Isekai discussion thread

The New Gate is alright-ish for a bit, but it does end up pretty dull after a while, and never really leans in on the whole 'MC is literally godlike powerful' thing. There are some touching moments at points, though.

Yeah, it never really takes off properly.
Decent parts here and there, and the look into how the people remember the time when it was all a game before players all (with some exceptions) left the world is occasionally interesting.
But it never really managed to take advantage of that, and got rather stale eventually.

The Pathfinder 2e version (Archives of Nethys is convenient) of Heal only mentions HP.
It's a difference in nomenclature between editions. PF1E and D&D called their basic healing spell that just restored hit points and had different versions at each level cure wounds and had a higher level spell that restored a massive amount of hit points and cured all conditions and afflictions and nigh on everything called heal. For PF2E they made the reasonable decision that the basic heal spell that everyone uses all the time should probably be called heal, and kept removing conditions and afflictions the domain of, I think, the restoration spell. (And also has made conditions and afflictions easier to recover from in general, to move away from the "the player is fucked unless they have the one specific spell that cures this" design philosophy of old D&D.) Regenerate also still exists as a way to regrow lost limbs and organs (not that you can usually lose limbs and organs through normal combat gameplay, but there are some edge cases out there).

Oddly, while Cure was wounds and heal also did conditions in old D&D, in the real world cure meaning fixing conditions and heal means fixing wounds.

And when we say Heal used to do everything that includes regular non-magical mental illness. In BG2 you literally remove a guy's PTSD with a heal spell.

The author also wrote Surviving In Another World With My Mistress, where the protagonist's powers are literally Minecraft. Also a harem isekai.
The funny thing is, if you didn't have that exact title I'm not sure the description would be enough to pinpoint it. Pretty sure I've seen at least three minecraft isekais with harems by now. Also like one or two without harems. Doesn't seem to be as popular as treesekai, but "minecraft" is a common enough powerset to notice it's repeating.

S'kinda' like that new gate thing above, "not!kirito gets transported to game-world-but-real after winning the game" is... not a unique premise, these days, heh. Nevermind three, I'm fairly sure I've seen at least a half dozen that starts off like that, maybe more.

The funny thing is, if you didn't have that exact title I'm not sure the description would be enough to pinpoint it. Pretty sure I've seen at least three minecraft isekais with harems by now. Also like one or two without harems. Doesn't seem to be as popular as treesekai, but "minecraft" is a common enough powerset to notice it's repeating.

S'kinda' like that new gate thing above, "not!kirito gets transported to game-world-but-real after winning the game" is... not a unique premise, these days, heh. Nevermind three, I'm fairly sure I've seen at least a half dozen that starts off like that, maybe more.
Why is it in Minecraft of all games? The one with block artstyle. There are less sexual appealing art styles but you have to try.

It reminds me of a video I watched on "Elsagate" YouTube content where a significant amount was Minecraft themed/artstyle videos with inappropriate content.

Lots of it involved FNAF which is super creepy because at least some of those characters are possessed by dead children. FNAF lore got ridiculous after a while.

The same thing with Poppy's Playtime. Heck the creators of Poppy's Playtime make those weird Minecraft videos.

Presumably because minecraft is popular and has almost zero lore they need to adhere to.
Just an empty world they can play around in.
Having not read any of them, i would assume most will not actually have it be just like the art style, most inserted into game/light novel/manga/thing tend to not use the art style used for it.

Yeah, the bit about that series which stands out is how Minecraft the protagonist powers are.

As in, a lot of "like Minecraft" stories are mostly "ability to send raw materials into inventory, and craft from inventory". Usually there's some mention of automatically identifying rare resources among the mass of Dirt and Stone being dug up.

Survival In Another World With My Mistress has the protagonist powers literally produce material blocks of 1x1x1 cubic meters. Minecraft physics also apply, as in create a tower of blocks, destroy the lowest block, and the rest of the tower still remains stable in mid-air.

Nobody, including the protagonist, has any idea how it works at all.

Yeah, if my memory's not gone completely haywire I've noticed one or two beyond that one that just... literally leaned into the voxel, explicitly. Nevermind the power manifesting cubic, the MC is actually the minecraft critter right down to the inexplicably functional box hands.

Could swear I read a bit of one that actually kinda' inverted it: The world was standard realistic fare, but the protagonist was a minecraft accurate boxcritter, to the confusion of relevant parties. Kinda' wish I remembered where I encountered that one, tbh. Mighta' just been direct fanfiction, I'unno.

I've seen several mtl Chinese webnovels where the the MC becomes OP in some sort of Minecraft VRMMO through a system and/or knowledge of actual Minecraft game mechanics. Like, building mob farms and using recipes that other people haven't figured out yet and stuff. I think at least a couple involved Herobrine.

The Game at Carousel on Royal Road is an interesting isekai that's the opposite of a power fantasy. The cast travels to the town of Carousel to stay at the Antoine's brother's cabin, only to find out that that was actually the town of Carousel itself luring them in. Carousel is an inescapable town where movies come to life. Horror movies.

It's an interesting LitRPG variation, with each character being assigned a horror movie archetype, such as Athlete, Scholar, and Final Girl, and being forced to play out the plots of horror movies. If anyone gets to the end of a story alive, everyone who died comes back to life and gets rewards.

Each class has various Tropes they can equip to enhance their abilities, and stats such as Moxie, Grit, and Mettle affect how much each character can affect the plot. If your Savvy isn't high enough your plans to take out the monster aren't likely to work, and not matter how fast you run you can't escape a killer if your Hustle isn't high enough. The sum of your stats gives you your Plot Armour, which both acts as HP and determines which order each character will be targeted by the villain, lowest first.

The main character, Riley, is a Film Buff, with a Trope that lets him read enemy abilities at the cost of halving his Plot Armour, so enemies will almost always target him first.

It's a genuinely great story and the movies that they find themselves in have interesting plots. I highly recommend it.
So it's like Cabin of the Woods/Dead by Daylight cool.

Also I think people gloss over the reason why Iskai's exist which is because of neo liberal captialist burn out from a insane work culture causing people to look for escapism from their world.

So it's like Cabin of the Woods/Dead by Daylight cool.

Also I think people gloss over the reason why Iskai's exist which is because of neo liberal captialist burn out from a insane work culture causing people to look for escapism from their world.

Kinda, though unlike Cabin in the Woods the characters don't need to die, the story just has to be told. Also, there are a lot more archetypes than in Cabin, with both major archetypes like the Final Girl, who can't be killed until all other characters in a storyline are dead, and minor ones like the Wallflower, who can take the part of a background character and see part of the script.

Carousel lures people in, and once it has someone it will use their likeness to lure in friends and family members.

Kinda, though unlike Cabin in the Woods the characters don't need to die, the story just has to be told. Also, there are a lot more archetypes than in Cabin, with both major archetypes like the Final Girl, who can't be killed until all other characters in a storyline are dead, and minor ones like the Wallflower, who can take the part of a background character and see part of the script.

Carousel lures people in, and once it has someone it will use their likeness to lure in friends and family members.
So once in you can't leave Carsol?

It's a living entity that used people as fuel

Back