Let's Read About Huey P. Newton and Intercommunalism

Introduction
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi i'm a white american with vaguely left politics here to read over an Essay I found that is really interesting and in my opinion, spot on about the world. So I tried to figure out the best way to spread it and ended up choosing the idea of doing a Let's Read of it on an obscure internet forum because praxis happens one step at a time or not at all i guess.

I'll update as I read, at one point im going to make a chart and we will all recoil in horror at my passion for graphics design. I will be copy + pasting from the original article here in case you want to skip my ramblings. Now, I present to yinz:

Intercommunalism (1974)
By Huey P. Newton

On September 5, 1970, Huey P. Newton, co-founder of the Black Panther Party (BPP), introduced his theory of intercommunalism at the Revolutionary People's Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia.1 He later expanded on this theory before an audience at Boston College in November of that year, and then again In February 1971 during a joint talk he gave with psychologist Erik Erikson across several days at Yale University and later in Oakland.2 Newton's opening remarks at Yale lasted over an hour but were reduced to about ten pages in the subsequently published In Search of Common Ground.3 As a philosophical foundation for his remarks on intercommunalism, that introductory speech included an engagement with the work of Hegel, Marx, Freud, Jung, Kant, Pierce, and James, among others.4 Portions of the material of this main speech, the subsequent Q&A, and other writings of Newton's were later combined, recomposed, and expanded upon under the title of "Intercommunalism" in 1974, the same year that he completed his bachelor's degree and fled temporarily to Cuba. This text had until now been available only through access to the Dr. Huey P. Newton Foundation Inc. Collection (1968-1994), held in archive in Stanford University's Special Collections.5 It is now reproduced here, available to the public at large for the first time, accompanied by this introduction.
– Delio Vásquez
Communism with American Characteristics has been found, and pal are we gonna talk about America. Delio Vásquez is a professor who has written three articles in two magazines, all about radical left politics in America it looks like. His introduction is long and provides a lot of context for the Intercommunalism essay, so I will be covering it first. So now that I did the bait and switch I present to yinz:

Intercommunalism: The Late Theorizations of Huey P. Newton, 'Chief Theoretician' of the Black Panther Party
By Delio Vásquez

Black Panther leader Huey Newton holds a press conference in San Francisco after returning from a meeting with Chinese Premier Chou En-lai in China. Newton is facing his third trial on charges of killing a police officer. October 8 1971.

On September 5, 1970, Huey P. Newton, co-founder of the Black Panther Party (BPP), introduced his theory of intercommunalism at the Revolutionary People's Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia.1 He later expanded on this theory before an audience at Boston College in November of that year, and then again In February 1971 during a joint talk he gave with psychologist Erik Erikson across several days at Yale University and later in Oakland.2 Newton's opening remarks at Yale lasted over an hour but were reduced to about ten pages in the subsequently published In Search of Common Ground.3 As a philosophical foundation for his remarks on intercommunalism, that introductory speech included an engagement with the work of Hegel, Marx, Freud, Jung, Kant, Pierce, and James, among others.4 Portions of the material of this main speech, the subsequent Q&A, and other writings of Newton's were later combined, recomposed, and expanded upon under the title of "Intercommunalism" in 1974, the same year that he completed his bachelor's degree and fled temporarily to Cuba. This text had until now been available only through access to the Dr. Huey P. Newton Foundation Inc. Collection (1968-1994), held in archive in Stanford University's Special Collections.5 It is now reproduced here, available to the public at large for the first time, accompanied by this introduction.
Intercommunalism (1974) the article by Viewpoint Magazine is from 2018, so yeah, until very recently this magnum opus of Huey was tucked away in an archive. But now it's freely available for us to read over and discuss five years later. Honestly this should be added right alongside "Revolutionary Suicide" for his notable works on his wikipedia page, but well, it needs people to notice it first I guess.

"The logic of the thesis of intercommunalism is: imperialism leads to 'reactionary intercommunalism' to 'revolutionary intercommunalism' to pure communism and anarchy. Each of the concepts is in need of definition and redefinition."6
I hope including the references benefits someone. Also, at the moment you probably have no idea what this introductionary quote means, and I am getting ahead of myself, but for the 70s this was a beautiful prediction of the future. I must acknowledge that the material conditions have changed and it might be time for someone to form a new theory for the future, but out of all past dialectics theorized, this is the most recent I am aware of. If someone knows any more recent theorists let me know.

The Black Panther Party was the last and perhaps most significant, domestically-based left revolutionary political organization to challenge American imperialism. At its height, the BPP encompassed 68 chapters in the United States, it established an international branch in Algeria and trained with operatives in the Congo, and it formed coalitions with political organizations in Zimbabwe, Mozambique, South Africa, North and South Vietnam, North Korea, Japan, the People's Republic of China, India, Uruguay, Peru, Nicaragua, Cuba, Palestine, Iraq, Israel, Australia, and throughout Europe.7
Everytime I learn more about the Black Panthers the more I understand why people did genuinely fear them, and despair at what could have been in Huey and the Panthers had ended up the victors in the historic struggle. Alas, the American Empire is nothing if not good at oppressing its population.

Ultimately, the Black Panther Party's influence and power provoked a frenzied effort by the U.S. federal government and local law enforcement to destroy its structure and either assassinate or immobilize its members—an effort that continues to the present day, with dozens of former Panthers still incarcerated.8
I talked to an old man once at my job. He remembered the 70s... and is now a paranoid wreck. After one of the deaths in the headlines recently he was talking with another woman about how the Black community needs something to protect themselves, and I asked jokingly if he wanted to refound the Black Panthers (I'm as white as a sheet) and he started to go off about how there are eyes everywhere and clamed up about it. After feeling bad I realized that's how thoroughly they dismantled the panthers, that their legacy to an old man is everyone betraying the cause and the feds being all powerful.

Huey P. Newton, co-founder of the BPP with Bobby Seale, was raised in poverty in Oakland and attended Oakland public schools. He later described his schooling as a humiliating experience that eliminated any confidence he had in his own ability to learn, leaving him with feelings of "despair and futility." "We not only accepted ourselves as inferior; we accepted the inferiority as inevitable and inescapable."9
The article does not say explicitly why he felt this way so i clicked through to the source and its an entire pdf of Huey P. Newtons Revolutionary Suicide for those interested. I'm not covering it in this thread.

After graduating high school, he finally gained functional literacy at age 17 through the memorization of poetry and by reading Plato's Republic several times consecutively.10 He then threw himself into the study of ancient, early modern and modern philosophy; Enlightenment Era, Marxist, Third World and Black Radical political theory; foundational sociology, psychology, and positivist philosophy; and modern European, American, and Black literature.11
Something like 10% of Americans right now are functionally illiterate? 10% of Americans can't read this mans works. I am in awe that he managed to correct that through reading Republic several times.

During the existence of the BPP, Newton was the party's primary political strategist and tactician, responsible for both the early armed patrols of Oakland police which he conducted with shotgun and lawbook in hand and for the diplomatic envoy made to Premier Zhou Enlai of the People's Republic of China in 1971. Despite his erudition and aptitude, Newton rarely tested to an IQ much above 74—which would have classified him as "borderline mentally deficient"—neither when he was tested in high school or college, nor when he was tested again in 1968 while in prison. In the latter instance, he consciously refused a genuine engagement with the tests, rejecting them on principle for their role in perpetuating structural racism.12
Imagine being tested for IQ several times as a child in a school system that produces you as funtionally illiterate, and then being dumped into the Free Market. 'Merica. Man I walked away to get a drink of water but this really stirred something in me. I'm a white american with a high school diploma and not much else. I can't find any work that doesn't drain my soul and make me want to drink. the absolute piss jobs that are left for people who can't read, write, or just never completed high school... And then there's the recent bullshit in the news with what's it, Iowa saying they want to bring back child labor? Yeah sure might as well, not like they'll have many opprotunities anyways, might as well start 'em young. Ostrasize them to a lower caste and say that it's what the market desires.

Newton developed his theory of intercommunalism in the fall of 1970, two months after his release from solitary confinement, penned in response to his deep disappointment with the backlash from the Black community following the BPP's pledge to offer troops in support of the National Liberation Front of South Vietnam.13 Many simply could not grasp what the liberation of Black people could possibly have to do with the Vietnamese Communists against whom the U.S. was waging war. The theory of intercommunalism was Newton's attempt to lay out a political and economic account of how he understood the world to be structured at the time—under a new type of imperialism—but it was also his attempt at forming a political strategy for how the BPP could expect to move forward in the decades to come as the revolution advanced. According to Newton's own admission, the theory of intercommunalism nonetheless proved perplexing and difficult for most, though it is now clear that this was more an effect of the counterintuitive character of what he was arguing rather than how he argued it, as Newton's writing style reads as refreshingly clear compared to much other leftist writing of the period.14
If the Black Panthers ever did manage to send volunteers to the Vietcong I can't find proof of it with a single google search so oh well. I also love this because that, laying out an account of how he understood the world to be structured, is something i've wanted to try and take a crack at. Just so maybe in 50 years time if im still alive i can see how off i was. And I also understand his inability to quite make it understandable enough for others to understand. I've been grappling with this very concept lately, that nobody quite 'gets' how I think the world works whenever I try to explain it. It takes a lifetime to come to the current day you, and not everybody is going to understand all the experiences and lessons learned and know all the things and have the assumptions you do. Which when I explain it like that it's like, well duh, but that results in politics being this weird mess of individualized opinions that we try to fit in neat little boxes. Do people understand the words "seize the means of production" the same way you do? What about the phrase "game conditioning"? Do you even get that reference i just made?

He was able to expand on his theorizations later while completing his PhD in the History of Consciousness at UC Santa Cruz, an interdisciplinary department for philosophy, cultural theory, and political theory. Indeed, from 1972 through about 1980, Newton worked on a wide range of theoretical problems, including a series of studies into the global "decentralization of production" and the feasibility of revolutionary expropriations in "The Technology Question" and "Technology vs. Land." He accumulated writings and annotations on anthropology, evolutionary biology, and human psychology for a "Proposed Book on Deceit and Self Deception" that never came to fruition, though he would later publish a related article in collaboration with evolutionary biologist Dr. Robert Trivers for Science Digest in 1982.15
That sounds absolutely fascinating and it is frustrating that the reference is a dead link. Fortunately for you Trivers is still alive and has his own website with a backup of the article in pdf form. Also can I just quote this mans website real quick, "Unlike other renowned scientists, Robert Trivers has spent time behind bars, drove a getaway car for Huey P. Newton, and founded an armed group in Jamaica to protect gay men from mob violence." Hell yeah Dr. Trivers. Go hard in that research. For the future of course when Dr. Triver dies and his site dies here is another backup from the wayback machine.

Among his most philosophical writings are included: a metaphysical inquiry into the possibility of a utopian politics drawing from dialectics, psychoanalysis, and intercommunalism in "Utopia: Universal Life Energy"; a sprawling engagement with mind-body dualism in "The Mind is Flesh"; and a speculative psychoanalytic essay on gendered domination in "Eve, the Mother of all Living."16 In the late 1970s, he also produced a critique of theological approaches to history grounded in a reading of the epic of Gilgamesh entitled "The First Hero of Literature," a materialist historicization of early Christian history presumably for use in relation to the BPP's late '70s Black community-oriented "Son of Man" Temple, and other writings on political theology, as with the aptly titled "Politics and Myth."17
A few suggestions for yinz reading lists.

Regrettably, Newton's intellectual productivity both during and after the height of the BPP has too often been dismissed out of hand. Even mainstream narratives that purport to celebrate and legitimize the Panthers simultaneously depict Newton as a "thug," maligning through obviously racialized terms not only the Black Panther Party's "chief theoretician" but also the Black, inner-city poor that Newton sought to organize and died trying to liberate.18 There have been great historiographic and theoretical strides made in the last decade and a half to better account for the wide political-strategic range of the BPP as a social movement, from a renewed focus on their social programs to their partial origins in university-based study groups.19 At the same time, however, the apparently increasing unwillingness of historians and theorists to honestly square the illegality, violence, and lumpenproletarian character of Panther members, politics, and strategy with the Panthers' perceptive intellectual insights has served to further divorce academics and leftists alike from realistic conceptions of what significant political contestation actually looks like and who it includes. That is, the move to "save" the history of the Panthers from the simplistic demonization to which it was almost unilaterally subjected between the 1960s and the 1990s seems to have come hand in hand with a watering down of their militancy and a dismissal of the poor, street-based culture that produced the Party in the first place.20
Ah, modern day progressivism and it's ability to ahem Whitewash anything it touches. The same thing is happening to MLK and other figures of the time. Insert Malcolm X by any votes necessary meme image.

Other accounts fail to engage with the uniqueness of the political theory produced by Newton and the Panthers, often conflating the Party with other movements from the era. It is also the case that much of the political "left" today simply refuses to read theory produced by the BPP, to say nothing of other Black radical thought.

Stares Into Camera and whispers "don't worry me too".

Still others even urge that we move on beyond the Black Panther Party precisely as they are finally being treated with nuance by scholars and the public alike.21 And yet, what are we to make of an organization that has long been considered the paragon of the Black Power movement, but was not only often at odds with the very person who coined the phrase "black power" but actively developed alliances with both white Hollywood celebrities and poor Appalachian migrants, with the Palestinian Liberation Organization and Mizrahi Israelis alike?22 More to the point, what are we to make of Newton's own insistence that—when they have done the job that has to be done—"the Black Panther Party will no longer be the Black Panther Party"?23
What could have been, what the world needs right now, and what the right fears BLM will turn into another version of I guess? If the BLM started to build infrastructure and do armed patrols of neighborhoods.

This essay is meant to serve as an introduction to "Intercommunalism" (1974) and as a contextualization of Newton's theory of intercommunalism as a whole. Those in search of theory to inform their political practice will find value in Newton's treatment of the problems of race, nationalism, and internationalism, his speculations on the future of surplus populations and questions of class composition, and the role of information technology in future possibilities for struggle.
Huey probably heard of Cybersyn and geeked out like the rest of us. I wonder what he will have to say later.

Through the rest of this essay, I (1) outline Huey Newton's political-economic account of global empire, (2) contextualize Newton's philosophical method—dialectical materialism—within his personal intellectual history, and (3) trace the progression of the Black Panther Party's "official ideology" from Black Nationalism to Revolutionary Intercommunalism, informed by historical debates within the Black Liberation movement. In the second half, applying Newton's theory, I (4) offer a new interpretation of the BPP's shift in strategy from "self defense" to "survival pending revolution," (5) give an account of the political import of the BPP's Oakland commune, and (6) reflect on some connections to political struggles today.
Today being June 11th, 2018. Heck, I didn't even even understand what the means of production were back then. I feel like so much has radicalized in the last five short years.

1. Reactionary Intercommunalism
"We see then that the United States controls other countries thousands of miles away and uses their resources to benefit the ruling circle in America. The same situation holds for the many communities of the oppressed within the United States. Therefore the evidence shows very clearly that the United States is not a nation for its boundaries are extended into every territory of the world. The United States is an empire."24
This is a direct quote from the reference "Newton, "Intercommunalism: A Higher Level of Consciousness," Dr. Huey P. Newton Foundation Inc. Collection, Box 48, Folder 4, pp. 6-7." This was in a box until a few years ago. The stuff we have buried from the recent past. Also yeah this is your first glimpse into Huey's worldview.

I decided to go look and see if its actually inaccessible online and yeah, I can't find anything with a quick search for letting me see what's in this box online. I'd have to travel somewhere and look myself. But I did find out that you can buy some black panthers merch from the Huey P Newton Foundation Online Store... Capitalism!

Sorry to cut right when stuff gets good, but it's getting a bit long and I want to chop this up so my next post will be actually going through what Intercommunalism even means. I hope this introduction into both Huey and me was entertaining and insightful, and I hope yinz stick around for whenever i update this.

Last edited:
Reactionary Intercommunalism and Dialectical Materialism
1. Reactionary Intercommunalism
"We see then that the United States controls other countries thousands of miles away and uses their resources to benefit the ruling circle in America. The same situation holds for the many communities of the oppressed within the United States. Therefore the evidence shows very clearly that the United States is not a nation for its boundaries are extended into every territory of the world. The United States is an empire."24
I would like to state that saying, in the 70s, that the American Empire extends into every territory of the world is a bold claim. I can agree with 1991/whenever China opened up to foreign markets whichever is later though.

Newton's theory of intercommunalism seeks to provide an explanation for the dominating and ultimately determining political force of American capitalist empire on the world stage, the corresponding decline of the political influence of nation-states, and the deterioration of nationalism as a potentially liberatory political ideology. He refers to this condition and phase of capitalism as reactionary intercommunalism.
So, nationalist communist movements were all the rage until the soviet union fell, and huey saw this happening by 1970. He also saw the American empire and its tendrils of control through his travels. Deus Ex the 1999 video game also delves into the political and philosophical impact of the decline of the political influence of nation-states. Well I guess all cyberpunk media kind of hinges on that. Huh, is cyberpunk media reactionary intercommunalist?

According to Newton in 1970, nation-states can no longer meaningfully be said to exist. Instead, global capital has, through U.S. empire in particular, reduced the world to a collection of communities that lack control over their local conditions of life and which can at most only become autonomous "liberated territories" within that larger empire. These communities can, however, by seizing the material structures that allow for production, technology, and information media, fight to build an interconnected and "cooperative framework" among themselves in a global dynamic that he calls revolutionary intercommunalism.25
Oh baby and here's the meat and potatos. I will argue Huey is describing Neoliberalism. I will also argue Huey is completely correct. The existence of China and it being its own economic sphere that disregards foreign (American) Capital can be explained as China and its belt and road initiative being a seperate reactionary intercommune. Or it is something like the russian empire where feudalism existed alongside capitalism until it collapsed into... whatever the USSR is in this metaphor.

In the words of Elaine Brown, chairwoman of the BPP from 1974 to 1977, Newton's notion of reactionary intercommunalism is an early conceptualization of what is today "casually euphemized by the capitalist class as 'globalization.'"26 The theory of intercommunalism as a whole is an attempt to both describe how revolutionary change might be expected to unfold going forward given these conditions of global empire but also to prescribe how one might go about playing an agential role in such a project. Dialectical materialism is Newton's preferred method for understanding how one might come to derive what that role is, given that it is not static and pre-established, but must be assessed from an analysis of material conditions as they develop. "The concept of intercommunalism not only accurately describes and defines the situation, it also implies our obligation to unify and share with these dispersed communities the wealth which has been stolen from them and centralized here in the United States."27
Reactionary intercommunalism, globalization, neoliberalism. Call it what you want, the nation-state fades in importance to the megacorporation and their oligarchical controllers. At the same time, due to the fading of the importance of the nation-state to affect material conditions different ways of trying to organize a revolution have opened up/changed how they must be implemented. But we need to understand dialectical materialism, not historical materialism, to understand the best path forward. Anyone up for becoming the next Huey? Post about it on twitter and discord! I sure don't understand dialectics.

During the particular turning point in the history of the Black Panther Party when he developed the theory, Newton was also deeply concerned with how Black people in particular might attain liberation without relying upon a state that purports to represent them as a people or nation. According to Newton, any efforts by Black people to gain national sovereignty or independence while global capitalism still exists could only lead to alternate forms of subjugation under American empire.
When we finally get back to Intercommunalism (1974) there will be a great section that will explain this perfectly. But basically to become a nation, one must be a nation, which is a self-defeating loop and so huey looked into other ways a black nation could come about.

The text of Newton's "Intercommunalism" (1974) begins with a long (and surprising) excerpt from David Horowitz's Empire and Revolution: A Radical Interpretation of Contemporary History.28 Horowitz was a New Left Marxist who in the 1980s converted to hardline conservativism.
New Left to neocon pipeline strikes again!

In this excerpt from 1969, however, he argues that as capitalist competition inevitably tends towards monopoly capitalism and the consolidation of power in the hands of a few, it expands in reach from the domestic to the global in the form of imperialism. Newton is concerned with theorizing a form of imperialism which is increasingly tied less to the interests of the nation-state that deploys its military abroad than to the interests of the businesses that benefit from that deployment. As "the centralization and concentration of economic power increasingly divorces legal ownership from actual control," (Horowitz) an ever smaller number of capitalist enterprises make use of the military strength of a small set of imperialist nation-states to exert de facto economic, political, and military control over all other enterprises, territories, and people.29
War's a racket. Why were we in Iraq again?

Corporations might be said to increasingly develop sovereignty through and then over nation-states. As Elaine Brown has pointed out, in the 1970s, "numerous corporations openly argued… that as they controlled greater wealth than most of the member states of the United Nations, they should be seated accordingly."30 Newton quotes Horowitz further: "capitalism unified the nation state only to [later] herald the transcendence of the nation-state and emergence of international relations on a truly global scale."31
Hey remember when the courts declared corporations are people so they can donate to politician PACs?

John Narayan's recently published "Huey P. Newton's Intercommunalism: An Unacknowledged Theory of Empire" is invaluable for its closer examination of the economic aspects of Newton's theory. Narayan does the necessary work of comparing and contrasting Newton's theorizations to subsequently developed Marxist accounts of the relationship between imperialism, globalization, and the nation-state, particularly those of Michael Hardt and Antonio Negri.32
Hey let me look into these two, okay that's cool Michael Hardt wrote some books with Negri and there's a section on his wikipedia page about the 2011 occupy movement alright and what about Anto-

Wikipedia Article on Antonio Negri said:
He was accused in the late 1970s of various charges including being the mastermind of the left-wing terrorist organization[14] Red Brigades (Brigate Rosse or BR), involved in the May 1978 kidnapping of Aldo Moro, two-time prime minister of Italy, and leader of the Christian-Democrat Party, among others. He was wrongly suspected to have made a threatening phone call on behalf of the BR,[15][16] but the court was unable to conclusively prove his ties.[14] Nevertheless he was convicted in 1984 and sentenced (in absentia) to 30 years in prison. He was given an additional four years on the charge of being 'morally responsible' for the violence of political activists in the 1960s and 1970s.[17] The question of Negri's complicity with left-wing extremism is a controversial subject.[18] He was indicted on a number of charges, including "association and insurrection against the state" (a charge which was later dropped), and sentenced for involvement in two murders.
Go hard Italy I guess.

Oh hey there's an entire section of wikipedia dedicated to a series on "Imperialism studies" and it has a cool image to explain what "Imperial Core" means when I use it. The USA itself has parts which are apart of the periphery, and with the advent of megacorps not caring about the nation state, the imperial core stops becoming a concrete physical region and more just a dispersed network of bank accounts and offices.

In "The Wages of Whiteness in the Absence of Wages: Racial Capitalism, Reactionary Intercommunalism and the Rise of Trumpism," Narayan also convincingly argues that Newton was apparently correct to be concerned that these economic dynamics might, to the detriment of an ideal class solidarity, create the conditions for a strengthening of xenophobia, racism, and newer populist nationalisms in the United States.33 Ultimately, Narayan concludes that "Newton's narration of the effects of reactionary intercommunalism on the revolutionary potential of the multitude holds more empirical validity than the narration of empire offered by his successors."34
Not going to lie this is the first point where my eyes glazed over. I might just be tired it's 10pm and i should rest. This does not necessarily relate to huey, but it is Delio including some other modern leftist theory. Which contradicts Hardt and Negri I think. I find this fascinating and a true analysis of the modern day. I wonder if someone has theorized a solution to the problem? I wonder if its that book, I might check. It's probably something along the lines of "touch grass".

In his 1974 essay "Who Makes U.S. Foreign Policy?", Newton speaks at length about the ideological relationship between U.S.-based corporations and the overseas military activity of the U.S. government.35 In "Intercommunalism" (1974), Newton directly quotes President Woodrow Wilson, who in 1907 stated: "Since trade ignores national boundaries and the manufacturer insists on having the world as a market, the flag of his nation must follow him and the doors of the nations which are closed must be battered down."36 To Newton's point, it is hard to imagine that U.S.-based corporations would have the power that they do today, accumulating profit in 188 of 193 countries, with S&P 500 "growth" increasingly being disconnected from U.S. GDP "growth," if active duty U.S. military were not simultaneously deployed in 170 of those countries, with about 800 military bases in over 70 of them, in order to protect those corporations' interests in the case of unrest.37
If you look at the 21st century section of the "List of armed conflicts involving the United States" and scroll down to "Iraq War" in the results box you can see "Partial Victory"... Mission Accomplished. What cope lmao.

Also don't forget the National Guard is the internal military used in the case of unrest.

Newton states that "we can even refer to this army as the intercommunal police force. They control communities they do not live in and have no interest in, and they are controlled by the ruling clique for the purposes of profit and personal and military might."38 In 1950, as justification for entering Korea, the United States executive branch under President Truman first started using the term "police action" to refer to military actions pursued without a formal and constitutional congressional declaration of war.
It's true when he says that because that's just how American Police operate. They don't have to live in the places they patrol/work in. It's the same concept on a different scale.

But the political economic dynamics that define "reactionary intercommunalism," Newton insists, also create the conditions for revolutionary possibility. Most specifically, as more and more of the daily efforts of the global working poor are dictated by a smaller set of corporations and states, more of the global population is brought together by their shared relationship to those workplaces and the technologies that hold them together: "the centralization of production" produces the "socialization of production: the development of an increasingly interdependent and cooperative basis of social labor."39
Your work is your life, your workplaces your communal spaces, and your corporate masters the ones who dictate your culture to you. This isn't entirely true, but most media is controlled and curated by megacorporations and it actually turned out that people became even more alienated the more office work they had to do until the point where we all needed to work from home to catch a break from fucking Bob that basta-

This interdependence and connectedness creates the conditions for a greater shared lived experience and therefore a possibly greater level of solidarity among the employed, underemployed, and unemployed of the world. For Newton, an awareness of this dynamic possibility follows from a conception of reality grounded in the philosophy of dialectical materialism.
This actually did sort of happen but I would argue because of the internet and not because we all started to financialize and have 9-5's. Spreading dialectical materialism through the internet is praxis according to Huey, do your part today comrades. In fact, I'll do my part right now!

2. Dialectical Materialism
"Power is the ability to define phenomena and make them act in a desired manner"40
Didn't think you'd be getting a lesson in marxism today kids did ya? Well let's hope it all breaks down for some chick like me to understand. Also this is a very unique definition of Power, I wonder how Huey arrived at it.

"Young people generally feel that the role of the revolutionary is to define a set of actions and a set of principles that are easy to identify and are absolute. But what I was trying to explain to them was the process: revolution, basically, is a contradiction between the old and the new in the process of development. Anything can be revolutionary at a particular point in time, but most of the students don't understand that. And most other people don't understand it either."41
I have to chew on this myself right now. What do I think a revolutionary is? What do I think is revolutionary? With this in mind what else can be revolutionary? I've heard some anarchists say anything you do can be revolutionary, but it always felt empty and lacking of any sort of ideological backing and more just one of the modern nothing phrases. But of course, someone can come along with a particular way of wording things and change your view, so let's see if huey and friends can fill in that ideological void any.

Consistent with the ancient Greek approach according to which philosophy is pursued always for a practical purpose—to understand better how to live "the good life"—for Newton, no ethical, social, or political goal can be adequately pursued without a philosophical examination and understanding of the world in which that pursuit might occur. For this reason, Newton begins his explanation of intercommunalism first by engaging with a series of inquiries concerning how knowledge of reality might be attained.42
You know i've never taken any form of formal education that involves philosophy beyond like some vague teachings in high school english class about how socrates liked to ask why a bunch. I figure that's gotten me far but not as far as I could have been if given better tools earlier.

In Newton's 1970 presentation at Boston College, he begins this epistemological pursuit first through an explanation of the structure of empiricism, identifying its basis in subjectivity and its resultant limits, the strengths and shortcomings of observation, and the scientific method's dependence on a priori assumptions, which are treated as unexamined truths.43 Drawing then from Kant, he argues for the advantages of analytic reasoning—conceived of as internally consistent and independent from the external world—and then asserts that a Marxist philosophy of dialectical materialism attempts to draw from the strengths of both empiricism and rationalism (pure reason) to better account for how phenomena in the world are constituted and transformed. "Marx, as a social scientist, criticized other social scientists for attempting to explain phenomena, or one phenomenon, by taking it out of its environment, isolating it, putting it into a category, and not acknowledging the fact that once it was taken out of its environment the phenomenon was transformed."44
Ya know i've done a bit of philosopherizing before. I've learned some of these words and phrases, and I can understand all of this for what it means, but I don't understand what Huey could have understood after applying the philosophy. Maybe I should look into this stuff as a lark?

In his 1971 presentation at Yale University, he begins this portion of his talk by instead contrasting idealism and materialism.45 In the 1974 text that we are reproducing here, he subjects both idealism and materialism to an approximately Cartesian-style series of skeptical doubts, and from this skeptical ground then informs us that the Black Panther Party has ideologically chosen to be materialist, and specifically has taken up dialectical materialism, which accounts for reality by identifying the "fundamental internal contradictions" in all things.46
I'm imagining sock puppets. Today on Mr. Rogers Neighborhood we're going to see if the Black Panther party decides to be materialist or idealist.

It is not possible here to defend this thoroughly, but I believe that a closer tracing and analysis of Newton's epistemological arguments across the span of his writings should reveal a shift over time from a younger Newton consumed with skepticism and doubt—compelled often to question the nature of reality and the purpose of human life—to one who later instead embraces affirmational philosophies that assert a positive ontology and thereby offer clearer political possibilities.47 This strategic shift away from skepticism and even partial nihilism48 is evident especially after his release from solitary confinement49 and culminates in his embrace of dialectical materialism, which would be his guiding philosophy thereafter.
From a doubtful, skeptical, nationalist to a happier, more positive, dialectical materialist. Interesting how some people evolve through life.

Dialectical materialism structured Newton's conceptions of what the world is and what kinds of activity are possible in it. For him, dialectical materialism makes clear that nothing is static, that nothing is isolated, that the world is transformed through constant flux and antagonisms, and that some form of knowledge of these turning points can be acquired through a combination of observation and rational reflection. Dialectical materialism also serves as a method that makes it possible to identify how the key center of conflict in any situation may have shifted.
Sounds fascinating, will I learn how to do that oh wizard of the timeline? Someone link me whichever work of marx teaches this best. Ill do a read through next.

Accordingly, the BPP as an organization was constantly adapting both their strategy and their tactics as they experienced struggle and reflected on it. Their most prominent shift early in the Party's history, from black nationalism to revolutionary nationalism, was formally codified in their Ten Point Program, which changed from insisting on an "end to the robbery by the white man of our Black Community" in 1966, to, by 1969, instead calling for "an end to the robbery by the capitalist of our Black and oppressed communities."50
Another pivot into mentioning Huey's personal revolutions through life. Revolutionary nationalism is funny to me because it sounds like a Nation where everyone is just a shapeless blob of constantly changing attributes.

Fred Hampton, Chair of the Illinois chapter of the BPP, explained the Party's use of dialectical materialism through metaphor:
Did you ever see something and pull it and you take it as far as you can and it almost outstretches itself and it goes into something else? If you take it so far that it is two things? As a matter of fact, some things if you stretch it so far, it'll be another thing. Did you ever cook something so long that it turns into something else? …That's what we're talking about with politics. That politics ain't nothing, but if you stretch it so long that it can't go no further, then you know what you got on your hands? You got an antagonistic contradiction.51
Have I heard this way of speaking parodied in some places before? I can't remember where but having a revolutionary black speaker who talks with both academic terminology and slang is something I feel i've seen in media before. Let me know if anything comes to mind. But also can I admit I don't think this metaphor might be the best? But I think I get it.

Under Newton's dialectical materialist conception of the world, contradictions exist everywhere, but only certain ones are antagonistic contradictions and, when pushed, these by definition will inevitably transform the whole dynamic at hand. Newton's conception of dialectics, which is observably deeply Maoist, is perhaps most fleshed out in "Utopia: Universal Life Energy."52 Following from this approach, Newton asserts that reactionary intercommunalism has necessarily created the conditions for its own potential destruction—in the form of revolutionary intercommunalism.
The world is made of phenomena all the time and if you push on the right one(s) you can spark a big change. Tetsuya Yamagami comes to mind immediately for some reason. Dude offed Abe at just the right time I guess that the Japanese government just started doing what he wanted? Probably not what Huey means though.

What a strapping young lad. It's included in the article so i guess i'll add it here as well.

3. Revolutionary Intercommunalism
Alright well, that's enough for today. I'll get to Revolutionary Intercommunalism tomorrow.

This look on intercommunalism has not been hard to follow, & the asides are charming. I'm def following this.

Revolutionary Intercommunalism
Alright, my stomach is acting up but I did say I wanted to do this today, so with 23 minutes left on the clock I present Revolutionary Intercommunalism. To recap really quick, Reactionary Intercommunalism is the modern day neoliberal/cyberpunk dystopia of the Corporation being more powerful than the Nation-State under capitalist conditions. Introducing a decentralized "Reactionary Intercommunalism" that runs the world via oligarchical feelings and corporate think thanks who are all trying to make Line Go Up, to the detriment of everyone, especially those at the bottom. Who to Huey are Black and LGBT people (We will see some of his takes on LGBT struggles as we move forward and finally when we actually get to Intercommunalism (1974)).

3. Revolutionary Intercommunalism
"When the people seize the means of production, when they seize the mass media and so forth, you will still have racism, you will still have ethnocentrism, you will still have contradictions. But the fact that the people will be in control of all the productive and institutional units of society—not only factories, but the media too—will enable them to start solving these contradictions. It will produce new values, new identities; it will mold a new and essentially human culture as the people resolve old conflicts based on cultural and economic conditions. At some point, there will be a qualitative change and the people will have transformed revolutionary intercommunalism into communism. We call it "communism" because at this point in history people will not only control the productive and institutional units of society, but they will also have seized possession of their own subconscious attitudes toward these things; and for the first time in history they will have a more rather than less conscious relationship to the material world—people, plants, books, machines, media, everything—in which they live. They will have power, that is, they will control the phenomena around them and make it act in some desired manner, and they will know their own real desires. The first step in this process is the seizure by the people of their own communities."53
I think it's important that Huey acknowledges this here. Some fresh faced leftists fresh off reading the Communist Manifesto after an all-nighter of playing HOI4 would probably say "Once the workers seize the means of production all the old isms of capitalism will be swept aside!" while huey, in much more and more elegantly goes "Once the people seize the means of production, all the old isms will cling on until resolved by the people as they adjust under a life free from economic and political oppression". It'll be a process to truely build that new world from the ashes, and it's good to keep the sobering reality in your mind, especially if you do find yourself after the revolution and you still have a misogynist trying to espouse their views in the economic planning meeting for your Peoples Burger joint. But after Touching Grass:tm: Joe will understand that it's actually quite rude to say those things infront of the other half of the store that is female.

Newton used his conception of dialectical materialism to both respond to and lead the BPP's ideological and strategic turns. According to Newton, the Black Panther Party began as a black nationalist organization. Having observed that "most people in the past had solved some of their problems by forming into nations,"54 they invested their efforts in pursuing a politics concerned with defending and empowering Black people as a distinct community. That said, from the start, they also critiqued cultural nationalist approaches, noting both their ineffectiveness for significantly changing the lives of most Black people and their popularity among more educated and affluent African Americans.55
Nationalism, it's not good folks. Shocking to some I know, I still give a good ol 'merica everytime i see a 4th of July fireworks show, but making it the center of reality time and time again results in reaction taking hold, and oppressive thinking prevailing as the discussion becomes centered around what benefits the nationality and the nationality alone, dismissing other Nations of people and minorities that exist throughout. I actually did read this part of Huey's essay before this and I can't wait to share that part. The way Huey breaks down how he arrived at the conclusion that nationalism is a dead end for black people is quite insightful in my humble opinion. Also that little bit at the end of "more educated and affluent African Americans" I assume is talking about petite-bourgeoise Black americans of the era. Small business owners to be exact. The Vanguard of Reaction regardless of who you start out as. Wanna start a fascist movement? Get the backing of the oligarchs, but go hard on appealling to small business owners.

Some Afrocentric approaches to cultural nationalism in the 20th century seemed at times to imply that liberation might come simply from dressing differently or changing one's name—by asserting a newly produced identity as an individual or as part of a community.56
I've also seen this take in the trans community, and it is always quickly dismissed by those that look around and experience the world as it interacts with a transgender person. I don't want to compare Black and trans struggles, but in the usa under capitalism they overlap in places that I feel can be relevant when talking about leftist theory due to both communities being at the very bottom of the totempole of political acceptability.

At the same time, however, the Panthers deeply valued political education, aware of its profound psychological impact on youth especially, and they made learning about African and African diasporic history a requirement for membership. Among Panthers on the East Coast especially, changing one's name was a common practice, drawn from a religious tradition that was central to Black Islam and was epitomized through the figure and life of Malcolm X, a.k.a. El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz, who served as a symbol of reinvention and personal transformation for countless radicals in the 1960s and beyond.57 However, the BPP also always regarded cultural nationalism as only a stepping stone in a dialectical process, insufficient on its own for bringing about revolution. They were deeply critical of African or Black-led states that were nonetheless authoritarian, or capitalist, or within which Black people were still poor. To be for Black liberation meant then necessarily also to be against capitalism.
"It's not a phase, mom" - Malcolm X changing his name and adopting black cultural nationalism. But yes, this is another moment of looking at reality and going well duh. Interestingly I don't think at this time they had too many examples of black people being in charge in america to support this example, only post-colonial independent african states. Though with Ferguson under Obama we can at least look back with hindsight and know they were correct that as long as they are under capitalism, Black people at any level of power will not be able to liberate their own people unless the current system is done away with.

As an aside can I say the wiki page on ferguson is wild, I do not remember this event. But I have to share this part of the historical record. I feel like a madman looking at this snippet and laughing like a maniac. "You, oppressed people of Ferguson, rise up all ye want. But ye shall be under our scopes, under our watchful eye, and we will send demons in sheep clothing to talk to you, to quell your justified anger, and to make you know your place. The system will not yield, it can wait you out and drown your voice our with the tide of history as it rises and falls."

Newton recounts how he came to his position, years before the Party was established:

"It was my life plus independent reading that made me a socialist—nothing else. I became convinced of the benefits of collectivism and a collectivist ideology. I also saw the link between racism and the economics of capitalism, although, despite the link, I recognized that it was necessary to separate the concepts in analyzing the general situation. In psychological terms, racism could continue to exist even after the economic problems that had created racism had been resolved. Never convinced that destroying capitalism would automatically destroy racism, I felt, however, that we could not destroy racism without wiping out its economic foundation. It was necessary to think much more creatively and independently about these complex interconnections."58
Yeah I understand Huey, that tracks with my own political journey. Though replace racism with sexism/homophobia I guess. I think these days this falls under the field of study labelled "Intersectionality". Though that is a feminist framework. Though skimming through the intersectionality wikipedia article I find a section labelled "Marxist feminist critical theory" which starts off with everyones favorite Black American Marxist theorist... Du Bois.

Snippet from the Intersectionality Wikipedia Article said:
W. E. B. Du Bois theorized that the intersectional paradigms of race, class, and nation might explain specific aspects of the black political economy. Collins writes: "Du Bois saw race, class, and nation not primarily as personal identity categories but as social hierarchies that shaped African-American access to status, poverty, and power."[40]: 44 Du Bois omitted gender from his theory and considered it more of a personal identity category.
These ideas go back a long ways, and are still in flux. The wikipedia article on Intersectionality barely touches on the economic aspect of societal values but it is a theory under capitalism, most people don't quite have the critical thinking mindset drilled into them due to our shit educational system. I got taught Marketing! In 10th Grade! I never took a home ed or personal finance class but boy at least I got to learn fucking Marketing at a public high school in Tennessee!

For these reasons, and many more, the Black Panther Party quickly shifted towards revolutionary nationalism, grounded in the need to transform the economic organization of society in order to transform it politically.59
Within a year of the BPP's founding, however, Party leadership would come to the conclusion that the Black community in the U.S. could not, practically speaking, become a nation-state—secure, with their own territory and with full control over their economic, political, and cultural life—after all. "It is an endless circle, you see: to achieve nationhood, we needed to become a dominant force; but to become a dominant force, we needed to be nation."60 More to the point, if African Americans were indeed ever able to establish a separate nation-state, even if it were socialist, Newton argued, there would be little to stop the U.S. from invading and turning it into a colony in the traditional imperialist fashion, or, more likely, from asserting economic control over it in the contemporary "neo-colonial" manner.61 Given the immense power of the United States, the solution could only be then for the BPP to ally themselves with other oppressed peoples, domestically and abroad.
To become a nation, one must be a nation. What an idea of revolutionary implications to many nationalist movements around the world right now, or maybe not. I'm not too well versed on current international insurrectionary movements as I might want to be. Though I have to argue in this day and age the actual invasion by the USA is growing unlikelier as the American Empire takes misstep after misstep. Cough cough the failed coups in bolivia and venezuela and even at home yada yada, but American Capital would still "invade". American capitalism and corporates still run a majority of the worlds globalized economy.

According to contemporary genetic science, racial categories as people popularly believe in them today are demonstrably invalid. However, racial categories are not mere fantasy either, nor can they be used as an easy means for individual self-expression. Modern racial categories are not chosen but rather are imposed, their most important function is to dehumanize, and they are made real through processes of political domination and exploitation.
Sure "Black people" as a race materially exists insofar as some people have more melanin, but the Race exists as a social and political construct. Anyone trying to sell you some shit about IQ or skull shapes can be handed some calipers and shoved into a locker like the fascist nerd they are.

Huey Newton's thought often reflects an awareness of the social and political constructedness of blackness as a category. In his words: "I knew the difference between white people and black people, of course, but the cue was always the way white people treated us, not the color itself."62 Of course, situated in a historical context, Newton considered the category of blackness still a necessary one for recognizing certain material dynamics (eg. genocide, the racialized character of colonization, lumpenization, etc.) and also as a ground for political solidarity. It was a category that received extra emphasis in the later years of the Oakland-based BPP, not as a hindrance to international alliances but as a way to strengthen them. That said, Newton ultimately considered it politically necessary to eventually establish a "universal identity," disconnected from "cultural, racial, and religious chauvinism."63
And this is where my earlier statement of "Black and trans people experience similar overlapping oppressions" can come back and say hi. Capitalism and its enforcement mechanisms through social and political control can be universally recognized in all its various ism forms. So thus, under all these charades of seperation that Capitalism performs to divide the people, what unites all these disparate groups?

Aiming to build alliances with oppressed people against capitalism wherever possible, the Black Panther Party officially became internationalist, forming political bonds across six continents with other revolutionary organizations and oppressed people. Historically, this was unremarkable, as non-Western socialists and communists of all stripes had throughout the 20th century worked to build alliances with each other and against European and American capitalism and imperialism. Indeed, in many ways internationalism was already part of the background for the Black Panther Party, which formed in 1966, the same year that The Organization of Solidarity with the People of Asia, Africa and Latin America was founded in Cuba, followed soon after by the publication of the Tricontinental magazine. The literature and social movements from which BPP members drew inspiration were consistently internationalist, from Kwame Nkrumah's autobiography to Carlos Marighella's Minimanual of the Urban Guerrilla. At the same time, the willingness of Newton to reconsider the Black Panther Party's relationship to Black American identity was in many ways a continuation of a gesture that other U.S.-based Black revolutionaries had already made—from Malcolm X to the League of Revolutionary Black Workers—in using the word "Black" to refer not just to people of partial African descent but as a revolutionary catch-all category, so that the "Black revolution" could include revolutions in Asia and Latin America, and "Black people" could include all "people of color who are engaged in revolutionary struggle in the United States and all over the world."64
Yeah to reiterate, nothing so far that we have covered is necessarily new or specific to the BPP or Huey. Though for some of you, the revelation that "Black" means "any people oppressed by the American Empire" might be news, and for that I say, hooray! Today you are one of the lucky 10000! bask in your new assurance that yes, those right wing shouts about how Black Revolutionaries want a state controlled by and for Black Men is complete reactionary fantasy made to scare you into being subconciously racist towards your neighbor. To those that have the theoretical basis to understand all this, you can know that the struggle for your liberation is the struggle for the liberation of everyone. No adjectives needed.

And yet, by 1970, Newton came to reject even internationalism as a flawed revolutionary strategy. The reasons for this rejection are based in at least two problems or "contradictions," one external to the BPP and one internal to it.
The first problem is grounded in Newton's understanding of the world under reactionary intercommunalism and what kind of resistance is even possible within it. As Brown has put it, "Huey concluded that the capitalists of the United States had succeeded in reducing the rest of the world to a collection of communities, no different in terms of territorial sovereignty or control over resources than oppressed communities inside the United States."65 Since there were no more nations, one could not have true internationalism, much less among oppressed people. Put more strongly, "the people and the economy are so integrated into the imperialist empire that it's impossible to 'decolonize,' to return to the former conditions of existence"; and "if colonies cannot decolonize and return to their original existence as nations, then nations no longer exist. Nor, we believe, will they ever exist again."66
Boom goes the dynamite. I felt like maybe bolding this part or seperating it with a few spaces or something to clarify its significance within the work of Hueys worldview. And yes you read that right, Huey is arguing that the very nations that we think exist around us, no longer actually meaningfully exist. That they have all been subsumed into the American Empire. Subjugated under American Capital and bending to the will of the American Oligarchs.

You can have communities, the black community, the LGBT community, the hispanic community. But you can no longer have nations. The USA has broken down anything that can be meaningfully described as an international barrier and subsumed it within itself. And you might be thinking "Wait what about North Korea, or Cuba, or China? Aren't those nation-states with international barriers to the USA?

Instead, for Newton, there can only exist liberated territories within the larger expanse of the global American empire. As long as that empire still exists, these liberated territories must constantly struggle to maintain their autonomy from capitalism and imperialism both. Already by 1974, we see Newton question the extent to which the Soviet Union and The People's Republic of China could be considered truly independent, communist nation-states:

"By whom are the Chinese, for instance, forced? They are forced by the actions of the United States. Instead of putting their money into the schools, the hospitals, and into institutions in their community, they are forced to maintain a large military. So their liberated territory is very similar to what happened in the riots and rebellions in Detroit where, for about 4 or 5 days the blacks there held about 8 blocks and they drove the local police and the national guard out and the peace was not restored… They only held their territory for 4 days, they could have had a revolutionary provisional government and we would have recognized it just as we recognized the People's Republic of China… We do not recognize them as a nation but as a liberated territory and a community that is somewhat free, but it can only maintain its freedom through a constant fight."67
I appreciate it when people just plainly describe stuff as "they held the territory for 4 days". In 2020 an autonomous zone was declared in what was it Seattle? For like three days. That's an example of a temporarily liberated zone in the Empire, even though everyone and their mom considers CHAZ a joke and a half. But funnily enough under Hueys Intercommunalism, that's the only form of revolutionary resistance one can do against the American empire anymore, I think. We should probalby read further before i make a declarative statement like that one.

But yeah Cuba, North Korea, and China can all be considered liberated zones in a way. All former second world nations that maintained their power in the face of the usa. Two too small to strike out and do something else on their own, and one that managed to steer its own ship of state until economic necessity made them open up to foreign investments and become entangled in the web of the American Empire and its Overton window.

The second problem Newton encountered had to do with how internationalism was received by the Black community. Immediately upon his release from prison in 1970, Newton announced an offer of troops on behalf of the Black Panther Party to the National Liberation Front of South Vietnam, a material expression of internationalist solidarity. The backlash from Black elites68 was less of a concern than the backlash that came from the mass base of the Party:

"…Our offer of troops to the Vietnamese received negative reactions from the people, truly oppressed people. Welfare recipients wrote letters saying, 'I thought the Party was for us; why do you want to give those dirty Vietnamese our life blood?' I would call this a contradiction, one we are trying to solve. We are trying to give some therapy, you might say, to our community and lift their consciousness but first we have to be accepted. […] We try to do whatever is possible to meet the patient on the grounds that he or she can best relate to, because, after all, they are the issue."69
I worked at a job recently in a supermarket. It wasn't bad. The job was unionized and was simple enough that my coworkers with learning disabilities could do it. Never talked politics with any of my workers outside of once with my manager and one line she told me stuck with me, "Why should we care about anyone 'over there' when there are people here that need caring about?" She sort of said this out of context in a way that confused me and the conversation ended there. But that line sticks with me because it's such a simple thing to understand, but to reconcile that with the need to liberate everyone under capitalism is either a tough nut to crack or a hard pill to swallow depending on what you believe. Should we set up groups that benefit the local community only? Ensuing loyalty so that people will want to support us because it materially benefits themselves? Or will that fall into reaction due to its isolated and hyper specific nature? Should we invite others to help us? Can we use the privilege our community has to help others? While Black Americans on the 70s were at the bottom the hierarchy, they still had the privilege to go overseas and fight with the vietnamese against American troops on the ground and Huey said that and tried to capitalize on that. Or at least, this is all how I see it. My particular worldview is being influenced by 2am brain fog. I started this at 1130 ughhhhh...

Newton's critique of internationalism was influenced by the need to address the ideological relationship of the Black community in particular to American nationalism. As Americans—even for the most marginalized, poor, and recently immigrated among us—we are inclined to uphold the false belief in our exceptionalism and superiority, if not at least our social difference.
Can I just take a moment to say that even when I am actively trying to counter the exceptional thinking, foreign friends and associates still tell me I fall into its pitfalls and traps. Climbing out of the American Exceptional programming is extremely difficult and you should feel zero shame if you too are on a path where you are trying to course correct for it.

The vitality of nationalism is in part maintained by the state's dispensation of certain material privileges and a symbolic status unto a population based off of the mere and arbitrary facts of their birth. The defensive retort that "we" must take care of "our own" serves to obscure the active role that we play in disconnecting ourselves from the suffering of the rest of the world, even when it is in fact deeply connected to our own suffering.70 I would forward that Newton was able to identify that this reactionary tendency necessarily reasserts itself through the nationalism that is presumed within internationalism.

Several theorists in recent years have tackled the matter of the historically unique position that diasporic African people have been forced into under modernity—arguably one of incommensurable subjection, and even abjection. For these thinkers, the forced "social death" of diasporic Africans, as a continued effect of slavery, is an indispensable feature of western society, or perhaps of capitalism. In some ways, Newton might be said to agree with the basic intuitions behind some of these views, but, informed by his intercommunalist perspective, he comes to opposite conclusions.

For Newton, all oppressed people within the bounds of American Empire are in some sense colonized.71
Alright that was a lot right there but what does it all say exactly? Why didn't I break it up? Well to be frank, it's because I myself am having a spot of trouble parsing it through my feeble mind. For the first part as a finalization of the last part I quoted, it means that what I and Huey have observed is true. That people want themselves and those immediately around them to be taken care of first, and that it's the natural outcome of living under a nationalistic/internationalist capitalistic way of thinking.

For the rest I have to sit here tapping my table deciding if what Huey has just described is the Marxist concept of "Alienation". Where one becomes "alienated" from their work, their workplace, their coworkers, and eventually, everyone around them until they are atomized into easily controllable boxes under capitalism. Alienation is essentially what happened to White people, and is what Huey is noticing is happening to Black people around the 1970s. Can I just say sometimes I feel this literally? Sometimes I straight up say to myself I am just an Alien sent here to observe earth because it's just so hard to comprehend those around me sometimes.

Furthermore, though, because "Black people" in America compose a uniquely colonized community, comparable to colonized communities in other parts of the world while simultaneously located within the very center of the empire, the community is in a uniquely privileged position to destroy that empire. Specifically, Newton considered Black people in the U.S. to be in the ideal position to act as the vanguard for a global revolution against reactionary intercommunalism. "We believe that black Americans are the first real internationalists; not just the Black Panther Party, but black people who live in America… We have been internationally dispersed by slavery, and we can easily identify with other people in other cultures. Because of slavery, we never really felt attached to the nation in the same way that the peasant was attached to the soil in Russia."72
I... 100% understand what he means and agree with the conclusion. I don't think he necessarily means the traditional type of leftist Vanguard, but that the African American community as a whole is "the Vanguard" and that's really neat to think about. It could be said that BLM is a Vanguard movement for the American left in this vein. Though that argument falls apart in the face of the lack of any form of ideological rigor across the BLM movement. And actually on further thought, Huey kind of was almost right in 2020. When things were getting heated and it seemed like everything was spiraling out of control, it was Black people and Black suffering that ignited the flame that charred the gilded edges of the Empires lustrous image and the Third Precinct.

According to official Black Panther Party ideology, African diasporic people in the Americas are not a minority, but rather members of the colonized majority, imported over centuries to build the foundational wealth and heart of the empire.73 This means that we, like other oppressed groups in the U.S., "reap benefits" from the exploitation of the rest of the world but are also in a strategic position to uproot that empire at its base.74

"If we believe we are brother with the people of Mozambique, how can we help? They need arms and other material aid. We have no weapons to give. We have no money for materials. Then how do we help? … They cannot fight for us. We cannot fight in their place. We can each narrow the territory that our common oppressor occupies. We can liberate ourselves, learning from and teaching each other along the way. But the struggle is the same; the enemy is the same."75
The Slaves of the empire, imported into the Masters house, have the best opportunities to slit the Masters throat. And the second part of the Huey quote, that made me go down what I call a "third eye opening" moment where a bunch of thoughts hit me all at once and its hard to put the idea i just had into words. But essentially this is what we need to do, and what some of the more clever leftists need to do today. Networking, communicating, and liasioning with those from all over the world that have the most relevant experience in fighting the American Empire and all its tendrils wherever and however they spread. From Germany to Somalia to the streets of china, there are revolutionary groups throughout the world that are trying, failing, and learning everyday, and it's a duty you can pick up as one of those in a position to, to learn from and help them as well.

Within a reactionary intercommunalist world, intercommunal solidarity and revolutionary struggle is to fight locally for one's own freedom as well as the freedom of those far away. Intercommunalism is therefore Newton's non-statist theoretical frame—a frame that insists that one's political vision must be able to see past the limits of border ideology.
And here is something super interesting to me. I have two immediate thoughts. Firstly something something Mao started as an anarchist, Huey was heavily inspired by Mao, Huey is an evolution of Maoism into a non-statist ideology is a fit of historical irony i can enjoy. Secondly, something me and some other leftists have noticed in the last few years is that the statist left is incredibly irrelevant and has no practical means to climb back up to their once upon a time peak, and Anarchism has taken over as the ideology most capable of functioning within its ideological bounds under capitalism. So basically, yeah

4. The Long Durée of the Black Panther Party: A New Reason to Exist
Alright and that's the end for me tonight. I did a lot more rambling today than I did yesterday but it was all about something that touched a particular thought of mine. I've never read anything of huey's work from before yesterday, but the more I learn the more I realize it's stuff that I either can agree with, or already do just based on observations I have made about the world around me and via the conversations I have had with other left radicals about current events. I hope someone out there gets something out of this, and I hope to be back Soon:tm: with Part 4 of the Introduction to Intercommunalism. Incase you go off to google translate it Durée is duration in French.

Afropessimism
Alright that was a lot right there but what does it all say exactly? Why didn't I break it up? Well to be frank, it's because I myself am having a spot of trouble parsing it through my feeble mind. For the first part as a finalization of the last part I quoted, it means that what I and Huey have observed is true. That people want themselves and those immediately around them to be taken care of first, and that it's the natural outcome of living under a nationalistic/internationalist capitalistic way of thinking.

For the rest I have to sit here tapping my table deciding if what Huey has just described is the Marxist concept of "Alienation". Where one becomes "alienated" from their work, their workplace, their coworkers, and eventually, everyone around them until they are atomized into easily controllable boxes under capitalism. Alienation is essentially what happened to White people, and is what Huey is noticing is happening to Black people around the 1970s. Can I just say sometimes I feel this literally? Sometimes I straight up say to myself I am just an Alien sent here to observe earth because it's just so hard to comprehend those around me sometimes.

This (the reading) seems like a soft rebuke of afropessimism, which is a movement that draws heavily from Jamaican sociologist Orlando Patterson's concept of 'social death', which he developed to describe the condition of slaves. Someone who is socially dead is not merely alienated from their labour like any other worker but completely dominated (often through extreme violence) and defined by the master/slave relationship to the point where they are effectively less than human. Their lives do not matter. And all of this is embedded in their psychology as well as their place in society.

I haven't read Patterson's Slavery and Social Death but here are three different definitions of social death I found in an academic paper: Patterson's own, a simpler version by an afro-pessimist scholar (Ernest Chavez) and then one by a political philosopher (Lisa Guenther):

Article:
In this work, Patterson (1982: 13) defines "social death" as "the permanent, violent domination of natally alienated and generally dishonored persons". In general terms then, social death is configured through these three constitutive elements: excessive violence; alienation from all filial bonds outside of the master–slave relation; and degradation that fixes the powerlessness of the slave in relation to the master.
To the first point, in Solitary Confinement Guenther (2013: xx, emphasis in original) begins the discussion of social death by announcing,

Social death is the effect of a (social) practice in which a person or group of people is excluded, dominated, or humiliated to the point of becoming dead to the rest of society. Although such people are physically alive, their lives no longer bear a social meaning; they no longer count as lives that matter.

(note that this quoted article involves a dispute between Chavez and Guenther about how social death should be defined)

You could, perhaps, consider social death to be the most extreme form of Marx's notion of alienation from one's labour/creativity.

Moving on, philosopher Liam Kofi Bright has a good summary of the afropessimist movement on his blog here:

Article:
- Afropessimism can be hard to pin down, but roughly speaking it is orientated around the following themes. From the work of Orlando Patterson a notion of `social death' is arrived at. Persons in this state are treated as beyond the concern and rights and protections of the living, though evidently they may still in some sense participate in society. This is the condition that slaves were put in, and Afropessimists will further claim that this status is now indelibly linked to blackness. The supposed victories of the advance of human rights and so on over the past few centuries were in fact simply some persons or groups managing to successfully differentiate themselves from blackness considered as such. But as a matter of abiding conceptual necessity blackness itself is the negative pole against which what is good is defined. And at this point anti-blackness is so thoroughly and globally woven into our cultures and psyches that in essence what we desire from life is (for something to appear as desirable it must appear to us as) distance from blackness. Those whose bodies inescapably mark them as black in their social milieu are, therefore, forever cut off from the possibility of achieving anything good, and we are not even capable of formulating a desirable state of affairs freed from anti-blackness or in which black people are not socially dead. The most we can hope for is a total destruction of the present world order, and we cannot conceptualise what might come next.

To summarise, afropessimism is a movement that holds that Black people, as a result of chattel slavery, are in a permanent state of social death. In fact, social death and Blackness are so intertwined across the globe that to be socially alive is to not be Black. Furthermore, it is conceptually impossible for Black people's rights and condition to improve from this state. Rather, certain individuals and groups may merely manage to distinguish themselves from Black people, who will always be slaves unless there is a total rupture with the present world order. This is because it is psychologically necessary for non-Black people to define themselves against a Black underclass.

This leads to a rejection of solidarity, even between Black people and other minority groups:
Article:
Where Wilderson has proven most controversial, however, is not in ID'ing the usual pale-skinned-male suspect and source of global oppression, but in his opposition to what he describes as "mystifying analogies" drawn in multiethnic coalitions between Slaves and every other oppressed group we may find ourselves allied with. These include Indigenous folk, non-Black feminists and non-Black queer folk, Asians, even Palestinians.
As Wilderson sees it, our movement allies' negotiations with the Humans never start with the assumption that they are nonhuman or slaves. To Wilderson, all non-Blackfolk—even those he personally loves, partners with, and politics with—are "junior partners" of the Humans. Not least because Wilderson sees the junior partners' oppressions as resolvable by a restitution of rights that we Slaves, still being legally violated as nonhumans, have never had. Most resonant is the point he makes that non-Blackfolks' oppressions have a transactional potential to be remedied through wealth redistribution or restitution of land.

Whereas anti-Black violence, Wilderson argues, has since the plantation always been and remains gratuitous: random, reflexive, and providing no benefit to the Humans other than to reproduce the slave status of Blackfolk by feasting on Black flesh. And it is this bloodfeasting that Wilderson, in his most zombie-apocalyptic mode, argues that the rest of global society—Humans and junior partners alike—are dependent on for their own psychic and hierarchical coherence and continuation.

What the reading seems to be doing is distinguishing Huey Newton from this movement. Newton's intercommunalism instead grouped together all 'colonised' people and sought solidarity between them. Whereas Wilderson, the prominent Afropessimist scholar referenced above, famously declared, "I don't give a rat's ass about solidarity."

Last edited:
This seems like a soft rebuke of afropessimism
Interesting! I have never heard of afropessimism before but you're right. I of course instantly reject afropessimism as well as I agree with Huey and the idea that Black people can still form solidarity with other oppressed groups in the world. Though I do feel this sometimes when another headline death of a black person to police violence makes the news and the general attitude is either 'eh' or a justification of why they should have been killed in the first place. Thank you for that aside.

I finally got through this and caught up! Some comments towards the end.

I... 100% understand what he means and agree with the conclusion. I don't think he necessarily means the traditional type of leftist Vanguard, but that the African American community as a whole is "the Vanguard" and that's really neat to think about. It could be said that BLM is a Vanguard movement for the American left in this vein. Though that argument falls apart in the face of the lack of any form of ideological rigor across the BLM movement. And actually on further thought, Huey kind of was almost right in 2020. When things were getting heated and it seemed like everything was spiraling out of control, it was Black people and Black suffering that ignited the flame that charred the gilded edges of the Empires lustrous image and the Third Precinct.

I think he could easily mean the traditional leftist meaning of Vanguard. As in, the actual original one, not the almost blanquist deformation being thrown around as a snarl word. After all, this is still built on Marxism, and the most class conscious part of the working class leading by example does fit for the most oppressed segment of it.

I agree BLM falls short, because as you say, it does lack any kind of ideological coherence and there was indeed quite a few instances of cooptation by opportunists on the ground leading to implosion of local initiatives and wrestling of them away from the oppressed people they were supposed to make heard. It does draw from the right contradictions but lack the coherence to be what Newton describe. Which is still not bad considering how much needs to be (re)built.

And here is something super interesting to me. I have two immediate thoughts. Firstly something something Mao started as an anarchist, Huey was heavily inspired by Mao, Huey is an evolution of Maoism into a non-statist ideology is a fit of historical irony i can enjoy. Secondly, something me and some other leftists have noticed in the last few years is that the statist left is incredibly irrelevant and has no practical means to climb back up to their once upon a time peak, and Anarchism has taken over as the ideology most capable of functioning within its ideological bounds under capitalism. So basically, yeah

I'm not sure I'd go that far. It's probably because I'm not an anarchist but I'd be leery of putting this in direct opposition to a more traditional Marxist read on the DOTP question. The rejection of the fight on state lines seem entirely built upon the rejection of the bourgeois state's borders and inherent nationalism rather than on the question of the necessary structures to succeed in supplanting capitalism in the event of a revolution. Modern capitalism is global and thus the struggle can't be contained to opposing one state or another within its borders, but this doesn't seem imply an anarchist framework of post state construction (or even a similar analysis of the state in general) so this feels like reaching.

I also think the anarchist leadership of the existing radical sphere is overrated, in that it seems to mostly be a question of label rather than analysis. It's not easy to engage with on a data driven basis either considering how nebulous "the statist left" is as a concept. It could mean anything from those who want to engage with the existing state to those who merely have a marxist read on the question. In general, I'd question how ideologically coherent any of the modern American left's efforts at rebuilding are at the moment.

Back