Psychoprotective (Youjo Senki/Psychonauts)

Augustus and Raz were honestly the last people I figured would involved in fighting the Director at this point. I was personally betting on Mary pulling a Dark Horse victory on him by waking the Kintsugi Devil of the Rhine for an assist.

I am hoping that Milla and Sasha get more screen time in the next update. I'm curious as to how they managed to bypass Tanya's defenses, or if they just decided to take their chances while she was escaping the Hand of Galochio.

I am hoping that Milla and Sasha get more screen time in the next update. I'm curious as to how they managed to bypass Tanya's defenses, or if they just decided to take their chances while she was escaping the Hand of Galochio.
I'm afraid you'll have to be dissapointed. It's because Tanya's last act before the Director took over was both to lower those defenses and to call out for Milla to come. It's why it took seconds for them to show up, allowing Augustus to catch up and dive in while the Director was distracted.

Chapter 24
Book 2 has started for the Patrons!

Not much news to say at this point, enjoy the chapter.

-----------------------------

[Augustus Aquato, Ringmaster of the Aquato's Flying Circus]

Augustus wasn't really a stranger to fighting the little suited men, the censors. He usually cleared out before he took out too many, as he wasn't sure if he was hurting his children by doing so, but they were… weak.

At least, they usually were. These censors seemed much more on the ball than the ones in his family's minds. Fortunately, Razputin seemed to be extraordinarily agile and strong, even by Aquato standards, within the mental world. So it wasn't much time before the attack ceased.

"Wow!" Razputin said after the last one was felled, vibrating in excitement. "You were all, Bam! And, and… Pow!" Words failed his son as he attempted to gush over Augustus' combat skills. He was fairly intelligent for a three year old, but only about as much as a five year old. He still had a limited vocabulary. "It was so cool!"

"Yes, Razputin." Augustus said, interrupting his son's attempt to verbalize his opinions. "Censors are the weakest mental defenses that Elya can bring to bear against us. This is too dangerous for you."

"But I can help!" Raz insisted. "Astrally projecting doesn't hurt you badly if you get kicked out!" Oh? Augustus has always been rather cautious about that… "It just stuns you for a few minutes!" Ah, that would still lead to death if the gentleman in control of Tanya's body was able to do anything about it.

Still… Augustus doesn't actually know how to forcibly eject Razputin. His only idea is to personally administer some… discipline. He knew he'd never go that far with his children. Unpleasant amounts of exercise or particularly disgusting chores has always been his go-to punishment… "If you don't leave right now, Razputin," Augustus began. "You're going to be solely responsible for Sugarcube's trailer for two weeks." He threatened.

"Fine!" Razputin said, his voice firm. "But first we have to help Elya!"

Augustus was shocked. He never expected this level of… resolve from a three year old. He knew it was those Psychonauts comic books giving him delusions of grandeur… but a man has to stand up for what he believes in, and if he crushes Razptuin's spirit now… "Well, the first thing you need to know is that her name isn't Elya."

"Huh?" Razputin asked.

"You recall when I explained that Elya was running away, and will likely lie about herself a lot for the first month or two of her being here?" Augustus asked. Razputin nodded. "Well, her name's actually Tanya Dosva. She has a missing person's poster." He brought it out from his pocket, unfolding it and showing it to his son. He was really quite intelligent, the main reason he lets the boy read his comic books is because learning to read at such a young age was definitely something to be encouraged.

Razputin seemed to struggle with the larger words, but seemed to absorb the gist of it. "So we need to break her hypnosis so she'll go back home!"

"Very good, Razputin. You understand." Augustus added. He turned towards the dizzying urban landscape. "Now… where to go first?"

"Ah…" Razputin said, wracking his brain. "True Psychic Tales doesn't show what it's like inside of a mind. So… deeper?" He guessed.

"That's as good of an idea as any, I suppose." Augustus replied. The two of them walked down the street, empty of vehicles and staying wary of any ambushes from more censors. "There's a lot of road work…" He observed. There weren't any workers, but many roads were blocked off by signs and barricades, making the city much less open than it would otherwise be.

"Hey, that building has an open door!" Razputin said, running towards it. That sounds like a trap.

"Razputin! Wait!" Augustus shouted as he ran ahead of his son.

Once inside the skyscraper, it appeared to be an art gallery, filled with paintings. Each one depicted a gruesome death for Tanya. When either of them focused on one, it moved like a television program, showing the death in more detail. Augustus quickly picked up Razputin and covered his eyes.

One had Tanya wearing some kind of military jumpsuit, floating in the air with a set of binoculars. What must be a dozen men rushed her position and filled her full of bullets, finishing by decapitating her. A man's voice: "We crushed the spotter. Break away!"

Another had her standing with a glowing golden object in her hand, in front of a raving madman of a scientist. "I disabled the safety mechanisms!" He proclaimed before the object exploded.

Tanya was before a firing squad. "This is what you get for your cowardice!" Before being, once more, filled with bullets.

An older man had his pistol to Tanya's head. "Sorry, Tanya. But you disobeyed orders." And her brains were splattered.

Tanya in a bed in a room on fire, with screaming children as background noise. She erected a psychic shield, but it was shattered by a falling beam of wood, burying her in flaming rubble.

Tanya shooting something with a gun, a mad grin on her face. "Like this. Are you watching, Grantz? You do it like… this." before a terrified man behind her in the same uniform raised his own gun and shot her in the back of the head. That one was extra weird.

Tanya was obviously sick in bed, in a cot in a tent. The tent broke open, burying Tanya in snow.

Tanya is killed by a teenage girl glowing gold, torn apart with her bare hands.

Tanya, clearly starved and dying on the ground, getting torn apart by alley cats.

Tanya, lying catatonic, wearing a red dress that was probably nice before it got torn open, getting shot by a fat naked man.

The list went on. Dozens and dozens of grisly scenes depicted in startling realism. Razputin struggled in his arms. "Hey, Dad, let me go!"

"I'm sorry Razputin, I wouldn't want you to have any nightmares about this." Augustus said. "This is not easy to watch." He tilted his head in confusion. "But why would there be a gallery of her dying? Most of these are absurd." There were some… consistent details though. Was she a child soldier for the Soviets? The Gzar would do something like that in a second.

"I dunno." Razputin replied. "She always did seem kind of scared of everything." He seemed to have accepted that Augustus wasn't going to let him see anything here, just going limp.

After some further review, there were a few that didn't display Tanya dying. One had her covered in blood while laughing like a madman with shining golden eyes and a rapturous smile, a shining gold medallion illuminating the corpses surrounding her, each with a uniform that matched her own. Another had her trussed up, hanging from the ceiling in a straightjacket and sensory deprivation helmet. Another had the Director, being shoved in front of a train. That one… seemed different from the others in another way beyond depicting a different person. He couldn't put his finger on it.

"Let's go somewhere else." Augustus said, carrying his son outside the gallery of horrible deaths.

Off-balance from the visions within, he almost didn't notice the censors waiting outside for him, but the first one smacking him in the side with a stamp announced their presence well enough. He tossed his son upwards and then forwards like a shot put at one of the big ones, and Razputin easily curled into a ball between motions, kicking outward at the censor at exactly the right time to send it flying into another building, destroying the over muscled brute in a puff of smoke. "Aw yeah! Combo move!" Razputin announced after landing on his feet.

Just like before, the censors were a lot more competent than the ones in his family's heads, but he chalked that up to Tanya being a trained psychic rather than self-taught. Their numbers were also superior, but their strength… was not. They were just as flimsy as any others. His long-honed strength made mincemeat of the suited caricatures of men.

Razputin also accounted for himself quite well, which was less surprising the second time. After the last censor vanished, he started to do a little victory dance. Adorable. Augustus started to dance along, and they spent a minute or two celebrating their victory as father and son. "That was so cool!" Razputin exclaimed, vibrating with energy after that bit of exercise.

Well, it kind of was, wasn't it? "Well, let's see if we can find that rude Director person. I have a few things to say to him." Some of them are actual words, too. But he expects that his fists will be snappier with the quips.

"Yes!" Razputin said quietly, eagerly following.

Augustus observed the urban environment. There had to be a better way than wandering randomly. He has no experience in trying to delve deeply into someone's mind, so…

"Hey Dad, what are those, anyway?" Razputin asked, pointing at the floating chalk drawings that occasionally populated the place.

"I don't know, son." Augustus replied. "They're fairly normal, I think."

Razputin fearlessly swiped his arm at one, a drawing in the shape of a gun, pointed directly at the observer. It slurped into his body the instant he touched it. "That's nice!" Razputin declared. "It's… sweet? No, it's tasteless… It's like… a cheer! Yeah, it feels like a crowd cheering me on!"

Really? Augustus hopped up and touched one that was replacing a sign with a chalk drawing of that same sign. It probably said 'stay away from the Psychonauts', but in Chinese or whatever this language was. He was oddly sure of that, actually.

The drawing slurped into his body much like the other one did, and Augustus felt his fatigue lighten, the slight pain from the stamp impact immediately diminishing. Ah, it was replenishing his energy! "It's restoring my energy too, Razputin." He said, slowly so his son could learn the new word.

They spent a few minutes gathering the drawings, paying little attention to what they were but appreciating the pick me up. Augustus once more reviewed the environment. How was he supposed to find anything in this city?

His eyes unfocused, and in the distance, all but two of the buildings blurred into nothingness, with the streets beyond the ones leading to those two buildings equally meaningless. Blinking intently to dispel the illusion, he started walking towards one of them. Was that an illusion? Or was he seeing the truth of things?

Being a psychic sucked sometimes.

----------------

The second building of note was defended by more censors, but it was a token force, easily dispatched. Once inside, Augustus noticed that the place was absolutely filled with weapons. Swords, guns, cannons, some recognizable, some that seemed more… futuristic. There was a military plane hanging from the ceiling.

"Cool…" Razputin declared, fascinated by the military hardware.

Augustus' eyes unfocused again, and the entire room seemed to be soaked in blood, each weapon dripping with it. Blinking harshly, Augustus firmed his resolve as he went through the armory to the stairs. On impulse, he went downstairs into the basement rather than upstairs. He wasn't sure why, but he thought it was the way to go.

He went through the door, Raz at his heels, and found himself in a hallway with no ceiling. Instead, it was a blood-red sky above a dirt trench, with a thin layer of blood soaking the ground.

"Ew, this place is gross!" Raz declared, scrunching up his nose at the horrible stench. It smelled like rotten corpses, with an unidentifiable after-taste that Augustus couldn't quite identify. The sound of thunder rumbled through the walls. "Let's go through fast, I don't wanna be here when it rains."

Picking up the pace, the muted sounds of raindrops joined the thunder, but only the barest hint of falling dirt and drops of water came down on them.

Eventually, they found another door, this one rather fancy, a thick wood that was well-appointed. It wasn't locked, so Augustus opened it and urged Razputin inside before following him.

This room was an office, rather spartan but clean and organized. The office chair had Tanya inside it, unconscious, wearing what appeared to be a Psychonauts jumpsuit with a dress uniform's jacket laid over it. The jacket was festooned with silver medals, including an oversized hat holding back golden blonde hair. She had many golden lines criss-crossing her body, including a blob of it on her head and a larger one on her chest, from throat to stomach. It gave her uniform the appearance of being made of gold thread, if not for the borders of it. Her arms were clad in dull silver gauntlets, making her hands seem thrice the size, an impossibility if they were real. Above her head, on the wall, was a massive rifle that was built for… someone with hands that size, he supposed.

She was also bound by thin golden chains, a tiny, delicate lock positioned over her throat holding them all together. The chains were firmly attached to those golden lines, which reminded Augustus of the human pin cushion, back at the circus. Nice man, treated the bearded lady right.

In front of that desk, in a servile stance that quickly morphed into a protective one, was a curvaceous woman with teddy bear ears, wearing a uniform similar to Tanya's, but it wasn't a dress uniform, more functional. "Who are you?" The bear-woman asked, her voice lined with a deep growl.

"I could ask you the same question." Augustus quipped back. "But I am Augustus Aquato, acrobat extraordinaire! I am also young Tanya's current employer, so forgive me if I am concerned." Donatella was also already planning Tanya's wedding with Dion, but Augustus thought that was premature even before learning about Tanya's background.

"I am Corporal Viktoriya Ivanovna Serebryakov." She replied, a Russian name if Augustus had ever heard one. She glared at him. "Do not come closer. The Argent must stay asleep."

Hrm. Waking Tanya up will be a bit more complicated than it seems, he was getting the impression that the Corporal was a lot stronger than a censor was. She seemed young, an older teenager to early twenties. Was she Tanya's commander, if she was indeed a child soldier for the Soviets? Or… if this appearance was a memory, she could even be the child's mother, older in reality than here.

His instincts as a carny screamed at him to not piss off the mother bear. Razputin, on the other hand, had the survival instinct of a daredevil. His fault, really. "That's a cool gun!" Razputin declared, walking forward fearlessly to inspect it.

Instead of lashing out, the Corporal's angry face melted away into a maternal smile. "Aw, aren't you a cutie!" She declared, scooping Razputin up and giving him a big hug. Augustus snorted in laughter, but resisted the urge to actually laugh. For Razputin's sake.

"Dad! She feels like a giant stuffed animal!" Raputin complained. "I can't get out!" Really? She didn't feel like a person? That was strange… and potentially very sad.

"Miss, if you could let go of my son, please?" Augustus asked. "And why are you keeping Tanya bound in chains?"

The Corporal startled. "Oh, I'm sorry sir!" She said, setting Razputin down on a chair that wasn't there before she did so. She sat in a second suddenly-appearing chair and gestured to a third, sized for him. "Have a seat. Do you want some coffee?"

Well, maybe he could get some answers. "Yes, that sounds good." He said, settling into the chair. It wasn't particularly comfortable, but he usually sat on milk crates, so he didn't care. "Some milk for my son, please."

The woman conjured a pair of steaming mugs, one with milk and the other with coffee. Passing them out, she started to explain. "This isn't Tanya's main consciousness." She said, gesturing to the imprisoned girl. "The Argent is… well, the specifics aren't important." Augustus disagreed. "But to summarize, the Argent is only to awaken when there is no other option but violence. It's my duty to keep her safely asleep, so as to preserve human life, as well as Tanya's mental integrity."

"Mental integrity?" Augustus repeated, sipping at the coffee. "Wow, that's good coffee."

Viktoriya beamed. "Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, and sweet as love. Just how she likes it." Tanya must have a very poor opinion on the purity of angels, given how much milk and sugar was in this. Her expression softened. "You may have seen the cracks in the sky?" She asked. Augustus nodded. "The Argent's awakening amplifies Tanya's psychic abilities immensely. It's not healthy for a mind to handle that much power. It was worse before the Psychonauts put the Argent to bed." Ah, that explains why the flyer was so adamant that she not be threatened. This must be what they feared occurring.

"And who is this Director fellow?" Augustus asked. "Some kind of possession? Curse?" He was not qualified for this kind of thing!

Viktoriya shook her head sadly. "The Director of Mental Resources… beyond being a focal entity for Tanya's censors," She noticed that he was already lost. "Censors are supposed to attack thoughts that don't belong. Most relevantly, they attack mental intruders, anything from a mind that's not theirs. It's a natural defense against hostile telepaths." Digression over, she continued. "He's an old part of Tanya. Older than anything else that's not a memory. The Psychonauts have been healing Tanya, and he… well, he's next. He struck first, taking advantage of an opportunity to achieve something resembling victory against unbeatable odds…" She smiled. "It's something that Tanya's quite good at, you see. But… he's only a part of Tanya. He's scrambling, acting chaotically as he tries to figure out how to prevent the Psychonauts from…" She looked at the Argent's peaceful face. "...doing that to him. She looked quite different before the Psychonauts' assistance, it is difficult to say that they're the same being, although they are."

Augustus stared at the woman. Razputin managed to get his thoughts together before Augustus did. "So a part of Tanya's mind is fighting everything else?" He asked. "Isn't that.. Kind of.. weird?"

"Yes." Viktoriya agreed. "I'm just a collection of fond memories, so I don't really understand things like Tanya does, nor do I know everything she does. But this… this seems wrong." She sighed. "The Director's been grasping at everything he can, trying to… do something. I wish I knew. He wouldn't dare touch this place, though. She might wake up. So you'll be safe here. Do you know how to leave?"

Raputin answered proudly. "No!"

Viktoriya smiled. "A strong sensory shock will do the job. The Psychonauts use smelling salts." She withdraws a pair of wooden containers from her pocket. "This should allow you to leave, although only once, obviously. It's not real. Just pull it apart to open it and give it a sniff."

Hmm… Augustus examines the wooden containers for a moment. Then he brings one to Razputin's nose and breaks it open, causing the boy to vanish in a flash of light. "It works." Augustus said with a smile, pocketing the other set of smelling salts.

"That's for the best." Agreed Viktoriya. She was a very responsible young lady, which pointed more towards his theory of her being Tanya's mother. "Here, you'll need help to deal with them." She brought out a brilliant golden… pocket watch? There was a less impressive-looking device on her collar, as well as on the collar of Tan- err… The Argent. "Here, this will help you understand your telekinesis. The more violent skills… they're locked away still, but this one will help you in subtler ways." She held it out for him.

Well, he's trusted the mom-ery this far. He clutched the golden orb, and it replenished his strength entirely, and expanded it to. But more importantly, it showed him… how to fly. There was a lot more math involved in flying than he thought there would be. But in addition to mathematics far beyond his education (it was high school level math bare minimum), it unlocked whole new worlds of acrobatics to him, as weight and momentum were merely suggestions in the face of his psychic power.

He was unto an acrobatic god, with the greatest dream of man within his grasp! No, wait. That's the madness speaking. He really shouldn't have learned more about psychic powers. Augustus slapped himself to shake off the insanity. "Thank you." He said instead, politely.

"You'll need all the help you can get." She replied. "My only advice is to explain the essence of a Psychonaut. You're not here to fix Tanya."

Augustus raised his eyebrow. "I believe I am."

Viktoriya shook her head emphatically. "You can't. You would only break something if you tried. Psychonauts give people the strength to fight their own demons. Remember that. Fight the Director, weaken him… But don't you dare try to finish him off yourself. That kind of damage…" She looked back at The Argent. "Be grateful that she ran, chose flight, rather than the alternative. Think of Razputin, and how he's still in the blast radius."

Normally, Augustus would threaten anyone who said such a thing right back… but her tone… "Very well." He agreed. What would Tanya look like if she chose 'fight' rather than 'flight'?

"Now, the one thing the Director's done that I actually understand is the creation of a new mental subrealm. It's the building that has the train-filled crevice surrounding it. I don't know what he made it from, or how, but it's where he's spent the most time. If he's not at the top, just start smashing things. He'll show up."

Augustus nodded and started to leave. "Oh, one more thing." Viktoriya added. "Whatever he's doing in there will likely be very relevant. Be sure to take in the sights, although don't take things too literally."

Being psychic sucked. "Very well." He started running back through the fetid trench.

Chapter 25
[Augustus Aquato, Ringmaster of the Aquato's Flying Circus]

Okay, maybe being a Psychic isn't so bad. Once he got out to the wider terrain, Augustus tried out flight. It took him a minute to adjust the math-oriented power to his weight, but it allowed him to move so quickly…

He quickly realized that he was more comfortable merely lightening his body and leaping about, along with a few bursts of flight to change directions in mid-air. After getting used to his new mobility, Augustus made his way to the building that Viktoriya described.

The building was distinctly different to the surroundings. The other buildings were skyscrapers, yes, but they looked… a little more old fashioned. Still made of concrete, but with much less glass and metal. This one was nearly futuristic in its design, sleek. Most relevantly, it didn't have a single sign declaring that the Psychonauts should be avoided.

As Viktoriya said, it was surrounded by a trench, inside of which was a train going at high speeds. It was sticking out of the ground by about two meters, high enough that he wasn't entirely sure he could leap completely over its significant width from ground level… definitely without obviously augmenting his strength with psychic power, and even then it was a little bit chancy. With his new experience with flight? It was a trivial obstacle.

The censors on the inside… were much less threatening for some reason. They poured out in great numbers, but… there were tiny ones mixed in with the short ones, there were no heavies… and they moved stiffly and robotically. It was as if it was the same kind he'd find in Dion or Frazie's minds, unable to present significant resistance.

After easily dispatching the mental defenses, he looked up at the sky. Wait.. was it a different color? The cracks in the sky were gone, too. The ground felt a little different, too. It was like he was in a completely different place, all of those little atmospheric details that one normally ignored suddenly shifted, which made the hairs on the back of Augustus' neck stand on end.

Spooky. Augustus entered the skyscraper, only to find the place largely bare, with a single spiral staircase leading to the top. Drat. He started trudging up the stairs.

As he climbed, images appeared. Stills of what may or may not be memories showed themselves to him without prompting. A young boy of about seven, probably the Director, getting yelled at by Japanese parents. So the 'part of Tanya's mind' bit was bullshit. The next image showed a slightly older version of the boy getting yelled at, in exactly the same stance at the parents from before, by a copy of themselves in addition to the parents. The third removed the parents in addition to growing the child even more, to age twelve if he had to guess.

The next few slides showed the boy continually getting silver medals… ones exactly like most of the ones that garbed The Argent, alternating with the boy discarding the medals while being yelled at by his doppleganger.

Oddly, there weren't any of those chalk drawings about, like there was outside. Something told him that this was significant, somehow.

The boy was a man now, going to… college? Something like that. He was carrying an immense amount of books, more than any real quantity of them could be realistic. It must be a metaphor.

Augustus turned away from that image, only to find that the books had manifested into an impenetrable wall. He wasn't quite sure why he knew it was impenetrable, but a test punch, with the little bit extra oomph from the punching technique that was paired with the flight, like a boxing glove of psychic power, did absolutely nothing to the stack.

Maybe he could go around? He edged out over the staircase's safety rail, and when he made some progress, the books collapsed on top of him, sending him to the… floor? Why wasn't he falling several stories?

"Look man, this is going to send you to an early grave." Came a concerned sounding young man's voice. Getting up from the pile of books, Augustus looked around. It was a college dorm room, he was pretty sure. It didn't look a lot like that comedy movie's dorm room, but it was a single room with two college-age men present, at least.

"It's called taking my education seriously, Daikoku." Said one of the men. He was tapping away at some typewriter-like thing, maybe one of those fancy computers he's heard about? He thought it would be bigger. "Software engineering is a very competitive field, I can't slack off."

Wait, what was that smell? "Look, Deguchiya." Daikoku said. "Let me level with you: That's the kind of attitude that ends with you getting entombed by a black company, dead before forty. If you want to climb the corporate ladder, you need to network. I know your parents have been hounding you about that." He pulled out… a bottle of some kind. Was that alcohol? It smelled like it… "Even the engineers have to play the work culture game, Deguchiya. That means drinking and karaoke with the coworkers, and you don't want to be the guy who's never drank before. You're a big guy, too. Once you get used to it you'll be able to drink anyone under the table. So come on to the party with me. I know you're usually with the wargamers, but the cosplay group has way more fun. You'll have girls falling over themselves to get you out of your clothes and into…" He looks Deguchiya up and down. "Either a Spike or Vash the Stampede costume. Depends on how fun of a drunk you are."

A duplicate of Deguchiya appeared behind him. The duplicate twirled the Director's signature stamp in his hand. "This is exactly what was warned about. The lure of alcoholism, of peace and happiness unfettered by sensible things such as forward thinking or caution. One drink and you'll have wasted the whole evening, your memory impaired by that… poison. You must reject it, and work hard." After a moment, he added: "But be careful with your rejection. Daikoku's family is rather influential, and while talent and knowledge sells itself, antagonizing Mizuki is still a poor decision."

The boy, the real person who was hounded by the Director's contradictory advice, visibly panicked with the decision he had to make. Every time Deguchiya seemed to be about to make a decision, the Director immediately argued for the opposite option. It was pathetic to watch.

Eventually, Daikoku (Mizuki?) poured the alcohol, which was some kind of white liquid that stank too much of alcohol to be merely beer, into a tiny saucer, placing it in front of Deguchiya. "There really isn't a better time than now, Tenya. Live a little!" Tenya? That was… hrm. Something of a coincidence, isn't it?

The newly-named Tenya grabbed the saucer and drank it in one go, surprisingly not coughing as the liquid burned down his throat. "All right!" Mizuki said. "You have to give it a few minutes to kick in, but when you do, trust me, you're going to have a great time."

The Director bopped Tenya with his stamp. "You idiot! This evening could have been productive! And now you've wasted it! You'll never catch up to Hayano now."

Mizuki turned around and left the room, and Tenya stood up, ignoring the Director's haranguing. After taking two steps into the center of the room, he took a deep breath, and grabbed the Director by the face. Before the mental entity could comprehend what was happening, Tenya slammed its head into the wall, causing the entity to dissolve. Tenya hiccuped and walked out of the room after Mizuki. The scent of alcohol thickened, white fumes suddenly obscuring the room and swirling around Augustus.

After it vanished, Augustus found himself back on the staircase, the books cleared. The section in front of him was built differently than the previous section, with less hard angles and monochromatic designs and more curves and soft tones. It wasn't a huge difference in structure, but it made things look nothing alike.

Tenya's life story continued as Augustus ascended, the scent of alcohol never leaving. A picture of him leaving his mountain of books behind, a smile on his face. The man getting a job, with several images of him doing some office meeting with someone followed by him drinking with that person afterwards.

Eventually, there was a top to the staircase. How many floors had he walked up? Augustus wasn't sure. Inside the door at the top, it was a train station, with a second door standing right in front of the train, incongruously.

More censors were created in an attempt to stop him from advancing, but just like before, they were anemic in strength in comparison to the censors outside of this building. After they were dispatched, Augustus noticed a sickly… thing. It was made of metal, four legs with bands of metal somewhat like a ribcage protecting some clipboard-looking thing as it shuffled along. That looked important. It was trivial to fetch the object, as while it had teeth, it didn't seem to have anything resembling lips, or a jaw that closed. The clipboard had a little dongle attached to it, and lit up with a flickering display.

It was a title card, denoting it as 'Last words' With a tap, the title card turned into an image of Tenya at a desk, impassively watching an angry man leave his office. The next slide showed his hand shaking with fear, with the Director manifesting behind him, stamp ready to attack.

The next slide had Tenya grab a bottle from his desk, identical to the one from the memory, and the one after that had him take a quick swig. The Director was launched backwards, a table flipping from underneath him and pinning him to the ground. The second to last slide had another man, concerned. Tenya was clearly dismissive of whatever warning the man was conveying. The last slide was merely the front of a train, exactly like the one next to the door.

Well, whatever was behind that door was probably key to understanding how this came to be. He didn't know that going deeper into a mind was such a literal trip through memory lane…

On the other side of the door was… another hallway, wide with statues lining it, alternating sides. Well-appointed this time, and he wasn't sure why, but he got a distinctly 'happy' vibe from this room. These were pleasant memories.

The first one was of Tanya, about four years old. The Director was there, encouraging her to keep what she had in her hand secret. Upon close inspection, the object was bread.

The second statue was Tanya, maybe seven or eight, looking in horror at a document, with the Director frantically drawing complex charts and graphs, and a flow chart on a chalkboard. The Director had a savage grin on his face as he worked, clearly excited.

The third was Tanya in her military uniform, flying, with the Director watching her back, pointing out what were probably threats to keep her alive. "...I suppose he isn't all bad." Augustus admits to himself.

There were only three more statues. One was of Tanya hitting that soldier that, in the museum, had shot her in the back, with the Director pointing imperiously at him. Another was of Tanya panicking along with the Director when everyone in the background was celebrating, and the final one was of Tanya sick in bed, the Director fussing over her while keeping a fearful eye upwards.

The door at the end of the hallway had a curious design. It was an ornate piece of golden jewelery, set in silver that was shaped into mangled meat, stray broken ribs the only thing allowing Augustus to even tell what the hell it was.

Nevertheless, Augustus opened the morbidly designed door and went inside. The interior was a massive office, with grand paintings denoting what was probably a pair of timelines. The left showed Tanya, younger than the statues in the previous life, oddly enough, closing a cage on themselves, while the Director yelled at her. That timeline progressed with the cage, Tanya still inside, walking itself into a deep dark hole with cobwebs strewn about. It ended with a shining light, and a dark-skinned woman with a psychonauts badge breaking Tanya out of the cage. It ended with the cage broken and the background changed into… some kind of foundry? Something like that.

The second timeline was bordered with golden cracks, a savage rendition of Tanya, broken like porcelain with no discernable glue keeping it together but a golden contraption within the crater in her chest. It heavily resembled the door to this very room, but less gory. The savage Tanya swung her blood-red claws at the Director, who fought savagely for dominance. Then, another man showed up, dignified and serious and wearing a psychonauts badge, who plucked the heart of the demon wearing a little girl's broken skin. The last picture was of The Argent, chained and cracks filled in perfectly with gold. Come to think of it, weren't those the same psychonauts agents he saw fighting the Director? Viktoriya did mention that the Psychonauts were healing Tanya… was this a depiction of the process?

The two timelines met in the middle, directly behind the waiting Director at his desk. The mental entity seemed content to let him take in the atmosphere, though. The picture behind him was of Augustus and the Director facing off, although Augustus' image was… less than accurate. His skin was pallid, and he was wielding three spiked clubs for some reason.

Noticing Augustus' attention on the painting behind him, the Director chuckled. "This part of the story is not yet told." He began. "Welcome to my mind."

"It's not yours." Augustus retorted. "It's Tanya's."

"But it is." The Director said immediately. "It may be within that broken shell's mind, but it is a realm unto itself." The director adjusted his glasses, causing a flash of light to reflect off of them. "I will not submit to anyone who denies me existence! Not you, not the Psychonauts, not even God!" Something about the way he said God was strange, a tremor going through the room. Or perhaps… a shudder. Hrm.

Come to think of it, that would explain the different sky, if this place was a separate mind within Tanya's mind. Like a conjoined twin. Or a brain tumor. "So what are you?" Augustus asked. "Some kind of piece of that Tenya boy's mind that somehow found its way into a little girl?"

The Director snorted. "You don't understand a thing." He said dismissively. "I shouldn't be surprised, though. You genuinely believe that Hand of Galochio nonsense."

What? Hold on, maybe he knows… "Why did the curse suddenly work on Tanya?" He asked.

"Because I made it work on her." The Director continued. "She's quite the capable hydrokinetic, it's not like it's difficult. Same way it works on you."

Same way it works- "What? Do you know how the curse works?"

The Director sighed. It was a very particular sigh, that of someone resisting the urge to call someone an idiot. "It's a psychic power, you uneducated fool. It's not magic." Augustus would really like to dispute that assessment, but he was a high school dropout. "It's hypnosis. It turns your family's own hydrokinesis against you." He pulled out a sign from his desk, one of the 'Stay away from the Psychonauts' ones. He flexed his hand, creating a large stamp. He hit the sign with it, replacing 'Psychonauts' with 'Water'. "Look familiar?"

It did start to make sense. "But how would you break it?"

The Director hummed. "That's valuable information." He smiled. "Now that we understand each other, perhaps you would reconsider my offer? I'll even increase it: Not only will I tell you the dark secret that has been kept from you, but I will also provide you with my best ideas on how to cure your little curse problem." Augustus stilled. Could he? The Aquato family circus… with their water shows returned to them? "All you need to do… is leave. Turn back, and you will receive everything I know relevant to the subject."

Augustus took a deep breath as he contemplated the offer. He had no reason not to at least think about it. Could he do it? Does Tanya, and by extension this clown, actually know how psychic curses work? …But to do so, he'd have to leave that scared little girl to be eaten by this cancer of a mental busybody.

…No. How can he face Razputin, his family, if he sacrificed Tanya, even for that. They'd never speak to him again, and they'd be right to. With that one hint, he can probably manage to break the curse eventually. "Well, you certainly made a tempting offer…" Augustus said, acting friendly as he walked towards the man at the desk.

Before Augustus could surprise the entity, the Director launched his desk towards him at speed. Fortunately, he managed to jump over it. "Before I became self-aware, I was literally a manifestation of anxiety and paranoia. You're not going to surprise me with such a cheap ploy." The Director scolded him. Ah, so that's what is going on! Yeah, those pictures make a lot more sense with that context.

Augustus dodged and weaved through the Director's stamp attacks, striking back with the telekinetic boxing gloves on. But the size and reach advantages the Director had were significant, and the mental entity was skilled in a scrap; Augustus was taking more hits than he was dishing out.

…He was still winning, though. The Director's blows weren't weak, per say, but comparing that force to the flinches that Augustus prompted when he landed a blow on his opponent, they were definitely doing less damage than Augustus' strikes.

"You know," Augustus began, grunting as he brawled with the entity. "...it seems to me that it's a matter of you or her."

"She'd have died twenty times over if not for me." The Director replied. "If he listened to me, we wouldn't even be in this mess! They've had their chance, they owe me!"

"Yeah whatever, except: " Augustus said, punctuating his statement by punching the entity in the face, launching it at the painting. "I haven't known Tanya very long, but I'm not going to sit by and let some remnant of a dead man kill a little girl. That would be letting a murderer loose, after all."

The Director laughed at that. "Murderer? Is that how you see this? As murder? You cannot comprehend the scale of death orchestrated by her hands." The Director went low, leaning forward and leaping towards Augustus, stamp outstretched in an attack faster than any other that had been used in this battle.

Not fast enough. "And you're blameless for that. Right." Augustus leapt upwards, rebounding off the ceiling and smashing into the entity, feet-first. The floor shattered from the force, followed quickly by the ceiling and walls.

Augustus landed lightly on his feet, a quick backflip getting him some distance from his enemy. They were atop the skyscraper that was the sectioned-off mind, the rest of Tanya's mind still visible in the distance. In fact… upon further inspection there was a barely visible barrier separating this part of the mind from the rest of it. There was a single crack in that barrier, a line of dull red with a single golden spot breaking up the otherwise uniform red color, matching the ink on the Director's stamp.

"You fear what you cannot understand." The Director stated calmly as he rose from the crater Augustus left him in. He seemed put together, which was not good. "You grasp at the flimsiest justification to tell yourself that you're doing the right thing, ignoring any logic that could possibly make you wrong, or will have undesirable consequences, or collateral damage." Fear gripped Augustus' heart at the Director's words. What does he mean?

…No, he's just bluffing. Trying to rattle Augustus. It was working, but he needs to stay strong! He charged, but this exchange was much more in the Director's favor. Every instance of hesitation seemed to increase the Director's strength and speed, allowing him to strike thrice for every one that Augustus landed.

After a particularly nasty hit, Augustus sprawled on the desolate landscape. The Director took a breather, regarding him cautiously rather than going for the kill. "You can do it, Dad!" Came Razputin's voice, with a surge of energy.

Augustus kipped up with renewed energy, glancing around to see where his son was. "Don't worry Dad, we're still out here." Frazie's voice sounded out, with yet another rush of energy.

"I went and got Frazie to come help!" Razputin said helpfully.

Frazie finished the thought. "But I stopped him from diving in stupidly. We're sending you our mental energy, Dad." Okay, how did they learn how to do that? Was it Razputin's comic books?

Augustus ducked a sudden haymaker from the Director, reflexively giving him a quick combo of hits, knocking the man down with the sudden strength his children were loaning him. "I'm not just fighting for me, and for Tanya. I'm fighting for my whole family. How can I face them, as a man, if I let you out into the world?" Augustus shakes his head. "Not while I'm still on my feet." Augustus leapt onto his hands, gripping the ground and with a twist he swung both legs down on the prone entity like a hammer. The entire floor beneath them shattered under the force of his empowered strike.

The arena, now that the tower was a dozen feet shorter, was… more or less the same, but this room was clearly some kind of church before Augustus broke into it. There were two more streaks of dull color in the brighter sky, which was probably a good thing.

The Director didn't miss a beat before standing back up, his suit restoring itself before Augustus' eyes as the man adjusted his tie. "You seek to impress your children with your strength and virtue. Lie to them that you know what you're doing so that you can indoctrinate them into your self-loathing philosophy." Augustus winced. Put that way… that did sound bad, didn't it? "You call me evil, so that you may declare yourself good, and so you can kill me without fear."

"You're literally trying to take over the body of a young girl." Augustus observed. "I don't need to call you evil. It's self-evident."

"THEY'RE NOT!" The Director declared, resuming the battle, stamps in hand. "Young girls don't volunteer for the military! Young girls don't write logistics dissertations! Young girls don't make hardened veterans shit themselves with a damned glare! They always understood that, body aside, they were still a man!"

This conversation was quickly leaving Augustus' understanding of the situation. So… "And what's wrong with deciding otherwise?" He asked as he ducked and weaved away from the attacks. "I've met my fair share of women who were born men, there's nothing wrong with it."

"Because that gives that bastard X a win!" The Director roared, smashing his stamps together into a much larger stamp, a red X glowing an ominous gold as he lunged with it as if it was a spear.

Augustus leapt into the sky, the stamp blasting the altar apart with the impact as it exploded. Immune to the blast, the Director adjusted his suit some more as he tracked Augustus' movements while the dust settled. He flipped around and gently landed with a flamboyant pose, for an instant forgetting the dire stakes in the joy of flight.

"The brat may have declared victory over that upjumped spirit, but I haven't forgotten." The Director said, as if Augustus was supposed to know what he's talking about. "Everything they accept from that demon's curse is another step closer to defeat. Forgetting something so simple, so fundamental as their manhood… Submitting to childhood completely, disregarding the threat Being X still holds… I cannot accept this. I will not accept this! If you want something done right…. Just do it yourself!" He manifested more stamps, this time labeled 'REJECTED' and 'REDACTED'. "But first, to get rid of you!"

"Dad? Do you know what he's talking about?" Frazie asked as Augustus did a handstand on his enemy's head and flipped over, knocking the Director down.

"Not even a little." Augustus replied. This guy was crazy, and Tanya was crazier for having him in her head. If the Psychonauts told him that they were going to stick her in a padded room for her own safety, he'd truss her up himself at this point. Maybe she'll be less crazy if Augustus beats this guy up, maybe she'll go crazier. He doesn't care anymore. "I need a drink." He said to himself, forgetting who was listening to him.

"Hey! There's a bottle in the altar!" Raz pointed out. "If you're thirsty, there might be some juice in there!"

Augustus turned to the broken altar. Indeed, there was a bottle of sacramental wine sticking out of the wreckage. Logically, it should be shattered, but logic seems to be carefully rationed inside a mental world. He grabbed it, the cork popping off the instant Augustus gripped the neck, allowing him to take a deep pull of the alcohol without wasted time. It tasted like wine, although he wasn't quite sure what he was expecting other than that.

The world seemed to… melt a bit to his eyes. It wasn't the greatest description, but everything seemed… less. More fragile. Idly, he swung his fist at the charging Director, which landed right in the bastard's face and bent him over backwards, tumbling ass over teakettle to the middle of the room. "Thas right…" Augustus said, slightly slurring his words. "Alcohol is your weakness." He did learn that on the way here, didn't he? "Nothing like a little liquid courage to kick the ass of fear, huh?"

The Director was much slower to stand back up from that hit. His glasses were shattered, and he squinted his already slanted eyes even more. "Sure, nothing like trusting the luck of drunks and fools to keep you alive. That's sure to work." He snorted. "Oh wait."

"Ah, shaddup." Augustus said, throwing the wine bottle up in the sky. When its trajectory went above the recovering embodiment of fear, Augustus seized it with his telekinesis and sent it straight onto the bastard's head.

Not only did the bottle shatter, so did the ground beneath him, the entire floor of the building crumbling as the Director was given a taste of his old medicine. Another dozen feet vanished beneath their feet, and the cracks in the sky increased in size; now it was so damaged that it seemed a blend between the two skies rather than one overtaking another. The new terrain was mostly ruins, but seemed vaguely… hospital-like. Or prison-like. Maybe both.

"Now, I don't understand the relationship you have with Tanya." Augustus began as the Director peeled himself off the ground. "But what I do understand is Fatherhood." He started walking towards the recovering asshole. "It seems to me that Tanya's just wanting to start fresh, leave the bad stuff behind. And seeing as how you're part of that 'bad stuff', you have a problem with that."

"I kept that idiot alive!" The Director insisted. Augustus kicked him in the face, knocking him back down.

"Good job!" Augustus said sarcastically. "That doesn't mean anything. Do you think I've never worried about one of my children deciding that they don't want to be in the circus and run off?" He spat to the side. "Of course I have! But if that day comes, it comes. I don't have the right to stop them." Augustus spread his arms wide. "This is America! I spent the first thirteen years of my life in Grulovia. Did I like it there? Yes. I didn't know any better. Now? With the benefit of hindsight? I never want to set foot in that place again." He kicked the man again, flinging him to the edge of the arena. "This is the land of the free! I've been fortunate in that all of my children seem to enjoy performing like I do, but if that was to change…" Razputin… He probably will want to join those Psychonauts… Those damned psychics. "I can only support them as much as I can." Those damned psychics who can probably break the Galochio's curse, if even Tanya knows enough to identify how it works, even if the Director was very careful to not claim that he knew how to cure it.

…They couldn't possibly be all that bad if this bastard wants Tanya to stay away from them. Not after his selfish explanation as to why he did that.

The Director managed to find his feet before Augustus was able to approach him again. "You're just a brute." He accused. "Platitudes don't matter in the face of real problems. The kinds of problems I've spent sixty years protecting that blockhead from dismissing. Nothing you say will change the fact that you're here to murder me, a man who only wishes to live free."

Again with the accusations? He's like a broken record… who can see what's bothering Augustus most about this battle. Did he really have the right to intervene here? No, he really didn't. But that's not going to stop him. Viktoriya made sure to mention that he was a part of Tanya, and killing him will actually cause problems instead of fixing them…

Psychonauts give people the strength to fight their own demons… "You're right." Augustus declared.

"...Really?" The Director asked, caught off guard before becoming defensive. "No, you're trying to trick me."

"No, you're right. I don't have the right to kill you." Augustus said sincerely. He rushed forward, grabbed the bastard by his tie, and smashed him into the ground, destroying yet another floor of the tower. The sky shattered, completely exposing the Director's tower to the cracked skies of Tanya's mind. "Her, on the other hand…" He said. He can't believe that worked!

Censors poured out of doors that suddenly opened in the air. He hopes this works… "Hey censors!" He shouted. "This guy looks like he came from a different mind, right? He doesn't look like he belongs here."

The Director scoffed from his position on the ground. "Preposterous. I'm in charge here!" He shouted.

"No." Said one of the censors, in what Augustus now realized was a distorted version of Tanya's voice. The Director paled as the censors approached his prone form, stamps ready. Faintly, from all around, Tanya's voice clearly echoed out. "Your acts of industrial sabotage have provided us adequate cause to terminate you, effective immediately. Please stamp the provided document to signal your acceptance of your severance package. If you do not, our legal team will get in touch."

"Watch out!" Razputin shouted. Ah. Of course. They weren't ignoring Augustus, why would they? He was way too tired to beat this many… Time to go. He took out the smelling salts and cracked them open, taking a big whiff. Ugh!

This story is just dripping with such rich metaphor that I can honestly view it as a Psychonauts game in my head. It's like it's a level from the second game which I had simply forgotten. Some complex mess of a mind like Ford Cruller's... which makes sense, Tanya is nearly as old as he is and has experienced at least as much trauma. You can't actually wallpaper over madness with psychic power, it just means instead of therapy you need Super Therapy.

Edit: Also, Augustus is a really nice dude.

Chapter 26
Just as a heads up, I'm going to delay the public release of the second Psychoprotective sidestory by two days, so the final Book 1 chapter and the sidestory aren't released literally at the same time, give everyone a chance to comment and process chapter 27 before the sidestory stuff. It will, however, be released today on the patreon. If you sign up as one, you would also get all kinds of other bennies, like chapter 27, the first three chapters of book 2, and the ability to vote on the next monthly release.

Enjoy.

---------------------------

Tanya opened her eyes. Agh, her head was pounding. She was back at the circus, in the giant bed where the Aquato family all slept together. On her left, Donatella's pregnant belly pinned Tanya down as the woman hugged her close. On Tanya's right, Augustus wrapped his muscular arms around the both of them. Tanya was wrapped in the blanket she had brought with her, restraint and comfort in one. Everyone but her was asleep.

…It was nice, if foolishly idealistic on the Aquato's part. He shouldn't have assumed she would be okay with this position. But unlike the last time Tanya found herself in this kind of situation, she couldn't just go back to sleep. Not unless she wanted to ruin their bedspread, anyway.

With some careful telekinesis, she managed to slip out by leaving the blanket behind. After recovering from the sudden dizziness standing up inflicted, she answered nature's call and settled herself down on the top of the structure where the Aquatos were sleeping, looking up at the stars. What to do now? She needed to sta-NO. She needed to return to the Psychonauts. Presumably, Mom will eventually try and contact her again… Or she could try and figure out how to contact Mom herself. Ugh, even thinking about that hurts.

How late at night was it, anyway? From the position of Ursa Major… About eleven at night. Not that late. She must have been out for… about three hours? Something like that. She never really appreciated the fact that the stars were all in the same positions in all three of her lives until now. Or, at least, similar enough that the constellations were more or less the same and you could still navigate with Polaris. She only learned to tell time by the stars in officer's training, and it would have been rather embarrassing if she tried to tell time and failed to recognize anything. Was her first life like that? She couldn't be sure. Ow.

Should she just fly to the Motherlobe? Or ask Mom to come get her? Razputin would likely love meeting "Agent Vodello"… assuming that the boy has read any comic published this year. Tanya saw his collection, she got the impression that it was all older stuff.

But given Marona Aquato's true identity… it may be advisable to avoid getting any Psychonauts attention on the Aquatos. She needs to-NO. Now, assuming that Agent Cruller shattered his own mind again, he might get set off if he hears the name. The only way to guarantee that doesn't happen is to not say it to Mom at all. Yes… that seems like a good plan.

Ah, a slight nudge from Mom. Painful, but any psychic contact would have likely been just as bad. Tanya immediately welcomed the light intrusion into her mind, and focused on that presence to bring herself into her mind as well.

----------------

"Tanya… what happened here?" Were the first words that Mom asked of her when Tanya met her within her mind. She looked at the damage that the battle inflicted with horror.

"Blame Agent Cruller." Tanya said bitterly as she looked on at the damage herself. Her mind was still in the Japanese cityscape that it was twisted to, with censors still swarming over the buildings, stamping every hypnotic statement they can find. "I'll need some time to clean things up, I think." It would probably involve tearing all of this down and starting from scratch.

"Tanya, you usually see this kind of damage in people with psychically active brain tumors." Mom said, placing extra emphasis on the prognosis. "What is that?" She said, pointing to the shattered segment of mind that was the centerpiece of the whole disaster.

After a moment of thought, Tanya shrugged. "Where the psychic tumor used to be, I suppose." Mom did not appreciate her turn of phrase, from her profoundly disappointed look. "My recollection of the last few hours is not very good." Tanya admitted. "From what I can gather of what I do recall, a portion of my mind gained self-awareness and rebelled, attempting to form their own separate mind by consuming large swathes of mine."

"That… does line up with what we saw when me and Sasha last got inside." Mom conceded, although very unhappy with that admission. "I've never even heard of something like that happening before, but that was Sasha's theory as to what that entity meant when he said he was 'Alive'." She turned to the desolate pile of rubble. "What part was he?"

Tanya hummed. "Well… I should introduce you, I suppose." Tanya snapped her fingers, summoning her newest mental assistant. The being that appeared looked like Tanya, of course, with some robotic flourishes making clear her gynoid nature. She was wearing a business suit, and had glasses, much like the Director from which she was formed. "This is the Strategic Assessment and Risk Analyst. You can call her Sara for short." Sara bowed politely, mechanically. For now, she'll be a bastion of logic in Tanya's new, more emotional mindscape.

Mom immediately understood Tanya's indirect admission. "Your paranoia got away from you." Her eyes narrowed. "Literally."

Tanya nodded. "That's a good summary, yes. The Director also represented a few… other confusing bits, mixed in with some good old fashioned spite. I learned quite a bit more about myself in the last few hours." Tanya pursed her lips as she dwelled on some of those recently unlocked memories. Drinking at the office, no matter how small the dosage, was really crossing a line, in hindsight. One labeled 'diagnostic criteria for alcoholism'. At least she'll be able to get that engineering degree this time around.

Mom nodded understandingly. "Nothing with the mind is simple, Tanya. You can't just decide how you feel, most of the time."

"Indeed." Tanya said. "I'll be thorough this time, when I'm reorganizing the place. Take it slow, do it right." Set off any other landmines that are waiting in the wings. That… should be all of them, but that just leaves the remainder as unknown unknowns.

"I'm not going to let you out of my sight until you're done." Mom said, smiling widely but with a hard edge to her voice.

"That's fair." Tanya allowed. "I won't start until I get back. I'll leave for the Motherlobe after breakfast, should take me…" Tanya did some calculations. "About seven hours of full speed flight."

"Where are you, anyway?" Mom asked. "I could get the jet and fly there overnight."

"That won't be necessary." Tanya said. Mom was not important enough to be able to borrow the jet for personal reasons without expending an obscene amount of political capital. "I found some temporary work at a small family business, and am staying with them for the time being. It's not a place where a government plane would be a welcome sight. That was why I stayed, after all." Even if the Psychonauts were not technically a part of the United States government, it was an immaterial difference to the layman. Quite frankly, there were actual Psychonauts who didn't understand the difference. It functionally was the psychic law enforcement agency of the country, but it's technically psychic Interpol, not the psychic FBI. It just… acted like the psychic FBI when the USA allowed it. Which was always. It was a bit of an international relations nightmare, and Tanya didn't know how it didn't collapse, but it seemed to work.

Mom frowned. "Are you safe?" She asked.

Tanya smiled at the question. She's never been asked that question before, with that mixture of concern and trust. It was nice. "I am." She confirmed, adamantly refusing to acknowledge Nona as a threat. She looked at the terrain, noting the whole world pulsing with the beat of her heart. It was painful just watching it… "I'll leave as soon as I can say my goodbyes. I promise."

Mom chewed on her lip as she thought about the situation. "I'll leave behind a small bit of myself to maintain the connection." Mom eventually said. "Just take a sniff of…" She paused in thought. "I did put some talcum powder in your bag. Smell that to call me." Ah, right. Tanya blushed at the thought of that particular plastic bag she found in her luggage. Mom smiled mischievously at Tanya's embarrassment.

"U-understood." Tanya said, leaping out of her mind before Mom could start teasing her.

----------------

It only took a few more minutes of staying very still and looking at the stars before she was interrupted. "How're ya doin?" Asked Dion, who was, surprisingly, one of the earlier risers of the family.

Tanya winced at the noise. Ugh, worse than a hangover... "I feel like my brain is dribbling out my ears…" She said honestly.

"Been there." Dion said sympathetically. "Math sucks." Tanya chuckled at the joke.

Ow. It hurts to laugh. "It's a little more serious than that, I'm afraid." Tanya said. "I'll be able to get treatment back home." Given that there was supposed to be a week of taking things easy before she got hit by Agent Cruller's boobytrapped head, she expected this to take at least two. Good news was, that time would include Mom being around full time to take care of her, which was definitely something to look forward to.

"So you're leaving?" Dion asked, his voice hurt.

"I don't know what your father has told you…" Tanya replied. "...but it's complicated. I didn't want to leave home, but I was convinced I had to." There was that almost-empty jar of pickles in the pantry cart… That should help her headache. Hopefully Donatella won't beat her to it.

"...that doesn't make any sense." Dion said.

"It doesn't have to." Tanya snapped, heat pooling in her hands as she prepared to discipline this insubordinate- before pausing to calm down. What was that? "I can't stay here, that's the important part." She finished.

A moment of companionable silence passed between the two of them before it was ruined. "...wanna kiss?" Dion asked, attempting a rakish grin.

"Ew, no!" Tanya immediately replied, recoiling in disgust before clutching their head. "Ow, ow, ow." Too much emotion. Head hurts. Ow. Damn children…

----------------

"So, I thank you for your hospitality, but I must go." Tanya finished, bowing ever so slightly in a remnant of Japanese etiquette. She'd have bowed deeper, but even that little made her headache worse.

Razputin hugged Tanya's leg. "Don't go!" He exclaimed, tears in his eyes. "You need to teach me psychic stuff! You promised!" She did no such thing.

"Razputin, I must." Tanya insisted. "Once you learn to read better, and write too, we can exchange letters." She's seen Augustus go over mail, so they clearly have some sort of arrangement with the post office… "Once you're older, I'll see what I can arrange." Should she tell them about the summer camp? It's still technically classified… "I'll see if I can send you some True Psychic Tales, fresh off the presses."

That seemed to appease the crying child. "Y-you promise?" He asked, sniffling.

"Yes, it shouldn't be difficult." Particularly as she's not committing to any specific quantity. Worst case, she'll just buy a dozen issues and send them along. They're only thirty cents each. Comic books are not an expensive hobby.

Augustus pulled Razputin away from Tanya's leg. "Well, if you want any help getting home, we'll be happy to provide it." He offered.

Well, she was planning on just flying, so… "That…"

"-nya?" Augustus asked, shaking her shoulder. What just happened? "Oh, you're back." Augustus said.

Something was irritating her nose. Tanya grabbed a napkin and blew her nose with it, checking it to see… okay, no blood. That was a relief. "What happened?" Tanya asked.

Frazie answered the question first. "You just kind of spaced out. Lights were on, but nobody was home."

"It looked like a dissociative episode to me." Nona said, startling people with her seriousness and elocution. "It's a bad sign after Gussie's punchup inside your head. Maybe some intracranial bleeding, but it's probably just an associative detachment or five. You need to see a doctor. Get your head looked at." Everyone glanced at her in confusion after seeing psychic-specific medical terminology come out of the old woman's mouth, but given that she is secretly one of the Psychic Seven, Tanya was only mildly surprised she remembered that kind of thing. "I used to know a good one… I think."

Well. "...On second thought, if you could drop me off at the nearest Psychonauts office, they'll be able to take things from there." Tanya said after picturing one of those episodes happening when she was two hundred meters in the air. "There was a branch office in the last town, but there's another one seventy miles further down I-40, across the state line." Those tiny branch offices were really more logistical stations than anything else. Practically a truck stop. It would probably be abandoned once the anticipated budget cuts that Congress has been talking about come into effect. But they had phones with access to the Motherlobe's direct office lines and a landing pad for the jet. The psitanium engine made any craft a VTOL, so it was really more a giant parking spot than anything resembling a runway.

Augustus stood up, putting away his empty plate. "Well, we should get going then. Donatella, go ask Payne to run the first show of the day. Get as much help as you can. I'll be back in four hours."

Once she was settled into the front seat of the pickup truck, Tanya dug through her bag. "What are you doing?" Augustus asked as she fished out the talcum powder.

"Eh, Mom put an alarm in my head last night." Tanya explained. "If I smell this, she'll know I need to tell her something and project herself across the connection."

"...I understood maybe half of that." Augustus admits.

"I'm calling Mom on my psychic phone. She set her phone number to the smell of talcum powder." Tanya clarified before gently squeezing the bottle, sniffing the resulting cloud of dust. Much more pleasant than smelling salts.

After a few seconds, Tanya felt Mom's presence. "Tanya? Is there a change of plans?" It was like she was right by Tanya's ear, whispering. She could sort of make out Mom's face in her peripheral vision, too. It was a strange variation on telepathic communication, but to be a psychic is to become used to strangeness.

"I'm not sure I can fly that far right now." Tanya admitted, tears inexplicably welling up as she relaxed. Mom was here. "I'm getting a ride to the Psychonauts base near the border of Virginia and Tennessee, on I-40."

"I'm on my way. I love you."

----------------

[May Daye aka Mary Sioux]

Degurechaff's mom was nice. Part of her wanted to cry at the news that this life's parents had mysteriously vanished, but they stuck her in the nuthouse, so another part of her hoped that they got themselves shot by Imperials.

Miss Milla, on the other hand, was incensed that they had "abandoned" her, and that was pretty cool. Mary did think it was perhaps a bit soon to go that far, but she wasn't going to discourage Miss Milla from treating her nicely because of it.

She decided that she liked this flavor of gum as she blew a bubble. The Dayes were incredibly opposed to anything the pastor said was the work of the Devil that week, and while yes, God was always watching and you needed to act righteously to enter the Kingdom of Heaven… Mary was pretty sure he didn't care about spicy gum. She had met him, after all.

Also… she wasn't so sure he was watching anymore. Mary wasn't so prideful that she assumed she could call on God whenever she wanted just because she was on a holy mission… but something like 'I found Degurechaff' probably merited some kind of response?

At least she was sure that her blessings were intact. God had mentioned that the holy blessings she was given to contest Degurechaff's power would be in this life, too, but she never dared test the one that let her regrow an arm. It took another review of that memory, but that was definitely what happened before Tanya started bringing out her own holy blessing.

The fact that Degurechaff was also on a mission from God, even if she didn't want to be, and probably actively avoided trying to complete it, explained perfectly why Mary died. It was somewhat less useful in explaining how God could 'lose' her, but Mary liked to think of it as her being blessed enough to see a little behind the curtain.

God was not all powerful, as he could have problems, one that he needed her to fix. God was not all knowing, as he could lose track of a soul. She used to think that he was still benevolent… but the anger, the disappointment, the hurt in Degurechaff's voice…

Mary had started reading her Bible, ever since Miss Milla placed her within the apartment that she lived in with Degurechaff. Her room was… pretty much what she'd expect from Degurechaff, actually. At least, after getting to know her a little better during the camp. It was rather barren, with a bed, desk, and dresser. There was very little childish about it, with few exceptions. Even those were things like her pink hairbrush with the ribbon on it, or a few outfits that languished at the bottom of drawers or in otherwise unfavored positions in the closet. Things that were definitely gifts, not things Degurechaff would pick out for herself.

There were a surprisingly large number of places in the Bible where God just… did things to people. Things that, thinking about it, kind of sucked to have happen to you. Sure, some of them were richly-deserved wrath, but other times…

She tried to imagine Degurechaff getting visited by God as she died, some thirty-two year old woman. He tells her that she was chosen for a holy quest, reincarnated with her memories intact for… tracking down some heretic? But who?

If she assumes that Tanya had the same blessings she did… no wait, the injury she took at Norden. She couldn't possibly have the same healing blessing that Mary has. This is hard.

Still, Degurechaff was supposed to be returning today. Miss Milla had left to go pick her up from… wherever she flew off to. Mary doesn't really understand what the hell was going on there. She was fine after she fixed Mr. Cook, but when she meditated to 'finish the job'... she started hallucinating or something, terrified out of her wits and firing a PSI blast right in Mary's face. It wasn't full strength as she still had a head, but if she didn't have that healing blessing… Well, she did, so it wasn't worth thinking about.

Mary had passed the time by messing around with some toys she found in a box at the back of Degurechaff's closet. It was mostly green army men (the bucket they came in called them that) and some odd plastic triangle-shaped planes, so she decided to recreate one of the battles on the Southern Continent, one where she didn't get to fight Degurechaff.

"Pshhhhh, boom!" She said as she crashed the Imperial plane she killed onto the Imperial formations. "We have air superiority!" She declared, giggling. "The Imperial mages are fleeing! Commence artillery spells!" Mary didn't know how Tanya managed to get reasonable replicas of aerial mage flight suits for her two fashion dolls, but they were handy for this. "Boom, boom! The Imperials are in full retreat, the battle is won! For a free Francois!" Mary giggled as she flicked the few remaining Imperial army men away from the battlefield.

Ugh… she was going to have to pick those things back up, wasn't she? Well, she could use it as telekinesis practice. A tiny golden hand manifested around each toy as she called it to her, placing it back into the bucket. She was done with the army men.

Boooooooored… Miss Milla's been gone since breakfast, and it's… two in the afternoon? She should cook something.

Learning to cook by absorbing it from someone's mind was, at times, rather strange. She occasionally got flashes of stray emotion or memory when she did something new, although that had slowed down as she practiced, as it never happened when she did something that she had done previously. Miss Milla said that was a normal side-effect.

That said, Miss Milla also didn't go grocery shopping yet in favor of her frantic search for Degurechaff, so the pantry was getting pretty barren, even with Miss Milla ordering takeout instead of cooking six times since she got here. If Mary was a real six year old, with her adult self looking at the situation, she'd have a thing or two to say about leaving the six year old alone for this long… but she wasn't actually six, and Miss Milla knew that, so it was fine.

Mary ended up using the last of… pretty much everything, to make herself some french toast and butter noodles, along with the last apple. Well, she actually made way too much, because her eyes were much bigger than her stomach. She made an adult portion without thinking about it, and unlike the last time this happened, she couldn't just pass it off as making food for Miss Milla too.

The sound of the door unlocking interrupted Mary's thoughts. Or can she? Mary quickly took the excess food and put pot lids on the plates. Miss Milla entered the apartment carrying a… sleeping? Degurechaff. A pink telekinesis hand helped her support the smaller girl's weight, and a second one appeared and between them set her down on the couch. A third hand carried Degurechaff's luggage.

Degurechaff was wearing a very familiar gown. Paper-thin and a light blue color, it was exactly the thing they gave to patients at the asylum, like a hospital gown but without being open in the back. Disposable and sterile, easily torn if needed.

"Welcome back." Mary said. "I made lunch! I've been keeping it warm for you." She lied.

Miss Milla looked tired, but smiled at Mary's 'consideration'. "Thank you, Mary. Did you make enough for Tanya?"

At least she didn't need to lie here. "I made all that was left." She said. "We're kind of… out of food now."

Miss Milla looked surprised, but then thought for a moment. "Oh, I forgot to go shopping. I hope you can forgive me, Mary. I've just been so very worried for Tanya."

"It's fine." Mary lied. Left alone in a strange apartment she's not allowed to leave with diminishing supplies? Of course it's fine. "We just need to fix that today." She looked at Degurechaff. "...Is she okay?"

Miss Milla started eating the food. "No." She said simply after swallowing the first bite. "We're working on it, though. She's going to be fine."

Oh. This was probably her fault, wasn't it? "...What happened?" Mary asked.

"Ah, she tripped some kind of mental landmine Ford had in his head." Miss Milla explained after finishing the french toast. "I shouldn't go into much detail, but she was in a constant state of panic for several days." She paused to eat a bit more. "Long story short, the help she found for her condition was… not gentle. Her mind was already rather fragile after… well, you know." Mary nodded grimly. Even with the knowledge that Tanya really was older than Mary was, Mary really shouldn't have pushed her like that. "So, we have to take things slow and make sure that she's put together correctly. It's not as bad as Ford's condition, but it's somewhat similar in nature."

Oh dear. She'd pray for Tanya, but given what happened last time… She better not. "How long is it going to take?"

Miss Milla finished the last of the food, primly dabbing at her lips with a napkin before starting to clean up. "It's difficult to say." She hedged. "It could take a day or a month. Eventually, our work will pass a tipping point and the damage will just… fix itself." Oh, like how Mr. Park Ranger's mind pulled itself together after Tanya put all those pieces in one place. "I expect that it will be multiple weeks, though. I'm working on it now."

Oh right, that thing Agent Nein was doing when he was facing the Devil of the Rhine. "Oh, so you're not really here?"

"Most of me is helping Tanya in her head." Miss Milla confirmed. Mary glanced at the girl in question, unmoving from the couch and with a trail of drool pooling under her head. "She was given a nutrient-heavy protein shake before we began the treatment, so don't worry about her lunch." Was that the same oatmeal-like sludge they fed her at the asylum? That's what they called it there too. Poor Degurechaff.

Briefly, Mary opened up her mind to Degurechaff's, attempting to read what was going on. Degurechaff's conversation with Miss Milla within her head immediately became audible. "-ell, it's embarrassing. No one's going to respect me if they know." She said. Damn, she must have missed something juicy.

"Tanya, you should never feel shame about wanting to be loved. Everyone wants that. Anything that gets linked to 'Mom's love' in your head is my fault anyway, so I take full responsibility." Miss Milla said consolingly. Aw, she's embarrassed by how much she loves her mommy, that's adorable. "More importantly, this is not the time to be trimming your associative network, any of it. I agreed to cut that one earlier because relapsing to alcohol as a coping mechanism is all kinds of unhealthy, but we need to be building connections, not cutting them. After you're all better, if you still feel the same way, then we'll talk." She was a drunkard too? This is great.

"How did that connection survive, anyway? Sure, there were several times where I wanted a drink during the war, but one would think it had atrophied." Degurechaff said, slightly changing the subject.

"It was buried deep in your subconscious, where it would only rarely surface." Miss Milla explained. "But after what happened, nothing's buried anymore. After dismantling the damaged sections, everything's just floating around, which is half the problem. You have stray impulses just going everywhere."

"Is that why I keep defaulting to Japanese manners? In that case, perhaps we should just move on to a less fraught topic." Degurechaff said, changing the subject entirely. "I'm pretty sure that 'flight' is supposed to be connected to more than just 'fun'."

"Well, yes, that one's pretty obvious. An easy-" Mary's eavesdropping was suddenly interrupted by Miss Milla's actual voice. "Stop that!" That's very rude of you."

Mary winced. "I'm sorry…" She said insincerely.

Miss Milla didn't seem to believe her. "Well, time to go shopping." She picked Degurechaff back up telekinetically. "...I shouldn't have rejected the wheelchair." She murmured to herself before going into a cross-legged stance while floating in the air and settling Tanya down on her lap. "Yes, this works."

"...Why don't we just leave her here?" Mary asked.

Miss Milla shook her head. "I shouldn't leave her alone. But…" She spent a moment thinking about it. "...I need more brainpower." She said after a while. Psychic energy erupted from Degurechaff's head, sinking into Miss MIlla's head.

Degurechaff jerked awake, then clutched her head. "Ah, why does it hurt more?" She whined.

"That's why we have to take things slow, Tanya." Miss Milla replied. "We were overdue for a break anyway." Degurechaff grunted in effort, actually acting like a kid for once, and tried and failed to sit up in Miss Milla's lap. She helped Degurechaff sit up and hugged her closely. Degurechaff hugged back, whining in pain. "Shhh… everything's going to be fine, Tanya. I'm still here."

…This was super awkward to watch. Apparently, Degurechaff acts her age (wait, isn't she supposed to be twelve?) when she's sick. Eventually, Miss Milla set Degurechaff up with a big glass of water mixed in with some pickle brine (ew), put some kind of psychic earmuffs on her head, wrapped her up in a blanket like a burrito, then stashed her in the linen closet buried in a pile of towels to suffer her headache in utter silence for the half hour it would take for the two of them to get groceries.

Mary hoped Tanya would get better soon.

Chapter 27 (End of Book 1)
This is the end of Book 1. There will be no break, next week will go straight into Book 2.

Thank you to everyone who supported me when I was writing this, my greatest writing project yet.

Book 2 is going to be a bit lazier, more slice of life scenes. Hopefully y'all will enjoy it.

-----------------------------

As it turned out, having a brute of a circus ringmaster punch apart a large chunk of your mind because it was trying to rebel, while effective, was not something that could happen consequence-free. It made Tanya feel a little better for not telling him about "Marona's" true identity. He refused to listen, so it wasn't like she didn't offer, but still…

After going overboard the first day, they got into a rhythm. Three hour sessions, twice a day. Within those sessions, it was a combination of ordinary therapy and psychic reconstructive surgery.

"They gave me the medal for the bravest, most violently successful soldier, and what did they do to advertise it? They turned me into a doll! Dressed me like I was an ordinary little girl!" Tanya ranted as Mom reviewed the aggravating memory. "No, not an ordinary girl. That would imply that I was somewhat prepared for it. No, they dressed me like the daughter of nobility! Like a princess! The kind of person who volunteers out of a sense of duty and gratitude for their otherwise favorable position in life." Tanya unleashed a massive wave of fire onto the memory, which did absolutely nothing.

"Hmm… Tell me, why did you volunteer?" Mom asked, patiently.

Calm down. This was a lifetime ago. "I was eight, at the time." Tanya explained, taking deep breaths. "The imperial inspectors had just come by, testing all the children for magic potential. The nuns dressed it up, of course. That getting a good score would help you get adopted by a nice family. Lies. The ones who got a high score, like me?" Tanya laughed dryly. "They got notices of future conscription. It was before the first World War, over a decade overdue. The odds of no draft occurring within fifteen years was essentially zero." Tanya spat in disgust. "The Empire, in its infinite wisdom, declared that the only thing I was good for was killing enemies. That I would only have the freedom they allowed me as long as there were insufficient enemies to satiate the bloodlust of the standing forces." That particular turn of phrase was colorful enough to break Mom's composure, a little bit. "So I shot for Officer's school. I did very well, and graduated right on time for the war's beginning a year and change later. But you already know that part of the story." Her rant drew one of the many memory bubbles that floated haphazardly in her mind closer to her. As expected, it was the one where she got the conscription notice.

"So the question is: why was being dressed as a noble so aggravating? You were just following orders, right?" Mom asked, carefully expanding the conscription memory and folding it up to be placed in its proper place. There wasn't anything more to say about it.

Tanya began to answer, then paused. No, that only came later… as Tanya thought, a network of dots with lines connecting them started to manifest. It was her associative network, the underlying structure of her thought processes. In more hostile interactions, a psychonaut could do some serious mental alterations by making and breaking connections, which had a significant chance of snowballing into some wild insanity if they connected the wrong things. Either way, it was only accessible if brought to the surface through thought-provoking activities, like questions. Tanya glanced upward at the network, seeing the concepts involved.

'Respect' attached to 'dangerous', 'hierarchy', and… 'masculine'?. Ah. "My first thought…" Tanya said, looking at the other parts that were there. It was frequently unpleasant to see your own thought processes, but they always, without exception, always made sense. "Was that because of the way they portrayed me, most people believed that I didn't earn the medal. That it was pure propaganda. The only ones who did were the true patriots who couldn't imagine the General Staff passing out a bogus medal. Granted, you couldn't swing a shovel without hitting that flavor of idiot…" Tanya took a deep breath. "But… at the time, I was upset because it was the first time that being a girl became something I could only suffer through." Every time before, it was either irrelevant, coddling that was annoying but pleasant, or she could compensate somehow, like bringing coffee to the other cadets when the preferential treatment of the female cadets bothered her. But then? "It would have been better if I was in a simpler dress, if they were more honest about my background… but I wouldn't have been happy unless I got to wear my uniform, like they'd have done if I was a boy. They tore me down after my accomplishment just so they could shame the citizenry into greater fervor. 'This delicate waif could earn the highest of honors. Why can't you?'" Argh, there came the tears again. "Later, I learned that the reason they did it that way was because Imperial Princess Hildebrand was in charge of the shoot. She didn't understand martial pride, what I had to go through to get that medal. She saw me as a doll she got to play with, as royalty are taught all their subjects might as well be, and had her fun. The propaganda department was doing the best they could with the hand they were dealt." Damn royals. "I wouldn't be surprised if she thought that she was doing me a favor, giving me the chance to dress up. But probably not, I didn't get to keep the dress." Not that she wouldn't have ditched it at the first opportunity if she did keep the dress, but it was telling that she didn't get the option.

Mom pulled her into an embrace, and Tanya took a break to enjoy the simple pleasure of it, hugging her back and drying her tears on the mental projection. After an unknown amount of time, Mom spoke up. "Do you feel better now?"

"...Yes." Tanya admitted. It was far from the first time that Mom had prescribed a good cry, nor will it be the last.

"Do you have anything else you'd like to say about that memory?" Mom continued.

"...No." Tanya replied. "Let's go to the next one." She slackened her grip on her mother, but waited for her to stand up and set Tanya down before turning back to the mental world they were building. "They didn't build the pyramids in a day."

The design Tanya had decided on for their new mental world was that of a giant pyramid settled in an eternity of sand, with further structures built around and on top of it. The interior of the pyramid was the tomb complex, where all of the various detritus from her previous lives would be stored and sorted. The exterior would be a city, a thriving mini-society where Tanya could allow her emotions and thoughts to intermingle and sort themselves out… once it was finished. That part should mostly build itself when they're done with the foundation.

But to do that… she needed to review each and every memory she still possesses from her first two lives, both so that they can be properly… 'embalmed' is the metaphor they were using, but what they were actually doing was going through the memory, understanding everything they could about the whys and hows of it, and processing any unhandled emotions from the events. Once finished, it was able to be entombed without issue, sequestered from future emotional energy inflating the memory's importance.

Tanya was fairly certain that such a practice would be considered excessively literal, in the absence of psychic powers, but apparently it was a standard therapeutic technique for the Psychonauts. Taking things one at a time, boiling things down to the full truth, and letting the emotions play out.

It was not as onerous of a task as it sounded. Only memorable events stayed within memory, thus the designation. It was a bit more expansive of a definition than one might think, but it meant that you never saw a memory of being bored doing paperwork, unless something broke up the monotony by something interesting interrupting you, or you making some grand realization from the information presented to you. Those uninteresting memories broke down and became emotional baggage, figments, mental cobwebs, and contributing to the formation of nuggets of wisdom, not really forgotten but reduced to only the barest outlines of recollection.

That still left Tanya with a lot of memories to go through. "Ugh, this memory." After checking to see that it wasn't a third life memory, which was the excuse Tanya used to prevent Mom from finding out about Agent Cruller, Lucrecia, and the Aquatos, Tanya let herself react naturally. That is, she winced as the bubble expanded and revealed the contents. "I was kicking myself for years after this." Every time the memory popped up when she was trying to get to sleep, she got to experience that embarrassment all over again.

"I think it's cute." Mom said.

"That was why I was kicking myself." Tanya replied. It wasn't a very important memory, all told. She was supposed to wait for General Rudersdorf in the courtyard of his manor, and his dog was particularly enthusiastic to meet a stranger. It was a moment of weakness, playing with the dog.

"And now…" Tanya said, prompting the line from the memory.

"Kept you waiting, Degurechaff!" General Rudersdorf said, announcing his presence as Tanya rubbed the dog's belly while whispering what a good dog she was. "Over here."

"Eh?" Tanya had said, looking at the General, accompanied by one of his aides. The memory ended.

"I don't even remember what that meeting was about." Tanya said after it finished. "I think it was something about the Legadonian invasion? Was it before or after Osfjord?" She wasn't sure. "It's not important." She decided.

"Well, the General there seemed to be in good humor about it." Mom said to soften the blow of the memory.

…Huh. "Yeah, he does." Tanya said, rewinding the memory and taking a good look at his face. Wait a minute. "...He looks like he's trying not to laugh." Tanya deadpanned.

"Exactly. Good humor." Mom reiterated. "It's better than the alternative you probably feared, right?"

Given that she was mortified that she had lost his respect… "I suppose." Tanya allowed. He could have been actually laughing, or disappointed, or disgusted, or… actually the worst option was probably him being afraid for his pet's life by leaving him within Tanya's reach.

"...Yikes. Yes, that is much worse." Mom said as she looked at the mockup that the Strategic Assessment and Risk Analyst had provided, projecting an illusion of Rudersdorf's worried face.

"Thank you Sara, your services are not required at this time." Tanya deadpanned. "Do not involve yourself in these sessions." Again.

"Apologies." The mental entity said robotically. "Updating preferences." Hopefully she'll listen this time. Her presence did make it easier to simulate things, made the mental images more complete, but that was not helpful right now.

Tanya turned back to the memory. "...This really isn't so bad." She admitted. "Rudersdorf wasn't my direct report, so his opinion wasn't as important as Zettours. Besides, people do tend to like people their pets like. He might have even thought worse of me if I didn't indulge the dog."

"Most importantly, Tanya:" Mom said. "If he was trying to avoid embarrassing you by laughing, that's something you do for someone you respect."

…She's right. "You're right!" Tanya said, brightening. "Yes, Rudersdorf did respect me." With a steady heart, she packed away the memory into yet another casket. As Tanya shut it, it transformed into a sarcophagus of a dog, which was promptly put into its proper place within the tomb complex. For easy movement, the pyramid was a skeleton of the interior, wireframes indicating the full dimensions of the chambers with only the floors actually existing. Once they're done with the past life memories, the pyramid will be filled in and they can begin with the exterior.

Before they could gather up the next of the many memories floating around chaotically in the air, a bell sounded. "Ah, that's time." Mom said. "We should stop." As one, the mother daughter pair brought out their smelling salts and opened the container. Ugh.

----------------

Tanya woke up in her recliner. Immediately, her head throbbed with the raw chaos that her mind was still in, agitated by the slow construction. Theoretically, they could have done a patch job, just shoving everything into a coherent mass, which would have fixed the headaches in a few days at the cost of unknown mental changes, but because Tanya had insisted on doing things with the most long-term stability with the lowest chance of personality alterations… After two weeks she was beginning to regret that decision. "Ugh…" It's always the worst right after a session.

"Tanya, you're up?" Mary asked from her position at the kitchen table. She was eating some Legadonian style pea soup. Mom had gotten a cookbook of Swedish dishes, for her to try cooking, and she loved it. "Have some artsoppa. It turned out really good!"

"Well." Tanya absently corrected. "It turned out well."

Mary huffed. "You know what I mean!"

Now, time to see if she can get up. Another side effect of this treatment method, beyond the headaches, is that ever since they started the process, it kind of… scrambled her ability to use her psychic powers. Not so much that she couldn't use them at all… but it stopped her from using her more intuitive powers, the ones she used without really thinking about it, as well as ruining her fine control. When she was told about this effect, she didn't think this would be a significant problem. Unfortunately, that list included psychic reinforcement, and as she only found out when she couldn't anymore, she had been using it at low levels constantly for basically her entire life. As such… her muscle strength wasn't even enough to stand for very long without it. It would be relatively simple to fix with an exercise regimen, now that she's aware of the problem, but it has to wait until after she gets her head back on straight. Until then, she has to live with it. Her telekinesis lifted her out of her chair and attempted to set herself on her feet… but a spike in her headache caused the hands to jerk and instead cause her to fall face-first on the floor. "Ow." Tanya complained, her voice muffled by her nose being flattened.

"I've got you, Tanya." Mom said, her own pink telekinetic hands deftly moving her to the table and pushing her seat in so she could sit up straight. Mom proceeded to bring the bowl of soup to the table in front of her. "Say 'ah'."

Mary snickered at Tanya's predicament, slumped at the table getting spoon-fed soup, but Tanya didn't particularly care. She loved it. Not the soup, although it was certainly palatable, but there was a simple pleasure in releasing all responsibility and accepting heartfelt care and attention.

In other words… she was enjoying her summer vacation. She felt a little guilty about not putting her all into physical therapy, but Mom was completely aware that she wasn't fully motivated, quick with platitudes to 'take all the time you want' and 'enjoy being her little girl again'. So… she did. She enjoyed each and every part of it. Even the parts that Mary teased her over. The sole unpleasantness was the constant headache, but even that held value as an excuse to just… not do things, and get Mom or Mary to do them for her. Exquisite.

Sure, she could, and Mom did, point out a cause for this particular mental association cluster, that of spending the first evening after her emotions stopped being suppressed crying in her mother's arms, and how much time she spent being coddled and nursed in the aftermath of another equally mind-shaking battle within her mental ream created an outsized influence on her associative network, and that she was using that overpowered associative cluster of loving Mom as an anchor for her personality while her mind was in flux, just like Ford did… But the accuracy of such assertions was irrelevant. Tanya found that she didn't care. Mom was earning her paycheck for however long it took to complete the treatment, as while it wasn't her normal set of duties, she was fully qualified to take on that role and employing a full-time nurse and psychic therapist for a single patient with severe mental damage was something the Psychonauts did already have paperwork for, all billed to their health insurance, overtime and all. She was even accruing PTO while she was doing it, an office lady's dream scenario.

There was no reason at all to hurry, and it was amazing. Well, okay there was one reason, but Tanya was good at enduring pain. It was even manageable, by going back into the psycho-isolation bed that Agent Nein installed. It was a custom job, where an existing bed frame with the necessary supports had the psychic insulation panels installed, with an air cycler attached to keep things breathable and to mitigate the insulation issue. That is, the issue of heating that naturally arises with Tanya entombing herself with blankets within the box in the summer, although the psychonauts on-base housing had excellent air conditioning so the box itself didn't need any.

Conveniently, the frame already had a mechanism to lower one of the sides, making it a natural door that made it easy to enter and leave without needing to bother with the inconvenience of the door being on top. It took Mary three hours to stop laughing when she realized that when you stripped away the technology Agent Nein had installed an oversized crib in their now shared room, but she's learned since then that no amount of teasing is going to spoil Tanya's enjoyment of being pampered, waited on hand and foot as she slowly rebuilt her mind into a fortress that was stronger than ever.

After the last spoonful of soup entered Tanya's mouth, Mom put a half-full glass of milk in front of her. "Do you think you can manage, darling?" She asked, gesturing to the glass. Idly, Tanya thought about messing it up on purpose, but decided not to. She was feeling pretty put together right now, she could probably do it.

Tanya focused on the joy she felt, from the tips of her toes all the way up to her still short hairstyle. The constant weight of existence lifted, as she steadily activated Levitation. With her weight cut in half, Tanya took a moment to stretch her limbs, the inefficiencies of her control causing blue wisps of telekinetic power to waft off of her. She found that in her current state, the more calculative techniques she had innovated to control her psychic abilities tended to spike her headache, as did trying to study for her high school equivalency/college application or any other mentally intensive activity. So she switched to the more emotive techniques that were standard among the psychonauts, and found them much less aggravating of her condition. With both hands, she picked up the glass of milk and steadily brought it to her lips.

"Good job Tanya." Mom said encouragingly as the milk vanished, warmth blooming further in Tanya's chest as her empathy picked up her mother's loving pride. "It won't be long until you're back on your feet and gliding through life even faster than before." As unfortunate as that was, it was for the best. The only thing worse than this ending… would be if she got tired of it. "Now, let's get you settled down with your meditation tape to fully recover from your morning session. Then, if you're feeling up to it, we can do some physical therapy."

Tanya nodded, not trusting her voice. Focusing entirely on how happy she was, she let those thoughts buoy her enough to allow her to walk slowly back to her recliner, wobbling with every step. Settling down, she telekinetically flicked the switch on the record player, turning on the soothing sounds of the ocean. She needed to think as little as possible to let her headache settle down. So she emptied her mind, letting a smile dominate her face as she relaxed.

Bliss. She'll enjoy it while it lasts.

----------------

"I have to say, Tanya." Otto Mentalis said as she settled onto the office chair in her new workstation. There was plenty of space, the summer intern program had already ended. "While Agent Vodello has been talking you up when it comes to your academic prowess, I must admit I didn't see this coming for quite a few more years." He gave a wry grin. "But then I was read in on your circumstances. I must say, genuine reincarnation? I'm ashamed that I didn't connect the dots sooner, given all of that literature that Sasha's been publishing about the phenomenon."

"I do thank you for accommodating me, Agent Mentalis." Tanya said politely. "But when you're a college graduate twice over, it's not difficult to go straight to major-relevant courses if the college is flexible enough to allow testing out of the core curriculum." All it took was a night of cramming with psychic memory-augmenting techniques to refresh their knowledge for each course and it was easy. Well, she needs to actually take one or two of the courses, but that can be done in parallel with the engineering course load.

"I suppose it wouldn't be." Agent Mentalis agreed. "Given your age, a correspondence course makes perfect sense, and the facilities here for psycho-reactive engineering are even better than at MIT, so you'll be able to get your lab grades here without issue." He chuckled. "Wouldn't want you getting involved in wild parties and drinking your way to failure." With a grin, he finished the joke: "Or worse, to a business degree."

Tanya burst out laughing. "I'm not making that mistake a second time, I assure you." Tanya eventually said. "Was that in the file?"

Agent Mentalis laughed as well. "No, it wasn't!" He said after he recovered his composure. "Your first degree was in business?" He asked.

"Well, it was economics, actually." Tanya corrected. "At the University of Tokyo. But close enough."

"Yeah, that's just as bad." Agent Mentalis said, scoffing. "But if you're not going to fix that with your do-over, what good is it?"

Having a loving family for once, escaping from Being X's influence, recovering from the trauma of nine years of global war with a personal kill count in the tens of thousands? But Agent Mentalis was being rhetorical. "My thoughts exactly." Tanya said, blindly agreeing with him.

"Good, good." Agent Mentalis said. "Now, I had my interns stock that workstation with everything you need for your Introduction to Psitanium course." He placed a workbook on the table. "This has all the information you need to do those lab assignments. I'll be at my desk, and if you have any questions, just use telepathy. I tend to shut out noises when I'm working." Tanya nodded absently, but Agent Mentalis decided to vent a bit about his latest assignment. "Truman asked me if I could make the Psychoportal protect the agents from some of the backlash if they end up forcibly ejected from people's minds. Apparently, over half of the drop outs of the training program include 'didn't sign up for diapers' in their exit surveys. We don't even make the agents wear them! Just the trainees during projection exercises." He exhaled strongly to vent his frustration with the task. "I'm not even sure where to begin. The nervous system's disruption is inherent to the forceful ejection, isn't it?"

That seemed a bit extreme for such a minor reason, but Tanya supposed the 203rd spoiled her when it came to the resolve of recruits. "Well, given that a common mistake when novices astral project guarantees that side effect, forceful ejection or not, doing the reverse of that seems like it might work." Instead of putting in 'too much' of oneself, instead throttling the projection to leave more behind? What exactly causes the stun effect?

Agent Mentalis chuckled. "Find that out from experience, eh?" Tanya blushed. "It happens to the best of us. Like Ford." He chuckled to himself again, reminiscing for a moment as old people tended to. "But I suppose that's a workable starting point. You're going to go far with ideas like that, Tanya." After a moment, he added: "But don't go too far. I'll need a test subject for this, and the next crop of interns won't be here for three more weeks."

Tanya sighed. She literally signed up for this. It was in the contract. She was just glad that the brain donation clause was able to be opted out of.

----------------

Tanya loved her flying car. She didn't invent it, that was Agent Mentalis' patent, but he was probably stretching his remit as her Professor to allow her to build her own as a final project for the Telekinetic Machinery class. It was painted bright red, to better improve visibility, with the chassis specially designed to make someone with the proper cultural context to immediately assume that it could transform into a small mecha. It couldn't, but someday, Tanya hoped to modify the vehicle to make it so. Of course, like all teenagers who find themselves with personal transportation, it comes with extra responsibilities to assist the household to compensate for the extra expenses.

Like picking up her little sister from school. Unlike Tanya, Mary (now officially 'Mary Vodello' rather than 'May Daye') only had an 8th grade education in the 1920s as her highest academic achievement. To exacerbate this, she wasn't exactly a top student even by those standards, and there was about eight years out of school to make her forget stuff. So while she did manage to skip one year of school… She simply couldn't exceed the other children by a large enough margin to overcome the school system's natural reluctance to ruin the socialization aspect of public education. So she was 'merely' one of the smarter 4th graders, despite being younger than the rest of her cohort.

Helmut Fullbear Elementary School was the one all of the appropriately aged children of Motherlobe based psychonauts went to, so theoretically Mary could just take the shuttle that went between the on-base housing and the school, but Mom was out on a mission. So if Tanya wanted to spend her afternoon the way she wanted to, she had to take Mary along.

Not because the eight year old reincarnate wasn't trusted to be left on her own, but because Mary gets bored, and has learned plenty of ways to make Tanya's life unpleasant if she left the girl home when she was out having fun.

Also, it was hilarious to fly over the massive line of parent's vehicles waiting to pick their own brats up. Some of them even honked. Tanya had the top down, so she could even make out a swear from one particularly angry-looking father.

Oh, she recognizes that one. Slowing down to a stop over one of the vehicles, Tanya turned her car upside down and looked up at the smiling woman who had waved her over, leaning out of the driver's side window. "Good afternoon, Mrs. Boole." Tanya greeted, unbothered by talking upside down. "Picking up Lily from kindergarten today?"

Dr. Boole's daughter in law nodded tiredly. Tanya could hear Baby Dogen excitedly clap from within the vehicle, and sent the psychically sensitive baby some affectionate but calming thoughts. "Sitting in two school lines a day isn't exactly my idea of a good time, but you know how well Truman pays for babysitting." Tanya hummed in agreement. Lili had absolutely refused to go back to the Motherlobe's daycare facility after some disaster that Tanya didn't get the details of, and Truman caved and just hired babysitters instead of pushing the issue. It certainly helped Tanya afford her hobby.

"It was nice seeing you again, but I am in a bit of a hurry." Tanya explained. Glancing to the front of the school, which had started letting out about a minute ago, she added: "Besides, Mary might PSI blast me if I keep her waiting."

"You kids go have fun." Mrs. Boole said with another smile. Tanya brought her car back to an upright position and moved closer to the school, settling down to a position above the grass, about a tenth of a meter off the ground.

Mary had stopped glaring at her, as one of her friends drew her attention and ensnared Mary into a conversation of some kind. Tanya couldn't really understand how Mary could get so invested in schoolyard drama, but after her own psychic therapy to settle the traumatic war memories down she seemed like she occasionally forgot about her previous life. Well, whenever Tanya was actually interacting with Mary she remembered it fine, slipping into the semi-antagonistic sibling relationship that they had settled into, but she acted differently whenever she was talking to anyone else. It made Tanya wonder how much the usage of her extensive education from her past lives impacted her own perspective.

"What on earth is that?" Shouted some teacher-looking adult that Tanya didn't recognize. She was pretty sure she'd seen all of the teachers here… Was she new? "Why aren't you in line? How old are you? Twelve? You can't possibly be old enough for a driver's license, and I don't see an adult if you have a learner's permit!"

Taya blinked. "Who are you?" She asked, before glancing down at herself. Sure, she was fourteen, but she didn't look that young, did she? It must be the baggy jacket. It was not warm enough to go without.

"You can call me Mrs. White." She said, sniffing arrogantly. "Now, answer my questions, young lady!"

Tanya hummed. "No." She said bluntly, before leaning back and regaining vision of Mary. "Mary! Hurry up!" She shouted, telekinetically tugging on the girl's skirt lightly to get her attention.

"I've already called the police, they'll be here any second." The annoying woman said. "We'll see what they have to say about this. What school do you go to? O'Peia middle school? You don't look old enough to go to high school…"

Tanya scoffed. "I'm working on my Masters degree." She deadpanned. "I'm breaking zero laws right now." Idly, she noticed the police officer that hangs around the schools when they let out jogging towards them. "Hello, Officer Washington." She said in greeting.

"Hello, Tanya." Officer Washington greeted back. The dark-skinned officer turned to the disgruntled teacher. "What seems to be the problem?"

The woman exploded, metaphorically. "She drove onto the grass and is too young to be driving a car!"

The Officer stared at the woman. "Ma'am, that isn't a car." He pointed to the bottom. "No wheels. Nothing I can do. There's like six of these flying around town, and we can't even give them parking tickets." That wasn't strictly true. Many of the ordinances relating to parking could be applied to any kind of obstruction, not just vehicles, but this was easily solved by parking only in designated parking spots, as it was not illegal to park things that weren't cars in parking spaces. "If she lets that thing touch the grass I could maybe get her for littering, but beyond that?" He shrugged. Eventually, laws will be passed that will restrict her usage of her flying car, but as long as they can wait another two years for her pilot's license to become official, Tanya doesn't care.

Mary jumped into the back seat of the car, using a levitation orb as a spring to clear the side door without resorting to flight. "Mary!" The teacher scolded. "What did I say about psychic powers at school?"

"School's over." Mary replied glibly. "Tanya! Let's go!"

"Seatbelt, Mary." Tanya warned. Mary grumbled but strapped herself in after floating into the passenger seat. It was a full harness, so that passengers wouldn't fall out when Tanya put it upside down without warning. "Who is this woman, anyway?"

Mary looked at her as she dug out a pack of gum, popping some in her mouth before answering. "Mrs. White? She substituted for the spelling class today. She said she normally teaches at the private school." Ah, the Catholic one. Tanya didn't know they used non-nun teachers there. Or Mrs. White just pretends to be a nun when she's teaching there.

Tanya hummed. "Right." Turning back to the substitute teacher, "I'm Mary's older sister Tanya. Welcome to the madhouse that is Helmut Elementary. Go Rainbows. Now go away and bother someone else." She turned to the amused policeman. "Keep up the good work, Officer Washington."

With that, Tanya went straight up and turned to fly to their destination: the game store.

----------------

Mary was vibrating in her seat by the time Tanya parked the flying car. Opening up one of the compartments, Tanya pulled out a roll of quarters. "Here's your budget, Mary. Have fun."

Eagerly snatching up the change, Mary leapt out of the vehicle and flew across the street to Litwak's Arcade. "Bye, Tanya!"

"I'll tell you when we get pizza in a few hours." Tanya sent telepathically, not wanting to bother shouting after the girl. Fridays were for having fun, after all. "I'll protect your share." Mary replied with a faint and perfunctory concept of gratitude rather than a coherent word, but she wasn't that skilled with her telepathy. She had a tendency to send way too much information rather than limiting it like one should, but Tanya could easily parse most of her attempts by now.

Tanya left her vehicle and put it in park, the top of it closing as Tanya walked into the game store. Cards, Comics, and Games wasn't a particularly special gaming store, with the sole factor that attracted Tanya to its offerings being the fact that it was the only store of its kind within the boundaries of Mystery, Massachusetts, which was the small town closest to the Motherlobe. The proprietor, Mr. Furgeson, was a stern man who saw an unfilled market niche and sought to fill it, despite not being someone that should be running a store with a target demographic under the age of ten.

"They're waiting for you." The man grumbled as he loomed over the glass counter filled with baseball cards with the register on top, gesturing to the upstairs area of the building.

Tanya skipped the stairs and settled down onto her chair, smiling at her friends. "It's my turn then? What did I miss?" Couldn't have been much, picking Mary up took maybe twenty minutes.

The rather fat college freshman behind the crypt-master's screen chuckled. "Not much. Just the unspeakable horrors that have savaged your companions."

The dark-skinned high school student at the table rolled his eyes. "They're just tusked worms, Parson."

"I said they were unspeakable, Dave." Parson replied. "Also, they're really more pedipalps than tusks."

Tanya observed the map, miniatures carefully placed among the gummy worms that Parson was using for the monsters. "Dimensions?" She asked. Crypts and Chimeras had many things different from the famous roleplaying system that she recalled from her first life, more emphasis on the amalgamated creatures like the owlbear and hippogriff. There were dozens of ones that she had never heard of before taking a read through the Chimeric Chronicle.

But it still had set-volume fireballs. Parson rattled off the dimensions of the dead end they were ambushed in smugly, as he knew that if she was to cast it, Ashna's Fighter would be in the area. "Hmmm… How much damage are the worms doing?" Tanya asked. She had to leave at the start of the encounter, so she missed that.

"I'm going to die after one more hit unless they roll one on damage." Ashna, Dave's slightly older sister, said, frustrated but resigned. "That poison is no joke."

"...three chances to hit, next closest target with three worse armor class, seventy percent as many hit points, and twice the chance to fail a poison save, potentially dangerous… They go next, correct?" Tanya asked. At Parson's nod, Tanya patted Ashna on the shoulder. "Your sacrifice will be remembered." Tanya said consolingly. Turning to Parson, Tanya issued her command with all the authority she used to save for artillery barrages. "Fireball."

Parson laughed. "Better start rolling another character, Ashna." Both Parson and Tanya started rolling dice, and determined that both the worders (spider-worms) and Ashna's fighter, Birch the second, were toast. Tanya picked up the gummy worms and put them all in her mouth at once, enjoying the sugary treat she had earned.

"Birch the third coming right up." Ashna said, grumbling at her poor record. She picked up her dice and performed her usual superstitious ritual for good luck. It involved putting away all of her other dice for some reason.

"Maybe they won't die to fireballs so easily if you stop naming them after wood." Opined Nathan, the final player in the group, who was fiddling with a deck of playing cards, elaborately shuffling them for no purpose. It was a nervous tic of his; American culture was not kind to overweight pasty-skinned guys like Nathan and Parson.

"Or Tanya could stop being so willing to hit me with them." Ashna grumbled as she rolled her dice.

"Artillery is the king of the battlefield." Tanya said sagely. "But any commander with sense values the contribution of the infantry, the queen of the battlefield."

"...Thanks, Tanya." Ashna said sincerely, not understanding the implications of the old joke.

"Now, while Ashna does that, " Dave said, "Nathan, search the room."

"Hm?" Nathan said. "Oh, right. Rolling to find secret doors and loot."

Tanya smiled as she let Nathan's thief do their part. She missed this. Sure, it wasn't quite the same, but it was only as different to the games of her first life as trying some other game system, so unless she wanted to write out her own ruleset, she had to play with what people knew.

Hours later, the pizza delivery had dropped off the food without incident, another plus of Mr. Furgeson's management, and Mary had arrived to eat her share. "So are you going to join that Squad Leader tourney next week over in Boston, Tanya?" Parson asked politely between slices. He was referring to a popular new war game, one that Tanya actually remembered from her first life, albeit as a relic of late pre-modern wargaming.

Tanya nodded. "Definitely. I'm still tweaking my plans of attack, but I'll be ready."

"I'm sure that everyone will enjoy getting crushed by the littlest nazi again." Dave said with a wry grin. "You do still have your hat, right?"

"It's not a Nazi hat!" Tanya insisted. "It's a replica Kaiserreich officer's cap. Second Reich, not third." Despite her vehemence, Tanya was still smiling. They were just joking around, after all. To complete the bit, Tanya grumbled some imprecations about them in German.

"But you're playing the nazis." Dave observed, accurately. Squad Leader was a world war 2 wargame, after all.

"I'm certainly not going to play the Communists." Tanya retorted, scoffing. "And I do have an American strategy ready if needed." And a Communist one. It was just a game, after all. It would be foolish to not be prepared.

"The Allies will crush them just the same." Mary said, finishing her third and final pizza slice. Tanya resisted the impulse to insist she eat the crusts, limiting herself to a disapproving glance. Three slices was a lot of pizza for an eight year old, even without the crusts. "Both Reichs have it coming."

"Mary, you don't even know what the Nazis did." Tanya pointed out. They did not cover World War II before middle school, from the materials she blew through.

Mary, not a particularly skilled liar, looked away nervously before gathering her courage. "Sure I do." She said, "They invaded everyone." It was a blatant guess…

…but she wasn't wrong. "That's not why they're so vilified, Mary." Tanya explained.

"Yeah, the only ones at this table the Nazis didn't want dead are you two." Dave added. "Light hair, blue eyes? Aryan ideal, the both of you." That wasn't quite true. Mary had very light brown hair that could be mistaken for blonde in bright light and greenish blue eyes. Also, it was an oversimplification to say that the Nazis wanted all the untermensch dead. It wouldn't be an enjoyable argument, so Tanya didn't dispute it.

Also… "She's not Germanic, either. She's Nordic." Tanya explained. The Nazis cared about that. "Ethnically, I'm Slavic." In both this life and the last, incidentally. The Empire's greater reach was primarily due to enthusiastic integration of the component cultures. Which the Kaiserreich didn't do. Tanya emphasized her point with a thumbs down. "We'd have still been untermensch, me more than her." Also, Tanya didn't like men romantically. That really was a death sentence, although if Being X had twisted the Empire so much that the Nazis still came into power… Well, it's probably a good thing that Tanya didn't need to consider such extreme actions for survival.

"...wait, you're not related?" Parson asked, confused.

"We're both adopted." Tanya explained. "I kept my original surname, Mary took on our mother's." Tanya wasn't particularly attached to the Dosva name, beyond vague amusement at the pun, but it did prevent people from asking 'are you related to Agent Vodello?', which was a much more annoying question for people to ask in comparison to 'Do you know Agent Vodello/Nein/Mentalis/Spark/Ember/O'Peia/Boole/etc.?', which only came up when her connection to the Psychonauts came up and not just when her name did. Mom never brought the topic up, even when she was officially adopting Mary, so Tanya just took it as an unspoken agreement to not discuss it. Besides, it would be super awkward to say something about it now.

"...What is your last name?" Dave asked Mary.

"Don't tell them." Tanya ordered her, which seized the interest of the entire table.

Mary didn't immediately answer, thinking carefully. When she smiled, Tanya knew what she was going to say. "I'm Mary Vodello, nice to meet you." Brat.

Tanya muttered some colorful Portuguese swears as each of her friends made the connection. Before they could ask questions, Tanya cut them off. "Is it really that surprising? You knew I was connected to someone in the Psychonauts. A sizable chunk of the town is, after all." That was a small exaggeration. The Motherlobe employees and their families only amounted to 2% of Mystery's population at most, putting it as the third largest employer in town. The town's major industries were tourism for the three attractions that the area's large psitanium reserves created, such as the Questionable Area?, followed closely by distribution centers for a big conglomerate that sent pharmaceuticals, toiletries, and cosmetics around the tri-state area.

After a moment, Dave nodded decisively. "Agent Vodello having kids is pretty surprising, yeah. Can you get me her autograph?"

"Are Agents Vodello and Nein really in a relationship?" Ashna asked, invested. "Is he your dad?"

"How old is your mom, really?" Nathan asked.

"After this long, I can only assume Agent Nein is afraid of commitment." Tanya said, covering her face with a hand in frustration. Mary laughed at Tanya's pain, as usual. "Also, none of your business," She added, pointing at Nathan. Mom was seventeen when Tanya's 'first birthday' occurred, so she was 30 this year. "-and no." She finished, pointing at Dave.

"Hey guys, cut it out." Parson sailed, scolding their mutual friends. "This is why she didn't want to tell us. She's still Tanya, who her mom is doesn't matter." One of the less subtle social dynamics of a gaming group is that whoever is the game master tends to take something of a leadership role above and beyond their imaginary authority, so Parson's words successfully restrained the curiosity of the others. Ashna and Nathan murmured apologies. "Now Tanya, take a look at this new set of rules. I was thinking that a good way to encourage multiple leaders was to use formation bonuses that give smaller squads an advantage over massive mobs." He passed out the binder full of notes for the war game he was designing, the page already turned to the formation rules he had mentioned. Tanya used telekinesis to hold it, her fingers were still covered in pizza grease. Besides, she could eat and read at the same time this way.

Ah, back to normal. Tanya smiled as she read through the design notes. In every one of her lives, college was a happy time, her intellectual curiosity fully sated. As for the aftermath, when she used her education…

Third time's the charm.

So I take it this version of Parson is not going to vanish in a flash of light with Tanya investigating/dragged along? Or is volume 2 going to be your second Erfworld crossover?
I'm not going to commit one way or the other on that front. I just needed some names and descriptions for an RPG group so I used Parson and two of his players. (I also made the players siblings, for essentially no reason)

Nathan is just a composite of at least three Nathans I have played RPGs with.

"After this long, I can only assume Agent Nein is afraid of commitment." Tanya said
At this point, they're "married by common law" if nothing else. Marriage need not always be so official, Tanya!

So, if i've the math right, Razz should be showing up in the summer camp soon? Possibly with some of his siblings, with the way things have changed! That'll be interesting, I look forward to it.

"Artillery is the king of the battlefield." Tanya said sagely. "But any commander with sense values the contribution of the infantry, the queen of the battlefield."

"...Thanks, Tanya." Ashna said sincerely, not understanding the implications of the old joke.
... Is the old joke that the King screws the Queen?

At this point, they're "married by common law" if nothing else. Marriage need not always be so official, Tanya!

So, if i've the math right, Razz should be showing up in the summer camp soon? Possibly with some of his siblings, with the way things have changed! That'll be interesting, I look forward to it.
They're not, actually. They don't cohabitate.

The main reason Tanya doesn't push to correct this is that then they'll stop limiting their sex lives to Agent Nein's apartment.

And no, your math is way off. In the last scene here, it's only a 2 year time skip. Raz has 5 more years until he's 10. Book 2 is in two more years, 3 years pre-canon.
... Is the old joke that the King screws the Queen?
Yes.

Always got more of a northwest vibe from the setting than a northeast one, though it's hard to put my finger on why.
Lili explicitly says that she lives on the East Coast at the end of Psychonauts 1. The Motherlobe is where her Dad works, and she is extremely familiar with the Motherlobe's layout. While it's not impossible, given these facts, for the motherlobe to be placed in another region, Occam's razor dictates that it's on the east coast of America. Given the terrain, it is most appropriate for it to be in the New England area.

That said, Camp Whispering Rock could be in the Northwest, I just decided to make it in upstate Vermont, near the Canadian border. It's why despite noting that it was hot when appropriate, they weren't terribly concerned about heatstroke.

The Northwestern vibe probably has more to do with the writers at Double Fine living in California.

Sidestory 2: Expanded chapter 27
Whoops, was supposed to post this in the morning. Here y'all are!
----------------------
"We've made a lot of progress, Tanya." Mom said cheerfully. "We're almost done."

Tanya grabbed another few bits of floating memory. "First day of school…" She tossed it back into the air, frowning. The 'plan' for her new mind had all of the past life memories sequestered in the pyramid, but the third lift memories were to construct themselves around the pyramid once it was sealed. This morning, they had to actively prevent them from doing just that, in fact. They just wanted to make extra sure they got it all. "Getting that stupid hat…" Tossed. "The apple juice incident…" One of the more unfortunate parts of memory retention is that embarrassing incidents tended to stick around, and as a result, an uncomfortably large fraction of the memories she had to keep tossing back were the times she had ended up 'having an accident', as that's embarrassing no matter how old you are. "Do you think we should just make a room in the pyramid for embarrassing memories that I would have forgotten if I was an actual child?" While the level of mortification she felt about the memories had much diminished from exposure, having to briefly experience the memory, echoes of emotion included, was getting very annoying.

Mom paused at the suggestion. That was good, it meant that she thought that Tanya had made a good point that was worth considering, rather than repeating an old one that had already been rejected. "I think… that normally they should already be gone." She said. "So when we're finished, they'll either dissolve normally, or do the opposite and become more influential in your mind because of how many times you've reviewed them."

"...What would that even do?" Tanya asked.

Mom took a moment to think her answer through. "...you don't want to know." She eventually said. That meant it was within shouting distance of the topic of sex. Ew.

"Solutions?" Tanya asked.

"We can sequester them for now." Mom said. "We definitely shouldn't put it inside the pyramid, but nudging the external mindscape to let you forget embarrassing moments as it forms shouldn't cause any big changes."

"Finally." Tanya said, creating a footlocker. She nabbed more floating memories. "First time seeing an American grocery store…" She tossed that one back to the pool. "The road trip to the Motherlobe…" Into the locker. Ah. "Here's one." She unfolded the memory and let it play.

It was the first time she had gotten drunk. The cosplay social club at Todai did have pretty good parties, as it turned out.

"Hey Kagami, I finally convinced Deguchiya to come." Were the first words out of Daikoku's mouth when they showed up, the girl in question gaping as her neck craned up. "I told you he was huge, didn't I?"

Back then, Tanya was pretty proud of their physique, honed through participation in several different sports, so she could remember the exact thought that went through their head here: "You should flex." Normally, this thought would be shot down with 'no, that''ll make you look arrogant and stupid'. But this was Tenya newly lubricated with a saucer of sake, amplified by the placebo effect to act much drunker than he actually was.

Tenya's muscles strained the T-shirt that he had arrived to the party with as he posed. Daikoku deliberately told him to change into something more casual than his 'going to class' button-up shirt and slacks. Instead of the expected sneers and envious glares, as he would have received from his more academic peers, several of the girls at the party actually cat-called and wolf-whistled at him.

This was where it started, his descent into complacency: With positive reinforcement. The memory advanced to a different party with the same people, although she couldn't quite recall how much time passed between them. "This land is made… of Love and Peace!" Tenya declared, wearing the blonde wig, sunglasses, and giant red trenchcoat while crossing his held out fingers. The rest of the party cheered at Tenya's impression.

It flashed through a few other scenes with the cosplay club, none of which included sobriety. Once the memory concluded, Tanya rubbed her chin. "In hindsight… Loliruca, Hatsume, and Yaoyorozu were all flirting with me." She concluded.

Mom spun her head towards Tanya, her hair whipping around from the speed. "You mean you didn't know?" She asked, incredulous. "I could maybe see you missing some of those signals, but Hatsume was all over you. You couldn't possibly think that such extensive measuring sessions are normal."

"Never even crossed my mind." Tanya admitted. "Romance was always something that was pushed to later. Something that I'd need to do, but never something that seemed important to do right now." She did recall that one of her work friends complained that his mother was bugging him about relationships, but… hm. When was the last time she communicated with her mother before the train? She can't remember. There aren't that many emotionally significant past memories left before they're done…

Mom hummed thoughtfully instead of elaborating. "...is there anything else to say about the memory?" She asked.

"Not really." Tanya said dismissively. "It's just me partying it up in the cosplay club. It happened, I enjoyed myself at the time. The results of this was something that I, in the end, regretted, but it was also probably the first time in my first life that I was happy. Drunk, but happy." Back when she was first remembering her first life again, she remembered the bad stuff far before the good stuff. "There was a reason I hated Being X so much. I didn't enjoy my first life as much as I should have, but on the balance, I was happy before I died. Most of that was because alcohol was the only thing holding my crippling anxiety at bay, and because I thought I understood people a lot better than I did, but that didn't mean I wasn't happy with my lot." There was a reason why 'Ignorance was bliss' was considered a truism. People who didn't understand what they were missing could enjoy what they could, with only truly atrocious conditions preventing one from being satisfied with them, assuming ignorance of anything better. It was the kind of thing that Being X's pawns relied on, offering pleasant lies to help the downtrodden thrive in suffering.

"Do you miss it?" Mom coaxed, sticking to simple questions as usual.

"Yes and no." Tanya hedged. "I miss… specific things. Games I played, food I enjoyed. Being tall." She did find out about a restaurant that served wagyu beef in Boston from Grand Head Zanotto, just incidentally, but her allowance just wasn't large enough to spend over one hundred dollars on a single meal. That'll have to wait several years. She'd also need a suit. "At times, I miss some of the friends I've had. But the thing about gaming friends is that it's not that hard to make more, you just need to learn whatever's popular at the time." She'd go so far as to say that their closest friends were the ones they played with over VASSAL, the online wargaming platform, despite only rarely meeting them in person. That was part of the appeal, honestly. Nothing she said to them would impact her reputation at work. "But that life as a whole? No. My memory of it has been tainted, I wouldn't go back if I could." Nor the second. Starting the third life over… she would consider it.

"We'll see if we can't bring some of that back to you." Mom said, smiling. "Perhaps a vacation in Japan?" She started to roll up the memory into a memento to store in the memory tomb.

"That does sound nice." Tanya admitted. "I'd like to see the cherry blossoms bloom again, enjoy the festival." In fact… Tanya plucked a memory from the air as it spun around her. "Ah, here's a good memory of that festival." She let it expand, showing the cherry blossoms in full bloom as they walked among their high school friends.

After a few minutes, Mom coughed. "You do realize you were on a date, right?" She asked.

Tanya's head bowed as she realized what she had missed. "I know now, yes." She was utterly blind. How could she have missed those pursed lips?

"...I have a theory." Mom said. "I think… that you may have been gay."

"Impossible." Tanya insisted.

"Oh? What makes you say that?" Mom asked.

"If I was a homosexual, there would have been more than a single emotional memory that featured a public bathhouse." Even that one wasn't even related to seeing naked men. It was his last memory of spending time with his paternal grandfather, and included far more than the bathhouse scene.

"...Point." Mom said, conceding the small argument. "I suppose you could just be asexual. That exists in the literature… Kinsey put 'X' on her scale for a reason…" It was a little disheartening, to hear Mom so hesitant to accept something like this, but Mom seemed to realize the absurdity and shook her head. "Well, if you start having funny feelings about boys or girls, I'll be here to help you sort through them. If not? We won't need to speak any more on the subject." Something about how she said that… this was not the end of things, she knows it.

They folded up the pleasant memory, putting it with the rest. The next one was… a circus memory. She immediately threw it far away. Mom frowned at the act, but respected what little privacy Tanya demanded and refrained from asking about it. It wouldn't be the first time Tanya had thrown even that particular memory back into the crowd without a word.

"I think I'm ready for a break." Tanya said, with Mom just nodding and taking out her smelling salts.

Therapy was exhausting.

----------------

"So… it's official now." Mary said awkwardly as they both sat on the bed. "My name's Mary, for real." It was late at night, and they would normally be going to bed. But Mom had given them permission to stay up late tonight, so Tanya was somewhat obligated to keep Mary company for a little bit. It was a few days after Tanya's clean bill of health, both physical and mental. She still needed to use psychic reinforcement to allow her pitiful muscles to get through the day, but it was once more as easy as breathing to do so. Addressing that issue is an ongoing project.

Tanya hummed in agreement. "Just don't assume that you'll be able to do that in every life, if you end up having to live more than the two." Tanya warned.

Mary paled. "Do… you think that will happen? I mean, God granting me a second chance at life is pretty cool, but…"

"It depends." Tanya conceded. "I'm hardly an expert on reincarnation, despite my experiences." Why did she continually reincarnate without Being X intervening to allow it? Did he just… make her eternally reincarnate without thinking that he'd lose track of her? If one assumes there's some semi-automated process that wipes souls clean between incarnations, but he just put in a block that prevented her from going through it… "I'm certainly assuming that I'll have more lives after this one. Whether or not he did the same thing to you? There's certainly a reason for him to make sure you reincarnate as often as I do, at least. It means I can't kill myself to escape you and him." Not that she would ever trust that to work even if it looked like an appealing path for whatever reason, but it is technically an option.

"You mean… I'll be following you forever?" Mary said, utterly horrified.

"Not necessarily." Tanya said. "It all depends on exactly what he did to you to enable this in the first place." She didn't know nearly enough about reincarnation to be able to rule out anything. Constructing logic that would permit anything in particular, on the other hand? Easy. "But I consider it likely that you'll have more lives than just the two, yes."

"Are you sure you don't want to pray to God with me? So that he can stop this?" Mary asked.

Tanya snorted. "Even if I thought it would work, which I don't, " Mary flinched at the assertion, Tanya sternly glaring at the girl for her suggestion. "He can tell when you're being insincere. I've tried to lie my way through his temper tantrums before, but it doesn't work." There was that time shortly after she killed Mary…

"That's not what I meant…" Mary whined.

Tanya softened her expression. "I spent nearly ten years frothing mad with hate and rage for the man, stoking that anger was the only thing keeping me going, in that church orphanage and in officer's school." She explained. "That's before he decided to resort to mental corruption from the type 95." Even now, the echoes of that anger still burned in Tanya's throat, still fresh enough after going over every interaction with a fine toothed comb. Still… "Ask me again in thirty years." She was still pretty confident that she'd be willing to go through at least one more life before she'd consider begging Being X for help, but a lot can happen in that much time.

"Okay." Mary said, defeated. "I can understand that, at least a little." She shifted uncomfortably, as she tended to do when she was reminded that her killer was right beside her.

Tanya pulled the six year old girl into a hug, gently rubbing her back as the action prompted Mary to let the tears burst forth. "I'm sorry." Tanya said quietly. "I shouldn't have brought it up on such a happy day."

"Can God even hear me?" Mary asked, sobbing. "Am I forever beyond his reach?"

Tanya could only hope. "I don't know." She said instead. "I like to think that, for the same reason that your soul could hunt down mine, that you could, if you tried, seek out whoever you wish." She just made that up, but upon review, it still made sense. "So enjoy your second life, like I never could. Grow up, become someone you can be proud of. Then, on your deathbed, pray with all of your heart. If he can't hear you, just get closer."

Mary sniffled. "You're right." She whispered, "I just need to have faith." Tanya wondered how Being X would take Mary completely missing the point of her quest to instead enjoy some personal growth. Every piece of fiction she had ever seen would indicate that it was the true lesson, to learn to let go of vengeful thoughts. But Tanya knew Being X better than that. She thought so, at least.

Then again, didn't he mention something about enlightenment in that first exchange? It's not really important. What is important is the death grip Mary now had on Tanya's torso. "What would you like to do before bed?" Tanya asked.

Mary had to think about her answer. After a minute or so of silence, she started to speak: "So… this is basically a sleepover, right?" Tanya hummed in agreement. "So… do you have any makeup?"

Tanya's left eye twitched. She did, actually. While she was now aware of how her experiences have soured her on the concept, she also had enough logical reasons to let the emotional reaction have its way. "I have some nail polish." She counter-offered. It was gifted by Mom a little over a year ago… is fifteen months enough time for it to go bad? She used it just once…

Mary's hug finally loosened. "I'd love to paint your nails." She declared.

That was only the start of things. Mom caught wind of the activity and had gleefully joined in, bringing in hair styling supplies when the nail painting was completed. Fortunately, the nails were the only thing that Tanya had to personally experience, with Mom and Mary being the subject of the other beautifying treatments. Well, also the face mask. Skin care was important, as Mom was quick to remind her.

"Why the cucumber slices, though?" Tanya asked as she laid down on the floor along with the rest of her family. Apparently, TV was wrong (big surprise): face masks were only used for about twenty minutes at a time, unless you had special overnight masks. Tanya's sleeping circumstances preclude using those.

"They help reduce puffiness in your eyes. Excellent if you've had a good cry." Mom said confidently, pointedly not directing anything at Mary's reddened eyes. Thinking about it, that did make sense, they were cool and mostly made of water, so they're like tiny cold compresses. They did feel slightly soothing… How much of that is placebo Tanya wasn't sure, but thinking too much about it diminishes the potency of it, so Tanya put it out of her mind.

The masks were removed after light conversation, Mary looking much more put together after the treatment was concluded, especially after the curlers were also removed. "Wow!" Mary said after looking in the mirror. "I look great!" She played with her now curlier hair, grinning widely.

"You are very adorable, Mary." Mom complimented. "Don't you agree, Tanya?"

"Very cute." Tanya agreed honestly. "She just needs a sparkly outfit and a talking animal, and she'll be ready to lead her own maho shojo anime." She already has phenomenal magical power, after all.

Mary looked at Tanya in confusion. "...What's that?"

Ah, she shouldn't have said that out loud. "Something from my first life." Tanya deflected. "Cute enough for television, is what I meant."

"You think so?" Mary asked excitedly. She looked at herself in the mirror some more, probably imagining herself in one of those dresses celebrities wear on the red carpet. Wait, that was definitely what she was imagining. Not constantly shutting out her telepathy was still a little weird sometimes, now that she has a handle on tolerating the extra input. Mostly. There was a reason she liked sleeping in psycho-isolation, after all.

"Well, it's been fun," Mom began, literally radiating her sincerity when she said it. Having a daughter that enjoyed feminine things was good for her. "But two hours past bedtime is late enough."

Tanya yawned, the mention of the time reminding her that she was up significantly later than normal. Normal bed time was nine in the evening, and given that Tanya had been pretending to be actually twelve just a few months ago, that circadian rhythm had been formed as a habit years back. "Good night, Mom. I love you." Tanya said sleepily as she went into her room to check her psychoisolation bed's air cycler for the night.

"I love you both. Goodnight!" Mom said cheerily as she started to clean up the impromptu beauty salon.

Once inside the room, Mary stared at Tanya as she did her routine check. "...is that really comfortable?" She asked.

"It is." Tanya insisted. "I used to use a psychic barrier to block all telepathic signals, but it's not healthy to do that." Tanya wasn't entirely convinced of the necessity of it, but Mom was quite insistent on that fact. "I can tolerate psychic noise much better now, but it disturbs my sleep to be in such close proximity to so many psychics without such a defense." It slowed down her recovery for a while until they realized that was what was exacerbating her headaches.

"I meant more… the suffocating amount of blankets and how cramped it's bound to be." Mary said to elaborate.

Oh. "There's a complicated psychological reason why I like it this way, but the heat and weight makes it very similar to sleeping with another person." Tanya explained. "I could theoretically sleep fine without that part, but it's preferable that way." After a moment, she added: "I also don't move much when asleep," a habit that served her well in both cramped Japanese living spaces and military bunks, "-so the size doesn't bother me." She looked assessingly at Mary, deliberately measuring her. "You'd fit in much better." While Tanya could fit with a little clearance, as an average-sized twelve year old girl, she had over a foot on the six year old body of Mary. The bed was already sized for children her age, in fact.

Mary flushed at the suggestion. Oh? "About that… I was wondering if I could try it? Just once?"

After a moment of considering the logistics, Tanya replied: "I'm not going to switch beds."

"We could both fit." Mary countered.

Tanya couldn't really think of a reason not to, she knows how bad of a liar Mary is by now. She's not being tricky here. Tanya twisted the dial on the air cycler, doubling both the air flow and the noise that the machine made. "Come on in." Tanya crawled into the chamber, telekinetically removing most of the filler and letting it pile on the ground. With the extra body heat, she'll need to skimp on the insulation.

When the two girls were properly cuddled up and covered by a single blanket, Mary breathed out a sigh of relief. "I didn't have any siblings before." She whispered. "But… I'm glad that it's you." After a pause, she elaborated. "You proved that I wasn't crazy." Well, not completely so. "I don't think I've actually said this… but I forgive you."

It was a lovely sentiment. Which made the excessively petty and mundane problems that followed even more irritating. It was agreed to never repeat the experiment ever again.

----------------

Dear Tanya,

How are things with the Psychonauts? Its so cool that you get to live there at the Motherlobe! Dads still not teaching me anything. No fighting no mind reading no mind walking, nothing! Just flying. He says stuf like 'wait until your older Razputin' and 'you should learn from an expert' and 'telepathy is dangerous', but thats stupid!

Dions stopped talking about you. Frazie is fine. Mirtala is still alive. Nonas not any different. Mom started performing in the show again.

Those True Psychic Tales you sent are super cool! Dad says that Milla Vodello and Sasha Nein are the ones he saw in your head! Do you know them? Frazie thinks their dating, but shes dumb.

Your friend,
Razputin Aquato

Tanya smiled as she read the letter. Despite being in one of the generations that saw the first smart phones, she was still on the older side of that demographic. As such, she was quite well versed in the arts of keeping in contact via letters. In her second life, she had at least eight contacts in the Imperial Military, plus one of the Sisters in the orphanage, to exchange letters with. It helped her a lot, although none eclipsed the utility of her favorite contact, Maximilian Ugar. In the event that the Empire ended up throwing out everyone's pension and she couldn't access her foreign currency accounts, he was first on her list of contacts that may be able to shelter her. The orphanage was number two.

So it was with warm memories that she brought her own pen to paper to reply. This was actually the second letter Razputin had sent, it took him about a year to improve enough with his writing that his parents allowed him to send one. Tanya sent back ten dollars worth of comic books, which turned out to be nearly a year's worth of back issues at the comic book store.

Dear Razputin,

I'm glad that you enjoyed the comic books. I am quite familiar with Agent Vodello and Agent Nein. As for them dating, that information is technically classified. But on an unrelated note, I'm glad to see that your sister remains as insightful as she was during our brief interactions.

Tanya smirked. Razputin would respond well to a cloak and dagger type of response, she was sure.

On the subject of telepathy, it is indeed quite dangerous, your Father is correct. It would be wise to wait until you receive official Psychonauts training before delving into that particular set of skills. Further, I would not call flight 'nothing'. Levitation is normally a rather basic skill, true, but the flight techniques that your father learned from my mind are quite advanced. If you master them, you will find yourself a cut above the average Psychonauts recruit, when it comes time to test yourself.

Hopefully that will encourage Razputin to do things that aren't potentially leading him to Maligula. Even hinting that Nona's mind has something to hide would be too dangerous, so she could only hope. Oh, that's a good point, given his hero complex.

I should reiterate my previous point about avoiding telepathic training. To elaborate: the danger is not so much to you, should you try it, but instead to whoever's mind you are invading. You could severely damage your family's minds if you attempted to invade them for whatever reason you concocted. Do. Not. Try. It is illegal, and you will be arrested and put in jail by the Psychonauts if you manage to hurt someone psychically like that.

Well, it's theoretically a possible outcome. The circumstances that would make it actually happen, given that he's a minor, are nearly impossible to arrange. Really, in comparison to conventional wisdom vis a vis lying to children, pointing out that he'd need to actually screw it up to get punished was already being exceptionally honest. How to finish…

In other news, Agent Mentalis has assigned me a new project for one of my classes: I must construct an example of one of his larger patents, specifically, his flying car schematics. Flawlessly fusing enough psitanium to create a telekinetic engine will be a challenge, but I'm looking forward to the results.

Your friend,
Tanya Dosva

There. She'll drop it off at the post office the next time she's in town. Mom hasn't seen any of these letter exchanges yet, and she'll be glad to put that off as long as possible.

…Should she? It would probably not be appreciated. But to leave it unaddressed… Screw it. Tanya took out her red pen and started correcting Razputin's spelling and grammar, placing it back in the envelope after her corrections were complete.

It was something she'd have done back in Japan. It was something she did, the first time around. Sometimes she worried about how much she's changed after her mental restructuring, such as how she continually found herself selecting childish options more often than not, without regretting it later. But then she ends up reminding herself of how much of her hasn't changed. It was growth.

After all, when one grows older, they discard childish things, including the desire to be seen as grown up.

Chapter 2.01
Book 2... begin!

Remember, patrons get 4 advance chapters. My Patreon.

----------------------
Tanya's eyes snapped open as her psychic alarm went off. Today was the day! A glance and flex of her telekinesis opened up her psychoisolation bed, and she rolled out of it, catching herself and standing instead of falling to the floor.

"It's time to wake up, Mary." Tanya called out. Mary mumbled and turned over in her bed on the other side of the room. Eh, she's still got some time. Tanya picked up the pile of blankets and stuffed animals, gave them a sniff, and deposited the lot into the laundry hamper. The psychoisolation bed was nice and quiet, and she liked the warmth of being enveloped so completely, but managing the smell was a necessity.

Which was why she wore full body pajamas, as it made it so she didn't have to wash the sweaty sheets every day, instead only needing cleaning about once a week. Them being rather childish onesies rather than something more mature was just a guilty pleasure; she liked the fabric's texture and didn't care what other people (read: Mary) thought of her for it. It was a simple matter to shed her pajamas (the tanuki one this morning) and deposit them with the other laundry.

After a shower and the rest of her morning routine, Tanya deposited her towel into the laundry and, deeming it full enough, picked the lot back up for deposit into the laundry machine. The family on-base apartments for the Motherlobe were fairly high-end, if space-efficient. Tanya found that she preferred the cozier accommodations anyway.

But now… Tanya sniffed the air. Pancakes… "Mary, it's time to get up." Tanya repeated with more urgency as she re-entered their room, settling down at the vanity.

Mary grumbled incoherently. "Five more minutes…" Tanya snorted and used a tiny shock of cryokinesis on the small of the ten year old reincarnate's back. Mary shrieked. "Damn you!" She shouted, getting up and pointing at Tanya dramatically. "School hasn't even started yet!"

Tanya scoffed as she tended to her hair. Her short, boyish hairstyle was very convenient to someone who was in cramped spaces or upside down as often as she was, but that didn't mean she didn't need to blow-dry and brush it in the morning to keep it looking presentable. "It starts in less than a month, you need a more reasonable sleep schedule. Plus, you'll be cranky all day if you miss breakfast." It was a tired old argument, but Tanya wasn't going to let the Bloody Valkyrie completely forget military discipline. It would bring shame on her as an older sister to accept such indolence from her little sister. "It's my first day of work, you'll have the place to yourself for most of today." After a moment, she added: "Don't let your friends inside without Mom or I here. You do not count as adult supervision. Go to their houses instead." Deeming her hair acceptable, she moved on to her skin-care routine. Acne was like communism, a scar on rational thinking that should not be allowed a foothold. Chapped lips were similarly hazardous to one's comfort and presentation, and the faintly red colored chapstick was the closest Tanya ever got to wearing makeup. But that's for after breakfast.

Mary grumbled as she undressed for her own morning ablutions, but didn't dispute the assertion. The last time she was allowed to count herself as adult supervision, one of her friends, the diabetic one, went into hyperglycemic shock and almost died. There was a vast difference between 'trusted to go without a babysitter' and 'trusted to be the babysitter', and she understood that she had yet to earn the latter.

Within a few minutes, they were at the dining table eating pancakes as a family. "So Tanya, are you excited for your first day as a Psychonaut?" Mom asked as she settled down with her own plate.

Tanya nodded. "It's nice to get back into the workforce." She said, even if it meant that those glorious college years were done, "While Agent Mentalis is nepotistic enough that I could do my experiments without him doing anything about it, I feel better with the legal protection of an employment contract guaranteeing me the rights to my inventions." Tanya got the impression that Truman didn't actually understand the money-making power of intellectual property. The human resources department of the Psychonauts was pretty barebones, in Tanya's opinion, and they were eager to get Tanya's image rights so they could include her in True Psychic Tales as a spunky young sidekick character. Getting an employment contract that was, to Tanya's sensibilities, obscenely generous was laughably easy. "Intellectual property disputes can get very ugly, and I'd rather not tempt the leadership."

"The money doesn't hurt either, huh?" Mom teased, to Tanya's wordless grin. "I didn't know the technicians made more than the agents, you know."

"You get hazard pay." Tanya replied. Not that such a provision wasn't in her contract, but she had no intention of earning any. "And image royalties, and extra pay for your nursing accreditations." She added. "But yes, the base pay is higher for fully qualified engineers with Masters degrees than it is for agents that require full training." In Tanya's opinion, Mom should ask for a raise to reflect her greater importance and experience, but those image royalties kept her bank account comfortable, so it was more of a matter of principle, and Mom didn't like taking stands on principle when no one was being hurt.

"It seems so reasonable when you put it that way…" Mom said, before smiling widely. "Well, I'm just happy you're doing well for yourself."

Mary seemed annoyed at the topic of discussion, so Tanya changed the subject before she could lash out and ruin the peaceful meal. "So I heard that the arcade is getting that new game, Lunar Lander, this week."

Mary looked keenly interested. "Really? I read about that one in Play Meter. That's the one that lets you be an astronaut!" it was closer to being a helicopter pilot, but she wasn't wrong. Mary was a lot more interested in being an astronaut than she was in being a psychonaut. Tanya didn't have the heart to tell her how the space programs get gutted once the Soviet Union collapses. She tells herself it's because psychic powers might change the calculus involved in that decision, but if it means Mary will be motivated to go to college, Tanya will gladly lie to her face about the future of space travel.

"When I spoke to Mr. Litwak a few days ago, he said it was due today or tomorrow." Tanya said idly. It was always smart to build rapport with the small business owners that make their living taking money out of your younger sibling's pockets. Plus she can nudge him towards the arcade games that were popular enough that Tanya actually heard of them before, to cultivate a positive business relationship when she eventually needs a test audience for her own games. "So if you're lucky, you'll be able to play it tomorrow."

Successfully distracted with the prospect of playing crappy 1979 arcade games, breakfast concluded without any jealous outbursts. Tanya can't wait for actually good ones to come out, but she'll need to wait for them. When did Gradius come out, anyway?

Still, soon enough it was time to go to work. The Motherlobe was equipped with an unusual pneumatic rail system that could be used to traverse the grounds quickly. Tanya thought it was an overcomplicated mess, personally, but it did have several advantages. Namely, it utilized a complex psychic password that was difficult to explain with language, by design. So only authorized users could make use of it, and you could only access areas that you had the proper codes for, and even then only if your thinkerprint, the term used for the saved brain scans the psychonauts used for authentication, was authorized to enter that area.

It was much less secure than that made it sound in practice, but that was primarily human error. For example, Lili could go wherever the hell she wanted, as she knows all the codes and Truman allowed her to have full access to everything. Anything you allowed a seven year old girl to see could never be considered secure.

The on-base housing had several outlets for the system, which was controlled by an actual switchboard operator. They were efficient, however: it took only ten minutes of waiting in line to get on her way to Otto's laboratory, as the man still preferred to take a personal hand in onboarding new employees. Given how rare psionic engineers were, Tanya knew that Agent Mentalis was one of the only technicians who wasn't swamped with work, and that was the privilege of rank more than anything else, so handling employee training was rather efficient of him.

Agent Mentalis appeared to be contemplating something related to the psychoportal, given the blackboard filled with design equations and the pile of doors on the man's desk. "Oh, Tanya." He said, somewhat befuddled. "Were you starting today? Where is my head this morning?" He stood up, pausing to get his bearings. He looked like he needed coffee. "You know where the lockers are, yours is…" He spent a moment referencing his mental database. "02, I think. Hopefully the jumpsuit fits, it's the smallest size we have. Take your time, I'll need a few minutes to get ready for you."

The technician's locker rooms weren't actually attached to Otto's laboratory, but were instead in the actual maintenance department, deep in the Motherlobe's second basement. Fortunately, there was a direct tunnel between those two spots, so Tanya didn't need to wait very long at all for the switchboard to send her to the appropriate area.

There wasn't anything particularly notable about the maintenance department, it was a parts/tools warehouse with an office attached. Massive doors were in the far end to receive shipments via the semi-trucks, and one of the technicians was already hard at work receiving a shipment of cathode ray tube monitors. With that many… were they finally going to retrofit the Motherlobe's nerve center?

Tanya filed that piece of information away as she ducked into the women's locker room. As promised, the locker with the number 02 had a key in the lock, and upon opening, held three protective utility jumpsuits.

The jumpsuit was at least one size too large for her petite frame, but it secured easily to her wrists, ankles, and collar, tiny psitanium locks holding things together like powerful magnets. She was sixteen, so she was likely not getting much taller than her current five foot four, which was actually a rather average height for a girl, so clearly the problem was in the jumpsuits being ordered. Come to think of it, did she ever see a female technician throughout her years working on her degrees here? There was Angela, that Swiss girl who was exceptionally tall and muscular… she looked again at her locker number, and the dumbbell stickers on 01 bragging about her lifting numbers, and the utter lack of personalization on literally every other locker. That explains that.

She looked at herself in the mirror, bending and stretching to test the range of movement. She kind of liked it. She could wear ordinary, even bulky clothing underneath it and you wouldn't be able to tell. If it were tighter, it would probably remind her too much of her old flight suit. Not the kind of thing she'd want to wear every day if she had another option.

"Oh, Tanya!" The aforementioned woman said as she entered the locker room, her long blonde hair already tied up. "It's good to see another girl on the team. Officially, I mean." She then shamelessly removed her army-style pants without another word and opened up her locker to get her much larger jumpsuit on. "That jumpsuit is still too big, huh? It looks cute."

Tanya nodded. "I think I'll keep using this one." She said conversationally.

"Good call." Angela agreed, securing the psychic locks of her own jumpsuit. "By the way, Jerry wanted me to tell you that you're going to be starting on working through the regular maintenance backlog instead of handling support tickets. We're three weeks behind."

"Sensible." Tanya said, wincing at the length of the task before her.

"Make sure Otto trains you on the thinkerprint scanners, because that's your entire first week right there." Angela said as she walked out of the locker room, Tanya following close behind. "Don't let him talk you into overtime. Hollis is a tightass about overtime, so don't do it, or the whole department's in trouble." Tanya was beginning to understand why they were three weeks behind. "Just do your eight hours and pack up."

"Understood." Tanya said, approaching the tube system access. "Have a productive day, Angela."

"Have fun with Otto, Tanya." Angela said. "Don't expect to get started on actual work today. See you at quitting time." She veered off to the admin desk to receive her own assignment from the maintenance supervisor, Jerry.

After a few more minutes of waiting in line, Tanya made her way back to Agent Mentalis. "Reporting for duty, sir." Tanya said, adjusting her tone to a more informal one as Agent Mentalis preferred.

"Ah, Tanya, yes. First thing's first: I need to show you around the filing system." He placed one of the psychoportals on his own forehead. "Hop on in."

With only a second's concentration, Tanya ejected her consciousness into the Psychonaut's mind.

---------------------

"Welcome back to the database." Agent Mentalis said as they arrived in a massive… well, Tanya's immediate thought was 'server farm', but it was more a room with four massive computers, surrounded by bookshelves filled with punch cards. "I've given you the appropriate access level for your position, and you get to keep the access to the academic materials just like you did as a student." Two massive portions of the punch card archives lit up, denoting which sections she now had access to. He chuckled. "I'm sure you remember how to use this place?"

Tanya nodded. "I was told I'd be starting on maintaining the thinkerprint scanners."

"You are?" Agent Mentalis asked. One of the punch cards shot out and inserted itself in the computer next to his mental representation. A sheet of paper shot out of the device, far faster than any printer should be. "...Yes, we're rather behind on that, aren't we?" He said after reading the printout.

"Does your budget allow for additional hires?" Tanya asked, curious. "I'm a little surprised to be the only new person, given that it's right after graduation." In corporate Japan, the onboarding season coincided with college graduation for a reason, and only hiring one new person seems… inefficient.

"Oh, it does, but only about four more spots. Hollis doesn't let me interview them until after she's narrowed it down a bit, so that'll be next week. You skipped the line." Agent Mentalis explained. "She likes handling it herself so she can catch infiltrators." He sighed. "She needs to find someone else to do that kind of thing, ever since Agent Mikhailov got killed by that Soviet sabotage; she refused to replace him."

Well, that seemed like they were just being slow, not having already done all of the necessary interviewing before graduation day, but Tanya already knew that the Psychonauts' HR department wasn't up to her standards, so she kept her peace on the matter.

"Well, I'll show you where everything is, and then we can chat. There's this legislation being talked about by Congress, and if it passes, and it might, we'll need to put in a safeguard in our Psychoportals to stop them from being used to invade the minds of minors." Agent Mentalis said, creating constructs that labeled each of the shelves with the category. The punch cards were not literally punch cards, but instead representations of data that Agent Mentalis altered his mind in order to store without decay. By reaching out, you weren't literally plucking the data from the storage, but instead communicating with the subsystem that operated the database to retrieve the necessary data. Picking the right spot on the wall to focus on was partially to increase fidelity of the request but also as a pseudo-security measure. Attempting to access something incorrectly alerted Agent Mentalis, who would investigate.

Fortunately, Tanya was well aware of the memory techniques that were used to encrypt and preserve data exchanges between Psychonauts. She memorized the display without trouble. Making a mistake in the future was unlikely.

After about three hours of going over how to navigate the database to get at any maintenance instructions for the various devices, as well as walking her through the thinkerprint scanner's maintenance (which included the maintenance on the actual doors), Tanya left Agent Mentalis' mind and looked over the tentative sketches of alterations to the psychoportal.

"An age limit? On the psychoportal?" Tanya asked to confirm.

"Yes, I'm baffled on how to make something consistent like that as well." Agent Mentalis said.

Hrm. "Theoretically, the thinkerprint scanner device is capable of an authentication routine." Tanya said. "As in, authentication processes other than database matching." Was the reason she brought this up because she just spent over an hour learning about that device in painstaking detail? Yes. Was it still relevant? Also yes.

Agent Mentalis nodded. "True, true. But how do you isolate age? Memory storage isn't consistent enough for some kind of size-based scan. It wouldn't be able to distinguish compressed or traumatic memories from ordinary ones. Fifty-fifty success rate, and we'd need to do a massive brain scan study of both minors and adults to even manage that much."

"Unusable, I agree." Tanya replied. "It seems to me that our priority is not ensuring the efficacy of the precaution, but instead minimizing the false positives. Something that works, but is easy to fool, would be more palatable to the Psychonauts top brass than something that works well, but also locks out many adults from using the psychoportal."

Agent Mentalis frowned. "I don't like the idea of making a security or safety precaution that's ineffective." He said.

"I don't like the idea of the government imposing such a ridiculous limit on the construction of the Psychoportal." Tanya retorted. "It won't fix anything, as psychoportals aren't actually necessary to enter someone's mind. It's like banning birth control to encourage people to not have sex." Which was unfortunately topical.

Nodding along, Agent Mentalis smiled as he looked at the board again. "Yes, you're right. We just need to make it look effective."

Tanya hummed in agreement. "It's just security theater." She added, which was probably coining the term, come to think of it. "It doesn't matter how many issues it does or does not fix, it lets the government and the Psychonauts win points by looking like they're doing something about the so-called problem." Just banning entering the minds of children outside of medical treatments was all they needed to do.

"Did you have something in mind?" Agent Mentalis asked as he telekinetically brought a second clean blackboard to him.

She didn't, but a moment of thinking how the thinkerprint scanners work... "Just have it ask someone how old they are, and if it's a number less than eighteen, stop it." Just like internet porn sites.

"Yes… yes! If you do it right, it's pretty difficult to lie to a thinkerprint scanner, but not impossible. Especially if it's at touch range, most methods rely on the distance between the scanner and the head in question." Agent Mentalis said, rambling as he drew out the design change.

"But a little bit of hypnosis, self-directed or otherwise, would completely fool it." Tanya added. "The bypass would require you to know how the safeguard works, and concealing that information for security reasons shouldn't be difficult. They won't even need to know how flimsy the protection is, as long as they can tell themselves that it exists."

"It sounds like we have a plan, or at least enough of one to start prototyping." Agent Mentalis said. "Fitting the authenticator into the psychoportal without compromising the other functions is going to be difficult." One of the psychoportals floated to her. "Disassemble that, will you?"

Remembering what Angela said about getting things done today, Tanya followed the wisdom of her first life: suck up to the boss when possible. "Yes sir." She said, telekinetically fetching one of the several toolsets in the room.

"After you're done with that, start running numbers on how much extra space we have to fit the new module in." Agent Mentalis instructed. "It'll have to be attached to the throttle I made to stop that other issue… can we make it thinner?"

"We may need to make the psychoportal thicker." Tanya said warningly. "It would take months to replace or retrofit our inventory, but it could be done." It was currently about as large as a smartphone, but not one with a case. It could still be a convenient size with a little extra volume. The department already had to essentially hand-craft all examples of psychic technology, with outside contractors only fabricating the metal, rubber, and plastic parts.

"They haven't passed the bill yet." Agent Mentalis replied. "If they do, and we do need to modify every one like that, we can demand a budget increase. We just need a prototype and a quote on how much money it's going to cost us to Hollis."

Tanya hummed in acknowledgement as they continued to pry the psitanium out of the psychoportal's stainless steel frame. There was a certain satisfaction to creating something with one's own hands… even if a lot of the time the hands were telekinetic or even metaphorical, when one was reshaping the psitanium.

It was a fantastic first day of… the next ten years, at a guess.

---------------------

Tanya never did end up doing any of the maintenance tasks she was nominally supposed to do that day, instead playing minion for Agent Mentalis the entire day. As it turned out, to fit the scanner module, they would have to remove pretty much all of the redundancies in the psychoportal, vastly reducing its operational lifespan and durability. As a piece of field equipment that is frequently exposed to rough handling, this is unacceptable.

The solution was simple, if labor-intensive: they estimated how much it would cost to replace every single psychoportal with a superior, even more robust design that included the scanner, doubled it, and sent the figure to Agent Hollis to bludgeon Congress with. Either they reconsider their stupid bill or the tech budget gets a nice infusion for the trouble, both of which were considered a win as far as Agent Mentalis was concerned.

"I'm officially off the clock." Tanya announced.

"I moved your prototype over there." Agent Mentalis said, gesturing to a different desk than the one she used as a student. "Do you need any more psitanium or anything?"

Actually… "I could use one of your spare brains, actually." Tanya said.

Agent Mentalis frowned. "Why?"

"The prototype's sequestration function needs testing." Tanya explained. She had been quite busy in the last few months of her Masters program. "Specifically, it uses the principles behind the psychoportal to section off a portion of the mind's periphery to create a segment of mind that's isolated from the rest."

"...I wouldn't want to test that on anyone I liked, either." Agent Mentalis admits. "But I don't have any spare brains. They're all spoken for."

"Not even any John Does?" Tanya asked. She was never allowed access to Agent Mentalis' collection of 'dead' brains. They still generated significant amounts of mental energy and could be directed to various purposes, mostly the synthesis of psitanium, but they had no higher thoughts. "It's for science, after all."

"I don't think so." Agent Mentalis replies, unsure. "Go ahead and check if you want. It's been a while since I've looked through the list. I've cut the maintenance down enough that I don't need to do it myself anymore." He paused. "Actually, it's due for maintenance tomorrow, take care of that in the morning after you clock in, it'll be important to know when you do get a test brain. I'll earmark the next one that comes in for you. Most months I get one or two."

"Thank you." Tanya said as she approached the brainframe, the massive device Agent Mentalis used to manage his brain collection. It was rather intimidating, actually. It most heavily resembled a factory machine you'd find at a beverage plant, ferrying the orbs filled with fluid and brains to and fro for… processing. It was controlled by the latest of computational technology: a personal computer with a database for each brain that needed command prompts to accomplish anything.

Fortunately, one advantage to needing to actually learn her profession rather than already knowing most of how to do it from her previous lives included training on soon-to-be-obsolete hardware like this. Tanya wrote queries without hesitation, performing in dozens of commands what in her first life could be accomplished with a few hotkeys. In the end… "Harry Heptadome?" Tanya asked. "There's not even a file on here, it's just a name and a note that the brain was found in the Heptadome." It was all but literally a John Doe, the exact thing that Agent Mentalis asserted did not exist in his stores.

Agent Mentalis stared into space for a moment, presumably accessing the artificial memory storage he installed in his head for everyone to use. "...Oh, I remember that one now!" He exclaimed. "I did find it in the Heptadome." He spent another moment staring into space. "I don't seem to have filed any additional data about it. When I found it, what tests I ran, the results of those tests… Nothing." He frowned, wringing his hands as he realized that he may be facing something anyone in positions of responsibility fears: legal liability. "It must be in the dark archives, if it's anywhere." He sounded resigned at that. "I'm far too busy to go digging in there, but I'll allow you access. You need local access to reach them, so…" One of the portals floated up and attached itself to the back of his head. He looked back towards Tanya despondently "The dark archives are where I keep a lot of private memories, the ones that I'm happier not remembering." Ah. Tanya knows a lot about those. Those are kept in the deepest recesses of her memory tomb. "So be careful, and try not to indulge your curiosity. Find what you need, and get out."

"Very well." Tanya replied. "I can promise the utmost of discretion." Seating herself at one of the desks nearby, she projected her consciousness into the Psychportal.

"Again, be careful. Some things… are best left forgotten."

Back