I'm just waiting for Charlie to mention the LITERAL CREATOR GOD of poke-verse as a potential reason for him being here/existing.

Blasted isekai-ing space llama.
Too bad he checked out before Pokémon Arceus, because then he'd know there's a president.

Though Almia came out before B and W and he didn't know that either, and I don't recall him ever mentioning any Mystery Dungeon.

I'm just waiting for Charlie to mention the LITERAL CREATOR GOD of poke-verse as a potential reason for him being here/existing.

Blasted isekai-ing space llama.
Well...
Too bad he checked out before Pokémon Arceus, because then he'd know there's a president.
Yeah.

Though Almia came out before B and W and he didn't know that either, and I don't recall him ever mentioning any Mystery Dungeon.
Maybe if he'd played any of the spin-offs he wouldn't be so confused.

I don't know why but I am eager to see him evolve.
I see that as perfectly reasonable, honestly. Though it will be a while, and a large leap in power.

Evolution might be more complicated here, at least when not involving special parameters. Weaver advertised her evolution in advance and seemed to be from age more than anything.
Would ghosts evolve through age or from coming to terms with themselves due to how unstable they are, or from how much power they absorb? If eating is the determinator than Charlie hanging out around Marshal, Ryuko, and Patches will cause him to evolve pretty quickly I think.

Evolution might be more complicated here, at least when not involving special parameters. Weaver advertised her evolution in advance and seemed to be from age more than anything.
Would ghosts evolve through age or from coming to terms with themselves due to how unstable they are, or from how much power they absorb? If eating is the determinator than Charlie hanging out around Marshal, Ryuko, and Patches will cause him to evolve pretty quickly I think.

I think that only applies to Pokemon that evolve naturally, like Weaver, whereas Misdreavus needs an evolution stone (dusk stone I believe) to evolve, and I don't see how the author could change that outside of maybe making it take effort of some sort or expanding the possible catalysts in some fashion.

I think that only applies to Pokemon that evolve naturally, like Weaver, whereas Misdreavus needs an evolution stone (dusk stone I believe) to evolve, and I don't see how the author could change that outside of maybe making it take effort of some sort or expanding the possible catalysts in some fashion.
...my bad, I forgot misdreavus wasn't a standard level up evolution. Yeah they need a dusk stone. Well, when the gigaremo units start popping up maybe a dark version could cause it? Dusk stones are special because they are full of dark shadows after all.
The fact there's a honchkrow in town does mean there was a dusk stone though.

Last edited:
General fanon and in this case the authors own canon (see swimming eevee a few chapters back or leafeon who almost certainly lacked a leaf stone and is not in Sinnoh) suggests stone evolutions may be a shortcut for a whole other environmental evolution process. So its not impossible without it a dusk stone, just annoying.

leafeon who almost certainly lacked a leaf stone and is not in Sinnoh
A leafeon was noted to be sleeping on a large mossy rock though as I recall, which covers the level up around a Moss Rock condition.

I suppose in this instance a dusk stone is a replacement for spending vast amounts of time in darkness, so things like caves and moonless nights would be best.

Catalyst: "I put on my robe and wizard hat"
*Starts glowing*

It'd be funny

Not sure why, but I had a scenario in my head where he goes Flutter Mane instead of Mismagius.

Not sure how it would work but hey.
"Hey Dialga, Palkia? ...Mew?"

"Yeah?"

"What?"

"Hiya!"

"Lets fuck with this one in particular, really make the scientists question themselves."

General fanon and in this case the authors own canon (see swimming eevee a few chapters back or leafeon who almost certainly lacked a leaf stone and is not in Sinnoh) suggests stone evolutions may be a shortcut for a whole other environmental evolution process. So its not impossible without it a dusk stone, just annoying.
Hoo boy, Evolution.

Even just in general it's a difficult topic, simply for how many ways it can be interpreted. Evo stones, environmental conditions, day/night cycles, friendship, love, knowing certain moves, held items, sexes, all of those have been used in the games for evolution.

How far to take it is still something I'm debating, but I do like the idea of a stone being a kind of shortcut for those that need them. How much of one then becomes its own question. But I've already been writing as if they aren't necessary so...

In the case of eevee, let's say, it's a matter of exposure or immediate need. Drop an eevee in lava and a good half the time you'll get a flareon. Keep them in a volcano for long enough and it will happen naturally.

Or say, an eevee that already knew psychic moves and was using a large amount of that power in a high stress situation. Viola, an espeon.

This all ignores the question of what evo stones even are, but that feels like it could have a simple answer.

In short, it's a topic that has been discussed for decades at this point, and where my interpretation will fall is still somewhat unclear, but leaning towards stone not being needed, though helpful.

I suppose in this instance a dusk stone is a replacement for spending vast amounts of time in darkness, so things like caves and moonless nights would be best.
Certainly an idea, though... as I've said in another post, my beta put me onto Deepest Lore by complete accident, and I intend to use it.

Catalyst: "I put on my robe and wizard hat"
*Starts glowing*

It'd be funny
"I though you were kidding about the robe and hat."

Charlie, freaking out over tripling in size: "I THOUGHT I WAS TOO!"

Now, the Deepest Lore comment sent me on a wiki walk.
And I found that the PMD games described the Dusk Stone as "hypnotizing". Now, that effect is obviously too weak to actually do anything, but maybe it could amplified. Perhaps with machinery.
Yes, I'm proposing that a Dusk Stone is linked to, if not the quite the same thing as, the Dark Shards powering the Gigaremo units. Though the smaller shards powering the individual machines are most likely not functional as evolution stones, as that strikes me as too easy.

I am also fairly certain that, despite the name not being said yet from what I can tell via quick thread search, that the MC was/is living in the Chroma Highlands. My reasons are that these are the in game locations of an important ruined shack (afaik the only area with those kind of buildings in the game) as well as the location of the only Misdreavous you encounter in the game. It is also, coincidentally, the place where team Dim Sun mined their Dark Shards (and big Shadow Crystal) from.

Bottom line, while I can't speculate when or how, I'm fairly certain that the Gigaremo (and Miniremo) machines and their influence will play a vital role in the MCs eventual evolution.

Last edited:
I am also fairly certain that, despite the name not being said yet from what I can tell via quick thread search, that the MC was/is living in the Chroma Highlands. My reasons are that these are the in game locations of an important ruined shack (afaik the only area with those kind of buildings in the game) as well as the location of the only Misdreavous you encounter in the game. It is also, coincidentally, the place where team Dim Sun mined their Dark Shards (and big Shadow Crystal) from.
This is sort of where expanding the size of the world runs into problems. In the game, Vientown, like most pokemon starting towns, was four buildings. I did consider having Charlie be the misdreavus in the highlands before realizing how close that put him to two things he really shouldn't be encountering yet.

I'm also going to assume you haven't played the game if you think the Chroma Highlands are west of Vientown. Not that I can fault people for not playing it, it was a spinoff on the DS. Maybe I should have an in-story look at a map soon...

Are ghosts forming in that location and all the plants dead because there are dusk stones under that cabin?
I'm not sure what to say to that other than it's a plot point from when I wasn't planning anything. I have an in-universe explanation, but it hasn't and might not come up.

It means we should be afraid.
Very.

Put that way I think its probably more than the props. Its more like getting into the magical state of mind. Which the props greatly help with.
That's an amazing idea that I wish I could make fit here. Pokemon evolving based on mentality seems like a good explanation if I hadn't already been operating on a different paradigm. I'll need to keep it in mind.

I'm also going to assume you haven't played the game if you think the Chroma Highlands are west of Vientown.
I actually have played the game, but it was once as a child when it came out and I used the wiki to refresh my incredibly vague memories.
So I remembered that there was a Misdreavous and an abandoned shack somewhere in the same region and confirmed that, but forgot to check where that region actually was in relation to other places.

You all have now made me want to see a bunch of puny humans get curbstomped by a pokemon that should have no knowledge of such, at games. Video, board, or card or tabletop matters not.

You all have now made me want to see a bunch of puny humans get curbstomped by a pokemon that should have no knowledge of such, at games. Video, board, or card or tabletop matters not.

Oh, this would be good. And it would be easy to do, too. After all, I remember Charlie asking about the year and Weaver saying it was something in the 1980s, so arcades should be a thing. So all you would need to do is a short blurb about Charlie noticing an arcade while in town, and then another short blurb about him exiting the arcade with a bunch of winnings.

This is fun so far. The characters have all been good, and the pacing has been a good mix of slow and fast, though I admit I don't know anything about SoA beyond a bit from osmosis.
Main thing I've been struggling with is actually Charlie's training sessions, it's hard for me to grok what he's actually managing to do when he's experimenting.

Oh, this would be good. And it would be easy to do, too. After all, I remember Charlie asking about the year and Weaver saying it was something in the 1980s, so arcades should be a thing. So all you would need to do is a short blurb about Charlie noticing an arcade while in town, and then another short blurb about him exiting the arcade with a bunch of winnings.

True hadnt thought of that but I was more imagining like dnd or mtg or something along those lines with rangers on break and a running gag that they are 100 percent sure they can read minds and cheat as they collect bits and bobs they find interesting in matches or whatever

Back