ROB wants something of yours and is willing to trade for it

What will you let ROB take?

• Total voters

We Just Write

Blatantly Plural
Pronouns
Plural
So, ROB thinks you've got a nice head/set of arms/pair of legs, and has decided they want to keep them, maybe wear them around in some alternate dimension. Make no mistake, ROB'll be taking at least one of your parts, but you get to choose which and you get something back in return. No matter which one you pick, you get your choice of having the absence smoothed over like you were born that way, or ending in a stump. So, with that in mind, what are you willing to give up?

Head: Don't worry, ROB's not going to kill you. In addition to maintaining full cognitive capabilities and control over your body, you get a few other perks. Despite you not having a head, people are still able to recognize you no problem. You no longer need to eat, drink, or breath (though you still need the bathroom somehow); on top of that you have perfect audiovisual awareness within 300 meters and the ability to focus your full attention on all of it at once if you so choose. You can still talk too.

Arms: In compensation for giving up your arms, you receive telekinesis. You can exert up to 50 kilonewtons of force on anything within 150 meters that you can perceive, divided among however many objects you want. You are not subject to Newton's 3rd law, but can't move yourself directly or indirectly.

Legs: You can fly! Admittedly you can't go higher than 150 meters or exceed highway speeds, but you can fly! In addition to the normal options for smoothing over or stumping the abscence, you can also opt to fade away into a wispy tail, sort of like the genie from Alladin.

No, you can't decide to go for multiple or ditch your whole body. ROB's only interested in making a single trade with you for the time being. ROB will not take no for an answer, and will default to taking your head if you try or take longer than half an hour to choose. With that in mind, what do you pick? Personally, I'd probably go with the flying.

Last edited:
The first one breaks the laws of thermodynamics, but despite the potential to prevent entropy I like food so I'm going with the wispy leg tail.

Legs W. stumps, get some prosthetics. Is it 150 meters above sea level or 150 above the nearest stable surface?

I'd assume stable surface, because otherwise I'd be killed as soon as I took the deal as my flight powers rammed me into the ground.
It's only a max height for flying. You'd just be unable to fly there and have to use a wheelchair or some other method of locomotion, rather than forced below 150 meters.

It's only a max height for flying. You'd just be unable to fly there and have to use a wheelchair or some other method of locomotion, rather than forced below 150 meters.
Than the power is objectively the most useless and shouldn't be taken.
Nearest stable surface. You can fly anywhere, you just need something to push off of.
Presumably you can fly "Near" things too even if there's technically not a surface 150 meters below you so you can climb tall buildings.

Why is everyone so focused on flying? I checked with a friend who knows physics: Fifty kilonewtons is enough to suspend five tons against Earth's gravity. That kind of telekinesis can lift and toss cars! Form bulletproof force fields! Put out every cigarette in sight because screw the smokers, I like breathing! And in more everyday life, it's just incredibly useful to be able to pick things up around you without getting out of your seat.

I was considering the head, but what would I actually use all that awareness for? I'm a shut-in for a reason. Besides, there's no compensation offered for the sense of taste. That's a deal-breaker.

Because we can't use the TK on ourselves and it's too easy to gib someone with a thought. It's like having a primed grenade in your hands at all times.

Since the spirit of the gift over the letter of the law seems to be in effect, I would think it was implied that we would have full control over these abilities, as if practiced.

Since the spirit of the gift over the letter of the law seems to be in effect, I would think it was implied that we would have full control over these abilities, as if practiced.
Sure, but you might snap and punch somebody. Imagine snapping and punching somebody if you were one of the world's strongest men, what happens?

That's happened to all of us, but have you ever done that without holding back? We do that practically by instinct. A part of us knows we aren't really trying to hurt someone. Figure it'll apply to the TK too. And if not, well, still an awesome power.

Besides, nobody can possibly link it to me. I'm a skinny, little geek, how could I kill someone with that much force?

That's happened to all of us, but have you ever done that without holding back? We do that practically by instinct. A part of us knows we aren't really trying to hurt someone. Figure it'll apply to the TK too. And if not, well, still an awesome power.

Besides, nobody can possibly link it to me. I'm a skinny, little geek, how could I kill someone with that much force?
Because you'd previously demonstrated TK in your everyday life and don't have any arms to punch with?

I think it's more that you hold back for fear of hurting yourself. Your jaw for instance. You have the power to crack a nut with those things, but no matter how hard you try, you can't apply that force just by slamming your mouth closed. You'd break your teeth, and you know this.

Anyway, I choose legs. My current legs are pretty crappy anyway (they're functional, but I can barely get 12mph out of a road bike and the knees make cracking noises when I squat.) Flying, especially at motorway speeds, would be great. I could do my delivery job much faster. Kind of like Kiki's Delivery Service, except I'm clearly not a witch. I'd go for stumps though. If you've got a wispy tail instead of legs, where do your privates go?

Also, why does ROB need my legs? He's omnipotent. He could give himself legs from thin air if he's that desperate.

Last edited:
I tell ROB to fuck off because I like my body the way it is and so does my girlfriend.

Congratulations! You're headless!
Then I kill myself as I have no interest in living with body dysphoria or being unable to kiss someone. ROB can eat shit, I'm not going to be part of "overcoming adversity" bullshit, I'm just offing myself at the first chance I get.

Last edited:
Hmm. Do flight/telekinesis require energy or are they pulled from the ether? (In other words, would they burn calories)

The head is almost certainly the best for me, but there's no guarantee that I wouldn't take legs anyway just to have fun flying.

Back