It's an Abyss, not Bottomless (kancolle SI)

Chapter 24: Of Doubts and Conversations
To: Bennett, Oscar
CC: N/A
Security Clearance: Secret – Receptor's Eyes Only

Subject: My Fleet's Well-being

Doctor Bennett,

No doubt you've heard of my approaching trial. I won't go into specifics, but there are many who have had their eye on my position for a long while. Some of the charges they bring to the table are believable, others less so. However, it is my conduct regarding Morgan and his situation that is under the most scrutiny.

At this point, the hearing is merely a formality. Within a month I will loose my position and possibly my rank. I do not know where I will go afterwards, but I need to insure the welling being of my fleet before it is taken out of my hands.

Nagato seems to be recovering well. Although, I have not received a straight answer out of her beyond 'I'm fine.' She is not fine, though she appears to be returning to her former self. Sending Morgan home appears to have been the right choice in that regard, for her and the entire fleet. His existence must be addressed at some point, but for now, they are slowly coming to terms about him.

However, Yamato worries me most of all. I'm sure you've heard of their meeting by now. She hasn't taken it well. I fear we now have two Lost Causes to worry about.

I would consider it a personal favor if you took charge in arranging their therapy. If what you say about Lost Causes is true, then it might be for the best if we do not use our base Physiologists until they know what they are dealing with.

As of yet, I am unsure who my replacement will be, which makes passing on my concerns regarding the girl's health that much more difficult. But, I hope the Committee can intercede and get my fleet the help they need, regardless of who is shoehorned into my position.

Sincerely,
Admiral Goto
JMSDF Kanmusu Corp
Yokosuka

----​

To: AdmiralGoto
Security Clearance: Secret – Receptor's Eyes Only

Subject: RE: My Fleet's Well-being

Admiral Goto,

Do not fear, Admiral, the health and safety of our girls is my top priority. Kannushi Isoroku volunteered to handle their case himself! I didn't know he was a licensed Psychologist, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. A perfect match, if I dare say so myself.

In regards to your situation, you have my upmost sympathies. However, I would not pack your bags just yet. We of the Committee are still deep in debate, but the general consensuses is that we must take a more active role in the war. Morgan's testimony has forced us to reevaluate everything and it has thrown our organization into a little bit of turmoil. However, the Abyss is something we cannot afford to ignore.

If that requires military action then we will need a prepared strike force. Even in these early deliberations, you are a prime candidate to lead this charge. You have experience commanding Kanmusu and are, most critically, are already briefed on the Abyss.

I don't know how long it'll take, but you'll soon become a member of the Committee yourself. With your help, hopefully we can end this war once and for all.

Cheerio,
Doctor Bennett

----​

Breakfast was an awkward affair, not for any lack of trying on his parent's part. He could barely carry a conservation; the seven year gap continued to be a constant barrier. So much had happened and yet whenever he tried to broach the topic, irrational guilt strangled him. It was his own family, after all! He should have known these things!

He felt like a stranger in his own home.

And while Eli might have been brave enough to shake his hand, that was as far as the kids were willing to go. They were barely comfortable being in the same room as him. No matter how much the adults tried to reassure them throughout the meal, they watched him like a wolf who was about to eat them too.

So to put them at ease, William finished quickly and announced that he needed a walk. Of course, they offered to come with him, but he needed the time alone. To think. The irony wasn't lost on him, but had to do something. And so the wind became his only company along the dusty roads, following a trail he had walked his whole life. Up and down the rolling hills, surrounded by the scent of spring, grass, manure, and dust...

It was peaceful. So why did it feel so strange to him?

For hours he trudged down the road, hearing the gravel crunch under his feet, the wind rustling his hair. An environment so far removed from the Abyss he could have walked for hours simply basking in the nostalgia and waving at passing vehicles that covered him in clouds of dust. Only his familiarity with the area kept him from getting lost in the backcountry. But the further he went, part of him didn't want to return.

There was nothing stopping him from just... walking. To keep going until he eventually found something – anything – less complicated than family.

The only thing that made him stop was the small plot cut out of one of the fields, surrounded by a low white fence. Neat rows of tombstones filled the County Cemetery, the number of which had grown substantially since he last saw it.

Morbid curiosity drew him in, and he began examining each stone one by one.

The cemetery was an old place and suffered from a lack of organization. No one was truly at fault; just a combination of different people from different generations and families, each envisioning the cemetery in their own way throughout the decades. Because of this, the front rows were the oldest and most scattered. Old, monolithic stones with names and dates, but not much else. There were more gaps in the mismatched rows here than anywhere else. Places where family members were expected to be buried, but never were.

It was a problem no one had the heart to fix. Exhuming the bodies purely to fix organization was a revolting thought.

The tombstones became more elaborate the deeper he went. Polished blocks of marble as opposed to the bare stone of his ancestors. And the names grew more familiar as well. Great grandparents, great aunts and uncles, and members of other families who had inhabited the land around them. Even a few that had been brought back from the States to be buried here.

There was no real sense of loss in this section; most had died long before he was born and the rest had passed on before he was old enough to remember them.

Near the back, however, were the more familiar names... far more than he remembered. Most of the pictures embedded in the tombstones were of seniors, their faces wrinkled with age but still smiling brightly. And while their deaths did bring a sense of melancholy, there was no true grief surrounding it.

Death was just a fact of life. Besides, they were some of the happiest people he'd known; grey-haired folk who would stay and chat for hours after church, but were well and truly ready to pass on. They always said it was only a matter of time before they met their Saviour.

His stomach churned uncomfortably, setting the tone of his visit long before he arrived at a particular pair of graves.

The stone on the left was simple; a large rock they had pulled from one of the fields. About half the size of his torso, it was large enough to fit the engraving of a cross, a baby's rattle, a name, and a single date.

Eli Morgan the first. The pregnancy had been a long, brutal affair for his parents, beset with more complications than he thought possible. The risk of losing them both had grown with each month. As frightening as those times were, he had to admire his mom's resolve to carry Eli to term. And after much hardship, his little brother was born.

He lived for twenty minutes. Enough to see him baptized and held by each member of the family.

It only made sense to put brothers together. The tombstone on the right was his own.

Learning about his own funeral had been a strange experience, but actually seeing the stone... Well, if he was being perfectly honest, it brought a profound sense of second-hand embarrassment.

The thing was made of limestone for crying out loud. His name and rank were carved beneath the crest of the RCR, framed by a maple leaf. To either side were short excerpts about duty and sacrifice that he could barely stomach. The stone was beautifully made, there was no doubt about that. Commissioned by a grieving family who only wished to do their son justice. Never in a million years could he fault them for that, but with all the embellishment you'd think a war hero was buried here.

That couldn't have been further from the truth.

Sure he loved his job and took pride in his accomplishments, but in the grand scheme of things he hadn't accomplished much. He hadn't been to Afghanistan or Iran, and his military accolades never extended past the training area. He was just some dumb infantry fuck who'd gotten lost in the woods and was never found.

While he couldn't blame his family for this, it felt like stolen valor on his part. Better men than him had died and received less than this.

A third stone caught his attention, small enough that he almost missed it. Nestled between its larger compatriots, it was a glorified placard more than anything else. There were no names or dates, just a few simple lines.

'Brothers in Christ.
One was pure and the other served.
Grant them peace, mercy, and rest
until they welcome us home at last.'

Silence.

The wind that had kept him company faltered as it often did. The rustle of grass died away, the birds paused for breath, and the song of the entire world seemed to hang between notes.

All that remained was the preternatural silence he'd known for months.

Even the clouds in the sky seemed to be falling around him.

Then the wind covered it up once again with a gentle gust, pushing the world back into motion. William gasped, letting out the breath he didn't realize he was holding.

Throughout his life, faith and truth had always gone hand in hand. The consequence of being a cradle catholic. They were one and the same, to varying degrees of devotion. He couldn't claim to be a good follower of Christ, but he didn't think he was a bad one either.

He just... believed; doing his best to live a good life. And then a walk through the woods caused faith and truth to veer off in wildly different directions. His experience split his convictions easier than an axe on wood.

When he was trapped, faith had been his focus. His single bright light in that darkness. Assurance that when he died, his soul was meant for something greater. This nightmare would eventually end, one way or another. It was that belief, hope, and even fear that kept him going through that eternal silence. He wanted it to end, but how could you face judgment knowing that you were guilty in the sight of your God?

True, he had always been a believer... but he hadn't been truly faithful until he realized that he would live the rest of his life on that battleship. Trapped in that place, death was the only promise the Abyss could give.

It was only natural he did everything he could to ensure he would be on the right side of the pearly gates. Nothing lit a fire under your ass quite like the threat of eternal damnation. Trying every day to atone for a life that he wasted; hoping, praying... fearing. That faith carried him down to the bottom of the Maelstrom and stood with him at Rokkasho.

Then he awoke in this new world; learned about the war, Kanmusu... and discovered what he was.

A walking, talking boat.

His thoughts and feelings had been all over the place, impossible to mediate on while in Japan. But now, after meeting his family again... he felt violated on a spiritual level. The Abyss had replaced his heart with boilers so easily he never even noticed. If he had died at Rokkasho, it would have been with the comforting belief that he was still human. That he was going to a better place.

He didn't even have that anymore.

He was no longer human, and that truth shook him to his core. More than having his insides replaced by steel, it was the power of the Abyss that scared him the most. What did escaping its realm matter when he was the living embodiment of its power? A man turned battleship. Flesh and blood molded into something else.

He'd been taught long ago that God was the master of all things. That all things followed His plan, both good and evil. That was what his faith said.

Now though... now he wasn't so sure. The truth of what he had seen, felt, and experienced was impossible to ignore.

Did that mean he had been living a lie his whole life?

He took a deep breath, trying to calm his racing heart. Nothing got the blood pumping quite like an existential crisis. And as he ignored the blatant fallacy within that comparison, he distracted himself with Eli's tombstone.

"Hey there, little brother," he whispered, throat tight. "So... I guess you had a front-row seat to it all, huh?"

He tried to smile but the expression fell flat.

"I, uh... I guess... I..."

He hated how hollow the words felt. Empty. Exasperating the conflict that plagued him ever since he got home. The Abyss drove a wedge between him and everything he loved. How could he say Jesus was Lord when he'd seen evidence to the contrary? How could he say it was the grace of God that carried him through that hellscape when it was the Abyss who spat him out like this?

It was hard to know what you believed after living through that. Harder still to admit it.

Every time his parents mentioned the faith, proclaiming that their prayers had been answered after seven long years made his gut clench uncomfortably. He felt like a fraud. Nodding along with each prayer of thanks, but unable to admit that it meant almost nothing to him.

He didn't know what was true anymore.

Was his baby brother up there listening... or was he just spouting off at nothing? Less than nothing. For all he knew there was no heaven, just that endless expanse of silence. Did that mean all the people in this cemetery were the lucky ones; dying in the comfort of a faith he no longer possessed?

He turned and left, unable to bear the judgmental presence of a damned rock.

He never noticed the roads leading him back to the homestead, trying to quell his churning doubts. He was so deep in his thoughts that the weak shout was startling. Glancing around, he realized he'd paused at the entrance to a short driveway. The white-sided house at the end wasn't his parent's, but it was one he was intimately familiar with, nonetheless.

Nothing about it had changed, save for the vinyl siding dulling with age. It was a modest two stories, with an enclosed deck, and an attached garage. It was the most modern building on the farm, despite it being constructed in the 1990s.

The shout – though now it sounded more of a strangled cry – came again, drawing William's attention to the walker shuffling out of the front door. The wizened old man pushing it had far more wrinkles than humanly possible. His clothes hung off his withered frame and his thick mop of hair had turned to white straw.

The walker bounced over pebbles and potholes, clearly not meant for this kind of terrain. But that didn't stop the old man who shuffled towards him with every ounce of strength he had left. Tears leaked around his thick-rimmed glasses, his face twisted into such an expression of grief and disbelief it was painful to watch.

Once the shock wore off, William ran and met him halfway. Letting out a strangled cry, the old man pushed his walker aside and threw his arms around William's waist, sobbing into his chest.

"It's you!" he cried, squeezing as tight as he could. "It's really you!"

"Hey Grandpa," William whispered, returning the embrace as carefully as he could. He had never felt his potential one hundred fifty thousand horsepower more acutely than in that moment. One wrong move could break the old man like a twig. "Please don't cry, you're gonna make me cry."

He didn't listen, of course; welcoming his grandson back with tears of joy.

----​

Unfortunately, the inside of the house wasn't as timeless. Multiple renovations had been done during his absence, removing closets and widening hallways to compensate for his Grandpa's declining mobility. But aside from that, it retained the homely atmosphere that he remembered.

The living room and kitchen were only separated by a long island. Against the far wall, a wide glass cabinet held a wide collection of antique cutlery, dishes, and other knickknacks. It seemed the only antique they'd removed was the old CRT TV, and a wide plasma screen sat proudly in its place. Dozens of pictures were hung about the room, with a couple of wide shots taken of the whole extended family.

He was notably abducent from those.

"You want some coffee?"

Once he managed to compose himself, old Cecil Morgan's voice regained a little of his rich baritone. Those seven years had stolen away the rest. Still, for a man pushing 90, he was still fairly mobile. As he led William into the kitchen, he pushed the walker into a corner and shuffled around using the counters to support himself as he searched the pantry. "I, uh, I have hot chocolate if you want to make it a mocha."

"Coffee is good, thanks," William replied, leaning down to the drawer where all the mugs were kept. He nearly tore it out of the counter as his Grandpa 'Eeped!' in a way that brokered no room for augment.

"Eep eep! I'm making you coffee. Go sit down, I can do it."

The way his knees trembled as he leaned over did not inspire confidence.

"But, Grandpa..."

"Eep!! I told you, I have it! Now sit down, I'm taking care of you today."

Despite his protests, William had no choice but retreat to the table under his Grandpa's glare. All the same, he watched like a hawk as the old man shuffled around the kitchen, pulling out various ingredients for something more than a cup of coffee.

"It keeps me busy," his Grandpa explained as he spooned large spoonfuls of powder into a mug. "I sit in my chair too much as it is. Everyone says need my exercise, and this is me getting it."

"Can't argue with that," William chuckled, then stalled as he tried to find the words. "So, uh... how are you feeling?"

"Oh, you know. Old. But that hasn't changed much. I've felt old for a while. But how are you feeling?"

The concern on his face was palpable, made worse by eyes that were still red from crying. For the longest moment, William couldn't answer. There was so much he wanted to say, but none of it felt right.

"...I don't know," he lied, ducking his head. "It's just... too much to handle sometimes."

That was true, at least.

A plate was placed before him, a pile of chocolate bars on one side and a steaming mug on the other. According to the smell, it was coffee in only the loosest sense of the word. There was so much hot chocolate mix stirred in that it might as well have been pure sugar. The thick layer of mini marshmallows on top helped tip the concoction from a beverage to liquid diabetes.

"They're from my secret stash," his Grandpa whispered, tapping one of the chocolate bars with a wink. "Your mother has been hiding all my candy when he comes over to clean. Oh, that gets me so fired up when I can't find anything."

That brought a wry smile. It certainly sounded like his mother. "She's just looking out for you."

"Oh, phusss." He waved a hand, grumbling to himself. "Taking care of me, bah. I'm gonna be dead soon anyway, I want things to taste good."

He tapped the plate and all it's sugary goodness. "Now eat up! And I won't hear any 'buts' out of you, ya hear?"

Under the old man's watchful eye, William had no choice but to comply, unwrapping a motley collection of Aero bars, Caramilks, and a disproportionate amount of Snickers. Apparently, his Grandpa had taken their slogan to heart over the years.

Easing into the chair next to him with a grunt, his Grandpa began to nurse his own foam-capped mug. When he did speak, the tremble to his words was heartbreaking. "So... help me understand what happened, please. E-Everyone said you went missing years ago, but... you came back, I... I don't understand, where did you go? Why did you leave?"

The chocolate caught in William's throat. It wasn't an accusation, but it sure as hell stung like one.

"I..." he sighed. "It wasn't my choice to leave."

"You were kidnapped?"

"Kinda... In a matter of speaking."

But judging from his Grandpa's expression, that alone wouldn't be enough to satisfy him. But as he finished recounting his stay in Japan, it dawned on William just how... insincere his tale sounded. It had more black ink than a bar code; skipping from New Brunswick to popping up in the Atlantic with less finesse than The Last Jedi.

And the half lies only made his Grandpa's confusion worse.

For a long minute after he finished, an uncomfortable silence filled the air. William could almost feel the Abyss taunting him with its presence.

"So, uh... this is another one of your military secrets, then?" his Grandpa asked.

It took William a moment to remember what he was talking about and the answer made him chuckle. Leave it to his Grandpa to remember how he played up possible deployments as big military secrets.

"Yeah, I guess so," he said, shaking his head ruefully. "Just this time it's... slightly more serious."

"Oh... well, we don't have to talk about that then. I understand. I don't want you breaking any rules or anything. Just..." He stared off into the distance for a moment before shaking himself back to alertness. "Oh... this damned war makes me remember those Vietnam days. It was in the news almost every day. You couldn't go two hours without hearing about the Communists or how many people died over there. Why, just yesterday they were talking about some city and..."

He paused, jaw moving soundlessly before he perked up again. "Sorry, my memory is going a little foggy, but... oh, it's just like back then. People dying all over the place, saying we're making we're making progress, ships coming back as people."

He shook his head, then leaned over with a knowing smirk. "I might not understand most of it, but at least they're easy to look at, am I right?"

William snorted. "True."

"So where was I... ah, yes. So things keep getting worse and then a few weeks ago, we get a story from Japan saying how one of their new battleships went ahead an' saved their entire country! And I-I can't remember the name, but... they're calling you the same thing."

"Musashi." William nodded, staring down into his mug. "That's the name you're looking for."

"So then... everything they said on the news is true?"

"I doubt it. I haven't seen any news in a long time, so I couldn't tell you."

In fact, he was avoiding it like the plague. Who knew what stories were circulating about him. He was already a controversial topic in Japan, he didn't want to think about his reputation here. He would have to face it eventually, but not today. Hopefully not for a long while.

"But it was you?" His Grandpa leaned forward, eyes watering again. "You did this?"

William couldn't help shake his head. "I saved a town called Rokkasho. I don't know where this talk about me saving all of Japan came from and – Grandpa, are you alright?"

The old man had stood, his lips trembling as he hobbled forward as fast as he could. Worried that he was having a stoke for something, William jumped forward, only to be ensnared in another tearful embrace.

"Oh, my little Willy," his Grandpa sobbed, wrapping his arms as far around his waist as he could reach. "I am so proud of you. All this death in the world makes me so sad. I've been praying for years, but it never seems to get any better. And then... and then you come back and saved all those people! Oh, you give this old man so much hope."

Unease coiled in William's gut as the subject of faith was brought up. This time, however, he refused to let it linger, and crushed it with every ounce of will power he could muster. It would not poison this moment; not a single chance in hell. But as his Grandpa clung to him like a lifeline, a new sense of shame came rushing in.

His fears had been groundless; they didn't care that he was a battleship, welcoming him back. If he had claimed to know them so well, why had the fear of rejection ever crossed his mind? They loved him regardless.

"I've been an idiot," he smiled, ruefully, as all the fear and doubt seemed to drain.

They welcomed him back with open arms. Even with all the doubt and uncertainty, the least he could do was return the favor. Yes, he had suffered, yes, he was confused, but it wasn't fair that he was heaping that pain on everyone else.

The remark earned a light slap from the old man as he wiped the tears from his eyes. "Oh, don't say that. Now sit down, I'm making you lunch."

Again, he had no choice but to comply, simply savoring the peaceful calm as his Grandpa shuffled around, pulling out bread, cheese, and a dozen other ingredients that didn't belong on a grilled cheese sandwich. But that was one thing about Grandpa: while he hadn't been the baker of the pair – his Grandma claimed that award a hundred times over – grilled cheese sandwiches were his specialty. And the last seven years had not dulled those skills in the slightest.

Soon, William was drowning in nostalgia as the familiar smells began to fill the kitchen. Melting butter and toast, mixed with the aroma of seasoning salt. Harkening back to days when he was a good deal smaller and life was not so complicated.

"Desu?"

Then reality reasserted itself with all the subtlety of a brick.

Gremlin was on his shoulder, taking in her surroundings with a dubious expression. Then her gaze trailed down to his half finished mug. While the concoction might have been sweet, it generally resembled a muddy swamp. And the look of disdain the fairy gave it was usually reserved for a porta potty left out in the sun for the last five years.

That look turned to horror as she saw William's fingers wrapped around the handle.

"D-Desu."

Never once breaking eye contact, William raised the mug and took a long draft. She gagged.

"I mean, it's pure sugar, yeah, but it's still good."

"Desu!"

"What this then?"

Gremlin squealed as his Grandpa's face came into view, scant inches away from her own. She slipped, lost her footing, and would have landed face-first on the table if William hadn't caught her. Regardless, she still banished a tiny fist, swearing profusely as the old man leaned in for a closer examination.

"Why... why does it look like a dog?"

"No idea. Anyway, Grandpa, this is Gremlin. Gremlin, my Grandpa."

The old man squinted at the tiny creature, a gesture which was turned with gusto and substantially more suspicion. "But, what is it?"

"It's... a fairy," William stated, at a complete loss as to how to explain its existence. "Apparently all ships need a crew so I got these guys running around inside me. Kinda freaky when you think about it."

"...oh... oh, now I remember. I think I've heard of them before." He waggled a finger in Gremlin's direction. "Don't you go anywhere, I'll be right back."

"Desu?" Confused at the gesture, Gremlin watched the old man shuffle over to dig in a cupboard. Her confusion only doubled as he returned, unwrapping an Aero bar that was almost a third larger both her entire body and hat combined.

"Here you go, little gal," Grandpa said, gently lowering the brown bar into her stubs. "Eat up, you look like skin and bones."

But she was so bewildered by the chocolate bar she didn't seem to hear him. Like a cat placed in front of a mirror for the first time, the brown substance was a strange and unfamiliar entity. She didn't know what it was and had even less of an idea about what to do with it.

"It's chocolate," William said when she gave him a quizzical look. He mimed popping something into his mouth and chewing. "You eat it. It's good."

She 'ahed', then offered the bar to him. "Desu."

"Uh, no thanks, I got plenty already. Besides, it's yours."

"Desu." She 'offered' it more forcefully. "Desu!"

"We really got to work on this language barrier."

"Desu!" She took a deep breath, about to break into another tirade when Grandpa slapped a hand on the table with a force belying his age.

"Eep! None of that now! There'll be no shouting in this house, you understand, young lady?"

Despite her lack of English, the tone said it all. She nodded frantically, holding the chocolate bar to her side like a rifle at attention. Even William straightened involuntarily. He'd heard that tone one too many times growing up and it never ended well.

"Good. Now eat up before it melts. If you're so worried about Willy here I'll get him some more too."

"What? No, Grandpa, I'm..."

But the old man was already shuffling away.

"...fine."

Despite his protests, he couldn't stop smiling. Seven years might have passed but not a damn thing about his Grandpa had changed.

In the meantime, Gremlin was locked in a conundrum. Unable to pawn the bar off to him, she didn't appear to know what to do with it. Which didn't make sense. William knew they could eat; he could feel the kitchen embedded in his hull working non-stop and fairies running around delivering meals to various sections. They still needed sustenance, but why was this so much trouble?

Eventually, with a little bit of prompting, Gremlin took a tiny nibble off a corner, her face screwed up like she expected it to taste like poop or something.

That expression quickly melted off her face, replaced by what could only be described as pure rapture. And when she looked at the chocolate again, it was with disbelief that such a large treat was hers and hers alone.

She plopped down on her butt and began gnawing the bar with a sound not unlike a hungry hamster, almost squealing with delight as her cheeks bulged like a chipmunk.

"Hungry little thing, ain't she," Grandpa said, distractedly dropping more chocolate bars onto William's plate as he sat, watching Gremlin devour her chocolate with gusto. The fairy paused only long enough to give him a brilliant, chocolate-stained smile before returning to stuffing her face. "Kinda reminds me of you, actually."

William snorted. "Yeah, I was a pretty fat kid, wasn't I? Well, she might not like me, but I think you made a friend for life."

"Oh, what's left of it anyway. But don't worry, I still have a few more years left in me. I told Eli I'd go see his championship game, after all. It might not be this year, but he'll get there eventually."

Eli played hockey?

He hadn't even thought to ask if they played any sports, too caught up in his own damn misery. Well, enough was enough. Fuck being miserable, the rest of his family was glad to have him back and here he was being a selfish stick in the mud.

Fuck that.

He might have lost seven years, but he wasn't going to stretch that out even further because of his own stupidity. They were all willing to welcome him back, the very least he could do was accept the invitation. He wasn't trapped in the Abyss anymore and it was about damn time he started acting like it.

With that conviction, he pealed a bar and popped more chocolate in his mouth. Putting on a smile, he asked. "He is a good player?"

"Oh, better than me, anyway."

And as the conversation drifted to lighter topics, it was the most freedom he had felt in months. A ray of sunshine in the turbulent waters of his life. Whatever existential crisis awaited him in the future, he was determined to savor this time for as long as possible. He had waited long enough already.

----​

Who knew a dismissal could inspire so much dread. From the time she stepped into the Admiral's office to her walking out, the inevitable confrontation tip-toed ever closer. She had gone on back-to-back patrols just to prolong her sanity, but now even the Admiral was hanging her out to dry.

The worst part was that he did it as a reward. A few precious days of rest in between the packed schedule of patrols, convoy escort, and dozens of other small assignments. Fortunately, there was light at the end of the tunnel. The USN was ramping up its summoning efforts the load was beginning to even out. It was slow going, but small patches of white space were starting to peek through the cracks, providing the vessels of the Japanese fleet with recoupment that went beyond a few hours in the bath.

Her sense of duty had run her ragged; prowling up and down the coast as only a battleship could, daring any Abyssal to try their luck.

Of course, all her efforts accomplished was getting her to the top of the list for a break. And though Iowa was a little dubious about Yamato taking her place, it might just do the girl some good. Resupply costs be damned, she needed something to distract herself with. It was uncanny seeing the bright and happy battleship reduced to a shell of her former self.

But now, with the Admiral turning her loose, did the real trial begin. If only he knew the kind of madness he had unleashed. While she was a loyal friend and ally of Japan, she had her own motives for the constant patrols. Motives that could be summarized with a simple trip down to her CIC.

Buried deep in her hull, in a dark corner of her Combat Information Center, lay a persistent menace. Her various officers and crewmen avoided it like the plague. But for the poor rating assigned to monitoring the subject, there was no relief or promise of safety; just hours upon hours of watching Iowa's phone buzz with a constant barrage of messages.

In the span of a single press conference the entirety of the USN, RN, and even the Russians had degraded from proud and honorable vessels of war to desperate housewives. If the press conference wasn't bad enough, within hours Yokosuka was starting to resemble the Japanese Edo period due to the rapid adoption of isolationist tendencies.

William was already a controversial topic, and when all conversation with the outside world revolved around the man, cutting contact was the easiest solution. In fact, their constant badgering had eroded patience to such a degree that even Kaga, William's most staunch defender aside from Kongou and herself, had to hang up the towel and furtively ignore the outside world.

In her own words, she was a witness for his honor and spirit, not a spokesman for his taste in women. As soon as they wanted to speak of that she would break her vow of silence. There were only so many times she could be asked how 'bunker size translated down south' before she snapped and when full Bushido.

And in a twist of irony, the outside fleets were outright avoiding contact with Kongou after one offhanded remark about exchanging Goto for the latest model. Her defense of the Admiral's honor was swift and merciless, backed by a terrifyingly large amount of blackmail. Who knew that threats of tea parties could sound so malevolent?

As contacts continued to dry up, Iowa quickly found herself nominated as the unwilling last woman standing; bearing the brunt of the combined sexual tension of the world's Kanmusu.

And really, she had no choice in the matter. It was a necessary sacrifice; better the devil you knew and all that. She'd suffer a little embarrassment now than try and explain why the Russian were joining the Germans in a Blitzkrieg through the Sea of Japan.

That being said... she had put off the conversation for as long as possible using patrols as an excuse. For all their desperation, the other girls understood that getting distracted via texts while sortieing was a very bad move for everyone involved. So while they didn't throw up a fuss when she didn't reply, that didn't stop them from flooding her inbox to ensure she didn't forget.

Hence the reason why she had her phone monitored at all times. She couldn't just ignore it, something important might come up.

But that poor Able Seaman. At first, she had kept half an eye on the fairy, reading the various notifications through its eyes... but when things took a turn for the strange she walked away. Entirely.

The ship was tantamount to god for the fairies, so this poor Able Seaman was forced to endure the sexual fantasies of almost every capital ship in the world while knowing that Iowa had abandoned her for that very reason.

But now that Iowa was dismissed from duty, she had no excuse. Even as she squeezed into her bikini and slipped into a repair bath for maintenance, the Able Seaman reported that her allies were throwing her under the bus. Sure, normally there was nothing wrong with saying that a ship was getting into the baths, if not for the fact it killed any chance of further procrastination.

Shooting a glare at Kaga, who pointedly ignored her with resolute stoicism from across the room, Iowa retrieved her phone from her CIC, granting her Able Seaman mercy as she was forced to watch the scrolling messages with her own eyes.

By now most of her conversations had unread messages in the high triple digits. And the private chatroom with her sisters had crossed into the thousands territory long ago. But as she watched, the messages shifted from 'are you free yet' to blatant threats if she didn't respond.

That prompted a groan.

She loved her sisters, sure, but why the fuck did they have to be like this?

But the number of messages from the Russians outnumbered them all by two full digits. It all started with Gangut professing her conversion to capitalism and then immediately offering to buy William from the Japanese. The problem arose once the rest of Severomorsk caught onto her tactics. Before Iowa knew what was happening, her correspondence with the Russians had become an impromptu auction house. Not only for the battleship himself but also for one-night stands with him and who would get it first.

Currently, the highest bid would bankrupt both Russia and the United States twice over. Not that Gangut cared about such a trivial matter.

As Iowa watched, Gangut was outbid by her sister by an amount that would put the world into generational debt for the next millennium.

And as the messages continued to flow in, Iowa's shoulders sagged. It was the Joakim situation all over again, only this time she was on the receiving end. Now she understands why the band got that restraining order.

Realizing she had no choice, he tapped into the general chatroom all shipgirls frequented and started a call. All activity froze and her notifications went silent. Ten seconds later the call crashed under an avalanche of noise as hundreds tried to join all at once.

After three more failed attempts, Iowa laid down the law. A few terse minutes of organization and one private chatroom later, the interrogation was able to begin.

Unsurprisingly, her sisters had taken the lead on the US side of the conversation.

Missouri was the first to join, her grinning visage replaced by the interior of the San Francisco repair baths. Most of the capital ships based on the West Coast who were still afloat were present, lounging in the baths alongside their cruiser escorts, grinning with downright predatory looks. The destroyers splashing around with pool toys in the background didn't appear to care less.

Iowa couldn't help but swallow nervously as Wisconsin signed on next, bringing the residences of the New York repair baths with her.

Even if they were watching her like hungry wolves, Iowa was relieved that her sisters were merely bathing for maintenance. The horrendous damage they had suffered during Cutback was long since healed, allowing the family resemblance to show through once again.

Or, what little of it was left; they were curious examples of how prolonged existence as a steel hull affected your appearance as a Kanmusu. Missouri was the prime example of this, her toned arms and legs made her more of an amazon than Iowa's supermodel grace. A deep tan covered her from head to toe, even dyeing her long hair a dirty blonde. Intricate tribal tattoos ran the length of her arms and legs, completing the image of a tribal native of Hawaii.

In sharp contrast, Wisconsin embodied a nerdy aesthetic. Her skin was a downright luminescent shade of pale that no amount of sunbathing seemed to change. The fact she normally wore nothing but heavy sweaters and other modest coverings didn't help. Square, red rimmed glasses completed the image.

Although, one of the Iowas was notably absent. New Jersey's sinking cut deeper than Iowa expected, even if that meant she wouldn't have to put up with her libido.

Warspite joined the call after a few moments, bringing the Devonport Wardroom with her. They were followed in short order by the Germans, French, and-

"What?" Iowa stared at one of the new arrivals in disbelief. "Uh, sorry, I just didn't expect you to be here Conce... Conca... Cana - dammit."

"Immacolata Concezione," the old steam frigate finished, inclining her head with a demure smile. Her headdress and robes, reminiscent of a nun with the usual shipgirl combative flare, rustled with the movement. "I'm not offended Iowa, don't worry. It can be a bit of a mouthful for you youngsters."

"Uh...well..."

Indeed, the whole chatroom had paused awkwardly as the frigate's face took front and center. And when she cocked her head with a mischievous smile, it only made the hole in her forehead all the more apparent. Jagged wooden splinters ringed the wound.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but shouldn't you be in a bath or something?"

"It is hard to rest while children of God suffer in this place. The Abyssals found hostages buried in bunkers on Gallipoli, people who were not able to make it out in time. They are using them as deterrents to a Nuclear response but their living conditions are... horrendous. I and the rest of the Papal Navy leave on a mission of mercy tonight to relieve their suffering."

"They'll just shoot you, my dear," said Queen Elizabeth, coming up beside Warspite on the phone's screen. "I respect what you're proposing, but you'll be lucky if you get within sight of the coast before they torpedo you. You're in rough shape as it is!"

"We have sunk before, young lady, and it hasn't stopped us yet," Concezione replied, smirking as the battleship spluttered indignantly. "Besides, if they're taking hostages now, surely they wouldn't say no to more."

She clapped her hands. "But enough about doom and gloom, I hear there's a man about!"

That only seemed to stun the group further. Finally, Iowa managed to splutter, "...but, haven't you taken a vow of... what's it called?"

"Celibacy, deary. And no, we haven't. The Papal Navy isn't strictly a holy order and doesn't require such things. That is why I'm here." She leaned back in her chair, clasping her hands together. Under normal circumstances this pose would have left a dignified impression of a pious nun. Given the subject matter, however, she might as well have been an evil genus plotting to take over the world. Her next words, said with a sly smirk, only sealed the deal. "Planning for the future."

"ONE HUNDRED MILLION TRILLION RUBL-"

Sound blasted over the call as the Russians finally connected, lasting only a second before Iowa slammed her finger on the mute button. Through the small window on her phone, the Russian common room was in complete chaos. At first, Gangut's face filled the screen, mouthing another bid before the phone was yanked away and her sister, Marat, took her place. The phone was yanked away again and seemed to be stuck in the middle of a tug-of-war between the two dreadnoughts.

Then it stabilized for long enough to show Gangut suplexing her sister through a table. The shower of splinters was lost in another blur of movement as whoever held the phone started running when Gangut turned her eyes on them.

Thankfully, the madness was interrupted as Warspite tutted loudly, forcing the call back to her as she sipped her tea in a distinctly threatening British manner.

"One would think you're a little old for such things, Concezione."

A dangerous glint flashed across the frigate's eyes. "If by old you mean low maintenance, polished, and thirty thousand tons lighter, then thank you for the compliment, dear!"

As Warpite spluttered indignantly into her tea, Missouri took the lead, leaning back in the bath with an easygoing smile and pushing her more... prestigious assets into view. "I don't know, he seems like a more modern man. Engines and oil over sails and coal. I mean, have you seen these puppies?"

"Yes yes, and you had enough room to fit the entire Japanese surrender delegation below decks as well," Concezione said without skipping a beat, making the Iowa stutter and blush. "Now, dears, my time is precious. If I am to go to the bottom tonight, I shall do it with God's name on my lips and hope for the future when I come back. So, Iowa, tell me about him."

"Uh..." Taken aback by the frigate's ruthlessness, Iowa hesitated as she leaned into the camera. As did everyone else at the mention of their target. "Well, uh... w-what do you want to know?"

"Dick size!" Someone off screen shouted.

"You can start by explaining his name," Concezione interjected smoothly. "And can someone please smack – ah, thank you."

"What do you mean?"

"He's not Musashi," said a new voice, heralding Prince of Wales taking front and center in the call. A few other girls were clustered behind her in the Truk common room, all with varying expressions of concern. "Don't lie to me, Iowa, please. If that was a male version of Musashi then I doubt Yamato would be in such a state."

"Indeed," Concezione nodded. "Your Admiral called him William Morgan, and I just so happened to find eulogy a few hours ago with the same name and face." She paused for a moment.

"I... I have no words for it. Please, Iowa, what's the story?"

"Wait, a eulogy?!" Wisconsin pipped up, adjusting her glasses. "He didn't die, he just went missing!"

Leave it to Wisky to find the obscure facts, little nerd that she was. However, her hobby of trawling the internet for urban legends sparked a heated debate in the call. Most hadn't known the man went missing in 2019 and vehemently denied the connection between him and the battleship who walked ashore. It was so outlandish that even Iowa had to admit she would have rejected it entirely.

...even after talking with William directly, it was still hard to believe.

And as the call began to devolve into a cesspit of name calling, Iowa rolled her eyes and dove in.

"Guys, look, as weird as it sounds, its the truth.

Everyone went silent and still, even the muted Russians. Taking a breath, Iowa continued. "William confirmed it himself; he's that same guy who went missing. He had ID to prove it and everything."

She then went on to recount the events of William's hearing. Or rather the lack thereof. They'd all been locked out and Nagato was the only shipgirl allowed be present for the proceedings. No one knew what happened behind those closed doors, but Admiral Goto had come out and given the all-clear. He believed William's story, whatever it was.

But not even his seal of approval could fill the gaping hole of Williams's existence. Whatever secrets the man had, they were being kept under tight lock and key. Not even Nagato was saying a word, and she seemed to despise the man!

Although... if William's passing remark in the baths was any indication., did she really want to know?

Though Iowa wasn't a battleship that was easily spooked, that single mention of the Abyss made her increasingly uneasy. William hadn't even known what a Kanmusu was, let alone anything about the war, and yet he mentioned the Abyss like he'd known it his whole life. It didn't make sense.

She'd known that Abyssals and Kanmusu were two sides of the same coin, but this? It was a little more than she was comfortable with. Thankfully, the other girls didn't push too hard for answers. Not when there was something much more compelling to talk about.

"Well... international man of mystery right here," Missouri purred, and more than a few girls with her were nodding in agreement.

"Indeed," agreed Concezione, taking a quick look off-screen. "But I am afraid my time up and I must prepare. Take care, everyone. Say a quick prayer for our success and try not to fall too deep into debauchery. I like my prospects intact and unmolested, thank you very much."

She hung up before anyone could get in the final word, leaving a few frustrated battleships in her wake.

"Ugh, what got her chastity belt in a twist?" muttered Missouri.

"Doesn't matter," said Wisconsin, pulling a notepad and pen from her strained bikini top, refocusing on Iowa with a fierce intensity. "Now that the sick in the mud is gone; details."

"Uh... details?" Iowa hesitated, realizing just how quiet the chat had gotten. Her sisters looked on with shit-eating grins and the rest of the USN clustered around them with equally hungry expressions. Even the Russians had calmed down, dozens of expectant faces filling the small window.

As the Navies of the world stared her down, Iowa felt a trickle of sweat roll down her brow.

"I just you everything, guys. Really!"

One of the British girls sipped her tea in a distinctly doubting manner.

"S-Seriously, what more do you want?!"

She knew exactly what they wanted and was continuing to put it off for as long as possible. God must have been real because Concezione's attendance had been a godsend. But with her now gone, there was nothing to hold back the flood.

"Dick size!" the same mystery ship shouted, heralding the breaking of the dam as dozens of voices erupted all at once. The call became the realm of chaos as everyone seemed to fight for possession of their respective phone and the Russians returned to business as usual. Only the British remained calm, gazing into her soul with that smug poshness only the British could possess.

At smugness quickly turned to irritation as they realized they couldn't get a word in edgewise through the chaos and began shouting at everyone else.

"I could just hang up," Iowa offered. "We can do this again later if you-"

Instantly, the call went quieter than the dorm rooms after curfew.

"Oh, no no nononono, dear sister, " Missouri took the lead. "You're not getting away that easily."

"Away from what? Your fragile ego?"

Missouri's smirk became shark-like, but before the shouting match could reignite, Warspite coughed in that polite British way that brokered no room for argument.

"You know exactly what we want, Iowa. How does he measure up as a battleship?"

A den of hungry wolves was less intimidating than the downright lustful expressions sent her way. No amount of armor could stop the barrage coming in, all that was left was to evade like mad.

"Well, he's a Yamato-class, he's got the guns, the armor-"

"Quit stalling, dammit!" Wisky shrieked, trying to hide a furious blush behind her notepad. "You've had him all to yourself for weeks, don't try to deny it!"

"Maybe that's why she's in the baths," Missouri followed up mercilessly. "Maybe all those boarding actions knocked something loose."

That got Iowa to splutter. "B-Boarding?! No one's boarded anyone! Oh, don't give me that look, it's true!"

"Kongou has reported you spend the most time with him," Warspite noted with another skeptical sip of tea.

"I was a glorified tour guide!" she protested, much to the amusement of the others. "Nothing happened! Seriously!"

"Sure," Missouri grinned. "And this is... what, number thirty? Twenty nine? Way to add to the body count, sis. And what a kill he must be!"

Iowa felt her face go slack in horror as that little tidbit of her past slipped out. Sure, she had been a young and stupid Kanmusu back then, but had it really been that many?

"It's nothing to be ashamed of, dear," Warspite tittered. "But the most important question is should we be expecting a little Montana-class anytime-"

Her finger slammed down on the end call button, halting the question dead in it's tracks. Tossing her phone away, she hugged her knees and forced herself to take long, steadying breaths.

Fuck, why did they all have to be like this? She wasn't fucking pregnant! She'd fucked anyone in years!

Sure, she wasn't exactly subtle with her conquests! In fact, she fully admitted to being a bit of slut when she was first summoned. A newly summoned Kanmusu high on the new experiences of life, hell yeah she'd go for every opportunity she got!

But...

"Fuck..." she snarled, holding her hand in her hands.

Why was this so hard?

Maybe if William had been more of a pervert and stared at her tits at every opportunity this wouldn't have been so hard, but... she couldn't help but like the guy. He didn't see Iowa the woman, he saw her as she truly was! BB-61 USS Iowa. Not only could he look her in the eye past the tits, he looked even deeper to her bridge windows.

No other man alive had done that.

And while she would have fought for his dignity on that basis alone...

...little Montana...

"...what the fuck are they thinking?..."

She ignored her buzzing phone for the rest of the night. Consequences be damned.

So, I'm trying something new. For the foreseeable future, the story is going to center around slice of life content. William getting back on his feet, different perspectives from around the world to show how the world has changed or reactions to the man himself. But I also want to provide windows into the war as well without dedicating entire chapters to it.

Not only do I want to advance the story, I want to advance the world as well. I want to make it feel big and connected while not bogging the story down.

Therefore, I'm experimenting with correspondence. Keeping the war moving forward with messages between notable individuals while advancing the plot at the same time. I'm hoping it will save time, attention and patience, giving just enough information to keep the war engaging, but not slowing everything down to a crawl.

Hope you all enjoyed!

use our base Physiologists until they know what they are dealing with.
psycologists

could barely carry a conservation; the seven year
conversation

Regardless, she still banished a tiny fist,
brandished

The USN was ramping up its summoning efforts the load was beginning to even out.
, the

before she snapped and when full Bushido.
went

just so happened to find eulogy a few hours ago with the
obituary

"Wait, a eulogy?!" Wisconsin pipped
obituary

"I just you everything, guys. Really
-?-

way that brokered no room for argument.
brooked

Chapter 25: Matters of Admiralty
Incident Report
Date: April 25, 2026
Vessel: Steel Hull Combat Ice Breaker HMCS Pana
CO: Captain Scott
LOC as of incident: 63°43'08.5"N 78°03'14.9"W

Mission: Escorting Oil Tanker column from Churchhill Harbour down Hudson Strait to rendezvous with Trans-Altantic Convoy. Following standard Hudson Bay Patrol Route 102 see Mission Reference 23 for more details.

Incident: Intercepted Abyssal Transmission

Statement:
Admiral Thacher,
At 2348 while passing South of Nottingham Island, we picked up an Abyssal radio message on the specified channels. In accordance with the Northern Bay Protocol, the conversation was transcribed and the voices were compared to vessels on file. We can confirm the identity of the speakers, both under the command of the Northern Bay Princess.

Speaker 1: Abyssal Chi-Class Cruiser (3502) - 3rd Generation Abyssal.
Speaker 2: Abyssal Ta-Class Battleship (6) 'Six' - 1st Generation Abyssal.

The conversation proceeds as follows:

Speaker 1: Hey, uh, Six, you got a minute?

[No response for 30 seconds.]

Speaker 1: Hello? You didn't sink out there, did you? Come on, it's important!

[No response for 1 minute.]

Speaker 1: *Sounds of flipping paper* That, uh, next book you wanted, the... what was it? Journey to Dist-

Speaker 2: YOU SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH!!

Speaker 1: Hey, good to see you again! Listen, I got a question that needs answering and you're the right capital for the job. Okay? Okay. You ready?

Speaker 2: *Sound of battleship irritation* And the reason we aren't using encrypted channels is...?

Speaker 1: Come on, you know the drill for this kind of thing. Besides, do you really want to do this on a channel Northern can hear?

[Noticeable pause]

Speaker 2: Fine. What do you want to know?

Speaker 1: So, you've heard about Musashi, right? Really big kerfuffle and all that. Well... Anchored seems to be taking an interest in him. Well, the dude, not the ship. And with her history and everything, what are the odds the Anchored Demon goes on a revenge power trip?

Speaker 2: ...that's very subtle of you.

Speaker 1: Come on! It's a pretty good deal Northern Bay has going on here! Like, we aren't the human's main focus, we aren't getting shot at, and I want to know if it'll stay that way. Cause really, if Anchored wants that man's head on a plater, you know Northern is going along with her whether she likes it or not.

Speaker 2: And how should I know? If you're so desperate go ask Anchored yourself.

Speaker 1: *Sounds of cruiser distress* I already had to see her once this year! That's one time too many!

Speaker 2: And how do you think I feel?

Speaker 1: That's why I'm asking! Old boats stick together and all that, right?

Speaker 2: I was her bodyguard, not her confidant.

Speaker 1: But you know Anchored better than anyone here! Hell, you were there when she tried summoning Musashi the first time! Like... come on, do we have anything to worry about or not?

[Noticeable pause]

Speaker 2: To tell you the truth, I don't know.

Speaker 1: Well... uh... she hasn't raised a fuss about it yet, so that's got to be good? Right?

[Noticeable pause]

Speaker 1: Right?? Come on, please don't leave me hanging! Not like this!

Speaker 2: Throwing a fuss has nothing to do with it. Tell me, when have you ever heard of Anchored going to war, hmm? She doesn't fight, she plots. Her silence indicates nothing.

Speaker 1: So... that's bad?

Speaker 2: ...it could be. I'm completely serious here, I don't know. It wasn't until after the first attempt that she took any interest in Musashi at all.

Speaker 1: H-Hold up, wait, but didn't she design the Queen in the first place? Musashi was her... what's the word, her magnum opus, or whatever?

Speaker 2: To some ships, yes. Not to Anchored. As the war dragged on, more flagships broke off to form their own fleets and the Princesses found their power fragmenting. It was they who wanted a unifying figure. A Queen of the Abyss to keep the peasants in line.

Speaker 1: Wait... the old Princesses wanted this? That doesn't sound like them at all.

Speaker 2: I wouldn't expect you to know. This was years ago and a lot of politicking went on behind closed doors. Old rivalries and the emergence of Kanmusu threatened the Abyssal cause as a whole. Something needed to be done. A figurehead of the Abyss was needed to unify the Abyssal fleets into a cohesive whole once again... that was their official story, anyway. In reality, it was the Princesses trying the consolidate their authority behind a single pawn. I doubt the Queen would have had more power than the British monarch, but that's the truth of it. Her role would have been symbolic at best.

Speaker 1: And what did Anchored think about that?

Speaker 2: Nothing. In fact, I believe the only reason she went along with their plan was to make them stop pestering her.

Speaker 1: Really? But, I thought...

Speaker 2: She never cared about this war at all. Never did. She only cared about her music... and whatever she saw at the bottom of that pool. But after the first failed Summoning, well... that's when she really took an interest. Musashi became a mystery for her to solve, that was my impression.

Speaker 1: And after she failed they pronounced her a Demon, right?

Speaker 2: Hardly, but it did push her in that direction. The Queen's summoning was a fairly public event. The Princesses wanted as many wayward flagships as possible to witness her coronation to cement her reign. But imagine their surprise when instead of the Queen, they got the Prophecy instead.

Speaker 1: But, should that have been a good thing for her? I mean, it's the fucking Abyss speaking back, shouldn't that have... I don't know, exonerated her?

Speaker 2: In the eyes of whom? The Queen was meant to unify, however symbolic the role was. Instead, more dissent was spread through the ranks as the Prophecy took root. Someone had to take the fall and it was Anchored who presided over the summoning. Her name was probably the only reason why they saw fit to 'grant her' a second chance. You can probably guess what happened next. No Queen, and whole swaths of their fleets quoting the holy mandate of the Abyss. The Princesses were furious.

Speaker 1: Hang on... little off topic, but why didn't they believe it too? I mean, couldn't they have used the Prophecy to retain power? Like, did it matter which one they used? Queen or Prophecy, both accomplished the same thing, right?

Speaker 2: One method could be controlled, the other could not. That was the day Anchored was proclaimed a Demon. Exiled from the Abyssal Court for her failure and the schism it wrought.

Speaker 1: And that was when she got anchored, right?

Speaker 2: I'm sorry?

Speaker 1: You know, the anchors! Perpetually anchored to the ground and all that! Punishment! Right?

Speaker 2: Do yourself a favor and remember who exactly you're talking about. What makes you think they had the authority, let alone the nerve to punish her? Exiling her was an attempt to save face, even if it cost them dearly.

Speaker 1: Wait, waitwaitwait... she anchored herself? Why?

Speaker 2: No idea, that was long before my time... but she only started wearing the blindfold after the third attempt. After which your holy crusade began.

[Noticeable pause]

Speaker 2: Whatever she saw in that pool killed her interest in Musashi entirely. It took her weeks to recover... if you can it that.

Speaker 1: So, uh, back on topic, should we be concerned?

Speaker 2: Of open combat? No. But if Anchored is determined enough, we won't learn of her efforts until after the humans come for us. Does that answer your question?

Speaker 1: Not really, but I think it's the best I'm going to get. But hey, you guys are still on course, right? Those Tankers are still making their run through the strait. Give it a few days then hit up the old fishing spot. I hear we're getting some Crabs this time around. Crabs. With a capital 'C', you get it?

Speaker 2: Crab? It's too deep for... I mean, understood. We'll be sure to keep an eye out.

End transcript.

Addendum:
Admiral Thacher, something doesn't feel right about this. I know it's not my place to question orders, but I don't believe this intelligence can be relied upon. It's too convenient. Our Icebreakers have been intercepting these conversations for years. No encryption, no nothing. They want to be heard.

However inconsequential the topics, they are very clearly trying to influence us in some way. You have addressed these concerns before, but please, I beg for caution. I don't trust this truce of circumstances, they are still Abyssals.

All I ask is that this information be considered with the appropriate amount of suspicion.

Sincerely,
Captain Scott

----​

To: Hanks, Arthur
Security Clearance: None

Subject: Something Nice

Commander Hanks,

While I have my doubts about your hobbies, I can't argue with the effect they have on morale. Your request for unit leave has been granted. Call it a crew training exercise. God willing, your crab cages have survived this time. Take your time and get a good haul, but at the first sign of trouble, you turn around. Take a couple of Flowers with you just to be safe.

Be sure to pack plenty of ice cream and batten it down tight. We lose more containers over the side due to bad weather than the Abyssals. You might as well bring double the amount if you lose it overboard like last time. I hear the girls like chocolate, be sure to throw some in.

Enjoy your fishing trip.

Sincerely,
Admiral Thatcher
CFB Quebec City

----​

Even from outside, Thacher could feel the pandemonium emanating from the briefing room. Taking a moment to collect herself, she arranged her papers, adjusted her hair bun, and generally prepared herself to once again dive headfirst into shipgirl madness.

Sure enough, a wall of sound nearly knocked her flat as the door swung open. The Canadian Navy couldn't match the USN in terms of size, but could easily match their southern neighbors when it came when it came to raw, unfiltered insanity. It seemed the destroyers and frigates of Canada did their very best to produce double the chaos to compensate for the lack of numbers.

And now Morgan had given them an outlet.

"Wegetabattleshipwegetabattleshipwegetabattleshipwegetabattleshipwegetabattleship!!" The Flower class corvettes were running wild, darting between chairs and desks in a strange game of tag while cheering at the top of their lungs. Meanwhile, the destroyers were taking a more proactive approach, clustered around the whiteboard and drawing out maneuvers to protect their newest capital ship.

Their current strategy had a screen so thick that even a modern nuclear submarine would have a hard time slipping in. Moreover, a large section was dedicated to a tier list sporting pictures of capital ships from around the globe. Not the most flattering photos, either. Thacher could only guess at their purpose, but no doubt it would make her blood pressure spike.

And she couldn't even imagine what Ontario was dealing with up in the Territories.

Thankfully, it didn't last for much longer. One of the Flowers nearly ran into her at flack speed, squeaked when she realized who it was, and shouted a warning. Within moments chairs were flying in all directions, corvettes following close behind as they put the room back in order at lightning speed. And when they dove back into orderly ranks, they saluted as one. "Good morning, Admiral!"

"Morning, girls," she chuckled, shaking her head as she moved to the whiteboard, deliberately taking the time to examine their work. However unrealistic the plans were. "These are good. Who drew this up?"

"I did, ma'am!" HMCS Skeena's hand shot up, beaming from ear to ear. "We've been studying US naval doctrine on capital ship escort. And using our own experience, we've come up with the best possible formation the RCN has ever had!"

"Wegetabattleship!" one of the Flowers piped up before she was shushed by her sisters.

"Uh-huh," Thacher drawled, humoring them further as she traced the various ship markers with a finger.

The scenario they simulated was fairly standard; a convoy escort utilizing only vessels from the RCN. While all their plans shared an overabundance of destroyers, this formation had the addition of a single battleship at its heart. All and all, it was fairly comprehensive. Overlapping screens, good torpedo lanes, divisions clearly marked... except for one critical detail.

"Oh, I see what you're going for," she said. "If we get the entire navy screening him, not a single submarine in the world can touch him, is that right?"

"Yep. That's the idea, ma'am!"

"Uh-huh. And who is watching the convoy?" Thacher tapped a line of markers indicating cargo ships on the left of the board, far outside the protective bubble.

"Oh, we pawn them off on the USN," Skeena said without a shred of embarrassment. "Come on, they got battleships aplenty, we only got the one! They'll understand."

To their credit, the girls withstood the Admiral's deadpan stare for a few seconds before bursting into giggles.

"Very funny," Thacher chuckled, shaking her head as she cleared the board with a few deft swipes of the eraser. "But for the sake of prudence, has anything feasible been thought up? Formations we can actually use?"

"Yes ma'am!" Piped up a corvette from the front.

Trentonian, like the rest of her Flower-class sisters, was criminally adorable. As one of the few natural borns of the class, her black hair hung in a rough ponytail down her back. And while she was still a corvette, her youthful features possessed a grizzled hardness not usually seen in vessels of her class. Most attributed it to their heritage as whaling vessels, and considering their combat gear the resemblance was hard to deny.

Heavy oil skins two sizes too big hung from her shoulders, covering the overalls which were bloused into high rubber boots. The old whaler aesthetic was offset by the rosy cheeks beaming out from under the floppy rain hat.

It was only years of practice, and knowing what the corvettes were capable of, which kept Thacher from cooing as the corvette dug around in her oversized jacket. "We've been brainstorming for a while, ma'am – oh, where is it?! Uh, studying US doctrine and all that, battleship escort – that part is true! - and we think we have a few you'd want to see! If only I can, uh... if only..."

Another Flower class leaned over to whisper furiously in her ear. "Did you lose it? Again?!"

"No nonono, I have it, right... here!" She whipped a stack of papers out of her jacket, launching the fairy holding onto the other end high into the air with a scream. There was a scramble to catch the falling crewmen, which turned the briefing room upside down once again.
As chairs, pencils, papers, and frigates flew in all directions, Thacher could almost feel another hair lose the battle of youth. The color leached from her scalp as the new grey hair joined the ever-increasing throng.

This was karma, wasn't it? Dumping her ex-boyfriend on the eve of her big promotion because he wanted kids. She hadn't been ready to give up her career just yet, not when she had gotten so far. Look at her now; an Admiral of circumstance with more adopted daughters than she knew what to do with.

At least the stress kept her waistline trim and fit.

Again, years of practice kept her exasperation from showing as a flustered Trentonian shuffled up, holding out the stack of papers with a mumbled, "Sorry, ma'am."

After reassuring her flustered corvette, Thacher spared a moment to flip through their work. Not bad. Some of them might even make it into the books.

If Morgan decided to come back at all.

Setting aside that problem for later, Thacher cleared her throat. "I'll be sure to look them over, thank you. Now, I have some general announcements before we get started. First of all, the 5 RALC are expecting a new shipment of M777s."

Her shoulders sagged at their hungry looks.

"They will receive all of their M777s. If I get one more complaint about field guns going missing it will come to disciplinary action. Yes, Flowers, I understand they are better than your Mk IXs. No, they are not yours to take! This is unacceptable!" By now, Thacher was more than used to the infamous 'destroyer eyes' phenomenon. Only her years of exposure to the far more dangerous 'corvette eyes' helped withstand the sheer amount of 'daw' leveled at her.

Massaging the bridge of her nose, she amended herself before the levels of disappointment could reach lethal levels. "If you want an M777 just put in a requisition, please. We have a budget for this very reason. Please stop stealing from the other branches, okay?"

After a wave of reluctant nods and agreements, she carried on. "Next, I've said it once and I'll say it again; all modifications are to be conducted by the proper authorities."

And this announcement got more groans than the first.

When it came to mass-produced warships, everyone pointed at the Gearings or Fletchers as the primary example. However, their key characteristic was that they were churned out at Naval shipyards, built with specialized Naval equipment, Naval this, Naval that. Their design, construction, and maintenance could only be carried out by properly trained Naval personnel.

While the Flower class corvette might not have come close to matching the Fletchers in numbers, they had the advantage of being built in civilian shipyards using off the shelf parts. And with their relatively simple triple expansion machinery, they were a fairly easy ship to build, maintain, and understand. Any bog-standard mechanic would walk in and get a fairly good understanding of operations from sight alone.

That simplicity turned the entirity of the Flower class into little gremlins. Always tinkering, always testing. But for all the times they managed to tinker a few more knots out of their engines, the damages were not worth the cost. Hence a blanket ban on all self-improvement.

She had to amend the wording when they started smuggling in self-help books as a joke.

After reiterating a few more points, Thacher moved on to the dreaded reveal.

"For fleet deployments..." Here, the Admiral hesitated. "Sadly, there is no change in our operation zones. Northern Bay is still considered an unknown factor so we have to keep our guard up."
Groans filled the air as Thacher began listing their current operations on the board and the units assigned to each.

"Clockwise rotation, I'm afraid," Thacher grimaced, writing the names of divisions beneath their respective zones. "The 3rd Fleet is leaving Hudson Bay and taking up convoy escort here in Quebec City. Likewise, 2nd Fleet is moving over to Vancouver."

On she went, detailing specific transfers as required and other mission specific details. With each one, the mood in the room tanked even further as more avenues of escape were addressed and sealed. Reluctantly, Thacher delivered the final posting.

"As for 1st Fleet... you're heading up north."

Along with the expected dismay, a questioning hand was raised. She didn't to guess what Trentonian's question would be.

"Excuse me, ma'am, but will Morgan be joining us?"

And there it was; the question she had desperately hoped to avoid.

Truth was, she didn't know. She didn't think anyone knew, let alone the man himself.

Commanding Canada's Kanmusu over the years had put a serious dent in her ego. It was hard to be dignified when other branches were breathing down your neck because your ships were thieving little gremlins. Yes, it had taught her a good lesson about humility.

As tough as being an Admiral in wartime was; assuming responsibility for hundreds of rambunctious destroyers, corvettes, and frigates was what turned her hair grey. Ontario, Quebec, and Puncher - bless them - helped as best they could, but the three of them could only do so much.

As well as putting medals on her chest, her tenure taught her patience. A lot of patience. So when she had personally flown down to Edmonton to welcome Morgan home she was able to forgive his complete lack of awareness.

The others probably hadn't seen it that way. The political tension in that room had almost been frightening. A representative from every combat branch of the CAF was present, each wanting a small part of Canada's first and only battleship. Bargains were being made; the Army was pushing hard to get him back, and even she was desperate to secure his service. Those 18-inch guns would be their magic bullet for pushing the Abyssals out of the Territories. But all the politicking hinged on the man returning to military service.

One look at his face killed any notion of appeal. In fact, he hadn't even realized the Admiral had shaken his hand. As one of the few people authorized to read his file, she could understand why. Shell shock was the only way to describe his condition.

"I'm sure he's as eager to get back in the fight as you are," she lied. "However, he needs therapy, plain and simple. The best Doctors we have are on his case, but it will still take time. Beyond that, I can't give an exact answer."

Another hand shot up; one of her destroyers this time. "Which shrink, ma'am?"

"Pestering the doctor will not help your case," she replied without missing a beat. "The USN has already forbidden their girls from setting foot in Alberta; do I need to do the same?"

To her alarm, that news only made them cheer.

"Thank you, ma'am!" It was Skeena who stood and offered a proud salute. "That's the best news we heard all day!"

"I-It is?" Thacher stuttered, dread creeping into her voice. She didn't expect this; it was supposed to be a punishment, what was going on?!

"Yes, ma'am!" the destroyer beamed as the others nodded along. "We were going to bring it up after the briefing, but the problem took care of itself! Operation Grassroots Security phase one is a success!"

The gloom of being sent up north had evaporated as the girls celebrated the news, chattering madly as Thacher struggled to keep up.

"Waitwaitwait, all of you, quiet! Skeema, what are you talking about?"

The destroyer's grin did not inspire confidence. None of them did. Rosy cheeks and sparkling eyes only finalized the prelude to madness.

"Well, you see ma'am, we got talking. This guy is something special. Not only is he the one and only Canadian battleship, but a man to boot! What does he have that no other battleship does?"

Life altering trauma, among other things. But clearly, that wasn't the answer her rambunctious subordinates had come to. Sparing a glance at the board, Thacher regarded the pictures with a new sense of dread. The pieces were to fall into place, creating an image she desperately wanted to purge from her mind and soul.

Mercifully, Skeema caught onto her revelation and spared her sanity by not uttering those cursed words.

"Exactly, ma'am! We possess the only means of producing more Kanmusu! A vital resource, high in demand worldwide! Lusted after by every capital ship worth her salt!"

Behind the monologuing destroyer, one of the girls hoisted a Canadian flag, wiggling it so it seemed to flutter in an invisible breeze. As her chest swelled with patriotic pride, Skeema planted her foot on a chair and thrust her fist skyward in determination. "Not only is Musashi our battleship, by blood if not steel, he is our brother! Surrounded by harlots, gold-diggers, surrogates, and Ashigara, the 'Hungry Wolf' of the East! We must step up to defend our brother's promiscuity!"

Pretty sure the word she was looking for was 'chastity,' but the girls were too deep in the show to notice the mistake. They were cheering, saluting, raising more flags, even hoisting up Skeema as the grand speech continued.

"Yes, we might be small! Yes, we might be a fleet of little guys! But the future of warfare depends on us! The relevance of Canada hangs in the balance! They will come to strip our battleship bare! Mewl until he has nothing left to give, leaving him a dry, shriveled husk while they skulk away to gestate on their ill-gotten gains!"

Taking a flagpole from one of her sisters, Skeema planted it in the ground, like Canadian Leonidas at the Hot Gates.

"We of the RCN solemnly swear to uphold our brother's sobriety! As long as we still draw breath, no seductive sirens will ever lay a finger on him! The pipeline of Canada's viability will not be stolen from us! Operation Grassroots Security now and forever!"

"Forever!!" Cheered the girls, again hoisting her into the air like a victorious hero back from the front.

Thacher shuddered, feeling two hairs turn grey.

This was not going to end well.

----​

The Admiral's office, with all its upholstery and embellishments, was truly a sight to behold. It was quite beautiful. But in all his years of service, Goto had never appreciated the aesthetic.

It had always been his office. The association practically blinded him to the room's natural beauty. But now, with the small footlocker sitting on the desk filled with his personal belongings and accolades, it was like seeing the office for the first time. Completely bare.

Like it had never been his office to begin with.

Like all his efforts amounted to nothing. The Abyssals were still out there, and his best hadn't been enough to win.

Even with his hearing a week away, procrastination never sat right with him. And with the outcome a foregone conclusion, delaying the inevitable was pointless. Best to have the office ready for its next occupant, whoever it was.

Swallowing his melancholy, he ambled over to the wall where his mother's gift hung proudly. The last item he had to remove. It was almost a shame. The picture melded seamlessly with the decor; calming, bright, and beautiful, perfectly masking the old goat's lecherous context.

And behind it were the scuffed and faded pencil marks he had made all those years ago, reminding him of the first time a particular battleship burst through his door. He hadn't been prepared back then; the flying hug knocked him into the infirmary for a week with a broken rib.

He could just leave it.

The picture was downright synonymous with the office. Even though it was a personal item, the picture had become a legend of its own over the years. People always assumed he had a sixth sense for determining the chaos of the day. They would never believe his secret was a charm meant to find him a wife.

And... it just might.

He'd be lying if the dismissal didn't bring a spark of hope with it. Fraternization in the ranks had always been a factor in his dating life, and while the loss of his position stung, there was that silver lining.

Maybe, just maybe...

Taking a deep breath, he pushed the possibility from his mind. He still had a war to win, even if it was in a different capacity. Kongou would understand.

He knew she would.

Carefully placing the charmed canvas in his footlocker, he set about removing the pencil markings with an eraser. He was just bushing off the shavings when the door opened: No knock to announce themselves, the man simply walked in. As impolite as it was, the entering Admiral was under no obligation to announce himself.

His dress whites and gold bars gleamed under the light, with a rack of metals substantially smaller than Goto's own, but no less impressive. His features were surprisingly hard, possessing well defined cheekbones. Still, he looked young; younger than Goto, even. He took a moment to scan the office, nodding thoughtfully at the decor before he even noticed its owner.

"Ah, Admiral Goto, it's an honor!" His smile was disarming as he held out a hand. "I am Admiral Eiichi Nura of the 3rd Escort Flotilla in Maizuru. I've worked with your girls on plenty of occasions in conjunction with the Koreans to keep the Sea of Japan free of trouble."

"I remember," Goto nodded, eyeing his hand for a moment before accepting the shake. "Although, if I remember correctly you were last on track for Vice Admiral. This is quite the upgrade."

Eiichi shrugged, removing his cap as he looked around the room again. "Funny story about that, actually. It turned out Admiral Sumio was caught in an affair. Can't say who it was, but his resignation came in shortly afterwards. I stepped up and led the 3rd Flotilla before any official replacement could come in. They finally decided to make it official a year ago."

Goto nodded along, placing the eraser back in its drawer, his gaze never leaving the young man as he paced around the office. "Enthralling story, but why are you here? I wasn't aware you had an appointment."

Not that he had many of those anymore. As he was gradually eased from the chain of command, so too were the responsibilities lifted from his shoulders. A small blessing amid the curse it represented.

It was almost insulting how the Admiral shrugged in response, gazing out the window into the base below. "Thought I would stop by and see the place. Get a lay of the land, so to speak."

"Ah," Goto nodded, his suspicions confirmed. One of the vultures, then. Swallowing his distaste, he forced a smile. "Well, congratulations. I've worked with Sumio in the past, it's a damn shame what happened."

"Yes, the 3rd Flotilla isn't the same without him," Eiichi agreed, eyes never leaving the view outside. "Still, I believe it was for the best. With him gone, we've taken a more aggressive stance. The Sea of Japan has never been safer."

He turned to give Goto a smile. "That being said, I appreciated your girls whenever they showed up. We have our own tactics for combating subs with steel hulls, but it's not the same as having Kanmusu."

He raised an interesting point, Goto admitted to himself as he prepared two cups of coffee at the refreshment table.

"I would argue you are better off without," he stated, handing off one of the steaming mugs. A quick sip hid his smirk as Eiichi's lips tightened. "What you've accomplished is nothing short of astounding."

Okay, maybe he was a little spiteful after all, but the compliment was geniune. As powerful as they were, Kanmusu were not the magic bullet everyone envisioned. Take submarine hunting for example. They were skilled, but the girls still relied on technology from the 1940s.

Even if the Abyssal's eldritch nature negated most modern guidance systems, the ocean had a nasty habit of leveling the playing field. Abyssals were still made of steel. They made noise and had none of the technological advantages developed during the Cold War. And it was fair to say Humanity's anti-submarine doctrine was leaps and bounds ahead of anything the Abyssals could muster.

A submarine was one of the few Abyssal types a steel-hull destroyer could combat with relative ease. From a distance, anyway.

"The dead beg to disagree," Eiichi retorted. "As would countless billions of taxpayer money. Destroyers aren't cheap."

"Neither are Kanmusu."

"I never implied otherwise; just pointing out that war has costs." He paused for a moment. "It's Japanese blood that keeps the East Sea safe. I won't discredit their sacrifice, but many wonder why our Kami operate almost exclusively in the Pacific. Even with the USN taking the brunt of the danger."

If he had hoped for an easy win, he was bound to be disappointed. Goto had faced that particular argument many times before.

"Simple pragmatism," said Goto. "The Chief of Staff agrees that the 3rd Flotilla is all that's required to handle the few subs that slip in. You should be proud; it's your work that allows us to keep our Pacific waters safe. We're a team, Eiichi. Our successes compliment the Navy as a whole."

The younger Admiral nodded along. "For the greater good of Japan, naturally."

There was a pause before Eiichi gave him a sidelong glance. "Of course, the Minister of Defence isn't too happy you never consulted him about Musashi."

"You had a meeting with the Brass, I see." The retort was as light as possible through his growing exasperation.

"Nothing that glamorous, just scuttlebutt." Eiichi smiled then, more of a victorious smirk than anything else. "Apparently I'm a prime contender for command of the Kanmusu Corp."

That had been obvious from the start. The Admiral wasn't nearly as subtle as he thought. And if their conversation was anything to judge, priorities would change the moment he was replaced.
While he could understand the frustration over not having Kanmusu along the West Coast, deploying there would be a token effort at best. Goto had great respect for the 3rd Flotilla: Holding the Sea of Japan without a single Kanmusu was no easy feat. Hell, even the girls were in awe of what the mortal man was able to accomplish.

But to deploy a Destroyer Div there would accomplish nothing from a tactical standpoint. Goto was under no illusions that if Eiichi got the post, Yamato might soon find herself trawling up and down the coast as a publicity stunt.

Damned politics.

That had always been Goto's achilles heel. No matter how rationally he presented his decisions, there was still a good portion of the population who believed Kanmusu were the be-all-end-all of this war. They didn't see the human elements of the Navy as enough; they wanted all-around Kanmusu defense, only then would they be safe.

The grumbling only got worse once the politicians used the fear as a platform. Month after month Goto was bombarded with petitions and requests which were nothing more than blatant political posturing.

Maybe he was just being stubborn, but with the Navy working in tandem he saw no reason to waste the resources. Not when their attention was better spent in the Pacific, keeping Japan's lifeblood of convoys flowing smoothly. It was only his perfect record in that regard that held back the political fallout.

But truth be told, the loss of his reputation barely registered. It was the undoing of years of work and shattered trust that opened a pit in his stomach; magnified by the looming existence of Lost Causes.

These girls, who poured out their blood for their country, would become political pawns for an Admiral's ambitions.

But even as he fought back a scowl, he forced himself to acknowledge his own bias. Being ejected from a prestigious post would sour anyone's perspective. Perhaps Eiichi was an outstanding paragon of duty and honor; placing the well-being of his fleet at the forefront.

Goto wanted to believe that. But it was political machinations that got him into this mess in the first place.

Draining his mug with a single gulp, he gave Eiichi a smile. "In that case, allow me to give you the full tour. It's a nice view up here, but nothing like seeing normal operations from the ground."
Admiral Eiichi seemed respective of the invitation. He brightened considerably as Goto led him out the front door, bright eyes trying to take in everything at once. The officer equivalent of a kid in a candy shop.

It could have meant any number of things, but Goto was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

"One of the more unique aspects of the Kanmusu Corp is our size," Goto began as they strolled away from the HQ. Might as well start from the ground up. "We have the highest number of active vessels in the JMSDF with the fewest support personnel. Even then, they are mostly cooks, administrative staff, and technical support. "

He motioned towards a pair of US Marines, returning their salute as they passed. They weren't of the same nation, but it was only polite. "But as you can see, we are only a small part of the larger District. And I can't lie, sometimes it puts the Kanmusu Corp at odds with the rest of the base."

Eiichi raised an eyebrow with a knowing smile. "Shenanigans?"

"Not as much as you would think."

The smirk dropped as Goto continued. "Shenanigans are considered the highlights of the day. Most of the time they're completely harmless and help with morale nationwide. Other times..." Air hissed through his teeth as he winced. "It gets pretty bad. Snowballing catastrophes one after another. But no, most of our inter-district strife comes from the Kanmusu Corp as a whole."

As they explored the branching roads of the base, Goto kept a careful eye on Eiichi's expression. He exemplified stoicism, nodding politely to everyone they passed but giving Goto his full attention.
"Despite being the smallest unit on base, we dominate the scene. It's not much of an issue with the non-commissioned members, but most of the Flag and Senior officers get..."

"Jealous?" Eiichi offered.

However much Goto wanted to spare their dignity, he had to agree. "Unfortunately. I've been labeled the quintessential Isekai Protagonist plenty of times. And even with the Junior officers, our unit has an unfortunate reputation."

Here Goto had to sigh. "When it comes to human personnel, you're either at the top or you don't even exist."

"Because the girls are commissioned officers themselves," Eiichi stated, nodding along. "Hard to slip into a clique as tight nit as them."

Goto chose his words wisely, watching his reaction. "Not exactly. Yes, the girls are all commissioned officers, but they are also the vessels themselves. Take a modern destroyer, for example. With a crew complement of three hundred, a chain of command is required for the destroyer to be considered operational. None of that is necessary with Kanmusu. They streamline command by their very nature, drastically reducing our required personnel. And when they step into command roles themselves, that cuts our requirements even further. There simply aren't any more positions for officers to take."

He sighed. "You wouldn't believe the turnover rate here. Once people realize the furthest they can advance is Lieutenant Commander of the kitchen staff, well, they tend to move on fairly quickly. Especially with how we discourage fraternization between the ranks."

There was a barely noticeable twitch in Eiichi's expression when the term came up.

"You also wouldn't believe how many come wanting to meet their... waifu. They don't last long either." Thankfully none of the creeps who managed to infiltrate the ranks were killed in their quest for recognition. Though it was a close thing, in some cases. "It puts the Kanmusu Corp in the awkward position of being the most important unit on base but a career black hole for everyone else."

"It seems like an arbitrary thing to enforce," Eiichi noted, abruptly. "The fraternization, I mean. We ask so much of them already, the least we could do is let them make their own decisions."

Goto forced his face to remain neutral as he answered. "It's not unit policy, but the standing orders of the JSDF. These are rules even I am subject to."

Eiichi made to reply, but paused, carefully considering his words. "And I imagine any... competition between the girls would prove disastrous."

"Admiral, no matter how much it resembles a harem, I can assure you it is anything but."

As they trekked through the base exploring each section one by one, Eiichi stuck to a common theme. Strategy, tactics, Abyssal behavior in the Pacific, and a little disconcertingly, the inter-political strife on base. The man was a good strategist, but an even better tactician. Years of hunting submarines gave him instincts few could match. Goto could honestly say he enjoyed discussing the finer points of fleet formations with Eiichi.

That being said, a sense of disconnect soured the conversation.

Eiichi was a fine commander; of that, there was no doubt. But Goto doubted his sense of leadership the more they spoke.

In his own experience, the Kanmusu Corp was a different beast compared to traditional posts. One would think leading a small, nearly self-sufficient armada was an upgrade over the chugging, blue machine of a blue water fleet. Certainly, it had its perks: Deployment time was minimal. If necessary, he could give orders and have girls out within the hour. Transportation, and repair times; Kanmusu laughed in the face of these complications.

On the other hand, morale was more important than ever.

Yes, they were sailors. Soldiers. But they were as human as everyone else. Emotional, sensitive... proud.

Anyone could command Kanmusu, but leading them was not as simple as giving orders. Far from the teaming collective of sailors and officers that gave a steel hull her name, each vessel under your command was a living being. They were a team of individuals and had to be led as such.

There was a fine line between superior officer and empathetic friend you toed daily.

And while Eiichi embodied one half of the equation, the other, arguably more important half, was lacking.

"...make no mistake, Yamato will sail," Goto said, pausing under a spreading oak tree to give Eiichi his full attention. He was about to show him the dorms when the topic came up. Probably for the best it happened here, the small forest would keep their discourse private. "But if you insist on turning her into parade ship she will resent you for it."

Of course, all the talk of strategy eventually led to changes in policy, prompting Goto to dig deeper into the young Admiral's intentions. However much he disagreed, he could respect Eiichi for coming clean about his plans.

"I'm not proposing weekly sorties; just a gesture to prove that we protect Japan as a whole!" The young Admiral became more animated, accentuating his words with a pointed finger. "Uncontested safety in the Pacific is a noble cause, but it's a hard promise to live up to."

Goto's nostrils flared. "Whoever said that winning this war would be easy?"

"And therein lies the crux of the issue. I don't know if you've looked outside recently, but victory is still years away. You know it, I know it, and Japan knows it. We've been on the back foot for a long time and it's putting people on edge."

"I'm not blind, what's your point?"

"What people want – no; what they need is a sense of security." Eiichitook a deep breath, staring out into the distance for a moment. "I've commanded 3rd Flotilla for years now. And every time I interact with the public they ask me the same damn thing. When will the Kanmusu grace the East Sea with their presence? Because it doesn't matter that 3rd Flotilla can ward off submarines; an Abyssal is still an Abyssal. And the only ones who can stop them are the Kami themselves."

There was a twinge of bitterness to his words as he gestured out to the west. "It's only gotten worse since Gallipoli fell. Europe, the Mediterranean; all cracks in the armor. It doesn't matter that they're a full continent away; people are still nervous. A little showboating – pardon the pun – would go a long way in easing public concern."

Goto sighed, massaging the bridge of his nose. "It's not the concept I have a problem with, it's who you're asking for."

That was a lie, but as soon as the words were uttered the dynamic of the conversation changed. Eiichi controlled his emotions well, but now his lips curled in a slight scowl. "Yes, the spirit of Japan herself. The finest battleship ever launched. You have her collecting dust in the harbor."

It was an accusation Goto was accustomed to and he shrugged it off.

"Deploying Yamato is never an easy decision. She is powerful, yes, but plans must be tempered with a great deal of caution. If we were to lose her, Japan would be devastated."

And if she couldn't be brought back...

"Furthermore, I am deeply concerned about Yamato herself. You'd be relegating her to a role not dissimilar to her time during the war. This 'showboating' would be a blow to her confidence and drag down the entire fleet."

"So keeping her on permanent stand-by is better?"

"It preserves our greatest asset for when we need her most."

"And now that it's here you insist on keeping her locked up."

Goto tried his best, truly he did, but this time he couldn't hide his glare. A distaste Eiichi responded with in kind. Even as his irritation rose, his voice stayed level. "Yamato's well being is as important as everyone's."

"Even to the detriment of an entire nation?"

The glare lasted until Eiichi looked away with a sigh, shaking his head. "You say it's not a harem but it seems to have rotted your brain like one. Goto, we are soldiers, all of us! We are expected to put our personal matters aside for the sake of our nation; the Kanmusu are no exception to this."

"You're saying they don't?" Goto snapped back, losing his temper. "These girls make the ultimate sacrifice on a regular basis, Eiichi! The very least we can do is respect them like the living beings they are!"

"And I fully intend to. But the fact remains that the defense of Japan can be improved. The people need confidence in their protectors and I intend to give them that." He shook his head. "It makes no sense to keep Yamato shored when she could be doing some good."

"Are you even listening to me?!" Goto snarled.

"To every word, and I pray I can avoid your same mistakes. I respect your methods, Goto, but you've grown too attached to the ones under your command. You would rather see them coddled while Japan suffers."

Goto's lip curled, a rebuttal about to burst free when excited chattering emerged from the bottom of the trail. Their argument stalled as a familiar trio of destroyers hustled past, carrying wicker baskets piled high with steaming delicacies. An array of pastries; scones of an unmistakable British variety. Kongou, it seemed, had outdone herself; there were enough sweets to feed half the fleet.

Or cheer up one miserable battleship.

Understandably, Fubuki led the trio, balancing her platter like she was delivering it to the Emperor himself. Her fierce mask of determination wobbled somewhat as she approached, eyes flicking between her cargo and the pair of Admirals. Goto could see the conflict behind her eyes, even as Yuudachi and Mutsuki charged up from behind, engrossed in their own babble of conversation.

Goto had seen enough shenanigans to know exactly how this would play out. Fubuki's sense of duty would win out. She would try her best to support the plater and salute at the same time with moderate success. Then Yuudachi would poi her way into the equation; too busy chattering with Mutsuki to notice Fubuki's abrupt halt.

The collision was inevitable, as was the explosion of pastries with the associated misery and disappointment to follow.

Shaking his head with a fond smile, Goto stood back and waved Fubuki through. She smiled, nodding in thanks as she led the others at a breakneck pace toward the battleship dorms.

"You're not exactly disproving my point," Eiichi mumbled, watching them disappear into the distance. "You're treating them like family."

Was he?

Family involved putting a ring on a certain battleship; a privilege he had denied himself in the name of duty. No, the relationship with his fleet was strictly professional. No different than if he'd been commanding a fleet of steel hulls. Sure, Kanmusu were more... everything when compared to human Captains, but the truth remained.

Good leadership required working relationships with your subordinates. With Kanmusu it was more important than ever.

Eiichi frowned at that answer.

"Professional relationships, yes. That's not what I'm seeing."

"You make it sound like I'm Kirito or something," Goto sighed, trying to bring some levity to the situation. It did prompt a chuckle.

"Got to admit, the hair isn't helping." The smirk faded. "But think about it from the outside. You, commanding the entirety of the Kanmusu fleet with minimal support, and what command roles are available are taken by shipgirls themselves."

He shrugged. "Complain about it all you want, but that's a harem set up either way."

"Yes, I've heard that plenty of times before, what's your point?"

"It keeps the Kanmusu Corp from running efficiently." As Goto bristled, Eiichi looked out over the base. From their spot on the trail, they had a fantastic view of the harbor. "I was against consolidating Kanmusu under a single command when it was first proposed. Having all of Japan's most powerful weapons under a single Admiral? That was just asking for trouble."

He paused. "I guess I shouldn't have worried. They're loyal to Japan, not necessarily their Admiral. Plus with them being individuals, I thought that would grease the gears a fair bit. Get rid of Bureaucracy, and all that. Make us a more effective force overall."

"It does," Goto assured him.

"Sure it does, I can't deny that," Eiichi nodded. "But the Corp is not being utilized to its full potential. In warfare you have excelled, I freely admit that. But sparing the feeling of subordinates does no one any good. This is the Navy not a pity parade."

"So you would have a miserable Yamato trawling up the coast? The public isn't blind, they will see that," Goto stressed.

"If she understood how important it was she might see it as necessary discomfort! The problem I have is that you never addressed it. You spared her feelings, sheltered her to the point where if she goes out for anything other than combat, she sees herself as a pawn."

Eiichi sucked air through his teeth, watching Goto with a barely concealed glare. "You've left me a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place."

The frosty standoff lasted until Eiichi glanced upward to the dorms, then shook his head. "Thank you for the tour, Admiral, Goto, but I must be off. I'll see myself out."

He made it a few steps down the path, then paused. "For what it's worth, I wish you well at your hearing. You made the right choice sending Morgan away. Keeping him here would have been a disaster."

And then he was gone, his dress whites disappearing among the trees. That didn't stop Goto from glaring long after he'd left. Even the parting compliment rang hollow.

A bleak feature for the Kanmusu Corp was on the horizon and he was powerless to stop it

I apologise this took so long to get out, but I've been kinda messed up for a while. Originally this was supposed to be a continuation of Will's recovery, but shortly after chapter 24 went live my grandpa was admitted into emergency with abdominal pain. Turned out to be a pancreatitis infection, but a sudden stroke gave us all a scare. He's still alive and got out of the hospital a few weeks ago, but...

Well, in his own words, "I don't have much time left."

It put me off of writing for a while, and when I did resume typing, family segments were hard to come up with. Hard to write about someone you know will be gone soon. Still, the way he's handling things feel therapeutic. We went coffin shopping. I didn't know Costco sold coffins. Now I do, and I can never look at them the same way again. But the will is all written out, he's ready to go... now it's only a matter of time.

Well, everything has calmed down now so it's back to the grind.

In regards to the correspondence, how do they feel? It's saved me a lot of words, but how are they from a readers perspective? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

In regards to the correspondence, how do they feel?
It feels realistic and in place, though I must confess I don't quite get the implied meanings in the second message. But that might just be me. If the transcript is true, it is quite interesting. If it is faked, they've at minimum sown distrust in the monitors' thoughts.

Anyway, thanks for sharing! This story is interesting as always, and I'm looking forward to the next!

If Goto does get fired, I see the girls quiting in mass soon after. Either that or they mutiny against whoever replaces him until he comes back.

It would be funny for the politicians to see that Goto was the glue holding the Kanmusu Corp in place, so that when they replace him, everything fall apart quickly.
I think the driving force behind this will be Yamato being forced to follow her Hotel nickname for parades, and, when she has enough, she will just go away to get her Musashi back, even outside of the orders of her commanding officers. Yamato being the ship she is, her leaving will break the carrier of all the politicians who pushed Goto out, because it's because of them that the Pride of Japan just upped and leaved for the Canadian military again after the Musashi precedent.
Thanks for the chapter, and have a nice day !

Poor Canadian admiral Margret Thacher, I'm sure she never received any bullying because of her name... I almost thought she was a ship, because I was sure someone so unfortunately named wouldn't exist, but I doubt they have admiral ships in Canada. Along with Goto, I too worry for the fate of Japanese Kanmusu command. Hopefully things won't go too poorly, although I fear that he will end up being a personal antagonist to Morgan sometime far too soon.

Poor Canadian admiral Margret Thacher, I'm sure she never received any bullying because of her name... I almost thought she was a ship, because I was sure someone so unfortunately named wouldn't exist, but I doubt they have admiral ships in Canada. Along with Goto, I too worry for the fate of Japanese Kanmusu command. Hopefully things won't go too poorly, although I fear that he will end up being a personal antagonist to Morgan sometime far too soon.
So, I've always questioned the admirals that don't think a ship spirit won't just decide to turn their guns on them. Especially when they have know those spirits will not rise back sometimes. IF you don't treat them right you could get another abyssal later on.

To be fair that's a universal problem with commissioned officers even with human personnel...
Fair, atleast humans can't just get angry and react with a slap that turns your head into mush.

Though I was more thinking about the massive difference in scale that a ship of war can react with.

Because who in the world thinks abusing the chain of command or making something with cannons bigger than you are angry with you is a good idea.

I'm aware that people like that exist. (Typically people with very strong narcissistic tendencies) But there has to be some manner of checks in place in the navy to not put someone like that in the actual spot where they can make the whole fleet decide to nope out.

Chapter 25.5: Matters of Fairies
Disgraceful!

Scandalous!!

Utterly shameless!!

Crewmen parted like grass before a storm as the Captain stomped through the decks. Fuming was the poorest descriptor of her mood. She was livid. Absolutely, positively galled at their predicament!

Was she cursed? Had she done something in a past life to deserve this torment?

Most likely! The fact she couldn't remember anything beyond their point of summoning was proof of that! Deeds so vile they were purged from her memory to perpetuate her torment! Never would she have solaus in knowing what she'd done to deserve this curse! This ongoing travesty of honor! This masterpiece of disgrace!

Gritting her teeth, she marched into engineering, weaving in between the pipes and boilers until she found the Chief Engineer overseeing the central steam exchange. Drawing herself up to her full height, she, the Captain, proclaimed; "DESU!"

Silence. The enlisted engineers stood frozen, eyes darting to and fro, trying to determine if she was serious.

The Chief Engineer, on the other hand, was not impressed. She came strutting through the crowd, wiping grease off her stubs with a rag. A large belt of tools jangled from her waist.

"Desu," she shot back, letting her know they would do no such thing. Then she pulled a double take. "Desu?"

The Captain recoiled at the accusation, quickly wiping away the stains around her mouth. Curse that old man and his gloriously delicious brown stuff! It was too good!! Turning her impeccable manners into the raving of a starving beast! Even with that primal advantage, she wasn't able to finish the whole thing! The bar was larger than she was!! Glorious, glorious goodness that would last a lifetime, just waiting in her quarters...

She slapped herself out of her daydream, wiping away the drool. There would be time for sweetness later, for now...

"Desu!" she reiterated, gesturing at the pipes. Their vessel was engaged in an act of pure dishonor! A stain upon the name of Musashi! They must put a stop to it by any means necessary!

As the crew gasped aloud, the Chief sighed and motioned for them to calm down. "Desu, desu."

The Captain spluttered, galled that her word had no merit. Instead of arguing a point that would merely bounce off the engineer's thick skull, she grabbed her by the stub and dragged her through the ship. The Chief had to see it with her own eyes to believe it! The horror! The shame!!

They burst out of a hatch onto the deck, jumping overboard to land on a faux granite counter. Musashi had left the old man's abode hours ago to return to this... unorthodox replenishment station. He thought very fondly of it, and for the life of her, the Captain couldn't figure out why!

But that could wait; the deed was happening right in front of them.

Stacks of plates and piles of cutlery surrounded them as the Captain dragged the Chief to a clearing among the filth, gesturing up with a warbling cry, begging the Chief to look and see this abomination!

Musashi, the pride of the Japanese Navy, the finest battleship ever launched, the biggest guns ever set to sea was hunched over the sink washing dishes like a common landlubber! His bare arms were covered in soap suds as he scrubbed a plate with a rag, whistling quietly to himself.

Look at it!! The Captain grabbed the Chief by her nonexistent ears, forcing her to stare at the travesty of honor! It was awful, wasn't it?!

The Chief took one look, then pried herself free and gave the Captain a slap across the cheek with an unimpressed glare. "Desu?"

"Desu!!" the Captain wailed, not even caring about the disrespect as she fell to her knees in despair. She had tried everything to get him to stop, but it was no use!!

"Desu," the Chief said dryly, pointing out that it was only housework.

That only made the Captain wail louder! Yes, yes it was!! Labor unbecoming of a battleship! A stain upon his honor!

To make matters worse, her cry drew the attention of the battleship in question. He glanced their way, then lifted his hands from the suds to give a small wave, then returned to his work muttering something under his breath. "...pay an arm and leg to know Japanese..."

"Desu!!" The Captain screeched, jumping up and marching to the side of the sink. As Musashi looked on, she unloaded on her battleship, reminding him about his standing, the pride he should embody as a vessel of Japan, and that a ship of his standing did not demean himself with menial labor!! Panting, she pointed imperiously at the plate in his hand, commanding him to delegate the task to a subordinate or so help her she would do... something!! She didn't know what, but something!

The command fell on deaf ears. The man blinked, then glanced at the plate. To her horror, he nodded. "Ah, missed a spot. Thanks."

"DESU!!!"

"Don't need to scream, it's been a while since I did this." He smiled, though it didn't quite reach his eyes as he glanced around the kitchen. "...feels like the place has gotten smaller."

Trembling in desperation, Gremlin hurried back to the Chief, shaking the increasingly unimpressed engineer like a broken pachinko machine. Her various tools even made the same jingling sound. But her demands to help stop this dishonor fell on equally deaf ears.

But before the augment could reignite, the front door opened with a loud creak. It was the same old hag who'd picked up Musashi from the airstrip. That was another mystery the Captain was tearing her hair out over. Musashi's feelings about the people inhabiting this station were all over the place, and the Captain couldn't figure out why!! This woman wasn't an Admiral and neither was her husband, but they appeared to operate this strange refueling station and therefore were the cause of this madness!

Putting on a fierce mask of determination, the Captain charged down the counter. The surface was just long enough to reach the doorway of the porch, and she came skidding to a halt just as the woman finished kicking off a pair of rubber boots.

"Desu!!"

The woman jumped, nearly tripping over her own feet as the Captain's overpowering charisma washed over her. And as those two overly large eyes focused on her, the Captain crossed her arms.
"Desu. Desu, desu. Desu!"

Whatever spell she had put over Musashi would not last! Once he eventually broke free justice would be dealt! The stain of his dishonor would be washed away and – what were you doing?!

"Desu," the Chief grumbled an apology up at the flustered human as she dragged the screaming Captain away by the ear.

The woman blinked, bewildered. "Uh... what are...?"

"Fairies, apparently," Musashi replied, rapping his chest. "Got at least two thousand of the little guys in here. Don't ask me how it works."

The rest of the unintelligible conversation faded as the Chief gave Gremlin a good slap upside the head. "Desu?"

"DESU!" she screeched back, pulling on her cheeks as she began hyperventilating. Nothing about this was right!! Where were the officers, the drydocks, the warehouses? Why were they here if it wasn't a Navy installation?! Nothing was making sense anymore!!

A quick slap brought her back to her senses.

"Desu," the Chief said, pointedly. Did it really matter? Musashi was...somewhat happy. Besides, maybe this was some sort of bathhouse. A hot spring. A place to relax; a reward for their heroic stand.

The Captain went stiff with this new possibility, then her eyes narrowed, suspiciously.

"Desu? Desu, DESU??" A bathhouse where their battleship was not catered to his every whim? A bathhouse that degraded their guests with manual labor?! No, it couldn't be!! Something was wrong with this place and she was determined to find out what!

With that, she straightened her cap, tightened her jacket, raised her fist, and swore to all the world that she would get to the bottom of this!

"They're kind of cute, aren't they?"

"DESU!" Silence yamamba! Her spell over Musashi wouldn't last much longer! Not while the brave and heroic Captain still drew breath!!

With one final stink eye in the woman's direction, the Captain charged bravely into the unknown! It wasn't until her stubs met empty air that she realized she'd charged straight off the counter top. Her screech of terror as she fell towards the ground was interrupted by a pair of hands saving her from a painful splat.

But once she had recovered from her close call, the Captain realized it wasn't Musashi who had caught her.

It was the yamamba. The worse kind of witch, leering down at her with something akin to amusement.

"They're much smaller than I thought."

Pausing in his forced labor, Musashi glanced over with a raised brow. "You've seen one before?"

"Only on YouTube. They're crew, right? I thought they didn't come..." She frowned then. "...they need to learn some manners. Too many innuendos are involved when it comes to shipgirls. Anyway, I thought they never left their ships?"

Musashi shrugged. "I wouldn't know, this is all new to me."

The Captain's eyes narrowed as the unintelligible conversation continued. She might not have understood English, but the tone was something she was familiar with. And the witch's spell must have been strong to insnare their battleship like this!

No longer!

"Desu!" the Captain cried, getting the human's attention as she stood on woman's cupped palms.

The woman might have ensnared Musashi, but if she believed she could ensorcell this fairy she had another thing coming! Her will was as strong as iron! As deep as the ocean! And never would she yield to sorcery!

Raising her chin defiantly, the Captain turned... only to realize there was nowhere to go. Peeking over the edge, she realized she was being held much higher up than she thought.

Trying to maintain her dignity, she hunched her shoulders and sourly asked to be lowered to the ground. Yet again, not a single human in this house spoke Japanese. And when the witch cocked her head, confused, the Captain hunched her shoulders and pointed downward with a dour expression.

Admittedly, the woman did have her uses; lowering the Captain with a sound of realization and an apparent apology. She was rewarded with a curt but shrewd nod, before the Captain charged off into the unknown, determined to free her battleship from this spell of embarrassment!

No longer would this woman sully his honor!

As the Captain ran towards a short hallway leading out of the kitchen, she heard the Chief shouting to be let down as well. But her expedition was quickly cut short as she realized just how small this base actually was! The short hallway played host to a small bathroom and bedroom opposite each other. Beyond them were two sets of stairs; one leading down to a pair of bedrooms and a shorter flight leading up to a second living area just above them.

The entire place was painted a faded baby blue, bookshelves seemed to line every wall. Admittedly it had a... pleasant rustic feel to it. Well cared for, despite the slightly musty smell of age. But nowhere was there any trace of Navy decorum!

Where was the Admiral's office?!

Frantically, she turned on her heel, sprinting back toward the living area connected to the kitchen, certain that she'd missed something. Charging past a flustered Chief, who made a grab at her jacket and missed, she passed through the kitchen and into the living room. Putting her impressive fairy strength to good use, she climbed up a chair and onto the large table, hoping to get a better lay of the land.

It certainly provided a view, but it didn't help much. She had searched the entire premises! Aside from the bedrooms, because barging into someone's sleeping area was just plain old rude. She was a ship's Captain, not a degenerate.

Buuut maybe desperate times called for desperate measures because she couldn't find a damn thing!! Even the array of pictures covering the wall was no good! They were all family photos, beautiful landscapes, and other attractions of the civilian world! But this wasn't a family rich in military heritage to constitute apprenticing Musashi to a Sensei! They were farmers! Not a single officer among them! The only severing member among them looked to be straight out of basic! A single picture of a man in an unadorned uniform, clean-shaven and...

...wait.

The Captain blinked, rubbed her eyes, then looked again.

The picture was set apart from all the others, next to a framed certificate and medal. She couldn't read English, but the embellishments were reminiscent of a memorial. A family member who had fallen in the line of duty. That was something the Captain could respect.

But the man's face; clean shaven, a strong brow, narrow lips... were eerily similar to Musashi's. Slap a beard on that face and they'd be the same person.

Her eyes widened at the revelation, darting over to where Musashi was leaning against the sink, talking with the strange woman. They were the same person. This was the home of the stowaway!
The rush of realization continued as her eyes panned from picture to picture; the truth slowly dawning on her. Yet again, there was Musashi in many of the older photos! Younger, smaller, smiling along with a large family. And with each picture that featured the strange woman, the Captain finally realized who she was.

"William... what happened to your eyes?"

The question interrupted the fairy's racing thoughts, her eyes darting back to the pair. The woman was on her tiptoes, trying to reach Musashi's cheeks, but he turned away with such a sense of shame it stole the breath from the Captain's lungs.

"Best kept secret in the world, I'm afraid," he mumbled, unable to meet her eyes. "Don't. Please, just... don't ask."

Language might have been a barrier, but no words were required to understand the pain that flitted across the woman's face. Nor the love and acceptance as she wrapped him in a hug. And as Musashu returned the gesture, the Captain understood.

The pictures, the woman, it all made sense.

"Desu..." she whispered in awe.

She's a slipway.

Panting and cursing, the Chief hauled herself onto the table, struggling under the weight of her tools. Her panting was replaced with a yelp as the Captain yanked her over, pointing out the clues to her revelation, before finally gesturing to where the installation was comforting her grieving construct.

That's why they were here! It wasn't a military installation, but it was the stowaway's place of construction! So this was a reward after all!

But her self-assured grin quickly turned upside down.

That still didn't explain why they made him do the dishes like a common menial!

But the Chief was taking the news very differently. In fact, she looked trapped in the middle of an existential crisis; looking back and forth between the walking slipway and her progeny with paling features. "D-Desu? DESU??"

This time it was the Captain's turn to slap some sense back into the fairy; something she relished far more than she should have. And as the Chief rubbed the back of her head, the Captain asked what the trouble was. Why, this was no different than if the true Musashi met Nagasaki! Sure, it would be a little weird if the shipyard grew legs, but the point still stood!

Besides, weirder things had happened.

Just look at the stowaway, for example.

But the Chief was close to hyperventilating, staring at the woman with something halfway between horror and awe. This behavior prompted another, harder slap which sent the Engineer spinning before the Captain grabbed her cheeks, holding her so they were nose to nose.

"Desu. Desu. DESU," she reiterated, slowly and steadily.

Everything was perfectly fine.

Maybe.

"D-Desu..." the Chief warbled, uncharacteristically pale.

No, everything was not fine! Nothing about this was fine! The logical nature of the world had been thrown into disarray!

The Captain had to throw up her arms in exasperation. They were crewmen of a walking contradiction! A stowaway had claimed Musashi's hull as his own; it didn't get much more illogical than that!

The Chief regained a bit of her gruff stoicism to point up that ship metaphysics was always in flux and could never be relied upon. However, there were laws in the natural world that couldn't be broken; but this woman was violating each and every single one of them! Her voice grew more hysterical, her gestures more expansive as she tried to list every possible factor as to how something that big coming out of someone that small was simply impossible!!

Nagasaki had to be completely overhauled to even consider the contract for Musashi! The slipway needed to be reinforced ten times over! This woman looked like a stray breeze could knock her over!

She gestured with a warbling cry, begging the Captain to see the size difference between them! It was impossible and quite frankly terrifying to think about! How did she do it!? HOW?!

A third slap tried to knock some sense back into the conversation, with the Captain pointing out that humans, unlike ships, grew over time. They weren't launched with a fully assembled hull, they needed time to mature and grow bigger. Like trees. Or in the stowaway's case; a weed.

Either way, it didn't matter. Now they had a firm understanding of why they were here in the first place.

"Desu?" Regaining a bit of her composure, the Chief demanded to know what that reason was.

After a short pause, the Captain placed her hands on her hips and proudly proclaimed that the clues were all assembled, it would just take time to decipher them. Whether it was for refurbishment or work-up training, a small measure of rest and relaxation was entitled!

But that still didn't explain why Musashi was spoiling his relaxation by doing the dishes!

"Desu?" The Chief suggested.

But the mere idea that Musashi wanted to do the work made the Captain squeal in horror.

HERSEY!! A stain upon his honor! Unthinkable! Unconceivable!! Officers didn't work; they got the common folk to do it for them!!

Before the argument could come to further blows, the destroyer analogs burst through the front door, kicking off their footwear haphazardly.

"Eli!" the girl whined.

"I'll pick them up later!" the older boy shot back.

"You always say that but you never do!"

"Kids, remember your indoor voices," the older woman said, giving Musashi a warm smile as she turned to the younger humans. They quieted down almost instantly, the boys murmuring apologies as they put their muddy boots on rubber mats in the corner.

But a burst of emotion from Musashi caught the Captain off guard. He was watching the exchange closely, face oddly blank as he watched his mother hug the children as they climbed up from the porch. Soon, their delighted chatter filled the air again as they presented her with an old shoebox, holding it up like a trophy.

While his expression revealed little, the Captain could feel Musashi's every emotion; and the sense of grief pouring off her battleship was almost overpowering. A deep loss, twinged with undercurrents of fear clouded the connection between the ship and its Captain. A feeling that only intensified as the children paused in their chattering when they saw him.

Unable to hide his dismay, Musashi turned back to the sink and started washing another plate. The pain of their rejection was written plain across his face.

"Oh, don't be scared," the woman cooed, taking the destroyers up in her arms. "Uncle William is a big, cuddly teddy bear when you get to know him."

"But he's scary," the younger boy whispered.

As childish as the complaint was, the Captain could feel how much it affected her ship; even if his smile hid the pain well. "Aw, come on, I don't bite."

Whatever this assurance was – curse the absence of Japanese – it only seemed to make the situation worse. The destroyers clustered behind the human matron, using her as a shield against Musashi's gaze.

Indignant at the treatment of her vessel, the Captain was ready to give those lightweights a piece of her mind. The old woman beat her to the punch. Probably for the best. Few were able to withstand the charisma of the Captain.

"You three are going to be fine," she said, patting them all on the head before gently pushing them in Musashi's direction. But as her gaze drifted down to the box, her expression became somewhat strained. "Although now that he's back you need to stop digging through his stuff. Okay?"

"My stuff?" Musashi frowned. "What do you mean 'my stuff?'"

The destroyers froze like deer in headlights, looking between the box and the battleship with paling faces.

Slowly dropping to his knees, Musashi took the small box and opened the lid. A rush of surprise and nostalgia overwhelmed the bond as he saw what lay inside. Intrigued, the Captain stood on her tip-toes to try and see inside, but the table was too far away for it to make any difference. Musashi solved that problem by lifting a small object out of the box and holding it up to the light. But as the shape was revealed, the Captain blinked in disbelief.

It was a toy soldier. A painted toy soldier. About a third the size of a fairy and standing on a black base, it was clad in a bulk suit of armor and carrying a rifle which had more in common with an ammo crate than a weapon. It was the most ridiculous thing the Captain had ever seen.

But Musashi cradled that toy like it was made of gold.

"You kept my armies?" he asked, voice little more than a whisper.

"All of it," his mother smiled, sadly. "We were certain you were coming back so we decided to hang onto it... but, over time, we just... forgot it was there."

Her smile became more genuine as she ruffled each of the destroyer's hair. "Until these little rascals started digging through it for all the 'cool toys' you kept lying around."

"Cool toys?" As indignant as his voice was, it was impossible to deny the relief that flooded his face. "So the scary uncle has all the cool toys, huh?"

"We didn't know it was yours," the oldest boy whispered. But further conversation halted as the woman stood.

"I have an idea, let all go and make sure you three haven't broken anything, okay?"

"Do we have to?"

"Yes, you do. Come along."

As the small fleet donned their footwear, the Captain turned to the Chief with a self-assured smirk. Musashi was integrating himself well. Then as the front door was opened, a realization struck the pair. Their eyes widened.

"DESU!!"

Clambering off the table, the two sprinted as fast as their stubby legs could take them, but it was already too late. The front door closed with a thud, and out a window Musashi could be seen hurrying away with the group, leaving the Captain and Chief Engineer panting in the kitchen.

...Marooned...

Falling to her knees, the Captain wailed in horror. Marooned by their own-

"Desu!" the Chief yowled.

He was coming back! He slept here, after all. Stop being so dramatic!

"Desu!" the Captain shot back.

She would stop being dramatic, as the Cheif said, when the situation stopped being any less true! It was the principle that mattered! Musashi had set sail without them! That spoke of a lack of awarness worse than the Captain suspected! Forgoing role call before departure was an unforgivable offense! Bad things happened when the proper protocol wasn't followed!

Like forgetting the Captain!!

And
the Chief Engineer, the other Fairy pointed out, forcing the Captain to agree. Yes, Musashi forgot two of the more important crewmen. Wasn't it awful!!

"Desu," the Cheif repeated, sourly.

"DESU?!" And how did she know that? It could be hours, days, weeks before he returned!!

But before the argument could continue... there was a sound. A small sound; one so muted they almost missed it. The two fairies locked eyes, discourse entirely forgotten. A single nod from the Chief confirmed they had both heard the same thing.

"Desu?" the Captain breathed, rushing to the kitchen's large bay window. The Chief followed close behind, squishing her face against the glass for a better view.

The bay window opened up on an expansive vista. A long deck spanned the outer wall, with a short step leading down a concrete pad where a few vehicles were parked. Beyond that was a dilapidated shack of a garage. The roof was caved in on one side, the large doors were crooked and hung from their hinges, and all the windows were cracked or missing. Despite this, the walls were covered by a bright coat of paint, and the crumbling foundation was surrounded by flower beds.

Beyond that crumbling ruin were some of the most gorgeous fields the Captain had ever seen. Green grass gave way to wooded brush far in the distance. A large herd of cattle could be seen, grazing their way across the expanse, creating a scene worthy of art.

But the perfect vista wasn't what drew the Fairy's attention. No, their gazes were fixed on the crumbling foundation of the garage. Age had cracked the concrete beyond repair, leaving dark crevices and tunnels leading into the dark interior of the building. But drifting out from one of these cracks came the sound.

And as the source trundled into the light, the Fairies gasped aloud.

It was small, white, and oh-so fluffy. A kitten with such perfect proportions of floof it resembled a ball of fur with ears. Eyes as blue as the ocean sky looked around, before sat among the flowers and meowed to the sky. A truly fierce battle cry that melted the ice around the Captain's black leathery heart.

It was love at first sight.

Glancing over at the Chief, the Captain could see the same idea burning in her eyes.

----​

Musashi did eventually come back, but the two Fairies were too deep in plotting to care. That night, as the battleship slumbered, his crew gathered in the officer's mess, commissioned and enlisted crew alike. But the confusion at the sudden meeting was overshadowed by the sheer shock of seeing the Captain and Chief Engineer working together to carry in an easel covered by a sheet.

Word around the ship was that the two were at each other's throats more often than not, so this cooperation was downright scary.

Placing the easel at the head of the room, the Captain surveyed the group. Nodding in satisfaction, she gave a single command.

"Desu!"

Behind her, the Chief ripped away the sheet with a flourish, revealing the picture beneath. For a moment, there was total silence. Then a collective 'daw' swept through the crowd, some even fainted at the sheer amount of floof on display.

"Desu!" the Captain proclaimed, beginning her speech, impressing upon her crew the importance of this new task thrust upon them.

As more details came to light, the excitement in the room mounted. It began spreading throughout the ship as whispers of their new target began to circulate. A mission the likes of which they had never faced before.

Back in the mess, the Captain was hammering a stub into her palm, driving her crew into a righteous fervor as the cheers grew louder and louder. Not only was this mission vital to the morale of the crew but to Musashi himself! An asset that couldn't be measured in Yen or Gold, but in the joy that filled their hearts! This would sooth his pain, ease his concerns, and provide more cuddles than a fleet of destroyers!

But it would take skill! Patience! And above all, dedication beyond the call of duty! The Captain needed volunteers to make this vision a reality! So who was with her?

Almost every single hand aboard shot skyward, cheers resounding through the hull as their course was set. Casks of Sake and Black Nector were cracked open; a glorious toast was called at the embarkment of their new mission!

On that night, the Fairies of Musashi swore that they would honor this task as if it was passed on by the Emperor himself! As though Japan itself was at stake! After all, what could be more important than acquiring a ship's cat?

Current objectives:

William: Rest and recover from a horrific ordeal. Reconnect with family and enjoy life.

Fairies: GET CAT.

This segment came together pretty quick and since it didn't exactly match the mood of William's perspective, it get's its own chapter. Enjoy this one on me!

Last edited:
Main character: dealing with the existential grief of loosing so many years of his life, his unwilling transformation into a walking metal engine of violence and death, and the haunting knowledge that what did this to him is still very much an actor in the world.
Side character: Cute Kitty Go Brrrr

You kinda did this meme in the main chap notes... So I'll add some other stuff.
I wonder what will end up dragging him back into action? While it would be best for him mentally to get a whole lot of downtime and rest, the narrative this far has been more interested in pushing him to his absolute limits. While I don't doubt we'll get a few chapters of rest (which will let us focus on other developments and side characters, like this chapter), letting him come to terms with his situation and mentally relax back to baseline wouldn't fit what seems to be the general trend of the story.

Perhaps this is a turning point, but I haven't gotten the impression it would be. Too much angst (the good kind) and difficulties for me to see this marking 'he's on his feet now'.

Chapter 26: Left Behind
When it came to changes, the shop yard varied the most. The buildings were still the same; old tin-sided sheds constructed long before William was born. But the new equipment was certainly a sight to see.

Sure, the old tractors were still there, sitting in a line along the yard's edge. The trio of Deutz-Fahr's had clearly seen better days. They were already old before he vanished, but now the windows and green paint were streaked with grim; evidence of months, if not years, left exposed to rain and the elements. Despite the decay, William was confident those engines could still turn over at a moment's notice.

...assuming the starters weren't fried.

Their places in the sheds were occupied by far newer pieces of equipment: Tractors of a brand William didn't recognize. They were minimalist to the extreme, lacking the flowing designs of modern tractors in favor of a rugged industrial utility.

He'd have to investigate that later.

But the tractors weren't the only new additions to the yard; a long line of shipping containers ran along the western boundary. His mother led them to the end of the line where the smallest container sat.

As relieved as he was that some aspect of his past life had survived, William felt a small trill of trepidation as he undid the latches and eased the doors open. The musty scent of old cardboard and fuel struck his nose first, then the light panned over the neat rows of boxes and shelves. But there, at the back of the container, was something he never expected to see again.

"You kept my bike?" he whispered, carefully stepping through the stacks of boxes to the motorcycle buried at the back.

"We kept everything," his mother said, smiling. "...well, except the car. The oil sensor broke and we didn't realize that until it was too late."

In the pause that followed, her smile faded as she surveyed the array of boxes. "We thought you were coming back. We didn't know what happened, but... we were praying so hard, praying for you to be safe, praying for you to come home. It didn't feel right to sell any of it, not when we were still holding onto hope."

She shook her head. "Over time, we just... forgot about it, I guess."

William's stomach twisted uncomfortably, but that didn't stop him from sending her a grateful smile. It was a touch overwhelming, honestly. He hadn't expected to get this much of his life back.

The Honda SCL500 was hardly a fancy bike; in fact, it hadn't even been working when he bought it. It was advertised as spare parts. You could hear the frustration of the previous owner in every word of the ad, lamenting the dozens of replacement parts going to waste and how he was giving up on the project.

While the bike's condition wasn't appealing, its size was. When it came to men as large as he was, finding a proportional bike was a challenge. And yeah, the power-to-weight ratio was important, but William wanted something he could actually fit on. Far too many trips to the dealerships ended in laughs when he started resembling Hulk Hogan on a kid's bicycle. He'd been big long before he was a battleship.

And the price alone made it worthy of consideration.

The opinions of his buddies, however, were a mixed bag. Plenty of them called it a terrible idea, but a few were curious enough to offer advice; ruling out different faults based on what the previous owner had tried fixing. After much discussion, it came down to three parts the owner had missed. While the detractors still called it a stupid idea, everyone was now curious.

After weighing the pros and cons, William recruited their help, borrowed a trailer and truck, and brought the bike home a few days later.

Not even a week later he was feeling the buyer's remorse. Everything looked good; none of the issues the boys had speculated were at fault and now he was sitting on a pile of junk. He was about to admit defeat when he caught a faint whiff of arid smoke when trying the ignition one last time.
As it turned out, a bad solder was causing a short in the ignition switch. The problem was almost invisible to the naked eye, but when repeated attempts to start had finally started melting plastic, his nose picked up on it.

Oh, it was a day of victory when he pulled up to the Company's bay door amid the cheers of the boys.

Smiling at the bittersweet memory, William straddled the bike, his hands finding the familiar placement on the handlebars. The suspension creaked as the springs sank far lower than he remembered. Moreover, everything felt uncomfortable. His arms scrunched up awkwardly and his knees almost impeded with steering. He cursed quietly under his breath. The bike which had gotten specifically for its size was now too small for him.

Hiding his frustration behind a chuckle, he looked at his mother, bobbing up and down to make the springs creak. "Like a gorilla riding a tricycle, don't cha think?"

She laughed, and it even pulled a giggle out of Eli.

Aside from the disappointment over his bike, everything else was in good order. That being said, his mom wasn't kidding when she said 'everything.' It got ridiculous when he peeked into a box labeled 'toiletries' and found his old razer. And even though he didn't consider his memory the best, it seemed the entire contents of his bathroom had found their way into this box. Shower curtains included.

"Waste not, want not, I guess," William mumbled, holding up the razor.

Old hardly did it justice. There was a deeper kinship with those blades than some of his battle buddies. That razor had been his first purchase in St Jean, Quebec. It had sat in his locker during every inspection and had gotten him jacked up on more than one occasion. Cleaning the thing had caused him no end of grief throughout Basic and even into DP1.

Their Warrant Officer had permitted them to grow mustaches on course. Only later did they realize it was at the cost of greater scrutiny of their razors. Oh, it got bad once the field exercises rolled around. There were far too many Generation Kill references to count. They came out of the training area tired, sweaty, and sore, but their mustaches were immaculate.

Hell, he could still make out flecks of green spray paint along the handle from when they had 'tacticalized' their grooming kits.

The blades were duller than butter knives when he tried it against his cheek. But a quick dig through the box turned up the sleeve of replacements. Lo and behold, after more than a decade of catering to his needs, one spare blade remained.

Ejecting the old blades into the floor, he slotted the new one into place. The tiny clicks as the two pieces latched together rang with the same satisfaction as loading a shotgun. And as he held the new blades up to the light, he had to laugh at the ridiculousness of the situation.

Out of all the aspects of his life that had survived his ordeal, why was a stupid razor giving him the most nostalgia?

Pain was only temporary, but the grooming standard was forever.

"I have need of your services again, old friend."

Whether or not the razor was pleased or horrified at its continual use, the moment was interrupted as his mother pressed the old blades into his hand. "If you make a mess in here, you'll clean it up. Alright?"

And like the grooming standard, some things never changed.

"Sure, mom."

She smiled, rubbing his shoulder comfortingly as she surveyed the heap of boxes. "How about you show the kids your other toys? They keep getting into the knights, but I've never seen them play with any others."

"Knights? These are space marines, Mom." Then he gave her a side long look in mock offence. "And what do you mean, toys? These are not merely toys."

Quickly sorting through the stack, he found the box he was looking and pulled out a Necron warrior. It was easy to ignore his melancholy while on a semi-offended rant. Holding the small model up to the light, he presented it like a Harvard professor. "These are not merely toys, mother. This is a drug on the level of crack and heroin. Boxed injections of overpriced plastic designed to sit and wait on one's shelf until you are bored enough to sit down and paint."

In the pause that followed, William shrugged helplessly. "And they are fun to build, I guess. The game isn't so bad either. At least when RNGesus is in your favor."

Looking past her, William held out the warrior to the three kids huddled at the entrance. "You wanna see a spooky skeleton robot?"

They hesitated, but Eli stepped forward first, tentatively taking the model and turning it over in his hand. "Where did you get these painted?" he asked, hesitantly.

William mock recoiled. "What?? My boy, I painted these myself!"

He pulled out a silver Immortal next and handed it over for examination. "Each and everyone is a work of my own hands! But I'll gladly accept the compliment."

Eli looked up, mouth in a thin line as if he couldn't decide whether to smile or not. "...they're okay, I guess."

"Just okay, he says. The work of a master rests in the palm of your hand and it's just 'okay'." William huffed, playfully, looking away with a roll of his eyes. "Everyone's a critic."

Eli did smile at that. It was a slight, awkward smile; as if unable to determine if his Uncle's offense was real. But it was William's greatest victory so far.

But as the older nephew turned to show the prize to his siblings, William felt his mom's hand on his shoulder again. But when he glanced her way, her expression made him pull a double take.
Logically, he knew that time had its effects, but those seven years still caught him off guard. His perception of the past clouded everything, and only when he truly looked did the passage of time become apparent.

While it was true that Martha Morgan had aged prematurely from caring for such a large family, those familiar lines on her face had deepened dramatically. Wrinkles creased the plains where smooth skin once reigned supreme and noticeable pooches hung under her eyes. The hair she had always worn in a ponytail was a collage of black transitioning into steel colored straw.

She looked every bit like a grandmother.

He just hadn't seen it until now. It was... jarring.

"What? Seriously, what?"

"Are you alright?" she whispered. "You were never this... talkative before."

William sighed, gently shrugging off her grip. "I'm fine, mom. It's just... awkward silences. Can't stand them anymore.

He smiled, hoping the expression didn't look as forced as it felt.

"I'm fine. Really."

She clearly didn't believe him, if the frown was any indication, but eventually nodded, motioning around to the other boxes. "Are you going to be here a while? I need to get supper started."

"Yeah... yeah, might as well, uh... make sure everything is still intact." His smile was even weaker than before. "Thanks. Just... for everything. All this..."

He couldn't go on, too choked up for words.

With that same sad smile, his mother hugged him, then ushered the kids back towards the house.

"Food will be ready in an hour and a half!" she called over her shoulder. "And if you make a mess in there make sure you clean it up, okay?"

"Got it!" he called after her, listening to her footsteps fade into the distance. In the following pause, all he could do was stand there, taking it all in. He was grateful, sure, that so much of his life had been saved. But even with his worldly possessions stacked around him, it felt like he was standing on a pile of ash.

Outside, the wind had paused to take a breath, leaving the world to hang in suspense. Not a leaf rustled, not a blade of grass bent, and not even a single car drove down those dusty roads; not a single living thing dared break that spell.

Silence.

His chest felt tight; the air in his throat oozing like tar. He couldn't breathe. He glanced out the door, half expecting to see those yellow mists creeping in to drag him back into their depths. But their complete absence only made the terror worse.

It felt like the Abyss was still hanging over him, utterly silent, utterly invisible... but always there, hanging over him.

And just before the silence could swallow him whole, the wind came rushing back and shook the leaves in the trees. It spread like a wave pushing away the spectral presence, returning life to the world one blade of grass at a time.

But it didn't bring any peace.

Leaning against the wall, he slid down to the floor, holding his head in his hands as he fought to get his breath back under control. It seemed nature itself tried to ease his fear; but the sounds of birds, the wind, and the grass might as well have been curtains of glass. Through they tried, nothing could erase what lay beneath the sounds of the world.

A silence he could never escape...

----​

In the end, once he managed to get himself under control, William collected only a few items to bring back with him. A few of his old pillows, blankets, painting supplies, plus a few models from his pile of shame. Right from the beginning the therapist recommended reviving a few of his old hobbies. He might as well paint a model or two that night. Try to ease himself back into normalcy.

Good advice; except they seemed to have very different definitions of 'normalcy'. As he walked back to the house, supplies in hand, he did his best not to look up at the sky. The evening twilight turned the clouds an uncomfortable, familiar hue.

On the bright side, however, supper was a far lighter affair. As the spring chill gradually set in, his dad lit the wood stove, filling the living room with a comforting orange warmth. And while his niece and nephews still weren't comfortable with him, the shock of his sudden appearance had worn off to some degree.

That, and his mother's Beef Soup could get anyone to liven up. While they weren't exactly bouncing off the walls, the twins were giving their grandparents an animated recount of their day. Christopher kept making wide gestures with his spoon, flinging droplets of soup in all directions while his sister, mother, and grandmother tried – and failed – to help him keep his manners.

Given their own upbringing, it was no surprise that Adrian and Monica had chosen to homeschool the kids over more contemporary methods. Although, it was a little startling to hear just how much the community had expanded. William vaguely recalled a few parties and get-togethers while he was under the same program, but for the most part, he worked alone. All his assignments would be listed on a sheet and – after much exacerbation on his mother's part – he would email them in for grading when completed. He wasn't a good student, but the work got done in the end.

But the mock trial his nieces and nephews described was something he'd never encountered before, least of all in a homeschool curriculum. They were still too young to play the part of lawyers, but Christopher described how they were allowed to watch the older students act as defendants, prosecutors, witnesses, and jury. To top it off, a real Justice had volunteered to preside over the case.
While Christopher blurted out details in no particular order, his mother diligently filled in the gaps, gently prompting the boy to be more concise in his retelling.

As the sky turned dark outside the windows, the lit stove bathed the room in a comforting yellow light, hearkening back to peaceful nights before he'd even joined the army. And as entertaining as the retelling of the day's events were, William couldn't help the familiar pangs of isolation.

Where did he even begin to catch up? What could he say?

It left him sitting awkwardly at the head of the table – the only place he could fit comfortably – listening and grinning whenever Christopher and Christa devolved into the usual sibling arguments, usually over one detail or another.

Eli, however, felt more reserved than usual. And given how they'd only met that morning, that was saying something. He hadn't put down the Necron Warrior, but kept turning it over in his hands, examining it from every angle. It was unusual behavior if his parent's attempts to draw him into the conversation were any indication.

You didn't need three guesses to know what had him clamping up. The glances towards his newly discovered uncle were enough. With each side-eyed glance, William debated packing up and leaving them in peace, until Eli suddenly held out the model.

"What... what did you call this again?"

The table paused as all eyes flicked to the battleship in the room. For his part, William was frozen mid chew, somewhat taken aback. He swallowed quickly, shuddering as the under-chewed hunk of beef nearly caught in his throat.

"That's uh... that's one of my spooky boys."

Eli blinked, face torn between confusion and... a smile.

"Really?"

"Okay, it's a Necron Warrior," William admitted, waving a hand dismissively. "I just called them my spooky boys and all that. I think it's funny."

The boy nodded, again turning the model over in his hand. "And you really painted it yourself?"

"Of course I did," William grunted, allowing a bit of mock offense to seep through. Hesitantly, for fear the boy would withdraw at a moment's notice, William pointed at a small off colored patch on the Warrior's foot. "You see that spot right there, how it's a different shade from everything else? I ran out of paint halfway through finishing this guy."

That... wasn't a complete fib; he had run out of Leadbelcher because he left the cap off over night. Over four nights, actually. Mandatory military fun in the form of a 'camping trip' and his forgetfulness had cost him a pretty penny. After that disappointment and examining the pros and cons, he'd gone with a cheaper acrylic brand.

Aside from a slightly different shade, and getting more bang for your buck, there was virtually no difference. None of his opponents had noticed, anyway.

"But yeah, it's nothing too fancy. Slap on some primer, some metallic bronze and gunmetal, throw a little white in the eyes and exposed cabling, slather it in shading... and you have an acceptable paint job." William leaned in for a closer look and was relieved when Eli didn't pull away. "Actually, just looking at this guy... this is when I started experimenting with glow effects. You see that little darker strip of green just below the eyes."

Eli squinted. "Yeah."

And the more into painting they got, the more comfortable the atmosphere became. But the topic of painting gradually shifted into what a Necron Warrior was and why William called them 'the spooky boys.'

Thus was a pleasant evening meal corrupted into a lore fest.

"Oh, it's miles upon endless miles of the most priceless crap you can imagine," William drawled, making an expansive gesture to illustrate his point. The trio listened curiously, the other two drawn in by talk of zombie robots verses space elves. They weren't quite giggling as William exaggerated Trazyn's impressive collection, but they weren't disinterested either. Even Adrian, who had never been too interested in war gaming listened with half an ear.

It was his mother who shot him a glare; mouthing 'language' at him.

Rolling his eyes good naturally, William continued. "Rumour has it, he has the Declaration of Independence in there. So technically speaking, it's not the United States of America. Hasn't been for a long time. It's the United States of Trazyn."

Christa slapped her spoon down on the table, aligning it neatly with her bowl before raising her chin imperiously. "That sounds very important to me."

"Oh, it is, it is," William assured her. "But do you know what else he has that's super important? Socks."

Christoper tilted his head in confusion, allowing soup to drip off his chin onto his shirt. He leaned back as his sister thrust a napkin into his face. "Socks?"

"Socks," William confirmed, sagely. "Since the dawn of their inception, all drying machines have been connected to Trazyn's gallery. So whenever he feels like it, he can reach into someone's laundry and steal one of their socks to add to his collection."

"But didn't you say he only 'collects' priceless stuff?" Eli pointed out, chewing a large hunk of potato. "Socks don't cost that much."

Christa pouted. "Eli! Close your mouth!"

"True," William agreed. "And I got to admit, your sister is right. You'll be catching flies in no time. In this case, however, he does it purely to spite the living. Every decade or so, he'll go up to his massive wall covered in people's stolen socks and laugh at the misery he's caused. Think about it! Trillions upon trillions of socks gone without a trace! Countless people throughout the ages screamed up to the heavens, 'what happened my socks?! They were here just a moment ago! Where did they go?' And Trazyn the Infinite just sits there and cackles with glee: Their anguish sustains him."

"What kind of cackle?" Eli asked.

William thought about for a moment. "Have you ever heard of Skeletor?"

"...no."

"Then it goes something like this." Taking a deep breath, he belted out the best impression he could muster. "NEEEEeehehehehehahahahaha!"

That got a giggle out of the youngest nephew, who immediately demanded to hear it again. But it was only after the third request that his mother put a stop to it. Eli, however, was damn near captivated by the little Necron.

"I didn't know you painted things this old," he admitted, sheepishly.

"Old?!" William recoiled in mock offense. "OLD?? Why, I'll have you know that... uh..."
If he remembered correctly, 40k was launched in 1987... add in the time displacement which would make the game...

"Wow... it's almost forty years old." He processed that fact for a moment, than gave his grinning nephew a exaggerated frown. "Okay, I'll admit, it's an acquired taste. But I can assure you, it's no different than Monopoly. And that game has aged like fine wine laced with cyanide. Just ask your dad; we almost came to blows a few times."

"There's a few older kids in our group that talk about Warhammer sometimes," Eli said, distracting himself with the model. "But they never bring any models with them. They say they'll be really valuable in a few years."

William shrugged. "Well... a well painted army can have some value, but not as much as these guys think."

Eli shrugged. "I don't know, they say when the workshop goes out of business they'll get more valuable. I don't know how; it's only plastic, but they seem to think it will."

"Wha- A workshop? Games Workshop?" William's mouth dropped open. "They can't go out of business! They're Games Workshop! Love them or hate them, they still have one of the biggest IPs out there!"

"That's not what everyone else is saying."

Confused, William leaned back in his chair. Games Workshop going out of business? He wasn't a big fan of the company, but the claim was ridiculous. How could they be going out of business?
Warhammer was only picking up steam when he vanished. The kid must have gotten them mixed up with another company or something.

Even as his mind raced, he realized this was a subject to ask the internet, not the dinner table. Eli was watching him, expectantly.

He sighed. "Well... things must have changed since I left."

"And where did you go?" Christopher piped up. "Dad said you died in the woods somewhere."

This statement, spoken with the innocence of a child, caused the adults to recoil. Adrian looked particularly horrified. But before anyone could shush him, William clapped his hands, silencing them all with the loud crack it produced.

"I want to hear about this mock trial instead," he laughed, forcing the words through his tight throat. "Who won? Who went to jail?"

"Missus Artichoke the Third," Christa supplied, raising her chin proudly. "She was convicted on three counts of fraud!"

The conversation gradually relaxed, though William was certain his nephew was in for a little chat when he got home. Aside from that small hiccup, it was a pleasant dinner. Sure, the adults didn't talk too much, but they seemed perfectly happy to let him connect with the younger members of the family.

Eli in particular was fascinated with painting; constantly turning the Necron Warrior over to admire the colors. And much to William's surprise, he even asked for a painting lesson, citing that he wanted to paint some models of his own.

It was an olive branch William graciously agreed to.

But the good times couldn't last. Soon the kids were yawning between each sentence, prompting their father to announce that it was time to go home. No sleepover at Grandma and Grandpa's tonight, not when Uncle William needed his rest.

"They're starting to warm up to you," Martha noted, watching as the growing family followed the path heading west through the shop yard towards their house. It was close enough to walk, so they hadn't bothered to drive.

With a full day of lessons tomorrow it could be a while before he saw them again.

"It's a start," William nodded along, grimacing slightly. Despite all the apparent progress, he watched them go with a sense of odd sense of trepidation. As if the night would brush it all away and he'd be stuck at square one again. "I didn't even know they existed until this morning. It's... still surprising."

He thought for a moment. "Am I trying too hard? I want them to like me, just... is this too much?"

His mom's silence was telling. Her pitying look made the guilt cut deeper. "Will, please... what happened?"

William said nothing, the trepidation growing worse as the family faded into the darkening twilight. He shook his head.

"Will..."

"I can't, mom. I just can't," he said, with a little more force than he intended. "It's classified and all that. Please just don't ask."

There was a long pause. "Does it have to do with your eyes?"

He took a deep breath. "If I said yes would you stop? I can't talk about it."

Not when he could hear the silence of the Abyss hanging outside, lingering between each gust of wind as they shook the old house.

The look of pity only grew deeper as she rested a hand on his bicep, the highest part of his arm she could comfortably reach. "We want to help you, Will. You know that, right?"

"I know..."

His parent went to bed shortly afterward, citing a long day of work tomorrow. And though they wouldn't say it, William was grateful for the space it provided. He didn't want to seem ungrateful, but he didn't want to face anymore questions, not tonight. Instead, he began arranging his paints and brushes on the kitchen table.

Amazingly, all his supplies had survived their seven years in storage. After crafting a quick wet palette out of a wet rage and wax paper, and filling separate glasses so his metallic paints wouldn't leech into his pure acrylic ones, he placed a single, grey Lychguard on the table.

It was a comforting ritual, and he paused to bask in the satisfaction of his perfect setup. Brushes and palette on one side, paint and water pots on the other.

For a single moment, he felt like Michelangelo, preparing himself to paint the Sistine Chapel. He waggled his fingers, working out the kinks as he envisioned this new warrior on the field.
With that image in place, it was right to work with step one. Primer.

A quick foray outside with his trusty spray can solved that issue. Setting the model on a napkin to dry he prepared step two. A painting session wouldn't be the same without a mindless lore video droning on in the background. But even as he opened Youtube and searched for familiar channels, Eli's words hung above him like a cloud.

He wasn't a die-hard fan; more like a casual enjoyer of the game and models with a deep appreciation of the lore. In fact, his discovery of the universe predated his first model by almost a decade.He honestly didn't give two shits about the company. They sold him models, a game, and a story, nothing more.

But... going out of business?

He had joined long after the Primarius were released, but he was fully aware of the controversy they caused. Yet despite all the hate, the company was just too big to fail. They had too many IPs to go belly up like that. All the evidence pointed towards the company surviving to this day, but... seven years.

But as he scrolled through the search results, his fears seemed unfounded. Good old Valrak was still running strong and his latest video was racking up quite a viewing. The thumbnail, however, was somewhat concerningfrom a lore stand point. Leman Russ, his head hung low, and face set in a dejected grimace, next to the emblaze words; Last Words.

"Huh, so they did bring back more Primarchs," William noted, scrolling through the search results. They all showed some variation of the same thing. Space Wolves fighting to the death, which was nothing new... but even in the artwork there was sense of desperation. It was more prominent in a thumbnail featuring four of the loyalist Primarchs: Guilliman, The Lion, the Khan, and Russ all hanging their heads around the words; Is this the end?

"So... has Chaos bombed Terra or something?"

Honestly, that sounded pretty exciting. Way to move the plot forward.

Tapping on Valrak's video, he picked up the Lychguard and began laying down a silver base coat. But his brush slowed to a stop as nothing but silence came from the speakers. Looking over, he confirmed the video was playing; rather it was the host who was lost for words. There was no music, no gameplay footage; just a man with more grey hair than William remembered surrounded by shelves of his Imperial Fists.

Finally, Valrak looked into the camera and let out a long sigh. "Well folks, I don't what to say... the day is finally here."

A little concerned, William resumed painting. He was a little put off by Valrak's appearance. He was much thinner, and not in a healthy way, either. And his tone wasn't the one he used for big lore reveals. It sounded like he was at a funeral.

"It's over. It's done. Warhammer 40k is dead. Games Workshop finally declared bankruptcy this morning."

The words brought William's brush to a screeching halt as he looked at his phone.
"It shouldn't be a surprise. We all saw the writing on the wall," Valrak continued. "But now that it's actually happened..."

He trailed off, running a hand down his face. "To make matters worse, our negotiations have fallen through. Game Workshop filed before our deal could be finalized. It's official. All their IPs are going up for sale on the public market. Now granted, there is still a chance we can save it, but... it could cost far, far more than the price we were promised."

William glanced down at his Lychguard then back to the screen. "For sale? What?"

As the explanation continued, Valrak thanked everyone for their donations but ultimately admitted that it might mean nothing in the great scheme of things. This little coalition of dedicated fans simply couldn't pull together the funds to purchase the IP. The admission left the Youtuber hanging his head, almost on the verge of a breakdown.

"Like... I just feel betrayed, you know? I love this universe, I love the stories, the lore, and it's all going away. Just like that. I read your comments, I read the discord, and know how a lot of you feel the same way. Warhammer was our hobby once the war started." He gave a strangled snort. "It's funny that this grim dark universe helped distract us from all the grim darkness in our own world."
He took a deep breath, shaking his head. "I was trying to do my part, you know. Trying to keep people's spirits up, help us all have a little enjoyment in these dark times."

His jaw clenched, the movement painfully visible on the phone's small screen. "I-I don't think I can do that anymore. I'm done, I just can't keep being led on like this, I can't! It feels like they're doing this out of spite, and I-I can't keep going anymore."

William listened as the poor man gradually broke down the events leading up to this moment.

Like most things wrong with the world, Games Workshop's woes started when the Abyssals appeared in force. International shipping practically died overnight. In GW's case, it meant that the Indomitus boxset never made it to the North American market, what with every ship on the high seas being targeted and planes getting shot down left and right. But they were still determined to turn a profit in the dire circumstances.

William kept his brush moving; furtively keeping his eyes on the model. Although, as the video continued, he found his eyes wandering back to the screen more and more as the accusations came thick and fast.

Raised prices of digital product was one of many sins. Despite this, the company still managed to survive. Their size and sheer momentum getting them through the worst until the Kanmusu appeared, stabilizing global trade once again.

But that wasn't exactly the magic bullet many companies were hope for. Kanmusu didn't guarantee safety, just mitigated lose in those early days. Needless to say, it wasn't the return to a free market everyone hoped for. Vital resources were prioritized above all else. Food, war materials, raw materials; and what space remained for consumer goods faced an obscene premium.

Games Workshop, like many others, felt the lost of the North American market. Even if companies could afford to ship product, it was hardly worth the risk. Many walked a razor's edge and one lost shipment could spell bankruptcy or worse.

It was safe to say GW was aware of the risks involved; they just chose precisely the wrong way of counteracting them. There was no new infrastructure planned to meet demand overseas, instead what boxes that made it to stores shelves were, frankly, unbuyable.

And things weren't all sunshine and rainbows in the lore department either; starting with the death of Dan Abnett and a few other prominent writers early on in the war. Their loss was felt throughout the community as the Horus Hersey reached its conclusion. The replacements GW found to finish the series were lackluster at best and damaging at worst.

It was like watching a train wreak; eventually it became too fascinating to ignore. William's brush slowed until he set the model aside in favor of watching the disaster play out as GW put the final nail in their own coffin.

The game was suffering, there was no doubt about that. Controversial lore was driving away long time fans and prices were scaring away newcomers. Add on the uncertainty of global trade and you had a company that was one bad bump away from burning.

They needed a magic bullet, one to draw public interest back in the IP. As it turned out, they had the perfect solution sitting right in their harbours.

The return of the Lion spearheaded the release of Tenth edition, bringing a fleet of Imperial Kanmusu with him.

It was a disaster.

The explanation that they were humanity's creations long before the Age of Strife was met with ridicule from all sides. Long time fans said it was lore breaking, robbing the universe of it's grim dark setting and everyone agreed that GW was riding the coattails of Valkyries of Ran, which had gained prominence in America following Warhammer's decline.

The return of the Khan only made things worse, doubling down on that claim that ship spirits had always been apart of the universe, just hiding for fear of chaos or some other bullshit.

By the time Leman Russ returned to defend Terra during at the dawn of the End Times with dozens of redesigned models it was too late. Warhammer 40k was dead in the public eye and long time fans had been thoroughly driven away from the Emperor's light. And with cheaper, more ship spirit themed games rising to prominence, GW quickly found their other properties failing as well.

The mighty juggernaut began to collapse under it's own weight, until this fateful day when it all came crashing down.

With the tale of sorrow concluded, Valrak leaned back in his chair, eyes distant. "And now I... I think they're just doing this out of spite. We've made our intentions clear from the beginning. We, the fans, wanted our universe back. It was no secret we wanted to... redo the Horus Hersey, try to do it justice, but..."

He shook his head. "I guess they would rather see it burn to the ground instead... I... I just wanted to help people, you know? Take their mind of this real war of ours, but now..." His voice trailed off, and William felt the man's pain as he looked into the camera. "I-I'm sorry guys... all your support and it just wasn't enough, I..."

Valrak's jaw clenched; a man on the verge to tears. Then he reached out and tapped a key on his computer, the video cutting out abruptly leaving a hollow quiet in its wake.

For the longest minute, all William could do was stare at the small screen, face blank. Nothing moved in the darkness beyond the windows, but that was hardly a comfort. The peaceful night was swallowed up by a silence that taunted him with its very presence. Past his tightening throat, William's gut coiled with a new sense of frustration.

The world had changed on a grand scale, true, but it was these minute details that truly drove the point home. Seven years had passed and he'd missed it all. He had missed the war's beginning. He had missed the death of his Battalion. He had missed the world falling into chaos, he'd missed his family growing up without him, he'd missed his hobby crumbling to ash...

...he'd missed so much.

And the Abyss was still there, watching him. Taunting him with this new world it had created. Daring him to explore and find out what else it destroyed in his absence.

Glancing between the Lychguard and his brush, William considered continuing, then sighed. Shoving himself away from the table, he trudged to his room. The revelation about GW had sapped the fun out the painting.

As the silence from outside loomed, he focused on the Fairies inside his hull until he eventually drifted off to sleep. Gremlin was excited about something, but he never found out what before darkness took him.

----​

James' alarm went off as the morning sun began to creep in through the window. As the blaring siren jarred him awake, he groaned, groggily reaching out from his cocoon of blankets to silence it. He hit the snooze a little too late; Martha groaned from the other side of the bed, covering her head with a pillow.

"Another headache?" he whispered, and the returning groan was all he need to hear.

Giving her shoulder a comforting rub, he carefully extradited himself from the blankets and the left the room as quietly as he could. Closing the door behind him, he stretched as far as his busted shoulder would allow. With each month it seemed to take more effort.

Smacking his lips, he trundled over to the counter and filled the kettle, preparing the coffee press as it began to hiss.

There was a long list of chores for today, but his brain was still a little too foggy to focus. With the overshadowing battle of prices verses trucking costs, it was hard to focus on much else. There was too much second guessing in the grain market these days. Hopefully, this year's crop of malt barley would fetch a good price. Since most industrial grains were in short supply, local breweries were searching for any malt they could get their hands on. It wasn't a big profit, but it was steady. And it was building a reputation for his soil.

Yawning again, he ambled over to the living room to watch the sunrise, only to pause.

One side table was covered in an array of painting supplies; surrounding a small, half-painted model.

Even as he picked it up for a closer look, a deep regret settled in his chest.

He hadn't known William liked painting. None of them did. Sure, a little separation was expected when family moved across the country. Still, it had been jarring when they flew to New Brunswick to take possession of Will's belongings; a snapshot into his son's life that he'd never seen before. His hobbies, his interests, all laid bare in the worst way possible.

True, William had never been the most expressive or forthcoming of his sons. He was the self-sufficient one of the bunch; rarely going into his own problems or concerns. Only once he was gone did James realize that attribute had extended into his personal life as well.

Walking through his son's hobby room, seeing his hundreds of painting models, 3D printers, and even reading some of his written work made him realize just how little he'd known William at all. The shame he'd felt when he admitted to the Army investigators that he didn't know Will had an interest in these hobbies at all. He felt like failed of a father; his son had vanished and he didn't have the slightest clue where he'd gone.

He should have known more...

That pain might have healed over time, even helped him foster a tighter bond with his remaining sons, but it always lingered. Will's picture hanging on the wall was a constant reminder of his shortcomings.

And then Will came back...

The memory of that single phone call still sent a shiver down his spine. If only their first meeting had been so sanguine.

To be honest, the fact William had become the embodiment of a battleship was the easiest change to accept. The pain and fear that hid behind his eyes, however, less so. That meeting was one of the hardest things James had ever done. To watch his wayward son simply stand there, obvious to the world as he was congratulated left, right, and center...

James leaned against the table, a pained hiss escaping his teeth.

His son was hurting and none of those men or women seemed to realize it. What was most frustrating, however, was that his entire story was classified. His son was hurting and the Army had to the gall to say the reason why was classified.

They deserved to know what was wrong. What happened to put his son in such a state?

Even as a scowl threatened to break over his lips, he reminded himself that anger would get him nowhere. A deep breath helped calm his emotions, and a look back at the bubbling kettle helped him remember family rule number one.

"Be not afraid," he whispered as he poured the steaming water into the coffee press.

Things would work out. God willing, he'd...

"Desu?"

The tiny voice started him, drawing his eyes to the Fairy standing on the counter. The little creature was as bedraggled as they came; cursed with a bad case of bedhead which was hardly covered by her officer's cap. Her uniform was wrinkled and dark bags hung from her overly large eyes, squinting in discomfort at the morning light. James vaguely remembered seeing it sitting on William's shoulder. Didn't he call it Gremlin?

The Fairly was clutching a tiny tin cup between her stubs, nose twitching as she followed the scent of coffee in a daze. She looked from the steaming coffee press to James' face, then held up the cup hopefully. "Desu?"

James blinked, unsure of what to make of the situation. But as it gave him another pleading look he figured it didn't matter. After pouring himself a mug, he grabbed a spoon from a drawer, dipped it in before offering it to the Fairy. She filled her cup with a grateful nod, then threw it back like a shot of whiskey.

"Desu," she said with a dopey grin, filling her cup again before waddling away down the counter towards William's room.

"Uh... no problem," James replied, at a loss of what else to say.

What did 'desu' even mean?

----​

Even before he went to bed that night after failing to paint, William knew he'd made a mistake. The fate of GW left a yawning pit in his gut,brought on by the existential dread of a world that had left him behind.

The war was only a small part of it. Strange to think that a global conflict was easier to accept than a few companies filing for bankruptcy.

Then again, the war had been thrust upon him. It was new. Alien. Yet, it was a possibility he had trained for. He might not have expected war so aburptly, but his whole career had been preparing him for that moment. And after eight months in the Abyss, grappling with thoughts of his own demise every day, he had been prepared to fight and die if necessary.

But combat was one thing. Picking up the pieces of his former life was another matter entirely. He wasn't ready to see how the world had changed in his absence.

How he had been left behind...

How his both his prison and captor lingered between each breath of wind.

Another mistake was vowing to learn as much about this new world as possible. He should have known it was a futile effort. However peaceful things were on the farm, it masked the grim reality of the world. Abyssals in Canada's north, striking deeper in land all across the world. That battle Rokkasho was only a small taste of the bloodbath in Gallipoli. Global trade had slowed to a trickle, only intensifying supply issues worldwide and strangling corporations with their own profit margins. Games Workshop was only one in a long list of corporate casualties.

Outside, the sun rose, arched high overhead, then began its decent. He lost track of time, hunched over the table, eyes glued to his phone as page after page flew past. All the while the sour tang of frustration continued to mount.

So much... he had missed so much. How was he supposed to know it all? How was he supposed to function if he didn't know where he stood in the world? He wasn't just a man coming back from the dead, he was a fucking battleship! At least if he came back as normal flesh and blood he could slip back into the flow of the world unnoticed. The problems and complications of a normal life were all things he was accustomed to.

But in this new world, with guns bolted to his back and skin thicker than most tanks, life had become a maze of uncertainty.

What was he supposed to do? How was he supposed to live like this?

The clunk of metal on wood jolted him out of his fugue, drawing his eye to the can of beer his dad placed beside him. It looked like he had just come in from chores: His dad's brown overalls were flecked with streaks of mud and his tee shirt and old Blue Jays hat was soaked in sweat.

The silence that followed taunted him as his gaze flicked to the pictures on the wall. He wanted to push the beer away, but not with his dad hovering over him, worry expression firmly in place.

"Thanks," he murmured, cracking it open but stopped short of taking a drink. He reached for his phone again but a hand on his shoulder stopped him.

"Will. Are you okay?" Soft yet firm, his father's question rang in his ear. William's throat tightened. He wanted to scream that no, nothing was alright, but bit his tongue.

"...I'm fine."

Trying to stay casual, he pretended to take a sip. Even as a few drops made it past, his eyes flicked from one picture on the wall to the next.

Aside from the family portraits, one corner of the living room was taken up by a prayer corner. A large cabinet containing rosaries, bibles, and Sunday missals, with the centerpiece being a large picture of the Divine Mercy.

At least if that started talking he'd know not to take it as divine intervention.

"You've been sitting here all day," his dad continued. "We're worried about you."

"Just... trying to get reacquainted with the world."

His father's frown deepened. "Horton did say we would need to help you with that. Can you tell us why?"

William blinked. He knew his story was classified, but... "They didn't tell you?"

James signed, pulling out a chair and sitting beside him. "All he could tell us was that you appeared in Japan and single-handedly saved the entire nation."

"That's a bit of a stretch," William snorted.

"Not from what he was saying." The older man pulled another can of beer from his overalls, cupping the can thoughtfully. "But... anything before then is classified."

"Sounds about right."

Even as the last syllable left his mouth, William regretted the statement. The hurt on his father's face forced him to avert his eyes, shamefaced.

"I mean... I-I don't like it either, but I agree. I... I want it classified too. It's..." he struggled for the right words, trying to articulate the Abyss without giving away too much. But the more he floundered, the more he realized he didn't know what he was even reaching for.

He knew about the Abyss. He'd experienced it first hand. He knew what it was capable of.

But did he even know what it was?

"...it's something we were never meant to see," he said at last. At least he didn't have to lie about that. "I still don't understand what happened... and I don't think I ever will."

James leaned back, carefully considering his word. "But... you think the Army does?"

"I think they're as lost as I am," William admitted with shrug. "But I know what I saw, what I felt... this isn't something to be fucked with, I know that much."

James snorted, dryly. "You know your mom would skin you alive if she heard that. Especially if you said it in front of the grand-kids."

That got a wry snort in return. "Don't I know it."

The humour dropped away as his father leaned in, his gaze searching. "We want to help you, Will. You know that, right?"

"I know."

"So can you let us help you?" James gestured, weakly. "I know it's been years, but you haven't changed a bit. I know you're hurting, please just talk to us."

"I am talking to you, I'm talking to you right now." Though he tried to play it off, a pointed look let him know his joke wasn't appreciated. "Dad, please trust me on this, it's... it's different, I can't... I can barely describe it."

"But it hurts?"

William's jaw clenched, visions of the mutated battleship flashing behind his eyes. Days spent under a sunless sky. The ever-present silence of an apathetic god.

"...more than you can imagine."

James's faced tightened in both worry and alarm. "You were tortured?"

Tortured? Oh, if only it was that simple. Torture was human concept; inflicted pain for information or some other shit. What he endured wasn't torture, that would imply intent. It simply didn't care. It didn't care that he was stuck there, it didn't care that he was trapped until the end of time... The Abyss simply was.

The memories held him captive long enough for his father to get his answer.

"Oh God..." The older man held his head in his hands, beer forgotten. "Oh God, Will..."

"It's not what you're thinking, dad," William interjected quickly. "I didn't have a broomstick shoved up my ass or anything like that, just... it wasn't like that. It wasn't anything like that, okay."

That was true enough, but it wasn't the answer his father was hoping for. For a long minute, James remained locked in that pose, silently shaking his head. When he finally looked up, his eyes glistened with unshed tears.

"And you can't tell me any of this?"

William's throat clenched at the pain in his voice and he could only nod, mutely.

"Why? Please, just why?"

He could only shrug. "War time secrecy on the Army's part. Something to do with the Abyssals, I think."

Half truth. The connection was obvious, the Song notwithstanding, but if there was any deeper symmetry he wasn't seeing it.

"And yours?"

William sighed. For a long minute he couldn't answer. "...let's just say it was an awfully quick seven years and leave it at that."

James pursed his lips, but saw the comment for the request it was and changed topics. "So what sort of help have they given you? Horton gave us a credit card and a licence to buy anything we need, so feeding you won't be a problem. But... please tell me they've hooked you up with a therapist, at least."

"They have, yeah. Not too sure about his quality just yet; I've only had one talk with him so far. Still, he's one of the few with a high enough clearance for my circumstances, so he can't be that bad."

"And have you been praying about this?"

It was like a brick wall slammed between them. William's stomach clenched, painfully. And trailing on the heels that damned question came the awful silence he was all too familiar will. He could feel his hull more acutely than ever; a body that had been changed by an unnatural power.

Something must have shown on his face because his dad continued in a much softer voice.

"Will, it's okay if you haven't, I don't blame you." He reached up to rub his off centred shoulder with a grim smile. "When this happened... well, those weeks in the hospital were some of the worst of my life. I was always trying to stay strong for you kids, but there was so much talk going on behind the scenes it was hard not to get upset."

William nodded, throat tight. "I remember it almost killed you."

"The accident, yes, but..." He shook his head. "There was so much wrong with my arm and shoulder... they were considering amputation. That's how bad it was. Too far beyond saving, they said."

He took a quick sip of beer to steady his voice. "That was probably the worse news of my life. Well, in hindsight there were other means of supporting the family, but... trapped in that hospital bed, high on painkillers... it was too much. How was I supposed to work the farm with only one arm? How was I supposed to provide for a growing family when I couldn't even work?"

Sucking air through his teeth, he looked away. "...When the lights went out I bawled my eyes out. I couldn't see a way out, I thought I was gonna lose my arm... I was scared. But... as I came to learn, God doesn't abandon us that easily."

He looked up with a smile. "Admittedly, it was your mother who got me back on the straight and narrow. She had faith enough for the both of us." He rubbed his shoulder again, face pensive. "God was with me that day for the surgery. Lo and behold, here I am."

"The doctors did a good job," William agreed, staring down at the table, unable to meet his father's eyes.

"That they did, but to this day I believe the Holy Spirit was guiding their hands."

Setting down his beer, he gripped William's shoulder. "Moral of the story; God is with us even in our darkest hour. And I know he was watching over you."

William shuddered. He didn't have the heart to say he was getting more anxious with every damn platitude thrown at him. The fact he could feel his father's hand against his steel hull only drove the point home. And yet, there was some truth to his dad's words. Something had certainly been with him all those silent months, it just wasn't the god he'd hoped it to be.

He couldn't help but glare at the picture of Divine Mercy, the twin rays of lights flowing out of Jesus' heart. Blood and water gushing forth from His tender mercy upon the whole world; it was tale he had heard many times before. One that paled in comparison to his new existence, to this apathetic god who had held him captive for months, then made those months into years on a whim?

What was love and mercy compared to a power like that?

William took a deep, shuddering breath before he was able to find his voice. But when he tried, nothing would come out. His father waited, patiently, but fear held his tongue in a vice.

A doubt that he was too ashamed to reveal.

"C-Can we talk about something else?" William smiled, the expression as thin as a pane of glass. "How has the farm been all these years? L-Like start with the tractors, I've never seen that brand before."

If his father was dismayed by the change of topic, he didn't show it. Instead, he easily shifted over into regaling William about how the farming world had changed since the war began. And when James asked when he had gotten into wargamming, William was happy to share that tale in return.

It was a pleasant conversation between father and son; so much so William could almost ignore the ever silent presence hanging between them. The Divine Mercy, however, was still there, seemingly watching him.

He tried not to look at it again, barely managing to hide his guilt.

He didn't want to lose them again. Not over this.

This chapter probably has a little more angst than I intended, but family is always a hard thing to work through. And yet again, this chapter was a test bed for more story telling elements. I've seen plenty of fics pull in warhammer or other war games to personalise the mc. In true SI fashion, I'm guilty of the same, but more than delving deeper into William's interests, I wanted to see if I could use it as a narrative element.

Explore William's hobbies as a way to connect with his nephew, and at the same time use it as a segway to build upon the world. Exploring in broad strokes how the war has effected different aspects of the world and William's reaction to it.

Inclusion of Gremlin in this chapter was something I was unsure about, but it had to be addressed sooner rather than later. How to include fairies in human perspectives without the scene devolving into madness? I can't completely isolate them, then I'm left with unfiltered angst for the foreseeable future, but I can't let them completely ruin the tone either.

I think this strikes a good balance. Just wacky enough to be entertaining, but down to earth enough to hold the tone. I'll see what the reactions are and if I need to adjust.

Anyway, hope you have enjoyed the chapter!

Special thanks to pv2 over on Kofi for helping streamline the gw bits.

How his both his prison and captor lingered between each breath of wind.
And, perhaps, saviour. No longer part of a doomed unit; granted strength to help the weak and slay his foes.

Honestly, for all his suffering, I'm surprised Will does not take more of a positive viewpoint towards the Abyss... it helped and hindered, but Will still emerged greater for it. Heh, maybe I am biased because I like the idea of mists and still, dark water.

I think this strikes a good balance. Just wacky enough to be entertaining, but down to earth enough to hold the tone. I'll see what the reactions are and if I need to adjust.
I like it. Honestly the last few chapters were getting me concerned with the wackiness of their tone. Shipgirl antics, fairy antics... such large amounts are suitable for a comedic tale, but from the outset this story has been soul-chillingly serious. Not saying that fun should be kept out of this story - it serves to highlight the dark, and act as a reprieve. But, too much can ruin the true core that it's supposed to augment.

Last edited:
found his old razer. And even
razor

These are space marines, Mom." Then
Space Marines

examination. "Each and everyone is a
every one

sheet and – after much exacerbation on his mother's part – he would
exasperation
-?-

zombie robots verses space elves. They weren't quite
versus

grimace, next to the emblaze words; Last Words.
emblazoned

guarantee safety, just mitigated lose in those early days. Needless to say,
losses

others, felt the lost of the North American market. Even
loss

watching a train wreak; eventually
wreck

yawning pit in his gut,brought on
, brought

Yep, it wouldn't be Games Workshop if they didn't keep doing stupid things that kill their own franchise.
At least we finally have some decent PC games.

Very good chapter; you said you were using this chapter as a test bed, and it seems something's definitely worked, because I think it's the best so far.

Back