Naruto: The Outsider's Resolve

!! UPLOAD SCHEDULE ¡¡ [Votes can't be changed]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
CH_8.4 (269)
The meetings with the ANBU-nin were held in a tent inside the temporary base built by the main forces. The rest of the team had already completed their interviews with the ANBU duo in the time Takuma was out. According to Kameko, they questioned them about their time infiltrating the city, their contact with and discovery of the ROOT team, and details about their raid to capture the ROOT agent.

"What's the mood?" Takuma asked Kameko as they walked to the location.

"Stressful," Kameko pursed her lips.

"Oh? Are they hounding?" Takuma asked with a frown. He needed to decide if he was in a mood to cooperate, and if they were rude to his team, they would find him difficult to talk to.

"No, nothing like that. They were relatively civil. Sure, some questions were rude and felt judgemental, but there was nothing antagonistic about the meeting... It's just that the way they conducted it all made it feel more like an interrogation rather than a voluntary sit-down, and the fact that they're from the ANBU department made me nervous."

Takuma hummed, wondering if it was a tactic.

Interrogators could go two routes: establish a positive rapport with the subject so they would feel comfortable sharing information or at least get comfortable enough that they would let something slip information they otherwise wouldn't have volunteered—and the other route was to put pressure on the subject so that they fessed up information willingly to relieve themselves from any suspicion of wrongdoing.

"Masks?" he asked.

"Masks," she nodded.

The tent was at the edge of the base. Few people were nearby because it was in the opposite direction of the city and near the personal tents of the jonin, which were generally avoided. It was an ideal position for working without disturbance.

"Do you want me to come with you?" asked Kameko. The ANBU-nin had no authority over them and thus couldn't order them around; the meeting itself was a voluntary commitment. She could come in with Takuma, and they couldn't kick her out if they wanted to question him.

"I'll be fine. Thank you," said Takuma.

"Okay... I'll see you later."

Takuma saw her off and entered the tent to find a man and woman with masks talking to each other. They stopped speaking when he pulled the tent flap and looked at him. They were sitting on either side of a table, and the man sitting in front got up and greeted him.

"Genin Takuma, you're finally here. We have been waiting for you."

The male ANBU-nin didn't have silver hair and was too tall to be a 14-year-old, which meant he was neither Kakashi nor Itachi, and Takuma was disappointed because he had 'dirt' on those two he could use during the conversation to get his way. The female ANBU-nin was a brunette with flat, straight hair passing a little below the shoulders, making her a complete mystery.

He could only recall one female ANBU-nin whose name would eluded him even if someone dangled him off a balcony.

"I see, so let's make this quick," said Takuma.

"Are you busy?" asked the woman.

"Not at all," said Takuma as he sat down with a wince. "I'm just not in the mood to talk."

"Ah yes, your teammate... Our condolences," she said.

Takuma nodded. "I hear that you've been asking the team questions about our mission."

"Just some due diligence," said the man as he sat beside his partner behind the table.

"I don't believe I will have different answers from my teammates," said Takuma.

"Neither do we," said the man as he opened a notepad, "but we think you'll have more answers. Chunin Mitarashi tells us that you operated mostly independently for the duration of this mission. Your experience differs from your team's. Thus, you'll be able to give us additional insight into why a ROOT team was here in the Land of Hot Waters."

"The Hidden Frost hired them to aid in gaining control over the city and eventually convert it over their side, thus permanently altering the two nations' shared border," Takuma answered. "From what I understand, the ROOT as a group followed Shimura Danzo after he was declared a rogue and excommunicated from the village. It's obvious that they're now operating as an independent mercenary organisation to sustain themselves now that they don't have the village's support."

The two ANBU-nin stared at him. Their masks hid their faces, and their body language didn't betray anything. However, the momentary silence in the tent signified that they didn't think Takuma knew that much. Not much was known about ROOT to the general public; they were considered true secrets in the world of shinobi.

Even after the debacle, the administration just couldn't drop their pants to let everyone see their dirty underwear. ROOT was disclosed as a small group of shinobi under Danzo's leadership—but the truth was that they were big. Takuma didn't know how big they were, but he suspected they were smaller than the ANBU department but still comparable to their size.

The intel packet the team had received after their initial report didn't say much about ROOT and was simply described as an outfit of dangerous shinobi highly trained in the art of espionage. The team was advised to be careful and ordered to capture the agents—and other than some surface-level background information, they weren't given much to work with.

"...How do you know the Hidden Frost hired them?" asked the woman.

"The information came from a Hidden Frost chunin who, upon interrogation, informed me that the ROOT team had been advising their jonin on how to manage the city. The ROOT team were behind continuing the relationship between the farmers outside the city and the redirection of crops to the Land of Frost, which spread their influence outside the city; they artificially restricted basic amenities like food, water, and electricity to exert their control over the city folk; they supported the city's criminal element, who helped them after receiving more power over the city, and managed to befriend Yu's wealthy and powerful people, who controlled the jobs that the common folk needed to survive."

According to Aranai, if not for ROOT, the Frost jonin would've imposed a much harsher dictatorship over the city, which would've ruined any hope of true willing conversion. However, going the ROOT's way allowed them to profit from the city while slowly chipping away at their will to rebel.

"This chunin you mention... Aranai, if I'm not wrong," said the man, looking over the notes. "You interrogated him and a genin named Ryoya alone. They were the source of information you sent to the main force as they prepared to invade the city. How did you choose these two?"

"Aranai was in a unique position of being part of the city's drug trade. He had made himself into the dealer for his fellow shinobi and was even funnelling them into the Land of Frost to earn profits. That made him more visible than other Frost shinobi. He was a chunin, which increased his chances of knowing more. As for Ryoya, we didn't target him specifically; we aimed for other shinobi; he was just the one we got."

Takuma and the team didn't know who would be showing up on the day they had abducted Aranai and Ryoya. Chinatsu suggested Aranai bring one of his subordinates, but there was no guarantee he would follow her suggestion since there was a real chance of Aranai bringing a jonin to impress his superiors.

"You worked in the Leaf Military Police Force as part of their Narcotics Taskforce before this," the woman nodded as she read what seemed to be Takuma's record. "I believed that influenced your choice."

Takuma nonchalantly shrugged. "Our initial plan was to disrupt the enemy's relationship with the criminal element they were supporting by damaging the trust between the two parties. The decision to kidnap Aranai came later; we were fortunate."

The conversation naturally led to Takuma's interrogation methods, and the more he spoke, the fewer questions they asked about the subject of his methods. Takuma himself realised how much work he had put into getting what he wanted—just listening to it made him never want to do it again. That was a job for three, at least two people. It was a miracle he hadn't started hallucinating in the middle of it from sleep deprivation.

"Just listening to it makes me feel exhausted," said the man

"I'd like to talk about these posters of yours." The female ANBU put one of Takuma's wanted posters on the table. "According to your team, these posters were allegedly made by the ROOT team. How do you think they identified you?"

"I believe you would know more about that than me," said Takuma.

"Pardon?"

"Oh, please. I don't believe for a second that you don't know about my past," Takuma smiled flatly at the pair. "I want to know more about the assassination attempt on my life back home. To be honest, I don't know much, if anything, about that harrowing part of my life. If you want to know more, I would appreciate it if you shed light on that very personal incident."

To this day, Takuma was visited by the ghosts of the night he almost died in the place he considered his home. The problem was that he barely knew anything about the incident. He had suspicions and theories, but there was nothing concrete supporting them. This was his chance to get some legitimate answers.

"I'm not sure what you mean, Takuma," said the woman. "Yes, we are aware of the attack on your life, but that case went to the Police Force. It never reached our department, so unfortunately, while we understand where you're coming from, we don't have anything that could help you."

Takuma looked at both of them. Their masks bothered them because he couldn't tell what they were thinking. He also didn't know they would spill their bag of secrets just because he asked politely, but it also pissed him off because he was not in the mood to play games.

"Listen, I'm not asking for something dangerous. I just want to know who was behind me having to learn to walk again," Takuma asked again. "I helped capture a ROOT agent. I scratched your back. It'd be nice if you scratched mine."

"I'm sorry, Takuma, but we truly don't have that information," the Woman said, sounding genuinely sorry.

He didn't trust that sentence one bit. Unlike most shinobi who were simply for-hire mercenaries, the two in front didn't take contracts from those willing to pay. They were state spies who worked for the Leaf shinobi administration and handled matters of national security. Keeping secrets was part of their job; information was power, and giving information away often meant losing power.

"Alright, I understand. It can't be helped if you don't know," Takuma half-raised his hands and leaned back into his chair.

"Thank you for understanding," the woman said with a smile in her voice. "Let's return to the question. Why do you think the ROOT squad was able to recognise you so quickly?"

"I don't know," Takuma shook his head.

"I'm sure you must've given it some thought."

"Not really."

"Any guesses," asked the man.

Takuma pretended to think for a moment before shaking his head.

"I'm sorry, nothing comes to mind," he replied.

The ANBU duo weren't stupid and quickly caught on to the fact that Takuma had shut down the conversation from his end. Their refusal to answer his questions had caused him to reciprocate in kind. It was petty, but neither side owed the other anything, which made what Takuma was doing perfectly justified.

"Genin Takuma, we advise you to cooperate. Your team leader and jonin-in-command won't be happy when they find that you refused to help us by answering our questions," said the man.

"Oh, I think my team already helped you plenty by capturing and killing those ROOT agents. I think my superiors will say that you need to be satisfied with what you have and not be greedy," Takuma said, unafraid of their intimidation attempts. "And here's what I'm going to do. I know the names of people from the Hidden Frost connected to the ROOT agents, which could lead to who hired them and maybe even a way to contact them. I was going to mention all of it in my official report, but you know what?" He snapped his fingers. "O-Oh, I-I can't seem to remember those names anymore. Aww, shucks! I guess I'll be unable to put them on my report."

Aranai's position as the drug provider had given him the reputation and clout which allowed him to sit down with many people, including other chunin and jonin. He knew that regular reports were sent back to the Hidden Frost village, which included updates from and about the ROOT squad. Takuma had managed to get the names of the people sitting in the Hidden Steam village, and boy, those were some big names.

The information packet he had sent back to Camp Banana before the invasion only contained relevant information about the presence of enemy shinobi in the city. He had deemed all the other information he had extracted irrelevant in the context of the city's recapture. That decision now paid unforeseen dividends, as he was the only source of information the ANBU duo wanted.

"You're risking national security, Genin Takuma. This could get you in very deep trouble. I would again advise you to cooperate with us on this matter," the woman said.

"It's a two-way street. Tell me what I want to know, and I'll give you what you want," Takuma said flatly. He understood the risk and decided that he wanted more information, and that this was his best and only chance—he didn't see how he would get what he wanted any other way.

He even considered that the ANBU duo honestly didn't know anything—which was thoroughly unlikely—but if it were true, then his act of withholding his information would be enough motivation for them to get what he asked and trade it with him.

A silence settled in the tent as neither side budged. They could hear the distant sounds of miscellaneous activity around the camp base. Takuma had presented his position and thus didn't speak, whereas the ANBU duo's stance was that they didn't know and saying anything resembling negotiation would contradict their stance.

Takuma stood up after a minute of silence from both sides.

"Please only contact me when you have changed your mind. Don't bother otherwise," he said before leaving the tent.

The moment he stepped outside, all strength left his body and he felt the beginnings of a 'normal' headache creeping up the back of his head. Sitting in that tent with two ANBU-nin was stressful, and the only things keeping him coasting was his stubbornness, his desire for information, and a measure of anger.

He kept walking, waiting for them to call him back, but they never did. Even though he didn't expect them to call him back, as though he was a customer who was walking away after haggling, he nevertheless held hope they would. With each step, he resisted looking back until he was too far and even started to think that he should've made himself useful by cooperating and then trying to fish for information after they liked him.

'Fuck me,' he thought—this was going to torture him for a while.

———

Fortunately, Takuma didn't have to torture himself for long. The next day, Toridasu called him up after the meeting with ANBU. The meeting was in Toridasu's office tent, and the ANBU duo, along with Anko, were already present when Takuma arrived.

"You called for me, sir?" Takuma asked Toridasu.

"The ANBU says that you're refusing to cooperate and holding back information. Is that true?" Toridasu sat behind his desk, fully leaning into his chair as he fanned himself with a hand-fan. He looked deadpan, but there was a glint of amusement hidden in his eyes.

Takuma glanced at the masked ANBU standing in the corner. This was nothing out of expectations; he had expected them to use his superiors to pressure him into giving in to their demands, but he expected them to go through Anko first before approaching Toridasu.

"... I'm sorry, sir, I'm confused. I went to the voluntary meeting with the ANBU-nin and cooperated with them. I don't know why they feel I didn't cooperate with them," Takuma lied through his teeth. He could've sounded more offended and expressed more emotion, but he had a good feel for the situation.

"Genin Takuma, please don't embarrass yourself. Yesterday, you stated that you have information pertaining to the connection between the ROOT and Hidden Steam. By holding that back, you're colluding with the enemy. I'm sure I don't need to tell you what that means," said the man.

Before Takuma could reply, Anko interjected on his behalf.

"That's a heavy accusation, do you have proof?" she said in a full-on serious tone.

"He confessed to both of us yesterday," said the woman.

Once again, Takuma tried to speak to deny their words but was cut off by Toridasu, and he surprised him.

"And we're supposed to take your word for it?" Toridasu said to the two ANBU-nin. "You're accusing one of the shinobi in my company of having committed a grave crime. You better have something to prove your claims, or I'll have to reconsider how you spend time here in my camp."

Takuma kept his face straight, but he was internally surprised. Toridasu didn't like Anko and had kept their team idle by not allowing them to take any meaningful missions until Takuma joined them. Even then, his dislike of her had given the signal to the rest of the camp that she held no favour, and they had been excluded from joint training activities.

Takuma had somehow gotten the team their assignments for the Gojiro gold mine operation, where they had proven themselves, which had led to the precursor mission. They had achieved everything without any favours. Sure, Tordiasu had praised him for taking out the Frost jonin, but he did not expect him to stand up for him in front of the ANBU. Takuma expected that he would've to bear the pressure from Toridasu if he wanted to get what he wanted.

"As his team leader, I trust Takuma implicitly. I'll vouch for him," said Anko.

Takuma nodded to her but couldn't meet her eye. Their relationship had been rocky since the banquet hall explosion. Rikku's death had made them put the disagreement aside, but they really hadn't talked about it. Her stating her trust in him in front of ANBU meant a lot to Takuma.

Takuma turned to ANBU and slightly tilted his head. "Why would you lie?" he asked.

Despite their masks, the ANBU looked visibly frustrated and irritated.

"You'd believe him instead of us?" the man asked Toridasu.

"Between you—you masked liars—and one of my own men who completed an impossibly tough mission— of course, I would believe him. Why would you think otherwise?" Toridasu tone was a strange combination of faux-flabbergasted mixed with mocking. "Do you have proof that he's lying?"

Of course, they didn't have proof.

It was literally their words against his, and in just as many situations, they would've believed them over him. This particular situation falling to Takuma's side was partially because Toridasu was a jonin and had the position and authority to be not scared of ANBU (though many jonin would've folded and not taken the risk), and partially, he wanted to exert his power and influence over the two masked shinobi.

"Well?" Toridasu urged them.

"No," said the man.

"Then get out of here."

There was a moment of silence before the ANBU walked out of the tent and gave Takuma the side eye as they walked past him. He stared back at them and even turned back to watch them leave the tent. When he turned back, he saw Toridasu reading a file.

"Hmm?" Toridasu looked up at him and Anko with confusion. "What? I said get out."

"Not to us," Anko rolled her eyes as she began to leave.

Takuma bowed his head and followed after her, but before he could leave, Toridasu spoke to him.

"Whatever you're doing, don't let it reach me because I will not help you."

Takuma looked back and saw that Toridasu was still reading the file on his desk. He didn't think that he would fool him; it was always a matter of trying his luck with the jonin's personality. His gambit had paid off, but he understood that Toridasu would not put his finger on the line, much less his neck, for him.

"Yes, sir."

Toridasu hummed without looking up.

Outside the tent, the ANBU duo were waiting for him. He turned to Anko, who nodded. After nodding back, he walked to them alone.

"What is your plan, Genin Takuma?" asked the woman.

"It's the same as yesterday. You help me; I help you," Takuma stared into her eyes and spoke calmly.

"We don't appreciate forced negotiations," said the man.

"All negotiations are forced," he said back. "And if you don't want to, you can always back away. You already have the ROOT agent in your custody. It's reasonable to think that he'll be able to provide you with more than I can. You don't need me..."

And with that, he had put the ball in their hands. It was completely true that he wasn't needed. He was rendered useless if they could extract the information from the ROOT agent. The question was if they could accomplish that; what if they weren't able to break the ROOT agent, or if he fed them false information, or if he somehow managed to kill himself before they got the information?

He was also aware of Yamanaka's existence, but they weren't all-powerful; people had figured out how to keep secrets even from the feared mind readers. Ignoring all of that, the more important question was whether putting so much effort into breaking a trained ROOT agent was worth it when they had another source of information who was willing to talk and spare them the effort. He was experienced with interrogations, so he knew that they 100% wanted to avoid any and all interrogations if they could get information in some other, easier way.

Finally, it also planted a seed in the ANBU duo's minds. Even if they rejected him now, he was always there waiting for them to come knocking. He wanted his answers immediately, but he was willing to wait. It was his Plan B.

"You underestimate us. We just might do that and make you obsolete."

"And I'll be betting against it," Takuma smiled. "I wouldn't have been confident if we were back home, but we are not. You and I are far away from home; the only difference is that I've been away for longer, and thus am more comfortable. Understand that we are in a war zone. I might be here for another few weeks or so before I'm shipped off elsewhere, where I might die... so my humble suggestion would be to fulfil my insignificant demands so you can return home with additional peace of mind."

He smiled and then simply walked away from them after having said his piece, but another thought formed in his mind that made him stop and turn to them one last time.

"The leader escaped." A bitter expression briefly surfaced on his face as he thought about Kon; his blood boiled at the mere memory. "I see a scenario where he might get in contact with the rest of his rogue mates, and who knows, they might send someone over to clean up. The longer you have that agent out here in foreign lands, the more likely it is that he doesn't make it back. I'm not telling you how to do your job, but you might want to get him back as quickly as possible before his friends come visiting."

It annoyed him greatly that he couldn't see their faces. He could very well be missing all of his shots to get the information now. But he had to be confident in himself because who else would be?

"I'll see around," he said with a faint smile before turning away.

His smile immediately slipped as he sighed. It was tough because he was making moves against someone he had no idea about. He was trying to deal with a group of people who were feared across the lands, and he had no real safety net in case things went wrong.

However, Takuma put that in the back of his mind as he faced something more important and urgent.

"Can we talk?" he asked.

Anko stared at him for a moment before nodding.

"We should talk."

NEW FANART

AARROW

CANADIAN MONGOOSE

Want to read ahead of schedule? Head over to Patreón [fictiononlyreader]. Link here and in signature.
Note: All the chapters will eventually be posted on public forums.

CH_8.5 (270)
Takuma and Anko left the camp and headed towards the city walls. Their conversation opened with a discussion about the ANBU despite recognising the true topic of discussion, but both internally thought it better to gradually lean into the tense subject.

"What are you trying to do now?" she asked.

"I want answers about the assassination attempt on me, I want to know ROOT's involvement, and I want to know about Kon. ANBU is the only place I'm most likely to get those answers. And I know they have my answers; it's a matter of if I can get them to share with me," he replied.

"Kon," she said. There was no question or any specific tone in her voice, but the implication was clear.

"... I think he's the link between the assassination attempt and Yu. Those posters were his work. I don't have proof, but it has to be him. I have to know more about the man who has now tried to kill me multiple times." The matter of revenge for Rikku's death was left unsaid. He didn't look Anko in the eye, and she fortunately did not push in that direction, but there was a mutual understanding that Rikku was part of the motivation for Takuma to find out more about Kon.

"Do you have what they want? Or is this an ill-planned scheme?"

"I have enough."

As he had said to the ANBU, they could probably find what he knew and more from the captured ROOT agent, but they could give them what he knew much easier. They could use the information he gave to assist them in their agent's interrogation or directly take action based on it.

"I never told you or mentioned it in the packet we sent back because it wasn't relevant," Takuma regretted his words the moment he spoke them. It sounded like a justification for yet another thing he had done wrong.

"I understand. Information is power," said Anko.

"No, I didn't mean it that way..." He sighed exasperatedly, frustrated with himself. He truly had excluded it because it wasn't relevant. He also didn't think he would be negotiating with ANBU until the moment they had asked to meet with him, but now it seemed that it was his plan all along. "Whatever... I just want to get some answers, and this is my chance to get them.

"How're you doing?" he asked her.

Anko narrowed her eyes and pursed her lips. "I'll be fine; it's nothing new for me. It's never going to be easy if that's what you're wondering, but you'll learn to deal with it. Just make sure that it's healthy. I have seen several people who go about it the wrong way."

"Like?"

"The pain comes from losing someone you cared about. For some people, the solution they find easiest is to stop caring. They shut themselves off from other people by building a cocoon around themselves so they don't get hurt when they inevitably lose yet another someone... It works, though—it changes people— but it works," Anko looked far into the distance beyond the destroyed portion of the wall. "But you don't want that. It gets lonely in that cocoon. What's life when you can't share your joy with others and celebrate their happiness with them—it's a miserable life; that's what it is. Also, you know... it's tough to bear the burdens of life alone; you will need people to help you if you want to continue being a shinobi."

"Are you talking from experience?"

Anko chuckled with a brief smile. "There are more reasons to build that cocoon. Fortunately, cocoons aren't that strong, and people can break through before it becomes too thick and rigid."

He guessed that it had something to do with her experience with Orochimaru. Perhaps a betrayal so profound that she lost her ability to trust? As he thought that, Takuma felt a weight in his abdomen. His situation with Anko was also trust-related and even though it sounded like she was recovered, experiences like that left behind permanent changes in people. He worried if it was too late.

"My teacher said to take it one day at a time," said Takuma, recalling Maruboshi's words after his C-rank mission in the Land of Frost.

"Sounds difficult and miserable. I would much rather get drunk and get laid."

Takuma laughed and agreed with her words. It was difficult and not at all enjoyable.

A comfortable silence settled between the two as they observed the burnt and broken wall. Takuma took a silent breath as a string of fear tickled his heart. When he had first seen the city wall, it had given him the impression of an immovable, indestructible object which had remained standing to protect the city in the world of humanoid weapons of mass destruction—but now, as he saw a massive portion of it in shambles, all done by a single old man he knew, it strengthened the dangers of the world.

He was no longer the weak, pathetic little runt and had grown strong enough to gain the ability to protect himself time and time again, and yet he was still not safe when looking at what shinobi were capable of. He was reminded that he had no time to stop; he had to keep moving forward, or he would be crushed without a choice.

"Man, he's strong," Takuma said in awe.

"He is," Anko nodded grudgingly. "It's absolutely infuriating. I would've slapped the shit out of his bald head if he wasn't so strong."

The tension in his body from being called into Toridasu's office to confront the ANBU duo left his body as he talked and laughed with Anko, but it returned again when Anko drove right into the main discussion—nay, she crashed through into the topic.

"You shouldn't have blown up that banquet hall," she said.

He had thought about what he had done in length, and in doing that, he had tried to justify his actions. "I... saw the opportunity and took it. There was a jonin missing in the enemy forces because of me," he said.

"What about the civilians you killed?"

"Those traitors deserved it."

"That wasn't your decision to make, and I'm not talking about them; I'm talking about the workers and staff that you sacrificed," Anko said in a harder voice. "Did they deserve it?"

Takuma looked down at the floor, scared of finding the look on her face. Anko had a deep frown with tight expressions that softened when he refused to meet her eye.

"You don't think you did anything wrong, do you?" she said with a sigh.

"... I didn't think about them when I was planning it," Takuma said after staying silent for a moment. "I was too focused on that jonin and what it would mean for the battle... I was angry because Motohiro and others had been captured because of Gyon. I had two Hidden Frost shinobi in my captive, so I knew what was most probably happening to Motohiro—and they had nothing they could give to stop the torture. I blamed myself for it." Hoshiguro was the only one who knew his location, and he had gone down because of his health. No one could've led the Hidden Frost to him, which meant that everyone the enemy captured for information was bound to suffer without any chance of relief.

He continued, "I only realised what I was about to do when I was washing dishes in the back and saw them working in a hurry so that the people in the hall could enjoy their time. But it was too late to stop by then. I was too close. The jonin was a room away... I had to go through it." He had made the easy choice to ignore them.

Takuma exhaled deeply as he thought back to the moment and his memory of it was pretending to wash dishes. His clone was the one to execute the blast, so he didn't know what he would've felt in the moment—which only made it worse because the imagination of his mind made everything much worse. A dance troop was performing in the hall when the explosive tags went off, killing all of them—he had seen them briefly when they had arrived at the hall before the party—and his mind spurned horrifying images based on that brief moment he had seen them.

"I c-can't think about them anymore," Takuma said, his voice hoarse. "The more I think about them, the worse I feel. I become sick; my mind grows restless, my conscience grows heavy, grimy... I can't do it, I don't want to... I'll destroy myself."

A chaotic panic made his breathing laboured. He stopped and grabbed one of his knees with his good arm as he calmed himself with quick, short breaths. The thoughts of his actions wanted to make him run away, but there was no escaping from what was inside of him.

Anko waited in silence as he calmed himself down. "I'm glad you feel this way," she said.

Takuma looked up at her in shock and disbelief. "What the fuck, Anko!?"

"You are a killer—a murderer," she continued, unfazed, "so am I, a lot of shinobi are. It comes with the job. The important thing is to not become a mindless killer. Lives have value, the lives you took had value, and it'll do you good if you don't ignore them... I blame you for killing those people; I don't like it one bit—but I thought about it, and I honestly don't know what I would've done if you had asked for permission. If you ask me now, I would've refused, but at that moment with the opportunity to kill a jonin... I don't know—it would've been a tough decision.

"It's not my place, butI think it'll help if you hear it from someone else… If it's any easier, I'm telling you to put it behind you," she said and it sounded like an order from a superior officer. "You made a decision that wasn't… I've made plenty of mistakes in my career and I've been punished for them, but I've also been forgiven by others and by myself." She patted him on the back and asked him to stand up straight, "It's easy to say, but move forward. If it truly bothers you, in the soul, then the best move is to forgive yourself… Let it be a lesson to guide your future actions."

Takuma stood up straight with his eyes closed. Her words soothed him, but he knew it was only temporary. He had to confront himself and come to terms with it if he ever wanted to move forward.

"What about when the time comes when I'm ordered to take an innocent life?" asked Takuma. He was a shinobi, a mercenary for hire; there would inevitably come a day when he would have to fulfil the assassination contract posted by someone willing to pay—and the target was someone who didn't deserve to die. What was he supposed to do then?

"The world's unfair," said Anko with a sad look on her face. "I don't know the correct answer to this question—or even what you might want to hear at this moment. You're a shinobi—for all being a shinobi gives you, it takes just as much or even more away. You don't want to do something you don't like? You either stop being a shinobi, or you reach a place where you have the power to refuse. Even then, the chances are you'll do all kinds of things you don't like by the time you reach either of those places."

A Leaf genin signed a ten-year contract the moment they accepted their headband. A fifteen-year extension was part of the chunin promotion. Becoming a jonin meant another twenty-five years in service for the village. This meant, at minimum, a genin could leave the service after ten years, a chunin after twenty-five years, and a jonin after fifty years of minimum service.

Takuma had been a genin for three years, leaving seven more years on his contract.

However, he didn't want to stop being a shinobi.

"There's a third option—death," said Anko with a small smile. "No one can force you to do anything after you're dead."

Takuma stared at her and then burst into laughter that hurt his wounds, but he couldn't stop laughing.

"What?" asked Anko, confused.

"No, it's nothing," Takuma waved as he tried to stop laughing but failed." It's just a stupid joke—you had to be there for it to make sense."

It was funny because it came from Anko. She didn't know that her former teacher would master the technique to make the dead do his bidding. In the future, literally everyone important who had died would be forced to do all sorts of things against their will.

After the laughter subsided, he looked at her seriously and said,

"Hey, if I die, cremate me good, okay? Leave nothing behind."

"... Okay, if that's what you wish," she replied, utterly confused by the sudden change in demeanour.

Takuma nodded and sighed as he watched the city wall. He wasn't anyone important, so the chances of him being brought back from death were negligible, but there being an option bothered him deeply.

"Where did that come from? Any reason you stress it so much," she asked.

"Let's just say it's spiritual. I might not rest peacefully without it."

Want to read ahead of schedule? Head over to Patreón [fictiononlyreader]. Link here and in signature.

CH_8.6 (271)
Another day passed and Takuma once again found himself sitting before the masked ANBU duo in the same tent where he had met them first.

"How's the interrogation going? Got anything good out of him yet?" he asked, knowing it was unlikely.

He would've been beyond impressed if they managed to get the ROOT agent to open up within a day. Unlike the people Takuma had interrogated, the ROOT agent was most definitely trained in resisting torture and interrogation.

"We are ready to meet your demands," said the man.

"Don't put it like that—that makes it seem like I'm sort of a terrorist. This is a simple, honest trade," said Takuma.

"What do you want to know?" asked the woman.

"Who was behind my assassination?" Takuma replied without hesitation, all pretence draining from his face.

"You were targeted by ROOT itself," said the woman. "The bodies of your assassins went missing, but from your official statement and the fact that you made it out alive—we believe that they were trainees and you were assigned to them as a mission. You wouldn't have had a chance if they were genuine ROOT agents."

"Who ordered it? Give me the name of the drug lord?" Takuma asked; he didn't care about the assassins themselves; they were dead. He wanted to know the name of the drug lord who was so threatened by his work at the Narcotics Taskforce that he put a hit out on him.

Once he had a name, he would either kill the bastard in his free time or straight up put a bounty on his head and let someone else do the work.

"There is no drug lord."

"What?" Takuma frowned. "What do you mean there's no drug lord? Who ordered the assassination then?"

"ROOT ordered the assassination. The organisation itself wanted you dead," said the woman.

"I'm sorry, I don't understand," Takuma leaned forward, his brows tightening. "Please explain it to me like I'm five."

"You're correct in assuming the assassination attempt was related to your work in the Narcotics Taskforce. We looked into it, and the farm raid you conducted was the reason behind the assassination. That farm was connected to ROOT as one of their external revenue sources to fund their illegal operations. It seemed they didn't like a mere genin encroaching into their business and decided to send a message. They failed, of course— or maybe they didn't since you no longer work there."

Takuma fell into silence as his mind worked on the information he had received. It wasn't a drug lord, but ROOT itself targeting him. He hadn't thought of that because he didn't think ROOT would be in the drug trade and because he was too unimportant to be targeted.

Apparently not.

"You asked me about the posters with my face on them, right? It has to be Kon's doing. Was he involved in the assassination?"

"ROOT agent, codename: Kon. Real name: unknown—or if he has one. Many ROOT agents are registered because they're technically Leaf shinobi, but Kon wasn't one of them—he was never part of the Leaf shinobi system. However, he's one of the better-known agents due to his involvement in management rather than being a field agent. Last we know, he was in charge of several of ROOT's financial investments."

The woman glanced at her partner, who put a scroll on the table.

"What's that?" asked Takuma.

"That's everything ANBU has on Kon. This is our offer for the trade," said the man. "I'm sure you'd be interested in finding out more about the man who killed your teammate."

Takuma stared at the scroll resting on the table and considered what else he could get out of ANBU. What could they give him that would benefit him the most? He could ask them for an obscene amount of mission points which he could use to improve himself and grow stronger.

If he had been stronger, Rikku would still be alive so mission points made the most sense.

He stared at the scroll, and it stared back. The scene of the hallway in the manor house played in his mind. He felt Rikku's feeble weight against him and saw Kon's elated grin as he stared at him. He closed his eyes as the sludge of emotions pushed through his veins.

"Take it or leave it," said the woman.

"I'll take it," said Takuma, the feeling of anger blowing fires in his chest. He wanted to know everything there was about Kon to one day build an opportunity where he would have the bastard's neck in his grip so he could snap it with a twist. "This is all the information I have. It has names, connections, confirmed facts, theories, snippets—everything the Frost shinobi said is in here."

"We will still want to ask questions," said the man as Takuma set down his own scroll before picking up the one on Kon.

"Sure, I don't mind." Takuma opened the scroll to start reading it.

Across from him, the woman also picked up Takuma's scroll and found it to be completely empty.

"This is empty," she said.

"Yeah, sorry about that; I don't trust you guys," Takuma said. He gave them another scroll and continued to read its contents to see if it was authentic, which it seemed to be. "Now, ask your questions and let's get this over with."

———

The day after Takuma had the meeting, the ANBU duo left with their ROOT agent prisoner. He was surprised because he thought they would ask for at least two more follow-up meetings, but it seemed that they took his warning of putting the agent in danger seriously. He was tired and didn't want to play stressful mind games with the ANBU-nin so that was fine by him.

Takuma didn't even have the motivation to continue reading the scroll about Kon after the first reading—in fact, he didn't want to do anything but lay in his bed. Just when he thought he would have a complete day off, the entire team was summoned to Toridasu's office. There was tension among the team; they thought they were being assigned another team member to fill in the slot left behind by RIkku.

Takuma wasn't sure if they were ready to let someone inside so soon after Rikku's death and whether that person would fit.

"You have until the end of the month to file your mission report," said Toridasu.

"Yes, sir," said Anko, waiting for him to continue. That couldn't be everything he wanted to say because that could've been conveyed through a memo delivered by a genin.

Takuma took a silent, deep breath to calm down his irritation. If he had been pulled out of bed because of this, then he wanted to bash Toridasu's bald skull in.

"Anything else, sir?" asked Anko.

"No, nothing else," said Toridasu as he looked up at the team. "Just that when you're done with that report, all of you will be relieved of your duties... congratulations, you're being sent home."

———

The team spent the next few days drafting their joint and individual mission reports, motivated by the announcement of their return orders. The speed at which they worked was impressive because none of them hadn't thought they would be going home and fully believed that they would be either staying in Yu to defend the city as it was now Camp Banana's new base location or eventually going to help out with the other border cities.

So, when they got the news that they were going back home, they started to work furiously on the report, which wouldn't have seen any work for at least another half-month if they weren't going home. They completed and turned in their reports in three days, an amazing time for a mission as complex as the Yu precursor mission.

"I'm not going to beat around the bush; the Hidden Steam is complaining about what you did," said Toridasu.

Takuma, standing across from his table, stayed silent. He had been called for a private meeting in Toridasu's office a day after they handed in their reports. He was surprised that it had taken so many days for the topic to come up. He had expected it to happen as soon as the Steam shinobi had started talking with the civilians.

"They want me to punish you strictly."

"...I'll take whatever punishment you deem suitable," said Takuma; there was no use arguing for himself—what he had done was deeply wrong.

"I'm not going to punish you, even though I should," said Toridasu. "You can't just blow up so many people from another nation on their home soil and expect not to be treated as a terrorist. I mean, they would've understood if the people you blew up were enemies of the state—but you blew up poor workers."

Takuma simply stood there, ready to take whatever was coming his way.

"I'll take whatever punishment—"

"Did you not hear me?" Toridasu sighed. "You killed a jonin—that was a big contribution. You made the recapture much easier and prevented many casualties during the battle. However, that doesn't mean what you did was right. I'll say it straight so there's no confusion: what you did would levy heavy punishments if Shirakumo was your commanding jonin. He would make sure that you wouldn't be able to leave the Genin Corp for several years—no department would take you in—and because it goes on your record, the chunin would hesitate to take you up for out-of-village missions."

Takuma looked at Toridasu, wanting him to move on to the punishment. The man had said that he wasn't going to punish him, but with Toridasu it could be something else which was just as bad as official punishment.

"But I'm your commanding jonin, so I'm letting it slide. As you're leaving soon, I'm going to make it seem that you and the entire team are being sent away due to your actions—that will make the Hidden Steam happy," said Toridasu and then his expression grew solemn as he continued. "But Genin Takuma—"

Takuma stiffened when he heard his rank along with his name.

"—see that this doesn't happen again. You were lucky that the Hidden Steam recognised your contribution and only demanded that I discipline you. It could've easily gone up the chain of command and every single one of them would've played hot potato with the issue until they would, without doubt, decide that the only solution is to punish the person responsible as harshly as possible. At worst, you could've been sent to the Hidden Steam so they could deal with you according to their laws and your team would pay dearly for your actions—especially Mitarashi. Her career would've screeched to a halt because of her past and the rest would've had rocky futures.

"I'll say this in case you have some idiotic view of things: you can't treat civilians as though their lives don't matter. I've seen plenty of shinobi who believe that, and let me tell you, those guys feel untouchable until they do something they shouldn't have even dreamed about, and it never ends well. Do you understand?"

Takuma nodded, "Yes, sir."

That was all he could say.

CH_8.7 (272)
The time for Team-9 to depart had arrived.

They had seen their goodbyes to everyone the day before and left without fanfare early in the morning the moment the sun rose up on the crisp horizon. A long journey awaited them, so they decided to get out of the Land of Hot Water and enter the Land of Fire as soon as possible.

As they left the city behind, Iori stopped and looked back at the city that was already far in the distance, barely visible on the horizon.The rest stopped and gazed at the city they had spent over two and a half months in. It wasn't a long time, but so much had happened that, in their minds, it felt like ages.

"I didn't like Yu when we lived there," said Iori. "I hate it now because I lost a friend there and never want to come back—even if it's the last remaining city in the world."

"Aye," said Daiki.

The rest also spoke their agreements and then continued on. Takuma was the last to turn away from the city, taking it in a moment longer, not because he would miss it—quite the opposite. Like Iori, he never wanted to return to Yu and couldn't be happier about leaving.

He just feared that it wouldn't leave him even though he was leaving the city.

"Takuma, come on!" Anko yelled for him.

He took a deep breath before turning away but he could still feel it, like a weight in the back of his mind.

For the next two days, fuelled by their anticipation, the team ran from sunrise to sunset as they made their way through the Land of Hot Water, only stopping at towns to rest. They arrived at the border and passed through without real problems, marking the end of the team's journey together.

Standing at an intersection of a major road, the team took in the sights of the Land of Fire for the first time in months. Not everyone's final destination was the Hidden Leaf village, so it was time to go their separate ways.

"I... I technically don't have a home address because I stopped renting before I left," Takuma sighed as he handed paper slips to everyone. "What I do have is a P.O. box that you can send letters to, and if you give me your addresses, I'll send you my new contact details when I get one."

He passed them a notepad and pen, and at the end, everyone had a copy of everyone's addresses and landline numbers.

"Keep in touch. It doesn't matter if you don't have anything to write, just send anything," Iori said as she looked at Takuma and Kameko.

"Why are you looking at us?" said Kameko.

"Because you two seem most likely not to write," Daiki replied.

"I'll write," Takuma promised—and he really meant it.

Friends were hard to come by, both because of his occupation and… himself. As nourishing as they were, friends were an endless black hole when he was already strapped for time in this life. Despite that, Takuma wanted to make time for his friends.

And now, he could count the number of friends he had on two hands—even if it was just barely.

"Unlike him, I do have a home, so if you come to the village, you can stay with me," Kameko said to Iori and Daiki.

Anko knelt on the ground as she rummaged through her backpack to take out a stack of letters. Everyone recognised the letters and stiffened. They were the 'wills' the team had made in case they died during the precursor mission. Everyone except Daiki had left behind several letters addressed to their friends and families.

"We are shinobi, and having a will and letters to loved ones on standby is practical. I suggest you re-write those standby ones when you return home to prepare for an emergency." Anko held up the letters. "These, though, we are going to burn. I was a brand new chunin when I did a dangerous mission. At the end of the mission, the jonin in charge made us burn our letters because we managed to stay alive—it was supposed to be a gesture. That, instead of worrying about death, we should aim to live to the fullest."

She distributed their letters to everyone, which left her with her stack.

"Where's Rikku's?" asked Takuma. Another terrible memory he had thought about a lot resurfaced. He remembered the Frost mission he had done with Iruka. He had to conduct his dead teammate's funerals on the field and collect their belongings so they could be returned to their families.

"With the quartermaster," Anko said quietly. "They're going to make sure her belongings reach her family."

Anko weaved hand seals and created a fire on the side of the road that the team surrounded. Takuma stared at the fire and thought about Anko's words about living to the fullest instead of worrying about death.

His entire time in this world had been a constant struggle for survival and growing stronger so he wouldn't die, but in the last year or so, he had stopped living his life with that mindset. He had been too busy to think about the dangerous future he knew was coming.

He had changed from the scared man he was when he started but was he living his life to the fullest?

No, he didn't think so. He wouldn't be a shinobi if living his life to the fullest was his goal. It was a better goal for sure, but the truth was that he wanted to live long. He wanted to feel safe and secure, and he knew in his heart that he wouldn't feel that way if he was a shinobi working towards growing strong.

Putting himself in danger to make himself safe was a contradiction he had accepted.

As long as he knew the future, he knew he wouldn't slow down to truly enjoy life—his biggest asset was also a curse. He wondered what it would be like when he arrived at the point in the future when he no longer knew what lay ahead. It felt freeing, but it also brought a sense of anxiety, and yet he looked forward to it.

Takuma looked at the letters in his hand, snapped the jute cord holding them together, and then split the stack in half.

"Here," he said as he held the half stack to Daiki.

Daiki gazed at the letters silently for a moment before accepting them with a nod.

"Here," said Iori, who gave a few of her letters to Daiki.

"Here," Anko did the same.

Kameko silently handed him a few of her letters as well.

Daiki looked at everyone as his face twisted with emotion before hiding his face behind the fanned letters. "I miss her," he said as his voice cracked and his shoulders trembled.

"I know," Takuma said as he looked into the fire, "me too."

"To living," Anko said as she chucked her letters into the fire.

"To living," the team replied.

Everyone threw their letters and watched in silence as the flames ate paper and ink, leaving behind the ash of what could've been their last words.

Takuma thought about the symbolism. If he had died, the letters would've lived, but the letters were now dead because he had lived. And if he wanted to continue to live, someone else would have to die.

'She died so you could live,' said the hate-filled voice in his head.

Takuma turned away from the fire and took a deep breath. He shook his head to clear away the thoughts. He wasn't in the right state of mind to think about those things because he knew they would inevitably end in the same destination.

"Alright, let's split up," Anko said after the burning was complete. "I'm going this way; who else is coming with me?"

"But the village is that way," Kameko pointed in another direction.

"I'm going to visit my parents for a week before going back to the village," Anko said with a faint smile. She had talked about them before and how they used to live in the Hidden Leaf village but moved out to somewhere slower a few years back to escape the fast-paced life of the Hidden Leaf.

"I'm going that way," said Iori.

Daiki raised his hand. "Me too."

It was time to say goodbyes and Iori came over to hug Takuma.

"Try to slow down a little, take care of your health, and just don't rush... make some time yourself, yeah?" she said. "I'm going to miss you dearly, so don't forget to write."

Takuma hugged her back and nodded with a smile. "I don't want to buy my own tags anymore. You should move to the Hidden Leaf village and do it for me."

"When you become a jonin, you can hire me. I'll come then."

"Already planning to ride my coattails, huh?"

She grinned. "Hell, yeah. I want that easy life."

"Sure, I'll call you to the village when I become a jonin," Takuma shook his with a wry smile, "so you'd better get really good."

"Deal."

They separated with smiles on their faces, and Takuma walked to Daiki, who put his giant arm around his shoulder as they slowly walked while talking.

"Any plans?" asked Takuma.

"Hunting," Daiki replied. "I miss it."

"Yeah? I like that," Takuma smiled. He missed camping as well and thought about going on a weekend excursion and perhaps going hunting as well.

"There's large wetlands a day and a half from my town. Lots of crocodiles, real big ones. I'm thinking of going there to see if I can hunt the biggest one."

"Damn, I was thinking deer or something, but you're going straight for crocodiles, huh?"

"Deer were fun when I was in the academy, but not anymore. Trying not to get chewed through by half a dozen meaty crocodiles is at least fun."

"Just be careful in case you run into chakra beasts like Anko's snakes."

Daiki hummed in acceptance. "What about you? What does a city boy like you do for fun?"

Takuma rolled his eyes. "To be honest, I don't know... I haven't thought about it. Hang out with friends, have some good food, perhaps a movie or two at the theatre. I'll think about it when I get home," he sighed.

Takuma looked up at Daiki and patted his back. "Thank you for teaching me chakra masking. Next time we meet, I'll show you my progress. Let's go mess with some sensory-nin then."

Daiki laughed. "Now that sounds fun."

Finally, it was Anko's turn, and it was short because she was going to return to the Hidden Leaf village soon.

"Let's have a meal: you, me, and Kameko," she said while giving him a side hug. "Take care of yourself and if you need anything, don't hesitate to call, okay?"

Takuma nodded.

"Great," Anko smiled.

The team split up in two and went their own directions.

Takuma sighed because while he was happy to return home, he was leaving the people he had been with for so long, and who knew when he would next meet Iori and Daiki? He looked at Kameko, and while he was by no means an expert in what she was thinking, even he could tell that she was feeling the same way.

———

Takuma and Kameko's journey through the Land of Fire took three days. Both of them agreed that they were in no mood for sightseeing, so they took the most direct route and only stopped in towns for rest. The scenery, landscape, and weather were different from Land of Hot Waters, and Takuma felt a homesickness he didn't know he was feeling lift.

"I'm proud to be a tree-hugger," Takuma said as he saw the dense amount of trees lining the roads.

He looked at Kameko, expecting her to make a comment, but she acted like she hadn't even heard it.

"You're no fun," he whispered.

"And you aren't funny," Kameko retorted with a snort.

Takuma was about to say something about the irony when he saw something that took his breath away.

"We're here," he gulped.

It wasn't the walls of the original Hidden Leaf village, nor was it the Hokage Mountain. What Takuma saw was a simple farm. Once upon a time, the Hidden Leaf village was located within the walls of the city, but it had long since extended beyond those boundaries in the form of farmland.

Takuma had spent the first year of his shinobi career outside the city working D-rank missions in those farms.

"Let's hurry up," he said and rushed faster with Kameko following up with a similar haste.

Within fifteen minutes, they saw Hokage Mountain with the faces of the four Hokage rising above the horizon. As they drew closer to the village, they started seeing genin dressed in Hidden Leaf colours popping up every now and then. The passersby turned to look at them because they were running fast enough to overtake everyone.

It truly seemed that they were racing against each other, and people who caught their expressions before they zapped past them thought they were having the time of their lives. The village's walls became visible, and before they knew it, Takuma and Kameko stood before the giant green gates of the village with the crimson sigil displayed proudly for all to see. A slice of the Hidden Leaf village peeked between the open gates,like an oasis calling to a parched man trudging through the desert.

It was beautiful.

"We're home," Kameko sighed, her face flushed from the dash to the gates.

Takuma opened his mouth to reply, but his voice cracked. He cleared his throat, gulped, and licked his chapped lip as he tried to think about what to say before uttering a single word choked full of emotion.

"...Yeah."

CH_8.8 (273)
It didn't take much time for Takuma and Kameko to pass through the security check, which was expedited because they were shinobi. It helped that the guards in the guard station didn't ask Takuma any questions after Kameko, who went first, told them that they were returning from the Steam-Frost war.

The two of them stood with the gates behind them, looking at the village as though they were tourists. If it wasn't the height of the day with the sun glaring down, they would have had actual tourists standing with them.

Outside Team-9, they had known each other the longest, but that relationship had essentially been non-existent until the Genin Corp Basic Training when it had turned sour. Neither of them thought they would like the other, but after being on the same team and surviving a dangerous mission, it was tough to dislike the person you trusted to have your back.

A hug would still be awkward, thought Takuma—their relationship didn't really have skinship. He straightened his back and held out his hand. That felt right, he thought when Kameko promptly gripped his hand and shook it a couple of times before letting go.

"I'll see you around, I guess," he said.

"Probably when Anko invites us," she replied.

Takuma chuckled and nodded in agreement. He also couldn't imagine the two of them having a meal alone on their own accord but then he thought about that and said, "Don't think you can't reach out to me if you need something. If I can help, I will— so don't think I won't."

Kameko looked surprised but then nodded with a small smile. "The same goes for you. You know where I live.. It was a decent time serving with you, Takuma," she said and turned to walk away with a single wave of her hand before disappearing.

Takuma glanced at the gates once more before walking into the city. He chose to walk through the streets and take the city in slowly. It felt so different from Yu. It was much more crowded, warmer, and more animated; the atmosphere was one of constant activity. He looked around and knew that the people were bothered and numb to the hubbub of the city.

He, too, was once like them, but after returning to it after such a long time, he enjoyed it. Each step felt like he was rediscovering the Hidden Leaf village. He recognised places from his memories, and they hadn't changed at all because it hadn't been that long, but there were tiny little things that were different, which made everything feel so much more vibrant.

The village was a moving, thriving place, which was a stark contrast to the unstimulating Yu he had just liberated.

Even when he left the busy main streets and entered the quieter residential area, he found himself staring at little things like pamphlets stuck on poles, people's clothes drying on hanging wires the difference in architecture between the two cities, the amount of green that was present in the city due to the abundance of trees.

He got lost in admiring his surroundings and didn't realise where his feet had taken him until he started noticing the potholes in the road, which now felt narrower. The older buildings with degraded paint, and the mess of electrical wires stuck out to him—half of which didn't seem like they were put in by the city—and there bits of garbage on the pavement.

Takuma stopped when he realised where he was and where he was going. He looked at the corner in front of him and knew that he would need two turns to get to the house he had lived in for more than three years—longer if he included the time the boy had lived there after moving out from the orphanage.

He chuckled at the thought that he had walked all the way to his old home purely by habit but then he turned away sharply, as a thought ran through him—he didn't have a home.

Of course he didn't have a home.

He had stopped renting on his own accord. Just a few days earlier, he had given his teammates a P.O. box address because he didn't have a home address—he didn't have a number for calling. But the thought clicked in at that moment, and it felt like the sky was falling.

He didn't have a place to live in the city he could call home.

His heart began to thump harder and sweat began to press against his skin. All those little changes he had seen on his way snowballed, and suddenly, he felt like he didn't recognise the city even though a moment ago, it had felt so familiar. He panted and looked around, and without warning, the shitty neighbourhood he had got so used to living in felt identical to some backstreet he had seen in Yu.

He looked at buildings, and the architecture was identical—even though, in fact, none of it was true. It was simply Takuma's tired mind that hadn't been allowed to rest in the past three months since they had started planning for the precursor mission collapsing under itself.

The moment Takuma allowed himself to relax and let himself feel safe, his mind dumped everything he had accumulated from his time in the Land of Hot Waters. The realisation that he didn't have a home was the first piece of a domino chain, and once Takuma knocked the first piece, there was nothing he could do to stop it.

'I have to get away,' Takuma thought as he slipped into a semi-fugue state. All he wanted to do was run away from everything to somewhere safe where he could sit down and control himself—and to his horror, the first place that came to his mind was the factory base in Yu—the cold, shitty, dust and rust filled, pest infested, abandoned piece of crap that refused to get cleaned no matter how much he tried.

But at that moment, it seemed to be the safest place because no one knew that he lived there. So much so that he didn't even consider that just barely an hour ago, Kameko had said to him—"You know where I live".

His tired and stressed mind couldn't connect anything useful.

He began to heave and hyperventilate as he hugged the wall with his back to ensure no one could get ambush him but then he saw a man step out into the tiny balcony in a corner building—and the moment their eyes met—

—Takuma ran away.

———

Maruboshi Kosuke returned to his humble abode near the edge of the inner city in the evening. The house was older than him, built by his parents, and he had lived there his entire life barring a few years in his teens when he had the desire to live alone.

The sliding door rattled, the floorboards creaked, and the wind chimes sang as the breeze played them. He never fixed the doors and floorboards because they told him if someone other than him was in the house, and the wind chimes were pleasant to his ear. He didn't like being in his home during the day because he felt he was withering away if he stayed inside. Thus, he preferred spending time outside doing anything productive. Fortunately, D-rank missions gave him enough meaningful things to do, helping anywhere that needed him and contributing in his own way.

Today, however, he had been invited by one of the jonin he had known since she was a genin fresh out of the academy. She had asked him to address a new batch of chunin and give them advice for what lay ahead of them. He had received such requests a few times in the past couple of decades, and he wasn't initially comfortable with the request in case he adversely influenced the future of the village.

But he had learned to be thankful for the respect and opportunity and gave his sincere efforts to the youngsters in hopes that it might make their futures even a little bit easier. He smiled when he remembered the faces of a couple of chunin who seemed thoroughly unimpressed in anything he had to say because he was a genin. And, of course, the first question he received was he wasn't a chunin or jonin—which he had to answer in the only way he could—he didn't want to be one, which was apparently something they couldn't comprehend.

Maruboshi took a bath and was about to start preparing his dinner when he heard a knock on his door which puzzled him. He looked at the wall clock in his kitchen, which showed it was already six in the evening, which was already too late for someone to visit him.

As he headed to the front door, he pondered who it might be. He didn't get many guests because he was rarely at his home, so perhaps it was one of the neighbours. He was close to everyone on the streets because he had seen most of them grow up, and maybe one of them wanted his help.

The bell rang again just as he switched into his outdoor slippers, and he responded habitually,

"Coming!"

The front door squeaked as he pushed it open, only for it to stop halfway through because it hit whoever was standing in its path. Maruboshi expected the person to move or at least say something, but there was no response at all. Perplexed by the situation, Maruboshi peered around the door to see a man with his head bowed against his door.

"Excuse... Takuma!"

Maruboshi couldn't recognise him instantly because of the longer, shoulder-length hair covering his face because of his bowed head.

Takuma slowly raised his head, showing his face to Maruboshi, who instantly noticed the new scar on the edge of his lips. But he was utterly shocked when he saw his condition; he was dressed in a simple shirt and pants with a large backpack on his shoulders. He was dirty, covered in it from top to bottom, with leaves and even branches sticking to him. The bandages around his arms and hands were all soiled.

His face was more gaunt than ever before. It was clear he had lost weight, which concerned Maruboshi because Takuma had always been underweight.

"My child, what happened to you?" Maruboshi immediately grabbed his shoulders and looked him over to see if there were any pressing injuries besides the bandaged ones.

"Uhm, mmhm," Takuma tried to speak, but his voice cracked. "So-Sorry, but can I stay with you for the night? I-I don't have a-a place to live anymore. Just one night would—"

Marubsohi quickly and gently shushed him and hugged him to his chest. "Yes, you can stay here," he spoke clearly and explicitly confirmed the request with a pat to Takuma's head, "you can stay here with me for as long as you want. It's okay, you're home now; everything's going to be alright."

He took off Takuma's backpack and guided inside, making sure to hide his worried gaze lest he startle the boy he'd come to see as one of his loved ones.

What had happened out there?

CH_8.9 (274)
The first day was quiet.

Takuma arrived at Maruboshi's house around six and was tucked into a futon by seven after a shower and the re-application of his bandages. The next day, Maruboshi opted to take a break from his usual day-to-day to look after Takuma and waited for him to wake up, but noon passed, and he stayed asleep. Maruboshi didn't disturb his sleep, and when Takuma finally woke up, it was already four in the afternoon.

He had slept for a total of 21 hours without waking up.

Maruboshi served him food and sat at the table with him while he ate—not that he ate much, if anything. Takuma mostly picked at his food, pulling the meat off the fish bones but rarely ever bringing it to his mouth. His head slumped to the side, and he had a hollow, glossed-over look in his eyes that worried Maruboshi, but he didn't say anything.

Not yet.

After fifteen minutes of silence, Takuma finally spoke. "Sensei... I-I'm sorry for showing up here like that," he sniffled, "I don't know what came over me; I just..."

"It's okay," Maruboshi said with a comforting smile. "I'm glad that you came to me."

Takuma nodded with his eyes closed. His face twitched with emotion as they threatened to overflow, and he quickly hid them by raising his head to the ceiling and leaning back into his chair.

He calmed down soon, bowed his head, and returned to poking at the food.

"I promise I was fine when I entered the city. I was hap—happy, but I-I don't know what happened." Takuma closed his eyes. "Everything looked so... different. Out there, I-I...I..."

"It's okay," Maruboshi repeated, "we don't need to talk about it right now." He sensed that Takuma was struggling to articulate himself. "I'll be here when you're ready, so take your time. As I said, you can stay here as long as you want."

Takuma nodded and breathed out, relieving the tension in his stiff shoulder. He looked down at the food in front of him and set down his bowl of rice and chopsticks.

"I don't have an appetite," he said.

Maruboshi wanted him to eat but nodded understandingly. Takuma stood up, bowed to him, and then retired back to his room.

He didn't emerge for the rest of the day.

———

The second day was silent.

Takuma seemed worse than the day before. He never left his room despite Maruboshi's pleas to eat something, even when Maruboshi left food at his door.

The only thing he touched was the bottle of water.

When Maruboshi went to replace the empty bottles, he heard the faint sounds of sobbing beyond the door. It wrenched his heart, but he knew it wasn't time for him to interrupt.

Takuma needed to be ready to talk before he could be there to listen and support him. What he needed right now was normality, and Maruboshi was ready to provide it the moment he put himself together just enough to receive help.

———

The third day finally saw some progress.

Maruboshi rose up early at sunrise and wasn't expecting Takuma to wake up until later, but he was surprised to see him step out of his room just as he was about to sit down for breakfast. He was in the kitchen setting his food on a tray to take it into the living room when he heard footsteps and looked up to see Takuma appear at the doorway.

"Good morning," said Maruboshi with a smile.

"Morning," Takuma replied, looking bleary. His hair was a mess and there were tear streaks on his face that he didn't seem to notice.

"I'm setting up breakfast, so go wash up," said Maruboshi, gently nudging him to do something instead of asking him if he wanted to eat because he felt Takuma might refuse. "You'll find a fresh set of toiletries in a basket inside the washroom. Come back quickly; the food will get cold."

Takuma nodded with a hum and went to the washroom at the speed of a sloth.

Maruboshi waited until he heard the washroom door close and then moved quickly to set up another serving for Takuma. He set everything up on the floor table in the living room and then sat down to wait for Takuma when he noticed the two meals looked similar.

He realised his mistake and went back to the kitchen with Takuma's meal, doubling the quantity, not only because he hadn't eaten in nearly two days but also because Takuma was a youngster with a naturally heavier appetite than an old man like himself.

Takuma returned with a wet towel around his shoulders. His face was now clean, but the look of sad apathy remained as he sat down.

"Dig in," said Maruboshi. He stopped himself from looking at Takuma so as not to make him feel self-conscious.

Takuma lethargically picked up his bowl of rice and chopsticks and ate slowly, taking small bites at first. As he ate, the bites became bigger, and his hands moved faster. For the first time since he had arrived, Takuma looked alive as he scarfed down his food.

By the time Maruboshi had made a quarter of his way through his smaller meal, Takuma had wiped all of his clean.

"Do you want more?" asked Maruboshi with a smile.

Takuma sniffled and shook his head repeatedly as emotions threatened to overflow once again. "I couldn't cook or go out to eat food because it might've attracted suspicion. I ate the same MREs for two months; they weren't good."

Maruboshi knew that Takuma was going on a long mission because his last letter had said that he wouldn't be able to write for a while. He didn't know the details, but from context, it seemed that Takuma was behind enemy lines and had to survive off ready-to-eat meals made for shinobi.

"We ate at inns and restaurants on our way back, but homemade food is different," Takuma said, sniffling, as he raised his bowl of miso soup to his face. "Thank you."

This was a good sign, Maruboshi thought as he nodded. Takuma had opened up on his own without any nudging from him. He considered it good progress for now and decided not to pry. But the meal was over, and he thought that Takuma might shut himself back into his room, so he nudged him to stay in the living room.

"The weather is great today. I'll open these doors up, and you can enjoy the breeze." Maruboshi went to push the sliding doors that opened up to the green garden that had an old persimmon tree, a tomato patch, and a flower bed. On the weekends, he would often sit on the engawa to meditate and gaze at his garden to relax, and he thought it would do Takuma some good.

To his delight, Takuma didn't go back to his room and settled at the edge of the living room. Even though he blankly stared into nothingness, it was better than being in the dark behind closed doors. Maruboshi barely sat inside Takuma's peripheral vision so that he was aware of his presence in case he wanted to talk.

That day, Takuma sat unmoving in the same spot and returned to his room after dinner without saying another word throughout the entire day.

———

On the fourth day, Takuma started the day by taking a bath. He still looked grim, and there was a deep misery in his eyes, but the quickness had returned to his body; the day before, he dragged his feet like a terminally ill person, but now he moved like a shinobi—balanced and light-footed.

In the afternoon, the student and teacher duo sat opposite each other in the living room with cups of tea before them. It was different from yesterday; Takuma hadn't looked at Maruboshi other than to briefly speak throughout the day—but today, they sat facing each other, and he felt that Takuma was ready to talk.

"I'm sorry you had to deal with my behaviour for the past few days," Takuma said as he held his teacup. "I don't know what came over me. I was overwhelmed by... everything." He sighed deeply. "I have been so up my ass that I've disturbed you and caused a ruckus. I'll start looking for a place to live from tomorrow and will be out of your hair as soon as possible."

"Take another week before you start looking. I like the company, and it gives us time to catch up," Maruboshi said and sipped his tea to let a silence separate the topics. "What happened out there, my child?"

Takuma scrunched his face and scratched his head. Maruboshi understood that the prospect of sharing brought pain because it involved reliving the darkest moments of one's life, even if it left one better off for it.

Sharing things helped, but said things often had thorns that would unearth old wounds in the process.

"Did I tell you about the girl?" asked Takuma.

"The little girl from the refugee camp?" Maruboshi recalled one of Takuma's later letters. During the early days, he had sent a letter mentioning an incident on his way to the camp without going into any details, but then, in one of the later letters, he discussed that incident about a refugee camp.

Takuma nodded. "When I tortured the Frost shinobi, I was furious beyond any time in my life. I had this cold rage thrashing through my veins—and I channelled it into the torture and interrogation—I hated those men from the bottom of my heart."

Maruboshi nodded. The sentiment had come through clearly from the letter.

"My mission was to infiltrate an enemy-occupied city and collect information to send back to the main forces. The team also had an additional responsibility to weaken the enemy from the inside to make the ensuing recapture easy."

Maruboshi nodded each time Takuma flicked his gaze up to see if he was still listening.

"These wealthy turncoat scums decided to throw a party, and a few shinobi were invited—there was a jonin and a few chunin, I think. I infiltrated that party as a dishwasher because it seemed like the perfect time to take those shinobi out and really," he stressed, "weaken the enemy." Takuma opened his mouth to speak, but a raw pain writhed across his expression. He closed his eyes and swayed back and forth for a few seconds. "During the party, I created a water clone with explosive tags inside it, and-and..."

Maruboshi wondered whether Takuma's intrusion was wise when he mentioned the jonin and his plan to weaken the enemy—but the moment he mentioned a water clone and explosive tags, a chilly thought flashed through his mind as he precisely understood what Takuma had done.

"... I sent that water clone in and had him blow himself up." Takuma cleared his throat. "It killed everyone. The jonin died, the chunin died, the genin died, the turncoats died.... but the staff died as well." He paused, and all the nervous, twitchy energy went away, leaving him looking as weak as he was the day before. "I became the same as the people I hated... I knew what I was doing, and I still did it... I sacrificed those people to weaken the enemy and… murdered the people I was supposed to be saving."

His heart broke as he looked at Takuma. The child in front of him had done something terrible, and it had left him in a state worse than Maruboshi had seen in a long, long time.

"Oh, dear child... you're not the same as them. Look at you now; you're feeling such pain for what you did. This pain proves that you're different. Don't compare yourself to them."

"Anko said something similar about the pain," said Takuma, "but I still feel the same as them."

"Then you're doing yourself a disservice. It's a normal response to feel as you are, but do not let it bog you down. As shinobi, there are things we must do that our conscience vehemently disagrees with—but those things must be done. Learn from it and then rise better than you were yesterday. That's the only way for you to prevent such a thing from happening again," said Marubsohi, speaking as firmly as he could for his student's benefit.

He also saw that Takuma was sinking, so he immediately tried to change the subject.

"Where did you get that scar, Takuma?" Maruboshi pointed to the side of his own lip.

"Oh, this?" Takuma touched his scar. "A ROOT agent gave it to me."

His mouth almost fell open. "What?"

"A ROOT agent—and he was the same one who ordered my assassination."

CH_8.10 (275)
Maruboshi was stunned silent by the time Takuma was done retelling of events of his mission. He looked at his student, who was staring at the persimmon tree in the garden. Takuma had been targeted by ROOT, and by some bizarre coincidence, he found the agent behind his assassination in the same city he was stationed to reclaim after the assassination attempt.

It made one wonder whether it was really a coincidence. "Takuma... do you think ROOT had a hand in your conscription?"

Takuma looked back from the tree, and he saw thoughts sprinting behind the perpetually tired eyes. "I've got no idea," he said. "It doesn't seem likely because there was no way to guarantee I'd be in that city as part of the mission unless Jonin Toridasu, who assigned the mission, was somehow connected with ROOT. But then, why didn't he get rid of me during the Gojiro Gold Mine operation by making it look like a combat death?"Maruboshi breathed in deeply, using the break in conversation to think things through. Takuma had come to terms with being targeted by ROOT, but Maruboshi had known about it for less than half an hour and was more stressed than his student.

He had been a Leaf shinobi for decades, but because of his position as a genin, he wasn't privy to secrets like ROOT—but knew of them because larger secrets tend to drip out in the form of rumours. He knew they were dangerous—and from the recent revelations, he also knew that ROOT was headed by Shimura Danzo.

Maruboshi knew personally just how dangerous it was, which was why he had to ask.

"Did the letter to Uchiha Mikoto have to do something with ROOT?" he asked.

When Takuma turned to look at him, Maruboshi clenched his feet to restrain any reaction at the glint of cold calculations in his student's eyes. He got the feeling that Takuma was trying to discern if he had read the contents of the letter. But the look disappeared almost instantly, hidden behind the following disappointment and shame.

"I don't want to lie to you," Takuma said as he looked away.

Maruboshi sighed but nodded slowly—he preferred Takuma to be honest with him, even if he couldn't share the things he knew. "That is fine, I understand. But if you ever need help, you must know that you can always come to me."

"I know," Takuma nodded, slowly meeting his eyes with a fond smile.

Maruboshi returned the gesture, but his mind raced. Takuma had just all but confirmed to him that he was somehow part of the entire Uchiha-Danzo-ROOT incident that had shaken the village. It was perhaps the most high-profile incident since Orochimaru's defection, and even that occured soon after the Nine-Tails' rampage.

A deep sense of helplessness overcame him then.

His student had grown into a splendid shinobi but suffered through the loss of loved ones, and now bared a secret he couldn't share, all of which he was unable to help with as much as he wished.

If it were up to him, Takuma would've stayed free of that weight for longer, but now, he was now on a road of his own and an old fossil like him could only provide support when asked to.

"What was she like, your teammate?" Maruboshi asked, wanting Takuma to release more of his sorrow.

"You would've liked her," Takuma said with a hint of the softest smile, the first since he had come to the house. "She was straight as an arrow, and her words were blunt as hammers. It got her into trouble, but it was also her charm. To be able to live with such straightforward convictions was admirable. You could trust her because you knew that she would tell you the bitter truth. I envied her for that. I want to be like her, but I know I can't...."

Maruboshi didn't interrupt and let Takuma continue talking so he would fall deeper into his memories with Rikku, which would undoubtedly be attached to positive emotions that would act as a balm for his aching heart.

"Rikku was our team's backbone. She would ask questions others were embarrassed about asking because they thought it would make them look stupid. She was the only one who could've done that and you need someone like that on your team, you know? For us, she was that person…"

The smile that had developed as he spoke about his teammate suddenly flipped, replaced by a tight frown. A muted rage tugged on his posture, his expression, and pulsed in his dark eyes. Maruboshi was taken aback by the sudden change and warily noticed the hand holding Takuma's empty cup tightening to the point where it would shatter.

The emotion wasn't out of place, but Takuma hadn't shown anger before when he had initially talked about Rikku. There was sorrow and anguish but not anger.

This was new.

"You are angry," he stated.

Takuma exhaled through deep breaths. "That piece of junk killed her while she was trying to protect me... I owe her my life, and if I find that bastard, I'm going to make him suffer. I want him to regret being born. I hope he lives a good, satisfied, and healthy life because it'll mean so much more to me when it ends—and I want to be the one to end it."

Revenge. Maruboshi immediately wanted to dissuade Takuma from pursuing revenge. It was an ugly emotion that destroyed the lives of those in the pursuit of it. His student had potential and a bright career ahead of him; he didn't want it snuffed out by something like revenge.

"A man that seeks revenge keeps his wounds fresh," Maruboshi said solemnly, choosing his words carefully.

The anger in Takuma's eyes flared. "So you're saying that I should just let it go?"

"Yes, I am saying that you should let it go because it would be better for you, but if you can not, then you should not let it become your sole goal. You will become a shell of yourself if you let it consume you. I know it might feel that revenge focuses you, but it will take away everything else that is not essential to the revenge itself, and you'll be left with nothing." said Maruboshi with a sad expression.

A close friend of his had fallen into the pit of revenge, unable to climb out for ages, and when he did, he found there was nothing left in his life as he sacrificed everything to attain his goal.

"Do not make the mistakes so many others have made. Give priority to the things in life that are truly important to you."

Takuma nodded, but Maruboshi could see that he wasn't convinced but that was fine for now. So long as his words stayed in Takuma's mind, there was a chance that they would someday take hold and steer him on the right path.

———

Oishi Taro was one of the many genin analysts working in the Analysis Team of the Hidden Leaf's Intelligence Department. He was at the bottom of the wrung at his place of work, but he enjoyed his job, which involved sifting through the information that passed through his desk to find valuable intel of any sort.

He preferred to spend his days behind a desk in a drab office building than doing physical duties outdoors like many of his peers.

His mother still forced him to train his combat skills, which was something he didn't want to do, but he felt like he had no choice because life couldn't be perfect.

Just like any other day, the clock struck half past one to signal the start of lunchtime. Taro closed the several open information folders and the scrolls on his cluttered desk. Like everyone on the floor, he promptly left the building for the break without looking back. Taro had been extremely busy since he had started the job. He was a green rookie, and it took him twice, even thrice, as long to do the same work as his experienced coworkers. He had spent months staying late after office hours, spent his weekends working, and hadn't had a proper office break just so he could complete his jobs on time and learn how to make his life easier.

And now, he'd finally reached a level where could afford to take breathers. His breaks were left untouched and overtime was a thing of the past. Today, he was meeting with some of Academy classmates to catch-up—something he was able to do now that he longer needed to work through breaks, and that day, he was meeting with some of his academy classmates to catch up.

The location was a quaint diner near his office, and to Taro's delight, there wasn't a rush, which meant he could take his time to eat without feeling the pressure to vacate right after eating.

"Taro, over here!"

He looked across the floor to see Aimi, an academy classmate, enthusiastically waving her hand. He felt exhausted just by looking at the energetic girl. He dragged his feet toward the four-top table where three people were already seated and waiting for him.

"I would pay real money to see you exhausted to the point of crying just once," Taro said as he sat down, and the thought brought a floaty smile to his face.

"I don't like that look on your face," Aimi pouted.

Taro looked past her and greeted his other two ex-classmates. Inuzuka Hana and Takeshi Ono. He was never close to Hana as they were never in the same groups, but he met her through Aimi.

Ono was a close friend; they were practically joined by the hip when they were in the academy, but their paths had diverged since Ono passed the jonin test, whereas he had failed it. They no longer had as much time to hang out with each other.

However, their friendship remained strong regardless.

"You've been working hard," Ono commented with a smile.

"I am. What gave it away?" asked Taro as he stretched his arms above his head.

"The ink stains on your palm. I never thought I would see a day where you'd be willing to pick a pen long enough for it to leave stains."

Taro glanced at his writing hand, and his palm was indeed stained with black ink. Note-taking was an essential part of his job and he went through pens faster than his chain-smoking boss went through packs of cigarettes. He had even started to smell like paper because of his job.

"It's a pain in the butt," Taro scoffed.

"I think you like it," Hana said with a knowing smile.

"Not really," Taro shook his head after thinking about it. The job was tough, and he had to put in so much effort just to become decent at it. He wasn't looking forward to the amount of effort that it would take to become truly good at it.

"Oh, come on. You're Taro—bare minimum is your life motto—and you just admitted to having worked hard. Either they forced you, or you're willingly doing it. Since you haven't moaned about it, I think you like it. You're working hard because you finally found something that suits you," said Hana.

She was sitting on the outer side of the sofa bench, and one of her trio of grey ninken that lay on the floor beside their table near her leg barked happily. "See, even the triplets agree. Congratulations, you're now one step closer to being a normal person."

"I am normal," Taro said as he stared at the ninken. "Those three sure have grown some."

In the academy, she used to carry one of them on her head, the second one in a pouch in her clothes, and the last one in her arms. Now they were big enough that neither of those methods were viable. He had seen several Inuzuka clan's ninken—they could grow bigger until Hana could ride any of them.

"Look at you avoiding the topic! It's so cute." Aimi had a lopsided grin as she rested her face in her arms and looked at him, amused.

"I'm hungry, so let's order something," Taro said, disregarding their chuckles as he picked up the menu.

They ordered and got back to catching up with each other with their busy lives.

Aimi had been on several back-to-back outstation missions that took her all over the Land of Fire. She described it as half work, half travel and seemed to enjoy the time spent away from the village.

"I met the Fire Daimyo," she bragged.

"No way, seriously? How was that?" asked Taro as he munched on the fried Enoki mushrooms that they had ordered for the table.

"It was like meeting with the Lord Hokage. I mean, I knew that I could wipe the floor with him, but he had this presence to him—like I got it—the man before me was the ruler of an entire nation. I have to say, though, he had these armoured samurai with him, and those guys were serious—they felt sharp if you know what I mean."

"No, I don't know what you mean."

"They would cut you in an instant if you made a wrong move. You'd be dead, Taro," Aimi said sympathetically.

"I mean... I wouldn't make a wrong move."

Unlike Aimi's busy team, Ono's team had entered a period of downtime and were taking a break from missions to dedicate an extended period of time to training up their individual skills.

"Izumi is already training her second B-rank jutsu. It's completely wild," said Ono. He was on the same team as Uchiha Izumi, who had been earning a reputation as one of the most promising young talents in the village, standing apart from even her elder Uchiha peers. "And that's not even the crazy part. It's the nature of the B-rank: it's not her primary affinity. She's setting herself to meet the two nature jonin requirement."

Taro whistled. It was clear that the Uchiha clan was investing in Izumi. He wasn't anywhere near a B-rank jutsu and wasn't sure if he would have enough contributions to get himself one—or if he would even need one.

"And what about you, Miss Chunin?" Taro asked as he turned to Hana. "You better pay for this meal. In fact, I want a party."

Their academy batch had participated in their first Chunin Exams and returned with phenomenal news. Their batch had produced twelve teams, out of which only four were accepted by jonin. Out of those twelve, three of them had managed to get promoted after the Chunin Exams.

Inuzuka Hana was one of them.

"There'll be a party next week; you can stuff your face there, Everyone from the class is invited" said Hana with a smile.

"Works for me," said Taro. Both Aimi and Ono had participated, but both were eliminated after the second round. As for Taro, he hadn't even participated because he had managed to get into the Intelligence Division and was in no rush to risk his life in the Chunin Exams. "So what's the chunin life like?"

"I don't know; it's not any different yet. Sensei said that he would have me take the team on a C-rank mission as the leader next month. That's going to be exciting, but until then, nothing's really changed," said Hana, shrugging before she remembered something. "Oh, something happened recently. We met with this old shinobi—as old as Lord Third. He said that he was two years younger than him."

"Is he retired?" asked Ono.

"Actually, no, he's still very much active, as in field active," said Hana.

"Wow, now that's something. He a jonin?"

"Here's the shocker. A genin," said Hana.

The reactions were expected because people a genin the age of the Hokage were practically unheard of. Most genin and even some chunin retired in their forties, and there was no reason for someone as old as the Hokage to be active in the field as a genin.

"If I remember correctly, his name is Maruboshi Kosuke," Hana said, and that made Taro furrow his brows because he felt like he recognised that name. She continued, "The chunin in charge of the exam wanted us to meet him and listen to his advice because he had been shinobi for such a long time. In fact, he said that Mister Maruboshi knew more about being a shinobi than the Lord Third himself."

"What? Someone said that?" Aimi gasped in surprise. The Third Hokage was dubbed the 'God of Shinobi'; saying that there was someone who knew more about being a shinobi than the Third Hokage was a bold claim.

"It made sense after we talked to him," Hana nodded deeply. "Even though he's only a genin, the village asks him to lead teams on B-rank missions because of his sheer field experience and capabilities. Mister Maruboshi has been on the field longer than any shinobi alive. Lord Third hasn't been an active shinobi for decades now—but Mister Maruboshi has been on the field his entire career; he has officially completed more missions than any Leaf shinobi on record and the chunin said no one's breaking that record anytime soon. And the way Mister Maruboshi talked about being a shinobi—I'll say that the claim isn't a stretch."

"Ah, I recognise that name!" Taro, who had been deep in his thoughts, trying to grab the memory, suddenly banged his fist on the table, startling Hana's triplet ninken, who raised their heads. "Maruboshi Kosuke—yeah, that's Takuma's teacher. I met him once. He's… ancient."

He had met Maruboshi in the hospital the day after the assassination attempt on Takuma. Maruboshi had introduced himself as Takuma's former teacher.

"Speaking of Takuma, I just remembered," Ono said as he snapped his fingers. "The Uchiha use him for their General Induction Program."

"What do you mean?" asked Taro.

The Hidden Leaf Military Police Force, which only recruited from the Uchiha and a couple of their allied clans, had opened up to any Leaf shinobi interested in joining the Police Force. The General Induction Program was the way to apply and get into the Police Force and involved meeting demanding criteria and passing numerous tests to see if the applicants were fit to join the Police Force.

"I attended one of their introductory forums where they were telling us why we should join the Police Force, and he was the biggest highlight example they used. Everyone was sceptical that they wouldn't rise up the ranks inside the Police Force because the Uchiha will only promote their own—but they used Takuma as an example. He joined one of the biggest departments in the Police Force from Day-1 and launched and led a new team that's now a full-on sub-department," Ono looked like he was impressed by what he saw.

They were trying to say that they could be like Takuma if they joined the Police Force.

Taro sat up prouder as he heard his friend getting praised. "You know, he was in the paper a lot for conducting drug busts."

"Arisu said he was a big deal," said Hana, who was close with Fuma Arisu, who had worked closely with Takuma.

"I mean, we discussed Takuma before at our class gatherings, but when I saw a Uchiha talking about him with his face on the board it hit me that he was really doing something big," said Ono.

Takuma was a topic of discussion in their class gatherings. Because Arisu worked with him, she told him all sorts of stories about Takuma, but a lot of people didn't take her seriously because of Takuma's academy reputation and thought that she was just trying to hype him up because she was working under him and didn't want to be made fun of because she was the "dead-last's" subordinate.

Taro had tried to support and prop up her claims, but he didn't have the social standing within the class for anyone to really listen to him.

He sighed—after all these months, he really missed his friend. It had been three months since he had received his last letter that said that he wouldn't be writing for a while because of a mission. He felt nervous every time Takuma showed up in his thoughts or in conversation and wished he would return home safely as soon as possible.

"Why were you at a Police Force forum?" asked Hana, confused.

Ono slumped in his chair and sighed. "Our sensei isn't sure whether he wants continue leading the team past next year, so I've started looking for options about what I should do after the team is declared inactive."

The jonin teams that were formed right after academy graduations had a life of four years where the jonin was in charge of the development of the genin, but after that, it was up to the jonin if they wanted to continue the team and could disband it if they weren't interested. Their batch had already been genin for three years with only one year left before the jonin could disband the teams.

"I don't want to get stuck in the Genin Corp, and Izumi suggested that I look into the Police Force, so I went to the open forum. I don't know if I'll enter, but it's on the list," Ono shrugged.

"Well, I'm set, so I don't have to worry," Taro raised his hands. He was in the Analysis Team and produced enough work that there was no way he was going to get fired… which couldn't happen because his mother would rip his head from his body if he lost the job.

"Sucks for you, though," he smirked.

"We haven't sparred in forever. Let's go a few rounds," Ono said and tried to lock Taro in a head-hold.

"Get off me," Taro pushed Ono away before his hands could get close to him.

"So, how's he? I heard he had a difficult time out there," asked Aimi.

Taro picked up another slice of fried mushroom and was enjoying the crispiness when he realised that Aimi was talking to him.

"Me? What did you say? I missed it," he asked.

"I'm talking about Takuma. Have you met him yet? How is he?" asked Aimi.

"Takuma's not back. What are you talking about?" asked Taro, perplexed.

"Kameko's back home and she said that he came back with her."

Taro was utterly baffled by Aimi's words and couldn't believe her because he would've heard from Takuma if he had come back, but then he calmed down.

"When did they return?" he asked, thinking Takuma must have returned only a day or two ago and was resting.

"A full week—seven days."

CH_8.11 (276)
Later that evening, Taro was free from his job, skipped on heading home, and went straight to another place where he might get some answers regarding the shocking news that Takuma was back home.

He rang the doorbell in a lovely apartment building, too good for him to rent. It took three genin splitting the rent to afford to live there. He waited a few moments before heavy footsteps echoed from inside, and Masaaki, dressed only in a pair of tight underwear, opened the door.

"Why are you naked?" asked Taro as he stepped into his friends' apartment.

"I'm not," said Masaaki. He had changed a lot since the Akimichi clan had taken him in. He had gotten bigger in every way. He wasn't rotund like his patrons, but he had grown taller and packed on muscle and some fat, which gave him an almost abnormal strength. Moreover, he had been receiving guidance from an Akimichi jonin once a week and worked with clan chunin nearly every other day. He had truly managed to make the most out of his opportunity.

If they fought, Taro wouldn't last half a minute before Masaaki would break him in half. Thankfully, Taro had refused to spar with him so often that Masaaki no longer asked him out for spar sessions. It was one of the things he left to their other friend, who still entertained the spar requests.

Speaking of the friend, Nenro was cooking dinner for the trio of housemates. He looked up when Taro walked in and asked, "Are you staying for dinner? Tell me now while I can still make more."

"It's fine," Taro replied.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure."

Unlike Masaaki, Nenro hadn't changed much other than growing few inches and his voice finally deepening. However, when it came to careers, Nenro was the one to have changed the most. Three years ago, he was the first among them to work with a chunin regularly, and within months, he was in the rotation for several chunin-lead teams. By the start of their second year, Nenro was a mainstay in teams of several high-profile chunin teams.

He was gifted in presenting himself as valuable, and it felt like he could sell himself to anyone regardless of who they were. For a while, it felt like he would leave the Genin Corps to join a department, but he continued to stay. Many people, including Taro, thought it was a waste of his talents—but then he surprised everyone when a jonin had him lead a C-rank mission as a genin.

Jonin were considered hotspots within the shinobi organisation. A jonin had several chunin working under them, who further had genin working under them. They felt like informal companies with a jonin at the top. Being connected to a jonin, even if it was through a chunin, was beneficial. Being on a jonin's team increased a chunin's reputation, which gave them better missions to lead and allowed them to recruit the best genin for their missions, further growing their reputation.

Nenro wasn't a chunin, yet a jonin had him lead a team of genin on a mission. It was uncommon, but not rare, as experienced career genin who didn't meet the criteria to be promoted to chunin were often allowed to lead teams on low-stake missions.

However, Nenro was far too young and inexperienced—yet a jonin had directly recommended that he be allowed to lead a mission. Nenro wasn't a clan kid, nor did he have shinobi parents; he wasn't even born in the Hidden Leaf village—he was a nobody, which made people curious. In the past year, he had created a reputation for himself.

People had even created a title for him: Mercenary.

He managed to convert that one mission into several and was now receiving outsourced missions from the departments other people wanted him to join. Instead of joining one department, he worked with multiple on significant missions. He was essentially a rankless chunin. Not only did it reflect positively on his resume, but he also worked on a variety of different missions, which wouldn't have been possible had he joined a department.

Taro entered the living room and saw the third member of the trio slumped on a couch with her face into the cushions.

"A surprise to see you here," Taro said as he patted Ai's calves, and she raised her legs to make space for Taro to sit before lowering them in his lap. "I thought you were still doing additional training in the evening. What happened?" he asked.

Ai turned her tired face out of the cushions but smiled brightly at him, "I managed to close a complicated kunai wound on my own today without any mistakes or assistance, so sensei let me go home. He also gave me Saturday off. I finally have a long weekend!"

For others, a long weekend meant three days or more of no work, but for Ai, a long weekend was the standard two-day weekend.

Ai was an iryo-nin who was in training and working at a hospital. She literally worked as much as the other two combined and regularly pulled 24-hour shifts to get real firsthand experience with iryo-jutsu.

"I hate your father," Ai said with malice.

She was an apprentice under Taro's iryo-nin father, who had recently been promoted to the rank of Tokubetsu Jonin for his skill in iryo-jutsu. Ai started learning under him when he was a chunin, but now she was a tokubetsu jonin's select few students.

She was getting the best training one could ask for, but it took a lot to become a competent iryo-nin.

"I'll be sure to tell him," Taro said with a smirk.

"I'll kill you," she hissed. "The difference between some medicines and poison is in the dosage."

"Make it painless."

Ai scoffed before closing her eyes with a groan that partially sounded like she wanted to cry.

Masaaki returned from his room with a pair of shorts on. He slumped on the recliner opposite the sofa, working grippers in both hands. He truly was only concerned with being a combat shinobi with no other special skills. Most people stressed about narrowing their scope too much, but Masaaki was a single-minded individual who picked a goal and ran toward it without worrying about anything else.

"How was your day?" asked Masaaki.

"I had lunch with some academy classmates today," Taro replied, getting right to the topic he had come to discuss. "You remember Taketori Kameko from basic training?"

Ai, Masaaki, and Nenro weren't from the Hidden Leaf village and were trained at the local academy near their hometowns.

"The mean girl with the fast sword," Masaaki answered after a moment.

Ai opened her eyes and frowned at Taro. "Takuma's… teammate?"

"Yes, her. Apparently, she's back home, and Takuma returned with her," said Taro.

"What!" Ai immediately sat up, almost hitting Taro in the face with her legs

The sound of something being beaten by a mixer stopped, and Nenro walked into the room while wiping his hands with a hand towel. "How long?" he asked, mimicking Taro's own thinking when he first heard about Takuma's return.

"A week."

"Where is he?" asked Masaaki, clenching the hand grippers shut.

"Is he alright? Did he get injured? Is that why he hasn't reached out?" asked Ai, the worry having snapped her sleepiness away.

"I don't know," answered Taro. "Kameko told one of our friends that he didn't have a good time out there, but I don't know if he's injured or not," According to Aimi, Kameko didn't want to talk a lot about her time in the war and combined with her natural reservedness, she didn't get to know much.

"Where is he staying?" asked Masaaki.

"An inn or hotel? He stopped renting before he left," said Nenro.

"Or he's living with his teacher." Taro put his guess out. "Maruboshi Kosuke, the old man who stayed with Takuma when he was hospitalised. Does anyone have his number or address? He might know about his whereabouts even if Takuma's not with him."

Nenro and Masaaki replied simultaneously that they'd find Maruboshi's address.

"I'll find the address," Nenro took the responsibility. "I know a few people who might know."

"Why do you think he hasn't reached out? Even if he didn't want to meet, he could've just informed us that he's back home," Ai fell back and slumped into the coach as the short burst of energy left her. "And if we should be waiting for him instead of going to him? Maybe there's a reason he's taking his time, and we should respect it and give him his time."

Taro had considered that as well. He said, "That's conjecture. We don't know why he hasn't called, and hearing it from his mouth is better than to think of reasons without a basis. We go find him, and if he needs more time, we give it to him—but I think we should see how he is.".

"How long will it take you to get the address?" Taro asked Nenro.

"I'll have to make some calls, but I think... by tomorrow afternoon."

"Great, we go as soon as possible."

———

Maruboshi was worried because over a week had passed, and Takuma hadn't left the house since his arrival. He was recovering well—he didn't shut himself in his room and even took over the dinner cooking duties—a huge positive as Takuma looked burden-free while preparing the food. He took long barefoot walks in the garden, spending at least a couple of hours outside, but he hadn't shown any desire to wander into the village.

He understood that everyone had their own time of recovery, but Takuma had no contact with anyone except for him. By now, he should've called up his friends to inform them that he was back, but when he asked him to call them, Takuma replied he would do it tomorrow but never got to it. It was as though he was avoiding returning to his life before the war.

Maruboshi decided to see if he could pull him out of the home.

"Takuma, I am stepping out for some vegetables. There is a fresh breeze running through the village. Do you want to accompany me?" he asked.

Sitting in the living room and reading the day's newspaper, Takuma looked up and shook his head.

"I'm fine here. Please go ahead," said Takuma. "I'll do some cleaning in the meantime." He folded the newspaper and got up to go clean the bathroom.

Maruboshi silently sighed. While it was good that Takuma showed initiative without prompting, he preferred leaving the house and reconnecting with the village. With jute bags tucked under his arm, Maruboshi left the house and was surprised to see a group of people at his front gate as he stepped out the door.

"You are..." Standing before him were Takuma's friends and former teammates. He recognised them from Takuma's time in the hospital. He immediately closed the door behind him and walked forward to greet them.

"Hello, sir," said Ai. "We heard that Takuma's back home, and we're wondering if..."

"Good afternoon to all of you. Yes, Takuma is back. He is living with me. Do you want to meet him?" Maruboshi smiled because it was more than a pleasant surprise that Takuma's friends had come to his door.

The teenagers exchanged looks with each other.

"Yes, but we aren't sure if we're inconveniencing him. As long as he's fine, we can always come when he's ready to meet us," said Ai.

"No, no, you children are more than welcome to meet him," Maruboshi dismissed that opinion. He wanted Takuma to reconnect, and his friends coming to his doorstep was the best way to start it. "Truthfully, Takuma has had some difficult days since his return," their faces immediately fell, so he continued quickly, "but he is doing considerably well. I am worried because he has not left the house since his return, and I believe that meeting with all of you will be tremendously good for him... You have done the right thing by coming here."

He invited them inside and called for Takuma from the entrance hall without revealing the surprise.

———

Takuma rolled up his sleeves, put on rubber cleaning gloves, and was about to start cleaning the bathroom and the bathtub when he heard Maruboshi call for him. It sounded like he was at the front door. His ears twitched, and he picked up the other sounds.

He wasn't paying attention, but it sounded like there was someone with Maruboshi. He heard someone offering the customary apology for disturbing them. He wondered if it was one of the neighbours. Unlike his previous neighbourhood, the neighbours in Maruboshi were well-acquainted with each other. In his former place, the doorbell only rang once a month when the landlord came to collect rent.

"Coming!" he announced as he removed the gloves and stepped out.

He could already tell there were multiple people with Maruboshi just from the sounds. He reached the end of the hallway and reached the entrance hall, only to be frozen in his place when he saw his friends. He was stupefied, and his wide eyes jumped from person to person as the freeze response of his body kicked in.

"Hello, Takuma," Ai spoke first and tried to hide her worry in her smile, but her hands joined in front of her chest. The way she stepped forward the moment she saw him, everything about her body language, it all betrayed her thoroughly.

In response, Takuma turned his back to them. It was incredibly insulting, but Takuma wasn't concerned with his manners at the moment. He didn't want to see his friends—to be more precise, he didn't want his friends to see him. He was perfectly cognisant of his behaviour for the past week. He hadn't missed Maruboshi's subtle attempts to get him to step out of the house, but he felt safe in the four walls of the house that separated him from the outside world.

He knew he was being weak and pathetic—but he didn't want his friends to see him in this state, which was why he hadn't told anyone that he had returned or where he lived. Staying inside guaranteed he wouldn't run into anyone he knew because he genuinely didn't want anyone to see him as he was.

He closed his eyes as his heart began to beat faster. He racked his brain about how to deal with the situation now that his friends were there. He hastily formulated how to react and respond, wiped his eyes with his shirt, and put a smile on that felt torturous to face his friends.

He turned only to see Masaaki clear the entrance hall to reach him.

"Hey, Masaaki—" Takuma tried to sound upbeat but was cut off when Masaaki hugged him without saying a word. Masaaki was shorter but much bigger than him, and Takuma felt enveloped in his embrace. "It's nice to see you, buddy—"

"It's okay," said Masaaki, again cutting him off. "You're my friend. You don't have to pretend, just be you... I—none of us will judge, so it's okay if you don't want to smile; you never did it much before anyway. If you don't want to talk, that's also fine; we can just spar."

Takuma wasn't going to let his smile fall and was about to convince him that everything was fine, but when he heard that they could spar instead of talking, a massive wave of comfort and warmth spread through his body. His mind, which had been slow and heavy, felt lighter than ever before.

All his thoughts and the empty words he was about to utter disappeared, and just like that, he didn't feel like saying anything.

He was weak and pathetic—but he also was being stupid.

There was never a need to say anything.

He slowly raised his hands and patted Masaaki on the back.

"Got it," he said as the smile disappeared.

Even though he didn't want to smile and laugh, he realised he didn't need four walls to feel safe. He had no reason to worry because there were people who cared for him, and he could lean on them for support when he needed it.

CH_8.12 (277)
Takuma gazed at his washed and ironed Police Force uniform he hadn't worn in a year—the last time being in it was before the assassination attempt. Beside it sat his standard Leaf uniform. His first outing in the town the day before had been with his friends for lunch, and afterwards, they stopped by several places, including the storage unit with all of Takuma's belongings, to retrieve his clothes.

"Are you going out, young Takuma?"

He turned around to see Maruboshi standing at his door, looking at him and the two sets of clothes.

"Yes... I went to the bank yesterday because my standard pay for the last ten months hasn't been deposited," Takuma sighed. "I have a month left on my Police Force contract, so I'm technically still employed there, and they handle my salaries. I need this sorted out before I start looking for an apartment without worrying about money."

Maruboshi entered the room and stood beside him. "And you're confused about what to wear?" he asked as they stared at the two sets of uniforms on the floor.

"I don't want to work in the Police Force anymore," said Takuma. His animosity and anger against the Police Force had long since subsided; after what he had gone through. However, that didn't mean all was forgiven; they had taken away something he had built from the ground up. "But at the same time, I wonder if I should renew my contract with them. I'll have a higher pay, and while I'm there, I'll just coast with the bare minimum work while preparing for the next Chunin Exam."

The Chunin Exam was a bi-annual event; the last one ended last month and he had enough time for preparation and was thinking about asking Masaaki and Nenro to make a team with him for the next exam in less than six months. As the minimum length of service, the one-year contract at the Police Force was a safety net for his resume if he failed his first Chunin Exam and didn't want a one-year gap in the Genin Corps.

"Any advice?" he asked. Choosing his uniform was his way of locking in his decision. The standard uniform signified separation, while the police force uniform meant using them as a safety net.

"Both choices have merit, but I suggest you go through with what makes you happy. It may feel as though there are several things more important than your happiness, but the truth is that you'll not regret anything as much as forsaking your own wishes," said Maruboshi. "Ask yourself this: does this bridge need to be burned, or does it need to be rebuilt?"

Maruboshi patted his shoulder and left the room for Takuma to decide.

Takuma gazed at his two uniforms and thought about Maruboshi's words, which brought up the faces of the team he had hand-picked himself. He had been angry when the Narcotics Taskforce was taken away and avoided his team during a period where a few words from him would have helped them a lot.

He didn't regret his actions, but they deserved better from their leader. Perhaps it was too late, but he had to try it. In the end, he chose the option where he would be happy while deciding to rebuild the bridge.So, after a long look at his standard uniform, Takuma picked up the Police Force uniform for one last time.

———

Uchiha Kano was a senior officer in the Police Force's Department of Organised Crime and had great taste in fashion. The red-tinted shades that she never removed to obscure her Sharingan gave her a distinguished look, which she paired with kunai-shaped earrings and a choker to round out the outfit.

It was a regular day for her in her office and she spent the hours going through case files to narrow the suspect list. Kano looked into the bullpen at the two desks reserved for the two junior officers assigned to her. The desks were empty; undoubtedly, her two subordinates were near the water cooler gossiping again.

She shook her head and returned to her file, only to catch a figure walking to one of the desks. Thinking it was one of her subordinates, Kano looked up to call out to them, only to see it was someone else entirely. He was gazing at the desk with his hands in his pocket and even leaned down to look at the things on the desk.

The man had long hair tied in a short ponytail with loose hair framing his face and wore the uniform cap, obscuring her view of his face.

"Hey!" she called. "Can I help you?"

The man straightened and turned to her face, and Kano was surprised because even though his face was gaunt and there was a scar on the edge of his lips, she could recognise those uniquely tired eyes anywhere.

They had been like that since the first day she met him.

"Takuma?"

"It's been a while, hasn't it," Takuma said casually as he walked into the office. "I see you have new subordinates. May I sit?"

"Of course. When did you return?" she asked.

"Last week. I was sent home early," Takuma said as he sat down. "I heard that the ANBU took over my case from the Police Force."

The assassination attempt on Takuma had been seen as a slight against the Police Force, and they had been adamant about finding who it was until the trail went cold. They could've gained instant progress if they hadn't been stubborn about solving the case in-house and refused to share information with ANBU, who instantly recognised the blacksmith's touchmark.

Kano felt embarrassed because she was the lead officer on the case. The case started back up when they received a package through the war commission with another dagger bearing the same touchmark—and this time, ANBU came with it as the war commission had chosen to contact them before coming to the Police Force. It was revealed that ROOT was behind the assassination, and it automatically became ANBU jurisdiction.

"I managed to make more progress on the case while fighting a war behind enemy lines," said Takuma. His tone was flat, but Kano could tell he wasn't pleased.

"I wanted to get our liaison with the ANBU to take a look, but I wasn't allowed to share anything with anyone outside the force," Kano sighed.

"Useless pride," Takuma said, and it was true. Pride and politics interfered with things where they didn't belong. The case would've gone to ANBU regardless, but at least there would've been some progress. He continued, "Give me the case files, Kano."

"There's not much—"

"I don't care. I want any and all work that you guys did."

Kano wasn't allowed to give him the case file; they both knew it, and he still asked, which meant he wanted them anyway. She nodded and unlocked the cabinet behind her to take out a copy of the case file she had kept after ANBU took everything away.

She knew this wasn't against the rules, but technically, Takuma was still part of the Department of Organised Crime, and she could share certain material with her 'peers'.

"I am sorry that I couldn't make any progress," she said, sliding the file toward Takuma. "Truly."

"I don't blame you," he said with a sigh as he glanced inside the file. "This place is the real problem."

Kano's eyes narrowed behind her shades. She was part of the so-called place that Takuma called a problem. It was built by her clan and was one of the symbols of their prestige and power; saying that it was a problem was an affront to her clan. But she didn't say anything because she recognised that Takuma wasn't pleased with the Police Force and how they handled his position and case.

She switched the topic. "How was it out there?" she asked.

"Terrible." Takuma stood up, surprising Kano. "I want to stay and chat, but I have a lot to do, and I'm sure you do as well. I'll just pop in to meet with the team before I meet Setsuna. Let's chat some other day."

Kano was taken aback and shook her head bitterly. It couldn't have been clearer that he was upset with her. He had only come to her for the files, and was leaving after he got what he wanted, wasting no time playing nice.

"Of course," she replied, standing up to see him out. "One thing, the team has moved. You won't find it in the old place." She gave him the directions to the Narcotics Taskforce's new location inside the headquarters.

Takuma had a peculiar look, and she knew why. The new location was bigger because the taskforce had grown in size, and she guessed that it was a complicated feeling that the team he had built on his own had grown in his absence, especially when he was unwillingly removed.

As Takuma left, Kano thought if she should call ahead to tell them that Takuma was coming just in case something happened, but decided that she wanted no part of the drama and left Yakumi, the new head of the Narcotics Taskforce and her former boss, to deal with it on his own.

———

The Narcotics Taskforce's new office space was massive. The team had added new members, causing it to grow twice in size since Takuma was forced to vacate his position. He recognised the first people he saw in the bullpen from other departments and teams, and his first thought was that he would've not added them to the team if he had been in charge.

"Hello, do you want something?" asked a man. He was a Uchiha who had unlocked his Sharingan, which surprised Takuma because he had only managed to get one Uchiha on his team, and he hadn't even unlocked his clan's eyes until the farm raid.

"I'm here to meet Fuma Arisu. Could you call her, please?" said Takuma.

"May I ask what this is about? She's busy right now. If it's not urgent, you can leave a message with me, and I'll give it to her when she's free."

"... I'd prefer if you called her now. Please tell her that Takuma is here," he replied. He had complicated feelings about seeing the Narcotics Taskforce's growth, but he was pleased to see someone fielding people for Arisu; it meant that she had enough on her plate that she couldn't meet people randomly, and her team members understood it.

"Takuma?" said the Uchiha, his brows rising in surprise. "You're Takuma?"

"That's my name," Takuma nodded with a smile. "Would you please go inform her?"

"Ah, yes! Please wait a moment." The Uchiha quickly walked away and whispered something to another man on his way, who looked at Takuma in surprise.

Takuma didn't notice the interaction and gazed around the new space. In the old space, there were only three rooms. Takuma used one as his office, the other as a filing room, and the final was turned into a break room. The bullpen was also small and barely spacious enough to fit the team at the start, never mind the current number.

The new bullpen was tremendous with actual space to walk comfortably. Takuma found a spacious break room and other rooms labelled as [Evidence Locker] and [Archive], which used to be just the same filing room, among a couple more doors.

He was impressed and envious. The team was naturally getting more funding now when he couldn't even schedule a meeting about more money in his time.

"Takuma?"

Takuma responded to his name and turned to see Minoru, the Narcotic Taskforce's prized sensory-nin. There were big mainline departments that didn't have a sensory-nin. A lot of credit went to Arisu for recruiting him, but he was still proud that they had managed to get him on the team.

"Long time no see," Takuma said as they hugged briefly. "How are you, my friend?"

"You're really back…" Minoru said, looking spaced-out.

"I'm back from the war, yes," said Takuma and shook his head somberly.

Minoru read between the lines, and his smile dropped when he realised that Takuma meant he wasn't planning to return to the Narcotics Taskforce. "I-I see," he looked disappointed. "Are you sure? Won't you reconsider? Look at this place; we are bigger now and can actually do everything you used to talk about."

Takuma shook his head. "Sorry, buddy. I don't think it's going to happen."

Even if he wanted to return, which he did not, he had ended his cooperation with Enomoto; trying to rebuild it would send the message that he needed Enomoto, which would give the latter power over him. Going back to targeting drug trades without that connection would put him at risk of being exposed through mutually-assured destruction. Moreover, his team would notice he wasn't as effective as he used to be, which would be a problem in itself.

Minoru looked sad but nodded regardless.

"How's everyone?" asked Takuma as he patted Minoru's arm. "I hope the team is still doing good work."

"Things have changed. We have to be more organised because of our size, and Chunin Yakumi has a different way of doing things," Minoru said.

Takuma nodded. "I figured."

He noticed how Minoru was careful not to praise how things were done so as not to upset him. During Takuma's time, the team had been small enough to afford flexibility, but organisation and structure were required as the size grew, something they weren't exactly good at and adding more people came at the cost of flexibility. The Narcotics Taskforce had moved from a "new startup" stage to an "established company" stage.

Takuma looked past Minoru and saw people in the office gazing at him. "What's up with that?" he asked.

Minoru looked back. "Ah, you've developed a reputation," he smiled. "People know you as the outsider genin who established a sub-department that regularly outperformed others of bigger size, and then you went to fight in the war, which further bumped up your reputation."

"That's nice, I guess," Takuma said as he glanced at the watchers.

"It is. The people who come from outside the clan want to join the team, but because we're part of Organised Crime, no one can get it," said Minoru. The Department of Organised Crime was one of the most sought-after departments, but people had to pay their dues before applying for the limited number of openings. The higher-ups wouldn't allow new joiners to start there immediately. Takuma started directly in Organised Crime because the higher-ups wanted to promote the new external hiring, but that seemed to be a one-time thing. "You've become an inspiration and goal for non-Uchiha and the affiliated clans."

"Yeah... I heard they're using me as marketing material," said Takuma, unable to decide how he felt about that.

"Finally, you show your face!"

His musings vanished when he heard he'd desperately missed for almost yaer. He turned to face Arisu stomping her way through the office. She was the person he had spent most of his time before he was deployed and his partner with whom he had built the Narcotics Taskforce—his first ally and one of his few close friends.

"Hey... long time no see."

"Fuck off!"

If he could smile, he would've grinned.

CH_8.13 (278)
"Fuck off!"

The members of the Narcotics Taskforce were surprised to see the second-in-command hurl profanities from across the room. Arisu was not one to raise her voice in anger and handled matters with a level head, so seeing her act out of character was a surprise.

Takuma didn't mind the reception at all. He was just happy to see her after such a long time and took the sight of her in—even as she stomped across the room. He had never said it to her, but handling Enomoto while running the Narcotics Taskforce was stressful, and she had been his rock throughout it all.

"You came too soon. You should've waited at least another month before showing your face," Arisu said, her face taut with anger and her arms crossed tight.

Apparently, Kameko was so popular that the entire village knew he was back.

"Is it too hard to call or message, you asshat!"

Takuma merely hugged her, which surprised her enough to stop the tirade. Everyone in the office was looking at them, and she was technically their superior officer with an image to maintain but he didn't care.

"Stop it!" she said in a mixture of whispering and hissing.

"I'm sorry," Takuma released her, and she sighed her anger away under his gaze.

"About?"

"Not reaching out to you sooner."

"Good. How are you?" she asked.

Takuma shrugged. He was open to sharing with her, but not now at the headquarters. "Are you free for lunch? We can talk over a meal. I'd like to catch up as well," he said.

"Absolutely!" she smiled and, like a burst of sunshine, the anger on her face dissipated in an instant.

He was glad to see her so excited and responsive because he doubted whether the vibe between them would be awkward because of how they had left things before he had left. Their letters had skirted around the topic of their kiss and he didn't want to compromise his friendship with Arisu over it, nor could he pursue a relationship in his current state.

Takuma wasn't sure when that would change either.

"I see you're back."

He turned to see Uchiha Yakumi walking over. Yakumi used to be Kano's senior and was technically in charge of Takuma's development when he was a new rookie, but had dumped him on his subordinate instead. He was also the one to replace him at the Narcotics Taskforce, and because of that, Takuma didn't like the man one bit.

"Chunin Yakumi," he nodded.

"I'm glad to see that you're safe," said Yakumi as they shook hands.

"I must say, I'm impressed and happy with what you've done here. It looks unrecognisable… but in a good way," Takuma doled out praise while the members of the Narcotics Task Force watched on nervously. No matter his personal feelings, this was a place of work for people he cared about like Arisu and Minoru, and he didn't want to put them in an awkward position.

Like his teacher said, it was better to rebuild a broken bridge instead of burning it down.

Yakumi seemed to understand this motive and smiled, "I just expanded on the foundation you left and I can't take all the credit; it was a team effort. I depended greatly on Arisu while I had just taken over the command."

'But you're getting the credit regardless,' Takuma thought.

He had done the foundation-level work, prepared all the material, and trained labour, only for Yakumi to come in and build a magnificent skyscraper and call it his own.

"If you don't mind, may the three of us talk privately?" he addressed Minoru before turning to Arisu and Yakumi with a nod. "If you don't mind, of course, Chunin Yakumi?"

"I'll get back to work," said Minoru, patting Takuma's shoulder. "Let's catch up some time, yeah?"

Takuma nodded before turning to Yakumi.

"Let's use my office," he replied.

The trio went into Yakumi's office, which was twice as big as Takuma's when he was in charge. It resembled Yakumi's old office in feel, but there were upgrades in terms of decor that indicated heading the Narcotics Taskforce had undoubtedly been a promotion for him.

"What do you want to talk about?" asked Yakumi after they sat down. Takuma and Arisu sat opposite him on his desk. "Would you like some tea? I can have someone bring it down if you're in the mood."

"No, nothing. I'm hoping this will be short, and I expect your cooperation in this matter," said Takuma, switching out politeness for bluntness. "I have a month remaining in my contract with the Police Force, and I'm not going to renew it."

That elicited a response from Arisu. She didn't seem to like his decision but didn't say anything. Yakumi remained passive, reserving his reactions until after Takuma was done.

"As far as I'm aware, I'm still part of the Narcotics Taskforce, but I do not want to work here and let me be clear: when I say here, I mean the Police Force as a whole. So, I'm requesting that you give me paid leave until the end of my contract, and I'll be out of your hair—which I'm sure you'll appreciate."

There was no way Yakumi wanted Takuma hanging around because even if he was the leader, Takuma still had considerable influence over the team as its founder. Takuma knew he wouldn't be able to replicate his output from before, but Yakumi wasn't, and in his eyes, it would be a bad look for him if a performance boost occurred the same month Takuma returned.

Arisu looked like she wanted to interject and say something, but Takuma raised his hand to stop her. Regardless of what she said, he wouldn't change his decision.

"How about it?"

Yakumi gazed at Takuma in thought for a few moments. "If that's what you wish, then I'll comply. You have just returned from war, proudly representing our nation and helping our ally—a month off work is the least you deserve. I'll take care of everything, so consider it done."

"Excellent. Thank you," Takuma said and stood up. "It was great meeting with you; I'll leave you to your work now."

"Of course, please don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything."

Both men shook hands, and Takuma left the office in less than five minutes. He was pleased it had gone so smoothly; now, he didn't have to work to cash in his pay cheque. He had also inquired about his deferred salary transfer, and they hadn't changed his pay grade after his demotion, so he would get paid the extra bit he had negotiated for when the Narcotics Taskforce was still picking up steam.

"You were hasty back there," said Arisu, displeased. "We could've worked together like before. You built this place; don't you want to see it grow? This place needs you."

His smile was complicated. "Believe me, Arisu, I'd love to work with you, but I can't stay here… not after everything that's happened."

She closed her eyes with a sigh of disappointment. "I understand," she said, "but you know...."

"Yeah, I know," he nodded as he rubbed her shoulder. "Listen, I have a meeting with Chunin Setsuna, so I'll be done by break time. I'll pick you up then and we'll go out to eat, okay?"

"...I'm looking forward to it," said Arisu, giving him a sad smile.

———

The final stop at the headquarters was the man responsible for placing Takuma in the Department of Organised Crime, which opened a path for him to progress as much as he did.

"Would you consider extending your contract?" said Uchiha Setsuna. The man was in charge of the General Induction Program responsible for pushing the Leaf Military Police Force into a new era beyond the Uchiha clan.

It wouldn't be an understatement to say that he was responsible for opening up the Police Force to the village at large.

"I considered it," Takuma responded with his prepared statement, "and concluded that it's time for me to move on. I enjoyed the work, but I feel it's time to start a new chapter of my life"—and that chapter wasn't going to be in the Police Force.

"You've barely returned home; perhaps you should take a while before making such a big decision."

"Thank you for caring, but I've thought about it over and it feels right," Takuma said.

Honestly, he wanted to stay but he couldn't work at an institution that placed pride above the welfare of its own employees but he understood why Setsuna was trying to get him to stay.

The General Induction Program was Setsuna's creation and Takuma was its highly successful poster boy. If the applicants find out the person being paraded before they had left the Police Force, that would have a definite negative impact.

Even if it was only for token purposes, Setsuna wanted Takuma to stay.

"Do you have anything lined up for you?"

"Not at the moment. I'm planning to attend the coming Chunin Exams. I believe it's time," said Takuma.

He was talking to Setsuna about getting a recommendation letter. In his grief, he had forgotten to get a letter from one of the Camp Banana jonin, but perhaps that was for the better—he had received backlash from the bomb blast, after all. Time would soften their dissatisfaction, increasing his chances of getting a recommendation letter.

He would also ask for letters from Iruka, Yakumi, and Anko when she returned home.

"...Will you stay if you get promoted internally?" said Setsuna.

Takuma looked at the Uchiha with faint displeasure. "Sir, please don't make promises you can't keep and don't say things you don't mean."

There were a few different ways to get a Chunin rank promotion.

By participating in the Chunin Exams, the genin declared they were ready for a chunin rank promotion. The promotion committee would then look at the genin's resume and achievements along with their performance in the exam to judge if the genin was worthy of a promotion.

The second method was earning a field promotion, which happened when a genin raked up enough achievements and showcased they were capable of a leadership position. The process skipped Chunin Exams, but if the genin had participated prior, the performance was into consideration. Generally, a chunin or jonin who had worked with genin recommended them to the promotion committee.

The third method involved jonin who held the power to promote a genin. Each jonin had an annual chunin promotion slot. They could promote one genin every year, essentially no questions asked. There were some things that needed to be considered, and jonin were expected to make half-decent decisions on their choice of genin as bad or unready candidates could damage their reputation. Jonin teachers weren't allowed to use their promotion slows on their students while the team was active—which was a minimum of four years.

Finally, there were Division/Department promotion slots. Organisations like the Police Force, T&I, shinobi hospitals, and essentially, any shinobi institution had a number of promotion slots depending on their size and importance. Their leadership had complete control and discretion on who in their organisation deserved the promotion.

"But what if I can?" asked Setsuna.

"You can't possibly guarantee that."

"If I can get you a rank promotion... will you stay?"

Takuma stared at the man who had just made the proposition he had been fishing for the entire time he'd been running the Narcotics Taskforce. He had gone to war for a rank promotion, which he was sure would raise his chances when he declared himself for the Chunin Exam and personally thought he had done enough for a field promotion, but that type of recommendation was different from a simple recommendation letter. The decision-makers hadn't worked with him, which reduced his chances. He needed to showcase himself in the Chunin Exam to get the eyes on him.

"It's not enough," said Takuma. "I want something else."

Setsuna leaned forward. "What is it?"

"I don't want to work in the Narcotics Taskforce or the Department of Organised Crime," Takuma put forth a demand off the top of his head. "I want my choice of assignments, which might very well be working directly under a jonin department head or establishing a new team like I did if there's a reasonable opportunity. I want a massive pay bump… I want access to advanced training and jutsu archives and, most importantly, I want a B-rank ninjutsu!"

He thought Setsuna would call him crazy when he talked about running a team, and he was sure he would shut him down when he asked for a B-rank jutsu but he'd followed the simple negotiation tactic of over demanding. By the time they found common ground, he would receive approximately what he wanted all along....

"I can work with that," said Setsuna.

"What?"

"Give me till the end of your contract. If I'm successful, I'll have something for you by then."

Takuma looked at the man, unable to hide his surprise. Earlier this morning, he had entered the headquarters intending to get his money and rebuild bridges to successfully put the Police Force behind him.

Now, he somehow managed to sit before a man who could get him a rank promotion, completely flipping the day on its head.

Back