The unorthodox parts come from things like writing a rational reverse portal fantasy (that is also a commentary on the differences between rational and traditional fiction) and making an actual plot out of "what would this extremely powerful character do if they were allowed and encouraged to think straight for once?" Picking the character who would have been a natural rationalist if not for the plot and can see into other people's minds to compare facilitates the unorthodox parts. :) Actually, my plot wouldn't work with any other character in M:tG.

I don't know if my earlier post implied disappointment on my part about it being Jace, and if it did, that was not the intention at all! I really like Jace as a character and the potential he has for awesome rational stuff, so, you've already got yourself a reader.

As for your other points, I'm still very much walking baby steps in rational analysis, and so many "hidden" hints you mentioned just whooshed over my head. But it was indeed fun.

Do you have an ETA for the story? And have you found a suitable framework for displaying it already?

I don't know if my earlier post implied disappointment on my part about it being Jace, and if it did, that was not the intention at all!

It didn't! It did seem to imply surprise at my picking the obvious character, though, which didn't mesh with my understanding that M:tG doesn't have a rational fanfic yet, so the very obvious potential of "take the plot-imposed thought limiters off Jace and watch him go" is still ripe and unexplored.

Actually, I have thoughts about why M:tG doesn't have a rational fanfic yet, and those are related. Let's consider the known strategies for converting an existing franchise for rational fiction:

What happens if we run the Multiverse from the beginning under rational fiction rules? Nicol Bolas recursively self-improves into Immortal Superintelligent Supreme Ruler of the Multiverse before any of the rest of the official storyline has a chance to happen. Setting unrecognizable, large majority of recognizable characters never born, no serious opposition possible, and the author has to write a superintelligence. Not very viable.

What happens if we turn down the power level and try to preserve a recognizable setting and history under rational fiction rules? (Note that this is part of what HPMOR did with the Harry Potter canon.) Well, mind magic has to be nerfed in some consistent way to prevent hard takeoff. Then time travel has to be nerfed, both for takeoff acceleration and general exploitability. Then reality warping also has to be nerfed. In addition to breaking several characters' powersets and the plot events that depend on them, this breaks much of Blue's identity and strengths in the color pie, forcing either severe rebalancing of the other colors or leaving an obviously weakened color in place and letting it warp the color relationships and the setting accordingly. Not very viable. (Observe that M:tG quests with rational fiction-style attitudes make this work by cutting the PCs off from the larger Multiverse as well as from the full powers of a Planeswalker somehow. This keeps the PCs from being crushed. Such a division could work for a "local" low-powered rational fic, but must be explained very well or the greater powers elsewhere will crush the barrier in taking over the Multiverse.)

What happens if we turn up the challenge level and try to preserve a recognizable setting and history under rational fiction rules? (This is the other part of what HPMOR did with the Harry Potter canon.) Let's see where extra challenges have to be added:
  • Recursive self-improvement is tricky. Even very slow takeoffs, allowed from the beginning, have to stall somewhere (because of the large number of long-lived / immortal characters) or someone winds up as Immortal Superintelligent Supreme Ruler of the Multiverse. The harder the takeoff, the less time characters can have to try it before something stops them; otherwise they gain enough power to smash the plot. (Even if two or more opposed characters / factions are set up with similar takeoff trajectories to keep them in dramatic tension, they'll gain enough power to smash the rest of the plot and the balancing gets harder and less believable the higher the power levels go.) And this has to be done while leaving the high-powered mind magic around and accessible over and over again through history.
  • The persistent societal and technological stagnation on many planes has to be explained somehow. Especially on higher-technology planes. Where are the people inventing out of desire to improve their lives? Where are the technological arms races? Why aren't they on every inhabited plane? (They show up sometimes, when it's convenient for some story, and mysteriously fail to appear elsewhere.)
    • It would be nice if conflicts didn't turn into "everyone is fragile; surprise is almost always decisive". That requires characters not to think of the myriad lethal uses for their powers. (And if they did, their societies would adapt to that or die.)
  • Characters have to repeatedly be given reasons not to permanently end threats even with the powers they have; otherwise their desire to end the plot runs rampant. (M:tG has this problem worse than most franchises, because it has to stretch its overarching storyline indefinitely rather than just long enough to finish a series.)
  • Whatever challenges are put in place to enforce all these, they must be immune or highly resistant to characters working around them.

This looks more and more like it's only viable if we're willing to postulate a force of narrative outright. And if we're going to have a force of narrative in a work of rational fiction, then we also need some way for characters to discover and deal with that force in order to preserve the cardinal rule: nothing happens or doesn't happen because the plot of the rational work demands it. And we'd like an explanation for why that force exists and some understanding of how it works.

So just thinking through how a rational Magic: the Gathering fanfic could work should lead to the clean explanation and cause for discovery of the narrative force: reverse portal fantasy! And once we have that, it heavily invites commentary and choosing characters that are well-positioned to make that commentary and wind up on Earth in the first place without immediately being discovered and crashing the game through Earth's reactions. Hence the premise of "Telepath Unbound".

(This coalesced for me after seeing r/rational's "Reverse Portal Fantasy" prompt.)

I really like Jace as a character and the potential he has for awesome rational stuff, so, you've already got yourself a reader.

Good!

As for your other points, I'm still very much walking baby steps in rational analysis, and so many "hidden" hints you mentioned just whooshed over my head. But it was indeed fun.

That's okay! We both had fun, and presumably you learned something from seeing me work through what the hints implied. :)

Do you have an ETA for the story? And have you found a suitable framework for displaying it already?

ETA: unknown. Technical issues have been slowing me down. :( I should get to bug my neuroscience beta tonight, though!

Display framework: probably Archive of Our Own, unless I hear of a better one.

Chapter 9: Synchronicity
The same day that your blue is one-fifth full, you walk out to the location of the original Thopter, and use a small amount of Black mana to make another 'Thopter. With a bit more of the black, you make another two Memnites, which don't seem to actually eat anything that you can tell.

Am I ruthless enough to sacrifice these two? I mean, new ones don't have much of a personality. They aren't really fully sentient, right? Just expert systems, at least for now? No, I should be precise. Simple Golems.

"Alright, I want you to put that machine through it's paces. You are both the ground crew and pilot and copilot. Inspect it, test the functionality and the controls, alert me if there is anything I need to know about, and take it for a small test flight, and then land safely, to the best of your ability, and report back to me. Take no undue risks in carrying out this task."

You watch as they start to check over the airplane, you find Pyotr has wandered over to visit you. He's quiet for a time, then speaks up.

"You don't want them to die, like the kobolds did."

You stay silent, but your face apparently betrays your emotions. He speaks up.

"We are in an unknown land, with unknown enemies. But we are making a civilization, ya? I had friends, in the Saloon. They saw war. They saw command. They saw their men die, and had to live with themselves. They thought their orders led to their men dying."

He looks somber. "I fled war, and was lucky to get to the United States. I was closer to war than most. Maybe that is why they could talk to me more than some of the others. Mostly, I just listened. I was there for them, so they could open up at their own pace. You've made a hard decision, and you will no doubt make more. If you ever want to talk about that, to ground yourself, I'm here for you."

You allow yourself the smallest amount of a grin, as the Memnarchs start to go into the Ornithopter and test the various actuators and the flapping of the wings and the tail. Eventually, the flaps increase, and it takes off from the water. It does not gain much altitude, and is moving quite slowly, as they start to test it's ability to turn side to side in a gentle bank. Frowning, you watch it dip closer and closer to the water, and a wingtip dips into the water. You stand up as the thopter crashes into the water, as if in slow motion. As it starts to sink, so does your heart. Pyotr holds his hand on your shoulder as you watch.

Slowly, there's a disturbance in the water, and the two Memnarchs start to walk out of the saltwater beach toward you, having walked on the sea floor. One of them deposits a broken wooden lever, part of the control fixtures of the ornithopter in front of you. They seem a little banged up, but not too much worse for the wear.

It's you that breaks the silence, "Well, that answers that question."

The next day, when blue is 2/5ths full, you start to learn Enlightened Tutor, the hard way. Before you start learning, you make certain to check to see if Goblin Electromancer is available, and spend some time focusing on it for a little bit, making sure to get it as firmly in mind as much as possible. Luckily, it is present.

Well that means that the dual mana options are available at least. Or at least some of them. Good to know. Should I look for something in particular?

You don't cast any more spells the next three days, spending some time cataloguing the available books in the meantime, and inspecting the farms. Pyotr has to cure you of some sort of case of the sniffles, but the days are otherwise uneventful.

Finally, I have a Blue mana, and a choice to make. Now, do I cast Clairvoyance again, to try for Goblin Electromancer? Or cast Personal Tutor, and try to get some other question answered? There's still about two days, ish, left to learn Enlightened Tutor. But what do I ask the Tutor?

However, the lure of CMC 2 spells is too great, and you decide to try and cast Clairvoyance while focusing on Goblin Electromancer. Rather than an image of a distant place, a spell forms in your mind, almost complete. It is... Shimmering Wings?

More randomness, maybe? I've been thinking of this spell, though? But that's one I've thought of and inspected... somewhat recently? Does that matter? Or is it just one of the spells I could learn?

Still, it's another two days to finish learning Enlightened Tutor, the slow way, and one more day to learn Shimmering Wings. You could cast Enlightened Tutor now, and in two days, cast another Blue spell of some sort -- maybe Clairvoyance? Or Enlightened Tutor?

But what things should I ask the sages, now that I have access to two of them?

I lurk but also have exactly zero clue on how to best proceed. However, I would like to cast enlightened tutor as soon as possible and ask it what we should do :p. Also, I would like to see if we can in some way gain additional skilled labor and industry going on our little private island as a precaution.

I need to reread this to refresh my memory, but I think the enlightened tutor should be a priority , though I can't remember what questions were asked and should be asked.
I like this quest and hope it continues.

Well, here's a (belated) reaction/action plan:

• Clairvoyance somehow works off of what I'll call priming in the interest of not repeating 'doing thematic things, and generally mediating on the topic'
  • We need more information ASAP, and given the amount of time on our hands, I'd prefer more info of a lower quality than vice versa. Some appropriate questions for that might be 'what would you describe as the basic framework for magic' (which we probably won't get), 'what book (of those I have access to) best describes magic'
  • we could also opt for a more straightforward approach 'how to I make my soul better/increase my metaphysical heft' however being an enlightened tutor, we probably won't get a straight answer.
  • Given our bottleneck on blues, the off-chance that clairvoyance gives us the most suitable spell, plus the potential benefits, I'd say go for the shimmering wings.
A good question for the tutor might be something to the effect of: 'how does the soul interact with enchantments and casting'

I kind of feel like the tutor is a bit cheaty, so instead I think I want to play around with the exploration bits. Lets get us a pair of nice and shimmery wings, and see what else we can see, maybe get a solid look at the land ourselves.

Its a bit worrying that were still sick, but theres not much that we can do to stop that yet, without access to more mana. Searching for a second or third blue source to tap into is probably the best bet if we want to start accelerating growth.

(Its a necro, but I got permission first! Also hopefully new interest will be spawned...)

Back