1.19.2 At the End of the Academic Year (Part 2)
so i cheated a bit

[x] Elizabeth Irivich Zabanya
[x] Stephanie

It takes more than two weeks for your squad to finally loosely decide that all of you need to talk about squad tactics in much greater detail at some point, preferably soon.

It's not that apprentices haven't taken tactics classes; every single apprentice has, even though some are clearly better at it than others. But the fundamental point - as made clear more than two weeks ago - is that Squad Four has never fought together before until the night the Squirrels attacked, and translating theory to practice without ever even having discussed theory with your squadmates in the middle of your first real battle was...difficult, as it turned out.

So it is on an afternoon that you and Stephanie decide that now - on a weekend and with little better to do other than wallow under the oppressive atmosphere of a traumatized community - is as good a time as ever to step out of your shared dorm room and pay Sieglinde and Elizabeth a visit.

Except almost immediately, you see two things: That Elizabeth is currently standing in the hallway right outside her room, leaning against the wall with an expression that hints at mild impatience and irritation; and that that the door to the room she shares with Sieglinde is half-open.

As you helplessly approach despite suddenly not very much wanting to, you are consumed by the fear that Sieglinde and Elizabeth have fought, and that the West Wing is about a minute from transforming into a massive pile of rubble with everyone still inside.

But as you approach Elizabeth - or more precisely, the door she is standing next to - she reaches out and grabs your forearm, stopping you. Her grip is actually surprisingly gentle, but it may as well have been vice-like for all you attempt to struggle out of it. "L-Lady Zabanya?" you stammer, wide-eyed, when you realize that quiet, hushed, but agitated voices are coming out from inside the room. At this angle, you barely managing to see two figures talking to each other inside: An adult woman you don't recognize, who wears the garb of a noblewoman, and Sieglinde who only betrays hints of frustration on her features yet is still the most upset you've ever seen her.

Elizabeth starts walking whence you came, walking towards the staircase at the end of the corridor. She barely exerts any force on your forearm, but you somehow feel yourself being pulled along as she casually suggests, "Let's go for a little walk downstairs."

You vaguely sense Stephanie catching up with the two of you after a moment of hesitation. "Lady Ravenhill..." she starts.

"Ravenhill is busy."

"W-Was that...?" you nervously ask.

"Ravenhill's mother," Elizabeth confirms. "Her visit was rather discreet, all things considered."

"They don't really look alike," Stephanie observes.

"She takes after her father."

"Is something wrong?"

"She's being summoned back to Arcaster."

"What?" you and Stephanie exclaim at the same time, freezing up in the hallway and find yourselves looking back down the corridor to make sure the two of you weren't overheard by the two Ravenhills in Elizabeth's dorm room after a moment of shock.

"Yes," smirks Elizabeth, not bothering to stop or even slow down in her stride, and you and Stephanie have to catch back up, "it turns out her parents were never entirely happy that she chose to come to Faulkren instead of Llyneyth, first among equals and closer to home."

"She c-can't just leave!" you protest. Whatever else, Sieglinde is probably the person closest to you in the academy and - perhaps just as importantly - a member of your squad. You've already lost fellow apprentices here at Faulkren; you don't know what you'd do if Sieglinde left as well.

"Oh?" laughs Elizabeth, grinning at you the way a smug older sister would at a foolish younger sister after a particularly ill-conceived bit of mischief backfired spectacularly. "And what are you going to do? Charge in with your buster sword and scare off Ravenhill's mother with it?"

The thought of even possibly threatening a noblewoman with bodily harm - especially with a buster sword as large as yours - sends you into a panic: "I-I..."

"Neither of you can help," Elizabeth waves a hand over her shoulder dismissively as she and Stephanie reach the top of the stairs, and you have to catch up from where you've frozen up behind them. "Let it go. Whatever else, Ravenhill's putting up a decent fight. Don't go in there and ruin it."

You hesitantly look back towards Sieglinde's room, but after a moment, you reluctantly chase Stephanie and Elizabeth down the stairs towards the common area.

Of course, your alacrity quickly comes to an end as you reach the bottom of the stairs...and find in front of you - sitting on a couch in the common area with a somewhat impatient and frustrated expression on her face, muted as it is - Headmistress Cornelia Rastangard.

"H-Headmistress Rastangard," you stammer, bowing your head slightly. Stephanie, too, politely murmurs "headmistress" in greeting.

Rastangard looks up at the three of you and nods in acknowledgement, mastering her expression: "Girls." Then she swivels her head towards Elizabeth and asks, "How is it?"

"Ravenhill is being stubborn," the tiny elven mage says. You suppose you aren't surprised that the headmistress herself is waiting here for whatever conclusion comes out from upstairs. Not only is a lady of House Ravenhill here, but she risks losing one of her three prodigies here at Faulkren.

"Which one?" inquires Rastangard.

You don't actually turn to look as your stomach drops and your blood momentarily freezes in your veins, but you're almost sure that Elizabeth is smirking when she answers, "Yes."

That look of mild annoyance - the kind an aunt might have with a particularly cheeky niece - returns to Rastangard's face as she rolls her eyes and mutters, "Get out of my face."

You quickly flee the immediate area with Stephanie, and find yourself entirely unsurprised as Elizabeth leisurely strolls towards you in the center of the common area with a big grin on her face.

"Come on," she declares when she finally catches up with the two of you, gesturing to a constellation of couches arranged around a tea table, "let's have a game of chess." Conveniently, there are already two chessboards on the table, albeit with scattered pieces; someone probably abandoned a game midway. "I'll play a game with both of you each simultaneously. You do know how to play, yes?"

Stephanie hesitates, clearly not sure she wants to play a game with Elizabeth, but she allows, "I'm not good at it, but...yes."

"I kn-know the rules," you answer. Indeed, you were taught the rules of chess as a child back in your village school, but you doubt that your schoolteacher really actually knew how to play either.

Elizabeth shrugs in a manner not unlike a girl being presented with chocolate that she doesn't particularly like but doesn't particularly dislike either. "Good enough. Sit."

BGM: Final Fantasy XII - Sorrow: Resistance

You are the slowest to set up your side of the board as you sit beside Stephanie. Your aseri roommate is the first to finish, although Elizabeth - on the other side - is done mere seconds after the aseri, and she was setting up two separate boards in vaguely lethargic motions. Fortunately, you don't take that much longer, although there is an embarrassing moment where Elizabeth has to point out that you put your marshall and champion pieces in reverse.

"I'm guessing we're not having our squad tactics discussion today," Stephanie speculates as the two games begin, and because she moves one of her lances forward by two spaces, you do the same.

"Until such a time that we are sure Ravenhill's staying," responds Elizabeth, "I am not about to waste my time." Noticing that you looked at Stephanie's board and perhaps just to mess with the two of you, Elizabeth moves her identical lance on both boards two spaces forward as well. "I assume the two of you are staying, given the absence of parents of packed bags."

"I am."

"S-Same," you quickly stammer when you realize that Elizabeth is looking expectantly at you for an answer.

"Good," Elizabeth smiles sweetly. "Having to deal with new squadmates would be a massive pain."

Stephanie looks like she's trying to withhold a sigh as her second paladin moves forward on the board. Their game is progressing fast enough that the first line of lances are advancing and the major pieces are slowly moving up offensively. "You don't really care that much about whether or not Lady Ravenhill leaves, do you?"

Elizabeth tilts her head slightly to the side in an almost angelically childish gesture. "What could possibly make you believe so?"

"Have you actually seen people who have lost roommates?"

Elizabeth pauses for a moment, and for just that moment, you think that Stephanie may have hit a nerve, or at least forced Elizabeth to reconsider. This moment ends when you realize she's just looking at Stephanie's board in contemplation, and quickly moves her mage out from her corner of that board before quickly moving her paladin behind a formation of lances on your board. Then she looks back at Stephanie with an amused expression. "Ravenhill isn't lost yet."

Stephanie sighs. "Never mind. Forget I asked."

And, for a long moment, it seems like that's just how the conversation is going to end, even after Stephanie moves her champion close to the midboard in a somewhat aggressive move, only for Elizabeth to move her skirmisher in a flanking position in what seems like a surprisingly balanced play, before returning to your own game and advancing her own paladin to the midboard.

Except you aren't really thinking about chess at the moment. Gulping, you muster your courage before murmuring just loud enough for the other two to hear, "I...I-I think Lady Zabanya cares." Then, blushing furiously as you realize that both of your present squadmates are staring at you in surprise, you stammer, "A-About Sieglinde, I mean." You are, after all, thinking about that night you walked with Elizabeth to Faulkren for Midwinter's Feast. "I think she respects her."

You don't really peg Elizabeth as someone who would compliment another person she doesn't like. She may have coated the point with a conversation about how "genius deserves respect", but it doesn't really change the fact that the respect is there. It doesn't really change that Elizabeth dragged you and Stephanie away from her door, pulling both of you into a chess game, because Sieglinde is "putting up a decent fight". Her actions - in all the months before and just today alone - don't really lend to an impression that deep down, Elizabeth just doesn't care about Sieglinde leaving. And you realize it bothers you, a little, seeing Stephanie having the wrong idea.

The elf in question seems genuinely surprised for a slightly longer moment that you would've otherwise expected, staring at you with a curiously blank expression. Then she giggles, and you feel like the hair on your skin stands on end slightly. "Oh, Neianne," she beams. Whether she appreciates you coming to her defense at all isn't entirely clear. "If you keep telling other people about me, you're going to strip away all my mystique."

"I-I'm sorry," you squeak. You wonder if you should have bothered to open your mouth at all.

Elizabeth shrugs, not really caring to either acknowledge or discourage your apology. Instead, she taps you chessboard as if to remind you to make your move before turning to Stephanie. "Still, I suppose I'm doing better than Fluffy and Mysterious."

The aseri in question blinks, her muted surprise towards you transforming into muted surprise towards the elven mage. "Is that supposed to be me?"

"Part of being mysterious is knowing when to lead the curious along." Elizabeth and Stephanie have both taken two of each other's pieces thus far, but even a quick glance at the board shows that, even to your inexpert eyes, Elizabeth's side of the board is clearly better developed, her pieces moving out to support one another with an almost mathematical grace, the purpose of some moves only becoming clear a turn or two after the fact. "If you're just being evasive when it's obvious you have a secret, you're just being boring."

She hides it well, but months of being her roommate tells you that Stephanie is probably trying to suppress a sigh. "Maybe I like being boring. Maybe I don't actually have a secret. Maybe there's nothing to be evasive about."

The tiny elf rolls her eyes. "It was cute for maybe the first half year, but you're not exactly convincing anyone." She glances towards you, and a mischievous smile graces her face as she asks, "Isn't that right, Neianne?"

"U-Um." Squeaking again upon realizing that attention has turned to you once more - and on a subject you certainly feel conflicted about. Stephanie is your roommate and yet you know little about her. The fact that Stephanie herself seems to like it that way makes you both disinclined to pry...but also deeply curious. And, you have to admit, a little bit hurt. You look between your two squadmates with a conflicted expression. "I...d-don't know," you finally admit, fidgeting and glancing at your chessboard for a moment longer than is really necessary. Then, understanding that you're really just avoiding the topic, you glance hesitantly at Stephanie before finally murmuring, "I...want to r-respect Stephanie's privacy."

Stephanie's shoulders sag in relief, and it's only then that you realize she had been tensed for your reaction. She gives you a nod of respect, if not gratitude. Elizabeth, for her part, scoffs a little and makes a wry smile, shrugging her shoulders and saying, "Have it your way."

In spite of that almost ominous last line that Elizabeth lets the topic go, and the conversation largely continues unabated. For a while, topics come and go, from hobbies that you share - you even bring up Elizabeth's singing, to which the elf in question seems amused by - to the topic of deserts - which Stephanie and Elizabeth seem to have a greater affinity for. Yet you somehow can't help but feel that the conversation - to a degree - is performative, with the three of you dancing around topics in a manner that almost seems like you're avoiding the two subjects that matter the most right now: The Squirrel attack on Faulkren and the possibility that Sieglinde may very well leave the academy.

You're trying your best, but somehow, this squad conversation - one that already includes Elizabeth - feels even more awkward and forced than usual.

It really doesn't help that the degree to which you're losing in your chess game is evident to anyone with even a passing familiarity with the rules. Although her playstyle has ended up being far more measured and far less aggressive than you otherwise would've thought, Elizabeth has already taken twice the number of pieces you have, and has advanced far into your half of the board. Her moves are almost painstakingly methodical, but that doesn't change the fact that she is pulverizing you with little mercy. She is very much not a chess player who toys around with a weaker opponent, and seems almost single-mindedly intent on crushing you, a player who barely remembers the rules of the game and had no chance of victory to begin with. It's more than a little frustrating, not only because you're losing so badly, but also because you're fundamentally not learning anything from this game other than how wide the gulf is between you and Elizabeth, at least in terms of chess.

Sometimes, it feels like Elizabeth is a passable teacher in some ways and a horrible one in others. Or she's not remotely inclined to teach you how to get better at chess. Then again, you haven't asked her to. And, you suppose, everyone blows off steam in different ways, and there are certainly...less desirable ways that Elizabeth Irvich Zabanya could be doing so than making you look stupid at chess.

The conversation has just turned to the matter of a reduction in the services provided by the academy staff when - out of the corner of your vision - you see Headmistress Rastangard suddenly rise impatiently from her couch, and the conversation swiftly dies - at least because you and Stephanie instantly stop talking - as eyes track the headmistress stomping her way up the staircase, eventually disappearing from sight.

Elizabeth, who only barely acknowledged this with a glance, smirked, remarking with just a bit of a drawl, "This should be good."

You are not sure a potential confrontation between Headmistress Rastangard and a lady of a viscomital can be described as "good". "W-Will they be alright?" you ask in a nervous, furtive voice, as if the headmistress is actually waiting atop the flight of stairs, listening to anything you may have to say about her departure.

But the elven mage merely shrugs as she takes your last cavalier, ignoring your dismayed pout as she slides over back to Stephanie's board. "Rastangard isn't so foolish as to do anything entirely stupid with Ravenhill. And although she outranks her, Ravenhill is far from Arcaster, dealing with the trusted headmistress of Countess Celestia in Apaloft. I suspect it'll be a barbed conversation, nothing more." She repositions her mage from the flank slightly closer to the center as an answer against Stephanie's advancing skirmisher before sitting up slightly in her couch, looking around the common room, and producing a look of mild disappointment as she slides back down against the cushions of her seat. "And you'd think that maid would be here with tea by now, especially with the headmistress here. The service here has truly degraded."

Rather than looking just upset, Stephanie suddenly looks stern - perhaps even a little cold - as if an invisible line has been crossed. "There were injuries amongst the servants," she points out quietly. "Deaths." She advances her cavalier and places it down against the board with just a tiny bit more force than is necessary, but with the common room empty and the academy somberly quiet, it almost sounds loud enough to make you flinch a little.

"Indeed," the elven mage answers. And although she still sounds calm and lazy, there's just something about her - her tone, her expression, her body language - that suggests a degree of quiet reflection that you do not often see coming from her. "Such is the consequence of our weakness. People are maimed and killed, and there is little we can do about it."

Even Stephanie seems at least a little surprised by the answer, sharing a look with you when it seems like Elizabeth is concentrating on the chessboard. As far as the two of you can tell, this is the closest either of you have ever seen her come to regret, or ruefulness, or even guilt. She isn't talking about how other people are weak and thus powerless to change anything; it comes with the qualifier of "we", but somehow you get the feeling that she's talking about her own weakness rather than just the other apprentices of Faulkren Academy, or perhaps even the confederacy.

But then Elizabeth sighs in an almost content manner as she slides a skirmisher closer to the center and kicks back against her couch. "And, of course, some of them are leaving," she concludes. "This includes the maid who usually serves me tea, now that I think about it. There's no helping cowardice, I suppose."

Stephanie sighs in a manner not unlike someone who has witnessed something unpleasant but is not really surprised by it anymore. "You don't care about people very much, do you? Especially those of lesser means."

"You are making a lot of assumptions today. Praytell, what makes you think I don't have her best interests at heart?" Elizabeth's tone is almost gently mocking. "The maid leaves now, but do you think she'd rather be in town when the Tenereian armies arrive at our doorstep, or here, behind stone walls, a few dozen Caldran mercenaries, and more than a hundred apprentices?"

Stephanie makes a face as she realizes she doesn't have a good answer to that. Nor do you, not really. Certainly, you understand why people might want to leave after the academy was so brazenly attacked, but...where else, exactly, is "safe"? It's not like Faulkren and Invermere hadn't been attacked. If it could happen here, there it can happen anywhere else. In a manner of speaking, the academy is perhaps the safest place for kilometers.

Not that Stephanie wants to admit as such, so she merely holds her silence with a tired glare.

But Elizabeth is already shrugging and moving on in the conversation. "As you can see, I do think for her," she smiles, staring down at her boards...rather curiously, as if contemplating her next move for the first time since you've started. "Besides, she had a nice butt." She slowly moves her champion up to flank the formation on your left with a tenderness in her motions that cannot be attributed to her usual lethargy alone. "I...should have grabbed it, at least once," she adds, almost wistfully.

You and Stephanie exchange a startled glance. "The...tall human girl?" you ask, face coloring at how frank she's being. And also at how your first thought was to go down your mental list of maids who have a cute butt.

"With the dark hair and bangs?" Stephanie adds, her face less flushed but her eyes no less wide. "Who serves table?"

You recall that she was the one at your table during meals, almost unfailingly. You hadn't thought to make anything of that before now.

"She also tidied the library," Elizabeth confirms. She tilts her head, as if lost in vaguely pleasant memory. "Her chest was nicely shaped too."

"So, you're sure it was the battle that chased her off?" Stephanie asks. "Because if you were staring..." Which is as far as she gets, because there is a small crackling as Elizabeth leans over the table, and Stephanie yelps almost exactly at the same time as if poked by a needle. "Since when is it allowed in the rules to shock your opponent?" Stephanie rubs at a fattened eartip gingerly.

"It's allowed when she's being a brat," Elizabeth says, moving a piece in both games. "And believe me, that wasn't a shock. If I ever shock you, you won't be talking back about it." She leans back in her couch again, looking almost a little sullen at Stephanie's "joke"...but then she shrugs, and then that angelic, lazy, carefree smile easily returns to her lips once more. "Oh, well. What's done is done. If she's leaving, there's little else to think about."

"Why do you keep d-doing that?" you suddenly demand without really thinking about it, without really considering the consequences, and there must be something in your tone that causes Stephanie and Elizabeth to suddenly stare at you in surprise. Most of the time, this is your cue to realize you're speaking out of turn and clam up, but there's just something about Elizabeth that always feels aggravating to you from time to time. "You keep t-trying to seem like you don't care, b-but you do. It's a-alright to say that you're sad if p-people go and you'll miss them."

Unlike you, Elizabeth doesn't exchange glances with Stephanie, whereas the aseri furtively casts an anxious glance at the elf's temporarily unreadable expression. You are hardly a great reader of hidden emotions, but the fact that you can't tell what Elizabeth is thinking with regards to your outburst definitely makes you nervous, with the thoughts about possible consequences finally catching up with you, far too late to stop you from saying anything...

...At least until Elizabeth suddenly starts giggling.

You and Stephanie exchange nervous glances as the tiny elf doesn't just giggle, she hugs her stomach and almost starts kicking her legs, so apparently hilarious did she find your statement. It takes her a moment or two to finally master herself, and there's a rather wide grin on her lips as she looks at you and shakes her head. "You are giving a lot of tongue today, aren't you?" she laughs in a manner that somehow reminds you of ringing porcelain. "You are so very sweet."

You try to find something coherent to say, but you're mostly reduced to looking at Stephanie futilely for help and nervously stammering, "I-I-I..."

"And it's nice to see you finally speaking up more often, even if you're so often wrong. I don't care about people very much, but persons. Especially interesting ones." The tiny elf looks directly at you and her gaze lingers for a moment, for some reason. "There's a difference." Then Elizabeth moves her champion, and as she slides over to Stephanie's board, you slowly realize that you've been checkmated. As you sulkily pout once more at your misfortune, Elizabeth smiles at Stephanie, and there's just something about it that seems a lot less endearing than the one she gave you just now. "I suppose that answers your questions, doesn't it? I hardly hold those of lesser means in disdain, merely those who insist on making stupid decisions."

"I suppose it's you who gets to decide what's stupid and what's not," Stephanie mutters.

"I...think she l-liked you too," you offer, relatively quick in your attempt to interject this time, changing the topic. You pretend that all you're doing is calmly watching the game, too; the aseri is putting up a much better show than you are, achieving a degree of parity with the elf, but to your unpracticed eye, the elf is slowly pushing her advantage, prioritizing neither positioning nor the taking of pieces. It's almost as if Elizabeth's playstyle - a contrast to her usual seemingly nonchalant personality - embraces a balanced technical approach. "I-I mean...now that I think of it, sh-she always served your tea first. And w-was in the library when you were."

Elizabeth scoffs in an almost dismissive manner, but some of that amusement returns to her tone in a way that was absent when she was talking with Stephanie. "'Like' is a rather strong word, isn't it?" She shrugs and smirks. "Watching you make these assumptions is amusing. Either way, she's leaving. That's her choice, whether or not it's the wisest one to make. Common girls don't often survive bad decisions. Nor do they often get many second chances."

"I wonder why," Stephanie asks; her tone is even, but it's clear she means it sarcastically.

Matching her squadmate with a roll of her eyes, the elf snaps, "Because they're of lesser means. Because they often do not recover from poor decisions. Because there are too many hurdles they must overcome." She smirks a little, but it's clear that she's not being as patient as before...not that it's being reflected in her playstyle, which remains as balanced as ever. This does terrify you a bit even as you struggle not to shrink back a little. "Is that what you wish to tell me, Stephanie?"

"I haven't said anything," the aseri says coolly, neutrally, deliberately, slowly.

"Pray do not say such, then. Until you change how the world works, you can only make do with how the world is. I've heard enough prattle from the likes of Celestia and Penelope for a lifetime, and you don't see either changing the world. How would you like Penelope as a squad leader?"

Stephanie makes the slightest of faces, as if the very thought of it hurts her brain. "Does it have to be Penelope?"

"And just who are you trying to convince, anyways?"

This catches your roommate off-guard as she tilts her head slightly to the side. "Pardon?"

The elf leans forward in a way that - for just the tiniest of moments - makes you terrified for the aseri, but Elizabeth mostly lazily stares at Stephanie for a moment, as if studying her squadmate for the first time in a way that makes Stephanie shift uncomfortably under the gaze. "You're not the kind of evangelize. Nor are your arguments anything but the typical dreck. It's not even rehashed." She tilts her head slightly in your direction. "I'd be surprised if Neianne is particularly taken by your arguments."

A little surprised and alarmed at suddenly being dragged into this conversation, you stammer,"M-Me? I-I'm..."

But Elizabeth doesn't actually seem to intend to drag you into the conversation after all as she continues on, causing your lips to snap shut the moment she leans back against her couch and speaks again. "I have, at times, thought about whether or not to figure you out. How you're all over the place when it comes to describing your thoughts." She grins. "You didn't make it easy, seeing how little you've ever offered. But maybe that's why what little you have seems so jarringly mismatched, jumping from one thought to another. Where was this fervor, I wonder, when you were complaining about the likes of Penelope taking out vengeance by proxy on you? Or when you were so very worried about Neianne having eavesdropped on Rastangard about the Squirrels?"

Again, Stephanie's expression and tone is carefully mastered as she moves her remaining skirmisher in a defensive manner, completing a loose retaliatory formation around her marshall. "People change."

"Or maybe you didn't have much to begin with." Her smile is still there, but Elizabeth's eyes narrow a bit. "So, really, who do you think you're really serving with comments like that? Who are you really trying to convince?"

To her credit, Stephanie is impressively impassive as she simply considers the chessboard, even though her ears and tail barely hint at least a bit of agitation. "You, perhaps," she shrugs. "The...Spring knows I try."

For a moment, the elf raises an eyebrow at the aseri, regarding her in a skeptical, unimpressed manner. But then she shrugs, and that easy, lazy smile comes back to her lips. "I suppose you're more amusing than you're interesting, at least," she concedes, moving her paladin in an aggressive, threatening advance. "Check."

Your roommate lasts a few more turns as she tries to salvage the situation, but it is perhaps unsurprising when she is checkmated a few turns later.

The good news, at least, is that by the time day turns to night, Sieglinde confirms - much to the relief of the rest of the squad - that she'll be staying in Faulkren, at least for now.

You're still no closer to having that discussion on squad tactics, though.

holy crap im not dead yet from sheer utter uselessness

i will fill in bgm stuff for this update and the last update soon seriously

Except almost immediately, you see two things: That Elizabeth is currently standing in the hallway right outside her room, leaning against the wall with an expression that hints at mild impatience and irritation; and that that the door to the room she shares with Sieglinde is half-open.
Is Sieglinde secretly one of those girls who takes an hour to get ready whenever it's time to go out!?

An adult woman you don't recognize, who wears the garb of a noblewoman,, and Sieglinde who only betrays hints of frustration on her features yet is still the most upset you've ever seen her.
...oh.

Also, typo

"She's being summoned back to Arcaster."
Nooooooo...!

This squad is way too unbalanced without her, please don't leave.

"Oh?" laughs Elizabeth, grinning at you the way a smug older sister would at a foolish younger sister after a particularly ill-conceived bit of mischief backfired spectacularly.
*blinks*

*imagines earnest younger sister Neianne trying to earn headpats from older sister Elizabeth*

*breaks up laughing*

"Which one?" inquires Rastangard.

You don't actually turn to look as your stomach drops and your blood momentarily freezes in your veins, but you're almost sure that Elizabeth is smirking when she answers, "Yes."

That look of mild annoyance - the kind an aunt might have with a particularly cheeky niece - returns to Rastangard's face as she rolls her eyes and mutters, "Get out of my face."
I'm having a hard time imagining almost any other apprentice either doing that or getting away with it.

"Good," Elizabeth smiles sweetly. "Having to deal with new squadmates would be a massive pain."
Yaaaaaay, she likes us!

Then she giggles, and you feel like the hair on your skin stands on end slightly. "Oh, Neianne," she beams.
Go Neianne! Earn headpats!

*breaks up laughing again*

"Indeed," the elven mage answers. And although she still sounds calm and lazy, there's just something about her - her tone, her expression, her body language - that suggests a degree of quiet reflection that you do not often see coming from her. "Such is the consequence of our weakness. People are maimed and killed, and there is little we can do about it."

Even Stephanie seems at least a little surprised by the answer, sharing a look with you when it seems like Elizabeth is concentrating on the chessboard. As far as the two of you can tell, this is the closest either of you have ever seen her come to regret, or ruefulness, or even guilt. She isn't talking about how other people are weak and thus powerless to change anything; it comes with the qualifier of "we", but somehow you get the feeling that she's talking about her own weakness rather than just the other apprentices of Faulkren Academy, or perhaps even the confederacy.

But then Elizabeth sighs in an almost content manner as she slides a skirmisher closer to the center and kicks back against her couch. "And, of course, some of them are leaving," she concludes. "This includes the maid who usually serves me tea, now that I think about it. There's no helping cowardice, I suppose."

Stephanie sighs in a manner not unlike someone who has witnessed something unpleasant but is not really surprised by it anymore. "You don't care about people very much, do you? Especially those of lesser means."
Reeeeead between the lines, Stephanie, honestly.

"You are making a lot of assumptions today. Praytell, what makes you think I don't have her best interests at heart?" Elizabeth's tone is almost gently mocking. "The maid leaves now, but do you think she'd rather be in town when the Tenereian armies arrive at our doorstep, or here, behind stone walls, a few dozen Caldran mercenaries, and more than a hundred apprentices?"
To be fair, if Tenereian armies in full arrive as far as here, everything's fucked.

But Elizabeth is already shrugging and moving on in the conversation. "As you can see, I do think for her," she smiles, staring down at her boards...rather curiously, as if contemplating her next move for the first time since you've started. "Besides, she had a nice butt." She slowly moves her champion up to flank the formation on your left with a tenderness in her motions that cannot be attributed to her usual lethargy alone. "I...should have grabbed it, at least once," she adds, almost wistfully.
...is it sharing time? I...I think it's sharing time.

And also at how your first thought was to go down your mental list of maids who have a cute butt.
Come to the dark side, Neianne. We have...er...hrm, maybe I won't finish that thought.

"Why do you keep d-doing that?" you suddenly demand without really thinking about it, without really considering the consequences, and there must be something in your tone that causes Stephanie and Elizabeth to suddenly stare at you in surprise. Most of the time, this is your cue to realize you're speaking out of turn and clam up, but there's just something about Elizabeth that always feels aggravating to you from time to time. "You keep t-trying to seem like you don't care, b-but you do. It's a-alright to say that you're sad if p-people go and you'll miss them."
...! Darn it, Neianne, you're not supposed to ruin the game like that!

"You are giving a lot of tongue today, aren't you?" she laughs in a manner that somehow reminds you of ringing porcelain. "You are so very sweet."
And if you're not careful, you're going to get some tongue back!

wait hold on

I am not entirely sure what to make of this conversation.
Elize seems to either be very mature and self-aware about who she is or deep in denial of who she is, and I cannot figure out which one is it.

Also.

"Pray do not say such, then. Until you change how the world works, you can only make do with how the world is. I've heard enough prattle from the likes of Celestia and Penelope for a lifetime, and you don't see either changing the world. How would you like Penelope as a squad leader?"

But Elizabeth doesn't actually seem to intend to drag you into the conversation after all as she continues on, causing your lips to snap shut the moment she leans back against her couch and speaks again. "I have, at times, thought about whether or not to figure you out. How you're all over the place when it comes to describing your thoughts." She grins. "You didn't make it easy, seeing how little you've ever offered. But maybe that's why what little you have seems so jarringly mismatched, jumping from one thought to another. Where was this fervor, I wonder, when you were complaining about the likes of Penelope taking out vengeance by proxy on you? Or when you were so very worried about Neianne having eavesdropped on Rastangard about the Squirrels?"

Stephanie is...uhh...who is she?
Is she, like, an ex-rebel or whatnot?

I am utterly lost as to what Elize hints towards.

Also, given the obvious parallel between chess and speech, it is interesting that chess style of Elize here is, most of all, rehearsed and technical and balanced.
How much of her speech is just things she is used to saying because that's how she 'wins', I wonder.

...Step's dull, ultimately. Sure she has a degree of cool things like the flaming swords trick, but ultimately...She seems like a pedestrian person beyond what might very well be quirks of birthright. So she's amusing rather then interesting.
The maid, on the other hand? She was interesting, since she for whatever reason, tended to serve Zabanya consistently, which suggests a level of bravery, and was pretty. Two merits in her favor. However that same maid bailed out and went home, which, both does and does not work as a way to be safe, on the one hand, hardpoint that won't break. On the other hand, geographical distance from armies is a way to try and be safe...Though the hardpoint is probably a better idea given how far the Squirrels ranged? But on the flip side, secrecy works when one isn't particularly notable to the enemy, versus being fully committed the way Zabanya is.

Steph isn't dull, she just plays dull on T.V.

And, that is kind of the issue with her.

This chapter held a wealth of knowledge, it was also an exercise of reading between the lines. I learned a lot about both of them that I did not know even if it was just a bunch of small things that added up to a much larger picture.

Added "Traverse Town" from Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance to 1.19.1 as Wendy's theme. Added "Sorrow: Resistance" from Final Fantasy XII to 1.19.2. Typos fixed.

1.19.3 had better bloody come in the next few hours.

1.19.3 At the End of the Academic Year (Part 3)
[x] Lucille Lorraine Celestia
[x] Melanie Aster

The days pass, and sure enough, even before the shock of the attack on the academy fully abates, spring is here in full force, and despite reluctance from some of the apprentices, the instructors forcefully rouse all of you from a pall that frankly has not yet fully lifted, given the somber quiet that rests through the academy, a stark contrast to the days of chatter and laughter and steel.

Some have adapted well, behaving - or at least trying to behave - as if nothing had ever happened, those such as Aphelia and Mia. Others seem to have taken whatever lesson they've learned from the attack to heart, as if the attack was an epiphany on exactly what is at stake, working harder in their training and academics, including Azalea and Vesna. Yet for others still, the entire episode might have been close to the straw that broke the camel's back...or perhaps one that did, for whom the trauma seems to have played havoc on their spirit, translating to an inability to concentrate or apply themselves. Gossip and rumors of who may or may not be leaving - apprentices traumatized by death and destruction - refuses to disappear.

And really, how immune are you to its effects? Watching sadly at apprentices at mealtimes, slower and quieter than you remembered compared to Midwinter's Feast? Carpenters from Arkenvale arrived mere days after Countess Celestia left to repair the damage done to the academy, but every now and then, you see a scar from the battle - places where the coloration of new wooden beams are different, places where whitestone still bears scars of steel and magecraft - and there's just something that twists in your head, as if your thoughts are wrought by anger into red-hot knots, and you end up needing a minute to calm yourself down, to inhale and exhale deeply so the moment passes.

The academic year will end soon, and maybe after everyone has been able to go home - surrounded by family and friends - everyone will be able to return in high spirits once more, and things will be as if the attack never happened. You can only try to move past this anger...and hope that everyone else does as well.

These are not days that you will likely forget anytime soon.

At least, that's what you think, sinking into a deep reverie. But then you crash into something, yelping as you tumble backwards at a hallway intersection, and suddenly you aren't thinking very much anymore.

"I-I'm sorry!" you say almost reflexively, looking up hurriedly to see whom you crashed into; given the sound in front of you, it seems likely that you managed to knock someone over as well.

Of course, due to the fact that the two of you said it together, you almost miss the fact that Melanie Aster, too, is apologizing to you from where she landed on the ground, the white-haired aseri looking at you wide-eyed and guilty.

It occurs to you that you may as well have been looking at a mirror, putting aside the fact that she's an aseri and white-haired and taller than you and dressed differently.

Melanie rises to her feet first, of course - limber and svelte as she is - and quickly extends a hand to pull you up. You take it gratefully, even as she quietly stammers, "A-A-Are you alright?"

"Y-Yes," you answer, dusting yourself off now that you're back on your feet, feeling embarrassed. "Thank you. I-I mean, sorry."

"It's I who must a-apologize. There is...m-much on my mind."

"I would s-say the same." You pause, and when you next speak, there must be something about the inflection of your words that's different - perhaps as it should be - because Melanie suddenly seems more melancholy when you ask, "A-Are you alright?"

There is a noticeably longer version of hesitation when the white-haired aseri processes this question. It's only after that long moment passes that she smiles awkwardly - almost apologetically - as she murmurs, "M-Maybe I should think harder about my th-thoughts."

"Oh. D-Do you want to talk about it?"

Again, Melanie takes a moment to think. "I th-think I shall hold for now," she gives a small awkward smile. "Th-Thank you."

You nod respectfully, although deep down you wonder whether this means Melanie doesn't trust you enough yet. "Are you d-doing anything?" you ask, partly to distract yourself from such thoughts.

"O-Oh, I...th-thought to visit Lady Celestia." She fidgets with mild discomfort. "She's...b-been under much pressure lately. Because of..." Melanie's shoulders slump just a hair, "...y-you know."

Given your encounter with Lucille not so terribly long ago in the restrooms, you know. Which does give you a bit of motivation as you ask, "M-May I come along?"

Melanie seems surprised by the offer, but after a short moment, she gives a shy little smile. "That would be n-nice, I think. Lady Celestia could u-use the extra company."

And so the two of you end up departing from the main academic building, walking out into the pleasant spring winds of a lazy weekend afternoon. A semblance of normalcy has returned to the academy, even if it had to be forced out by your instructors, and small groups of apprentices are scattered across the courtyard of the academy, some of them merely in transit, others - more than you saw when you sparred with Wendy some time ago - training with their practice weapons while two instructors watch on.

"H-How is your squad?" Melanie asks you as you walk the length of the courtyard back to the West Wing. Perhaps she was reminded that Squad Four, too, spends your nights at your destination.

"Oh," you say after a moment of surprised blinking. "Th-They're alright." It's hard to imagine people like Sieglinde and Elizabeth not being alright. "A-And yours?"

"A few m-minor injuries." Melanie pauses before giving a tiny, hesitant smile, as if wary that she may be jinxing her squad. "W-We'll make it."

"I d-didn't see you during the f-fighting. Did your squad have things v-very bad?" You wonder if you should be asking such things, as soon as they leave your mouth, here on this nice day, on your way to help someone still struggling with memories of the fighting. And from the brief, complicated, almost unreadable expression that crosses Melanie's face - relief, panic, and perhaps something else - you think, for a moment, that you made the wrong decision.

But that expression passes quickly, and she answers, "Th-there was only one wolf in our wing. And we had warning. M-Mia was awake, for some reason, and sh-sh-she smelled it c-coming and sounded the alarm, so we...it wasn't so b-bad, when the enemy came." You're aware, particularly from her expression, that "not so bad" is something of a massive understatement, given the context, warning or not. "We g-got to the armory f-first, and we were...I-I was..." she falters suddenly, face flushing, "I was...t-too distracted with f-f-fighting to realise that..." She trails off, looking in the direction of the dorms you're walking toward with a troubled expression.

You are courteous enough to wait a moment, but you've long made it past halfway on the way to the West Wing, and Melanie doesn't seem to recall that you're walking right beside her. "Are you o-okay?" you ask, hesitantly touching her on the shoulder. She jumps, slightly, but doesn't pull away.

"I've... " she falters again, taking in a deep breath, "I'm supposed t-t-to be watching out for her, and I was nowhere t-to be found."

A bird chirps on a tree branch overhead, high and cheerful, and you're filled with the absurd impulse to glare at it for being inappropriate and rude. Given the line of Melanie's gaze, it's clear which "she" she's referring to. "She was v-v-very brave," you say, honestly. And she was. The memory of the girls in the bathroom scoffing at Lucille's willingness to put herself between the wolves and her classmates still fills you with a quiet indignation. "I'm sure she d-doesn't blame you." In no small part because, as of the last time she spoke to you, Lucille was too busy blaming herself. Then, hesitantly, "Did...s-someone t-tell you you need to look out f-for her?"

For a moment, Melanie doesn't respond; you wonder if she's just distracted or if she deliberately ignored your question. But a few seconds pass, and then, as if snapped out of her melancholy - or perhaps simply because she has to push through the doors leading into the West Wing - the aseri stammers, "Oh, u-um...my parents. My s-sisters serve Apaloft, o-one way or another, so..." she trails off, awkwardly waving her hand a little, as if suggesting that the conclusion is easy to spell out.

"I-I see," you reply politely, the two of you making your way up the stairs to the dorms. You have a vague understanding of what's going on, at least. One of Melanie's sister is a Caldran mercenary under the Llyneyth warband, the other is the quartermaster for Apaloft's armies in Elspar. Even to you - unpracticed in the finer points of politics - you can at least understand the idea that Melanie's family may want to position her close to another member of House Celestia.

If nothing else, Melanie and Lucille seem close. How much, though - or at least so you wonder - did Melanie have a say in this?

"Th-The two of you seem close, though," you point out, trying to sound encouraging.

Of course, what you really manage to accomplish is making Melanie look shocked as she swivels her head at you, her ears perking up in alarm and her tail suddenly twitching this way and that in agitation. Of course, this makes her nearly trip on the top of the stairs, and you panic a little as you try to arrest her fall; Melanie catches herself instead of sprawling across the second floor carpet, although this does nothing for her composure. "D-D-Do I?" she squeaks, looking a little horrified. "A-Am I too familiar w-with Lady Celestia?"

"N-No, I don't..." you start, waving your hands in front of you in a gesture of denial. But then you realize that's really what it amounts to, denial. Gathering your wits, you slowly - hesitantly - note, "I...d-don't think it's a bad thing?"

Melanie smooths out her hair and clothes as she recovers from her nearly tripping over the top of the staircase. "I'm...n-not supposed to," she finally allows, the two of you moving down the hallway again towards Lucille's room.

You nod quietly, not entirely sure how to react to what seems to be Melanie's rigid sense of propriety. It takes walking down one stretch of the corridor and turning the corner before you quietly point out, "But I th-think she likes your company."

The white-haired aseri fidgets at this. She seems to be in thought, perhaps contemplating how to best reply to you, but any such reply disappears into the aether as the two of your reach Lucille's room, noticing that the door is already open a crack, as if someone has thrown it shut behind them without making sure it latched. You exchange a glance, and you let Melanie take the lead as she cautiously eases the door open, calling out before she enters, "Lady Celestia...?"

There is no answer at first, but as Melanie quietly slips in, the white-haired aseri is abruptly struck by an elf-sized projectile of tears and flying brunette hair. Melanie staggers back, but she keeps her footing even as Lucille bodily hugs her, burying her face in Melanie's shoulder. You can tell, even from this distance, that she's shaking in Melanie's tentative embrace.

"L-L-Lady Celestia?" Melanie stammers in shock, flailing and blushing and squeaking at the same time.

For the moment, however, Lucille is intent on simply holding tight onto Melanie and burying her face into the latter's shoulder. Or chest. It's hard to tell from this angle, and the shock isn't exactly helping. "It's my fault!" she sobs, cringing in Melanie's hug. Or perhaps it was less of a hug and simply how her arms ended up when Lucille barreled into her. "If it wasn't for me, Glenda and Sadie wouldn't be dead, and Erin wouldn't be leaving!"

Melanie blinks, and - for just a moment - she seems surprised enough to at least formulate intelligible words with her lips. "Erin's...l-leaving? D-Didn't Headmistress Rastangard t-talk to her?"

Lucille sniffs audibly. "She's going home tomorrow."

Stiffening a little, Melanie makes to turn around, murmuring, "I-I'll go talk to h-her..."

But Melanie barely completed a half turn when Lucille's hands cling onto her tighter, as if trying to stop her from leaving. "No," she whispers, "please, don't. Please..."

It is at this point that you realize - with Melanie's body turned slightly away - you can see Lucille's tear-stained face through the gap in the door. And it is also at this point that she realizes you are standing behind Melanie, frozen in place by these startling events. For a moment - with a fidgeting Melanie standing helplessly in between you - the two of you exchange disbelieving - and, frankly, embarrassed stares.

"Oh," Lucille finally mumbles after a moment, and she finally lets go of Melanie as she wipes away her tears with her sleeve. Not the moment elegant of gestures, but under the circumstances, it's hard to blame her. "Hello, Neianne." The elf still sounds down, but at least she sounds like she's making an effort to sound as welcoming as possible. Again, difficult to blame her, given the circumstances.

"L-Lady Ce..." you start stuttering, but manage to correct a moment later, "...Lucille." Helplessly looking around awkwardly - as if looking for escape paths down the hallway - you quietly squeak, "Sh-Should I come back l-later...?"

"No, no," Lucille is quick to say between hiccups, "don't, please." She makes a face. "I'm sorry. Do you...want to sit down?"

"Is it...o-okay?"

"Yes, of course," Lucille nods, opening the door wider to admit you inside.

You're not actually sure things are alright, but it's hard to say no now. It doesn't take long for the three of you to settle down in Lucille's room - this time she remembers to close the door - as you and Melanie take the seats while Lucille sits on her bed, hugging her pillow.

None of which, of course, helps the awkward silence that pervades the room for several very long, uncomfortable moments as Lucille works the last sniffs out of her system, leaving you and Melanie as helpless, silent observers.

BGM: Kimi no Na Wa - Theme of Mitsuha

The awkwardness seems almost ready to reach a boiling point when Lucille finally asks in a quiet voice, "So...are you going home?"

It takes you a moment to realize you're the one being addressed. "Y-Yes," you hurriedly stammer. Then, upon realizing what Lucille really means, you splutter, "I-I-I mean, o-only during the summer b-break! I'll come back after!"

For what it's worth, Lucille does look a little relieved at this clarification. "Where do you come from?"

"Do you mean...wh-where I was born? Or where m-my family lives now?"

"What about both?"

"I was b-born in Thionval, and I lived there u-until I was five. Th-Then we moved to Caelon."

"What were they like?" asks Lucille; she actually seems genuinely interested, which surprises you...but also not really. It does seem like a very Lucille-like thing to do.

"I...d-don't remember much about Th-Thionval. But it was...l-larger. In terms of, um, s-space. Everything in villages and towns and c-cities are a bit...c-clustered together. But the commune had m-much more empty space. H-Houses were further from each other. There wasn't much, b-but all of us had more room. M-My parents tell me that dryads prefer more p-privacy."

"Really? I thought we have enough space ourselves. Did that make things difficult when you moved to Caelon?"

"A little. B-But I was young, so it was e-easier for me to adapt. I...think it was a bit more d-difficult for my parents. They kept th-thinking our neighbors were peeking in through our windows."

This makes Lucille smile a little. "Is that why you're so shy? Because everyone kept getting closer to you than you were used to?"

"I-I was always like th-this!" you insist, blushing a little. "And I'm not th-that shy! I think!"

Smiling a bit more, Lucille asks, "Do you miss Thionval?"

"I...m-might've, when we first moved. M-Maybe. But Caelon was...e-exciting." Even now, you remember the sense of wonder you felt as a young child, even if it seems so silly compared to where you are now. "Before, I would only s-see an elven traveler or an a-aseri merchant perhaps once every season. Suddenly, I-I had elven, aseri, a-and human neighbors, just living next door. And it s-stopped feeling strange that their hair was n-naked."

Lucille's eyes widen a little, as if caught by surprise. Melanie, for her part, makes a squeaking sound that is very similar to a high-pitched "um", her hands going up to her hair reflexively.

Looking between Lucille and Melanie, your face rapidly colors. "I j-j-just meant the l-l-leaves! Hair l-l-leaves and fl-flowers! You d-don't have them!"

Lucille looks between the two of you, and for the first time since you've entered her room - for the briefest moment - breaks out into an unconflicted smile as she giggles into her pillow. Your face burns even brighter, but Melanie gives you an oddly grateful look from over Lucille's bowed head.

"That's amazing!" laughs Lucille uncontrollably, kicking her feet as she does so. "So you spent several years thinking Caldrans like us were all lewd!"

"I-It was only for a few months!" you insist, your eyes squeezing shut in embarrassment. "A-A-And I didn't think it was l-lewd!"

Lucille grins. "Oh, so it's true that being naked is normal for dryads?"

"Th-Th-That's not what...n-naked doesn't mean..." You look over at Melanie for assistance, but she seems to be blushing too hard to string any words intelligibly together in her defense, never mind yours.

It takes a while for Lucille to master her giggling, even as she says, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to tease you too much. It just sounded really funny." Her laughter finally dies die and she smiles a little guiltily. "Don't be mad."

"I'm not mad," you pout. Which is different from mad.

The conversation eventually turns to Lucille and Melanie instead, and it's convenient that both of them share a hometown of Arkenvale, the capital of the region of Apaloft. Lucille does most of the talking - or perhaps all of the talking, save for a few confirming noises from Melanie when she's mentioned - and although she's not as cheerful as she usually is, the elven lady of House Celestia does seem like she has stabilized into better spirits than she was when you first entered the room.

You've only been to Arkenvale once - you were eight at the time, to the best of your memory - and to a small, young, impressionable dryad, it seemed grand and perhaps more than a little intimidating, with its great walls and rows of houses and giant structures. It was certainly far more imposing than your commune of Thioval and your village of Caelon. And Lucille's own stories about her hometown seem to reinforce these memories. Through the recounting of her experiences, you get the feeling that the elven lady doesn't actually leave her hometown and the surrounding areas very often, but that doesn't stop her from having seemingly inexhaustible stories of her childhood, many of them glowing and exciting. It is, in ways, quite different from the picture Wendy painted.

"Maybe Arkenvale isn't quite as grand as Stengard or Valrein or Wynholm," concludes Lucille easily, as if not particularly shy about conceding this point, "but it's prettier. And the people friendlier. They're warm and engaging and friendly and..." she trails off, doubtless trying to think of an adjective she hasn't used already, especially not "friendly".

Thinking about Wendy, you offer, "Where f-five people have six opinions?"

Lucille smiles at that. "Mostly about shoes." Then, looking over to the other roomguest who has yet to speak any particularly lengthy sentence ever since all of you say down, the elf adds, "Have you ever seen Melanie in heels? She looks really pretty."

Her face coloring with embarrassment, Melanie weakly protests, "L-Lady Celestia...!"

"It's not my fault you have such nice long legs."

Curling her legs together and hugging them almost protectively - it's clear she doesn't take compliments well, but she probably doesn't realize it only makes her slender legs look prettier, and you have to shyly look way to not blush - the aseri tries to stammer a denial,"I-I don't..."

Melanie isn't getting very far, especially as hard as she's blushing, so you try to dive in for a save as you ask the aseri a more innocent question. "A-Aren't you also from Arkenvale?"

Melanie picks up on the cue and quickly collects herself as she answers, "Y-Yes."

"Wh-What do you think of it?"

"Oh, I...a-agree with Lady Celestia."

Lucille rolls her eyes a little, but she somehow doesn't make it seem like a sarcastic or condescending expression. "You agree with me on everything!" she exclaims, her tone tinged with mock frustration.

Melanie fidgets, as if realizing she's caught in an awkward spot. "B-But you're right," she squeaks quietly.

"You're the only one who believes that," shrugs Lucille, her tone surprisingly casual and matter-of-fact, as if she's talking about the weather. "Everyone knows I'm actually an idiot."

"Th-That's not true!" protests Melanie, this time with a mild hint of distress in her tone. "Your tutor gave you g-glowing remarks before you came here!"

"Because you spent weeks tutoring me. I think we both know I'm just holding you back."

Melanie's face suddenly shifts into something approximating that of a frown - it's hard to tell with her sometimes - and there's a bit more conviction in her voice as she quietly repeats, "That's not true."

Lucille shifts uncomfortably, and there is an awkward lull in the conversation, one that stretches on for more than it really should before you decide to intervene once again, quickly stammering, "W-Wendy is also from A-Arkenvale."

From the corner of your vision, you can see Melanie's eyes narrowing upon mention of Wendy's name, and you instantly regret bringing the subject up. For her part, though, Lucille is polite enough to remark, "Is she, now?"

You nod, cautiously clarifying, "I th-think she comes from the...l-less friendly neighborhoods."

"Yeah," Lucille nods, and there's something in her expression that's complicated. Sympathy? Or perhaps resignation? "Arkenvale has those too. Just like everywhere else."

"H-Have you seen them?"

"Of course I have. I mean, my family did their best to stop me, but," the elf smirks, "what can I say? I'm a mischievous girl, sneaking out into the cities and farmlands with Melanie in tow." That's a bit of a surprise - you wouldn't have expected a lady of House Celestia to have visited the slums herself - but the way she concludes the sentence suggests these escapades - at least for Lucille - are fond memories.

Melanie probably remembers thinks differently because she fidgets and murmurs, "I-It was very dangerous."

"Not really?" shrugs Lucille. "I mean, that's how we met Ashlyn, right?"

That's an interesting detail. You have always thought that Lucille befriended Ashlyn during their time at the academy, but it seems like they've met long before that. Although speaking of the rural farm girl in question... "I-Is she staying?" you ask.

"Ashlyn? Yes, thank the Spring. I don't know what I'd do if she left too."

You nod politely. "And w-will you be s-staying, Lady Ce...Lucille?"

The further quiet that greets you - combined with a nervous look from Melanie to Lucille - tells you that maybe this isn't the best question to ask. But although her expression turns a bit somber, Lucille's awkwardness transforms into a casual, almost resigned air as she answers, "Well, yeah, of course I'm staying. I have to."

"You...h-have to?"

"Of course I do," Lucille mutters with a tone of clear reluctance. "Even if my aunt wouldn't murder me, even if my mother wouldn't murder me..." it's a little concerning how it seems like Lucille feels like her mother is the one more likely to murder her, "...it...would be a horrible look for a Celestia to abandon the academy because of...this."

You nod quietly, giving the conversation a moment of quiet out of thoughtfulness and consideration. Then you ask, "But...d-do you want to be here?"

Lucille visibly hesitates. That hesitation lasts first for three seconds, then five seconds, then ten seconds, lapsing into uncomfortable silence as awkward looks are shared among the three of you, as Lucille clearly struggles to answer "yes" or even "no". Somewhere in the back of your head, it occurs to you that Lucille has never really struck you as the kind of person who you would have thought would train as a Caldran mercenary. Certainly, in a way, there are others like her - Mia comes to mind, although Lucille isn't quite as loud - in that they are friendly with pretty much everyone, almost in a guileless, unprejudiced, uncomplicated sort of way. There's nothing calculated or elegant or poised about her amicability. But Lucille is the only one among them who has a claim to one of the great bloodlines of Caldrein, along with all the responsibilities that it entails. And when you really give it a moment of consideration, you can't really help but feel that Lucille is so obviously misplaced here, with neither the personality nor the temperament or the will to really want to be here.

You are almost about ready to apologize for even asking the question with Melanie speaks up: "Do you want to l-leave?"

Mercifully, Lucille seems to outwardly relax for a moment, immediately replying, "No, I don't."

Quietly, when Lucille seems a bit distracted, you and Melanie exchange relieved smiles.

For just a bit longer, the three of you exchange further smalltalk, at least until it's time for dinner. You go to the Great Hall together, although when you actually get there, the three of you wave your goodbyes as you sit with your respective squads.

Although you suppose that's only true for two of your number. Your squad has already settled onto a table, eating their meals, and greet you when you sit down beside Stephanie; as you do so, you give a furtive glance in the direction of Lucille, who sits at a lonely table occupied by only one other. Erin is here for dinner tonight, eating slowly out of her plate, and Lucille with her, but for how much longer? Two of their squad died in the Squirrel attack, and now Erin is leaving too. Soon - at least until apprentices are shuffled around to make up for the losses - Lucille will be on her own.

Try as you might, you suppose that sometimes, there just isn't a happy ending.

Belatedly, as you lie in bed and drift off in the general direction of sleep, it occurs to you that if Melanie is right, that displays of familiarity between her and Lucille are improper; then clearly no one has bothered to inform the latter.

Part 4 should be short, and will lead to the last update of Arc 1. It's only taken two bloody years.

Heheee, that naked hair bit was amusing, and yet again brought that wyvern incident to mind.
That write-in's going to be a landmark in this story won't it.
Lucille...If I had the chance to advise her I'd reccomend daggers as a secondary choice- I'm betting she'd be the sort to understand what a dagger in the right place could do!
Sadly if this is brought up in-verse it'll probably be out of Zabanya'd mouth and tainted by that feared reputation of hers...Perhaps Siglinde would be the better/could phrase it in an acceptable manner.

"Oh. D-Do you want to talk about it?"

Again, Melanie takes a moment to think. "I th-think I shall hold for now," she gives a small awkward smile. "Th-Thank you."
Sorry Neianne, Melanie's already talked to one member of your squad. *laughs*

"Th-The two of you seem close, though," you point out, trying to sound encouraging.

Of course, what you really manage to accomplish is making Melanie look shocked as she swivels her head at you, her ears perking up in alarm and her tail suddenly twitching this way and that in agitation. Of course, this makes her nearly trip on the top of the stairs, and you panic a little as you try to arrest her fall; Melanie catches herself instead of sprawling herself across the second floor carpet, although this does nothing for her composure. "D-D-Do I?" she squeaks, looking a little horrified. "A-Am I too familiar w-with Lady Celestia?"
mildly redundant

And if you are, she'd probably tell you.

There is no answer at first, but as Melanie quietly slips in, the white-haired aseri is abruptly struck by an elf-sized projectile of tears and flying brunette hair. Melanie staggers back, but she keeps her footing even as Lucille bodily hugs her, burying her face in Melanie's shoulder. You can tell, even from this distance, that she's shaking in Melanie's tentative embrace.

"L-L-Lady Celestia?" Melanie stammers in shock, flailing and blushing and squeaking at the same time.
*blinks*

I'm not sure if it's a point in her favor or against that I could never in a million years picture Sieglinde or Elizabeth like that.

It is at this point that you realize - with Melanie's body turned slightly away - you can see Lucille's tear-stained face through the gap in the door. And it is also at this point that she realizes you are standing behind Melanie, frozen in place by these startling events. For a moment - with a fidgeting Melanie standing helplessly in between you - the two of you exchange disbelieving - and, frankly, embarrassed stares.
*waves* Hi! It's us, your fourth wall observers!

For what it's worth, Lucille does look a little relieved at this clarification. "Where do you come from?"

"Do you mean...wh-where I was born? Or where m-my family lives now?"

"What about both?"

"I was b-born in Thionval, and I lived there u-until I was five. Th-Then we moved to Caelon."
(Meanwhile, in Lucille Quest...)

"FINALLY, we're going to get some backstory on Neianne. Maybe that'll make up for as much of a shitshow this has been recently"
"I'm telling, there's nothing special about her"
"Oh, come off it. After how awesome she's consistently been? And the squad of Super Speshul people she's on? We also got hints there's something hinky going on Stephanie. I'm telling you, Neianne's got some super dark secret or something."

This makes Lucille smile a little. "Is that why you're so shy? Because everyone kept getting closer to you than you were used to?"

"I-I was always like th-this!" you insist, blushing a little. "And I'm not th-that shy! I think!"
Some day, Neianne will not be so easy to tease.

Today is not that day.

Lucille looks between the two of you, and for the first time since you've entered her room - for the briefest moment - breaks out into an unconflicted smile as giggles at you into her pillow.
and...or something weird happened her in general

"That's amazing!" laughs Lucille uncontrollably, kicking her feet as she does so. "So you spent several years thinking Caldrans like us were all lewd!"

"I-It was only for a few months!" you insist, your eyes squeezing shut in embarrassment. "A-A-And I didn't think it was l-lewd!"

Lucille grins. "Oh, so it's true that being naked is normal for dryads?"
Yes! And they still have to work their way up to handholding from there!

Lucille smiles at that. "Mostly about shoes." Then, looking over to the other roomguest who has yet to speak any particularly lengthy sentence ever since all of you say down, the elf adds, "Have you ever seen Melanie in heels? She looks really pretty."

Her face coloring with embarrassment, Melanie weakly protests, "L-Lady Celestia...!"

"It's not my fault you have such nice long legs."

Curling her legs together and hugging them almost protectively - it's clear she doesn't take compliments well, but she probably doesn't realize it only makes her slender legs look prettier, and you have to shyly look way to not blush - the aseri tries to stammer a denial,"I-I don't..."
No fair, Melanie's already taller, Neianne's the one who needs the heels!

But Lucille is the only one among them who has a claim to one of the great bloodlines of Caldrein, along with all the responsibilities that it entails. And when you really give it a moment of consideration, you can't really help but feel that Lucille is so obviously misplaced here, with neither the personality nor the temperament or the will to really want to be here.
*coughs* Well, if it makes you feel any better, it's likely not going to be one of the great bloodlines for much longer!

Belatedly, as you lie in bed and drift off in the general direction of sleep, it occurs to you that if Melanie is right, that displays of familiarity between her and Lucille are improper; then clearly no one has bothered to inform the latter.
Oh no it is Melanie who is going to be in the love triangle while we watch in horrified fascination on the outside

1.19.4 At the End of the Academic Year (Part 4)
The days turn to weeks, and then after several of them, it's suddenly the end of the year.

"Soon, you will return to your respective homes," echoes Headmistress Rastangard's voice across whitestone, standing at the front of the hall before tables of apprentices gathered at the Great Hall for dinner. "You will take with you the scars from what we have suffered at the hands of the enemy, of injuries healed and losses irreplaceable. So too will you take with you the spirit of the Caldran mercenary, of centuries of history and tradition, valor and sacrifice; that you may embody the best of our people, wherever you go."

The end of the academic year, of course, marking nearly nine months since you first stepped through the gates of the academy on that picturesque Apaloftian day. Nearly nine months since you first started to train as a Caldran mercenary apprentices. Nearly nine months since you've made friends, rivals, and comrades. Time certainly does fly, and the shy dryad village girl has suddenly become...well, a slightly less shy dryad village girl with a buster sword.

Seated at your table and looking solemnly in the direction of the headmistress, giving her last speech at the last dinner of the academic year, you understand you're not a Caldran mercenary - not yet - but you're a third of the way there.

"And when you return home," Rastangard continues, her voice quiet but somehow still carrying across the chamber, "you will return to your family, your neighbors, and your community. You will act as an example of Caldran excellence, and in them will you find a moment of peace and comfort. But as you reunite with your families and seat yourself at the dinner table, so too must you remember those families who will spend the rest of their lives with an empty seat at their table, whose young perished far away before their time." She pauses as she gives the apprentices - you children, many of who have never before seen death in so gruesome a manner until the Squirrel attack - a solemn moment. Most quietly bow their heads or hold their contemplative silence. A few - mostly those who have lost squadmates - shed their tears. "And so they are laid to rest, both from whence they came and here in your hearts, a reminder of why you fight, why you must fight harder, and that you must cherish what you have now, what you must protect."

You, too, think about what has been lost and what you could lose. The war is still far from Apaloft, but for how much longer? Already, news from the front report that Tenereian reinforcements have advanced from Wynholm, that - despite the harassment and sabotage and attacks launched by the Caldran mercenaries - the Caldran battle lines in the countryside surrounding Halissen have collapsed, and that the defenders have retreated behind the city walls.

A treacherous thought creeps into your head: You have not yet even stepped onto the battlefield, but how much more might you lose?

In spite of the array of delicious foods before you - a sendoff from the kitchens - your unwelcome thoughts sour your appetite as it gives the headmistress' concluding words an almost sarcastic bent: "Enjoy your meal."

Farewells are shared in the evening and the morning after; the skies are clear, promising journeys home unimpeded by unfavorable weather. Farewells and hugs are exchanged, with the knowledge that all of you - you who have forged bonds with blood and steel - will be back in just a few months, fighting the good fight. Several carriages arrived days ago to pick up their noble charges. Others will be hitching rides on farm wagons until they get home. Some will simply walk and hope fair skies hold.

You, for your part, will be returning to Caelon, where you'll finally see your parents and your little sister again, eat your father's meals, and wake up in a familiar bed. The thought alone fills you with anticipation, even if the journey back to Caelon will take a few days, and you'll need to find out what to do over the next few months before the second academic year starts.

But rather unexpectedly, part of your vacation plans have already been made for you. Because as it soon turns out, you'll be spending part of your vacation with...

[x] ...Azalea Cherilyn Charmaine.
[x] ...Elizabeth Irivich Zabanya.
[x] ...Lucille Lorraine Celestia.
[x] ...Melanie Aster.
[x] ...Sieglinde Corrina Ravenhill.
[x] ...Stephanie.
[x] ...Vesna Rainer.
[x] ...Wendy.

For the record, the above list is chosen from your squad, characters with whom you've directly chosen to spend time with in votes, and/or characters with whom you didn't directly vote for but whom for one reason or another you've spent plenty of time with. Basically the people you're close enough with to spend some vacation time together. If I'm missing anyone, or if you think I should've included someone else, please tell me and I'll consider it.

Thus ends 1.19. "1.20 Summer Vacation", the last chapter of Arc 1, will probably be long and divided into parts, so we'll just take another few months to actually finish it.

...You know, when I said I wanted to take a break from "Stand and Watch Them Fall" to do something shorter, lighter, and a little less effort-intensive, this was not an outcome I had in mind. x_x

Back