Lord of the Gallows - A Prison Colony Builder

Turn 3 - Autumn of 2164 Anno Imperialis
Turn 3 - Autumn of 2164 Anno Imperialis
Scheduled vote count started by Azel on May 20, 2021 at 12:30 PM, finished with 32 posts and 15 votes.

When your calendar told you that summer was over, it almost seemed like an error. The weather was still warm and pleasant, and from what the locals told you, it would stay that way for at least a month longer. After that though, things would rapidly become unpleasant. Winter comes fast on the Korprey islands. The southern winds would keep it away for the longest while, but once the northern gales took over, there would be nothing but sleet and snow until spring. So, the peasants got ready for the harvest season in the knowledge that work would have to be done as fast as possible and maser Becker was quite insistent that you did the same. Come winter, there would be no chance to do any more construction and without enough time to prepare for it, you would also have to spend the season either in the forest camp or the city.

A few days ago, those options did not sound so bad, but then of the Auxiliaries made your worst nightmares come true. You had turned a blind eye to their habit of buying alcohol from the farmers as long as they did not cause any problems under the influence and were sober during their duties. Now though, this had instead caused a murder. One of the soldiers had gotten into an altercation with the peasant he had been buying beer from about it allegedly being watered down. The man denied everything and when he refused to give the Auxiliary his silver back, they got into a fight, which ended with a short sword of Legion make in the farmer's heart.

There was not much doubt about the guilt of the soldier. He came back into camp still covered with blood and tried to tell some story about a goblin having ambushed him, but it was obvious from the start that he was lying. The farmer's son came shortly thereafter with the murder weapon and demanding justice, telling how he had seen his father getting killed, but being too far away to help him. Imperial law was pretty clear what to do with a murderer, especially in a case as clear cut as this one. Public hanging, though you that could be commuted to lifelong hard labour instead.

However, it was upon you to make that judgement and that made things complicated. With a proper Legion, you would have had no doubt that the men would welcome the punishment, no matter how harsh, since it would be the only way to restore the honour of the troop. With these Auxiliaries though? There might be unrest if you had one of their hanged and spread of the tale might have soured the still tender relations you had build with the locals.

Maybe you could have him tried for lesser charges, claiming the killing was an accident and have him whipped instead. A compromise that would have made no one happy, though it would have blunted the problems somewhat. And lastly, there was an option you would have not contemplated a year ago. Some other commanders simply paid a weregild when things like this happened to keep the peasants quiet. It would be rather dishonourable, but if the family could be convinced to weigh their fathers life up for silver, it would make this whole matter disappear quietly.

The only good news that had reached you in the last days came from the city, where the provost of the local Four Temples had returned from a longer journey to one of the other islands. The temples were not always fond of penal labour, especially when it was as dangerous and backbreaking as mining, so there was a risk that the man would have taken exception at your presence. Instead of calling your mission sinful though, he instead had written a short letter in which he commended your efforts, even going so far as offering the aid of his temple if you required it. There were certainly a few things that the faith could have helped you with, but there were already so many draws on your time.

What do you do with the Auxiliary that murdered one of the local famers?
[] Have him hanged for murder.
[] Sentence him to a life of hard labour in the colony.
[] Convict him on lesser charges and have him publicly whipped.
[] Let him off and bribe the family to stay silent.

What will you do in fall of your first year? (Turn 3)
[] Write-In Plan

First prisoners arrive after Turn 4.
First shipment of adamantine must be made after Turn 8.

Legion Auxiliaries (1 Action)

The Auxiliaries are trained somewhat better now, though neither their equipment, nor their laziness can be fixed quite as easily. But you would not let any of that deter you from getting the most out of their service.

-[] Scout the plateau. (Auxiliaries)
While you have a reasonable knowledge of the mountains between Vollug and the plateau, the plateau itself could not be scouted very much so far. While climbing up the small path will make it difficult, it might still be prudent to gather more information about the area and its dangers.
Benefit: Gain more knowledge about your surroundings.

-[] Hunt monsters.
While winning over the people of Vollug is no longer such an urgent concern, the roaming monsters are still a bane of the peasants and might interfere with your own efforts too. With the Auxiliaries having their training refreshed, you are also much more confident that they can actually make the region safer, as opposed to just showing some good will while achieving little.
Benefit: Improves relations to the locals. Surroundings of Vollug become safer.

-[] Prepare a camp on the old hillfort.
With your time limited and a lot of construction work yet to be done, master Becker suggested that the Auxilliaries could prepare the building site. While hauling materials up the small path is impossible, they could cut down trees for materials and erect a palisade around the hill, allowing much faster construction in the spring.
Benefit: Prepare construction site on the old hillfort.

Engineers (1 Action)
Master Becker certainly has proven his worth in your eyes, even though there are some problems with his behaviour, but others have taken notice too. The merchants of Vollug are clamouring to have him repair the cities streets and wall and a few even have more ambitious ideas and are talking about expanding the harbour. As if you had nothing else to do for him.

-[] Survey the plateau.
It is time to see how much of the old prospecting reports can be believed. Master Becker is certain that he found the two locations which the documents claim to have exposed deposits and he also identified another spot along the northern river that might be promising. Time to see if there is actually adamantine on this island.
Benefit: Might find adamantine.

-[] Improve the path to the mountain plateau.
Instead of scouting and hoping to find a better path, you could just let the engineers get to work on making the one you know about more useful. Widen it where possible, building scaffoldings and bridges where necessary, then it would be fine for your purposes.
Benefit: Improve path into the mountains.

-[] Build prisoner quarters in the forest camp.
With the first prisoners arriving in early spring, you need to consider where to house them. The probably best solution would be to keep them in the forest camp while construction of the actual colony is being done but having them sleep in tents would make them hard to control and the weather will make them miserable in short order. Have master Becker expand the camp so that you can safely house the prisoners.
Benefit: Gain prisoner quarters in the forest camp.

-[] Build prisoner quarters in the city.
With the first prisoners arriving in early spring, you need to consider where to house them. Keeping them in the city is rather unappealing, as it increases the risk of them escaping and the local people will hate it. On the other hand, it would only be for a short while and you could later reuse these quarters for other purposes. Have master Becker build a compound in the city so that you can safely house the prisoners.
Benefit: Gain prisoner quarters in Vollug.

-[] Make repairs in Vollug.
After the efforts of the last months, the merchants are not so subtly asking for the engineers to make some repairs to the walls and roads of the city. They would certainly be quite pleased if you allowed this to be done.
Benefit: Improves relations to the locals. Walls of Vollug repaired.

-[] Expand the harbour of Vollug. (2 Turns)
A proposal for extending the harbour of the city has been brought before you. It calls for building a new pier from stone next to the two current, wooden piers, with some sketches noting the option to later it expand it into deeper waters. However, it would take quite a while to get this project done.
Benefit: Improves relations to the merchants. Harbour of Vollug gains a stone pier.

-[] Survey farmlands of Vollug.
Master Becker has theorized that the much too high humidity of the cities farmlands comes from an old irrigation and drainage system that is lost somewhere under a few centuries of neglect and while he can't do any work in summer, he wants to survey the land to draw up plans for what to do to further improve things.
Benefit: ???

General Lothar Vanrich (1 Action)

Organizing this whole expedition takes already much of your time, but there are always a few hours left to put some personal attention to something instead of letting your people do all the work.

-[] Scout the plateau. (Lothar)
Instead of letting the Auxiliaries do the scouting, you could lead an expedition yourself. It has been a while since you have been in the field, but you should still be able to defend yourself against a few wolves and goblins.
Benefit: Gain more knowledge about your surroundings.

-[] Talk with burgomaster Gudmann.
While your efforts in the last months were less successful than hoped, you could always try again. Spend some more time with the burgomaster and see if you can turn him into an ally after all.
Benefit: Improves relations to burgomaster Gudmann.

-[] Talk with the merchants.
Instead of doing the merchants a favour now and trying to get it repaid later, you could always try to turn that plan around. Try to talk them into providing some aid to your expedition right now with the promise of letting the engineers do some work for them in the future.

-[] Talk with master Becker.
While his work is beyond reproach, his behaviour is not and that he is this easily plied by getting him alcohol is already causing issues for you. Try to straighten out master Becker or at least to get him to practice some moderation in his habits.

-[] Talk with the provost of the Four Temples.
Having the priesthood open to aid you might become a great boon in your efforts. You have not heard anything about the local congregation having magicians among their number, but they could at least help you to keep up morale among your people and especially the prisoners. Talk with the provost and see what the local congregation can offer you.

-[] Scour the archives.
While hardly looking the part these days, Vollug once was the centre of the imperial administration since the first colonists arrived on the Korprey islands and the archives are still maintained. With this whole expedition resting on some centuries old prospecting reports, there might be more valuable information about this island's past somewhere in all the dusty parchments.

AN: Dice rolls were all over the place this turn. I was already worried when everything came up more or less average.

Fucking auxiliaries. :facepalm:

My first instinct is to hang him for murder, but the fact that the update says that the auxiliaries would grow discontent and possibly mutinous makes me worried. It's looking like the whipping might be the least of the evils since it makes everyone equally unhappy but nobody murderously unhappy. Well, except for the poor farmer's son.

@Azel, is there any synergy in combining an auxiliary Scout the Plateau and an engineer Survey the Plateau action?

If we don't hang the idiot, this will happen again. We can definitely tank the peasant drop in reputation right now that we proved that we can help. As for the auxiliaries, I think that we can even better off if the idiotic ones leave and we murder them. With a bit of luck, we can recruit from the peasants or something.

And send the auxiliaries to start building the camp? I want the engineers to make the path better, but we can't really do anything during winter which is a lost action. Building a camp and the path seems better. Maybe we can survey or do some more construction work during winter now that logistics are set in place.

I think now that talk with the priests is mandatory, but I would like to scour the archives too.

If we don't hang the idiot, this will happen again. We can definitely tank the peasant drop in reputation right now that we proved that we can help. As for the auxiliaries, I think that we can even better off if the idiotic ones leave and we murder them. With a bit of luck, we can recruit from the peasants or something.

And send the auxiliaries to start building the camp? I want the engineers to make the path better, but we can't really do anything during winter which is a lost action. Building a camp and the path seems better. Maybe we can survey or do some more construction work during winter now that logistics are set in place.

I think now that talk with the priests is mandatory, but I would like to scour the archives too.
I agree here, auxiliaries should build the camp and the engineers should build the path. That should take care of the most immediate needs. Same with talking to the priests ASAP. Wasn't expecting their help but we're sure as hell not saying no.

@Azel , a question: you said that we can't do much in winter. I hope that it is not nothing, right?
As it stands, it's extremely unlikely for you to unlock any actions for the engineers this turn that would allow them to do something in winter. They will likely rest and goof off.

But both the Auxilliaries and Lothar can definitely do things.

As it stands, it's extremely unlikely for you to unlock any actions for the engineers this turn that would allow them to do something in winter. They will likely rest and goof off.

I take that surveys and exploration are not something that can be done during winter then?

No. I spell it out if that is an option.
no problem. was going to say bribe the family to stay silent there is history documents where it was allowed to pay the family compensation legally(Wergild) guessing that not a thing here? research says the price for a farmer was 2.5 years of the farmers wage.

Suppose the path to the plateau is shored up by the engineers this turn, would that make scouting the plateau next turn feasible even if it is winter?

I take that surveys and exploration are not something that can be done during winter then?
No. The plateau will become inaccessible due to snowfall and even if you could go there, you can't do a survey under these circumstances.
no problem. was going to say bribe the family to stay silent there is history documents where it was allowed to pay the family compensation legally(Wergild) guessing that not a thing here? research says the price for a farmer was 2.5 years of the farmers wage.
That is the last option, to bribe them. Weregild is not formally legal in the empire, but informally done all the same.

Shit, I just noticed that we kinda need to make the prisoner quarters right now, or they will arrive in spring and will have nowhere to go... unless the church helps.

I won't bet on that.

@Azel , if we free up the camp in the forests, could we use it to house the prisoners while our auxiliaries camp in the plateau during spring?

I say we get the Engi boys working on the prisoner house, the auxiliaries on building the camp (and staying busy and out of the way) while we either petition the church or scout the arena personally.

Also we need to hang the sucker. These Auxi got a stern commander and they aren'tgoing to stay washouts. This is the standard you live now. Live it or fall by the blade of punishment.

We should hang the auxilliary. Those who mutiny can be killed and the remaining ones will be loyal to us and know that they won't get away with this crap.

Hang the fker.

This dumbass not only killed a civilian, he also lied to a superior officers face AND left his weapon on the scene of the crime. There not wanting to piss of the locals while keeping your troops happy, and then theres covering gross incompetence and near treason.

@Azel , if we free up the camp in the forests, could we use it to house the prisoners while our auxiliaries camp in the plateau during spring?
You can house the prisoners in the forest camp without building quarters, yes. It just means an increased risk of altercations between your guards and the prisoners. And they will be pretty miserable during the spring rains.
So, doable, but not a long-term solution.

You can house the prisoners in the forest camp without building quarters, yes. It just means an increased risk of altercations between your guards and the prisoners. And they will be pretty miserable during the spring rains.
So, doable, but not a long-term solution.

Perfect. I'm mainly considering what synergies there are this turn and what can we do later during spring. We are definitely short on engineer actions right now, but if the camp can be used temporarily while we build better quarters there it would be better.

Or even better, maybe we can build quarters in the plateu itself if we build the camp up there.

(just thinking out loud here)

[] Have him hanged for murder.

I
think avoiding issues with the locals is the best course of action here. Send him to do hard labor in our own penal colony would be unwise, he might have friends that could blur the lines between them and the prisoners, which is suboptimal. Whipping him is an option, but I think scaring off the soldiers a bit in this case is the right thing to do, he did kill a man because of a cup of beer after all, this is behaviour I'd really like to discourage.

-[] Build prisoner quarters in the city.

I'm leaning towards this, would be better logistically since we don't know where the deposits are exactly yet. The locals might not be pleased, but this would be a temporary measure. We can also reuse the space later.

-[] Hunt monsters.

I think we should do this before making camp, it might make it up for the incident a bit and also make scouting potentially less deadly.

-[] Scout the plateau. (Lothar)

Thinking of doing this in conjunction to hunting. Would likely make the action safer and we should scout before winter so we can start work in spring.

[X] Plan Too Much To Do
-[X] Judgement
--[X] Have him hanged for murder.
-[X] Auxiliaries
--[X] Prepare a camp on the old hillfort.
-[X] Engineers
--[X] Build prisoner quarters in the forest camp.
-[X] General Lothar Vanrich
--[X] Talk with the provost of the Four Temples.

Hanging the criminal for murder is a gamble but I'm hopeful the auxiliaries don't mutiny over it. As for the rest of this, having the auxiliaries prepare the camp in the old hillfort should hopefully speed up construction when the engineers get there. And hell no to having the prisoners in the city. Public opinion won't just sour, it'll plummet. All our work will have been for nothing. And lastly, we need to take advantage of the stroke of good fortune in having contact with friendly priests. Hopefully they can help us boost morale or something.

[X] Plan Too Much To Do
-[X] Judgement
--[X] Have him hanged for murder.
-[X] Auxiliaries
--[X] Prepare a camp on the old hillfort.
-[X] Engineers
--[X] Build prisoner quarters in the forest camp.
-[X] General Lothar Vanrich
--[X] Talk with the provost of the Four Temples.

Back