Perchance to Dream (Mass Effect / Commander)

6.1: Aggregation
6.1: Aggregation.

+++

"So the whole reason the Reapers were created was because a bunch of a cephalopods were too dumb to live and too powerful to die." Javik said, flatly.

"Pretty much." Marcus swirled his drink. "Thoroughly disappointing, isn't it?"

"Is there no end to this ineptitude?" Javik asked. "Does the universe truly have an endless supply of incompetence?"

"Stupidity remains a fact of life, it seems..."

+++

September 27, 2074/2449

+++

It had been a normal day. Marcus had not really been doing anything.

It had been. The normalcy vanishes as a presence hums through the back of his head.

That, by itself, is something he's used to. The Psi-Net links him with the rest of Humanity, and more often than not, there is a presence in the back of his head.

This one, however, is distinctly... odd. There's something that sets it apart from any of the others. A noise that they don't make, a structure that they don't have. It is...

Alien.

A group reaches out a moment later. He joins it. Most of Humanity is quick to follow, and together, they begin to track down the source.

The presence is echoing through the Psi-Net. It's not strong. It merely sticks out in comparison to all the other presences in the Psi-Net.

Something which certainly makes it easier to track it down. They follow the echoes to the source.

A mind.

They look at the mind. Small and young and full of potential like so many others, but marked apart by one single fact.

Not Human.

"Ah." They realize. "It finally happened."

This mind was Prothean. The first non-Human psychic in the galaxy.

After the Dreamer, of course.

"Took its sweet time, didn't it? It's been almost ten months." Some said.

"It makes sense." Others noted. "The population of Humans on Praak is quite low. The amount of psychic energy leaking into the environment is lower still. It would have taken quite some time for psyactivation density to be achieved. And then there's the fact that Prothean reproduction takes longer than it does for Humans."

"We'll have to keep track of it in the future." They decide. "This is the first time we'll be able to observe non-Human Psychics as they grow and develop."

They consider the mind, examining it closely.

"Not much to see at the moment." A few state. "A bit too young to really learn anything."

"Yes." Others agree."Although, it surprising that it connects to us so easily."

They take another look. The link to them, to the Psi-Net, is small. Weak.

But for a mind so young, that's not surprising. Even for Humans, it took some time for the link to solidify and strengthen.

Not Human, yet it reached out in a way that was so utterly similar. Instinctive, latching on to other minds. The barest hint of a bond that could appear.

"I don't think we should allow this." A few say.

"Why is that?"

"Our psychic link shapes us as we grow." They elaborate. "By this point, much of our culture is bound up into it. To stay connected to us with a link would shape them, too. But they are not Human. They are Prothean."

"Is that bad?"

"No." They say. "They are not lesser for it. They are not greater for it, either. But they are not Human. They are Prothean, and they should have the opportunity to be Prothean. A link to us would... complicate that."

"Diversity is good." Others agree. "And to be blunt, it reminds me a little too much of the Leviathans, otherwise. A galaxy with countless cultures turned entirely into us sounds... utterly dreadful."

They pause.

"Good point." They decide. "Let's not follow that example."

They are careful, as they reach out to the link the mind has formed with them. Young, instinctive flailing that had nevertheless brought this result forth.

They take the link, gently.

And then they cut it.

The bond is severed instantly, formless and harmless. The still-growing mind is left bereft of a connection to them, exactly as intended. They can still feel the mind, but it's a more distant feeling than the bond which links them all.

The job is done.

"Wait." A few say. "While they should not be one of us, that is no reason not to give a gift."

The rest consider the words, the intent behind them.

"The Dreamer gave that gift to us." Some say. "But that is no reason not to share."

"Acceptable."

They turn their attention inwards, beckoning forth the Dreamer's Gift. It rose easily, emerging from the depth of the psychic network at their call. It was a pattern, a thought and an idea packaged together alongside intent and power, one that hadn't changed in all the years they'd had it. A seeming impossibility, but when the Dreamer was involved...

The Gift came forwards, and they directed it at the Prothean mind.

Contact came, and then...

The Gift seemed to hesitate, the pattern shifting for a brief moment. It caught their attention immediately; this behaviour both completely unknown and unexpected.

The pattern shifted, and expanded, energy filling it that they could determine no source for.

And then, it split.

In an instant, the pattern divided into two, one exactly the same as the original, which promptly returned to the depths of the psychic network, but the other...

Changed.

They examined it closely, immediately noting the differences. It felt more... structured, orderly, than the original. It felt... distinctly Prothean, in a way that was hard to quantify and harder to express.

The new Gift went to the mind, seating itself inside of it. They watched as it worked, the structure and pattern merging, for a brief moment, with the Prothean mind, before retreating, leaving behind a smaller pattern of energy and intent. A Power relating to Space, though not one they could immediately identify beyond the general characteristics of it.

The moment its work was finished, the Gift went dormant, pulling back into the depths of the mind that now hosted it.

"Huh."

"..."

"So, the Dreamer saw this possibility. Intriguing."

"..."

"We should probably keep an eye on that."

So the first Prothean psychic is coming. I bet their psychometric talents are at least part of why this happened so easily. It always was a psychic power in most universes. Will the Asari be next for similar reasons? Their Melding strikes me as more than just mass shifting because of eezo.

"So the whole reason the Reapers were created was because a bunch of a cephalopods were too dumb to live and too powerful to die." Javik said, flatly.

"Pretty much." Marcus swirled his drink. "Thoroughly disappointing, isn't it?"

"Is there no end to this ineptitude?" Javik asked. "Does the universe truly have an endless supply of incompetence?"
Finally Javik has achieved ultimate enlightenment and total understanding of the fundamental nature of reality and existence itself.

Does the universe have an endless supply of incompetence? Yes.

Stupidity is the only thing that we know for certain is absolutely, without a doubt, completely and totally infinite in scope. It has no limits, obeys no boundaries, respects no laws. No matter how far idiocy has gone, it can always go further.

Always.

This is the one single rule that has no exceptions. None. Ever.

So the first Prothean psychic is coming. I bet their psychometric talents are at least part of why this happened so easily. It always was a psychic power in most universes. Will the Asari be next for similar reasons? Their Melding strikes me as more than just mass shifting because of eezo.
The Asari Melding ability is the Prothean psychometric ability, just much cruder, more limited and corrupted by generations of 'wild' evolution; Javik outright says so during ME3. The Protheans genetically engineered the ability into the Asari (along with a bunch of other things, such as their innate biotics) so as to give them advantages to leverage as a potential leadership caste against the Reapers in the next Cycle, which Javik feels that they squandered with their incompetence.

The Asari are not a natural species; they were heavily altered and specifically designed and genetically engineered by the Protheans to conquer the galaxy in their stead, hence their many highly improbable biological traits.

Last edited:
Charles R Darwin liked that.
Also, you can see humanity's influence on him by him using "primitive" words like "bunch" and "dumb". That and an understatement of the eons.

Did you just give cosmic power to a race that in a previous cycle was quite tyrannical?
Let's hope this new generation is a bit more peaceful.

Ooookaay... the comparison to Leviathans psy network and its encompassing nature is more close then i would prefer.

Now should we inform Javik or let him realize on its own?

That kid is about to be the first superprotean.

Edit: and the fact that they are giving a 'dreamer' never occured to them as something tha tis probably negative.

At this rate they (sentients of the galaxy) are going to actively worship the dreamer.

Last edited:
Did you just give cosmic power to a race that in a previous cycle was quite tyrannical?
Let's hope this new generation is a bit more peaceful.

Kid: "So for billions of years, the galaxy was enslaved over and over again by moronic squid."
Javik: "More or less."
Kid: "Death to slavery and slavers then."
Javik: "Well our race used to..."
Kid: "Those ones are dead now."
Javik: "Well given the de facto God of our galaxy wants to resurrect the species lost, your attitude is reassuring for future co-existence with them..."

I wonder if this implicates Javik got laid and that's why he's been so... relatively... laidback for the past few updates.

I wonder if this implicates Javik got laid and that's why he's been so... relatively... laidback for the past few updates.
That or he's cracked open his stash of booze and is constantly sipping at a hip flask. I know that if I were in his shoes, I'd be going 'Not nearly drunk enough for this shit' every few minutes. I wonder how much kick fifty thousand year old whisky has?

+++

March 19, 2079/2454

+++

"If the Batarian Hegemony cannot solve the problem of 'rogue pirates' that continue to stream from its space, then it has no right to complain when the problem is solved for it." Javik stated, his four eyes glaring at the Batarian ambassador. "After all, they are 'rogue pirates', as you have so keenly impressed. Whether or not the ships originally belonged to the Batarian Hegemony is irrelevant to the matter."

"An operation was planned to recapture the stolen ships!" The Batarian ambassador protested. "Such action has needlessly destroyed Hegemony property!"

"And your complaints needlessly waste my time." Javik said. "I do not care what you or your impotent, failing government thinks about 'pirates'."

Marcus sipped at his drink. Salvilus watched with poorly disguised glee. Corha was as inscrutable as ever, while Tevos was eating her meal.

"There will be consequences for this disrespect!" The ambassador sneered, before storming to the door.

"Will I have to keep listening to you?" Javik called.

The ambassador slammed the door open with a bit more force than was really necessary. Around the room, the guards tensed, before Tevos waved a hand and they relaxed.

"You should stop antagonizing him." Tevos said, though her voice was dull and flat, spoken more for rote habit than any actual belief in the words.

"No." Javik immediately denied. "If I stop, the Hegemony might get the idea that acting like a bully will get them anything they want."

Tevos sighed, knowing what was about to come.

"Oh wait." He turned. "That's what you did. You let that group of useless failures dictate you-"

A noise interrupted him.

Javik turned to Marcus. "You didn't even have a straw."

"Maybe." Marcus shrugged, putting his drink back down. "But, you know, I needed a quick and easy way to stop you from going on that rant for the fifth time."

"Do you remember when the Citadel Council was the height of respect and dignity?" Tevos asked, idly, as she took another bite. "That was a good time."

"It sounds dreadfully boring." Marcus waved a waiter over. "Politics without any fun to break the monotony. And you wanted to do it for a few hundred years?" He made a show of shivering.

"It was esteemed." Tevos continued, quietly. "The highest regard..."

"Pointless." Javik declared.

Marcus sighed. "Yes, yes, Prothean superiority, blah blah blah, stupid primitive ways, blah blah blah."

"Over sixteen thousands years of-"

"Age does not imply good decisions." Marcus interrupted, bored. "Example A; Leviathans."

Javik made a sound like a growl, though it was a little too low for that.

"It was once so grand." Tevos continued lamenting. "Now look at us."

"I don't know what you are on about." Salvilus commented. "The last five years have been quite positive, for me."

"Myself as well." Corha noted.

"And meanwhile, I'm surrounded by vultures and fools." Tevos straightened up, eyes taking on a glint of steel. "None of whom realize just how difficult the balancing act we do is." Her eyes shifted to Javik. "Which you are not making any easier."

"Cut the Batarians loose, and you will find your life much easier." He scoffed. "I do not know why you insist on allowing that leech to continue growing fatter."

"Do you honestly believe that I am unaware of what you have arranged for?" Tevos raised an eyebrow. "Your 'pirate'-hunting exercises are making them nervous."

"They have no reason to be nervous." Salvilus stated. "After all, they are just 'pirates'. If the Hegemony has a problem with it, then they should have submitted the proper bureaucratic process to raise it to attention."

"They didn't. And, since the 'pirates' are not in Batarian space, they have no ground to stand on." Marcus noted.

"Though that certainly does not stop them from complaining." Corha's mouth briefly twitched into a frown.

"And what about the ships you lose in the process?" Tevos asked.

"Any design that cannot fight off mere 'pirates' is evidently insufficient for combat with the Reapers." Javik claimed. "And the data gained in their battles against the 'pirates' is useful, regardless of whether or not a ship is destroyed. Pirates help the entire galaxy when we obliterate them."

"How magnanimous." Marcus said.

"When it comes to pirates, I certainly won't be able to find it in myself to feel sorry for them." Salvilus' voice pitched a little lower.

"Indeed." Corha agreed.

"And come the inevitable consequence?" Tevos asked. "You realize that this act will inspire the powers of the Terminus Systems to start consolidating, don't you?"

"What of it?" Javik scoffed again. "Minor, meagre powers in the only part of the galaxy that lacks easy access to all the Star Rails that Humanity is keen to litter everywhere else. No resources to pose a threat, no unity to align them when the strongest are destroyed, and no ability to match the mobility any of us can now enjoy. They are not a problem. They are a solution waiting to happen."

"He's right." Salvilus nodded. "The situation has changed. There hasn't been a successful pirate attack in four years, now. We have too much mobility available."

"That, and Human ships have a habit of mysteriously materializing in the path of such fleets." Corha briefly smiled.

"It's an incredible coincidence." Marcus smiled.

The other four looked at him.

"Twice is coincidence." Javik said. "Thirty seven times is not."

"Definitely a coincidence." Marcus ignored him.

"And the fact that thirty eight percent of all slaves in the Terminus System mysteriously made their way back to Citadel Space, with another fifty nine percent vanishing outright?" Corha asked.

"Well, that's simply a good bit of fortune." Marcus' smile didn't change. "Though, if anybody had actually been responsible for such a thing, they should be thanked for doing such a good deed."

"How magnanimous." Javik echoed, his voice flat.

Marcus chuckled.

"By the way." He leaned back, grabbing a bottle and pouring himself a new glass. "Did you hear? A Quarian made his way back Rannoch. I guess that info leak a few years back finally led to something happening..."

I see Javik is getting in on the trolling a bit, though his is more the "under the bridge, vicious" kind. Marcus is still king though. Tevos is exhausted with being both the target of and a witness to their antics!

Last edited:
The Turians are happy because 'pirates' are exploding, the Salarians are happy because SCIENCE! is happening, Javik is happy because he's getting to insult and blow up a species that very much deserves to be insulted and blown up, Humanity is happy through sheer unrelated coincidence.

Everyone is happy except Tevos, who is just salty because things have changed and she doesn't like change because she is old and set in her ways. No surprises there given the average Asari lifespan; if they didn't have their cheat beacon the entire species would likely have stagnated entirely and never gotten off their planet.

Last edited:
The Turians are happy because 'pirates' are exploding, the Salarians are happy because SCIENCE! is happening, Javik is happy because he's getting to insult and blow up a species that very much deserves to be insulted and blown up, Humanity is happy through sheer unrelated coincidence.

Everyone is happy except Tevos, who is just salty because things have changed and she doesn't like change because she is old and set in her ways. No surprises there given the average Asari lifespan; if they didn't have their cheat beacon the entire species would likely have stagnated entirely and never gotten off their planet.
Honestly the Asari are an interesting idea for a race because they are uniquely able to fragment as a society without losing their existence as a distinct thing. Think about it - what is stopping Asari from melding with Turian society completely and just... going native. They can breed with the native population and more or less become culturally just funny looking biotically gifted Turians.

I think the cheat vault is what is holding them together as a society rather than fragmenting into the various races who they interact with.

Honestly the Asari are an interesting idea for a race because they are uniquely able to fragment as a society without losing their existence as a distinct thing. Think about it - what is stopping Asari from melding with Turian society completely and just... going native. They can breed with the native population and more or less become culturally just funny looking biotically gifted Turians.

I think the cheat vault is what is holding them together as a society rather than fragmenting into the various races who they interact with.
Ehh, the lifespan holds them apart; it is difficult to 'go native' when you are guaranteed to outlive your entire non-Asari 'family' while still in what counts as the 'teenager' equivalent development phase. Ultimately Asari can only really form meaningful long-term relationships with other Asari, as their thousand+ year lifespans and multi-century 'phases' means that any non-Asari they form a relationship with will die long before they do.

Like, the average lifespan for non-Asari species is around ~100 or so years, substantially less for Salarians, I think Elcor live longer, but that's around 10% of the average Asari lifespan. My cat is expected to live a larger proportionate amount of my lifespan than the average non-Asari, 10% of lifespan is nothing. Imagine trying to form meaningful relationships with people that have an average life expectancy of 10 years, who reach adulthood slightly before 2 years and are 'old' by ~6 - 7 years. It's not impossible sure, but you would probably never be able to really fit in with them, and you'd likely find yourself getting tired from all the death and just drifting away towards others of your own kind who you could reasonably expect to still be around next decade.

The biggest thing separating the Asari from everyone else isn't their reproduction; it's their ridiculous lifespan. To the Asari, everyone else are like mayflies.

e: Except the Krogan, which certain individuals (Okeer, Drack) would indicate that they either have an even longer lifespan, or more likely do not meaningfully age at all. However due to their nature Krogan tend to get dead from decidedly unnatural causes after a few centuries anyway, so...

Last edited:
I'm having a lot of fun reading this as well as catching up with the other story. I'd be amused whenever The Dreamer deigns to tell its tale. I can see the minds exploding even now.

e: Except the Krogan, which certain individuals (Okeer, Drack) would indicate that they either have an even longer lifespan, or more likely do not meaningfully age at all. However due to their nature Krogan tend to get dead from decidedly unnatural causes after a few centuries anyway, so...
The Krogan are really hard to kill. Something as pansy ass as "old age" isn't going to kill them. Most poisons and diseases won't work either. The Genophage was specifically designed to work on Krogans. Even shooting a Krogan is unlikely to work, due to their extremely tough skin, potent regeneration, and redundant everything. I mean, Krogan have redundant TESTICLES. That is why they have a "quad" instead of a "pair".

The Krogan are really hard to kill. Something as pansy ass as "old age" isn't going to kill them. Most poisons and diseases won't work either. The Genophage was specifically designed to work on Krogans. Even shooting a Krogan is unlikely to work, due to their extremely tough skin, potent regeneration, and redundant everything. I mean, Krogan have redundant TESTICLES. That is why they have a "quad" instead of a "pair".
Krogan have redundant everything; they were a prey species before developing technology and their survival strategy was basically 'survive getting a chunk bitten out of me by a predator and escape while said predator is chowing down on the chunk of Krogan it just acquired, then regenerate the lost chunk before the next predator comes around for a bite to eat.'

Note that their regeneration and biological redundancy was so effective that this lunatic survival strategy actually worked, which explains why Krogan are fucking impossible to kill without resorting to anti-vehicle munitions.

Krogan have redundant everything; they were a prey species before developing technology and their survival strategy was basically 'survive getting a chunk bitten out of me by a predator and escape while said predator is chowing down on the chunk of Krogan it just acquired, then regenerate the lost chunk before the next predator comes around for a bite to eat.'

Note that their regeneration and biological redundancy is so effective that this lunatic survival strategy actually worked, which explains why Krogan are fucking impossible to kill without resorting to anti-vehicle munitions.
The fact that the KROGAN were a prey species really puts a shine on how deadly their homeworld was in its prime. Then again, it is the HOME WORLD OF THE THRESHER MAWS. I mean, the only other species confirmed to be a Prey species is the Elcor, and they are a Herd Species.

A council meeting with limited air quotes and no discarding of claims?
A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.
Ah, yes, your :turian:Civil Council Meetings:turian:. We have dismissed these claims.

Last edited:
The fact that the KROGAN were a prey species really puts a shine on how deadly their homeworld was in its prime. Then again, it is the HOME WORLD OF THE THRESHER MAWS. I mean, the only other species confirmed to be a Prey species is the Elcor, and they are a Herd Species.
The other well known species that's native to Tuchanka is the Varren. That's right, everyone's favorite fishdog originated on Tuchanka, incidentally they were a predator species there, and one of the primary species that ate Krogan before the invention of tools.

Last edited:
Except the Krogan, which certain individuals (Okeer, Drack) would indicate that they either have an even longer lifespan, or more likely do not meaningfully age at all. However due to their nature Krogan tend to get dead from decidedly unnatural causes after a few centuries anyway, so...
Drack is dying of old age though, or at least what passes for it among Krogan. It seems that, like Earth species that regenerate, you eventually start regenerating wrong, as errors start piling up. I figure that, like salt water crocodiles, Krogan don't truly have an 'old age', instead they tend to get cancer in an awkward spot and die from that. With advancements in medicine, that would likely cease to be an issue, so the only thing they have left to kill them is... well, misadventure. And so you get Krogan like Drack looking for that last big fight that'll actually do them in.

Interestingly, regeneration actually increases your chances of getting cancer by a significant fraction. So it is very likely that Krogan, without worrying about predators and other Krogan doing them in, had an average lifespan comparable to a human before medicine had advanced enough to deal with cancer.

Last edited:
Drack is dying of old age though, or at least what passes for it among Krogan. It seems that, like Earth species that regenerate, you eventually start regenerating wrong, as errors start piling up. I figure that, like salt water crocodiles, Krogan don't truly have an 'old age', instead they tend to get cancer in an awkward spot and die from that. With advancements in medicine, that would likely cease to be an issue, so the only thing they have left to kill them is... well, misadventure. And so you get Krogan like Drack looking for that last big fight that'll actually do them in.

Interestingly, regeneration actually increases your chances of getting cancer by a significant fraction. So it is very likely that Krogan, without worrying about predators and other Krogan doing them in, had an average lifespan comparable to a human before medicine had advanced enough to deal with cancer.
Actually, when Drack and Lexi have their conversation about Drack dying, they talk like it's his ancient cybernetics that are killing him, not his biological parts. He suffered from continual rejection issues when he first got the prosthetics, and it is implied that those issues were never really solved so much as suppressed, resulting in gradual long-term damage to his body as it fought the cybernetics.

This is further supported by the existence of Wrex and Okeer, both of whom showed no signs of old age despite being of similar age or older than Drack, what was the difference between them? Cybernetics. Drack's cybernetics are over a thousand years old thanks to the intergalactic trip, is it any wonder that they're falling apart and causing problems?

In before Krogan are like lobsters. They are biologically immortal unless something kills them. It makes sense. With regeneration that high they likely have pretty significant protections against cancer and can survive extremely aggressive anti-cancer treatments.

Back