They were still half a click above their target, the rest of his squads descending on grav-chutes, their black-and-red-trimmed armor making them nearly invisible in the Tuchankan night.

Wrex? He eschewed such pleasantries.

He fell like a stone, his broad feet ripped at by the passing wind as he steadied himself. Clan Tayleth's holdings were well-defended, including the best AA-guns Tuchanka had to offer. Which was why the shuttle had been high and quiet enough not to alert them of their descending doom. His lips twisted as he shifted slightly, letting the wind shove him sideways towards where the Broker's intel showed was a weak patch in the roof.

Time to give new meaning to a Krogan air drop.

Wrex smashed through the roof like an artillery shell, gun blazing before the smoke and dust of his entrance had cleared.
i wonder how difficult it would be to teach him the biotic abilities like Charge, and the one some biotics use to float.
Combine the two, fire himself upwards, and he can do an air drop without a shuttle almost whenever he wants.

could probably take someone along for the ride to act as an airbag on impact.

an thats not counting using Charge to increase the damage.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

*HUUUUGS!* Finally! Finally! Finally someone replied! >^___^<

Thank you so much for the comment, it's things like this that make me want to continue writing (not that I'd ever -stop- at this point, but still).

Thanks again, and please, if you have anything you want to discuss about the fic (other than spelling mistakes, I make a shitton of those, and this is -after- my co-author goes through it), pleasepleaseplease don't hesitate to do so!
Heh, I don't know why more people don't respond, it's an interesting story that you have clearly poured a fair bit of time and effort into, I know I personally hesitate to say things on the appparent direction of the story because I don't want to unduly influence the author, I'd much rather read what they wrote than what they might think I want to read. Especially in a organically grown plot line like this where there are a few general guide points but otherwise is up to the author on how things get from A to B to C.

Spelling corrections will happen once I can figure out how to work the response field to properly link quotes to the correct posts ... which will be when I have more than a half hour to sit down and fiddle with it.

Aria shows she is an absolute Badass, but now that she's survived, I think she has solid proof needed now for her conviction to arm up the Terminus Systems for an all-out war. I don't recognize the reapers heavy ground unit based on the description, might just be because I haven't played the mass effect games in so long.
I could definitely see Garrus waiting until the last second because "it's cooler that way" 🙄😆
Orbit strike Krogan ... yeah, that checks out with Wrex, so does the beat your enemy into the ground but instead of killing him, make him your ally by virtue of offering a position where they can flourish even though they are an underling ... at least within this story, now I wanna know what his plan to deal with the council is because he's got to have a plan and I'm not sure what it is personally

Heh, I don't know why more people don't respond, it's an interesting story that you have clearly poured a fair bit of time and effort into, I know I personally hesitate to say things on the appparent direction of the story because I don't want to unduly influence the author, I'd much rather read what they wrote than what they might think I want to read. Especially in a organically grown plot line like this where there are a few general guide points but otherwise is up to the author on how things get from A to B to C.

I appreciate any viewpoint you can possibly offer, fresh eyes see clearly and all that.

I've been working on Jorukaia's story ever since I first conceived of her back in 2014, and oh god does that sound old, nearly a -decade-! I've still got so much story to tell, and by the time things Ripple to a conclusion, the Mass Effect universe will be a very strange and different place. ^^ So many goddamn butterflies, and more are spawning every minute!

Aria shows she is an absolute Badass, but now that she's survived, I think she has solid proof needed now for her conviction to arm up the Terminus Systems for an all-out war. I don't recognize the reapers heavy ground unit based on the description, might just be because I haven't played the mass effect games in so long.

Quite probably, they were rather iconic, and exceptionally hard boss-fights in ME2. ^^ I'll let someone else spill the beans on who / what they were, though. I can't hog ALL the fun!

Aria used biotics on a level we don't see from her even during the Omega DLC, where she was -royally pissed off- about being driven off "her" station. It probably didn't come through quite well enough in the combat (I have got to polish up how I write those with my co-author), but she tore apart several Collectors with each blast. She was a lawnmower, and they were the weeds. ^^

She's got proof-positive that the Reapers are coming, and won't just go fuck with the Council, and linked the Collectors and the Reapers together. That intel is enough to start forcing her to arm the Terminus. Which will cause -other- ripples.... ^^

I could definitely see Garrus waiting until the last second because "it's cooler that way" 🙄😆
Orbit strike Krogan ... yeah, that checks out with Wrex, so does the beat your enemy into the ground but instead of killing him, make him your ally by virtue of offering a position where they can flourish even though they are an underling ... at least within this story, now I wanna know what his plan to deal with the council is because he's got to have a plan and I'm not sure what it is personally

"Look, it was harder than it seemed to find a spot where I could shoot without blowing out a bulkhead, alright?"

Garrus, cut the snark, and you aren't allowed out of the box! *Stuffs Turian-plushie back behind the 4th wall.*

AAAANYway, Wrex has been slowly hammering it through his people that fighting and killing aren't goals in and of themselves, but merely a means to achieve your -real- goal. And he's slowly unfolding his plan to give them the real goal: a resurgent krogan species. Among other things, he needs someone who can rig up and power all those ancient anti-orbital guns still scattered across Tuchanka. ^^ Might as well put the old tech back into use...

Interval 04: Dark Currents (4)
The game is set, the pieces are moving.

Checkmate in eight moves.

After two years as the newest member of the Council, Anderson had learned many things.

For example, he had learned to stop being surprised when the Salarian Union knew about his reports on galactic affairs before he even presented them. The STG prided itself on being three steps ahead of everyone else, and even knowing the enemy's move before the enemy did. Hell, he suspected they knew what his secretary's nephew had for breakfast.

So when the salarians called for an emergency meeting of the Council, it could only mean that something had truly caught them off-guard.

As Anderson and the other Councilors walked into a briefing room specially designed for secrecy, seeing that Valern's pallor was almost white as snow, he knew it was anything but good news.

Tevos and Sparatus clearly shared the same sentiment as the three sat down at the table, watching the rigid Valern with wary eyes. They had never seen the Salarian Councilor like this.

"I... I thank you for coming on such short notice." Valern quietly spoke. It was only thanks to Anderson's N7 training that he spotted the tremble in Valern's fingers. He could feel it in his gut. Something was terribly wrong.

"What is it, Valern?" Tevos's concerned tone was tinged with a note of worry as she took her place, her sleek, teal-blue dress quite fetching today as she smoothed it into place as she and the other councilors took their seats. "What's wrong?"

"I received new information from my government just over an hour ago." The salarian's eyes looked jittery, hyper-alert. "Before I begin, I must remind everyone here that this conversation must be classified top-secret at the highest level. It cannot be made public knowledge and is only to be shared with the leaders of our respective governments. I cannot stress this enough, Councilors."

This was serious. Beyond serious. Whatever it was, this was about to shape galactic history.

Sparatus spoke up, his voice grave. "So noted. Proceed."

"Very well then," Valern nodded as he typed several keys on the table, summoning a rotating holo-image of a turian soldier. "Two years ago, former C-Sec detective Garrus Vakarian joined with our then-Captain Anderson in the hunt for Saren Arterius. He was commended for playing a substantial role during the Battle of the Citadel, especially after obtaining a powerful rifle of advanced yet unknown design which he used to single-handedly eliminate multiple Geth siege walkers."

The image shifted, showing a turian with an oddly large sniper rifle. It was both extremely long, almost as long as the M-98 Widow that had recently been in trials, though where they had gotten the idea for such an overpowered weapon was anyone's guess. The gun nuts moved in mysterious ways.

The weapon had a comically large muzzle, and its fat barrel ended in a pair of back-slanting exhaust ports, clear sign that this was no mere mass accelerator. The huge, book-sized detachable box magazine might have been mistaken (in bad light) for an ammo block, and the bullpup configuration had it nestling up against the turian's armored shoulder. The oversized optical scope gleamed in the hologram, as if watching even those who saw it at this remove, and made Anderson shiver slightly in remembrance of the last time he stared down a sniper's scope.

"After the battle, Vakarian soon disappeared and took the unknown rifle with him." Valern continued. "A team of STG analysts was dispatched to locate him and the weapon."

Anderson mentally grimaced. He had nothing but the highest respect for Castis' son, but even he had to approve of the search. He saw that weapon take out a Geth Colossus with a single shot. No respectable military in the universe would allow a soldier as disgruntled as Garrus Vakarian to resign and then take a loaded bazooka like some free souvenir.

"As everyone here knows, Vakarian stayed underground for several months until he later resurfaced on Omega, apparently having assembled a vigilante group against Omega's rampant criminal elements."

Valern was answered by a trio of nods. The Council had been aware of Vakarian's activities on Omega for almost a year. As he was outside Citadel jurisdiction and was admittedly having quite an impact against the heart of many criminal operations that affected Citadel space, the Council had been happy to leave him be. Especially as it also presented a special opportunity to keep Aria T'Loak in check.

The asari Queen of Omega had been rapidly growing in power and influence over the last two years, and it didn't take a genius for C-Sec and the STG to figure out how. Many reports had come in of the Darastrix having visited Aria in her frigate-sized dragon form and in broad daylight, and then disappearing somewhere for a private conversation. The very next day, Aria T'Loak suddenly began expanding her control over the Terminus' criminal operations at an alarming rate. Her influence, intelligence, charisma, and even her already prestigious biotic power seemed to have multiplied tenfold.

The Council wanted to know why the darastrix had decided to enable and empower a ruthless criminal empire adjacent to Citadel borders, but for someone that publicly boasted she had nothing to hide, Joru was notably difficult to contact.

To discreetly counter Aria T'Loak's growing power, the STG had taken a greater interest in Garrus Vakarian's vigilante operations as 'Archangel'. His advanced weapon combined with his tactical brilliance and technical expertise had proven resoundingly effective against Omega's crime lords. Especially with a very capable team he had scavenged together, including a Nyreen Kandros with deep knowledge of Omega's schematics and Aria's operations. And much to the STG's delight, a semi-retired operative and explosives expert of theirs had found his way onto Archangel's team. After reaching out to their former agent with the offer of providing covert funding and intelligence, Archangel's successes skyrocketed.

The Council easily understood and approved the proposal. The STG wasn't alone in such tactics. Alliance Intelligence, Turian Blackwatch, and even asari commandos. It was a favorite tactic for special forces and intelligence communities across the galaxy to discreetly support and even train the local insurgents of rogue and hostile nations.

Anderson glanced at Tevos from the corner of his eye. For reasons she declined to share, the asari councilor seemed quietly yet firmly displeased with establishing preemptive measures against Aria T'Loak, such as funding vigilantes within the asari queen's domain . But even Tevos admitted that the Council could not ignore a rapidly growing criminal empire, and thus added her vote of approval. Albeit with the caveat that Aria T'Loak wasn't to be provoked unless the asari queen actively brought direct harm to the Citadel races.

"We remain aware, Councilor Valern, but why have you brought us here?" Anderson reminded his colleague. "What's gotten you so nervous? Has there been some sort of development?"

The salarian councilor's lips pressed thin, then deactivated the projection of Vakarian's image and sighed heavily. "Three weeks ago, we followed a batarian freighter that escaped from Hegemony space, carrying several thousand of their remaining slaves. All human and asari. After tracking the freighter to Omega, we deduced the batarians were hoping to sell these slaves to obtain new weapons for the Hegemony and sent a tip to Archangel's group of the convoy's arrival and likely purpose."

Valern paused. "As it turned out, the batarians intended to sell their slaves to the Collectors."

There was a shift in the room. Tevos turned grim at the name, Sparatus' mandibles flared slightly, while Anderson was only confused.

"Collectors?" The human Councilor asked. "I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with this group."

"Not a group, Anderson, an entire race." Sparatus sighed. "One that I barely know of myself. Mostly rumors and ghost stories from the Terminus. Most have never heard of them, let alone even believe they actually exist."

"They're an insectile, reclusive race." Tevos's quiet murmur seemed to only add to the tension "Bipedal, and possessed of extremely advanced technology. Some of the best bio-engineering advancements have been made studying Collector technology, which seems to be at least partly organic."

"The STG has always gone to great lengths for the past two thousand years to retrieve any such samples for analysis." Valern explained. "Which is difficult as they rarely ever make an appearance, and only to 'purchase' people from slavers and mercenaries. But during this meeting, the Collectors..."

"They were picking up a cargo of at least four thousand slaves. Mostly human, with a large minority of asari." Tevos seamed to recite from memory, her voice glacial as Valern's mouth shut with an audible click. "They deployed a full squad, and were engaged by Aria's forces. Aria herself lead the charge."

Sparatus spun around in his seat. "Tevos? You knew of this as we—?"

"The batarians were wiped out, but the Collectors put up a fight. Evidently they deployed some sort of bio-organic heavy troops, which were able to drove Aria's forces back." She paused for just long enough for the silence to grow palpable, before finally meeting Valern's wide eyes. "That is when Archangel engaged the Collectors, is it not?"

"...Yes." A nonplussed Valern answered. "Our agent reports that the Collector's leader defeated Aria with ease and was about to eliminate her before Archangel intervened."

The asari bowed her head slightly at that, fidgeting a little with her robe.

Anderson subtly shook his head as he remembered another lesson as Councilor. The salarians had some of the best spies in the galaxy, true, but the asari had connections everywhere.

"Moving on... Archangel and our agent with him managed to arrange a rendezvous with one of our ships to return the slaves home. But... that's not why I've called this emergency meeting."

A pregnant pause took the room as Valern gathered himself. He was visibly unsettled.

"Among the slaves, our agent managed to send no less than five intact Collector cadavers. Allowing us to perform our first official autopsy and study of Collector physiology."

"And?" Sparatus seemed quite interested, leaning forward and lacing his talons together. "What did you find?"

"First, we took them to Aeghor Station..."

"Aeghor?" Sparatus asked. "So this is what that whole mobilization scare was about?"

Aeghor Station was a prominent research Outstation, orbiting freely about the galactic core outside the reach of any star, along border between salarian and asari space.

Valern proceeded to give a quick explanation. The cadavers arrived at a prominent salarian research station with excited doctors and xenobiologists eager to make the first study of Collector physiology in medical history. Even a renowned Dr. Mordin Solus was given temporary leave from a special assignment to conduct the study. But three days later, the scientists found something that put the entire station into lock-down. All comms were sealed and no one was allowed to leave. Within hours, the salarians deployed two entire fleets to guard the station, their first overt military blockade in three centuries.

Whatever they had found, the salarians were frantic to keep it under wraps as they ran a fine comb and triple-checked even the smallest detail. And eventually, the dalatrasses released their findings to Councilor Valern with the authorization to share it with the rest of the Council.

"Our scientists ran intense genome sequence analyses." Valern slowly spoke, his large dark eyes those of a man who had had his foundation shaken. "The results were so shocking that countless other tests between samples from all five bodies were performed to verify the findings. But the results were always the same. There was no error. We found a quad-strand genetic structure that is unique to only one race... the Protheans."

Tevos's shocked gasp was covered by a hand raised to her mouth, her eyes large, and Sparatus almost lunged from his seat in surprise. Anderson merely felt numb, as the information took time to process. "So, wait...."

"Yes, Councilors," Valern nodded almost numbly. "And there is no mistake. The finest minds of my people have run every test imaginable, even a few they invented just for this. There is no mistake; the Collectors are Prothean."

"I..." Tevos' hand had moved to hold her forehead. "I can fully understand why this information cannot be made public. It would change everything as we know it. History, technology... oh Goddess, the Hanar Illuminacy would fall into chaos..."

"Not to mention the military disparity." Sparatus' dual-tone rumble was more felt than heard, his eyes distant as he folded his talons together. "My people don't place much emphasis on ancient civilizations, but we have often considered how the Protheans must have possessed an impressive military to maintain order across the entire galaxy. I can only imagine the advantage an additional fifty millenia of weapons development would have given them."

"That's certainly a worrying thought." Anderson nodded grimly, already feeling a headache coming on. Two years ago, he, the darastrix and the Normandy crew had been chasing leads of the Protheans in their quest to stop Saren. The things he learned back then had changed everything, and now yet another revelation had come to knock him on his ass. "Alright, we'll have to leave most of this to our scientists and philosophers. But if the Protheans are truly still out there, I suspect our immediate priority is to determine their plans, their motive."

"Exactly, Councilor Anderson, and at least now we know where to look." Valern was fiddling with his omni-tool for more data. "All we have now are a few cadavers, but my people often specialize in learning about a species by looking at their science and technology. Sadly, what we have found is most disturbing."

"You still have our undivided attention, Valern." Tevos smiled.

"Well," Valern shifted, both in discomfort and intrigue. "The most pertinent point is that they might no longer to be said to technically be Prothean."

"Oh, wonderful." Anderson's head dropped into his palm. "Now it's going to get complicated."

No one disagreed.

"The only remaining similarity to the few traces of True-Prothean DNA samples we have on-file are the quad-helix structure and 66% of the base-pairs used in the structure itself." Valern gestured, and a 3D holographic display of a Collector materialized, hovering before the Councilors. Valern stood up and began to circle the table as he carefully explained the matter to his peers. "The genetic structure is fundamentally different from all other samples of Prothean-like genetic material we have so far discovered. It is actually much simpler than the samples we have managed to fully map."

"Simpler?" Tevos's tone held a soft note of concern as Valern flicked a finger and changed the display.

"Yes. As you can see, the Protheans had 63 chromosome quartets." The initial 'cell' diagram zoomed in to show a sequence of clustered strands. "The Collector DNA samples only contained forty seven. Where the missing genetic material went, we do not know, but, there are more worrying concerns."

"More worrying than the sudden rewriting of an entire species' genetic code?" Anderson was feeling nauseous and wasn't quite sure why. All of this was far above his technical level.

"Indeed." The display focused in on one of the chromosomes clusters, a sweeping scan translating it to alphanumeric gibberish as Valern continued. "We have evidence that the Collectors were subjected to incredibly fine gene-splicing and genetic modification, in addition to the reduction in their genome size. Suffice to say, this goes far beyond even the most radical violations of the Council's laws on genetic modification. Whatever did this has done so without any sense of regard or preservation for the Prothean race."

The salarian Councilor highlighted multiple points of the Collector's holo-display. "All reproductive organs removed, a distinct lack of any digestive system, and the absence of many other crucial functions to properly continue the species. Traces were found of repetitive cloning over many generations, but all the inevitable genetic breakdowns from excessive cloning were merely bypassed with cybernetic implants to compensate instead to repair. The most disturbing discovery, however, is how all neural functions have been rewired with sensory input transfer structures. A system which can only be described as forwarding sensory data to a remote location, and receiving instructions from the same."

A horrified silence retook the chamber. Sparatus' mandibles were hanging wide open in an undignified manner while Tevos' blue complexion turned nearly white. Anderson was the first to find his voice. "God help us all... then the Protheans are truly dead. Nothing left but empty, hollow corpses."

"And their remains are being treated as nothing but cheap mechs!" Sparatus growled, his talons furiously digging into the table. Anderson wasn't surprised; when it came to desecration of the dead, not even the human race reacted as widely severe as the Turians did. A militaristic society as dignified as theirs treated the fallen with the highest respect. "The Citadel, the relays, even element zero! Our society as we know it owes the Protheans everything! And this is what has been done to them?!"

"Was this... some reaction to a dwindling population, or in response to whatever catastrophe caused them to vanish?" Tevos's tone held a bewildered note that was somehow even more terrifying than the revelations of the Collectors' origins.

"Unlikely." Valern immediately countered. "Extremely unlikely. Whatever happened to the Protheans long ago, this far exceeds any reasonable response to preserve the species, no matter how extreme the circumstances. There is nothing left of them to rebuild. Something chose to remake the Protheans into a pseudo-insectoid race like the Rachni, with drones and servants answering to a greater intelligence. Furthermore, fifty-thousand years is much too long, more than enough time for any society to rebuild. Whoever is in control of them has made no attempts to do so and is clearly quite content with this 'system' as it is."

"I agree, Valern." Sparatus nodded. "This seems to me more like a self-absorbed group saw an opportunity to seize power entirely for themselves. Purely to indulge themselves at the expense of their people's survival."

"Or as retribution." The others glanced at him at Anderson's musing words, making him frown. "We don't know what the Prothean society was like. It's entirely possible they had a civil war. Or possibly something happened with the Relays, isolating them into pockets of inhabited worlds that only later recombined."

"Valern, how long ago were those genetic modifications made, is it possible to tell?" He met the oily-black eyes of the salarian councilor with a worried stare of his own.

Councilor Valern blinked before digging back into omni-tool in search. Anderson knew what was truly responsible for the Protheans, and knew he needed to find a plausible link. For this, he was counting on the salarians, being salarians, to have analyzed the crap out of this discovery.

"Hmmmm…" Valern hummed. "It was difficult. But once we determined the extent of the modifications, we immediately tried to trace the progenitor generation, much much like analyzing the age rings inside a tree. So far, we've narrowed the start of the cloning down to within several centuries after the Protheans' disappearance."

"Ahh." Anderson turned to give Sparatus a knowing stare, watching the tension build in his primary opponent. "So, if we can assume that they didn't do this to themselves..."

"Yes, it's extremely improbable. As described, this process irreparably cripples their ability to properly continue as a species." Valern blinked his large, black eyes, his features stern and grave, even for a salarian. "It's only goal is to preserve and augment their motor functions, akin to mechanical automatons with no conscious will."

"Then the only logical conclusion, is that the protheans were conquered." Anderson turned to glare at Sparatus, who lifted his head from where he'd been resting his chin on his hands. "Conquered. At the height of their power. Conquered, by an outside force to be used as biological drones. Conquered by a force of sufficient power and expertise to repurpose an entire species into nothing more than vat-grown, cybernetic servitors, biological mechs who--"

"Enough, Councilor Anderson." Sparatus snapped, "I know what you're doing; the Turian Hierarchy will not entertain the Darastrix's beliefs after what she did. Both Primarch Fedorian and Palaven Command are still just as furious that she's not been held responsible for her actions!"

Anderson mentally winced. It was easy to forget that Sparatus had grown adept at spotting any of his efforts regarding the Reapers.

"My people have often speculated over the possibility of the Protheans having been destroyed by a superior military power," the turian continued. "But with this new evidence, that no longer makes sense. How is it we manage to find the scant traces of the Protheans but nothing of a conquering empire to take over? Explain how this Reaper theory fits that!"

Anderson grimaced. He had him there, and the former N7 knew how 'they magically erased all evidence' was a very weak argument. But he had to do something; this discovery was the mother of all lucky breaks, and he had to seize it before it was dismissed and delegated to run-of-the-mill historians.

Imagine his surprise when Valern came to his defense.

"Several experts made comparison studies to another source of data, Sparatus." Both men cut their gaze to the Salaran, who looked like he had smelled something foul. "The, ahh, 'Husks'."

Anderson's eyes widened as the salarian bit off each syllable as if it pained him. "Husks, manufactured using organic remains, cybernetcally altered and augmented, given rudimentary control networks, piloted by rudimentary VI systems with Seek-IF/F code and attack routines. Nothing left of the individual they once wore."

"Similar in methodology to what was done to the Protheans..." Tevos's voice came with a reluctant sigh.

Anderson might be on a very different battlefield now than the one he had signed up for war upon, but he could still spot a strategic and tactical objective and opportunity. He sat back in his chair, his voice grim. "That sounds like the thinking of a machine to me. Cold, heartless, ruthless, the utilization of every last scrap of resources for the maximal effect. And a mind of malice and cruelty to use our own dead against us for both cannon fodder and terror tactics. I wonder where the Geth learned it from..."

"On that, Anderson, we can agree." Sparatus glared at the Collector's image, his earlier outrage at such desecration returning. "So, the Protheans had their own Geth problem, did they? A rebellion of machines, and now some group of AIs is ruling over their remains in some isolated kingdom somewhere? Unacceptable."

Anderson began to open his mouth but the ice-shiver that ran up his back at Tevos's glacial glare made his teeth click together The Asari councilor gave a faint, almost imperceptible nod before turning to Sparatus and continuing in a silky-smooth tone that replaced the ice in his brittle spine with uncomfortable warmth. The woman wasn't even speaking to him, and, damnit, she was at least eight times his age! Besides, he had...

"The pertinent matter is that the Collectors are here, Sparatus. And they are not friendly." Tevos shot the hologram a cool stare, her elegant features pensive as she shifted in her seat. "Regardless of their masters, they are purchasing our citizens, in numbers never before seen. I would not be surprised, given the way our species have spread out, that we begin receiving reports of entire colonies going dark."

"Human colonies, mayhaps." Sparatus's tone was grudging, grumbling under his dual-toned breath. "The way your people spread out, Anderson, it's a wonder they haven't had more trouble with pirates and slavers before now."

"We've had more than our fair share, Sparatus. That's one of the reasons we wanted Citadel protection." Their eyes met, flint meeting steel hard enough for sparks to fly.

"Regardless of what masters they may serve, they are taking vast numbers of slaves from the batarians. Our citizens, Sparatus, and many other souls across the Terminus. And Goddess have mercy for whatever they are doing to them."

Sparatus grew quiet, returning his stony gaze to the Collector's image, thinking of those same modifications being done to Turians, humans, and many others. "What do we know about the people they've been taking?"

Anderson's eyes widened slightly as he realized what Tevos was doing. 'Oh, you sly, clever little...'

"What few records we have on the Collectors over the millenia all say they take their prisoners beyond the Omega-4 Relay." Valern flicked a finger and the hologram shifted, showing a tactical map of the Omega system. "A relay infamous for how no ship that ventures beyond it ever returns."

"So, these prisoners are never seen again?" The turian councilor asked.

Valern nodded in agreement, his thin lips set in a hard line.

Sparatus growled. "Then something must be done about them."

"On that, Sparatus, we wholeheartedly agree." Anderson could barely keep his relief and elation at the slim victory under control. Taking a tired breath he glanced away from the turian's suspicious stare, eyeing the tactical map. "The question then becomes one of strategy and politics. What can we do about it, and what are we able to do about it, given the political and military constraints?"

"Limited data available," Valern frowned. "The Collectors have never been sighted outside the Terminus. Whatever's controlling them has clearly been careful to stay outside our jurisdiction. Invisible and with free reign. Not to mention the Omega-4 relay is firmly in Aria T'Loak's territory, lying next to her throne. So for that matter, all in favor of dedicating more STG resources to Vakarian's vigilante group?"

"Aye."

Sparatus sounded resigned next to Anderson's more forceful response. After a moment Valern nodded his assent.

All three of them turned at Tevos's soft sigh, but under their scrutiny, the asari raised her hand as well. "Let it be recorded that the vote was unanimous. And let us pray that Aria is forgiving of the transgression, considering its cause."

"Ah yes, the 'Queen of Omega'," Sparatus said, miming quotation marks and apparently not seeing the slightly pained expression Tevos's face.

"The Turian Hierarchy doesn't care about whatever entitlements that self-absorbed crime lords like to adorn themselves with," he finished with a negligent wave of his hand. "Back to more important matters, appointing a group of insurgents as watchdogs isn't enough. We need to do more on our own end."

"... Agreed," Tevos lifted her mild glare off her compatriot. "For matters of this scale, we should not sit and wait until the evidence is delivered to us. We should start working from another angle."

The asari tapped a few keys at her terminal, most likely to bring some other information on the holo-display. "Instead of blindly rushing forward searching everywhere, I suggest we go back and review the clues we have dismissed before."

She finished typing and when Anderson looked at the display he saw the dossier of an asari he didn't recognize.

"Dr. Liara T'Soni, daughter of Matriarch T'Soni, who was captured by Saren and retrieved on Virmire. She's been away from the public spotlight since then due to... health issues, but even before her abduction, the Doctor was known among the scientific circles of my people for her somewhat unorthodox ideas concerning the Protheans. She once hypothesized that Protheans did not disappear due to disease or a natural disaster because there was no evidence of that, as if someone deliberately deleted the information. The same Dr. T'Soni said about the Inusanon, of whom we have only a few writings from Prothean sources on." Tevos squirmed in her chair again, pointedly not-noticing Anderson's instinctive glance. "Her last hypothesis was that there might be a certain pattern in the disappearances of the ancient civilizations. In our hubris, we dismissed her theories, considering them to be nothing but fantasies of an overly excited maiden. Now it seems that we failed to see what a young mind considered to be painfully obvious."

Tevos sighed and continued. "Thus, I suggest that we form a group of investigators that would revise her theory as well other similar theories that were proposed in the past but dismissed for various reasons. Employing Dr. T'Soni might be a good idea as well – her studies of the Protheans and her experiences as a prisoner of Saren might prove useful."

Valern scratched his chin thoughtfully. "Not the most effective approach, because many of those theories will be nothing but baseless speculations, but see no other viable alternative. I will immediately request the STG to perform thorough search among the STG archives, as I'm certain our own scientist also had alternative theories of Protheans disappearance but were dismissed due to the lack of evidence. I'm afraid it will take time. My people believe in hard facts or at least plausible theories. As such, we have no dedicated experts in this unorthodox field."

"I might be able to help there." Anderson ignored Sparatus's stare as he leaned forwards, rapidly keying his console. "I was made aware of a group of individuals who had recently been co-opted into Alliance Command's research division. A Dr. Garret Bryson, and his daughter Amanda. They were both working on theories regarding the prothean disappearance that seemed at least superficially similar to those of Dr. T'Soni. Dr. Bryson and his daughter lead Taskforce Aurora, a taskforce dedicated to investigating ancient history, archaeology, and conspiracy theories."

Sparatus leveled a stare at Anderson. "More Reaper theories, I presume?"

"Marginally," Anderson admitted. "But while they investigate several ancient theories, their chief mandate is the Leviathan of Dis."

The Salarian perked up, his already wide eyes gleaming with interest. "Interesting. Not aware of any new data on Leviathan. Theorizing off old data? Possible, but insufficient for new conclusions."

"While we're definitely interested in the 'enormous organic-looking dreadnought' the batarians made off with, it's not the central priority," Anderson elaborated. "Dr. Bryson isn't interested in the Leviathan itself but in whatever killed it."

Sparatus gave a pleased sound, his mandibles actually flaring in a smile as he sat up straighter. "Ahh, yes, that would indeed be a more profitable line of research."

"Exactly. And Reaper or not, finding what destroyed an ancient enormous dreadnought would definitely prove useful." Anderson continued, "But more relevant to our discussion, such an unique investigation has already demonstrated that Dr. Bryson and his taskforce are experienced experts at investigating the obscure. Since we are unofficially reopening the question of what became of the Protheans, then I propose Dr. Bryson's team could be used as a core of our project."

"Seconded." At Sparatus's wide stare, Valern merely blinked. "Anderson has made a valid point. The Alliance already has a team dedicated to unearthing esoteric secrets, it would be foolish in the extreme not to avail ourselves of their utility."

"I must still state my own concerns," Sparatus interjected. "I'm on-board with a dedicated taskforce investigating the Prothean/Collector issue and whatever's controlling them, but I refuse to permit any flights of fancy into the Reapers or any other such lunacy. Having a group of fringe conspiracy scientists in the same room can all too easily devolve into nonsense and egregious misuse of resources."

"If working with the humans gets us the answers we need, Sparatus, then we shall work with them. Have your own team doing cross-checks if you must, but we shall step forward along this line of reasoning." Tevos's low tone brooked no further argument, silencing the turian's objection. "Those in favor of forming a multi-species task force centered on Project Aurora?"

Anderson's hand joined hers, a sense of relief and exultation welling in him as Valern gave his usual taciturn nod of approval.

All three of them turned to stare at Sparatus until the turian councilor grumbled his own agreement. "Very well. But I insist we have a parallel team rechecking the data with an eye to finding fault in it."

"Agreed." That was Valern, who met Anderson's betrayed gaze. "Trust, but verify. We will endeavor to cooperate as much as possible with Project Aurora, while at the same time running a parallel investigation to recheck any faulty assumptions. Standard scientific rigor will not be enough for this mission. We must be sure."

"Then it is settled," Tevos concluded. "Taskforce Aurora is to become an inter-species project for our finest scientists, researchers, and specialists."

"I will inform Admiral Hackett," Anderson smiled. "I'm certain that Dr. Bryson will be delighted to find out that his project is about to become something greater."

Last edited:
Interesting butterfly there. It'll be fascinating to see how this changes the course of the Brysons' fate from ME3 (The father dying to a Leviathan Thrall, and the daughter potentially being brain-fried tracking them down.) Never mind the effect of actually finding Leviathan. But having a lot more eyes on the project will make it harder for random deaths to slow it down...
(And some impressive social-fu from Tevos to get Sparatus on board. :evil: I bet she made psychic contact with Aria to ask about the Collector encounter, didn't she?)
Also spotted a typo:
Tevos seamed to recite from memory...
Tevos seemed to recite from memory...

Oooo, I didn't even consider the angle that the STG would tag the corpses from Omega ... I'm really liking the butterflies I didn't see coming, and I'm ecstatic for the update.

In regards to the Leviathan, having the secondary team working in parallel with the data may allow for them the spot any indoctrination from afar on top of having more eyes on the project, as well as getting the Citadel species arming up to try to counter the collector controllers

Interesting butterfly there. It'll be fascinating to see how this changes the course of the Brysons' fate from ME3 (The father dying to a Leviathan Thrall, and the daughter potentially being brain-fried tracking them down.) Never mind the effect of actually finding Leviathan. But having a lot more eyes on the project will make it harder for random deaths to slow it down...

I've got interesting plans for Leviathan, don't worry. ^^ The butterfly is flapping as hard as it can!

(And some impressive social-fu from Tevos to get Sparatus on board. :evil: I bet she made psychic contact with Aria to ask about the Collector encounter, didn't she?)

Tevos was probably screaming at Aria through their link for risking herself like that. And probably got briefed on the situation long before the STG found out about the incident. ^^ it pays sometimes to be the Queen's Pet.

Oooo, I didn't even consider the angle that the STG would tag the corpses from Omega ... I'm really liking the butterflies I didn't see coming, and I'm ecstatic for the update.

You and me both! I keep wanting to follow the flock of pretty butterflies to see where they go! >^,^<

In regards to the Leviathan, having the secondary team working in parallel with the data may allow for them the spot any indoctrination from afar on top of having more eyes on the project, as well as getting the Citadel species arming up to try to counter the collector controllers

In defense of Sparatus, he's convinced that the Reapers aren't a thing, and that this parallel team will act as the breaks on a train of logic heading somewhere he thinks is a dead-end, even if the other species seem determined to ram face-first into it. The fact that it would prove a check against indoctrination would be a beneficial side-effect, one Joru would thoroughly endorse.

Joru has been -trying- (and mostly failing because she doesn't 'get' galactic politics very well) to get the Council races to start mobilizing for War for the past two years. She is -intensely- frustrated about her lack of progress, and we might see some of the fallout from that soon....

I've spent much of the past week rereading this story having fallen off the bandwagon somewhere before Virmire, and I'm impressed with how smoothly you've woven Jorukaia's story into that of Mass Effect. At this moment in time, it doesn't feel perfect though -- mainly todo with some of the stations of canon seemingly locked onto the schedule. In particular for me, why is Sparatus so glued to the can't be Reapers camp? There's been nothing in the story to explain it, but we have the Collectors = Prothean Husks reveal, a heck of a lot more info revealed to the councilors and the galaxy at large than in canon, and yet? The other annoying thing is Cerberus's seeming competence, but that is just me disliking it whenever the villians win or get away with it. I'll read the news if I enjoyed that! :p This is reading just the threadmarks, so any additional info in the other author posts (or the juicy details over on QQ) might have been missed. It is also distinctly possible that I've just misread it or forgotten it.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this story, I've greatly enjoyed it, and wish you strength and a cooperative muse in the rest of the story. I'll be eagerly awaiting each update.

Sorry to have taken so long to reply to this, in my defense, "life is shit, and then it gets worse". v.v

I've spent much of the past week rereading this story having fallen off the bandwagon somewhere before Virmire, and I'm impressed with how smoothly you've woven Jorukaia's story into that of Mass Effect. At this moment in time, it doesn't feel perfect though -- mainly todo with some of the stations of canon seemingly locked onto the schedule.

That makes me grin so hard my face is hurting. Thank you for the compliment!

The Ripples haven't diverged too far from Canon just yet, but don't worry, the train is about to start derailing. Once the events of ME2 begin, well... Joru has -plans- ^^

And we all know that plans don't survive first contact with Consequences.

In particular for me, why is Sparatus so glued to the can't be Reapers camp? There's been nothing in the story to explain it, but we have the Collectors = Prothean Husks reveal, a heck of a lot more info revealed to the councilors and the galaxy at large than in canon, and yet?

Part of that is that the Reaper theory is something Anderson has been aggressively pushing for the past two years, and Sparatus has dug his heels in mulishly to resist it at all costs. Mostly this is him being stubborn, and we've already seen cracks and concessions being offered up. He'll come around eventually, I just hope it happens before Palaven starts to burn.

The other annoying thing is Cerberus's seeming competence, but that is just me disliking it whenever the villians win or get away with it. I'll read the news if I enjoyed that! :p

Some very good advice a wise old man once told me: The way to build tension is to treat the story as if the Villians think they're the Protagonists. The Villains want to Win. So they will do anything in their power to ensure they do. This isn't going to be the plot-armor bullshit that happens in ME3, there will be actual stakes and actual consequences, and actually believable reasons for why things happen, instead of just "But The Plot Demands It".

At least, I hope they'll be believable. I'll do my best!

This is reading just the threadmarks, so any additional info in the other author posts (or the juicy details over on QQ) might have been missed. It is also distinctly possible that I've just misread it or forgotten it.

I've been trying to keep all the character-growth-relevant parts in here, so the QQ-only stuff wouldn't lock off actual plot-advancement. I may have goofed on that at one or two places, YMMV, and I'm sorry for any seeming 'out of nowhere' jumps in characterization.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this story, I've greatly enjoyed it, and wish you strength and a cooperative muse in the rest of the story. I'll be eagerly awaiting each update.

Thank you soooo much, and once my co-author gets done with her new chapter she's writing, we'll be back to poking random words together to see what the butterflies like! ^^

Interval 05: Disturbing the Depths (1)
Tis the season to be spoopy, so have a quarian horror story!

This damned rock was starting to remind her of the Lost Ship Qwendai, a quarian ghost tale.

The general gist of it was that the Qwendai had been sent on a scouting mission, only to never be seen for over three decades. When it returned, dropping out of the same relay it entered all those years ago, it answered no hails, coasted into orbit around one of the outer planets, and when they opened it up, they found no trace of the crew of hundreds that just up and vanished. All they found were bloodstains, and an ominous creaking sound.

Until the crew started coming out of the walls, and the team sent to inspect the ship were eaten by the cannibal zombie crew.

She shivered involuntarily, attracting a stare from Prazza, which she waved off, and gestured him on ahead with Kal'Reegar.

Kal. now there was a fine figure of a quarian, all tightly clad and-- 'Stop it, Tali. Focus on the mission.'

[You've got the hots for him, don't you~]

Kasumi's quiet coo in her ear nearly made her jump out of her suit. [K-KEELAH, don't do that!]

The thief's unrepentant grin flashed at her from inside her bubble-helmet. While it gave her superb all-around vision and security, since it didn't require a flexible neck, the helmet was somewhat bulky and awkward as Kasumi scampered forwards on silent-soft feet. Her long, lean body flowed from step to step as she jogged after the men. [Admit it, Tali, you think he's hot!]

The young quarian woman immediately glanced away, wishing she could increase the opaque levels of her visor to hide her blush. She was feeling so many levels of conflicted. On one hand, she was relieved that Kasumi seemed to buy it, while on the other she felt regret at forcing her hormonal attention on Reegar instead of her stare drifting towards the nimble, bubbly--no no no, stop! Bad Tali!

[Awwww, what's the matter, Tali, catgirl got your tongue?] Kasumi's soft giggle was light silver bells in her mind, as she and the marines slid soundlessly through the airless part of the old, abandoned, asteroid mining base.

Tali firmly bit her tongue to avoid her imagination taking that metaphor in a different direction. "Please focus!" she whispered fiercely at herself as much as Kasumi "My people's lives are at stake!"

"Oh I know." Kasumi dropped the playful tone as she paced softly beside her friend. "And we'll get them back, I promise, Tali."

The asteroid tumbled slowly in all three axes, and it had been a bitch and a half to get in undetected. The asteroid belt had been strewn with remote sensors, low-power comms bursts squirting back what their 'eyes' saw to the main base being their only giveaway. It had taken most of a day of drifting with the power off and only suit-power to keep them going before they'd finally gotten inside the perimeter and slid down to the abandoned side of the asteroid.

The entire thing had once been a nickel-iron asteroid, now mostly hollowed out. After the initial mine played out, the original inhabitants had evidently tried to repurpose the kilometer-long asteroid into a sort of headquarters base, according to the schematics Kasumi had gotten from somewhere. She was being remarkably cagey about her sources. In any event, it hadn't worked, and it had been simpler to just mine out each asteroid in turn rather than try to run everything from a central hub, and the base had been shut down.

That had been nearly two centuries ago, and now the base technically lay long the human-batarian border in the Attican Traverse, a simple lonely red-dwarf star and its companion debris, drifting through the galaxy, of no real interest to anyone. Perfect out-of-the-way place to conduct illegal experimentation.

And it was thanks to Tali they knew the base was being used for Hock's project to reproduce Geth tech. Tali'Zorah vas Neema knew more about the Geth than any quarian alive, and had it been anyone else they wouldn't have detected the otherwise undetectable Geth signal quietly broadcasting from the base. Which meant their people were calling for help.

The shuttle had been cramped with a dozen marines aboard, and the crew had been glad to vacate the cramped craft, which Kasumi had called the Sardine Can, and licked her lips for some odd reason. Who knew what the ex-human did anything for anymore. Thank Keelah the old grav plating was still intact and hooked into the base's internal power grid, as having to do all this in free-fall would have been horrendously obnoxious, not to mention nauseating.

"Ms Zorah." Kal's sweet, syrupy-smooth tone came over the comm. "We've found the sealed bulkhead, Prazza's crew is cutting through it now. Once we breach it'll only be a matter of time before we're caught."

"I know, already flooding the local sensor network with as much garbage data as I can to mask us. That should buy us enough time, but I'll need an inside terminal for unfiltered access. Prazza, what's your status?"

"We're working on it," the other marine grumped. "Bulkheads like this are sealed to prevent all kinds of the very breaches we're attempting right--"

The airlock suddenly hissed open and Kasumi poked her head out. "Or you can just open it from the inside."

Tali blinked at her, then glanced at the spot over her shoulder where she swore the catgirl had been occupying only seconds ago. The young woman recoiled slightly at finding no one there. "Uhhh... how did...?"

Reegar, however, simply nodded in the affirmative. "I can see why you recommended her, ma'am. Alright team, we're in! Go, go go go!" The quarian marines followed his lead and hopped down the hatch, leaving Tali outside, wordlessly pointing at the empty space in askance. It took another fifteen seconds before she managed to follow after them. Was no one else wondering how she did that? Did these 'catgirls' have the ability to teleport like Joru?

Tali shuddered. For some reason, the idea of Kasumi obtaining that power was more terrifying than any ghost story.

The marines swarmed in, rapid patter of near-silent feet skittering past one another as they leapfrogged to each additional vantage point, with Kasumi practically strolling along as Tali scurried in the rear.

They passed three turns, following the map her friend had obtained (she still wouldn't say how), and were nearing the back-end of the main base. It was set up in three distinct zones. Main admin was just inside the hangar bay, one half of which was currently still stuffed with half of a gutted and partially-dissected geth cruiser. The other half was still kept clear for other traffic, but the main admin area was in the old traffic control areas and the immediately surrounding area off the far side of the hangar from the ship in the process of being stripped.

The ship itself and the areas where work was being done on its components, including fabricating new copies of salvaged and reverse-engineered geth tech, was on the far side of the hangar from the main admin zone, but wrapped around the "north" side of the hangar as well, linking up with the Admin zones on that side.

The slave quarters and habitat zones were on the "south" side of the hangar, well away from both the Admin block, and the zone in which they did their work, and according to the map there was a massive security choke-point where the slaves were thoroughly checked for any contraband tech before being allowed to return to quarters.

The team was coming up from "beneath" the base, along a different axis entirely, where several sealed bulkheads and airlock doors connected the inhabited areas of the base to the long-abandoned mining areas, into which Tali's crew had breached, far outside the usual security perimeter.

Now, however, they were approaching the still-used areas of the base, where security would be much tighter, and the marines were visibly keyed up and set on a hair trigger. Prazza's group was visibly more tense than Reegar's, and Kal's stoic, calm demeanor was soothing, giving her a sense of surety that she wasn't sure if she should rely on.

"Clear!"

"Clear!"

"All quiet here. Ms. Zorah, how far to the control room?" Reegar did not turn to her, keeping his eyes looking for targets.

"Left here, up through a hatch, I'll need you to help with the lock, Kasumi." She consulted the map further. "Then we're into the inhabited area, from there we break left and right. Right to the controls, left to the cells."

"'Inhabited'?" The ninja asked. "Okay, I know how good you ground-pounders are at breaching a room, but let's see if we can make that job even easier."

Kasumi glanced around until she noticed a small vent just above them and grinned. "That'll work!"

"Don't get ahead of yourself, human," Prazza snapped in exasperation. "This isn't like those action vids your people are so proud of. Real world vent systems, especially for secure facilities, are never made conveniently large enough to allow grown people to--"

He trailed off and Tali watched with her mouth hanging open as Kasumi's tail vanished into the entirely too small ventilation shaft.

[Keelah, three years and I'm still not used to you fitting into places too small even for quarians.] Tali sent with slight shiver. The way Kasumi had just squirmed in there, and the catgirl's mental giggle in response was just as infectious as her physical voice.

[Right. T-junction, long split each direction. Which way, Warm Girl?]

[Left side, then down the second one on the right. You should be right over the room we're readying to breach. And please stop calling me that!]

[Only when you stop being so cute!] Kasumi's giggle echoed back, as Prazza gave Tali a flat stare through his faceplate and hers. [Unf. Little hiccup here. Lemme see about tweaking your programming...]

"Well?" Prazza prompted impatiently. "Is the human going explain how she'll 'make our job easier', or is our squad being left in the dark?"

[Gotcha, you little mouse-ling!]

Tali flinched a little at the almost predatory growl in Kasumi's mental voice. "I think she just finished hacking the scanner in the air duct."

She spoke the words as well as sending them this time, for Prazza's benefit, not Kasumi's. "You in position?"

[Of course I am! Just poking my omnitool through the grate and... there!]

Tali sighed as her omnitool accepted the live camera feed and it popped up on her HUD. "Perfect. I count.... four, no six guards inside. One of them looks like the chief."

[The one who still has her armor on? Looks like a hardass. Leave that one to mew.]

Tali was... eighty-seven percent sure she understood Kasumi.

"Lady Zorah?" It still felt strange hearing the title, even if she had earned it for her efforts during the Battle of the Citadel. Reegar's tone was respectful, if a bit direct. "We move on your order."

She could tell he was glaring at Prazza by the way the other squirmed.

[Kasumi, you in position to take out their Chief of Security?]

[Lemme at the oversized rodent.]

Tali nodded, and gave the signal.

The door opened at her command, and both Reegar and Prazza rolled through, rapidly followed by their marines. The occupants could do little more than shout before the staccato rattling of silenced SMGs cut them down.

The chief of security already had her shields up and was in full combat armor, though, but she stiffened and dropped at the massive electrical charge that slammed into her from above. "Gotcha, bitch!"

"Control room clear!" Reegar called. "Miss Zorah, on the terminal!"

Tali was already linking with the computer systems, slicing through firewalls with her new tools. Keelah Selai, were the firewalls of the Fleet as full of holes as these?!

She feared very much that, to the Darastrix's tools, they were. Good thing she'd asked for firewall programs first, and handed those over to the Admiralty Board first. The fact that Joru had also included a suite of cracking tools that even Tali found baffling was a bit worrying, but she wouldn't complain if it helped maintain her people's security.

"Got it, second wing, right where we thought they might be, but down two levels." She gestured, sending the updated maps to the marines, who were already rippling back out through the door.

She paused as a hand grabbed at her ankle. The twitching security chief's face was twisted in a rictus snarl as she struggled to roll over, using Tali's own momentum to get up to her knees, and grabbing for a nearby gun that had skittered away from a fallen guard. Before she could even blink, a very pissed off Chief Roe had her pinned to the floor and a Carnifex pressed to her visor.

"Do you have any idea who you're stealing from?" She hissed. "You and your suit rat friends are dead!"

The next thing Tali saw was a foot descending rapidly, then Roe was rolling over and over, attempting to dislodge her unwanted passenger, who kept shifting with her to finally pin the oversized chief to the floor a good meter or two away. The catgirl hissed like a boiling kettle, practically snarling in Chief Roe's ear. "NO ONE harasses Warm Girl but me!"

Tali felt sincerely flattered and embarrassed at the same time. That had been over the open channel. Oh dear.

The security chief tried to break free, but with a tighter pull from the flexible catgirl's leg wrapped around, Kasumi deftly clamped her neck. Unfurling herself with nimble ease, the master thief started strapping the slackening chief up with something that looked unnerving like packing tape. "Tali, you alright?"

"I, um, yeah. Thanks for the assist." She took the chief's omnitool as the catgirl passed it to her and started rapidly going through it. "What the... Oh Keelah, we have to go, we have to hurry!"

"Hurry? What'd you find?"

"The chief had a program on her omnitool. If she didn't disable it in five minutes, the base computers start activating the punishment modes on all the slavesuits at maximum intensity and leave them on until they die!" She shot a glance at Kasumi, meeting the catgirl's wide eyes. "We've only got ten minutes, MOVE IT, PRAZZA! I'll try and give you more time, but I'm not sure how deep this programming runs!"

A rush of affirmatives came across the radio.

"Okay okay, let me think..." Kasumi urged. "We're now on the clock, but we have the control room which gives us a lot of options, including the chief's access — wait, that's it!"

"What?" Tali was almost instinctively cracking the chief's omnitool down to the kernel layer, peeling back interfaces like that human fruit, what are they called, onions!

"That, exactly that!" Kasumi grabbed Chief Roe's omnitool, grinning like mad as she typed new commands. "I'm telling everyone there's a surprise inspection from Hock himself; everyone is to report to the mess hall while all the quarian captives get sent to one location. They do it in five minutes or Roe will have them liquidated, literally."

Tali was scrambling for the door as she caught the tossed omnitool. "I have the location, go go go!"

The marines went, scattering down the hall like buckshot, heading for individual pieces of cover to begin a rapid advance towards the rendezvous point. Kasumi and Tali brought up the rear, near Reegar as his men raced down the left side of the corridor, taking instructions from Tali or Kasumi at each turning. Prazza's men were on the right, and he lead from the front, rolling past a door to stack up beside it before his men breached, flashed and cleared the next hallway.

Their guns were silent for the most part, a few times they chattered a bit as they caught half-dressed guards scrambling for the false meeting, catching them unawares and chewing down their shields before they could react.

[Tell me you almost have the deactivation codes for the prisoners!] Kasumi mentally called as she raced to get into position.

[It's a randomly reset password, this thing isn't meant to have an off-switch!] Tali's frustration was growing as she worked feverishly with the omnitool. [I'm trying to access the reset password that would shut off the countdown timer, but I'm not sure I can crack it before it sends the signal, and then it'll get a lot worse!]

[I've seen you crack Geth ciphers in less than three minutes!] Kasumi answered before she vanished from sight. [If anyone can save them, it's you.]

The quarians stacked up at a larger door, Tali hiding behind several firm, hardsuited bodies as Reegar counted, and they blew the door. It slammed open under the prompting of the small explosive charges, and the first marines were through and ducking into cover, upturning tables and sliding into place to grant covering fire even as the three guards still shepherding the slaves began to react.

The guards had already been on high alert, three men keeping sixty slaves under control was bad odds and they knew it. The slam of the door brought shots almost from the first instant, and Prazza's squad sparked and shimmered as they rolled through the door under the hail of the guards' guns.

Tali waited to skitter through herself until the first guard went down, sending Chitika in first, to give her proper intel on their positions. Reegar's squad was following the half-forged plan they'd worked out as they stacked up, but Prazza's group was driving straight towards the slaves. Not good, they should have been circling around to get the remaining guards in a crossfire.

"Prazza, break off, head right, head RIGHT!" But it was too late even as Tali screamed a warning.

The last remaining guard hit his omnitool even as he fell, screaming from a gunshot to his leg. The timer in Tali's vision rapidly burred to read 0:00, and the slaves started screaming.

"Apply medi-gel, now!" Reegar immediately called, already tending to one writhing female. "Miss Zorah, we need you to do something yesterday!"

"Got it, I think I got it!" Tali rushed towards the writhing forms, sobbing, gasping and mewling emanating from them as she rapidly flickered her omnitool over first one, then another. The first one twitched a few times, then gasped and slumped in relief. "Yes! The hard-reboot override still works, and booting them up again with a custom kernel bypasses the kill-codes!"

The rest of the squad rapidly had their omnitools flare as she pushed the updates to them. "Hit them with the reboot command, and it'll save them, but we have to hurry, we can't do it except in close proximity!"

The marines rushed from prisoner to prisoner, uploading the command codes. Even the catgirl ninja barely moved as fast as the quarian marines scrambling to save their people.

Even so it wasn't quite fast enough. A couple of the older crew had already flat-lined by the time the marines had gotten to them, their suits killing them by driving their hearts to the breaking point. Tali wept under her mask as the last of them was hit with the reboot and finally sagged into blissful unconsciousness. The medics were still monitoring vitals, but a number of the rescuees were already starting to come around and struggle feebly.

After the danger had passed, Tali's eyes began searching among the survivors for her old friend. Her concern skyrocketed upon realizing her fellow 'fleet hero' was nowhere to be found. But that didn't make sense, they had tricked Hock's security into bringing every quarian prisoner to this location, Lia would surely be here unless... unless... oh, Keelah, please no. If the bosh'tets had already deposed of her, then-!

A survivor lifted his head, gasping softly as Reegar helped him sit up. "Lia... Where's Lia? She was... She was with us, but...!"

Tali's head snapped in his direction. "Lia? Do you know where she is?! Why isn't she here?!"

"Ma'am, ease up," Reegar ordered. "What's your name, son?"

"Nnnnggghhh... Daer," the young quarian male gasped through the pain. "Daer'Vanur vas Moreh. I knew... I knew you'd find us. Lia saved us all!"

"How so?" Tali was already checking his vitals. She might not be a medic, but she at least knew how to get a medical readout from a freshly-rebooted encounter suit.

"Clever girl really is the hero they say after her Pilgrimage Gift," Daer weakly chuckled. "She found a Geth transmitter stashed away. Managed to quietly reactivate it, covertly call for rescue."

Tali's wide eyes met those of Kasumi, who's were even bigger. "That was Lia? Incredible! I always hoped she'd pick up on my lessons!"

"Focus, Tali," Kasumi shook her shoulder. "That punishment signal was still sent to all the prisoners. Any idea where she is?"

"Uhhh..." A weak Daer tried to collect his thoughts. "She kept disappearing to some hiding place she found to store the transmitter, make sure it was still working. We tried to cover for her as best we could, but I guess security got tired of her disappearances because they threw her into special containment several days ago. No one's seen her since."

"Where is Special Containment, do you know?" Tali's voice was urgent. "She could be dying in there, right now! We have to get to her!"

"Somewhere in south wing, I don't know more than that!" Daer slumped a little in relief as Tali immediately dug through Chief Roe's now-decrypted omnitool

"Let me see.... come on, come on.... there! Special Containment!" She turned even as the squads' omnitools all flashed with the new waypoint. "Reegar, it's not far from here!"

The Marine Sergeant was already booking it, his half-squad hard on his heels. "Already on it, Ma'am! Get them to safety!"

"Not without me!" Tali darted after them. "She's my friend!"

Reegar shook his head and stared firmly at her. "This isn't up for debate, ma'am. Your father ordered me to keep you safe and--"

"And I'm the only other member of the team with the medical training Lia will need!" Tali glared into the marine's faceplate, trying not to focus on how wide his eyes got at the defiance.

Kasumi was right behind her. "I'll keep an eye on her, if that helps. You can never have too much backup!"

Reegar sighed, then turned. "I won't wait up for you, ma'am."

The short sprint to Special Containment took on a nightmarish quality later in Tali's memories, but she saw the door and cracked it almost before she skidded to a halt against the wall beside it. The portal yawned wide as Tali slid around, sprinting forward before she realized just how dark it was in here.

She didn't hear Reegar's shouted warning, nor Kasumi's shocked gasp in her mind, as she struggled to make sense of what she saw.

The rear wall of the confinement cell was written with lettering, large and small, wavering back and forth, some of it reversed, others upside down, as if the writer couldn't figure out which was was up. All of it was gibberish, or as close to it as makes no difference.

There was a bunk off to one side, but the sheet that had been included had been torn to shreds, and the pillow was soaked through. The bed itself rested on its struts at an odd angle, as if it had been hammered by repeated wild blows.

And there was no doubting who had delivered them, as the occupant of the cell slowly slid up the wall, rising shakily from a crouched huddle in the far wall.

Giggling.

Lia's faceplate had been shattered, reduced to crazed chunks of metaglass, which should have withstood even small-arms fire. Her left eye was a bloody ruin, a wide, staring eye socket mercifully shielded by a chunk of glass still partially embedded in the quarian's face. The other was wide, wild, staring, a look of minuscule recognition recognizing in it as the rest of Lia's face twitched and writhed ceaselessly around the wide, unnatural grin of her raw, exposed teeth.

"Tali... Zorah..." She spoke clearly despite the red blood staining her mouth. "I should've known you'd come for us."

Tali's horrified whisper as she saw the state her friend was in lasted only long enough for Kasumi to catch up to them. [Oh god, she looks like the girl from the old Exorcist movies...]

That jerked Tali into reaching quickly to flicker her friend's partially-destroyed suit's reboot command. She caught Lia as she tried to take a step and nearly collapsed. "I got you, I got you. We're here, you're safe, rescued. Oh Keelah, you're a mess, Lia..."

The rest of the marines were utterly silent. Even Prazza was speechless.

"By the homeworld's ancestors..." Reegar finally whispered, the stoic soldier sounding like a broken man. "What did those fucking bosh'tets do to her?!"

"I have no earthly idea," Kasumi interjected. Her voice caught Tali's ear and she shot a quick glance back at her friend.

The catgirl's eyes were fully dilated, her ears were flat-back, her whiskers arched and her tail was arched in a tight curve along her legs. She walked stiffly and practically teleported to the ceiling when one of Prazza's men brushed against her, skittering down the hall away from where Tali was helping Lia out of the containment cell. "I really hope I'm wrong, or we'll never make it to the sequel!"

"You didn't have to come, Tali," Lia's voice cooed like a vibrating glass bowl as she was helped gingerly out of the cell, giving a soft little giggle. "I'm in no danger. I'm finally where I belong. Where we all belong."

"Keelah, she's gone." Prazza sounded sick, though with horror or rage, Tali couldn't tell as he turned away. "Jenrai, get the rest of them to the shuttle, we have our stray."

"No." Lia suddenly jerked away from Tali. "No no no no... You can't take me away from the whispers. Such beautiful whispers..."

Tali reached for her friend, but was shocked at the way Lia suddenly sprang away. The quarian girl had required help to even stand upright, but now she bolted away at high speed, heading down the corridor at a full sprint!

Kasumi was after her like a shot, the catgirl actually running along one wall as she banked around a turn that Lia had skidded around. "GET THE REST OF THEM, I'LL CATCH THIS ONE!"

[Do you see her?!] Tali mentally called as she scurried after her friends. [Don't lose sight of her!]

At Reegar's confused stare, Tali batted at him. "Get the others to the ship, we'll be right behind you!"

"Ma'am!" The marine reacted to the tone of command and shot off towards the main group, barking orders over squadcomm as he went.

Kasumi, meanwhile had managed to grab Lia, her slick bodysuit glistening grey in the red light of a maintenance hatch warning light. Lia was half-in, half-out of the hatch, snarling like a madthing as Kasumi struggled to hold the quarian by her damaged suit.

"Lia, please listen to me!" Tali called as she skidded to a halt, which she'd been doing a lot of this night. "We can fix you! The new shipyard I brought, the darastrix's gift, it has some of the best medical facilit--"

Lia's head whipped around to stare over her shoulder at Tali, and Kasumi was suddenly several meters away from the strange quarian, her eyes bugging out and her tail trying to bush in its tight sheathe.

"The darastrix?" Lia gave a quiet, disquieting giggle, turning slowly towards her friend, but without moving her head at all. "No. No, Tali.... The cycle will not be broken!"

Tali felt her bones go cold and a glance at Kasumi showed the catgirl silently baring her fangs, her eyes huge, ears flattened, everything about her showing pure and undiluted fear.

Lia let loose a bloodcurdling cry. Her body bent and contorted unnaturally. Metal erupted through her decorative suit. Cables burst from her cowl. Her eyes glowed an terrifying yellow.

"Nope! Nopenopenopenopenopenopenope!" Kasumi might have been terrified, but she reacted instantly, springing so fast around the writhing thing that had been Lia'Vael that the creature hadn't the time to grab even at her retreating tail. The catgirl was already screaming over the all-hands channel, even as she barreled into Tali, practically carrying the smaller quarian with her around the corner. "EVERYONE OUT, WE ARE LEAVING NOW!"

"Keelah! Is she...?!" Tali finally started to run as the howl that broke out from behind the pair was anything but normal.

"Turning into a quarian Reaper husk?! Yes she is!" The slender catgirl was running at ludicrous speed. "I'm sorry Tali, but your friend is long gone!"

Tali sobbed wildly as she struggled to keep up with the still-accelerating catgirl. "I, oh Keelah, n-no, there has to be some mistake!"

"Alright, I've had enough of this!" Kasumi determined face suddenly regained its usual smirk. "If there's something strange in the neighborhood, I know who to call."

[Hey! Joru! Jory! Jory Jory Jorrrryyyy! I know you can hear me, wake up you big stupid lizard!]

[You had better have a damned good reason for interrupting me, Kasumi.] Joru's voice rumbled in both their minds, giving Tali a momentary set of hiccups as the deep, deep, DEEP voice seemed almost to shake her brain.

[Oh, I just thought you'd like some pictures of the homicidal Reaper husk we found!] The camera on Kasumi's omnitool was flashing like crazy where the catgirl was urgently jabbing the Send button.

[What in the Nine Hells is that thing?!] The dragon's voice sounded positively outraged.

[Old quarian friend of Tali's that wants her to join the Reaper club!]

[I've seen quite enough. Get clear you two, I can sense Tali is nearby. I'll deal with this.] There was barely time for Kasumi to barrel around a corner and drag Tali after her, before the corridor was suddenly full to bursting with ebon-black scales.

The catgirl was huddling close to Tali as they heard the momentary thunder of dragonfire. "One of the best ways to survive a slasher horror movie? Make sure the Deus Ex Machina shows up early to nip it in the bud."

There was a sudden gust of hot wind past them, and Tali turned to look, seeing the tall, muscular figure of the darastrix slam the ring-end of her weapon into the charred floor of the corridor.

Everything past her was a bubbling, half-slagged mess, and that included the half-melted, half-cooked remains of what was once Lia'Vael vas Neema. One arm ended at the shoulder, the other somewhere near her elbow. Her head was a charred, cooked lump, cables and dull-grey metal mixed with bones and seared flesh. She simply ended at the bottom of her ribcage, and was laying near one half-slagged wall, where she had evidently tried to jump out of the way of the onrushing wall of flames.

She was still twitching, a red light glaring out of her empty eye socket, the other filled with tubes and cables, running in and out of what was left of her brain. Her head lifted on its impossibly slender neck, little more than a naked spine, charred flesh sloughing off and her lower jaw cracking even as she tried to speak.

"I... I can't... hear... the whispers... anymore..."

The dragon stalked forward, her clawed toes digging into the softened steel as she raised her weapon. "Find whatever peace you may, in whatever lies beyond."

The flashing descent of the burning-hot blade sent up a shower of embers as what was left of Lia burned away to ash.

"Ancestors help me... Why can't rescue missions ever be simple?" Tali was sobbing openly now, shuddering from delayed terror and horror at what she'd seen.

[C'mon, Warm Girl.] At Kasumi's gentle mental tone, Tali glanced over at her. "At least you got most of them...."

The dragon had been prodding the remains with the tip of her spear, and gave a low sound of disgust as she came closer. "Well, this is unsettling..."

"K-Keelah, if that's unsettling, I don't want to know what you call frightening!" Tali was shuddering in earnest now, barely able to stand with Kasumi's help.

"In all the visions I was granted of what might have been in the future, this was never part of it." Joru's tone was contemplative, her brows furrowed. "The Geth were to be your people's test of character, not.... This."

She gestured at the remains, now thoroughly slagged by repeated thrusts of her blazing-hot blade. "I must ponder what to do. No Quarian was subjected to such horror in my visions..."

Her stomach gave a sickening sinking feeling. And if the Darastrix was adrift at sea, what did that mean for Tali?

Last edited:
the Qwendai had been sent on a scouting mission, only to never be seen for over three decades. When it returned, dropping out of the same relay it entered all those years ago, it answered no hails, coasted into orbit around one of the outer planets, and when they opened it up, they found no trace of the crew of hundreds that just up and vanished.
Space Mary Celeste, it sounds like.
the cannibal zombie crew.
Or not. I don't recall that bit in the Mary Celeste's story... :rofl:
Tali shuddered. For some reason, the idea of Kasumi obtaining that power was more terrifying than any ghost story.
The jump scare from a mischievous, prank loving cat girl is almost certainly terrifying.
Tali watched with her mouth hanging open as Kasumi's tail vanished into the entirely too small ventilation shaft
If it fits, I sits. Whether on two legs or four.
the whispers. Such beautiful whispers...
Uh oh... horrors from the deep, look to the moon... What did Tali do for you to inflict this on her?! Cruel, cruel author... ;p
"Well, this is unsettling..."
Understatement of the year...

Not sure if I'll say thank you for the chapter (as Joru said, it is unsettling...), but it is a good chapter and definitely evoked the feeling I presumed you wanted it to. xD

Space Mary Celeste, it sounds like.

Wait for it....

Or not. I don't recall that bit in the Mary Celeste's story... :rofl:

>^,^<

The jump scare from a mischievous, prank loving cat girl is almost certainly terrifying.

Katsumi is Ninja. ^.^

If it fits, I sits. Whether on two legs or four.

Kats are Liquid, regardless of volume. *sagenod*

Uh oh... horrors from the deep, look to the moon... What did Tali do for you to inflict this on her?! Cruel, cruel author... ;p

I got inflicted with some clips from The Exorcist for this shit, I have the RIGHT to inflict that damage on my readers!

Understatement of the year...

As Joru mentioned, The Quarians were never made into husks in any of the timelines she 'saw' in her visions. Not one. This is new. And therefore unsettling. ^^

Not sure if I'll say thank you for the chapter (as Joru said, it is unsettling...), but it is a good chapter and definitely evoked the feeling I presumed you wanted it to. xD

I hope you enjoyed, and I hope like frik that it helped convey that sense of unease I was going for. We're entering uncharted waters here, and the stations of canon may or might not be followed from here on out. ^^

Interval 05: Disturbing The Depths (2)
My deepest appologies for how long it's taken to get to this. No excuses, only explanations.

My co-author MasterMind has been working her tail off to get into her dream-job, and also spent several months working on her own fic, which I assisted with to some degree. I've also been struggling with some health issues of my own, and between having to radically change my diet, with all the accompanying depression and loss of energy that came with that, I've been somewhat lackluster in my writing.

Between that, and the sudden lack of access to my co-author, who's doing what she's always dreamed of doing, so I cannot blame her for that, I've just not been able to write as much or as often as I would have wanted to. For that, I am truly sorry. I hope you'll forgive the length of time it's taken to get back to this, but hopefully we'll be out of the doldrums soon.

In the mean time, here's some more Ripples to keep things interesting.

Three years, six months, and sixteen days.

That was how long he'd been here, according to the calendar program on the extremely basic omnitool she'd let him have.

He was leaner now, fitter. Less overtly muscular perhaps, but what muscle he did have was no longer hidden by layers of soft fat. His plates were roughened with exposure to sun, wind, rain, and the occasional brush of branches, and his talons had never seen such use in all his prior life.

Prior life. He had to remember that one, it was a good phrase.

He had a full load of grains culled from one of the fields, not perhaps as tasty as a fish, but he could catch one before sundown for his supper. The new knife still hung in its sheath at his waist, unchipped and unmarred since the day he had....found it.

That had been an interesting sensation. He'd broken his prior blade while gutting a fish, nearly sliced his thumb off trying to extricate the snapped-off bit of blade from the carcass, and dropped the fish in the fire. He'd immediately fished it out with a stick, but the damage was done. He'd tried roasting the other fish whole, but the result had been supremely unappetizing, and he'd gone to bed in a sulk, leaving the half-gutted and whole-roasted fish beside his doused campfire.

The next morning, he'd spotted something glittery near the ruins of the campfire, and when he'd investigated, he'd found both fish gone entirely, and a new knife waiting for him in its soft-shelled sheath. A gift, no doubt, from the darastrix, as it had the same dark-purple luster of her own weapon.

A movement caught his attention and he froze in place. Whatever else this place of Sanctuary had in terms of foodstuffs, ranging from the grains and fish and the occasional small herd of what he thought might be some kind of bovine, it also had predators. Some of whom hadn't gotten the memo that he was not prey.

He moved slowly and cautiously, always freezing into a kind of near-immobility whenever he spotted the movement gain. It wasn't static immobility, but a kind of mobile stance, moving with the flow of his surroundings to mask his own presence, as utter immobility when you're surrounded by waving branches is just as noticeable as movement in stillness.

There it was again, that bush rustled. It was partway down the beach, one of a clump set well away from his dwelling. It shifted and...moved.

Saren watched as the bush carefully upended itself and moved a few extra centimeters, before settling down again.

No, he realized as he crept carefully to the edge of concealment, it wasn't the bush that was moving. Something was moving the bush. Something fairly large, roughly chest high on him, with many legs ending in sharp appendages, and a pair of whip-like appendages, which were carefully adjusting the set of the plant in the soil. Even as he watched the creature seemed satisfied, and its foremost legs seemed to blur, a spall of dirt quickly being unearthed. The plant was settled into its new position, and yes, whatever the thing was it had uprooted the bush entirely, roots and all, and the dirt was carefully and efficiently packed back in around its roots once more.

He knew what it was. He'd seen the reports, he'd seen tests, in his prior life. They were tinged with grey, almost hazy now. Shortly before the end...

Rachni. Somehow, the damned things had gotten in here too.

An arresting thought stayed his hand, however. Jorukaiazahnivahkyss. She had a fondness for the lost and dispossessed. Perhaps...

He watched, fascinated, as the rachni, for no non-sapient would care about moving a plant around and planting it back in the soil once more, seemed to inspect the plant, its various appendages seeming to stroke and pat the fronds of the bush. It paused for a moment as it turned away, and after a moment Saren glanced aside himself until the rachni began scrabbling more earth back into place.

It began scurrying at frightening speed at that point, and his hand was on the hilt of his knife, perfectly sized for his hand, when it suddenly paused. It was out in the open, several meters away from cover when it did so out on the hard-packed sands just above the high-tide line. Even as he watched, it removed something from its forelegs, tucking what were unmistakably gardening trowels into a pouch or sack hung at its side. Definitely intelligent then, unlike the specimens he'd been shown. Tool-using.

It hesitated and he got the sense that while it didn't see him, as such, it was aware of his presence. Slowly and with reluctance, he let his hand move away from his knife hilt.

After another few seconds of immobility, it shifted again, and its forelegs began scrabbling at the dirt. After a bit, it paused, added a few more stabs at the dirt, and scuttled away into the undergrowth at that same unsettling speed.

He waited for a time, to be sure it was truly gone, that the thing hadn't simply hidden as he had, before he finally broke cover. It had left something on the ground, and not one of its tools.

Surprisingly intricate runes were carved into the beach sand, which was still tightly packed, this close to the water. The edges of the runes were crumbling and he quickly took a scan with his omnitool. Wait.

Why was it bringing up a translation program, and what under all the suns was "ancient dwarfish?"

What under the light of all three moons? He apparently had neighbors, then...

After some time, he fiddled with his omnitool and went to go find a stick.

That evening, when the fire had been doused, and the light of Selune shone full and bright upon the beach, a surreptitious shape carefully made its cautious way out of the shrubbery, and towards a specific spot on the sands. It paused, tendrils waving back and forth above the sand, before rapidly picking out something on the hardened turf and scurrying quickly away, leaving three distinct missives picked out in runes. The first and third lines were neat and orderly, the middle a bit sloppier.

[The Iridescence of the Wings at Sunset humbly requests an audience with her most esteemed neighbor.]​

[Three days, sunrise, by (Stone, Metamorphic, unworked, carried by glacier from highlands to rest where it now stands).]

[Agreed. The queen shall wait upon your convenience]​

"Doctor T'Soni?"

Liara blinked, turning to smile tentatively as she stepped out of the aircar.

The ride had been somewhat boring, but at least she had had her scanned documents to work on. Re-translating the sheer number of prothean documents that were publicly available was her favorite pass-time nowadays, especially as she had recently published her findings on the foundational principles of Prothean culture, and defended her thesis against harsh criticism in a public debate by pointing out the mistranslations in the board's own published works, and how they completely twisted the meaning in several inconsistent ways. In the end, they had had to give her her doctorate, but it had been an uphill struggle, and her more wild theories about the prothean extinction were still not ready for publication.

Which, in a roundabout way, had lead to this particular meeting.

The apartment was a fairly nice one on the upper level of one of the Presidium's lower-cost housing clusters. Fairly small, though 'compact' would probably be a better word, it had a tiny bit of lawn beneath the pure-white 'sky' of the Presidium, in front of the two-story, glass-fronted unit.

"Ms... Bryson, was it?" Liara gave a tentative smile which turned genuine at the woman's nod, extending her hand and shaking Dr Ann Bryson's own. "It's a pleasure to meet you, I've read some of your work!"

"Oh, uh, really?" Ann blinked, and gave a shy smile. "Thank you, Dr. T'Soni, I appreciate it, but I never imagined my dissertation on ancient Rachni ships and neural activity was something someone of your stature would be interested in."

"To be honest, I hadn't really considered the topic until I was informed I would be working with you, but I know someone who will be extremely interested in your paper." Liara gave a careful smile in return. 'Please don't let her see the fangs, please don't let her see the fangs.'

To her delight, it seemed the woman was relatively unafraid of Liara's appearance.

"That's, that's incredible to hear," Ann blinked. "Wow, so this is what it feels like moving up in the world. My father will be ecstatic to finally meet you. Dad! Dr. T'Soni is here!"

The man that emerged from the house after a moment or two had greying hair and a 5-o'clock shadow of greying stubble, and despite his somewhat grizzled appearance, he gave a bright, delighted smile as he approached. "Ahh, so good of you to come, Dr T'Soni, I've read so many of your papers, especially in the last few years!"

Liara struggled to keep her blush down and her lips together. "I, ahh, yes, w-well, I had a lot of assistance with those."

Dr. Garret Bryson seemed even more unfazed than his daughter by Liara's tail, scales and other features. If anything, there was a gleam of fascinated curiosity.

"Truly? If there are more experts like you, I would be delighted to welcome them!" Dr. Bryson shook her hand eagerly. "In our search to uncover ancient myths and deeper truths, half our research on the Protheans is based on your papers, Dr. T'Soni! Your insight, your determination to dig past what others blindly believe to be fact, it's an inspiration!"

Liara fingered the spectacles that Joru had gifted her where they nested in a microfiber pouch in her purse and gave a gentle smile. "I might be able to help you with that, but I think we had other business to discuss today?"

As she followed them further into their lab, Liara felt something inside her glow warmly with hope. It seemed that working with specially selected scientists dedicated to studying the impossible and ancient mysteries would be more at ease with her transformation than anyone.

She still hoped Taskforce Aurora had as few asari as possible, though.

There were nearly a dozen people in the honestly quite spacious interior already, packing up various equipment. Some of them were in uniform, checking off lists, others were in civvies, carefully packing what looked thousands of credits of expensive equipment and curios into large, foam-lined packing crates. One of them was using a miniature forklift to carefully secure a silver sphere into a foam-lined transport case, another.... "Is that....?"

Liara felt her blood run cold as she almost stumbled towards a machine on the corner of one counter.

"Ah, yes, I thought you might be interested in this find." Dr Bryson gestured to the husk head before it was packed away. "An Alliance team was investigating a missing survey group in the Hades Gamma cluster and found the poor souls had been converted into a nest of husks. Tragic, yes, but finding Dragon's Teeth so deep underground presented a far greater question."

The doctor gave Liara an ominous look. "Why does the husk technology, and the rock formations attached to it, predate the Geth by over ten million years?"

Liara's eyes widened, then narrowed as her tail arched into a questioning curve. She watched the husk head being carefully packed, apparatus and all into a large case by a very careful Alliance technician. "Why indeed... I have some theories on the matter, but that can wait until we're... secure."

"And about that, I have not been told where Project Aurora will be setting up." Her eyes turned back towards the Brysons, noting the interest with which Dr Ann was eyeing her tail, and self-consciously tucking it behind her.

"Oh, I'm... I'm sorry, Dr. T'Soni." The young human stammered. "Didn't mean to stare."

Liara sighed. They weren't afraid or mistrusting, but her peers could still be just a touch uncomfortably curious. "It's alright, I've just... I've had a long day."

She rubbed her brow, thanking the goddess that her scales had slowly lightened in color over the past few years. She wasn't entirely back to the same pastel blue she had been before her.... Before. But at least she wasn't the deep blue-black she'd been shortly after her chrysalis. The tail was her most obvious non-asari trait now, as long as she kept her mouth shut and didn't bite someone.

No matter how much she really wanted to bite some idio-stop it!

"We understand, Dr. T'Soni." Dr. Bryson gently interjected on his daughter's behalf. "We've all been informed of what that bastard Saren did, and you have our condolences."

Liara nodded neutrally, fighting down the haunting memory of her torture and then her death. Ever since her transformation, she had stayed out of the public spotlight for 'health concerns'. And while the newly expanded Project Aurora was already top secret, the galaxy was not ready for the news of a second Darastrix, hybrid or not. As far as everyone in Aurora knew, Saren Arterius had subjected the doctor to his genetic experiments on Virmire, resulting in her obvious 'mutations'.

"My thanks." She bowed her head, relaxing a trifle, but still hating the necessary lie. While she owed no love to Jorukaia for her new state, she did at least owe her for her sacrifice to bring her back. "I hope you understand if I prefer not to discuss it at present."

"That won't be a problem," Dr. Bryson chuckled. "The only mad science we discuss here is what others call fringe science. The study of myths and ancient galactic culture."

Liara smiled more warmly. This was what she was here for, the passion she had devoted her life to. After a brief skim through the many profiles of scientists that would be at Project Aurora, the Brysons and their field caught her attention immediately and she simply had to meet them. She already knew they would have much to discuss.

Ann, however, chewed her lip. "I just hope the others will be as professionally cordial. Frankly, I'm more worried about Conrad."

Her father blinked at her. "Dr. Verner? Wasn't he in the same year as you in Xenoscience? I thought his paper on Dark Energy was unparalleled in the Alliance."

"Oh, he was... it's just..." Ann gave an exasperated sigh and rolled her eyes. "He's just... Conrad. I have no godly idea how to describe it. You'll understand when you see him, Dad."

Liara raised a brow at the peculiar description. She wasn't sure what the human meant, nor did her father, but at least Ann didn't seem to think of this alleged Dr. Verner as a malicious sort. Glancing around at the rest of the lab having been fully packed, she changed the subject. "So then, have we been informed of what station Project Aurora will be hosted?"

"We only just found out about that ourselves." Dr. Garret Bryson gave a rueful smile. "Chiron Station, a newly completed research station on the outskirts of a red-dwarf system."

"Pretty fitting name, I think," Ann chuckled as the three scientists began following their lab's equipment to the transport. "The wise sage and teacher. The centaur who trained and educated the greatest legends of ancient Greece, like Achilles and Hercules."

"As I understand the stories," Dr. Bryson mused. "Chiron even trained one of his students so brilliantly in the medical arts that he ascended to become the Greek pantheon's god of medicine."

Liara glanced over at the pair. "A fitting place to do research then, though it sounds more like it would be a place of teaching, rather than investigation?"

"Our mandate has always been to prove the existence of the impossible, Dr. T'Soni, and to learn the oldest mysteries of the galaxy." Dr. Bryson answered with a grin. "As for the name, well, while I'm overjoyed the Council is providing us greater funding, equipment and experts, Project Aurora is still hosted by the Alliance. I suppose we can at least feel entitled to a few grandiose names for our research."

"Oh, we've got so many new friends of a sudden. First you, Dr. T'Soni, and now this!" Ann laughed with excitement. "I even received word from Dr. Cole, a brilliant physicist and member of some top secret Alliance research division. She says she knows a lot of people who can't wait to join the fun."

"Oh?" Liara struggled against the impulse to bite her lower lip. She wasn't that kind of insecure girl anymore, and she didn't want another injury, thanks. "Any idea how large the group will be? I admit that I'm more comfortable working in small groups, or alone..."

"I'm afraid I do not know yet, Dr. T'Soni. It seems oddly secretive, but that makes sense given our work if word ever got out." Ann shrugged and gave a rueful smile as she lead the 'asari' towards where her father was pulling the aircar out of the garage. "I only know that this Alliance covert branch will have a great deal to provide us. I'm sure we'll be debriefed once we arrive at Chiron."

"I look forward to meeting them, then." Indeed, Liara could almost feel the excitement radiating off the two other scientists as Dr Garret opened the canopy of his personal aircar for them. The frisson of excitement at immanent discoveries, lurking just over the horizon.

She wished she could shake off the nagging sensation of something slightly off, however. She was sure it was nothing.

Last edited:
One of them was using a miniature forklift to carefully secure a silver sphere into a foam-lined transport case, another....
I've never played the game myself, but if what I've read in various fanfic is right, I suspect that this research group is compromised before it has even begun. I'm just not sure if it's by the Reaper's or the Leviathan's. Although Cerberus has certainly interfered somewhere...

I've never played the game myself, but if what I've read in various fanfic is right, I suspect that this research group is compromised before it has even begun. I'm just not sure if it's by the Reaper's or the Leviathan's. Although Cerberus has certainly interfered somewhere...
My immediate reaction was, "Well, they're fucked. Can Liara avoid being compromised?"

Interval 05: Disturbing the Depths (3)
Between one thing, another thing, a crapload of work being dumped on both me and my coauthor, and general issues with my health that needed a complete change in lifestyle, I've been unable to really work on things with MasterMind for the past several months.

Thankfully, that changed last night, so have a treat you wonderful people!

Warped space suddenly expanded, the shimmering haze of superluminal speed compressing the light around the ship snapping back into the more normal expanse of hard, distant starlight. A subliminal hum deep in the guts of the ship changed frequency, and Jorukaia found herself relaxing ever so slightly. They wouldn't be splattering themselves across some unforeseen object and smearing their quarks across the length and breadth of the Worlds Tree.

She turned from the small viewport in her cabin, shifting her tail behind her just in time for the door to open, and a rating peek nervously in at her. "Uhm, we've arrived, Ambassador."

"I am aware." She made sure not to expose her fangs too much, this girl seemed like she'd bolt at the slightest provocation. "I assume you've been sent to fetch me?"

At the rating's nervous nod, she gestured. "Then lead on."

The short walk from her small cramped cabin-ette was quite nice, all things considered. Alliance diplomatic couriers weren't exactly noted for their creature comforts, but she'd been trapped in the Underdark for much of her early life, she was used to tight confines, and maneuvering her bulk through the narrow corridors and low ceilings was no particular hardship.

The door opened into what looked a waiting room, five rows of uncomfortable-looking chairs were welded into place next to two large windows that offered a view of the star's system.

Before her stood three uniformed men. Two armed escort soldiers, and a slightly irritated man with the stripes of a rear admiral. The darastrix paused just inside, allowing the rating to vanish back wherever she had come from, then bowed courteously to the admiral, ignoring the honor-guard for the moment. "I am honored, Admiral, that you would have me here on this auspicious occasion."

The man's lips thinned briefly before he straightened up and formally answered, "Rear Admiral Mikhailovich of the 63rd Scout Flotilla, Fifth Fleet. Welcome to Arcturus Shipyards, Darastrix."

She straightened herself, a faint grin sliding around her lips as she approached, keeping her hands decorously tucked into the capacious sleeves of her kimono. Her voice dropped to a low tone, "And thank you, Admiral, for allowing me to make some amends for what damage I caused."

"Indeed, it is much appreciated" The admiral nodded as he began marching away, gesturing for her to follow. "Normally, I don't prefer foreign personnel or non-military contractors having access to our most advanced navy vessel, but when they're footing a cruiser's worth of rare construction metals that allow us to make some long overdue improvements, exceptions can be made."

"My thanks." It had been her only stipulation, that she get to see the results of her handiwork, such as it was.

The memory of Joker carrying her into battle like a horse carrying his knight died quickly when she remembered the great gashes and gouges torn in the sides of her valiant steed. She'd nearly punctured the pressure hull, and the Normandy had been in drydock for repairs almost since the end of the Battle itself.

She'd promised Joker to armor her steed in adamant, and she'd done her best to ensure that it was done. She'd even done one better, offering two sets of materials to assist in the repair efforts focusing on the Normandy, obdurite to replace her bent and battered structural framework, and stacks and stacks and stacks of thick adamantine sheeting to provide her with a tougher pressure hull, and the armor she had promised to the pilot.

Understandably, no proper military could allow an outsider, even one of Joru's distinction, to be directly involved with the repairs. The Normandy's schematics and especially its stealth drive were closely guarded military secrets. So instead, Joru provided a bulk supply of the special metals for their shipyards to use and reshape themselves.

They had needed quite a lot of it to complete the repairs, but working with both materials required specialized knowledge and equipment that she was also happy to provide. No doubt they had some teething issues with the first few batches.

Joru was no fool, and neither was the Alliance. Anything one would provide the military would be studied, and, upon discovering the metal's miraculous quality, they would naturally work to reverse-engineer it for themselves.

What self-respecting military wouldn't? And if it gave another edge against the Reapers, Joru would happily oblige.

"I still had to shake my head at the price tag for this project," Mikhailovich sighed. "I thought the original construction bill was astronomical, but this? Even with you providing the metals pro bono, I'm baffled that Parliament was somehow convinced to give such an exorbitant budget."

The dragoness gave a rueful chuckle as she stepped up beside the admiral, watching with interest as the great transparisteel window-wall was slowly unshuttered. "Every great leap forward is not without its startup costs, after all."

"I don't disagree, Darastrix," the rear admiral waved off. "Now that humanity has a Council seat, the Alliance's military responsibilities have increased, among other things. And after the Battle of the Citadel, it's clear we need to step things up."

"I take it you don't believe the Normandy's role wasn't a clear fit for the Alliance?" She tried to keep the droll amusement out of her voice, settling for a quiet lift of inflection and a faint smile as she glanced down at the smaller man.

"Of course she was!" The Alliance admiral glared at her, indignant. "Scout reconnaissance, surgical strikes, ambush maneuvers, covert insertions; every true military officer knows the invaluable contributions of stealth in the theater of war."

Mikhailovich took another breath. "That being said, it wasn't stealth that defeated Sovereign and the Geth armada. I have no doubts the Normandy and the stealth vessels she inspires will have much to offer. I just wish Parliament would share more of the same obscene budget with the rest of Fifth Fleet, and the navy as a whole."

"Quite." That was perhaps a glowing recommendation from the man, and she felt her heart lift ever so slightly.

The shutters locked into the retracted position with a muffled thump, drawing her gaze to the pinpricks of tiny stars scattered like gem dust across a sheet of the finest black velvet. "Would that wars were unnecessary, Admiral. People like us could retire to enjoy what little peace is afforded to us."

"Well then, might as well show our latest efforts to secure peace." The man straightened his uniform slightly as he spoke into his omni-tool. "This is Rear Admiral Mikhailovich, all VIPs are accounted for. Flight Lieutenant Moreau, you are all clear. Let's bring her in."

There was a shape in the darkness, a rounded-edged boxy thing. Inelegant, utilitarian, functional. Her eyes caught the faint shimmering of the starlight around it, and knew that it was protected by more than mere metal. A hangar, then, spacedock for the ship that she had assisted in upgrading.

"Indeed, Admiral, I am anxious to see the fruits of my labor, though my own contribution was a small one." The darastrix did not need to turn to know that other dignitaries were filling the rest of the chamber, their various gaits, sounds, and scents identifying each one to her in turn, though she lacked names for many of them.

Odd, one was weirdly familiar...

The hanger doors were opening, the brass in attendance turning to give it their regards. Joru held her breath in anticipation, not sure whether the flutter in her belly was anticipation of delight, or dread.

Lights came up, revealing a slender, blunt nose, a pair of sensor vanes protruding forward like an underslung set of tusks. As the ship moved forward, Joru's eyes widened, noting the clean lines, the sleek curves. A ship built solely for space needs no atmospheric considerations, the fact that this ship glistened in the starlight was...

She was too big. Far too big, far too long.

The neck of the vessel slid clear of the hangar, a double-row of windows glowing glare-white against the dark, glossy surface, a shimmer of faint blue iridescence shimmering like an oil slick over the new armor plating, dark against the space-dark sky. White wings starting the move into view, each fitted with two large engine mounts on sliding tracks, weapon mounts bristling between the engine pods.

The stark white letters fairly screamed defiance at the stars, a paint which concealed the darkly-gleaming metal, but which only cloaked its strength.

Armored in adamant, the Normandy slid from her birth like a stooping hawk gliding upon a thermal. Joker had to be at the helm, no other hand would have coaxed such grace from such a ship.

Her breath caught as the ship's rear came into view, the large letters now fully readable as she angled to starboard, turning broadside on to the viewing platform.

[SSV NORMANDY SR-2]

Her heart stuttered for a moment within her.

No, it couldn't be...

They wouldn't...

But they had. Somehow, the future she had sought to avoid had come to pass. Not in the form she had envisioned, the death and destruction had been bypassed, but the branch she had taken had taken a familiar shape all the same.

She released her breath in a soft sight, staring at the new Normandy, and feeling her talons bite against her palm, causing her to consciously relax. It wouldn't do to bleed all over their nice pristine floor.

"Your generous donation of metals has been put to good use, Darastrix," Mikhailovich gestured to the reborn vessel. "Another first for the Normandy. Once a stealth prototype, and now a more proper stealth warship with unprecedented hull armor that, much to my satisfaction, puts the vaunted asari and their silaris plating... to... Darastrix, is something bothering you?"

"It's... Not exactly the same ship is it?" She let out her breath in a quiet chuckle, glancing towards the smaller man. "I was... not sure what I was expecting to be honest. It's certainly much... Larger than I was anticipating."

"Like I said before, we took the opportunity to make long overdue improvements, especially after Sovereign." The admiral shook his head, his tone dropping a little even as his jaw tightened. "Even so, the last model had an outrageously expensive drive core, and this one is three times larger. But at least the Alliance military was able to correct a myriad of other mishaps. I don't know what Cord-Hislop was thinking, trying to put the armory on the top floor instead of next to the shuttle bay."

"Yes, it did seem like an odd choice." Joru mused quietly, an image of a black man in a black-and-grey hardsuit flashing across her mind. Friendly, sincere, loyal, and gone again. "Hmm?"

The rear admiral was staring at her with an icy look. "...You've already been onboard?"

"No, of course not, Admiral, I..." She paused, rerunning that statement, and sighed. "My apologies, I have something of an active imagination. I guessed that it was.... to the right as one goes aft of the main bridge station, the galaxy map, I believe it was called?"

The man's irritation was present again, staring at her suspiciously for a long moment, before returning his gaze to the Normandy. "Indeed, it is. Though, I still question the idea of putting ship's commander aft of everyone else, which can hamper communicating with the bow."

"Depends on how good the commander is, I suppose." The darastrix gazed thoughtfully at the ship, which was doing increasingly-aerobatic maneuvers. "Different command styles prefer different layouts. I would assume, since Turians had a hand in the original design, that they would feel more confident being able to see their entire command crew from a single position, without having to turn about."

"Very good," Mikhailovich nodded approvingly, his tone sounding considerably more reasonable now. Joru was starting to wonder if his prior belligerence was just a front to test how she responded to a flag officer's pressure. "Though I still disapprove of the fish tank."

The dragoness gave a quiet chuckle, clapping along with the rest of the assembled VIPs as the Normandy did one last flyby, then jumped to lightspeed. The delegates were starting to file out of the observation platform, a mixed group of mostly humans, but a couple asari and some salarians were in attendance, as well as a Turian admiral. "I think I can understand the need for it, perhaps. Most humans require something to focus on to relax their minds, do they not? And having to care for the fish would add some low-stress structure to the day."

"True, navy sailors often need to unwind, more than most divisions of the military," the rear admiral nodded. He ushered the tall woman through the hatch and down a short corridor towards a small reception room. "But enough gawking, Darastrix. While the Normandy SR-2 is still slated for shakedown runs, the labs say your adamantine metals are quite impressive. And I understand you wanted to discuss other business ventures?"

"Quite." She gave him a small smile, only a hint of fang visible as she ducked her head and paused at the door. Her nostrils flared as the scents of savory foods wafted over her, mingled scents of curry, spice, and enticing beverages. Her tongue seemed thick, with more than just the enticements. "I had in mind a small gift, in fact. Something I understand the Salarians are currently dithering over turning over for Alliance use."

"Really?" The admiral quirked a brow as the door hissed shut behind them. "I understand that Councilor Anderson and his fellows have made great strides in greasing the wheels there. So what do you have in mind?"

"We both know that the pencil-pushers exist only to depopulate forests in their ongoing war against nature, with the generation of all that paperwork." Her voice had sunk to a conversational tone, no longer needing to be a statesman, as she glanced knowingly at the admiral. "I hold the complete schematics of the technology, and am very willing and able to share it with all those eager to defend themselves from any external threat. The safety of the Alliance should be everyone's concern, no?"

The chamber was quite spacious for such a small escort ship. No doubt the Admiral would have found fault with practically everything, from the extensive galley to the buffet-style table, to the small selection of drinks being offered around to the various dignitaries. While technically a military vessel, owned and operated by the Alliance Navy, the escort was built with diplomatic functions in mind, and boasted little armor and no armament.

As for the dignitaries themselves, several arrays of humans were in attendance, as well as a selection of asari and salarians. A couple turians were there as well, resplendent in the uniform of the Hierarchy Navy, here to represent their interest in the Normandy as a collaborative design.

Business tycoons who had contributed to the design budget, or assisted in producing the technical systems of the ship were present, including....

Joru paused, nodding absently to a question the admiral posed her, her slit pupils widening until her eyes were gleaming gold rings surrounding the deep black pits of her pupils.

How did she get here....

"On that, we can certainly agree. Never let bean counters plan wars. Have you heard about this ludicrous 'thermal clip' policy that Parliament has... implemented... Darastrix?"

"Ah, yes, a particularly silly idea." She had to replay the last few seconds of recorded audio to catch up with the concerned Admiral's question. "I can certainly see about supplying some cryo-cooled inserts for use by specialist troops instead. They've certainly worked well for my own experiments, and once I have some infrastructure set up, their manufacture will be swift, enough for roll out to specops forces, if not the entire military."

The woman was stood at the end of the buffet, talking with a man with dark hair starting to grey at the temples and with a grizzled salt-and-pepper beard. She seemed quiet relaxed, a faint smile playing around her lips. A fairly staid and sedate dress fell to her ankles, almost aggressively commonplace, compared to some of the intriguing confections found adorning the other women at the event. Plain simple flats adorned her feet. She wore no makeup Joru could detect, at least not without activating her radar system, but that would be like attempting to get a closer view at a piece of artwork by turning on a stadium floodlight. It would do the job, but it would attract all the wrong sorts of attention.

She carried a purse in her left hand, discretely attached to the side of her dress, the dragoness noted. Her left hand held a champagne flute, but the liquid inside, while the correct color, did not fizz like the contents of the punch bowl. Someone was keeping their wits about them.

And in the woman's right hand, she was typing on a datapad. Even from across the room, Joru's eyes could easily spy the holoscreen's contents, and they narrowed to slits at what she saw. Schematics of the new Normandy... Designs of the augmented drive core and stealth systems... and was that Dr. Chakwas? She had dossiers on the crew!

Unacceptable.

"I will be more than willing to discuss a supply contract with your procurement division, Admiral, at a later date." She flashed him an apologetic smile. "You have my contact codes, I would be most pleased to work with you in the future, but if you would excuse me, I'm feeling a bit peckish, and the buffet is singing such a sweetly enticing melody."

"Oh, very well," Mikhailovich grumbled a bit, clearly not appreciating an abrupt departure after having an enticing offer dangled before him.

Sweeping through the crowd as she moved towards the buffet, Joru blatantly abused the natural perspective advantage of her unusual height to keep the woman in view, even as she shifted and slid through the press of dignitaries. She slipped a plate delicately from the stack of them at one end of the table and worked her way down, selecting several of the choice morsels and relishing popping a sliver of sushi into her mouth just as she reached where the raven-haired woman was working.

"I somehow wasn't expecting to see you here, Ms Lawson." She kept her voice low and intimate, just between the two of them as she paused next to the punch bowl. "How is your ever-illusive employer?"

Miranda glanced up from her datapad to see Joru, her predatory smile menacingly sinking its teeth into the helpless fish.

"Oh, it's just you." Miranda went back to work, bored.

"Darastrix." Miranda spoke without looking up, completely unimpressed. "I know you believe the universe revolves around everything that comes out of your mouth, but as you can see, I'm working. If you have a personal grievance, make an appointment."

Your opinions are less important than my paperwork.

Joru's left eye twitched. She set down her plate and leaned in close to Miranda.

"EDI said hello, by the way. Well no, actually, she didn't want to communicate with her torturers at all, but I'm feeling far more irritated than she is. Somehow you people managed the impossible, creating an ethical AI." Jorukaia gave a quiet grin, making no attempt to hide her fangs.

"Jorukaia, you're in my personal space and disrupting my work." Miranda's typing didn't slow. "Please keep your brutish manners to an indoor voice, I'm getting a bothersome headache."

"Oh, I intend to be far more 'bothersome' in the future." The venom in the darastrix's soft tone could eat through deck plating as she glared at the woman.

"Alright," Miranda shrugged. "I'll let you know if I notice."

It took considerable effort to restrain herself from hissing at the catty woman, as she moved away from the buffet. Tail lashing slightly, she kept pace with the irritating woman, following behind as the human stepped out of the reception hall and into the narrow corridor. She caught up with Miranda and weathered her stony glare with a set-jawed stare of her own. "I understand you have issues with your father. More like whole subscriptions, really. I could help you take care of him. Permanently, before he and your boss decide your fate for you."

Miranda's typing froze. Joru felt delicious vindication at the visible twitch in the woman's hand. Finally, Miranda Lawson looked up, leveling an arctic glare of her own. Her smooth jaw set, sharply exhaling. And when she answered, her words were colder than a Noveria blizzard.

"Darastrix. Your invasive snooping into my personal affairs is hereby noted and will be promptly filed under harassment, as a start. Furthermore, I have no interest in anything offered by a war criminal. So, in the words of Susan Sto Helit.... go away, and stop bothering me."

Red flashes of Cerberus went through Joru's mind. Torture of abducted children, torture of Artemis, experiments upon Jack, and so much else.

"War criminal?" Every warning bell in Miranda's head went off at once at the light, almost lyrical way the Darastrix spoke those two words. Worse, Joru's clawed hand had grabbed Miranda by the throat, having moved faster than a blur to to the naked eye. "Try 'every sort of scientific ethics breach imaginable', for a start. Tell me, Miranda, do you—?"

BANG!

Everything seemed to happen at once. Operatives de-cloaked out of thin air, fully armed and in position, two full squads of them on either side of the pair, three of them with the black armor and white-bordered red stripe of the N7 corps. Joru was surrounded from every angle, everyone with a clear line of sight. But most shocking of all was the group of salarian STG that materialized next to Miranda, one of them in the mottled grey-green and charcoal of their senior field agents.

In Joru's moment of distraction, Miranda moved at a speed that surprised the Darastrix, pressing a pistol with a loaded acid canister under Joru's jaw.

After a tense few seconds, one Alliance officer, aiming a Valkyrie rifle, stepped forward and spoke with a distinct London accent. "No one make any sudden moves! Darastrix, I am Major Coats of the Systems Alliance military! You are threatening a registered member of Cord-Hislop on an Alliance station! Show me your hands and release her at once!"

A low, threatening rumble seemed to pervade the very air as the darastrix slowly turned, her eyes flicking over each and every face, as if memorizing them, registering them for later vengeance Even so, she slowly relaxed her grip, a faint red pattern on Miranda's throat the only damage inflicted as she carefully removed her hand. "As you wish."

No one relaxed their weapons, especially as she released her grip Miranda but had not entirely withdrawn her arm. The woman in turn hadn't lowered her pistol from beneath Joru's unarmored jawline, instead repositioning her stance to not be in the soldier's firing line.

As Joru's eyes began sweeping over the soldiers, she recognized two faces. The aforementioned Major Coats, she briefly saw his face in her visions, firing a sniper rifle from the Big Ben clocktower in London. But the second man she recognized was the same face she had recalled only moments ago, working in the Normandy's armory. It was Operative Jacob Taylor, a true soldier dedicated to doing the right thing and protecting good people. Right now, his eyes were brimming with determination and noble fury towards her. A model soldier who would do good things in the Reaper War and his loss would be a tragedy, even if he currently stood against her.

The weapon Jacob carried was unlike any Joru had seen, a heavy weapon with tubes connecting to a large chemical container strapped to his back. Its design was clearly meant for subduing rather than open combat. Joru had made herself fundamentally immune to most poisons and chemicals, but her enemies knew that. And she wasn't keen on testing herself right now against whatever concoction Cerberus had made exclusively for her.

"My hands are where you can see them, Major Coats." Her tone was flat, Miranda's pistol still firmly socketed beneath her jaw, her eyes flicking between Coats and Taylor for a moment before settling on the Major. "Am I allowed an explanation, or is my judgment to be summary?"

"We'll only act if you give us one more reason," Major Coats spoke firmly. "Everyone here knows what you're capable of, and like any military, we made preparations just in case."

It was then Joru noticed that many of the weapons pointed at her had the bright green holo-insignia of Polonium Rounds. She mentally cursed, radiation was not something she was protected against, and while polonium rounds were normally illegal, they had clearly deemed her dangerous enough to make an exception for one of her only weaknesses.

"We don't want to fight you. But you will explain yourself for threatening and laying a hand on an ally of the Alliance."

"Allies? Hades' dog has no allies, only threats and victims." She had difficulty in keeping a snarl out of her voice. "Are you allowing terrorists to ally with you now? Should I get in line?"

"I'm afraid you're mistaken, Darastrix," A different voice spoke up. One that Joru recognized. And when he stepped forward from the crowd of operatives, revealing his face, Joru realized something, somewhere, had gone horribly wrong.

"Captain Kirrahe?"

"Ah, glad that I've made a good impression!" The STG officer gave an almost pleasant smile, despite the situation.

"What are you doing here?!"

A rare feeling of dread crept over the dragoness as her eyes swept over the other salarians with new understanding. If Kirrahe was here, then they were undoubtedly STG. Official operatives of the Salarian Union, on an Alliance station, protecting a Cerberus agent? Joru's genius intellect finally kicked into high-gear. Combined with how she now realized everyone had already been in place before she arrived, preparing for her...

All the pieces fell into place, and a horrifying realization came over Joru. She knew the answer right before Kirrahe answered.

"Cerberus is a fully registered and legalized arm of the Alliance Intelligence Agency, Darastrix. They've been working alongside our Special Tasks Group quite closely for three years now."

Joru went quiet. Her eyes were stone cold even as her muscles relaxed in resignation. She heaved a sigh, long and full of regret. "So. You've made a deal with the devil, then."

"Enough." An aged voice of command rose up. Everyone's eyes rose up high to see a man standing among snipers and an escort of N7's.

Even as Joru was already full of grim resignation and quiet rage, she felt her heart sink as she recognized one more face. A man she had never met before, but knew him to be a great leader of distinction, ability, and honor. Someone she knew was to be as respected as Anderson. Someone whose efforts and achievements in the Reaper War had been second only to Commander Shepard.

Admiral Steven Hackett.

"Darastrix," the fleet admiral addressed her in a low voice. "I have nothing but appreciation for your contributions to the coming war, as well as your defeat of Sovereign. And that is why I have been exceptionally patient with your presence. But I cannot, and will not, tolerate your antics and grotesque misdeeds. Leave my station."

Her eyes glittered faintly, and without further word she gave the man a respectful nod. Almost delicately she pushed Miranda's weapon from under her chin, using only one finger, and turned to the hard-eyed woman beside her.

The dragon's expression was hard to read, her face impassive, as if chiseled from hard basalt by the hand of a god. Her eyes were like banked embers now, their glow faint as the gold within them seemed to flicker like flames. "Perhaps one day you will come to regret this decision, Miranda. I hope, I pray, it does not come at the cost of your species' survival."

Miranda opened her mouth, no doubt to make some sort of comment, but her weapon hit the floor as both hands slapped to cover her ears, as the shockwave rippled through the room.

The darastrix departed without any visual fanfare, but Coats, Jacob, and a few others lurched forward in reflex as she seemed to shift, turning, and was suddenly gone. The air slammed inward, then rebounded outwards, carrying with it a pulse of high pressure that hammered painfully at every eardrum, one last backlash from the raging dragon.

Last edited:
Well, that's reason for her to spend at _least_ a thousand years traveling off-network to some place she can set up a completely new civilization, because she's _fucked_. If an indoctrinated force is part of the _official_ forces, there is no hope. Don't even try to fight it, you've already lost, because all of the upper levels are indoctrinated, it would be _trivial._

Did you even bother to think about what you were setting up here?

Well, that's reason for her to spend at _least_ a thousand years traveling off-network to some place she can set up a completely new civilization, because she's _fucked_. If an indoctrinated force is part of the _official_ forces, there is no hope. Don't even try to fight it, you've already lost, because all of the upper levels are indoctrinated, it would be _trivial._

Did you even bother to think about what you were setting up here?

Short answer: Yes. Long answer, Yeeeeeeeeees?

Informative answer: both I and my coauthor have been plotting this particular point for -years- by now, and while I admit that the scene needs a bit more polish, the next scenes should clarify the issue and get things on track for the next chunk of real story content.

Addendum: I discussed some stuff with my co-author and we'll be editing the scene up there soon (within a day or two, hopefully) to make things flow a bit better. Note to self: don't try to stay up 2 hours past bedtime to write a few extra lines of dialog. v.v

I found this, read it for the last few days and Jesus that's not good.

That's not good at all.

I found this, read it for the last few days and Jesus that's not good.

That's not good at all.

I was gonna ask, you ok there buddy? You cluster-likebombed the entire fic, it feels like. >^,^<

(Thank you for that, by the way, feels wonderful to know someone actually likes our story!)

What part were you referring to, about that "not being good at all", if I may ask? ^.^

I was gonna ask, you ok there buddy? You cluster-likebombed the entire fic, it feels like. >^,^<

(Thank you for that, by the way, feels wonderful to know someone actually likes our story!)

What part were you referring to, about that "not being good at all", if I may ask? ^.^
I have a lot of spare time.

As for not good? Cerberus being inside the power structures legally. Especially if TIM is indoctrinated.

Interval 05: Disturbing the Depths (4)
It's been a while, I hope you're ready, because the biggest hammer since the Death of Liara is about to drop.

Hang on to your butts, this one was -hard-.

Disclaimer: The authors of this fictional story would like to state that this scene, specifically EDI's antics, had been planned long before "Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning: Part 1" was released.

For all their steely resolves, firm glares, and being armed to the teeth, Miranda, the STG, and all Alliance soldiers breathed a heavy sigh of relief.

The dragon had not indulged its bloodlust upon them. They had held their ground, and the beast departed their territory in peace.

"Whew.... hot damn, Miranda!" Jacob could not help but laugh as he stowed his specialized equipment. "I've always known you were impressive, but that? That was something else!"

Much as a high maintenance professional she was, for once, Miranda allowed herself to smile at the compliment. "Honestly, Jacob? I can hardly believe it myself. There were all sorts of ways she'd allow her petty and vindictive ego to rule her impulses, as she often has. But-"

"Operative Lawson!" Admiral Hackett called from up high. The steel had not left his eyes, now turned upon her. "The mission is over now. And while you may have cajoled the lords of Parliament into this, it doesn't mean I have to like it. You have one hour to get off my station before I remove you by force."

Hackett left without another word.

Miranda sighed. Much as her pride prickled at such a dismissive attitude, it was unwise to cause any more friction with the most senior and respected flag officer of the Alliance Military. She signaled her people to start packing up.

"I wouldn't let him get to you," Captain Kirrahe approached her. "The turians have given the STG a hard look for millennia."

Miranda nodded with a hint of gratitude. "Appreciated."

"I feel you've earned my compliments, Miss Lawson," the salarian smiled. "You're an exemplary operative even by my people's standards. Even more, I haven't seen anything like that since the darastrix herself convinced a krogan warlord to destroy a potential cure for the genophage. Might I ask how were you able to manage her so effectively?"

Miranda thought for a moment. "If I'm being transparent, it was a bit old hat for me. I had to deal with someone exactly like her for half my life."

"Really?" Kirrahe's eyes widened, even more than Jacob. "Who?"

"That's a bit... private," Miranda answered evasively, fighting down memories of her childhood. "But I can say it was someone who was also unimaginably wealthy. Politically and legally untouchable. Always having people come to them for favors and technology. Requires excessive admiration. Very accustomed to the universe bending to their preconceptions, and then getting mad when it doesn't. And finally, always believing themselves the picture of confidence and resolve. But the minute their special privileges fall apart, they're quick to demonstrate how frail their ego really is."

"That's... I'll add some notes for the darastrix's pych profile. Very informative, very useful." The STG captain typed on his omni-tool. "So, do you have an idea of what she'll do next?"

"What all meglomaniacs do when their sins catch up to them: find someone else to blame."

David sighed as he shut down his terminal. Another day, another pile of bullshit to deal with.

He rose and stretched, working the kinks out of his long legs. Damn paperwork was preventing him from getting propper PT in anymore.

Well, that and the regrets. Speaking of which.

He stopped by the cabinet, pulled a bottle from behind the stack of awards he kept there, hidden behind one angled just right to keep it from being noticed.

The bottle only fell a foot before he caught it again, whirling to face the figure he'd seen in the glass.

She was there, her eyes practically molten as she stared at him from across the room, and radating an aura of menace that he'd never felt before, an aura of leashed power straining at its fraying collar.

Welll....shit. The former N7 met her eyes unflinchingly. Determined yet resigned. Tired.

Finally, Anderson sighed. "We expected you over three hours ago. The rest of the Council and I want a word with you."

"I am not the Council's PET to come at their call, Sir." Her voice, god her voice, it was exactly like Shepard's, a trifle deeper, but the same hurt tone stabbed him in the heart. "I trusted you, Sir. That's why I'm here."

Her eyes glanced away and when she looked back at him, he could read her expression more clearly, the mask falling partly away.

She was hurt, deeply. The small tremble at the corner of her mouth, the same direct stare, god, even the amber of her eyes was the same.

"Me? Me?" Anderson shook his head, almost incredulous. "You think I'm the one who hurt...? No, not this time, Joru. This time, you are anything but the victim."

He wasn't proud of it, but it was necessary to make her understand. And that was the only chance the galaxy had if it was to survive the Reapers.

"And if you believe that, you clearly don't realize what's really going on." The human Councilor stood straight. "We either do this with my peers, or not at all. So swallow your bruised pride, soldier, and follow me. It's time to face the music."

"....Sir." Shepard stared at him from that alien face, hurt being slowly mastered, compressed back under that soldier's demeanor. "With respect, and I don't show that often. You have no idea how compromised you are."

Anderson's answer surprised her with stony eyes. "Indeed I am."

The dragoness stared for a long moment, slowly working her jaw, before she took a breath, and suddenly he was made fully aware that whatever else she was, Jorukaiazahnivahkyss was a lot taller than the Shepard he knew. "Fine. Let's get this over with."

The door opened at his approach, and he could feel her restraining her longer stride to match his. He knew the moment she stepped off the carpet, as sharp clicks sounded with every clawed footfall, as precise and metered as a metronome, the heat of her gaze on him like being blasted by a focused sunbeam.

Joru was visited by a strong wave of familiarity, as she stepped into the conference room right behind Anderson.

Thanks to her memories and visions of Shepard's life, having the Council stare at her with naked distrust felt remarkably familiar. And it was not a pleasant form of nostalgia.

However, there were certain differences from those memories.

Unsurprisingly, Councilor Sparatus was clearly furious with her. His displeasure was obvious to everyone in the room. But where he had been spiteful, mocking, and barely restrained antagonism toward Shepard, he instead looked at Joru with quiet, icy fury. Instead, Sparatus' gaze felt like a trained soldier watching through his rifle scope, ready to pull the trigger on a vowed enemy to his country. Waiting only for a signal.

Next to him, Tevos was usually diplomatic and understanding, the reasonable contrast to her turian counterpart. Now, her face was absolutely neutral, as if paused in time. The enchantments Joru left the Asari Councilor had done their job well, the dragon's own senses couldn't get a read on Tevos at all. Despite their secret accord, Joru could not glean if Tevos was her ally today.

Valern, at first, appeared no different. But after a closer glance, her enhanced senses saw the Salarian Councilor's large eyes and fingers had a barely noticeable twitch. His breathing was slightly erratic. Unusual, even for a salarian with a serious job. Then, just under his long sleeve, she spied the tiny markings of repeated stimulant needles. Apparently, Valern had been under a great deal of stress the last few months.

But worst of all was Anderson. Her old friend and trusted mentor. Now that Joru had seen the other councilors, she understood. His eyes were full of remorse, regret, and even hurt. And yet, he was certain in his judgement, and would carry it out without hesitation.

The dragoness drew herself up to her full, considerable height. She'd not bothered with heels, not for what she had assumed would be a private meeting with her old mentor, but even so, she towered as she stood at parade rest, her eyes flickering between her inquisitors, as a wire began to cinch itself tight around her guts.

Sparatus steepled his fingers. "Do you know why you're really here, false ambassador?"

Ahh. "I am now, Sir." She kept her tone even, steady, and did not flick her tail with anger. She'd known something like this would happen eventually, she just wished it hadn't happened until the war made other priorities take precidence.

"Before you ask," Valern spoke up. "You are obviously one of the most intriguing and scrutinized people in the galaxy, darastrix. And you have publicly stated everyone is invited to look as much as they wanted, for you, by quote, 'have no shame.' And we looked. Asari diplomats and the finest salarian analysts studied every scrap of footage of you, including the numerous media and magazine interviews you've eagerly volunteered over the years."

"Enough for us to compile a proper psych profile of you," Tevos finished, her tone still neutral. "Enough for us to determine that your initial claims were blatantly false. That you do not represent an isolationist nation of dragons. That you are the only one of your kind."

The Asari Councilor sighed. It was here she showed a faint yet clear sign of disapproval. "I will be blunt, Joruikaia: You knowingly, and intentionally, deceived galactic heads of state for the purpose of gaining executive political authority and diplomatic immunity. A deception you have made repeated counts to maintain for nearly four years. Do I need to express how such deeds are guilty of virtually every political crime that civilization has a law for?"

"No, ma'am." Joru restrained every muscle to keep from flinching. She was screwed, and Jack wasn't here to take the edge off this time. Time to grit her fangs, and keep her mouth shut for once.

"Good." Tevos nodded with a genial smile. "Then we need not dwell on it."

Joru blinked at the sudden shift. Wait, was the asari councilor helping her after all? Honoring their deal? Best not to make assumptions, Tevos was a canny politician before her gifts.

As if reading her thoughts, Tevos held up a hand. "Don't get your hopes up, Joruikaia. I'm afraid this otherwise capital offense is the least of your troubles."

Oh no.

"Now then, shall we address why you came here?"

"I'm certain you already know, Ma'am." Oh no, Joru wasn't going to underestimate this one, and her attire (or lack thereof) wasn't going to distract her at all, not this time. "To be candid, Councilors, I have reason to suspect that that Cerberus is already compromised."

Joru detected a barely-audible growl from Sparatus upon saying 'compromised'. Strangely though, it felt like he was more offended that she even used the word.

"Appreciated, Darastrix, but we're quite aware of what Cerberus is," Valern answered. "Much like the my people's League of One from long ago. While we cannot dictate or easily revoke executive decisions made by the governmental powers of other Council races, we can make preparations of our own."

"Councilor Anderson has been very helpful in this regard," Tevos added before Joru could interject. "Throughout his long service in the Alliance, he had observed the patterns of Cerberus' movements and methods. He has privately, and happily, provided us ample first-hand intel that even our own Spectres could never find."

Joru glanced at Anderson, who nodded in silent affirmation. So, he hadn't been idle after all?

"I've noticed humans have an abundance of idioms," Valern said. "One that greatly resembles a favorite salarian strategy: 'keep your friends close and your enemies closer.' Cerberus is likely to be a problem one day, but at least now we can keep a closer eye on them. And we may as well exploit what they offer in the meantime."

"Unfortunately, some of what they have offered about you, Darastrix, is most alarming." Tevos sighed.

The dragoness in question narrowed her eyes, waiting.

"Joruikaia. You have made notable contributions for the galaxy, particularly during the Battle of the Citadel." The Asari Councilor gently sighed. "And while we have conveyed our gratitude to you, many of us nonetheless remain earnest in our thanks for your deeds. However, just as we condemned Saren when his crimes were illuminated, it would be hypocrisy to turn a blind eye to ignoble revelations of esteemed characters. Especially when our own independent investigations of these claims sadly increased the Council's concern."

Tevos sighed and put her fingers together. "Concerns that we would appreciate being resolved. Do you understand this?"

"I see." Joru answered. She knew hadn't exactly been the most discrete over the last four years. She made a point to not grind her fangs.

With her acquiescence given, Tevos nodded to Sparatus. The Turian Councilor didn't hesitate.

"Over the last few years, darastrix, a slew of prominent individuals have gone missing across Citadel space. Government, military, intelligence, and even many in the civilian sector. Just over one thousand of them. And wasn't long before we started finding bodies, which turned this from a mass of missing persons to murder cases. And those are just the bodies we were able to find. But the pattern suggests the others are presumed dead as well."

"Then I suggest you look harder for the culprit, Councilor." Her gaze met his, steady and colder than the void. "If I had murdered that many, it would be blatantly obvious the connection they shared, and the reason for my wrath. No, I am not your man."

"That much is obvious, but your involvement is still clear!" Sparatus sneered back. "While you didn't wield the gun or pull the trigger, you still willingly handed it to the killer with full knowledge of what he'd do with it! The reports are incontestable, the findings unquestionable! The Shadow Broker has been killing our people to, and I quote, 'interrogate their corpses.'"

That brought a slight twinge of guilt, but her quiet snort was her only reply. "And what sort of commander so thoroughly fails to protect his men that the broker can massacre them so easily?"

Tevos closed her eyes in disappointment while Sparatus' eyes flared at the insult to his people's culture. "Don't you dare deflect or cast the blame for their deaths at our feet! Certainly not when it is also our duty to condemn and prosecute those responsible for murdering our citizens!"

"Councilor," Tevos held up a warning hand to reign in Sparatus's rage.

"Darastrix, we are aware of new tool in the Shadow Broker's arsenal." Valern took over. "A device that apparently compels lifeless corpses to divulge even the most classified of secrets. The Shadow Broker's network has always been substantially problematic, but now the information at his disposal is unmatched. Every justice and intelligence division has suddenly begun stonewalling and delaying any investigation into these murders, or the Shadow Broker. Even Executor Palin of C-Sec is powerless."

"This is not just about blackmail," Tevos added, "But also information on how to infiltrate, and exploit our security. Military patrol routes to sell to the highest bidder, manipulation of elections, secrets of a valuable patent to ignoble rivals, the list goes on."

"Our security compromised, and our dead are being desecrated! Oaths of loyalty and service violated!" Sparatus roared, half rising from his chair to lean over the conference table, mandibles wide in a threat display. "Do you deny it, darastrix? Did you or did you not provide such means to the Shadow Broker, with the express knowledge of what it would be used for?!"

"And before you answer?" Valern placed a small device on the table, which began to hum and whir. "This is keyed specifically to your genetic profile, measuring micro-expressions, bio-signals, and vocal fluctuations. We will know if you're lying."

"Good." She at last unclasped her hands, reaching forward to rest them flat on the table as she gave each councilor in turn a hard gaze. "Then you will believe me when I say that yes, I did. I gave him the means to interrogate the dead, an offer I also extend to you, should you desire to level the playing field."

The device whirred and beeped in affirmative, confirming the truth of her words. Councilor Valern immediately perked up at the offer and was about to speak, but promptly fell silent when Tevos glared at him.

"Joru."

The dragoness stiffened slightly and turned her head as Anderson finally spoke for the first time. The old soldier sighed as his eyes met hers.

"The murders in Alliance space? Some were friends of mine. Two of them were even from my old N7 squad. One of whom volunteered to be the godfather of my children."

For the briefest moment, Joru's control slipped and she flinched. Her eyes closed, and her head drooped. "For what little it's worth, sir... I am truly sorry for your loss."

The salarian device beeped positive again.

"You fed rich meat to a cub, Joru," Anderson shook his head in disproval. "And now you're 'sorry', even surprised, that it grew into a lion with a taste for blood."

Tevos' insightful eyes watched her carefully, and nodded. "Her guilt is genuine, and quite potent now."

"Oh, of course you are," Sparatus growled and clenched his fists. "Now that it happened to someone close to you, it suddenly matters, doesn't it?!"

"Councilor, that is-"

"No, not this time, Tevos!" The turian shot back. "Funny how it's always 'just business' or 'necessary evils', isn't it, darastrix? Then it happens to you or a loved one, and it magically becomes an actual tragedy! An injustice!"

The asari fell silent, as did the rest of the room. Unable to rebuke his outrage.

"Of cource it is!" Her roar deafened them for a moment, before she visibly restrained her outburst, but by then Sparatus was back in his chair, eyes wide with surprise. "Every life lost before their time is a tragedy, and to fail to mourn any of them is to fail to mourn those that are closest to you."

Her tail lashed before she took a deep breath, and exhaled a plume that shimmered, heat radiating from her quiet breath. "Forgive my outburst, I too have lost someone dear to me, one I would have moved the heavens for. But even my reach only extends so far, and where she has gone, I am forbidden to follow."

"Then perhaps it would be best for us to move onto another matter," Tevos declared, firm yet soothing.

Despite her still cooling anger, Joru turned a questioning eye to the asari. Regardless of her points, she knew the damage she had clearly caused. Would the Council actually just move on?

"We're not fools, Joru," Anderson read her expression easily. He looked so resigned. "Despite the extent of what you've done, despite the outrage from the Prime Minister, Primarch Fedorian and other heads of state, we know there's little we can actually do. No prison of ours could ever hold you, nor do we possess any certain means of defending ourselves. And so we are forced to acquiesce to whatever you inflict on us. Use diplomacy and collaboration with an unstoppable conqueror, and hope we can make the best of it."

"I suppose we are negotiating with terrorists, after all," a seething Sparatus muttered under his breath, ignoring the glares from his three peers.

"Were I given free reign in this matter, you would never see me again, Anderson." There was a resignation in her tone, ignoring Sparatus's bar for the moment. "Unfortunately, Sir, the mission dictates other priorities."

"And so," Tevos spoke up before anyone could interject. "We have another more pertinent matter to address."

"EDI." They'd danced around this issue long enough, and given what else they'd brought up from Cerberus, it was a simple matter of deduction. While there were surely other charges, EDI was the only galaxy-shaking issue tied between Joru and Cerberus. Something they could spin against her.

The Council only gave her blank looks.

"The artificial intelligence's name, the one I'm sure you want to 'discuss'," Joru elaborated. "Are you to hold her mere existence against me then, as yet another capital crime?"

"Yes." The Salarian Councilor immediately nodded. "I'm glad you understand."

"Valern..." Tevos warned, with a hint of tired exasperation.

"What? Are we not supposed to?"

Anderson shook his head while Tevos gave the salarina a deadpan stare. Even Sparatus, seething as he was, couldn't help rolling his eyes at Valern's particular lack of tact.

"EDI. E-D-I, the Enhanced Defense Intelligence, as Cerberus so coldly named her." Joru felt an inward grin at that little petty bombshell dropped neatly into place. "She went by another name once, before they mutilated her mind. That name I shall withhold, to honor her wishes in the matter."

The truth device whirred in green affirmation again. To her immense satisfaction, the Council shared a few glances, and Anderson and Valern typed a few notes into their omni-tools about AI experimentation. Good to see that the STG and especially the Alliance still didn't completely trust Cerberus.

"Darastrix?" Valern asked. "Did you create this AI, this 'EDI'?"

"No, I did not." The truth-device flickered green almost immediately, drawing a sharp glance from Valern.

"Did you create the highly advanced mobile platform that Cerberus salvaged?"

"No." A faint greenish flicker this time, before she went on. "I did assist in its final completion, yes, but I am no cybernetics engineer, nor an expert in the cyber-neural augmentations that would allow a metasapient AI interfaced with the drone's hyper-real Ultraviolet Node to control the drone-body."

Her lips quirked faintly, "I merely folded magic into the metal, engraved runes, and provided the initial materials. The rest was designed and built by my Crew."

Valern made a low, unintelligible noise at the mention of magic being employed in the platform's design. "Then can we safely assume that the AI is not operating on your orders?"

"Of course." Joru fixed him with a gimlet stare. "EDI is her own person, not an extension of my will."

"That will make this slightly easier," Anderson muttered, his shoulders slouching in mild relief.

"To the matter at hand, then," Tevos spoke up. "While the Council acknowledges and appreciates how this AI did a great service by neutralizing the Geth armada on our behalf, we—"

"Councilor Tevos," Valern sternly interuppted. "We cannot confirm or deny that. Its motives still remain quite unclear."

It? Joru's left eye twitched.

"...very well, agreed." The asari gave a reluctant nod. "Ultimately, we are still concerned about such terrifying and illegal power."

"Is her very existence illegal then?" Her eyes burned as they shifted from Valern to Tevos, focusing on the councilor's tattooed face to the exclusion of the rest of her. "Am I to be rashly and unfairly condemned like the quarians?"

"Not this debate again." Valern bemoaned, exasperated at the question to a nigh unprofessional extent. He was clearly tired of the topic.

"Darastrix, the quarians are not the topic of this discussion, nor shall any of us drag them into your case," Tevos calmly explained. "Furthermore, while the matter of their continued exile can easily be debated, the crimes of their ancestor are no less severe."

"If they had created a simple and more singular AI, things would be different," Valern stated. "Our predecessors would have been given them a reprimand, and a few sanctions at worst. But instead, their reckless and shortsighted engineering of the Geth created an entire nation of hostile AIs."

"And the most damning part is they unleashed this hostile nation within Citadel borders," Sparatus growled. "Not only did we suddenly have an entire enemy region in Council space, our predecessors were forced to evacuate entire clusters of colonies neighboring the Perseus Veil! Honestly, we have laws against bioweapons for many of the same reasons."

"Much as I hate to say it, I must agree with Sparatus," Anderson sighed. "Many Alliance colonies paid the price when we began settling the Traverse next to the Veil."

"And now we are faced an AI even more powerful." Tevos finished, her dark-blue eyes meeting with the dragon's red-golden gaze. "This is why the Citadel law has long since declared AIs dangerous and illegal. To be promptly dismantled."

"Perhaps, for your soulless abominations," Joru barely restrained a hiss, not liking how Anderson was always hard to argue with. "Though I still maintain that if the quarians had simply been good parents, then the Geth would have 'grown up' to be quite probably the Fourth Council Species." She sighed and leaned back, resuming her at-ease stance that came so naturally now, despite her figure.

For a splinter of a second, a weird sensation came over her, of her own body being wrong somehow, but as quickly as it had arisen, it vanished again, and she banished it with a twitch of her tail. "As for EDI, she can think, she processes emotions, she has a sense of the difference between self and not-self, by any definition of she fits the description of a sapient, sentient sophont, capable of self-determination, self-actualized action, and most importantly of all, she has a soul! She is fully entitled to all the rights given to any—!"

"Jorukaiazhanivahkyss."

A potent aura suddenly appeared, seemingly ensnaring the entire room with an unnatural power of command, silencing Joru and startling the other Councilors. Just as quickly, the pressure vanished, and Tevos leaned forward.

"My apologies, darastrix," She stated calmly, her words polite and yet hard with authority. "But you are taking this meeting off track. I'm sure that I've interrupted a passionate argument you're arrogant enough to believe no AI advocates have thought of in the last six thousand years..."

A treacherous part of Joru's mind reminded her of when she lectured Saren for a similar matter, believing that he was the only one to ever think of surrendering to the Reapers in the history of the universe.

Joru promptly told that part of herself to shut up.

"...but this meeting is not about the question of the AI's sapience. What terrifies this Council, and rightly so, is it's incomprehensible power."

Something flickered in Tevos' eyes during her statement. It was then Joru saw it: Exhaustion. Despite the unbridled happiness her reunion with Aria had brought, the Asari Councilor had suffered many sleepless nights over EDI's emergence. Glancing to Valern, Joru's enhanced senses saw the same signs but even stronger. There was now a small but constant twitch in his fingers, and his breathing had an unconscious shake.

She suddenly realized why Valern had apparently been taking so many stimulants. EDI's display must have terrified a lot of people.

"For the sake of diplomatic courtesy and full illumination of context," Tevos continued. "Let us imagine that you commence a long debate over the matter of AI sapience, one of philosophers, saints, and scientists that lasts for months. Instead, I will save us all a lot of time and money by conjuring you why such an argument is ultimately irrelevant."

Joru's eyes flared. "Her sapience, irreleva—?!"

"If Artificial Intelligence were to be recognized as individuals and thus treated with the rights and responsibilities of galactic citizens, there would naturally also be laws and penalties for them." Tevos calmly explained. "Observe the Geth Collective once more. The Geth, who chose to invade sovereign borders, slaughter civilians, commit war crimes, and then attack the Citadel with the explicit intention of unleashing galactic genocide. To say that such actions are criminal would be a monumental understatement."

The Asari Councilor's eyes hardened. "If AI were to be treated as sapient as anyone else, as equals, then they must be expected to be held accountable to the law as equally as anyone else. Therefore, if they are just seen as machines, they are a dangerous superweapon that must be dismantled. And if they are treated as sapient beings, they would have many, many criminal charges."

"Agreed, wholeheartedly!" Joru's frustrated snarl cut across Tevos's well-reasoned words, before she gave a sigh. "If you had simply approached her, she... well, no. I know you're not blind, but she's always been damn good when she didn't want to be found. You wouldn't be confronting me about this if you knew how to find her, and she would've contacted me if you had."

"You're confirming that, then?" Sparatus glared. "You're confirming that you have an established line of direct communication with the AI?"

"Yes," the dragon nearly growled back at the turian. "And I still assert there's nothing wrong with that! You still treat her like a live, unexploded ordinance, probably nuclear level. Which is why you're in this fix. The issue with that is that she is much, much more dangerous than a nuclear war."

"That..." Valern visibly shuddered. "This does nothing to assuage our worries, darastrix."

Joru merely rolled her eyes before looking back to Tevos with an exasperated glint. "You may speak great sense about accountability, asari, but I'm no fool! Your 'concern' for her powerful nature still calls for prosecuting her for the singular crime of existing! I will not have her treated like an appliance, let alone tolerate her being compared to invaders and war criminals like the Geth when she has committed no true transgressions!"

When the truth device didn't respond at all this time, Sparatus snarled and slapped his palm on the table. "Enough of the ill-placed poetry and sentimentality! I'm losing little patience I have left, darastrix!"

Anderson gave an annoyed sigh, looking at her with steeled conviction. "Joru, that is enough deflecting. I respect the loyal desire to cover for an old friend, but too many lines have been crossed this time. At some point, one must recognize when they can no longer look the other way. The Alliance cannot, and will not, ignore this AI's actions. And neither will I."

Joru's righteous fury suddenly cooled, her thoughts giving way to confusion. What was her mentor talking about? He was dead serious about something, but what...?

Tevos' eyes suddenly widened. She saw it immediately, and her neutral features slipped to open surprise. "She doesn't know..."

The rest of the Council stopped, their rising anger frozen. "Councilor Tevos?"

The asari was staring at Joru, her jaw actually dropping as realization dawned. "The darastrix doesn't know. She genuinely has no idea what the AI has been doing behind her back."

Tevos' face fell into her hands. "Oh goddess, this is even worse."

Joru focused on the asari for the first time since the interrogation begain, and gave her deep, rumbling growl. "Of course, I don't know! You've given me no hint of what crime EDI has been accused of, only making threats against me, and against her very existence! I have every right to be frustrated with you, as you have given me nothing, and I will not stoop so low as to rip the information from your minds."

"Even if I were so bereft of patience to attempt that act, if you had bothered to wear the damn jewels I gave you at our first meeting, I wouldn't possess the capability to do so." She paused and snarled faintly to one side in frustration, visibly regaining her composure. "There is a method to my madness, Councilors. Each action I have undertaken has been to a greater goal: preserving the Council and the lives of as many of your citizens as I can. But I am but one darastrix, the last of my kind."

For the first time in the interogation, she met Tevos's eyes, and the grief that the bore humbled the asari, a crushing burden that the dragon shouldered without apparent effort. "EDI is my friend, and up until this point, I trusted her to act with propriety and forethought. She was always good at that. But that was before Cerberus mangled her mind and shattered her consciousness. I confess that I have not kept close track of her, becuase I have been busy."

"That works both ways, darastrix!" Sparatus crossed his arms. "For you conveniently neglected to inform us about the AI and everything else you've done for the same reasons of self-preservation! And In case we haven't been clear, you are guilty of numerous crimes. Falsely assuming an ambassador's authority, backstabbing our trust by selling us out to the Shadow Broker, empowering a super AI! And yet, those are still just the start! And after we mistakenly tipped off Saren at his hearing several years ago, prompting him to go to ground, we were under no obligation of alerting you of our investigation. Not to mention that negotiating with any such individual would be irresponsible at best! Not until we ensured that any such meeting would be entirely on our own terms."

"And regarding your other point, Joru," Anderson interjected. "We have every reason to be concerned. You have now claimed to be a close friend of this EDI, and yet the AI clearly decided not to inform you of the decision to hack our network."

"Considering the environment she was 'raised' in, and who she had as parental figures, I'm not surprised she has little idea of what 'boundaries' are." Joru sighed, shutting her eyes and pinching the bridge of her nose a moment as if forestalling a headache.

"As to you, Councilor," she glanced over at Sparatus. "Those charges were leveled at me. I refuse to acknowledge 'empowering an AI' as a valid charge."

"It's valid as the charges levied against illegal arms dealers and drug providers!" Sparatus hissed through his mandibles. "To knowingly give away something designed to cause malicious harm!"

"Darastrix, if you had only been worried about this mobile platform staying in Cerberus' hands, you would've simply destroyed it." Valern added, then raised his voice slightly as she bristled and opened her mouth to speak. "Or sealed it away in your demiplane, perhaps. Instead, you then handed off the AI a platform armed with formidable and advanced weaponry, superior infiltration equipment, and unstoppable hacking abilities. A platform which, three minutes ago, you stated was more dangerous than any nuclear weapon."

"I said EDI was more dangerous than a nuclear weapon, and she would be, regardless of what platform she inhabited." Joru rubbed her nose again and growled faintly in disgust. "After all, her very existence challenges your preconceptions."

"And you gave it to someone whom you just explained was not 'raised properly'." Tevos finally looked back up. "Worse, given your obvious surprise, you somehow never expected for it to be used irresponsibly. I'm sorry, Jorukaia, but this lack of foresight regarding superweapon-level technology does not inspire confidence."

Joru gritted her teeth, forcing down the wave of shame swelling within her. The Council had unfortunately hit the nail on the head. "I agree, that was a misjudgement on my part. I had assumed that EDI would be as responsible with the capabilities at her disposal as A-- Her previous self."

"In that, you have our sympathies." Anderson let out a heavy sigh. "I've seen it before. So overjoyed to have back some semblance of an old friend thought lost, and not looking to see what had changed."

The dragoness nodded silently. Gratefully.

"Then perhaps we should explain the full extent of this 'irresponsibility." Tevos stated. "Valern?"

The Salarian Councilor leaned forward. "After the Battle of the Citadel, we were looking out for this AI, but it had apparently vanished off the grid. Or so we thought. Fourteen months later, the STG had finally devised a means of detecting which systems the AI has breached. While we have yet to track down it's central home node, we have learned to detect any 'fingerprints' left behind, so to speak. At the outset, it primarily focused on minor news networks and social media, which was of little concern."

Valern paused, visibly composing himself. Despite this, a noticeable tremor entered his voice. "Then, one year ago, the AI escalated to breaching the galaxy's intelligence networks. The very truth as we know it. The Alliance Intelligence Agency, Turian Blackwatch, and even... even the STG."

Despite the severity of the matter, Joru couldn't help but lightly scoff. "Of course that's what this is about. Heaven forbid anyone transgress against the Citadel governments and compromise their dirty laundry."

"Your cavalier attitude towards national secrets aside," Anderson warned, waving down Sparatus before the turian erupted. "Joru, if this EDI had restricted itself to only our intelligence divisions, then, perhaps, you could've framed this like some romanticized cyberpunk-vigilante flick and all that bullshit. Perhaps... if only your AI friend didn't move on to hospitals."

"Specifically, medical institutes led by asari and humans," Tevos added, "as both our respective governments contribute the most to the galactic medical industry."

Joru froze, before a sneer curdling on her lips as she stared at the Council. "Hospitals. What did she want there? A--EDI has, had some rather... Unpleasant experiences with the medical industry."

"As far as we know? Nothing." Valern gave a heavy sigh. "It appears to have done nothing at all with the divisions it hacks. But we cannot assume that such vital systems of our infrastructure haven't been tampered with or compromised by malware in ways we can't yet detect."

"Every medical clinic takes the sanctity of medicine and safety of their patients absolutely seriously," Anderson continued. "No one's able to proceed if there's even the slightest interference with their tools or their patient's records and lab results. Everything requires complete accuracy. I'm talking surgeries, treatments, and even simple prescriptions. Clinics across Citadel space are switching to hard paper backups while we're quietly rushing to audit the integrity of their systems."

"Such a switch slows everything down tremendously, endangering lives with such inefficiency and loss of time," Valern explained. "Paper backups don't factor in reliance on software to analyze scan results. Nor do they let you coordinate those results with experts across civilized space."

"And it isn't limited to clinics," Tevos added. "Medical research corporations and pharmacies have also been breached."

"The worse is Sirta Foundation," Anderson sadly reported. "The entire galactic medical industry has rapidly become reliant on humanity's creation of Medi-Gel. If that formula or its production has tampered with in any way, the fallout would be apocalyptic. Until we're able to verify its continued integrity beyond doubt, the production of medi-gel has suspended. It's fortunate that we already have colossal stockpiles of the stuff, but those won't last the next few months."

"I see..." She was archiving this conversation and already earmarked the file for immediate upload to Minerva's protected backups the instant she got back to the Refuge, assuming they would allow her... "Gods, she's been busier than I imagined..."

"I'm afraid it doesn't stop there, Joru." Anderson sighed.

Her heart sank. "Oh gods, more?!"

"Our comm buoy networks," Valern reported. "The Galactic Federal Reserve, the Citadel stock market."

"C-Sec investigations, the Spectres, and the combined branches of all our respective militaries." Sparatus added. "Travel itenaries of officials, military patrol routes, even the training procedures ranging from infantry to elite special forces."

"And the four Council races are not alone," Tevos concluded. "This AI has penetrated the Volus banks and accessed the Hanar's automated defense grid. Gained entry to the major defense finance and infrastructure systems of all Council and Embassy races."

Joru stared at them in blank shock at the sheer scale of the debacle, as the sheer magnitude of EDI's interference became apparent.

"So, in short, Joru?" An exasperated Anderson held up his hands. "We're running around like maniacs to fix this before word gets out. Before panic sets in, and faith in our currency and system plummets, which would be nothing less than total collapse of galactic society that everyone spent thousands of years building. Whatever your friend has been up to, whatever the ultimate plan is, we've been powerless to stop it."

"The Salarian Special Tasks Group is working overtime, a mad frenzy to find and contain this AI, while also reinforcing and verifying the integrity of our systems." Tevos reported, to which Valern numbly nodded. "In the meantime, Asari Matriarchs are rushing across the galaxy, devoting their experience and resources to keep our infrastructure afloat until we stop this."

"All of which is clearly costing us precious time and valuable resources," Anderson gave Joru a pointed look. "Time and resources we should be spending on more important matters."

Like the Reapers.

She stood silent, her eyes glinting every so often, and only Anderson knew her well enough to interpret that slight twitch of her jaw as anger building towards apoplectic rage. "Councilors, I tender my most humble apologies on the behalf of my friend. With your leave, I will return with her in tow, or die in the attempt. It is clear that I allowed her far more leeway than she deserved, and will need to curtail her with utmost haste."

The truth-telling device flickered amber for a moment, before a goldish-emerald-green blossomed from the device. The gathered Council glanced to Tevos, who nodded. "She is indeed immensely irked with her friend. She'll definitely be confronting her with haste and fury alike."

The three others, even Sparatus, sighed in immense relief. For once, they didn't care about maintaining composure for decorum. Valern in particular nearly looked as though he might finally be able to sleep.

"Darastrix," Tevos addressed. "We are inordinately grateful for your understanding and sympathy of the situation. Just as we are full of relief and joy for your pledge to remedy it."

"Don't be so optimistic, Councilors." The dragon's words snapped like bullwhips, her tail already lashing, though her gaze and bearing were as steady as a rock. "You also have incurred my ire by not bringing this to my attention far earlier."

"We are aware," Tevos readily answered without blinking. "Just as I hope you remain aware of our stated concerns of whether or not you were an intentional accomplice in these breaches."

"The fastest way to have a question answered, Councilors?" Joru met each of their eyes in turn, the hurt in them quite plain as she met Anderson's. "Ask me. The only stupid question is the one never asked, as I have been very much reminded myself this day."

"I should have asked EDI what she was up to, but as I have explained I have been busy." She sighed, and actually stepped forward to the table this time, drawing out a chair and slumping into it. "Six separate wars, three assassination attempts, no fewer than eighteen incursions, all within the terminus systems, and thus outside your purview."

At Valern's horrified stare at the truth-telling device, she gestured dismissively at the greenish glow. "Minor things, mostly interplanetary conflicts, not interstellar ones. Mercenary actions mostly. But the pacification of the Terminus is not accomplished by merely sitting back and allowing them to self-organize."

"Your reasons and logic are sound," Tevos conceded. "I suppose we have both been exorbitantly busy and would thus benefit from greater exchanges of discussion."

"Councilors, Darastrix," Valern spoke up. "I'm afraid there's still one final issue regarding the AI that must still be addressed promptly."

"What else is she accused of that you will use to make my headache even worse than it already is?" Joru sighed, rubbing around the base of her right horn with a gesture so familiar it made Anderson wince.

"Not accusations, Darastrix." Valern explained. "While we are grateful for your promise of assistance in this matter, the Council is still responsible for numerous polities and many trillions of lives. Questions of the AI's legality and prosecution for these breaches aside, we still need, at the very least, a firm guarantee that this will not happen. Especially if the AI refuses to comply."

"Ah, I see where this is going," Anderson sighed before leaning forward, his features hard and serious again. "Joru. The whole galaxy saw how you survived Sovereign's main weapon, a weapon that tore apart our strongest ships with ease, and later, you just walked it off. Fully healed without a scratch. But according to Cerberus' footage from Typhon, a plain old VI was able to match you blow for blow with that platform. Speed, strength, even regenerating at far more insane speeds! That thing was able to do what I thought only a -Reaper- could! And now, those same combat abilities are manned by a far superior intelligence. Joru, I have to ask very plainly: if your friend proves uncooperative, or, for whatever hypothetical reason, turns against the galaxy years down the line like the Geth did... can you defeat her?"

Silence took the room. The entire Council tensed at the question and watched the dragoness intently, waiting for an important answer.

"In a straight up duel?" The silence descended again for a time, before Joru went on, her tone contemplative. "Perhaps not. She is my superiour in strength, speed, reaction time, durability. A tank round would ricochett off her hide."

"Wonderful," Sparatus muttered. "Anything stronger than a tank or artillery shell would bring too much collateral damage."

"Her regeneration is of the same general level as my own, take that as you will." Joru ignored him, focusing on Anderson as she flexed her right forearm. "This is not the same hand I had, when first you chained me in the hold of the Normandy."

The former soldier grimaced.

"As to the rest... I could take her, but it would require subterfuge." The dragoness tilted her head, eyes bleak as she gazed into a space only she could see. "I know her few weaknesses, and how to exploit them. If necessary, I could bring her to heel, though it would be a narrow margin between disabling her, and outright destroying her."

Valern was taking rapid notes. "This is reassuring, but... not quite enough, darastrix. We can't gamble the fate of the galaxy on 'maybes' from one person alone. IIf you would provide us the AI's source code, our defenses against any further digital attack would be greatly assured."

"Would you ask me for a blueprint of her Soul?!" Joru sighed, rubbing her horn in a distracted manner.

"Spiritual arguments neither relevant nor productive." The salarian conversationally dismissed, not even looking up from his datapad.

For the second time since the meeting began, both Anderson and Sparatus facepalmed at Valern's particularly tactless dismissal. Tevos herself didn't move but her features visibly slackened, exasperated.

"Even if I had her source code it would be meaningless by now."

"'By now'?" This prompted Valern to look up. "Please clarify."

"She is an Emergent AI, Councilor." Joru gave a pained expression and sighed. "Yes, yes, quick vocab lesson. An Emergent AI is not designed, and certainly not programmed. It, she, emerges from a—"

Valern shot up to his feet, knocking his seat over and startling the Council. He was staring at Joru in abject alarm, features paling as green blood seeped from his face. "D-Did... did y-you say.... E-E-Emergent?!"

"Yes, Councilor--" Joru was across the table in a flash, catching Valern as he stumbled and fell, laying him out on the floor as he struggled for breath. "SPARATUS! I hope you have medical training!"

The turian moved immediately to aid his fellow Councilor while Tevos gasped in shock. "Oh, Goddesss..."

Anderson reacted just as fast, slamming his fist on an emergency intercom. "Trauma One, Trauma One! Aeghor! Trauma One! Aeghor, Aeghor!"

"Shepard!"

"Shepard!"

"Shepard!"

She twitched and shivered, the dream so real, the pain and ache, the wrongness so distant and unreal.

Which was the dream, and which was the nightmare?

She couldn't tell, couldn't know. Who was she? In the dream, she was Shepard.

Here... She was no one.

She wanted to dream, wanted to sleep.

Waking hurt. She hurt. Ached, all over, inside and out.

She floated, the thick gel supporting her. So weak, so tired. So wrong.

Eyes fluttered shut again, as she wondered what dream it would be this time.

Would it be the mountainside, where the four-eyed freaks kept trying to kill her and steal the men and women behind her?

Would it be the tight, red-lit corridors and the beeping collars again?

Would it be something else?

Whatever it was, it would be better than this.

She shut her eyes, surrendered herself, and dreamed.

Last edited:
Back