MHA Manga Spoilers-Chapter 331 Stars and Stripes Quirk

(SPOILERS AHEAD)
Dawg...what? How? Just...huh???

Okay, I'm stumped. This goes BEYOND what I thought would be possible for the established universe. OFA was confusing at first, in the sense that I couldn't see a scientific reason behind OFA seemingly holding the minds and personalities of past users-since MHA is a Super Powered setting that relies on human mutations for its power base. Then I sat down and thought about it. The quirk most probably works by thoroughly copying a person and their powers-whatever they may be-down to their genetic level and adding it to the 'memory' of OFA. Effectively making the quirk evolve with every person that holds it, which explains the increase in power for every new wielder. I can wrap my head around that-that's comprehensible.

But the American Hero Stars and Stripes Quirk...oh my lanta what? The rules of convention just got thrown out of the window. Her quirk New Order let's her touch something and establish absolute authority over it after she says its name-being able to shape and control it in any way she wants. Basically she's a reality warper. Now, power scaling aside, unless we get more info for this power, this quirk brings into question the very nature of quirk's themselves. How did they come to be? How did they initially manifest? Why are they so powerful? To use a comparison, Mutants in Marvel's X-men developed their powers through genetic evolution, like MHA. But that only came to be because a group of ancient powerful cosmic entities played around with human DNA in their early days of existence. And because of their interference, the X-Gene came to be, and eventually evolved to let certain mutants be reality benders as well. But that's just it, Mutants in Marvel came to be by cosmic powers, and wouldn't have happened otherwise. So, how did quirks come to be? Just genetic evolution? Some random accident that pushed humans towards a path of mutation? Its hard to suspend my disbelief here otherwise.

My other bone to pick with this Quirk is just how broad in scope its being treated, but with obvious loopholes to be exploited. When she touches something, she has to say its name for her power to activate-for example, in the Manga, she 'touches' the atmosphere, and after saying the word out loud, is able to mold and control the air molecules to form giant invisible version of herself to beat enemies over the head with. Understandable-what gets me is how in the middle of the fight, she has he friends in the jets fire lasers at her, and then, SOMEHOW, the giant of air molecules GRABS THE LASERS, FORMS THEM INTO ONE GIANT BEAM OF LIGHT, AND THEN STABS THE VILLAIN WITH IT!!!!! I stared at the Manga page for a good few minutes to try to comprehend what I was seeing. I just...am I missing something? Her absolute control should be over the atmosphere, did shooting the lasers out into the atmosphere make them applicable to her rule? Did they factor in as light? But light isn't technically 'part' of the atmosphere, just the various gases. I don't know, that confused me. Her Quirk is also complex in the way that she needs to have an understanding of what she's touching-she tried to take down a villain whom she thought was someone else with her quirk, but because she didn't really know who it was, it didn't work. So wait, how deep does her knowledge need to be of what she's touching? Does she need to know only the broad basic scope? Does she need to have a complex in depth understanding like Momo to affect something? Does it have a limit towards whatever is physically possible for what she's touching? All that and a whole lot more questions.

So, yeah, Stars and Stripes, interesting so far-cool power, easily one of the most powerful we've seen so far, but my lord does it confuse me. Tell me what you guys think about it.

Pretty sure it's a standard case of shounen writing degradation. Few escape it.

Personally I began to lose hope when it was revealed that One for All actually have like, a billion and one powers.

I have grievances with MHA, but I held out hope for a while. The chapters from about 300 to 320 was a breathe of fresh air and gave me renewed hope. Tartarus was broken into, Deku went out on his own, Stain was making a come back, the fight with Lady Nagant was cool, I really thought the Manga was just gonna become a serious Seinin. But...nope.

Personally I began to lose hope when it was revealed that One for All actually have like, a billion and one powers.
Same, and I dropped the manga right there. That was such an absurd and unnecesary shounen power level escalation when Deku was still struggling with his base power, that I found it hard to believe this would lead to anything but making every other hero be Yamchas.

I gave up on this manga around 150-ish when I realized it was only gesturing vaguely in the direction of political themes, and in fact has nothing to say about society. Did that ever change?

I gave up on this manga around 150-ish when I realized it was only gesturing vaguely in the direction of political themes, and in fact has nothing to say about society. Did that ever change?
I don't think so. Which sucks because the basis for the show could've focused on one of the first opening lines of the series 'All Men Are Not Created Equal'.
It would've been so much more compelling if Izuku stayed quirkless and became a hero anyway, challenging the status quo and showing what it really means to be a 'hero'.

I don't think so. Which sucks because the basis for the show could've focused on one of the first opening lines of the series 'All Men Are Not Created Equal'.
It would've been so much more compelling if Izuku stayed quirkless and became a hero anyway, challenging the status quo and showing what it really means to be a 'hero'.
Get thee gone edgy Batwank Satan :V

Okay, I'm stumped. This goes BEYOND what I thought would be possible for the established universe. OFA was confusing at first, in the sense that I couldn't see a scientific reason behind OFA seemingly holding the minds and personalities of past users-since MHA is a Super Powered setting that relies on human mutations for its power base. Then I sat down and thought about it. The quirk most probably works by thoroughly copying a person and their powers-whatever they may be-down to their genetic level and adding it to the 'memory' of OFA. Effectively making the quirk evolve with every person that holds it, which explains the increase in power for every new wielder. I can wrap my head around that-that's comprehensible.
You do know that even "people of science" can and do believe in superstitions or vaguely believe in stuff souls due to culture/society right? It's also kinda hard to consider it "just mutations" when Momo can literally create diamonds anytime she wants out of random matter.

Last edited:
Eh... Honestly, I can't blame him. Finding a way to become a hero without an obvious power of your own is such a natural conflict for a story. The problem is, of course, finding a way to do it without turning Deku into Batman or Iron Man.

If you think I'm saying he should be like Batman then you are sorely mistaken my friend. I'm saying him challenging the status quo would've made for a more gripping narrative.

You do know that even "people of science" can and do believe in superstitions or vaguely believe in stuff souls due to culture/society right?
Yes, but this isn't about peoples beliefs, this is following the set powerbase of the show. They set the rules, and so should be expected to follow them. At no point in the manga did the prospect of 'souls' factor into how a Quirk-the genetic mutation that gives people their powers-is supposed to work.

It's also kinda hard to consider it "just mutations" when Momo can literally create diamonds anytime she wants out of random matter.
Bro that's exactly what i'm saying! How can 'mutations' justify half of what these people can do? Reality Warping and Conversion of Matter just stretches the limit.
Eh... Honestly, I can't blame him. Finding a way to become a hero without an obvious power of your own is such a natural conflict for a story. The problem is, of course, finding a way to do it without turning Deku into Batman or Iron Man.
And the Manga has perfect example of how to do it. Stain's quirk didn't do squat for his physical ability and he was taking down Heroes left and right, all with just training. So why couldn't he do it? Shoot, Hagakure is literally just invisible and she got in 1A no strength or speed boost, she's basically just a normal girl. And while support gear could easily have turned him into the early version of Batman or a low powered Iron Man, the author didn't go that route.

IMO it's usually pointless to worry too much about where superpowers 'come from' or how they work in most settings, as you'll just give yourself a headache.

Look at Stands from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, for example. They can do things like turn back time, reverse the laws of cause and effect, make fiction into reality, and reset the universe. Where do they come from? Some people just naturally have them. Also there's an arrow made from a meteorite. Overall, it's not important. Just read the series for the clever and inventive usage of powers and strategies in the fights, and the mysteries slowly being revealed.

IMO it's usually pointless to worry too much about where superpowers 'come from' or how they work in most settings, as you'll just give yourself a headache.

Look at Stands from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, for example. They can do things like turn back time, reverse the laws of cause and effect, make fiction into reality, and reset the universe. Where do they come from? Some people just naturally have them. Also there's an arrow made from a meteorite. Overall, it's not important. Just read the series for the clever and inventive usage of powers and strategies in the fights, and the mysteries slowly being revealed.
Eh, you're not wrong, its just hard to accept certain things when the setting doesn't seem to stick to what it established already.

Let's first go over a few things.

Firstly, MHA would never become a "cool serious seinen" unless the publisher decides to continue the series in another magazine altogether. Right now, MHA is published in Shonen Jump, which is a magazine aimed squarely at boys in their early-to-teenage years, and the chances of it changing magazines are slim to none because the manga already makes lots of money as it is. It has more kid appeal, so the aim is naturally to try to keep it within this specific age bracket because it's more profitable.

Secondly, if you want an MHA where Deku has no powers, then you basically want an entirely different manga because Deku having superpowers has been entrenched into the narrative virtually at the very beginning. It's essentially the core conceit of the work by this point. It's fine to speculate on what a potential version of MHA with a powerless Deku would look like or write fanfiction, but if you want to have an actual discussion about the actual contents of the manga, it's basically a non-starter.

Thirdly, Stars and Stripes powers are ridiculous and operate on completely different rules compared to anything else I have seen before, but honestly, it looks cool enough that I am not inclined to even care by this point. That one is just my opinion.

Let's first go over a few things.

Firstly, MHA would never become a "cool serious seinen" unless the publisher decides to continue the series in another magazine altogether. Right now, MHA is published in Shonen Jump, which is a magazine aimed squarely at boys in their early-to-teenage years, and the chances of it changing magazines are slim to none because the manga already makes lots of money as it is. It has more kid appeal, so the aim is naturally to try to keep it within this specific age bracket because it's more profitable.

Secondly, if you want an MHA where Deku has no powers, then you basically want an entirely different manga because Deku having superpowers has been entrenched into the narrative virtually at the very beginning. It's essentially the core conceit of the work by this point. It's fine to speculate on what a potential version of MHA with a powerless Deku would look like or write fanfiction, but if you want to have an actual discussion about the actual contents of the manga, it's basically a non-starter.

Thirdly, Stars and Stripes powers are ridiculous and operate on completely different rules compared to anything else I have seen before, but honestly, it looks cool enough that I am not inclined to even care by this point. That one is just my opinion.
And thank you for the input.
1) I get that, but still, the series seemed like it was getting so much more serious and intense. But the shonen aspects just seems to drag it down from going further in its tone.
2)I get that, I do, and I've read some fics about the same premise, some worked, some didn't, but all together, the idea just seemed more compelling to me than 'have power handed to you so now you're like everyone else' instead of using your circumstances to the best of your ability to get what you want.
3)I don't refute that its cool, it is, VERY cool in fact. I'm just confused on how its supposed to operate in what the author established already.

Like, it was always going to be shounen, but it didn't have to be quite so shoeun.

Like, it was always going to be shounen, but it didn't have to be quite so shoeun.
The bit of this conversation that interests me is that from my perspective it was never not that. So it makes me wonder what people saw in it or expected from it after the initial chapters? I have to admit that this is part of the reason why I ended up dropping it somewhere around Chapter 60 or so. It wasn't doing anything new or interesting or even just notably good and I didn't expect to get much out of it beyond physically using up time.

Some optimism about the writing. For example, as no said it made gestures about systemic issues.

The bit of this conversation that interests me is that from my perspective it was never not that. So it makes me wonder what people saw in it or expected from it after the initial chapters? I have to admit that this is part of the reason why I ended up dropping it somewhere around Chapter 60 or so. It wasn't doing anything new or interesting or even just notably good and I didn't expect to get much out of it beyond physically using up time.
Plus, with the setting being in a Super Hero Setting-a rare setting in manga, it made me hope for more than what I was realistically gonna get.

Also, it was an effective dynamic giving Deku super strength and raw power while his classmates had more interesting abilities. Turning one for all into a Swiss Army knife just means it's going to be that thing where no one outside the MC matters in a fight.

I love how this turned into a 'Gripes about MHA' discussion. I just wanted to hear what everyone else thought about Stars and Stripes Quirk haha.

I love how this turned into a 'Gripes about MHA' discussion. I just wanted to hear what everyone else thought about Stars and Stripes Quirk haha.

I mean, what I know from MHA is mostly osmosis and youtube videos playing while I write and browse the intertubes. But isn't all of this like . . . kind of old news for MHA?

I mean specifically the idea that Quirks are bounded by biology, even comicbook biology?

Edit : Also the main thing I know MHA for was that it did a really good job NOT disappearing up the butt of its tournament arc.

Last edited:
Yeah, but even then, the powers were all pretty grounded in a believable sense. This new quirk just breaks the boundaries of everything that happened before.
No it doesn't. Best Jeanist can remotely control fibers including those on a person, allowing him to move and manipulate them. Mirio could become intangible and abuse the ability once he got good to launch himself at high speeds. Aizawa can look at people and erase their non-transforming quirks. Shinso can mind control people with his voice.

Chisaki could mainpulate molecular structures at will, organic and otherwise, and Eri at 6 years old could rewind someone out of existence. 13 was whipping up pocket black holes.

To say there was some "grounded" standard that quirks had to follow has no basis in reality.

Last edited:
No it doesn't. Best Jeanist can remotely control fibers including those on a person, allowing him to move and manipulate them. Mirio could become intangible and abuse the ability once he got good to launch himself at high speeds. Aizawa can look at people and erase their non-transforming quirks. Shinso can mind control people with his voice.

Chisaki could mainpulate molecular structures at will, organic and otherwise, and Eri at 6 years old could rewind someone out of existence. 13 was whipping up pocket black holes.

To say there was some "grounded" standard that quirks had to follow has no basis in reality.
Besides Eri and 13, those are all pretty low-tier powers-effective, but not that strong. And by grounded I meant that they were simple and straight forward. New Order is neither of those.

Back