Let's Read the Chronicle of Eric - A medieval Swedish Epic

Prologue

Arrou

Pseudo lurker
Pronouns
He/She/They
The Chronicle of Eric is one of Sweden's oldest literary works and arguably the oldest work of history produced in that language. I have a deep fascination with it. Some have billed it the National Epic of Sweden. However the 19th century historical romanticism of Sweden focused mostly on Vikings and early modern history, the middle ages weren't much in vogue. And now that the middle ages are in fashion, concepts like national epics have fallen out of it. So the chronicle is not much taught in school, neither as history nor as literature. But within its rhyming couplets lies a world of glorious battle and bountiful feasts. A tale of bravery and betrayal. All told in its distinctly medieval doggerel verse.

It is a hidden gem. Or at least, that is what I think. And I like my literature to be interesting, not necessarily "good". So, we'll see if my judgement is to be trusted.

The Chronicle is well known to medieval historians and philologists, in contrast to its relative obscurity to the general public. Thus there is a good deal of scholarship dealing with the poem and it was recently translated to both modern Swedish and English. In other words, I have quite a bit of academic literature to lean on as I guide you through this ancient tale.

In the original manuscripts, the epic blunders on ceaselessly. Couplet by couplet from beginning to end. Later editors have divided the poem into chapters. An editorial decision that is most helpful for my purposes. Each chapter is a bite sized chunk well suited to digest in a single post.
I won't be translating every line. And I'll skip and summarize various parts. I'll do what I can to make sure you get the gist of it. My commentary will provide a historical and occasionally linguistic context to the poem as we go. I try to preserve some of the poetic character of Old Swedish(OSw), but not at the expense of legibility.

So, without further ado. Let's get into the prologue.
Chronicle said:
God be honoured, glorified and praised!
He is the source of all good things.
All the joy of the Earth-realm and the grace of the Heaven-realm.
He rules over them both
and can give them to however he wishes.
Happy is the one who deserves that
The first lines are characteristically medieval, many are the texts that begin with a praise of God. But what is the poem actually about? Here I think it makes quite a neat transition:
[God] has made the world so large.
Woodlands and fields, mountains and slopes,
Leaves and grass, water and sand,
Great joy and many lands
And one among them is called Sweden
Anyone who searches in the north of the world
Will find where it lies.
There one finds good thegns,
knights and good heroes.
They fought well against Dietrich of Bern.
Ah, here we have the setting and the heroes of our tale: The northern realm of Sweden and its gallant knights. The term national epic is not wholly inaccurate, if one considers it to be the national epic of medieval Sweden in particular. Fulvio Ferrari has argued that the chronicle served a purpose of creating a unity and common identity for the Swedish nobility. A tale that puts their glory and chivalry on full display as a way of reconciling the various magnate families after their fractious feuds of the 13th and early 14th centuries. There were a number of sequels written during the tumultuous 15th century, showing that the style still commanded respect and power during the wars of the Kalmar union.

The word 'thegn' is of some interest. The OSw word is 'tiägna', of the same origin as the Old English thegn. Another form of the word is 'thane', which any player of Skyrim ought to be familiar with. Thegn was a specific rank in earlier times, though here it just seems to mean 'fighter'.

Dietrich of Bern (OSw: Didrik van Berner) is an interesting character. He is a figure of Germanic heroic literature, clearly based on the most famed of Gothic kings, Theodoric the Great. His name in properly rendered Gothic was probably *Thiudarieks, people-ruler. A mighty name, I like to think. Pleasant to say and charged with historical significance. Later the name would mutate into different shapes: Dietrich, Didrik, Dirk and Derek, a name I mostly associate with jocks from American high school movies.
In other words, it is clear where he fits on this chart:

Anyway, he was quite well known in the medieval Germanic-speaking world and had a whole host of characters that accompanied him in his stories. Like an older version of Charlemagne.

Our chronicle makes a reference to Dietrich fighting Swedish warriors, but no surviving story describes such events. I'd say it is likely that it refers to some lost tale or song, known to people at the time, but since then lost. Another ancient poem we can add to the list of ancient lost media. Killed by the wither of time and the forgetfulness of mankind.

That is quite enough text lamenting dead lays. Let's continue:
How lords and princes have lived there,
that is written in this book.
How they lived, acted and travelled
Here is written how it was
Any who has not heard [the tale] told before,
now he may hear it, if he listens.
Desire to hear beautiful words,
and to entertain us, before we go to eat
The final lines of the prologue tells us the context of the poem. It is meant to be read aloud, as entertainment at courtly feasts. Young nobles may hear the deeds of their ancestors and old nobles remember the good old days.
It purports to tell the truth, but with pretty words and in an entertaining fashion. Let's see if it can keep that promise, as next time we'll meet King Eric the lisp and lame.

Last edited:
Fun fact: "Bern" is not Bern, Switzerland, but the medieval German name for/rendering of Verona.

...so how exactly is the mythical king of Verona supposed to fight Sweden? Wouldn't Germany and Denmark have something to say about that? Ah well, lost in the mists of time :p

Fun fact: "Bern" is not Bern, Switzerland, but the medieval German name for/rendering of Verona.

...so how exactly is the mythical king of Verona supposed to fight Sweden? Wouldn't Germany and Denmark have something to say about that? Ah well, lost in the mists of time :p
"Sweden" or "Swedes"?
To begin with, the historic Theodoric got around a lot. Born near the modern Austria-Hungary border. Travelled east to Constantinople - once as a prisoner, once at the head of a victorious enemy army, to Greece, conquered Italy, travelled west to Central France and to Spain at the head of his armies...
And we hear of various allied contingents successfully getting through long distances. "Germany" was not united, and "Denmark" not seriously in the way (you had to cross sea anyway).
Anyway, Thidreks saga (ahistorically) talks of Thidrek being active in lower Rhineland. Even less distance for him to travel to meet Swedes, or Swedes to meet him. But as mentioned, the actual story referred in Erik´s chronicle is lost.
Oh, and there are a lot of Goths in Sweden even today. Unlike his grandpa, Carl XVI is King of Swedes only, not also of Goths and Vandals... but his daughter is Duchess of some Goths, and two of his three granddaughters are Duchesses of the rest of Goths. Princess Estelle is the successor of Thedorich the Great, except Theodorich was the King of Eastern Goths and Estelle merely Duchess of the same.

Last edited:

The same as everyone else. By confusing them with the Swiss. :p
Oh, and there are a lot of Goths in Sweden even today. Unlike his grandpa, Carl XVI is King of Swedes only, not also of Goths and Vandals... but his daughter is Duchess of some Goths, and two of his three granddaughters are Duchesses of the rest of Goths. Princess Estelle is the successor of Thedorich the Great, except Theodorich was the King of Eastern Goths and Estelle merely Duchess of the same.
The standard English term for the people in Götaland is Geats and not Goths. The relations between Geats (Götar), Gutes (Gutar) and Goths (Goter) is quite the heated topic of discussion. But goth sounds way cooler than geat (weird translation honestly) so we will take every chance to use it.

Ch. 1. Eric the lisp and lame
The same as everyone else. By confusing them with the Swiss. :p

The standard English term for the people in Götaland is Geats and not Goths. The relations between Geats (Götar), Gutes (Gutar) and Goths (Goter) is quite the heated topic of discussion. But goth sounds way cooler than geat (weird translation honestly) so we will take every chance to use it.
Of course, the relationship between the Geatas of Beowulf and the Swedish Götar is not uncontroversial either. Though they are obviously cognate (see also: bröd:bread, död:dead).
-------

Now, as the more perceptive of you might have noticed, I did not succeed in posting part 2 when I hoped. Various distractions and duties got in the way. But now I will tell the belated continuation of our tale.
Chronicle said:
First [I will speak] of a king. He was named Eric
He kept all the realm beneath him.
So that he ruled it all.
What he did, gave and punished,
As he decided, so would it be
King Eric, son of Eric, was the last ruler of the house of Eric. His parents were doubtlessly renowned for their creative name-giving.
This was before Swedish nobility started employing family names in earnest. Back then people would be identified either by their direct parentage (X son Y or X daughter of Y), by some title (King X, Jarl X) or by some nickname or epithet (X the Y). In other words, the names of various houses are inventions of later historians. Some of these invented family names are sensible. Some are less so, as we will soon discover.
The house of Eric is so called because they descended from Eric the Holy, and were evidently fond of the name in general. During the 12th century they were involved in an extended struggle over the kingship with the house of Sverker. That conflict is essentially over by the time our story takes place.

One other thing of note is the depiction of Scandinavian kingship. The historical reality was significantly less absolutist than the Chronicle wants us to believe. The medieval kings of Scandinavia were elected and regularly had to strike deals with powerful families and the various thing-assemblies throughout the realms.
In the medieval Swedish elections, the king would be elected at the Stones of Mora in Uppland and go on a tour of the realm (this tour being named, of course, the road-of-Eric). During the tour the king would visit all the important regional assemblies which would affirm his kingship. During the road-of-Eric tour the king had to obey certain rituals.
One king, Ragnvald the Idiot, is noted as not having respected these rituals and was accordingly killed by the West-Geats during his road-of-Eric tour.
There is some ambiguity regarding the royal elections. There is a much debated passage in the Elder West-Geatish law that reads "Swedes may elect kings and dispose of them". The key-term here is the ethnonym Swedes and its interpretation. Does it refer to all inhabitants of the kingdom? Or, as was common then, only those living around lake Mälaren? Or only to the people of Uppland, where the election took place?
Much ink and gnashing of teeth has been dedicated to these questions already, so let us move on.

There were a few who spoke up against the king
They were named Canute and Karl and some more
Both Harald and Holmger
They were the Folkung party
The greatest enemies of the king
Here we meet the Folkungs for the first time. The name Folkung means descendant or child of Folke. The Folkungs seem to have been a coalition or alliance of Upplandic nobles during the 13th century. They will be a recurring enemy of the Swedish kings throughout this century. Their name will also be a recurring enemy of consistent historical nomenclature, as we will come to shortly.
The Folkungs fought with the king and won a victory.
They caused great harm.
In Olustra there was a fight so hard,
that King Eric fled to Denmark.
The king and his men, they fled.
Then more people obeyed Canute.
Canute was elected as king
And lived a short while thereafter,
lived only for a little longer.
And then (after Canute died) there was another war
King Erik quickly came
to the realm once again.
The Folkungs gathered again
and wished to fight him a second time.
The King fared better than before
and won a victory at Sparrsätra.
The Folkungs lost and fled.
Those who were fated to die died.
Holmger fled to the land of Gestrings.
King Eric had him captured there
And had his head cut off.
Then Eric gave him a splendid funeral
With the priests he could gather.
He buried him on the grounds of an abbey, it is called Skoo
Where he had asked to lie, before he died.
God gave him grace and made him holy.
Anyone who serves God is blessed
Thus reads the account of the first Folkung rebellion. Its a pretty jarring shift at the end. King Eric had to flee from the Folkungs and fight hard to reclaim the throne. He was sufficiently vengeful to hunt down Holmger and have him killed. But then he gives him an ostentatious funeral and the narrator assures us that God takes good care of him. Why this sudden change in attitude?
Well, for one thing, Holmger was now dead and dead people can't stab you in the back. But on a less cynical note it is a recurring theme in the Chronicle: That the Swedish ruling class are great! They are wonderful and honourable and glorious and even when they kill and deceive each other, they are still great and treat each other so well!* There is a theory in scholarship that the Chronicle was written to mend the divisions of the Swedish nobles by exalting all of them and in so doing also give them something to brag about to other European nobles

*Exceptions apply.
The battle at Sparrsätra is also mentioned in the annals of Sigtuna from the 1200s. The annals say that the peasantry of Uppland lost their freedom at the battle and were forced to pay various taxes after their defeat. This implies for one thing that the Folkungs had support from not only the nobility but from parts of the peasantry as well. This "loss of freedom" and forced taxation has been interpreted by some as a reform of the east Swedish taxation system. In the older system, called leþunger, the people were obligated to equip and man coastal fleets for the defense of the land and small scale attacks on others. At some point in the 1200s this system was abolished and replaced with a more familiar system of taxation, usually in kind rather than money.

Finally: a couple of points concerning place-names: Olustra (OSw dative: Olustrom) is probably the village of Ostra in Eskilstuna municipality in Södermanland. Sparrsätra is a parish in Enköping municipality in Uppland. Skoo abbey (Sw: Skokloster) in Uppland was dissolved during the 16th century, but its old grounds would later come to house a well-known baroque castle.

After defeating the Folkungs, King Eric had to deal with another issue: He had an unwed sister, Ingeborgh. And many were clamouring for her hand. After receiving counsel he comes to a decision:
He gave her to an East Geatish man
He was called Birger by the people.
He was born in Bjälbo
And became jarl before he died
They were properly wed to each other
According to the law of the church
and the law of the land as it then was
They lived together for many years.
Now we meet Jarl Birger, the protagonist for the next few hundred lines of verse. The position of jarl is a matter of some debate. It is related to the english earl and is thought to have meant some sort of regional leader. In the Scandinavan context it seems to have mostly meant a sub-king or governor of sorts. Someone who rules an area in the king's stead and who is (theoretically) subservient to the king. In 13th century Sweden the role seems to have changed to being the king's right hand and the most powerful noble in the realm. Jarl Birger would be the last jarl of Sweden, and the most powerful of them all.

In Old Swedish, as in Old English, the title of an individual is usually said after their name. So Jarl Birger is instead said as Birger Jarl, which is how he is remembered in Sweden. Despite the fact that modern Swedish puts the title before the name rather than after. This has led some to misinterpret Jarl as a surname rather than a title.
Another example of the [name][title] order can be found in Tolkien's consciously archaic Theoden King.

Jarl Birger is also where we run into issues of family names and nomenclature. See, the descendants of Birger and Ingeborgh are destined to become the ruling dynasty of Sweden for the next hundred years or so. As such they need a family name so that historians can keep track of them all. The problem is that the traditional name for Birger's descendants is the Folkung dynasty, as one of their ancestors is named Folke. You see the issue. In the Chronicle the Folkungs are categorically not on the same side as Birger and his family, but are in fact one of their most persistent enemies.
Some alternative names for the family of the jarl have been suggested. The one that has gained the most traction is calling them the Bjälbo dynasty, after their ancestral estate. This name has also appeared in a horrible faux-ancient form as "Af Bjälbo" in Crusader Kings 2.
I am mostly content with calling them the family of Jarl Birger for now.

The problem of the Folkung-name has given rise to some confusion. Åke Ohlmarks, known for his eccentric translations of Icelandic sagas, the Quran and Lord of the Rings, published a compilation of translated Old Swedish poetry called Fornsvensk Lyrik. In his translation of an excerpt from the Chronicle of Eric, Ohlmarks claims that the Folkungs are of Jarl Birger's house. Which is not supported by the text itself, but is consistent with Ohlmarks adding and changing things he really shouldn't. For one thing, his translation of LotR mixes up a pronoun so that Merry ends up killing the Witch-king instead of Eowyn.

Next time there will be even more violence. But this time directed to the Tavastians of Finland rather than Swedish nobles. So stay tuned. Hopefully I'll manage a more regular update schedule.

Last edited:
In my hometown (which has a significant connection to the Folkungs) there is a fountain called Folkungabrunnen, depicting the legendary figure (as in, lacking solid historical record) Folke Filbyter, as well as various historical scenes on the base of the fountain.

Those who were fated to die died.

I find it really interesting that the pre-christian idea of a fated death day is mentioned here, in spite of being written way after christianisation. I shouldn't be surprised, considering the complexity of human culture, but it was still a cool thing to find it so clearly spelled out in writing.

They were properly wed to each other
According to the law of the church

You know, just so everyone is on the same page about this being all good and proper! No-one should come a-running saying stuff about something being wrong here, or more wives had, or some sort of not-proper-marriedness happening. We also made sure there was just one, this time. (Yes Harald Hardrada, all of us Chroniclers are still looking at you...)

Thanks for this, made for a great Sunday breakfast read!

Last edited:
I find it really interesting that the pre-christian idea of a fated death day is mentioned here, in spite of being written way after christianisation. I shouldn't be surprised, considering the complexity of human culture, but it was still a cool thing to find it so clearly spelled out in writing.
I'm sad to say that similarity is more an artifact of translation than anything else. The OSw form of that line reads: "then bleff döder som thet war skapat". Or, literally: "The one was killed who it was created for". Its the same kind of language that is used to describe God's creation of the world earlier. Both translations I employed as support used the word fate, but in hindsight it would probably have been better to translate it as "meant to die" or so.

On the other hand, some have made a connection between Norse pagan fatalism and a sort-of folk belief in determinism that was common in later protestant Sweden. Though I don't know how accepted that is in modern scholarship. But there might be something there.

You know, just so everyone is on the same page about this being all good and proper! No-one should come a-running saying stuff about something being wrong here, or more wives had, or some sort of not-proper-marriedness happening. We also made sure there was just one, this time. (Yes Harald Hardrada, all of us Chroniclers are still looking at you...)
Interestingly, this was before it was common for priests to officiate marriages. But its perfectly possible that the Chronicle is accurate. The emphasis on the marriage being done properly might also serve to highlight the legitimate inheritance from the Eric dynasty to the dynasty of Jarl Birger.

Though there were still improper relationships about. There was a 13th century bishop in Växjö who was deposed by the archbishop for keeping four women as concubines.
And there was of course the practice of Christian monarchs having mistresses which, confusingly, was acceptable until one king married his mistress.
Thanks for this, made for a great Sunday breakfast read!
You're welcome! I'm glad to hear that.

Last edited:
I'm sad to say that similarity is more an artifact of translation than anything else. The OSw form of that line reads: "then bleff döder som thet war skapat". Or, literally: "The one was killed who it was created for". Its the same kind of language that is used to describe God's creation of the world earlier. Both translations I employed as support used the word fate, but in hindsight it would probably have been better to translate it as "meant to die" or so.

Darn it! It would have been so interesting otherwise!

I think I need to find that (transcript of the) original text, between being a native Swedish speaker and dipping my foot in a tiny bit of old Norse it would be interesting to see how much is intelligible. That quote was fully understandable, at least.

Mighty people have always (insert the usual almost, nearly, with the exception of, sort-of nuance here) had several partners, but the legitimacy of both relationship and offspring has differed.
But I have a strong feeling you are the last person I need to tell that to.

Last edited:
What really changed then? Gustav II Adolf had Margareta Slots, too.
Certainly. I meant rather that it was considered more acceptable to sleep with a lowborn mistress out of wedlock than to actually marry her.
Darn it! It would have been so interesting otherwise!

I think I need to find that (transcript of) original text, between being a native Swedish speaker and dipping my foot in a tiny bit of old Norse it would be interesting to see how much is intelligible. That quote was fully understandable, at least.
Litteraturbanken has Sven-Bertil Jansson's edition available online. It is an easier read than more faithful transcriptions as he writes out all the abbreviations present in the original codices. Rolf Pipping's Erikskrönikans ordskatt is an invaluable aid, if you can find it. Pippings work is a concordance and can be used as a searchable dictionary containing every word in the whole poem. I have it in PDF form, but haven't been able to retrace my digital steps to where I found it.

EDIT: Erikskrönikans ordskatt is availiable in digital form on the website of the Finnish national library.

Last edited:
Back