Let's Read: The Poetic Edda

Gen.Raven

Leader of the Hawk-Men
For a while now, I've been interested in writing my own original work, which happens to involve Norse mythology. I figured that, instead of relying on the knowledge that popculture has given me, I should go to the 'source', as it were. Or, at least, the closest thing to the source we have.

That would be the Poetic Edda, a collection of poems. From what I've heard, it's the oldest and most unbiased source in the Norse canon. No one knows who wrote it, but one guy theorizes that it was some Icelandic priest from the 12th century.

Shortly before I started reading it however, I decided, 'why not post my reactions to reading this?'. If the Norse pantheon is anything like the Greek one, they're going to have gotten into some crazy hijinks. If nothing else, people might get a laugh out of seeing my reactions to it.

I'll be posting part one of the collection's first and most important poem, the Völuspá, in a few hours or tomorrow morning, if I can't finish it tonight.

Voluspa (part one)
The Völuspá is the most well-known poem of the Poetic Edda, and maybe the most important one. It's the creation of the world and it's coming end as told by an extremely knowledgable seeress to Odin. I've never been the best at poems, so if I miss something or get something incorrect, please tell me.

Seeress said:
For silence I ask
all children,
great and small,
sons of Heimdallar;
wilt thou, that I, Valfather!
Well recount
ancient history of men,
the first I remember?
The seeress seems to be telling this story around a campfire, or some public gathering place, because she asks some kids to quiet down. She calls them the sons of Heimdallar, which is a name I don't think I've heard before. Some god or Frost Giant? Then I think she asks Odin if he wants her to start from the beginning?

Seeress said:
I remember Jotnar
early born,
those who in old
foster me have;
nine homes I remember,
nine wooded rooms,
wise tree bright
before ground below.
She mentions someone named Jotnar, which is another name I don't remember. It sounds vaguely like Jotun, so maybe some connection to the Frost Giants? Anyway, they seem to have fostered her and moved around a lot. She mentions a wise tree, which makes me think of the tree that one guy, Mimir, guards.

Seeress said:
In times of old
then Ymir build,
was no sand or sea,
nor gelid waves,
earth existed not,
nor upper heaven,
gap was yawning,
but grass nowhere.
...Wait, is Ymir some sort of Numidium-style golem or something? I thought he just spawned into existence or something, but 'Ymir build' makes me wonder... Anyway, nothing existed in the beginning except for a gap, which I'm guessing is Ginunngagap. Is upper heaven referring to Valhalla? Or is it another heaven? I know there was Valhalla, and then the one that Freyr's sister governed.

Seeress said:
Ere Bur's sons
the burden lifted,
they who Midgard
mighty created;
sun shone from the south
on the temple rocks,
the ground grows
with green onions.
...Who the hell is Bur? Anyway they lifted some sort of burden, and were apparently created by Midgard? But, wait, Ymir hasn't been born or built or whatever yet, let alone died. Wasn't everything, including Midgard, made from his corpse or something? What the fuck is going on!? Also some stuff about the sun shining on temple rocks and green onions growing.

Seeress said:
Sun warped south,
moon's companion,
the right hand
around the heaven's rim;
sun knew not
what temples she had,
moon knew not
what power he possessed,
stars knew not
what places they had.
Some stuff about the moon and sun and stars being sentient. *Yawn*. Whatever, I'm still trying to figure out how all this stuff exists without Ymir being dead.

Seeress said:
Then went reigns all
to their ruling seats,
the high-holy gods
held council;
night and descendant
they gave names,
morning they named,
and midday,
afternoon and eve;
years to count.
The gods spent a while naming things, is what I think we're supposed to gather from this.

Seeress said:
Are Aesir to be found
on Idavelli;
there they Horg and Hof
timbered high,
craftsmen created,
and blacksmiths,
tongs they fashion
and tools made.
...What/where the fuck is Idavelli? The Aesir begin creating a culture and a home for themselves. Two people named Horg and Hof are involved, and I'm pretty sure they're due to receive the "silliest ever name for a couple of gods" award soon.

Seeress said:
With games in the yard
joyous they were
to them was naught
the lack of gold;
then three there came,
Thuss maidens,
all-powerful,
from Jotunhome.
The gods had some fun playing whatever games were available back in the "world is just being created" days. Then they were interrupted by the arrival of three all-powerful chicks from the home of the Frost Giants, IIRC. I've heard about these girls before, but I never thought they were Frost Giants, if I'm understanding these implications correctly.

Seeress said:
Then went reigns all
to their ruling seats,
the high-holy gods
held council:
whom should the Dwarfs,
the king's men, create,
from oceans blood
and the blue calves.
The gods go to their thrones again and begin debating about...who the Dwarfs should make...from blue calves... Okay, going to ignore that for now in the hope it all makes sense later. It is interesting to learn that the Dwarfs are apparently widely known as servants of... Odin, I would guess? Also, they were apparently capable of creating life.

Seeress said:
There was Modsognir,
greatest of creations,
greatest of Dwarfs,
but Durinn second;
Manlike creations
many they did,
Dwarfs from earth,
as Durinn said.
Somebody named Modsognir was there, and was apparently totes teh best dwarf evar you guys, and was also apparently a golem or something? Also, a Dwarf named Durinn, who I can vaguely recall. Did he make Mjolnir, or that rope that bound Fenrir? Anyway, they create more golems or something it seems like.

Seeress said:
Nýi, Nidi,
Nordri, Sudri,
Austri, Vestri,
Althjófr, Dvalinn,
Nár and Náinn,
Nípingr, Dáinn,
Bifurr, Bafurr,
Bomburr, Nori,
Ánn and Ánarr,
Óinn, Mjodvitnir.

Seeress said:
Veggr and Gandálfr,
Vindálfr, Thorinn,
Thrár and Thráinn,
Thekkr, Litr ok Vitr,
Nýr and Nýrádr,
now have I Dwarfs,
Reginn and Radsvidr,
rightly mention.

Seeress said:
Fili, Kili,
Fundinn, Nali,
Hepti, Vili,
Hanarr, Svíurr,
Billingr, Brúni,
Bildr and Buri,
Frár, Hornbori,
Fregr and Lóni,
Aurvangr, Jari,
Eikinskjaldi.
...Seriously? Three stanzas devoted to listing the names of Dwarfs we will probably never hear of again? Also, I see the author has reached about a thousand years into the future and stolen some Lord of the Rings characters. Let's hope they have a better fate here, eh?

Seeress said:
Measure is the Dwarfs
in Dvalin's flock
the men of lions
and census Lofars;
there they went
from temples rocks,
to Aurvanga shoot,
and Joruvalla.
Dvalin had some brave Dwarfs, and...then there was a census by some dude named Lofar? Then they go from the temples, to the feet of a plant or volcano in some place called Joruvalla.

Seeress said:
There were Draupnir,
and Dólgthrasir,
Hár, Haugspori,
Hlévangr, Glóinn,
Dori, Ori,
Dúfr, Andvari,
Skirfir, Virfir,
Skafidr, Ai.
Another stanza's worth of names aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-

You know, this post seems to be stretching on, and I think I need some time to think about this and question the writer's decisions, so I think I'll stop it here for now.

I'm interested by this let's read, partially because I'm interested by Norse Myths and partially because I haven't finish the Poetic Edda, only the Prose Edda.

The seeress seems to be telling this story around a campfire, or some public gathering place, because she asks some kids to quiet down. She calls them the sons of Heimdallar, which is a name I don't think I've heard before. Some god or Frost Giant? Then I think she asks Odin if he wants her to start from the beginning?

You don't know Heimdall?

The black dude (Funny 'cause he is called 'whitest of the gods') that was played by Idris Elba? From the Thor movies? Have you been living under a rock, mate!?

Humanity is called the sons of Heimdall cause Heimdall had founded the classes of men -- slave, freeman, noble.

She mentions someone named Jotnar, which is another name I don't remember. It sounds vaguely like Jotun, so maybe some connection to the Frost Giants? Anyway, they seem to have fostered her and moved around a lot. She mentions a wise tree, which makes me think of the tree that one guy, Mimir, guards.

Jotnar is plural for jotunn.

She isn't referring to her houses, but the nine worlds of Norse Myth. The tree is Yggdrasil.

...Who the hell is Bur? Anyway they lifted some sort of burden, and were apparently created by Midgard? But, wait, Ymir hasn't been born or built or whatever yet, let alone died. Wasn't everything, including Midgard, made from his corpse or something? What the fuck is going on!? Also some stuff about the sun shining on temple rocks and green onions growing.

She skipped the part Odin and his brothers killed Ymir. Bur is the father of Odin, Ve and Vili.

...What/where the fuck is Idavelli? The Aesir begin creating a culture and a home for themselves. Two people named Horg and Hof are involved, and I'm pretty sure they're due to receive the "silliest ever name for a couple of gods" award soon.
Idavold is where Asgard was build. Horg and Hof means shrines and temple, not names of people.

The gods had some fun playing whatever games were available back in the "world is just being created" days. Then they were interrupted by the arrival of three all-powerful chicks from the home of the Frost Giants, IIRC. I've heard about these girls before, but I never thought they were Frost Giants, if I'm understanding these implications correctly.

The Norns or the Fates if you like Graeco-Roman.

The gods go to their thrones again and begin debating about...who the Dwarfs should make...from blue calves... Okay, going to ignore that for now in the hope it all makes sense later. It is interesting to learn that the Dwarfs are apparently widely known as servants of... Odin, I would guess? Also, they were apparently capable of creating life.

You're reading it wrong. It meant who shall lead the race of dwarfs.

Somebody named Modsognir was there, and was apparently totes teh best dwarf evar you guys, and was also apparently a golem or something? Also, a Dwarf named Durinn, who I can vaguely recall. Did he make Mjolnir, or that rope that bound Fenrir? Anyway, they create more golems or something it seems like.
...Seriously? Three stanzas devoted to listing the names of Dwarfs we will probably never hear of again? Also, I see the author has reached about a thousand years into the future and stolen some Lord of the Rings characters. Let's hope they have a better fate here, eh?

Tolkien used most of the names for the dwarves from this poem. Gandalf is a dwarf.

I'm interested by this let's read, partially because I'm interested by Norse Myths and partially because I haven't finish the Poetic Edda, only the Prose Edda.

You don't know Heimdall?

The black dude (Funny 'cause he is called 'whitest of the gods') that was played by Idris Elba? From the Thor movies? Have you been living under a rock, mate!?

Humanity is called the sons of Heimdall cause Heimdall had founded the classes of men -- slave, freeman, noble.
...Ugh, duh. :facepalm: Sometimes I get these moments where there's something I should totally remember, but I just don't for whatever reason. Thanks.

Jotnar is plural for jotunn.

She isn't referring to her houses, but the nine worlds of Norse Myth. The tree is Yggdrasil.
Oh, so she was raised by Frost Giants. Who moved her around nine worlds a lot? Weirdest vacation plan I've ever heard, but who am I to judge.

She skipped the part Odin and his brothers killed Ymir. Bur is the father of Odin, Ve and Vili.

Idavold is where Asgard was build. Horg and Hof means shrines and temple, not names of people.
...Wait, Ymir's death, one of the most important things in the whole creation myth, was skipped, but four whole stanzas about some no name dwarfs were important to keep for some reason!? Not to mention how this is he first time we hear about Bur, father of the chief god of the pantheon. I'm beginning to question how good the priest who wrote this was at his job.

Oh, I've never heard what the place where Asgard was built was called. I guess it does make more sense that Horg and Hof are the names of places, haha:oops:

You're reading it wrong. It meant who shall lead the race of dwarfs.
...Huh, alright. I'm not sure how else I was supposed to read that, but okay.

For someone writing something inspired by norse mythology, you seem to be missing even most of the pop cultural stuff that the average fantasy reader/gamer type person knows. What made you pick norse?

For someone writing something inspired by norse mythology, you seem to be missing even most of the pop cultural stuff that the average fantasy reader/gamer type person knows. What made you pick norse?
I said it involved Norse mythology, more specifically Jormungand. As for why...It's an famously antagonistic snake involved in the end of the world. Though, now that I think of it, the snake (Yet again my memory fails me when it comes to a name) who gnaws at the roots of Yggdrasill might actually be a better fit.

Last edited:
Did you notice something about the pronouns? The sun is female, and the moon is male. In other mythologies (for example, Greek), it's the other way around (... or at least the divinities associated with the sun and moon are swapped).
Yeah, I remember seeing that and thinking something like, "how neat, in greek mythology, Apollo, the male god, is in charge of the sun, but here it's the other way around".

Did you notice something about the pronouns? The sun is female, and the moon is male. In other mythologies (for example, Greek), it's the other way around (... or at least the divinities associated with the sun and moon are swapped).

The sun being feminine and the moon masculine is typical of Germanic languages. For instance die Sonne, der Mond in German.

Also, the Seeress is Odin- you know, because Valfather sounds a hell of a lot like All-Father, don't it?

Also, the Seeress is Odin- you know, because Valfather sounds a hell of a lot like All-Father, don't it?

Val-father means father of the slain.

The seeress(volva) name is not known, and the volva was referring to Odin as the person that was asking her about this events. Not that Odin is telling this events.

Val-father means father of the slain.

The seeress(volva) name is not known, and the volva was referring to Odin as the person that was asking her about this events. Not that Odin is telling this events.

True on the first one (it's a pretty appropriate name anyway for someone who's believed to have been descended from a germanic god of death) and probably two on the second, my nordic lore is kinda bad, though I have to add that Odin was associated with seers and prophecy, being a master of the Seidr, an art traditionally reserved for women- also, he's kind of embarrassed in regards to using it because it's thought of as being, well, a little gay for lack of a better term.

Also, it's not like Odin disguising himself as a seeress, telling a heavily altered version of the birth of the world that's missing important details and filled with useless ones while lying about not being Odin to avoid embarrassment for cross-dressing isn't something he wouldn't do. He's something of a trickster figure and a wanderer, alongside being associated with storytelling and poetry, him acting like a wandering bard isn't out of the question.

... I'm thinking about this way too much aren't I?

True on the first one (it's a pretty appropriate name anyway for someone who's believed to have been descended from a germanic god of death) and probably two on the second, my nordic lore is kinda bad, though I have to add that Odin was associated with seers and prophecy, being a master of the Seidr, an art traditionally reserved for women- also, he's kind of embarrassed in regards to using it because it's thought of as being, well, a little gay for lack of a better term.

Also, it's not like Odin disguising himself as a seeress, telling a heavily altered version of the birth of the world that's missing important details and filled with useless ones while lying about not being Odin to avoid embarrassment for cross-dressing isn't something he wouldn't do. He's something of a trickster figure and a wanderer, alongside being associated with storytelling and poetry, him acting like a wandering bard isn't out of the question.

Odin being embarrassed!?

Nah.

The Aesir were embarrassed by him, but Odin being embarrassed of himself is preposterous. He is a self-proclaimed trickster and witchcraft practitioner. He himself says that Odin cannot be trusted, because he swear false oaths.

The Voluspo is following a theme of Odin wandering around and asking questions.

Odin knows spell to revive the dead and force them to speak* -- which is likely what is happening in the poem. The volva is (maybe raised from the dead) forced to answer Odin's questions.

*Baldrs Draumar (Baldur's Dreams) is basically the premise of Odin rising the volva from the dead and asking her questions.

... I'm thinking about this way too much aren't I?

Nah. I'm a bit obsess by mythology myself.

Voluspa (part two)
Welcome back to the Voluspa, last time we learnt some stuff about the beginning of the world and the writer wasted four whole stanzas on listing the names of Dwarfs we'll probably never hear or see again.

Seeress said:
Álfr and Yngvi,
Eikinskjaldi,
Fjalarr and Frosti,
Finnr and Ginnarr;
known shall be
while people lives,
long-fathers reckoning,
the Lofars had.
Oh hey, only half a stanza wasted this time. These Dwarfs are apparently famous for some reason. The Lofars seem to be some culture or organization, not a person like what I assumed last time.

Seeress said:
To three there came
from the land
this high and mighty
Aesir to the house,
found they on land,
less mighty,
Ask and Emblu
void of destiny.
So, three Aesir are wondering around one of the Nine Worlds for some reason, and find Ask and Emblu, who don't seem to have a fate?

Seeress said:
Mind they not own,
reflection they had not,
no vision nor cover
or colour fine;
mind gave Odinn,
reflection gave Hænir,
vision gave Lódurr
and colour fine.
Okay, so something was up with Ask and Emblu. Not only were they blind and stupid, but they didn't have a reflection. Maybe something connected to their lack of destiny? But then the three gods fix it; Odin by making them... smart? Wise? Haenir gives them a reflection, and then Lodurr one-ups the other two by giving them vision and colour. Coincidentally, I think I remember reading a theory somewhere that Lodurr and Loki are supposed to be the same person because Lodurr stops showing up at some point and then Loki starts. I could see Loki giving someone the gift of vision.

Seeress said:
Ash I know standing,
named Yggdrasill,
a lofty tree, laved
with limpid water:
thence comes dew
that in dales fell;
stands always over
the green Urd's well.
Oh, so Yggdrasill is an Ash tree? Thats a detail I don't think I've heard before. Anyway, water cascades down it until it reaches a well. Is that the one Mimir guards?

Seeress said:
Thence comes maidens,
much knowing,
three, from the hall
under tree stands;
Urd hight the first,
the second Verdandi,
they ash-tablets graved,
Skuld hight the third;
they laws made,
they life selected;
all the children
they destiny say.
Oh hey, the Norns make their second appearence. They make themselves a home in/under Yggdrasill, and begin carving... laws? Shouldn't that be Odin's responsibility? I think one of his 'domains' was law, anyway. Also, they tell people prophecies. What's the deal with the tablets? That what they're carving the laws on? Or are they writing down prophecies?

Seeress said:
She dispute remember,
the first in the home,
when Gullveig
Geirum supported,
and in Hárs hall
they burn her;
three times burned
the three times born,
often, not seldom,
yet still she lives.
They remember some arguement between the gods, with Gullveig being one of the instigators and Geirum as one of her supporters. Is Hárs the name of the hall or the owner? I think it's the former, but I've been wrong before. Then they burn Gullveig alive- what the hell!? Do the norse gods have some sort of resurrective immortality going on, or am I taking it too literally? Is this referring to the Norns?

Seeress said:
Heidi she hight,
to the house came
the wise volva,
woken she neighbours,
magic she knew,
magic she joyfully,
friendly always
for angry maidens.
Some woman named Heidi comes to Valhalla and showes everyone her neat magic tricks. The Norns seem to be angry at her for some reason?

Seeress said:
Then went reigns all
to their ruling seats,
the high-holy gods
held council:
whether Aesir should
sacrifice offer,
or should gods all
the guilds own.
The gods hold another meeting to determine whether they should...sacrifice offerings or own businesses? Do gods have gods?

Seeress said:
Spear throws Odinn
and shoots in the flock,
then there was conflict,
the first in the home;
broken was board-wall
in Aesir-fortress,
war proclaims Vanir,
on plains running.
Odin throws a spear into the crowd for some reason, causing a war between the Vanir and Aesir to erupt in the middle of fucking Valhalla. Did Odin just straight up assassinate one of the Vanir or something? Maybe the Norns complained about Heidi, and he for some reason decided the best option was to just throw a spear through her Night King-style?

Seeress said:
Then went reigns all
to their ruling seats,
the high-holy gods
held council:
who had ear all
with evil mixed,
or the Jotun's
Od's made given?
Another meeting again. It seems like they're trying to decide whether to ally with the Frost Giants? Whose Od? Is he the father of the Frost Giants?

Seeress said:
Thorr only rise,
in stifling mode,
seldom he sits
when hearing like this;
broken was oaths,
words, and promise,
the mighty pledges
between them made.
So, Thor's angry about some broken promise? Did the Aesir and Vanir make some sort of pledge? I sure hope the author hasn't skipped something important again.

Seeress said:
Knows she Heimdall's
sound is hidden
under bright twig
of holy tree;
stream see she wiggle
to muddy falls
from Valfathers pawn.
Understand ye yet, or what?
Wait, who's "she"? Last stanza we had an angry Thor, and now we have some unnamed woman talking about Heimdall. So, whoever this is seems to be talking about Gjallarhorn. There's something about a stream falling from his feet, and no, I don't understand what that's about.

Seeress said:
Alone she sat outside,
when in old there came
Yggjungr, Aesir,
and in her eye gazed:
«What wouldst thou ask me?
Why temptest thou me?
I know all, Ódinn!
Where your eye fell:
in the mighty
well of Mími»
Mead drinks Mímir
every morning
from Valfathers pawn.
Understand ye yet, or what?
So, one of the Norn seems to be sitting outside of a temple or Valhalla, when one of the Aesir, shockingly turns out to be Odin in disguise. She's not fooled, and tells the chief god that she knows he wants to drink from Mimir's well. Also, I guess that thing in the last stanza was referring to Heimdall giving Mimir mead?

Seeress said:
Selected her Herfather
rings and gold,
riches wisely,
that she wisdom tell.
Saw she far and wide
in homes all.
What the heck is a "Herfather"? I don't think I've ever heard that term before. Anyway, she's very rich and all-knowing and all-seeing or something.

Seeress said:
See she Valkyries
far was coming,
ready to ride
to Godtjodar:
Skuld hold shield,
but Skogul another,
Gunnr, Hildr, Gondul,
and Geirskogul;
now is counted
the nun's of Herjan,
Valkyries ready
to ride the land.
Oh hey, the first appearence of the Valkyries. Is Godtjodar the name of a person or place? If the latter, where is it? Midgard? Also, another half a stanza spent naming people, but hey, at least this contains some description, so maybe we'll see them again?

So, is it just me, or does the Voluspa seem to be intended to serve more as some sort of setup for actual, later stories. It's spent a whole lot of time name-dropping places and people, but very little on any actual events.

So, is it just me, or does the Voluspa seem to be intended to serve more as some sort of setup for actual, later stories. It's spent a whole lot of time name-dropping places and people, but very little on any actual events.

It been theorise that the author was writing for a Norse pagan audience, so it's assumed you know this things already.
So, three Aesir are wondering around one of the Nine Worlds for some reason, and find Ask and Emblu, who don't seem to have a fate?

Odin and his brothers came from Asgard to Midgard. They found an ash tree(man) and an elm tree(woman).

Okay, so something was up with Ask and Emblu. Not only were they blind and stupid, but they didn't have a reflection. Maybe something connected to their lack of destiny? But then the three gods fix it; Odin by making them... smart? Wise? Haenir gives them a reflection, and then Lodurr one-ups the other two by giving them vision and colour. Coincidentally, I think I remember reading a theory somewhere that Lodurr and Loki are supposed to be the same person because Lodurr stops showing up at some point and then Loki starts. I could see Loki giving someone the gift of vision.

Odin and his brothers created humans.

They remember some arguement between the gods, with Gullveig being one of the instigators and Geirum as one of her supporters. Is Hárs the name of the hall or the owner? I think it's the former, but I've been wrong before. Then they burn Gullveig alive- what the hell!? Do the norse gods have some sort of resurrective immortality going on, or am I taking it too literally? Is this referring to the Norns?
Some woman named Heidi comes to Valhalla and showes everyone her neat magic tricks. The Norns seem to be angry at her for some reason?
The gods hold another meeting to determine whether they should...sacrifice offerings or own businesses? Do gods have gods?
Odin throws a spear into the crowd for some reason, causing a war between the Vanir and Aesir to erupt in the middle of fucking Valhalla. Did Odin just straight up assassinate one of the Vanir or something? Maybe the Norns complained about Heidi, and he for some reason decided the best option was to just throw a spear through her Night King-style?

You reading it wrong.

Gullveig(theory states she was Freya) came to Asgard to perform magic for gold. She caused a dispute among the aesir for her services. The aesir decided to burn her to solve the problem. It didn't work as she has powers to rise from the dead. They burn her three times and three times she rises.

Heidi is a title for wise women.

Odin hurling the spear symbolized Odin taking your soul as his. Basically, Odin is saying 'I own your souls.'

Then the tribute part is about the aesir admitting defeat or recognizing the Vanir as gods worthy of worship as them(aesir) too.

Another meeting again. It seems like they're trying to decide whether to ally with the Frost Giants? Whose Od? Is he the father of the Frost Giants?
So, Thor's angry about some broken promise? Did the Aesir and Vanir make some sort of pledge? I sure hope the author hasn't skipped something important again.

Then it skipped to the fact Aesir cheated the jotunn that builded back Asgard wall that had been damaged in the aesir-vanir war. Thor is angry the gods broke they oaths.
It's the Loki fucked a horse episode.

What the heck is a "Herfather"? I don't think I've ever heard that term before. Anyway, she's very rich and all-knowing and all-seeing or something.

Herfather means Father of the Host(Odin)

I know nothing about Norse mythology other than what gets filtered through pop culture, so I suspect this is a silly question, but I have been curious about this, and I have to ask:

...Seriously? Three stanzas devoted to listing the names of Dwarfs we will probably never hear of again?

Did we ever get an answer for this?

It's "reflection" in the sense of "reason".

The three gods gave them spirit/soul, reason/sense/thought, and blood/healthy hue.

Oh hey, the Norns make their second appearence. They make themselves a home in/under Yggdrasill, and begin carving... laws? Shouldn't that be Odin's responsibility? I think one of his 'domains' was law, anyway. Also, they tell people prophecies. What's the deal with the tablets? That what they're carving the laws on? Or are they writing down prophecies?.

They are carving magic runes on staves.

For instance to curse a neighbour, you would make a nithing pole by putting a horse head on a pole and planting it towards whomever you wished to bewitch; you might carve runes on it to enhance its magic power.

I know nothing about Norse mythology other than what gets filtered through pop culture, so I suspect this is a silly question, but I have been curious about this, and I have to ask:

Did we ever get an answer for this?
Checking Wikipedia, some of them do show up in other stories (off-hand, Regin is in the story of Fafnir) and/or actually have entries. Probably we just don't have all the associated myths that contain them.

Voluspa (part three)
So, this will be the first post using the using the new translation. I went back and reread the other stanzas using it and it seems much better then the one I was using, occasional typo aside. Let's see if that quality continues, shall we?

Seeress said:
I saw for Baldr, | the bleeding god,
The son of Othin, | his destiny set:
Famous and fair | in the lofty fields,
Full grown in strength | the mistletoe stood.
The improvement in quality is apparent, isn't it? Anyway, I think this is the first mention of Baldur in either translation. Also, bleeding god? I don't think I've heard that appelation in regards to him before. Bla bla bla very pretty guy, and is apparently pretty strong? Maybe God of War didn't overstate how strong he is. Also, stuff about the mistletoe.

Seeress said:
From the branch which seemed | so slender and fair
Came a harmful shaft | that Hoth should hurl;
But the brother of Baldr | was born ere long,
And one night old | fought Othin's son.
More stuff about the mistletoe arrow that killed Baldur and about his brother, Hoth, who threw it. According to the footnotes, those last two lines are talking about Vali, who was born explicitly to kill Hoth. The guy who didn't know he was killing his brother because he's blind. ...Combined with that "burning someone alive three times over just for starting an arguement" incident earlier, I'm beginning to think the Norse gods might be more fucked up then the Greeks. Please, tell me that's just me imagining things or something; I don't want to think about a pantheon worse then the Greek one.

Seeress said:
His hands he washed not, | his hair he combed not,
Till he bore to the bale-blaze | Baldr's foe.
But in Fensalir | did Frigg weep sore
For Valhall's need: | would you know yet more?
This seems to be talking about Vali. He waits till his brother is burning on some sort of pyre to clean himself. Frigg, unsurprisingly, is not made happy by the fact that her sons have just killed each other in some sort of murder chain.

Seeress said:
Then did Váli slaughter bonds twist:
made farily grim were those fetters of guts.
This is referring to the binding of Loki. The gods turned one of his sons, Vali, into a wolf, and watched as the boy killed and began eating his brother, Narfi. They used Narfi as spare materials in binding Loki to a rock, and then tied a snake around a stalactite. The venom from the snake dripped down onto Loki's face, who'se only respite was when his wife, Sigyn, caught the venom in a bowl. Of course, the bowl eventually filled, so whenever she went to empty it, the venom began driping onto the god's face again. Let me reiterate: I'm beginning to think the Norse gods are more fucked up then the Greeks.

Seeress said:
One did I see | in the wet woods bound,
A lover of ill, | and to Loki like;
By his side does Sigyn | sit, nor is glad
To see her mate: | would you know yet more?
This pretty much describes what I said above.

Seeress said:
From the east there pours | through poisoned vales
With swords and daggers | the river Slith.
The apparently extremely poisonous and cold river Slith which flows through the lands of the Frost Giants. Hmm, how do they survive then? They probably don't have much of an agriculture with their river and soil messed up like that. "Eating humans" would be the obvious answer, which is why I immediately dislike it.

Seeress said:
Northward a hall | in Nithavellir
Of gold there rose | for Sindri's race;
And in Okolnir | another stood,
Where the giant Brimir | his beer-hall had.
This seems to be describing the home of the Dwarfs. The Dwarfs just, store all their gold in some giant hall? That doesn't seem very secure. There's another hall, apparently set in a volcano, which, knowing dorfs, I would not be surprised by, where Brimir drank tons of booze. Apparently some people think Brimir and Ymir are the same person, but then this wouldn't make sense, because Ymir's body was used to make the Dwarf world, wasn't it?

Seeress said:
A hall I saw, | far from the sun,
On Nastrond it stands, | and the doors face north,
Venom drops | through the smoke-vent down,
For around the walls | do serpents wind.
This is supposed to be Niflheim, if that wasn't clear. That venom... Is that from Nidhoggr? Or is Niflheim not far "down" enough on Yggdrasill for that to happen?

Seeress said:
I saw there wading | through rivers wild
Treacherous men | and murderers too,
And workers of ill | with the wives of men;
There Nithhogg sucked | the blood of the slain,
And the wolf tore men; | would you know yet more?
Oh, nevermind, there's Nidhoggr! So I guess that wasn't him. Maybe it's Jormungandr? IIRC, he's supposed to have a really poisonous bite too. Also, here we get to see what who's bad enough to get to Niflheim: liars, murderers, and...adulterers?. "The wolf", is that referring to Fenrir or his sons? ...Or maybe, it's referring to Vali?

Seeress said:
The giantess old | in Ironwood sat,
In the east, and bore | the brood of Fenrir;
Among these one | in monster's guise
Was soon to steal | the sun from the sky.
Oh, I guess it can't be Fenrir's sons, they havent even been born yet apparently. Apparently, this giantess is never named, and Ironwood is only referred to in one other place, in a poem relating to this stanza. The wolf referred to here is Skoll, IIRC.

Seeress said:
There feeds he full | on the flesh of the dead,
And the home of the gods | he reddens with gore;
Dark grows the sun, | and in summer soon
Come mighty storms: | would you know yet more?
Oh! Did we skip forward a bit, to when Skoll has been born? Now he's feeding on the corpses of the dead to grow big and strong like his Papa. What's that bit about the home of the gods referring to? Aren't they still in Niflheim? Or is that the Seeress telling the future? The end there definitely seems to be her telling the future, so that's probably it.

Seeress said:
On a hill there sat, | and smote on his harp,
Eggther the joyous, | the giants' warder;
Above him the cock | in the bird-wood crowed,
Fair and red | did Fjalar stand.
Oh hey, a Giant just enjoying a day out, playing some music and listening to the birds. How nice... According to the footnotes, Fjalar's call is the signal for the Giants to wake up for their final throwdown with the gods. Eggther is supposed to be the Frost Giant counterpart of Heimdall, which does make sense with "warder".

Seeress said:
Then to the gods | crowed Gollinkambi,
He wakes the heroes | in Othin's hall;
And beneath the earth | does another crow,
The rust-red bird | at the bars of Hel.
Elsewhere, the gods' Fjalar wakes them too, and then Hel's Fjalar alerts her forces. Y'know, it must be neat just having all these natural-made doomsday clocks just waiting around.

Seeress said:
Now Garm howls loud | before Gnipahellir,
The fetters will burst, | and the wolf run free;
Much do I know, | and more can see
Of the fate of the gods, | the mighty in fight.
Not much really to say about this. Ragnarok begins, Fenrir busts free of his bindings and goes to eat Odin, and the gods fight...the Frost Giants? The Fire Giants? The army of the dead?

Seeress said:
Brothers shall fight | and fell each other,
And sisters' sons | shall kinship stain;
Hard is it on earth, | with mighty whoredom;
Axe-time, sword-time, | shields are sundered,
Wind-time, wolf-time, | ere the world falls;
Nor ever shall men | each other spare.
Think you're a bit late to the "brother kills brother" thing Ragnarok. "Mighty whoredom"? And the rest of the stanza consists of everyone killing each other. Yeah, seems about right for an end of the world story.

Last edited:
Back