Motley Band of Monsters (Dragon Quest Monster RP)

OP
From Slimes to Dragonlords, the Worlds of Dragon Quest is known for it's extensive bestiary. However, not many have wondered how the monsters would act if that's all there is. What would happen if the extensive lands that could be created were settled by none but monsters? What if humans had no part? How far could one go in this kind of life, and could they succeed? We can only find out...

(AN: Welcome to the Motley Band of Monsters, a brand new RP set in the Dragon Quest verse! In this RP, you will be in a small group of monsters, starting out small but eventually growing into a fearsome force that neither the final nor the secret bosses could ignore! The character sheet will be as follows:

Name:
Family:
Level:
HP:
MP:

Stats
Attack: (How Powerful your Physical Attacks will be)
Defense: (How Much Damage you can reduce from a successful attack)
Wisdom: (How Powerful your spells will be, Offensive or Supportive)
Agility: (Decides turn order, along with accuracy and dodging capability) {Think of a combined stat of speed and accuracy}

Skills
Spells:
Abilities:

Please limit your initial choices to an F rank. You will gain 20 distribution points. These points can be used to do a few things. For 5 points, you can either increase your level by 1, or learn a spell or ability of the 1st tier. 1st tier would be spells like Frizz or Woosh, and 1st tier abilities would be like flame slash. For 3 points, you can raise a stat by 1 point, a maximum of 3 times per stat. For 2 points, you can raise your max HP or MP by 5 at a maximum of 3 times per stat. I will be using the Dragon Quest Monsters Joker families, so please take that into mind when creating a sheet. All base stats will start at 5 points per stat, with 30 HP and 14 MP At Level 1.

Thank you for reading this, and I hope to have a successful RP!)

Last edited:
Might toss in a sheet, if possible. Thinking Undead, Demon, or Slime, but don't know if the first two fall within E-F.

So this could use some more lore, and world info as well as like what the game will actually be about.

(could also throw a link the advertising thread)

Also the mechanics system is a bit barebones.

A quick blurb on the stats would be nice (Does agility help you dodge? if so does defense not help you dodge? Because dodging sounds like a defense)

As well as base stats? Do we have to find a monster and use it's base stats then spend our points?
Do the stats start at 0,5?

For 2 points, you can raise your max HP or MP by 5 at a maximum of 3 per point total.
What does this sentence even mean?

I can spend 2"Advancement points", to get 5 points in HP or MP. To a maximum of 3 per point total?
Do you mean a maximum of 3 times? Thats the only way that makes sense.
But "Per point total" is ambiguous to say the least.

And this may come off a bit picking on you but I don't mean it like I'm trying to help.

You could look at some longer lasting RP OOCs and see what their ops looked like.
It is the first impression, and the rules set, and the place where you get most of the interest.

Using the Slime Family as an example, an F rank would be a regular Slime while an E rank would be a She Slime or a Snail Slime.

Last edited:
Zedalb - Lord Dracky (DEAD)
Name: Lord Dracky, The magnificent, the destroyer or worlds, god of destruction, eater of souls, bane of light, hero of greatness.
Family: Demon
HP:30
MP: 29

Stats
Attack: 5
Defense: 5
Wisdom: 8
Agility:5

Skills:

Spells:
Frizz
Abilities:

Frizz (5)
Wisdom(9)
Mana (6)

Dragon Quest Monsters Wiki
Magic & Abilities

I found these, the first one has all the families, and ranks with examples in each.
The second is magic, because it wasn't in the first.

Last edited:
You get to skip a rank. D ranks are much more powerful then F or E ranks, and generally get better stat growths per level.

Regarding Levels
Each monster gains EXP per battle. It takes 200 EXP to level up as an F rank, and more to level as higher ranks.

For Ranking up, the Progression goes as such:
F Rank: Level 10
E Rank: Level 20
D Rank: Level 30
C Rank: Level 40
B Rank: Level 50
A Rank: Level 60
S Rank: Level 80
Each time you rank up, your level is reset to 1.

You get more points every time you rank up, such as:
F to E: +15 Points
E to D: +25 points
D to C : +40 Points
C to B: +60 points
B to A: +80 points
A to S: +130 points

At D rank, you can learn 2nd tier spells and Abilities.
At B rank, you can learn 3rd tier spells and Abilities.
At S rank, you can learn 4th tier spells and Abilities.

Hmm...considering going for an E level start instead. :p

But yeah, all jokes aside, looks like getting to E should be our first priority, as F level monsters.

And what does levelling up do specifically?

Because, uh.

Since you said 'stat growths per level', I'm getting the sense that starting as an E rank would be a BAD thing.

For F rank, a d4 would be rolled for every stat, and the result would be added to it. For HP/MP, a d15 is rolled. For E rank, a d6 would be rolled for the stats, and a d20 for the HP/MP.

For F rank, a d4 would be rolled for every stat, and the result would be added to it. For HP/MP, a d15 is rolled. For E rank, a d6 would be rolled for the stats, and a d20 for the HP/MP.
So, in other words, going E rank from the start is short-sighted. You get vastly less(-5 points from the start, -15 from progresion) skills, and it takes longer to level up and you get only marginally more per level.

I dunno if rank E requires 250, 300, or more EXP per level, but average dice results are 2.5 for a d4, 8 for a d15, 3.5 for a d6 and 10.5 for a d20.

At 250, that's roughly 1.4 stat points per 100 XP vs 1.25, and 4.2 HP/MP per 100 vs 4.

At 300 it's blatantly worse in terms of progression.

Back