Rem POV
The air hung heavy with the scent of dust and dry grass as we stepped off the train that had brought us to the outskirts of Dustpan Town, a small town nestled amidst the vast expanse of the Kunso Desert.

The bounty notice clutched in my hand, its parchment crinkling with every step, promised a hefty reward for the capture of a notorious bandit leader, a man known only as "Scarface Jack" - who had terrorized this isolated community for months.

"Let's split up and gather some intel," I suggested to tereda, as his keen eyes were already scanning the ramshackle buildings lining the dusty main road.

Tereda nodded, "Meet back at the town bar in an hour. We'll compare notes and see what we can find."

I nodded, a familiar sense of purpose settling over me.

Despite the stifling heat and the oppressive stillness of the air, a spark of excitement flickered within me.

This was our first bounty, a chance to prove our skills and earn a reward that- despite not being necessary with our ridiculous wealth, would be fulfilling to receive.

"Be careful, Rem," Tereda added, his voice softening as he reached out to brush a stray strand of hair from my face. "Don't take any unnecessary risks."

I offered a reassuring smile. "You worry too much, Tereda," I said, my voice teasing. "I'm as strong as you now! There's no way some gross bandits will get close to hurting me."

Tereda shrugged, and gave me a kiss.

Giving me a reluctant glance, he walked to gather info in another direction.

With that, we parted ways, our paths diverging as we ventured into the heart of Dustpan Town, each of us seeking answers that would lead us to our target.

My inquiries, however, were met with a strange mix of fear and silence.

I approached three different townsfolk, their faces etched with a weary resignation that hinted at the hardships they had endured under Scarface Jack's reign.

But the moment I mentioned the bandit leader's name, their eyes widened with terror, and they scurried away, mumbling apologies and claiming ignorance.

It was as if the very mention of Scarface Jack conjured a specter of fear that haunted this town, silencing its inhabitants and casting a pall over its dusty streets.

As I continued my investigation, a man, his attire suggesting a level of wealth and privilege that stood out amidst the town's poverty, approached me, his eyes lingering on my form with an unsettling intensity.

"Well, hello there, beautiful," he said, his voice a practiced drawl that oozed with a false charm. "I haven't seen you around these parts before. What brings a lovely lady like you to Dustpan Town?"

I frowned, tightening around the hilt of the spatially folded flail I had upon me always.

Concealed beneath my kimono were many bludgeoning instruments and a few sharp ones all spatially folded for easy access.

Despite the sweltering heat, I wore a formal Tomosode kimono, its elegant black fabric and intricate patterns a clear sign of my status as a taken woman and for those too dull to notice that, my ring should shove it in their faces that I don't want interest of what's not mine.

This man, his blatant disregard for propriety, clearly lacked even the most basic social graces.

I stared at him, my expression a mixture of confusion and disgust so deep that it hurt.

Without a word, I turned and walked away, his pathetic attempts at flirtation fading into the dust and silence of Dustpan Town's desolate streets.

The town bar, a ramshackle building with a wooden sign that creaked ominously in the wind, beckoned me forward.

It was time to meet with Tereda and see what he had uncovered.

Hopefully, his investigations had yielded more fruitful results than mine.

This bounty, it seemed, was already proving to be more challenging than we had anticipated.

The bar's interior was a dimly lit haven from the oppressive heat of the desert sun. Dusty wooden tables and chairs were scattered across a worn floor, their surfaces sticky with spilled drinks and the remnants of forgotten meals. A lone bartender, his face etched with a weary resignation, wiped down the counter with a rag that had seen better days, his movements slow and methodical, as if time itself moved at a languid pace within these walls.

I settled into a booth near the back of the bar, grateful for the blast of cool air from the ancient air conditioning unit that rattled and hummed above the counter. The silence, broken only by the rhythmic clinking of glasses and the occasional cough from a grizzled patron nursing a beer at the bar, was a welcome reprieve from the stifling tension I had encountered on the dusty streets of Dustpan Town.

Tereda was late. We had agreed to meet here after an hour, and nearly two had passed. A flicker of concern sparked within me, but I quickly dismissed it. Tereda was more than capable of handling himself. He was a skilled Hunter, his senses honed to a razor-sharp edge, his power amplified by our enchanted rings and years of relentless training.

The insistent buzzing of a fly, its wings beating against the grimy windowpane, was the only sound that dared to interrupt the bar's languid silence. I swatted at it, my irritation growing with each passing minute.

The air conditioning, its rhythmic hum now a constant presence in the background, seemed to kick into overdrive, the temperature plummeting from a pleasant cool to a bone-chilling frigidity.

I shivered, pulling my kimono tighter around me, another minute passed and I pulled out a tan coat, adding a layer of warmth against the sudden chill.

Even within the bar's dimly lit interior, I could see my breath misting in the air.

Just as I was beginning to wonder if the air conditioning unit had malfunctioned, a familiar figure approached my table.

It was the man from earlier, the one who had dared to approach me on the street, his eyes lingering on my form with an unsettling hunger.

He slid into the booth across from me, his movements smooth and practiced, his expensive attire a jarring contrast to the bar's worn decor.

He pushed a glass towards me, its contents a vibrant orange concoction that smells sickly sweet and artificial.

"I thought you might appreciate a drink," he said, his voice a practiced drawl that dripped with a false charm. "Something to cool you down."

I stood, recoiling in disgust and staring down at him with as much disdain and disgust as I felt.

This man-

This bug, it's audacity knew no bounds.

"Do you not understand the significance of what I'm wearing?" I asked, my voice dangerously calm, my disgust filled expression unchanged, my hand instinctively tightening around the hilt of my flail, ready to pull it out of my sleeve with a moment's notice. "The Tomosode kimono? The ring on my finger?"

He chuckled, a dismissive sound that grated on my nerves. "Whoever your husband is," he said, his eyes gleaming with a predatory glint, "he should be honored to have a man like me show interest in his wife."

My disgust transformed into a burning hatred, a primal rage that threatened to consume me.

I resisted the urge to draw a blade- not my flail- and end his pathetic existence right then in a way that is so inefficient that it would simply cause enough pain that he would beg to die.

Instead, I raised my hand and slapped him across the face with all the force I could muster- that a normal person could survive at least.

The sound of the impact echoed through the bar, silencing the few remaining patrons.

A strip of something that resembled skin flew from his face, revealing a jagged, discolored scar beneath.

My eyes widened in recognition. The scar, the arrogant demeanor, the unmistakable scent of blood and cruelty that clung to him like a shroud.

This wasn't just some random, clueless fool.

This was Scarface Jack.

A cold smile spread across my face.

It seemed fate had delivered our target to us on a silver platter.

there would be no escape.

A flicker of fear, carefully crafted and convincingly portrayed, crossed my face as I stumbled back from the table, knocking over the chair in 'panic', my gaze meeting Scarface Jack's with a calculated mix of terror and vulnerability.

"I… I need to go," I stammered, my voice purposely trembling slightly.

I turned and hurried towards the bar's exit, my steps quick but deliberately uneven, as if I were trying to maintain my composure while fleeing a dangerous situation.

I could sense his gaze burning into my back, a predator's focus that sent a reak shiver down my spine.

One of lust.

He followed, his footsteps heavy and confident, the scent of blood and arrogance clinging to him like a shroud.

As we exited the bar and stepped onto the dusty street, the temperature plummeted.

The air around us crackled with a sudden chill, the ground beneath our feet frosting over with a thin layer of ice.

My breath misted in the air, forming fleeting clouds that dissipated into the encroaching cold.

He's a Transmuter, I realized, my eyes narrowing as I assessed his aura.

He was channeling his Nen into a form of ice manipulation, his body radiating a chilling aura that transformed the air around him into a weapon.

I didn't slow down, my steps still feigning a panicked retreat, but my mind raced, calculating the distance to the town's edge, the point beyond which our confrontation wouldn't endanger the innocent bystanders caught in Scarface Jack's icy wake.

Once we were a safe distance from the town, I stopped, turning to face him, my carefully constructed facade of fear melting away.

A happily cold smile spread across my lips, my eyes hardening with a predatory gleam that mirrored his own.

"Let's see what you've got, Scarface," I said, my voice low and dangerous, the playful lilt gone, replaced by a steely resolve.

I reached into my kimono's hidden pocket dimension, my fingers brushing against a familiar cylindrical shape. With a flick of my wrist, I launched a flare into the darkening sky, its crimson glow arcing across the horizon, a signal to Tereda.

Just in case this fight proved to be more challenging than anticipated.

Scarface Jack, his body now encased in a shimmering armor of ice, his eyes blazing with a manic glee, charged towards me, his fist raised in a strike that aimed to shatter bone.

I met his attack head-on, my spatially compressed flail materializing in my hand, its spiked ball meeting his icy fist with a resounding clang.

The sound of shattering ice echoed through the air as Scarface Jack's armor crumbled, his arm contorting at an unnatural angle, the bones beneath pulverized by the force of my counter.

He screamed, a sound of pain and disbelief that was swallowed by the desert wind.

He flew backward, a ragdoll tossed by an unseen force, his body tumbling through the air, a trail of blood and shattered ice marking his trajectory.

He slammed into the town wall in the distance, the impact echoing across the desert like a distant thunderclap.

I stood there for a moment, the silence settling around me, broken only by the gentle whisper of the wind and the distant chirping of crickets.

He's… weak, I realized, a wave of disappointment washing over me.

All that anticipation, all that buildup, for a fight that ended in a single blow.

I turned and walked back towards the town, my footsteps echoing against the now-thawing ground. The crimson glow of the flare I had launched still burned in the distance, a beacon against the darkening sky.

I reached the section of the wall where Scarface Jack had landed, his body crumpled and lifeless amidst a pile of shattered ice. Tereda stood there, his expression a mixture of disbelief and amusement.

"You killed him with one hit?" he asked, his voice incredulous.

I shrugged, my disappointment evident in my tone. "He was weaker than I expected."

The thrill of the hunt, the satisfaction of a hard-fought victory, was absent.

Tereda just shrugged. "Let's go clean up his camp. I guess."

Last edited:
The bustling crowds of Kokoroini City welcomed us back with a familiar cacophony of sounds and smells, a stark contrast to the desolate silence of Dustpan Town.

As we stepped out of the train station, the city's vibrant energy, a symphony of honking horns, street vendors' calls, and the laughter of children playing in the park, washed over us, a reassuring reminder of life's normalcy.

"That… crushed bug," I muttered, my voice laced with a lingering disgust. "I can still smell his arrogance."

I shuddered, my delicate features contorting into a grimace. "He was so repulsive," I continued, "so utterly lacking in basic decency. I've never felt such visceral disgust before."

Tereda chuckled, his amusement warming me despite the chill of my disgust. "You should show me the face you made," he said, his curiosity piqued. "Maybe I can offer some pointers. If it didn't work on that guy, maybe you didn't do it hard enough."

I turned towards him, my brow furrowing in concentration.

I tried to replicate the expression, my lips twisting, my eyes narrowing, but the desired effect was lacking.

Heat crept up my neck.

How could I possibly make that face when I was looking at him, the man who held my heart, the one who filled my world with warmth and laughter?

"I can't do it," I admitted, my voice laced with frustration. "Not when I'm looking at you."

An idea sparked. "Wait here," I said, my voice taking on a playful tone. "I have an idea."

I reached into my kimono's hidden pocket dimension, retrieving a sheet of parchment and a roll of enchanted tape.

I carefully placed the parchment on the ground, securing it with the tape.

Then, with a flick of my wrist, I channeled my now barely used gate magic into the paper, imbuing it with a soft, blue glow.

An image of Scarface Jack, a ghostly apparition that shimmered with a faint, blue light, projected from the parchment, his arrogant smirk and predatory gaze chillingly familiar.

I turned towards the illusion, my expression instantly transforming into a mask of utter revulsion.

My lips curled into a sneer of disgust, my eyes expressing a look of pure disdain, my entire being radiating a palpable aura of loathing.

The memory of his words, his attempt to touch my hand in the bar, the stench of his arrogance, all fueled my disgust.

A moment later, a flash of light startled me. Tereda was holding up his phone, a mischievous grin on his face. "Got it!" he announced, showing me the picture he had taken.

"Whoa," I heard Tereda exclaim from behind me. "How did that guy not spontaneously combust into a flaming puddle of shame and self-loathing in front of you?"

Warmth flooded through me, chasing away the chill of my disgust.

Tereda's words were a balm to my soul.

"Seriously, Rem," he said, his voice a mixture of horror and amusement, "if you'd given me a look like THAT when I asked you out, I would've died on the spot, embraced the void, and refused to revive. It's a good thing you love me."

I burst into laughter, my cheeks flushing with warmth.

He was ridiculous, and I loved him more than words could express.

The memory of Dustpan Town, its oppressive atmosphere and unsettling secrets, faded away as we continued our stroll through the bustling streets of Kokoroini City.

The weight of our recent experiences lifted by the warmth of our shared laughter and the comforting presence of Tereda's hand in mine.

As we moved towards the bounty office, I could only smile, the enchanted parchment burning away due to too much energy behind us.

Tereda POV

The Bounty Office, still bustling with its usual mix of hopeful Hunters and hardened veterans, welcomed us back with its familiar scent of stale coffee and ambition.

I navigated through the crowd, my hand resting lightly on Rem's back, guiding her towards one of the large scanning booths lining the back wall.

I placed the bag containing Scarface Jack's head onto the machine's platform, its metallic surface cold beneath my fingertips.

It was a bulky, industrial-looking contraption, far less compact and sophisticated than the tablet Sukina had used to identify Illumi's stupid face.

I shrugged, figuring different offices and people probably had vastly different equipment budgets.

A few moments passed, the machine whirring and clicking as it scanned the contents of the bag.

Then, a satisfying ding echoed through the booth, followed by a robotic voice that announced, "Bounty confirmed. Four hundred million Jenny deposited into the user account: Tereda Chouju and Future Awesome Wife Rem."

I nodded, already accessing my account balance on my phone.

The sum, while substantial, was a drop in the bucket compared to the twenty-three billion Jenny that still remained after our expenses, the bribes for the champions, and the payment for well, let's just say having a fiance is expensive when that fiance wants to spend a bit on food.

But the money wasn't the point.

The real reward had been the time spent with Rem, exploring a new town, facing a (slightly disappointing) challenge, and witnessing her truly terrifying "disgust face."

The memories we had created were worth more than any bounty.

I rose from the chair in front of the scanning booth and offered Rem a smile. "Ready for our next adventure?" I asked, my voice laced with a playful anticipation.

She grinned back, her eyes sparkling with that familiar blend of mischief and love. "Always."

We exited the Bounty Office, stepping back onto the bustling streets of Kokoroini City.

The world was vast, filled with countless opportunities for Hunters, both noble and less than savory.

"Where to next?" Rem asked, her voice brimming with excitement.

My thoughts drifted back to a conversation I'd had with Zack during our brief time together on the airship.

He had mentioned a place called Heavens Arena, a towering structure where Nen users battled for glory, wealth, and a chance to test their skills against the strongest fighters in the world.

"Heavens Arena," I said, a smirk spreading across my face. "I hear they have some pretty tough competition on the 200th floor. Maybe we'll find a real challenge there."

We hailed a cab, entered it, and paid for a trip to the local airport. Its engine sputtered along as it carried us towards the airport, the promise of new adventures and formidable opponents beckoning us forward.

Tojo Tower HQ, Yorknew City, Killua POV
The towering skyscraper of Tojo Tower HQ loomed above us, a symbol of power and influence that dwarfed even the most impressive buildings in Kokoroini City and even almost all of the ones in Yorknew where we were currently.

Sukina, her face beaming with a mischievous grin, led Gon and me through the grand entrance, its polished marble floors and ornate chandeliers a testament to the Tojo Clan's wealth and prestige.

"Daddy's gonna whip us into shape!" she announced, giggling with excitement. "He's the coolest and strongest guy I know!"

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect from a training session with the infamous Tojo Clan head.

The stories I'd heard about him were a wild mix of brutal brawls, flamboyant antics, and an unpredictable personality that could shift from playful to menacing in a heartbeat.

We were ushered into a spacious training hall, its walls lined with weapons racks and training dummies, the air thick with the scent of sweat and leather.

Goro Majima, a man who seemed to radiate a chaotic energy, stood in the center of the room, twirling a baseball bat with casual grace.

His single visible eye, a piercing blue that twinkled with mischief, settled on us.

"So, you rugrats wanna become big, strong Hunters, eh?" he asked, a playful lilt in his gravelly voice.

Gon, ever the eager student, nodded enthusiastically. "Yes, sir! We want to be the best!"

I, still wary of the man's reputation, crossed my arms, skeptical. "What about Nen?" I asked. "Will you teach us how to use it?"

Majima threw back his head and let out a boisterous laugh, the sound echoing through the training hall. "Nen? You little pipsqueaks wanna advance your Nen? Ohohoho! You're not ready for Nen yet! Whoever activated your nodes did you a disservice! You gotta learn to crawl before you can fly, see?"

He swaggered over to a rack laden with weighted vests, each one seemingly heavier than the last.

"First," he declared, striking a dramatic pose, "you gotta build those muscles! Twenty tons of weight. No Nen, just pure grit and determination along with the power of absolute muscle! Once you can handle that, then we'll talk about unleashing your inner demons! I mean, your Nen, of course! Kyahaha!"

Sukina, who had been quietly observing the exchange with an amused smile, stepped forward, her usual playful demeanor replaced by a look of quiet determination.

She lifted her silk scarf and pulled aside her dress slightly, revealing a weighted vest beneath, its bulk hidden by her expertly tailored clothes.

"I've been wearing thirty tons this whole time," she said, her voice casual.

My jaw dropped. "Thirty tons?!" I exclaimed, staring at her in disbelief. "I can barely lift sixteen, and I wasn't even wearing any weights!"

Sukina's lips curved into a knowing smirk. "Looks like someone was exaggerating their strength earlier after all," she said, her voice a playful tease.

I felt my cheeks flush, embarrassment warring with indignation.

This whole time, Sukina had been casually carrying around almost two times the weight I could handle.

She hadn't even broken a sweat this whole time!

Majima, his single eye gleaming with amusement, clapped his hands together. "Alright, enough chit-chat, you little whippersnappers! Time to get those muscles burning! Let's see what you're made of!"

He tossed us each a weighted vest, the immense weight settling upon us like a physical manifestation of hell.

I stared at the '18 Tons' marked on the front of the vest in disbelief.

A short changing room break later.

As we struggled to stand upright, I couldn't help but wonder if we'd ever be able to move, let alone fight, under such a crushing burden.

But one thing was certain: with Goro Majima as our trainer, this was going to be one hell of a wild ride.

"100 laps! Go! Go! Go!"

A/N: I'm gonna preface this by stating that Kasimir is out of High quality spirit stones and is having a hard time getting new ones. He saw an opportunity to overcharge and despite being friends with Tereda- He's a merchant.
---

The plush dining hall of the first-class airship hummed with quiet conversation and the clinking of silverware against fine china. Rem and I, seated at a table near the panoramic window overlooking a breathtaking sunset over the sprawling desert below, were savoring a delectable meal, a symphony of exotic flavors and textures that delighted our palates.

"This curry is incredible," Rem murmured, her eyes sparkling with appreciation as she took another bite of the fragrant dish, its spices a tantalizing blend of heat and sweetness. "Though," she added, a mischievous glint in her eye, "naming your capital city after your country is… moronic. They could've at least called it something a bit more imaginative, you know? Like 'City of Golden Sands Arena City' or 'Oasis of the Setting Sun Combat City' or even just 'Heaven's Arena City'."

I chuckled, her observation both amusing and insightful. "I guess they weren't feeling particularly creative when they named Padokea City," I agreed, reaching for a glass of chilled wine. "Just like the morons who named my country the United States of America. What does that even mean? Atleast Nihon means land of the rising sun and that makes sense, but then those assholes decided to force everyone to call it Japan so they could remember the name of our goddamn language!"

I was about to launch into a further tirade about the absurdity of geographical naming conventions when our waitress, a woman whose attire seemed deliberately designed to accentuate her… assets in a way clearly dissimilar to the other waitresses, approached our table, her eyes lingering on me with an intensity that made my skin crawl.

She bent over provocatively and attempted to show herself off even further.

My eyes didn't move away from Rem for a moment.

"Can I tempt you with dessert, sir?" she purred, pushing her chest forward when she said 'dessert', her voice dripping with a sugary sweetness that set my teeth on edge. "Our chocolate lava cake is simply divine." She punctuated it by trying to draw attention to her dusky skin color again.

Before Rem could respond, I cut her off, my voice hardening with annoyance.

This was the third time this had happened since we boarded the airship.

At least the others waited until Rem was gone, but this audacious bimbo?

It seemed my enhanced physique and the subtle aura of power that clung to us after our two years of intense Nen training during in between learning our crafts had an… unintended side effect.

I scowled, shoving the ring on my finger into her face and staring into her eyes with rage, my voice laced with anger. "What am I wearing here?" I demanded.

The waitress stammered, her eyes widening with a mixture of confusion and fear.

"It's… it's…"

"It's a wedding ring, you dimwitted harlot," I growled, my patience wearing thin. "Now fuck off and begone."

The waitress, her face flushing crimson, scurried away, her previous flirtatious demeanor replaced by a panicked retreat.

Rem's expression was a mixture of anger and concern. "Is this happening often?" she asked, her voice tight with barely suppressed rage and obvious sympathy. "Have these… harlots been bothering you?"

I sighed, rubbing my temples. "It's been... a recurring theme, lately," I admitted, frustration lacing my voice. "Remember how I was late to our meeting back in Dustpan Town? It wasn't just because of the intel gathering. I had to lose a few persistent admirers."

Rem's hand found mine, her grip firm and reassuring. "I'm sorry, Tereda," she said, her voice softening, her anger and sympathy more than evident. "It's not fair that you have to deal with this. They should know better."

Her blue eyes narrowed, a flicker of her Oni rage resurfacing. "Next time," she muttered, her voice low and dangerous, "I'll handle it."

I squeezed her hand, grateful for her unwavering support and fierce protectiveness.

Knowing I had Rem by my side, ready to face ridiculous bitches with me, made even the most frustrating situations bearable.

I'd do the same for her for any bastard stupid enough to try the same with her.

Those persistent admirers better fuck the hell off before they end up dead.

Messing with a Hunter's fiancé was a very, very bad idea.

Messing with a Hunter's fiancé who was also a cultivator was just fucking suicide.

Both sides of the coin better watch out before I have to kill a bastard or Rem has to Murder a ho.

The bustling streets of Padokea City buzzed with an energy that rivaled even the most frenetic districts of Kokoroini City. As we stepped off the airship, the humid air, thick with the scent of exotic spices and unfamiliar flowers, clung to us like a warm embrace. Towering skyscrapers pierced the sky, their gleaming facades reflecting the golden light of the setting sun, while throngs of people, their faces a tapestry of cultures and ethnicities, flowed through the crowded streets like a vibrant river of humanity.

"This place is… intense," I remarked, my eyes scanning the chaotic scene before us.

Rem, however, seemed less impressed. She was still fuming from the waitress incident on the airship, her blue eyes flashing with a simmering anger.

"Let's go see Kasimir," she said, her voice laced with a determined edge. "There has to be something he can do."

Before I could even ask what she was referring to, she grabbed my hand and pulled me towards a nearby alleyway. I recognized the familiar sight of a rundown shop, its storefront a jumble of gaudy trinkets and dubious promises, the unmistakable scent of magical scams wafting from within.

She stopped in front of the shop, her eyes narrowed with a focused intensity as she began the summoning ritual, her movements precise and graceful despite her simmering anger.

"You look really cute when you do that," I remarked, a playful grin spreading across my face.

She paused, a hint of a smile softening her expression. "Thank you, Tereda," she murmured, her voice regaining its warmth for a fleeting moment before her annoyance returned.

With a final clap, the air shimmered, and the familiar vortex of energy materialized before us, the whispers of magical solutions echoing from within. We stepped through the portal, finding ourselves back in Kasimir's chaotic bazaar, its shelves overflowing with a bewildering array of artifacts and oddities.

Kasimir, his usual playful smirk in place, greeted us with a flourish. "Welcome back, my favorite power couple! What wondrous treasures can I tempt you with today?"

Rem, her patience wearing thin, cut to the chase. "We need a solution," she stated, her voice sharp and demanding. "Something to make these… insects stop trying to crawl into our pants."

Kasimir's smile faltered, replaced by a look of confusion. "Insects?" he echoed, his brow furrowing. "My dear Rem, I'm not sure I understand."

"These women and men," Rem clarified, her voice laced with a mix of anger and disgust, "who keep throwing themselves at Tereda and I, despite the fact that he's wearing a wedding ring and I'm wearing a wedding ring and attire that declares me as taken. It's repulsive!"

Kasimir frowns, "I apologize, but this is the downside of cultivation. Your visual attractiveness and aura of power will only increase in intensity as your cultivation rises." He shook his head.

With his frown deepening, he continued, "Conventual illusions simply shatter upon a cultivator of sufficient power's allure, veils tear apart, masks break for no reason. I am deeply sorry."

"There has to be something," I insisted, stepping forward, my voice firm despite the knot of frustration tightening in my gut. "Even if it's temporary. Some kind of enchantment, a talisman, anything to mask this effect."

Kasimir sighed, running a hand through his hair, his usual composure seeming momentarily shaken. "There are talismans of this sort," he admitted reluctantly, "But they're rare, expensive, and notoriously fragile. The energies involved in concealing such… potent allure are difficult to contain. The talismans shatter after a single use, their effect lasting a mere three days."

"How much?" I pressed, ignoring his warnings about cost and fragility. We had a nearly limitless supply of spirit stones, and a temporary solution was better than nothing.

Kasimir, recognizing my determination, nodded resignedly. "A year's supply of talismans, enough to mask your current… presence for three days at a time, would cost fifty high-quality spirit stones. They're typically used by Immortals and Daolords to protect their daughters when they descend to the mortal realm."

He paused, shaking his head as if baffled by the sheer absurdity of the situation. "Even with their immense power, they struggle to create lasting enchantments that can withstand the allure of a Xiantian cultivator. It defies conventional magic."

"Fifty high-quality spirit stones," I repeated, a calculating glint in my eye. "And how much for a stack of ten thousand?"

Kasimir's eyes widened. "Ten… ten thousand?" he sputtered, his voice a mix of disbelief and grudging admiration. "My dear Tereda, that's... excessive, even for you. But if you're determined."

He quoted an astronomical price of 500000, but I didn't even flinch at the barely drop in the bucket compared to the 2 trillion I had. I retrieved the spirit stones from my storage ring, their vibrant energies pulsing faintly as I placed them on the counter. "We'll take them."

Kasimir, shaking his head in amusement, snapped his fingers, and a towering stack of intricately crafted talismans materialized beside the spirit stones.

Each talisman, a thin sheet of jade-like material etched with glowing runes, pulsed with a subtle energy that felt both alluring and dangerous.

I picked up two talismans, handing one to Rem. "Here, love," I said, my voice softening. "Let's give these a try."

The moment our fingers brushed against the talismans, they shattered, dissolving into a fine powder that vanished into the air.

A wave of warmth washed over us as a soft light engulfed our bodies, a visual illusion that subtly altered our appearances, masking the full extent of our features.

We glanced at each other, our reflections in the nearby mirror now resembling our former selves.

The captivating magnetism that had drawn unwanted attention had been toned down, replaced by a more subdued, almost mundane, beauty.

"Interesting," Rem murmured, tilting her head, her blue eyes studying our reflections. "It feels… different. Like a part of me is hidden, but the power remains."

Kasimir, observing us with a shrewd eye, nodded in satisfaction. "The illusion will last for three days," he reminded us. "Return when it no longer reduces your attractiveness as much. The next level of concealment, however, is considerably more expensive—and just as fragile."

We thanked him, a sense of relief mingled with a lingering frustration at the limitations of even the most powerful enchantments.

We had a reprieve, but the problem remained.

We stepped back through the portal, the bustling city streets welcoming us back with a familiar cacophony of sounds and smells.

Finally, no more people staring.

I didn't notice the momentary smirk as he nodded at the spirit stones behind me.

The cool night air of Padokea City washed over us as we exited Heavens Arena, the towering structure's neon lights casting long, distorted shadows across the bustling streets.

Three months we'd spent within those walls, battling our way through the lower floors, amassing wins, and pushing our cultivation to new heights.

We were floor masters now, our names etched on the plaques of the 200th floor, a testament to our strength and skill.

But the victory felt hollow, the journey lacking.

Rem, beside me, kicked at a loose cobblestone, her expression a mask of frustrated disappointment. "Three months wasted," she grumbled, her voice sharp with annoyance. "All that training, and for what? We barely broke a sweat."

I nodded, Ignoring the projectile that's probably going to give someone a bad day far in the distance, sharing her frustration. "Ten wins, a floor master title, and we've reached the 3rd level of Xiantian," I muttered, shoving my hands into the pockets of my enchanted suit. "Even then, not once, NOT ONCE, did we face a real challenge!"

My gaze drifted towards the towering heights of Heavens Arena, my thoughts lingering on a particular individual I had hoped to encounter.

"I was really looking forward to fighting Chrollo Lucilfer," I said, my voice laced with a hint of regret. "He's supposed to be one of the strongest Nen users in the world."

Rem snorted, her blue eyes flashing with a mix of irritation and boredom. "Maybe you scared everyone off with your 'annihilate everything in sight sword' Hatsu," she said, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "Word travels fast to those connected to Heavens Arena. I bet even Chrollo heard about your 'Shometsu Ken' and decided to take a vacation."

I smirked, a surge of pride momentarily eclipsing my frustration. "If 'Shometsu Ken' scared them," I said, my voice laced with a confident swagger, "then no one's ready for 'Shometsu Kyu.'"

The plush seats of the first-class train compartment welcomed us into their embrace.

I sank into the cushions, letting out a contented sigh as the rhythmic rumble of the train's engines lulled me into a state of near relaxation.

Rem, beside me, her head resting lightly on my shoulder, seemed to share my sentiment, her blue eyes closed as she drifted into a light doze.

For a few blissful moments,all anxieties faded away, replaced by the simple pleasures of comfortable travel and Rem's warm presence beside me.

Then, a voice, harsh and out of place amidst the quiet murmurs of the other passengers, shattered the tranquil atmosphere.

"Yeah, we're in position," the voice crackled through a nearby intercom, its tone too casual, too laced with a barely concealed excitement to belong to a train employee. "The target's ripe for the picking. Are you ready?"

Rem's eyes snapped open, her gaze hardening as she turned towards the source of the voice was a man in a maintenance worker's uniform, fiddling with a panel near the train door, his back to us.

"Thieves," she muttered, her voice low and dangerous, a flicker of her Oni rage igniting in her eyes. "They dare to interrupt our peace. I should tear them limb from limb."

She started to rise from her seat, her hand instinctively reaching for the hidden weapons concealed beneath her kimono.

I caught her arm, gently but firmly pulling her back down.

"Patience, Rem," I whispered, my voice calm but laced with a steely edge. "Let's not spoil the surprise. We'll get them all at once."

She glared at me, her eyes blazing with a suppressed fury. "Fine," she hissed, her voice barely audible. "But I'm breaking something."

I chuckled softly, knowing better than to argue with her when she was in this mood. Rem's definition of "breaking something" was often breaking everything.

Literally no bone spared.

The would-be thieves, a ragtag group of eight additional men armed with knives and crude pistols, burst into the first-class compartment, their faces masked with bandanas, their eyes wide with a mixture of greed, excitement and fear.

Obvious amateurs.

"Alright, everyone, hands where we can see them!" one of them shouted, his voice cracking with nervous bravado. "This is a robbery! Don't try anything stupid, or you'll get hurt!"

His words were met with a wave of terrified gasps from the other passengers.

Except for Rem and me.

We exchanged a knowing glance, a silent agreement passing between us.

Then, with a synchronized burst of speed, we were upon them.

The next few seconds were a blur of motion. Rem, her movements swift, danced through their ranks, her spatially compressed flail materializing in her hand with a metallic clinking noise.

Her strikes were swift and brutal, her spiked ball cracking bones and sending bodies flying.

I moved with equal speed, my enchanted suit shimmering as I weaved through the chaos, my blade flashing, cutting tendons and severing nerves, a silver streak attached to a black blur that disarmed and disabled with surgical precision.

Within moments, the would-be thieves lay groaning on the floor, their limbs twisted at unnatural angles, their weapons scattered, their dreams of quick riches shattered by our overwhelming power.

Rem, her initial fury replaced by a satisfied smirk, surveyed the scene with a critical eye. "Not bad," she said, her voice laced with a playful darkness. "But a few more broken bones wouldn't hurt."

Before I could even respond, the conductor, his face pale with a mixture of fear and gratitude, rushed into the compartment, his eyes wide with shock.

"My god!" he exclaimed, his voice trembling. "You… you saved us! Thank you, Hunters! You are true heroes!"

He bowed deeply, his face etched with a look of profound respect.

"As a token of our gratitude," he continued, "we'd like to offer you a complimentary upgrade to a private cabin. It's the least we can do."

We accepted the offer, grateful for a moment of peace and quiet after the chaotic encounter.

As we settled into the plush comfort of our private cabin, the rhythmic rumble of the train's engines pulling us back into a state of relaxed anticipation, I couldn't help but feel a sense of satisfaction.

We helped save these people.

It seemed like crazy stuff happened everywhere.

Even on a seemingly mundane train journey.

I leaned back to relax, we had a long train ride still ahead of us.

—-

Rem chuckled, her fingers intertwining with mine. "Or maybe," she teased, "we'll just enjoy some delicious street food and watch the world go by."

I opened my mouth to respond, but as the train pulled into Yorknew City's grand station, a sense of unease prickled at the edges of my awareness.

The usually bustling platform was eerily deserted, the air thick with a stillness that felt more ominous than peaceful.

I stepped off the train, my hand instinctively reaching for the hilt of my sword, its comforting weight a familiar reassurance amidst the growing unease.

"Something's not right, Where have all the passengers gone? It's like they stopped existing mid-conversation." Rem murmured, her voice low and cautious.

I nodded, my senses on high alert. A faint pulse of danger, a subtle shift in the air's pressure, alerted me to a presence nearby, a power that dwarfed anything we had encountered before.

I grinned, a battle-hungry excitement surging through me, the promise of a true challenge chasing away the lingering weariness of our recent failure to find any challenge at Heavens Arena.

Rem, mirroring my grin, her eyes gleaming with a mixture of anticipation and a hint of fear, tightened her grip on my hand and let go.

We turned, our gazes drawn towards a figure standing at the far end of the platform.

He was an old man, his hair silvered with age, his face a canvas of wrinkles etched by time and experience. He wore a simple, purple half-kimono with a pair of bright white martial arts pants, its fabric flowing around him like a gentle breeze.

But beneath his seemingly frail exterior, I could sense a power that radiated outwards, a cold, calculating intensity that made the air crackle.

And on his chest, a familiar scroll, its black ink and white paper stark against the purple silk, proclaimed his deadly purpose.

One Paid Kill A Day.

It was Killua's grandfather.

Zeno Zoldyck.

"I've been waiting for you," Zeno said, his voice a raspy whisper that somehow carried across the deserted platform, cutting through the silence like a razor-sharp blade. "I'm glad someone finally paid for my time. Now I can finally collect on a debt long overdue."

His perpetually closed eyes opened and his gaze locked onto mine, his eyes as cold and sharp as shards of ice. "You killed my favorite grandson," he said, his voice devoid of any emotion. "And now, you will pay the price."

He moved, his body blurring into a phantom of speed, his presence vanishing from the platform in an instant.

But our enhanced senses, honed by years of training shoved into us by the amulets and amplified by the enchantments woven into our rings, tracked his movements with only slight difficulty, his aura a faint and hidden by In, but an unmistakable beacon to our powerful Nen.

Rem, beside me, moved with equal speed, her blue eyes narrowed in focus, her aura flaring with intensity.

"He won't escape us," she said, her voice laced with a chilling calm.

Zeno, his form re-materializing atop a nearby building, his eyes widening in surprise, stared at us with a newfound respect.

"Interesting," he murmured, a flicker of curiosity replacing his initial coldness. "You can see me at that speed? Very well. Let the hunt begin."

We arrived at a large rooftop that stretched before us, a tall but wide skyscraper, a concrete expanse bathed in the cold, silver light of the moon.

The city below, its usual nocturnal hum replaced by an unsettling silence, felt like a world holding its breath, awaiting the clash of titans.

Zeno stood across from us, his frail form a stark contrast to the immense power he radiated.

His eyes, those icy shards, locked onto mine with a chilling intensity.

Then, he moved.

Not a single twitch, no telltale shift in his aura or direction of killing intent, just a sudden, overwhelming presence that multiplied into a hundred identical figures, each radiating the same cold, calculating energy.

The Rhythm Echo, amplified to a level that defied conventional technique, filled the rooftop with a dizzying array of afterimages.

But for Rem and me, the illusion was transparent.

Our enhanced senses, amplified by Nen and Chi, pierced through the deception.

We saw the true Zeno, his aura, though masked by In, a beacon amidst the flickering mirages.

I didn't need confirmation.

I could only see one of them was hidden by In. That identification drew me towards a specific point amidst the chaos.

Without hesitation, I channeled my chi and Nen, my aura flaring, my sword singing as it left its scabbard.

"Annihilation Blade," I whispered, activating my first Hatsu.

Chi, the primal energy that coursed through my meridians, amplified my Nen, doubling its distribution capability.

Ryu, a reactive aura of protection, enveloped my body, while Shu, a concentrated flow of Nen, surged into my sword, its edge humming with a barely perceptible distortion.

Gyo, a technique that enhanced vision at the lowest level and created a devastating impact at the highest, focused on the blade, I then focused, forcing the Nen to vibrate at a frequency that warped the very air around us.

My sword, now a conduit for annihilation, radiated a faint, almost invisible distortion that seemed to devour the air around it even as it lit on fire.

I charged forward, the concrete beneath my feet disintegrating as I moved, the annihilation field surrounding my blade extending outwards, erasing everything in its path.

Zeno, his eyes widening in genuine surprise, bolted backward.

For a fleeting moment, terror flickered across his face, a stark contrast to his usual stoic demeanor.

But just as quickly, his expression hardened, his fear mastered and masked by years of training as an assassin.

He landed on a nearby rooftop, a safe distance from my reach, his body already shifting, preparing for his next move.

"That is an impressive abomination of a Hatsu," he conceded, his voice laced with a grudging admiration. "I don't believe there's an Enhancer in the world who could match that level of destructive power."

He smirked, his aura flaring, transforming into a shimmering, serpentine form that coiled around him, its scales crackling with a golden energy.

"But I don't intend to be Hit by that."

A massive Eastern Lightning Dragon, its eyes seemingly glowing with a malevolent intelligence, materialized beside him. It flew into the air with speed and before anyone could react it struck the old man like an actual bolt from the skies, its form merged with Zeno's, amplifying his already formidable power.

"Walking Like a Dragon," he announced, his voice resonating with a newfound strength and the crackle of golden lightning.

His aura, now imbued with the dragon's vast eclectic current, pressed against me, a palpable wave of pressure that made my skin crawl.

I felt a surge of adrenaline, a primal instinct for survival kicking in.

I darted backward as he moved.

Rem POV

Zeno's transformation was a spectacle of raw power, a shimmering dragon of Nen coiling around him, its energy crackling with a palpable intensity.

He was a force of nature, his aura now infused with the dragon's might, radiating a pressure that made the air itself tremble.

But within that surge of power, within Zeno's predatory focus on Tereda, I saw an opportunity. A fleeting gap in his defenses, a blind spot created by his unwavering intent to crush my beloved.

I moved, my body a blur of cerulean light, my movements guided by instinct and the precision honed through countless hours of simulated combat.

Zeno's attention was locked on Tereda, his every thought focused on delivering a devastating blow.

He wouldn't see me coming.

My new flail, a weapon I had meticulously crafted within Kasimir's multi-purpose crafting chamber, materialized in my hand, its spiked ball gleaming with a cold, metallic light.

I extended the chain, its enchanted links whispering through the air as I channeled my Nen, wrapping Shu and Gyo around the weapon, amplifying its speed and precision.

The spiked ball hurtled towards the back of Zeno's head, a silent, deadly projectile aimed at a vulnerable point he had left exposed in his eagerness to confront Tereda.

He sensed the attack at the last moment, his honed instincts screaming a warning.

He twisted aside, the spiked ball whistling past his ear, its razor-sharp edges missing their mark by a hair's breadth.

But I had anticipated his dodge.

"Multifaceted Shockwave," I whispered, activating my Hatsu.

My aura, a surge of protective Ryu, flared around me as I channeled my Nen further into Gyo, forcing it to pulse within the flail, creating a ripple effect that extended outwards the moment the spiked ball passed Zeno's head.

A massive shockwave, invisible to the naked eye but palpable in its concussive force, erupted from the dodged attack, slamming into Zeno's back with the force of a detonating bomb.

He staggered, caught off guard by the unexpected assault. The shockwave ripped through his defenses, shattering the bones of his left arm with a sickening crunch, sending him hurtling backward across the rooftop.

The silence that followed was deafening, broken only by the ragged gasps of Zeno's breath and the faint clinking of my flail's chain as I retracted it, the spiked ball returning to my hand with a satisfying thud.

The battle had begun.

And I had landed the first blow.

But then Zeno's eyes were in front of mine.

For an instant I felt nothing and then I was in Tereda's arms as he shook in my arms, We both collapsed into each other as Tereda stroked my hair. "He will pay for that, Rem."

I noticed we were back in our suite at heavens arena in Padokia city. I guess we died again.

Tereda POV.
Abandoned timeline.
The silence on top of the Yorknew Grand Hotel building was deafening, broken only by the ragged gasps of my own breath.

I walked towards Rem, her body still, her eyes vacant, the vibrant blue of her aura and the light in her eyes extinguished.

Dead.

Again.

I stared at her lifeless form, a wave of grief so profound, so overwhelming, that it threatened to shatter my very being. But beneath the grief, a burning rage ignited, a primal fury that consumed every other emotion, every rational thought.

Zeno.

He had taken her from me.

My gaze shifted towards the distance, my eyes piercing through the distance and across the cityscape, towards the distant rooftop where Zeno stood, his form a silhouette against the cold, silver light of the moon.

"You…" I whispered, my voice a raspy growl, my words laced with a venom that chilled even me. "You will pay for this."

I rose to my feet, Rem's lifeless body cradled in my arms, her weight a featherlight burden against the crushing weight of my rage.

Her body contorted in multiple angles twisted my heart.

I strode towards the edge of the roof, my steps heavy, my aura crackling with a power that made the very air shimmer and distort.

"You will beg for death, Zeno," I said, my voice echoing through the empty suite, a chilling promise that carried across the cityscape, reaching the distant rooftop where the assassin stood. "I will break you. I will strip you of everything you hold dear. I will make you wish you had never been born."

My smile widened insanely as a disturbed look appeared on my face.

"I'll tear your nails from your hands, then the fingers from their sockets. I'll pluck your eyes out and force you to eat them, and then, when I'm finally done feeding you every organ in your body, I'll let you die."

Then, with a final, guttural roar that shattered the windows across the city, I detonated my cultivation.

The world exploded.

A blinding white light engulfed the city, a wave of pure energy rippling outwards, erasing everything in its path.

Buildings crumbled into dust, streets buckled and cracked, the very air itself igniting in a fiery inferno that consumed Yorknew City in an instant.

Nothing remained.

Only silence.

And the chilling echo of my promise.

Zeno would pay.

Back