MLM Anime/TV/Novel/General Discussion Thread

There's a donghua and the novel is mostly translated lmao. How are you reading the fanworks without ever reading the source material lmao.

Seven Seas takes a lot of liberties with the translation, creating several big, like actually big issues. In that they are like straight up removing several moments of relationship development between WWX and LWJ. Actually trying to remove the gay from a danmei novel smh.

fanyiyi, one of the fan translators of 魔道 actually put back up her unofficial translation after taking it down because Sevens Seas's translation was so egraruously bad to the point where they were deleting whole sections of dialogue. Wang Yilin, the translator for the Mànhua quit because the editors were riding on her ass. Also they union bust.

You're better off with a fan translation, which as far as 魔道 go are pretty high quality.

Ah that sucks.
I've read the fan translations myself, and I thought that they were working with one of the original fan translators. That's what I heard they were doing with the translation of 2ha and heavens official blessing.
But that kind of editing doesn't bode well for the rest of their stuff :(

How are you reading the fanworks without ever reading the source material lmao.
The same way I read Scum Villain fanfic. Or Mass Effect fanfic. Or Worm fanfic or Boku no Hero Academia fanfic or...

Suffice to say, there's a lot of source material I haven't consumed in its entirety (if at all) before running into enjoyable fan content.

any of you guys miffed that MLM is less prominent then WLW in media? like in animated kids shows the only ones i know with a gay male main characters are Deadened and Kipo.

any of you guys miffed that MLM is less prominent then WLW in media? like in animated kids shows the only ones i know with a gay male main characters are Deadened and Kipo.
Given how much pushback there is against any sort of queer content, I'm not going to begrudge fans and creators of content featuring Women Loving Women whatever victories they can claw out of the wretched hellscape known as the entertainment industry.

Given how much pushback there is against any sort of queer content, I'm not going to begrudge fans and creators of content featuring Women Loving Women whatever victories they can claw out of the wretched hellscape known as the entertainment industry.
it's still not good enough for me queer men need representation. especially non-white and non-cis MLM like in Kipo and Deadened.

the amount of fighting people have to do to get queer themes in shows is absurd.

it's also worth noting that Deadened and Kipo are on netflix and they not being on broadcast means they have lower barriers.

View: https://youtu.be/eOQ_D3XNvdg
Assassins Kazuki Kurusu and Rei Suwa meet Miri, a girl looking for her father on Christmas Day. Kazuki, Rei, and Miri unexpectedly end up living together.

Follows Kazuki Kurusu, a criminal contractor/coordinator who lives with his best friend, Rei Suwa, a professional assassin who has been raised from childhood to be a contract killer. Kazuki is outgoing and loves gambling and women, while Rei is a man of few words who spends his off time playing video games. One day, the two buddies end up caring for Miri Unasaka, a four year old girl whose father is a mafia boss, after Miri accidentally wanders into a firefight in a hotel while looking for her father.

Probably just yaoi-teasing but still.

.... seriously? mlm is FAR more prominent in manga, light novels and so on. The only area I'd say it's less is in mainstream anime, and even there there are a LOT of subtexty mlm series.

.... seriously? mlm is FAR more prominent in manga, light novels and so on. The only area I'd say it's less is in mainstream anime, and even there there are a LOT of subtexty mlm series.
Exactly, mainstream anime, the thing a lot more people watch as opposed to reading manga and light novels.
And there is not « a lot » of subtexty mlm series, there's a couple of examples from the early 2000s: we certainly don't have anything the level of LycoReco nowadays.
Maybe there's Free!, but that's it. And OnS, but that's basically dead in the water by now.
And it's not « far more prominent » in manga and light novels, it actively needs to be hunted down by interested fans.
Compare that to something like The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady.
Because no-one writes it and no-one talks about it.
Also, yuri fans don't get bashed to hell and back by Western fandoms.

Last edited:
Is this thread also for trans stories? Or is there a separate thread for those too?

Some people on Discord discovered an upcoming light novel series called "Mimosa no Kokuhaku" (The Mimosa Confessions), about a high school boy who unexpectedly reunites with his best friend, the latter newly transitioned MtF.

Yeah, a M/M story involving a trans man would absolutely be at its place here; but Mazeka is apparently talking about a story about a trans woman, so I'd say it's not really relevant?
Shall I create a separate thread for Transgender/Intersex/Asexual fiction discussions then?

Broke: write a historical danmei

Woke: write a murder mystery historical danmei

Bespoke: write a murder mystery historical danmei as an excuse to write an alternate history where you get rid of the Haijin in time for the Age of Exploration

This is a recc for the Fourteenth Year of Chenghua novel. There isn't an official translation yet, but there is a cdrama adaptation, The Sleuth of the Ming dynasty (I haven't watch it, but I've seen it recced). The spoiler is part of the novel's extras.

MLM Vs WLW frustrates me. In Rogue Trader while there are around three WLW possible options for players the only MLM option is Marazhai.

A Sadi-machocist
Seven Seas takes a lot of liberties with the translation, creating several big, like actually big issues. In that they are like straight up removing several moments of relationship development between WWX and LWJ. Actually trying to remove the gay from a danmei novel smh.

fanyiyi, one of the fan translators of 魔道 actually put back up her unofficial translation after taking it down because Sevens Seas's translation was so egraruously bad to the point where they were deleting whole sections of dialogue. Wang Yilin, the translator for the Mànhua quit because the editors were riding on her ass. Also they union bust.
Yes they also had the workers unionize because of poor working conditions

Back