Renegade Magica (PMMM/Mass Effect)

Wee! Speculation pleases me.

This post will be addressing some of the comments, and the next part of the chapter will be posted after this post, which, while not too long, will be shortly followed by the next. It just structurally makes sense to split it, but I have a very solid idea of what's

Regarding the morality of the wish: So far I've been trying to hint that Shepard isn't totally fine with having exterminated an entire planet full of sapient beings, but, well, let's just say that she probably needs about a bucket's worth of grief seeds if she wants to engage in serious introspection on the matter.

Also, the galaxy's reaction to this is a fairly major plot point, and I do plan on covering the idea of non-human magical girls later. For now, suffice it to say that there are no non-human magical girls in existence.

As a side note, some elements are AU. Very AU. At least one such element will be made fairly obvious in the next snippet.

As a bonus for being so patient and all the speculation, have a Codex Entry!

Though, it's mostly for people coming in on the ME side of things.

Codex:

Interview with an Incubator: Karmic Weight: (transcribed to text by an interpreter)
Ah, karmic weight essentially refers to the term for a person's ability to affect change. Of course, that's a rather simplistic definition. Despite having studied it for longer than any currently living civilization has existed, it still requires careful consideration, and there are some aspects that we continue to work on studying, as there are a few anomalies currently in existence that our current understanding of the concept simply cannot account for.

It's not an easy subject to study, after all. While we could observe it, to a degree, we had no idea why some people could produce so much more energy than anyone else, despite having similar emotions. It took us encountering a species with a strict hierarchical structure to their civilization to realize that there was a strong correlation between karmic weight and social caste, and we only confirmed it when we allowed those with strong karmic weight to develop naturally, and they had a much more substantial impact on the world than any of their supposed peers.

As I'm given to understand that this interview is directed towards informing a less scientifically literate audience, I suppose I could give a rather simplified explanation, though I would remind everyone listening that this description is only intended to illustrate a concept rather than actually serve as a literal explanation of the processes involved.

I'm assuming that the people listening are at least familiar with the more basic interpretations of the Many Worlds Theory.

Every single choice that a person makes splits off several concurrent timelines, and free will is assumed to exist.

More important people, people with a greater ability to change the world, naturally produce a greater number of increasingly divergent timelines. What a contract does is, at the moment that the contract is being made, burns off all of the alternative timelines that could have grown from that person's choices, and splits it among the remaining timelines. While both numbers are, while not quite infinite, incredibly large, typically their ability to affect change was greater as a person who isn't a magical girl, and thus a great deal of energy is transferred to the universe where the magical girl was formed.

A portion of this power is transferred to the magical girl, but most of it is used to preserve the universe. Of course, this fails to account for those magical girls who manage to affect the universe at the same or even greater levels than their karmic weight would indicate, but, well, I did say that this was an imperfect explanation. Emotional instability and the fluctuations between hope and despair particularly, serve as multipliers for karmic weight, though the math, from what we've determined, is rather more complicated than a simple x added to the equation.

Oh?

The hierarchical species that I mentioned?

They've been extinct for a long time now.

Why do you ask?

Last edited:
There was a ping, and Shepard activated her Omnitool. "Did… you give them a way to contact me?"

Shepard asked, the thought just occurring to her.

I suspect that they scanned your omnitool at the same time that they checked you for weapons.

That was… vaguely worrying.

We can get you a new omnitool with more advanced security later.

Shepard nodded, and looked at the screen. The email had an attachment, and opening the file, her screen showed a three dimensional map of Omega, with several spots highlighted.

Kyubey stared at the map. Each of these has an approximated date and time of the suicide or mysterious death. It might be best to avoid the non-suicide deaths, as odd circumstances surrounding a death are hardly unusual on Omega.

Shepard watched the map. But, there's an area on the map that has had several recent deaths deemed mysterious in what looks to be a tight cluster. She pointed to one spot, even as she frowned. Just how many people had this Witch killed?

Ttrue, but that's a densely populated residential area that typically houses long term merchants or people who are similarly well off and yet continue to live on the station. They tend to keep better records than other parts of the station, so a sudden spike in that specific area might simply indicate that there was a general spike in violence that went unrecorded in the other sectors. While the number of deaths is elevated for the norm in this area, it's not a dramatic increase, and could have alternate causes.

Shepard glanced down, suppressing a glare. Well, what do you think we should do?

Well, I have no ability to make your choice for you, but there are several clusters of deaths that are I would consider to have been probably caused by a Witch in several of the old refineries. Even if the trail is old, judging by the drop in the death rate over the last two weeks, it should provide a more certain route to the Witch.

Shepard looked down at Kyubey, before sighing. "I'll go with your plan." Besides, the manufacturing areas were closer to her current location.

Another aircar hired, and they were off.

~~~

She walked the corridors, Kyubey perched on her shoulder, with the dim green glow of her soul gem clashing against the red lighting of this area.

She could feel tugs and pulls, but in every direction, seemingly at random. How does this normally work?
It tends to be somewhat easier, as most areas keep vaguely better records and there are rather fewer suspicious deaths on more orderly planets.

What… made Omega like this? Shepard asked, glancing at the elongated shadows and the occasional straggler who refused to make eye contact.

A complicated question. There weren't too many legitimate jobs on the station not directly related to mining, and with the amount of cash to be found in mining the abundant element zero resulted in many people finding more illegitimate forms of entertainment as people began living on the station. The initial investors didn't care to curtail that early corruption, and the criminal enterprises grew with the station itself, until they were too entrenched for the various competing interests to be able to expel them.

The station isn't quite designed for mental well-being; it being a livable habitat was almost secondary to the mining. Many of the initial miners were batarians, and they tended to find the red lighting soothing, but that didn't particularly help the other species with adjusting. The plans for this station that were drafted millennia ago didn't account for the amount of growth that it has experienced, nor that it would become such a hub of activity, as they imagined it would remain a mere mining station.

Kyubey paused. Truthfully, with the amount of despair, criminal activities, secluded areas, and hopeful immigrants looking to make it big on this station, it's almost ideal for Witch propagation. I'd almost consider its creation to be one of our social engineering projects if I didn't happen to know that to be false. It's a perfect hunting ground for a magical girl.

I don't plan on letting any more Witches form, Shepard thought at him, letting the glare on her face appear.

It's something that you'll have to consider. Besides, as far as morality goes, if the Witches propagate here, they are statistically more likely to feed on those that you would consider to be "bad people", so it's really more moral for you to allow this station to develop a Witch population than it would be for anywhere else. Besides, is it ethical of you to deny that choice to other magical girls in more desperate circumstances based on your own code of ethics?

Shepard paused in midstep, staring at the incubator on her shoulder. Just… stop it with the morality. You suck at it.

Kyubey paused, considering that. You wish for me to stop concerning myself with matters of morality? I don't quite think I'll ever understand magical girls.

Shepard scowled. No, I meant that- she froze. Something about the way that the thought sounded in her head… Was that a joke?

Of course not. Humor is a concept that we have trouble grasping. Incidentally, you might want to keep moving, the asari on the other side of my body seems to believe that you're glaring at her. With that, he clambered across to her other shoulder, leaving her staring at a disturbed looking woman.

"Ah, sorry," Shepard said as she quickened her pace, a faint blush on her cheeks. Hey, Kyubey, quick question.

What is it?

It had been vaguely nagging at the back of her mind, with every conversation she had with him. Are you, an individual?

Ah, this question.

You've heard it before?

Of course. We seldom interact with the rest of the galaxy, and so this question does tend to come up from time to time. We are not a hive mind, nor are we a collective intelligence. We simply see little point in having large degrees of individual variance, and by and large when presented with the same information we tend to come to the same conclusions.

Shepard paused. That fit with what she heard, but, So, do you have a name?

I do have an individual designation, yes, but it's a rather long alpha-numerical code in a foreign alphabet and a base sixteen counting system, so I doubt that it would be of much use to you. It glanced at her. If you want a name to refer to me as, I have been referred to as "Guardian", before. It was a rather long time ago, before we determined the most efficient method of contracting young girls.

Shepard raised an eyebrow. Guardian?

Kyubey looked back at her. It was given to me by someone before they fully realized what it meant to be a magical girl.

Shepard shuddered. It was almost easy to forget that in the past, the Incubators weren't publicly known to have an agenda, or even that taking a contract would result in having the magical girl's soul removed from their body. What they did now was practically benign compared to the past.

I can't think of anything better, and it might avoid confusion later on, so, Guardian it is. Besides, maybe the irony would remind her not to trust the weasel. Or at least, to question what it told her.

Very well. "Guardian" thought to her. Incidentally, how long has it been since you've eaten?

Shepard frowned. How long ago- she frowned, it had been, hours, really. She hadn't been keeping track of the time. She felt at her stomach; she didn't feel hungry, though.

It appears as if you've managed to shunt your hunger off into your soul gem, which is a bad habit to get into. While you can sustain yourself purely off of magic, with your body regenerating whatever is lost from hunger, it is rather less efficient than simply getting some food.

Shepard winced. I, yeah, I hadn't even noticed. She concentrated on her stomach, and suddenly felt a dull ache in her belly. I… should probably get some food.

I can give you a credit account to pay for it, but I will continue to investigate for the location of the Witch. Besides, I imagine that you could use some time for yourself, at this point.

With that, Kyubey's back opened up, and a small credit chit popped out.

Shepard grabbed it. Alright then.

By the now, they'd entered an area of the station more designed for habitation. Sarah glanced around at the various restaurants, and then finally picked one that had the brightest neon sign that happened to be in English, for lack of any better method of determining the quality or edibility of the food.

A dozen sets of eyes glanced towards her as she entered, and she walked to one of the tables, glancing at the electronic menu.

She frowned, looking at the choices. Should she order based on local time, or what she felt was morning or evening? The diner was one of those twenty four hour ones, so it wasn't as if they only served some of the food at certain times…

In the end, she ordered bacon and pancakes.

Sarah frowned, staring at the screen, before switching it to television mode, flipping channels until she reached the news, only for it to be interrupted by a commercial. She frowned at the timestamp, this was going to be one of the longer ones that were still short enough that she couldn't skip it.

An image of a young girl, probably around twelve or so, appeared on the screen, and the picture had clearly been taken around Christmas, judging by the decorations in the background. A woman's voice spoke. "This is Maria Rodriguez. She enjoys watching professional soccer, and plays with her friends at a field near her house."

The picture switched to an image of her playing with a large dog, standing next to an Asari and a human woman. "She has two moms, and despite knowing that she was adopted, she has never felt that either of the women raising her were anything but her real parents."

The image switched to a picture of a bright blue soul gem. "This is also Maria Rodriguez. No matter where her soul is stored, she is still the same hopeful young girl who made her wish to save a friend from a wasting illness beyond current medical technology's ability to fix."

The image switched to one of the girl, in a standard magical girl outfit holding a small staff, standing between her two parents, each with a hand on one of her shoulders. "We can understand if you don't want your children to make that choice, but don't hate the child for sins born of hope and love. Don't hate Maria."

The image switched to one of a screen on which a stylized cartoon girl embraced a three headed dog. "Paid for by the Cerberus Foundation. Remember: Even magical girls could use a few loyal friends!"

The image shifted to some people talking, but Shepard wasn't listening.

She… she didn't even know what her parents would think of her now. Would they have supported her? They had never liked magical girls, though it had been a quieter thing than the sentiments of some of her neighbors. Would they have been willing to put that aside to support her, or would they have abandoned her like she'd heard of some parents doing to their children?

Dad would support her, she thought. He would be disappointed, sure, but, well, he would.

Her mom… She had always been the more religious of the two, though with less fire and more quiet strength. Would she approve, especially with the wish that had been made?

But…

She glanced at the few tears that had fallen to the table, and shook her head.

She couldn't afford to grieve. Her soul gem was already darkening, and she was preparing for a fight.

Suppression wasn't supposed to be healthy, but then, most psychologists never had to worry about turning into Witches, either.

She wiped her tears on her… costume. It wouldn't do to start a panic over a depressed magical girl.

"Your meal." A… quarian, she remembered, placed them on the table, and Shepard absentmindedly ran the credit chit through the scanner on the table. She left quickly, likely from nerves.

Sarah looked at the pancakes, and cut it with her fork.

The people speaking on the screen now were financial analysts, and she almost changed the channel before one of them spoke. "And we still don't know what's going on in Camala, and considering that it's a major exporter of element zero, prices are going up. It might not be a long term investment, but there are a lot of companies attempting to stockpile the element on the chance of a sudden drop in supply, while many investors are selling stocks from companies that are even loosely connected to Camala's industry."

The woman started speaking. "Until the Hegemony stops their blockade, release the information or allow reporters through, we don't know what will happen to the prices over the next few days. The incident had to have been major, considering just how many shipments were delayed without warning, but if it's something the people of Camala will be able to bounce back from, or if it's something that could cripple the economy of that entire region of space, well, we just don't have enough information to say."

Bounce back from. Shepard squeezed the fork in her hand, bending the metal.

That wasn't going to happen.

Kyubey popped up next to her. I located the Witch's Labyrinth!

Shepard got up, she'd remembered that she'd already paid, and left. She wasn't feeling hungry, and it wasn't because she was shunting her hunger off onto her soul gem this time.

An aircar brought them to the place where Shepard had originally planned on beginning her search.

She didn't bother mentioning it before, because she could feel the Witch. She glanced upwards, and saw a maintenance tunnel access hatch.

She leapt into the air, an instinct that couldn't have been natural, considering that the hatch was over thirty feet above her head, but she easily made the jump, grabbing the edges and throwing herself in.

Codex: Jessica

Archive Coreahbfae0fbaeusbnfu9

A little Boy ran to the end of the sky
With a rag and a pole and a gooseberry pie
He cried, "Three cheers for the Fourth of July!"

He saw three little Donkeys at play
He tickled their noses to make them bray
And he didN't come back until Christmas Day

Check for anomalies

Last edited:
It's something that you'll have to consider. Besides, as far as morality goes, if the Witches propagate here, they are statistically more likely to feed on those that you would consider to be "bad people", so it's really more moral for you to allow this station to develop a Witch population than it would be for anywhere else. Besides, is it ethical of you to deny that choice to other magical girls in more desperate circumstances based on your own code of ethics?

Shepard paused in midstep, staring at the incubator on her shoulder. Just… stop it with the morality. You suck at it.
"Factory-farming" witches in places I dislike made perfect sense to me, although I'd be more likely to advocate the batarian homeworld as a site rather than Omega. More locals to feed on/eventually if Omega was to become entirely witch-infested someone would just try nuking it/it's removing the batarians from posing a threat to humans or at least decreasing their power. Also, grief seeds.

Does thinking like this make me a bad person?

Paid for by the Cerberus Foundation.
"Fifty scientists died to create the advertisement alone and the recording equipment somehow took over the base!"

So is there a hidden message at the end?

It's... something that I'm experimenting with.

Basically,

All of the misplaced capitol letters are actually links. They lead you to sites or articles that give, when put together, basically give the reader an idea of just what the backstory of that Witch particular happens to be. You wouldn't have to read the whole thing, just the beginning or the title to give you a basic idea.

"Factory-farming" witches in places I dislike made perfect sense to me, although I'd be more likely to advocate the batarian homeworld as a site rather than Omega. More locals to feed on/eventually if Omega was to become entirely witch-infested someone would just try nuking it/it's removing the batarians from posing a threat to humans or at least decreasing their power. Also, grief seeds.

Well, the thinking seems similar to the Japanese practice in the Second World War of eating captured Allied soldiers.

Last edited:

"Fifty scientists died to create the advertisement alone and the recording equipment somehow took over the base!"

......You forget that the Batarian homeworld is basically North Korea with slavery. You would not just be killing the rich slave owners and dick military, but the lower class batarians who are only ONE step up from actual slaves, as well as, y'know, the slaves.

......You forget that the Batarian homeworld is basically North Korea with slavery. You would not just be killing the rich slave owners and dick military, but the lower class batarians who are only ONE step up from actual slaves, as well as, y'know, the slaves.
So, essentially, evil, but the kind of evil governments and organizations might tolerate given some circumstances. Equivalent of massive chemical-biological warfare probably. Or possibly just ridiculously self centered and completely lacking empathy.

That said, given the existence of magical girls, if said magical girls start getting too effective and numerous, it can end with them needing to farm witches so said magical girls don't turn into witches themselves, which will be worse in the sense that you can't keep them away from more important regions.

Another alternative might be to pull an Azkaban. With a whole galaxy to pick from, it might be possible to reunite enough of the truly terrible sophonts to create one or more prisons big enough to be able to farm witches. Unethical but could be argued that it's better than uncontrolled witches spreading at random because of starving magical girls.

The real ideal result really would be an alternative way of purifying the grief seeds, but unless we get a Madokami equivalent to make a wish like that, it's more than a bit unlikely, specially with how the Incubators would try to keep at least one step ahead of said reverse engineering to keep their efficiency up.

It could be theoretically solved if you did manage to acquire some ethical form of producing energy out of nothing and used that as a bargaining chip to make the Incubators take a more collaborative approach with other species, instead of treating them essentially like livestock. Hard part would be to make them sit down and negotiate instead of simply picking up said tech and continuing with the extra efficient ways of collecting energy they were already doing.

All these better solutions though? It's already unlikely in the long term and downright impossible otherwise. In the short term all that is left is to do the best out of a terrible situation, really.

Another alternative might be to pull an Azkaban. With a whole galaxy to pick from, it might be possible to reunite enough of the truly terrible sophonts to create one or more prisons big enough to be able to farm witches. Unethical but could be argued that it's better than uncontrolled witches spreading at random because of starving magical girls.

Capital punishment can be ethical under some systems. Nobody reoffends after being executed, that's for sure, and it's cheaper for the State than life imprisonment unless there's a huge amount of red tape (as there is in America).

Here you have capital punishment with a negative cost.

Since magical girls and scum both presumably scale linearly, though, I rather doubt it'd be enough to feed all of them.

The chief problem with capital punishment is the falability of any system in determining guilt. Inevitably, someone's innocent rival will be found guilty of something, whether framed or railroaded. And inevitably, through corruption, incompitence, or deceit, someone trully guilty will be let off. (Then there's the consequences of desperation when apprehending someone...)

That said, it certainly has it's place with repeat offenders guilty of great crimes.

I have to say, I'm excited for the fallout of the wish to really spread here. It will be especially fun when people start questioning why Shepard had so much karmic weight- more than a planet of people's worth at least, but honestly she probably had more than a noticeable percentage of the entire galaxy when you think about it.

The Cerberus foundation is interesting too... I wonder if it's still got the same goals, but is just approaching them from a more oblique angle?

I have to say, I'm excited for the fallout of the wish to really spread here. It will be especially fun when people start questioning why Shepard had so much karmic weight- more than a planet of people's worth at least, but honestly she probably had more than a noticeable percentage of the entire galaxy when you think about it.

The Cerberus foundation is interesting too... I wonder if it's still got the same goals, but is just approaching them from a more oblique angle?

30 bucks says this version is much more competent, yet far more unlucky.

I don't know, how much more unlucky can you get then to have all of your everything take over the base and kill all the employees?
The above, but then the failsafe protocols fail to kick in; and the next thing ya know, Alliance News Network's broadcasting an exclusive on said epic failure.

Whoa, nice story. Finding it hard to agree with Shepard's wish, but I don't blame her...

So, snippet will be delayed, somewhat.

As it turns out, I'll be getting my wisdom teeth removed today.

I thought to myself, hey, I'll be going under anesthetics, and I'll probably be a bit loopy from that, so that seems like a perfect chance to write out a scene in which Shepard is in a Labyrinth. But, obviously, I would need to edit it once I'm coherent again so that it's the interesting kind of loopy rather than, you know, rubbish.

I'm just going to respond to a few questions and try to . (I was going to include another Codex, but I think I'll save that for when I reach one of the relevant parts of Haunting at Shanxi.)

Cerberus is... different. There are a variety of reasons for that, reasons beyond "they're a bit silly". Though, I might as well state that I had them keep the name rather than create an entirely different organization for a reason...

Shepard's karmic weight is definitely a bit of a plot point, though, well, it'll probably be addressed once I get to the point where I can have more than three characters with speaking roles.

The morality of having a exclusively for the farming and harvesting of Witches, well, from what we saw from Rebellion, if you're a Witch, you're basically perpetually living all of your greatest fears and sorrows and failures.

It's probably the sort of thing that isn't considered a warcrime solely because it hasn't come up yet.

Besides, so far, there really isn't all that much of a Witch scarcity (for reasons that are mostly not conspiracy related, actually). It's killing them and remaining in the green while doing so that's the real difficulty. Also, transit times, because Witches tend to be spread out.

As a last note, when it comes to specially designed hunting grounds made using prisoners or the deployment of Witches as bioweapons, well, I do have a few ideas that I don't think I've seen in other PMMM stories that would make such a thing impractical. Another major flaw with that that is less setting specific and more of an interpretation of PMMM canon is that happen to be of the opinion that large gatherings of Witches are the way that Walpurgisnachts are formed, and that's canon for this story.

Even with orbital supremacy, a Walpugisnacht is... fairly bad news. (Of course, some have a different opinion on whether or not this would be worth it.)

On a more limited scale it might be useful, but... well,

Some of the politics of the Systems Alliance as they try and decide just what to do with magical girls legally speaking are a major underlying plot of the story. So far, I've only shown a pro-magical girl advertizement as opposed to some of the groups that are more strongly against the existence of magical girls for religious or moral reasons. Or believe that they should be very tightly regulated.

As a side note, since it's partially relevant to this point, while I won't be going into any great detail (since I am not a student of theology), the revelation of the existence of Incubators and their empirical proof of the existence of a soul as something with more significance than a bundle of neurons has had... interesting effects on most religions.

30 bucks says this version is much more competent, yet far more unlucky.

I don't know, how much more unlucky can you get then to have all of your everything take over the base and kill all the employees?

The above, but then the failsafe protocols fail to kick in; and the next thing ya know, Alliance News Network's broadcasting an exclusive on said epic failure.

Heh.

Let's just say that so far, Cerberus has not openly engaged in any activities that are so obviously evil that they are no longer considered a legal organization that can openly advertize with their logo.

What that means in terms of what they've actually done, however...

I foresee some interesting interactions between Shepard and Cerberus in the future.

Shepard looked at the corridor, scythe in hand.

It was… strange. Long, and not entirely even, for the artificial look of it. It… probably wasn't as surreal as some labyrinths were, nothing here actually seemed impossible for modern construction to create but watching a labyrinth on a screen was different from watching it on a screen on a screen was different from actually walking through it.

Well, this was it. Her first, actual, life or death struggle. Sure, she'd gotten into a few fights with other kids on the colony, but, this…
She shook her head.

She was apparently more powerful than most, so that likely made things a bit easier. Most magical girls did apparently die after either their first fight or their first month of combat, though.

Was there anything she should have done to prepare?

Training? Try to see what sort of powers she had in a fight?

In most cases, a magical girl learns substantially more in combat than they do training, even if they tried to train extensively. Besides, any delay weakens you, and at this point, you're likely best off trying to kill it with overwhelming power.

Shepard turned to her side. "Shouldn't I try to win by using as little power as possible?"

Ideally, yes, but trying for efficiency can put you at substantially higher risk of something catching you off guard, and it might be better to attempt more energy efficient kills only after you have some proper combat experience.

Shepard nodded. That… made sense. So, how should she approach this?

It might be best to hurry, as waiting and planning is likely to just make you more nervous.

"Right then, Kyu- Guardian," she corrected herself. That was going to be difficult to remember. She started walking.

The corridor narrowed or widened, slowly curving in and out, and its light blue walls and pastel floor would probably give her a headache if she stared at it for too long. She had the sneaking suspicion that it was curving, slowly moving her either to the left or the right, but with the build of the walls, she couldn't quite be sure of that.

So, should I charge in, observe, be cautious… I don't think a scythe makes a good throwing weapon, honestly.

She tried making it bigger, larger, pumping her magic through it, and she felt… something, despite the utter lack of physical change in the weapon. Was the edge glimmering more, or was that just the weird lighting that didn't seem to actually have a source?

It's entirely possible that your either your body or your weapon have more exotic effects that will only be apparent once you enter combat.
Shepard frowned. "I'm pretty sure that I didn't actually broadcast that last thought."

You didn't, but you were fairly obvious about what you were thinking.

Shepard paused.

And she continued walking.

It didn't take too long for the corridor to widen, and Shepard wasn't quite sure if that was because of distance she traveled, or if it was reacting to her presence. The perspective seemed to shift with every blink, to the point that she was rather thankful that her Soul Gem was apparently capable of preventing her from experiencing vertigo.

The room she entered looked to be a large party room, decorated as a kid's birthday might be, with streamers and bright colors with lots of pink.
In front of her, in the middle of the room was a long table, covered in cakes and tiny boomboxes. At each side of the table were rows of toys, dolls and action figures, some more abstract like putty or castles, each of which was at least her own height, moving animatedly as if they were talking, despite the utter silence in the room.

Shepard lifted her scythe, staring at the far end of the table, where a massive teddy bear sat, with stitches for eyes, smiling its sewn grin as it lifted its glass to her.

She could sense that the Witch was directly in front of her. That's the one.

Shepard glanced around, at all of the… festivities. It looked like she had time to make the first move.

So, how would she attack?

Run straight for the Witch, ignoring the familiars? Attack straight through the middle? Maybe even calmly walk past them, as they didn't seem to care enough to fight her, yet?

She didn't want the familiars to flee too quickly, not if she wanted to prevent the station from having an infestation. Taking out the Witch immediately might make her unable to kill the rest.

She took a deep breath, and stepped slightly to the side of the table, holding her scythe out. This is… I have no idea if it will work or not.

And then she ran down the sides of the table, scythe out, clotheslining her way through that half of the familiars. She felt some resistance, and could see the familiars dying, but it looked like she did in fact have the raw power to simply carve through that side of the table. Twenty familiars later, the Teddy Bear still hadn't noticed her, she angled to the side and with a leap, she removed its head.

Landing on the ground, the Witch failed to react, as its head full of fluff collapsed to the ground, disintegrating.

She stared at it. That was… too easy. Was she really that powerful? Was that Witch particularly weak, or- no, she still felt a presence. The labyrinth hadn't collapsed.

She watched the table, looking at the half of the familiars that she hadn't killed. They were staring at her, even the castle, unmoving.

She watched them. Was one of them the Witch, or- she saw motion out of the corner of her eye, and jumped, leaping to the side.

She looked back, trying to see what she had just avoided, and watched as the leg of the table retreated, looking more as a sharp edged tendril than the leg that it had appeared as at first.

The Witch had been the table all along? At least she had managed to dodge the surprise attack- a second glance showed a darker coloring to the leg than the rest of the table, and a glance at her shoulder confirmed it.

She hadn't quite managed to escape unscathed. She didn't feel it, though that arm seemed to be replying somewhat sluggishly.

The other familiars were standing up, watching her, even as they began to approach, with the castle apparently sliding across the ground.

A movement from the top of the table, and by purest instinct Sarah lifted her scythe and put it between the table and herself, shattering a plate before it could reach her. And with that, the familiars charged.

She cleaved apart a doll (did she own that particular Barbie, buried in her closet back at Mindoir?), some sort of military figure in Alliance armor, with a static face demonstrating its inhumanity (she didn't even know what had happened to the planetary garrison, sure, there weren't many of them, but-) this time a knife was thrown at her and she dodged.

That looked more like a steak knife than what she'd expect to see at the kids table, but- a blow was dodged- why couldn't she focus?

Concentrate on your Soul Gem, the leg was poisoned, don't let any feedback from your body reach your Soul Gem and you should minimize the consequences of the contaminant.

Shepard tried, but- she slashed at the soldier, did his face look familiar or- but it was rather hard to focus with all of these people- familiars keep them dehumanized- attacking her- she dodged a blow from some sort of elastic figure, arms stretched beyond normal- never think of any of them as human, you couldn't handle it- she froze, and a handsewn doll took the opportunity to punch her, slamming her across the room.

She felt it as she hit the wall. Well, that knocked her clear of the crowd, and so she concentrated, focused on the Soul Gem until nothing of the pain was left.

Her mind felt clearer, better, even, and she was able to will herself to make the gesture of a relieved sigh, and nearly failed to dodge the three chairs flying at her.

More followed, but she was moving too quickly for the Witch to follow, moving on the outskirts of the crowd. She held her blade out, and the ones on the edge were cleared.

She circled them, always moving her circles closer and closer to the table, still trying to throw objects at her but utterly unable to hit her.

The next loop, she veered to the side, closing to the table, and with a single upward diagonal slice removed one of the legs, and her mind absently noted that it was the one that had been stained with her blood.

It writhed, and she leapt on top of it, running along and dragging her blade downwards as she began to slice it in half.

She dashed towards the remaining familiars, who stood frozen in place, cleaving them apart even as the labyrinth collapsed around her.

She stood in the maintenance tunnels.

She took a deep breath, more from habit or… expectation than anything else. Not like she needed one, with the state of her body.

So, this is what the rest of my life is going to be like? Shepard let her body reconnect with her soul gem, and she could feel the ache of her shoulder, had she hit her wall with her wounded shoulder?

Doing this for, what, a year? Two, three, five if was really lucky?

Even the oldest of magical girls, Alliance posterchild Ashley Williams was only, what, in her mid-twenties? And no one else had come close to lasting as long as her. Ten years as a magical girl while fighting criminals and pirates on the side…

No matter how powerful I am, would I really be able to last that long? Probably not.

And for what?

Vengeance? She'd always been told that an eye for an eye left the whole world blind, and thinking back to those bloodstained streets, to the genoc-

She felt something touch her neck, and saw Guardian sitting next to her. You were very close to becoming a Witch there. He broadcasted to her. I hope that you don't mind my taking the initiative in using the grief seed on your soul gem.

Shepard's heart hammered in her chest, her previous thoughts forgotten. "How, how long did I have?"

At the rate your soul gem was darkening, it could have been anything from seconds to an hour, with how unpredictable the final plunge can be, but you were getting increasingly close to the point of no return.

Shepard took a deep breath. She felt, despite her nervousness… fine. Better than she had in a while, really.

One consequence most magical girls apparently don't realize is that the usage of grief seeds is capable of assisting even more conventional depression, so it's hardly anomalous if you feel significantly better than usual.

Sarah nodded. "So, I." She took a deep breath. "Thank you."

No thanks are necessary. She giggled at the phrasing. A lot of people said that in order to be polite, or to sound nice, but to an Incubator, he probably meant it completely literally.

She frowned, slightly. Giggling… how long had it been? She had never been much of a giggler. This time she just let out a huff. She wouldn't let herself turn into a Witch because she felt depressed over the fact that she had just giggled.

Guardian just kept on staring at her, and she absentmindedly rubbed his head.

She picked him up and dropped him on her shoulder, and walked to the point that she had jumped to reach the maintenance tunnel.

She shook her head and leaped down.

Incidentally, I have already sent confirmation of the Witch's death to Aria, and your pay should be transferred to your account shortly. Also, even with some additional funds, it might take time to set up an appointment with someone capable of properly arranging for the ship to be transferred to your ownership.

Shepard landed, and ignored the glances some of the people surrounding her gave. "Alright. I think… I want to go to one of the safehouses you mentioned."

Not the vacated apartments?

"Right." She wasn't in the mood to live in a place where she knew the previous owners were dead. Besides, what were the chances that she'd be able to keep who she was and what she had done a secret for all that long anyway?

~~~

The safehouse was sparsely decorated, with a single poster with the Cerberus logo cheerfully plastered on the wall. It had one room real living space, and a small bathroom.

The only thing that indicated any real expense taken was the lock pad on the door, and even that was disguised as an older model.

A quick check of the pantries showed that they were fully stocked, and Shepard glanced at the note on the side, taking a moment to decipher the poor handwriting. If you happen to have a chance, please buy replacements for whatever you use. If you can't afford it, though, don't worry about it! :)

Shepard stared at the note. It didn't look recent. Probably from someone who rarely had to handwrite anything. Was it from the most recent magical girl to use the safehouse, or had several seen the note and decided to leave it there? She shook her head and grabbed a noodle cup, pouring in the water and tossing it in the microwave.

"So," Shepard said, before collapsing on the Spartan bed. "What should I do now?"

Guardian leapt on top of the computer.

As far as I can tell, there are currently no more familiars on Omega, but it will take time to confirm, as the Witch's trail is too fresh to discover any sign of the familars on a station like this. Once you have the ship registered to yourself, you'll likely need to travel from planet to planet and hunt down witches if you continue to not allow the familiars to mature.

"Are you sure? The Witch killed a lot of people before I got here, so I'd think they would have had time to spread."

Apparently, this Witch's familiars were staying near the Witch, and most of the energy gained from killing those people went towards reinforcing those familiars. This Witch's personality made her familiars ill-suited to hunting or growing on their own, and the Witch had no interest in allowing them to become Witches.

Shepard frowned. "Personality? I thought Witch's weren't... intelligent." Had she just killed a person?

Less of an actual personality, and more of a set of instincts and urges based on what caused the magical girl to fall into despair, what her original wish was, and the magical girl's personality.

Shepard frowned. "So, they aren't the magical girls?"

The exact nature of the process still has many unknowns, but one thing that I can confirm for you is that if the magical girl who formed the Witch is still aware, then killing her is, by human norms, what you would likely consider to be a mercy kill.

"I, yeah, I could see that." A mercy kill. That's what it was. Like one of the cows back on Mindoir after it had its legs shattered.

Moving on, you might need to find a source of income.

Shepard glanced at him, even as the microwave began beeping. "What do you mean?"

My ability to quietly move funds around is limited, and there are other magical girls in need. Having a personal fund would allow you to purchase more than the bare necessities. Besides, since you don't actually trust me, wouldn't you feel more secure not having to rely on me financially?

She looked at him, trying to look for some hint as to what he was thinking. Was it a trick? Did he feel that her emotional stability would further his own ends, or did he want to make her trust him?

But… it was good advice.

Guardian jumped to the ground. I wouldn't worry about it too much, for now. I'll be investigating methods of acquiring that ship legally for you.

"Right then." Shepard got up, and grabbed the cup of noodles. " I guess I can wait for now."

~~~

Shepard sipped her drink in the café, watching the news. Several days later, and the batarians had finally announced the fate of everyone on Camala, though they were apparently keeping the cause of death classified, for now.

She shook her head. It might not be safe for her, but, well, being cooped up in the safehouse, playing cheap handheld games, it got boring real quickly.
Besides, she hadn't noticed it before, with, everything else she had to deal with, but…

She wasn't used to all of these confined spaces.

She'd lived on a planet, a planet with a very small population for most of her life, and things were so much more… open.

She wasn't claustrophobic or anything, but… it was weird to not have the sky above her head. And they did need to wait, as apparently whoever Guardian had contacted needed several days to assemble a legal proof of ownership.

Something about claiming salvage rights and slightly fudging when she had applied to actually have salvage rights.

"If you would pardon this one, there is a question that needs to be asked." Shepard glanced in the direction of the vaguely melodious voice, and saw a big, luminescent jellyfish. A hanar.

"Go ahead."

"You are a magical girl, correct?" He or she…. She'd just assume it to be a he, stared at her.

Shepard took a moment to consider the question. If he was asking her, it wasn't as if he didn't actually know already. "That's right." She paused, feeling vaguely as if she needed to say something else. "What's it to you?" … Maybe she should stop watching so many Westerns.

He flashed, and Shepard decided not to bother trying to read him. "This one has a request for you."

"Don't you hate magical girls?" Inwardly, Shepard winced. She had never really met all that many aliens, but she shouldn't assume that they were all alike, her parents had raised her better than that.

"This one is unlike many of its kin, in that this one views the existence of magical girls, as well as the situation in which humanity has found itself, as a tragedy rather than an abomination. This one pities your fate."

"Uh, thanks for… that." Then again, maybe some of the stereotypes had some basis in fact. "So, uh, what sort of request did you have for me?"

"The sort that promises a great deal of money in exchange for the task being done."

Shepard looked at him, hoping that she was staring in the general eye area. "What sort of request?"

"This one has discovered that a particular magical girl has landed on this station, for reasons unrelated to the recently slain Witch. She is an infamous criminal, and this one would be willing to pay you one hundred thousand credits to end her life."

Shepard's eyes widened. "A hundred thou-" she took a breath. "What did she do?"

"Her crimes are legion. A myriad variations on Grand Theft, murder vandalism and piracy, her crimes are worthy of her bounty."

"Vandalism?" The word came out unprompted.

"There was, before her actions, no crime on record for the act of crashing a space station onto one of our holiest sites, and we simply could not allow her to escape punishment for that specific crime."

Shepard frowned. "There has to be someone else capable of taking this job." Really, walking up to random people and asking them if they'd be willing to kill someone for you didn't seem like an efficient way of handling a situation like this.

"Most of the mercenaries that I contacted were unwilling to take the contract. If the magical girl is not killed in a very specific way, there is a risk of her creating a Witch, and the mercenaries were unwilling to take such a risk. As you are yourself a magical girl, that particular risk would be minimized in your case."

Shepard frowned, leaning back into her chair.

It… made sense. That seemed like a fairly large sum, but she could understand why it was offered.

The magical girl… she didn't sound like a good person. She sounded like someone who actually deserved to be killed.

But… killing someone for money, even if was deserved, (and even if it's a whole lot of money, a treacherous little voice in her mind said)? Was that a line she really wanted to cross?

Then again, she thought, glancing at the television screen, it would probably be a drop in the bucket compared to what I've done.

"Alright. I'll do it. What's her name?"

"Her name," the hanar flashed again, and this time Shepard could read the aggression in the light, "is Jack."

~~~

Sorry for the delay. I'd like to blame it on something, but truth be told, I'm just terrible at keeping to a schedule, and also occasionally a moron.

I can't promise that there won't be any future delays like this, only that I do have a very definite end of the story planned and that I do want to reach it.

Trivia for the day!

When I first started thinking about a potential Mass Effect/Puella Magi Madoka Magica story, one of the first things I considered was turning just about everyone on the Normandy into teenage magical girls with the exception of Joker and/or Kaiden, and it would essentially be the story of those two trying to keep the peace on a ship full teenage girls whose powers have a strong tendency to cause emotional instability, with a chance of horribly killing everyone.

It wasn't all that workable, and in the end, the tone of the story I wanted to write ended up shifting rather dramatically.

Last edited:

Really not surprised that Jack is a puella magi and I'm sure that her childhood gave her a hell of a karmic weight

Last edited:
Maybe Jack's wish helped her escape Cerberus? Is her background even the same?

"This one has discovered that a particular magical girl has landed on this station, for reasons unrelated to the recently slain Witch. She is an infamous criminal, and this one would be willing to pay you one hundred thousand credits to end her life."

Shepard's eyes widened. "Twenty thou-" she took a breath. "What did she do?"
I think that's a continuity glitch.

This story continues to be entertaining.

"Her crimes are legion. A myriad variations on Grand Theft, murder vandalism and piracy, her crimes are worthy of her bounty."

"Vandalism?" The word came out unprompted.

"There was, before her actions, no crime on record for the act of crashing a space station onto one of our holiest sites, and we simply could not allow her to escape punishment for that specific crime."
Yeah, pretty much the same. Thought it could be that instead of superbiotic supersoldier Cerberus was trying to breed super puelas. Which actually mean the same childhood conditions, with less medical torture and more simple torture

Really not surprised that Jack is a puella magi and I'm sure that her childhood gave her a hell of a karmic weight

Well, the important thing to remember with Jack is that she isn't just damn powerful as a magical girl. (She's kind of bullshit, honestly.)

Maybe Jack's wish helped her escape Cerberus? Is her background even the same?

Just to (lightly) spoil things, since much of it will be revealed in the next part of the story: Her backstory is similar to canon, but with a few fairly major divergences.

Yeah, pretty much the same. Thought it could be that instead of superbiotic supersoldier Cerberus was trying to breed super puelas. Which actually mean the same childhood conditions, with less medical torture and more simple torture

Again, it's... mostly similar.

I think that's a continuity glitch.

This story continues to be entertaining.

It has been fixed.

And glad that you enjoyed it!

Back