Legend of the Five Rings: Beta Test Group

I am yet to give availability time because I don't know how my schedule will look like starting next week (new studies, etc), but please don't count me out yet :V

Yes here I'm in I'm ready to do this please aaaaaaaah

I'm good for any day, at any time, other than Saturday.

My character, mechanically, is done - Akodo Genji, an Akodo Commander.

Last edited:
I'm free Monday, Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday morning, and Friday morning, barring clashes with other games.

I want to join in, probably as a mute Bushi of some sort.

Expression of interest. Anything except a courtier. Righteous Magistrate of some kindMok martial artist, Yojimbo....,

Just to reiterate, I'm free more of the week than I'm not. It's difficult to give specific times that would suit me as a result since it encompasses so much of the week.

What doesn't work for me (which is probably easier to specify) is Friday and Saturday afternoon/evening (@Maugan Ra's time). Wednesday morning would also not be great.

Edit: Also, to update the classes I'm interested in, I'll say I'm willing to play as a Crane, Dragon or Scorpion Courtier, Phoenix Shugenja, or a Bushi from the Crane, Phoenix or Unicorn. I'm not that particular as you can see, and that should be broad enough to try and make sure I don't steal a class someone else was set on playing. Assuming at least, we're avoiding overlap.

Last edited:
I think I am going to be free in Euoprean evenings on Wedensdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays.

Alright, so I figure I might as well bite the bullet here and pick a group and time. Since I can't take everyone I'm going to go with the people who I know have interesting character concepts and who I've either played with before or who have been vouched for by said players.

Time Slot: Monday afternoons GMT, precise timeslot to be confirmed once I get more precise availability from my American players (don't want to get you up too early)

Game Concept: You are a band of recently appointed Emerald Magistrates, plucked from across the Empire and bound together in a shared duty by the will of your superiors and the Emerald Champion. We'll start with a relatively straightforwards investigation to get everyone used to the system and branch out from there. Emerald Magistrates, for reference, are some unholy combination of federal law enforcement and tax collection. I'll post a full break-down of what they can and cannot do later on.

Players:
@Winged Knight
@Havocfett
@shinaobi
@Cornuthaum
@Fernandel
@horngeek (Provisional - I know timezones mean there's a sharp limit on how late I can run this and have you available, so hopefully we can work that out)
@LastChronicler (Again, provisional due to timezones, but hopefully!)

6-7 players should hopefully be manageable. You're all on Discord anyway which is handy, so I'll see about creating a server at some point. For now, make use of the beta playtest document to produce a character sheet, and you have... I'm going to say 30 experience points to use fleshing out your character. Let me know if you run into any problems.

Keep us updated if you find any hitches in the rules or similar. Those of us who follow the L5R new edition but do not have the immediate possibility to play it are (probably speaking for everyone else) rather interested how it works out.
(Character creation seems rather interesting as i am reading through it)

Beta rules seem very similar to age of rebellion or edge of empire. Unsurprising considering who released it, but the comparison is apt.

Reading through and they are using custom d6 and d12.... I liked the d10 exploding on 10s system, at least they still have the roll and keep system it seems.

Edit Just finished reading it and on further thought it seems a nice rebalance, removes a lot of the crazy high rolls and checks and numbers that you can stack. Still a bit shaky on the passions and anxiety, I would need to see that in action first.

They have done away with some of the complexity of previous editions but it looks like it runs smoother. I actually want to try an Iuchi Shugenja under this system, Invocations are straightforward and easy to understand.

Last edited:
While I am obviously disappointed to not have been included. I wish the new team best of luck. Keep the rest of us update okay?

Back