Oppenheimer biopic by Christopher Nolan

If they wanted to be really brave they'd have given it all to the goddammed Godzilla movie.

Well of course Oppenheimer cleaned up. Otherwise they'd have to give awards to a GIRL film.
To clarify this (assuming you're referring to Barbie as the 'girl film'), the Golden Globes divide their Best Picture and Best Actor/Actress awards additionally by genre, so the two movies weren't actually competing against each other for many of the awards, and the only instances of Oppenheimer directly beating out Barbie were Christopher Nolan getting Best Director over Greta Gerwig and Robert Downey Jr. getting Best Supporting Actor over Ryan Gosling.

Oppenheimer's competition for Best Picture - Drama were Anatomy of a Fall, Maestro, Killers of the Flower Moon (probably its biggest competitor), Past Lives, and The Zone of Interest, while the movie that beat Barbie for Best Picture - Musical or Comedy and Best Actress - Musical or Comedy was Poor Things (which I just made a thread for, funnily enough!)

Also it's just kinda how it goes that certain sorts of movies attract more awards than others. Serious dramatic works get seen as having more merit by the people giving them out.

Congrats to Oppenheimer for winning the Academy Awards for Best Picture, Best Director (Christopher Nolan), Best Lead Actor (Cillian Murphy), Best Supporting Actor (Robert Downey, Jr.), Best Cinematography (Hoyte van Hoytema), Best Original Score (Ludwig Göransson), and Best Film Editing (Jennifer Lame).

I watched the movie two weeks ago. Yeah, the movie wasnt as good as ot was om stream. Maybe I watched it in theater, I would get more entertained by it.

Congrats to the creators for winning an Oscar. Didn't care for it though.

www.japantimes.co.jp

'Oppenheimer' opens in Japan eight months after global release

Japan screenings were delayed as the worldwide premiere was only weeks before the anniversary of the 1945 bombings in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
"Oppenheimer," an Academy-award winning biopic on the man known as the father of the atomic bomb, was released on Friday in Japan, where two nuclear devices killed hundreds of thousands of civilians nearly eight decades ago. The movie's Japan debut--its final theatrical market release--came more than eight months after it was released around the globe.

The film quickly became a global hit after opening in the United States last July. But many Japanese were offended by fan-created "Barbenheimer" online memes that linked it to "Barbie", a frothy blockbuster that opened around the same time.

Universal Pictures initially left Japan off its global release schedule for "Oppenheimer". Eventually picked up by Bitters End, a Japanese distributor of independent films, it was given a release date for after the Oscar awards ceremony.

... Christopher Nolan's Oscar-winning historical epic debuted in Japan with $2.5 million, placing third in the country after two local films, the horror title "Strange House" and the animated "Haikyu!!" With these ticket sales, "Oppenheimer" stands at a staggering $965 million globally.

www.japantimes.co.jp

'Oppenheimer' opens in Japan eight months after global release

Japan screenings were delayed as the worldwide premiere was only weeks before the anniversary of the 1945 bombings in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Oh yeah. Heard about that. I find it weird that they wouldn't have this movie release there when the movie came out earlier already. I mean, it doesn't show the bombing of Hiroshima and Nakasaki.

It must be a nationalism thing.

Back