On the translation of texts to suit modern sensibilities

I would like to know if you would be able to read the above text "as it was written." That's the Magna Carta, BTW. It's written in what can technically be considered a dead language.

I meant that translation should be as accurate as possible. Instead of meanings choosen that fit your personal views.

I meant that translation should be as accurate as possible. Instead of meanings choosen that fit your personal views.

I assume that "as accurate as possible" really means "as close to the author's original intent as possible". But for many of these texts, scholars do not agree what the author's original intent is, or even have enough surviving evidence to find it. And that's just for the texts with a single author. God knows that for works with multiple authors, usually the authors don't agree on what their original intent was.

"Technically" that's still English so it shouldn't need translation. And yes, technically it's also a dead language at the same time.

Now obviously that form of English is so far removed that a modern English speaker can't make heads or tails of it, but that hasn't prevented at least some English literature professors actually requiring their students to read The Canterbury Tales (texts not too far removed from the Magna Carta both linguistically and chronologically) essentially "untranslated" (ask me how I know). Or hardscore scholars from "reading" the original Beowulf text which is both still technically English and more linguistically closely related to Nordic.

My point being, the issue of how to "translate" text is often more difficult than what some people assume - do a translation to best preserve the author's intent, and you often just end up guessing wrong. Do a straight translation to let the author's words "speak for themselves" and you still lose the author's intent through centuries of cultural and linguistic evolution. Don't bother to translate, and for the vast majority of the world's population the texts might as well be lost to history forever, for all the practical good it does.

The "safe spaces" concern is, at best, tilting at windmills. Documents that require translation or localization tend to be old enough to be part of the public Commons; a given version deciding to omit triggering elements doesn't preclude other versions with those elements intact also being created. So, yes, I'd say those versions definitely should be created if there exists a potential audience that will benefit from having them. If I think they compromise the artistic or historical merits of the work I might not use those particular versions, but I see little reason why they shouldn't be available to those who want them.

On the other hand, the translation/localization conversation is a lot more interesting. I've studied Aristophanes for a fair bit of time, and I can hardly imagine doing so again without the aid of localized translations. Playing with words, social commentary, subversion of cultural expectations-- many of the core elements of his works simply don't work without being updated to concepts familiar to a modern eye. Translations accurate to the original Greek don't actually retain the spirit of his work, making it almost impossible to understand on an artistic level.

You're ignoring the rather extensive collection of modern texts in foreign languages.

The context of the conversation thusfar has been exclusively about translating old texts. A modern foreign text wouldn't need to be modified to suit modern sensibilities since it was, by definition, written for modern sensibilities.

There might be cultural differences a localization of a modern text needs to grapple with, but that's a different discussion.

The context of the conversation thusfar has been exclusively about translating old texts. A modern foreign text wouldn't need to be modified to suit modern sensibilities since it was, by definition, written for modern sensibilities.

There might be cultural differences a localization of a modern text needs to grapple with, but that's a different discussion.
No it's not a different discussion it is exactly the same discussion. The very fact that many modern sources are localised is a clear indicator that things are not that homogeneous across cultures. The differences still exist and the translation issues are very much the same.

To spirit. Obviously a direct word to word translation of ancient works would be clunky and unintelligible. But whenever possible it's best to stick close to original meaning.
Again, what if there is disagreement amongst scholars as to what the "spirit" of a given text, line, or phrase is? This is not at all uncommon, especially with old epics or translations of phrases being used in a completely different context than they would be today.

No offense, galahad: your idea sounds nice on paper, but trying to put it in practice would probably be very, very difficult.

This is why I'm such a big proponent of side-by-side translations...

Last edited:
requiring their students to read The Canterbury Tales
Our English lit teacher insisted on reading the Pardoner's Tale to us without translating it, so we were supposed to understand the words without translation. Everyone complained though so they called in the Head of School to hear our complaints. But yes, reading things like Middle English is impossible without a commentary next to it

Our English lit teacher insisted on reading the Pardoner's Tale to us without translating it, so we were supposed to understand the words without translation. Everyone complained though so they called in the Head of School to hear our complaints. But yes, reading things like Middle English is impossible without a commentary next to it

Poetic writing by its very nature breaks the idea of a singular translation for the 'spirit' of the writing. Trying to translate the rhythm and wordplay of a work will weaken the meaning of it and a straight translation of the meaning of the work breaks the rhythm and wordplay. Puns and Poetry make all the flaws of any translation stand out for everyone to see.

Poetic writing by its very nature breaks the idea of a singular translation for the 'spirit' of the writing. Trying to translate the rhythm and wordplay of a work will weaken the meaning of it and a straight translation of the meaning of the work breaks the rhythm and wordplay. Puns and Poetry make all the flaws of any translation stand out for everyone to see.

It is not only poetry that really challenges the translator and necessitates some interpretation by him, the same is true for languages like Chinese which most here seem to have ignored so far.

Last edited:
It is not only poetry that really challenges the translator and necessitates some interpretation by him, the same is true for languages like Chinese which most here seem to have ignored so far.

Or god forbid, trying to translate classical/literary Chinese, which basically assumes the reader knows all the great Zhou dynasty classics and the major Confucian and Daoist texts by heart.

The wild ride of complications never end. References, wordplay specific to a language, wordplay specific to the written language, sarcasm, puns, lost text, and on and on and on. Just look at the Mayans who love to

to sum it up

Again, what if there is disagreement amongst scholars as to what the "spirit" of a given text, line, or phrase is? This is not at all uncommon, especially with old epics or translations of phrases being used in a completely different context than they would be today.
I am relatively sure that what @galahad is trying to say is that the translator should pick the option they feel is best from the available options and not create something to suit themselves. Which is a reasonable stance. There is plenty of room for multiple translations without people creating new options and meanings.

This is why I'm such a big proponent of side-by-side translations...
In 99% of cases side by side translations would be useless to me I don't have any capacity to understand the other language that I am reading the translation for. If I could read the language then I'd be reading the original and not what was filtered through the translator. I'm not sure how common it would be that people read a translation and can understand the source language.

I am relatively sure that what @galahad is trying to say is that the translator should pick the option they feel is best from the available options and not create something to suit themselves. Which is a reasonable stance. There is plenty of room for multiple translations without people creating new options and meanings.

In 99% of cases side by side translations would be useless to me I don't have any capacity to understand the other language that I am reading the translation for. If I could read the language then I'd be reading the original and not what was filtered through the translator. I'm not sure how common it would be that people read a translation and can understand the source language.
I can read reasonably read and understand older French, Italian, German, Spanish, and English from up to three hundred years ago. But I still need the side-by-side translation to understand subtleties and obscure contextual phrasing.

Having both side-by-side means, however, that I can understand the meaning of the text and study specific turns of phrase and vocabulary in the original.

I mean, a translation most true to spirit is all nice and good and not to be denigrated, but especially in texts that have differences in scholarship, it should be clear why a translation was made in a specific way and not another one. This should be clear so the reader can be informed as to what he's reading.

"Author's intent" and "Translator's intent" are very difficult to separate. Side-by-side plus footnotes allow the reader to glean as much detail and info out of the old text as possible.

I generally find unofficial scanlations with translator footnotes to be better than the cleaner official translations. The flexibility of English is also helpful as you can just take untranslatable words as loan words (as some translators do for Japanese honorifics for an example).

I can read reasonably read and understand older French, Italian, German, Spanish, and English from up to three hundred years ago. But I still need the side-by-side translation to understand subtleties and obscure contextual phrasing.
That is nice but some of us don't want to be restricted to only reading texts where we can understand both languages involved. For me that defeats the purpose of the translations since I read translations to have access to more than what is just available in the languages that I speak.

I want my translations as neutral as possible. I've encountered translations where the translator has changed things to suit how they felt the work should be and all of them that I can recall have been horrible. Since neither side by side nor footnotes would help with that situation I'd much rather the translators don't fuck with the story because I need to get another indepenant translation in order to check the first. Which would be fine if I was reading for academic purposes but I read for entertainment and would rather not have to evaluate the text multiple times just to check if the translator is translating or writing fanfiction.

That is nice but some of us don't want to be restricted to only reading texts where we can understand both languages involved. For me that defeats the purpose of the translations since I read translations to have access to more than what is just available in the languages that I speak.
Which is why I'm advocating for more side-by-side translations. Original text on one page, and translation on the other.

Like, have Shakespeare in Elizabethan English on the left page and an as-neutral-as-possible translation into modern English on the other. Add footnotes on the page and appendices per act and scene to explain context, meaning, and possible translator choices.

Where's the problem with that?
I want my translations as neutral as possible. I've encountered translations where the translator has changed things to suit how they felt the work should be and all of them that I can recall have been horrible. Since neither side by side nor footnotes would help with that situation I'd much rather the translators don't fuck with the story because I need to get another indepenant translation in order to check the first. Which would be fine if I was reading for academic purposes but I read for entertainment and would rather not have to evaluate the text multiple times just to check if the translator is translating or writing fanfiction.
Footnotes and appendices where the translator points out possible double meanings and the contextual use of specific phrases and also mentions alternative translations are pretty much exactly what you seem to want, though!

I'm confused as to why you think side-by-side translations are apparently so awful. :???:

I'm confused as to why you think side-by-side translations are apparently so awful. :???:
Because they're of next to 0 value to me because I am incapable of understanding anything within the side that it was translated from in the vast majority of cases. In the few case where I do understand both languages I preffer to just read a bit slower in the original text. I speak multiple languages but I do quite a bit of reading outside of those languages and I don't have the mental capacity to learn two new languages at the same time.

Footnotes I'm fine with I just like them reserved for the complicated bits not used extensively because I find them more of an interuption after a certain point. I just don't see how footnotes would help when the translator starts deciding to change the story which I'd rather that they don't do. I'm not talking about alternative translations options but complete deviations from the original text where they remove or add elements simply because they feel like it'd fit better.

Which is why I'm advocating for more side-by-side translations. Original text on one page, and translation on the other.

If you require the translation in the first place, why bother with the original? I know of people who actually do read original Manga scans and their English language translations side-by-side but that just seems oddly peculiar at best and just anal to the point of suggesting a legitimate mental malady at worst.

If you require the translation in the first place, why bother with the original? I know of people who actually do read original Manga scans and their English language translations side-by-side but that just seems oddly peculiar at best and just anal to the point of suggesting a legitimate mental malady at worst.
To look at nuances in phrasing, comparing vocabulary from past and present, and to learn things?

Like, I learned a lot of Spanish by reading the English and Spanish versions of Harry Potter side by side, for example. I don't see why you couldn't do the same for older texts.

To look at nuances in phrasing, comparing vocabulary from past and present, and to learn things?

Like, I learned a lot of Spanish by reading the English and Spanish versions of Harry Potter side by side, for example. I don't see why you couldn't do the same for older texts.
It is genuinely amazing to see people who demand a translation as objective as possible but reject having the original text side by side. Like, how will you measure objectivity otherwise?

Back