Pathfinder Campaign: Here, There Be Dragons.

Pronouns
They/Them/Comrade
So I'm gonna run a pathfinder campaign where we all play as dragons. Will this be balanced? Haha no. But hopefully it will be awesome.

To play, just post in the thread and then try and put together a sheet in a day or two.

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
Pathfinder. See the house rules bit for more.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
We be dragons, yo!

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
Up to seven players. Take note that I want you to be able to post every day or two.

4. What's the gaming medium (SV, chat, e-mail etc.)?
SV

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
Starting Level 7, probably with 8 hit dice, as you get your base dragon racial hit dice, and then ad additional number of class levels gestalted with dragon racial hit dice equal to 7 minus your dragons base CR. regardless, you count as level 7 for experience purposes.

6.How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
Standard.

7.Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
All classes will be considered, and so are most prestige classes. Homebrew is on a case by case basis.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
We be dragons, yo! Any true dragon, including outer dragons and DSP's psidragons.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
25 point buy using Pathfinder point buy rules, or 4d6 drop lowest x6 arrange as desired, or 4d6 drop lowest x12 drop 6 lowest of those, no rearranging. HP are max first level, then either roll or take average. If you're rolling, please use the forum roller.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
Yes, don't be evil without an excuse for working with the rest of the party.

11.Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
No multiclass penalties.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
Rolls should be done with the forum dice roller.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
All Paizo and Dreamscarred Press PF material is allowed. We're using the rules to eliminate Feat Taxes.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
Yes, but not much. Just a cursory intro and description.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
Depends on how you want to approach your problems. Careful plotting, or just blow everything up? It's up to you.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
Any, though subject to veto. Case by case basis.

Character Creation: First, pick your variety of dragon, any true dragon up to CR 7, including outer dragons and Dreamscarreds psidragons, then generate your attributes. You can pick any of three methods: 25 point buy, 4d6 drop lowest x6 arrange as desired, or 4d6 drop lowest x12 drop 6 lowest of those, no rearranging. Your racial ability mods are equal to your dragon ability scores -10, I.E. a 15 for your dragon base gives you a +5. Then give yourself your racial abilities for a wyrmling dragon of your type and your base racial hit dice, and then give yourself a number of levels equal to 7 - your dragons base CR in classes of your choice gestalted with dragon racial hit dice. Essentially, you have a level adjustment equal to your CR. Racial hit dice are not counted for the purpose of determining XP requirements, though they are counted for the purpose of getting feats and ability score adjustments. If this gives you enough hit dice to progress in dragon age, go ahead and do so. When picking out feats, keep in mind that the Feat Tax rules are in effect, so you get the benefits of a lot of them for free. You can pick any class from paizo or dreamscarred press for pathfinder, or any class from elsewhere with my permission. This includes prestige classes, so long as you meet the requirements. If you want to modify a class or make up a feat, go ahead and ask, and I'll consider it.

So for example, if I want to make a Red Dragon, first I get my base stats through either of three methods outlined above. Let's say I go with the third one, and roll 17, 12, 9, 18, 12, 4, 14, 13, 11, 10, 10, 9. I drop the lowest six of these, giving me 17, 12, 18, 12, 14, 13. Then I apply my red dragon racial adjustments to these, giving me 17 +7, or 24 Strength (The 17 I rolled above, plus an additional 7, because the red dragon base has 17 strength and 17 -10 is +7), 16 Dexterity, 23 Constitution, 12 intelligence, 15 Wisdom, and 13 Charisma. Then I add my racial hit dice, 7 of them for a red dragon, and add my natural armor bonus, natural attacks, breath weapon, dragon specials for being a wyrmling, skill ranks, feats, an ability adjustment that I immediately apply to constitution, etc. Next I look and see that the red dragon has a CR of 6, which means I can get one level (7 - 6 =1) of a class of my choice gestalted with dragon. I look at my stats and go "Wow, that looks like a fighter!", (I used the third option for rolling stats, so I can't rearrange them) so I add a level of dragon racial hit dice gestalted with a level of fighter. Thus, for this level I get the best of both dragon and fighter: a D12 hit die, as for dragon, +1 to my will and reflex saves, as for an 8th level of dragon, +2 to my fortitude save, for a first level fighter, +1 to my BAB as for both of them, 6+int skill ranks, as for dragon, all my dragon class features, (none, unless that were enough to take me up an age category, (For reference, every two levels should take you up an age category) in which case I'd improve my size and other statistics accordingly), all my first level fighter class features, in this case just a bonus feat and proficiencies, and an ability score adjustment, for reaching having 8 total hit dice. You all start in cages with devils gloating over you, so nobody gets to start with any items. You'll have ample opportunities to pick them up later, however.

You can have any personality you want, even an evil one, so long as you make sure you can work with a group.

As for backstory, you're a young dragon who's been kidnapped by devils. Beyond that, you can make up whatever you like, so long as it's reasonable and not "I rule an intergalactic empire and have thousands of loyal and devoted retainers." or whatever.

If you have any questions or need any help creating a character, go ahead and ask.

IC Thread

Roll20

Character List:

Vadim
Gogarthan
Agrablanag
Shard
Otilpesuk
Verath
Isilian
Lu-Hsia Wu-Len

Last edited:
What, you want to stack the Half-Dragon Template on top of the dragon race? That's a bit much. If you want to fuse two different dragon races, I could go for that.
Sure, it's a bit much, but it's also the easiest way to give stats to a, for example, Pink Dragon.

...actually, would a half-White Red Dragon even be pink, or would it wind up with candy cane stripes?

Last edited:
Sure, it's a bit much, but it's also the easiest way to give stats to a, for example, Pink Dragon.

...actually, would a half-White Red Dragon even be pink, or would it wind up with candy cane stripes?

Hmm. You know what, sure. Go for it. You can indeed be a half dragon dragon. Enjoy your hybrid vigor.

As for color, a half dragon would probably end up patchy.

Last edited:
So, I've decided to be a Magma Dragon. Not sure yet what class levels I'll be taking...

So, 11, 13, 16, 17, 15, 13
Thozmp threw 4 6-faced dice. Reason: First stat Total: 13
2 2 6 6 2 2 3 3
Thozmp threw 4 6-faced dice. Reason: Second stat Total: 14
1 1 6 6 3 3 4 4
Thozmp threw 4 6-faced dice. Reason: Third stat Total: 18
2 2 5 5 6 6 5 5
Thozmp threw 4 6-faced dice. Reason: Fourth stat Total: 19
5 5 6 6 6 6 2 2
Thozmp threw 4 6-faced dice. Reason: Fifth stat Total: 18
3 3 6 6 3 3 6 6
Thozmp threw 4 6-faced dice. Reason: Sixth stat Total: 15
3 3 6 6 2 2 4 4
Thozmp threw 1 12-faced dice. Reason: HP level 2 Total: 4
4 4
Thozmp threw 1 12-faced dice. Reason: HP level 3 Total: 3
3 3
Thozmp threw 5 12-faced dice. Reason: HP Total: 46
9 9 10 10 7 7 10 10 10 10

Last edited:
I've encountered a problem. I wish to be a Silver dragon, which by your rules and the stats,places me as a Wyrmling (CR 6). I have no problem with that, in and of itself, but that places me in the age range 0-5, which makes me ineligible for all PC classes. Help?

So I'm gonna run a pathfinder campaign where we all play as dragons. Will this be balanced? Haha no. But hopefully it will be awesome and fun enough. I have a google doc here, where I'll add pertinent information, so that it can be found easily.

To play, just post in the thread and then try and put together a sheet in a day or two.

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
Pathfinder. See the house rules bit for more.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
We be dragons, yo!

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
Up to seven players. Take note that I want you to be able to post every day or two.

4. What's the gaming medium (SV, chat, e-mail etc.)?
SV

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
Starting Level 7, probably with 8 hit dice, as you get your base dragon racial hit dice, and then ad additional number of class levels gestalted with dragon racial hit dice equal to 7 minus your dragons base CR. regardless, you count as level 7 for experience purposes.

6.How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
Standard.

7.Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
All classes will be considered, and so are most prestige classes. Homebrew is on a case by case basis.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
We be dragons, yo! Any true dragon, including outer dragons and DSP's psidragons.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
25 point buy using Pathfinder point buy rules, or 4d6 drop lowest x6 arrange as desired, or 4d6 drop lowest x12 drop 6 lowest of those, no rearranging. HP are max first level, then either roll or take average. If you're rolling, please use the forum roller.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
Yes, don't be evil without an excuse for working with the rest of the party.

11.Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
No multiclass penalties.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
Rolls should be done with the forum dice roller.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
All Paizo and Dreamscarred Press PF material is allowed.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
Yes, but not much. Just a cursory intro and description.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
Depends on how you want to approach your problems. Careful plotting, or just blow everything up? It's up to you.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
Any, though subject to veto. Case by case basis.

Character Creation: First, pick your variety of dragon, any true dragon up to CR 7, including outer dragons and Dreamscarreds psidragons, then generate your attributes. You can pick any of three methods: 25 point buy, 4d6 drop lowest x6 arrange as desired, or 4d6 drop lowest x12 drop 6 lowest of those, no rearranging. Your racial ability mods are equal to your dragon ability scores -10, I.E. a 15 for your dragon base gives you a +5. Then give yourself your racial abilities for a wyrmling dragon of your type and your base racial hit dice, and then give yourself a number of levels equal to 7 - your dragons base CR in classes of your choice gestalted with dragon racial hit dice. Essentially, you have a level adjustment equal to your CR. Racial hit dice are not counted for the purpose of determining XP requirements, though they are counted for the purpose of getting feats and ability score adjustments. If this gives you enough hit dice to progress in dragon age, go ahead and do so. When picking out feats, keep in mind that the Feat Tax rules are in effect, so you get the benefits of a lot of them for free. You can pick any class from paizo or dreamscarred press for pathfinder, or any class from elsewhere with my permission. This includes prestige classes, so long as you meet the requirements. If you want to modify a class or make up a feat, go ahead and ask, and I'll consider it.

So for example, if I want to make a Red Dragon, first I get my base stats through either of three methods outlined above. Let's say I go with the third one, and roll 17, 12, 9, 18, 12, 4, 14, 13, 11, 10, 10, 9. I drop the lowest six of these, giving me 17, 12, 18, 12, 14, 13. Then I apply my red dragon racial adjustments to these, giving me 17 +7, or 24 Strength (The 17 I rolled above, plus an additional 7, because the red dragon base has 17 strength and 17 -10 is +7), 16 Dexterity, 23 Constitution, 12 intelligence, 15 Wisdom, and 13 Charisma. Then I add my racial hit dice, 7 of them for a red dragon, and add my natural armor bonus, natural attacks, breath weapon, dragon specials for being a wyrmling, skill ranks, feats, an ability adjustment that I immediately apply to constitution, etc. Next I look and see that the red dragon has a CR of 6, which means I can get one level (7 - 6 =1) of a class of my choice gestalted with dragon. I look at my stats and go "Wow, that looks like a fighter!", (I used the third option for rolling stats, so I can't rearrange them) so I add a level of dragon racial hit dice gestalted with a level of fighter. Thus, for this level I get the best of both dragon and fighter: a D12 hit die, as for dragon, +1 to my will and reflex saves, as for an 8th level of dragon, +2 to my fortitude save, for a first level fighter, +1 to my BAB as for both of them, 6+int skill ranks, as for dragon, all my dragon class features, (none, unless that were enough to take me up an age category, (For reference, every two levels should take you up an age category) in which case I'd improve my size and other statistics accordingly), all my first level fighter class features, in this case just a bonus feat and proficiencies, and an ability score adjustment, for reaching having 8 total hit dice. You all start in cages with devils gloating over you, so nobody gets to start with any items. You'll have ample opportunities to pick them up later, however.

You can have any personality you want, even an evil one, so long as you make sure you can work with a group.

As for backstory, you're a young dragon who's been kidnapped by devils. Beyond that, you can make up whatever you like, so long as it's reasonable and not "I rule an intergalactic empire and have thousands of loyal and devoted retainers." or whatever.

If you have any questions or need any help creating a character, go ahead and ask.
Are the orientals allowed?
And is this from golarion- or somewhere in the multiverse?

I've encountered a problem. I wish to be a Silver dragon, which by your rules and the stats,places me as a Wyrmling (CR 6). I have no problem with that, in and of itself, but that places me in the age range 0-5, which makes me ineligible for all PC classes. Help?

You can be any base class with no restrictions. We'll say that dragons have genetic memories - not much, but enough to give you training in a class or two of your choice.

Are the orientals allowed?
And is this from golarion- or somewhere in the multiverse?

Orientals should be fine, but gimme a reference to your specific dragon type anyway.

This will mainly be taking place on Golarion and related planes. You can play any dragon that could reasonably have been near Golarion, though.

You can be any base class with no restrictions. We'll say that dragons have genetic memories - not much, but enough to give you training in a class or two of your choice.

Orientals should be fine, but gimme a reference to your specific dragon type anyway.

This will mainly be taking place on Golarion and related planes. You can play any dragon that could reasonably have been near Golarion, though.
Give me a moment.
Just asking .thought of a minor noblewoman of an draconic ruling dynasty in a place where a pseudo-chinese empire is ruled by dragons , but..i will see.
And the polymorph is rather nlate .hmph.
Any of gaining it one age cat earlier?

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember that your dragon isn't going to be older than young, unless you have a base CR of 1.

Except for that, Sky imperial dragon.
Shall i roll?

Go for it. If you like, you can spend a feat on Prodigal Shapechanger. Gives you one use of Change shape immediately, instead of forcing you to wait until you've grown. When you get the ability naturally, you'll have an extra use.

Last edited:
Go for it. If you like, you can spend a feat on Prodigal Shapechanger. Gives you one use of Change shape immediately, instead of forcing you to wait until you've grown. When you get the ability naturally, you'll have an extra use.
Taken!

soo
Sailor Midgard threw 4 6-faced dice. Total: 11
1 1 1 1 4 4 5 5
Sailor Midgard threw 4 6-faced dice. Total: 10
6 6 2 2 1 1 1 1
Sailor Midgard threw 4 6-faced dice. Total: 16
6 6 3 3 4 4 3 3
Sailor Midgard threw 4 6-faced dice. Total: 19
4 4 6 6 6 6 3 3
Sailor Midgard threw 4 6-faced dice. Total: 13
1 1 5 5 3 3 4 4
Sailor Midgard threw 4 6-faced dice. Total: 16
6 6 5 5 2 2 3 3
Sailor Midgard threw 4 6-faced dice. Total: 17
3 3 4 4 5 5 5 5

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: Are the first Xd12 racial hit die maximized like the first class level, or do we roll for that as well?

Alright, the Gold/Silver hybrid of my dreams is sadly out of reach, since a wyrmling of that combination is either CR 8 or 9.

Bleh.

Alright, second choice is pretty much anything with Change Shape, which means Underworld, Bronze, Gold, or Silver.

Silver's being done, Underworld is evil, and Gold doesn't give me any CR left for class levels, so Bronze it is!

Edit: Chosen ability score generation method:
4d6 drop lowest x12 drop 6 lowest of those, no rearranging

Edit^2: Base stats (unmodified by draconic race): 14, 13, 15, 14, 15, 15
DarthThrawn threw 2 4-faced dice. Reason: stat generation Total: 6
2 2 4 4
DarthThrawn threw 4 6-faced dice. Reason: stat generation Total: 11
1 1 4 4 3 3 3 3
DarthThrawn threw 4 6-faced dice. Reason: stat generation Total: 14
2 2 6 6 4 4 2 2
DarthThrawn threw 4 6-faced dice. Reason: stat generation Total: 13
4 4 3 3 1 1 5 5
DarthThrawn threw 4 6-faced dice. Reason: stat generation Total: 15
6 6 1 1 6 6 2 2
1 1 4 4 5 5 4 4
DarthThrawn threw 4 6-faced dice. Reason: stat generation Total: 17
3 3 6 6 6 6 2 2
DarthThrawn threw 4 6-faced dice. Reason: stat generation Total: 11
3 3 2 2 5 5 1 1
DarthThrawn threw 4 6-faced dice. Reason: stat generation Total: 15
2 2 6 6 1 1 6 6
DarthThrawn threw 4 6-faced dice. Reason: stat generation Total: 18
4 4 3 3 5 5 6 6
DarthThrawn threw 4 6-faced dice. Reason: stat generation Total: 17
4 4 6 6 5 5 2 2
4 4 3 3 4 4 3 3
DarthThrawn threw 4 6-faced dice. Reason: stat generation Total: 13
3 3 4 4 4 4 2 2

Last edited:
Question: Are the first Xd12 racial hit die maximized like the first class level, or do we roll for that as well?

It's maxed.

Alright, the Gold/Silver hybrid of my dreams is sadly out of reach, since a wyrmling of that combination is either CR 8 or 9.

Bleh.

Alright, second choice is pretty much anything with Change Shape, which means Underworld, Bronze, Gold, or Silver.

Silver's being done, Underworld is evil, and Gold doesn't give me any CR left for class levels, so Bronze it is!

If you want me to just write up a hybrid silver/gold, I can do that. It won't have stats any higher than a silver or gold, the way it would if you took the half dragon template, but it'll have a few boosts.

Mistakenly rolled seven drop last?

Yup.

Did you make this up?

Yup. :p

I'm pretty sure I said somewhere in that first post that if you wanted me to make up a feat for you I could, though it might've gotten left out or lost in the jumble.

Edit: I said it at the end of the first paragraph of character creation.

Last edited:
Okay, another question: Should we go up an age category, do the stat bonuses we get also change? If Strength changed from 13 to 17 does the bonus we get change from +3 to +7, and if the Dex dropped from 16 to 14 does the bonus change from +6 to +4?

Back