Legends Never Die (Ahistorical/CKIII Gamer)

He would need to have foreknowledge that there would be a schism for that to make sense. I think Otto is far more ambitious that he is letting on and is going to try to convert either Irine or her son to true Catholicism.

The Great Schism doesn't happen until 1054, this is in the 780s. Having said that there were a lot of... theological disagreements between the two main patriarchates of the church, most of which were related to whatever political intrigues were going on in the empire at either end.

Otto succeeding at mending some of those disputes could certainly prevent the schism, but a quick dive into the period and the comment about "decades later" shows that Charlemagne was crowned "Emperor of Rome" by Pope Leo III in 800, after Irene deposed her son and took the throne as sole Empress, with the excuse that the Empire could not be ruled by a woman.

... I'm suddenly getting the feeling that Charlemagne's solution may involve a marriage proposal.

Not sure exactly what year it is but his second wife died in 783 and Irene hasn't convened the Council of Nicaea (overturning iconoclasm) yet so it can't be later than 787. Irene and Charlemagne are both in their 30s at this point ...

The Great Schism doesn't happen until 1054, this is in the 780s. Having said that there were a lot of... theological disagreements between the two main patriarchates of the church, most of which were related to whatever political intrigues were going on in the empire at either end.

Otto succeeding at mending some of those disputes could certainly prevent the schism, but a quick dive into the period and the comment about "decades later" shows that Charlemagne was crowned "Emperor of Rome" by Pope Leo III in 800, after Irene deposed her son and took the throne as sole Empress, with the excuse that the Empire could not be ruled by a woman.

... I'm suddenly getting the feeling that Charlemagne's solution may involve a marriage proposal.

Not sure exactly what year it is but his second wife died in 783 and Irene hasn't convened the Council of Nicaea (overturning iconoclasm) yet so it can't be later than 787. Irene and Charlemagne are both in their 30s at this point ...
Holy Cow! I 100% hope this happens. Great thinking!

WOW! A Unified Roman Empire, ruled jointly by Charlemagne and Irene and inherited by their son, (for fun let's name him Charles-Constantine) would be insane and would certainly cause Sigfried many headaches down the line! If Charlemagne adopts Byzantine primogeniture for his own empire, it would be much more stable, even if they don't marry and have heirs.

One positive for Sigfried here is that if this marriage does happen, then it becomes likely that, if either ruler does decide to conquer some pagan lands, that it would be targeting the Avars or Southern Slavs so that they can territorially unite their empires (aside from the Italian holdings)

Last edited:
f Charlemagne adopts Byzantine primogeniture for his own empire, it would be much more stable, even if they don't marry and have heirs

I'm not so sure about that. Roman succession was not codified in law the way the Western kingdoms eventually did. As a result there really was no such thing as an illegitimate ruler, which the second crusade found out the hard way when they tried to install
Alexios IV only to find that nobody cared for his claim to the throne.

As for stability, I suppose if constant coup attempts and minor civil wars are a way of life then the Roman empire was pretty stable. Thanks to Julius Caesar it was pretty well established that might makes right, and the rightful ruler of the Roman empire was generally whoever held Constantinople which is how Mehmed claimed the title of Keyser i-Rum in 1453.

Last edited:
Confession
A meeting with the acting Empress wasn't something that could be demanded on a whim, even with the favor that I enjoyed. A letter of introduction had to be sent, Irene had to read it, and set a date for the meeting itself. It was a way to project power, I recognized. To those that she did not want to meet, she would set the meeting back months, or even years I had heard in some cases. The diplomats would be confined into small quarters so bare that a prisoner would take pity on them, with their every move watched by jailers in all but name.

For me, I could likely expect to see a prompt reply. If only because Irene knew the Abbasids were courting me and royal attention was a hard thing to beat. However, given the nature of my request, I expected the reply to take longer. She would wish to confer with her own priests and prepare for such an envoy.

And given the roundabout nature of the meeting… I'm guessing that all of this was being done under the table. Testing the waters, and when they developed a plan, they would announce it to the world to hear. What that plan was, or even the goal of the meetings, was a fair bit beyond me and I was thoroughly uninterested in the religious squabbles of Christians.

"You have a gift, Siegfried," Otto said, watching as the raven sculpture was fitted over the doorway to the library. It was not yet complete, but after six months of tireless work, the construction was all but done. The finishing touches were all that was left. From there, the library would be filled with the texts that I had in storage and I could make a concentrated effort on producing copies of everything. Another month. Maybe less. Then I could turn my attention to other projects.

"Given by the gods," I confessed. "I was jealous of the finery I found myself surrounded with and sought to replicate it."

"I'd say you surpassed it," Otto said and the praise was genuine. I was rather proud of the marble raven that sat perched above the large double doors. "If you colored it black, I would believe that it was a creature of flesh and blood! How long did it take you to craft such a sculpture."

"Four months," I said, and he wasn't the first to say as much. The feathers had taken the longest out of everything and it had been tedious to shape and layer the feathers to give the impression of depth. When the library was complete, the raven would be colored with soot and oils to give the raven a life-like appearance. Though, it was ten times the size of a normal raven. "It would have been closer to three months, but I find myself with little time for art."

Otto seemed disappointed to hear that, "Your hands were made to create, my friend. If not sculptures then this town. These buildings. I feel like I am watching Rome being built around me."

That caught my attention, "Have you been to Rome?" I asked and Otto nodded, watching as the raven was settled into place where it would hopefully rest for many, many, many years.

"Twice -- first when I was confirmed to be a bishop, and again when I received this mission. I sailed from its port," he replied. "It is a wonderful city. But one that has suffered from neglect. There are echoes there of a once great civilization -- the Colosseum, the Basilica, and more. But much of the city is empty, and there are a great many destitute people." He explained sadly and that was unfortunate to hear.

I frowned at that -- I had hoped for more from Rome. It was the previous capital of the Roman Empire- it was why it was even now called the Roman Empire. However, Otto already answered my unspoken question. "Rome is the heart of the Christian faith. It is a holy place and many make pilgrimage to it to be blessed by His Holiness or to gaze upon one of the many sacred relics collected by the Church. I myself saw a thorn that had been part of the crown placed on Jesus' head before his crucifixion."

He beamed for a moment, overjoyed with the mere memory. "Alas, those that are destitute see the pilgrims as a means of survival. It is pious to give alms and many use this as a means to collect their daily bread," Otto continued. To that, I grunted. That was shameful. There was nothing wrong with accepting aid when you needed it, but to become reliant on it was inexcusable. "Not all of them, of course. I found myself in great company on my travels there -- I met beggars wiser than any learned man, prostitutes as kind and generous as the Mother Mary, and lepers who knew more of faith than I could ever hope to."

"Strange company for a Christian priest," I noted and Otto merely looked amused.

"I'm certain I taught you of Jesus' companions. If thieves, beggars, and prostitutes were worthy companions of our Savior then I would be quite arrogant in assuming that they are beneath me, of all people." The remark was well earned -- he had taught me that much. Jesus was still a strange figure to me, and even after a war and years of exposure I couldn't decide where I fell on the dead god.

At first, I disrespected him. He was weak and allowed himself to be killed. Then I learned more about the world and the more I did the more I could respect his sacrifice, even if I did find the entire thing a bit foolish and convoluted. Now, I was ambivalent. For the most part. The worst thing about Christianity were the Christians -- both for trying to convert me, and for the headaches they had caused while I built the town.

"Is that what you've been doing these past years? King Charlemagne mentioned you when we met -- he said that you were his family priest?" I asked and Otto nodded, a small smile on his face.

"I was, for a brief period of time. In truth, I was more of a source of information about you and the Saxon army," Otto admitted freely. "I'm uncertain what I did, but it is by King Charlemagne's recommendation that I was elevated to a bishop." None of that surprised me. Given my lessons in Frankish and Latin, he was in close proximity to me and the other leaders of the rebellion. As for what Otto did…

"You underestimate your faith," I told him. "King Charlemagne is a true believer, as you are. From what I've seen of other priests… many are second and third sons taking the cloth out of duty or lack of other options."

I could tell Otto didn't disagree with me, even if he was too kind to say it out loud. He would know better than most now that he was rising in the Church. It was something that I understood well now that it wasn't a distant concern anymore -- inheritance. I was the youngest son of a large family, so I never thought I would receive anything from my father upon his death, beyond some money. The farm would go to Brandr, arms and armor would go to Tormond and Halfdan. But, for the youngest of us, we wouldn't expect anything.

Noble families had it worse. Lands could be partitioned only so much while noble titles could only be inherited by the heir. Second sons could hope to receive something, if only a position at court. For third sons and further, the pickings were slimmer and most turned to the Church as a means of providing for themselves.

"You honor me," Otto replied instead. "What of you, my friend? I know the broad strokes from rumors at court, but I can only imagine how they have been exaggerated. Or twisted. Tell me, is it true that you forged a kingdom for the dowry of your wife? The rumors make it sound like a tale of love at first sight. Or that you had fallen prey to the charms of a demon," He asked, raising an eyebrow and I chuckled.

"The first part is true," I admitted. "Though it was not love at first sight. At least I don't think so. Astrid's first words to me, as we were being introduced, was 'You're not ugly, I'll give you that.'" I chuckled at the memory. We'd come a long way since that initial meeting. It was strange to think we had a child together already. "Beyond that, conquering Norway was more of an accident than anything. Something to occupy my time before I came here."

Otto nodded at that, watching as the raven was settled into place and secured. The doorway leading into the library was complete. Once the library was complete, the men that had learned from the Roman architects would be given their own projects -- bathhouses, hospices, and the like. All to test what they learned and what they needed to learn before they took students of their own. "We were surprised to hear that you came to the Roman Empire of all places. Many were certain that you would become King of Denmark."

By that, he meant many feared it. Thinking of it, it would have been an alliance of four kings on Charlemagne's border. Myself, as the King of Denmark, Hoffer as the King of Norway, and King Widukind of Saxony and, in practice, Holland.

I shook my head, "I am not ready to take my vengeance. Or, rather, what would happen after I took it." I admitted with a small frown. "I came here to learn how to do this -- in all of Denmark, Norway, or Saxony, there is no building like this one."

Otto nodded in understanding, "I see." He stated and I could feel the circumstances of our last parting bubble to the surface. It was after the massacre of Verdun, when the revenge killings against the Franks began. Otto had tried to stop them, protecting the Frankish thralls from being sacrificed to appease the spirits of the dead. They had nothing to do with the massacre, they had already been taken prisoner outside of Frankfurt or enthralled long before then, but they were Frankish and that had been enough.

I was the one that pulled Otto aside to allow the revenge killings to happen, even if I did send him away with what few thralls I could send with him.

"Revenge is a heavy burden, but it is one you seem to be carrying well. Better than you were, if I shall be honest," Otto offered and I swallowed a sigh.

"Time has helped," I admitted. The anger was still there. The rage. That part of me that wanted to march to Denmark and rip Horrik and his son limb from limb with my bare hands still lurked under the surface but time and distance make it easier to keep it there. "Revenge is…" I trailed off, before a sigh escaped me.

Otto favored me with a smile, "We may not share a God, but as a priest, I'm rather adept at listening."

My lips thinned and I struggled to find the words for a growing feeling that had taken root since… since I killed Grimar. "I killed one of Horrik's sons in a duel, and I did it for no other reason than he carried the blood of Horrik. But unlike his father, he was a good man. I think he could have been a great man in different circumstances. He was wiser than me, able to set aside our vendetta to focus on larger threats like King Charlemagne."

Otto nodded slowly, letting me speak. So, I did. "Revenge killings are part of our way of life. They are just. And a way to prevent further killings because everyone knows that a son will avenge the death of their kin. In normal circumstances, I would be expected to kill Horrik and all his children. Then, one day, I would prepare for his grandchildren to attempt to kill me and mine." I paused, my lips thinning further. "It is an expectation. If I don't avenge the deaths of my family, then I am honorless. Shameful. No one would respect me and no one would follow me."

"You fear for the life of your child?" Otto ventured and I nodded after a moment of thought.

"In part. Horrik is a king. Our blood feud has consequences beyond the deaths of a clan. I shall become King of Denmark upon his death, as is our way. If you cannot protect something then you cannot claim something is yours." Now, I grimaced. "I will be expected to eliminate all threats to my throne. It's safer not only for me, but for my children. Meaning that I have to extinguish Horrik's bloodline."

It was a common practice. It was expected.

"I still believe in revenge. I will take Horrik and Thorfinn's heads. But… Grimar had saved my life… and vengeance demands that I kill his children," I confessed, and that was where I struggled. "I will have to do it. For my children. Horrik prepared to become King of Denmark all of his life. He has a dozen children, and a score of grandchildren, all of them creating a web of alliances with important tribes. If I don't kill them, then I would leave a dagger at the backs of my own children and grandchildren."

"But you do not have the heart nor the hate to murder children. Babies," Otto said, summarizing my problem. It was a shameful thing to admit. A weakness. Not in the act itself but because…

"I have killed many. So many, I can't even remember when I stopped counting. I have brought devastation to foreign lands in search of wealth and power. The men that I killed likely had families -- wives, sisters, children… and there are likely many that suffered for their deaths. Who went hungry during winter. I'm certain that for everyone I've killed, I'm responsible for a score more deaths as a consequence." I said, knowing that it was true.

And I accepted it. I was a warrior, and the world was shaped with violence and ambition. Death was as much a part of life as living was, and to those that stood across from me in the field of battle, who chose to take up arms against me for whatever reason they might have, they made the choice to fight. To kill. To die.

"But I am too weak to do the deed myself. I can accept it happening out of sight, where I don't know of it, but the thought of killing children with my own hands…" That was weakness. Softhearteness. If my people learned of it, I would be shamed. Mercy only extended so far. When someone was a threat to your kin, mercy… mercy was foolish and dangerous.

Otto listened in silence and I could see him thinking on what I said, a heavy look upon his face. I waited for him to speak, to give a reaction, even if it was rejection. But, when he started, his voice was low and kind. "We live in an imperfect world, Siegfried. For most of my life, I only paid lip service to God and His tenants. I believed, but I was always filled with doubts. Uncertainties. For, if God was All Powerful and All Knowing… then how was it that a pagan barbarian could enter His home and attack His faithful?" He said, favoring me a small smile.

"I am no closer to an answer than I was back then, nor do I know how one can reconcile the Word of God with the circumstances we find ourselves faced with in life." Otto admitted freely, his hands going to a small wooden cross that hung from his neck. "I have prayed, but God has never once spoken to me. Nor shall He, I suspect, unto I meet Him in heaven to be judged."

That wasn't something I could imagine, I realized. The gods had always spoken to me. They had always made their will known when they wished to. I never had to doubt the path the gods wished me to walk, even if I didn't understand why.

"What do you do, then?" I asked him and I realized a simple truth. Otto's faith was stronger than mine. Because it had been tested and tried and he believed even more deeply because of it.

"I act how I believe He would wish me to act. No matter what. Because I cannot imagine standing before God and claiming that virtue was inconvenient at the time," Otto said, reaching out and placing a hand on my shoulder. "I have no true advice I can give you, my friend. I wish that wasn't the case. But your gods are not mine. Your ways are not mine. All I can offer is this -- in cases such as this, do what you believe you can tell your gods of with your head held up high."

It wasn't a solution, but I didn't expect one in all honesty. It was something that I would have to answer myself with my own choices. But, all the same, it was enough.

"Yooo! Sieg! Look at what I found!" I heard Astolfo call out, bringing my attention to her to see that she was waving Ragnar's favorite chew toy -- the toy soldier. The heavy air around us vanished in a moment at her good cheer. "Take inspiration from anyone in particular?" She asked, a grin on her face as she held up the toy and she was right to see the resemblance. I had carved it from her memory.

"Did you steal that from my child?" I asked, cocking an eyebrow at her and she grinned unrepentantly.

"He lobbed it at my head, so I think that counts as giving it to me. He's got an arm, that's for sure -- the apple didn't fall far from the tree there, I think," Astolfo replied, coming to a stop in front of us. "But I also come with news. Letter came for you from the Empress herself," she said, presenting me with the letter in a rather casual manner.

I let out a small huff of amusement before taking it from her, glad for the distraction if nothing else. It kept me from dwelling about an issue that I wouldn't have an answer to for some time. Likely not until I was back in Denmark. And maybe not even until the battles were already won. "What did it say?"

"You're seriously asking one of King Charlmagne's Paladins if he read your mail?" Astolfo made a token effort of being offended while I simply cocked an eyebrow as I broke the seal on the letter. Then she shrugged, "I took a peek, but it was in Latin. I think." She confessed a second later, and she really didn't bother with pretenses.

"Greek," I corrected, looking over the letter. And, slowly, I began to frown and Astolfo looked worried.

"Something bad happen?" She prompted and my lips thinned before I glanced at Otto.

"Depends. How do you feel about a pagan and an Arabian princess joining you to mend this schism?"

Last chapter got about the reaction I expected, so I figured I'd leave an AN. The next chapter is going to tackle it more fully, but it felt worth mentioning.

Siegfried is a pagan in late eighth century. We know what a big deal the schism becomes, but Sieg doesn't. As far as he's aware, it's no big deal and he's just doing his bro Otto a solid. Because, again, he's a pagan of a polytheistic faith, rather than a monotheistic like Christianity is. There's more that I could say, but it would lead to spoilers for the next chapter, so I'd recommend waiting to read that one before anyone blows up my DMs again.

The next chapter is currently available on my Patreon and Subscribe Star, so if you want to read it a week early, all it takes is a single dollar in the tip jar. Or, for five dollars, you can read the chapter after that two weeks before its public release! I hope you enjoyed!

"You're seriously asking one of King Charlmagne's Paladins if he read your mail?" Astolfo made a token effort of being offended while I simply cocked an eyebrow as I broke the seal on the letter. Then she shrugged, "I took a peek, but it was in Latin. I think." She confessed a second later, and she really didn't bother with pretenses.

Again, Siegfried being blind to Astolfo's gender. He just said he was a "he!"

There's more that I could say, but it would lead to spoilers for the next chapter, so I'd recommend waiting to read that one before anyone blows up my DMs again.

What! Come on people, don't DM the author! That's what the comments are for!

Revelations
It was strange what a person could get used to, I mused as I once more sailed into the port of Constantinople. I made the trip once a month to visit the university, picking up materials or taking lessons from teachers that couldn't or wouldn't sail over to Crete. It had been more than a year since my arrival in the greatest city in the world, and now I found it…

Normal.

The awe that it inspired when I first saw it had waned. Then, I had been convinced that it was the perfect city. A city without flaw, grander than anything else on Midgard. Time had worn away the rose tinted lens I viewed the city with. Time and exposure. I saw the dark crevices in the city that had grown because of neglect. I saw that there were parts of Constantinople that were every bit as ugly and dark as the Hagia Sophia and the Palace were grand.

Which wasn't to say that it still wasn't an incredible sight. The jealousy still burned in my chest, but it had been tempered with ambition. I was learning how to recreate their successes and I was learning from their failures -- just as I was learning from the great men of their history.

My ship lightly bounced against the wooden dock that was available to nobles and I found that Irene had sent forth a palanquin to carry us to the palace under a royal escort. A sizable one, I noted, but I suspected that had more to do with Jasmine than what this meeting was about.

Offering a hand, I helped Jasmine off the ship and I could see her apprehension. She kept it off her face, but after half a year of knowing her, it was when her face was expressionless that she most gave away her feelings. She was rather spoiled for choice on reasons why to be nervous, I could admit. This was the first time that Irene had turned her gaze to Jasmine beyond acknowledging that I had taken her prisoner. The fact that she had been summoned was an unwelcome development made worse by the fact that Rajah had to stay behind on Crete, as a tiger wouldn't be permitted to be in the same room as the Emperor's mother And regent.

Jasmine offered a small, thin, smile as she accepted my hand and stepped into Constantinople for the first time. She was followed by Otto and Astolfo, and once everyone had disembarked, the messenger stepped forward. "Lord Siegfried, we have been instructed to bring you and your companions to Regent Irene's residence," the man informed. A quick flash of True Sight marked him as neutral, and I didn't detect a lie.

Still, it was interesting that I was the one being addressed. Jasmine went ignored, as did Otto and Astolfo.

"Very well then. Escort us," I replied, noting that the palanquins were covered. Irene sought to obscure their presence, I realized, sharing a palanquin with Jasmine while Otto and Astolfo got in the other. I wasn't entirely sure it was to prevent any Abbasid spies from acting on the information that Jasmine had left Crete either.

A moment later, we were being carried to the palace and Jasmine looked through the small slits of the walls. "Do you… know why we're here?" Jasmine questioned and I shook my head, making her frown. "I think I'm being insulted," she noted, glancing at me. "It's improper that we're sharing a space together like this."

"You might be right about that," I agreed. We weren't married, yet we were being ushered to share a palanquin together. Irene had to know that my arrival, thus Jasmine's, wouldn't go unnoticed. Meaning word would eventually reach Caliph Harun's ears and by that time, I could only imagine how the rumors would twist themselves into something grotesque. It's a ploy that I could easily see Irene using to provoke the Abbasids into taking a rash action. But, there were better ways to get the same result.

Still, Jasmine looked bothered. "Would you care for some advice on insults from someone who has suffered a great many at the hands of the Romans?" I asked in Arabic, doing what I could to make sure we weren't overheard.

That got a smile out of her and I caught a hint of teeth beneath her veil, "I would be a fool to ignore wisdom from a master of being insulted."

"There are two kinds of insults -- those that you can ignore and those that you can't." I said, and Jasmine didn't seem too impressed with my wisdom, so I chuckled and continued. "When I first arrived in this land, there was a man who insulted me. He insulted my clothing, my people, and my wives. All to my face, because he thought I didn't speak his language and I didn't correct him on that assumption. In response, I made a fool out of him by costing him a great deal of money."

Chares. I didn't think about him much, not anymore. I had no reason to.

"Those insults? I could have ignored them," I admitted. It hadn't felt that way at the time, but that was my own arrogance speaking. I had just come from Saxony and Norway, where I was treated as a god that walked Midgard, to being insulted. It was a harsh change. "I didn't. I felt like my honor had been besmirched, so I retaliated. In my retaliation, I made an enemy I didn't need to. And, as enemies do, he sought to retaliate against me for making a fool of him by making a fool of me."

In the end, I suffered far more grievous insults than what I heard from Chares in my time here. In my talks with Otto, I understood the conflict with Chares a little better. I understood revenge a little more.

Jasmine was listening so I continued, "He treated me and Astrid like circus animals at one of his parties under the guise of an invitation to celebrate a holiday. Then one of his kin put his hands on Astrid, and I retaliated by challenging him to a duel. I killed his son and I shattered the jaw of the man who touched my wife." A small sigh escaped me before I glanced out the slit, watching as the palace drew closer. "Those insults I couldn't ignore, and they had to be answered. There is a difference between honor and pride. At first, Chares insulted my pride but I mistook it for my honor."

In the end, I was the one responsible for our feud. Chares certainly hadn't helped himself, but looking back on it, I understood that I had been the one that escalated first. Then, upon retaliation, I hadn't stopped until Chares was ruined and hung by the neck until dead.

I hadn't liked the man. I didn't respect him. I very much doubted that we would have gotten along even if I had the opportunity to go back and do things differently. So, I don't particularly regret his death either.

It was just something I reflected on. At the time I had felt like I was the victim in our feud. That hadn't been the case.

Jasmine was silent as I finished, mulling over what I said. "How do I tell the difference?" She asked, and to that, I could only offer an unhelpful shrug.

"In my case? Experience," I admitted and, to that, Jasmine just shook her head with some amusement. It was better than the nervousness she had carried herself with.

"Then your advice is to be insulted more? Truly, your wisdom is the equal to King Solomon, my lord," Jasmine replied and I let out a huff of amusement.

"You've spent too much time with Morrigan," I pointed out and Jasmine didn't deny the accusation. And, as if summoned, through the slit of the palanquin I saw the raven that followed us through the city. The bird had grown into itself over the past six months, now able to fly freely. When I gazed upon it with True Sight, it was marked blue, telling me that Morrigan was watching through the raven's eyes.

It was a brief respite, but the mood grew tense once more as we arrived at the palace. The palanquin opened and we were ushered out and into the open doors, following a guard. Out of the corner of my expanded vision, I paid close attention to the others' reactions to what was on display -- Astolfo looked every bit as stupefied as I had felt when I first arrived. The Romans certainly knew how to bludgeon you over the head with how obscenely rich they were.

Interestingly, Jasmine barely seemed to register the decorations. It was a reminder that she had grown up a princess, and such sights were common for her. Otto, however, had an almost puzzling reaction. He outright frowned at the wealth on display, seeming almost personally offended by their presence. His complaints, whatever they were, he kept to himself.

We weren't ushered into the throne room, but the room was no less impressive. It resided at the back end of the palace, towards the gardens -- the large double doors swung open, revealing the interior. The floors were inlaid with a mosaic, the walls were covered in the same blue material that the Hagia Sophia was. The roof was a dome, and it was partitioned with stained glass, letting colored light filter through. Before us was a long table that was richly carved, surrounded by marble pillars and in the space between them were servants that each carried an item worthy to pay a king's ransom.

Irene sat at the head of the table, flanked by Aetios and Staurakios. Sitting directly to her side, however, was Patriarch Nicetas. She wore a vibrant purple dress embroidered with golden thread, a crown heavy with jewels, with a scepter in one hand. She was the very image of an Empress, and I was under the impression that's exactly what she was aiming for.

"Welcome, guests from Francia. Lord Siegfried… and Princess Jasmine," Irene acknowledged, her gaze sliding to each of us. My gaze, however, drifted to Patriarch Nicetas. I didn't even need True Sight to know that man saw me as an enemy. He was openly glaring at me, his face twisted as if he had bitten into something sour, offended by my mere presence. I suppose it was a good thing he was directing his ire at me rather than Jasmine.

I was vaguely aware of him, mostly due to him frequently and loudly demanding that I be executed for being a demon worshiper. Or a godless creature. Or a pagan. He wasn't too picky when it came to why he wanted me dead. So, for that reason alone, I was about as happy to be in the same room with him as he was me.

"You honor us with your presence, Regent Irene," Otto greeted, bowing his head.

Irene smiled magnanimously, "Be seated at my invitation," she instructed in Latin and that meant all of us, I reasoned. Servants stepped forward, sliding chairs back for us, and there seemed to me an arranged seating. Jasmine and Otto were seated closer to Irene while Astolfo and I were seated further away. "I was rather surprised to receive a letter from Lord Siegfried, speaking on behalf of a Christian, and a bishop no less. I suspect there's a story there."

Otto glanced at me and our eyes met for the briefest of seconds. He seemed to understand the message I sent with my eyes and decided to play along.

After all, he was the one who taught me Latin.

"It is something of a story, your majesty. We met when he was but a boy at the start of the Saxon rebellion. I was charged with sanctifying a modest church in a fortress when they attacked. We met officially when I attempted to tackle him when he went to loot a holy cross." He admitted, and it did me no favors there. But, the slight smile he wore caused more confusion than anything. "He spared my life when he realized I could speak Norse on the condition I teach him Frankish and about the Holy Bible. A curiosity that had yet to wane in him as I hear."

Patriarch Nicetas was glaring at me openly now while Irene simply looked interested. "I suspect that there is more to it considering how favorably he speaks of you?"

"I was angry for a time, that is true. But I had faith in God and His plan, and I did my best to follow His will. In that time, despite our introduction, I found that while we do not share gods, Siegfried is a good and honorable man. More so than most. His sins are many, but at the same time, he has shown far more mercy and compassion for others than anyone else I can think of in his position. As different as we are, we have more in common."

It was an honest struggle to keep my face from showing my reaction. I had been flattered before. I had been called a god before with earnest belief. But, I don't think I had been as proud to receive another's praise quite like this before.

Irene tilted her head ever so slightly, her gaze sliding to me. I could only guess at her thoughts before she offered a practiced smile, "Forgive our rudeness -- Bishop Otto was telling me of how you met. I'm sure it is quite the tale, one I would wish to hear in full. Yet, it is not my curiosity which has brought you here," she said, speaking in Greek. "Lord Siegfried, do me a kindness and translate our words to Princess Jasmine."

I nodded in agreement, though it wasn't really a request. Irene didn't ask for permission or forgiveness or requests. She demanded it.

"Tell me, Bishop Otto -- what has seen a western bishop sent to my lands?" Irene questioned, and she was getting rather comfortable with her position, I noticed. The mask and pretenses put up as a veneer of legitimacy were slowly falling away, laying bare her true intentions. "Along with one of King Charlemagne's most famous Paladins," she added, looking to Astolfo, who was as serious as I had ever seen her. Which told me she was already bored and uninterested in the conversation.

"It is a matter of faith, Regent Irene," Otto said, inclining his head to her. "His Holiness Pope Adrian has come increasingly aware of the growing gulf between the Faith of the West and the East. We wish to mend this gulf before it were to become irreparable."

Patriarch Nicetas's lips thinned, going to speak but Irene raised a hand, silencing him. That, more than anything else, caused a stirring in Otto. It wasn't much of a reaction, but he stiffened ever so slightly. In Patriarch Nicetas's place, Irene spoke, "You speak of the Iconoclasm debate."

"Exactly so. Pope Adrian desires for the matter to be brought to a close with the restoration of icons, in line with western doctrine. Something that he felt Emperor Constantine would be amenable to," Otto said and I watched as the conversation developed while softly translating everything said to Jasmine. By Emperor Constantine, he meant Irene, and I don't think he was wrong there. I paid little attention to rumors and hearsay when it came to Christianity, but I'm fairly certain that Irene was an iconophile.

Irene offered a polite practiced smile, "I am most certain he would. The growing… rift has concerned us as well. Our faith should be unified as we find ourselves surrounded by hostile faiths, as King Charlemagne has learned. One faith, one church, under God, as it should be."

I had absolutely no idea why I was here, I thought, watching as Otto smiled politely back at her in agreement. None of this concerned me. In all honesty, I'm not even sure what the issue was.

Irene continued, "I have been making preparations for a grand debate to settle the issue of icons within the church. If Pope Adrian would wish to lend his support and aid in the debate held in Constantinople, then he would be welcomed in our halls." Otto's lack of reaction was a reaction in itself. He had underestimated the depths of Irene's ambition.

The conflict was one of power as much as it was one of faith. If not more so. I knew rather little of this Pope, beyond the fact that he probably didn't like me, but I knew that Irene wanted the Christian faith under her control. Which the Pope wasn't because he was under King Charlemagne's control, to my knowledge. What Irene wanted was submission from this Pope, acknowledgment, and the influence and power that came from removing a rival.

"I would be happy to pass your invitation to His Holiness. I know he will be overjoyed to lend you his aid, with an invitation to have the matter debated in Rome." Otto countered and Irene offered a polite smile that was sharp enough to cut.

"His invitation lightens my heart, but I worry for the outcome of such a debate in Rome from those that have no first hand experience in regards to the issue at hand," Irene countered. "As I worry how we would be seen by rival faiths. Lord Siegfried, an answer to a query I would ask of you," she started, suddenly turning to me and I suppose I was about to find out why I was here in the first place. "Amongst your followers, you have those that call your patron god Odin, and those that call him Woden. Why is this?"

I glanced at Otto, who fought off a small frown as I considered how to answer. But I wasn't entirely sure what she was trying to accomplish with that question. So, cautiously, I answered honestly, "It is because the Saxons worship the gods differently than us." I said, and that was apparently exactly what she wished to hear because she gave a dazzling triumphant smile to Otto.

"Christianity has been divided once already with the founding of the Islamic faith, and Judasiam before that," Otto started, only to pause at my visible confusion.

I glanced around the table, who were now all looking at me. It was Astolfo who spoke, though, "What's that face for? You knew that, right?"

I was a bit too stunned to lie, "I- no. Wait, Muslims and Christians share a God? I thought- Muslims worship Allah, do they not?" I questioned, looking at Jasmine, who seemed confused by my confusion. This was increasingly baffling and I was starting to struggle to make sense of this. "I-... what is happening right now?"

Otto seemed to take pity on me and provided an answer. "Christians, Muslims, and Jews are all children of the book. The difference lay in deviations of interpretation. Christians believe that Jesus Christ to be the son of God, sent here and sacrificed to deliver us from our sins. Muslims, while I am no true expert, acknowledge Jesus as a prophet, but their doctrine was shaped by a man named Muhammad. The Jews were the original founding of the faith, it could be said, with Christianity forming upon Jesus' death and resurrection. They, however, do not believe that Jesus was the son of God."

What? I-... I knew some of that, or at least I thought I did. I knew that the Jews were blamed for the death of Christ because it seemed the Christians were honor-bound to bring it up every single time the Jews were brought up. However, I was led to believe that they worshiped a god named Yahweh.

I had so many questions I'm not even sure where to start. I wasn't the only one with questions as Staurakios spoke up, "Would you have us believe that pagans never fight each other because they share a faith?"

"We fight each other all the time, but I don't think it's ever been about faith. At least, nothing beyond raiding one another in the name of the gods," I said, mulling over this development. My answer caused some confusion, so I elaborated. "The gods are the gods. It doesn't matter if they call him Woden or we Odin. Or if our rituals are different. No, more than that -- if you were to go to Denmark, you would find that village by village they honor the gods differently. Sometimes there would be differences house by house. It doesn't matter, however."

Everyone was looking as confused as I felt the more I explained. "The gods are the gods. If they cannot hear your prayers because you called them the wrong name, or misperformed a ritual, then they cannot be called gods. They hear you through the act of prayer." That's the part that confused me the most.

In my time here, there hadn't been any difficulties between my Norse and Saxon warriors when it came to faith. I couldn't claim I understood all of the Saxon rituals, but I never thought to begrudge them in any way. Faith, when it came down to it, was personal. There was no right way to honor the gods. So long as you honored them, that was enough. They heard you through your actions and beliefs.

Which was what made this revelation so baffling. The Christians and Muslims and Jews hated each other so fiercely for what amounted to differences in belief in the same God.

The entire thing was just… strange. I couldn't understand it. I was trying, but the pieces simply weren't fitting together. I couldn't imagine holding the same visceral hatred that these 'brothers of the book' held for one another against the Saxons for what amounted to be different rights. To the same god.

It felt absurd. I'd suspect I was being pranked if I didn't know any better.

"I believe this may be part of a wider discussion," Irene said after a long moment of thought as she considered Otto. "But, first, I am… in agreement that the icon issue must be laid to rest." She said, steering the conversation back and I could see Otto snapping out of his thoughts.

He hesitated to answer for a moment, glancing at me. "In light of this revelation… I… will confess that I find it unlikely that Pope Adrian would agree to house the debate in Constantinople," he admitted and Irene seemed surprised with the admission. "I cannot claim I know what is best for the faith. Only that infighting cannot be the way forward. I would put forth an… alternative, if you would find such a thing agreeable."

Irene also looked at me and I started to get a sinking feeling in my gut. It wasn't the gods speaking to me, I don't think, but I got the very distinct impression that something truly awful was heading in my direction.

"I believe I have an inkling of what this suggestion might be, but go on," Irene instructed and Otto wasted no time throwing me into the thick of it.

"I suggest that the debate be held in a more neutral setting, not entirely within the Western or the Eastern strongholds of power. I suggest that the debate be held in Crete. Norland, specifically," he offered with a small, somewhat apologetic smile at my flat expression.

Patriarch Nicetas didn't like the idea. I would go as far as to say he hated it. And me, for that matter. You'd think it was my idea based on how he was glaring at me. His opinion was of no consequence and Irene made sure he knew it, "I would be amenable to this idea. A forum would need to be constructed, of course." She said, looking my way.

I regretted speaking. Now I was stuck building a forum to house a debate about a religion I didn't even understand at this point, much less follow. Between people who hated me.

A small sigh escaped me as I looked to Otto, then Irene, "I don't suppose that I can refuse?" I tried, not even bothered if this cost me her favor.

She must have thought the question was a jest because she laughed, "No, you may not."

Great. That was just… perfect.

I bet I wouldn't have to deal with this madness if I sided with the Abbasids.

I wanted to clarify something a bit before I get some messages -- I'm not saying that Pagans never had any religious turmoil. I'm saying that they, in large part, never had anything like what we see with the response to the Protestant movement or the Reformation. Where you're still worshiping the same god, just in slightly different ways, and that inspired such hatred that Christians and Catholics started to slaughter each other and themselves.

The best example I can think of is what Rome did in its pagan days. When they conquered a new land, they'd go, 'Oh, you worship a God of War? We do too. You have a God of Harvest? OMGs, we do too. Wait, you have harvest festivals?! And Pre-battle rituals? Bro, you aren't going to believe this, but I think we're worshiping the same gods and just calling them different names.'

This also blends in to another point of that most pagan religions are inherently personal rather than monolithic. Which is partly why Christianity was so good at infiltrating pagan lands and removing it to the point we call the Norse faith norse mythology. So, deviations in personal worship are expected. You dealt with your gods firsthand, and if that wasn't working, then you went to someone that was seen to have a deeper connection to the gods, like a wise woman or witch.

So, to Sieg, as a pagan in the late eighth century, he can't even begin to imagine how big of a deal the schism could be. Now, what was just a letter of introduction is steadily becoming more.

Damn, you guys have warfare, agriculture and childbirth too? That's crazy dude, have you ever tried DMT

(Tribal pagan Joe Rogan)

Historians are gonna be arguing about how involved Siegfried was in this debate for a thousand years. This is going to be a magnificent disaster for somebody, probably him.

Further, why the hell is Jasmine here? What is Irene up to bringing her to this meeting?

I wanted to clarify something a bit before I get some messages -- I'm not saying that Pagans never had any religious turmoil. I'm saying that they, in large part, never had anything like what we see with the response to the Protestant movement or the Reformation. Where you're still worshiping the same god, just in slightly different ways, and that inspired such hatred that Christians and Catholics started to slaughter each other and themselves.

The best example I can think of is what Rome did in its pagan days. When they conquered a new land, they'd go, 'Oh, you worship a God of War? We do too. You have a God of Harvest? OMGs, we do too. Wait, you have harvest festivals?! And Pre-battle rituals? Bro, you aren't going to believe this, but I think we're worshiping the same gods and just calling them different names.'

This also blends in to another point of that most pagan religions are inherently personal rather than monolithic. Which is partly why Christianity was so good at infiltrating pagan lands and removing it to the point we call the Norse faith norse mythology. So, deviations in personal worship are expected. You dealt with your gods firsthand, and if that wasn't working, then you went to someone that was seen to have a deeper connection to the gods, like a wise woman or witch.

So, to Sieg, as a pagan in the late eighth century, he can't even begin to imagine how big of a deal the schism could be. Now, what was just a letter of introduction is steadily becoming more.
I agree with you in general, but I think you're off on some key points. The big thing is that Sieg would be baffled by this conflict over doctrine, as orthodoxy just wasn't valued all that much. Orthopraxy, on the other hand, was much more important. If you weren't honouring the gods in the proper way, people would start to care very quickly.

Migration
I was going to have to build a forum, I realized. And rush construction for several of my other projects. I refused to be shamed by the Christians that would soon flood my town. I'm certain that they would find a way to complain about something, but I refused to allow their complaints to be rooted in anything except for their own prejudice. And, admittedly, I wanted to watch them choke on their insults when I made something clear -- that I had built a city equal to any that they had ever seen and that I did so in a single year.

For I had six months to build up Norland. To construct a forum worthy of a grand debate to settle some issue I didn't really understand. It was an honor, I could recognize. If I was a Christian, I imagine I would feel very blessed by being chosen to house such a debate. But I wasn't. So, instead, I was mostly inconvenienced and, worse, I wasn't in a position to refuse. Irene had already settled on a course of action that she believed would grant her what she wanted.

Maybe I could resist such an order, but it would be more costly than to simply grit my teeth and accept the burden. In the end, I was a guest in these lands. My success rested largely due to Irene's favor and with the sheer number of enemies I had in the empire, I doubted that I would survive if she removed her royal protection. Which would leave me in a position to turn to the Abbasids, but at the same time, they only courted me so desperately because they didn't wish to face me on the field of battle again.

"I apologize for the inconvenience, Siegfried," Otto offered, looking sufficiently chagrined after the meeting had ended. We rode together in a larger palanquin that was taking us to the university. I needed knowledge, wisdom, and perhaps to shamelessly steal some inspiration from other great buildings. "Seeing Regent Irene… I understood what you meant. Pope Adrian desires to force her to come to him. To make the East yield to the West for the sake of appearances. But, she never would have agreed to such a thing, so I volunteered your lands because it was the closest compromise I could think of."

I grunted, accepting the apology for what it was. I understood his reasoning. He had his own mission given to him by the Church. Honestly, if he hadn't tried something like this to spare me some inconvenience, I would think less of Otto for it. His resolve would have wavered in my eyes. That being said, I was still annoyed at the prospect. "Surely your Pope shall have reservations? I am a pagan and while I rule Norland, it is a pagan settlement."

Otto inclined his head, "I suspect that it shall be a task to convince His Holiness to compromise on the location." he admitted freely, so there was still hope that this could be called off. A shadow of hope, but I would take it. "But… as most would see it, you are a pagan under a Christian ruler. Your beliefs are tolerated at Regent Irene's sufferance. And… well… forcing a pagan to house a Christian debate… does sound like quite the insult." He admitted sheepishly.

I grunted again, unhappy with the turn of events. "I suppose I'll simply have to bear this insult," I admitted. Getting out of this obligation would be far more costly than simply going through with it. Though… I didn't have to accept this with a grimace and a smile. I had to build the forum, I had to house the debate… but I could make things ever so slightly uncomfortable for the influx of Christians I would be forced to deal with.

"Again, my apologies," Otto offered.

I waved him off, "There is no point in apologizing. You'd do it again if given the chance, and you should. You were given a quest and you used everything in your means to complete it," I replied.

That got a small sigh out of Otto, "One can fulfill his obligations and still feel guilt for the means with which he fulfilled them." He replied evenly.

"Your guilt is apology enough," I said, absolving him of wrongdoing. If our positions were reversed, I very well might have done the same thing. Despite my words, I could tell that the measure he took didn't sit well with Otto, but by that time we had arrived at the university. Getting out first, I held out a hand for Jasmine, who took it before looking around with barely concealed delight.

"This is where you study, is it not?" She asked, her gaze lingering on the very same statue that mine had when I first arrived.

"When I have the time," I confirmed. I spent less time here at the university than I would prefer. But, my studies hadn't suffered from my extended stays in Norland, overseeing its development. And I didn't expect that to change in the coming days.

Otto and Astolfo followed, while I cast a glance at Jasmine, curious about her reaction. She caught the glance and answered the unspoken question, "My brother would talk about the University of Constantinople. I think he wished to conquer the Romans merely to get his hands on their texts."

To that, I chuckled. "Perhaps he will get the opportunity once I leave," I said to her in Arabic as the doors were opened for me and I took the familiar path to the library. There were other students in the halls, but they gave me a wide berth, even if they were curious about who was joining me.

My words inspired a flash of a smile behind her veil before it was quick to fall. "I… will confess that I have some interest in the library as well. I'm glad to have the opportunity to visit… even if I don't yet understand why I'm here in the first place," Jasmine admitted.

She had been all but ignored during that meeting. I didn't trust this city enough to leave her unattended, so I thought it best that she stay close while we were here. So far, there has been no clear reason provided for why she had been summoned, and I was starting to suspect that there wasn't a clear reason. Meaning that there was some kind of subterfuge going on.

"There is a decent chance that someone will try to contact you while we are here," I ventured, figuring that was the most likely case. Irene was gearing up for war once more. "They may be Abbasids, or they may be Romans claiming to be Abbasids. I would be cautious in trusting what they have to say."

Jasmine glanced at me as we entered the library, and I was greeted with the familiar scent of parchment and ink. "You believe the Romans seek war?"

"I know Irene does," I admitted easily. "She wants to get her use out of me while I'm here. She's not satisfied with fending off an invasion, she wants to take territory as well. She'd be the first ruler of Constantinople to do so in the better part of a century," I noted to Jasmine's careful consideration while Otto and Astolfo ventured forth. I was still speaking Arabic, so they caught the hint that it was a private conversation. "And I suspect that she wants this war and debate to happen at roughly around the same time."

"Would that not risk disaster?" Jasmine questioned as we began to walk the library in search of what I was looking for.

"If not timed well? Of course," I agreed. "But, I'm finding that people only have it in them to be outraged about one thing at a time. There are going to be many iconoclasts that will take issue with the result of the debate, and under normal circumstances, they very well might take up arms. But, if the Abbasids were to attack? Then that ire would be directed at the Caliphate for a time. And any victories we win would, naturally, be credited to God and his approval of the restoration of icons."

I couldn't say that I entirely cared for how I was learning how these people thought. The days when all of my problems could be solved with an axe were missed rather fondly, even if this was exactly why I had come here in the first place.

I was learning how to think like a king.

Irene's scheme was an ambitious one. One that would serve her well. For, I was certain that she would reap the credit for the victories. She was stepping out of the shadow of her son, and victories like this -- a mending of the faith and territorial gains against an old enemy? That would be exactly what she needed to claim the throne in earnest.

Coming to a stop in front of a shelf, I picked a scroll and unfurled it before smirking at the contents. I had recalled correctly. "Take this. Give it to the person that contacts you, but only if you know and trust them. Also, give them a message to pass along to your brother -- I would prefer it if we didn't face each other in battle while I remain here."

Jasmine didn't know what to make of that, I could tell, as she examined the scroll. She wore a heavy frown beneath her veil, her dark eyes getting mine. "Is this not a risk for you?" She questioned, able to glean my plan.

"It is. But I am not Irene's hound that she can command at her pleasure. I'm accepting the task that she orders because it's not worth the cost of going against her. However, what she intends conflicts with my own ambitions and interferes with my studies," I said, taking another scroll and opening it. "I don't desire a war that would impact the growth of Norland. So, I hope to change Irene's target for when the war is called."

It wouldn't be so simple, and it was entirely possible that the momentum behind such decisions was well outside of my ability to influence. But, I thought I had a decent enough chance to make it happen. Or not happen, as it were.

Jasmine was here to provoke the Abbasids. For Irene's ploy to work, the Abbasids would need to be the ones to declare war and launch an invasion -- that way, her detractors would have another enemy to focus on. The army summoned wouldn't be wielded against her in a sudden rebellion because the stakes would be too high.

Jasmine inspected the scroll a moment longer, putting the pieces together. "This… I would likely be your captive for… some time," Jasmine ventured, glancing back up at me.

I nodded in acknowledgment, "Most likely." I admitted, understanding that the deal wasn't ideal for her. If I managed to avoid an invasion into the Caliphate, then that meant Jasmine would be used as a bargaining chip to keep the peace. Worse, she'd likely endure insults and worse as Irene would seek to use her to provoke her brother into action.

"And if the acting Empress calls for my head?" Jasmine questioned, holding my gaze.

That was a question that had bothered me. I was duty bound to execute her on Irene's orders, but that didn't settle well with me. If it wasn't for Otto and our talk, I'm not sure if I would have an honest answer to give her.

"I would follow the order. Only to discover that you had escaped because of spies that had infiltrated Norland," I told her and her eyes widened minutely. Telling her that was probably not the wisest decision, I could admit. In the end, she was a hostage, and if the Caliphate thought that there was no danger? Then they'd move freely against the Romans.

But talking to Otto helped put some things in perspective. I still didn't know what I would do when I returned to Denmark, but here? Now? It was one thing to kill a man that had picked up a weapon and chose to fight. That was war. Battle.

But I had never murdered anyone in my life, and I would be damned before I allowed Irene to make a murderer out of me.

"In that case… I have something I wish to add to this bargain," Jasmine decided, turning her eyes to the library around us. "I wish to study here. And at your library," she said, catching my attention and I tilted my head ever so slightly. Her lips thinned before she elaborated, "My father…"

She trailed off before she openly grimaced, "He loved me, in his own way. He wanted me to be protected. Safe. And because of it, I never left the palace. My entire world was a handful of rooms and a garden. The past few months have been… an adventure, of sorts. I never imagined I would experience the things that I have. Or learned the things that I did. I… have learned of my ignorance and I wish to do away with it."

"That," I started, "is something that I can understand very well."

I'm sure it would be a scandal of sorts, but… well…

That was hardly my problem, now was it?

Jasmine didn't tell me when someone eventually made contact with her, but I knew when it happened by a change in her demeanor. We stayed three days in Constantinople, largely because Otto needed to finalize the proposal that he would bring to the pope. I used that time to familiarize myself with the library and make contact with a few sources within the city.

As irritating as it was to be saddled with the duty, I could admit that Irene was at least following through when it came to helping me accomplish the task. It was for that reason I found myself being joined by a dozen of Rome's most renowned architects and a dozen more skilled stone masons. An opportunity for my own burgeoning core of architects to learn from masters.

Not to mention that she had essentially given me access to the treasury to rapidly develop Norland into a city worthy of housing such a debate.

So, over the course of three months, we went to work. The quarry was expanded by half, pulling up marble from the ground as if it was dirt. All of it being reshaped and carved, laid out in the form of bricks of various sizes that were then shaped further into whatever we needed. All under the watchful eye of my people who learned all that they could before sharing their teachings.

All of Norland was under construction. An aqueduct was being built to connect bath houses that were rapidly being built to natural hot springs. The roads were greatly expanded. Houses were going up by the dozen. Things were so busy that my library opened with little fanfare.

However, it wasn't just the Romans that helped.

Caliph Harun never gave me a direct answer one way or the other, but his actions spoke his intention as a week after the construction began, he sent over his own architects, much to the displeasure of the Romans. Even more so when they began to alter the designs of the planned forum, adding touches such as domed spires. In addition to my own adjustments, such as the ship hull roofs that my people preferred.

The entire process was being aided by Hadi- or, rather, his wife, who was all too happy to accept my bargains as I purchased a great deal from her. Materials such as wood and iron, paints and pigments, wine, oil, and more. Because of it, Norland was in a constant state of activity. Ships arrived and left in droves, forcing me to look towards establishing a second harbor because the inner harbor was already at capacity. As a result, Hadi's lands were as enriched by our dealings as mine were.

Which left the forum itself.

With the library constructed, I had two of the five notable buildings that the gods demanded to complete the quest they had given me and I decided that the forum would be the third. It was adjacent to the library itself for the purpose that once this grand debate was settled, the students of the library could continue to use the forum. Possibly for hundreds of years in the future.

The designs for it made it the largest of the buildings that I had constructed. The debate chamber itself would be a large circle of staggered rows that rose up. The most important speakers would be in the heart of the circle, surrounded by a ring of seats. Then that ring would be surrounded by another, and then another until there were six rings in total. Provided that no one minded losing some elbow room, the central chamber would be able to seat a thousand people.

The ceiling would be a large dome of the Caliphate style. If we had more time, I would focus on more decorations, perhaps painting the dome and the walls themselves. But, we didn't. Things were rushed as it was with only six months to complete the project and that deadline was only possible because of the many, many, many hands that were sharing the workload. The extension to the central chamber was a large U shape with the central chamber in the curve of the U.

The two long arms would be classrooms, I decided. Two storied, which meant that each arm would be able to hold a dozen classrooms of reasonable length. The classrooms were smaller, and fewer, than the University of Constantinople but that was acceptable. When I returned to Denmark, I resolved to create a university twice the size of the one in Constantinople.

The central area would hold a garden filled with herbs and plants -- some useful but most would be for aesthetics. Especially when the empty space would eventually be filled out with statues.

As I stood before the forum, I could practically see what it would look like upon completion. Even as hundreds of people toiled day and night to complete it before the debate. And, it was there when I received some news that made all my plans come to a screeching halt.

"Our scout in Kiev has reported back," Astrid informed me and, I should have known that she was delivering bad news based on her expression. "Gerald and my brother have returned to the city."

"They're months late," I noted, a friend in my voice and a pit starting to open up in my gut. "Did something happen?" I had been relieved when Gerald didn't rush back in the heart of winter, but winter had turned into spring and then summer. They had been delayed by nearly four months.

Astrid offered an expression that I could only describe as sheepish. "They were delayed by needing to forage and hunt along the way. Their numbers… are more than their food reserves could handle."

I stilled, glancing at Astrid with narrowed eyes, "... How many of our people are coming our way?" I asked quietly, uncertain if I really wanted the answer.

Astrid, to her credit, spat the truth out regardless of my concerns. "They scrounged up around two hundred ships, according to our scout. And they're full to the point of bursting -- not just with warriors, but families and kinfolk. I reckon… close to ten thousand of our people are sailing down to Norland. All to meet you."

I closed my eyes for a moment and a headache immediately set in.

Astrid chuckled at my misery, "If nothing else, this whole debate thing just got a lot more exciting, huh?"

The next chapter is currently available on my Patreon and Subscribe Star, so if you want to read it a week early, all it takes is a single dollar in the tip jar. Or, for five dollars, you can read the chapter after that two weeks before its public release! I hope you enjoyed!

I stilled, glancing at Astrid with narrowed eyes, "... How many of our people are coming our way?" I asked quietly, uncertain if I really wanted the answer.

Astrid, to her credit, spat the truth out regardless of my concerns. "They scrounged up around two hundred ships, according to our scout. And they're full to the point of bursting -- not just with warriors, but families and kinfolk. I reckon… close to ten thousand of our people are sailing down to Norland. All to meet you."

I closed my eyes for a moment and a headache immediately set in.

Astrid chuckled at my misery, "If nothing else, this whole debate thing just got a lot more exciting, huh?"

Ha ha ha ha! 🤣

Poor Siegfried, no matter what he does his followers will keep increasing. Whether he wants it or not.

The reactions of the Christians and the Abbasids to what is basicaly a mass pilgrimage just to meet him will be hilarious.

And when the Norse pilgrims will see the incredible city he has built, they will belive he is a god even more!

Ten thousand people. Goodness gracious that's one hell of a lot of reinforcements. You could conquer a small country with that even if you didn't have Sieg's divine blessings.

At this rate he might end up never actually giving Norland up, though that would make ruling Denmark difficult.

Uncomfortable Expectations
Ten thousand people… ten thousand of my people. Coming here. To Norland.

This was… a problem, for a number of reasons, and I was struggling to decide which was the most pressing. Ten thousand people wasn't a small number. That was a migration. Norland was already in a state of expansion and development, so the massive influx of people wasn't impossible to handle, but up until this point I had enjoyed a steady trickle of migrants to Norland. A significant portion would have to go out to populate and establish villages.

But there were also the opinions of the Roman Empire to consider. I enjoyed Irene's favor largely because I was a temporary problem.

I was a convenient shield for any ire she drew with her increasingly reaching grasps for power, and any influence I amassed, any positions or titles I acquired -- as far as she was concerned, all of it would only matter for a few short years before I sailed to the other end of the world and promptly ceased to be her problem.

My having two thousand warriors raised some eyebrows and concerns from the nobility. Reasonable ones, I could admit. I would have concerns as well if a relative unknown entered my kingdom with an army, with only a promise that they wouldn't use it on me. Ten thousand people, on two hundred ships? That was far more than I or anyone else expected. This was going to get a reaction out of Irene because she would have to give one. Even if only a fraction of the people coming were warriors, answers would be demanded about the influx of people.

Then there was the grand debate that was going to be happening in a few short months. The event that would see some of the most important Christian leaders in the world gather together in my fledgling town to have their all-important debate about matters I didn't even bother trying to understand at this point. A town that would be similarly filled with my people -- with pagans.

Norland was already a simmering pot with nothing but me and my army acting as the lid. I wasn't sure what would happen exactly when my people arrived, but experience taught me to expect nothing good.

"This is a problem," I noted, speaking to Ragnar, who bounced on my knee as I tapped my foot against marble flooring in my Longhouse. He was content to chew on one of the toys I had made for him, giggling as he bounced with my hand on his back to make sure he didn't fall. The words were directed to Ragnar, but I didn't expect an answer. "This outstripped my expectations… significantly."

That was a good thing, when you looked at it by itself and didn't focus on all the problems that would arise because of it. I had sent Gerald and Hoffer to drain Horrik of his strength and manpower, and while I was uncertain how many people resided in Denmark, between the war over the crown, the warriors sent to Francia, and now this -- I knew I was sapping Horrik of his ability to defend himself. Of men. I hoped to drain Denmark of its gray haired warriors and green boys alike.

The families that came would be a great loss for him as well. My time in Crete had taught me how fragile the intricate web of villages and towns really were. A mass migration of laborers, even unskilled ones, was a massive disruption in Denmark's trade and Horrik would be left scrambling… possibly right up until I returned. This, as inconvenient as it might be for me, was a far larger blow to Horrik. The kind that he likely wouldn't be able to recover from. That alone almost made all the trouble that was coming my way worth it.

My foot stopped bouncing and Ragnar was immediately annoyed, waving his toy around until I picked him up to approach the table bearing the model of Crete that I had been working on for more than a year now. That caught his interest just as it held mine. "The debate is the immediate problem. I need it to go well because it would otherwise reflect poorly upon me. Maybe this could be enough for a change in location, but I won't hold out hope for that."

The model had been something I had been continuously working on since our arrival. It wasn't done yet either. Accurate measurements were shockingly difficult to achieve consistently. I didn't truly need perfection, but I wanted it because I hoped to one day make a similar model for Denmark. One that showed where the villages were, where new villages should be developed, where fertile ground was marked, and where advantageous battlefields were located. It was very convenient when you could visualize your realm.

On Crete was Norland, and I had sculpted small models that represented important things within the city. Most of the town was located in the space between the hills that we had claimed, though the space on top of the hills and cliffs was finding itself filled as well as time went by. "We have some time to prepare for their arrival," I continued as Ragnar lunged for the building that represented my library before making Astolfo and my library fight by crashing them together. In the meantime, I looked to the location I had already been eyeing.

Two hundred ships was more than just a fleet. Discounting the ships I stole from the Abbasids, I would command three hundred longships. That was… an honestly alarming number. Troublesome too. "We'll have to expand here," I told Ragnar, pointing to the model. It was where I was thinking of opening another dock to help alleviate the pressure on our harbor. The issue was that it was in the opposite direction of our current planned development.

Ragnar didn't seem particularly interested, now chewing on my library as if he were some great monster. All the same, I continued. "It could be a district explicitly for our people. Because for Irene… we have just become a long term problem," I admitted.

It was one thing to leave behind a couple hundred people. Those numbers, I expected, would be assimilated into the general population with little difficulty. Several thousand, however? That was a very different story. The pagans of Crete would be a known quantity, and it would be a black mark against Irene's name because she allowed us to settle here in the first place. Meaning, she would take action. She'd have to.

And it was my duty to safeguard my people, even if they chose to stay behind in a hostile land.

"We expand our current plans," I said, drawing out where the district would be built. "Secondary markets, bathhouses, and so on. More importantly, it will be a walled district. Because, one day, those that we leave behind will be attacked." I said, my voice even as I patted Ragnar on the belly. "It most likely won't be enough, but it will at least give them a chance to fight back. To escape. Wiping them out will be a large undertaking -- the Romans will need to assault the walls and blockade the harbor. And such a thing won't likely be missed."

It was another massive undertaking, I knew. But, when I picked up one of the carved temples I had made in anticipation of building a temple for the gods, I smiled when I placed it in the heart of the district. Where it would be protected and my people could worship freely.

If nothing else, it was a nice idea. It was just a matter of putting it into practice.

As predicted, Irene was less than happy to learn that ten thousand pagans were sailing towards Crete. She hid her reaction well when I informed her through a letter, but I could almost feel the cooling in relations between us based on her frigid response. Without intent, I had burnt through a significant portion of whatever goodwill she had for me. Yet, at the same time, I was too important to recklessly offend, ironically due to her own favor and the courtship of the Abbasids, who smelled the growing rift.

It was still going to be a problem, but it was a problem for another day.

For now, I had more immediate issues. Such as making sure the two hundred ships arrived at Crete with no issue. To that end, I sent Thorkell to Kiev with instructions to start ushering them to Norland. All the while my laborers worked day and night to prepare the town for their arrival. We had a little time, but it was only a week later that the first of the ships started to arrive.

Astrid was visibly excited when she saw her brother's flagship trailing behind Thorkell's. They, in turn, led twenty longships to our port. Morrigan was nowhere to be seen, but two ravens flew through the air and that told me she was watching the arrival closely. Jill stood on the opposite side of Astrid, her hand in mine while Ragnar was in Astrid's arms. We were waiting for them at the end of the dock.

Hoffer proved his worth as a ship captain. He swung the ship wide before turning into a hard pivot. Then, carried by the momentum, his longship carried forward until it lightly bounced into the dock. Hoffer was the first one off the ship, and he seemed as hale as I last saw him, telling me that he personally didn't experience much hardship in the past year.

His face brightened immeasurably when his gaze landed on Astrid and Ragnar. With a wide smile he approached, "I'm an uncle once more! Do I see another Hoffer?" He asked, approaching and bending down so he could get a better look at my son. He held out a finger and Ragnar seemed to take great offense to it because he grabbed it and did his best to rip it off with his meager strength.

"Ragnar," Astrid answered. "Named for Siegfried's eldest brother."

It was then that Hoffer looked at me, inclining his head, "A good name! A strong name for a strong son!" He said, clapping me on the shoulder with a grin. I was relieved that he wasn't going to be insistent on the name. It might be a tradition for every male in Astrid's family to be named Hoffer, but I imagined that would get rather confusing rather quickly.

"My thanks. It's good to see you once more, Hoffer. We grew worried about the delay," I said and, to that, Hoffer grimaced.

"Aye. That's a tale twice over," he admitted. And I imagined it would be given the sheer number of people he was bringing with him.

"Come. I would have you tell it by a hearth with a horn of ale in hand," I offered and he nodded with gratitude. While his ships began the disembarking process, we made our way back to the Longhouse.

Hoffer himself seemed almost alarmed by the changes that had taken root since his departure. "If you and Astrid weren't here to greet me, Wolfkissed, I'd be convinced I had docked on the wrong island. Last time I was here… you've truly turned wood and mud into stone," he praised, looking at everything from the concrete road to the marble buildings."

"We've enjoyed Regent Irene's favor," I admitted as much. Odds were, I wouldn't get to enjoy seeing Norland completed. But I would have the pleasure of developing it all the same.

Hoffer made a noise of acknowledgment as we continued on, his gaze drawn to the Library that peaked in the distance. As well as the Forum that was under rapid construction. The rest of the journey was brief and Hoffer helped himself to a seat and drank deeply from a horn of ale that was pressed into his hand almost as soon as he sat. A long sigh escaped him and I realized I might have been too hasty in my judgment that it hadn't been a difficult journey.

"Before I begin," He said, reaching into a satchel and passing me a bundle of letters written on what felt like boiled parchment. Likely taken from a Bible. "They're from your family. They are all well," he was quick to inform and I felt a knot of tension in my gut that I was only barely aware of release at the reassurance. "Your brothers and sisters have been wed and you're an uncle twice over -- Haldur has a son named Harald while Solveig has a daughter named Erika."

I was an uncle once again. It was a strange thought, though a welcome one. It was more strange to think of my brothers and sisters as parents, but I suppose that same thought would apply to me. We were separated by half a world, it felt like, but I still wished to see them. My new niece and nephew.

Jill reached out and squeezed my hand, "Your clan is recovering." She said and I breathed a little easier. I expected more of a reaction from Hoffer by the action, but he only drank from his horn of ale.

"We are," I agreed quietly. I had lost many family members, and while no number of new sons, daughters, nephews and nieces could never take their place, it was a welcome relief that my family was once more growing instead of shrinking.

"The letters will probably go into more detail, but fortune has smiled on your family even before we arrived home. Haldur has been recognized as a Jarl, while Halfdan has joined the Hird of my father as a Huskarl. Likewise, the husbands of your sisters have both risen to prominence in Norway." That was a fortunate turn of events. To rise up as Jarls in Norway after being chased out of Denmark as Skogarmaors.

Hoffer then looked to Astrid, "The old man has spent the last year conquering the rest of Norway. Might be a few years more before he manages to conquer all of it, but the momentum is on his side." He said and that brought a wide smile to Astrid's lips. Then Hoffer glanced at me, "The alliance you brokered with the Saxon king helped a fair bit. The land of Norway has always been poor for farming, but trade with the Saxons has made the cost of conquering the independent jarls much more affordable."

I inclined my head, accepting the praise. I was more curious about what the letters said as what Hoffer told me wasn't really a surprise. I had expected King Hoffer to continue conquering Norway, and Otto already told me of the alliance with King Widukind.

Haldur was a Jarl. I wasn't surprised, but I also hadn't really anticipated that turn of events. It was good for him. And, perhaps, he would feel like he was stepping out of my shadow. He had a wife now. And a son. I couldn't tell what the future held, only the Norns could boast such a thing, but I imagine Haldur would use his position to inflict what damage he could on Horrik.

I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not however, because it could very well spark a war between Norway and Denmark. A war that would start and finish before I even heard word of it, half a world away as I was.

It shouldn't matter which of my kin fulfilled the blood debt and took vengeance on Horrik. But, I would be a liar if I said that the thought of Haldur doing so while I was in Rome was a welcomed thought. I wanted to be the one that took Horrik's life with my own hands. No matter my doubts about the nature of vengeance, that fact had never changed.

Hoffer finished the horn of ale with a content sigh. "As for our story… it's a bothersome one. The first thing you should know is Horrik has been slandering you to everyone that has an ear to listen -- he's named you a coward, a nithing, a false god, and every other curse you can imagine. According to him, you are the greatest of all villains."

I grunted, accepting the news for what it was. "Given how many people have come with you, I take it that the tales didn't take root."

Hoffer grunted in agreement, "Less so than Horrik would want, but more so than you would like. By the time we arrived, Denmark was halfway embroiled in a civil war. Not quite one outright, but for every story Horrik said of you, there was another from Norway or Saxony describing your deeds. As far as Denmark is concerned, you're either the child of Thor or you're the blackest hearted villain. There wasn't much in-between."

I was starting to see where this was going and Hoffer all but confirmed it. "Things came to a head when we arrived. I returned home to commission the ships you requested and spread word of your deeds. Gerald went to Denmark to do the same, so I can't say for certain what exactly happened there, but…" Hoffer trailed off as he scratched his cheek.

"The Franks have been sending missionaries to speak of their dead god to Denmark for the past year," he admitted, and I went still. "They're a general annoyance who usually get themselves killed by disrespecting the gods, but a few managed to preach a bit. Spread the word of Jesus, God, and so on. The important bit here… is… well… the Christian promised land."

I felt a headache coming.

"Wait. No. Don't tell me that…" Astrid guffawed, perfectly happy to laugh at my misfortune and the implications.

"People started getting the stories mixed up a bit, I think. And I don't think Gerald helped things by proclaiming you to be a god," Hoffer continued and I buried my face in my hands. "It all kinda mixed together a bit until the story became… well… you being a god, or a son of a god, offering salvation and guidance to a promised land. Here, in Crete."

Hence the migration. I would need to interrogate Gerald when he arrived, but I could more or less guess the sequence of events. The Christian missionaries spread word of a promised land, which primed the people to be receptive to Gerald when he arrived with treasures and tales of a far off land.

"That's when things started to get messy," Hoffer began and I looked up from my hands.

"Started to?" I echoed, the headache hitting me full force.

Hoffer winced, somewhat apologetic. "Aye, started to," he confirmed. "King Horrik, naturally, wasn't too keen on the story being told. He sent out hunting parties to silence Gerald and started to clamp down fiercely on any word of you. And the harder he clamped down, the more people resisted. Gerald himself found favor with a handful of Jarls, some of which sailed down with us, who protected him from the hunts."

He paused, "It took time to build the ships, even with a dedicated force constructing them. Enough time for stories to twist in on themselves. With Gerald going village to village spreading tales of your deeds, and Horrik's increasingly extreme measures to snuff out every word… it all came to a head roughly when the first ships were done. Because Horrik assumed that the ships were going to be used on him."

He was right, in a roundabout way. Those ships would eventually arrive on Denmark's shores, but only years from now. The reaction was understandable, even if I was reluctant to admit as such.

"Horrik's reign is too new for the kind of measures that he took. He might be king, but half the Jarls that served under Godfrey resent him for one reason or another. It came to a breaking point, of sorts. Gerald was recruiting for your army, but Horrik just saw it as an army that was going to be used on him. With the crackdown, the missionaries, and the ships…" He trailed off like he wasn't sure how to explain it and that deeply worried me.

"Horrik summoned his own army to crush Gerald and the recruits. They attacked a Jarl, and there was a slaughter there," he continued, taking a sip from the horn when a servant offered to fill it. "He claimed that he was putting down a rebellion, and… well, he was half right if we're being honest. But the other Jarls saw it as an attack on them. That started something of an actual rebellion, but Horrik is cunning. One of the Jarls was a turncloak so when it came to an actual battle…"

What in the name of the gods had I set in motion? I was truly starting to wonder as I heard the tale. My gambit to bleed Horrik of his strength had worked beyond my expectations, but this sounded like a real mess.

Hoffer huffed, "There was another slaughter. Wasn't there for it myself, but I heard about it and it sounded like a real bloodletting. I only saw the aftermath of it, truth be told. Which was when I was on my way to meet up with Gerald and the recruits he had gathered in Saxony, only to find a few Jarls and their households in exile."

At that, Jill stilled, "Then the army that is coming…"

"Is no true army, I'm afraid," Hoffer admitted with some reluctance. "I'd call it a thousand fighting men. Perhaps a thousand and five hundred, if we're being generous. Most of the herd are young boys hoping for glory, disgraced nobility, and true believers who think this is a promised land."

A thousand men? That was too few. That was far too few. When I had learned how many people were coming, I let my hopes rise -- perhaps there were five thousand warriors. Perhaps six thousand. Maybe all ten thousand of the people coming were warriors ready to swear to my banner. But a thousand was… less than even my initial hopes.

I would have to compensate, I realized. The boys could be taught, but that would take time. My other alternative was to recruit from Rome and the Abbasids. Risky. And there was the issue that I would be leaving the Mediterranean eventually, and it would be a tall ask for them to leave their temperate home to join me up north.

Not to mention the issue of these people believing that Norland was a promised land of some sort. I imagine they'd be less than pleased to learn that I would be returning to Denmark in a few years.

"That's what took you so long?" Astrid questioned, playing with Ragnar while Hoffer nodded.

"Aye. Supplies were a real issue, so we had to hunt and raid to make up for what we lacked," Hoffer explained. So they would be hungry. "We ended up overrunning Kiev when they barred us entry since they knew we were coming. I saw that coming beforehand, so I had an advance guard make their way into the city and when we did arrive, they managed to get the gates open for us."

My headache got worse. "You took Kiev?" I asked for clarification and I got a small nod in response. Hoffer was expecting praise for that. And it was a bit of clever thinking that solved his problem. The issue was that it gave me another one on an already overfilled plate.

"We did. No choice about it, really. They would have sent us on our way if we hadn't," Hoffer started to defend himself but I waved away his concerns.

"No, you did well," I reassured him, mulling over the revelation. For better or worse, my people had occupied Kiev. An isolated town that the artery to my people flowed through. The issue was that I very much doubted that the city's owner would be content to leave it in our hands. Worse, when they did take it back, I doubted they would be so willing to let us sail by when it was time to return home.

The Khazars could be bribed to allow us passage, but I was reluctant to pay such a price. Especially for what they would ask for since Kiev would have been essentially sacked. That wasn't something that could be waived off with an apology.

A plan started to form in the back of my mind to deal with the issue, but I would need more information first. "I would need to speak with Gerald. I may have a task for him," I started, only to see Hoffer winced. I paused, narrowing my eyes, "... Dare I ask where he is?"

Hoffer didn't want to answer and I almost suspected that he was dead. And that I didn't want the answer to that question. But, all the same, Hoffer confessed the truth.

"He's still in Denmark, lord Wolf-Kissed. He's fighting against King Horrik," Hoffer answered and I frowned, something not adding up.

"With who?" If the recruits were barely a thousand men strong, then who was Gerald fighting with?

"Christians. Of a sort, I suppose," Hoffer amended and my confusion only grew.

"Do I even want to know?" I genuinely asked, because I truly wasn't sure I did. Gerald was a zealot who named me one of his gods. Him managing to find common cause with Christians beggared belief-

…No.

Hoffer seemed like he was considering shaking his head. But he thought better of it and in a rush, he explained. "Like I said, with the missionaries… things got mixed up a bit. Or a lot."

No.

"As far as the Christians are aware, they're fighting in the name of God. Who you happen to be… either a prophet for or the son of, depending on who you ask."

Ah.

I see.

I was right.

I didn't want to know.

I would love to see the internal headaches that would come if he got a quest to Convert Religions or Not.
How much would that damage his world view…

Just caught up, it's an excellent story so far, and I really like the reasons for the perks chosen.

Hadi is my favorite character, never apologize for writing him. Him being just some guy who gets in over his head and somehow manages to come out looking better, much to his despair, is one of the funniest things I've read in a while.

Back