Oscars 2020

So since one of the single only other fun things about the Oscars besides watching them is Speculation I thought this thread would be a fun idea.

Here is the full list of Nominations

Best Picture
"Ford v Ferrari" (Disney/Fox)
"The Irishman" (Netflix)
"Jojo Rabbit" (Fox Searchlight)
"Joker" (Warner Bros.)
"Little Women" (Sony)
"Marriage Story" (Netflix)
"1917" (Universal)
"Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" (Sony)
"Parasite" (Neon)

Best Director
Martin Scorsese ("The Irishman")
Todd Phillips ("Joker")
Sam Mendes ("1917")
Quentin Tarantino ("Once Upon a Time in Hollywood")
Bong Joon Ho ("Parasite")

Best Actor
Antonio Banderas ("Pain and Glory")
Leonardo DiCaprio ("Once Upon a Time in Hollywood")
Adam Driver ("Marriage Story")
Joaquin Phoenix ("Joker")
Jonathan Pryce ("The Two Popes")

Best Actress
Cynthia Erivo ("Harriet")
Scarlett Johansson ("Marriage Story")
Saoirse Ronan ("Little Women")
Charlize Theron ("Bombshell")
Renee Zellweger ("Judy")

Supporting Actor
Tom Hanks ("A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood")
Anthony Hopkins ("The Two Popes")
Al Pacino ("The Irishman")
Joe Pesci ("The Irishman")
Brad Pitt ("Once Upon a Time in Hollywood")

Supporting Actress
Kathy Bates, "Richard Jewell"
Laura Dern ("Marriage Story")
Scarlett Johansson ("Jojo Rabbit")
Florence Pugh ("Little Women")
Margot Robbie ("Bombshell")

Adapted Screenplay
Taika Waititi ("Jojo Rabbit")
Steve Zaillian ("The Irishman")
Anthony McCarten ("The Two Popes")
Greta Gerwig ("Little Women")
Todd Phillips and Scott Silver ("Joker")

Best Original Screenplay
Rian Johnson ("Knives Out")
Noah Baumbach ("Marriage Story")
Sam Mendes and Krysty Wilson-Cairns ("1917")
Quentin Tarantino ("Once Upon a Time in Hollywood")
Bong Joon Ho and Han Jin Won ("Parasite")

Animated Feature
"How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World"
"I Lost My Body"
"Klaus"
"Missing Link"
"Toy Story 4"

International Feature Film
"Corpus Christi"
"Honeyland"
"Les Miserables"
"Pain and Glory"
"Parasite"

Best Documentary
"American Factory"
"The Cave"
"Edge of Democracy"
"For Sama"
"Honeyland"

Best Cinematography
Rodrigo Prieto, "The Irishman"
Lawrence Sher, "Joker"
Jarin Blaschke, "The Lighthouse"
Roger Deakins, "1917"
Robert Richardson, "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood"

Best Costume Design
Sandy Powell and Christopher Peterson, "The Irishman"
Mayes C. Rubeo, "Jojo Rabbit"
Mark Bridges, "Joker"
Jacqueline Durran, "Little Women"
Arianne Phillip, "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood"

Film Editing
Michael McCusker and Andrew Buckland, "Ford vs. Ferrari"
Thelma Schoonmaker, "The Irishman"
Tom Eagles, "Jojo Rabbit"
Jeff Groth, "Joker"
Yang Jinmo, "Parasite"

Makeup and Hairstyling
"Bombshell" (Kazu Hiro, Anne Morgan and Vivian Baker)
"Joker" (Nicki Ledermann and Kay Georgiou)
"Judy" (Jeremy Woodhead)
"Maleficent: Mistress of Evil" (Paul Gooch, Arjen Tuiten and David White)
"1917" (Naomi Donne, Tristan Versluis and Rebecca Cole)

Original Score
Hildur Guðnadóttir, "Joker"
Alexandre Desplat, "Little Women"
Randy Newman, "Marriage Story"
Thomas Newman, "1917"
John Williams, "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker"

Original Song
I Can't Let You Throw Yourself Away," "Toy Story 4"
"I'm Gonna Love Me Again," "Rocketman"
"I'm Standing With You," "Breakthrough"
"Into the Unknown," "Frozen 2"
"Stand Up," "Harriet"

Production Design
"The Irishman"
Production Design: Bob Shaw
Set Decoration: Regina Graves

"Jojo Rabbit"
Production Design: Ra Vincent
Set Decoration: Nora Sopková

"1917"
Production Design: Dennis Gassner
Set Decoration: Lee Sandales

"Once Upon a Time in Hollywood"
Production Design: Barbara Ling
Set Decoration: Nancy Haigh

"Parasite"
Production Design: Lee Ha Jun
Set Decoration: Cho Won Woo

Sound Editing
"Ford v Ferrari" (Donald Sylvester)
"Joker" (Alan Robert Murray)
"1917" (Oliver Tarney and Rachael Tate)
"Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" (Wylie Stateman)
"Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" (Matthew Wood and David Acord)

Sound Mixing
"Ad Astra" (Gary Rydstrom, Tom Johnson and Mark Ulano)
"Ford vs. Ferrari" (Paul Massey, David Giammarco and Steven A. Morrow)
"Joker" (Tom Ozanich, Dean Zupancic and Tod Maitland)
"1917" (Mark Taylor and Stuart Wilson)
"Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" (Michael Minkler, Christian P. Minkler and Mark Ulano)

Visual Effects
"Avengers: Endgame" (Dan DeLeeuw, Russell Earl, Matt Aitken and Dan Sudick)
"The Irishman" (Pablo Helman, Leandro Estebecorena, Nelson Sepulveda-Fauser and Stephane Grabli)
"The Lion King" (Robert Legato, Adam Valdez, Andrew R. Jones and Elliot Newman)
"1917" (Guillaume Rocheron, Greg Butler and Dominic Tuohy)
"Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" (Roger Guyett, Neal Scanlan, Patrick Tubach and Dominic Tuohy)

Documentary (Short Subject)
"In the Absence"
"Learning to Skateboard in a War Zone If You're a Girl"
"Life Overtakes Me"
"St. Louis Superman"
"Walk Run Cha-Cha"

Short Film (Animated)
"Daughter"
"Hair Love"
"Kitbull"
"Memorable"
"Sister"

Short Film (Live Action)
"Brotherhood"
"Nefta Football Club"
"The Neighbor's Window"
"Saria"
"A Sister"

*Sees no mention of the Last black man in san franciso*

aaaand into the trash the Oscars go.

No Lupita either.

and nothing for Queen and Slim.

and no Greta nor Lulu.

I mean Joker winning lots of awards makes sense since it's basically a big pile of shit from other award winning movies cobbled together with duct tape.

Don't think I didn't notice you fuckers jacking that part from Collateral (which is one good-ass movie) where the characters are in a cat and mouse chase on a subway and try to fake eachother out by waiting for the other to run out of the train when it pulls into the station.

Last edited:
I enjoy most Tarantino but does his Manson murder AU really deserve an Oscar?

I mean Joker winning lots of awards makes sense since it's basically a big pile of shit from other award winning movies cobbled together.

Don't think I didn't notice you fuckers jacking that part from Collateral (which is one good-ass movie) where the characters are in a cat and mouse chase on a subway and try to fake eachother out by waiting for the other to run out of the train when it pulls into the station.

Honestly Captain Marvel should have gotten at least one nomination. But seeing Alt right cheering at how Joker got awards while Captain Marvel didn't was upsetting to see the bad guys win the Oscars.

Joaquin Phoenix heading onstage to collect his eleven Oscars:

But seriously I can't speak for most of the nominees but 1917 damn well deserves its spots, that shooting schedule must have been absolutely fucking hellish and I don't know how Mendes or Deakins made that thing work like it does. I mean the movie's essentially two sixty-minute shots for Christ's sake and while there's obviously plenty of invisible cuts and other bits of editing trickery to make it not literally that Mendes went ahead and made it progress in real-time too with 95% of the movie taking place outdoors so for the sheer balls on those men I'd probably give them their wins.

I mean Joker winning lots of awards makes sense since it's basically a big pile of shit from other award winning movies cobbled together with duct tape.

Its honestly amazong how much of the joker is just mimickry.

It had a good score:)

Though I wonder how much of the bile for Joker is objective or people just salty the movie didn't bomb let alone get banned from theatres after all the toxic panicmongering.

When Captain Marvel gets snubbed at the Oscars especially after Scorcese's comments on the MCU in particular.

Of all the comic book films to win an Oscar Joker gets one this year.

It had a good score:)

Though I wonder how much of the bile for Joker is objective or people just salty the movie didn't bomb let alone get banned from theatres after all the toxic panicmongering.

I may hate the joker character.

Todd Phillips
And really the idea of character studies about characters like Arthur.

But I am not stupid the joker is popular it was gonna make money theres a reason I never bet against it on box office bets.

This tweet, or the beginnings of the article it is quoting, put it best:
The Oscar's Love Mediocrity: That's why Joker got 11 Nominations

It is precisely the kind of movie that the Oscars exist to celebrate, a middlebrow film that encourages middlebrow viewers to think of themselves as thoughtful consumers.
You saw this illustrated amply last year, where we had three movies with racial themes nominated for best picture. What were their messages?

*Black KKKlansmen was a bold and transgressive movie that presented race issues as irreconcilable, present to this day, working with authorities won't fix anything, the discriminated classes need to rise up as one, etc etc. (this is why Spike Lee will never win an Oscar)

*Black Panther was less bold but nevertheless dealt with afrofuturist themes about black people being a force unto themselves whites, and at a meta level proving that a superhero movie with a nigh exclusively black cast can still win mainstream popularity and critical acclaim.

*The Green Book was white people used to be racist, but they can learn to be better, and maybe even have a thing or two to teach blacks. It stars a white person, is based on his words, and takes place in the past because racism was SOLVED FOREVER amiright!

Its not exactly surprising which movie about race won, its the one that caters to white people's sensibilities, about how they might be racist but can transcend it, which still makes it a story fundamentally about a white person's character development. In other cases you get White Savior narratives like the Blind Side, where a white person helps out an unfortunate black person... this stands in contrast to Black Panther which unapologetically pulls a role reversal.

This tweet, or the beginnings of the article it is quoting, put it best:

You saw this illustrated amply last year, where we had three movies with racial themes nominated for best picture. What were their messages?

*Black KKKlansmen was a bold and transgressive movie that presented race issues as irreconcilable, present to this day, working with authorities won't fix anything, the discriminated classes need to rise up as one, etc etc. (this is why Spike Lee will never win an Oscar)

*Black Panther was less bold but nevertheless dealt with afrofuturist themes about black people being a force unto themselves whites, and at a meta level proving that a superhero movie with a nigh exclusively black cast can still win mainstream popularity and critical acclaim.

*The Green Book was white people used to be racist, but they can learn to be better, and maybe even have a thing or two to teach blacks. It stars a white person, is based on his words, and takes place in the past because racism was SOLVED FOREVER amiright!

Its not exactly surprising which movie about race won, its the one that caters to white people's sensibilities, about how they might be racist but can transcend it, which still makes it a story fundamentally about a white person's character development. In other cases you get White Savior narratives like the Blind Side, where a white person helps out an unfortunate black person... this stands in contrast to Black Panther which unapologetically pulls a role reversal.

So why Cap Marvel didn't got nominated at all? It feels a bit insult and problematic that joker got all these nominations but Cap marvel didnt

I'm both surprised and deeply annoyed at the lack of a best picture nomination for Uncut Gems or best actor for Adam Sandler.

Im not this Oscars is the single safest OScars ive seen in years.

If Rocketman can't get in, then Uncut Gems won't.

Still pissed about Rocketman. Consider Bohemian got the fucking Oscar last year.

I am just pissed that Cap Marvel didn't get in and instead Joker did.

Some rather jumbled thoughs about this:

i) I'm going to be super hacked off if Joker wins all eleven categories because that would put that would literally put up in the same category as RETURN OF THE KING!

ii) Its profoundly disappoitning that Greta Gerwig didn't get a best director nomination because Little Women is a better film than Joker and the directing was far better and more imaginative. (Just the ending of Little Women alone is really clever.)

iii) I'm not sure I'm more disappointed about this but it certainly makes me more viscerally angry that after Batman Begins, Spiderman 2, The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy V2, and of course Black Panther, the first superhero movie to get major recognition at the Oscars embodies just about everything that is rotten about the genre whilst stripping away all the things that actually make it well not to be too melodramatic, noble.* It would be like Return of the King stripping out most of the fantasy elements of Middle Earth and Frodo's quest to destroy the Ring in favour of dialling up the 'white westerners vs. evil dark, eastern hordes' undertones.

*The most serious of course being the film's thinly veiled authoritarianism because how the hell did a movie that tries to pin the Joker as representative of any kind of social change get pegged as anything other than corporate propaganda.

Some rather jumbled thoughs about this:

i) I'm going to be super hacked off if Joker wins all eleven categories because that would put that would literally put up in the same category as RETURN OF THE KING!

ii) Its profoundly disappoitning that Greta Gerwig didn't get a best director nomination because Little Women is a better film than Joker and the directing was far better and more imaginative. (Just the ending of Little Women alone is really clever.)

iii) I'm not sure I'm more disappointed about this but it certainly makes me more viscerally angry that after Batman Begins, Spiderman 2, The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy V2, and of course Black Panther, the first superhero movie to get major recognition at the Oscars embodies just about everything that is rotten about the genre whilst stripping away all the things that actually make it well not to be too melodramatic, noble.* It would be like Return of the King stripping out most of the fantasy elements of Middle Earth and Frodo's quest to destroy the Ring in favour of dialling up the 'white westerners vs. evil dark, eastern hordes' undertones.

*The most serious of course being the film's thinly veiled authoritarianism because how the hell did a movie that tries to pin the Joker as representative of any kind of social change get pegged as anything other than corporate propaganda.
Ince Upon a Time in Hollywood is taking best picture and best director because it's allegedly Tarantino's last film.

Parasite is basically what Joker wanted to be. Joker, in embracing the limited metaphor of the supervillain and the clinically insane necessarily closes itself off to some key components and critiques. In so doing it loses the freedom of artistic expression that Parasite has and Joker's whole thesis is therefore restricted to being vaguely equivalent to merely one of Parasites many subthemes.

Joker has some nice ideas, compelling direction and Joaquin Phoenix' performance is by definition easier for an English speaking audience to read but that's pretty thin praise when it's up against a masterpiece of understated style.

Joker will win all the awards because the media said it was going to make people shoot up theaters but it didn't and that's a testament to the quality and depth of the film.

12 stars. Also Joaquin Phoenix gets an extra 30 bars of gold for his trophy case.

1917 better sweep the technicals, and honestly I'd like to see it win best picture just to spite all my friends who loved Parasite so much.

Back