Status
Not open for further replies.
*Chapter Nine: A-head*

I kept my hands in my pockets and watched from a respectful distance as Jeff carefully stepped into the pond, making sure her feet wouldn't suffer the same effects that mine had; and then pushed through the semi-liquid to immerse herself. After a reasonably short time, she stepped right back out, looking much the same - but with many subtle differences. She was sleeker, more streamlined - and smiling. She bent her torso forward, backward, all around; broke straight into a gallop and bounded around us, laughing.

After Sarah had repeated the process, and the two of them were quite literally rolling in the grass, I let myself smile a bit.

Joe wandered my way. "I'm surprised the Quebeckers convinced the spirits to do that."

I shrugged. "Maybe the spirits' minds are close enough to human that they responded to my little speech about compassion. Maybe the Quebecois have a politically rising star, and the spirits respond to that. Maybe they're testing the waters to see how well a less absolutist immigration policy does in the real world."

"They look like they're having fun. I always enjoy having four legs - I'm tempted to jump in and see if the spirits will let me join them."

"What, and leave me as the only biological bunny? However would you fulfill your job of giving my bunny-hugs?"

"With more limbs, I could probably hug you even harder. Or maybe the spirits would let me have another me try their shape out."

"Well, if you're going to, you should do it soon. I plan on rolling Munchkin out of here in, oh, ten minutes or so."

"Why the rush? Have somewhere to be?"

"Let's see - the robo-fac is breaking down and I don't know how long it'll keep working, or if I can fix it; I've got piles of warning signs to drop off on the roads leading to Buffalo; I've got an infestation of snake-oids to neutralize, which may require tweaking the paragliders into crop dusters; Joe One still hasn't come back, so I should check in on what he's been up to; I've got heliograph stations to drop off, squiddies to work out the equivalent of a tax system for, and that's not even starting to get into interacting with groups of humans. Oh, and I should probably drop those three off somewhere along the way, assuming they're not going to be living here."

"That's a lot of things to do. Are you sure you can-"

Joe was interrupted as one of the blue foxtaurs practically skidded to a halt in front of us, immediately followed by the other. I noticed that their scent was at least as strong as ever, though even that odor had improved. I also tried to pretend that their fur made an adequate substitute for clothing for preserving their modesty, or at least that we were all part of a culture in which naturism was an unremarkable lifestyle choice.

"Did you say you're sending us away?" asked the first one, who then let her tongue hang out to pant a bit.

"Well," I shrugged, "Not exactly. If you want a ride, I'll be heading out soon, is all."

The two of them looked at each other, tails wagging. The second one said, "Lady asks if /we/ want a ride."

The first said back, "Lady is very silly."

The pair of them both took a step closer to me - and after a very confused few seconds, I found myself sitting on the back of one, holding onto her frontal anatomy to keep myself from getting flung off as the pair ran through the grass.

Once I managed to collect my wits, I snorted, rolled my eyes - and let them have their fun.

I could come up with a very rational and proper excuse for why, a few minutes after I was back on my own two feet, I came out of Munchkin bearing more than enough water-firing weaponry to outfit the whole gang, introducing the activity by yelling my head off and plastering the blue-furred twins with a water balloon each, before letting them 'steal' the various water-guns from me... maybe something about trust-rebuilding exercises or the fact that I was riding high after making my number go up to ten or that it really was a hot and sunny day that the water nicely helped us all cool down from... but why lie?

(Of course I cheated - I kept the bun-bots in reserve as a firing line in case Bear Joe felt grumpy about not joining in. When Red jumped on his back and rode after the fox-twins, I figured that was a good enough excuse to go out in a blaze of glory, let the others 'accidentally' see me lining them up on Munchkin's other side, and then chase me around to trigger my own trap onto myself.)

Once everyone was tuckered out, or at least willing to lean back and relax a bit, I said, "So, Sarah - uh, which of you is Sarah?" One raised her hand, and after a moment of thought, I pulled a white kerchief out of my pocket and tossed it to her. "To tell you apart," I explained, and she tied it around her wrist. "Anyway, I wanted to ask each of you - do you have any plans? Is there a particular place you'd like to go?"

"Plan was, hit city, grab loot, buy ticket, ship west, find Zone, change back to human. Or to anything. Now - well, still feels weird, weirdest to have big giant mouth in what feels like belly-button, but... not as bad weird."

"Still going to try to change back to human?"

Jeff spoke up, "Maybe, maybe not. Not so important now. As long as we change together, or stay together, I'm good."

"It sounds to me," I mused aloud, "that you might be at something of loose ends."

"Hunh?"

Toffee interjected, "Lady says you got no job right now. Lady prolly dancing and not getting to point and wants to offer you job."

"Er," I said expressively, "Something like that. You, too, Toffee."

Sarah's ears perked forward, and asked, "What job?"

"Well, I'm tempted to offer you the positions of official royal steeds... but more seriously, my plans require some digging up of old cities, to try and find out what happened to them. It's not quite the same as looting, but I'm pretty sure you don't need to worry about dying from poisons just from walking near the places..."

The trio looked at each other, then back at me. Sarah asked, "What's the pay?"

"That depends. What do you use for money?"

--

The answer turned out to be 'almost anything'. The good people of Erie were still American enough to measure all prices in dollars - they just didn't bother using any actual, you know, dollar bills. (Anyone who wanted those was free to find an old suburban bank and empty a vault.) Some preferred gold (or, more usually, silver), some signed and countersigned IOUs, some bartered fish or chickens - and, somehow, it seemed to work well enough, at least as far as the trio of Erieans were concerned.

"In that case," I eventually nodded, "I'm sure we can work something out. In the meantime - I started making something for you earlier, and it should be ready by now." I headed over to the Chamber of Secrets, and just in a few moments returned, with a few bundles draped over an arm. "I remember once reading that the surest way to tell an intelligent species from a non-intelligent one was... pockets." I grabbed one bundle and unfurled it, revealing a light tan safari vest. "I'm pretty sure these will fit you, without having to come up with a custom design for your other-than-human anatomy. And trust me, I know how annoying clothing is on fur, so I went with the most comfortable lining I've found so far..."

Jeff and Sarah seemed happy enough as they donned the garments, and I'll admit I was at least slightly more comfortable when they were dressed. I glanced at Toffee. "I got one for you, too, if you want." She just nodded and accepted it without even a single 'bleep'.

"Those," I said, "are gifts. "These," I opened my palm to show what was inside, "are symbols. The royal crown-and-leaves, in lapel pin form. I'll admit that it's fairly understated for a uniform - but we can always work out minor details later. The point is - when you wear these, you are showing everyone that you are in my service, under my orders, and I am ultimately responsible for your actions. I'm... /hoping/ the ideal appeals to you. If it doesn't, we can work out a more ordinary sort of employment arrangement."

Sarah asked, "Do we decide now?"

I shrugged. "You don't have to. You can take the pins without agreeing, while you think it over - just let me know before you put them on, and we can work out exactly what that will involve."

As the trio plucked the bits of metal and enamel from my hand, Red asked, "Don't I get clothes and jewels, too?"

I gave her a 'really?' expression. "If you want me to make you something else to wear, just ask. As for the pin - sorry, but you're already under orders from the Council, and it would be a conflict of interest for you to be under my orders at the same time."

"Maybe I like being conflicted."

"Taking the pin means you're not allowed to tell Bear Joe to sit on me again."

"Maybe I don't like being conflicted."

"That's what I thought."

Joe Three softly spoke up. "And me?"

"You're still under orders to hug me and all that jazz?"

"I wouldn't put it that way. Yes."

"Then no, no pin for you. Joe One, maybe - as far as I know, he's gone so far outside what he had to do that he's pretty much following his own conscience these days. Don't ask me how this is going to work once you start merging and splitting up again - I worked out my protocols for such things before I knew people like you even existed, but you're not bound by them."

"You are starting to talk fast again."

"I can live with being a bit manic. Especially after a good day like today."

--

I parked Munchkin just outside the factory's front entrance. "Now," I said to the gang, "the parking lot is supposed to have been cleaned up of toxin, but the cleanser is, uh, kind of messy, so if you really want fresh air, you can head outside, but you might prefer Munchkin's roof. More importantly, I'm going to be working on some sensitive stuff, and there are all sorts of ways things could go wrong if you came in with me, including some dangers that it would take me longer to explain than I plan on being in there for - so if you need me, just send one of the bun-bots in after me, alright? There's brownies in the food machine, water in the sink, reading material in the lab, and whatever chairs and beds you want to arrange in here. Everyone got all that?"

I got nods from everyone but Bear Joe and Wagger, so I nodded back, pulled on my utility vest (which could hold many more electronics tools than the bat-belt), and slipped into the factory.

I had a fairly simple idea I wanted to try out: When a computer starts going wonky, one of the first things to attempt is a simple hard reset, turning the power off and on. One of the problems with doing that to the factory was that whoever had designed the place had put in enough backups and redundancies to satisfy even my urges toward being Crazy Prepared. On the one hand, that might have been what had kept the place in running shape until I found it; on the other hand, it made it hard to separate any given piece of computing equipment from all the direct power lines, indirect UPSes, and internal battery backups. On the gripping hand, this was an industrial site rather than a home computer, and trying to reboot anything without a manual might be impossible, so I wanted to find a relatively useless piece of computing machinery to try to power-cycle first; but, again, everything was so redundant with hardwired data connectivity that isolating a single computer wouldn't be easy.

I was elbow-deep in cables behind what I was fairly sure was some sort of rackmount server, Gofer-Bun holding a light over my shoulder as I tried to sort out the Gordion-esque tangle, when noises started. I looked around, but they seemed to be in some far point of the factory, so I went back to work. However, just when I'd finished identifying which cables were for power and which were for data, the machinery in the industrial-sized room I was in also came to life. Even pressing my ears down on the back of my head, I winced at the volume; deciding not to test Bun-Bun's ability to regenerate hearing loss, I put in a pair of earplugs.

The nearby printers, presses, mills, and less identifiable machinery were all whirring away madly. I couldn't really make out what they were making - or even make a good guess about what sort of product would require /all/ of them. I was /fairly/ sure that my fiddling with the cables wouldn't have triggered anything, since I hadn't started unplugging any yet. Maybe I happened to be around during a maintenance interval, or a backlogged order was just now hitting the top of the scheduler, or...

I pulled Gofer-Bun out of the way of an automated forklift, which was going fast enough that its prongs would have put the realism of her innards to the test if she hadn't moved. It was carrying a simple drill press - and, to my astonishment, dumped it into the feedstock hopper of another machine, which rapidly tore the smaller machinery into small chunks of shredded metal.

A sharp light started throwing intermittent shadows from the middle of the room. Squinting and peering between my fingers, I was just able to make out some sort of arc-welder being applied near one of the room's main support beams. A deeper squint, and a correction - being applied /to/ one of the room's main support beams.

That was /not/ any sort of standard maintenance procedure I could imagine.

I froze in place for several long seconds, as alternative courses of action raced through my mind - try to stop the self-destruction (and risk becoming feedstock), run away screaming, try to salvage whatever was most valuable...

I finally managed to move, to look at the computing machine I'd chosen. A couple of feet wide and deep, and twice that high - and, on the very bottom, caster wheels.

I made a choice. Maybe a bad one, but it was better than standing like a deer in the headlights. "Gofer-Bun," I ordered, "Unplug /all/ these cables, as fast as you can."

The thing weighed, as best as I could figure, somewhere over half a ton. Forklift-bots were racing back and forth down the main walkways. The lighting was abysmal. The roof was groaning as its supports were fed into machines that would be crushed when the place collapsed.

I was tense, dodging every random robot that came by, getting ready to abandon both computer and bun-bot to run for my life if things got one step worse, flinching at every new form of cacophony that made it through my earplugs, trying to keep my eyes open for any clue about /what/ was going on...

... and abruptly, we pushed through the door to the lobby section, where all was perfectly calm and peaceful.

Mostly.

From another entrance to the factory floor, I saw a forklift-bot drop off a pallet, carrying a pile of shiny metal things. Jeff calmly stepped over, started scooping them into bags, and slung them over Sarah's back. She staggered a little under the weight, then started trotting to the entrance; Toffee was just coming back, carrying empty bags.

Behind me, the door opened again - and the harsh light of a welder announced the doorframe itself was now being taken apart. The trio looked up at the light, squinting in my direction.

I gritted my teeth, consciously controlling as much of my body's movements as I could. "You three," I said, without elaboration. "Help me get this aboard Munchkin," I tapped the top of what I hoped was a server. "As gentle as possible, but as fast as possible." There was a great grinding, groaning, rumbling noise, and a cloud of dust billowed into the lobby, turning the fractalline decorations into mere oddly-shaped lumps. "Emphasis on /fast/." I tried not to breathe in until I'd pulled a filter mask from my vest.

Outside - another welder thing had started on a lamp-post. With five bodies, several of them with non-human advantages in leverage or strength, it was a lot easier to roll the computer to one of Munchkin's airlocks, and up and through.

"Get aboard," I stated.

Toffee declared, "But there's more-"

"Get aboard," I repeated, "or be left behind. Argue later."

They got.

Once they, and Gofer-Bun, and I were all aboard, and I'd closed the door, I called out, "Munchkin: Bug-out, bug-out, bug-out." Without any further commands, the vehicle started running through the pre-arranged emergency escape sequence, heading at maximum speed to a location at least one klick distant. The acceleration knocked everybody onto the floor. Or, in Jeff's case, onto one of several piles of shiny metal things.

I'd known to brace myself, so I was still standing. I reached down and picked up one of the shinies: it was the size and shape of a credit card, made of a silvery metal which the embossed letters claimed (in Free Press letters) to be silver. Specifically, three point five zero cubic centimeters of silver (at twenty degrees Celsius), massing thirty-six point seven grams, or one point one eight troy ounces. The crown and leaves were drawn with etching. On the other side were my own profile and name (in classic English letters).

I picked up one from another pile. Titanium, fifteen point seven grams. I wiped my glasses free of dust, and squinted - I could make out nickel, copper, aluminium, lead, bronze, and there were more piles I couldn't see from where I was standing.

"By any chance," I said, as various species pulled themselves onto various forms of legs, "Is the explanation for what I am seeing that you noticed the factory self-destructing, and so you decided to... extract as much metal as you could?"

The foxtaurs glanced at each other, but Toffee just shook her head. "No, ma'am."

"Ah, I'm a 'ma'am' now. I thought that was a term given to people you respected."

Sarah spoke up, "We /do/ respec' you, Lady-ma'am."

"Very well. Then please. Explain what happened."

Toffee took a step forward. "Well, you see, it was like this-"

I cleared my throat. "And please," I added, "respect me enough to skip the more obvious lies, and the ones that I can disprove by looking at camera recordings."

Toffee said, "Oh. Um - well, the front part didn't /look/ dangerous, and Joe Three said she'd been there, so we went and looked around. I saw something asking me what I wanted, and I said 'money' - and, well, piles of it started-."

She broke off as Munchkin skipped a half-step forward, sending us all to the floor.

Jeff, wide-eyed, asked, "What was /that/?"

I called up a virtual window of a rear view. "At a guess," I commented, "given the lack of flame - possibly a compressed-air tank blowing. Or maybe a large section of roof." I tried taking a deep breath, and letting it out. "Well," I said, as steadily as I could manage, "I suppose that means I'm going to need to adjust most of my future plans. And re-evaluate the decisions I made leading up to this one, so that I never have to kick myself and say 'I should have seen that coming'. ... I'm suddenly thinking of the bun-bot I left manning the heliograph on the roof. It's a bit of a long-shot, but I'm going to try relaying a message to the university tower and back to tell her to abandon her post. Be a bit tricky at this speed - don't want to lose another bun-bot to a tree-branch here. Gofer-Bun, retrieve heliograph."

As I started fiddling with one of the roof accesses, Sarah whispered, "There was - is - somebody still there?"

"Just a bun-bot," I said. "They look like me, and now there's no way any more can ever be made, but they're not people. They don't think, just follow orders." I ignored her for a while as I balanced giving orders to Munchkin, helping Gofer-Bun lift the heliograph, and recalling the signals I'd need to give to get the order relayed. Assuming there was still a bun-bot left to relay any orders to.

After a few minutes, that was done, and I closed the roof hatch, cutting off the noise of the wind.

Toffee spoke up, "Look, I'm sorry-"

I interrupted without looking at her. "I doubt that."

"What?"

I continued packing away the heliograph. "I suspect you are simply at the whipped puppy stage, trying to avoid as much punishment as possible. A real apology involves an acknowledgement of how much the offender hurt the victim, and an announcement of some sort of intended behavioural change to prevent a recurrence. You are not even fully aware of the magnitude of what you have done, so how can you be truly sorry?"

Sarah asked, "Mag-ni-tude?"

"The facility that is now self-destructing, if it had not been tampered with, had the potential for building a wide array of medicines, fertilizer, farming machines, vehicles, bun-bots like Gofer-Bun here, and many more objects of true worth."

Toffee objected, "But we've /got/ worth! Just look at all this money!"

I finally looked up at her. For some reason, she took two steps back, and Joe Three slid her shoulder in front of Toffee's. "You really think this... /money/ has any value?"

"Well - yeah, of course! It's money! A little funny-looking, but silver's silver!"

I rubbed my forehead, and pinched the bridge of my nose. "Would it be safe to conclude that you have had absolutely no training in either microeconomics or macroeconomics?"

"You don't have to say it like /that/."

"Then I can only conclude that you are completely unaware of the Spanish and Portuguese empires, of four centuries ago, more or less."

"What about 'em?"

"When they discovered this continent, they decided to exploit it by bringing as much gold and silver as they could back to their homeland. They brought so much /money/ that they flooded the market, dropping the value of precious metals precipitously, ruining their economies. Before they did that, they were the most powerful empires on the planet. A couple of centuries later, they were barely also-rans. All their power, all their influence, their armies and navies, their overseas colonies - frittered away, because people grabbed hold of all the /money/ they could, instead of wealth."

"But-"

"Toffee - if you'd had all this silver before we'd met, how much of it would you have been willing to pay to be cured? Or, more to the point, how much would you have wanted to hold on to, if holding onto it meant you would die?"

"But-"

"You are, apparently, completely clueless about the true wealth that you and your greed for /money/ have destroyed. What is worse, I can't even blame you for your actions. I /assumed/ that a group of people planning on looting a city would understand the concept of areas that looked safe but were dangerous; and even if I hadn't assumed that, I could have prevented this whole mess just by locking Munchkin's doors."

Joe Three said, "Bunny, that's enough. You should go back, get some sleep-"

Wagger coughed a brief lungful of dust out, then I continued interrupting her, "I don't see why. Just because I lost the main tool I could have used to save countless lives is destroyed doesn't mean I don't still have lots to do. Warning signs to cure, the snake-oid poison to distribute, and so on."

Jeff spoke up, quietly. "What about us?"

I shrugged. "You can do whatever you like. You can get off wherever you find convenient, with as much of this /money/ as you care for. After all, you arranged for it, so if you wanted to argue the point, it probably technically counts as yours-"

Red Deer finally spoke. "Bear Joe, sit on her."

"What?" I blinked in surprise as the large creature made his way over. He looked at me, I rolled my eyes, and sat down so he didn't have to work to get me down. I grunted as his weight settled onto my lap.

Red Deer stated, "You are not thinking straight. You are angry."

"Of course I am. That doesn't mean I'm making incorrect decisions."

"How is insulting and demeaning these people, people you saved and gave new bodies to and offered to hire, a correct decision?"

"I planned on hiring them because I thought they had at least some modicum of intelligence. As that doesn't seem to be the case, I don't envisage them being of any more use than bun-bots, simple bodies following orders instead of thinking for themselves."

Red Deer crossed her arms. "Is that how you see me?"

"Of course not. You don't even follow orders."

She rolled her eyes at me. "Is that how you see /people/?"

I managed to shrug. "I have a job to do, that's more important than anything else I can think of. People who can help with that, I'll work with to the best of my ability. People who can't, are most likely wasting my time."

Joe Three sat down next to me. "What about friendship?"

"I understand for most people, it's a pretty fundamental drive. I've never been particularly good at it."

Joe waved at Sarah, calling for her to come over, pointing for her to sit down on the other side of me. Sarah seemed nervous, but stretched out there. "Put your head on her shoulder - hug her, if you like." Joe looked at me. "You saved her life. You pulled political strings I didn't even know you had to fix her body. You're telling me you don't feel /anything/ positive for her?"

Uncomfortable, I shrugged again. "About as much as I do anyone else I've met."

Joe frowned. "And she's just set you back by - years, maybe. You don't feel... betrayed? Angry at her? Want her to ask you to forgive her?"

"There's nothing to forgive. Like I said - it was my fault."

Sarah whispered, "Was our fault, too. My fault." I blinked, and tilted my head as I looked at her. She looked back. "Should have spoke, I. Should have - stayed on machine. Done your orders. I can, now?"

"Er - can what?"

"You order, I do. Anything. Everything."

I coughed slightly, then shook my head. "I... appreciate the thought. In... a few ways. But - the idea makes me uncomfortable. In all sorts of ways."

"Isn't that what you asked? Apology part is making change?"

"Sarah," I put my hand on hers, "Right now - I look at you, and I see a child, someone who would rather go exploring than heed any warnings. It would be - unfair of me to take advantage of a child's promises."

She pulled her arms away. "Am /not/ a child! Fuck Jeff often! Daily, some days!"

I felt my face heat, and I looked away. "That's - not the point. Uh - Joe, a little help here?"

Joe said, "I think you're doing fine digging your own hole."

I sighed, rubbed my forehead again. All the tenseness I'd picked up while running through the factory suddenly drained away, leaving all my limbs heavy. "It's been a long day," I stated. "I'm going to lie down. Um - maybe tell Munchkin to hit the sign drop-off spots first. Set an alarm for when we stop, to set the signs."

Joe asked, "Can that wait?"

I glared at her. "How many people do /you/ want to die, wandering into VX residue with no warning?"

"Fine, fine. But you don't have to do /everything/ yourself."

"Eh, I suppose not. I think I can tell the bun-bots what to do before I crash."

"I meant, us."

"Oh. Well, I suppose it's not that complicated of a job, and would save me the effort." I put the back of my hand to my mouth to hide a yawn. "Bear Joe, you joining me?"

As my life-sized teddy and I headed back to our usual mattress, my bunny ears overheard Jeff ask, "She fucks him?"

Red answered, "Not yet, anyway. Just sleeps beside him. I don't think she does anything but sleep, with anyone."

I called back, "I can still hear you, you know."

Red called right back, "I know!"

I rolled my eyes, grunted, and flopped into bed.

Um... so how does a make money command let the factory explode?

So yeah they don't have an university education in social or economic sciences which is what most people need to have that much an understanding of how money works.
What the hell did Bunny expect when she picked up some uneducated hicks from bumfuck nowhere that can't even speak in halfway correct sentences? I find it rather surprising that they even know as much about money as they did.

I think Bunny suffers from a severe case of Ivory Tower syndrome on top of her shizoid condition.
Seriously I find it far more likely that the robot overlords have decided to blow the factory up and took the making money command as an excuse to do it.

Um... so how does a make money command let the factory explode?

Bunny's current theory: That the computer systems were degrading, so that /any/ command at that point would have been enough to trigger out-of-control production.

So yeah they don't have an university education in social or economic sciences which is what most people need to have that much an understanding of how money works.

As a data point, neither I nor Bunny took any relevant social or economic courses at university.

What the hell did Bunny expect when she picked up some uneducated hicks from bumfuck nowhere that can't even speak in halfway correct sentences? I find it rather surprising that they even know as much about money as they did.

I think Bunny suffers from a severe case of Ivory Tower syndrome on top of her shizoid condition.

That's certainly possible, though I've been thinking more in terms of 'typical mind fallacy'.

Seriously I find it far more likely that the robot overlords have decided to blow the factory up and took the making money command as an excuse to do it.

Neither confirm nor deny, yadda yadda. <ahem>

As a data point, neither I nor Bunny took any relevant social or economic courses at university.
Yeah, but you're the person who actually knows first contact protocolls...
Most people don't know stuff outside their fields that goes beyond basic general knowlege.
That's certainly possible, though I've been thinking more in terms of 'typical mind fallacy'.
Isn't that the same as Ivory Tower syndrome? Assuming that everyone else knows the same stuff you know.
Well, I guess Bunny has paid the price for not considering other people's knowlege and situation again. I hope she learns from it.
Neither confirm nor deny, yadda yadda. <ahem>
One day you will have to! I hope :p

Surely an ever-so-slightly pre-singularity society would have more than one fabhouse. She just needs to find another. You know, in between all the other stuff she's doing.

*Chapter Ten: A-sleep*

Wet fur, strong enough to hide any other scents.

Rain, pattering on a roof.

Unbrushed teeth.

On my back, a weight holding down each of my arms.

An overfull bladder.

The last sensation led me to open my eyes. In the soft glow of Munchkin's dim nightlights, I found myself staring at a sleeping blue fox's face. Turning my head - another one, close enough that I could make out each individual strand of fur even without my glasses. A sheet covered all three of us - and other than that, nothing but our own fur did.

"Well, this is cliched," I observed aloud.

Fox eyes opened.

"Lady is awake," came from behind me.

"Lady is still angry?" came from ahead of me.

"Lady has to go pee," came from me, and they lifted their human-ish torsos so that I could.

Once that was taken care of, I leaned against the washroom's doorframe, brushing my teeth as I looked down at my bed, and its two unexpected occupants. I stuck the brush in the corner of my mouth to ask, "What time is it?"

"Lady slept two days."

"Red Deer put drug in brownie."

"Lady's tail ate brownie."

I glanced over my shoulder at Wagger, who looked up at me with innocent slit-pupiled eyes. I rolled my own, and looked back at the pair. Only slightly garbled by my oral ministrations, I inquired, "Where are we?"

"Quarry."

"Limestone quarry."

"Joe asked Munchkin for place with low profile."

"Munchkin found place below ground."

"Mm-hm." I turned around to spit and such. Once I was done, I started dressing. "Do anything while you had me under?"

"Oh yes."

"Lots."

"As much as we could."

I had my undies on by then, so I crossed my arms and /looked/ at them.

"Lady thinks we fucked her."

"Lady still mad at us."

"Lady should know us better."

"If Lady wants sex, Lady just needs asking."

"Lady needs more sleep?"

I grunted. "Lady - /I/ - have slept quite enough, thank you very much."

They chorused, "You're welcome."

I sighed. "I might regret asking - but what /have/ you been doing?"

"Worked on your list."

"Toffee started at top, looked for what we could do."

"Signs were easy."

"Everyone going near Buffalo and gets poisoned, is their own fault now."

"Even added more signs where smoke fell."

"Lady forgot to add that to list, Toffee thought you'd want it done."

I paused with my business skirt halfway up my legs. "She... wasn't wrong."

"While we did signs, Joe stayed with Clara."

"Talked to her about snakes."

"How to poison them."

"How to find them."

"How to fly."

"Joe doesn't like flying."

"Jeff and I are too heavy for flying machines."

"Toffee learned how."

"Clara taught where to put poison baits."

"Talked about shooting snakes, but they hide too good."

"That village is soaked in poison now."

"Snakes should be all poisoned now."

"Should watch for new ones, just in case."

I sighed a bit. "Well - that was fast. Can't complain about that, really. Had to be done, and I was out of it. I can complain about feeding Wagger a drugged brownie, though."

"Red Deer said you were going to pop."

"Stress levels through roof."

"Lady doesn't drink."

"Doesn't fuck."

"Doesn't party."

"Doesn't do drugs."

"Doesn't do sports."

"Doesn't do art."

"Doesn't talk."

"Doesn't get massages."

"Doesn't have a hobby."

"Does meditate, but not enough."

"Does walk around nature, but not lately."

"Hasn't listened to music."

"Hasn't read anything but important stuff."

"Has a pet, but Wagger can't play fetch."

"Not well."

"Short games."

"Very short."

I cleared my throat, and they nudged their almost-conversation back onto something resembling a topic.

"Red Deer said you were going crazy."

"That she'd have to say no to all your plans."

"Even the good ones."

"Bear would have to sit on you all the time."

"She wanted different solution."

"Rode Bear off into forest, looking for one."

"Came back."

"Hasn't told us what it is."

"I think it's drugs, from forest plants."

"You think all plants are drugs."

"Well, they are."

"Apples?"

"Apple seeds have poison. Poison's a kind of drug."

I coughed again.

"I think she went looking for boy bunnies."

"No you don't."

"I just said I do."

"You think she went looking for /man/ bunnies."

"Oh. Yeah, I do."

I turned away from the bedroom. I spoke to the air, "I think the food maker's got a setting for coffee. Never drank the stuff before, but maybe I should start..."

--

A short time later, I was sitting on top of Munchkin's roof, looking out at the plants extending their dominion over bare white rock, while sipping a hot beverage that was based on mint leaves that somebody had picked and stored away in the pantry.

My silent musings were interrupted as Toffee swung open a roof hatch behind me, looked around, and finally pulled herself all the way through. "You're not planning on jumping off, are you?"

I didn't turn. "If I wanted to commit suicide, I'd have the bun-bots freeze me. Maybe some other schmuck would figure out how to fix things by the time someone were to thaw me out."

"Oh. Uh..."

"No, I'm not planning on killing myself that way, either."

"Good. Really bleeping don't want you to do that."

"You all seem to have been doing fairly well on your own."

"Well, for a day or two, yeah, but we were just working on the to-do list you made."

"You've got the list. You don't need me to keep following it."

"Sure we do. I don't know what half the bleeping stuff on it even /means/."

"Clara could explain, if you asked her."

"Look, are you /trying/ to get bleeping rid of us?"

"Not... quite. More the opposite."

"Uh - gather more people?"

"Let you get rid of me."

"Now why would you bleeping want that?"

"Because one of the only ways I know how to keep myself sane is to spend as much time on my own as possible. I was starting to get used to Joe - but now there's her, and Red, and Boomer, and you, and the fox twins, and Alphie, and..." I trailed off, and shrugged. "I can't even trust my own tail. I would be a much happier rabbit if I chucked the whole thing and wandered off into the forest by myself."

"Aren't you supposed to be some kind of bleeping queen?"

"That started as an attempt to get around a bit of bureaucracy, turned into a running joke, and by now is a farce."

"So you're /not/ a queen?"

"If I really wanted, I could push the point, and get acknowledged as a queen by, well, anyone I cared to."

"So what's wrong with that?"

"Being a queen? Nothing. Being a /mad/ queen? I'd rather be a sane forest hermit."

"Okaaaay... so why are you still here?"

"Abandoning my goals in favour of other goals is one thing. Leaving essentially random people who I can't trust not to drug me in charge of technology that could allow them to create and use Weapons of Mass Destruction is a different sort of irresponsibility altogether."

"What are you bleeping talking about, 'Mass Destruction'?"

I tried to be careful about edging around some of the details I'd decided to keep secret. "Do you think that the sorts of poison you used on the snake-oids can only be targeted on the one species?" I finally did turn my head to look at her. "Do you think that that's the most dangerous piece of tech available around here?"

"You mean it's bleeping /not/?"

"I hear you've learned to fly. In the more secure parts of Munchkin, I have a weapon which can be used to kill a person from - well, I'm not going to give too many secrets away, but from higher up than any rifle can reach. If I put my mind to it... I expect that I have the power to kill off any human, or group of humans, I've met so far. Well, except maybe Technoville."

"So, uh... why don't you?"

"Well, for one thing, I don't particularly /want/ to. Even if I did have some atavistic urge to force other people to kiss my hoof at gunpoint, I'd have to wreck so much in the process that that would be the /only/ thing I'd be able to do. Any chance of getting people who are actually willing to help me solve /important/ problems would just be right out."

"Don't knock a good foo - er, hoof-licking until you've tried it. What sort of problems are you thinking of?"

"For one thing - you know all those pretty falling stars every night? They mean that even if anyone was still watching for dangerous asteroids on a course to impact the planet, there's no way to send anything up there to divert it. And given that, just before the Singularity, some people managed to stick a shade up between us and the sun to control the climate, it's entirely possible that some idiot started an asteroid mining scheme, arranging to move one closer to Earth to be easier to mine, except now there's nothing left to stop it. And we might not know until clouds of dust wrap around the planet from the impact. It might even have happened already, and the effects won't get here for another few hours."

"You're bleeping with me."

"Not at all."

"No, I mean you're /bleeping/ with me. /Nobody/ can tackle a problem /that/ bleeping big. I mean-"

"That's not even the worst scenario. Just one of the more dramatic. And since there seems to be a distinct lack of other people able to cooperate on any scale larger than a city, and I'd really rather not get killed by any of them if they can be avoided - I'd be happy to hand over responsibility for dealing with them to anyone who's got a better shot than I do. And if nobody like that exists - well, it might take a decade or two, but I've got the option of trying to create the conditions that would allow such people to be created, through education and such."

"Why not just bleeping ask for the moon while you're at it?"

"Putting a self-sustaining colony there would certainly go a long way to solving a lot of the problems. Unfortunately - all those shooting stars are still in the way."

"Maybe you're not bleeping with me. Maybe you're /already/ bleeping insane."

"Maybe." I shrugged, and sipped my mint tea. "Of course, to even have a shot at dealing with all of that, I've got to deal with a few more immediate problems first."

"Us?"

"Me. After what you and the twins pulled, I should be on some sort of roaring rampage of revenge. But the strongest emotion I can muster is... mild annoyance."

"Well, that's good for us, innit?"

"Maybe. But blunted emotions are a bad sign for my mental health. The strongest thing I'm feeling right now is just... tired. I've been asleep for two solid days, and one of the things I most want to do is to crawl into bed - my /own/ bed, by myself... okay, or maybe with Bear Joe - and pull a pillow over my head."

"So why doncha? We covered for you for a couple days, we can do that for a couple more. Honestly, all three of us owe you a bleep-ton more of a vacation than that."

"I could say something about that being 'the easy way out' and thus unworthy... but more importantly - somebody dying of thirst will still avoid drinking from a glass of water if it's poisoned. If I just crawl into bed, or do something similarly useless, like trying to catch up on thirty-five years of pre-singularity games, books, and shows - I don't know if I'll be able to get back to facing reality in time to get anything done. So I came up here to think, and to... strategize, I guess."

"Figuring out what cities to have lick your hoof and which to leave alone?"

"Not... exactly. More to strategize myself."

"Bleep?"

"Hm. A metaphor for the mind. Imagine that Sarah and Jeff didn't really have control over their lower halves - that their big, four-legged bits wandered around, doing whatever they pleased, and they mostly came up with excuses for why they were doing whatever their lower bodies were doing. Sometimes, they manage to grab a stick and whack their lower bodies to get them to do what they /really/ want to do. That's a... reasonable model of the mind - the lower bodies being the unconscious side, the upper bodies being the conscious mind. My unconscious has generally been pretty good about letting my conscious mind lead it around - almost without effort. But now it's finally heading its own way, so now I need to come up with a metaphorical stick to whack it with."

"I /like/ letting my bleeping lower half doing my thinking for me."

"... Right. Well, I'm sure that can certainly be fun and satisfying in the short term, but it doesn't help much with long-term planning, or simple survival."

"Well, if that's what floats your bleeping boat. So - what, your lower half is thinking of bleeping offing yourself?"

"Not... exactly. And I've got a last-ditch option ready in case it ever does, to keep it from getting its way."

"Freeze yourself?"

"No, that's only got something like a one-in-twenty chance of working - I mean to keep from taking that step. A very long time ago, I made a promise to myself that if I couldn't think of a reason to keep on keeping on, I'd act /as if/ my purpose for living were to read comics. I've never had to put it to the test, but it's been part of my planning for so long, that I'm hoping my unconscious mind has already swallowed the idea and would be willing to play along. However, it's a last-ditch option for a reason - reading comics doesn't really get much done, and doing what has to be done to read them isn't really sufficient impetus to get much done beyond the basic necessities of survival. I'd basically be giving up on my whole to-do list for however long I was stuck in that level of depression."

"But reading these - comics was it? - is still better than being dead, right?"

"That's the idea. So if worst comes to worst, I'll make my way to the university, and hit the library there. But since if I do, I'll be doing nobody any good for months, or years - I'm trying to remember all the ways I've heard of, when people know what they want to do but can't quite bring themselves to do it. There's a term for that... apraxia? No - akrasia. I think that's it. Depression isn't quite the same as procrastinating or trying to diet - but if the tricks that work on the latter will let me deal with the former, at least to the point of being depressed but still getting things done... I'll take it."

Toffee started asking, "Uh - you're saying you're really sad-"

"/No/. If you use that as your mental model for what I'm referring to by the word 'depression', then you'll get all /sorts/ of oh-so-clever ideas like 'well, why doesn't she just cheer up, then?', ideas which /don't work/, and which would waste a lot of both our times trying to make work. The chemicals in my brain are supposed to be balanced in a certain way, which lets me think clearly. When there's too much of one chemical, or too little of another, I don't think clearly, in certain specific ways. One of those ways happens to have picked up the title 'depression'."

"Okay, okay, jeez, bleep. So... what sort of 'tricks' are we talking about?"

I pulled my small notepad out of my pocket. "I've jotted down the ones I've been able to remember so far. Top of the list - regular exercise. This fuzzy pink body I happen to live in might not need exercise to get strong, or stay strong - but I remember something about regular exercise likely helping improve mood disorders, at least a little bit. I'd rather waste an hour or two a day on pointless physical movement than twenty-four hours a day doing nothing - so I'm going to start working out a preliminary exercise schedule of, say, running and burpees."

"If you were anyone else, I'd say you were making that last word up."

"It's a sort of exercise that doesn't need equipment, and in non-bunnies, strengthens all the major muscle groups. There's a few versions, but for one, for each one, you count to eight. Start standing. One, drop to a crouch. Two, kick your legs behind you. Three, spread your legs. Four, lower your arms. Five, raise your arms. Six, straighten your legs. Seven, pull your legs back into a crouch. Eight, reach your arms up and jump as high as you can. Land standing. Repeat many, many times, with occasional breaks."

"Sounds bleeping ridiculous."

"Looks ridiculous, too. But I remember reading something that, pre-Singularity, prisoners didn't have much to do but exercise. A lot liked lifting weights - gave them nice-looking muscles. When some of them had their exercise equipment taken away, so they couldn't do much besides burpees... then those prisons started needing a lot more guards to handle any given unruly prisoner. It's probably apocryphal - but it /could/ be true, and since I like to pride myself on being perfectly willing to look ridiculous if that's what's necessary to /get stuff done/, it's a good mesh with my goals here."

"... Does it really make humans stronger?"

"... I might be able to stand some group exercise sessions, if it'll help you get started with a routine of your own. Ditto meditation - that's also on my list, for much the same reasons. A proper sleep schedule is on the list. And - well, as much as I enjoy the brownies Munchkin's kitchen produces, and despite the fact that my stomach is supposed to be able to handle anything, I'm going to have to start tracking my diet, and see if I can find any correlations between what I eat and my level of depression. From the data I've been able to get a hold of, which might be outdated by the science that was figured out just before the Singularity, there are arguments that sugar-rich foods cause fluctuations in blood sugar that aren't good for depression. There are also arguments that blood sugar is a vital resource for proper brain functioning, and a lot of brain chemistry issues stem from not having enough of it at the right times. So maybe I need to imitate a certain character called L and eat all the sugar I can - or maybe I need to give it up entirely and focus on leaves."

"I think you can leave me out of /that/ diet."

"Well, yes. Let's see." I flipped the page. "Oh, yes. Social disapproval from people you respect is a pretty effective motivator. Even imagined social disapproval would do. The trouble is, there are very few people whose opinions I respect on significant matters, such as cryonics as a valid strategy for survival or how to deal with extinction risks; and even fewer who I know well enough to imagine standing, looking over my shoulder and tut-tutting at me when I do something stupid." I flipped another page. "And there's taking pills. The techniques we used to create the anti-snake poison could, possibly, be used to create medicines, if I can identify which medicine would affect my brain chemistry in the right way." Another flip. "And there's always leveraging the placebo effect to do good instead of bilking customers of their money. I should probably check with Clara on which forms of placebo are within the range of our resources and have the greatest reported effect."

I flipped another page, and noticed Toffee's expression was a smile that was kind of unchanging and frozen. I flipped the notebook closed, and she let out a small breath, which I guessed was in relief. "And there's more like that," I summarized. "Procrastination is relatively easy to solve, once you know it /can/ be solved, and have access to a list of tricks that might work. At least in comparison to other problems. So when I head back down, I'm going to start straight away on scheduling all these," I waved the notepad in the air, "lifestyle changes. And when my head gets straightened out as much as it can be straightened - we'll just have to see if it's straight enough to get /anything/ useful accomplished outside of that, and if so, what; and then I get to start revising the to-do list based on my exhibited capabilities."

--

Munchkin had a perfectly respectable internal surveillance system, recording all words spoken within to a log for debugging purposes if nothing else - but my bunny ears made the whole thing moot. Toffee had left the roof hatch open when she clambered back down, and by tilting my ears /just/ right, I was able to catch her voice reflecting from inside - and that of the person she was talking to.

One of the foxes asked, "Is she slanted?"

Toffee answered, "She's slanted, for sure. After Red's words about her walk, she'd be slanted if she /weren't/ slanted. But she's the straightest slant I've seen."

"God-botherer?"

"Not so you'd notice," Toffee answered. "In no hurry to die, and she talks on freezing herself like she can thaw out."

"Can she?"

"Bleep if I know. You two squinted around as much as I have - we've seen funkier."

"Then what's her angle?"

"Haven't winkied out that yet."

"Maybe throwing us out with th'argent was a bluff?"

Toffee didn't answer for a few moments, before saying, "If it was - we can grab it later. On the tick - she's got plans to keep from going slantier."

"Drugs?"

"Some, I think. Food. Exercise. Sitting and thinking. We stick with her."

"If wanted that, would've stayed in guard."

"Rather be four-legs and rich, or four-legs and rich /and/ powerful? Says she's got a gun that..."

At that point, they shifted, and the echo I'd been catching disappeared into thin air.

Assuming that that hadn't just been a little performance put on for yours truly... it did explain a few things, like why the three of them had been sticking around and working on my chores, instead of just grabbing the money and running. I didn't begrudge them their greed - in a sense, it was my own greed, for an indefinitely extended lifespan, that was one of my own prime motivations. And more important - greed was simple enough that I could at least make an attempt to work with it and make plans based on its existence, with reasonably little risk of causing accidental insult or getting caught in some complicated political scheme I had no hope of ever understanding.

(As I continued my thinking, I clambered down from Munchkin's roof, muttered a few brief words in passing, changed my outfit from business formal to something more suited to outdoor exercise (eg, sports bra and pistol-crossbow holsters), and started running laps around the quarry.)

After all, if I were to let myself start using paranoia as an analysis strategy, examining the results of who benefitted from actions to derive their source... then I would note that the spirits of the Great Peace had a known reason to want the robo-factory destroyed, and shortly after the fox twins had been placed into a pool that had the potential to rearrange their memories, those fox twins just happened to destroy the factory. However, even if that analysis happened to be true, that /method/ of analysis didn't provide much in the way of useful predictions ahead of time. The most relevant paranoid analysis I could come up with was that some group or entity had an interest in keeping the Lake Erie cities fractured and independent, evidenced by the fact that none of them had tried putting together a heliograph network before, despite the idea being a couple of centuries old; and thus I could expect some sort of push-back if-and-when I continued placing new heliograph stations. The /reason/ that analysis wasn't helpful was that I was /already/ expecting push-back, in one form or another: plagues of beavers, or politicians demanding ludicrous payments, or mobs of anti-tech fanatics, or network disruption attempts by would-be hackers. And I had various ideas on how to deal with any of those scenarios that could actually be dealt with.

Not all of those ideas had made it to the to-do list. Some were just part of the design, such as the networking protocols I'd spent some time designing, or the provisions for electric fencing protecting any given heliograph station. And some, I was just keeping an outright secret, from the contents of one-time pads to... well, come to think of it, I was keeping a /lot/ of secrets by now, which made Toffee's description of me as being 'straight' kind of laughable. I had multiple origin stories, so I could fall back on one or another depending on how prejudiced an individual I was dealing with. I wasn't sure if Toffee and the foxes had figured out that Clara was an AI yet, but I'd been keeping Boomer and Alphie discreetly tucked away, so that even if they knew about Clara, various levels of plausible deniability were still possible. None of them seemed interested in how Munchkin was powered, and I was keeping the fact that, if I really, /really/ wanted, I could apply the fusion reactor to create an explosion at something approaching a kiloton of force so secret that I hadn't even told Boomer. (She might already know, but seemed smart enough not to spread that detail around. And, of course, she might not know /I/ knew; but that sort of recursive paranoia was even less productive than the regular kind.) And speaking of WMDs, I had tech that could, potentially, rewrite any given organism, and had already used it to create one species-destroying disease, under cover of spreading a more simple chemical toxin. And, well, the reason that was a plausible cover was that I actually could arrange for the creation of such toxins, if I put my mind and mini-factory toward that task. I had an omnicidal AI in a box. I had a different computer which might contain the manufacturing specs for Munchkin's reactor.

I was also pretty sure that, back in the day, there was no way I would ever pass a security clearing to get access to secrets of that level of magnitude. For one, I was barely over a month into trying to get used to the fact that over ninety-nine percent of humanity had died off, including everyone I'd ever known, personally or by reputation; for another, there was pretty much everything else I'd been faced with since waking up, which had led to my little coping-strategy brainstorming session. /I/ wouldn't trust me not to go off the deep end and start playing Berserker myself. I had the power to kill, not just anyone, but just about everyone I cared to, if I cared to; with scant exceptions. One exception were members of the Great Peace, who could be resurrected from any given 'spirit pool', and those things seemed to be spread across at least a few dozen thousand square kilometers, maybe even a few hundred thousand; and I still had next to no idea how they worked. Another exception was Technoville - I might have a lovely individual vehicle built with post-twenty-fifteen tech, but they had an /air force/. Among other techs, public and secret. The other exception... was any individual or group that had managed to avoid identification, so far. Whatever was maintaining the air defense screen around Toronto. Whatever had launched the Berserker from old Buffalo. Whatever was controlling the Lake Ontario squiddies from Kingston.

Whatever had manufactured my body in Detroit.

And then, besides the items whose truth was obvious, known, secret, or hiding... there were the items whose truth was a matter of argument and interpretation. Was I still employed by Technoville? Was I a member of a royal family? Was I a head-of-state (and a nuclear power, to boot)? Was I Canadian?

Was I human?

Was I evil?

Was being evil actually a bad thing, given the circumstances?

Technoville was some sort of info-based tyranny; but I'd willingly worked with them. (And then stolen from them. And then worked with them again.) The Great Peace had absorbed everyone who'd come into its territory, had expanded its territory, and the Berserker implied something particularly awful had happened to Hamilton - and I'd actively joined into at least part of the Quebecois part of their government. The Berserker was a mass-murderer on a scale few humans had ever matched - and I kept it in my closet in case of a rainy day.

It was possible to argue for years about what criteria to use to evaluate any given action, without even getting around to the actual evaluation. I didn't have the luxury of waiting years, or trying to find someone to debate with. I only had my own mind to work with - a mind which was currently in a somewhat rickety state. Writing everything I knew down might be the only way to ever get a chance to work out just how badly I'd screwed things up - but was also the fastest way to get my secrets spread around to all and sundry.

The only place I could /really/ keep a secret was in the gray matter inside Bun-Bun's skull. But my memory was a flawed thing - more flawed than most, in some respects. I was already struggling to remember the faces of the people I'd met while biking around the west edge of Lake Erie. Human minds simply hadn't gone through evolutionary pressure to remember long lists of random facts; and my own preference for a solitary lifestyle meant that my own brain's skills at remembering social relationships and suchlike were somewhat atrophied, compared to average.

But now that my thoughts were running along those lines, it did occur to me that I knew of at least one trick to use a brain's skills to make up for its gaps. Specifically, to fool the mind into using spatial memory to remember any given set of data: a memory palace. It wasn't hard to describe: Just imagine a physical location with as much detail as possible, and then place memorable cues to recall the facts within that landscape. Actually putting the idea into practice... took somewhat more effort.

Of course, since I was running, I didn't have much to do /except/ think as hard as I could. And so, as I ran and ran, I started building my first memory palace, based on a location I remembered well but no longer existed anywhere in reality: my hometown library. And in that library, I started arranging my secrets - and my memories, so that, one day, when I didn't need to keep these secrets secret any longer, I might be able to remember them, with as little distortion as possible.

Plus, a distraction like that helped keep the burn of my newly-exercised muscles to a dull ache instead of an unbearable fire.

Last edited:
Dude, you're too paranoid for your own good. Seriously, Bunny buys that Rich and Powerful bullshit. That's what they tell to themselves to justify their concience/strong values to their greed. These guys could have seriously fucked her over while she was out for the count. What more evidence does she need that they don't want to hurt her.
This is especially true for the Peace People.

Honestly, I don't know what more Bunny wants. They have demonstrated a good will towards her, what more does she want? Read their brains and find that they have utterly no ulterior motives? Won't ever happen. People always have ulterior motives.
Maybe she should really just fab herself an extra room for her mobile home where she hides half a day and then gets out to deal with the fools.

Dude, you're too paranoid for your own good. Seriously, Bunny buys that Rich and Powerful bullshit. That's what they tell to themselves to justify their concience/strong values to their greed. These guys could have seriously fucked her over while she was out for the count. What more evidence does she need that they don't want to hurt her.
This is especially true for the Peace People.

Honestly, I don't know what more Bunny wants. They have demonstrated a good will towards her, what more does she want? Read their brains and find that they have utterly no ulterior motives? Won't ever happen. People always have ulterior motives.

There's a certain difference in the levels of trust between "can be trusted not to stab me in the back while I'm asleep" and "can be trusted to handle my WMDs". It's currently an open question where "can be trusted not to make an avoidable stupid mistake while researching the Singularity" fits into that spectrum, and whether Bunny thinks any of the gang have gotten that far.

Maybe she should really just fab herself an extra room for her mobile home where she hides half a day and then gets out to deal with the fools.

She's already got that room, if she wants to use it that way, in the form of the distraction bed in the Chamber of Secrets.

So what's the big problem? Make a vacation until the stress levels are manageable. Go back to Joe so she has someone she remotely trusts. This would also help to get to know her minions better.
Right now the biggest problem in her plan seem to be her utterly crippling social inabilities. She needs to work around them by getting at least some halfway competent people that she has a small bond of trust with.

You can trust everybody with WMDs who isn't a total megalomaniac or dumb as hell. But most people who fit that description don't want them.

which made Toffee's description of

Plus, a distraction liked that helped keep the burn of my

You can trust everybody with WMDs who isn't a total megalomaniac or dumb as hell. But most people who fit that description don't want them.
I suspect Bunny is operating under the "power corrupts" paradigm. Also, knowing someone's state now doesn't guarantee knowing their future state.

Last edited:
*Book Five: Co-*

*Chapter One: Co-location*

"Congratulations - you're pregnant."

Sarah looked at me. I looked at her.

"You sure?"

"Well... sixty percent sure," I hedged. "The autodoc doesn't have much data on six-limbed mammals with blue fur - but your hormones have definitely started changing, in ways that seem to correspond with a number of species."

"What - what is it?"

I shook my head. "It's too early to say. It could be any gender, or even any species - there's no way to find out without invasive procedures that would be highly risky to the blastocyst's viability. Speaking of which - if this isn't a pregnancy you want, there are several options available."

She wasn't looking at me. "Jeff and me, never got pregnant before. Thought we /couldn't/. Guess when we got fixed, we got /un/-fixed, too."

"That's possible," I said, neutrally. "Um - I'm not qualified as a doctor, and I don't want to pry about the details of your personal life, but... should we run the test on Jeff, too?"

"Yes. Yes, you should. Gonna be a big surprise for her if she is. Don't know if you know, but she was a man afore we got Changed together."

"Fair enough. Do you want me to ask, or tell her anything, or...?"

"No, no, I get her in." She rose to all fours and climbed out of Munchkin's side door. I followed her that far, sitting down on the step to look outside while I waited.

We were back on the road to Erie, again; this time, hopefully without any detours. We'd stayed in the quarry another day while I worked out a new set of daily routines for exercise, meditation, diet, and measuring the effects of the same, with a little discreet help from Boomer and Alphie. We'd stayed there a second day after I'd gone through some of my notes, and rediscovered that one of the programs I'd downloaded into the bun-bots was 'personal trainer'; whereupon I used Internet to create a few pieces of equipment for honest-to-goodness martial arts training.

Which, at the moment, mostly consisted of falling down onto mats, and listening to the bun-bots explain, in voices that creepily matched my own tones, exactly what we were doing wrong.

The bun-bots' programs threw up some glitches when faced with Jeff and Sarah, whose centauroid shapes fell well outside what they'd been programmed to be able to teach. However, a few flashes of the Barph through the heliograph, and Clara was able to put some of her computing hardware to simulating the appropriate bio-kinematics, and come up with sets of movements for the bun-bots to teach the pair of them. (Not to mention a few tweaks to improve the instruction routine for the less-than-human parts of my own anatomy, and Joe Three's.)

Since the gang had slipped me a Mickey Finn to keep me under for two days, and we'd taken the long way around the ruins of Buffalo, that made it nearly a week since the foxes had gotten their biology fixed up by the local post-human para-intelligent pools of nano-tech - which, it seemed, was how long it took for their tweaked biology to start showing the first biochemical signs of successful fertilization.

The railbed we were using as a road came close to the shore of Lake Erie at what had once been Dunkirk, so I'd brought us to a halt for the evening. I needed to forage a bit for greens, so the scanners could compare how I digested that compared to the brownies that were still the only thing I'd figured out how to get Munchkin's kitchen to produce; and I'd gone looking for some clover, which I'd discovered a certain taste for since ending up in my current state. As Sarah took Jeff by the hands for a talk I tried very hard to angle my ears not to listen in on, Red Deer and Toffee, about the closest we had to pure humans in our little group (though the former was a creation of the aforementioned nano-tech pools, and the latter had a digestive system that had been partially converted into another species'), were busy bringing a campfire to life. While looking for clover, my pocket AI pointed out some plants called 'water avens', and after using my tricorder to make sure they were close enough to the original species to be non-toxic, I'd followed Boomer's directions to dig up the rootstocks. With luck, we could boil them into a beverage that Boomer said was described as "chocolate-like", though I wasn't holding out much hope for the taste. Especially since the only honey I'd found was so full of aconitine toxin that any one of us would drop dead if we'd tried using it to sweeten the drink. (Naturally, I took a sample of the stuff - well, I should say that my transforming wristwatch, whose robotic scorpion form was immune to bee stings, did - to add to the lab's stockpile of "things that are interesting and might conceivably be useful one day".)

All in all, it had been a pretty quiet and unremarkable day.

--

In the morning, after the exercise and meditation and breakfast and scans and such, I gathered everyone together around the campfire for a pow-wow. "Time to plan for the day, as best as possible," I declared. "I know my goals - I suppose you know them too," I waved in the direction of Munchkin, and the virtual whiteboards within. "I want to end the day alive. Second to that, I want as many useful resources as possible - all of you included, in at least a sense. Toffee, Jeff, Sarah - if you want to hop off this crazy carpet ride and go home, this is your chance, and I'm not going to stop you."

Toffee asked, "Are you trying to get rid of us?"

I shrugged. "I don't actually know," I admitted. "I still could use some assistant explorers - but you did go along with knocking me out for a few days."

Sarah and Jeff had their hind-torsos on the ground next to each other, and were leaning their fore-torsos against each other, holding hands. "Don't blame us," said the one I thought was Sarah. "Thought Red Deer knew what she was doing."

Red Deer crossed her arms and glared at them. "I /did/. She needed-"

"Ahem!" I raised a hand to interrupt. When I had their attention, I declared, "I want to be in town well before noon, so let's get business out of the way first, and work on who blames who for what after. Point of order: fallback positions, in case something goes wrong. Any of you who know Morse code, I can give a Barph to, so you can signal the heliograph network where you are. If you don't know Morse, and still want a Barph, I can give you a card to study and work from. If you don't want a Barph, or end up losing one, and still want to stay part of the group - here's a map of this shore of Lake Erie, with a few possible places marked. Pass it around - if any of you know anything about the area that might be useful in an emergency, or meet-up sites, or the like."

Toffee frowned at the paper I handed to her. "I know a lot of folk don't like Changed... okay, a lot bleeping hate 'em... but you're that sure you're going to get run out of town?"

I tried flashing her a grin. I'm not sure how successful I was. "I don't expect to need this part of the plan. And I hope we don't. I just know if we /do/ need it, we're going to be /really/ glad we spent the time on it."

She shrugged, grabbed the pencil I'd clipped to the map, and started scribbling. "Makes sense. Seems a lot of work if you don't think you'll need it, to me."

"I have honestly lost count of the number of times I came uncomfortably close to dying, in just the last few weeks. I'm willing to credit backup plans for staying alive long enough to keep /you/ alive."

"You don't have to bleeping rub it in, I'm writing notes, see?"

We spent some time going over various 'if things go wrong' plans, from meeting up five klicks outside Erie all the way to freezing the dead.

"And if /that/ doesn't do any good," I said, "I can't think of anything that will." That was a slight fib - like I'd said, I didn't /entirely/ trust them, and was keeping a few backup plans hidden inside my memory palaces. One was to try to signal the squiddies for a water rescue. Another was to detonate Munchkin's fusion generator.

"Now, moving on to more productive plans - I'd really like to end up at the end of the day in a situation /better/ than what I'm in now, instead of worse. There are three people who are likely in Erie that I'd like to find. I'd like to fill the pantry with a few supplies that we might be able to trade some of those metal cards, or my trade goods, for. I'd like to set up a heliograph station at or near the city - some sites are better for my purposes than others. I'd like to look into hiring some people to run the local heliograph station - and maybe one or more others. And if there's any direct source of information on my main research area - the Singularity, the events of November in twenty-fifty - then I want to collect that, too."

Toffee's forehead wrinkled in thought. "Some of that should be easy," she said. "But putting up a building, hiring folk for a new job? Lots of ways to step on lots of toes."

"Well, it's a good think I have somewhere between one and three local experts to help out, isn't it?"

Probably Jeff said, "Don't look to us," she squeezed probably Sarah's hand. "Hate politics. Never touch it."

"One expert, then," I shrugged. "Better than none. So - what's the biggest problem with me finding a half-dozen literate folk, with reasonably good eyesight and manual dexterity, to relay heliograph messages?"

"First thing comes to mind," Toffee said, "Which union'd they be in?"

I blinked a few times. "That's... important?"

She stared back at me for a very long few seconds, then shook her head. "Right. Bleeping stranger. You savvy /anything/ about unions?"

"Welp," I considered how to answer, "I looked into joining the Industrial Workers of the World for a while, but they had an explicit goal of 'abolishing the wage system', and I was never able to get a clear answer about what they were planning on replacing it with." Toffee stared at me with an expression I interpreted as a dry 'really?'. So I sighed, and went with a simple, "Union. Noun. Group of people with jobs that are vaguely similar, who get better deals by negotiating as a group. Usually, complications ensue."

"Good," Toffee nodded firmly. "In Erie, any of the big unions can kill the whole city. Ten years ago-"

"Nine," interrupted Sarah.

Toffee looked like she was trying not to look annoyed. "I'm getting to that. Laying some bleeping background first."

"Fine, fine," Sarah rolled her eyes. "Morning only lasts till noon."

"As I was saying," Toffee turned back to me. "/Ten/ bleeping years ago - a big fight started 'tween two unions, the dockers and the farmers. A small union got shafted in a big docker deal, tried to switch to farmers, both sides started striking, whole city got bleeping shut down. Business as usual, just a pain. Idea was supposed to be, everyone else in the city gets mad enough to put some pain on the strikers, give them incentive to negotiate for a bad deal that's better than none, see?"

"Vaguely," I admitted. "But go on."

"Right. Shutdown went on for months. Mostly winter, so most folk didn't mind staying inside anyway. Then spring, and still no deal. Looked like might be some trouble with planting in time. So one fellow, LeBlanc-"

Sarah interrupted again, "Brett to his friends."

Toffee ignored her and continued, "-and his bleeping friends started breaking legs. Then breaking heads. Said the planting was too important, the unions were going to let everyone starve - so he /made/ a deal. And broke things until it stuck."

Jeff said, "Now he's the big boss."

Toffee nodded. "Now he's the big boss," she agreed. "Keeps the unions in line, and everyone else who gets out of line."

I finally asked, "If he's that bad - why doesn't everyone gang up to toss him out?"

Toffee frowned. "He's not /bad/, just - goes for what he wants. And he gives out perks to the folk who work with him. Well, sometimes. Sometimes he tosses allies out on their ears."

Sarah said, "Makes all the little bosses nervous. Fun to watch. Not so much fun when your boss gets tossed."

"By any chance," I asked, "did one of these 'little bosses' get 'tossed' just a little while ago?" I looked from Sarah to Jeff to Toffee.

Toffee grinned back at me. "Good guess, but nah. All eight of us were free agents, independent contractors. Everyone needs a good lawyer to check their contracts, so I'm not part of any bleeping union. I get to stay nimble, take advantage of opportunities, from the unions shuffling around again-"

Jeff spoke up, "To paying for a trip to grab a whole city's cash. Sarah and I in the wagoneer's union, even before we changed."

Sarah added, "They saw the use in members with four legs, so we even kept our jobs. We use up two seats, but when a mule goes lame, nice to have a spare puller."

Toffee managed to speak a few moments before I did, "Back to the bleeping point. You want to hire people, they'll want to be in a union. The bigger union they can sign up with, the more they'll like it."

I thought aloud, "Could I start up a new guild - I mean, union - of my own?"

Toffee stared at me. "Kind of defeats the whole point, if owners run the unions."

I shrugged. "Fine - so what about letting the 'graphers start up their own union?"

"That size, not much of a union."

"I'm not much of an owner, that they need to gang up against."

Toffee looked off, thinking. "It's not a /completely/ terrible idea," she finally said. "Keeps you out of lots of the bloody politics, and I get the idea you're not planning on staying in Erie the rest of your life."

"That's certainly true. In a few senses, come to think of it."

"Trouble is," she added, "If you bleep off anyone, you and your employees won't have any allies to help you."

"Hm... what are you imagining that 'allies' would be able to help me with?"

"Your employees are going to need to bleeping eat, right?"

"If food's an issue, I can arrange for the squiddies to deliver fish."

Toffee started smiling. "And you've got your bleeping Munchkin thing to make your own deliveries and make your own parts. So maybe you /don't/ need much of the city." Her smile vanished. "But whoever you hire, still has to live there, and if you bleep off anyone, they could do what the big boss likes doing, and gang up on 'em."

It was my turn to frown. "And what sort of court system is there, to charge people with assault and battery?"

Toffee looked at me incredulously. "You're thinking of taking union leg-breakers... to /court/?"

"You're a lawyer, aren't you?"

"Lady, I'm /still/ a bleeping lawyer because I know better than to get between the powerful bleepity bleeps and what they want."

"I take it, then, that Erie's court system isn't a viable method of seeking redress against the powerful?"

"Who do you think bleeping pays the bleeping judges?"

I sighed. "And here I was hoping civil society was still in place."

"Oh," Toffee shrugged, "Everything's done all nice and bleeping /civil/. 'Till it's not."

"In that case, it looks like I might have to revert a few centuries in behaviour myself - at least as long as Erie's still run that way. If I can't come to some sort of civilized arrangement with the locals - then the only way I can think of to protect my own people, when I get them, is with a credible threat of retaliation."

"Big boss won't like that."

"Then I might as well skip the middlemen and start negotiating at the top."

--

"I was kind of expecting some guards by now. Somebody to shout 'halt!' at us."

Sarah commented, "Guards on roads people use, not old rails."

"Isn't there some system to watch for kaiju?"

"Kie-what?"

"Monsters the size of houses, or bigger."

"Never heard of any."

"Saw one myself, off to the west of the lake."

"None here."

"I don't want to take Munchkin too deep into the city to get back out in a hurry... what's it going to take to get someone's attention, fly around again?"

"Could work."

"Hm. Toffee, you say you've learned to fly - want to get a quick aerial view of your hometown?"

"Why don't you go?"

"I want to stick around in case the welcome wagon is early. Hm... actually, come to think of it, I just might be able to do both."

--

Being towed through the air by Munchkin like a kite wasn't /quite/ as much fun as outright flying - but I also didn't have to listen to the constant noise of the engine right behind me. While I was in the air, I made a mental note to see if the clothes fabricator could repair or replace the paraglider that had gotten ripped during the rescue; if wear and tear on the chute wasn't going to be an issue, then there was very little reason /not/ to be towing an aerial scout around, now that we were out of Toronto's air-defense range.

When I saw a half-dozen horses and riders galloping in our direction, I used the Barph to flash a message down, telling the bun-bot keeping an eye on me to reel me in.

--

As I settled into a seat at Munchkin's front, one of the riders had stopped his horse on the railbed in front of us. A few flicks of my fingers on Munchkin's wall, and its rapid march slowed, then came to a halt, a polite few dozen feet away from him. This close, I could see that he was human (or a reasonable facsimile thereof), wearing a bright red coat, and biting his lip as he stared at Munchkin's near-featureless prow.

He took a breath, and let it out in a shout. "You will halt your vehicle!" He declared. "You will exit in an orderly fashion with your hands up, or we will be forced to fire!"

Despite how well Munchkin's exterior plates had fared in the snake-oid village, I didn't want to test them against more advanced firearms, especially now that I didn't have a handy source of new-built replacement containers. I also wasn't going to let Erie's government anywhere near Munchkin's fusion reactor. So as I watched the other five red-coated horsemen line up abreast across the track, I decided to go with Plan G-2: Authoritarian bafflegab, seeking escalation to higher authorities.

I keyed open Munchkin's mike. "Now, son," I said, feeling my voice suddenly taking on the cadence of Foghorn Leghorn, "you don't want to do that, any more than we want you to do that. Our flag hasn't fallen off, has it? No, there it is, the red and white flying high and true. Aren't you aware that this is an ambassadorial vehicle, and thus protected by the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations? Opening fire on us is a casus belli, and believe you me, if a war started between your tiny little city-state and the nation I represent, the only question is how many of your civilians would still be alive by the time your government ceased to exist. Naturally, that would do none of us any good, which is why I'm suggesting that a front-line fellow like yourself would do best by realizing that you're in the middle of matters far above your pay-grade, and your best course of action would be to call for your superior, who, in turn, should call for theirs, and so on, until you finally get to someone in a position to negotiate policy."

I keyed the mike closed, ignoring the stares of everyone else inside Munchkin, and watched for a reaction. The fellow in front turned around to look at the other five, one of whom gave him a shooing wave forward. He turned back around to face us. "I have my orders!" he declared at top volume.

I sighed, and opened the mike again, as I got back up and started walking back through Munchkin. "I was really hoping not to have to mention this explicitly, in the name of friendly relations, but your superiors seem to have failed to inform you of a particular highly relevant fact-on-the-ground when they gave you those orders. I will now attempt to demonstrate this particular fact, in as polite a fashion as I can think of. Do you have any particular emotional or financial interest in, say, that tree standing closer to the railway bed than the others, a hundred feet or so behind your friends?"

"What?"

"Boy, I plan on making a tiny little demonstration for you, but I don't want to cause any special fuss when I do. After all, when a magician steals your watch for a magic trick, they give it back afterward, because watches tend to have sentimental value, not to mention monetary, but they're quite willing to pick up bits of random street trash and do all sorts of things to them."

"What the bleep are you talking about?"

"Just this: Keep an eye on the birdy, son." Having finished my preparations, I flipped open the roof hatch, pushed myself and Kahled-voolch up out of it, quickly lined up, and squeezed the trigger.

Even before the explosion debris had finished rising, I was already dropping back inside Munchkin, pulling the hatch back shut. All six horses were rearing, their riders suddenly having to focus on keeping them from getting completely out of control.

I resumed speaking. "Now, while there may be a certain amount of personal fallout you might suffer for not slavishly following your superior's every whim, I put it to you that that fallout, if any, would be a more than acceptable price to pay compared to the alternatives I have no doubt that are now foremost in your mind. So instead of forcing any of those consequences to turn into reality, wouldn't it be better all around to get the right people to get together to discuss things, in a properly civilized fashion?"

One of the riders - I thought it was the one who'd waved, shouted out, "If you /meant/ that, you'd have shot /us/!"

I heaved a dramatic sigh. "Now why would I do a silly thing like that? I'm here to talk trade and alliances and other such mutually beneficial exchanges, and blowing up soldiers who might be fighting to help me out later is hardly the mark of an intelligent negotiator." I paused, then shrugged and added, "Of course, if you really insist, I still /can/ pick a more ambulatory target. It would be impolite to refuse such a determined request, after all."

The steeds were now mostly standing still, and various looks were exchanged between their riders. Finally, one of the riders went galloping back the way they came, and the second spokesmen declared, "You will keep your vehicle parked here! You will remain inside!"

"There, now was that so hard? Now, what shall we do while we wait? I suspect your superiors might take it amiss if I invite you aboard for tea without clearing matters through them first, so perhaps some sort of game? An exchange of riddles, perhaps?"

"You're standing there, in that... /thing/, and you want to tell /jokes/?"

"Not jokes, son, /riddles/, that stretch the mind and inspire the imagination. After all, there's not much else we can do to pass the time, what with me inside here and you outside there, now is there? I can start us off, if I'm springing the idea on you too quickly for you to think of one yourself. 'To keep me, you have to give me. What am I?'"

As the man spluttered a bit, then paused, and started whispering with the other members of his squad, I thought a bit, then called up Munchkin's security system controls. I turned on the anti-riot precautions, the main portion of which was an electrified surface, in case somebody tried getting cute while I was distracted. I also tightened up Munchkin's general security level, so that only I had permission to drive it around. While I was trusting Toffee, Sarah, and Jeff to not konk me over the head, it seemed prudent not to provide them with /too/ much temptation, now that I was bringing them back to familiar people who might have some hold over them.

The rider turned back to us. "A promise!"

"I was thinking 'your word', but that seems close enough. Do you have one of your own?"

"Uh..."

Another rider touched his shoulder, and at a nod, called out, "What's black when you get it, red when you use it, and white when you're done with it?"

*Chapter Two: Co-pay*

We'd passed maybe ten minutes in reasonably pleasant conversation, and had just traded 'What has eyes but cannot see?' back and forth for twelve different answers, when the group of guards paused. I started fiddling with Munchkin's exterior microphone settings, but before I did much, I could make out the rapid beat of galloping hooves, and soon made out the form of the returning rider.

"New orders," he panted. "Big boss. Wants to. Talk to. Her. Himself. Downtown."

In short order, the riders arranged themselves into an 'escort', leading the way to the heart of the revived portion of the city. After a short kerfluffle surrounding the escorts' realizations that Munchkin actually could march along off the old railbed pretty much as easily as on it, we eventually arrived at what Munchkin's pre-Singularity maps claimed was both the 'Erie Art Museum' and the 'Old Customshouse'. However, the modest-sized Greek-style facade (Doric, if I remembered my columns correctly) now bore the name 'City Hall', instead. (I made a mental note to try to find out if anyone had any idea why this part of the city hadn't been leveled and turned into cooling towers, like all the other pre-Singularity urban areas I'd seen so far.)

Once Munchkin had settled into a halt again, the rider who seemed to be the group's sacrificial scapegoat stood in his stirrups, took another breath, and started shouting, "You will-!"

I quickly but calmly interrupted, "I won't."

He blinked, his thought processes obviously derailed, then rallied and started again, "You will-!"

"I won't." Before he could take another breath to try yet again, I continued, "As much as I would like to enjoy your governmental hospitality, I am afraid that my experiences with other groups have involved me being drugged while under their supposed protection. Thus, I have a certain natural aversion to having my movements directed by local authorities, however trustworthy and honorable those authorities actually happen to be. However, I would be entirely happy to have my meeting with whoever you have so graciously passed the buck to in a reasonably neutral territory, such as in the form of a picnic on the sidewalk you are standing in, or whatever other location your principal suggests which meets my own security needs."

When I closed the mike and watched the renewed discussion, Toffee whispered, "You're not talking about us putting you out, are you?"

"Sadly, you are not the first individuals who've slipped me a Mickey. You are, however, the ones who seem to have had the friendliest intentions when doing so."

It looked like we were going to have to wait for a while, so I wandered back through Munchkin's carriages, nudging a few items in the lab in passing, tucking Boomer into my jacket pocket, and then rummaging through some of the inventory in my private carriage. When Munchkin's intercom relayed outside voices, Nurse-Bun rolled me forward in a wheelchair, with one of my canes hooked onto the back.

Most everyone gave me funny looks as I was rolled back to the front, so I shrugged and just said, "Hoof's bothering me today." It wasn't, really, at least not any more than usual; but the talk about being drugged had started my mind down certain paths, and if my hoped-for confab did go south and I needed to get away in a hurry, I had a certain suspicion that I'd be more likely to do so if the locals underestimated my physical prowess rather than overestimated it.

I sent a couple of bun-bots with their bodyguard programs as their chief priority out first, then when they signaled things were clear, had Gofer-Bun carry out a folding table and chair, and a basket with a tablecloth, mint tea, iced tea in a thermos, coffee, brownies, and the closest approximation to fine china that Internet had been able to put together. Nurse-Bun maneuvered my chair down to street level, Secretary-Bun followed along, and then Toffee, Jeff, and Sarah followed along. It looked like Joe, Bear Joe, and Red Deer were choosing to stay inside at the moment, along with Alphie and the spare bun-bots, which seemed reasonable.

I laced my fingers together and smiled up at the nearest rider. "Please pardon me," I said, "but I was a bit distracted putting the tea together. Who was it you said I'm meeting?"

They seemed a bit nonplussed, and from their flaring nostrils, I realized that they were being suddenly introduced to the scents that I had gradually ceased noticing within Munchkin - primarily, the animalistic body odours. But they rallied quickly, and one announced, "Assistant Secretary of the Big Boss."

"Ooh," Toffee said, "that was bleeping fast. I was sure we'd only get as high as the Second Undersecretary's Assistant Secretary at first. And here comes the fat bastard now."

The man walking down the broad steps was certainly wide - but a smidgen less so than Toffee herself, and his dark suit made him look even less so. Once he made it to street level, I was able to confirm that, like Toffee, he was roughly as tall standing as I was sitting.

I glanced sidelong at Toffee. "Relative?"

The newcomer answered, "No," at the same time Toffee said, "Cousin."

They glared at each other for a few moments, he looking rather grumpier than her, before looking at the various people milling about, and finally turning to me. "I am Assistant Secretary Winston Edwards. Who are you?"

"I am informally known as Bunny. That's short for Bunny Waldeinsamkeit. May I offer you a chair, a brownie, or a drink?"

"No thank you. What are you doing here?"

"Mainly... shopping. Pick up a few provisions, some supplies for my research projects, look into local metal prices, meet some acquaintances, try to hire a few extra people, try to buy or build a building to house local operations - and so on. I came across one of your residents," I waved slightly in the direction of Toffee, "who informed me that your 'Big Boss' might want to have some say about such things, so I arranged to be brought to meet him. Would he happen to be available?"

"I am afraid that he is currently in conference and cannot be disturbed yet."

Toffee leaned over and mock-whispered to me, "That means he's still in bed bleeping his three girlfriends." She turned to Edwards. "Or is it four now?"

"Five, actually," said the secretary. "A condemned thief took the option."

Toffee straightened, and frowned. Without any joking around, she told me, "There's a building in the old city. Just about everyone who walks in, walks out a blonde bimbo. LeBlanc likes blondes, so started using it as a punishment."

Sarah added, "Only seems to work if you're human when you walk in."

Jeff said, "Wha? You're not saying you /went/-"

Sarah started talking over him, but before they raised their voices too far, I cleared my throat. "Having a conversation here," I pointed out. "Shush, or back inside, or go away." They glared at each other, but picked 'shush'.

Edwards seemed to ignore the byplay. "What will you do if you are denied permission to do any of those things?"

"Be somewhat annoyed at the extra time and resources that will be required to bypass this place, and look into how much time and resources would be required to go through whatever you have in the way of an appeals process."

"You will not use your flying machine and weapon to force us to comply?"

"That would defeat a lot of the purpose of my being here - generating good PR among the public, and so on. I prefer to hold such actions in reserve for the defense of me and mine. Are there any local customs I should be aware of, laws unfamiliar to outsiders that might cause unexpected trouble?"

"What do you plan on using to pay with?"

"I have a variety of trade goods - telescopes, batteries, and whatnot - but have it on reasonably reliable authority that your merchants are willing to accept precious metals." I twisted my head to look up at Gofer-Bun. "Please go to shelf L. twenty-six, and bring back the sample set." She bounded off and into Munchkin, and while she did, I poured myself some of the mint tea. "Are you sure I can't interest you in a cup?"

"Perhaps another time."

Gofer-Bun returned, and handed me the 'sample set' - one of each of the credit-card-sized pieces of metal that were the final product of the robo-factory, in see-through plastic pouches, arranged like a book. There were a couple of dozen of them, so the whole thing weighed a couple of pounds; I held it out, and Edwards took it, flipping through them.

"These have your picture on them."

"I didn't have much choice in the matter."

"They are of unequal weights."

"But equal dimensions and volume. Again, not my choice."

"How much do you intend on spending?"

"As little as possible. I have no intention of flooding the market and having the price drop out from under me."

"Hm." He handed the sample set back to me. "I should be able to arrange an appointment at noon."

"And until then?"

"I suggest you stay here."

Toffee took a step forward. "Does that include me?"

"I would suggest you stay here, too, just to keep you out of trouble, but since I know that if I did, you'd go away just to spit me, I won't."

"You're just saying that to get me to stay, aren't you?"

"Toffee," I interrupted the reunion, "If I'm staying here, perhaps you could bring some of the market to us?" I looked over at Edwards. "That is, if that's alright with you."

"If that is my cue to quip some snazzy one-liner, I'm afraid that I'll have to decline. Please excuse me, I have some business to attend to."

--

"Sarah, can you show me where this 'bimbo' creating place is?" I'd sent Gofer-Bun for a hardcopy map of the area - no need to show off the computing tech I had access to to the locals, if there wasn't a need to. She pointed out a place with the tip of one finger's claw, and I penciled in a notation.

"Not going there, are you?"

"I doubt it - there are undoubtedly safer places to look into such processes, if I need to. I'm mainly asking so I know where to avoid." I slipped the pencil back into a pocket. "I'm terrible with social cues, so I'm probably going to ask this badly - are you and Jeff going to need some time apart?"

"What, because we yelled? Nah, nah, she thinks I need protecting, 's all. Yelled before, will again."

"Fair enough. Your business. I'd appreciate it if you let me know when you make any decisions about whether you're going to stay in the city, or with me."

"Course."

--

"Thank you, but we've already made preliminary arrangements for both a coffee substitute and a tea substitute. If you can provide something with actual caffeine, then we can do business."

I made a mental note - once I got a retroviral lab up and running, a good first project to test things out would be to arrange for caffeine biosynthesis. Whatever plant, critter, or microbe I arranged to produce the stuff, I could make a fortune from.

"Next?"

Toffee said, "Fish."

"Fish?"

"Fish."

"I suppose that'll make Bear Joe happy."

"What, you don't like fish?"

"Eh, I can stand some properly-done English-style battered fish and chips, but mostly, it's about as bad as cauliflower."

"What's collie-flower?"

"... Right, I forgot that was extinct. I'll put it another way - even with regular fish, I'd probably leave it to Bear Joe and the rest of you. With salted and smoked and other preserved fish - I'm probably having a lot of salad."

"Is it because you're a rabbit?"

"Oddly enough, no."

--

"Well, /hello/, Minnie!" I smiled at the girl. "It's good to see you again - is it just me, or are you taller than ever?"

"It's you," she said, cheerfully plopping onto my lap and wrapping her arms around me. I didn't make any effort to stop her. "Did you hurt your leg?"

"Some days are better than others," I temporized. "Now what have you been up to since you got here?"

"I've been going to a new school where they didn't believe I was saved by an Indian and a talking rabbit until Gramma made them stop teasing me by threatening to blow up the school-"

I raised an eyebrow at Dotty, who was watching over us with a maternal eye, and now looked somewhat embarrassed. "I didn't /threaten/ them."

I asked, "You just made a promise to blow them up?"

"No! You cheeky little thing. I /may/ have pointed out that both of us were likely suffering from P.T.S.D., and that I know as much about chemistry as their so-called best teachers."

"Well, as long as it worked out for the best. Since Toffee was able to find you so quickly - is there anything I can help you out with?"

"No."

"... I'm going to rephrase that a little, and then let you yell at me if you want. Is there anything I can do to make Minnie's life better? School supplies, private tutoring, bring both of you along when I head to Cleveland...?"

"... Maybe," Dotty admitted.

"You could stay," Minnie said, her face buried in my neck-fur.

"Sorry, kiddo," I tried petting her head. "Still got lots of work to do, and I can't do all of it here. You see those two big blue people, over there? They got too close to Buffalo, and got sick, but I found them just in time, and helped them get better. Why don't you go ask if they'll let you ride on them?"

"Okay!" My lap was abruptly empty, and in a few seconds, I heard her greet them with childlike innocence, "You smell funny."

Both Dotty and I heaved a sigh at that, and then smiled a little at each other. I said, "She looks - like she's coping."

"Some days are better than others," she echoed back. "Seeing you again, this is definitely a good day."

She spent a few minutes telling me about their nearly completely normal life - she was temping at different unions, doing office work, while she looked for a more permanent position; Minnie was starting to make friends, and exploring the new city, and so on.

"How about Joe?" I inquired. "Is he helping out?"

"Nooo," she looked at me curiously. "He left as soon as I was employed."

"Odd - I haven't come across him, yet."

"He was saying he was going to go north across the lake, instead of back to Buffalo."

"I've been in touch with his people, pretty consistently. Either they've been lying to me, or he never arrived. ... There was a waterspout a few days ago-"

She shook her head. "We saw that. He left long before that."

"Have any of the squiddies shown up yet? I hate to think of it, but maybe they could look under the lake for the metal canoe..."

"The fishermen have started talking about new monsters with tentacles, but I haven't had time to try talking to any of them."

"Hm... I suppose if he wanted to go somewhere else, that's his business. But just in case - I owe him at least a decent search for him. There's different sorts of monsters on this side of the lake, some of whom take a while with their prey." I was abruptly conscious of my self-directed tail, hidden under my skirt and currently pressed against the back of the wheelchair. "Where did you see him last?"

"At the rooms we were renting. I came back, he was watching Minnie in the yard, talking to a couple of men. I told him I was employed, and he said he had to go, and they helped him carry his canoe."

"That's a little odd. That thing's almost light enough to carry with one hand."

"If you want to look for odd things, you'll always find them. Just before he handed Minnie to me, he said he felt as enthusiastic as the president of the Republic of Canada, just a month into his term. I know history isn't a popular topic, but even I know Canada always had a king or queen. ... Are you alright, dear? You've gone all white under your pink."

Once I got over mentally berating Joe for the idiocy of trying to pass a secret message to me through Dotty without her knowing, I tried to calmly fold my hands on my lap, and call out, "Toffee, could you come over here for a moment?"

"Mm-hm?"

"Dotty - I would like to have a chat with those two men you just described. Could you work together to figure out who they are, who they worked for, and any other information that would be required to have a conversation with them?"

"Do what I can," she agreed.

--

Noon arrived. Several figures came out of city hall, descending the broad steps that were the centre of several conversations, and at least one foxtaur galloping around with Minnie.

The figure in front was... large. Even if I stood, I suspected my eyes would only come the middle of his chest. Schwarzenegger-esque build. Dark hair. Bright red shirt, open-collared to show off a hairy chest. Knife on a belt. Gloves. From the various comments I'd heard, none other than the Big Boss of Erie himself, Brett LeBlanc.

Behind him were, it appeared, identical quintuplets. Same photoshopped model-like faces. Same blonde hair, just styled a little differently. Same dresses, which presented their various assets more obscenely than if they'd been simply naked. Each and every one of them was staring at LeBlanc in ways that made their clothes the epitome of prim and proper decorum.

I adjusted my glasses to try to see them better. Joe was missing, and LeBlanc's secretary had said something about there being an extra 'girlfriend' - was my search as simple as figuring out which of them had once been Joe? If so - I wasn't quite sure how much of him might be left /to/ rescue, or how to accomplish said rescue. I wasn't even sure how to tell which of them was which, or even if any were Joe in the first place.

The secretary, Edwards, appeared from somewhere unobtrusive as LeBlanc reached the bottom of the stairs. "Boss LeBlanc, allow me to introduce Bunny Waldeinsamkeit of Canada."

"A pleasure!" boomed the man. I raised my hand, and he grabbed it and shook, not quite crushing my fingers. He let go and looked at my trio of bunny-ladies in waiting. "That's a lot of rabbit people," he commented. "Any of you related to that mad bunny queen?"

I suppressed a sigh; it looked like the farce was going to continue. "I don't think I'm /very/ mad."

LeBlanc blinked, and looked down at my legs, and my wheelchair. I improvised, "Legs are a lot less important when you're flying."

"You don't /look/ like a queen," he insisted.

"That's what I was going for." He blinked a bit, so I elaborated, "I have much to do, and too much pomp and ceremony gets in the way of that."

LeBlanc crossed his arms. "I don't believe you."

"That's your prerogative." In the back of my mind, I started wondering what sort of spin I could put on things that would require the least amount of my secrets to be revealed, such as by coming up with an alternate secret to try, not very hard, to protect; the best idea that came to mind was that I was on the outs with the rest of a hypothetical royal family back in Europe, and had been sent up the St. Lawrence River as some sort of punishment. It wasn't an especially /good/ idea, but it gave me a structure to start building with while I tried to come up with something better. "I don't need to be treated as royalty to buy groceries, hire a few people, look into a building, and so on. So it doesn't matter"

"/I/ say it /does/."

This time I didn't suppress my sigh. "Would you like me to get my tiara out?"

"That wouldn't prove anything!"

There was a slight clearing of a throat, and Edwards faded into view again. "Please pardon the interruption," he slid a folder out of his suit jacket, "but after Bunny introduced herself, I suspected that the Queen Bunny might be nearby, and so I took the liberty of printing out some of our references on royalty. Just in case additional protocols of state were required, you see." LeBlanc waved a hand, and Edwards handed him the folder, opened to a page that I couldn't see.

"Ha!" bellowed LeBlanc. "If you're a queen, then where's your uniform?"

I blinked. "Pardon me? I think your reference might not be relevant."

Edwards stated, "Given the symbolism of your flag, I take it that you are presenting yourself as queen of Canada, or some close variation thereof?"

I tilted my head at him. "... You take that correctly."

LeBlanc slid his finger along the page, reading aloud, "'The Commander-in-Chief of the Canadian Forces is supreme commander of Canada's armed forces. Con-sti-tu-tion-ally, command-in-chief is vested in the Canadian sovereign' ... more stuff... 'Unique Commander-in-Chief rank insignia ... uniform' ... and more stuff. And some pictures." He tried to slam the folder closed, looking triumphant. "If you're really the queen, then where's your rank insignia?"

I thought about trying to talk my way out of this little trial-by-wardrobe, but had another thought. I slid Boomer out of my own pocket, and held her to my cheek, like a brick-style cell phone. "Boomer," I started.

I was interrupted by LeBlanc exclaiming, "You have /radios/?"

I blinked up at him. "You don't?"

He crossed his arms and looked away. "We don't /need/ radios," he muttered.

"... Right. Boomer," I repeated, "In my chambers - would it be possible for me to exit them wearing the uniform that was just described?"

"As of the latest available policy documents, the Canadian Forces are making one of their periodic attempts to shift their branch structure from a simple nested hierarchy to a set of multiple optional tags. If you wish to wear a Commander-in-Chief's uniform for this display, then given recent events, I would suggest building it using the tags of Signals, Rangers, and Air Force."

I nodded, said, "Thanks," and tucked her away again. "I hope you will forgive me for my lapse - I am still new to my role, and have not had time to finish reading up on all the non-essential details."

LeBlanc didn't look happy. "You're bluffing. You have uniforms packed away and you don't even know about them?"

I took off my glasses and rubbed the top of my nose. "If I come back out of there wearing something that matches your pictures, can we move on from all this?"

--

The outfit produced by Internet's clothes fabricator was surprisingly comfortable. Due to Wagger, I once again opted for skirt over pants; and basically had to cheat outright with the footgear, since the Canadian Forces uniform regulations stored in the machine's vast clothing-related databanks didn't anticipate either hoof or digitigrade paw. Given my ears, I opted for a narrow 'wedge' cap instead of a beret. The main part of the uniform was basically a business suit, plus flourishes; such as a braided rope going from my right shoulder to the middle of my chest that Boomer oh-so-helpfully identified as an 'aiguillette'.

The 'Air Force' tag covered the general uniform design and colours. 'Rangers' added an insignia to the hat, and 'Signals' supplied the colours of some trimming, and another insignia. The actual rank insignia of Commander-in-Chief was the crest of the arms of Canada: A lion, standing on a red-and-white wreath, wearing a crown, and holding up a maple leaf in one paw. This was sewn onto the epaulettes on top of my shoulders, and along with some gold trimming, the ends of my sleeves.

When Nurse-Bun rolled me back out of Munchkin, LeBlanc looked at me, looked at his folder, and back and forth again.

He declared, "I still don't believe it."

I let my voice go flat in annoyance. "Then perhaps I should point out a small detail you have forgotten. Either I really am Queen of Canada and Commander-in-Chief of the Canadian Forces - or I am somebody who has a vehicle well beyond anything you are capable of using, let alone building; aircraft; weapons that are, again, well beyond anything you can field; and I can build arbitrary objects from scratch in as little time as it takes for them to be described. If I want to say I'm a queen, or a baron, or an Indian war chief, is it really in your own best interests to focus on insisting I am no such thing? Or would you profit more from playing along long enough to figure out how I can benefit you?"

Edwards gently took the folder from LeBlanc's hands and tucked it away again. The secretary asked, "What can the city of Erie do for you, Your Majesty?"

Don't annoy the bunny queen :)

That it always needs to come down to cannon boat diplomacy. But at least she tried otherwise, that usually counts for a lot.

*Chapter Three: Co-sine*

"No, I am /not/ going to agree to abide by your justice system, when you haven't even got a written city charter or constitution to define said justice system, let alone any sort of bill of rights!"

I glared at Edwards, gripping my wheelchair's armrests, and he calmly pulled back his latest offering of a 'contract'. LeBlanc had claimed "other business" to attend to, and disappeared back into city hall with his bevy of bosomy belles, leaving his secretary with the ever-so-specific instructions of, "You know the paperwork stuff. Get it done."

The first paperclipped bundle of paper Edwards had tried to hand to me, Toffee had snatched before I could even reach for them - and then she started guffawing out loud, pointing out how practically every word was designed to screw me over. Edwards had produced another pre-written contract, which had none of the hooks in the first one - just a completely different set thereof. The third was no better, at which point I called a stop to the process, by saying, "In order for any agreement, there has to be at least a small amount of trust that the other side is going to fulfill the general spirit of the deal. Trying to get the best deal possible? Sure, I don't begrudge you that. But at this rate, I might as well just declare that whatever building I get secedes from the town of Erie and becomes its own sovereign city-state. And use the force of arms to defend itself from your attempt to assert control over it. At least /then/, if I didn't like the ensuing peace treaty, I could just maintain a state of war between the city of Erie and the republic of One Fifty East Front Street."

After that, negotiations had gotten... mildly more productive. At least, Edwards wasn't trying to have me hand over my crown if some random person LeBlanc called a 'judge' said I should, any longer.

Fortunately - at least for my temper - the discussions were interrupted when Sarah cantered around the corner of Munchkin, bearing a new form - another woman, tanned, freckled, brown-haired, and, apparently, annoyed.

I tilted my ears in time to catch her mutter, "Great, a brand-new batch of idiots."

Sarah came right up to the tea-table-turned-negotiation-station. "This is Denise," she introduced her companion. "You wanted doc, she's our doc."

"I'm /not/ a doctor," Denise the not-a-doctor announced as she swung her leg over Sarah's back to dismount. "I'm a vet."

I spoke up, "That's not necessarily a disqualifier. I'm actually looking for a doctor with multi-species experience."

"Multi-species, that's me alright," Denise said, looking at me up and down. "What's wrong? Bad change?"

"Perhaps we should have this discussion in greater privacy." I turned from her. "Mister Edwards, perhaps you could take this opportunity to try to come up with a contract that indicates you don't intend to welsh on immediately." I looked back up at Denise. "Would you like to join me in the sitting carriage?" I waved at Munchkin.

Denise shrugged, and only said, "Yeah, alright."

I nodded. "Nurse-Bun, please wheel me aboard Munchkin."

As Denise followed, she asked, "If you already have a nurse, what do you need me for?"

I waited until we were both aboard, and the door closed behind us, before answering. (The carriage had had some internal divisions thrown up while I'd been out, dividing the single room into several; Bear Joe and the others seemed to be in a different one.) "I am in the middle of several research projects. I have access to a fully stocked pre-Singularity library, and various other goodies - but I don't even know how to apply stitches properly, and managed to save the lives of Sarah, Jeff, and Toffee only by the skin of my tee-"

"Wait - /you/'re the one who did that to her?"

"Did what?"

"Re-changed her. Fixed her spine, cleaned up her GI tract, plugged the lymph leaks, and so on."

"Ah. No, I asked for a favour from a post-Singularity intelligence, on compassionate grounds; and that's the method it chose."

"What about Tommy?"

"Tommy who?"

"My cousin. He was part of that stupid 'expedition' of theirs."

"Ah," I said again. "He's still alive, technically, but was in much worse shape, and required more extreme measures to keep from dying irreversibly."

"What measures?"

"I expect him to be re-born in another couple of weeks."

"One of my regular patients was changed into a pig, and she can still talk, so I'm not going to say that's impossible. I /am/ going to say there had to be a better way!"

"He - and the others - had been dead for at least an hour by the time I got to them."

"What about Toffee?"

"She was kidnapped before the rest of the expedition made it to the nerve gas. Didn't Sarah tell you any of this?"

"If you hadn't noticed, she leaves a lot out when she says anything."

"I suppose." I shrugged. "Anyway - if I'd had an actual medical professional aboard, then maybe I /could/ have found another way to keep them alive. And given the direction of several of my research projects, having someone who knows a spleen from a pancreas could save untold amounts of time and effort chasing dead ends."

"I'm no researcher."

"Do you, in fact, know the difference between a spleen and a pancreas?"

"Of course I do!"

"Then you have enough theoretical knowledge to be helpful. As for practicalities - do you have any experience with, say, grizzly bears?"

"Enough to know to keep as far away from them as I can."

"What about a person changed into one?"

"I've worked with a skunk, a raccoon, and lots of farm dogs and cats, which covers most of the range of extant carnivora. Do you have a bear with a problem?"

"I have a bear; as far as I know, it's problem free. How about monotremes?"

"You're joking."

"Fine. Hard-shelled egg layers?"

"Chickens. Pigeons. Ducks. Geese. The bear hasn't been changed to lay eggs, has it?"

"Not to my knowledge. If a serpentine critter attached itself to a member of our party, what would your recommendation be?"

"Examination, removal and disposal."

"Examination reveals that it's already linked circulatory systems."

"How extensively?"

"Enough that the critter can breathe for the host."

"How big is this parasite?"

"Snake-sized - a foot or two long."

"That doesn't make sense - the lungs wouldn't have nearly enough surface area to oxygenate enough blood." I raised an eyebrow, and she rolled her eyes. "Fine. I suppose that with some combination of hyperventilation, and if the host just happened to have something like a beaver or otter's diving reflex to reduce oxygen usage, and maybe another trick or two, it's not /impossible/. Would make removing the thing a bitch of an operation - that much vascular interpenetration would mean there'd be a hell of a scar left, too."

"Would you be willing to demonstrate a brief examination, if I were to remove my left shoe?"

"I've been wondering about that - I noticed your feet don't match. But you've been asking me for my qualifications - what are yours?"

"Most relevantly, that I have enough resources to make the offer that if you tell me what you want, and it's not something I have to take too much time out of my own research to accomplish, I'm willing to help you get it."

"That's not the sort of offer any sane employer would make."

"I'm also keeping my eye out for a decently trained psychologist, psychiatrist, psychotherapist, or any other sort of p-doc for hire. I'm not holding my breath that one will show up soon. In the meantime - I want to pursue my research, and as part of that, I want the safety net that having a trained medical professional around would provide, for the inevitable disasters that occur in any workplace. As long as what you ask for takes less of my time and resources than the benefit that safety net provides, I'm willing to consider hiring you."

"I have a thriving practice. Hiring me full-time won't come cheap."

"Is a salary all that you would want, then?"

"Is that a trick question?"

"Not at all. It's nice and simple, and I'm willing to pay that, if you'll accept it. However, as I said, I also have other resources. If there's anything else you desire more than simple silver, then I may be able to provide more benefit to you for less cost to me. Do you seek recognition? Your own research project? A particular physical change? A political position?"

"Show me your foot."

"That doesn't seem like that big a demand." Nevertheless, I bent over to remove the footgear from my hoof.

"I think we'll stick to negotiating for a cash salary." Denise knelt down and ran her fingers up and down, I guessed feeling out the muscles and tendons. "You haven't been keeping good care of it, but I've seen worse."

"That I can believe. I once skimmed a manual on livestock diseases. The phrase 'black mastitis' still makes me shudder."

"I can also tell you've been walking on it, regularly. How often do you need the chair?"

"Less often than I get by with just a cane. Does this mean you're interested in the job?"

"It means I'm not ruling it out. I still want to know more about how /much/ silver you're offering - and what the job involves other than standing around with my thumb up my ass while I wait for somebody to do something stupid. And what you think 'research' actually involves."

"Fair enough. Any complications I should be aware of? Family needing supporting, or whatever?"

"I have cortical visual impairment, which blocks the left half of my visual field. This has led to Charles Bonnett syndrome, where instead of seeing nothing in that area, I experience complex visual hallucinations."

I blinked. "You seem to be able to see well enough to, well, do whatever it is you're doing to my limb right now. Do these hallucinations interfere with the, um, active part of your vision?"

"No, and I can tell the difference between them and reality. However, /some/ people think that a doctor with less than perfect vision shouldn't be /allowed/ to operate on 'important' people."

I shrugged. "I've been dealing with more quirks than you can shake a stick at. I'll probably ask to see some sort of summary of your vet practice records, just to make sure that you don't have measurably worse results than a comparable practice; but I'm not going to let a little thing like easily-recognizable visual oddities disqualify an otherwise competent medical professional."

"Maybe you're not a /complete/ idiot." She stood. "Okay, strip."

I raised an eyebrow. "I feel tempted to make an off-colour joke."

"I still haven't accepted your job offer. I need to see what I'll have to deal with, first. Do you have any medical equipment aboard?"

I nodded, thinking of the autodoc. "Some, yes."

"Take me to them."

--

After I was poked and prodded by Denise as thoroughly as any heifer, and with barely any more regard for dignity, we adjourned back to the sitting room for further discussion. And tea. Even if it wasn't real tea, the ritual of sharing a cup let me at least pretend to regain my dignity.

"You may not be a /complete/ idiot," she didn't exactly praise me, "but you don't seem educated enough to run any sort of research, let alone have enough income to pay the salary I plan on demanding."

I decided that I didn't have much to lose by going into 'full impressiveness' mode. It seemed at least as likely as any other approach to getting me my multi-species doctor. I began with finances.

"I'm taking a page from Canada's settlement of the west, and am enticing squiddie emigration to Lake Erie by offering what I'll simplify as a significant tax break compared to their current system. It's not perfect, and a lot of details still have to be hashed out. But, one of the benefits of a federal system is that resources can be redirected from subregions where they're abundant to where they'll provide significant economic benefits; even if the actual transfer of wealth would otherwise be infeasible, such as due to a tragedy of the commons, or information inequality, or organizational friction, or communications inefficiencies.

"I'm certainly more comfortable taking a small portion of the resources of the Dominion of Lake Erie, and using them to help fund the payroll of the heliograph operators, than I am using, say, a lottery."

"What's wrong with lotteries?"

"Lotteries are often described as 'taxes on the stupid'. Given that for every dollar you paid for in tickets, you'd expect to get about half a dollar back, on average, that makes a great deal of sense. The people most willing to buy a lottery ticket are the people who can least afford the constant drain on their pocketbooks. Since one of my goals is to maximize the number of people with the knowledge to help me, and a lot of potential candidates are poor, requiring a certain amount of resources to pay for the education needed to give them the foundations of knowledge necessary to be /able/ to help me... using a lottery as a fundraising measure is somewhat self-defeating."

I took a sip from my cup, and she took one from hers. She seemed to be following along so far, so I decided to go all-out.

"Of course, if you look at lotteries deep enough, it's possible to find an exception - though you need to have a broad background in both physics and math. About a year ago," at least from the perspective of my own subjective memory, "I came up with what seemed like a clever idea about lotteries. If you assume that the Multiple Worlds Interpretation of quantum mechanics is true, that at every instant, uncountable numbers of timelines spring forth, each one minutely different from its neighbours... then lotteries take on a brand new meaning.

"The roughly fifty-percent return on lottery tickets? That's just the /average/ return - it's distributed unequally. If you pull a few clever tricks to ensure that there is some quantum randomness between the ticket you buy and the lottery number drawn, then in different timelines, nearly all of you will win nothing, some will win the small prizes, and a very few will win the big prizes. Say, one in a million will win a grand jackpot.

"Now, some people will say that if there's an infinite number of timelines, and everything happens in /some/ timelines, then it doesn't matter what happens in any. To which I can answer that there are an infinite number of numbers between zero and one, so by the same logic, a one-tenth slice of a cake is just as good as a three-quarters slice of the cake. Sure, you've still got /some/ cake, but there are good reasons to want /more/ cake if you can get it.

"Anyway. The fact that a vanishingly small fraction of you happen to win a big jackpot is, even from the perspective of most people who delve into Multiple Worlds ideas, a pretty irrelevant fact - there's no particular reason to spend significant time planning for an event that's almost certainly not going to be experienced by you. However, the thought I had was that, on occasion, a quantitative difference in the resources you have can make a qualitative difference. The example I came up with is if there's some huge disaster coming that's surely going to kill you - /unless/ you just happen to have enough resources to avoid it, or head it off. For example, if the Yellowstone mega-caldera were to erupt, then, unless you'd won the lottery and used the money to build yourself a self-sustaining shelter, you're going to die. And since you never happen to experience any of the timelines you've permanently died in, then, after that eruption, the only versions of you who will still be alive will be the ones who've won the lottery."

I paused, blinked, and frowned. "Okay, that's a new thought. If I take my previous idea, and consider it in terms of quantum immortality, that pretty much by definition I'm never going to live through a timeline in which I'm permanently dead... does winning the lottery count as evidence, even just a smidgen of weak evidence, that a disaster's about to happen?"

She finally interrupted my near-free-associating chain of words with a frown. "Don't be ridiculous."

"No, hold on," I protested, raising a hand in defense, "this might actually be a significant thought."

She shook her head dismissively. "Even if it were, surely somebody else would have thought of it first."

"I'm not so sure. When I came up with my earlier version of this idea, all the pieces had been waiting around for years, for anyone else interested in the idea to put together - but no one had. And even when I did think of it, and tried to explain it, nobody particularly cared about it. It is entirely possible that, in all the years since I had that thought, only a very few people directed their thoughts along this path - and none of them kept thinking to this additional variation."

She raised an eyebrow, in a way I guessed was somewhere between skeptically and dismissively. "That sounds pretty arrogant of you."

"Arrogance is an /inaccurately/ over-inflated view of oneself. Is it arrogant to hold an accurate estimation of one's ability?"

The mere skepticism was gone, replaced with, if not outright disgust, at least disapproval with distaste thrown in. "What, you think you're /special/?"

I was trying to work out the ramifications of the idea I'd just had, so I worried less about maintaining the structure of my multiple-choice past, and more about the truth, and how my past experiences affected my interpretation of it. "Out of the entire population of the planet, only a very few, on the order of one in a million, ever signed up for cryonics. Of the few thousand who ever signed up for cryo, as far as I know, only one's ever been revived. So yeah, I think it's safe to think there's something a little special about me, and not be arrogant. Now, where was I - right. The Disaster-Detecting Lottery Oracle. Which may or may not actually be a thing."

She didn't comment on my revelation of having been frozen. Instead, she focused on, "Lots of people have won lotteries, and not had a disaster happen."

"Of course they have. I'm not saying that winning a lottery is /strong/ evidence of a forthcoming disaster - but even if it's very weak evidence, as long as it's non-zero, it's possible that some further elaboration of the idea could strengthen the signal. Or that some implication of the whole setup suggests that certain plans should be made in advance, and pre-committed to. Or all sorts of other odd things.

"Let me see..." I tapped my chin thoughtfully. "Let's go for the spherical cow case, and simplify as much as we can."

She rolled her eyes, and said, "Sure, let's do that," but I was almost ignoring her by now.

"Let's start by making a few assumptions. That the probability of survival is either one hundred percent or zero percent, depending on whether you win the lottery, or if there's a disaster. Ah! That makes things easy - I can try building a Venn diagram of the possible combinations, and see what insights I can get from that."

She said something vaguely questioning, which came reasonably close to, "Ba?"

"Okay. On this paper, I draw a circle. Inside the circle are the timelines where I continue living, which I'll designate with L; and outside the circle are the timelines where I don't continue living, which I'll designate not-L, using an exclamation point as shorthand for 'not'. This second circle I draw, overlapping the first, contains the timelines where I buy a winning ticket, and the timelines outside it are the ones where I don't buy a winning ticket: T, and not-T. And this third circle, overlapping the other two, is the timelines where there's a disaster, and outside the ones where there is not disaster: D, and not-D.

"There's a total of eight areas on the paper, each with some combination of L or not-L, T or not-T, and D or not-D. Now, according to the mental model, if there's no disaster, then I'm not going to die - so I can cross off the areas that contain both not-L and not-D. Actually, given the principles of quantum immortality, then I'm never going to experience /any/ timeline in which I'm dead, so I can actually cross off all the not-L areas. I can also cross off the area where there's a disaster, and no winning ticket, but I live.

"That just leaves three areas left. In all three, I live. In one, there's no winning ticket, and no disaster. In another, there's a ticket, and no disaster. And in the third, there's a ticket, and a disaster. Which means that, according to the assumptions we've got so far, winning a lottery really does mean there are greater odds of a disaster coming than not winning it."

She'd been watching my sketching, and seemed to follow what I was saying, but said, "That's absurd. Your assumptions must be wrong."

"It's absurd," I agreed. "My assumptions are definitely wrong - but not necessarily wrong enough to invalidate the model. Hmm... I'm probably positing too strong a version of quantum immortality. There's always going to be some highly unlikely coincidence that allows for survival, just not necessarily a pleasant life. Okay, let's try Venning a new model, with two ways to survive the disaster, either pleasantly, by having enough money; or unpleasantly, by having to, say, amputate most of your limbs. Hmm, I think I'd better do this one as a table instead of drawing circles."

After a bit of scribbling, I said, "Okay, I think that narrows down to four scenarios. One: All good. Win the lottery, no disaster, no amputation, and live. Two: Buy survival. Win the lottery, yes disaster, no amputation, and live. Three: Nothing happens. No win, no disaster, no amputation, and live. Four: Unpleasant survival. No win, yes disaster, yes amputation, and live. Hmm... the only obvious correlation is that not winning the lottery is mild evidence for having to undergo an unpleasant life, via having to amputate something to survive. Maybe if I start playing with the probabilities? Well, I could do that for hours before seeing any useful results.

"Maybe I should look from a different perspective? Let's drop the amputation, and go back to a simpler model. Assuming that it's true - what would it take to make use of this, to get it to work in the first place? Hm... in the timelines where there's no disaster, then nothing has to be done - I'll just live anyway. In the timelines where there's a disaster but no winning ticket, then there's nothing that /can/ be done. So the only timelines which actually might require a change in behaviour are the ones where there's a winning ticket, and a coming disaster. So I might as well set up whatever plans I make as if winning a lottery means a disaster is coming.

"Which takes us back to one of the initial assumptions: that having a great big pile of money offers some chance to survive an otherwise unsurvivable disaster. One problem with that: money, by itself, doesn't do much of anything useful; it's what you can buy /with/ money that's most likely to make a difference. And another problem: there aren't that many disasters which are /very nearly/ unsurvivable. Pretty much anything that causes widespread enough damage to require a lottery's worth of cash to buy the gear to survive with requires a fairly specific set of gear /to/ survive. Most such disasters would come close to being existential risks. Yellowstone blowing. Pandemic. Asteroid impact, or some other cosmological catastrophe. To survive any of /those/, you'd need, say, a fairly self-contained power source, a... fully recycling system of food, air, and water... probably a certain amount of mobility, like being able to, uh, go underwater to avoid a radiation burst...

"... Oh, crap. When I said that finding that robo-factory was like winning the lottery, I was mostly joking. Now I don't /want/ this clever idea I just had to be true, because if it /is/... Fuck. Fuck, fuck, fuck. Put a pot of tea on - now I actually /need/ to try to figure this out, instead of just trying to impress you with how clever I am."

"Is /that/ what you were doing," she said, not asking, followed by a sip of tea; which didn't hide her slight smile at me, from me.

"So I try to put on a good show for possible new hires. So sue me." I'd started jotting down notes on what I'd have to ask Boomer or Alphie about to double-check my disturbing new idea. (I was still trying to be discreet about their existence, given the anti-tech prejudice I'd seen elsewhere on this side of the lake.)

Denise turned her head to read more easily. "'Increase confidence level'? Are you psyching yourself up to ask for something?"

I shook my head, vaguely annoyed at the distraction. "I make mistakes on even simple math often enough that it's a good idea to double-check my results. The more ways I use to re-check the math and logic of this, the more confident I can be that the results are accurate, and not just some fluke of coincidence."

"Speaking of coincidence, that reminds me. You said that you think you're the only person ever revived from cryonics?"

"I'm the only person I have evidence for. Anything might have happened in Arizona, or at any of the overseas places."

"You also said that this 'quantum immortality' thing means you're never going to be, how did you put it, in a timeline where you're permanently dead."

"Eh, close enough."

"Have you considered that those two things might be connected?"

"Which two? Wait - what?" I set down my pencil and focused on her again. "Um," I eloquently stated, "No, I can't say that I've spent much time thinking about that."

"I can't say that I'm very happy about being in a timeline that only exists to keep you alive-"

I shook my head, and she let me interrupt her. "That's not how it works. The branching is going on right now. From your point of view, however unlikely my survival has been so far, it's /you/ who's never going to experience a timeline branching from this point where you've died. Some likely or unlikely happenstance will happen to keep you going." I gestured at the vehicle around us. "Some happenstances are a lot more likely than others, so in a lot of the timelines you survive, it may be because you end up with enough control of what are currently my resources to keep yourself going."

"I've seen animals in a lot of situations where euthanasia is the kindest thing."

I shrugged a little. "That's the icky part of the idea. However bad your situation is, however much pain you're in - there's almost certainly at least some set of timelines in which you keep on keeping on."

"Even after decapitation, when the head is still blinking and looking around?"

"Even before I was frozen, I had an episode of transient global amnesia, which was pretty good evidence that a chain of memories doesn't have to be continuous for a person to survive. Maybe in some timelines, somebody comes across the head, throws it in an icebox, and later on someone tries reviving the thing."

"Well, now I know what my next bunch of nightmares are going to be about."

"And now I know that even aside from your medical qualifications, you've managed to pick up enough general education to listen to my thoughts - and point out a consequence I hadn't thought of myself. Here's a question: If I say that a certain area is probably dangerous and that you should stay in the vehicle, and someone else comments they've never had any problems there, what would you do?"

"Stay in the vehicle, of course."

"You're hired."

"I haven't said I want the job."

"I appreciate all the skills and talents of everyone I work with - but at the moment, you're the only one who I feel I should stop and pay attention if you call me an idiot about something. I'm deliberately putting myself in a bad negotiating position here to show you how important that is. Make whatever unreasonable salary demand you like, and as long as it isn't /absurdly/ unreasonable: you're hired."

"What if I want a house?"

"Done."

"You're joking."

"Denise - right now, one of my most skilled associates thinks archery is a better idea than firearms marksmanship. There's an old saying that if you're the smartest person in the room, you should find another room." I waved my hand, palm up, at her. "Hello, room."

"Are you trying to flatter me?"

"Would that get you to agree sooner?"

"I'm actually not sure."

"Then here's the most accurate compliment that comes to my mind: I'm at least mildly confident that Sarah bringing you to me might be enough to offset my annoyance that she and Jeff blew up the robo-factory I was relying on, to forgive them for that little incident."

"You're comparing me to a robo-factory?"

"Yes."

"... I've had worse pick-up lines."

Um... I think the quantum reality that keeps you going is called plot armour. It only works so long as a writer is interested in your story and keeps writing you alive. In case that the author stops writing you your fate is part of random chance again. Unless a friendly fanfic author decides to write your further fate.

I think Bunny should make less assumptions and use less techno-babble. I mean holy hell, instead of coming to the obvious conclusion that someone/something is interested in her survival Bunny makes up this ridiculous theory that since she's alive this reality is the only reality where she's alive. What about the quantuum reality where she didn't die and the singularity was a good one? She begins to dismiss random chance and intelligent interest. Who says she would have died if she didn't find the robot factory? This way lies madness.

To me this stinks like magical thinking. Bunny has a nice theory and just takes the facts that seem to support it. That's not science, that's a conspiracy theory. Does she have any evidednce at all for the strong assumptions she makes about reality? Like "Quantuum realities"? I've only heard about that in science fiction novels.

Um... I think the quantum reality that keeps you going is called plot armour. It only works so long as a writer is interested in your story and keeps writing you alive. In case that the author stops writing you your fate is part of random chance again. Unless a friendly fanfic author decides to write your further fate.

I'm at least aiming to abide by the principles of Rational Fiction ( http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RationalFic ), in which plot armour is minimal-to-nonexistent.

I think Bunny should make less assumptions and use less techno-babble. I mean holy hell, instead of coming to the obvious conclusion that someone/something is interested in her survival Bunny makes up this ridiculous theory that since she's alive this reality is the only reality where she's alive.

After I-the-real-person came up with the idea of the DDLO, I checked with various people who know much more about physics than I do; and if the Multiple Worlds Interpretation of quantum mechanics is accepted as an initial premise, there doesn't seem to be any obvious flaw in the DDLO's construction. That's not to say that that's a good enough reason to attempt to apply a DDLO in real life, or that there's no subtle flaw - but at least in this particular instance, I'm trying to write Bunny as being completely sane.

What about the quantuum reality where she didn't die and the singularity was a good one? She begins to dismiss random chance and intelligent interest. Who says she would have died if she didn't find the robot factory? This way lies madness.
To me this stinks like magical thinking.

There /is/ a magical thinking variation to the idea. If you make arrangements so that unless you win a lottery, you will be killed with an extremely high certainty, then the only timelines in which you survive will be the ones in which you've won the lottery. Run that experiment a few times in a row, and you'll only survive in a squintillionth of all the timelines you /could/ have lived in; but that squintillionth will have the resources to do many things, and will have strong evidence that MWI is true.

There are, of course, certain flaws with this experimental procedure. There are even flaws beyond the obvious ones.

Bunny has a nice theory and just takes the facts that seem to support it. That's not science, that's a conspiracy theory. Does she have any evidednce at all for the strong assumptions she makes about reality? Like "Quantuum realities"? I've only heard about that in science fiction novels.

Bunny has pre-death reasons to believe that MWI is a better approach than any of the others that have been thought of; though these reasons themselves are difficult to summarize. (An index to a reasonably thorough covering of these reasons can be found at http://lesswrong.com/lw/r5/the_quantum_physics_sequence/ .) Trying to stuff all of /that/ into a novel would, well, make it stop being a novel and start being a physics textbook.

This does highlight that Bunny is going crazy...

The polite term these days is 'neurodiverse'... (ahem)

The polite term these days is 'neurodiverse'... (ahem)

When her neurodiversity starts to negatively impact her goals, life and expected lifespan I'd say crazy is entirely appropriate. That is not intended to be an insult, it's meant to be an observation and a request that she gets herself some skilled psychological assistance.

Like telling someone who's suffering from a severe cut to find a medical professional to bind their wound...

When her neurodiversity starts to negatively impact her goals, life and expected lifespan I'd say crazy is entirely appropriate. That is not intended to be an insult, it's meant to be an observation and a request that she gets herself some skilled psychological assistance.

Like telling someone who's suffering from a severe cut to find a medical professional to bind their wound...

A question; if you were to accept, for a moment and for the sake of argument, that the DDLO is a logical consequence of MWI, would you still consider Bunny to be crazier than before, after this chapter? That is, are you taking the DDLO's apparent nonsensicality as evidence for Bunny's insanity?

A question; if you were to accept, for a moment and for the sake of argument, that the DDLO is a logical consequence of MWI, would you still consider Bunny to be crazier than before, after this chapter? That is, are you taking the DDLO's apparent nonsensicality as evidence for Bunny's insanity?

If she honestly believes in the DDLO and that it'll keep her alive despite everything or makes for a half way decent predictor for anything? Yes.

It smacks of destiny and prearranged futures. Although admittedly, if she doesn't deny the possibility that she ends up permanently dead no matter the possible timeline the situation changes again. After all, you are immortal until you die, amd afterwards you are dead. Given that your conciousness would've ceased functioning at that point, it doesn't directly counter the idea that it's not a timeline she's experiencing though.

If she honestly believes in the DDLO and that it'll keep her alive despite everything or makes for a half way decent predictor for anything? Yes.

Er... It's not the DDLO that will keep her alive despite everything, it's quantum immortality; QI is merely an idea the DDLO is based on, and is a previously-existing idea based on the Multiple Worlds Interpretation. For 'half way decent predictor', I tried to have Bunny describe that the default DDLO offers only extremely weak evidence: probably less than a single deciban (which means a change in confidence level from, say, 99.0% to 99.2%).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back