Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

You know multiverse theory? How any work of fiction could be real in another universe out there...
In Which Hana Becomes Ninja Frog

SeekerofDreams

Aspiring Farmer
You know multiverse theory? How any work of fiction could be real in another universe out there? Of course you do, there's an entire fanfic genre for that stuff.
What they don't tell you is that it gets recursive. That fictional works could, in a way, be an omen of the future. And I hate omens of the future. For good reason, given that prophecies have this annoying tendency to screw everyone involved over. So, naturally, being someone designated as fate's chew toy, I have to be the one to learn this.
"This is a joke, right?" I ask the transparent Gardevoir that is somehow in the middle of my bedroom. I did not sign on for this. I mean, I play Mystery Dungeon as much as anyone, but that doesn't mean I want it to be my life. Even with the cool powers... the Mystery Dungeons... being able to stand up to Legendaries on my own... damn it, I think I just talked myself into this.
"I am afraid not," Gardevoir replies, looking fairly apologetic. I suppose it could be worse. It could be Gates to Infinity, where if I wasn't lucky enough to be the protagonist, I'd likely be dead by the end of the month, but... at least I won't be flirting with nonexistence?
"Yeah, sure, whatever. Sign me up. Just make sure you don't accidentally my memories or anything." That'll likely be the only reason I survive, being in a Mystery Dungeon is likely to be trippy at the best of times. "And I'll have to be a Pokemon, please let it be something cool."
"I'm afraid I can't guarantee that part. Your Pokemon form will be just an extension of your inner self, after all." Inner self, please be something cool. If I end up fighting as a Skitty or something, I'll probably die. Painfully. Sure, stats are easy to raise, but it's been four generations since Rescue Team came out. Normalize could be a factor. "Do you want to leave now, or-?"
"Now. Definitely now." Before I can talk myself back out of it. I mean, I can always leave after saving the world if things don't work out too well, nothing says that I have to stay.
It comes to mind that I just agreed to give up my humanity because apparently a dragon couldn't be bothered to look up. I really hate my life right now.

The next thing I am aware of is the sensation of somebody poking me. Or, something. Something furry, and as I don't have any pets, that rules out my conversation with the crazy Psychic Type being a dream. I crack my eyelids open.
"Fine, I'm getting up..." It takes a few moments to figure out how to move, because not having muscle memory is a bitch. Also, if what my feet look like is any indication, I am apparently a Froakie.
Inner self, what the hell? My ninja phase was not that long!
"Oh, you're awake. That's good," My apparent future partner states. Now that I'm actually looking his direction, he appears to be a Meowth. Not the best Pokemon around, but, well... The idea of Pay Day appeals to me. It appeals greatly. "I just found you knocked out here. What happened?" Now, I could go the canon path... nah.
"I was called to this dimension to convince Rayquaza to look up," I state flatly. His whiskers twitch.
"Well, if you don't want to tell me, that's fine." Okay, so I guess that was pretty unbelievable. Can't blame me for trying. "Anyway, I'm Nico. What's your name?"
At first, I consider giving him my real name. But then I realize that this is a chance for a fresh start, given that my old life revolved around playing video games and lurking around various forums. Not many real achievements to remember there. It takes me a few moments to figure out a female name that matches my species, but I come up eventually.
"Hana. Call me Hana." Sure, nobody in Nintendo Land will get the reference, but I am a ninja frog and will referred to as such, even if the proxy is some loser kid in Silent Hill, Japan. Now I just need to recruit a Cubchoo, Xurkitree, Ninetales, Ralts, Electabuzz, and Mienfoo, and the team will be complete, even if Nico isn't quite the perfect species for a Naoto. And his name more suited for a Buneary- stop it, brain. Wrong console generation.
"Hana? That's an odd name for a Water Type." Shut up, Nico, I am best Water Type. I am ninja frog.
....Dear Arceus, I think Gardevoir accidentally my thought process. I knew letting her mess around with me was a bad idea. Why does unlimited power have to be so tempting?
...Right. Because I wanted to fight a Legendary in person and win. One day, I will learn common sense. Just probably not today. Today I am ninja frog.

In Which Hana Learns Life's Not Turn-Based
Nico laughs and shakes his head. "Well, I guess it doesn't matter. I sort of want to know where you're from, though. You don't really see Froakie around here... or much of anywhere, actually." Well, given that you don't run into any other Pokemon of your species, like, ever... also, I'm a Gen VI Pokemon in a Gen III game. That tends to cause a rarity factor.
That, or they're just hiding really well. It's always a possibility, given that my species is made of ninjas. I need to figure out if I can figure out Water Shuriken before evolving, just for the sake of doing it right. I don't want to wait until after destroying the meteor, I want my stabby things.
I'm jolted out of these thoughts by the sound of flapping wings. "Hey, um, Nico... do you hear anything?" His ears perk up.
"Oh, it's Butterfree! She lives in Pokemon Square, same as me. Odd, she normally has her kid with her..." I turn around to see the butterfly approach. Funny enough, we're almost the same size now. Which is scary. I am a tiny ninja frog.
"Oh, dear... what can I do?" She's mumbling to herself. "They're just Exeggcute, but... no, that can't work..."
"Um, excuse me...?" I ask, approaching, because it's clear that Nico isn't going to at the moment. And, well, I need walking practice, because I have no muscle memory. That's sort of important to have, because doing so otherwise just means tripping a lot. "Is there a problem?"
She nods. "Yes. I was talking a walk with my Caterpie, when he fell into a fissure! I tried flying down for him, but there were ferals there, and..." She trails off, which I take to mean that she isn't much of a fighter, and was swiftly defeated. I'm not sure how that could happen, given that it's Tiny Woods, but that's apparently a thing.
"Huh. You want us to get him for you?" Nico asks.
"Who's us?" I never agreed to this, technically. "I mean, I'm not saying I won't do it, but you could at least ask!"
The Normal Type rolls his eyes. "Fine. Will you please help me clear the terrible Mystery Dungeon in search of a cute kid?" His voice is dripping with sarcasm. Oh, this is definitely the start of a beautiful friendship.
"Sure thing." I turn and... Butterfree came from this direction, right? That means the Dungeon is this way. Which means my first mission is about to go underway.
As I walk, the world around me shifts and changes until I'm in the middle of a clearing where only two paths are at all passable. A few seconds later, Nico shimmers into existence next to me. So, seriously trippy. And this is my life now. I need some form of impulse control, because I clearly don't have any if I'm agreeing to this sort of thing.
It's not too much to hope that Rayquaza spontaneously decides to look up, right?

In this world, there seem to be three types of Pokemon. Civilized, wild, and feral. Civilized Pokemon, like Nico, Butterfree, and now myself, live in towns and things, write using the Unown alphabet and footprint runes, and exchange money for goods and services in markets that stay in the same place. Wild Pokemon live in non-Dungeon forests and at the ends of Dungeons, don't care to send Rescue Requests, and exchange money for goods and services in the randomly-appearing Dungeon shops.
Finally, we have the Feral Pokemon. They live solely in Mystery Dungeons, attack anyone who enters their line of sight, and seem to follow a set programming as they do so. So, you know, just like NPC Trainers. They can also stop being feral if fed enough Gummis, but those are rare, so I'm not giving them up for the sake of some random Bidoof or something.
Not that I particularly care, as I've never met a Wild or Feral Pokemon. This is just what I've managed to probe out of Nico in the last half hour, because Dungeon floors are long and boring. I know talking too loudly might attract unwanted attention, but I never said I was a good ninja.
"Seriously, though, did you live under a rock or something?" He asks. "How did you not know this already?"
I shrug. "I never really paid attention to when others were telling me something. Given that I ended up lost close to a Mystery Dungeon with no possessions, I think it's about time to change that." We turn a corner in the corridor, and that's when I see my first Feral Pokemon.
It's a Sunkern, which is bad, because while I can't list the Type Chart off the top of my head- at least, not yet, Water being weak to Grass is one of the three core tenets of Pokemon matchups. No bonus points for guessing the other two.
I freeze, and that's not a good thing, because it immediately targets me and attacks. And a word of advise for other young ninja frogs out there- Absorb hurts. Multiple Absorb attacks in a row hurt a lot, and I didn't even know Nico had that many Oran Berries.
Right. Real life. Not turn based. That's not a good thing, because with whatever Gardevoir did to make me a Pokemon, my impulse control is sort of almost nonexistent. Which is why I decide to punch the little sunflower seed in the face.
...Look, it's a very punchable seed.
...Also, if the results of the next Absorb are any indication, I apparently have Protean. Given what Gardevoir told me... I think that's supposed to mean that I'm adaptable? But I could have just been an Eevee, which is actually supposedly native to this area... oh, well. STAB on everything, and if I learn Dig, that means I can just stand away from Zapdos' beak and throw rocks at it or something. I know you're probably not supposed to throw rocks at Legendaries, but I am ninja frog. That means throwing things.
Besides, if it means not being kicked out of my first Dungeon adventure, I'll take what I can get.

The rest of the trip down to Caterpie is spent trying to figure out my new Ability without Nico thinking I'm crazy. Well, not that type of crazy, anyway. I probably fit someone's definition. It turns out that my Water Type comes back after about five minutes, give or take fifteen seconds or so. As the fights we get into here generally last little more than one, it's not a big deal.
Of course, this Dungeon is practically overflowing with Grass Types, so my saving grace here is the fact that PP isn't actually a thing. Which makes logical sense, there's really no reason to stop being able to, say, glare at someone short of eye strain. And by that point, a proper fight should already be over. At least if this run of the Tiny Woods is any indication. I hope it is.
Unfortunately, while the threat of running out of moves is gone, so is gradual regeneration, or at least the more nonsensical parts of it. So I've got marks where a Pidgey tried to peck at me by the time we find Caterpie. I have never been so glad to see a caterpillar in my life.
Even better, this means we're out of the Dungeon proper. "Thank Arceus, it's over!" I cheer, almost skipping forward before remembering the Meowth present. "This is the right Caterpie, right? Just checking."
Nico sighs. "Yes, this is Butterfree's kid. Figures he'd clear a Dungeon by accident..." The little insect turns around at the sound of our voices.
"O-oh... You're the Meowth from the bank, aren't you...?" His voice is quiet. Scared. I'm pretty sure it's my fault, if he recognizes Nico. Probably doesn't know what species I am, because there's very little reason for a kid who lives in the land of eternal Gen III to know what a Froakie is.
"Yes, that's right. I'm Nico. The crazy frog over there is Hana. She's a Froakie, a Water Type." Technically, I can be whatever Type I want, but there's no need to correct him right now. I'm not sure I could argue for Protean being an official Type, anyway.
So, instead I settle for glaring at him. "Who are you calling crazy?"
"You ran up to an Exeggcute and used it as a projectile weapon against a flock of Pidgey!" Okay, so maybe it wasn't my best idea, irrespective of the fact that it worked. But it's practice for Gravelerocks. I need that practice, because as a human I couldn't hit someone standing four feet in front of me. If I want to use ranged attacks, I have to fix this.
Preferably, next time, without getting a Sleep Powder to the face for my trouble. Which I admit was fully deserved.
"Either way, can't we continue this conversation later?" I suggest, hoping that the impressionable kid forgets this entire exchange ever happened. It might have been easier to tell the truth, given that I'm probably eventually going to be known around town as 'that one crazy Froakie' once this gets out, which will likely be a problem on my noble quest to make a dragon look up. "We should probably go before Butterfree has too much more time to panic..."
Fortunately, they go with it, and Nico doesn't bring up the Pidgey thing again. I'll call that a successful trip.

Hmm...
wonder if you can learn to use the Frubbles?
Also, in a lot of versions, water types can breath underwater....
that sounds useful

In Which Hana Makes a Team
Dungeons are weird. I'm not just saying that because of the reconfiguration, though that is part of it. I'm saying that because, as soon as we turned back, we were immediately at the exit. I'm sure someone with a better knowledge of physics would try to game that system, but I'm more interested in my own powers. Portals are fun, but they can't force a dragon to look up.
Butterfree spots us almost immediately and flutters over. "My baby is safe... You aren't hurt, are you?" She asks Caterpie, who shakes his head.
"No, these cool Pokemon came and got me before anything bad happened!" Well, if he thinks I'm cool... that doesn't actually mean he thinks I'm sane. At least sanity doesn't seem to be a prerequisite for world saving, if half of my video game protagonists are any indication.
"It wasn't that hard..." I lie. Had half the Pokemon not been Grass Type, things would have been so much easier, because I could just Bubble my way to victory. Sure, I don't particularly want to be that one Pokemon that wins everything with pretty bubbles, but there is a certain appeal to turning my old bubble wand hobby into a suitable combat ability. I mean, this world has no limits, more or less, so why not? I always thought the four moves thing was stupid, anyway.
Well, besides the fact that I am a ninja frog, and should therefore be doing ninja things. And I need to figure out what kind of passive powers I have. Can I breathe underwater? If I can, does it have to be fresh or salt water? Do I need to keep my skin damp? These are things that I sort of have to know, or risk giving away that I wasn't originally a Pokemon.
Because I am not going to be a fugitive if I don't have to. Hopefully I can get Gardevoir or another Psychic Type to give me back my impulse control before I do something too stupid and out myself anyway.
"Exeggcute. Pidgey. Sleep Powder," Nico deadpans. I like Nico. I should keep him around, maybe he can talk some sense into me sometimes. That would be nice.
"It was moderately difficult," I correct myself.
"Either way, I can't thank you enough. It's not much, but please, take this as your reward." Berries. They smell tasty. But, given their secondary effects, I probably shouldn't eat them right now. Tiny Woods did have money scattered about inside it, I can probably buy a small meal with that. I hope. Food is important.
"Thanks." Nico grins. "But, really, it's good to see Caterpie's safe. I don't think anyone would like it if something happened to him." Of course, he can afford to go without a reward. His species is known for learning Pay Day, though I'm not sure how that doesn't break the economy. I'll have to ask later.
"You still went into a Dungeon for him. Not everyone has the strength to do that." He glances away from her at those words.
"Yeah, well... um... It was just as much Hana as it was me... she's the absurdly powerful one..." Right, he saw me tank attacks that should have been super-effective. I have the best Ability, but it's likely to bring up unwanted questions. I should probably start thinking of my responses now.
Also, I think being thanked like that may have broken my Meowth friend. Really, I'm pretty sure the reason he's not blushing is because cats aren't built for that. It's adorable.
Butterfree eventually manages to stop constantly thanking us, though, and leaves. Which is good, because I'm not going to wander off in an area that has Mystery Dungeons when I haven't eaten anything but Oran Berries today. Great healing, but they aren't all that satisfying to eat.
"Well, that was fun!" I state. Nico just groans.
"There is something seriously wrong with you, isn't there?"
"...Maybe? I mean, I just woke up here today... with nothing... I have barely any clue where I am." The map from the game gave me a general idea of where Tiny Woods is, but it's not enough to get me to the Pokemon Square. Which is fairly important, because that's where all the stores are. And the interesting things in general. Maybe I can even make a first impression that's not crazy! ...Okay, probably not, but a girl can dream.
"You don't? Maybe you should come with me, then... just to be safe." Yeah, he definitely thinks I'm insane by now. Probably entirely accurate. But really, to reach the endgame all I need to do is convince a Tropius or something to give me a lift to Sky Tower. Maybe not the recommended method, but, well... it's always an option. Last resort option, but it's there, and that's enough.

By the time we reach the Pokemon Square area, it's already beginning to get dark. "Have you arranged for anyplace to stay yet?" Nico asks me. "There's an empty house that'd be fit for a Water Type if you don't have anywhere... it's a bit worn down, though." Mine.
"Where is it?" I ask. Having lots of water nearby is a necessity if I want to develop my powers properly. A lot of Water Type attacks are just controlling water to suit your purposes, and if I have a ready supply, I don't have to worry about summoning it.
Means it's not going to be as feasible in an actual battle situation, at least for Surf and such, but it's a good starting point for learning Water Shuriken. And besides, the less I need to search Dungeons for HMs the better, even if I can swim. Just to be safe.
"Does it have a mailbox?" I ask, just to be certain. "I came here to form a Rescue Team." Well, not the entire reason, but the believable one.
"Given your track record, I'm surprised you know what those are."
"Well... they help Pokemon, don't they? And that's what I want to do. I just need someone else to join... walk me through any paperwork involved... crap, I did not prepare for this at all..." I mutter. Admittedly, I had like five minutes notice, but maybe I should have let myself talk myself back out of this.
Nico laughs. "Yes, I gathered that. You know, Dad's been telling me to get a job for a while. And we worked together fairly well earlier. Also, I want to make sure you don't do something stupid and get yourself killed. So how about I join?" Ninja frog plus economy-breaking-cat? I think I just won everything.
"That'd be great! Thank you." I pause. "So, um... how is this supposed to work?"
"We just go to the Pelipper Post Office, fill out a few small forms, and we'll get our starting kit delivered in the mail the next day, if all goes well. Simple!" Well, it's the middle of summer, so it being dark isn't that big of a deal... we could probably do that today, actually.
"Are they still open?"
"I'm pretty sure they only ever close when the weather's terrible." Excellent. "So, you do actually have a name for our team in mind, right?" Okay, I can't even blame him for asking, on this one. But this is something I decided on roughly at the beginning, that doesn't outright require any special members.
"We're gonna be Team Meteor." Yes, I know nobody's gonna get the joke for like a year. But it doesn't matter. I think it's funny, and it still sounds cool. So Team Meteor it is.
This is going to be. So. Awesome.

Nice going with the "learning to be a hydromancer" plan.
Imagine, people use water attacks against you, but you hijack the water and use it for your own attacks.

Nice going with the "learning to be a hydromancer" plan.
Imagine, people use water attacks against you, but you hijack the water and use it for your own attacks.
Unfortunately, there aren't any Water Type bosses until Kyogre, though it may be possible for Hana to use her Protean Ability for better all-around elemental control... so, Articuno. There's just not many Water Pokemon around in the main story...

Unfortunately, there aren't any Water Type bosses until Kyogre, though it may be possible for Hana to use her Protean Ability for better all-around elemental control... so, Articuno. There's just not many Water Pokemon around in the main story...
True, but against mooks and crooks it could still be useful...

In Which Hana Makes Plans
When I wake up in the morning, it takes me a few moments to realize where I am. Right. Gardevoir decided to recruit me, ruined my impulse control, and turned me into a Froakie. I saved Caterpie, filled out the forms required to start a Rescue Team, claimed my house, and collapsed on my rock. It's a very nice rock.
Just, well... sort of painful to sleep on, but I'll get used to it. It's probably not too unhealthy, given that I'm a frog, just uncomfortable. Though if how tiring yesterday was is any indication, I don't think it'll matter. Get tired enough, and you can sleep anywhere.
I stretch, taking advantage of the fact that the rock is large enough for a Greninja to sprawl out. Not that I plan on becoming a Greninja anytime soon, if at all. Being tiny has its advantages.
I should probably get up properly soon. While I think Nico is more sensible than the canon partner when it comes to this, I've only known him for like a day, so I may be wrong. We may have to wait for the mail to arrive, of course.
After summoning the willpower to move, I force myself to stand up and walk to the door. No real point in trying to sleep when there's jobs to do. I consider taking some time to practice with my powers, but if yesterday is any indication, I have Power-Up Punch as an Egg Move, which should hopefully be enough that the Electric Types in the next Dungeon won't fry me. Hydrokinesis is something to work with after the hopefully-short mission, when it's actually safe to still be a Water Type. Use of powers can wait until use of said powers doesn't leave me open for a Thundershock that same day.
I leave the house just in time to see Nico arrive. So either he's more sensible than canon, or I got up early. I'm not sure which one would be better. "Good morning!" I call to him. The sun isn't fully out yet, but that's really not a bad thing, since if the mail isn't here yet, that just means more time for planning. Planning is good.
Sure, I'll probably throw out the plan within five minute of entering the Dungeon, but I will still have a plan.
"Hana! Good to see I'm not the only early bird around!" He greets me, grinning all the while. "It might be some time before the mail gets here with our stuff, though. What should we do until then?"
That's actually a good question. I want to be here when Pelipper shows up, and I don't want to doze off before then. But it's not like I'm short on ideas, either. And there's one idea that will give me everything I need to know for this first week.
"Hey, Nico," I start, already moving to the edge of the bridge. "Time me!" And with that, I take the plunge.
First conclusion: I can, in fact, breathe underwater. Well, freshwater, at least. I'm not sure about the ocean, but if the way my skin reacted when Nico and I went to fill out the forms for Team Meteor last night, that's probably a no. Second- at least when it comes to swimming- Water Types are fast.
I almost wonder what it'd be like to be a species with Swift Swim, given that I'm halfway around the house already, but I think I have enough speed already. The real question is how to get anything close to it on land.
Far too soon I reach the end of my lap, and leap out of the water with far more grace than I should. Now if only I could find a way to translate that into Dungeons... One day. "So, how'd I do?"
"Forty-five seconds." Perfect. Now, what should I do for the next hour or so?

Fortunately, whoever had my house last left their deck of playing cards there. Unfortunately, I know a grand total of two games, and Nico knows three completely different ones, so most of our time is spent sharing the games and almost none playing them. Still, it's something to keep our minds off the fact that we got up long before we actually had to.
I hurry to grab the mail for little reason other than the fact that it's my Mailbox, even if it's technically in use by the entire Team... of two. We should probably fix that at some point, though I'm not sure how.
"Toolbox, badges, newspaper subscription... And a letter! Great!" Opening it, I confirm that it is, in fact, the Magnemite mission. "It's from a couple Magnemite. Apparently, two other Magnemite got stuck together and carried off into Thunderwave Cave. Sounds easy enough."
Nico blinks. "You're a Water Type."
"I don't see how that has anything to do with this."
Well, maybe a little. But given that I can change my Type at will, it's really not as much of a problem as he thinks it is. But I suppose it's good he cares.
"Well, between the Voltorb, Plusle, and Minun..." He ventures. I guess he's been there before. Not all that surprising, considering how short it is. Really, though, it's the kind of place that Rock Types go for their first Dungeon trip, or something. Not really a big deal so long as I avoid the Pikaclones.
"It's also a job we don't have to go to the Post Office for," I reply. "I know there's less wind today, but I'd still rather stay away when possible." Salt is painful. Really, I don't want to know what trying to swim in it gets me. Maybe after I've learned Surf and/or Dive. That seems reasonable.
"If you say so..." He doesn't sound convinced. Don't worry, Nico, I'll induct you into the craziness of this world yet. If I'm going to be the most powerful Froakie, I need the strongest Meowth by my side, after all.

The not-stuck Magnemite duo are waiting at the entrance to the cave. "AH. YOU ARE HERE, BZZ-BZZ-BZZ." The one on the left states. Flat, monotone... like just another machine. I'm not sure how much of it is real, however, given that they write the same way they speak, implying either off-kilter programming or them being part of a species of trolls.
I'm honestly not sure which one scares me more.
I nod, while Nico does the talking, as he's the one capable of appearing professional for more than five seconds. "We'd like a few details on this mission, actually..."
"OF COURSE. OUR FRIENDS ARE ON THE SIXTH FLOOR, BZZ-BZZ-BZZ. WE'RE COUNTING ON YOU, BZZ-ZZT!" I'm not even going to go into the fact that the other Magnemite duo have technically cleared the Dungeon and just assume it's magnetic stuff.
"Got it! Come on, Nico!" I call, already moving into the Dungeon. It's probably got a good chance of backfiring on me, but I don't even care. It's time for an adventure!

[QUOTE="SeekerofDreams, post: 10832697, member: 24185] The real question is how to get anything close to it on land.![/QUOTE]
Aqua jet.
not only does it make you faster, it lets you fly...

Always happy to see more Pokémon SIs, and this one looks promising!
Pelipper Post Office,
"I'm pretty sure they only ever close when the weather's terrible."
The Pelliper with drizzle can go on vacation whenever they want, then.
The real question is how to get anything close to it on land.
Aqua ring. Froakie might not learn it, but it can learn snatch via move tutor. In addition the following Pokémon can learn both aqua ring and baton pass: Vaporeon, Smeargle, Huntail, Gorebyss, Buizel, Floatzel. Alternatively, Rain Dance could work.
Salt is painful. Really, I don't want to know what trying to swim in it gets me. Maybe after I've learned Surf and/or Dive. That seems reasonable.
Could you use camouflage near the ocean to become a saltwater type instead of a freshwater one?

Edit: Nevermind, looks like it only learns it as an egg move.

Last edited:
Aqua ring. Froakie might not learn it, but it can learn snatch via move tutor. In addition the following Pokémon can learn both aqua ring and baton pass: Vaporeon, Smeargle, Huntail, Gorebyss, Buizel, Floatzel. Alternatively, Rain Dance could work.
Aqua Ring?
doesnt that just heal you?
well, in the Anime they can be used as a shield...

In Which Hana Observes Things
So far, in my first trip to Thunderwave Cave, I have learned several things. First- Voltorb are explosive, and as such are not to be used as billiards. Nor are Rattata and Nidoran good bowling pins.
Second- when it comes to reality, version exclusivity is the biggest lie I have ever heard. And I can say that, because Nico and I are currently surrounded by Plusle and Minun. My luck just hasn't been all that good today. Still better than when I jumped and landed on a Nidoran's horn, though. That was not fun.
"So, what made you think this was worth it, again?" Nico asks as our opponents start using Helping Hand. I pause.
"You know, I actually have no idea. I'm gonna start using Power-Up Punch on anything that moves so don't move for, like... the next fifteen minutes or so, okay?" I don't even wait for his response as I start my attack and- more importantly- transition to the blessedly-neutral Fighting Type.
I still try to avoid getting hit by the electricity, though. Different Type or not, that looks painful. I'm probably going to have to deal with it eventually, but not right now. Currently, I am punching red and blue electric rodents in the face.
We don't end up defeating all of them. There's just too many, and we don't have enough time to deal with it. Besides- Feral Pokemon don't move between Dungeon Floors. We just need to outrace them, and from there on out, not our problem. At least until our next trip to Thunderwave Cave.
I'm not nearly as fast on land as I am in the water, but I can jump, so it works out. Nico mostly Scratches anything that gets within range of his paws. "Let's hurry!" I call to him. "Before more show up!"
I'm pretty sure I made the perfect career choice. It's very hard to find another job that lets you do this, after all. Now, if only I had access to a Dungeon that lets me start with a Type advantage...

Despite how fun the adventure is, I'm rather glad when we finally find the Magnemite, because while I was either Normal or Fighting Type for most of it, electricity hurts. Explosions hurt. Voltorb mines are the worst idea any Pokemon has ever had and, if I ever find out who came up with that idea, I'm going to track down Celebi so I can beat them up, because apparently said mines detonate when triggered by random strikes of lightning.
Fortunately, Nico and I were decently far away from the blast, unfortunately, it woke up a nest of sleeping Rattata. At least I can punch those.
"ARE YOU A RESCUE TEAM, BZZ-BZZ-BZZ?" They both ask at once. This probably explains Magneton. I nod.
"We're Team Meteor. Come on. Let's get you out of here." It takes me a few moments to figure out how to operate my Rescue Badge since whoever designed the package didn't include an instruction manual, but I manage. I also come to the conclusion that I need some way to shield my eyes, because that light is intense. Nico doesn't seem bothered by it, which is weird, but since it's only for about fifteen seconds, it's workable.
When the light fades, the two stuck Magnemite struggle for a moment, before managing to drift apart.
"OUR BODIES SEPARATED. REJOICE, BZZ-ZZT!" You know, I never noticed before, but their way of speaking is really annoying to listen to. It sounds like a bad voice program. I suppose my options are either to get used to it, or not have a Magnemite on Team Meteor.
I think about how long it always took the team's Magnemite to level up when this was just a game. If one offers to join, I'm not likely to turn them down but... I'm not gonna go out of my way like I would with Nico. Nico can help me to break the economy and fight Ghosts. Magnemite... is less immediately useful. Maybe if I ever need a spare power source.
"THANK YOU FOR SAVING OUR FRIENDS," One of the Magnemite that originally sent the letter tells us. "THIS IS YOUR REWARD, BZZ-ZZT!" They throw us a small bag and I grin as the money falls out. This is more than twice what I already have! It's not going to get me any TMs or anything, but I think I know the theory behind the really important moves, anyway. How hard could it be to teach myself Dig?

The answer: Not too difficult, but highly tedious. It might be because I'm working with grass, but... Well, I think I can get the Ground Type now. Worthless as an actual attack, though, at least for the moment. That will change one day.
For now, though... we went through Thunderwave Cave quicker than I thought we would, and the wind's picking up, so it'd be uncomfortable to go to the Pelipper Post Office for another job. And I don't feel like spending the entire afternoon learning to fight underground, lack of enemies with Earthquake or not.
More importantly, my house is built above the water. And I want to go for a swim.
Stepping away from my rather pitiful attempts at digging holes, I turn and leap into the water. I wasn't swimming long enough to notice this morning, but for a Water Pokemon, being in water is pure bliss. Movement becomes easier, the oxygen feels fresher, and the lighting is incredible. I consider sleeping down here for a moment before deciding against it. I should probably sleep someplace that others can get to me if they need me. Curling up at the bottom of my pond may be comfortable, but it'd be really inconvenient to everyone else.
Besides, it really is a nice rock.
I float along the bottom for a while, just drifting. It's the most relaxing three hours I've ever had. Of course, I have to leave the water eventually, if only to find food.
It's only after I've found a cheap restaurant that I realize I've completely forgotten about getting started on Water Shuriken. Oh, well. Maybe tomorrow.

In Which Hana Starts To Learn
The best part about living in a game translated to reality is that, as long as a Dungeon has been discovered, you can take jobs there. Even if you've never been there before. And there's a lot of Dungeons that I've never seen on that board.
Naturally, I need to research before going to any of them, at least to figure out what I'll be fighting. Going in blind could be fun, but I want to take jobs I have a reasonable chance of completing. So no new Dungeons today. But once I have enough different Moves... once I have access to enough Types... that will change.
For now, Thunderwave Cave, because I don't feel up to scouting Mount Steel yet and it gives more points than jobs in Tiny Woods. I want that shiny Gold Rank.
The missions aren't all that interesting, though. A Pidgey got lost, a Sunkern wants an Oran Berry... simple things. If we hurry through them, that'll probably leave the entire afternoon. The cash rewards aren't bad, either.
"These are the jobs we're taking?" Nico asks. "Why two at once?" I shrug.
"Why not?"
"And that just about sums up this entire experience thus far," He sighs. Somehow, I doubt he'd put up with me were it not for the fact that I'm apparently the only Pokemon who would hire him. For a certain definition, anyway.
I'd say something about the fact that he just lazes around when we're not in Dungeons, but now isn't really the time for that. Now is the time for Dungeons and shiny things. After that, work on Water Shuriken so I can be better ninja frog.
Now, to see if I can actually put this plan into action.

Rescuing Pokemon is easy. Go into the Dungeon, find the Pokemon, send them out. Deliveries can be more difficult, depending on preexisting item stock and what the Kecleon Brothers are currently selling. Still, the hardest part is always finding the Pokemon, because Dungeons are huge and nobody in their right mind would agree to deliver an item that they had no way of getting.
The part of the day that comes after the jobs are completed is generally there for the chance to relax. To enjoy the fact that not everywhere will change at the drop of a hat. That in some places, reality is stable.
I'm pretty sure Palkia is to blame for the Dungeons at this point. Perhaps working with Giratina... not that I'll ever be able to confirm it. I have better things to do with my life than track down the creator Dragons. Especially when I don't have access to the Ice Type yet. Really, all anyone needs to know is that, in some places, reality twists in over itself and refuses to stabilize. Given Gates to Infinity, it's possible that they could spread, but I'm hoping this world isn't that unstable.
But Dungeons are simple, once you have a basic understanding of what you do. In a way, they're the easiest part of the world to work with.
My new powers, on the other hand... Water is fluid by nature. This makes moves like Water Gun easy, because it's just a stream. Getting it to hold a complex form, like a Water Shuriken, is extremely difficult. And I'm not even at the shuriken forming process yet.
It is currently morning, Nico is not here yet, and the mail isn't due for a while. Which makes it the perfect time to try and levitate balls of water- while getting them to hold their shape. It's very much a work-in-progress. The balls are fragile and just about any distraction causes them to burst.
Distractions like the ground beneath my feet starting to talk. Right. Mount Steel. The Skarmory thing. That's today.
"Hello," The unseen Dugtrio starts. "You are Hana of Team Meteor, correct?"
I nod, though I'm not sure he can see me. "That's right, though I'm afraid you've put me at a disadvantage. You appear to be using Dig at the moment, and I unfortunately cannot see underground. Given your ease about it, I can only assume that you're a Diglett or a Dugtrio."
"Oh, that's right! How very rude of us!" I don't even blink when he emerges. It's just another thing to get used to. "We are here to offer you a job."
I pause. "That's great, but... could you put it in writing? My partner doesn't really seem to trust my judgement a lot of the time, so I'd like to go over it with him. We'll probably end up accepting it either way, but communication is important." I want my team to be functional.
He agrees, and I get to witness the utterly absurd feat of a Dugtrio writing. It is weird.

When Nico comes along for the day I show him the job letter. "You up for a trip to Mount Steel?" I ask, excited to have an actual Type advantage for once, even if it means a boss fight on the peak. "Skarmory can't be that hard to fight!" I mean, I could probably teach myself Rock Throw on the way there and just hope he doesn't have Steel attacks.
"Mount Steel. Steel, Rock, and Fighting Type Pokemon." He blinks. "Is this because the Dungeons we've gone to before had the Type advantage against you?"
"No! Well... not entirely... maybe a little?" I would have done the job either way, but this gives me a good excuse. "We will actually prepare this time, of course."
He gives a visible sigh of relief. "So we're not always going to just run in randomly? And you're going to think of a way for me to deal with the Meditite and Tyrogue?"
"If you're fighting a Meditite or a Tyrogue that means I clearly messed up somewhere," I reply. "In that case, you have permission to hit me. Now come on. We need to see if the Kecleon Shop has any Blast Seeds available."
Sure, boss fights generally made such a thing untenable, but now we don't have narrative conventions to fight at every turn. If I want to breathe fire at a Skarmory and get the full effect, I can. So I will, just to prove it.
Narrative conventions never work in reality, anyway.

Reading this inspired me to give the ROM a quick playthrough. Which went by a lot faster than I remember. Although it's made me curious what you're gonna do about the ninetails rumors and gengar trying to pit the blame on you.

Reading this inspired me to give the ROM a quick playthrough. Which went by a lot faster than I remember. Although it's made me curious what you're gonna do about the ninetails rumors and gengar trying to pit the blame on you.
Well, I'm not about to skip over an entire four Dungeons. Just ask yourself what you'd do if you had complete knowledge of the plot and no impulse control. And the natural consequences of such. Yeah. Hana's gonna do that.

I'm sure someone with a better knowledge of physics would try to game that system
If you can find a dungeon where the exit is lower than the entrance, you can fill it with water and put a wheel (powering a generator) by the exit. The water will accelerate as it flows down the dungeon, so it will exit faster than it went in. Then use the wheel to power a pump to get the water back to the entrance, and if the numbers are right you'll be making more energy than you use to pump the water. If the entrance and exit are close enough, you don't even need a pump: you can put a pipe from the exit to entrance, and the pressure from the water leaving will push it up the pipe.

The vertical distance between the entrance and exit inside the dungeon must be greater than the vertical distance outside the dungeon (plus a little extra distance to make up the energy lost from friction and inefficiency in your pump).

Last edited:
In Which Hana Goes Mountain Climbing, Take One
Mountain Dungeons are weird. And I'm not just saying this because random Dungeon madness, but because of their structure.
Mount Steel, and other such mountains, have two ways to climb them. There's the vanilla way, which is going around on the outside and hoping to whatever Legendaries you worship not to fall. Or there's the more common way, using the cave network inside that just so happens to be a Dungeon.
But then you get to the phenomenon referred to as 'clearing' a Dungeon, and then it gets weirder. You see, these mountains actually have two peaks. One only accessible the normal way, and one reachable through the Dungeon. But if you jump into the Dungeon Peak from the outside, you have to go back down the mountain through the Dungeon.
Or so I've gathered through Nico's preparations and idle chatter, but he's lived in this world longer than I have, so I should probably trust that he knows what he's doing. And this brings up the question of how to climb, because Skarmory is a Flying Pokemon, and likely deposited Diglett on the Dungeon Peak through the outside, which would explain why he doesn't just burrow out.
Not that I'm bothering too much with that part of the planning. Nico and I have our badges, so all that really matters is that we find Diglett in the first place. The real question is what order we plan on tackling the Dungeon floors in, and that bit is simple.
If we get knocked out after defeating Skarmory, we don't get paid. Therefore, fighting Skarmory should be the last thing that we do today. Simple.
If Skarmory takes Diglett away to the not-Dungeon peak, we lose. Time to climb a mountain.

Cave Dungeons, on their own, are not that bad. They lack maneuverability compared to Forest Dungeons, but that's not damning on its own. The Pokemon that appear are less predictable, though there are exceptions to the rule.
Mountain Dungeons are counted as Cave Dungeons, just with the little tidbit of information being that the stairs go up instead of down. Generally speaking, they are shorter than Cave Dungeons, have greater item variety, and are more likely to hold a checkpoint.
And then we get to Mount Steel. It's an anomaly amongst the greater anomaly that calls itself the Mystery Dungeons. Movement is more restricted than normal. For its length, it has a surprising variety in the kinds of Pokemon that can be found there. And it has terrible item selection.
Basically, for a Pokemon that has agility as one of its greatest assets, a Normal Type partner, and a bag with less than perfect item stock, it is very annoying. There's no one Type that does well in this Dungeon, which helps to encourage a varied party, except for the little tidbit where Nico and I are the only members of Team Meteor. I can use Power-Up Punch on the Geodude and Aron, but that leaves me open to attacks from the various Psychic Types, which are surprisingly more common than Steel Types, given the Dungeon's name. Add that to the Flying Type Spearow, and my Egg Move just isn't as good as it could be.
At least the Beldum can't attack without hurting themselves. They're annoying enough as it is.
"Are you sure we can't use the Blast Seeds right now?" Nico asks. I nod.
"It's for an experiment. It'll be great!" I'm staying Water Type for the time being because it's actually an advantage right now. Hardly a perfect one, but I"ll take it.
On the other hand, I've met a very good argument for evolution in the form of Psychic attacks being very not fun, especially as I don't have Lick yet, though I could probably use it purely from theory. Not that it's a particularly viable move.
"If you say so... just three more floors, right?"
"Assuming we don't trigger another Pitfall Trap," I confirm. Two-way Dungeons are painful. At least this version doesn't occasionally send us to a floor with no way forward. I'm looking at you, Etrian Mystery Dungeon.
Now, to Skarmory! And job rewards! But also Skarmory!

So maybe reaching Skarmory took a bit longer than we thought it would, mostly because Meditite and Bide are annoying and cause cave-ins. But we do get to the Dungeon Peak while the sun is still high in the sky and I can see the brown dot across the ravine that's probably Diglett. No sign of giant scary metal bird, though. Probably just out of sight.
I wave across the giant gap. "Hey! You're Diglett, right!? We're a Rescue Team! We'll get to you soon, don't worry!"
"And how do you intend to do that?" Huh. So Steel Types in general are painful to listen to. Good to know. I mean, the Aron and Beldum aren't really good evidence either way when they don't talk, but they do make noises, and it is very unpleasant.
Also, speaking from being right in front of metal-death-bird, those Pokedex entries about their feathers being used as swords? I believe them completely. It's honestly terrifying, if not for the fact that, given his motivations, he can't be all that bright.
"I have ways," I say as cryptically as I can. Next to me, Nico appears to be freaking out- in hindsight, maybe I shouldn't have brought him with me here. Oh, well. Bit too late for that.
"Why are you doing this, anyway?" Nico asks.
"This brat's ilk are running amuck underground and causing earthquakes!" I blink.
"So, you- a Flying Type Pokemon- have a problem with the earthquakes."
"They drive Ferals towards my nest! Dugtrio are known for causing earthquakes, it has to be them!"
"Across the entire continent. Wouldn't it make sense to blame a more powerful Pokemon- such as a Legendary like Groudon?" Not that I'd recommend sending a metal bird to the Magma Cavern, but I'd like to believe that he is capable of being reasonable.
"It doesn't matter! As long as there's a chance that they're causing the problem, I won't give back the Diglett!" And hopes crushed. My life in a nutshell.
"I can't believe you're being the reasonable one," Nico breathed.
"You and me both. Well, now's as good a time as any." And with that, I start throwing the Blast Seeds.
It turns out they're called that for a reason. Six of them at once is enough to leave Skarmory in a crater, feathers melting and fused together. He'll probably be fine after his next molt... I hope... let's not do that again.
"...I think you just won?" Nico asked, tilting his head. Skarmory vanishes to outside the Dungeon... maybe the healing thing will help him? Of course, if it does, that means he could just come back.
"I suppose so. I'll get Diglett." Fortunately, it's not just Blast Seeds in the Toolbox. There's five Warp Seeds or so, and random or not, I make it to the other side of the chasm on my third try.
Now, to go home, sleep this off, and pretend today never happened.

I'm just surprised you haven't tried recruiting anybody for ypur team. It would make sense to have a roster so you could still send a good sized team and not require, say, a grass type go onto a volcano or something. Basically send different people to different plaved based on what typings there are or somesuch.

In Which Hana Doesn't Enter A Dungeon
I watch as the water I've called from the pond swirls into a shuriken shape. It's taken me a week, but I've finally done it. Sort of. It falls apart if anything touches it, but I officially have a starting point! Which is the best thing that's happened all week.
Seriously. My timeline only really gives me order of important events, because pacing is... well... questionable... and nothing seems to be happening right now. So I'm trying to get stronger between jobs. I can actually use Dig in combat now, though I don't see it being properly useful anytime soon. Especially with Groudon being Groudon and causing intermittent Earthquakes.
After his first encounter with Mount Steel, Nico has gained a new respect for my methods, if not my crazy. So he's taken to visiting the Makuhita Dojo when we're not in the Dungeons. It's probably not healthy, but I'm hardly an expert on Meowth physiology. I'm still trying to figure out how my own body works.
Given that we've agreed to take today off for reasons not entirely unrelated to him spraining his paw yesterday, I'm hoping he has enough sense for that. I could go on a job on my own, but that would require finding a simple enough job. And we're not anywhere near well-known enough for Pelipper to be delivering job requests, so I'd have to visit the Post Office. Best to use this time for training, really.
Still, given that I've made more progress with precision water control than I have since I arrived, I'd say I've earned a break. I could probably use any brute-force Water attack so long as I have access to... well... actual water. Which I probably won't have access to in most Dungeons, but it's just until I get strong enough to summon tidal waves and the like. One day.

So, I've just remembered why Nico and I don't normally take days off. Pokemon Square has nothing to do. Well, unless you like to listen to Whiscash, but there's only so many legends you can hear without becoming paranoid that they're going to start affecting your life. We already have Gengar living here, I don't need anything else to complicate things.
And legends complicate things. Every Legendary Pokemon exists and, while defeatable, I need to learn at least Rock Throw before fighting Zapdos, and were it not for my Ability, I wouldn't even be considering that. I'm all for testing myself, but some things should never be done, and messing with a Legendary without the requisite power is one of them.
Speaking of Zapdos... I see Shiftry and Jumpluff in the middle of the square. I'd step in if I didn't know Alakazam was going to do so anyway, but I do, so I don't have to worry about annoying a Grass Type. That's generally not a good idea.
Though, if I didn't know beforehand, it would be hard to miss the ground shaking beneath Tyranitar's feet. Large, heavy Pokemon tend to cause issues with their weight, but if not learning to step lightly is the payoff for him not covering Pokemon Square in a Sandstorm, I am completely okay with that.
I try and keep the hero worship out of my eyes. I'm not entirely sure I succeeded. But they don't seem to be paying me any special attention, so I'm not sure it matters.
Well... I don't think they're paying me any special attention. I may be wrong. Either way, there are far too many powerful Pokemon in the square right now to be comfortable. Back to my water exercises it is.

I am very glad that I decided to spend more time practicing my water control. I still can't make a proper Water Shuriken, but several attacks are possible to brute-force. And that's what I'll need today.
"It's good to see you better," I greet Nico when he shows up- earlier than usual. The mail's not even here yet. A pretty big warning flag, given that's when big things happen.
"It's nice to be back," He replies. "Especially since you can't get anything done without me!"
"That's not true!" Well, not entirely, at least. I haven't even been here for a month. I think. After a while, the days all sort of blend together, especially with the weather we're having.
Seriously. I don't think it's rained once. Maybe another sign of Groudon?
"Maybe the day you stop using Voltorb as cannonballs." They're just so explodable, though! And they don't melt people's feathers. Melting bits of other Pokemon is bad.
"So this is the place, isn't it? This is the base of Team Meteor?" And there it is. The other guaranteed human in the setting, actually sort of alright at the end of the game, but currently the worst asshole this town has to offer. Also with poor naming sense, if his Rescue Team is anything to go by. Generally, you don't go broadcasting your plots for world domination.
"This is my house," I tell Gengar, noting Ekans and Medicham's positions. They seem to be conveniently located- for me, anyway. I just need one of them to move a little. "We're based here because it has a Mailbox and is at the edge of town."
"A Mailbox, huh? Medicham, go check it," He orders. Nico moves forward to try to intercept her, but I stop him.
"Hana what are you doing!? She's gonna get away with our jobs!"
"Not if I have anything to say about it," I disagree. Because, really, it's perfect. With her going to the Mailbox, she, Ekans, and Gengar are together in a straight line.
Water control was difficult to me, at first. I had to learn to operate an entirely new sense that doesn't even exist in humans. But once I got that initial grasping of it... there's still many things I can't do. But there's nothing wrong with simply overcharging the basics, now is there?
I use Surf.

"You probably didn't have to do that," Nico states. "I mean, we don't even know who they were." I answer automatically.
"Ekans, Gengar, and Medicham. Team Meanies. They'll tell everyone around that their eventual endgoal is world domination."
"...Okay, so maybe it was somewhat justified, though Pokemon here generally disapprove of preemptive strikes. How did you even do that, anyway? And why don't you use it in the Dungeons?"
"It's just basic water manipulation," I point out, retracting what's left of the tidal wave back into my pond. I should probably look into cleaning it out sometime. It's great for making the place defensible, though. "I can't use it in the Dungeon because none of the Dungeons we've been to have water in them." Well, except that time we visited Fantasy Strait. But we don't talk about that. It was just an overall bad idea.
There is a very good reason to stick to story Dungeons right now, and that is the fact that we know we can take them. We could probably handle Silent Chasm right about now, but Shiftry's currently there, and I'd rather not risk the encounter. Meanwhile, Sinister Woods just isn't a place I'd like to be if I don't have to.
Which is why we'll probably take another job at Mount Steel today. And, with perfect timing, here comes Pelipper with the mail.
I don't think things could be much better, right now.

meowth is over here like "why hasnt this man evolved." I mean froakie has just been casually tanking electric and grass type attacks blows up skarmary casually just wipes out a full team he seems like a badass.

EDIT: emphasize on SEEMS

Woo! Pokemon SI that doesn't afraid of anything, including getting silly with powers!

That said, I'm not entirely certain water shuriken and the like are achievable without the ultimate power of friendship and bonds so maybe start looking for a kid in a hat?

Back