Orleans: The Thousand-Years War of the Dragon Witch

1-3
[X] Press Astolfo on the Issue.

"One moment," you raise a finger indicating your query, "how exactly are you able to recall all this information, and I am not?"

"Mmm," he muses, brushing one of his bangs from his vision, "I'm not sure exactly. I'm not exactly a magus so everything I'm saying is just guesswork?" He admits, without guilt. "It could be that the Holy Grail is only working for one of us?" He asks, lips curving in dissatisfaction as he does. "But... there is something else I completely forgot to tell you!"

Astolfo gives his account of the events of the events of Fate/Apocrypha, and The Great Holy Grail War.

You find yourself learning naturally, easily accepting what he says at face value, as if the knowledge of the Holy Grail War was meant to be there, but for some reason isn't.

"And from that, I must conclude!" He enunciates with vigor, " that neither of us have been affected by the Grail for whatever reason. That though both our summonings were faulty, I managed to retain all my memories of my Holy Grail War somehow."

You nod to confirm your comprehension. "Are servants not supposed to retain memories in between wars?" You asks, to which he shakes his head.

His attention span has visibly fallen to that of a different subject, to that of the bangs of his hair, picking at them again for split ends, before he turns his eyes on you. "Aw man!" He whines, "enough about the Holy Grail! I'm bored!" Taking your hands, he lifts you up and onto your feet. "I've been dying to explore more of where we are." He grins, flashing his fang.

"Astolfo!" You cup his hands to calm him down, "I still may have more questions…"

He looks at you obviously. "Mmm? What might they be?"

You stifle a laugh. "I just require more context as to our situation, that's all…"

"Mmm…" His eyes falter away, "I suppose I should do that. Sorry, sorry."

You let go of his hands to allow him full use of his hand gestures as he speaks.

"We're in some abandoned shelter in the midst of a large town. I was able to gather that much from what little observations I conducted outside this residence before you awoke. I do not know how long we've been asleep however," he admits sullenly. "My memories fail me, as I have said before, and I myself feel… weak. Incredibly weak."

It takes you a second before you realize he's referring to his strength as a servant, which like you, feels incredibly off versus how you two are supposed to be at full strength, as Heroic Spirits.

"I… see. I suppose I should be grateful that you did not abandon me when you woke up."

Astolfo takes mild offense, even scoffing for full effect. "As if! I would never abandon anybody in their time of need! That, is the way of Astolfo. That," he thumps at his heart for emphasis, "is how Astolfo has always been." He clears his throat. "And besides, It was not necessarily a selfless action either. I believe, that we found ourselves here because we will need each other. And even if that wasn't the case, and this is all a series of strange coincidences, we would still need each others' assistance."

You purse your lips. "How so?"

"Do you not feel it?" He gestures upwards, then folds his fingers together to stretch out his limbs.

Roll 1d20: 9 (Rolled 5 + 2 from WIS modifier + 2 from proficiency.)
Partial Failure

Your sense-perceptions are still really, really off, but even your body in this inhibited state can feel it. The taint in the air, the atmosphere of dread which contaminates your vision, tinting it grey… It's not just your corrupted form. You don't know why, but something is terribly, terribly wrong.

"This world… something is off." You realize, to which Astolfo nods.

"I have no idea why." He admits, with a casual shrug. "That's what I would like to investigate upon venturing outside."

He flashes you as best of a smile he can manage, revealing the multitude of fangs which have taken residence "Is there anything else you would like to know?"

[You may ask multiple questions...]

[] Who are you? As a person. (Astolfo appears to be tired of talking about himself for now.)
[] Do you know why the world is like this?
[] What are we going to do?
[] Why are we here?
[] Is there anything else you know?
[] Why are we corrupted?
[] No questions for now.
[] Write-in.

Last edited:
1-4
[X] Why are we corrupted?
[X] Is there anything else you know?

"Is there anything else you know Astolfo?" You ask.

The paladin makes an unreadable noise at the back of his throat, before shrugging, shaking his head. "Meh. I gave you everything I knew." He stops himself. "I think?"

Your head tilts in some sort of curiosity. "I was also wondering about the current status of our forms. About our corruption." You gesture to your body. "Astolfo, did you not notice?"

The paladin raises an eyebrow, before popping his mouth.

"Oohhhh, right!" He motions to his appearance, then shrugs his head with an almost unnerving nonchalantness. "I dunno. That was one of the other facets of our current condition I wished to investigate upon venturing outdoors."

You raise an eyebrow, but it really doesn't feel like he's taking special care to hide something behind that demeanor of his.

"I have been feeling a tad more feverish since I've woken up however..." He continues, clapping his hands together. "I was also wondering as to how you feel, compared to your old situation as well."

You stare at him, a tad confused. "Eh? I am not sure what you mean…"

"I mean how you feel right now versus when you were alive. Before you became a Heroic Spirit."

You purse your lips, and pause for a second, to contemplate and compare how your body feels, in between the two states of existence. "Right now... I feel uncertain. Like I don't know who I am anymore. As if everything about the old me would be misplaced in this form, but every other possibility is wrong. Nothing fits." You let out a sigh. "And I'm not sure who to be, or who I should become."

"That sounds horrible."

"It is, and I don't know what to do about it. I'm not sure what this corruption has done to myself, and I find myself reluctant to find out."

Astolfo's visage visibly sullens at your words, and you finding yourself turning away from his sad face. At least, until he lightly flicks you in the nose.

"H-hey!" You protest, "what's the matter-"

Ignoring you, he groans in frustration. "How frustrating…"

"Eh?" You look back at him, and see that he's grasping at his hair, pacing back and forth in frustration.

"Why do I always attract the kinds of people who are suffering identity crises!" Pouting, he takes your hands. "Knowing what you're supposed to do, knowing who you're supposed to be… none of it means a damn thing! In the end, only you can know and decide who you want to become! Anything else, is just pither-talk and excuses, self-deception and denial!" Performing a twirl, the corrupted paladin gestures as if performing to an audience which he has grown to love throughout his life. "For as long as you exist, life is there! One should grasp at life while they can, for even if they end up back where they began at the end of it all, at least they lived their lives to the fullest extent! Even if we are corrupted from our original forms, does that change the fact that life," he gestures by balling up a fist, "is ours for the taking!?"

You stare at your own hands, protected by a set of black gloves that fit snugly around your palms comfortably, in stark contrast to the paladin's words.

"Life to the fullest… extent?"

MARIA ANTONIA has seen DAUPHIN LOUIS-AUGUSTE for the first time.

MARIA ANTONIA (Inner Monologue)

Him? He seems so stiff, so indifferent, and so ungainly. This is my husband…? One whose eyes are so languid…?

CLERIC (to DAUPHIN LOUIS-AUGUSTE)

Well, what has become of your gentility! Go and salute your bride with a kiss!

DAUPHIN LOUIS-AUGUSTE mechanically walks over and kisses MARIA ANTONIA on the cheek.

MARIA ANTONIA (Inner Monologue)

Is it going to be just like that? My future consort has just kissed me...yet I cannot feel anything? Will I be spending the rest of my life with him, just like this?

(END SCENE)

You're not sure how to feel. Nevertheless, it's clear Astolfo poured his whole heart into his little pep talk, and you could at the very least thank him. Could being the key word.

Also, there's the issue of the fact you still have yet to properly introduce yourself.

[Thank him, and give out your True Name?]
[] Thank him…
-[] And give out your True Name.
[] Remain silent.
-[] And give out your True Name.
[] Write-in.

Flashback taken from the manga Rose of Versailles.

[X] Thank him…
-[X] And give out your True Name.

A Marie quest? Well, that's new. Watched.

1-5
[X] Thank him…
-[X] And give out your True Name.

"Astolfo…" You cup his fingers, gently caressing them, smiling warmly. ...thank you." The paladin's grin lights up. You falter, just for a bit. "And, I must apologize. I never properly introduced myself to you in the midst of this confusion."

He scoffs, waving it off. "Oh no worries! You don't have to worry about that, although…" he shifts a bit, trying to hide his excitement and failing, "I would be lying if I weren't curious as to your True Name, though it isn't necessary-"

"My name," you smile, nodding, "is Marie Antoinette, Queen of Lilies. Once, Queen of France and Narvarre. Then, the French." You pronounce your title with a bow. "I do hope we will enjoy working with each other."

"Same!" Showing off his great many fangs, the paladin gives you some approving gesture, sticking his thumb upwards.

You have been granted hold of an abandoned apartment to serve as your hideout, granting Squalid conditions for you to live in. Squalid conditions grant you no resources, no respect amongst others.
Your characters have preferred lifestyles, and will spend every penny you obtain trying to achieve such and such. (On food and drink.) If one wishes to have a surplus of gold, it will be necessary to either amass a large quantity of loot, or find an occupation for the party to occupy.

Astolfo is all too eager to lead the way out of this squalid hole, one which you hopefully won't have to come back to again. Unfortunately, as you step through, it doesn't seem your first excursion outside will be without drama.

"This is a raid! Have your property out, ready for confiscation! Hoarders and resistance will be met with force!"

Stepping outside your miserable complex, you find yourself greeted by a hallway in a similar, dilapidated state, plain and barren. Holes splotched all over the ceiling, the wood foundation giving way to dirt and grime. The windows are boarded up with rotting wood or iron bars coated in an unhealthy degree of rust, the glass having been removed or looted long ago.

You hear whispers behind you. "There's nothing here for them to take… didn't they realize that when they walked in?"

Something seems to have drawn everyone from their respective rooms. Commanding their attention is the presence of a small squadron of three; footsoldiers, fully clad in blackened plate armor, with small patches of corruption visibly showing on their persons. Though intimidating in their aesthetic, their presence threatens to be overwhelmed from the sheer numbers of the residents alone.

"What's going on?" You lowly ask to those around you.

"Everybody up against the wall now! This is a raid!"

"It's a raid." A voice behind you whispers. "Followers of the Dragon Witch. You two picked a bad day to wear fancy clothes, cause no doubt they'll take all they can from you."

You swallow hard, looking around you. Opposite of the direction of the raid is an exit, which several fortunate would-be victims are happily exploiting.

[Option Select]
[] Observe carefully.
[] Walk Away.
[] Submit.
[] Intervene.
-[] Try to reason with them.
-[] Attack the raid.
--[] Physically.
--[] Magic. (Specify)
[] Ask the Followers to help with the raid.
[] Ask more questions to the voice behind you.
[] Write-in.

Features (Marie)

Eyes of the Dark- Corrupted by the Grail, Marie's eyes, as sanguine as blood, have been cursed with the ability to see through the darkness.
At 1st level Sorcerery, Marie possesses darkvision with a range of 60 feet. She may see through any darkness magic she uses using this ability.

Between Love & Death- Marie constantly lives in an emotional and physical state that is best described as an unstable mixture of two opposing formulas; the first being that of when she was adored by her people, as the idol queen, and the second being that of when she had hit her lowest point, when her son was confiscated from her, during her captivity in the temple.
Whenever a source of damage reduces her to 0 hp, she may make a Constitution saving throw (DC 5+ damage taken.) On success, she will instead drop to 1 hp. She cannot use this feature if he is reduced to 0 hp by radiant damage, or by a critical hit.

Forsaken by God- Marie has become determined to find a new font of strength, whether it be through her companions, or it being returning to the embrace of her subjects, or even if she has to rely on only herself.
If she fails a saving throw or miss with an attack roll, she may roll 2d4 and add it to the total, possibly changing the outcome.

Supernatural Resilience- The numerous holy incantations and rituals performed on her body during her life, alongside the implementation of the Habsburg Holy Magical Circuit upon her has granted a resilient body.
Her hp maximum increases by 1, and increases by 1 again whenever she gains a level.

Magics

Lvl. 0 (Marie)

Gandr Shot: Habsburg Brand- Passed down through the House of Habsburg as a cheap magic to allow the royals to protect themselves, the coding was so well engraved onto Marie's magic circuits, that she requires no metaphysical knowledge of the magic to cast it. The coloring of the blast has changed during her corruption, from a bright red to a deathly black, and the corporeal curses, containing in them the essence of monarchy and domination have manifested in this realm as flames.
Marie uses a protective blast of energy at a creature or object within range.

Casting Time- Instant
Damage-1d10
Damage Type-Fire
Adjust Lighting- An essential magic for any budding idol, allowing them to adjust the lighting anywhere and make any place a stage for their performance.
Marie creates up to four torch-sized lights within range, making them appear as torches, lanterns, or glowing orbs that hover in the air for the Duration. Each light sheds dim light in a 10-foot radius.

Casting Time-Instant
Concentration
Duration-1 Hour
Conjure: Royal Hand- An essential magic for any self-respecting noble, used to perform tasks either too dangerous for their being, or too lowly.
A spectral, floating hand appears at a point Marie chooses within a short range. The hand lasts for the duration or until it is dismissed. The hand cannot exceed a short range, not may it be cast simultaneously, with another hand.
She can use the hand to manipulate an object, open an unlocked door or container, stow or retrieve an item from an open container, or pour the contents out of a vial.

Casting Time-Instant
Concentration
Duration-15 minutes
The hand can't attack, activate magical items, or carry more than 10 pounds.

Party Trick!- A minor magical trick used for purposes of fun, or in Marie's case, to often amplify her physical appearance.
Marie may create one of the following magical effects within range.
-She creates an Instantaneous, harmless sensory effect, such as a shower of sparks, a puff of wind, faint musical notes, or an odd odor.
-She instantaneously lights or snuff out a candle, a torch, or a small campfire.
-She instantaneously cleans or soils an object no larger than 1 cubic foot.
-She chills, warms, or flavors up to 1 cubic foot of nonliving material for 1 hour.
-She makes a color, a small mark, or a Symbol appear on an object or a surface for 1 hour.
-She creates a nonmagical trinket or an illusory image that can fit in her hand.
Casting Time-Instant
Duration-1 Hour

Level 1 (Marie)

Dazzling Gleam (Corrupted)- Holy light, stored away within her magic crest, which only the lineage of the monarchs of Europe may manufacture within themselves, now tainted with Marie's corruption.
A dazzling array of black light springs from Marie's hand, blinding all around her who witness its' presence.
Casting Time-Instant
No Damage
Blinding, Burn

Detect Magic- Being in a state akin to a Servant, the ability to sense the presence of magic nearby comes naturally to her.
Upon casting this magic, if she senses magic in this way, she detects all nearby magic, by sensing faint auras around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and she learns its school of magic, if any.
The magic can penetrate most barriers, but is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.
Casting Time-Instant
Concentration
Duration-10 minutes

Alluring Nightingale- Throughout her life, many would fall for the Queen of Lilies, it makes no sense that this wouldn't apply to the new world as well. If her natural charisma fails her (shock,) whose to say that she can't just add a little magic to her charm>
Marie amplifies her charm with her magic, attempting to unwillingly charm a humanoid within range. It must make a Wisdom saving throw, and does so with advantage if anyone in the party is fighting it. If it fails the saving throw, it is charmed by until the magic ends or until Marie or the party companions does anything harmful to it. The charmed creature regards Marie as a friendly acquaintance. When the magic ends, the creature knows it was Charmed.
Casting Time-Instant
Duration-1 Hour

Features (Astolfo)

Divine Sense- Once a paladin of Charlemagne, Astolfo has been trained to automatically sense the forces of The Good and The Evil around him, in their most base forms. He doesn't remember how he learned it (a lot of Christian philosophy & training which he didn't exactly memorize,) but the training is still with him today, even in his corrupted form.
Astolfo can open his awareness to detect celestials, fiends, and undead around him, that are not behind total cover He will know the type (celestial, fiend, or undead) of any being whose presence he senses, but not its identity. Within the same radius, he also detects the presence of any place or object that has been consecrated or desecrated.
He may use this feature a number of times without resting equal to 1+CHA modifier. All uses are replenished at the end of a long rest.
Lay on Hands- Paladins were meant to be trained in the art of divine healing, in that their touch would be blessed enough to heal wounds on their own. While he forgot the magic during his life, and subsequently, during the Great Holy Grail War, his training has resurfaced in his corrupted form, causing him much confusion.
Astolfo possesses a font of divine healing, that replenishes whenever he enjoys a long rest. This pool is equal to ½ his current level, plus his Charisma modifier. With this font, he may restore a total number of hit points equal to his level × 5.
He may touch any creature and draw magic from the font to restore a number of hp, up to the amount remaining in his font.
He may touch a creature and draw power from the pool to restore a number of hit points to that creature, up to the maximum amount remaining in his pool. He may also expend 5 points from his font to cure the target of one disease, or neutralize one poison affecting it. He may cure multiple diseases and neutralize multiple poisons with a single use of Lay on Hands.
This feature has no effect on dead or constructs.

Concentration: If a magic requires concentration, then they may not use it at the same time as any other magic.
Mana Slots: Magic wielding Servants can cast only a limited he or she can cast only a limited number of magics before resting. Granted a limited amount of Prana that they must divide up between fueling their existence and their magic, this is manifested in Mana Slots, which represent how much mana a Servant possesses.

When a Servant uses magic, they expend a slot of that magic's level or higher, effectively "filling" a slot with the magic. Lower level magic can be fueled by higher level mana slots, effectively empowering the magic. A 1st-level magic fits into a slot of any size, but a 9th-level magic fits only in a 9th-level slot.

Finishing a Long Rest (8 hours) restores any expended magic slots.

Marie currently possesses on her, two level 1 slots. They may be used to cast both level 1 or 0 magic, the latter in an augmented form.

Level 0 magic does not require spell slots, and is unlimited in its' re-usability.

These soldiers are of easy difficulty, if one wishes to confront them. However you deal with them, the consequences will be relatively lax, versus that of future encounters.

[X] Intervene.
-[X] Try to reason with them.

No reason not to put that charisma to use. Besides, just attacking without any serious provocation sits badly with me.

Back