Philosopher's Champion (Worm OC Quest)

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

One massive shape moves above you in the night sky, it's head glancing towards you as it sheds...
Character Creation 0.1

phoenixfryre

Banned Forever
Banned
One massive shape moves above you in the night sky, it's head glancing towards you as it sheds lights between the stars.

The grain of shining dust they are shedding are falling towards you, clear as day, getting bigger and bigger, one of them coming straight for you. It is a crystal, multifaceted, filled with potential, with power with possibilities and with the need to learn, to push beyond the limits and to fight: the other, the authority, the world, it doesn't matter...

[] The Power of Powers, you have two slots and you can reach for and grab any category of power. You could feel two more slots but they felt oddly jammed as if waiting for something.

Pros: You're literally Eidolon lite, each time you change roll 1d8+2 for the category you pick, as you achieve better sync you'll unlock two more slots and your body is fixed of any defects it might have had.

You're a blindspot to precognitive and postcognitive thinker powers, all of them.

Cons: Your eyes are pure blue, not blue irises but literally blue they're filled in with blue. You've somehow hidden them so far by not going to school after your trigger but eventually, you'll have to go, and nothing but tinkertech's stopping those eyes.

You're Eidolon lite for a reason, whilst he can just roll his slots and always get a 9 or higher rated power there's a legitimate chance you get a lower rated power, though thankfully you charge faster than him.

[] The Master of Gravity, your power is absolute control over one of the primary forces in existence. Though you can't pluck a fruit in Australia from Canada, well not yet anyway.

Pros: Gravity is a force that just exists, throughout the solar system. You're not limited to merely Earth, eventually, you may attain nearby asteroids and planets in your area of influence.

You can dismiss, create or influence black holes and other gravitational effects anywhere you want, though this aspect of your power starts off weak and nearly unusable.

Cons: You start off fairly weak, though constant use of your power will increase your capacity at the beginning you are not nearly at the power a Master of Gravity would presume to be. (Range - 100 Meters)

Your Iris has three golden rings in it, whilst it can be explained as a genetic anomaly you'll be under PRT and Gang supervision.

[] Forerunner Tinker, your power is to make extremely advanced technology, maybe tens of millennia advanced compared to Earth's current tech. With enough effort, you could make constructs that could cleanse a portion of the galaxy of all organic life forms.

Pros: You have extremely high powered tech plans, though not all are unlocked.

You have the ability to power said extremely powerful technology plans.

You can make literal spaceships kilometres long, well you can think about them.

Cons: You are Earthbound, the amount of technology you can make will always be bound by the infrastructure that is not there for you to use.

Your eye has the 'Reclaimer' Glyph in the pupil, you could claim it was a genetic disorder but honestly, who'd believe you?

Any serious Forerunner technology obviously needs you to have access to tools you'll have to build, which you'll have to build using far inferior tools than actual Forerunner tools, in any event, be prepared for your tech to be significantly weaker until you continue to have resource troubles. [/Spoiler]

And then I woke up, the same dream again since the day.

Groggy from sleep, I groaned as my hands flailed around until I managed to stop the alarm. Then, I rolled out of the bed, sighing at the calendar with my eyes half shut.

[] 2005-04-01, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada.
[] 2009-11-01, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
[] 2011-03-01, Brockton Bay, New Hampshire, USA
[] 1999-10-01, Nagasaki, Kyushu, Japan

Thunk "Owwwww..."

I literally rolled out of the bed. After rubbing my poor nose, I managed to move towards the bathroom, only barely glancing the mirror, looking at the same face I saw every morning in the mirror.

[] Boy

[] Girl

"Honey, breakfast is ready! Don't make me get up there!"

It had been a month since I stopped going to school, I was fit for it days ago. Trauma wouldn' stop mom again, nor would my looks. Maybe I could play hooky? Fake being ill?

[] Name and Surname

Well, I'll leave this up for...5 hours? After that, we'll continue character creation. To anybody that follows any of my other works, nothing's abandoned and this isn't new per se as much as a story I wanted to and had written 10k words for being flattened into a quest because writing quests is often easier than a story.

I do need to ask though, are the powers too powerful? Should I reduce them?

Last edited:
[x] The Master of Gravity, your power is absolute control over one of the primary forces in existence. Though you can't pluck a fruit in Australia from Canada, well not yet anyway.
[x] 1999-10-01, Nagasaki, Kyushu, Japan
[x] Girl
[x] Billy Doyle

Can't remember a Worm story that started at Kyushu

Last edited:
Shared votes across SB/SV?
Yes, shared votes across forums.
Adhoc vote count started by phoenixfryre on Feb 28, 2019 at 12:10 PM, finished with 21 posts and 10 votes.

• [x] 1999-10-01, Nagasaki, Kyushu, Japan
    [x] Girl
    [x] The Master of Gravity, your power is absolute control over one of the primary forces in existence. Though you can't pluck a fruit in Australia from Canada, well not yet anyway.
    [X] Boy
    [X] Forerunner Tinker, your power is to make extremely advanced technology, maybe tens of millennia advanced compared to Earth's current tech. With enough effort, you could make constructs that could cleanse a portion of the galaxy of all organic life forms.
    [X] The Power of Powers, you have two slots and you can reach for and grab any category of power. You could feel two more slots but they felt oddly jammed as if waiting for something.
    [X] 2005-04-01, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada.
    [x] Maya-Dominik Rhodes
    [x] Billy Doyle
    [X] Fujiwara Noburo (Noburo Fujiwara in western countries)
    [X] Fujiwara Noburo

[x] Girl
[x] Billy Doyle

This is the perfect vote @krahe

The powers are quite out there on the power scale, so I'd rather take the Gravity thing where we can begin small and have a sense of progress.

Beginning in one Leviathan's worst rampage should be fun and it also mean the storyline will be completely different from canon, considering how early we start. All good really.

Last edited:
The powers are quite out there on the power scale, so I'd rather take the Gravity thing where we can begin small and have a sense of progress.

To be honest, I tried to balance you guys, the options have obvious flaws. If you be Eidolon-lite you can say ta-ta to secrecy and you start of fairly weaker than Eidolon only really catching up (as much as you can) once you've got all four slots, for the Master of Gravity I went with a range limit that'll continue extending with continued use and for Forerunner Tinker, well the abysmal tinker base plus what happened to the last guy that tinkered with A.I (And none of the options but the first are blanks) combined with the massive time required is the trade off, if you survive with that option. Well, the pay off is the largest there. So is the threat.
Adhoc vote count started by phoenixfryre on Feb 28, 2019 at 7:37 AM, finished with 6 posts and 3 votes.

• [x] The Master of Gravity, your power is absolute control over one of the primary forces in existence. Though you can't pluck a fruit in Australia from Canada, well not yet anyway.
    [x] Girl
    [x] Billy Doyle
    [X] Boy

Adhoc vote count started by phoenixfryre on Feb 28, 2019 at 7:37 AM, finished with 6 posts and 3 votes.

• [x] The Master of Gravity, your power is absolute control over one of the primary forces in existence. Though you can't pluck a fruit in Australia from Canada, well not yet anyway.
    [x] Girl
    [x] Billy Doyle
    [X] Boy

[X] The Master of Gravity, your power is absolute control over one of the primary forces in existence. Though you can't pluck a fruit in Australia from Canada, well not yet anyway.
[X] 1999-10-01, Nagasaki, Kyushu, Japan
[X] Boy

[X]1999-10-01, Nagasaki, Kyushu, Japan

[X] Forerunner Tinker, your power is to make extremely advanced technology, maybe tens of millennia advanced compared to Earth's current tech. With enough effort, you could make constructs that could cleanse a portion of the galaxy of all organic life forms.
[X] Boy
[X] Fujiwara Noburo

Last edited:
To be honest, I tried to balance you guys, the options have obvious flaws. If you be Eidolon-lite you can say ta-ta to secrecy and you start of fairly weaker than Eidolon only really catching up (as much as you can) once you've got all four slots, for the Master of Gravity I went with a range limit that'll continue extending with continued use and for Forerunner Tinker, well the abysmal tinker base plus what happened to the last guy that tinkered with A.I (And none of the options but the first are blanks) combined with the massive time required is the trade off, if you survive with that option. Well, the pay off is the largest there. So is the threat.
Eidolon : The eyes can be fixed by sunglasses, stranger powers, or "I was a victim of a villain", and catching up to Eidolon is literally more then most could ever dream of in their lives. Besides while he can get better then us on raw power we can change faster, (presumably) keep what we got longer. He also can't chose the categories that he uses where as we can and can just keep re-rolling. There is also the risk of being able to tinker.

Tinker: Tinkers in quests run into the constant risk of turning into a boring cycle of development because, in general, most posters (myself included) are unwilling to take risks. Unlike others on this list the tinker option has combat as a weakener. A Tinker who goes into combat often has less stuff, development time, and more injuries then a tinker who just tinkers, discouraging combat. I have seen a lot of tinker quests fall into this trap and never escape. The resource problem is quickly migrated by joining a group who would then supply the tinker.
Besides from what little I know most of the forerunner stuff is fairly lethal, which does cause problems for the unwritten rules. I would like to see our use case for cleansing a portion of the galaxy of organic life.

"... and that is why you should give me the resources to build a giant ring that would kill almost everyone on earth and a fair bit of the surrounding area."

Last edited:
[X] The Power of Powers, you have two slots and you can reach for and grab any category of power. You could feel two more slots but they felt oddly jammed as if waiting for something.

[X] Boy

Eidolon : The eyes can be fixed by sunglasses, stranger powers, or "I was a victim of a villain", and catching up to Eidolon is literally more then most could ever dream of in their lives. Besides while he can get better then us on raw power we can change faster, (presumably) keep what we got longer. He also can't chose the categories that he uses where as we can and can just keep re-rolling. There is also the risk of being able to tinker.

Tinker: Tinkers in quests run into the constant risk of turning into a boring cycle of development because, in general, most posters (myself included) are unwilling to take risks. Unlike others on this list the tinker option has combat as a weakener. A Tinker who goes into combat often has less stuff, development time, and more injuries then a tinker who just tinkers, discouraging combat. I have seen a lot of tinker quests fall into this trap and never escape. The resource problem is quickly migrated by joining a group who would then supply the tinker.
Besides from what little I know most of the forerunner stuff is fairly lethal, which does cause problems for the unwritten rules. I would like to see our use case for cleansing a portion of the galaxy of organic life.

"... and that is why you should give me the resources to build a giant ring that would kill almost everyone on earth and a fair bit of the surrounding area."

That's less of Earth and a bit of surrounding and more of a 1/8th of a galaxy. To be fair, you'd need resources on a galactic scale to even attempt to make the Halo system.

Forerunners do have tech to non-lethally put down people, I mean I presume if you can make giant lasers and stars you could make a bloody taser and some tranqs.

Well anyways, with your vote it's a tie between Eidolon lite and Master of Gravity. Nevermind then, with the recent vote its:

6 (Power of Powers) - 7 (Forerunner Tinker) - 5 (Master of Gravity)

Also the issue with infrastructure has less to do with resources and everything to do with the sheer difference you'd have in tech bases of Earth Bet and the Forerunners.
Adhoc vote count started by phoenixfryre on Feb 28, 2019 at 12:16 PM, finished with 20 posts and 9 votes.

[x] Girl
    [X] Boy
    [x] Maya-Dominik Rhodes
    [x] Billy Doyle
    [X] Fujiwara Noburo

Last edited:
so are we limited to Forerunner technology or halo like can we build master chief armor or other tech or what.

with power of powers can you be a tinker as well if we wanted to.

with power of powers can you be a tinker as well if we wanted to.

Yes

so are we limited to Forerunner technology or halo like can we build master chief armor or other tech or what.

Nope, but you can make Forerunner armour, if you dumb it down I presume you'll get Mjolnir armour.
Adhoc vote count started by phoenixfryre on Feb 28, 2019 at 11:59 AM, finished with 21 posts and 10 votes.

[x] Girl
    [X] Boy
    [x] Maya-Dominik Rhodes
    [x] Billy Doyle
    [X] Fujiwara Noburo

[X] Girl
[x] Maya-Dominik Rhodes

forerunners are sheer awesomeness and like 12+ level tinkers and not something you outdo merely with eidolon powers. Also a COMPLETE tech base so everything from lasers to biotech to literally everything the forerunners did. Hell yeah

Earliest start is the most interesting start by default and leaves the most oppourtunity for interesting times.

Girl and Maya-Dominik Rhodes because why ever not?

Last edited:
[X] Girl
[x] Maya-Dominik Rhodes

Is "Forerunner" some specific term from another sci-fi franchise that I am supposed to know?
Epic scale progenitor race from halo that are basically Malthusans but less magic pretending to be tech and more tech.

[X] Girl
[x] Maya-Dominik Rhodes

Character Creation 0.1 Results
7 Hours have passed I'm closing the first Character Creation Vote. [Combined Vote]

Power:

Number of voters: 5
krahe, Pempelune, NathanMedium, theflyingbiscuit, Conjured Blade

Number of voters: 7
woody12, Keani, SCO, johnny1010, Avther, Magni Imitator, MagisterShiryu

Number of voters: 8
Briefvoice, wingstrike96, veekie, Sirapthy, Yzarc, Swiftwolfbeta, Asmalar, MartialLaw

Date:

Number of voters: 5
Briefvoice, wingstrike96, veekie, Sirapthy, Yzarc

krahe, Pempelune, NathanMedium, theflyingbiscuit, woody12, Keani, SCO, johnny1010, Avther, Magni Imitator, MagisterShiryu, MartialLaw

[x] Girl
krahe, Pempelune, Keani, SCO, wingstrike96, veekie, Sirapthy

[X] Boy
Number of voters: 8
NathanMedium, woody12, Briefvoice, johnny1010, Avther, Magni Imitator, MagisterShiryu, MartialLaw

Name:

[x] Maya-Dominik Rhodes [Paired with Boy]
Number of voters: 3
Keani, SCO, wingstrike96

[x] Billy Doyle [Paired with Boy]
Number of voters: 2
krahe, Pempelune

[X] Fujiwara Noburo (Noburo Fujiwara in western countries) [Paired with Boy]
Number of voters: 1
NathanMedium, woody12

I see. So question about the power, do we get to choose what powers we use and do we get to reroll strength on a given power?

Like, say we want some kind of laser pew pew guy power, do we get to pick the if we get a blaster or even what blaster we get? And if we get say radiation lasers but we roll a 1 on strength so we are at blaster 3, if we ever get radiation laser power again do we roll again or is it permalocked to blaster 3 no matter what?

I see. So question about the power, do we get to choose what powers we use and do we get to reroll strength on a given power?

Like, say we want some kind of laser pew pew guy power, do we get to pick the if we get a blaster or even what blaster we get? And if we get say radiation lasers but we roll a 1 on strength so we are at blaster 3, if we ever get radiation laser power again do we roll again or is it permalocked to blaster 3 no matter what?

Since the Trump power won the vote I'll explain it's mechanics in detail, each turn you'll always have a write-in option to roll any of your slots for a new power. In character, the MC has a DC of 70 to roll for a new power in a stressful situation, as your experience increases his DC will lower as he becomes more comfortable in letting powers go and grabbing new ones. Another mechanic is you can roll all three powers at once and use limit break to effectively turn the roll of powers into a 1d8+4 compared to the regular 1d8+2 and remove your bonuses for your regular roll.

Being a generous gm, I have prepared a list of 192 powers to make the process interesting. I will share said list if you guys want it but otherwise it's spoilers I guess.

For example of the method, I've rolled for the second chapter:

/r 1d8+2

Overworked Dice BotBOTToday at 23:47

@Phoenix: 1d8+2 = (2)+2 = 4

Phoenix at 23:47

/r 1d8+2

@Phoenix: 1d8+2 = (6)+2 = 8

Since it's a first go I also rolled for which category you got but usually you can chose the category. You rolled Breaker and Breaker.

Powers as of Character Creation 0.1:

Breaker 4 - Shroedinger, You have the ability to perform multiple actions simultaneously on the quantum level, you are limited to 10 actions at a time and may put yourself in a state of superposition to exist in more than one place at a time.

Breaker 8 - Mirror Mirror, You can hop into a mirror dimension where nothing can harm you through any reflective surface, including the eye of a person. You may jump from mirror to mirror however if the item you used to jump in is broken you are expelled from the mirror dimension.

That's pretty much it.

You vote for the category each time, I roll a 1d8+2 dice and you get the most suitable power for that number on my list of 192 powers.

I do want to know if it's too complicated and if you have suggestions to better it.

Last edited:

Since the Trump power won the vote I'll explain it's mechanics in detail, each turn you'll always have a write-in option to roll any of your slots for a new power. In character, the MC has a DC of 70 to roll for a new power in a stressful situation, as your experience increases his DC will lower as he becomes more comfortable in letting powers go and grabbing new ones. Another mechanic is you can roll all three powers at once and use limit break to effectively turn the roll of powers into a 1d8+4 compared to the regular 1d8+2 and remove your bonuses for your regular roll.

Being a generous gm, I have prepared a list of 192 powers to make the process interesting. I will share said list if you guys want it but otherwise it's spoilers I guess.

For example of the method, I've rolled for the second chapter:

/r 1d8+2

@Phoenix: 1d8+2 = (2)+2 = 4

Phoenix at 23:47

/r 1d8+2

@Phoenix: 1d8+2 = (6)+2 = 8

Since it's a first go I also rolled for which category you got but usually you can chose the category. You rolled Breaker and Breaker.

Powers as of Character Creation 0.1:

Breaker 4 - Shroedinger, You have the ability to perform multiple actions simultaneously on the quantum level, you are limited to 10 actions at a time and may put yourself in a state of superposition to exist in more than one place at a time.

Breaker 8 - Mirror Mirror, You can hop into a mirror dimension where nothing can harm you through any reflective surface, including the eye of a person. You may jump from mirror to mirror however if the item you used to jump in is broken you are expelled from the mirror dimension.

That's pretty much it.

You vote for the category each time, I roll a 1d8+2 dice and you get the most suitable power for that number on my list of 192 powers.
So we pick a catagory, power is random of 16 in that catagory and strength is also random as a 1d8+2 and every time we get a power even if it's a power we've had before we roll strength again.

In the future we could get say mirror mirror at a 3.

Of course we can limit break and remove bonuses from a roll to roll a 1d8+4 and presumably by regular roll you mean crisis roll so it's a dc 70 with no bonuses.

did I get that right?

Also can we limit break outside stressful situations?

Back