Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Jeremy is used to his dull and ordinary life, and may not find joy in it, but has come to terms with that. However, everything changes when he picks up a lost bracelet in the woods. He gets instantly thrust into a clash of good and evil, fighting foes from a far off planet with the universe at stake.

After Jeremy joins the fight, he and his peppy teammate Charity have to puzzle through many riddles: Who are these enemies, and why do they seek to destroy the universe? Can the two of them become friends while Charity has a rather awkward crush? And most puzzling of all: Why does Jeremy turn into a girl when he transforms?
Last edited:
Episode 1: But I’m a Boy!? A New Hero Suddenly Appears!
Pronouns
She/Her
So, hi! Had to retire my last story because of planning problems and it just clearly not going to fit together like I wanted it to, I'll probably do a reboot sometime around this Halloween. However, this one came to me in a burst of inspiration a few months ago, and I've been polishing it conceptually and especially writing-wise for a while now to try and pin things down. And now I'll release it!

This owes some inspiration to @Shadell's USER CHOICE WINNING story A Little Vice, which please go check out if you haven't! But is a bit more... traditional in structure and perspective, I'd say. I don't want to say when the next chapter will come- this one I hoped to release a few weeks back but wil lideally have a draft done by the end of the month.

I would also like to also thank @Kei, @Shadell, and @NemoMarx for helping give this so muh more polish.

Episode 1: But I'm a Boy!? A New Hero Suddenly Appears!

One thing that everyone must learn eventually is that life is very transient, that can take but one second to be snuffed out. Take the planet of Valia, a planet perfectly capable of life. Given its many ideal conditions, one would think it should be prosperous, in fact. Yet, if one were to look at it today, where a booming civilization once stood, all that remains are scattered ruins, scattered unlucky corpses (the lucky ones were vaporized), and the faded embers of a prosperous egalitarian society. It had only taken a microsecond for millions of lives to be snuffed out.

It wasn't quite lifeless, however. You just needed to know where to look.

At that moment the lone survivor, The Woman Who Had No Name—for she did not know what she would call herself—sat on her throne and surveyed her Palace.

An outsider would think that the Palace could look better, she supposed, even if it was truly perfect the way it was.

Many would feel that the front entrance simply being a gaping hole caused it to lack a certain gravitas. They would say that the giant murals scattered throughout the building's remnants would look better if the carefully drawn and painted portraits of the Saints and Heroes of Old hadn't been caked in dried crimson, though it is what they deserve, in The Woman's eyes.

And the large holes in the walls and ceiling, why, people would complain, they made her stronghold look more like some ramshackle shack than a testament to her authority and power at all.

People might miss the point of her throne as well, she mused. It was certainly not grand, no; closer to a slab of rock than anything. It had been that once, incredibly gaudily so, but what remained was a jagged gray block of Byronrite that felt cold and uncomfortable as the material pressed against her body. She didn't even have anything to rest her back against, forcing her to bear the chill against her skin, due to her desire to keep her back rimrod straight. The Nameless Woman was the ruler now over what remained, after all, and thus slouching would be incredibly gauche.

She could fix her palace's state. Reading the array of tomes in the Grand Library—one of the few buildings still standing—had graced her with plenty of knowledge when it came to rudimentary repair spells. But to her, it was her home, it was where she belonged. This was what she deserved, she made that decision that long ago. She was the one who caused all this devastation, after all. And she must never forget what had happened that brought her here to this moment. Remembering bolstered her resolve.

And so, she still sat upon it, even if the chill made her legs squirm slightly. She had to; she was the Queen, if only by default. And it was a Queen's duty to sit on a throne when addressing her subjects.

She raised both black-gloved hands and snapped her fingers, and the forms of two women immediately burst into sight, as if they had been there all along. One was clad in a dress of shining, bright bronze with an emblem of a planetoid much like Earth's sun, only with a slight blue sheen, on her cloak. The second wore a slightly duller looking iron with an emblem of a large crimson sphere, radiating a soft red light. The emblems depicted Centurius and Selius, the Queen's own sun and moon respectively.

The Woman With No Name cleared her throat as she addressed the two before her. "You two have done well so far, one setback aside." the Woman praised, but her voice has an undercurrent of menace to it: She had made what would happen if this "success" were to trend further downward quite clear.

She mindlessly waved a hand through her crimson hair, ruffling it a bit. Regardless, she must admit the two had done well so far. They had collected one of the three Power Gems that had been… waylaid - the items that would provide the magical energy required for her plan to be carried out. While it was true one of them was now… potentially out of reach…even one more would be sufficient for what she needed. She could compromise.

She turned to the one clad in gold; she hated the idea of her having favorites between her children, she truly did, but if she were to, hypothetically, Rubeda would certainly be hers'.

"Complete our mission. Find the third Power Gem," she told Rubeda. "I will observe. I expect prompt results." The pale girl looked into her ruler's crimson eyes for a moment, as though searching for some confirmation of her task within them, before giving a slight bob of the head and vanishing. "You may depart," she tried to direct at her other General, but she was already merely talking to the air. She smiled, one of parental pride. She'd taught them well.

She stood up to return to her chambers. Soon, the end of all would finally come. She heard the pleas in the dark recesses of her mind, telling her to turn back, but she had been forced onto this path long ago. Her journey was paved in too much blood and devastation, there was no chance of repentance now. The only option now was sojourning forth, and plunging the rest of the universe into beautiful, blissful darkness.

Charity rubbed her eyes sleepily as she walked to AP Chemistry: Her least favorite class, to tell the truth. It was partially because chemistry was boring as hell, and partially because getting there was also a bit of a trek; she had to go from the furthest classroom from the stairs on Butler High School's second floor to the classroom closest to the much-too-big front door. Sure, her recent activities had helped her athleticism a bit, but it was still a tiring sojourn, especially given that she was already exhausted. That she had to constantly try and maneuver her way through crowds of students heading in the opposite direction absolutely did not help in the slightest. And that was far from the only thing making her grumpy.

Come on, really?! I have to write an essay on Chamberlain's 'policy of appeasement' due by Monday? I don't even know who that is!

Charity thanked whatever god existed for telepathy, because at least it meant she could whine about her bad fortune without making a scene.

Don't worry, I was listening. The details are pretty straightforward, I'll fill you in.

Charity let out a sigh of relief. Thank goodness someone was able to stay awake during school hours.

Thanks, Benz. I'll try and-

Then a… situation emerged. Charity would be the first to admit that multi-tasking wasn't really her forte, but evidently she also hadn't perfected both talking and having a mental conversation simultaneously.

Tragically, she only realized the second fact the moment she felt herself collide with something in front of her; letting out a soft, almost inaudible gasp as she stumbled backward, almost bumping into a student in the crowd that had been rapidly approaching from behind.

The boy she crashed into was far less lucky, having lost all his balance and immediately falling backwards and slamming hard into the ground. He didn't even use his arms to protect himself, so his head smashed with a soft thud onto the linoleum flooring, causing him to groan in pain. Charity winced in sympathy. The crowd of students, who should have helped, damnit, merely flowed around his fallen body like if a rock was tossed into a body of water, carrying on as though nothing had happened. So now she'd probably gotten somebody hurt, after getting yelled at by her teacher for dozing off despite Benz even warning her and everything. This just wasn't her day, was it?

As she helped the boy to his feet, she realized that he looked vaguely familiar, and gave him a quick appraisal. He was pale-skinned in that way that indicated he didn't get outside much, and was a bit shorter than her nearly six feet, with a messy mop of black hair that reached to the nape of his neck, with carefully trimmed bangs. His eyes were a dull amethyst blue, currently staring at nothing in particular.

Yeah… she definitely knew him from somewhere… but she just couldn't place it. Eh, it wasn't important! Top priority was apologizing.

After she helped to get him standing again, she quickly clasped her hands together in repentance and looked at him with the best puppy dog eyes she could muster. "I'm sooo sorry! I was… um, lost in thought." That was technically true, after all!

The boy just kind of lightly shrugged dismissively. "It's fine," He said, his voice a dull mumble that she could barely hear over the background chatter as students around them mindlessly bantered. The incident was already completely forgotten, she noted bitterly. She had a determined glint in her eye as she shepherded him through the herd of students and toward the group of silver lockers on the hallway's left side; this was both to prevent any further accidents as they talked, and make it easier to hear each other above the surrounding din.

"No, no, it's totally my bad! If there is anything I can do to fix this…'' Charity's voice was nearly pleading now.

The boy firmly shook his head— the first time this conversation his actions seemed to have particular conviction or investment. "Seriously, don't worry about it. Like I said, it's fine."

He then gave her a half-hearted shrug, and walked past her, re-entering the throng of students heading toward the stairs.

From the defeated tone of his voice and his dull stare, Charity wasn't the only one that wasn't having a great day. But she was hardly in a position to ask him about his troubles— heck, she didn't even know his name! He was probably in one of the AP classes that dominated Charity's school schedule, she decided. His vacant gaze reminded Charity of how she looked, back when she'd used to hit the books just a bit too hard.

Regardless, she'd figure out who he was and make it up to him later. She had frightening battles of her own to contend with at the moment. She arrived at Professor Brunswick's classroom, took a deep breath, and tried to force herself as awake as possible. Getting caught napping two classes in a row would be completely unacceptable. She also mentally noted that she'd have to rest after school. She had to be in tip-top shape, after all.

With this resolution in mind, and after a bit of telepathic cheerleading on Benz's end, she entered the classroom, eyes glittering with determination.

Jeremy headed toward his Algebra class, carefully maneuvering his way through his classmates. He could internally hear what the students were whispering about, the scandalous gossip echoing through his head, joining the usual cacophony of bitter self-recrimination..

Did you see the way that boy ran into that poor girl? He really should have been watching where he was going.

Yes, that had to be what they were talking about. And they were completely right— he should have. He had no idea why the girl felt the need to be the one that apologized; she'd clearly had important things on her mind. He, meanwhile, had been mindlessly daydreaming, and now he'd made her waste her time worrying about him, of all people.

As both he and the rest of the mob of students neared the stairs, he saw one blonde girl whisper to a black-haired boy next to her, and winced. He then chastised himself for being so self-centered that he assumed the world had to revolve around him and his screw-ups. Not that that meant he'd stop doing it, of course. He knew that was impossible for someone so self-centered.

He took a deep breath and tried to force his brain to focus on something, anything else, but this was eternally unsuccessful. The voice, which spoke not in his own whiny cadence but in a booming, maddeningly deep tone that only existed in his own head, threw vitriol at him endlessly, a deluge that made thinking coherently nearly impossible.

No matter how hard he tried, like clockwork, all his thoughts inevitably and eternally circled back to negative self-talk. The experience was the equivalent of having a song he hated on loop echoing in his brain all twenty-four hours of the day played at full blast. It simply drowned out everything else. But wasn't it what a failure like him deserved, really? It wasn't wrong, after all.

He noticed that while he was thinking these things, his ever-reliable muscle memory had allowed his body to get him to his next class. He closed his eyes for just a moment, let out an inaudible sigh, and headed to class. Things were the same as they ever were and ever would be.

Charity remembered when school ending for the day had been a disappointment, and felt slightly guilty at the burst of excitement thrumming through her upon hearing the bell. This was partially, of course, because chemistry fucking sucked. But it was because there were more important things on her schedule, as little as Past Charity would have been aghast at the mere possibility.

Of course, the most important thing on her to-do list had actually been to take a quick power nap. After her rest was done, it was time for Benz to elaborate on any game plan they had for the day, and then they'd begin the search.

Benz had voiced bewilderment that she couldn't just jump into action immediately. She had tried to explain to them many times that sometimes growing girls needed their beauty sleep, but they just seemed completely flabbergasted at the idea that human beings couldn't operate on 3-4 hours every day. Her head was still resting on her large white pillow as she stretched a bit, her body brushing against the pink covers, as she hit upon a realization "You know Benz, you're lucky that alien biology is not something I'm super interested in." she told the small black kitten in front of her.

First of all, it's Benzii . Secondly, I must question once again why I can not simply speak with you normally? There isn't even anyone else in the dwelling!

They lightly thrust a paw forward in a way she suspected was meant to seem intimidating. Sadly, she knew that if she actually let them know how adorable it was, they'd stop doing it. And as always, she diligently ignored their observation. Benz was far easier to remember!

Charity let out a soft sigh. "Listen, I've tried to explain this before. Us humans have an unspoken rule: a girl talking to her new cat is seen as endearing and cute. The cat talking back is a sign that the person hearing it is having a psychotic break." She tapped her right temple for emphasis. "So I want to make sure we don't get into that habit."

Human perceptions never cease to bewilder me, but alright. Setting that aside, why should I be grateful for your lack of curiosity into my mental and physical capabilities?

"I have a feeling a lot of people would be interested in what exactly makes you tick, is all." She could imagine someone trotting a telepathic cat-creature out as a science exhibit, declaring Benz the most important scientific discovery of the millenia. She strongly suspected they would not like being turned into a scientific curiosity at best, a scientific experiment at worst.

She could see Benz process the implications, and a second later their fur outright bristled, which made her smile a little, though she tried her best to hide it. Benz could never know how cute so much of what Cat-Them did was, it was too risky!

They made as close to a clearing-of-the-throat sound as a cat could make (it sounded like they were coughing up a particularly large hairball, to be honest) which indicated to Charity that it was time to get down to business.

Charity really hadn't expected anything like this when she'd woken up on what seemed to be a perfectly average Thursday a couple weeks ago.

All she'd done was find a cute pink necklace lying on the ground while taking the scenic route back to her house, and picked it up, intending to take it to the police station, so that it could be returned to its rightful owner.

And then suddenly, she was blinded in a burst of white light, and when she could see again, she had transformed into a magical girl! She had a cute dress, a new look, enhanced physical abilities (she felt bad for the tree she'd ended up testing that on), the whole package! She obviously completely freaked out. It didn't help when a talking cat, of all things, appeared out of nowhere to helpfully inform her that the universe was in danger, and it was her duty, as a "Galactic Soldier", she still wasn't clear on what exactly that was, to protect it!

She honestly would have likely assumed that it was a dream, or that she had completely lost it due to her massive workload, if she hadn't had to fight for her life against a girl in red mere minutes later. Typically hallucinations and dreams didn't leave your arm bleeding from a lengthy horizontal cut afterwards given from an agonizingly painful slice of a knife, after all.

In Charity's opinion, one of humanity's biggest strengths is the capacity to adapt to insane circumstances, and she'd done so quite admirably. It helped that Benz had fascinating things to say about their home world- she'd stayed up entire nights listening to their stories of their civilization, and other civilizations the alien had explored as a "Planet Investigation Operative." According to them, the job was basically the alien equivalent of an archeologist.

But enough daydreaming! If Benz wanted to get to business, business it was. "So, what's our plan of attack for today?" She asked, stretching again as she attempted to whisk away her remaining grogginess, as she slowly got off her bed and transitioned to a standing position on its right side.

Benz paused for a moment in thought, their right paw running across the fur on their face, something that they did often enough that it was clearly reflexive.

I think we should explore the woods again today; if the stones were scattered somewhere, it is likely at this point they are somewhere they wouldn't be easily found, or I'd have sensed their energy at this point The foliage could still be concealing it, or it could have simply had yet to materialize. So it's worth examining the area more thoroughly.

Charity nodded. The plan made enough sense to her. Since her mother was still at work, she had nobody to say goodbye to. So she headed out, locking the door behind her. It was showtime.

Charity—no she was Galactic Soldier Citrinia now, she needed to remember that—was her default state these days: completely exhausted. They'd been trekking through the forest next to Hexitrude City for around two hours, and had come up with nothing. It didn't help that Benz was not exactly being cooperative on how exactly they would achieve this mission objective.

"So how will we know that we found the… what are they called again?" Citrinia quietly pushed her silver skirt down yet again; it felt a little short on her. Not short enough to be remotely revealing, luckily, but she had always been more of a jeans kind of girl, and she could feel the soft autumn breeze on her legs far too acutely for her liking.

"It's called a Power Gem." Irritation radiated out of Benz's voice, which she had to admit made sense. They had explained the whole thing to her a couple times, but everything about this still seemed so surreal that major aspects weren't quite sinking in.

"And we'll find it… how?"

"By looking." Okay, now they were just angry. "As I've told you many times, it will disguise itself as an item you could find on Earth—yours looked like a misplaced fashion item as you recall." Citrinia had tried to explain the concept of jewelry to Benz a few times, but it hadn't quite stuck yet.

"Okay, so how will we know when it's this Power Gem thing, and not some junk somebody left on the ground?"

"I'll sense the energy radiation," Benz said as though it were the most obvious fact in the world. Their paws were softly patting the grass, their head turning this way and that. They were scrutinizing every bush they saw. "When we find the gem, we—or I to be more specific—should sense an immense magical energy radiating from it. That's how we'll know it's what we're seeking."

Citrinia nodded. That at least made sense; magic stuff tended to emit magic vibes, right? That was how it worked in books and anime. However, that meant….

"So we just kind of look aimlessly until we find something that just has banger vibes?" Her voice was dry. She half-heartedly looked in a nearby waste bin for anything suggestive, but found nothing; It wouldn't disguise itself as a used burger wrapper, right? Surely not.

It seemed to take Benz a second to process her snark, then they let out a soft sigh that Citrinia desperately tried to not find adorable, and failed miserably. "Essentially, yes, unfortunately."

Citrinia let out her own sigh, one that to her ears came off as far too exasperated to be cute on her end. Nothing for it, she supposed. Time to continue the search.

Rubeda soared through the clear blue sky, her eyes closed as she focused. Not only were the aesthetics of a doomed planet irrelevant to her, this was a perfect time to focus. She feared very little while flying after all; she was at an altitude high enough to be invisible to the humans' poor vision, and she would be able to sense anything that posed a threat to her coming well ahead of time.

And if anything else got in her way? Well, that was just bad luck for them .

She let out a barely audible "tsk"- still nothing. So she opened her eyes and did some direct, physical scouting. She appeared to be above a covering of trees when something finally poked at her awareness: it took the form of a soft pull in the corner of her mind, like her thoughts were being lightly tugged at by a particularly firm rope. She could perceive a broad sense of the tug's cause- an ancient magic was whispering in her mind, using a language completely indecipherable to her. She was slightly disappointed in her inadequacy; Milady would have understood what it was saying. Her Queen was a genius, after all.

But regardless, its words were alluring, and the euphoric sensation Rubeda felt that accompanied the tug could only mean one thing: that the Power Gem was nearby. Sadly, she couldn't pinpoint where it was precisely, but heading toward the mental pull's place of origin was the obvious starting point. She began rapidly descending, using the sensation to direct herself. When it got weaker, she immediately reversed course. When it got stronger, she simply accelerated forward.

After roughly ten human seconds by her estimation, she was floating directly above the forest and gazed downward. The magical tug appeared to be coming from the north now; it was close to where the green foliage met what appeared to be some kind of dirt-coated pathway humans used to traverse the landscape. There was nobody traversing the path at the moment. So potentially no bodies to have to cover up.

Suddenly, she felt something call to her from a previously silent corner of her psyche. Only this magical pull had a different voice and cadence; it was akin to a chorus of angels singing in an arcane heavenly tongue. It was slightly more understandable to Rubeda; she could clearly make out a fervent declaration that the forces of good would strike her down——that regardless of her efforts, justice would prevail in the end.

Rubeda smirked. She felt as if she had been about to dig into a main course, only to have a tasty dessert just fell right into her lap. She'd felt this pull before, and it could only mean one thing—the Galactic Soldier was nearby. And not expecting her. Mistress would surely appreciate it if she brought both gems back, with the head of the only defender this pathetic planet had as a treat. Killing her would be easy; she simply would not underestimate her this time.

She rapidly changed course, and sped toward the origin of this even more alluring mental pull as rapidly as possible

Jeremy exited the school grounds, his steps lethargic. Class had been fine. He'd get the grades his parents expected of him, and that was all that mattered. They had been disappointed that he wasn't in an AP Math class, but calculating numbers had never quite been his forte: algebraic equations just read like a foreign language to him. However, he always strived to meet their expectations, and was generally acceptable at it. One of the few things he wasn't awful at- being just adequate enough.

The trek home was extremely long and somewhat arduous, and he had to do it by foot. Both his parents had jobs—his mother was a university professor, and his dad was a nurse—and neither had the time to pick him up after school. To top it off, there were no convenient bus routes. The city had very much been built with vehicular travel in mind, so buses were few and far between, and the school bus didn't come close to stopping near his place anyway. So might as well go by foot. Exercise was supposed to help mental well-being, right? Always worth another shot.

He walked slowly on the worn down and cracked concrete paths that passed for sidewalks in Hexitrude, passively watching cars of various models zoom by in a rainbow of blurs.

He quietly hoped nobody got into an accident; people in this city had far too frequently of a tendency to catch spontaneous road rage for his liking. He decided to take a small sip from the water bottle in his backpack. His parents insisted he bring one along, but he always told them he'd be fine. He honestly didn't need much to keep on keeping on, after all. But his parents had demanded that he make sure he remained hydrated, and he'd never contradict them.

Eventually cars became more and more infrequent, and he exited the city's urban core, entering the rural outskirts. Replacing the concrete jungle of buildings was dense foliage and grass, always kept as green and well-watered as possible. The city was a fan of keeping up appearances.

After a bit more walking, he reached the small forest right outside the city limits. He had found a useful shortcut that cut his trek from three miles each way to roughly two. He followed the well-tread dirt path to the forest's entrance, and once he was inside the forest proper, he took a second to reluctantly take in the redwoods that towered over him: looming behemoths that were products of dozens of years of growth and maturation.

The image of these colossal plants always brought a scowl to his lips. It made him think of his classmates, how much they had changed over the years; how they'd grown and matured and blossomed as people. He then glanced backwards, and noticed a leaf he had stomped on a few moments ago. He looked down forlornly at the useless green detritus that was its crushed remnants. And there he was. a perfect bit of symbolic imagery.

He walked for a few more minutes, then he reached a fork in the pathway and headed toward the right. However, something brightly gleamed in his peripheral vision, causing him to slam his eye shut for a moment in surprise.. On a whim, he turned to appraise it more clearly: It was a sharp bright pink that complimented the emerald green highlights nicely, with a little gold gemstone in the shape of a heart in its center that sparkled radiantly as it caught a glimmer of the setting sun's light. It was a bracelet it looked like, laying on the ground to the right of a bush dying a slow, quiet death.

It looked cute, not that he'd be caught dead saying that out loud. The design looked like it would be fashionable, and the gemstone's sparkle was very pleasing to the eye.

It couldn't be his, of course; he'd be a laughingstock. He could just imagine the jeers in his head, the cries of "sissy" and "girly boy" that made him mentally recoil and wince. He was awful at making friends in the first place. No, he could never be brave enough to own anything like that.

Why did he want it, anyway? Why would he want something so gaudy and girly? Clearly the heat was getting to his head.

But despite his assertion, the siren's call of the gemstone still captivated him, whispering some kind of promise in his mind that was utterly incomprehensible. He could hear a brighter voice, in both pitch and tone, in the back of his head than the one that always abused him. It was one he didn't recognize, but it just… felt trustworthy to him for a reason he couldn't pin down. It was firmly demanding he take the bracelet. And, well… It was true that nobody else seemed interested in picking it up, and it wouldn't be doing any good if nobody got to wear it, right? It could be a good gift for his sister, even.

He picked it up and softly caressed his fingers against its plastic surface, twirling his ring finger around the heart at the center. Yes, that was true, it would definitely make a good gift.

And, said that same bright voice in the back of his mind. It seemed determined to not be buried under the relentless background ruminations. In fact, it appeared to becoming louder- to almost have a booming quality. The next few words came out slowly, as if they were of massive import: if he gave it to her, maybe he could—

Before he could finish the thought, however, he felt an electric current surge through his body. He bolted backwards for a second, shocked in both senses of the word. But his hand clung to the bracelet, his fingers clutched around it like a drowning man held onto a life preserver. Jeremy didn't know why, but knew it was vital to never, ever, let go. He felt a sudden burst of some emotion he didn't recognize, a feeling radiating through his body that he couldn't quite place.

And then, he felt a bright, blinding light around him that forced him to slam his eyes shut. The intense shocking sensation faded by one more akin to soaking in a nice warm bubble bath. It made his skin tingle in a way that relaxed the tension in all his muscles and was accompanied by a sudden rush of endorphins; his lips curled into a soft, slight smile, the movement surprisingly fluid and natural.

As he basked in this glorious sensation, it was only the furthest reaches of his mind that felt him begin to fully change.

Charity—Citrinia, she corrected herself once again—was getting more and more frustrated. From the position of the setting sun it was clear that they'd been looking for hours at this point, and there was simply no sign of this Power Gem thing, whatever it was even supposed to look like.

She stomped her right foot on the grass in frustration. Just as she was about to complain, her brain let out an internal klaxon in alarm and she instinctively leaped backward toward a grove of trees, narrowly avoiding her assailant's forward slice with their sword.

That assailant was an inhumanly pale, short albino girl that looked roughly her age, though most of her body was concealed by her gold cloak. Citrinia recognized her, of course. But what really drew Citrinia's attention at that moment was the sword in the girl's hands, made of bright bronze flames that licked hungrily in her direction. She really didn't want to know what would happen if she was stabbed with that.

"Sunny, wait—" But before she could continue, the other girl was charging at her for a second time. She instinctively side-stepped to the right, managing to barely dodge the other girl's forward stab, and then a second later jumped backwards as her enemy tried to swing the sword counterclockwise in a slashing motion. She took a breath, feeling her heart pound rapidly in her chest as she scrutinized her opponent, her eyes rapidly scouting, trying to predict her next move.

She wasn't feeling optimistic about her chances in this fight—that had been a very narrow miss, to the point that she had felt the heat radiating from the blade prickling against her skin. And she would need to close the gap to get a hit in without getting stabbed in the stomach.

"Impressive," Sunny—she refused to tell Citrinia her name, and she had to call the other girl something—complimented, though her voice retained its typical emotionless, dry cadence. "You're learning fast."

"Listen, can we just talk for—" Citrinia's plea was interrupted. The other girl had taken the mere second to charge forward and immediately close the gap; milliseconds later elbowing her in the stomach with her right arm with a good deal of force.

Her brown eyes widening in shock, Citrinia stumbled towards the trees behind her. While she was on the backfoot, Sunny quickly shifted the blade to her left hand, moved forward, and forcefully shoved her using her right. She flew backwards and hit the ground hard, her head falling back and colliding against a tree trunk with a loud thud. She was only dazed from the blow for a moment, but that proved all the time the other girl needed.

When Citrinia regained her senses, she saw that Sunny was standing right on top of her, her legs pressing hard against her torso and the sword's blade at the tip of her neck. Citrinia tried to get back up, but Sunny used her leverage to force her back into place almost effortlessly.

Citrinia grimly noticed that the girl was showing the first expression that she had ever seen on Sunny's face—a vicious and triumphant grin, full of pure bloodlust. She doubted her enemy was open to negotiate here.

"Hm, perhaps I should take that comment back," she said, her cool, still neutral tone a sharp contrast to her manic smile. "Talking in the midst of battle is a fool's mistake. And you shall pay for it with your life. Goodbye."

Just as despair started to worm its way into her brain,she saw Benz' the cat leaping out of a bush and soaring toward her attacker out of the corner of her eye. This was it. If they could just distract Sunny for even a second, scratch her and claw at her or something, then perhaps she could…

Before she could even finish that thought, Sunny fired a ball of golden energy from her right hand at Benz, not even bothering to turn toward them, determined to not give Citrinia an opening. The blast knocked Benz out of the sky mid leap, and sent them crashing to the ground. They didn't get back up.

And with that, the Hail Mary had failed. Citrinia was out of options. There were no allies who could help left. She had no way to fight back, and no time to come up with any sort of plan. As death loomed seconds away, She hoped the blade would simply be thrust through her neck, but she doubted it. Going by the manic grin that showed up far too sharp-to-be-human canines and the bright sparkle in the other girl's amber eyes, Sunny was enjoying this. She wouldn't be surprised if things were brutal; her limbs viciously hacked off one-by-one, perhaps, the other girl merely celebrating her desperate, pained screams and pleas.

Citrinia—no, Charity- swung her arms uselessly, closed her eyes, and let out a shrill, desperate scream.

After a moment of stunned silence as the light fully faded, Jeremy appraised himself. He felt… different. There was something about his body that… it didn't feel wrong, not at all, but simply not like it had been. He wasn't sure how he felt about it actually- there was a sort of buzz and thrum in his head, that was certainly pleasant, but also…. Very, very weird. Yeah, weird was a good word.

As he assessed his body, it took a single moment to realize the obvious; a fact that made his face immediately grow a violent scarlet and his cheeks gain an unfamiliar heat. He'd become a girl.

To distract from this inexplicable fact, he made an assessment of himself. His attire wasn't particularly revealing at least: he was wearing a long, cute gold dress that reached down to his knees, with baby blue gloves. He looked nice, and he appreciated how the color of the gloves was so soft. Jeremy then berated himself—where had those thoughts even come from?

Back to focusing on what actually mattered. The bracelet he'd found now adorned his left wrist. He felt an odd sensation pressing on his ears, and instinctively grasped at his right, only to feel a cool, smooth piece of metal where he would have previously felt nothing but air. He traced what he suspected to be an earring with his index and thumb, and felt that they made a half-crescent shape.

But the difference was not just his appearance. There was something broader at play.

When he gazed around everything had this new beauty to it, one that could only be described by injecting the maximum amount of superlatives. The trees were not just large redwoods, they were majestic, beautiful things that generously helped bring life to so many different types of fascinating creatures, bringing peace and harmony to this wondrous ecosystem. The leaves on the ground were not just detritus that were crushed by mindless human trampling, but beautiful remnants of those trees, whose fall had surely caused them to dance in the air so fluidly and gracefully to the ground; all of them bright and unique in their own special way. They provided a greater diversity of color to the forest's ground that would be impossible without their presence, and made it more pretty as a result.

Whatever was happening to him, it truly made him feel… the best word he could come up with was alive, like he'd been living in a drab black-and-white movie that had spontaneously transitioned to one in sharp technicolor. It both gave him a sharp thrill that sent a shiver down his spine, and a sense of indescribable freedom.

He just stood there for a second, relishing all these sensations and thoughts, hoping he could simply freeze in this spot for eternity, with an utterly triumphant grin on his face; the unusual tug on his lips feeling foreign even to him.

He couldn't remember the last time he'd smiled this wide. He felt another rush of an emotion that energized him, that pushed against the usual negative voices in his head and slowly began to smother them, that smoothed his eternally tense muscles. A sensation that made him feel like everything was going to be alright. Was this what being happy felt like?

A moment later he heard a shrill scream from deeper into the forest, and his grin faded. He looked toward the noise and dashed in that direction, viciously pushing his way through the untrodden path before him, his feet effortlessly trampling brush as he closed in on the scream's source.

He was clearly wearing heels, but they did not obstruct his movement whatsoever as he strode toward the sound. The rush of joy had dispelled the omnipresent mental static. He could actually hear his own thoughts now without that constant playback, and they told him firmly that wherever that scream came from was the place he needed to be. And so he ran faster. Faster than he ever imagined himself being able to run.

A few moments later, he reached the scream's source. He saw a girl in a similar outfit to his, though she had a shining sailor skirt that was a bright silver, with long blonde hair in a ponytail. Jeremy would have normally assumed that she was some weird cosplayer, but all bets were off today apparently. She was being held at sword point by an inhumanly pale girl standing right above her, and he could swear that the blade was radiating some kind of bright flame.

For a moment, he considered that he had likely gone completely insane, but even the likely truth of that felt unimportant. Jeremy knew for a fact that if he didn't do something, this girl was going to die. This girl, whoever she was, must have hopes, and dreams. She must have a family that cared about her, she must have friends that treasured her. She had so much to live for, he was absolutely certain. This couldn't happen. He wouldn't let it.

Running on pure instinct and adrenaline, right as the albino girl began to move her arms upward for the likely fatal stab, he let out an unexpectedly high-pitched scream, and with a speed Jeremy was certain he'd never had, he charged toward the assailant. The albino turned toward him, but this merely led to her jaw being met by Jeremy's reflexive uppercut. He could hear a crack as she clumsily stumbled away from her victim. Jeremy heard his knuckles pop, but no real pain came attached. A moment later, she smoothly transitioned into a backwards jump to balance herself, and dodged Jeremy's punch to the solar plexus after he closed the gap again.

He refused to give the girl another second to react. He leaned forward, and performed a flawless, fluid crescent kick right to the girl's temple. Its perfect execution made it look like it was something he'd practiced his entire life. She hadn't expected the strike, and the blow caused her to crash to the ground to her left. Her sword slipped from her hand and landed feet away, immediately dissipating into sparkling gold dust, which scattered in the fall breeze and disappeared into nothingness.

The girl who was attacked quickly got to her feet, and ran to Jeremy's side. The attacker had an expression of pure shock on her face. "First Citrinia, now you…" She mumbled, almost too quietly for Jeremy to hear. "And who are you?"

Jeremy realized he couldn't say his actual name. This wasn't him. Not exactly. This was someone better, Someone stronger. Someone actually worth something. He needed a new name.

His brain gave him little help, however, and thus he simply said the voice becoming rapidly familiar to him that whispered an answer in the back of his mind.

"I'm Albedia." Jeremy introduced himself, trying to sound as cold and intimidating as possible. Despite the name being foreign to him, it had a Rightness to it that gave him a strange sort of thrill down his spine. He clenched his fists and pulled his arm back, ready to continue his assault. But the girl that had been on the ground quickly grabbed it. Jeremy turned his head slightly to the right in confusion, seeing the girl named Citrinia, evidently, holding him back. Her lips were arranged in a thin line, and she had blue eyes sparkling with determination. "Okay, Sunny. It's two against one. You're unarmed." Her voice was calm but firm. "Can you just tell us what's going on here? Why are you doing this? What do you want?"

However, the girl apparently named Sunny closed her eyes and in a split second just… vanished, it was like she had simply been erased from existence on the spot. Jeremy stared for a second at the empty space where the girl had been. The adrenaline rush and pleasant buzz in his head were fading somewhat, and he looked at the other girl. She was a good guy, he guessed? Or something?

"Um, hi." He said, his tone awkward as he desperately tried to radiate a sort of confidence he absolutely did not feel.

Now that the fight was over, Charity's mind exited Combat Mode, leaving her with an after sensation of a gentle sense of accomplishment and pleasure; she assumed that this was what a runner's high felt like. Now she could appreciate everything else again. Thus, as her savior greeted her, she took a moment and stared at her, her eyes now sparkling with a brightness someone would feel if they were glimpsing an angel from on high. In a way, she felt like she absolutely was.

Oh, my God, this girl was just… sooooo cool! Her racing internal monologue didn't even know where to begin. The beautiful dress, the utter determination that had been in her eyes—like she'd have done anything to save her— her! She had gone so far out of her way to save her!

And then there was how her movements flowed with such clear passion; it truly felt like she had fought with all her heart. It reminded Charity of the magical girls she had always watched on TV with star-struck admiration and envy as a kid. And the way she'd said her name—she had said it with a sort of firm conviction that Charity couldn't help but find utterly captivating. She knew that she was there to kick some ass.

And her guardian angel was so graceful, every movement flowing so fluidly from one strike to the next, adapting to Sunny's responses flawlessly. it was like she had had months of training—it had taken so much practice for Charity to even get close to her movements being that smooth! She was a natural, Charity could already tell that. A born hero. She was destined to try and help her save the universe.

But would she even want to be a teammate with Charity: somebody so clearly less experienced in combat, less graceful, less awesome? Not to mention less attractive, oh my god—Charity liked to think she wasn't a bad looker, but this girl? This woman, really? She fucking rocked her look. The red hair shone in the sunset like fine jewelry in a way that contrasted sharply with her outfit in a way so, so pleasing to the eyes, the sharp contrast almost soothing. Her face was sculpted so beautifully, her chin sharp, and her tanned skin flawlessly smooth and without blemish.

Not to mention that purple was most absolutely her color, accentuating her body in all the right ways. Yeah, the outfit was a bit less… revealing… than Charity's, but the fact that that dress left more to the imagination just made it more alluring to her; the way her curves seemed to be masked by the outfit made her feel like a present Charity desperately wanted to unwrap.

With her toned but firm muscles she also looked like she could easily break Charity in half, which was hardly a downside. Or perhaps she could… she shook her head, no! Lewd thoughts! Bad!

She appreciated her savior further for a moment, looking her up and down, wanting to engrave her appearance into her brain.

As she realized exactly what she was doing, her cheeks tinted a sharp scarlet as the other magical girl looked back at her. Her brown eyes were full of what appeared to be confusion and a hint of concern; Okay, probably should introduce herself before checking her new teammate out. That was just kinda creepy, girl. No matter how starstruck she clearly was, she needed to carry herself with some level of self-respect, for crying out loud!

"Hiii!" Charity tried to channel her embarrassment into a raw and cheerful enthusiasm, and would like to think she absolutely succeeded flawlessly. "It's great to meet you! You said you were… Albedia, right?" She wanted to gush about the girl's name—it was so pleasing on her tongue, and deeply intrigued her. But she shot those thoughts down. She probably already was coming across a bit creepy; if Charity appeared too fangirly right now, that could potentially evolve into giving off outright stalker vibes.

She cleared her throat as she tried to make sure she was as composed as possible. "Like she said, I'm—wait." She shook her head rapidly. "This isn't right. I should do this properly."

If they were going to be teammates, friends—maybe… maybe… more than that? If she was really, really lucky? No, no, down girl, down—things needed to start out as clearly platonic as possible.

In a burst of light, she transformed, returning to her Normie appearance. "I'm Charity," she said. "You're sooo awesome, by the way! Right? Albedia, right? That's your name?" Her eyes sparkled and her voice gushed with affection. Okay, she was probably failing at the "platonic" thing. She was about to chastise herself for completely failing at her mission to come across as, you know, normal, until she saw the other magical girl was blushing.

For a moment she let her hopes spike, but they dulled. Another part of her brain pointed out it was likely from secondhand embarrassment. However, she rapidly silenced that pessimistic voice before it could ruin her mood. She was an expert at getting it to shut up.

"Well, anyway, I'm Charity Groves, 11th grader at Butler Academy!" For some reason, in the other girl's almost regal presence, she decided to do both a salute and then a little curtsy. She lightly giggled at herself. Okay, now she was just being silly. She glanced back up at Albedia and put her hands to her hips. "Okay, come on! Detransform! I want to see what you normally look like!"

Charity wondered what the mystery girl's true appearance could possibly be. She began imagining what Albedia truly looked like in her head—tall, maybe, with beautiful flowing hair, and eyes that sparkled with life. A nicely muscular and well-built figure too. She probably did martial arts or something! But instead of allowing Charity to confirm her suspicions, the other girl looked at her in bewilderment.

"De… trans…form?" She was carefully enunciating each syllable, like the word was utterly foreign. Oh! She realized what was going on- she'd just become a magical girl! Charity beamed again, when she realized this meant she could actually help her out in return for saving her life. It was a small gesture, but it was a start!

"Okay," Charity said, her smile from ear to ear. "Just… imagine your actual self, and you'll go back to it. It's super easy! Just think that you aren't transformed anymore, and you aren't!"

An expression came across the other magical girl's face she couldn't decipher, and after a moment's pause, the girl did so… and Charity was very confused. While the hair was a bit long, it certainly wasn't flowing, and it was a dull, unwashed brown rather than the beautiful amber red in her daydream. And this person's skin was far paler. Their limbs looked both thin and incredibly flimsy—almost toothpick-like really. Her savior had a scrawny build in general; it looked like they could be toppled by a light breeze. And most importantly, it only took a millisecond for Charity to recognize them.

"Y-You're the.. B-boy I bumped into earlier!?" She shouted, completely unable to keep her composure, her cheeks now flushed crimson for a completely different reason. Her mortification was only matched by her confusion.

In fairness, the boy's face mirrored hers; exactly. A moment later, he took a deep breath and let out a shrill plea. "Okay, can you please tell me what on Earth is going on?!"

Last edited:
I liked this opening chapter. I am very excited for their to be more Trans magical girl stuff, especially inspired by A Little Vice.

Good job with Jeremy's inner monologue although there are some parts which make me question if it's entirely natural in universe. Some of the description could be normal dysphoria but people don't actively berate themselves in their head to the best of my knowledge. I'm pretty sure the magical girl form is actively not entirely natural though. Euphoria is nice but it seemed like a pretty big change and it would make sense for nations to make their soldiers happy and if they can add combat stuff there shouldn't be much issue with adding other stuff as well.

I am very much looking forwards to seeing where this goes.

I liked this opening chapter. I am very excited for their to be more Trans magical girl stuff, especially inspired by A Little Vice.

Good job with Jeremy's inner monologue although there are some parts which make me question if it's entirely natural in universe. Some of the description could be normal dysphoria but people don't actively berate themselves in their head to the best of my knowledge. I'm pretty sure the magical girl form is actively not entirely natural though. Euphoria is nice but it seemed like a pretty big change and it would make sense for nations to make their soldiers happy and if they can add combat stuff there shouldn't be much issue with adding other stuff as well.

I mean, I don't think actively berating yourself is too uncommon. I do that myself, although it might not be a super common thing? Also, this is really good. I cant wait for the next chapter, this type of story is hard to find.

I think the negative voices are natural, but I feel that the commanding voice at the end is (pretty obviously) supernatural, given it wanting them to pick up the gem.

This is a promising start to an interesting story, I'm excited to see where it goes from here.

I mean, I don't think actively berating yourself is too uncommon. I do that myself, although it might not be a super common thing? Also, this is really good. I cant wait for the next chapter, this type of story is hard to find.
It depends. Negative self-talk can be a relatively normal thing if it happens from time-to-time, if it happens more frequently it can be a sign of just low self-esteem or an anxiety disorder. Berating yourself to the point that it starts crowding everything else out is generally a sign that something is terribly wrong, though.

(SOURCE: I was like this and just assumed it was normal if you had an anxiety disorder. Turns out it was not!)

Also, if this sort of subgenre interests you, I can not recommend A Little Vice enough. It's very fun, has cool characters and concept, and is also completely done aside from an epilogue! It can get pretty dark at points, so if you're sensitive to that kind of thing do mind the content warnings, though.

It depends. Negative self-talk can be a relatively normal thing if it happens from time-to-time, if it happens more frequently it can be a sign of just low self-esteem or an anxiety disorder. Berating yourself to the point that it starts crowding everything else out is generally a sign that something is terribly wrong, though.

(SOURCE: I was like this and just assumed it was normal if you had an anxiety disorder. Turns out it was not!)

Also, if this sort of subgenre interests you, I can not recommend A Little Vice enough. It's very fun, has cool characters and concept, and is also completely done aside from an epilogue! It can get pretty dark at points, so if you're sensitive to that kind of thing do mind the content warnings, though.
I read it already, it's probably the only stories I have ever really seen on this stuff. At least for good longer stories. Also yeah, I don't berate myself too often to that extent, but I don't really think of it as too unusual. Have you read Et Justitia Omnibus?

It's a little odd at first, with the berating yourself, in that I felt some of it was a bit too dispassionate, but that's a personal view and I am not everyone, so nbd. Really liked the villain descriptions and definitely looking forward to more! Will edit once I have some more thoughts. :D

I really cant wait for the next chapter! I have been binging all the trans content I can find, I am currently reading like 7 stories at once lol. They all posted in the same two days, so now I have to wait for each one of them to update :/

Last edited:
Sooo, a quick status update, I suppose! Been trying to get into the habit of plugging away every day writing something, and I'd say the next chapter is around... 1/3 of the way done? If I can get into gear I should probably have a draft ready to be beta'd by end of next week at the latest.

Also, so, I am genuinely kinda flustered at the immensely positive response this story has received, and upon learning that it actually has gotten traction from people outside the typical SV sphere, decided to just crosspost it on Scribblehub as well- after some QOL tweaks fixing little mistakes that bugged me every time I looked back at the chapter- since it has a sort of niche fanbase for this sort of quirky trans content. If people not typically on SV are reading it anyway, might as well put it somewhere where you don't have to register to the site to follow or comment as much as that might help Squishy's bottom line. For anybody curious, the link is here. I'll definitely be posting chapters here primarily, but if anybody reading this doesn't want to join SV for whatever reason, well, there's another place to follow the story!

It's a little odd at first, with the berating yourself, in that I felt some of it was a bit too dispassionate, but that's a personal view and I am not everyone, so nbd. Really liked the villain descriptions and definitely looking forward to more! Will edit once I have some more thoughts. :D
While every trans person experiences this stuff differently, I know that one common symptom is not only self hate, but also depersonalization, as if you were not really part of the world, separate in some way, and that seems to be what this gal is going through, even if she does not fully realize it yet.

This is a fantastic first chapter. Eagerly awaiting more! Really enjoying this little Trans Magical girl Renaissance spurred on by A Little Vice.

Episode 2: We Can't Be Teammates?! Jeremy's Shocking Denial! New
So, hi again! Some personal stuff, technical difficulties, and a few drafts later, finally got a second chapter done. Given that one of my betas will be busy with a move, I can't promise when the the others will be coming; I'll likely be using the time to build up a backlog. I honestly don't have too much to say for this one, so I will once again thank @Shadell and @Kei for being willing to beta read this for me and massively clean it up, please go check out their works!

Episode 2: We Can't Be Teammates?! Jeremy's Shocking Denial!

It was a trite cliche, but it's true, Jeremy thought as the pair stared at each other; at that moment you absolutely could've heard a pin drop. The girl– the real girl– named… Charity, was it? Yeah, Charity. She gazed at him dully, hazel eyes completely uncomprehending. Understandable. An amazing, brave warrior taking off their mask and being somebody as pathetic as him would shock anyone.

The emotional high Jeremy had been riding proved all too short. Charity's gaze appeared to mentally eject him from his own body; it was like his mind was coated in a sheet of stifling suffocating plastic, creating a barrier between him and the world. However, that could only do so much.

He could still all too acutely feel the tightness in his arms; it was a bit like when the doctor tests for blood pressure, only so much worse. So much more crushing, so much more overwhelming. Desperate for some relief, his hands slowly began clenching and unclenching. Clench. Unclench.

But before they started to clench again, he grimaced slightly.

No idiot, she's going to think you're going to punch her too.

He slowly loosened his fists. He felt no relief, only a mild sense of shame. Simultaneously, his legs started tightening, and tightening, and tightening. To Jeremy it felt similar to how the victim of a boa constrictor must feel as the beast started to crawl up your body; crushing your ability to run away, leaving you utterly helpless. In a way, it being the actions of a predator would have been a relief; it would mean that the sensation would stop. He decided to tap his feet to give them something to do, and maybe lose himself in the repetition motion. Tap. Tap. Tap.

But before they started to move upward for a fourth time, he grimaced again.

No, idiot. She's going to think you're being an impatient jerk.

All he'd done was make the shame he felt double. He let out a sigh. He decided to compromise by choosing to bounce on his heels. It didn't help either, but at least it felt like a somewhat natural thing to be doing.

Fortunately, Jeremy shifting his focus inward had given Charity enough time to compose herself, and she let out a light, airy laugh. "Umm… the truth is, I'm not quite sure myself?" Her eyes darted this way and that out of embarrassment, clearly looking for some kind of lifeline. God, this was such a mess.

Suddenly, her savior arrived, as a rather pipy but still masculine voice entered the conversation. "Alright, I think I can sort some of this out, at least."

Jeremy moved his head this way and that, trying to find this stranger, so that Jeremy could berate him for not even trying to help when Charity almost got murdered, but he saw no one. He looked back at Charity, his expression screwed up in confusion, and she simply pointed down and to her right.

When he checked, he saw a jet black cat trotting up to them as fast as its four little legs could muster. With its small beady black eyes, smooth, impeccably clean fur that gleamed in the sunset, and perked-up ears, he had to admit that, objectively speaking, the little thing was positively adorable. It looked almost identical to a plushie he had seen at a toy store once and had been so tempted to purchase, before rationality won out.

Then the cat made some indecipherable sound that Jeremy realized was it trying to get his attention, and said:

"Yes, I think an explanation is definitely in order here."

Yeah, okay, that voice was definitely coming from the animal. Alright, a talking cat. That might as well happen, Jeremy supposed. He gave a light shrug and listened.

"So, where to begin…" The cat paused in thought for a moment. "Well, I suppose it would be best to jump straight to the point. I am Benzii, and you are a Galactic Soldier whose job it is to save the universe!"

Jeremy froze as several competing questions ran through his mind at once. Between everything that had happened in the last hour or so and everything being explained to him now, it felt like he was underwater, being swept away by ferocious rapids. However, the cat, evidently named Benzii's, last sentence gave him something to cling to as a sort of foothold. He was apparently some grand hero that was going to save the universe.

In terms of absurdity, that especially stuck out. Save the universe? Him? He was someone that could barely reach the minimal expectations set out for him (sometimes not even that), and now he had the well-being of the entire universe on his shoulders?

"Yeah, no, setting everything else aside, you've got the wrong person." He said firmly, folding his arms. "I am not exactly World Saving Hero material." That was putting it mildly. He didn't feel the need to get into detail on his thoughts on the topic, but definitely needed to draw the line, for himself if nothing else.

"Regardless of whether you think you are or not, the Power Gem chose you." Benzii insisted, trotting closer to him. Despite the cat hardly seeming a threat, Jeremy could feel his body tense up further at the encroachment into his personal space. He backed away slightly.

If the cat noticed Jeremy's discomfort, it chose to ignore it, and continued. "If you weren't worthy, the item would have simply passed you by. The fact that you were chosen indicates that you have potential, even if you don't realize it."

Jeremy felt awkward trying to argue with a cat, talking and intelligent cat or no, so he turned back to Charity instead.

"I can't be a hero, I don't deserve it." To him this was a self-evident truth. The idea of him saving anyone seemed absurd. Okay, so "he'd" saved Charity, but that had been all Albedia. Meanwhile, the real him couldn't even save himself. How was he supposed to rescue an entire universe?

"It's not about what you, or anyone, deserves," Benzii evidently didn't care that this was now essentially a conversation-by-proxy, their voice growing more adamant by the second. Charity then decided to chime in.

"Listen Albedia, you clearly could be great at this! Can you please just listen—"

He turned back to Charity. "Don't call me that." Jeremy spat, like the girl had hurled a vicious insult. " I am not Albedia, and never will be." He could see Benzii bristle out of the corner of his eye. "My name is Jeremy Hughes. Sorry I can't help you. See you around, I guess."

He gave a small, awkward wave and refused to look back, as he briskly headed home.

Charity slowly made her way back to her own house, kicking wayward pebbles, which landed onto the gray pavement of the nearby road. This sucked! She finally finds a teammate, and they're hot, and she can't even get her— him, rather—to agree to join up with them!?

She made a forlorn sigh, and continued her trek. Her home was near the urban core of the town, so it was a lengthy walk. Benz continually prodded at her mentally, but she ignored them. She needed to sulk for a bit.

After around five minutes, she grew tired of being childish and decided to acknowledge the cat's badgering.

Alright, what's up?

While she didn't look down at them, she could sense Benz's glare.

'What's up' is that we need to figure out how to recruit your new friend to help us!

"Friend" was a weird word to describe a girl she kinda had a huge crush on who turned into a boy she both felt absolutely nothing for and knew absolutely nothing about. Rather than argue the point, however, Charity simply gave a weary shrug.

If she, er, he, doesn't want to do it, he doesn't want to do it! We can't force him to risk his life like that!

No matter how much she might want to, Charity chose to leave unspoken. Even setting aside the whole "crush" thing, the fact was that everything would be so much easier if she had a teammate; if she had somebody that she could fight alongside, somebody who would have her back.

But then again, there was another wrinkle she hadn't even really thought about. if the teammate was just Albedia? No question, she'd be as enthusiastic as Benz to get her on-board. But she remembered the dull, dead look in Jeremy's eyes. Could she trust someone like that to be her partner? She frowned as she realized she couldn't answer that question.

"Listen, maybe we can give it another try tomorrow," she accompanied the words with a soft sigh, her reluctance apparent, as the pair reached Charity's house. "But I'm not optimistic." The boy seemed to be stubborn as a brick, and Charity had no idea how to get through to him, especially when she wasn't even convinced she entirely wanted to.

She grit her teeth as she opened the front door. Why did life have to be so complicated?

After another thirty minutes, Jeremy finally reached his home. Something that immediately would catch somebody's eye is the family's two cars parked in front of the house, both relics from the Nineties. They definitely showed a good deal of wear and tear; both were beaten up, with dents in the bumpers and his dad's Buick having a tiny crack in the windshield. But they had been showered with love and care, and possessed a reliability only an old car can have. It was sentimental, but Jeremy honestly would have felt far less safe in the flashy new models that proliferated the parking lot of his school.

His home was equally modest. It was just one floor and looked, and sometimes felt, like it could get blown over by a strong breeze. It showed its age: the white paint on the front of the house was heavily chipped, and the wooden floorboards of the steps to the front door were slightly off-center. You could tell that his parents had gotten it for cheap. Jeremy still respected the place though, it had proven that it could hold strong and carried on.

That was what Jeremy had to do above all else, hold strong and carry on. He might not be as reliable as their car, or as sturdy as their house, but he had to push forward. It's what his parents wanted, after all.

He closed his eyes for a second, imagining himself as Albedia, standing tall despite any villains that stood in her way, ruthlessly beating down all opposition… Then he shook his head. That just wasn't him. It could never be him.

Setting the thought aside for the moment, he went inside. While his father wasn't there - he had night shifts at the hospital for the next week or so - his mother's workload must have not been too overwhelming today. She immediately came out of her small study after the closing of the front door. Her ruby red lips formed into a wide smile, and she charged toward Jeremy.

"Sweetie, you're home!" Barbra Hughes said, the taller woman running him to him in her ruby heels and giving him a huge hug as a greeting. Something about returning these displays of affection always felt maddeningly awkward and insincere. Which was bizarre; he loved his mom, obviously he did. But it was just another thing about him. When other people gave affection, it felt right. When he tried, it always felt empty, and emotionless. Another way he was broken- he couldn't even reciprocate the love showered onto him. He meekly returned the hug regardless.

He shook his mom off after a minute and manufactured a soft smile. "Yeah, I'm home," he said. "Mind if I go to my room, mom? I have schoolwork to do." His mom dismissed him with a wave of her hand — the ruby nail polish she was wearing today was a nice color on her he noted absently– and he quietly made his way to his room, the furthest room from the front door in the house.

As Jeremy entered it, he consoled himself with the fact that that wasn't a lie, even if he didn't care about schoolwork right now. His mind had been hard at work processing everything that had happened this afternoon, and he'd at least evolved from feeling like he was being swept away by the tide to "merely" treading water.

He began twirling a lock of his hair, the ring finger on his right hand absently toying with the strands. So, okay, what had just happened!?

Becoming a magical warrior, that was bizarre in itself. But turning into a girl? Against his own will? He'd heard about this sort of thing in speculative fiction he read, but wasn't that like… hugely unethical in real life!?

He couldn't even dwell much on the rush he'd gotten from being useful for once, because he was still trying to desperately process what on Earth was going on, and his mind kept looping back to the elephant in the room.

How was changing his gender like that even possible? Didn't you need to give yourself a bunch of chemicals and painful surgery and stuff for a boy to become a girl? It wasn't supposed to be automatic like that!

And why couldn't somebody who actually needed it gotten to have that privilege? A lot of people could benefit from something like that, while it just intensified how pathetic he felt

God, why did life have to be so complicated?

He felt like he wanted to cry. He clutched hs eyes shut, but as always, the tears never came. So he merely waited until the wave of sadness subsided, and collapsed onto his bed. He was determined to get some answers tomorrow.

Worn out, his schoolwork was completely ignored, as he instead drifted off to sleep. Before he fell into dreamland, he felt his hand protectively curling around the bracelet he had never taken off his wrist.

When Rubeda was called to her Queen's chambers, she had been expecting the worst, and was immediately vindicated. Milady looked imperiously down at her, with a razor thin smile that was actively scornful. It befit a vengeful Goddess more than it did a Queen of mercy.

"There are two of them now," It wasn't a question. Rubeda said nothing.

"We still only have one Power Gem, and there are two of them now." Her voice was cold, and contained the solemnity and disappointment of a Queen sentencing her formally loyal subject to death. Rubeda realized, with as close to anxiety as she ever felt, that that scenario was worryingly close to being her current position. When it became apparent that her liege had nothing more to say, she responded, putting effort into making sure her voice stayed smooth and calm.

"Yes, my Queen, but the new girl came into her abilities recently, at the very least. She can not possibly have the experience to-"

"I believe that is exactly what you told me about the first one, and yet, she is still both alive and in possession of one of my Gems." Her Queen stood as tall on her throne as she could, and began drumming her fingers on her right temple. She couldn't remember the last time she'd seen her Queen this angry.

The Woman paused for a moment in contemplation.

"Perhaps you need assistance. It might be time to bring Cibra off guard duty."

This sent huge klaxons of alarm sounding through Rubeda's mind, and she straightened up as much as possible, suffusing her voice with as much determination as she could manage.

"Completely unnecessary, Milady. I will handle this matter, I assure you. I will not fail again."

The Queen gave a smile, but it did not reach her eyes. "Very well. Go. Bring me back both Power Gems, the two humans can keep their lives or die, I care little." Her lips curved downward, and her tone became more solemn. "If you fail this time, however, we might need to come up with… alternate arrangements."

Rubeda winced, but nodded, and disappeared, teleporting back into her quarters. Rubeda might be the older sister by milliseconds, but she was still the older sister. Just as she was her Lady's sword, she would be Cibra's shield. This was her responsibility, and this time, she would succeed.

Charity rubbed her eyes sleepily as she entered the AP Literature classroom, utterly dispirited. Her sleep had just been nightmares of Sunny bloodily slicing and dicing her on loop, and that meant she was hardly in the mood to entertain Benz's badgering to get Jeremy to help them that morning. Which made sense. After all, since she and Jeremy weren't going to be partners, that was looking more and more like a likely outcome next time she and Sunny ran into each other.

She reached her assigned seat, fell into the blue and plastic chair, and collapsed onto the desk, head colliding with the polished wood with a thump. She let out a barely audible groan.

"Something got you down?" A voice said from directly behind her.

"How'd you guess," she grumbled as she shifted and turned backward to face Melody Graham (or as Charity preferred, Mel), her bestie since grade school.

"Hmm… can't say. Truly a mystery." Mel responded, her black nails scratching at her chin in faux-contemplation. She then paused for a second and tilted her head, a teasing smile playing on her lips. "Boy trouble?"

Charity simply shook her head weakly. Mel gave a firm nod in understanding, with her blue eyes seeming to twinkle in sympathy. "Girl trouble then."

She paused for a moment, trying to decide the safest way to put this. "Sooorta?" She said weakly, waggling her left hand in response. Melody simply raised a manicured eyebrow, running a hand through her green hair. She waited a second, presumably expecting Charity to elaborate, and when she didn't, simply shook her head vehemently.

"What on Earth does 'sorta' mean!?" Mel almost shouted. She leaned in toward Charity conspiratorially, and lowered her voice back down to a whisper. "Listen, tell me more, I promise I won't snitch!"

Charity smiled ruefully. She'd love to— Mel had always been her confidante, somebody who she could tell her most important life secrets to. The girl could provide surprisingly insightful advice. But Mel was the head of the school's Journalism Club, and she really doubted she would be able to shut up about her best friend saving the world by moonlight. This needed to stay secret. The less people knew, the less likely Sunny would decide the best answer was to just go on a killing spree.

But when Mel got a hunch that something was up, she was like a dog playing fetch—she'd chase after that hunch and sink her fangs into it as hard as she could. She'd already suspected that something was up given Charity's behavior the last two weeks, and this latest mystery would simply make things worse. She had to figure out some innocuous explanation for everything that was going on… but had come up with nothing so far.

She'd tried saying that she was spending her free time with her new cat, but she seemed to find how well behaved Benz was for a supposed stray suspicious in itself, so that excuse just compounded the problem.

Benz, you don't have any mind control abilities do you? Like… mind-wiping or something? Mel is being so annoying!

Charity, even if I did, I am not going to mess with your friend's brain.

She quietly groaned to herself, her lips curling into a little pout as she laid her face back onto the desk. Unfortunately, she evidently was not quiet enough.

"Okay, seriously, what's up?" Mel's voice suddenly radiated sympathy, and Charity heard her friend get out of her chair to come to her side, gently putting a hand on her shoulder. "Listen, I just want to help." Her voice was soft and soothing, like a mother attempting to reassure a child. From most people Charity would feel patronized, but from Mel it simply radiated compassion and warmth.

Okay, maybe she could at least try and explain some of it abstractly…

But right before she started to try, a deeper voice injected itself into the conversation.

"Oh, sorry, am I interrupting something? I'm sorry, I'll go-" The words came out in a rush, a flurry of words spoken so fast it took a second for Charity to process. But that wasn't important, given that she recognized the voice instantly.

She gazed up at the new member of the conversation. "Oh, no, it's fine. Jeremy. What do you need?" She asked.

Ask him if he's changed his mind! Said the little pest in the back of her head.

First of all Benz, no, second of all, I absolutely can't do that while Mel is here, are you crazy!?

Jeremy did his best impression of a deer in the headlights when both Mel and Charity turned their gazes on him. Charity made an effort to look as sympathetic as possible, but it didn't seem to be working. She wondered if Mel being here was making this more complicated for him, or if the boy was so skittish he'd be like this regardless.

Jeremy looked down at his white tennis shoes, lightly kicking his feet as he talked. "I, um, didn't really get the homework from last night, and I know you always pay attention in class, Charity. Do you think you can help?"

Mel looked like she wanted to say something, but Charity was capable of reading between the lines, and answered immediately. "Oh, sure. Can we meet up after school? I'm known for my tutoring skills!" She gave Jeremy as much of an encouraging smile as she could manage, but the boy didn't acknowledge it. He just gave a weak nod, slowly turned around and walked back to his seat. .

When she turned to face Melody, she could see that her blue eyes were narrowed with suspicion, and Charity just shrugged. "We've talked a couple times before," she tried to make her tone sound as casual as possible, but even she could tell her voice had a defensive bite to it.

Mel threw her hands up in surrender, and went back to her seat. Class began shortly thereafter, and Charity tried her hardest to think about anything except the afternoon ahead of her.

For Jeremy, the school day was usually agonizingly slow. His typical routine was to disguise his anxiety, act out his part as the diligent student, and move on with his life, repeating the same cycle ad infinitum. Today felt different. A spanner had been thrown into the works. His thoughts were still a swirl of anxiety, but under the surface was something else… anticipation, maybe? Excitement, even?

Jeremy doubted it was the latter; he wasn't sure what there was to be excited about, really. He was just going to get an explanation of what right they had to turn him into a girl without his consent, and then have nothing to do with any of them ever again.

Yet, there was still something that made the day feel less like it was merely a blur of conditioned motions, but instead an agonizing crawl, where playing his part felt far more effort-consuming than it usually did. He decided he would try and figure out exactly why later.

When the bell finally rang. Jeremy was usually one to slowly get out of his seat, put everything in his backpack, and head home, body firmly on autopilot. Today, he threw everything into his backpack haphazardly as quickly as he could, zipped it closed, and walked out of the classroom as quickly as possible. Charity had agreed to rendezvous with him at the front gate, and she met up with him there a few seconds after he arrived.

"So, don't worry about us being bothered. Nobody is home at the moment." Charity's explanation was accompanied by an awkward laugh. Jeremy wasn't sure why exactly she was uncomfortable, but it was none of his business.

The pair walked through the urban sprawl for around 20 minutes before reaching Charity's place, and Jeremy realized the likely reason for her awkwardness. Her home was a nice two-story house, with a coat of rich blue paint that shined in the sunlight, just as the blades of grass on the lawn sparkled from a recent watering. It was clear a good deal of work was kept into keeping the place maintained.

By laborers they underpaid. But he quickly banished the bitter thought. He needed to stay on good terms with Charity for the moment, and it wasn't his place to judge.
Charity scratched the back of her head and let out a laugh just as awkward as the first before motioning for them to head in, her cheeks tinted faintly pink.

After they entered the place, Charity gave him a quick tour. There were a variety of paintings hung on the walls in fancy silver frames, well-preserved fine china placed in golden drawers in the kitchen, and everything looked shiny and clean. Jeremy felt another stab of bitterness, but shook his head. Charity was a good person, he shouldn't let his own less fortunate circumstances make him look down on her like that.

After the tour, Charity showed Jeremy the way upstairs, and the pair quickly headed to her bedroom. Charity plopped onto her bed, and stared at Jeremy, clearly not knowing how to proceed. The awkwardness between the two intensified as they sat in silence, before Benzii freed them.

"So, did you request this meeting because you agreed to join us?" They sounded desperately hopeful, and from the look in Charity's eyes at least part of her shared that hope. He couldn't help but feel guilty that both their dreams were about to be shattered.

Jeremy quickly shook his head. "I can't be some kind of superhero, I'm not good enough to be who you need. I know that. But… I need something explained."

Charity tilted her head slightly. "What's that?" Her voice radiated confusion.

"Well… like… you know that magic bracelet… force-femmed me, right?" When Charity simply stared at him in bewilderment, he shuffled his feet awkwardly and then cleared his throat. If he was blushing, he'd be very unsurprised. "Er, turned me into a girl, I mean."

Charity stared at him for a second longer and then nodded, "Okay, I was kinda… wondering about that too. If you're a Guardian Soldier do you have to take the form of a woman or something?" She raised an eyebrow, "That seems odd."

Benz let out an indignant meow, which was not cute, absolutely not. Just… pleasing to the ear, yeah, that's it. Charity proceeded to let out a soft giggle. It was clear that if cats could flush with embarrassment, they absolutely would have.

"I had hoped that this planet wouldn't have the same preoccupation with gender that mine did, but regardless…" They then let out a quiet hiss that sounded like an attempt at a sigh. "That isn't how this works. Your duty is essentially to act as heroes called to save the universe from devastation, and that sort of power isn't that picky, as long as the person is strong of heart. Many men have been Galactic Soldiers in the past."

Jeremy couldn't imagine being "strong of heart" enough to be chosen- he was wretched. Broken. But now wasn't the time to think about that– this was more important than going through a despair spiral. He needed to pay attention.

"The Power Gem essentially functions by taking something akin to your ideal self, and molding you in that image." Benzii continued. "Whatever it is your dream self looks like, that is who you transform into. I don't know any cases where an individual's gender has changed, however- as far as I'm aware, that is unheard of, "

Jeremy nodded. That actually made a lot of sense. He had always wanted to be something other than himself, somebody who was a good person, a worthwhile person, someone who could help others. So he needed to be the opposite of who he actually was, and what was less like him, a useless pathetic boy, than a strong, confident, powerful girl?

Charity gave a nod of her own, and then turned her head to him. "That said, maybe you should try transforming again, Jeremy?"

Jeremy gave the girl a skeptical look, eyes narrowed. She quickly waved her hands in what was clearly supposed to be a pacifying gesture.

"Listen, I'm just curious if Benz will sense something when you transform that might clarify things, no ulterior motives, I promise!"

The sparkle in Charity's eyes made a lie of that promise, but regardless, he agreed. He knew that he couldn't resist that rebellious part of him lurking in the back of his head; the part of him that did want to do it again. To try and recapture that wondrous feeling of happiness and freedom he felt when he'd transformed that first time. It was as euphoric as any drug he could imagine and he desperately wanted another hit.

He ran his hand across the gold heart on his bracelet, and felt himself begin to transform.

Melody Graham had no fucking idea what was going on, but was absolutely convinced her best friend was trying to bullshit her. They hadn't been able to hang out for weeks now because she always had "some other business" to take care of, business that she was clearly covering up, by the way, and now she's suddenly palsies with some nervous kid with dead fish eyes that she had never seen Charity talk to in her entire life, and they're hanging out? When she is "too busy" to even give Mel the time of day?

Something was absolutely going on there. She doubted they'd hooked up; she really didn't think anxiety-ridden weirdos were really in Charity's strike zone, but the pair of them had some kind of secret, and she was absolutely going to uncover it.

Thus, when Charity and the boy- Jerry his name was? Something like that- met up outside the school's front doors, Melody quietly followed them. Her place wasn't far from Charity's, so for most of the trip her being right on their heels was entirely inconspicuous.

To some people this might seem a little extreme, but her motivations were entirely pure; first of all, as a veteran of the Journalism Club, she knew a scoop when she saw one. Yeah, some people whined about her being a "gossip" or whatever, but it gave her good instincts for when something was going down, and something was absolutely going down. And more importantly, it involved her friend.

The fact was, she was a little worried about Charity. Sure, like, she was a grown girl, she could take care of herself and all that. But it really came across like she was biting off something bigger than she could chew; she'd seen how exhausted the girl had been at school the last couple weeks– she'd been caught napping in class multiple times. Old Charity would be the one to snitch on someone daring to doze off during a lecture!

Not to mention that more recently, she'd just… had a metaphorical rain cloud over her head. The way she talked to Melody, it was like she felt like she had the world on her shoulders, and that she knew she was going to collapse if she had to bear that weight.

And what were friends for but to help carry the load?

So she, well, stalked them, she'd cop to that. She stalked them all the way to Charity's place. Fortunately, they didn't lock the door behind them, so a few minutes after Charity had unlocked the front door and headed in with Jerry, Melody quietly slipped in, making sure to shut the door behind her as quietly as possible.

She then quietly made her way up to the second floor, wincing when one of the stairs made a quiet creak as she stepped on it, but sighing in relief when she didn't hear any indication that she had been found out. She then hid right outside Charity's bedroom door, and listened in.

And nothing she was hearing made sense. Who is the third person in the room talking to them? What on earth were they talking about? Superheroes? Saving the world from devastation? And what the heck was a Galactic Soldier?

Rubeda was soaring high in the skies of Hexitrude Town, with all senses alert. She was carefully scanning for any sign of either of the magical girls, whether that sign be physical or mental, and inwardly groaned when she found nothing. The Milady of the past would have likely been sympathetic if she returned with no results… she was unsure if she would be so charitable now.

As time passed, she grew more and more frustrated. She wasn't even sure what exactly she was looking for; given that she didn't even know the two's identities beyond their Galactic Soldier names. It's not like she could track them down. She simply extended her spiritual and mental senses, desperately praying that she'd find a clue.

And then. Perfect. Her lips curled into a smile as she felt a similar tug to what she had felt yesterday, when she sensed one of the Soldiers. She absently noticed there were subtle differences, but she was too busy trying to follow this tug to its source to truly try and focus on the minutiae.

This time, there would be no mercy. No holding back. She would strike the two of them down in the name of her Queen.

Charity tried really hard to not blush when Jeremy transformed into Albedia again… and she failed miserably. God, why did this fake form have to be so hot?! She didn't get it. Life could be so cruel.

"Okay, so, Benz, did this help-"

But before Charity could even finish her sentence, she heard an all-too-familiar voice, the one time she really didn't want to hear it.

"Okay, what the fuck is going on here?!"

Melody charged into the room, and just stared at the scene in front of her. Her utterly flabbergasted face would normally be hilarious, but - given the circumstances - filled Charity with despair. Mel couldn't get involved with all this. She just couldn't.

Oblivious to Charity's inner turmoil, Mel simply started pointing at things randomly- "W-was that cat the other voice I heard? Since when could cats talk? Why did Zombie Boy become a girl? What is this weird bullshit about you two being superheroes? I just… Please, help a girl out! Throw me a bone here!" Her voice was quickly shifting from bewildered to pleading, and she clasped her hands together in supplication.

And then right as Charity's mind was desperately racing for some kind of reasonable explanation for all this, she heard another voice, one that was becoming distressingly familiar.

"Explanations won't be necessary."

A moment later, Sunny materialized into the room. One second there was nobody behind Mel, the next second the albino was right there.

Poor Mel didn't even get a second to react, Sunny moved as quick as lightning, chopping her in the neck and slamming her fist into the left side of her head. Mel collapsed onto the carpet, like a puppet with its strings cut.

Charity charged toward her friend, and saw out of the corner of her eye that Albedia was about to do the same thing. Sunny, however, was faster. She grabbed Mel with her left arm, and with the right quickly summoned a weapon; it was thin and resembled an icepick, with a light bronze sheen.

"Come to the forest to hand over your Power Gems to me, or your friend dies. You have one hour to comply."

With that said, Sunny and Mel just disappeared. Sunny could teleport out of places just as well as she could teleport into them, apparently.

Jeremy just stood there in shock. Did that girl just kidnap Charity's friend and hold her hostage?

Jeremy would have pondered on what they should do, but wasn't sure what choice they really had. The only option seemed to be to surrender. He couldn't let anybody's blood be on his hands, no matter what was at stake.

Jeremy expected Charity to concur, to demand that they go turn in their Gems immediately. Alternatively, to shut down; to collapse onto the carpet and break down crying. She did neither and just looked at him, her eyes alight with determination.

"Okay, we need to rescue Mel. Either of you got a plan?"

Benzii, who had been still as a statue ever since Charity's friend had burst in, seemed to perk up at this, a speck of hope in their eyes. However, Jeremy merely shook his head.

"There is somebody's life on the line here. What we need to do is hand over our gems."

Charity just glared. "I won't let Mel die, but I'm not going to sign this universe's death warrant either. Mel would never forgive me."

"We have no leverage!" Jeremy insisted. "I barely even know how to fight! What exactly do you expect us to do!?"

"She expects you to think," Benzii said, intruding into the argument. "What good is saving the girl if everyone dies as a result?"

Jeremy felt anger spike at the calm way the cat was discussing this, but quickly bottled it up and shoved it down, down, down into the dark depths of his psyche. He couldn't let himself get angry. Anger never accomplished anything.

He breathed in, and breathed out. "I don't know what you expect me to do here," He repeated. "I'm not a hero."

Charity paused. "You could be."

"What?" Jeremy was dumbstruck.

Charity stared directly at him, her eyes burning with more passion than he'd ever seen the girl have.

"Listen, you know I have a crush on you… well, this you, right?" She gestured at Jeremy's current form, and he simply nods.

"That isn't just because you're cute and hot, though you absolutely are. It's because you saved me. You didn't need to be asked to do that, you did it without a second thought. Because you thought I needed help. Because you cared." She gave Jeremy as bright a smile as she could manage. "You were a hero, Albedia. You were my hero. I think you can be again."

Jeremy had started to object, but when Jeremy heard Charity call him- well Albedia- cute, he was silenced. He feel his cheeks go hot, and whatever he had been planning to say, his train of thought had been completely derailed. The declaration gave him a strange warmth inside his chest, and helped to calm down his racing thoughts. For some reason being called cute sent a sharp thrill up his spine. He wanted to smile, but managed to bottle that feeling up and set it next to his anger– now wasn't the time.

She took a breath. "Now just take a deep breath, stop panicking, and help me come up with a plan."

Jeremy surrendered. Charity was right, really. With so much at stake, it was wrong to give up before they even tried. And it's not like he was Jeremy right now. Jeremy was a coward. Jeremy could never do anything right. Jeremy would run away and never look back. Jeremy was an awful person, and he could never fix that.

But Albedia? Albedia was strong. Albedia was confident, Albedia both wanted to save people, and had the power to do so. He had been looking at this all wrong; he was given a gift here- a chance to be somebody he obviously wasn't, to try and do something great for everyone around him. Sure, he wouldn't be remembered for it, but Albedia would. And that was enough.

So, sure. He could play pretend.

Albedia took a deep breath, though he could still feel a hint of heat in his cheeks, and nodded. He—no, Albedia wasn't a pathetic boy— She looked right at Charity, her lips now a determined line.

"Okay, you're right, let's brainstorm." Albedia tried to inject as much confidence into her voice as she could manage

Benzii, giving Albedia the brightest smile they could muster, quickly made that hairball sound she was pretty sure was him clearing his throat. "I might have a suggestion."

Thirty minutes later, Charity, now Citrinia, entered the woods. She was, for a moment, worried about how exactly she was going to find Sunny, but the other girl had made things convenien for her, by simply teleporting directly to her right. One arm clutched the unconscious Mel, the other held the icepick.

Citrinia closed her eyes, and affected the most solemn expression that she could manage. "I admit defeat," she said, lowering her head and moving to take off the necklace that contained her Power Gem. Lowering her head served two purposes- it would make things look authentic, and also because she didn't have a poker face worth a damn.

Sunny merely nodded. "You made the right choice. This may seem tragic now, but when you feel nothingness for the first time, I'm sure you too will-"

Before Sunny could finish her thought, Albedia rammed into the girl from behind, slamming her right shoulder into Sunny's back. Caught off-guard, she dropped the icepick as she stumbled forward, and Citrinia charged at Sunny and gave her a firm punch to the right side of her head.

Her head snapped far enough leftward that Citrinia could swear she heard Sunny's neck crack, and she immediately collapsed to the ground, motionless. For a moment, she thought Sunny might be unconscious, and started to slowly approach her.

But once she was within arm's length, Sunny's revealed her bluff. Her hand snaked around Citrinia's ankle and pulled, knocking her down onto the grass. She let out a weak groan, and tried to get up, but Sunny had been faster. She quickly retrieved her blade and pinned Citrinia with her knee. She then leant over Citrinia, the icepick aimed directly at her heart.

"We've got to stop meeting like this," Citrinia said weakly, giving Sunny a wan smile.

Sunny didn't react, not letting her eyes off Citrinia. She was obviously concerned the girl had an ace up her sleeve. Well, she wasn't wrong.

"Before I die, can you at least tell me why you're doing this?" Citrinia said weakly, making as much of an innocent, doe-like expression as she could muster.

Sunny seemed to consider this for a moment, before saying. "I suppose you proved a competent enough foe that I can tell you that much." She paused for a moment, then continued. "We seek to bring the wondrous feeling of nothingness to the universe. There will be no more pain, no more suffering, no more betrayal." Her voice actually sounded almost… wistful. "Life causes everyone to stumble mindlessly through their lives, feeling empty. We free them from that emptiness." To Charity shock, her lips slowly forming into a soft smile.

"And is there no way I can talk you out of it?" Citrinia said, giving a soft smile of her own. "There's no real need to do this, I'm sure we can work something out."

Sunny shook her head. "Our goals are like oil and water. You wish to allow people to live their lives and suffer, we wish to end that suffering. There can be no compromise."
She then gave one of her manic grins. "What was this supposed to accomplish, regardless? Did you actually believe you could convince me to betray my Queen with a smile and some trite words?"

Citrinia's smile widened. She could sense her now.

"I was buying time, mostly."

Before Sunny could even process what Citrinia had said, Albedia charged toward her, and performed a jump kick, smashing her heel into Sunny's face. This sent her stumbling, stunned, backwards. She was only off-guard for a second, but that was all Citrinia needed to get free from her prone position and wrench the blade from Sunny's hand.

Citrinia held it to Sunny's neck- just to keep her in place, but a second later in front of her was nothing but air.

"Behind you!" Albedia yelled, and Citrinia turned and quickly jumped back, dodging Sunny's forward thrust, having already summoned a bronze sword. Immediately afterward, Citrinia charged forward, and attempted to punch Sunny in the side of the head. Sunny ducked and dipped away from the blow, but Albedia followed this up by shoulder-checking her, slamming her larger body into Sunny's. Sunny falls to the ground, losing control of her second knife, which Citrinia's partner immediately snatched.

The two went back and forth for some time, and Citrinia noticed that the longer the fight went on, the more manic their opponent's movements got, and equally as desperate. Sunny would throw her whole body into large, extended swings that were slightly harder to dodge, but also left her overextended, and far more vulnerable. The pair began to get more and more strikes in. Citrinia and Albedia also make sure to never give their opponent an opening to summon another blade, which gives Albedia, the one with the weapon, a substantial advantage.

After another ten minutes of back-and-forth, Sunny looked at them, her eyes gleaming with the sort of mania Citrinia had seen before, but it was extremely different. It lacked any sort of joy, instead radiating desperation. Sweat ran down her brow, and her breaths escalated to mild pants. While Citrinia certainly felt worn down, it was pretty clear who was inevitably going to lose this fight.

"There's no need for this," Citrinia pleads. "It's obvious that we've won, just give up."

"I… can't," Sunny panted, despite her labored breathing. "If I fall here, I fall here, but I must not..." Suddenly, she perked up, clearly caught off-guard by something invisible to Citrinia's eyes, and then vanished into the aether. The two of them stayed alert for a couple minutes, waiting for the next surprise attack, but it didn't come. She'd actually given up? Or something forced her to leave, at least. It wasn't the outcome Citrinia had hoped for, but at least Mel was safe.

Citrinia felt like jumping up and down, letting out a cheer of delight, but all she did was hold out her hand to Albedia. "Good job, partner. I couldn't have done it without you." Albedia seemed to be considering something, and after a moment's thought, took it.

"Thanks," she said shyly, refusing to look Citrinia in the eye. Citrinia then closed her eyes and sighed deeply. Speaking of her friend… "Now I need to figure out how to explain what just happened to Mel."

Then a… situation emerged. Charity would be the first to admit that multi-tasking wasn't really her forte, but evidently she also hadn't perfected both talking and having a mental conversation simultaneously.
Given that she follows this up by walking directly into someone I'm going to assume the "talking" here is meant to to be "walking" aha.
"Listen, you know I have a crush on you… well, this you, right?" She gestured at Jeremy's current form, and he simply nods.

"That isn't just because you're cute and hot, though you absolutely are.
Wow, the metaphorical balls on this girl. There had to be a different way for her to segue into that conversation.

Also, I am completely dumbfounded that someone with Jeremy's mindset managed to go "Yes I know you have a crush on me." (Even nonverbally.) I am shocked that they werent under seven layers of denial, even with the attractive magical girl form and how crushingly obvious Charity is.

Good two chapters though, thanks for the fic~

Last edited:
Jeremy nodded. That actually made a lot of sense. He had always wanted to be something other than himself, somebody who was a good person, a worthwhile person, someone who could help others. So he needed to be the opposite of who he actually was, and what was less like him, a useless pathetic boy, than a strong, confident, powerful girl?
So close and yet so very very far away.

With A little Vice finishing this should be an interesting story with some similar themes.
The question is if Jeremy/Albedia will be as much a cast-iron eggshell as Charlie/Chiro was (and to some degree still is).

I have a lot of thoughts will say, I'm glad our main character's parents seem to be not horrible people, which is a nice change of pace from all the horrible parents that most of these current stories have had.
Also "I'm not trans enough to transition, it's so much work and I don't deserve this free magical transition even though I was handed it and I feel so much better doing it" is a super funny mood, not going to lie.

Given Jeremy's mother's apparent obsession with ruby red, I can't help but wonder if there's some connection to Rubeda. Also, I feel like I'm seeing something of an alchemy motif with the names; maybe we'll meet someone going by Nigredo?

Edit: And then I remember the story's title: Lead to Gold. Of course there's an alchemy motif. :V

Last edited:
I have a lot of thoughts will say, I'm glad our main character's parents seem to be not horrible people, which is a nice change of pace from all the horrible parents that most of these current stories have had.
Also "I'm not trans enough to transition, it's so much work and I don't deserve this free magical transition even though I was handed it and I feel so much better doing it" is a super funny mood, not going to lie.
Heh, my long-standing impostor syndrome definitely will be feeding into elements of the character, I'll say that much. (Though likely starting E on the 2nd whoooo)

Back