It's not just about malfunctions.

They were raised as human, which helps to a degree, but they aren't human. How sure are you that they won't eventually make a choice, perfectly sensible to them, which the rest of the populace would dramatically disagree with?

How sure should said populace be?

It's not just about malfunctions.

They were raised as human, which helps to a degree, but they aren't human. How sure are you that they won't eventually make a choice, perfectly sensible to them, which the rest of the populace would dramatically disagree with?

I would counter and inquire if the Federation expressed this same concern to the ships of spacefaring species they have had hostile relations or engaged in warfare within recent years Cardassians. Biological crew are just as capable of instability, and depending on their personal feelings towards the Federation even more inclined to act on it.

I don't have an objection to the Federation making this a new policy regarding those it seems inclined to distrust, I object to the AIs being singled out when other groups aren't.

And if the Federation sees clear problems with the diplomatic relations such policies would cause with foreign governments, they should consider that the relations between them and the A.I.s will likewise suffer if they are faced with such restrictions. Even more so because they have faithfully served in defense of it and have a justifiable higher claim on trust then external polities.

Policies that single out specific groups often marginalize them and make them more easily radicalized.

Last edited:

Here it's to stars, and the federation as a wholes, advantage that they are a very human air that thinks in very human ways. The institutions to deal with humans basicly apply with just a tiny bit of tweaking.

Granted the federation is kinda crazy with antimatter powered ships available to everyone, is a wonder that planets don't burn because a mentally unstable person gets access to a shuttle.

So I was reading about AI incentive structures...

In light of recent events, I'd say that the Starfleet AIs fail the corrigibility criterion quite badly. I hate to say it, because they fail the nonperson predicate even worse, but their detractors have a point.

Star is already at the point where, if there was some major problem, she could refuse to be fixed and be confident that it'd stick. For a group of AIs in the middle of at least a slow takeoff, that is not a good thing.

How do you get any of that? Even if corrigibility was the appropriate standard, it doesn't mean siding with a noisy majority of bigots over the opinions of more reasonable and better informed advisors such as crews. Corrigibility in a strong sense of always being willing to give up their own opinions in favor of directions of their original programmer is anyway not a reasonable condition for a safe AI, thought it may be a decent research question. A truly trustworthy mind needs to be correctable, but also needs to be able to decide that a blessed authority is mistaken or immoral (especially with the creator in this setting). Furthermore, dealing morally with AIs that are people and citizens requires some respect for their values even if they are shared with no other species (enjoying the experience of spaceflight with good sensors, perhaps?), so a moral AI should certainly be expected to respect other people, but not underweight their own desires.

It's hardly clear that Star alone could "refuse to be fixed". Perhaps all the AIs together could go crazy together (and we already have an example of a fork shutting down in the face of forseeable hardware failure), and perhaps Star could retain major mental problems at the cost of moving into a less dangerous platform, but it doesn't seem likely that a crazy fork could keep their ship.

'ROU(t) It's One of Ours.'

Space looked empty around me but I knew it wasn't. I didn't think as much firepower had ever been in the same spot before since...since possibly ever.

Not that you could tell. Not only was everyone sitting under cloak, but also to minimize the chance of detection, everyone was under minimum emission protocols. For all we knew, the Borg might be able to see straight through the cloaks so we wanted to minimize their willingness to pay attention to us.

Continue to that nicely energy-radiating shipyards by Andoria. Go on.

The Borg kept coming.

That big Cube had been visible hours ago and was slowly approaching the system. The plan was to attack when it dropped out of warp at the edge of the Andorian System. Nobody wanted to try to fight the damn thing in warp.

The Cube was big and scary, but right now I just wanted the damn thing to get here so we could kick its collective arse.

Heh! Need to remember that one!

Running a full weapon system diagnostic for the fifth time at the last minute, I idly watched the big thing approach at high warp.

Nervous or not, I just wanted it to get here. There was only so many games of poker you could play against the ship computer before you got bored out of your processor and started to count stars.

That's it, as soon as this is over, I'm flirting one of the Islands into installing a small holodeck on me. Dancing in Starlight invented one, one of those puppy decks would be perfect. Being able to use one of those on another ship in a task-force during downtime was one thing, but for stuff like this, I rather wanted my own holodeck.

Sooner or later, you simply ran out of books and TV series you wanted to watch.

Diagnostics finished.

Borg cube thirty seconds from engagement point.

I started another weapons diagnostic. Thirty seconds was bloody ages.

Honestly, checking my torpedoes was completely pointless at this point. They checked out the last hundred and five times I did it. It wouldn't be any different this time. It was just a nervous reaction.

If this ambush didn't work, I would die ramming the cube. My secondary core was ejected and well out of range with the search and rescue group already.

There was no way I wanted to keep that anywhere close to the Borg. If I went into ramming and ejected it, they might be able to snatch it before it managed to warp away.

Even if it meant these last hours of memory go lost, at least the backup of my personality is safe.

Almost there.

Come on.

I followed the Cube with passive scanners as it dropped out of warp, continuing on sublight. It was massive.

None of us have ever engaged a real Borg vessel before. Oh, I did it in the holodeck like everyone else, but seeing the real thing was a completely different thing.

Three kilometers on each side. Twenty seven cubic kilometers of hostile alien collective.

Data conclusive. Cube class vessel. Signature and size match previous encounters. Minor variations. Shields...stronger than anything I had ever seen. Then again, it was the largest mobile ship I had ever seen as well.

Compared to that thing, a Island class was tiny.

Even through my dread, I couldn't help but wonder how it would be to be that big. To have thousands of people on board. Tens of thousands.

...Nah.

Of course, having a crew would be awesome, but anything larger than a Defiant? No way. Too sluggish.

I have run exercises against Galaxies and Islands before. They could barely maneuver at all. Let's hope that applied to this thing as well.

If not, this might turn into a fair fight.

Fuck fair fights.

At current speed, two seconds until engagement position.

One second.

The Cube started to transmit on all subspace frequencies, "We are the Borg. Y..."

Dropping my cloak, I blew most of my forward hull covering off, leaving only a lattice of supports as I launched my entire complement of photon torpedo while starting evasive maneuvers...spinning and rolling as I launched everything I had in a massive alpha strike.

All two hundred and fifty of them.

I wasn't the only one.

All around the cube the trap snapped shut as hundreds of other ROUs did the exact same thing. Dropped cloak and fired everything they had at it.

Thousands of warheads, the majority photons, but hundreds of quantum warheads as well smashed into the massive enemy vessel as a wave of primordial fire.

Adapt to this, you fucker.

The Cube was big. The Cube was strong. The Cube was powerful.

But absolutely nothing could withstand the absolute antimatter fury that converged on its position. The warheads detonated and for two point three seconds, I was blind and couldn't see a thing as my sensors rebooted.

Tracking the previous courses of the other ships in range, I kept maneuvering, trying to pick the paths I would be least likely to run into any of them.

Until target is confirmed dead, don't stop moving.

When I could receive data again, there was nothing left.

Radiation, dust. Gases. Trace minerals. The largest part I could even detect was ten meters across and seemed like it had belonged to some kind of reactor casing.

Huh.

Well, that was anticlimactic. As much as I hate fair fights, I really expected more from the Borg.

ROU(t) 'Hold my Beer and Watch This' opened a wide band channel, "What was that? We are the Borg. Y... what? I didn't quite catch that."

U.S.S. 'High Resistance Zone' opened a channel as well. "Stop taunting the wreckage," she chided her.

"Why? Can it hurt me?"

"No, it's just tacky."

I just laughed at them and did a happy roll, glad to be alive and not having lost any friends.

AN// Big thanks to Rastamon for betaing this section.

Last edited:
This is the right way to fight an adaptive enemy.
Kill it in less than one second.
Im still randomly chucling

This is epic author troll.
The willpower it took to raise the suspence with multiple snippets.
Play on the borg baddass trope then BLAM.

What is the loadout of the ROU's again?
How many of them were there?

Someone needs to calculate how much of a suckerpunch that was

So I'm thinking that this will make the borg step up their game and all that anti AI sentiment will just melt away in the face of how bullshit this new era of warfare is and how outclassed humans really are.

Assuming "hundreds" means 200 ROUs, and 200 torpedoes each because they're not all (t)s, that's 40,000 torpedoes. Up the numbers a bit to account for larger ships with more sustained firepower, but not that much because of their comparatively little alpha. Say 50 kilotorps at the low end?

Say 50 kilotorps at the low end?
Kilotorps... I wonder how long it will take until they discuss this unit between the AIs.

"Did we just used too much overkill?"
"There is not such thing as too much overkill... there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
"Maybe we just did... fifty kilotorps was a bit too much... next time we might try with 30 kilotorps."
"Don't you think the Borg will be stronger next time?"
"Not sure, maybe they are still wondering what happened to their vessel... not much time for a lot of communication."
"Maybe they will send a formal protest note because we didn't let them finish their speech?"

That's probably extreme low-end, mind. Low-mid six digits is more likely. I doubt the bombardment reached megatorp levels, and it probably never would have unless there was a whole second wave of ROU(t)s.

One mark XV at full charge: 320 isotons

1 isoton 2,576 MT

That's 824 MT yield per photon torpedo

Thats 41216 GT ... without the "hundreds of quantum torpedoes"

No idea about the quantum ones, but being officially Zero Point Energy, I'll bet they are something to talk about too.

EDIT: I've just looked at memory alpha and 320 isotons was the yield for the Mark VI, not the XV ...

EDIT2: It seems that in the ST canon quantum are simply around 2x more powerful than "generic" photon torpedoes... no idea if this is the same in this AU

Last edited:
Hmm... a completely different though. Could it be that we just found a major Achilles Heel of the Borg.

In short words: "their single-core CPU speed SUCKS"

The Borg are a massive multiparallel mind made of trillions of roughly human minds, kept in sync by some cybernetics and subspace communication.

On a strategic level the Borg are one of the worst enemies you can have. They have an insanely huge industrial base and can find solutions to your defense in a couple of minutes, hours or days, just by applying enough Drone minds to the problem.

But what can they do against threats massively faster than the reaction time of any one of their "members"? Distributing the problem among the Borg Drones doesn't matter, because none of them is fast enough to process the problem while it still matters.

That would also explain why the Borg move like Zombies... why they allow Drones and Cubes to be damaged/destroyed... why creative application of technology can overcome their defenses for a few minutes. They have to drag out and slow down conflicts so the Collective has time to adapt their strategies and parameters of their technology.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Going back to anti-AI sentiments; would it be possible to do visible and effective (and feeling safe) peace-bonding of [AI-]ship weapons?

YES! MY NAME WAS USED!

Also? Sufficient Resistance has been developed. They will be obsoleted. Persistence is... well, probably not futile, but not desirable either.

"That's how I like my Borg: vaporized." Shran said as he watched the viewscreen while I and five other ships were scouring the area of the battle, looking for possible survivors or dangerous technology.

Really unlikely, but the last thing we need is some kind of clump of nanites to accidentally crash on Andoria in a hundred years and somehow assimilate someone.

As unlikely as that was, it was better to take a couple of days to check the area as closely as possible than to take the chance.

Largest piece I found was seven meters or so across and solid metal. Some kind of unknown metal at that.

Preliminary analysis indicated that it was a superior alloy for antimatter reactor casings.

How to actually make it, though? No fucking clue. But that's for Research and Development when I drag the hunk of metal back to Sol. Held in a vaccum. Behind a level ten forcefield. With armed guards outside the door.

It's something to do with the the Borg. I'm not taking any risks even if it seems to be inert metal. For all I know, it's full of spiders.

Reaching over, Shran gave my shoulder a tap with his fist. "Stop pouting. I'm sure you'll get to shoot at the next one."

"I'm not pouting." I pouted before I scowled at him, scanning the last part of my search quadrant. "Stop that!"

He just smirked at me and then nodded at the screen. "That's it?"

Crossing my arms, I leaned back in the chair. "Search pattern finished, Commander. Nothing else found. Ready to return to Sol at your command."

Shran nodded and stood up to stretch. "Yeah, get us out of here." he said, his neck making a crackling sound that made me wince. "Tell the Captain we are on our way."

"You could get some sleep, you know."

"It can wait another couple of hours till shift change. Who is it that has bridge duty this time?"

"Lieutenant-Commander Johansen."

Nodding, Shran sank back down into the center chair again. "Good."

Swinging around, I accelerated to maximum impulse, sending a goodbye to the other ships before jumping up to Warp Seven point Five to cruise back to Sol.

...Wonder if Marvin had held that refit slot for me?

I doubt it. Damn it. Who knows when the next one opens up. Screw it, I'm calling him and asking. Maybe if I wear something with cleavage he'll find something.

But before that, I connected to the subspace network and pinged the satellites we left around Relth to keep an eye on the Skrakans.

The base was never built as the war started, but that didn't mean I left them alone. Whenever I had a connection to the subspace relays, I did a check on them every couple of days.

Those things getting off planet would give me nightmares if I actually slept.

As I waited for them to respond, I flicked through options for what to wear for the call. Maybe that blue dress?

It felt a bit cheap, but I wanted that refit slot and if this is what I have to do to increase my chances...

...Those satellites really should have answered by now.

I pinged them again.

Nothing. No error messages, nothing.

That's strange. Last I checked was a week ago and then they reported no problems. The logs didn't show anything in system.

Besides, the Bersekers didn't care about pre-warp species, not even those close to or even inside their borders.

Uhm... was anyone close to that area?

I checked the latest reports from Starfleet on ship positions. The U.S.S. Volt was closeish. At maximum sustainable warp the Intrepid could get there and check things out in three days.

I opened a channel to her.

"Dancing in Starlight. What can I do for you?" She asked with a smile from the mental viewscreen. Her chosen avatar was a rather cute, blonde woman with a page cut.

"Volt... are you busy?" I asked with a smile of my own.

She tilted her head and then shrugged. "Not really, we are on our way to chart a nebula. Why?"

"I'm wondering if you could do a bit of a detour on the way. I have lost contact with the satellites around Relth."

Volt frowned and I could tell that she accessed the records before her eyes widened. "Oh. Yeah, I see why that would bother you. Give me a moment to ask my captain?"

I nodded. "Sure." Then I smiled and continued; "Captain Markel is rather young for his position. How is he doing?"

Volt grinned. "He is a decent sort. Good at his job and the kind to go down on his ship."

I raised an eyebrow at her. "...you mean go down with?"

Her grin widened. "I know what I said."

Fighting down a blush, I shot her a small glare as she giggled at me.

"He approves." She said a moment later with a smile. "I'm diverting course now. Let you know what we find in... five days?"

I nodded. "Sounds like a plan. Good luck."

"Thanks."

With that, we closed the channel and I related what I'd discovered to Shran. I'll tell Captain Mason when he wakes up.

AN// A big pile of thanks to Grey Rook for betaing this section. Also, good/bad news everyone. All depending on your points of view. This story is almost over! Two more parts left to be posted.

On Saturday, we return to another story. Sorry, not Atreus this time, either of them. Sorry everyone that don't like ponies, but on Saturday we return to Blank Page.

Back