Which Ayn Rand work should I read first?

• The Fountainhead

Votes: 26 56.5%
  • Atlas Shrugged

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Anthem

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • We the Living

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please post in thread)

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Heh, now I'm imagining a bunny standing on its hind legs, squeaking and gesticulating for hours on end. Then you get the subtitles, and it turns out to be rant about how they are entitled to their alfalfa due to their bold vision, etc.

You know I'm not sure how opposed they'd be to the "selfishness is an inherent good" portion of Randian Objectivism. :V

Heh, now I'm imagining a bunny standing on its hind legs, squeaking and gesticulating for hours on end. Then you get the subtitles, and it turns out to be rant about how they are entitled to their alfalfa due to their bold vision, etc.
I never knew Rabbits were such big fans of the Little Rascals :p

You know I'm not sure how opposed they'd be to the "selfishness is an inherent good" portion of Randian Objectivism. :V
They already do this when it comes to treats, I can only imagine how much worse they'd be if they bought into any kind of philosophy about it.

Also, bunnies don't squeak for the most part, they communicate mostly through body language and occasional small sounds like grunts (like pigs) or growls.

Intro/Rules
Contrary to my projected date, my book still hasn't arrived. So, this isn't starting today, unfortunately :(

However, so as not to disappoint you, I will lay down an intro and basic rules so that my Let's Read doesn't accidentally burn down at any point. Please don't burn down my first Let's Read, it would make me an exceptionally sad rabbit.

I will be starting with reading The Fountainhead. I don't yet know how chapters are distributed, but my current plan is to do it on a chapter-by-chapter basis unless the chapters are shorter than anticipated. Any changes to that schedule will get noted in the relevant threadmark.

It's my understanding that there are some political and sexual philosophies being put forward in this book. I think it's likely unavoidable that I'll be talking about them and commenting on them so you're obviously welcome to make remarks on whatever I'm talking about. Just, keep it civil please, even if you're arguing amongst yourselves ^^;. I'd rather not be in a position where I have to call a Mod in to keep an eye on the thread.

Ideally, I'll be updating this at least once a week. I don't know how realistic this is, if at all.

Given there may be sex-related stuff in here, I'll take care to put it behind a spoiler if anything resembles being NSFW. This, in part, because I'm likely to be at work a lot of the time myself when viewing the thread and not updating lol.

Please avoid talking about any spoilers. I know almost nothing about this book going in, and I would like to preserve that as much as possible.

Aaaand I think that's it. If you've got any tips for my first Let's Read, I'm also open to your suggestions!

Last edited:
Well I said forever ago that I was going to read Rand but never did it. So I will enjoy this journey. Looking forward to whenever it starts.

Surprised nobody said "read Sword of Truth instead."

Well I said forever ago that I was going to read Rand but never did it. So I will enjoy this journey. Looking forward to whenever it starts.

Legit, someone in Staff Discord did. Which, like, I could because I think I've got the first book somewhere, but Ayn Rand occurred to me first. Maybe that'll be my next project :V

Given there may be sex-related stuff in here, I'll take care to put it behind a spoiler if anything resembles being NSFW. This, in part, because I'm likely to be at work a lot of the time myself when viewing the thread and not updating lol.

You could put up a NSFW tag? If you're going to keep going I think there's sex stuff in Atlas Shrugged too, though I don't believe its explicit.

Legit, someone in Staff Discord did. Which, like, I could because I think I've got the first book somewhere, but Ayn Rand occurred to me first. Maybe that'll be my next project :V
If you read sword of truth, you'll be at this let's read for the next six years because the really bad stuff only starts after book 5.

That reminds me, I need to get back to my SoT Let's Read.

The big problem with the Sword of Truth books, speaking as someone who has read all of them, is that there's a lot of them, they're big, and they're kind of mediocre.

Like, they're pretty normal generic fantasy books, with some good ideas, and some bad ideas, and some ideas that might have been good but are executed really poorly, and some ideas that are, on the face of them, bad, but the execution is pretty neat, and overall the whole thing averages out to kind of mediocre until many books in, at which point Terry Goodkind has simultaneously improved greatly in the technical aspects of writing, and also gotten the confidence and editorial independence to go zooming off over the horizon on his personal philosophical hobbyhorse.

Plus, gratuitous S&M, if you're in to that.

So, it's really hard to see why, even if you really want to read Goodkind's philosophical musings, you would want to read the preceding four-to-six books in the series, but if you don't read those, you don't get the plot.

Sword of Truth is a very long walk across swampy, dominatrix-infested terrain to get to the gonzo parts.

If you LIKE doorstopper fantasy, and have a year to kill, go for it. But there's lots of competition I would recommend first. And if you just want to see the crazy parts, well, you're putting a lot of work for them.

There are S&M cultists in the first book.

If you're in it for the objectivist propaganda, the real problem is going to bet that the objectivist propaganda doesn't really get into high gear until later books.
yeah book six is where you start to get the ten+ page objectivist speeches and stuff.

edit: book 7 is probably the worst though. So unbelievably boring.

Last edited:
yeah book six is where you start to get the ten+ page objectivist speeches and stuff.

edit: book 7 is probably the worst though. So unbelievably boring.
So, I guess I should thank the thread for talking me out of ever reading the Sword of Truth series and, possibly, just giving away the copy of the first book that I think I have whenever I find it, without bothering with it >.>.

In other news, just to make me look like a dork, the book arrived yesterday! I took a couple of pictures, which I'll include with my Chapter 1 post, and I've read a few pages and.. well, I've already used something like 10 sticky notes on bits I have comments on, so I suppose that's promising. I read some of those excerpts to the hubby, and his responses made me laugh so there's that. Hopefully I'll have something together by the end of the week.

So, I guess I should thank the thread for talking me out of ever reading the Sword of Truth series and, possibly, just giving away the copy of the first book that I think I have whenever I find it, without bothering with it >.>.
Book 1 is actually pretty decent if very generic. The first 2 books are like a bait and switch and make you think you're reading a much better series in my opinion.

In other news, just to make me look like a dork, the book arrived yesterday! I took a couple of pictures, which I'll include with my Chapter 1 post, and I've read a few pages and.. well, I've already used something like 10 sticky notes on bits I have comments on, so I suppose that's promising. I read some of those excerpts to the hubby, and his responses made me laugh so there's that. Hopefully I'll have something together by the end of the week.

You are beginning a long, bleak journey into the wilds. Wear galoshes.

Your husband's an admin here too, right? That one guy with the shark avatar iirc. Or maybe that was someone else. Eh.

At least he's having fun.

Good luck with the reading! :D

Welp, I wish you good tidings and that you never have the luck of meeting someone who actually agrees with Rand's work. My friend should know, his pa was one.

And he was an asshole, pardon my French.

ftr I hope you continue on or someone else does Atlas Shrugged because I have an old copy on my shelf and while I don't think i'm skilled enough to do a Let's Read I'd love to be able to chime in and discuss context or other relevant things that weren't touched on. ^_^

Back