Should I focus on this, or one of my other fictions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I kind of expected this. Having a mind controlling the focus + linking to the override I can see being very interesting.

Imagine if the Machine friends could actually strategize with you, instead of the piss poor whirling blade distractions they are in the game.

You know what happens next.

Well... Would really have liked if the guy actually got any lasting samage from, oh, two arrows into him. And moving around with them in him. Last time I checked, H:ZD had normal humans that aren't particularly enhanced. Cough cough, looking at you, Hallmark of another piece of fiction.

Hooray on changes to Nora! Not hooray on likely harsher HADES stuff, because having its spying thrown off might have it panicking more- or maybe it changes nothing and even makes stuff go better? Was the response in the game the most it could do, actually? I guess what's already there is pretty big to deal with, especially without the game convenience.

Well... Would really have liked if the guy actually got any lasting samage from, oh, two arrows into him. And moving around with them in him. Last time I checked, H:ZD had normal humans that aren't particularly enhanced. Cough cough, looking at you, Hallmark of another piece of fiction.

Hooray on changes to Nora! Not hooray on likely harsher HADES stuff, because having its spying thrown off might have it panicking more- or maybe it changes nothing and even makes stuff go better? Was the response in the game the most it could do, actually? I guess what's already there is pretty big to deal with, especially without the game convenience.
In the game HADES assumes Aloy died right up until she confronts him at the Tallneck to crash the Eclipse Network.

The spying was Sylens.

And the assault on the Proving was just one prong of their assault, the other side of which will he shown soon.

As I've shown, I'm scaling the world up a bit. Thousands where there were hundreds, to make it more realistic.

Then, the ringing of a machine gun filled the air as bullets flew. "Forget the others," the leader's angry voice echoed as everyone ducked for cover. "Focus on the Red-hair. She cannot be allowed to escape!"

"Wait, they're here for me?!" Aloy exclaimed, eyes wide as she shared a look with Vala. "Why me?" The dark-skinned girl shrugged, at a loss for words.
I don't remember. Did they explicitly call out they wanted her in the game?

This is a damn fine fic. Horizon Zero Dawn ranks at the top of my list of favorite games. There's a dearth of good HZD fics and thus this is a welcome addition to my collection of good fics. Kudos to you and i eagerly await for more of this gem

The chapter 7 update prompted me to replay the game and I just finished it. I'm looking forward to where this is going, especially since I doubt Sylens will end up quite as happy in this story. (Time to go lose a week to Forbidden West now, never actually played that one)

This is a damn fine fic. Horizon Zero Dawn ranks at the top of my list of favorite games. There's a dearth of good HZD fics and thus this is a welcome addition to my collection of good fics. Kudos to you and i eagerly await for more of this gem
Don't suppose you know another HZD fic for me to sink my teeth into while we asit for the next chapter?

Don't suppose you know another HZD fic for me to sink my teeth into while we asit for the next chapter?
Fics that interest me? No. AO3 has plenty of fics though. Fics like this one are rare and more to the point is the fact i haven't searched much. Too much to read already.

It's going to be fairly interesting to see this fics progression, so while i wait, i may seek out other fics in the hopes of finding a good HZD fic

"I'm... Hmm. Actually, now that I think about it, I don't remember my name." It was true. There was a blank spot in my mind. I remembered aliases, but anything related to my given name was gone. That's disturbing. "Regardless, you would call me an 'Old One'."
Ironic. Far Zenith explored the possibility of finding out how to transfer their consciousness in digital form, only to fail, managing to copy the contents of their minds, and abandoning the project altogether rather than pursue the mystery of the soul further.

Meanwhile, on the world they long abandoned, one singular Focus may hold the key for the transcendence of humanity and A.I. alike....

Ironic. Far Zenith explored the possibility of finding out how to transfer their consciousness in digital form, only to fail, managing to copy the contents of their minds, and abandoning the project altogether rather than pursue the mystery of the soul further.
Well I'd attribute that to Far Zenith being entirely made up of finance bros, influencers, trust fund babies, and Steve Jobs wannabes. The only real "scientist" they had was Tilda, who's only notable achievement was creating a spy program out of a fake art detector. They're all fundamentally shallow and vapid people who're only made dangerous through their technology.

Well I'd attribute that to Far Zenith being entirely made up of finance bros, influencers, trust fund babies, and Steve Jobs wannabes. The only real "scientist" they had was Tilda, who's only notable achievement was creating a spy program out of a fake art detector. They're all fundamentally shallow and vapid people who're only made dangerous through their technology.
Well, they also had Song Jiao, who likely had a hand in the immortality Far Zenith acquired, and they probably had a few others with scientific backgrounds to help build and maintain everything at the beginning....

But yeah, after centuries of enduring life, lazing about their V.R. suites and likely having their A.I. agents doing most, if not ALL the hard work in scientific research and development, I reckon they eventually became no better than the others who only got aboard the escape shuttle because of their extreme wealth, rather than their scientific/technological expertise.

Machines are just as delicate as humans
Yes, steel & cabling can easily be punched through with an arrow. Clearly the world should have fought the faro bots with arrows. /s

On a more serious note, I do hope you plan to make fighting a Faro warbot utterly suicidal because if tribe of spear welding humans can take down a scifi "Warmachine" I am going to conclude they all have a "Lose to all humans that fight back" command built into them. Its the only thing that will make sence.

Last edited:
On a more serious note, I do hope you plan to make fighting a Faro warbot utterly suicidal because if tribe of spear welding humans can take down a scifi "Warmachine" I am going to conclude they all have a "Lose to all humans that fight back" command built into them. Its the only thing that will make sence.
My head canon is that the self replicating machines use very little metal. It's almost all carbon fiber and hydrocarbon plastics. It's the only way they can replicate at any level of speed since they don't bother recycling metal from buildings, cars, and all the other things laying around in the game.

So they are closer to high attack low defense glass cannons, it doesn't matter if some get destroyed when there are a thousand more already climbing over the bodies to reach you.

Last edited:
My head canon is that the self replicating machines use very little metal. It's almost all carbon fiber and hydrocarbon plastics. It's the only way they can replicate at any level of speed since they don't bother recycling metal from buildings, cars, and all the other things laying around in the game.

So they are closer to high attack low defense glass cannons, it doesn't matter if some get destroyed when there are a thousand more already climbing over the bodies to reach you.
It's still a giant war machine designed to kill, carbon fibre & many plastics are still VERY tough compared to squishy meat bodies. There is no way a sharpened metal spear is going to get through that. Against a small bot like a watcher I could see that if you prepare right but against the bigger stuff like a scrapper I can very easily see it slaughtering its way through a small village.

Fun fact, I've actually shot a compound crossbow (which is in a completely different league compared to a bow in terms of power) at an old carbon fiber boat that was being scrapped, the arrowhead didn't even penetrate all the way through the relatively thin material.

Last edited:
One little thing about the Faro bots in the game. They have been rusting and rotting while exposed to many unforgiving elements including time for close to a thousand years. They are in no way in any good condition.

One little thing about the Faro bots in the game. They have been rusting and rotting while exposed to many unforgiving elements including time for close to a thousand years. They are in no way in any good condition.
200,000 years, not 1000. Considering most things have rusted into nothing, me thinks they can repair themselves back to full function. Would make sense there would be only a few surviving faro bots left.

EDIT: Anyway, back to my original point, unless the farobot is crippled & half-blind, I don't see how anyone could ever take them down.

Last edited:
Thinking on it further, something as complex as the human consciousness inhabiting something as "rudimentary" as a Focus would definitely throw many of the known A.I.s for a loop.

From their perspective they may be in the presence of something that could only be considered supernatural, a "miracle" as humans would say.. and that perhaps they themselves aren't really using what space they each have efficiently if a whole mind/soul with it's "heuristic density" can fit inside a focus.

CYAN: Would you mind opening a link so that we may share data? I promise to be as accommodating as possible.

KOA: .....Say what now?

Er, wait huh? Pretty sure the game is like, a thousand or so years in the future, not hundreds of? And don't think there were any precursor aliens or so
This is one of the most annoying parts of the game.

While lore stated by Elisabet about Zero Dawn says the earth would be ready to repopulate after a few hundred years. Given about 600 years of Terreaforming and 400 years since human repopulation; 1000 years makes sense from that point of view....

Other parts of the game, such as the abundance of stalagmites and stalactites in all the ruins Aloy delves, indicate it's been much, much longer. Stalagmites and stalactites only grow 10cm per 1000 years. There is no way they'd be as large as we see in the game if it was the case.

So, maybe 15-30,000 years, which makes sense. GAIA wasn't expected to get it right the first time; that's the whole point of HADES after all. That's roughly a meter and a half to three meter long Stalagmites. Makes sense, looking at the game.

Was going to go with 300,000 which I've seen thrown around, but upon looking again it was 350,000 days, which is about 900-1000 years.

All in all? We don't have any fucking clue. I'm using 30,000 years tho. Makes more sense for the rusted, decaying husks of cities and such.

Last edited:
Back