Lost on the Road of Life (An AU Naruto Quest)

Voting is open
Goals
1. Figure out the mystery of what's going on in leaf (long as we're working towards it, I feel like it Kakashi will justify most diversions).
2. Convince the world that he's the leaders of a minor hidden village, but nobody can agree on which one.
3. Make Kakashi 2-4 friends. Make sure at least half live for a few years. Kakashi needs friends.
4. Have one of our exploits inspire Jiraiya's writing (in a way that doesn't violate SV rules, since Kakashi is still a kid) and get said book autographed while still being a missingnin.

Oh hey, we got one of my 4 goals for Kakashi! Nice! 2 is long-term, though it's never too late to start, but I think we need more personal power first.

What leads do we currently have on what happened in leaf... More than a year ago in character. Geeze, at this rate we may die to Naruto before figuring things out.

[]Try to find some info brokers, but be somewhat frugal. Your not-so-bottomless wallet needs to remain somewhat full if you don't want to have to take the odd A-rank for a payday.(Spend 40% of your remaining cash)
[]Dig deep to try to acquire some solid intel. Money is meaningless unless you can use it for goods and services. Future you can figure out a good way to get more of it. (Spend 70% of your remaining cash)
[]Spare no expense in your pursuit of good information. It is quite possible that your success hinges on whether you learn a critical detail during your short stay here.(Spend 90% of your remaining cash)
[]Head back to check in on Sugiyama and Ameri. Perhaps Sugiyama would be able to assist you with acquiring intel?
[] (Write-in)
What leads do we currently have on what happened in leaf...
An interesting question! Perhaps investing in some information acquisition might be a good idea...

Looking at Ameri's character sheet, and I'm a little concerned about how low her Physique stat is. I know that, as a stealth spec, if she's in open combat, then something's already gone wrong... but more Physique means more stress boxes.

60Stealth
50AlertnessAthletics
40DeceitGenjutsuRanged Weapons
30ChakraEmpathyPresenceC.G. Barrier
20IntimidationMedknowPhysiqueResolveSurvival Substitution
10ExaminationMedninRapportTaijutsuWind WallVac Step

However, Ameri will also need to raise her Chakra Reserves —especially if she wants to summon strong melee Summons, so that she can maintain an appropriate distance as a Ranged Weapons user. And, while we don't know the exact details of LotRoL's Vacuum Step, the version of the jutsu in MfD is pretty strong.

I've attached three possible directions for Ameri's build to go, in the mid-term.

1 -> Main Goal is to raise her Physique to 40, which gives her another stress box (more HP, basically)
2 -> Main Goal is to raise Vac Step to 40 (if the mechanics are the same as MfD, this greatly improves her ability to dodge/flee)
3 -> Main Goal is to raise Vac Step and Chakra Reserves to 40 (same as 2, and gives her more mana)

60Stealth
50AlertnessAthletics
40DeceitGenjutsuRanged WeaponsPhysique
20IntimidationMedknowResolveSurvivalSubstitution
10ExaminationMedninRapportTaijutsuWind WallVac Step

It's really just the one step: Physique straight to 40

60Stealth
50AlertnessAthletics
40DeceitGenjutsuR. WeaponsVac Step
20IntimidationMedknowPhysiqueResolveSurvivalSubstitution
10ExaminationMedninRapportTaijutsuWind WallSummoningTrapmaking

Summoning to 10
Trapmaking to 10
Vac Step straight to 40

60Stealth
50AlertnessAthletics
40DeceitGenjutsuR. WeaponsChakraVac Step
30EmpathyPresenceC.G. BarrierIntimidationRapport
20MedknowPhysiqueResolveSurvivalSubstitutionTrapmaking
10ExaminationMedninTaijutsuWind WallSummoningM. Weapons

(steps to be typed later)

What do y'all think?

Edit: edited for monocolumns

Last edited:
I'm still in the boat of raising VS to 40, it's a very strong jutsu.

BTW, will she be allowed to monocolumn like that? A 70 with only one supporting 60 seem like the kind of shenanigans the QMs want to avoid (so Kakashi doesn't get like taijutsu 79 immediately). I'm also not sure there's too much point, Stealth 60 with Stealth stunts & especially with timeladder means the utility of bumping to Stealth 70 is probably not as large as the utility of cranking some survival stats. Otherwise, looks good

I'm still in the boat of raising VS to 40, it's a very strong jutsu.

BTW, will she be allowed to monocolumn like that? A 70 with only one supporting 60 seem like the kind of shenanigans the QMs want to avoid (so Kakashi doesn't get like taijutsu 79 immediately). I'm also not sure there's too much point, Stealth 60 with Stealth stunts & especially with timeladder means the utility of bumping to Stealth 70 is probably not as large as the utility of cranking some survival stats. Otherwise, looks good
I'll admit that I haven't done the math on how much XP this'll all cost, and that it's a surface-level build suggestion.

I also fully expect this to become (mostly) useless once we learn about her jutsu and bloodline mechanics... I'm mostly just trying to avoid thinking about Thanksgiving, tbh.

Adhoc vote count started by MMKII on Nov 23, 2022 at 8:51 PM, finished with 33 posts and 6 votes.

[X] (Jutsu) Buy Radiant Javelin
    [X] Offer to do an side quest errand in lieu of payment.
    [X] Head back to check in on Sugiyama and Ameri. Perhaps Sugiyama would be able to assist you with acquiring intel? Ask them to utilize disguise kits to help hide Kakashi's identity.
    [X]Spare no expense in your pursuit of good information. It is quite possible that your success hinges on whether you learn a critical detail during your short stay here.(Spend 90% of your remaining cash)

I am extending voting somewhat given that I'll be busy today and tomorrow.

[X]Dig deep to try to acquire some solid intel. Money is meaningless unless you can use it for goods and services. Future you can figure out a good way to get more of it. (Spend 70% of your remaining cash)

[X]Dig deep to try to acquire some solid intel. Money is meaningless unless you can use it for goods and services. Future you can figure out a good way to get more of it. (Spend 70% of your remaining cash)

Because being able to keep enough money to just throw it at menial problems does sound quite nice, and that sort of sidequest could be a nice couple chapters of hijinx.

Last edited:
Yeah I mostly want to preferentially do side quests partially to get us some XP and partially to keep the coffers full.

Adhoc vote count started by MMKII on Nov 25, 2022 at 1:56 PM, finished with 39 posts and 6 votes.

[X] Head back to check in on Sugiyama and Ameri. Perhaps Sugiyama would be able to assist you with acquiring intel? Ask them to utilize disguise kits to help hide Kakashi's identity.
    [X]Spare no expense in your pursuit of good information. It is quite possible that your success hinges on whether you learn a critical detail during your short stay here.(Spend 90% of your remaining cash)

Scheduled vote count started by MMKII on Nov 19, 2022 at 11:08 PM, finished with 39 posts and 6 votes.

Jutsu Proposal Drop!

Jutsu for Kakashi to TH/
Jutsu for Plausible QM Use
Idea Twenty-Four: Fire Spirit's Binds
Description: Fire Lasso that tangles
TypeBlockStrain
ElementFire
Effect1 to AB+10, 30, 60
DurationSeconds+10
Durability3+47
Range0 (same zone)
Casting SpeedStandard
AOEDefault (1 target)
AdvantageDifferent stat roll+30
AdvantageBreaks Explosively+20
DisadvantageBreaks Painfully-20
Casting Cost(97/5) = 19.4 CP
This jutsu forms a Fire Element chakra construct in the shape of a lasso. The user makes a Ranged Weapons attack at a single target within range. This construct is Weapons:0 and deals elemental damage.

Upon a successful hit, the enemy gains an Aspect "Bound," upon which the user gets a free tag. The duration of this confinement ends during the caster's next turn, freeing the enemy.

The enemy, once bound, can choose to overpower the jutsu's durability, but will take [Effect] Stress as a result of the Fire Element chakra shell exploding. When this happens, the caster receives a Fragile Aspect called "Surprise Stress Headache" that lasts until the caster's next turn.

Jutsu Proposal Drop

Jutsu for Kakashi to TH/
Idea Twenty-Five: Dance of the Lightning Bugs
Description: AOE Lightning Block
TypeBlockStrain
ElementLightning
Effect1 to AB+10, 30, 60...
DurationHalf Minute+30
Durability
Range1 (adjacent zone)+60
Casting SpeedStandard
AOEEntire Zone+40
Casting Cost28, 32, 38... CP140, 160, 190... Strain
The entire area becomes filled with a bunch of random zig/zagging sparks. When a ninja wants to move, they must make an Athletics check against the jutsu's Level. If they fail, they take [Effect] Stress. This jutsu does not exclude the caster.

Idea Twenty-Six: Spite of the Buried
Description: Combat Restraint/Block
TypeBlockStrain
ElementEarth
Effect1 to AB+10, 30, 60...
DurationHalf Minute+30
Durability
Range0 (Same Zone)
Casting SpeedStandard
AOE3 specific targets all of whom are in range+(20*3) = +60
AdvantageImpose Penalty (Athletics): [Effect]+15
Casting Cost23, 27, 33... CP115, 135, 165... strain
This jutsu causes a bunch of small stone arms/hands to rise from the ground and grab 3 designated targets. Each target must Roll vs Athletics. Targets who fail this roll will receive an Aspect along the lines of "Ah, it's got me!" upon which, the caster gets a free tag. This represents the target being caught by the stone arms/hands that the technique produces.

The Aspect persists until the technique's duration ends or until the target succeeds against an Athletics check with a TN equal to the caster's initial jutsu level. While the Aspect persists, the target cannot leave their current zone or use the Substitution Technique, and they lose [Effect] points from Athletics rolls.

Idea Twenty-Seven: Hermit's Hut
Description: Portable Stone Hut
TypeManeuverStrain
ElementEarth
Effect1+10
DurationAn Instant+10
Durability4+82
Range0 (same zone)
Casting SpeedA Minute
AOESame Zone+40
AdvantageConditional Permanence+10
DisadvantageCooldown: 12 hours(-20)
DisadvantageVolatile Chakra Shell(-20)
Casting Cost22.4 CP112 strain
This jutsu creates a stone triangular prism, in the form of a hut. The sides where each stone plane meet have irregular gaps that create a necessary air flow. Inside the prism is a raised stone platform with soft soil atop it, serving as a workable bed.

If cast on Earth, this chakra construct becomes actual earth (rather than just a chakra construct). If this jutsu is not cast on Earth, then exists for an instant before loudly exploding for Effect damage.

Last edited:
Jutsu Proposal Drop

Jutsu for Kakashi to TH/
Idea Twenty-Eight: Possession of the Earth Golem
Description: Remember when Toph encased herself in metal on the Airship? Like that, but with Earth Element Chakra
TypeBlockStrain
ElementEarth
Effect1 to AB+10, +30, +60...
DurationA minute+60
Durabilityn/a
Range-2 (personal)
Casting SpeedStandard
AOESingle Target (caster)
DisadvantageBreaks Painfully(-20)
DisadvantageProhibits Handseals(-20)
Casting Cost6, 10, 16...CP30, 50, 80 strain
The caster is engulfed in an Earth Element chakra shell. The chakra shell incases each hand as a single unit (think: boxing glove) and the user cannot form handseals. This does not change their ninja hands' weapon rating.

• The caster gets ablative physical armor equal to (1/2) Effect.
  • The jutsu ends when the duration of the jutsu ends, or when the user takes a Consequence.
    • When the latter occurs, the jutsu explodes, causing Effect damage to everyone within melee of the user, including the user.
  • Lightning jutsu ignores the armor completely.

Jutsu Proposal Drop

Jutsu Proposals
(For Kakashi or QM use)
Idea Twenty-Nine: Spiraling Senbon
Description: Weak Wind Attack with Lightning Chakra's Anti-Earth properties
TypeAttackStrain
ElementWind
Effect2+20
DurationInstant
Durabilityn/a
RangeAdjacent Zone+20
Casting SpeedA minute(-20)
AOESingle Target
AdvantageAdditional Effect+80
Casting Cost20CP100 strain
Caster throws a Wind Element chakra construct in the form of a spiraling senbon at the enemy. The additional casting speed is necessary to get the proper rotational spin that allows for the jutsu's trademark anti-Earth Chakra properties. This jutsu is treated like a Lightning Jutsu when going against an Earth jutsu.

Greetings everyone. Finally caught up with everything, and thus can now share some thoughts on this quest.

1. Poor, poor Glacier. Just - oof. Theirs was a sad fate. And we didn't even really further any of our goals with that kerfuffle.

2. Honey - I am saddened that we partially flattened yet another minor village, but such is life when dealing with mind bullshit and shapeshifting infiltrators at the head of government.

3. The Sea Isles. I liked the heist. I didn't like opening with Zabs assassinating enemy commanders when we were frequently told no Samurai would like that, and I really didn't like how we just sat out the final battle. Felt like giving up out of being fed up with the Samurai.

4. Rain was great. Loved Rain. 10/10, would steal from the Panopticon again.

As for what to do next:
GET THAT SEALMISTRESS.
Because it's only a matter of time before she gets offed for infosec or due to Seal malarkey.

As for the scroll options currently on offer, I tend towards the Rabbits. Clearly they should know Strong Foot Style, which we can combine with Strong Fist to create Stronger Body. Also because I like the little buggers. Though I do wonder if a Wolf Scroll exists...

Would have been tempted by Scorpions if this didn't involve the Scorpions betraying someone. Brings a parable to mind involving poisonous stings and "lol. Lmao."

As for the scroll options currently on offer, I tend towards the Rabbits. Clearly they should know Strong Foot Style, which we can combine with Strong Fist to create Stronger Body. Also because I like the little buggers. Though I do wonder if a Wolf Scroll exists...

Would have been tempted by Scorpions if this didn't involve the Scorpions betraying someone. Brings a parable to mind involving poisonous stings and "lol. Lmao."
Welcome to the quest!

I'm personally hoping Ameri/the Salamanders can give us a few more scroll options before we commit to one (especially since a neighboring clan would allow us to communicate with Ameri more easily)

Greetings everyone. Finally caught up with everything, and thus can now share some thoughts on this quest.
Welcome to the head of the quest!

1. Poor, poor Glacier. Just - oof. Theirs was a sad fate. And we didn't even really further any of our goals with that kerfuffle.
If I recall correctly, there was talk about using the final confrontation to fake Kakashi's death to make a clean getaway, but that didn't end up happening...
2. Honey - I am saddened that we partially flattened yet another minor village, but such is life when dealing with mind bullshit and shapeshifting infiltrators at the head of government.
So, you know how Leaf has the Yamanaka and the Sharingan is really good at genjutsu....
y
3. The Sea Isles. I liked the heist. I didn't like opening with Zabs assassinating enemy commanders when we were frequently told no Samurai would like that, and I really didn't like how we just sat out the final battle. Felt like giving up out of being fed up with the Samurai.
Yeah. The Sea arc was not a high point in terms of player choices.
4. Rain was great. Loved Rain. 10/10, would steal from the Panopticon again.
On the other hand, Rain was absolutely a high point in terms of player choices! Hoping for more like that soon.
GET THAT SEALMISTRESS.
Please, for the love of Jashin. It's been so long since I dropped that hint.

Voting is open
Back