Voting is open
Sakura Horizon (PMMM)
Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

A girl's best friend has just died.

In the wake of her friend's death, she'll have to do her best as a magical girl.

But the magical girl life isn't for everyone...
Prologue

DeclanDSI

Touhou 「 」 Youkai of 「Akasha」
Pronouns
???
You stand under a blooming cherry tree, sakura petals falling all around you to frame a panorama of the city below the cliffside in front of you, shining brilliantly like the starry sky above. The full moon shined, setting upon the ocean spreading out into the horizon.

You stare into its reflection.

You think your parents would be worried about you, staying outside this late at night, but they're on a business trip overseas right now. They have no say in what you want to do. They couldn't stop you from stepping forward into the night.

It is here, that your best friend, Kondo Kaoru, died without even a corpse to be seen, fighting against her senpai-turned-Witch, so Kyubey informed you.

The police had questioned you about her "disappearance," but you could say nothing of how she was a magical girl, saving people wherever she went because that would just get you labeled delusional, or worse, believed. Kyubey's policy on breaking the masquerade was made clear when she and her senpai had tried once to show the public that magic was real after finding out about the final fate of a magical girl, to mature into a Witch.

It just got many people's memories deleted and a severe warning that more extreme measures would be taken to remove the source that was unbalancing their system.

Her senpai was already feeling stressed from the magical girl life, mainly territorial conflicts with other magical girls, but when it was confirmed that she could never escape it, never break her fate of turning into a Witch or dying, never rely on society at large to help her, she started to fall apart.

You want to resent her senpai, for turning into a Witch, but you know that Kaoru would scold you for that. She would say to not forget that senpai had suffered too, that her heart had been broken too.

She would also say to not become a magical girl, but she is no longer here to say that.

She is no longer here to nag you about doing your homework and ask for advice in return. She is no longer here to cry on your shoulder, holding onto you as an anchor to a more normal world.

You stay silent for a long stretch of time.

You look towards Kyubey.

"Others would say to laugh when you are sad. Others would say to look up when you look down. I'm sure Kaoru would say something like that. Right, Kyubey?"

Kyubey replies, "I can neither confirm nor deny that with certainty, though I can predict that that sounds like her."

"I see, I see. I've been thinking about the things you've said to Kaoru and Mana-senpai. You've never explicitly lied once, have you? When they asked about where Witches come from, I realize now that you said they come from magical girls in a very roundabout way, such that we would interpret it to be the general curses of humans as a whole. Even now, like a lawyer and politician combined, you've said nothing of actual substance. You can predict that that sounds like her, but that doesn't mean you are predicting that Kaoru would say something like that. What do you think she would actually say to me?"

Kyubey says, "I do not have enough data to make an accurate prediction regarding your request."

"Why?"

Kyubey intones, "It was considered inefficient to gather in-depth information on Kondo Kaoru as she was always meant to be a short-term investment. In fact, it is remarkable that as the short-term investment she was, that she did not mature into a Witch immediately after Morishige Mana did so. Perhaps she felt a need to return to you? I believe this is the best attempt at sincere consolation I can make as of now. Was this not a likely implication behind your first question?"

"Yes... yes it was, Kyubey. Thank you, but if you can do that much, if you can be that nice, why is the magical girl system like this? Why does it have to be so cruel? Actually, scratch those questions, I have better ones suited to you. Why do you want magical girls to turn into Witches? What is the purpose behind the magical girl system?"

Kyubey says, "Have you heard of entropy?"

You nod.

Kyubey continues, "One day, the universe shall end. Imagine the universe as a string that is vibrating. What you humans call the Big Bang, is the supposedly inexplicable high-energy vibration of that string spawned from random fluctuations in it. As both ends of the string stretch out longer and longer, the vibration in that string smooths out, and eventually, that energy will be so spread out as to might as well have never existed for us in the universe as it is now. Probability states that such random fluctuations do not happen often enough to sustain the universe in its current state. Eventually, all energy will become unusable to us. This is, of course, a simplified explanation.

This was a troublesome state of affairs for our coalition of species and all yet-to-be-discovered species. We searched and searched for new physics and new techniques that could surpass the inevitable breakdown of the universe, but could not find any. Then, we stumbled upon a sapient species that still had emotions. You see, we had always known that emotions produce energy, but the energy put into a non-sapient creature producing emotions did not create enough, and so had expected the same to be for sapient species. Imagine our surprise when we found that emotional sapient species produce at least one nanosecond of a galaxy's worth more energy than is put into them. Using techniques too complicated to discuss in simplified terms, we could extend the life of the universe!

Your species is one of quintillions we have invested in to produce energy. Within your species, biological females, specifically six to about twenty years old, give or take, produce at the very least, twice as much energy as your male counterparts. Using the ecosystem produced by your emotions, known as karma, in conjunction with the phase change from despair to hope and hope to despair, we could have the lowest potential contractee produce in total if they complete all phase changes, human to magical girl, magical girl to Witch, at the very least the amount of energy a galaxy produces, from its birth to its death. We predict that your species has the potential to produce a god worthy of awe, one who could reshape all of reality at their will! Humanity, in this capacity, is certainly an unprecedented species."

"C-could I become a god? Could I revive Kaoru?"

Kyubey says, "Unfortunately, no, you do not have enough base potential to revive Kaoru. As to whether you could become a god, your current karmic potential is relatively high in comparison to the average magical girl, but if you contract in your current emotional state you could become one of the most powerful magical girls this world has ever seen, and of course, one of the most powerful Witches this world has ever seen. You certainly have the possibility of becoming a god."

You look away from Kyubey and clench your fist.

You know that Kaoru wouldn't want you to contract, but she is no longer here. You cannot revive her. If you contract, you can no longer say that you are living for her sake.

Your parents always complained about you being selfish. Kaoru always complained, but she put up with it because you were her best friend.

If you weren't selfish, you would be standing here, sending her off with a smile.

You wouldn't be thinking about contracting.

Were you kind enough to her? Did you pay enough attention to her? Did you actually give anything of meaning to her?

None of that matters now, does it?

At the very least, you know you can do this - you can never forget her.

Even if your love for her is selfish, even if you never told her how much you loved her, that you even loved her in that way at all, you can always remember her.

Rather, you don't want to forget her.

"Others might say to live in her memory and move on. Others might say to honor what she fought for."

You look at Kyubey, determined.

"Kyubey, I will remember her. I will never move on. At this moment, I have created a world with her, where we spent an eternity with each other. I will never move on from this world. I want this world, this moment to be eternal. This moment cannot be eternal if I live as a Human. Since I will eventually die as a Human, I must become a magical girl. As a magical girl, I can live forever. No, it's not that I live forever, as a magical girl, I can remember her forever, always living in this moment under the sakura tree."

Kyubey says, "Does this mean you have a wish?"

"Yes"

Kyubey intonates, "Are you willing to give your very soul for it? Are you willing to eventually become a monster for it? Is this truly the wish that shall overcome entropy?"

"Yes. Kyubey, no, that's not right. What is the name I should call you?"

Kyubey replies, "Kyubey is the nickname given to me by the current era of magical girls. The title I hold upon this planet is, Incubator."

"Then, Incubator! Grant my wish! I, Saigyouji Yuyuko, wish [ ]!"

[ ] I wish to remember Kondo Kaoru forever!

[ ] I wish to remember this moment, where I have spent an eternity with Kondo Kaoru, forever!

[ ] I wish to control grief! My own! That of others! The grief of the Witches! All of it! Pls, don't choose that wish. Just pls...

[ ] I wish to become a god!
Note: You'll get a conceptual version of Touhou Yuyuko's ability, the ability to manipulate death. https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Yuyuko_Saigyouji#Ability

[ ] Write-in
Note: When writing in, please put in the wish and the intent behind it. That'll shape the power behind it. The more of your potential is invested into the wish, the less magic capacity you'll have before you turn into a Witch. Automatically, your potential will invest itself to fulfill the wish as best it can in accordance with the intent, but if you focus on getting more magic capacity, your potential will try more to fulfill the wish in letter, not in spirit.

Have a song:
Make sure to turn on the subtitles.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGmhRnI-ULA

Last edited:
Saigyouji Yuyuko
Saigyouji Yuyuko:

Bio: A magical girl who might as well be a god. Her personality is an odd mix of ruthlessness, whimsy, and kindness. She is quite amoral, doing what she likes as she likes. Now that her moral compass in the world is gone, what will she do now? Will she try to live like her best friend would want her to live, or shall she do as she pleases, living selfishly as she always has?

Wish: "I, Saigyouji Yuyuko, wish to become a god! If I cannot live for the sake of Kaoru, I'll live for myself. As a magical girl, as a god, I declare that I shall never forget the dead so that I shall never forget this moment. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. That Kaoru would sacrifice herself to kill the Witch that Mana-senpai had become, truly I must have been too selfish for her, and in doing so, brought her death. That must be my purpose in life, to bring death so I can remember the dead. I'm a self-centered, selfish, solipsistic girl after all."

Abilities:
Magical Girl Abilities:​
Your body is significantly stronger than a regular Human's, as all magical girls are.​
Your senses are significantly stronger than a regular Human's, as all magical girls are.​
Your abilities in enchantment are currently unknown.​
Your abilities in healing are currently unknown.​
Your abilities in using magic are unknown.​
You can sense magical girls and witches, more specifically large sources of magic.​
Your weapons are fans.​
It costs 1/100,000 of your magic to summon them.​
You can cut through things with them and throw them like frisbees to slice through your opposition.​
You can change the weight and size of them.​
Wish Magic: You can kill. Without fail, you know you can kill anything. It doesn't matter if it's a person, an object, or a concept. To everything within your awareness, you can bring death to it.​
Killing Kyubey using your wish magic costs about 1/1000 of your capacity.​

Allies: Kondo Kaoru; Morishige Mana

Enemies: Certain rivals of her parents;

Neutral: ???

Last edited:
It's okay to post and vote now. I'll be setting up the information on the setting, characters, and other things on the informational threadmarks instead of using the tables like many other quests.

Edit: I also forgot to open the votes. Oops :p

Last edited:
Kondo Kaoru
Kondo Kaoru:

Bio: The best friend of the protagonist of this quest, Saigyouji Yuyuko. A kind person, she grew up with Yuyuko, sharing in everything. Influenced by Yuyuko's selfishness, Kaoru was selfish in her own way. To her, the happiness of everyone was more important than that of her friends. A kill one to save ten kind of person. When she realized how hopeless it was to change the system, how humanity was the few against the many, she started to drown in despair, only being kept afloat by Yuyuko. Was their relationship ever healthy? Kaoru died killing the Witch of Morishige Mana.

Wish: "I wish to bring happiness to others!"

Abilities: Her wish magic was the ultimate conclusion of her selfishness. Ranging from a low-level state of contentment all the way to drowning in happiness, she could temporarily change the perspective of others to achieve happiness no matter the situation. Though it was temporary, the after-effects of the change could warp a person in unhealthy ways. Of course, Kaoru realized the potential of her ability, and so sought to use it in benign ways, from helping others see the silver lining in things to curing depression and saving magical girls from witching out.

Allies: Saigyouji Yuyuko; Morishige Mana

Enemies: ???

Last edited:
Alright, this one should be fun!

[x]I wish that you would feel all the pain that you inflicted upon Kondo Kaoru! (Vengeful- how dare the bastard be so smug after causing Kaoru's death!)

Alright, this one should be fun!

[x]I wish that you would feel all the pain that you inflicted upon Kondo Kaoru! (Vengeful- how dare the bastard be so smug after causing Kaoru's death!)
Kyubey: "I would like to argue that I did not directly cause her death. I did have a hand in enabling the possibility, but Kaoru could have walked away from that Witch at any time. At the very beginning, Kaoru could have in fact chosen not to wish and become a magical girl. She knew the risks of dying to a Witch, yet she still choose to do so. Would you disrespect her choice, her determination in fighting for the sake of others, in making that wish? Kondo Kaoru should in fact be grateful. Her death will cause possibly the greatest Witch to ever be born, saving at least a trillion other emotional sapient species with the energy produced. Surely she would be happy to know that she gave that many beings a chance at happiness."

Last edited:
Kyubey: "I would like to argue that I did not directly cause her death. I did have a hand in enabling the possibility, but Kaoru could have walked away from that Witch at any time. At the very beginning, Kaoru could have in fact chosen not to wish and become a magical girl. She knew the risks of dying to a Witch, yet she still choose to do so. Would you disrespect her choice, her determination in fighting for the sake of others, in making that wish? In fact, Kondo Kaoru should in fact be grateful. Her death will cause possibly the greatest Witch to ever be born, saving at least a trillion other emotional sapient species with the energy produced. Surely she would be happy to know that she gave that many beings a chance at happiness."
I love it, that's so Kyuubey lol

Honestly, I wrote out that wish because I thought it might give us cool grudge magic while still staying within character with what we've seen so far, but a secondary motivation is definitely to see how Kyuubey reacts, so that's great :D

I love it, that's so Kyuubey lol

Honestly, I wrote out that wish because I thought it might give us cool grudge magic while still staying within character with what we've seen so far, but a secondary motivation is definitely to see how Kyuubey reacts, so that's great :D
While the Incubator consciousness assigned to the planet will experience an unimaginable amount of emotional and physical pain, literally because they are emotionless beings who do not have a real concept of emotional pain, the Collective will just send another Incubator unit. Simultaneously across the world, all Kyubey units will spasm and explode, traumatizing a lot of newer magical girls, and witching out many lonely magical girls who think Kyubey is truly their friend (Tomoe Mami). Congratulations, while you've disrupted the Incubator's plans, you've also disrupted the magical girl ecosystem, causing a spike in Witches and mysterious deaths and horrendous crimes around the world. It's even possible that a Witch has gotten to a world leader because there was no Incubator oversight for the week it took to send a replacement, and a Witch-kissed world leader has caused World War Three.

While this is only a hypothetical, this is definitely the hypothetical I'm going with if your vote gets chosen. You can navigate the wartorn lands of Japan and other countries during World War Three, maybe with nukes :D. Cause upheaval! Claim territory as a magical girl warlord! It's even possible that the Incubators will decide to lift the masquerade so that the governments can fight with magical girls instead of nuking themselves to death.

Keep in mind, this is only a hypothetical that I'm most definitely, probably going to choose if you guys choose this vote.

The threads of karma are tightly wrapped around our protagonist. She can easily change the world.

Last edited:
...well, okay then. You heard it here first friends, it is within our power to cause World War 3! C'mon, don't tell me you don't wanna be a post-apocalyptic meguca warlord.

Last edited:
Oh wait,

[X] I wish to always be me! (Stubborn, If you can't avoid being a witch then the only way to continue living for her is to...persist)

WW3 gang rise up, god has spoken and she demands the blood flow like water.

Oh wait,

[X] I wish to always be me! (Stubborn, If you can't avoid being a witch then the only way to continue living for her is to...persist)
You suddenly know how to be you, and no one else. You... JUST..... DO IT! JUST DO IT!

Philosophers around the world have searched for the boundary, the dividing line between a person and the world, and with your wish, you have found the answer.

They were all just pussies. They gotta JUST DO IT. MAKE YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE.

When people think Shakespear is profound for his "be or not to be," you can disabuse them of that notion by telling them how to be yourself.

You truly have surpassed all philosophers, for you have found out how to be yourself. No more teenage angst for you. No more hours of searching WikiHow for tips on being yourself.

On a more serious note, simply because of just how insanely big your wish potential is, you'll effectively be a hourai immortal. Sure, your fighting capabilities will be just average as a magical girl, but because you are wishing to be yourself, at that moment under the sakura tree, you were crystallized forever. Your soul gem can never change, can never be broken. You'll never be able to age, your body may become broken, but you can reset yourself via remembering how you were.

Still, you'll never change in personality, your baseline mood will be as at that moment when your wish, full of heartbroken determination, despair, hope that you'll eventually find something that can revive Kaoru, and something profoundly beautiful. To become a Witch is to change in self, but that would violate the wish, a thing that can never happen. Certainly, you have fulfilled your desires. From that moment on, you shall be as that moment, experiencing an eternity alongside the Kaoru in your heart under the sakura tree.

Then what conflict shall happen? Maybe it'll be to fulfill Kaoru's regrets? Maybe it'll be to do as you please, and other magical girls who would object to that will come into conflict with you. Perhaps an Akemi Homura will come along to investigate an anomaly?

[X]I wish that you would feel all the pain that you inflicted upon Kondo Kaoru! (Vengeful- how dare the bastard be so smug after causing Kaoru's death!)

Oh wait I just realised this is the WW3 vote

E: in the meantime have some more write-ins
- I wish that all this sorrow and grief would disappear! (Evasive, you hate this feeling in your heart and wants it all to go away)

Because I want to see what comes out

- I wish all you Incubators would just die! (Hateful, no more Kaorus even if the universe has to die for it)

because I don't want any cleanup crew to our personal junkyard turf

Last edited:
Morishige Mana
Morishige Mana:

Bio: Nyaa~ As one might be able to tell from her costume, she's a cat lover. She's a veteran magical girl, living for a surprising five years. Like a cat, she was quite territorial, only loosening up in the last year, just in time for Kaoru to join her as a kouhai. She had a pet black cat named Taiga, unfortunately, in the week before witching out, a neighboring magical girl with a severe grudge killed her cat while she was out hunting. Like a cat, she was quite vicious and eventually killed the magical girl in retaliation after five days of hunting the magical girl. Afterward, she buried Taiga at her favorite cherry tree and stayed there for a couple of days until she witched out.

Wish: "I wish for Taiga to stay with me forever!"

Abilities: She has the ability to manipulate luck. While her ability takes a tremendous amount of magic, with her luck, she found ways to "luckily" learn faster, fight better, plan better, deal with trauma better, etc., etc. Rather than using her ability in combat, she used it to improve herself, making her an extremely competent magical girl. While she usually prioritizes giving luck to her cat to have it live longer, the day the magical girl killed her cat, she was dealing with an unusually convenient outbreak of witches near the edge of her territory, forcing her to save her luck for herself.

Allies: Saigyouji Yuyuko; Kondo Kaoru

Enemies: ???

Last edited:
E: in the meantime have some more write-ins
- I wish that all this sorrow and grief would disappear! (Evasive, you hate this feeling in your heart and wants it all to go away)

Because I want to see what comes out

- I wish all you Incubators would just die! (Hateful, no more Kaorus even if the universe has to die for it)

because I don't want any cleanup crew to our personal junkyard turf
>wishes for no more sorrow and grief
>becomes full-blown psychopath
>Only hope is left. Thinks she can revive Kaoru without grief and sorrow to tell her otherwise.
>Rationally knows Kaoru can't be revived, irrationally searches for a way anyways
>starts experimenting with magical girls to see if she can somehow revive Kaoru
>coalition of magical girls to stop da mad scientist forms
>forms own organization in response
>CERN in all its Steins;Gate glory is birthed
>finds way to time travel (homurun saves the day :D)
>Kaoru is fated to die.
>magical girl coalition finds a way to time travel
>time travel war starts to somehow change the tracks of fate to a world where Kaoru doesn't die.
>Kaoru accumulates enough potential to become God
>All hail the new ruler of the Universe, Kaoru-kami-sama.
>Kaoru: I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair!

If you want a more serious take, stop believing anything after line five.

The Incubators are basically reality-warping gods with blue and orange morals. Sure, with Yuyuko's potential, she'll at least kill 1/1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 of their population, in other words, 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, of them, but they'll simply choose to avoid the solar system then. At this point, the quest would be about a race for time in finding a way to create magical girls so that the Witches don't eat up the planet Earth, and replacing the Incubator system. The attrition rate of Witches vs their proliferation is heavily slanted towards their proliferation. The average magical girl will kill hundreds of witches at least, but without Kyubey to help balance the system, it'll collapse.

Hey, at least you have a conceptual advantage against alien races and can pretty much insta-kill them. In fact, in the long-term, this might be better for Humanity, if they survive this stage. With you as their alien-killing machine, Humanity can spread freely amongst the stars under your aegis with no competition. Plus, with Kyubey no longer deciding on the fate of Humanity, Humanity no longer has to face the vague threat of Kyubey deciding there is a contractee worth enough energy to write off the Earth once they witch out.

>wishes for no more sorrow and grief
>becomes full-blown psychopath
>Only hope is left. Thinks she can revive Kaoru without grief and sorrow to tell her otherwise.
>Rationally knows Kaoru can't be revived, irrationally searches for a way anyways
>starts experimenting with magical girls to see if she can somehow revive Kaoru
>coalition of magical girls to stop da mad scientist forms
>forms own organization in response
>CERN in all its Steins;Gate glory is birthed
>finds way to time travel (homurun saves the day :D)
>Kaoru is fated to die.
>magical girl coalition finds a way to time travel
>time travel war starts to somehow change the tracks of fate to a world where Kaoru doesn't die.
>Kaoru accumulates enough potential to become God
>All hail the new ruler of the Universe, Kaoru-kami-sama.
>Kaoru: I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair!

If you want a more serious take, stop believing anything after line five.

The Incubators are basically reality-warping gods with blue and orange morals. Sure, with Yuyuko's potential, she'll at least kill 1/1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 of their population, in other words, 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, of them, but they'll simply choose to avoid the solar system then. At this point, the quest would be about a race for time in finding a way to create magical girls so that the Witches don't eat up the planet Earth, and replacing the Incubator system. The attrition rate of Witches vs their proliferation is heavily slanted towards their proliferation. The average magical girl will kill hundreds of witches at least, but without Kyubey to help balance the system, it'll collapse.

Hey, at least you have a conceptual advantage against alien races and can pretty much insta-kill them. In fact, in the long-term, this might be better for Humanity, if they survive this stage. With you as their alien-killing machine, Humanity can spread freely amongst the stars under your aegis with no competition. Plus, with Kyubey no longer deciding on the fate of Humanity, Humanity no longer has to face the vague threat of Kyubey deciding there is a contractee worth enough energy to write off the Earth once they witch out.
You speak as if the prospect of apocalyptic disaster or moral bankruptcy deters me

You speak as if the prospect of apocalyptic disaster or moral bankruptcy deters me
Just like the protagonists of many RPG's, we can become a murderhobo, aka adventurer, exploring the possibly ending world. We'll probably defeat the Demon Queen of Witches or something and be praised as a hero for being a murderhobo.

Last edited:
[X]I wish that you would feel all the pain that you inflicted upon Kondo Kaoru! (Vengeful- how dare the bastard be so smug after causing Kaoru's death!)

World War 3? Sign me up and buckle in, ain't no way this wouldn't be a wild ride.

Last edited:
Voting is open
Back