King's Academy for the Prodigious

[X] No! You're going to keep pushing this matter. You have to have him open up to you or he will keep getting into scuffles with Tycho. You need to show him that you're a reliable teacher that is always available to help.

So is anyone else thinking this group of choices actually could have some long-reaching implications for the class as a whole? It's our first day on the job and we don't exactly have much experience with people as far as I can tell. I could see this being how we define our interactions with the class as a whole, at least initially.

If that's the case then backing off is easily the worst choice because leaving a class which already has troublemakers surfacing alone is just waiting for trouble. The third option isn't much better because we aren't doing anything directly. We are just pawning the students off to someone else which doesn't really bring up the best image to them either.

Since we have to remember that they are watching us right now and will probably form an opinion of us based on how we handle this situation. If we don't have their respect early it'll probably be a hard uphill battle to earn it. And this is a magic high school so these kids can probably cause more trouble for us than a normal student could do for a regular teacher.

This brings me to the first option and my personal favorite. Pushing the issue and getting him to spill about the situation. This shows to the class that we are trying to be a proper teacher and stop any further fights directly, we get more information about the situation, and it literally says in the option that it shows that we are trying to appear reliable.

Yes, I know that push is already winning but I want there to be more discussion about this choice since I think its more important than it first appears.

There's a difference between ignoring the problems, and respecting his space. Pushing may not be for the best; we can still try to help him without trying to force him to talk about something he isn't comfortable talking about

Also, unless he goes out and immediately starts telling people what we talked about and what happened, people are literally right outside eavesdropping (or else have some sort of long-distance scrying ability), or we do something with a clear, traceable effect (sending him to the guidance counselor)...

How would any of the other class members know?

Also, unless he goes out and immediately starts telling people what we talked about and what happened, people are literally right outside eavesdropping (or else have some sort of long-distance scrying ability), or we do something with a clear, traceable effect (sending him to the guidance counselor)...

How would any of the other class members know?

The thing is that I expect for there to be people eavesdropping or having some kind of long-distance scrying ability. Not only is this a highschool, its a magic highschool.

Highschoolers tend to be nosy gossips at the best of times and with magic and likely just general racial traits for some (such as good hearing for the character with the Atalante picture), it should be extremely easy to eavesdrop on this conversation. Even if they don't have magic or racial traits that would make it easier, I wouldn't be surprised if someone is up against the door trying to listen in.

There was plenty of people like that back at my highschool and I expect the same kind of thing to apply here.

[X] No! You're going to keep pushing this matter. You have to have him open up to you or he will keep getting into scuffles with Tycho. You need to show him that you're a reliable teacher that is always available to help.

Inserted tally
Adhoc vote count started by Khawy on Jan 28, 2018 at 11:49 PM, finished with 26 posts and 13 votes.

• [X] No! You're going to keep pushing this matter. You have to have him open up to you or he will keep getting into scuffles with Tycho. You need to show him that you're a reliable teacher that is always available to help.
    [X] Maybe you should back off. As a fellow solitary creature, you can tell that he wanted to be left alone. Maybe he would be insulted if you don't trust him to handle his own problem. He was a delinquent after all.
    [x] If he refused to open up, fine. Send him to the guidance counselor, Mr. Eagle. If he refused your help, then maybe Mr. Eagle will have a better chance than you do. He was the go-to person for help after all.

The thing is that I expect for there to be people eavesdropping or having some kind of long-distance scrying ability. Not only is this a highschool, its a magic highschool.

Highschoolers tend to be nosy gossips at the best of times and with magic and likely just general racial traits for some (such as good hearing for the character with the Atalante picture), it should be extremely easy to eavesdrop on this conversation. Even if they don't have magic or racial traits that would make it easier, I wouldn't be surprised if someone is up against the door trying to listen in.

There was plenty of people like that back at my highschool and I expect the same kind of thing to apply here.

People aren't likely to go to someone for help if they feel like they're entering an interrogation room.

Hell, it's why people often hate visiting psychiatrists

People aren't likely to go to someone for help if they feel like they're entering an interrogation room.

Hell, it's why people often hate visiting psychiatrists

Except people still do go to psychiatrists because it's something important, not only to let these things out but also to work around them. Right now, we are his psychiatrist, even if a strange cthullhu alike one :D

Except people still do go to psychiatrists because it's something important, not only to let these things out but also to work around them. Right now, we are his psychiatrist, even if a strange cthullhu alike one :D

Yes, but the fact that people refuse to go see them even when they really, really should is actually a serious, ongoing issue

Many, many people choose personal comfort over good sense literally all the time

No, that we should put him in a position where he's willing to listen to help than being uncomfortable

I repeat, in case you forgot, we can help him without making him speak his discomfort

There's no need to get riled up, we are just talking. But if you see a reason, why not tell us, instead of aluding to it?

By the way, we are a monster from a place without time trying to teach adolescents full of strange and special powers. I don't think we trully need to be much gentle in our ways.

There's no need to get riled up, we are just talking. But if you see a reason, why not tell us, instead of aluding to it?

By the way, we are a monster from a place without time trying to teach adolescents full of strange and special powers. I don't think we trully need to be much gentle in our ways.

I may not agree with him on this vote, but I'm not seeing where he's getting riled up. Blade seems likes he's just talking calmly and restating his point of view.

If you have something to say, kindly say it without implying that I'm "getting riled up."

I also don't know what you mean by "see a reason", but I'm not alluding to anything.

As for "don't need to be much gentle in our ways", well

[] No! You're going to keep pushing this matter. You have to have him open up to you or he will keep getting into scuffles with Tycho. You need to show him that you're a reliable teacher that is always available to help.

As far as your vote goes, I'm not sure how realiable you're planning this character to be, because people aren't even gonna be willing to ask us for help if we stop being gentle.

I may not agree with him on this vote, but I'm not seeing where he's getting riled up. Blade seems likes he's just talking calmly and restating his point of view.

It's the tone,
I repeat, in case you forgot, we can help him without making him speak his discomfort
Barely seems to be camly talking.

If you have something to say, kindly say it without implying that I'm "getting riled up."

I also don't know what you mean by "see a reason", but I'm not alluding to anything.

As for "don't need to be much gentle in our ways", well

As far as your vote goes, I'm not sure how realiable you're planning this character to be, because people aren't even gonna be willing to ask us for help if we stop being gentle.

I am being kindly, and asking you to be aswell, because your wording surely wasn't the kind type.

Now, the alluding part, you are saying there are ways, but never saying which ways, thus you're alluding to them, and not stating them out. That's all, I'm not trying to pick a fight, as much as you seem to see it in me.

For being gentle, I meant this isn't a common school. Let's take from something known instead of speculations, so, batman and superman are friends. They have been for a while. They fought each other several times. Some were even gruesome, and some wasn't of their own fault (like when poison ivy seduced superman). But they kept being friends, and haven't held a grudge over this. Our students have abilities, sometimes higher or lower from this. If we be a little harsh, it won't break them. Besides, this here is not a obligatory common school, is a place to learn to be an adventurer, which is, incidentaly, a very hard, stressfull and deadly profession. They will come for us if we are good, not if we are kind, because after they're done with this school, they'll need to face the harsh world, and gentleness won't teach them the hard parts.

Okayyyyy......

Please don't argue whether someone is mad or not, it tends to make the person who is being accused actually get angry. I think we should all take a step back and not point any finger.

It's fine if you guys argue about stuff like the choices or what you think of the characters, but going at each other is a little bit much.

It's the tone,

Barely seems to be camly talking.

I am being kindly, and asking you to be aswell, because your wording surely wasn't the kind type. Now, the alluding part, you are saying there are ways, but never saying which ways, thus you're alluding to them, and not stating them out. That's all, I'm not trying to pick a fight, as much as you seem to see it in me.

I have literally, at no point, accused you of trying to pick a fight, stop putting words in my mouth. I asked you to stop saying I was angry when I wasn't, which you again have failed to do.

As for alluding, I don't know. There isn't anything at the moment. I'm saying that pushing is the wrong thing to do at this time, with an emphasis on potential future plans given the chance.

For being gentle, I meant this isn't a common school. Let's take from something known instead of speculations, so, batman and superman are friends. They have been for a while. They fought each other several times. Some were even gruesome, and some wasn't of their own fault (like when poison ivy seduced superman). But they kept being friends, and haven't held a grudge over this. Our students have abilities, sometimes higher or lower from this. If we be a little harsh, it won't break them. Besides, this here is not a obligatory common school, is a place to learn to be an adventurer, which is, incidentaly, a very hard, stressfull and deadly profession. They will come for us if we are good, not if we are kind, because after they're done with this school, they'll need to face the harsh world, and gentleness won't teach them the hard parts.

They are children. They go to people who they believe will understand them and help them without prying. They aren't robots, they don't go to people simply because they're the most effective, and kindness is not mutually exclusive with effectiveness. Simply because they are adventurers doesn't mean that they lack emotions.

In addition, don't you think getting him to open up to help him, instead of backing off and letting him solve it himself, is the "kinder" option?

I have literally, at no point, accused you of trying to pick a fight, stop putting words in my mouth. I asked you to stop saying I was angry when I wasn't, which you again have failed to do.

As for alluding, I don't know. There isn't anything at the moment. I'm saying that pushing is the wrong thing to do at this time, with an emphasis on potential future plans given the chance.

They are children. They go to people who they believe will understand them and help them without prying. They aren't robots, they don't go to people simply because they're the most effective, and kindness is not mutually exclusive with effectiveness. Simply because they are adventurers doesn't mean that they lack emotions.

In addition, don't you think getting him to open up to help him, instead of backing off and letting him solve it himself, is the "kinder" option?

I really don't see how you aren't saying that I'm picking a fight or something, but I won't argue the point.

You can look again, if you haven't seen, and see that I haven't sayd theyare mutually exclusive or that they are robots or something. All I sayd was they will look for who's good, not for whos kinder. If there are two people equally good but one is kinder, then yeah, they will choose the kinder one, but if he isn't as good as the other, it's hard to see them making the same choice.

About them being children, man, this is a medieval fantasy world. At least I assume the medieval kind, since we haven't seen anything modern yet. In this kinds of settings, adolescents of 13 years travel the world enslaving virtual gods to battle for fun and freinship (pokemon), a couple years older die and come back to fight for hell and sex (DxD), some of them will fight world destroying aliens when 8 (Dragon Ball Z), and so on and so on. I sayd it before, this is not a normal school, we are in a setting where even though we are monstruosities a lá cthullhu, we can still be beaten by some of these students. If we just present a kind face and let them be, they simply won't respect us. But more than that, if we do push him and solve the problem, why wouldn't he come back to us with more problems? He saw we can get it solved. As before, it's a matter of being good enough, not kind enough.

Nevermind emotions, nevermind mental development, nevermind that teenagers are not known for being perfectly rational actors.

Yeah, I can't see why you think what you do. It makes no sense.

Do you think our situation does make sense?
Within the fiction of the world? Absolutely.

There is also this little bit here:
According to your studies, mortals acted like buffoons at a certain age period, but then spontaneously lose most of that trait later in their life. So, in a way, you were observing a sacred ritual that will become obsolete in time.
Where we, in character, note that we don't expect our students to act entirely rationally. The information we have does not suggest these students will all, every one of them, prioritize 'effectiveness' over things like 'familiarity', 'comfort', and 'kindness'.

There will probably be exceptions. There could very well be some Sasuke-like student who doesn't give a shit about being friendly and just wants to get ahead.

The thing is, that type of character is usually treated as the weird one and overly serious.

Because I repeat, these are teenagers. They are not, as a rule, entirely rational actors, and you are assuming a lot with very little evidence if you say they will be.

About them being children, man, this is a medieval fantasy world. At least I assume the medieval kind since we haven't seen anything modern yet. In this kinds of settings, adolescents of 13 years travel the world enslaving virtual gods to battle for fun and friendship (pokemon), a couple years older die and come back to fight for hell and sex (DxD), some of them will fight world destroying aliens when 8 (Dragon Ball Z), and so on and so on. I said it before, this is not a normal school, we are in a setting where even though we are monstruosities a lá Cthulhu, we can still be beaten by some of these students. If we just present a kind face and let them be, they simply won't respect us. But more than that, if we do push him and solve the problem, why wouldn't he come back to us with more problems? He saw we can get it solved. As before, it's a matter of being good enough, not kind enough.

We've seen phones in multiple updates so this isn't a medieval fantasy world.

I doubt that any of the students here could beat us. They are underclassmen meaning they still have more training to do and I doubt that most students can even touch a teacher. Us presenting a kind face will likely make some of them respect us more than pushing on this problem. While pushing on this will make a different section of the class respect us more.

I think you're generalizing the class too much since this looks like an eclectic group and I'd imagine each option gives us rep from a different class section. Also I do want to point out that even if we solve his issue it doesn't mean he'll come back to us for problems. If we make him uncomfortable enough, then it doesn't matter if we solved his problem, he still won't want us to try and help him again. Kindness is a factor we need to always keep in mind.

Back