Of Demigods and Wrackspurts (PJO/HP - Luna Lovegood)

Chapter 16: The Titan Of Foresight - Part 1 New
Surprise POV

Hero.

Has their ever ever been a more complicated word?

One definition refers to figures idolized by others for their courage and nobility of character.

But it had an older meaning too.

One used by the ancient Greeks to describe a warrior with special strength and abilities - often of divine heritage, but not always.

Hercules, the first Perseus and Hector.

Atalanta and Hippolyta.

A thousand, thousand, thousand more, rising and waning over the millennia like an inexorable tide.

As a general rule, Quintus - or Daedalus, as he always was behind his myriad faces no matter how much he could come to loathe that simple truth at times - despised both kinds equally and avoided them all like a plague.

Why ever would he not?

The former were a subjective ideal, and the latter often were, despite the fairytales, mortal men and women who had been no more noble than he ever was.

Bravery in the face of beasts and gods, but arrogance and hubris and fate returning them to earth and crushing anyone unfortunate enough to be in their vicinity beneath the weight of their mistakes, regrets, and failures.

Heroes of any variety meant trouble, and staying far removed from them and their affairs was simply good sense.

That, he's known for millennia.

So it was darkly ironic that the one time he decides to ignore his own good sense - the one time he chooses to linger behind to satiate his own damned curiosity for the first time in centuries and inadvertently involves himself in the affairs of heroes - a quest, no less - matters spiral out of control so thoroughly that he came face to face with a god, a titan, and no less than seven heroes in quick succession.

How wonderful.

"Ah, Daedalus." Prometheus smiled in greeting as he caught sight of him, unbothered by his visible dislike. "What an unexpected pleasure."

He wasn't surprised that the titan of Foresight could see him for who he was behind this relatively recent automaton body, but he was far from pleased.

He especially disliked the way the blonde-haired and familiarly gray-eyed Annabeth Chase snapped her gaze to him, stunned disbelief and blossoming recognition grew on her face.

And there went that ruse, over before it even began.

He resisted the urge to scowl - His siblings were always so irritatingly quick-witted.

"Though perhaps I really shouldn't have been surprised. From what I've heard, you do so rarely leave your Labyrinth these days. Quite a shame, that."

"I prefer not to be hounded by the divine." Daedalus smiled unpleasantly - a feat he'd perfected into an art form. "Titans and gods alike, and your faction has been gratingly insistent these last few years."

To that, Prometheus actually shrugged.

"Guilty."

"What exactly is this?" Percy Jackson whispered to Annabeth, his sword drawn at the ready. The effort to be subtle was a waste - his words carried over in the tense silence just fine.

"You're guess is as good as mine." Thalia Grace answered, white-knuckling the shaft of her spear and keeping her eyes fixed unerringly on Prometheus.

The victory of the demigods had been strangled in its infancy. They'd barely had a minute to celebrate their reunion - and he knew finding one another in the Labyrinth warranted nothing less - before the titan had shown his face and doused their growing joy with a wave of cold dread.

He could sympathize, truly - immortals seldom had any understanding of tact - though he'd have much preferred to be able to do that from a distance.

"He's here for us, I imagine."

It didn't surprise him to see Luna Lovegood stepping up forward, deliberately placing herself between Prometheus and the carefully retreating demigods.

The titan didn't miss the movement for what it was, and he chuckled lowly.

"You make my intentions sound so sinister, daughter of Thanatos."

He didn't deny it, though.

"But have I mistaken them?"

"Technically, no."

All the demigods tensed.

"However," Prometheus raised his hands up in what was likely intended to be a pacifying gesture. "I truly do believe that listening to what I have to say is in all of our best interests. More so yours than mine, even."

"And that is all this is? A conversation."

"To begin with, yes."

Left unsaid was what would happen should the conversation not go Prometheus's way - given that the demigods were exhausted and nothing was stopping the titan from rounding them all up, Daedalus himself included...

"Wonderful."

Prometheus blinked in surprise when Luna smiled, the abrupt response and the sudden gesture bewildering.

"Then we should do this the right way, should we not?

And before anyone could ask what that was supposed to mean, Luna had already turned to Daedulus next, and spoken in perfect Attic Greek.

"Lord of the Labyrinth, I request hospitality within your domain on behalf of myself and my companions."

Ah.

Daedalus couldn't help it. He snorted at the look of stunned surprise on Prometheus's face.

He knew what her game was.

Xenia.

The ritualized right of hospitality - an olden practice where travelers could call upon the hospitality of a host and receive protection by their hearth and shelter within their home for as long as they showed proper respect and decorum.

It was a practice that traced its descent from the earlier days of Titan rule - a more civilized bastardization of their diplomatic practices, coined when they rose to rule the earth as the primordials withdrew from this plane long enough that their lesser children dared to make something of the world beneath them.

His lips curled up into a smile.

"Granted."

In truth, it was just a formality. It wasn't binding, and there was no true power behind it. Daedalus himself was not defenseless, certainly not within the walls of the Labyrinth - the maze was often one with his very soul - but he could not best a titan who knew what to expect of him.

However...

If Prometheus wanted to speak to the demigods as he so claimed without ruining the pleasant facade he was trying to lull them over with, then he'd have to play along.

And since one could not rightly speak to a guest without acknowledging the presence of their host-

Daedalus's smile grew more pronounced.

Prometheus would have to request the same right from him to put him on equal footing with Luna and the rest of her quest mates.

The notion of this irritating titan bowing to him, no matter how ultimately meaningless the gesture in the end, was something he found satisfying in a vindictively petty way.

The armies of Kronos had been after him for nearly as long as the Titan King had begun to stir in force, and here was one of their greatest commanders humbling himself before him - he'd take whatever victory he could, and the time to think while this little charade played out didn't hurt at all.

"I see..." Prometheus sighed - likely recognising exactly why Daedalus had played along - but he nodded all the same. "I too, request hospitality from the lord of the Labyrinth."

The words rang out in the same nigh-extinct dialect that Luna had used.

"Granted."

Daedalus answered with relish - and then the daughter of Thanatos flipped the script again.

"In order to uphold the sanctity of this communion, I exercise my right as the humblest party and request the invocation of a patron," Luna said, and Prometheus stilled. "Unless the lord of the Labyrinth denies me his blessing?"

Said lord of the Labyrinth - and wasn't that an ill-fitting title in truth - resisted the urge to stare in wary surprise.

To invoke a patron was to alter the rules of the game - inviting a third party who would oversee this ritual would also introduce real, substantial stakes.

The presence of a chosen patron was intended to ensure that each member of this agreement played their role and did not overstep their bounds - the host could not infringe or coerce his guests beyond their due, and the guests could not abuse their privileges under the host's protection.

If Daedalus - as the host - agreed to allow the girl to invoke a patron, neither he nor Prometheus could act against her and hers without insulting the sanctity of ritual and insulting the patron in turn.

The duty of punishment would then fall to the patron, for both the violation of the rules and the offence done to them in consequence.

Clever.

Very clever, in fact, because there was little doubt on who exactly Luna Lovegood would call down to

Her father.

The threat of Thanatos's mere presence was an effective one, Daedalus could see that much in Prometheus's narrowed eyes.

He wasn't unaffected by it, either, but the odds were stacked on his end.

Daedalus was protected both as host, and by the laws preventing Thanatos from reaping the living.

He lost nothing here, not even the scraps of his anonymity given that Luna's father was apparently already well aware of him.

While he disliked the notion that death was constantly aware of him regardless of the body he took - to say the least - the idea of death being consciously aware of him at all times, he didn't dare risk turning that apparent ambivalence to Daedalus's constant evasion of him into active malice by denying his daughter a protection so easily given.

Not when he'd proven just how much she was worth to him than the average demigod was to their divine parent - he had taken a corporeal form for the first time in millennia to protect once already, and against the Olympians at that.

No, he would not be inviting that wrath onto himself.

There was stupid, there was suicidal, and then there was unnecessary suicidal stupidity, and this was very much that.

"I have no objection."

At his nod, Luna smiled.

Something in him tensed at that smile - there was something about it that was off, a kind of muted, grim satisfaction that he could immediately tell was uncharacteristic of the girl.

He watched as she raised her arm up, pointing the tip of her stygian spear heavenward.

"Permission has been granted." She announced with finality, and inhaled "I now invoke my patron."

Daedalus suddenly felt a terrible flash of foreboding, but those silvery eyes snapped open and it was already too late to do anything.

"I call on my Grandfather, Erebus, the all-consuming Darkness!"

No.

The situation wasn't what he'd feared.

It was so much worse.

Accursed moirai was it worse!

Across from him, Prometheus became stone. The demigods froze on instinct. The mortal Apollo - and what did it say of all of this, that he'd forgotten the fallen god in their midst? - nearly collapsed to his knees in horror.

Daedalus's body was still in a way flesh and blood could never be. Every gear and mechanism locked into place from the sheer force of his dread. Even the oil in his false veins seemed to harden into sludge.

A beat passed.

And then another.

And another.

The apprehension in the air, thick and clogging, did not abate one bit.

Surely he wouldn't answer.

The thought had scarcely graced his mind before the presence crashed down on them like the wrath of a god-

No.

Not like a god.

This was so much greater than a mere god.

The air grew cold enough for breaths to mist. The light in the room dimmed until it was no greater than the nearest, most pitiful sputtering ember of a dying flame.

Around them, the shadows abruptly become more, lengthening and deepening and opening up to a blackness more complete and all-devouring than anything he could have ever wanted to imagine, and then they grew beyond even that.

Before their very eyes, the abyss awoke... and all of them felt it as something within stared out.

"Woah." Nico Di Angelo whispered, eyes going glassy in awe. "I... I can feel that."

He raised his hand and stumbled towards the umbral inkiness as if to reach out and touch it.

Daedulus closed his eyes to the sight, solely in order to better resist the urge to scream.

Please, for the love of all that is good and sane, someone move the idiotic child far away from the manifestation of the primordial Darkness before he kills them all.

"Nico, love." Luna Lovegood - and curse the day he ever learned that name. He'd rather face that vengeful wraith of a ghost king a hundred times over than be anywhere near this nightmare - "Come here."

The boy hesitated, as if unwilling to pull away. Behind Luna, his sister twitched and made an aborted movement towards him before the dog at her side bit into the hem of her pants and began furiously dragging her back behind the cowering Ophiotaurus.

None of them dared make a noise through any of this - an instinct written into their very souls roaring at them to keep their silence or risk annihilation.

"Nico," Luna repeated, taking a very careful step forward. "Come. Here. Now."

Slowly, with clear reluctance, the boy pulled back and marched over to Luna. He wrapped his arms around her waist and buried his face in her shirt,

"My grandfather has accepted my plea." How the girl spoke so levelly after what she'd just done, he could not fathom. "Now let's all play by the rules, lest we offend him and disturb him from his slumber."

"He's not awake?" Annabeth whispered, voice strangled and on the edge of hysteria. Daedalus didn't blame her for leaning into the son of Poseidon's hold and hanging on with all the strength she could muster.

His body was metal and magic, and yet even he was on the edge of collapse.

In response, Luna smiled.

That expression, too, was a little unhinged.

"He's only partially aware of us. We're too small to take up all his attention, Annabeth. If grandfather was awake in full, you'd know." She exhaled lightly. "Everyone would know."

"Luna Lovegood," Prometheus said, and it was the first time he'd spoken in minutes.

Gone was the carefully genial tenor he'd used before. In its place was only somber wariness and careful calculation.

"What an odd, dangerous creature you are."

Luna tilted her head pensively. "I'll take that as a compliment."

"I certainly wouldn't be insulting you so lightly." The titan chuckled humorlessly. "Well, Daedalus? As the host, you must provide the food and drink to commence this affair."

Yes.

He should, shouldn't he?

With cold numbness still weighing him down - lest the terror overwhelm his mind - he lifted his hands and willed the Labyrinth to respond to his desire.

Before them, the stone floor rumbled, before it bubbled and parted like the surface of a lake. An elaborate dining table rose from beneath the liquid-like stone, laden with plates of assorted sandwiches, fruits, drinks, and a tray of ambrosia along with a decanter of nectar.

"Sit and take part in the blessings of my table."

No one argued - no one dared to.

The demigods - barring the barely conscious huntress who remained with the beasts watching over her - made to take their seats at Luna's firm nod, trusting her not to lead them astray.

Prometheus and Daedalus took theirs at either end of the table, and the abyss around them seeped closer.

Like it was listening in.

"Well, then."

Silver eyes narrowed.

"Let's begin."

Daedalus's mood this entire chapter:

View: https://imgur.com/wyvxiQq

Prometheus at the beginning, thinking he's got the demigods exactly where he wants them:

View: https://imgur.com/c6Vr1VX

Luna with her finger hovering over the self-destruct button, daring Prometheus to make a move, because fuck today!:

View: https://imgur.com/gFYTNCt

Next Chapter: Politics.

As always, leave your comments and ideas and if you don't like it, please be courteous.

Last edited:
Back