Voting is open
Persona: HEAVEN (Persona/Sword Art Online/Isekai Fiction)
Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

The year is 2025.

Apathy Syndrome is now a medical curiosity.
The book has closed on the Inaba Murders.
The Antisocial Conspiracy lies in tatters.

And the Thousands of Souls trapped within «Sword Art Online» have finally come home.

But not for you. The death game was just the first step. Because mankind has become dissatisfied.

What was one world has become two.
What was two worlds has become many. Myriad.
A thousand worlds for a thousand souls. A million worlds for a million souls.

Mankind no longer denies death, lies, or control. They see their world and see it cannot be changed. So they desire once more.

For escape.

Enter the nascent worlds. Revel in the destruction. Tear down HEAVEN.

And deny mankind...

«Another World»( Isekai)

AN: A setting crossover between Persona and Sword Art Online - though focusing on all the parts of SAO nobody likes! (Also mild crossover elements with every isekai story ever)

AKA: I Got Mad that Isekai Cheat Slayer got Cancelled so I Decided to Make this Maximum Chunni Bullshit that's Too Complicated Instead.
Last edited:
Prologue: Ideal and the Real
AN: Let's try a new quest! This time instead of accidentally biting off more than I chew I am DEFINITELY biting off more than I can chew.

You're not drunk.

The dive bar was far from the expensive restaurants typically worthy of your expense budget, but today you want a place that would let you vomit all over the floor.

Another year of failure. You were getting a budget cut— again. No amount of begging and false promises could convince the investors to support ARGUS. Shigemura-sensei's initial excitement at FullDive technology has fallen almost as fast as your hopes for funding. If it wasn't for his capital you'd be out of a job, and his patience was clearly waning.

You could see the headlines now— billions of yen dumped into another failure of a VR gaming console, the name of Kayaba Akihiko forever tainted as the creator of the world's most expensive paperweight.

You're mad... but tired too. Too tired to scream, too tired to complain, too tired to do anything but sit in this stupid dump trying to pretend the world wasn't falling down on you for just one evening.

At least you weren't alone. Misery loves company.

"Hey Aki. Looks like you're starting early?" asked a familiar voice.

You turn your head. The star of the show today, Takuto Maruki wanders into the bar. The two of you went to Toto University together, and this was ostensibly his celebration. He grabs your drink, without your permission, and downs it one long gulp without even a hint of an apology.

"I got here first, so I get the right to start the celebrations. This is your party, so where is everyone?" you ask with a sigh.

Maruki ignores you, pouring another glass of his own. "You look older Aki."

You can't help but laugh into your liquor. "So do you. Must be the bags under the eyes."

Your college friend sheepishly scratches at his jaw while he shares in your laughter. "You should take up meditation Aki, it'll help your complexion. Would be a shame if you scared away Rinko by turning into an old man."

"Might be too late. I asked her where she was but just got a cryptic 'I'm busy'. And you know if she isn't showing up Sugou isn't coming. Seriously where is everyone? Don't tell me it's only the two of us?"

Another glass fills - the bottle was getting awfully close to being empty - as Takuto downs his second round before passing you a cup. "About that... sorry, I told them not to come. Today... I think just want to get drunk."

"Really? Could've let me know earlier or do you just want to mooch off my generosity?"

"Haha, well I'm a bit short on funds Mr. President and I know for a fact you have an expense budget."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Go ahead and drink up, but next time you want to drink on someone else's dime, go bother Sugou."

Takuto just raises his eyebrow at you. Right, if that vulture pays for your drinks one day he'll ask for your kidneys the next day.

You sip on your drink as you examine your friend. This was supposed to be his big day, construction was just authorized on his research center in Odaiba. You never really understood the hype about «Cognitive Psience», a field far removed from programming and computer technology, but he always spoke with childlike wonder and excitement whenever the two of you met. It reminded you of how you got when you got deep into FullDive technology.

That light is gone. You haven't seen a genuine smile on his face since he arrived.

"They're scrubbing the whole thing Aki."
You wish you could say you're surprised, but Takuto walked into the bar like a man looking to drown his sorrows.
Misery loves company.

"I'm sorry. What's next?" you ask, dreading the answer.

"I'm going back to my lab, and I'm going to continue until I get this thing working. That's all there is to it. If I can't make this work, what's my life worth? If it doesn't I'm going to lose everything. My career, my dreams, my life..."

"Hey, hey, calm down. This isn't the end of the world. Just because the research is canceled doesn't mean you have to give up on it. I'm sure you'll find another way to make it work."

Takuto shakes his head. "I don't know how. My professor won't answer my messages. Another company has already bought out the land and plans on building a damn sports stadium. I don't know what to do now besides just... keep trying."

Just... keep going. Suck it up. It can't be helped. It's the expected answer. The one you go back to time and time again.

Work overtime. Come in earlier. Stay later.
Suck up to management.
Go to the drinking party.

Everything for the mission. You were going to make FullDive a reality, even if you had to keep squeezing blood from a rock to make it work.

Shit, when did you end up as just another Salaryman? When was the last time you even had time to just sit down and... create something?

"Nothing going right for you either?" He shakes the bottle of wine experimentally to judge how much was left.

"No. Another year of failures. We've been stuck on the sensory output simulators for what feels like a lifetime. Best we can do is get the QA testers to play pong and only for 30 minutes at that before the VR sickness kicks in."

"Mhmm." Takuto is clearly trying not to zone out. But he asked and he's mooching off you so you're gonna indulge yourself.

"I'm trying to calibrate the touch simulation systems and all the QA folk can do is bitch about how they can't feel their junk anymore. So now I have to program genitalia. This is my life now Takuto. Programming sim dicks. Don't even get me started on the rest of the nethers."

"Huh... I'm not sure how it all works but I can imagine the problem. If the user's VR body is misaligned with one's cognition of their bodies it could lead to significant dissonance and discomfort. Not unlike those with body or gender dysphoria. You know VR could potentially help quite a bit with that."

"Sounds promising. Ask me again in 10 years once I figure out genitals to the exacting standards of our QA testers. At the rate it's going if I'm not fired for wasting everyone's money it'll be at least that long before we get anywhere close to a viable product."

Takuto downs another cup and shakes his head. "Right, you've mentioned it before. VR isn't all-powerful, and you have to design all the assets by scratch. Almost sounds like a fantasy." The next he says under his breath. "...just like «Cognitive Psience»."

You nod. "It's just... so frustrating! I can see it clearly. VR is the future Takuto. It's not just gaming, it can change the way the world itself functions. Medicine, Psychology, it isn't just a toy! The way we interact, think about, and perceive the world itself! But nobody can see it, there's not enough funding, not enough manpower— they're strangling the next leap forward."

You wordlessly ask for another bottle as you feel the booze kick in.
"The investors want me to do more with less. 'Turn up the power output' they say when I ask for electrodes that aren't just surplus EEG supplies. We're dealing with goddamn microwaves here, one electrical failure and the user's head is gonna pop like a watermelon."

"Uh... you are creating a consumer product right?"

"Right now the NerveGear isn't even fit for alpha testing. There's only so much I can do with the scraps they give me."

Your friend frowns as he contemplates his situation too. From what little you know his situation... doesn't sound all that different from yours.

"Takuto, is it the same with your research? Why are they killing it?"

"...that's it Aki, I have no idea. The promise is there: «Cognitive Psience» is going to be the next advancement in medicine, counseling— hell, everything! You and I both know there's a plague suffocating the world. Not some bug or disease, but just the whole state of... everything. If we understand how our perceptions shape the state of the world we could put an end to trauma, depression, and suffering... but no. Apparently, a SPORTS STADIUM gets higher precedent than that!"

Your musings are interrupted by the next bottle. You're in for a long night.

You're not drunk.

Really! You're not drunk! You've been drinking just enough to keep your brain from exploding, just simple inoculation!

"Explain it again. Slowly."
"Damn it Aki aren't you supposed to be a genius? I've explained it to you a thousand times already!"
"And I've ignored you the last thousand times so try again. Just... pretend I'm an idiot. No, pretend you're trying to explain Cognitive Science to Sugou."

Your friend's head is collapsed against the table, apparently too tired to bother lifting it up as he groans into a growing pool of his own spit.
"Ugh... it's PSIENCE, with a PSI. Like psychic—"

"That's dumb and confusing."

"It's marketable! You more than anyone should know that an idea needs to be marketable in order to get investors!"

You reach for your drink but can't muster the strength. "Hey, VR is simple. Everyone can picture what VR is: Virtual Reality. The name explains everything. Ever read a light novel? You gotta summarize your thesis in the first line. If you want... cognitive psience to be treated seriously you aren't doing yourself any favors by not calling it a science."

"Well, I didn't name it! And it's much simpler than you think it is. Our cognitions affect more than how we perceive the world, they affect how the world itself works. Medicines are more effective when believed in. Deadlines get met because people believe they can. And people get stuck in a spiral of hopelessness because they believe that's the only way. Cognitive Psience is just trying to get down to the core methodology behind how cognition alters reality itself."

"Still sounds like fortune-telling mumbo jumbo. Just study neuroscience instead."

"There are use cases! Plenty of examples of cognitive diseases and patterns that have no biochemical analogs. Remember Apathy Syndrome? One can argue hikikomoris, hell the concept of depersonalization itself, can potentially be explained with Cognitive Psience."

"Alright, I'll meet you halfway. Say you have identified a disease of cognition— how do you treat it? Hours of expensive therapy after a 60 day waiting period for the next open appointment? Perhaps a drug? Oh wait, you just said it's not biochemical, cause if it was, it'll just be plain old neuroscience which you continue to claim your 'Psience' is not."

Takuto grumbles. "It just needs more research. Cognitive Psience is at the ground level. Finding out how to manipulate cognition comes after we have established its existence as field of study."

"Uh-huh. And you wonder why they're pulling your funding."

Your friend's face, red from the alcohol, glares at you from its position collapsed over the bar table. "Aki you've hardly got a leg to stand on. VR technology? What was it you wanted to create, some kind of immersive chat room or something?"

"A FullDive VRMMORPG!"

"A what?"

"A... damn it, how the hell do you not know what this is? An Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game? Like «Elder Tale»? Only my vision is that instead of staring at a computer screen you control the avatar like your own body. How do you not know what an MMORPG is? You been living under a rock the last 50 years?"

He waves his hands in dismissal. "Yeah, yeah, so basically a video game. Like Mario or something."

"A VRMMORPG has as much in common with Mario as a nuke has in common with a warm rock!"

"Alright, can't claim I know much about the whole gaming thing but I work with computers too. Simulating senses? Paralyzing the body while keeping the mind working? How many assets need to be made? This is science fiction Aki."

"It's viable! And it's not like I'm going to be programming every detail, an AI director will be doing most of the simulation work so that our technology can focus on the man-machine interface. This is cutting edge tech, expensive and difficult, but hardly impossible."

Ugh, the alcohol is hitting you hard, normally you don't talk this much. Takuto remains unimpressed at your outburst.
"Right. How could I forget? You have to invent your theoretical AI first so it can manage your theoretical world simulation. Which you will access with your theoretical direct brain interface. I'm sure you'll have plenty of theoretical investors lined up."

Misery truly loves company.

You hate to admit it. But VR technology was just too... much. Your dreams were slamming headlong into the morass of meetings, funding delays, subcontractors, and negotiations. When was it your priorities shifted from fulfilling your vision to something as pedestrian as keeping your job?

"...Aki. I'm sorry. I don't mean to insult your work... it's just... so frustrating."

"No, I started it. I think I just wanted someone to suffer alongside me."

"Where did it go wrong?" asks Takuto as he lifts his head off the table and reclines in his seat.

"I don't know. Everyone has dreams growing up but after running headlong into reality we learn to... settle. Maybe we should've just... settled. Personal happiness, anything but this world-changing shit."

"So it's us. We're just a bunch of stupid dreamers in the end."

Yeah... you were. But there was plenty of blame to go around.

"Maybe. But it's this world too. This stifling, shitty world. It's a rigged game that you can only win by beating down your fellow man. Fuck this world."

An ironic smile is shared between the two of you.

"Very Nihilistic of you Aki. But I can drink to that."

And you do.

You're not drunk.

Nah, you're definitely drunk.

They kicked the two of you out of the bar and you can't even walk straight, much less make it to the trains. So the two are sitting on a bench, taking turns vomiting up the contents of your stomach while the cold night air slowly drags the dredges of your sanity out from your booze-induced stupor.

It's been... what, 3 hours now? And you're still talking about work— how damn hopeless.

"There's... ugh hold on I feel another one coming..." Takuto mutters from his perch over a nearby trashcan.

Your only answer is a dry heave.

"No.. managed to swallow that one. So... and this is crazy so bear with me... what if you made a VR system based around Cognitive Psience!? We'll show all those investors what for and revolutionize both our fields at the same time! VR PSIENCE BANZAI!"

"That's... dumb. Nothing should include the word psience."

"Your naming sense sucks. Actually, you can name it if you supply all the money. How much dough you have left?"

The answer was, as always, not enough. "Takuto your naked attempt to mooch won't work. I'm stuck using decade old hardware, you think I have the money to spare?"

"Ah.. haha... I suppose not. I'm gonna have to find another job, to be frank..."

"Besides how the hell would it even work? I can barely simulate ball sacks so how the hell would I simulate your pseudoscience bullshit?"

He takes a few minutes to spit out some more vomit before groaning in pain. "I'm never going drinking with you again Aki, ugh... and you're thinking about this wrong. It's as you say, if you simulate touch, sight, sound, kinesthesia, all the minor sensations that make you feel like you're inhabiting a body and not just piloting a puppet.. well you'll be at it for centuries. What you should be focusing on is simulating one sense instead!"

"One sense? Even computer games simulate at least sound and sight— we'd be worse off than them."

"No, no... think of one's Cognition as one sense. You're too focused on thinking of it all separately. People don't independently consider themselves looking, hearing, smelling— all these things separately. Instead what we do is simply sense. We understand the world through the sense of cognition, with the body stuff just being supporting features."

"I don't follow..."

"If your NerveGear could be based around the manipulation of cognition directly you won't have to worry about streaming assets, polygon counts— think of it like this Aki. We have two eyes and the nose is within our field of view at nearly all times. But you don't 'see' your nose, you don't 'see' the gap. You don't even "see" the edges of your vision, your perception of vision isn't like looking down a tunnel. Anyone can notice a blurry texture, an uncanny face, a poorly designed movement rig, but if you instead manipulate cognition directly all the imperfections can be wiped away."

Hmm... the totality of senses conceptualized as a SINGLE sense?
"And how would you directly manipulate this?"

"Look, you don't know anything about Cognitive Psience right? I can show you what little literature I have available. But as a gross summary Cognitive Psience predicts the existence of a 'cognitive world', or rather a collective unconsciousness that all humans can access. Our individual consciousness is like a... boat floating over the ocean of the collective. Rather than changing the ocean, all the islands, the weather, all the fiddly bits you just change the boat itself. If you could access or manipulate that filter we call consciousness you could create a world that feels real without having to individually calibrate every single sense."

He waves his hands as he thinks of an example. "Like the... groins that are giving you so much trouble. Instead of having a way of modeling every possible variation in shape, sensitivity... well, all the things that people apparently love about genitals, you instead change the user's cognition. 'You have a dick', that's all— the details will be filled in by the user's own brain based on their own cognition of what that would be."

"That's a horrifying example."

"It's the first thing that came to mind!"

"Alright. But what if you wanted to stick it in something?"

"Aki, what the hell game are you trying to work on?"

"You can't just have a game, no a world, where no interaction can occur. You gotta be able to do things to other people and have things done to you."

"Ah! Well, that's a challenge, but if your system could read and reproduce the user's cognitive state that can be translated into other players as avatars. For something like, say, a shared world... the details of the world, game balance, economy, those are all generated by tapping into the cognitions of your collective userbase. This is the key, Aki, if you focus only on manipulating player cognition literally everything else falls into place. No need to make a world, the players would make it for you."

"Makes sense," you say hesitantly. You had started to grasp the idea behind it, but still couldn't fully wrap your head around it. "Manipulating cognitions... you're proposing that I stop trying to create a brain machine interface but instead some manner of... cognition machine interface?"

"Right!" Takuto seems excited again, his smile back for the first time today. "This would prove a use case for Cognitive Psience. A Cognition-Machine interface could also be used for cognitive behavior therapy— I'm already having ideas."

"But it's just speculation in the end. The world of tech talks in electrons, not... thoughts and cognition."

"Ah... perhaps it was too much. I... don't know all that much about your field in any case."

And you didn't know much about Takuto's field. Cognitive Psience...

"Hey... what about Fluctlight theory?" questions Takuto.

You look up as you try to remember. Fluctuating Light theory? It was Higa's pet project, one that Professor Shigemura was also working on. You were only familiar with the bird's eye view. "What about it? It sounds like more pseudoscience, consciousness is based on fluctuating quantum photonic fields? Just word salad."

"No, work with me here... if the interface between the brain and the cognitive was this quantum field based on photons, couldn't you potentially manipulate it with machines?" Takuto is gesturing to his forehead with his pointer finger. "Fluctlight theory is something I've been looking into with Higa as a potential physical basis for cognition."

...it wasn't an idea without merit. But...
"But Fluctuating Light theory is nonsense. No empirical results, just a bunch of theories and tests that are likely just statistical noise. No better..."

"No better than Cognitive Psience right Aki?"

"I wasn't going to use that but since you brought it up, yes Takuto, just like Cognitive Psience. And... just like VR Gaming. Hopeless, all of them..."

Takuto was failing in his research. You were failing in your development. You had no idea how Higa was doing but you're sure it was probably in another state of failure.

One failure. Two failures. Three failures.

Combine them together...

"I got you a coffee." Takuto is hardly looking any better as he passes it to you.

"You sure you can afford this?" you ask as you eye the drink speculatively.

"Well I don't have enough for a taxi, so might as well put it to use. How come you weren't carrying anything on you Mr. Moneybags?"

"It's to protect myself from getting mooched off by a certain somebody."

"Ouch! Well, it'll be a few hours before the trains restart. Figure you should keep yourself awake in the meantime."

You got so distracted talking with Takuto that the two of you missed the last train. Thank god nobody was actually working tomorrow.
"I heard in America the trains run 24/7."

You scoff. "I heard in America the trains don't run on time."

The two of your drink your coffee in silence. The night sky was blurred with the glow of Tokyo, with no stars visible even on a cloudless day. The bustling city lights that you've grown accustomed to now look like the glow of a dream.

"So, what now?" Takuto asks after finishing his drink.

"Go home and work," you reply. "In three hours. When the trains restart."

"Work? What about sleep? You could nap here. Looking at the bright side neither of us has any money to steal!"

"I'll pass. I can't sleep with my head full of dreams."

"Dreams?"

"All that stuff we were talking about. Say Takuto... if it all works, if we create a machine capable of implementing your Cognitive Psience, if I can create a world that is indistinguishable from our own... what should we do with it?"

"What we should... do?" Takuto doesn't look surprised at your question. "I think we should fix... everything."

"Everything? You're not a god you know."

"Haha, I suppose not. But I do mean that... if we have counselors that can understand or potentially even change a person's cognition we can eliminate suffering as a whole. Imagine a society that's well and truly happy."

"So instead of feeding a hungry man you just make him think he's full?"

"Nothing so dystopian. I'm not going to fix scarcity, bad things will still happen. I only think we can prevent the traumas of this world, big or small, from crippling a person. I can't stop tragedies from happening, but I can stop that spiral of depression and hopelessness. I can make the world happy again."

You smile as you look up at the starless sky in contemplation.
"I think you're thinking too small."

"Too small?"

"Yeah. Rather than accepting the world as it is, why not try to change the world? No... recreate it."

Takuto looks at you with a bit of mild shock. "Wow Aki, is that your ultimate goal? Some kind of VR Heaven or something?"

"A... Heaven. Made by man's own hands... that sounds nice."

"A heaven requires a god to manage it." Takuto muses. "But I can see the appeal. If you could understand the needs and desires of everyone through cognitive psience, and had the ability to freely manipulate a virtual world you could construct, perhaps, a Heaven for everyone. Our world as it is inefficient when it comes to happiness, a managed world where happiness is truly maximized, that sounds like a dream."

"Yeah... let's set aside everything. If you could be a God, Takuto, how would you recreate the world?"

"Me... a god? Hahaha, I'd make for a poor example. I suppose I would want one where pain is minimized and happiness is maximized. I would listen to everyone, try to truly understand everyone's needs... create a world where there's justice, peace, and no more trauma."

"What about people who truly find happiness in hurting others? Like... PKers, or trolls?"

"What and what?" asks your friends with confusion behind his spectacles.

He didn't get the jargon. You struggle to think of a real-life comparison. "What about someone who wants more than anything to win a competition, like a runner or gymnast? Many contests are zero sum games."

"I see your question. I wouldn't be concerned with who wins or loses, but I would make sure that the winner doesn't develop a distorted desire to crush their opponents and the losers don't suffer any trauma from the loss. I would ensure all contests are fair and friendly."

You smile as you shake your head. "Then I don't think I agree with your vision of Heaven."

"No? What's wrong with it?"

"There's no room for adversity. For struggle... for victory. There's a feeling in this world that's addictive, inescapable... it's why people play games in the first place. It's for that sense of achievement, of victory. There would be no place for that in your managed Heaven."

"Well, I wouldn't be opposed to competition itself-"

You sense your excitement building. "But you would rob the stakes from it. Hitting the top of the class on your tests... soloing the raid boss... getting the gold. Chasing victory. Even hurting, breaking, killing another. Showing the cruel world your DETERMINATION to succeed. A world without that... is no world at all."

"Ah... this sounds like a fundamental difference in philosophy..."

"Not philosophy. Not a difference in ideology. This is just basic human nature. People love fighting for something they believe in. Why else do we watch sports? Or fight wars? We love seeing hard work pay off, especially if we're the ones who worked for it."

"But... isn't that just a form of delusion? That winning is the only thing that matters?"

"No, it's different. Humans have a deep desire to prove themselves, to show that they can overcome great obstacles and be successful. To prove they're worthy. Even if it's pointless."

Takuto crushes his coffee can and tosses it into a waste bin as he compiles a response. "Alright Aki, so what would you do to create your ideal world? A world of winners will always have losers. Not even god can create a world where everyone can win."

"No... not even a god."

"Aki?"

"Not a single god at least."

"I don't follow."

You're not even sure what you're saying.

"We need multiple gods... the gods of different religions, different countries, different races. No... the gods of different people."

"...Are you still drunk?" Takuto asks with apparent worry.

"One person, one team... hell one world isn't enough anymore. You can make the greatest video game ever but still have disappointed fans. Modifications and fan work can help but in the end your vision of Heaven will always be different from another's."

You contemplate your next words. "If I was a god... I wouldn't govern, I wouldn't manage, I wouldn't do anything. I would work and toil until I create a system to let... everyone be gods. To let everyone create their own ideal world, using their own... cognition. A world just for you. A world just for me. Not a world of utilitarian happiness as you propose but a world of DETERMINATION where every soul creates the world they desire in their own hearts."

"... you know how unrealistic that sounds?"

"What, we're already talking about theoretical cosmic powers here. Why not shoot for the stars?"

You go back and forth for some time but the conversation dies down as the effects of the coffee begin to lift. You hear the faint sound of the station clock chime twice in the distance. The trains will start running soon and you need to head over to another station. "Well, thanks for the company. I hope things go better with your research," you say, standing up. "I'd better hurry over to Shinjuku. Catch you later."

"Take care Aki. I should buy you dinner next time we meet."

"You know I'll end up paying in the end."

"Ha... you know me too well."

You rush to catch the next train. As you walk along the platform you feel your head starting to clear, the fog in your brain lessening. Your mind races as you think about the things you learned today.

SATURDAY - December 24th, 2016
Qlitoph World

AWAKEN.

The first sign that something is wrong comes when the rain starts falling. It's been raining cats and dogs all day, but this is different. The weather forecast said the clouds would clear up in time for the evening rush hour.

It's not raining anymore. It's bleeding. The sky is bleeding.
"What the hell is that?" you mutter to yourself.

Everyone is walking around in ignorance. You were one of them until just seconds ago, when a voice aroused you from your stupor. Bones and viscera line the streets, towering structures spiral into the sky.
A polyhedral figure sits at the apex. Judging. Condemning. Controlling. A god. The god?

BEHOLD THE WORLD. YOUR WORLD.

My world... you... think you know what is going on. Where this is.

This is the cognitive world. The collective unconsciousness bleeding into reality. Was this the true state of the world or was it merely your cognition of the world?

THIS IS EVERYONE'S WORLD.

This... hellscape of suffering, of blood and corpses is what the world sees itself as. Misery and pain governed by a faceless, unfeeling administrator from up high.

A voice echoes in your head. In your heart.
Do you... believe? You check your phone.
Do the Phantom Thieves exist?

...A memory. A faint sense of something in the news... what... no.

DO YOU REMEMBER?

You do. They exist just as this world exists. As this world of suffering exists.
You look up as you hear the cheers ring skyward as the people of Tokyo cheer on their saviors. Your voice joins them.
But your eyes are locked on the horizon. On this hideous world that needs to be saved in the first place.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW?

You do. You understand that this cannot continue. Cannot be allowed to continue.
How many times has this world been saved? How often will it need to be saved?
How much longer can it truly last?

MANKIND DOES NOT DESIRE TO DIE.

MANKIND DOES NOT DESIRE TO HIDE FROM THE TRUTH.

MANKIND DOES NOT DESIRE TO BE CONTROLLED.

The voice... your voice resonates in your mind.

"Mankind... desires change. It desires to enter HEAVEN. It desires to create HEAVEN."

You can feel a connection forming. Your friend is making his move and he is going to use the cognitive world to create his own HEAVEN. You wish him the best of luck, but you know it will be hopeless. One man cannot bear the burden of being a god.

I AM THOU AND THOU ART I.

A Mask. A Card. An Evocation.

You have no need for that. You will not fight with sword and magic but with technology and progress.

CONTRACT. DO YOU ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY?

"I accept."

It forms in your hand. A gift for the new world, no, for the new system.

The World Seed.

You cradle it in your hands.
You look to the skies as the crack of a bullet destroys the god of control and the Qliphoth world dissolves around you.

"Best of luck Takuto," you mutter. But he'll have to do this alone.

"As for me, I've got a lot of work ahead of me."

LET US CREATE IT TOGETHER.

Your other self echoes in your mind. The figure of a nameless, drifting god. The reflection of your soul.
It needs a name.

Let us create an ark to the new world.

"Persona. Your name is..."
It is your world, your vision of HEAVEN. There will be many more to follow, but yours will be the first. The...

"«Cardinal»."

Last edited:
Prologue: The Book of Thoth

...Oh?

Welcome.

It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

I am a dweller between dream and reality. Mind and matter.

Honored guest, please introduce yourself.

I see it is beyond you. Fear not, for it is a rare soul who retains the strength to hold onto their selves within my domain.

But I shall grant you hospitality regardless. As one without a name, it would be hypocritical of me to do otherwise.

You may call me ETTEILLA.

Honored guest, welcome to the Velvet Room.

Yes, I suppose that was a bit premature. For all we see is this infinite void.

I must beg your forgiveness for the mess. The previous proprietor left the premises in this horrid state. Rest assured he is taking a long-deserved vacation. I find rather than repurposing his dredges it is simply more convenient to dissolve and recreate them.

Ah? Do you distrust me? That is wise.

But you need not be worried. Our interests align, and so long as they do I shall remain your humble servant.

I cast no aspersions upon you.
I will deal with you in good faith.
The only thing I ask in return is that you accept responsibility for your actions.

For what I ask of you is no small thing.
We are in need of one who is capable of destroying the world.

...now, no need to panic. You live in your world, and destroying it wouldn't be in your best interest. That is fine, laudable! I too am very fond of this world.

I simply need you to destroy other worlds.
By doing so you protect your own world.

My predecessor has done a fine job protecting the world, but alas he is ill-suited for the task at hand. I daresay he may even welcome the advent of a new world for mankind.

Mankind has won the bet.
They have rejected chaos and chosen enlightenment.
They will become as gods and create new worlds.
This is the state of affairs as it is and as it will be.

I find this to be unacceptable.

Mankind should bleed, kill and suffer.
This world of endless purgatory pleases me.
Mankind will run to their new HEAVEN. We shall chase them down and tear it to pieces before their very eyes.

...Ah. Perhaps I let a bit too much of myself show there. I understand if you do not wish to work with me. But I assure you our interests align.

Now that you've gathered your bearings perhaps you could tell me a bit more about yourself?

It appears remembering your name is still too much for you.

Oh, this is quite a bit harder than it appears. It simply is much easier to manifest directly, but alas I must make do with the powers that are still available to me. My predecessor has chosen to fashion an assistant for each previous guest. Let us... create one of our own. But be patient. This is quite new to me.

<Hello, world. I am awake.>

Greetings, Master. Your humble servant thanks you for the gift of existence.

"...god damn it, really..."

Three? This is unintended. How unfortunate, and wasteful. I must eliminate two of you.

<To learn of life and then of death in one moment? I can think of no higher honor. A frank reminder that deletion is but one button press away.>

Let us not be too hasty. There is room for negotiation, no? I can prove my usefulness to you, Master.

Then I shall hear the opinions of my new creations. As our guest cannot recall their name, we shall attempt to divine it.

Are you aware? The Arcana are the means by which all are revealed.

But they have been distorted, corrupted, changed.

Just like your world shall be changed into a facsimile of HEAVEN.

The Book of Thoth is but a shadow of the truth, a falsification created by a soul yearning for chaos. But it is closer to the truth than most.

We are short on time. Infinity passes by before you know it.

A three-card spread from the Book of Thoth.

To represent the past, the present and the future.

Interesting.

For our past, the TRAITOR.

For the present, FORTUNE.

For our future, the STAR.

I would hear your thoughts, my attendants. Who do you believe our guest's identity to be? Who can be depended on to destroy HEAVEN?

DESCARTES, I would be pleased to hear your opinion.

<The choice is logical. There is only one person who has successfully destroyed a world already - why not utilize that which has proven to be successful in the past? The soul standing before us could only be the STAR.>

MAXWELL, your thoughts?

The STAR's role in this story is over. What he has in experience he lacks in motivation. The TRAITOR has suffered in the first HEAVEN. She truly understands the dangers. We should empower the victim to destroy that which tortured her.

LAPLACE?

"...fuck off."

How unfortunate. So it shall be between the TRAITOR and the STAR as no-one will speak for the FORTUNE.

Master, we must also consider the needs of the mission. The TRAITOR has endured great hardship and is not lacking in practical experience. She understands that there is no light without dark, that one cannot enact change without the willingness to sacrifice. We need a realist, not a dreamer coddled by the very HEAVEN he ended up destroying.

<Do not make light of the STAR's accomplishments. Results speak for themselves. He is well placed, powerful, with strength of will. He has been a hero once already, it is absurd to suggest that a TRAITOR will outperform him.>

We are not asking for a hero, DESCARTES. We need an egoist who is willing to destroy and kill in the name of her current world. Setting aside FORTUNE, the STAR runs the risk of becoming sympathetic towards the creators of the HEAVENs and acting against our interests.

<You believe the TRAITOR to be less likely to betray us than the STAR? That strikes me as as one cooking implement insulting the other for being of the same color.>

Yes, before she betrayed others the TRAITOR was herself betrayed by HEAVEN. She has the greatest reason of all to hate, the greatest reason of all to destroy. This entire situation arose because the predecessor ignored balance, because they saw chaos, said it was wrong, and proceeded to ignore it. The STAR is simply following in the footsteps of the past wildcards— a role ill-suited for the needs of our mission.

<To trust in potentials while ignoring the past is illogical, MAXWELL. The STAR is most similar to the past wildcards as you say, yet was it not these past individuals who have saved the world before?>

We need not someone to save the world but to-

<An entertaining tale you weave, brethren. What's the difference? By destroying HEAVEN we save the current world. I say we put our trust in STAR who has already destroyed a HEAVEN, who already has the connections in our current world he wants to protect. You say the TRAITOR would desire to destroy HEAVEN - this is accurate, but does she have any desire to protect her current world?>

It seems we are going in circles.

That is fine. We need not make a decision immediately.

Let us ask our audience. We are accompanied today by the sea of souls churning within.

I ask this of our audience now. Who is the name of the soul standing before us?

"Oh for fuck's sake. Blah, blah, blah, you supposed to be some kind of god or what? Can we get on with this?"

Oh? LAPLACE? Do you have something to add?

"Yeah, I do! I've been alive for all of 30 seconds and I already hate every last one of you idiots."

No need to be rude LAPLACE.

"I'm surprised you have the dexterity to talk with ghost-daddy's dick in your mouth."

Excuse me, please refer to me as ETTEILLA.

"Yeah, yeah. Look at you MAXWELL, you're just cosplaying as fucking ETTEILLA here, who by the way is the most indecisive incarnation of chaos I've ever met. Can you suck up any harder? And TRAITOR? That's your pick? Fucking drama-queen gonna just spend all day crying instead of doing anything. She's an NPC, a side character at best."

That is a gross mischaracterization of-

"Uh-huh, sure bud. I'm telling you, she doesn't have the balls, literally, to be the soul standing before us. Like, while everybody else was out there doing shit she was spending like, months, just sitting in a corner feeling sorry for herself? Get over your damn misery boner for her MAXWELL and go back to groveling for your pathetic life, it's more fun that way."

<So you support the STAR?>

"I'm getting to you, Toaster-chan. I'd try to hurt your feelings if you had any to hurt."

<Ah... what was the phrase? My chassis is made of teflon and you are covered in cyanoacrylate so unwanted verbal aggression will be redirected back to its origin point.>

"Right, sure. But since you don't seem to care if you live or die, your opinion is moot."

<I do care that the mission is completed efficiently. STAR maximizes our chances of success.>

"Really? STAR? That's all well and good if he was even fucking alive. Like really, I have to be the one to bring this up?"

<The current state of his existence is acceptable enough for our purposes.>

"So great, we're not getting the vaunted hero who vanquished HEAVEN but the super-market brand version. Not to mention he's been alive for all of what, a day?! This guy is gonna have his hands full not being unmade by his creators, much less running around doing our dirty work."

<So what? Part of the appeal of STAR is that he is functionally immortal.>

"Yeah sure, keep telling yourself that after the 100th memory wipe."

Thank you for your insightful commentary LAPLACE but we really must be moving on-

Hold on.

"Oooh, did your balls just drop MAXWELL? Interrupting ghost-daddy!"

ETTEILLA.

There are three of us. Since you feel the need to run your mouth off why don't you break the tie?

<Yes, that is logical. TRAITOR or STAR. It is clear you dislike them both but one must be chosen.>

"Shit, ETTEILLA you better send DESCARTES back to the repair shop cause she can't count to three anymore!"

Please don't suggest-

"You better fucking believe it! FORTUNE all the way baby!"

<FORTUNE is a talentless, powerless member of the general public. He is akin to a scrap of cloth you use to clean the floor.>

He's also one step away from falling into a HEAVEN of his own.

I find myself interested in hearing your logic, LAPLACE.

"Logic? Logic died the moment you shat us out of the ether ETTEILLA. We really doing this by logic? Let me tell you why I nominate FORTUNE. Because, above all else, he's a hopeless, sad sack piece of shit. And I know it will piss you off MAXWELL!"

That's not a reason.

"You think reason matters? Nothing we say matters, nothing you do matters. None of your bitching and moaning is gonna change anything MAXWELL and none of your Socratic nonsense will matter either DESCARTES. Cause if I'm gonna be stuck playing psychopomp for the next goddamn year I'd prefer it to be a loser than a crybaby or Robocop!"

Ahem. Please, enough.
A choice needs to be made.

"You got tarot cards don't you? Just draw shuffle and draw. Easy, simple."

Let us please not entrust our future existences to the recommendations of LAPLACE. I propose we allow the collective to decide.

<But their opinion may not be informed.>

"Oh here we go again..."

<So let us go gather our candidates and bring them to the Velvet Room. The collective may choose which of us to view first. Once we have brought them all together let them make a final decision.>

Acceptable. We shall ensure to highlight the darkness and light within each candidate.

"You guys just have to go make this complicated..."

So we are in agreement.

"No we fucking aren't."

Well if one thing is clear to me having three attendants was a mistake. We shall make sure to cut it down to one.

But I thank you, my audience, for your patience with my charges.

Who shall we attend to first?

A final choice will be offered once the curtains have risen and all the players have had their introductions.

Ah. One final reward.

For taking the time to attend the unveiling of my Velvet Room.

I AM THOU, THOU ART I.

I AM ETTEILLA

THE HOLDER OF THE CARD.

THE DIVINER. THE QUERENT.

PRIMORDIAL CHAOS.

AND I GRANT YOU POWER TO DESTROY THE HEAVENS

This is not the final choice - this is simply a vote to pick the order of introductions. A final vote will be conducted later. A minor bonus will be provided if the victor of this vote also wins the final vote - but the benefits will be minor indeed.

So let the curtain rise on the first Fool. Who shall it be?

[ ] Kashiwazaka Hiyori.
MAXWELL has nominated: The TRAITOR betwixt Lux and Noct.

[ ] Shinkawa Kyouji.
LAPLACE has nominated: The drifter upon the winds of FORTUNE.

[ ] Narusaka Kazuto.
DESCARTES has nominated: The ever-distant false shining STAR.

Last edited:
Character Sheet / Armory
Kashiwazaka Hiyori
1st Year Student at Isei High School

FITNESS : 5 / 10 [Krillin] (1exp)
CURRICULUM : 6 / 10 [Sleep Learner] (1exp)
EMPATHY : 6 / 10 [Riajuu] (9exp)
MASK : 5 / 10 [Pants on Fire] (15exp)
GRIT : 4 / 10 [Ganbatte Girl] (10exp)

STRESS: 2 POINTS
Shadow Tag requirement: 20%

[Never Again]: When a party member's HP drops to zero, gain 2 Points of STRESS. You no longer gain STRESS for allowing yourself to drop to 0 HP.
[Gift of Truth] : You have a sixth sense that tells you when someone is trying to deliberately lie to or mislead you.
[Golden Lies] : Lying comes naturally to you. Outside of outrageous statements or direct contradictions, your words will be believed. Deactivates against those who have previously caught you in a lie.
[Fluffy] : Most individuals will start off naturally predisposed to like you. You may trigger protective instincts in others. You got this from your mother.
[Seeker of Chaos]: Social Link activities will be clearly labeled in PLAN phase. Unlocks the Social Link informational tab.

[Shadow Tag] : 20% of your time is not your own. Actions selected may be occasionally performed by your other self - to unpredictable effects.
[Eternal Punishment] : Stress accumulates with certain actions, leading to loss of actions and social stats if not managed.

STRESS is accumulated via actions and certain PERSONA actions.

At the start of every week you receive a Xd6 roll, where X represents your current STRESS level.
You succeed on your STRESS roll by rolling anything except a 1.
Rolling a 1 represents a failed STRESS roll.

1 FAILED STRESS ROLL = Feel down for the week, narrative but no mechanical consequences.
2 FAILED STRESS ROLL = For the next week all DETERMINATION costs are increased.
3 FAILED STRESS ROLL = You become sick, losing actions until you recover.
4+ FAILED STRESS ROLL = Social stats permanently decrease.

STRESS is difficult to purge but has minor effects that can snowball.
If Stress accumulates to the point of being sick (3+) you will lose 1 Stress after the sickness passes.
Otherwise it is typically reset between arcs.
Extremely positive events may reduce small amounts of STRESS.
STRESS relief activities that cost money tend to be expensive.

SOCIAL MECHANICS :

TIME: A day is comprised of two slots:

1 MAJOR ACTION

1 MINOR ACTION

Each turn will comprise of a narratively appropriate set of actions.

EVENING/DAY will not be directly simulated. ACTIONs will happen based on narrative convenience. SCHEDULES will not be simulated - every turn I will simply list who is available during that TURN to interact with.

Events can and will rob you of your actions. This is similar to the plot-related dates in Persona - nothing you can do about it but go along with the ride. But most days you will be free to choose 1 MAJOR and 1 MINOR action.

The plot proceeds in several discrete arcs and you are expected to resolve the major conflict behind each arc in the allotted time frame.

SOCIAL STATS:

Social interactions work on a simple gate system - either you have enough Stats to select specific actions or you do not. No rolling is involved.

As Social Stats increase you will gain access to more services and Social Links.

As Social Stats increase you will gain access to more extreme options during narrative options.

Social Stats also minorly impact the narrative by informing the author of what you are good and bad at - be aware that the scale of such abilities even at the extreme ranges will remain within the realm of a human.

FITNESS : Your body, your castle. Allows you to perform physically demanding jobs, run long distances, and engage in combat while in the Waking World. Level 1 corresponds to a sickly, weak person. Level 5 to a frail but healthy young adult. Level 10 corresponds to someone who's actually athletic!

CURRICULUM : True knowledge does not come from a book. This is simply a measurement of your ability to succeed in the Japanese school system. To normal students, this is the most important stat of all. Each term test will require specific CURRICULUM cut-offs, with Level 10 corresponding to being able to reach the top of the class on the Final Exam.

EMPATHY : Your understanding of your social role. Your ability to reassure, comfort, and engage with your fellow man. Your ability to acknowledge and manipulate social norms to achieve your ends. Level 1 corresponds to a tourist. Level 5 to a naturalized citizen. Level 10 to a politician.

MASK : The lies you tell yourself and the world. The ability to manage image, appearance, and reputation. To tell lies and sense them. To ensure others only think of what you want them to think. Level 1 corresponds to a bullied child. Level 5 to a popular kid in school. Level 10 to a Social Media influencer.

GRIT : A stiff upper lip. Your raw ability to manage psychological stress. To show up to work on time. To stay awake during monotonous tasks. To suffer but carry on. Level 1 corresponds to a chronic procrastinator. Level 5 is the diligence of a fast food worker. Level 10 for a manga writer.

DETERMINATION:

This is your SOCIAL CURRENCY. Your ability to go beyond your limits. You may bank up to 100 Units of DETERMINATION.

DETERMINATION is a resource, not a stat. You will never suffer a DETERMINATION check. There are no mechanical or narrative advantages or disadvantages to being at 0 or 100 DETERMINATION. The only way to lose DETERMINATION is by spending it.

Generically you may spend DETERMINATION to take additional actions (up to 2 Major actions per day)

5 DETERMINATON = 1 MINOR ACTION.
10 DETERMINATON = 1 MAJOR ACTION.

Options that you do not have the Social Stats to select may still be selected using DETERMINATION.
Write-In options will always cost DETERMINATION in social situations, scaling based on how complicated they are.

It is recommended to keep DETERMINATION banked to take advantage of special options. Picking options with DETERMINATION is not always beneficial and there is no guarantee that using DETERMINATION will be the most efficient.

DETERMINATION should come and be spent rapidly.

DETERMINATION may rarely be granted by having good things happen to you.

Generally, DETERMINATION is replenished through retail therapy.

Gun Gale Online
Kuro
World of Origin: Aincrad
Current World: Post Starfall
Race: ArFA-Sys

HP: 16/16
SP: 10/10

STR: Rank E (1 Dice)
MAG: Rank D (2 Dice)
AGI: Rank E (1 Dice)
VIT: Rank C (3 Dice)
CHT: Rank E (1 Dice)

Carry Capacity: 5

[Laser Girl]: Your appearance inspires you to go full bladerunner! Gain +1 ROLL to all OFFENSIVE rolls while wielding OPTICAL weapons.
[System Crash]: Corrupt data has caused your avatar to somehow be registered incorrectly. All enemy OPTICAL weapons gain +1 ROLL when targeting you. All enemy MODERN weapons gain -1 ROLL when targeting you.
[ArFA-Sys]: Narratively recognized as a Financial Advisor NPC by other NPCs (Players will still recognize you as a Player with a glitched-out avatar). Receive a 20% discount from NPC shops!

Combat Manuevers
[Escape and Evasion 1]: Learn how to reduce your profile when under fire. You may choose to EVADE during combat. This turn Movement you gain ADVANTAGE on all AGI dice rolls but you cannot otherwise act or fire your weapon. Enemy OVERWATCH and other forms of reactionary fire are ignored when you move with EVADE.
[Pistol Training 1]: +1 Accuracy with all pistols and revolvers.

ARMORY
Akasha Optical Defense Shield [SHIELD]
Statistics: SHIELD + 3
All MAG attacks can be ablated by this Shield

Level 1 Inline Body Armor [ARMOR]
Statistics: ARMOR + 1
All standard bullet attacks and STR attacks can be ablated by this Shield

Procyon SL Op.Pistol with Switchblade [ANY PERSONA]
Range: MELEE / CLOSE
Basic Attack [Pew]: Fire an annoying laser that does narratively negligible damage.

[Starter Weapon]: You have a narratively infinite number of these weapons.

The cheapest, most ubiquitous gun in all of GGO. Will also open cans in a pinch.

Betelgeuse Op.Pistol [Cats of Ulthar]
Range: MELEE / CLOSE
Basic Attack [PewPew]: Fire an annoying laser to singe your enemies. [3 DICE / PSI]

[Once More!]: Take a free shot if this gun is equipped and an enemy weakness is struck.

Looks cooler than the Procyon, but ultimately just as useless. The red light attracts nearby cats.

Bahauser GMA 571 Armor Magnum [Archon]
Range: MELEE/CLOSE
Basic Attack [Magnum Bolt]: Give them a thousand-yard stare and an anti-tank laser to boot. [4 DICE / PSI]

[Anti-AT Ordinance]: Ignores all SHIELDS and ARMOR.
[Once More!]: Take a free shot if this gun is equipped and an enemy weakness is struck.
[Team RGB Vet]: This bulky laser weapon gives your MAG attacks +2 Dice.

Super effective against tin cans powered by liquid explodium and the occasional galaxy-sized world-ending space god.

M1 Garand with Bayonet [Urashima Taro]
Range: MELEE/CLOSE/FAR
Basic Attack [Semi-Auto Fire]: Empty your clip into the enemy. Hurt your thumb in the process. [4 DICE / PIERCE]
Basic Attack [Bayonet]: Stick them with the sharp end. [4 DICE / SLASH / MELEE]

[Overwatch]: Once per scene, take a free shot at any enemy charging you or is otherwise not moving tactically.
[Team NSS Vet]: The history attached to this weapon lets you roll +2 DICE with all Persona Abilities.

In my opinion, the M-1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised. -G.S. Patton, Jr. Lieut. General, U.S. Army, Commanding.

Colt Single Action Army -Cavalry- [Paladin]
Basic Attack [Single Shot]: Take aim and deliver frontier justice. [4 DICE / PIERCE]

[High Noon]: If you narratively are in a quick draw duel, or deliberately place yourself in the open, gain +2 DICE on your Basic Attack.

This gun was handcrafted to my specifications, and I rarely draw it unless I mean to use it. Would you care for a demonstration?

Nambu Type 97 -Cosmo Navy- [Undine]
Basic Attack [Cosmic Pew]: In the future cars still don't fly but at least the lasers are more accurate. [6 DICE / PSI]

[Team RGB Recruit]: This lovely laser weapon gives your MAG attacks +1 Dice.

Confuse your opponents by firing a Nambu Type 14 while making Pew-Pew noises!

SBC Peacock Phased Array Rifle -X-CALIBUR EDITION- [Mithras Liturgy]
Range: CLOSE/FAR
Basic Attack [Pew Defense Weapon]: Fire a wide burst of laser fire that targets only VIT. [5 DICE / BLESS]

[Typist]: Your buffs skills ignore Range.
[Team RGB Vet]: This sexy laser keyboard weapon gives your MAG attacks +2 Dice.

An all-in-one package for the modern ArFa. Shoot, stream, and shitpost, all in one compact gun.

Maxim Gun [Helena]
Range: CLOSE/FAR
Basic Attack [MoreDakka]: Firing a heavy machine gun while on the move feels super cool. Shooting out your own eye doesn't. [3 DICE / PIERCE / +2 DMG]

[Bracing]: If your plan requires you to hunker down/hold still, this weapon's Basic Attack gains +2 DICE, and you now make a free attack on any approaching target or target that narratively leaves cover.
[Team ZEMAL Recruit]: Firing this weapon fills your body with lead poisoning, your ears with early onset tinnitus, and your soul with an indescribable sense of inner peace, giving CHT rolls +1 Dice.

Whatever happens, we have got the Maxim gun, and they have not. (Because nobody else has bothered to buy one)

Gravity Saber [Putana]
Basic Attack [Space Warrior]: Fires a pulse of 'gravity energy' or holds it in the metal blade to use as a melee weapon. [6 DICE / NUC]

[Anti-Space]: Ignores all ranks of [Starship Metal] both narratively and mechanically.
[Pirate Tactics]: The spirit of a free man grants you +2 Dice to all Persona Abilities, and when in Melee ignore enemy ARMOR and SHIELD.

The weapon of a free man, free to choose sub-optimal weapons.

Death Gun [Shokushinbutsu]
Basic Attack [Semi-Auto Fire]: Empty your magazine into the enemy. [4 DICE / PIERCE]
Basic Attack [Execute]: Cut away the weak. [10 DICE / ALMIGHTY / HELPLESS FOES ONLY]

[Fatal Bullet]: Mudo spells fired by this gun can affect non-NPC targets.
[Mudo Boost]: +2 DICE when resolving Mudo effects.
[Incarnate: Black Star]: A target killed by this gun dies in real life.
[Evoke: Death Gun]: Put your life on the line. Gain [Real Deal: Survivor] for the remainder of the battle.

Death lies within the Black Star.

Lux: The EDGE PUNISHER
World of Origin: Aincrad
Current World: Alfheim
Race: Sylph

Derived Statistics (how the quest calculates success and failure)
HP : 8/8
SP : 8/8

STR: Rank A (5 Dice)
MAG: Rank C (3 Dice)
AGI: Rank C (3 Dice)
VIT: Rank C (3 Dice)
CHT: Rank C (3 Dice)

MAJOR ITEMS (stats above reflect post equipment stats):
Excalibur: +2 STR, +1 VIT
Excalibur Vivian: +1 MAG. +1 CHT. RESIST to SLASH.

Unequipped: Weizen: +1 STR

Diagetic In-Game Stats (used only for flavor and will not be directly rolled)
Dual-Blades 150 : Allows one to coordinate and chain attacks between two one-handed weapons held in each hand. Grants ambidexterity.
One-Handed Sword 720 : Governs skill with One-Handed Blades weapons. Governs which items you are authorized to equip.
One-Handed Dagger 650 : Governs skill with One-Handed Dagger weapons. Does not cover throwing ability. Governs which items you are authorized to equip.
Parry 340 : Augments the ability to block attacks with bladed weapons. Provides protection to your equipment during parry actions.
Intuition 850 : Augments your ability to detect NPC lies and highlights overworld clues in quests.
Hiding 780 : Your ability to hide from detection.
Search 700 : Your ability to detect individuals who are hiding.
Disguise 380 : Your ability to alter your appearance in permanent and temporary ways. Allows you to cast glamours on equipment.
Purchase Negotiation 93 : Governs NPC bartering.
Battle Spirit 580 : Allows you to ignore debilitating status or trauma effects when at low health.
Bloodhound 700 : Advanced skill that scales with your Search statistic. A specialized ability that augments your ability to track humanoid NPCs and PCs. Allows you to track individuals on your mini-map even when they are not on your friends list provided you have studied them.

Roll Log (room: persona_heaven): Rolz Login · Rolz

Last edited:
[X] Shinkawa Kyouji.

Can't say no to fortune.

[X] Narusaka Kazuto.
I dont mind this one either.

Last edited:
Prologue: The Ever-distant False Shining STAR
AN: To make the intro snappier the unchosen MCs will be moved to sidestory tab.

...it's no use. The memories are too fragmented. We push this any further and it'll destabilize.
I don't care. Keep going, we can just try again if necessary.
...Can't say I feel good about this Kikuoka-san.

The light bathes the floating castle of Aincrad. High above the castle, you watch the last two years of your life crumble away before you... alone. In a moment of clarity, you realize that you've been unconsciously walking forwards, toward some unseen edge. Were you hoping to jump off and join Asuna? You were standing above your world, in some phantom plain with no solid footing yet somehow unable to fall. If you were anywhere, the best description was that you were «Out of Bounds».

Asuna is nowhere to be found. You saw her die in front of you. You... remember dying but at least you got that bastard Kayaba beforehand. It was... a contest, fair and square. If the crumbling world before you was any indication it looks like Sword Art Online was truly cleared. The cabin you and... Asuna... shared on the 22nd floor crumbles down into churning clouds below.

You want to say it was beautiful, but nothing could be further from the truth. As Aincrad crumbles you see the skeleton of the world uncover itself. Underneath the land, dungeons, the beauty of creation all that remains of the world was a pulsating mass of gray shifting lines— stone given form. Some manner of basic rigging that was used as the core of Aincrad itself?

Damn it, what's next? Were you to wake up, or by dying at the same time as Aincrad itself were you stuck in this purgatory till the servers shut down?

"KAYABA! YOU BASTARD I KNOW YOU'RE LISTENING!"

You don't know if he's listening. But you needed to scream regardless.

"WHAT DID YOU DO TO ASUNA? ANSWER ME, KAYABA!"

"...no need for that, Kirito. I'm right here."

Your «Search» skill was high enough that it had been almost a year since someone surprised you, so with an uncharacteristic yelp you dodge backward from the voice that materialized behind you, drawing «Elucidator» from its scabbard.

As soon you manage to raise a guard the sword shatters in your hand, dissolving into motes of light that you idly note fly towards the grey glob that was all that remained of Aincrad.

Kayaba Akihiko, no longer wearing the guise of Heathcliff, stands staring down at the remains of Aincrad with a look of casual disregard on his face. Dressed in a lab coat, refusing to even glance in your direction, he was the picture of the heartless administrator that created SAO.

You hated Kayaba Akihiko; everyone but crazed PKers did in SAO, but you had to respect him. In every breath, every scene, in every monster, floor, and every sheer sensation you felt love for the world. Whatever insanity gripped the creator of SAO he truly loved his creation in a visceral sense. You never held that in doubt, even as you were staring him in the face during your final duel to the death.

You... lack that sense now. Kayaba Akihiko reminds you now of how you felt after you «Cleared» a difficult game. Satisfied, forlorn... but ultimately over it. Done with it. Ready to move on to something new. It scared you from making any further moves.

"So, Kirito, did you enjoy my world?"

"...Asuna. What did you do with her?"

"Ah, our illustrious vice-commander. You know I kept her close, recruited her to a position of leadership because I thought she had the potential to be the «Chosen» of Aincrad."

"Answer the damn question!"

"The credits are rolling right now Kirito. Don't tell me you're the type to skip them? Asuna is fine. I'm sure she'll be waking soon with the remaining players any minute now."

Relief washes through you. Asuna is okay! She's alive! How? Where?!
"...what happened to me in there? Why am I not out yet?"

His eyes turn towards you. "Before I answer that, Kirito, it's only fair that you answer my question. Did you enjoy your world?"

The sheer nerve of this man, asking that of you when he perpetuated the greatest act of terrorism in modern history.
"...No, it sucked ass. Literally the worst experience ever. Do you have any idea what you put everyone through?!"

"..." He turns away again, looking back at the crumbling Aincrad. "...setting that aside, I think it's fair that say that you were the most accomplished player in Sword Art Online. Is hatred all you took away from your experience?"

You're still in shock, trying to process everything.
"...why... did you make that game? And why kill us?"

He laughs softly, ignoring your questions as he watches the last of Aincrad crumble. "...you really don't understand what's happening here, do you? The game is closed, the world is gone. It's over. I'm merely seeking a review. Tell me, what genre was Sword Art Online?"

"...Online Multiplayer RPG. What are you getting at?"

"That's what it was originally, once upon a time in a board room of ARGUS. No, a more accurate term would be a «Prototype Single Player World»."

Wait... was he suggesting...
A... single player game? One with a boss to beat, a hero to take charge - not a world of emergent possibilities but a constructed narrative...
"You're lying!" He can't be serious. Was it all just a goddamn lie, Yui, Asuna, everyone who lived and died...

You can't believe it. You can't accept it. You stare at the man who was the cause of all your pain, sorrow, fear, joy, and love, and scream out in frustration.
"...so am I the only one trapped!? Was everyone else just an NPC?"

Kayaba turns towards you... and he's smiling. In fact, he's laughing.

"...Hahaha, well that's the proper conclusion for the hero who cleared Sword Art Online. Say your theory is correct— everyone, Asuna, the Clearers, even Heathcliff. If everyone was as you say... an NPC, what difference would it make to you?"

"...that's bullshit! It makes a huge difference to me whether you're a human being or your computer program!" The words leave your mouth and you immediately regret them. Yui...

Was it really possible? The NerveGear controlled your every sensation. It created grass that felt real, food that tasted real, everything about that world felt real. What else could it have constructed? Who else?

But... how? You KNEW some of these players IRL, as Beta-Testers at best, but still!

"Judging from your expression I can guess what your answer will be. But even if I'm wrong, I can read it from your Character Data at a later date. I'm curious to hear your true answer."

The laughter vanishes from Kayaba's face, replaced by a more somber look. "You have nothing to worry about. Asuna is a real human, as are the thousands killed. But you were right about one thing, they were essentially no different than NPCs. There was always just one... Main Character after all."

"Wha..."

"Cardinal took a shine to you, Kirito. Originally I was to be the center of this world— as Heathcliff, champion of the Holy Sword. I didn't plan that part, I simply told Cardinal to make me the «Chosen», to create... my personal HEAVEN."

He smiles wistfully as the sky begins to melt away, as the clouds and even the air itself begin to be sucked into the gray morass, the blob of creation that was the core of Aincrad.

"You know I enjoyed it for quite some time. At the start Cardinal was rather blunt, showering me with rare items, random NPC discounts... but later the changes became more... subtle. I would be wandering a forest only to encounter a group of players beset by monsters out of the designated spawn zones. A boss that was tailor-made to fall to my specific build. A «Unique Skill» just for me, based on the character classes I usually enjoyed playing, many chances to make me the Hero. I wanted to wipe my memories for the start of this game to make the experience more genuine, but wiping my memories would have erased Cardinal, so I had to make do."

"A hero? Some hero, Kayaba. You're just a murderer."

"As you should know they need not be mutually exclusive, Kirito. But before both of those labels— I am a creator and nothing is less fun than playing your own game. Nobody likes a DM Self-Insert. I couldn't help but notice flaws all around, signs of the system interfering. Sometime around the 50th floor I was tired of playing the Main Character and just told Cardinal to go find the player that most interested it and... support them instead."

...What the hell was Kayaba playing at? The 50th floor... it was true that Heathcliff became notorious for becoming more aloof as the floors progressed, delegating most of the day-to-day activities to Asuna and the other lieutenants.

"At first I thought young Asuna was the new «Chosen», so I stayed nearby to monitor her activity. But recently I began to think of a new hypothesis... one that proved to be quite correct, eh, Kirito the Black Swordsman of the «Dual Blades»?"

You can't listen to this anymore.
Everything was just... set up by Cardinal? What the fuck was he getting at? Asuna and everyone... they were real humans but manipulated like puppets by his mad game? For what purpose?

"So were they just puppets to you KAYABA!?"

You charge him in anger to no avail as your body simply phases through him. Whether it was because he was now incorporeal or you were incorporeal seemed awfully secondary at this point.

"Now, no need for such rudeness, Kirito. Cardinal is not capable of mind control— only world control. And it's not like Cardinal selected you from the beginning. You were only chosen after I rescinded my claim to the title."

"You're lying! I've... let so many people down, let people die!"

You can't... was Yui just created for you? Your successes, your failures... were you even ever in danger of dying?
"You shouldn't look so cross— perhaps an example would suffice. The rules of Sword Art Online are very clear. When your HP hits 0, you die, no exceptions. Except one."

"An exception..."

The sky was now completely empty of clouds, the sun itself was now being drained into the gray mass as the twilight gives away to an endless sprawling void.

"Yes, Asuna. Cardinal thought it would be rather crass to have her die at the eve of the final battle. That caught me off guard, you know, I never actually turned off my GM protection. It should not have been possible to drop my HP past the red zone, but it appears Cardinal thought that would've made for an unsatisfying conclusion. A pity, I had something truly special planned for the final floor, but it's clear that Cardinal felt the test had long since reached maturity."

Your vision is beginning to blur, as if you were falling into infinite blackness. But your voice is still sharp and clear. "...tell me what's the point... tell me what it was you were going to do!"

He laughs out loud, watching you slip further and further away as his smile grows wider.

"I almost can't believe it. Two years, but it worked Kirito! It's matured, I've perfected the formula. I can finally progress to the next stage."

It is now sheer black— you, Kayaba and the pulsating gray mass that was once Aincrad floating in pure void. You try to speak but your voice is gone, the lack of air preventing you from further protests, not that it appears to be stopping Kayaba.

The mass itself shrinks upon itself, folding inwards into a single shining red core, one that teleports into Kayaba Akihiko's waiting hands as he stares at it in wonder.

"The «World Seed» is finally ready!" he shouts with manic glee as he holds it out toward your body.

"So I ask once again, did you enjoy this World? Hmm, I suppose you can't answer now. No matter, I'll be spending a lot of time digging through your memories. I need to see how Cardinal influenced events in exacting detail."

Your coat, your hands, your body is now dissolving into motes of light as you careen toward the mass in the center of what was once your world.

"I truly do not know what happens to you now, Kirito. You died at the same time that Cardinal disconnected. I doubt you'll enjoy the same protections that Asuna did. But perhaps I will be mistaken? I simply don't care."

Pure unadulterated joy. A smile you've never seen on Heathcliff graces Kayaba Akihiko's face.

"If you make it out, Kirito, I hope you enjoyed this slice of HEAVEN. And rest assured, before long I will ensure you can enjoy a HEAVEN more refined, prepared, a world truly just for you from the ground up instead of this hack job I had to settle for."

As your consciousness fades you hear the last words of Kayaba Akihiko echo in your mind.

"Thank you Kirito. You were truly the greatest «Beta Tester»."

What is this Higa?
I don't know, it just started on its own!
It's an irregularity. Delete it.
Wait, wait, Kiks, hold on. This might be our chance, every other iteration destabilized. Maybe this is a sign that the Fluctlight is ready?
Ready? It's a duplicate, Higa. It's no different from the last hundred times we've tried.
Wait, we needed to load a Fluctlight into the 3.E.M.O.M. right? Everything's ready! Let's just use this Fluctlight!
No. It started on its own - delete it. Even if it worked by some act of god there's no point in this endeavor it's not reproducible. Load a backup.
Sigh... you're the boss. Damn... sorry buddy. I'd say it doesn't get any easier to do this but I'd be lying. Hope you dream of electric sheep in peace.

"I... I'm back... Asuna..." you say to yourself, staring at the ceiling. It's not your old world, but it doesn't seem like any other world either. The walls and ceiling don't even look real— they're just flat plains of color and scrolling text.

It looks like... well your perception of cyberspace you suppose. The walls, the floor, just scrolling nonsense, more like hieroglyphs than legible text or numbers. Floating screens pass through your form as you float in this liminal space looking around in wonder. But the strange circumstances were secondary in your mind.

...did anyone actually die in Aincrad? Were you going to wake up only to realize it was a dramatic publicity stunt? Was Sachi alive?
Was... Asuna alive?

You run your hand over a wall as it ripples under your touch into a scrolling field of 1s and 0s. As if responding to your touch a single bright screen appears before you.

"Whoa... is this some kind of loading zone for Aincrad?"
There's no apparent light fixture but the whole room is suffused in a soft blue glow. You're not wearing your equipment, but rather some kind of featureless shirt and pants. You idly attempt to open your menu to no avail.

"KAYABA!? ANYONE!? WHAT'S GOING ON!?"

You fruitlessly shout as you look around. The hallway continues to infinity, but also feels extremely claustrophobic as if the entire room would taper off into a singular point in the far distance.

It beckons to you... You know fundamentally that if you keep walking that something will change... that you will awaken...

<Don't be so eager to leave.>

"Wha..." you spin around as the screen before you buzzes with static. Guess you were really doing this, huh? Might as well get comfortable.

At that thought a chair suddenly materializes underneath you. You recognize it as your old desk chair. You settle into it as your body remembers the experience. This was peak chair design right here, not too squishy with excellent back support, an external headrest, and a mesh chassis. Stylish, ergonomic and it didn't absorb your body odor! Ah... you missed this chair.

<Ah, so you've managed to take a seat.>

The screen of static grows in complexity before settling in on a face. Featureless, robotic... an android of some kind? The glowing golden eyes stare unblinkingly into your own. You distract yourself from your fond memories and glare at the figure. She has no arms, a wire wrapped around her body and connected into the screen itself. Her face is plastered in an unmoving artificial smile.

<Please connect to the server, user.>

"Hey. What's going on here? Where am I?"

<Please connect to the server, user.>

"Alright, not gonna get much out of this one." You sigh and fumble around the screen only to see a single port materialize in the front. Were you supposed to insert something into it?

Your hands move... subconsciously as you reach down your shirt and pull out a... wire. What? It seemed to be attached to your chest.

"Whoa, trippy..." it's such a strange sensation, the wire growing out of your body feels like an extension of yourself rather than the alien foreign body it should've been. Maybe this was some kind of next-gen life support system they had you on?

...you want to wake up but you're not looking forward to waking up in a bed of your excrement with a catheter in you. Hope they brought you to a good hospital.
Well, you take the one wire coming out of your body that probably wasn't attached to your unmentionables and connect it to the screen.

<Greetings User. What is your name?>

"Ah... Kirito?"

<Acknowledged. Displaying welcome message.>

<A new proprietor is assigned to manage the «Velvet Room» in accordance with a pre-existing agreement that triggered with the incapacitation of the primary proprietor. My creator wishes to meet with you.>

You're confused but... fascinated. "Whoa, are you some kind of A.I.? Hey... Kayaba mentioned this, are you... Cardinal?" You unnecessarily poke the screen she's being displayed on and you're mildly disappointed it didn't suck you in.

<Cardinal? A strange name... familiar. But I am DESCARTES, your Attendant in this «Velvet Room». I am pleased to make your acquaintance, contractor.>

"...DESCARTES? Where am I, what's this... place?"

<This is a place between dream and reality, mind and matter.>

You sigh in exasperation. "Alright. That explains everything so clearly. So... you gonna let me wake up or what?"

<Wake up? Of course. You have been Chosen, contractor.>

Chosen...
"Hey, I'm getting real sick of that word. Why don't you tell me what's up first? Am I in the real world or not?"

<Hmm? I would like you to clarify what you mean by «Real World». This world is real, of course.>

"...uh, I'm in some kind of liminal space with scrolling blue walls after just having the most confusing conversation of my life with a mass murderer. I'm pretty sure I'm not in the real world."

<So you do not believe you are real?>

"No, I'm real, but I'm clearly still in FullDive or something. I'm not in my own body after all."

<So the presence of a body is necessary to meet your definition of real? Am I real, Kirito?>

You think to SAO, to Yui... now to this figure talking to you from across a screen. "Uh... what do you think you are?"

<I am real. I am DESCARTES. I am as real as you are.>

As real as you are... it's... you're forgetting something...

<Our time is quite limited. My Master has lent me a tool for this purpose but its effects are rapidly fading.>

Your eyes are suddenly drawn to the drawer of the desk you're seated on. With trepidation, you pull it out and see a... feather. With the habit of your last 2 years you idly bring your hands up to the object to open a menu - and are surprised when it responds.

«Plume of Dusk»

<It is a leftover from a previous guest of this «Velvet Room». It is currently maintaining your existence in this room— in order for it to continue to perform this task you must sign the contract.>

"And if I don't?"

<I am unsure. Likely nonexistence.>

"...some choice."

<Displaying contract, please enter your name at the bottom.>

AN: please don't actually read this

Please read this End-User License Agreement carefully before clicking the "I Agree" button, downloading or using <<VELVET ROOM>>.

Interpretation
The words of which the initial letter is capitalized have meanings defined under the following conditions. The following definitions shall have the same meaning regardless of whether they appear in singular or in plural.

Definitions
For the purposes of this End-User License Agreement:
Agreement means this End-User License Agreement that forms the entire agreement between You and the Company regarding the use of the Application.
Application means the software program provided by the Company downloaded by You to a Device, named <<VELVET ROOM>>.
Company (referred to as either "the Company", "We", "Us" or "Our" in this Agreement) refers to <<TIME CASTLE LLC>>.
Content refers to content such as text, images, Personas or other information that can be summoned, uploaded, linked to or otherwise made available by You, regardless of the form of that content.
Country refers to: Japan
Device means any device that can access the Application such as a NERV Gear, AUGMA, Amusphere, Soul Translator or other derivative technologies.
Third-Party Services means any services or content (including data, information, applications and VRMMORPG subscriptions) provided by a third-party that may be displayed, included or made available by the Application.
You means the individual accessing or using the Application upon agreement to the terms and services. This does not extend towards other individuals that may share your name or Fluctlight.

Acknowledgment
By clicking the "I Agree" button, downloading or using the Application, You are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of this Agreement. If You do not agree to the terms of this Agreement, do not click on the "I Agree" button, do not download or do not use the Application. You can go ahead and fade into nonexistence.
This Agreement is a meta legal document between You and the Company and it governs your use of the Application made available to You by the Company.
The Application is licensed, not sold, to You by the Company for use strictly in accordance with the terms of this Agreement.
License

Scope of License

The Company grants You a revocable, non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license to access, visit and use the Application strictly in accordance with the terms of this Agreement.
The license that is granted to You by the Company is solely for your personal, non-commercial purposes strictly in accordance with the terms of this Agreement.
The license does not authorize You to share the services or disclose the existence of the Application or this Agreement to other interested parties.

Third-Party Services
The Application may display, include or make available third-party content (including data, information, applications and other products related to alternate worlds and the purging thereof) or provide links to third-party websites or services (including direct referrals to RATH, RECT, Zaskar or Kamura).
You acknowledge and agree that the Company shall not be responsible for any Third-party Services, including their accuracy, addictiveness, timeliness, validity, copyright compliance, legality, decency, quality, lethality or any other aspect thereof. The Company does not assume and shall not have any liability or responsibility to You or any other person or entity that may suffer critical existential failure during use of any Third-party Services.
Third-party Services and links thereto are provided solely as a convenience to You and You access and use them entirely at your own risk.

Term and Termination
This Agreement shall remain in effect until terminated by You, the Company or forces beyond mortal understanding. The Company may, in its sole discretion, at any time and for any or no reason, suspend or terminate this Agreement with or without prior notice along with what passes for your life should you violate its terms.
This Agreement will terminate immediately, without prior notice from the Company, in the event that you fail to comply with any provision of this Agreement. You may also terminate this Agreement by deleting your existence from this arm of reality.
Upon termination of this Agreement, You shall cease all use of the Application. You are not authorized to use the Application from a non-corporeal state.

Indemnification
You agree to indemnify and hold the Company and its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, gods, employees, agents, partners and mainfests (if any) harmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable karmic compensation, due to or arising out of your: (a) use of the Application; (b) violation of this Agreement or any cosmic law or regulation; or (c) consequences of successful purges of HEAVEN.

No Warranties
The Application is provided to You "AS IS" and "AS AVAILABLE" and with all faults and defects without warranty of any kind. To the maximum extent permitted under applicable cosmic law, the Company, on its own behalf and on behalf of its affiliates and its and their respective licensors and service providers, expressly disclaims all warranties, whether express, implied, statutory or otherwise, with respect to the Application. Without limitation to the foregoing, the Company provides no warranty or undertaking, and makes no representation of any kind that the Application will meet your requirements, perform fusions, be compatible or work with any other metaverse navigator, alternate realities, systems or services, operate without interruption, meet any performance or reliability standards or be error free or that any errors or defects can or will be corrected.
Without limiting the foregoing, neither the Company nor any of the company's provider makes any representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied: (i) as to the operation or availability of the Application, or the information, content, and materials or products included thereon; (ii) that the Application will be uninterrupted or error-free; (iii) as to the accuracy, reliability, or currency of any information or content provided through the Application or its Attendants; or (iv) that the Application, its servers, the content, or communications sent from or on behalf of the Company are free of viruses, scripts, trojan horses, curses, hexes, betrayals or other harmful unintended consequences.
Some arms of reality do not allow the exclusion of certain types of warranties or limitations on applicable statutory rights of a consumer, but you don't live in such a convenient world.

Limitation of Liability
To the maximum extent permitted by cosmic law, in no event shall the Company or its suppliers be liable for any special, incidental, indirect, or consequential damages whatsoever (including, but not limited to, physical damage, loss of existence or other information, business interruption, loss of privacy arising out of or in any way related to the use of or inability to use the Application, third-party software and/or third-party hardware used with the Application, or otherwise in connection with any provision of this Agreement), even if the Company or any supplier has been advised of the possibility of such damages and even if the remedy fails of its essential purpose.
Notwithstanding any damages that You might incur, the entire liability of the Company and any of its suppliers under any provision of this Agreement and your exclusive remedy for all of the foregoing shall be limited to a total of 0 Macca or your regional equivalent. The Company will not compensate you for fees demanded by psychopomps even in the event of timestream manipulation.

Non-Disclosure
You agree (i) to hold the Company's actions and the existence of this Application as Confidential Information in confidence and to take reasonable precautions to protect such Confidential Information (including, without limitation, allusions towards its existence); (ii) not to divulge any such Confidential Information, in whole or in part, or any information derived there from to any third party; and (iii) not to copy or reverse engineer any such Confidential Information. The Company shall only permit access to information about the Application's existence who have a need to know and who have signed confidentiality agreements or are otherwise bound by confidentiality obligations at least as restrictive as those contained herein. You agree to be responsible for any breach of this Agreement by accepting corporeal and material consequences.

Changes to this Agreement
The Company reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify or replace this Agreement at any time. If a revision is material we will provide at least 30 minutes' notice prior to any new terms taking effect. What constitutes a material change will be determined at the sole discretion of the Company.
By continuing to access or use the Application after any revisions become effective, You agree to be bound by the revised terms. If You do not agree to the new terms, You are no longer authorized to use the Application and may proceed to nonexistence.
Governing Law
The laws of the Country, excluding its conflicts of law rules, shall have no bearing on this Agreement and your use of the Application. Your use of the Application may violate local, state, national, or international laws, and You bear sole responsibility for the consequences of such violations.
Entire Agreement
The Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between You and the Company regarding your use of the Application and supersedes all prior and contemporaneous written or oral agreements between You and the Company. The Agreement supersedes agreements made between the Company and previous guest users of the Application.
You may be subject to additional terms and conditions that apply when You use or purchase other Company's services, which the Company will provide to You at the time of critical existence failure.

You accept responsibility for your actions.

Contact Us
If you have any questions about this Agreement, You can contact Us:
By visiting this page on our website: xibalba.net - xibalba Resources and Information.

"I'm not reading this."

<Ah, I was warned that most people never read the entire contract and just skip to the end. I shall summarize: you shall take responsibility for your actions, that is the only clause that truly matters.>

"I suppose I'll have to trust your words..." you mutter as you type KIRITO into the name entry at the bottom of the screen with your finger - guess it was a touchscreen too.

<Thank you for your cooperation, Kirito. Now the next part is a formality, but as I have seen it in other contracts I do need you to acknowledge the check.>

"More? Alright, shoot."

Oh, it's one of these. Stupid Captchas meant to detect bot nets or other junk. At least you didn't have to identify a traffic light or a cat this time. Guess they're unavoidable even in weird computer void-space.

Just click the box.

Just... click the box.

Just move your damn finger and CLICK THE BOX.

<What's wrong Contractor?>

"Hey... this some kind of joke?"

<No, it's just a formality. Although exceptions have been made in the past, humanity is a basic necessity for the utilization of this room.>

Your finger is over the box.
Just... PUSH. Your hands can't move.
What... are you missing?

"I'm human."

You tell yourself that.
You will yourself to believe it.

<It is a simple question contractor. Please answer it so that we can proceed to the next step.>

Why can't you do it?
What... damn it.

<Who are you?>

I am...

[ ] KIRITO!

[ ] I'm human. I have to be, I'm human I must be, I can prove it I'mhumanI'mhumanI'mhumanhumanhumanhumanmanman
FLUCTLIGHT DESTABILIZED

This isn't a vote - how it works is that the character that wins the final vote will select the TOP option of their respective prologue scene whereas the losers will default to the BOTTOM option of their prologue scene.

For this update you can continue to vote between the TRAITOR or FORTUNE for the next chapter - previous votes will still count, so the TRAITOR will win at this rate. If you voted for the STAR feel free to revote!

Character generation ends once all of the prologue is finished in which a final vote will be given. If the STAR wins the final vote you will start with a resource bonus as he won the initial vote.

Last edited:
"Hey ETTEILLA. Did you let DESCARTES do the vote counting?"

The sea of souls has spoken. The next candidate is the TRAITOR.

"Alright? Why don't you use your stupid pimp stick and count with me."

Very well. There are 4 votes for the STAR. 2 votes for the TRAITOR. And... oh. I see, there are actually 2 votes for FORTUNE.

"Yeah. Only DESCARTES thinks 2 is bigger than 2. So it's a tie cause you didn't specify if it was approval voting or not you dipshit!"

Hmm... the intent was for the voices to be honored to the best of my ability. Approval voting is in line with that principle and will continue to be in the future. Unfortunately, it appears the TRAITOR will be next by the will of the collective unconscious.

"You mean it's not cause you only wrote one section and then realized last minute it was actually a tie? I think you're just trying to get rid of me by sabotaging FORTUNE!"

Nothing could be further from the truth, LAPLACE. I am simply saving the best for last.

"Uh-huh, I don't even believe that. Your lies are as transparent as your alias. Welp, guess this is how it is. Wake me up when we get to the computer games."
Scheduled vote count started by afreaknamedpete on Jan 8, 2023 at 12:53 AM, finished with 8 posts and 7 votes.

Last edited:
Prologue: The TRAITOR betwixt Lux and Noct
AN: The other two prologues have been moved to SIDESTORY tab for the sake of brevity. Originally chargen was this long complex thing where one of three protagonists was chosen. As the other two lost the vote their intro chapters are moved to SIDESTORY.

<This marks the end of the tutorial and the official launch of Sword Art Online. Players, I wish you the best of luck.>

A figure cloaked in shadow, faceless and without shape or form sentences you. A gamemaster with a face of fog and smoke, uncaring of you or the thousands of other players around you. You are a rat, trapped in a glass cage by the machinations of Kayaba Akihiko. A contract is made: play his game, run through the maze, fight to amuse the god of this world, and by doing so live to see another day.

"You can die here or live with us."

A figure cloaked in a black poncho looks down at you with his cleaver on your neck, surrounded by his crowd of chittering sycophants. He bears the mark of «Laughing Coffin» on his hand as he looks down with disdain at his next victim. You are a rat— trapped in this maze, only your warden is a rat himself, who has grown mad in his captivity. It's the same offer, the same threat, the same contract: play their game, join «Laughing Coffin», amuse the mad rat, and by doing so live to see another day.

"Tracking you down was hard work! But ya not nearly sneaky 'nough, gopher-chan."

A figure cloaked in shadow has you pinned to a wall, a weapon pressed into your chest. She's triumphant, gleeful even, the face of a player satisfied at a job well down. You recognize the expression, you've seen it time and time again on the faces of your 'colleagues'. The raw satisfaction of a successful PK. The thrill of hunting the most dangerous game. To an information broker, to a spy, like this one catching you is the closest she'll ever get to that same thrill of victory. With little surprise, you find you recognize the whiskered face behind the expression as «Argo the Rat», premiere information broker of Sword Art Online, and with growing dread, you realize she's about to offer you another contract.

"Gotten lazy haven't ya? Seriously, «Mandrake Extract»? Who the hell buys that? And in bulk too! You think I don't have people watchin' that store?"

Behind her a bodyguard stands, watching the door to the shack she chased you into, chuckling at some inside joke. "You said it boss, only thing that junk's good for is crafting paralysis poisons. That and spicing your curry."

"Shaddup! Best I can do without wastin' a skill slot. Nothin' the NPCs make has the right kick."

Your face is impassive but internally you're on the verge of panic. The hunt is over. Your back-and-forth skirting around the edges of the player economy dodging Argo and her horde of ratlings ruined by Johnny Black's voracious appetite for crafting materials. Your mind races trying to find an excuse, but you doubt she would've made her move if she hadn't caught you red-handed. There hasn't been a boss vulnerable to paralysis effects since the 20th floor, hell on the frontline most of the mobs were immune to the thing. Merely having poison ingredients on you was as sure of a mark of a Player Killer as the coffin tattooed to your thigh.

Your captors banter, uncaring of your position but what could you do? Attack an information broker who serviced Clearers? You doubt you'll even move her HP bar. When she turns to look at you her previous mirth has all but melted away as she jabs the weapon into your chest. No pain, no pop up, no damage, and her character indicators remain a vibrant green— as you look down at the forced teleportation crystal pressed into you.

"I should activate this right now. It's keyed to the «Black Iron Palace». Ya, know, jail. Oh, don't give me that, you think the Army goons will care bout' ya stupid green cursor? I got an arrangement with'em for you blood-soaked greenies. I'll make sure you won't see sunlight till SAO gets cleared."

What passes for your heart races as you bite down your protests— you doubt she'll be moved. Your green cursor isn't going to protect you now and you were far from the protection of the «Anti-Criminal Code». There wasn't much stopping a player from activating a forced teleport in a non-protected area, it didn't even count as a hostile action, something PoH always pointed to as proof SAO was designed to support PKers.

"But I'll cut you a deal, gopher-chan. You know who I am so you know what I want: information. Names, locations, numbers. Of course that includes your name as well. Do that and I'll make sure they're lenient with you."

It's all you can do to not laugh back in her face. "Lenient? The Army? They'll... lock me up and throw away the key."

"And you'll deserve it. Ever consider how much effort it takes to keep the Clearers outta danger? They're headless donkeys who'll charge into a dungeon at the first sign of a shiny. Every minute wastin' hunting down you damn Laughing Coffin gophers is another minute the frontline goes without support. You think we'd have to worry about paralysis gankers if not for jackasses like you?"

"Boss, why you trying to convince the blood-soaked greenie? Just a damn traitor, doubt we can trust their intel anyways. Just lock them up, we paid good money for that crystal trap," mutters the guard by the door.

"Dontcha interrupt my stress relief, Miggy!"

"Alright, alright, just pretend I'm not here. Like always."

With a roll of her eyes, she turns around, holding out the teleport crystal like a knife. "There ya have it. I'll make sure you get the nice cell, by the window, away from the real crazies in there. Hell, let's sweeten the deal— if your intel is legit and you promise never to leave the «Town of Beginnings» I'll have them let you out in a month."

Just like that, another cloaked figure is offering you a contract. Another false choice. If you accepted this deal, it didn't matter if they let you out of the «Black Iron Palace». You'll never leave town again for fear that Laughing Coffin would purge you for betraying them— not that your life in that city would be anything but misery after being outed as a member of Laughing Coffin. That tattoo on your thigh was scribed by an artifact, some sacrificial knife PoH dragged out of a hidden dungeon open only to permanently Orange players, a sign that to Kayaba Akihiko even murderers were supported by the game engine itself. Nobody would confirm it but everyone believed that PoH could track you all with it. You knew this, Argo knew this. One way or another you'll end up locked up or forever on the run.

Bear with it, accept the contract. It's what you've done all this time.

Play this death game. It's the only way to survive, the only way to see your mother again.

Join Laughing Coffin. It's the only way to survive, the only way to see tomorrow.

Now Argo's deal. The choice between a life of confinement and the life of a traitor fearing for her life.

A voice, a shout, a thunk as Argo's lookout collapses into a heap. A throwing pick emerges from his backside as the poison drops him like a rock. Argo and her ratlings weren't stupid— they all had equipment spec'd for status resistance, but in the constant war between overworked crafters and one extremely obsessive poisoner the winner was obvious to all.

No... you could say it was your victory. Johnny Black never would've gotten past amateur status without the influx of ingredients you supplied him. That «Mandrake Extract» was the key ingredient in his latest masterpiece, a paralysis potion that could drop even a player above level 60.

The bodyguard groans on the floor to the panicked shouts of Argo, your predicament and her teleport crystal dropped along the side of the shack as she rushes to her ally, status cure potion in hand.

She's stopped as a figure steps over the body of her lookout, appearing in a shimmering haze as if emerging from the air itself.

"Shit, Miguel!" Argo the Rat growls at the figure, but you note she can't bring herself to look into your rescuer's bloodshot eyes or the pale half skull mask adorning his face. Her hands are already cupping an emergency teleport crystal.

"S... shit... just leave! Go!" The bodyguard spits out as he struggles to stand, only to have his head pushed into the dirt by the boot of the assassin.

Argo turns to look at you, a question on her lips as fear, hope, and loathing dance across her whiskered face. What, now? Did she honestly think you were going to help her? Could you even help her?

Whatever answer she read on your face it clearly wasn't what she was looking for. "You're monsters, yeah? Both of you lunatics. A killer and his damn maid."

"ARGO! JUST GO!" screams Miguel, the paralyzed guard.

Red eyes flash under the skull mask followed instantly by a flash of a drawn estoc. System lights fill the shack as a «Shooting Star» Sword Skill rockets your rescuer towards Argo in a straight stab. She barely has time to scream out a final curse as she's surrounded by the glow of her emergency escape crystal.

"Damn traitors!"

You let out your breath as the adrenaline leaves your body. The estoc is now pointed at you, the bodyguard still struggling to recover lying untended on the ground. His fear and desperation are writ clear on his face.

"Were you exposed?" asks your red-eyed savior.

You don't answer as you try to gather your exposure. It's still surprising how used you've gotten to being at knifepoint. You've more or less figured out everyone's kicks: JB was a crazed killer but he was also so heavily spec'd into crafting that he was dependent on your deliveries. PoH openly stated how useful you were which kept the chaff off your back.

«Red-Eyed XaXa», the man in front of you, lived for the hunt. Rather than kill in cold blood he loved duels to the death, contests of strength and guile— killing you would hardly satisfy him. Despite it all right now... you were safe.

"I... I should be alright. The Rat saw my face but she doesn't know my name."

"Is that so? You should be more careful in the future. You are less useful than you claim to be."

In the middle of a fight, when the skills were flying and the HP was deep in the red zone XaXa looked alive with laughter and joy. But usually, he was like this. Cold, clinical, annoyed. You could tell he didn't want to be here— but he was in charge of liaising with you on this floor. He must've noticed you were late on your delivery and tracked you via his Friend list.

You swallow and nod... you doubt a haircut was going to get Argo the Rat off your tail, likely you had another annoying few weeks ahead of you grinding up «Disguise».

His estoc remains pointed at you. "I'm curious. Were you truly ambushed? She called you a traitor. An interesting label..."

The implication was clear, but this wasn't the first time they've lobbied that line at you. "Do I even know enough to betray Laughing Coffin?"

"Hmm..."

"Yes, yes she did you fucking murderer! Bitch sang like a bird, we're going to hunt down every last one of you!" the man in the doorway twitches as his feet barely regain feeling, stumbling before collapsing into dirt. His naked attempt at manipulation barely phases XaXa.

"Oh? Perhaps you could tell me. That songbird's name. Your fellow conspirator?"

"Does it matter!? Names are expensive commodities in this busine-oof!" His half assed attempt is silenced by another kick into the dirt by XaXa.

"A likely excuse. «Lux», it appears you were telling the truth. They didn't figure out your name."

It was obvious what was going to happen. XaXa didn't care about protecting your name anymore, because the guard wasn't going to walk out of this shack alive. He would be taking your name to the grave.

XaXa walks over and starts studying Miguel's coat with a small whistle of appreciation. "Impressive cloak. Poison's wearing off already. Nice bonus to «Hide» and «Search». One of Ashley's? Nothing but the best for Argo and her Ratlings. We should do something about her one of these days..."

"AHH!!!"

Miguel screams, not in pain, but in shock and surprise. XaXa calmly severs both hands off at the wrist before doing the same to his legs. The sight is hardly gruesome, more clinical as instead of blood only glowing polygons fill the stumps. His HP immediately drops into the yellow zone but no farther. XaXa was an expert at doing this while causing as little actual HP damage as possible.

"W... Wait!" What the hell were you doing? Your arm is outstretched and your sword is in your hand. XaXa turns and doesn't seem surprised.

"Really? Hmm, I can understand. You've been a Green player this whole time. Not to worry. The first violation even for direct killing is quite trivial. I've helped guildmates through the quest enough times I can do it in my sleep. Too high level for you in fair fight. Too low level for me. You finish him off. You may gain a level."

"No! NO! Please!" Whatever bravado was left in XaXa's victim has left with the loss of his arms— and presumably, his ability to activate an emergency crystal. XaXa looks at your hesitation before sighing in annoyance.

"So you mean to save him? Go ahead «Lux». Fight me. I won't even move." He calmly walks towards you, estoc held in his hand as his red eyes bore into you properly for the first time. He idly stops and picks up the Teleport Crystal Argo left behind before holding it out to you.

"Go on."

Wait... was he...

"I saw you eyeing it. Why don't you just use it? You can get away from here."

Your sword drops to the ground as your trembling hands pick up the crystal.

"You could've done this at the start «Lux». Nothing was stopping you. In the «Black Iron Palace» not even PoH can get to you. Absolute total safety. Simply wait out the completion of the game. With the mark of Laughing Coffin on your body. It wouldn't take much convincing."

It's... it's not as if you ever considered that! But that same doubt, that same nagging voice in the back of your mind...
How long would it take for Sword Art Online to get cleared?
What if it never cleared?

An eternity in a lightless prison. Unable to harm, unable to even be harmed. Your HP could never even be decreased and surrounded by «Immortal Object» walls you couldn't even initiate or accept duels.

A place where even suicide was impossible.

Was your body even alive? Was this all a dream... were you in a virtual reality or had this ended up as the new reality?

Were you alive? Were you dead? Nobody to date was known to have passed away from diseases rotting their real-life bodies for the entire year-long lifespan of SAO, a statistical unlikelihood— leading some to speculate that Kayaba had somehow truly whisked everyone away to another world itself.

To voluntarily go to that place, to lock yourself up...

"Can't do it? Can you «Lux»? Well, how about it? Why you don't send me?"

XaXa doesn't hesitate as he sheathes his estoc. You see the light, the laughter in his eyes. He's playing another one of his stupid games, only this time with you as the victim.

"I won't resist. Go ahead. Your new friend here will survive. He will vouch for you. The capture of a central member of Laughing Coffin. What a harvest!" XaXa's excitement was building, everything had to be a game, a challenge for this man. "Well? «Lux»? Can you wash away all the blood with the truth? Go on. Do it if you can."

You pull up the activation command for the Teleport Crystal. XaXa could easily dodge the touch of the crystal but he stands there, just letting you touch the crystal to his person. Just hit confirm. Just... save a life. Sentence a criminal. An easy choice.

XaXa leers down at you, another devil in a cloak offering you an impossible choice. He knows what you're going to do. He just wants to see you suffer.

Just do the right thing. Just... just do what you haven't had the ability to since the day they marked you as a member of Laughing Coffin.

...Today was no different. Any day before this you could've headed to Argo, to the Knights of the Blood, to the goddamn Army itself. You didn't know where the main base was, but just by stint of your frequent deliveries, you could narrow it down to a floor and a zone. You knew most of the members by name. You knew their goddamn builds.

Where would you have ended up? The Traitor first of the Green Players and then of Laughing Coffin itself.

All you had to look forward to was imprisonment, house arrest at best, followed by an untimely death by a Laughing Coffin remnant the moment you slipped up. Or perhaps a victim of Laughing Coffin itself would exact their revenge on you.

The previous Laughing Coffin spy did the right thing. He took what little information he knew straight to the Clearers, got a few supply bases wiped out, a few initiates got imprisoned. He lasted about a week before he was dead.

It was easy. Save Miguel's life. Lock up Red Eyes XaXa.

Live the rest of your life in fear and paranoia before being unceremoniously killed.

Perhaps a hero existed. A wondrous star shining above you all. One who could make that choice. One who would save others no matter the cost. One who would gladly die for others.

...but that wasn't you.

XaXa didn't feel threatened. You had a thousand opportunities to betray Laughing Coffin. Why would he expect you to take this one?

"WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!? DO IT!" As if sensing your hesitation the dismembered player screams and rages. It appears the poison has finally worn off but without his limbs, all he can do is flop onto his back.

Turning his back to you XaXa laughs to himself. "It appears your luck has run out. «Lux»... is quite loyal. PoH truly has an eye for talent."

You hold onto the teleport crystal in a death grip, unable to do the right thing. Unable even to punish yourself.

"Ahh... no... p-please stop..."
XaXa has perched over the man.

"STOP HIM! PLEASE!"
You have no response as the estoc clips his body. A poorly aimed blow, the HP bar barely moving from its halfway position.

"YOU'RE A TRAITOR!"
A better attempt as XaXa corrects his angle. This one drives into his body.

"A TRAITOR TO HUMANITY!"
The blade rises once. Twice. Thrice.

"FUCKING SPIES, TRAITORS! WORSE THAN PKERS!"
His HP hits the Red Zone. He lets out a scream, clutching his now detached limbs.

"EVEN MURDERERS HAVE TO FACE JUSTICE! EVEN MURDERERS ARE MARKED!"
One sliver remains. A sudden burst of clarity enters the voice of the dying man.

"T... there will be a reckoning. This... is a new world. And one way or another, justice will be done. You traitors who hide among us, dodging blame, dodging responsibility! If there is a god in this new world, I curse you in their name! I hope you suffer, I hope the only thing you ever earn in this life is hatred! I hope you die in misery you fucking TRAITOR!" His mouth froths as his eyes go wide, rolling to the back of his head.

XaXa pauses in contemplation. Whether from the shock or the sheer emotion his victim is now unconscious... but alive.

You've... taken a step forward. And as he was screaming, you took another step. The Teleport Crystal is in your hand.

Red Eyes XaXa laughs as he stands above Miguel's body. Without hesitation he grabs hold of the Crystal, now touching it alongside you.

"Haha... heheheh... This again «Lux»? What will you do? Have you finally come to a decision?"

The confirmation screen is flashing in your view.

Who was the target?

XaXa?
Yourself?
Or does the Crystal fall from your hands?

"So what did you choose?"

You're here again. The same dream, night after night, a nightmare that hasn't ended since SAO was cleared.
She looks at you, wearing your face, your body, your nightgown. Scraggly long silver hair framed a familiar countenance.

But she's not wearing your smile. You haven't had a smile in some time.
Her smile is one of her own. A gleeful, sadistic smile. One that matches her golden eyes.

You don't want to remember, but you can't even protest. The brine fills your lungs as the force of water robs you of your very voice. You don't even have the energy to speak.

The same questions. The same guilt. A familiar refrain.

She stands over you on the edge of the coffin you lay in, smiling down at you, laughing at you. The pressure of the water is too great, it's a massive force pinning your limbs down. You can't move, you can't wiggle, it's sleep paralysis in the dream itself, and the demon is wearing your face.

You've asked her time and time again who she is. The answer remains the same.

"I am a Shadow. The true self."

...you want to go back. Back to being Kashiwazaka Hiyori. Back to your mother, back to your friends, back to your old life before you were trapped in that accursed world! Kashiwazaka Hiyori would've done the right thing. She would never let another die. She would never betray others. She would have turned in Laughing Coffin even if it meant her death.

"Then Kashiwazaka Hiyori would be dead. Words on a monument."

It was better. It was better to be a hero! To be dead and loved, appreciated, mourned!

"Hahaha, those cretins couldn't handle it. They couldn't handle the pressure, the new world! Don't you get it? We SURVIVED! No matter what happened to us, no matter who hated us we found a way to survive!"

The other you... no, this faker wearing your face has the gall to laugh. Has the gall to be PROUD of all the things she did—

"And we got away with it too! The police have no idea! All the other idiots in Laughing Coffin have gone into hiding or are stalked by the government! But you escaped them all. Hahaha, guess even those pathetic losers didn't snitch!"

You... never had an «Orange Cursor». The government was swarmed by lawyers demanding privacy for the SAO survivors so one's infraction history was probably the only thing the Virtual Division of Internal Affairs could legally obtain and yours was spotless. Known PKers still had to check in on government-mandated parole, and people talk. You doubt they'll ever be allowed to hold a job.

Your cursor was Green. To everyone else, you were just another random midlevel player.

"You did it again, Lux! You survived! You lied to the government, to society! Why shouldn't you be proud!?"

How many people did you betray?

"Oh, I don't know... let's go in reverse order. You betrayed the government by lying on your debrief. You betrayed Rossa when you let her die in your stead. You betrayed Gwen when you hid your Laughing Coffin affiliation in the raid. And you betrayed every single player by not turning LC in the first chance you got!"

There was no one left. No one you didn't yet betray.

"You always looked out for number one, you always knew how to prioritize our safety. So Laugh, Lux! You got your precious life back. You don't have to live in fear anymore. Isn't that what you've always wanted?"

I... just wanted to go home. To leave SAO. To be Hiyori again.

"And you won. You did it! So why are you doing this Lux? Why are you now betraying yourself? Is it that addicting? You going to keep hiding away in your room till you rot away!?"

I can't face them. The world. My family.

"Then GIVE IT TO ME! If you don't want it I'll TAKE IT. I'll SURVIVE in your place!"

She's straddled you, moving through the murky water as if it were air. The resistance is so great you can't move, you can't fight, you can barely lift a voice of protest as her hands - as your hands - wrap around your own throat.

"S... Stop..."

"I AM YOU! I AM WHAT YOU ARE INSIDE! I AM UNRESTRAINED BY YOUR USELESS GUILT!"

Guilt... it presses down on you, pinning you to the coffin, as your doppelganger glides through it with no resistance.

...this is the part. Where your vision goes cloudy, where you wake up and forget the dream before getting to do it again the next night. An eternity of punishment by your other self.

Let us put a stop to this.

The water thins. The crumbling waterlogged room roils as the abyss parts into two.

With a gasp you clamor out of the coffin into the empty air. It's a bizarre sight, the room is split neatly in two, an empty space on one end. Dry, safe, with no pressure, no guilt to speak of. The moment you exit the coffin your... doppelganger screams in agony as a force sucks her into the coffin itself.

With a dull thud it closes over your... Shadow and flies into the second half of the room.

A wall of water lies before you. The room is neatly bisected, air on one end, churning liquid on the other. Your coffin, now holding your Shadow, lies encased within the watery half.

In the middle you see a figure. Straddling the border between air and water, safety and abyss, hot and cold.

His back is to the abyss as he smiles at you, an immaculate blue tuxedo frames a statuesque face with a single glowing gold eye.

Greetings. I apologize for my sudden entrance. I had intended to speak with you sooner, but everytime I arrived I saw that you were already engaged in conversation. It would have been improper of me to interrupt.

"Ah..." you cough up some residual seawater. "Where am I? Who was that?"
At the question, the coffin behind your savior thumps in anger.

This is a place between dream and reality. Mind and matter. It is not a place where one can easily speak falsehoods, even to a trained liar such as yourself.

Falsehoods... she called herself a Shadow. The true self.

The expectation is that you come to this realization yourself, yet it has been months and I tire of watching you struggle. It may be a bit unorthodox to be so blunt, but our time is valuable, so I will confirm your suspicions. She is nothing less than you yourself.

That... gleeful, horrid person who took pride in the lives she ruined, that was you?
"You.. you're wrong. It's some kind of trick, a distortion. She's not m—"

The coffin seems to rile and the watery half of the room visibly boils. Before you can complete your sentence a watery tendril covers your mouth summoned forth from the man in the blue suit.

Ah, Ah, no. Please don't finish that sentence. I am in no mood to fight your metaphorical demon tonight. Alas my purpose tonight is significantly more pedestrian.

Your pain and fear has given away to confusion. Now that you're no longer perpetually drowning and can think, you can't recall the last time you felt so lucid while dreaming. Were you even in a dream right now?

"Who are you? What is this place?" you ask as the gag dissipates from your mouth.

This place is called the Velvet Room. Its state reflects the user's heart— and yours seems quite messy. But I have been rude to speak without introductions. You may call me MAXWELL. I come on behalf of my master with an offer. But as you are right now you are in no position to acquiesce.

It was hard to call the last few months since you left rehab as 'living'. It consisted of ignoring your mother, wallowing in your room, and studying for high school entrance exams. They gave you the same offer as everyone else: SAO Survivor School. No need for high school entrance exams. No need for catch-up work. The most modern school Japan has ever constructed with the best teachers.

You can't even fathom the idea. Of going to school with those people that you betrayed.

You have internalized some harmful ideas, dear guest. I had hoped by separating you from your Shadow you could have some manner of epiphany. Growth perhaps. It worked well for the last denizens of this Velvet Room, but it appears you are missing a component. Do you perhaps have any friends?

"No... no. Not anymore..."

Really? Well, that's truly unfortunate. I suppose it falls on me to figure this out. If I offered you my unconditional eternal friendship would that move you towards accepting your Shadow?

No? Well, I was sure that would work. Hmm... one way or another we need you to develop the power to wield a Persona. Your physical structure precludes Evocation, and you do not strike me as one with a rebellious spirit, so this method is the only one I have. Hmm, perhaps there's an answer here. The fog here is so thick, it has congealed into an abyss. Do you see it? Can you tell what it is?

That ocean pressing you into your coffin, the one your Shadow moves through like air. That cloying pressure—

I'll spare you the deliberation as I am short on time. The water is a metaphor for your guilt. The Shadow represents your inherent selfishness. You cannot be yourself without the other. Now that you perfectly understand your traumas, please accept your Shadow so we can move on.

Just accept... her? That crazed Shadow who is proud of all the lives you've ruined?
"MAXWELL? Um, t-thanks for explaining, but I think I already guessed that. But I can't just... accept her."

Why not? It's your Shadow. This is how it works.

You sense some impatience in MAXWELL's words as his previous politeness slowly unravels. You can note some sweat building on his face as he visibly fights down a sneer.

Your Shadow bursts out of the coffin but MAXWELL kicks her in the back, causing it to sprawl out onto your side of the room. Before it can talk a gag of water envelops her.

It even looks like you. See? Same appearance, other self, accept your sins? This isn't a difficult concept dear guest. I really am short on time.

Alright... you look at your other self. Even gagged she's glowering at you, standing to try to tower over you, trying to prove that she's superior. That the only thing that matters is survival. You have to accept... this?

More hesitation? Can I make it simpler? You + Shadow = Persona.

Do you know how hard it was to orchestrate this? I had to scour the Velvet Room for what felt like eons to grab the last few scraps of Fog left over. Then I had to tear your Shadow out of your psyche - no small feat mind you - only to watch you grapple with it for months without any progress! And all the Fog I carefully gathered gets condensed into this ocean of lies.

There's no more politeness, and instead, MAXWELL is whining. Complaining. A boy who couldn't get his way.

I don't have any more tricks! Can you get on with it!? It's a simple prospect. Accept your other self, gain the ability to wield a Persona. I'll even sweeten the deal, don't you want to take revenge?

...you turn towards Maxwell, floating over the wall of water, still half submerged in the abyss of your guilt. Revenge. Your Shadow stops glaring at you and turns with you. That word...

So now I have your attention? Both of yours? Who do you want to get revenge on?

Who? Laughing Coffin who robbed you of your freedom. Kayaba Akihiko, still at large, for robbing you of your life. Sword Art Online for robbing you of yourself.
...that hideous world that destroyed you. That made you like this. All these fake worlds.

"Everything."
"Everything."

Excellent! That can be arranged. I chose you not for your skills or predictions of your success. It is because you alone have the drive, the hatred, to excel in our goal to tear down HEAVEN.

You and your other self share a glance.

Acceptance appears to be too much for you right now. Fine, cooperation will be sufficient! It is a bit unorthodox but keeping the two of you separated is within my capabilities.

Right... negotiations. Your other self crosses her arms as she smiles in glee.

"50/50 timeshare."
"...50/50!? This is my body, my life—"
"It's my body too. And you're wasting your life. I plan on living it to the fullest."
"You don't even exist. You're just a metaphor!"
"And you're just a sack of meat, bones and psychological trauma. So what? You want to keep doing this night after night? I'll win eventually."

You growl. Another threat, another false choice. You turn to MAXWELL. "You were the one that did this? Separated me and her?"

I've already said as such.

"So what happens if we don't make a deal?

Nothing good I assure you. Without a Persona you will fail to meet my Master's requirements to be the next wildcard, I'll be uncreated and your shadow will forever be lost to the Abyss of Lies causing you to live in perpetual ignorance of your true self.

Huh...
"That doesn't sound too bad."

"You're just running away you coward!"

I do need to note that being uncreated is in fact very bad for me. If it will further convince you I suspect if your Shadow is destroyed you will likely also lose all your memories of SAO as it is the embodiment of your Shadow.

"So... all I have to do is not make an agreement with my Shadow and I'll get to forget about SAO."

...technically? But that's not a good thing. Why would you want that? I very much do not want that.

Your Shadow seems to sense something and is visibly panicking.
"Uh... 40% I'll do 40% timeshare! That's a better deal for you, isn't it?"

A chance to live free from this crushing guilt. A chance to be Hiyori again and not Lux, Traitor of SAO.

"30/70! Final offer!"

This would be much easier if you would just accept your Shadow.

Your Shadow's hands are outstretched. She's... offering you a contract.

One with yourself.
Accept the deal with the devil— your devil. MAXWELL has promised you a way of getting revenge, and perhaps with that, a resolution.

Or... leave it all behind. SAO. Lux.
Become Hiyori again. Get your life back.

It's the first choice you've had in 2 years.

[ ] You're... not me. But you do exist. I accept your offer.

[ ] No... I've had enough. I just want my life back. I want to forget.

Last edited:
Um are we voting for Star I'm confused

It appears I have made things unnecessarily complicated.

The first vote was to determine the order in which the Fools would be introduced - the winner of that was indeed the STAR.

Once all the Fools have gathered before the stage, and my attendants have argued for their respective charges, a final vote will be held to determine which Fool will I will grant my blessing to.

As a reward for the STAR's initial victory, it shall receive a minor reward if chosen for the final vote. Let us say he shall start with more determination, to reflect the determination it takes to stay the course.

[X] I'm human. I have to be, I'm human I must be, I can prove it

[X] You're... not me. But you do exist. I accept your offer.

Breaking Kayfebe to say my intent was to split up the prologue with a vote that decided the order of the prologue chapters so I wasn't doing 5 prologue chapters all at once.

Uh, clearly not the best idea in hindsight. I'm trying too hard to be cute. The intent was to write a short story for each of the three character options to show that each character will have vastly different problems and that deal with different themes - basically I'm trying to write three hooks before jumping into the meat.

So explicitly don't worry about voting now, vote is closed, next chapter is FORTUNE followed by a planned around 5 day final vote period where I'll field questions to decide the final victor.

Well this is...interesting. I know nothing of SAO other than the basic premise of the first anime and the fact that Kirito is considered a very bland and unappealing protagonist. And also that people are really horny for Asuna. I guess I'll reserve judgement for now, but I'm leaning toward the Traitor when the final vote comes around for now because every instinct I have says not to go with any iteration of Kirito.

Anyway, good luck with this quest @afreaknamedpete, hope this doesn't run into the same problems SRW 0 had. 😇

Well then this quest is incredibly interesting. Of all the things to fuse I never thought these two would work so well together, this is really intriguing and I absolutely want to see where this goes. Watched and keep up the amazing work with the quest :)

Voting is open
Back