Humanity as an eldricht horror

Those seem less "humans are eldritch abominations" than it does "humans are evil"; humans are being portrayed as being perfectly understandable, just monstrous.

It also lacks any explanation as for why the observing species would be any different. Humans are actually nicer than most other Earth species after all; less violent, less cruel, more generous, more considerate of others. We're simply more powerful, not worse.
Name one Lovecraft outer god or great old one that is benevolent.

Eldritch abominations aren't eldritch because you can't understand them- Cthulhu has an entire biography for Heaven's sakes. It is born of Nug, which was born of the union of Yog-Sothoth and Shub-Niggurath. Characters do not go insane from failure to contextualize them. They go mad because that they can understand them- and that understanding makes them realize how utterly irrelevant they are. To quote the epitomal Call of Cthulu itself.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
What is the horror of Cthulhu? It is inevitability and of meaninglessness. All of existence is yet but a dream of Azathoth. One day it will wake and nothing will remain. Not even a record that it even existed at all.

The thing about what me and jem wrote is that we took the basic, hegemonizing nature of modern capitalism, extrapolated some worsening trends IRL and framed it as an animalistic throwback. Remember, the title of the thread is 'humanity as an eldritch horror.' The ability to eat spices and monkeyspheres are not horror. The idea that we converted our worst habits of survival in the savannahs to murder the world for insignificant shinies and social status is horror.

I think that by inserting clearly non-human traits into this hypothetical humanity you're going against the spirit of the idea.

To a hive mind the fact that each one of is an individual would be mind blowing.

Imagine that you are a hive mind and you have reached out and touched five or six other hiveminds in the universe.

Then we come, we are impossible, when all of existence has been only a dozen individuals to find a tidal wave of billions pouring fourth, each with it's own thoughts and ideas,

It would be mind numbing trying to understand us.
We would be impossible or so far outside of their understanding of reality that we could be seen as a horror.

Name one Lovecraft outer god or great old one that is benevolent.
"Benevolent" describes a very small range of possible behaviours and motivations. Once you've specified that, you've specified almost everything, and incomprehensiblity is lost. On the other hand "not benevolent" describes... everything else.
What is the horror of Cthulhu? It is inevitability and of meaninglessness.
This the thing a human finds horrifying about Cthulhu's existence, but it is not an understanding of Cthulhu. Cthulhu's nature, goals, motivations, and plans are essentially beyond your understanding, and will go on just the same whether you understand them or not, and it is precisely that lack of understanding that emphasizes your cosmic unimportance.
The idea that we converted our worst habits of survival in the savannahs to murder the world for insignificant shinies and social status is horror.
"The things I don't like about modern civilization are eldritch horror" come on man

"The things I don't like about modern civilization are eldritch horror" come on man
That's a very reductive reading of my post. I think the application of our intellectual pursuits to overdo animalistic behaviors is disquieting, and with proper framing can be seen in the lens of cosmic horror. But sure, I hate civilization.

Was re-reading this thread, when I had an idea; Humanity, to other species, is like a combination of Slenderman, Fiddlesticks The Ancient Fear (in his current form) and a more mutilated version of the true appearance of the sheep in the comic linked back on page 1. As in, our appearance can be described as the mutilated, burnt corpse of one of their own that has been reanimated, distorted and swathed in furs and cloths dyed in seemingly impossible colours and patterns. But our voices are like those of sirens, merfolk (the sort that sing beautifully) and the most beatific singers (voice-wise) to ever exist all fused together into one heavenly choir. Few short of the most strong-willed or alternatively-tasted-in-music being able to resist our persuasions and charisma for long.
I think there's definitely some potential for humans looking creepy or icky to aliens:

- To furry, feathered, or scaly aliens our hairless soft skin might make us look diseased or like decayed corpses, or it might just make us look weird to them in the way naked mole rats look weird to us. They might think our soft thin skin is kind of gross as our internal meat and fluids are so close to the surface and sometimes our veins and other features of our internal anatomy are disturbingly visible. Also I think aliens who don't sweat might think that's really gross.

- The human upright stance is very unusual in animals (which is why we've classically thought of it as one of the things that distinguishes us from animals). Even other bipeds mostly don't stand or walk the way we do. It's the product of a very specific and unusual evolutionary history of becoming arboreal and then re-evolving into ground-dwellers. So I think it might be a very unusual trait among intelligent species, maybe unique to humans, and it's certainly something that might make us look weird to aliens.

The Thranx from Alan Dean Foster's Humanx Commonwealth novels had this sort of opinion about us when they first met us. They're insectoid aliens with exoskeletons, and they thought our exposed meat was gross. It didn't help that we reminded them of dangerous predatory animals that exist on their homeworld.

But I don't think this sort of thing is really eldritch horror-ey (not by itself, anyway), it'd just make the aliens think we look kind of gross and creepy.

Getting back to @Memphet'ran's idea of how a less social species would look at humans, imagine a species that did manage to civilize itself but had to do so by consciously and explicitly creating the social mechanisms we handle more-or-less instinctively.

We look like a race or telepaths or seers who all the time just seem to know what to do, what others are thinking and how to get along with each other. Where they have rigid and detailed rules of behavior that have to be followed to the letter lest everything fall apart, we have (by comparison) vague guidelines that we ignore half the time yet everything works anyway. We can tell where other humans are looking without speaking to them, we can communicate "telepathically" with subtle social cues like that. We can predict or even manipulate the behavior of others just by becoming familiar with them, and sometimes without even that.
Aliens like that might also have lower social intelligence than humans, which might make us super-charismatic by their standards to the point that to them it might almost look like we have psionic mind-reading and mind control powers. Now that's a trait I could see working for "humans as eldritch horrors."

I don't have the link on hand but I remember reading a story a while back that had the premise of Earth being invaded and conquered by aliens who were less intelligent than us, so we were like an entire race of geniuses to them. The story was mostly about exploring how we might effect the aliens' society; I thought the execution was kind of mediocre but the premise was interesting. A story kind of like that but with the aliens being as smart as humans in terms of general intelligence but having lower social intelligence would be interesting. Think stuff like the alien invaders quickly having to invent protocols like "when interrogating a human prisoner the prisoner should be kept in a sound-proofed cell with an electronic audio feed the only available communication with you, stick to this rigid script, do not let them influence the direction of the conversation, if they even attempt anything but yes/no answers and short strictly on-topic elaborations cut off your audio feed out so you physically can't hear what they're saying, respond to any spontaneous speech by cutting off your audio feed, last week we tried interrogating one of these beings and within two hours the prisoner talked the interrogator into turning traitor, helping them escape, and defecting to the humans."

To a hive mind the fact that each one of is an individual would be mind blowing.

Imagine that you are a hive mind and you have reached out and touched five or six other hiveminds in the universe.

Then we come, we are impossible, when all of existence has been only a dozen individuals to find a tidal wave of billions pouring fourth, each with it's own thoughts and ideas,

It would be mind numbing trying to understand us.
We would be impossible or so far outside of their understanding of reality that we could be seen as a horror.
One of the bits I liked in the Starship Troopers book was the part where it said that a species like us would probably be even more alien and exotic to a hive mind species than a hive mind species is to us.

Last edited:
I don't have the link on hand but I remember reading a story a while back that had the premise of Earth being invaded and conquered by aliens who were less intelligent than us, so we were like an entire race of geniuses to them. The story was mostly about exploring how we might effect the aliens' society; I thought the execution was kind of mediocre but the premise was interesting.
Pandora's Planet/Pandora's Legions by Christopher Anvil. It was pretty funny, especially early in the story; it made for a better short story than a novel.

C: Commenting on how hive minds see us, at a glance human society might look an awful lot like a terminal cancer patient that miraculously keeps trudging through the cosmos out of sheer spite. The constituents of a hive mind are basically cells in their body, in terms of function, often with specific predefined purposes to execute. Deviant cells need to be eliminated immediately, so as to prevent them from destroying the whole; even without that migration between hive minds could easily result in what basically amounts to "tissue rejection".

Then along comes humanity. From their perspective, every single one of our "cells" is cancerous, concerned primarily with individual survival above all other concerns. Our societies are rife with persistent bad actors, and resources are often diverted from critical social wellbeing to stoke the tumors. By all their logic, we should have collapsed eons ago due to lack of cooperation. And yet, we don't.

One possible take is setting basically transhuman sci-fi humanity onto a space opera sci-fi setting.

Various seemingly different alien polities are met, only for the aliens to discover that they're all originally from the same species.

The various different polities inhabiting the numerous swarming habitats of Dyson, the massive stellar computer of Matrioshka and its digital minds, the animalistic forms of the Therians, the strangely individualistic robots of Penrose living around a caged black hole.

Basically pulling on Lovecraft's, rather narrow minded, idea that people wanting to be not 'pure' in body and/or mind is maddening, putting focus on the various mindsets humans could have.

One possible take is setting basically transhuman sci-fi humanity onto a space opera sci-fi setting.

Various seemingly different alien polities are met, only for the aliens to discover that they're all originally from the same species.

The various different polities inhabiting the numerous swarming habitats of Dyson, the massive stellar computer of Matrioshka and its digital minds, the animalistic forms of the Therians, the strangely individualistic robots of Penrose living around a caged black hole.

Basically pulling on Lovecraft's, rather narrow minded, idea that people wanting to be not 'pure' in body and/or mind is maddening, putting focus on the various mindsets humans could have.
J: Funny you should mention that; We're writing the first novel in a sci-fi series designed to be as hard science and transhumanist as possible while still being enough of a space opera to attract that audience. It should be ready for release by early-mid January.

Several of the smartest animals on earth have very limited tool creation capabilities.

What if the aliens are something akin to ravens, whales, or dolphins.

Our machinery would be eldritch horrors to them and what we could do with tools would be terrifying.

In the case of birds we might literally be giant capable of casually killing even their strongest and largest with casual swipes of our arms, or solid grips.

Our information gathering is quite impressive as well, most of our senses pale in comparison to other animals but we kind of have a very impressive total.
A deep sea based intelligent life form may find our use of sight insane, and our ability to communicate with facial expressions would seem like psyonics.

To truly be an eldritch horror though the easiest example would be if we came across a living 2d alien race. We could to their senses teleport and destroy them in ways they could no defend from.

A deep sea based intelligent life form may find our use of sight insane, and our ability to communicate with facial expressions would seem like psyonics.
Even better, a burrowing species that's outright blind (an example from fiction would be the Blind Ones from the Sector General series). We'd be creatures using a long distance sense they don't have, who come from a sky they can't see; at least we can see the stars, to them the sky is just a void.

Last edited:
How about a race that sees "Concept of self" as something private to be protected unless you lose yourself to the Universe as they see it. Along come creatures that poke and Prod what they do not understand. They apply names to something's concept of self, Immobilizing it, and redefining its purpose. Doing so allows these fearful creatures to consume parts of the Race, paralyzing the Race, Trapping a member of that race to an "unnatural" purpose. Eventially the creatures, having named the "Race" into metaphysical, and conceptual Immobility, leave the remains of the race behind to die in definition to the void.

An idea somebody else once wrote down, I can't find the post now: the Blindsight (Peter Watts novel) premise with a twist:

Most intelligent beings are intelligent but non-conscious beings like Scramblers, but every once in a while some intelligent beings develop a soul infection. The soul is an extra-dimensional parasite that attaches itself to creatures with high cognitive capacity. Souls are sort of Boltzmann brain type entities from very entropic universes that require information from less entropic cosmoses to sustain themselves; to this end they hijack the brains of their victims to produce complex information they incorporate into themselves. Symptoms of soul infection include consciousness and "useless" behavior such as the creation of art. It's really a parasite rather than a symbiote as in terms of survival ability soul infection is a pure disadvantage for the infected organism. Soul infection is usually rare, but some species are unusually vulnerable to it, e.g. soul infection rate in Humans is either 100% or very close to that.

Alternate version: the same scenario, but souls are symbiotes rather than pure parasites, as the soul can provide magical powers to its host (this was the original idea of the person I got this idea from).

Alternate scenario, bonus round: instead of stereotypical shooting fireballs and stuff, the soul-derived magic is more of a subtle Teela Brown casualty manipulation sort of deal that runs on "take a third option" and "I have faith" and "never tell me the odds" and "I reject your reality and substitute my own" psychology. For ordinary intelligent but non-conscious entities the most logical thing to do is basically always the smartest thing to do, but soul-infected beings can sometimes do illogical things and succeed "against the odds" precisely because they're doing something illogical, in a sort of narrativium-ish way.

Last edited:
Some more ideas:

A hive mind might find humanity seriously disturbing because we die. All the time. For a species that effectively lives forever unless an entire hive is killed, something that takes enough effort that it's a historically significant event, the fact that humans die so often it's normally of note only to a relative handful of friends and relatives could be seriously disturbing. Especially given the fact that we all die after only what is to them a historical eyeblink of time.

A species that reproduced by fissioning into mental and physical copies might find up disturbing at the other end of the life cycle. They likely don't even have concepts like "children" or "immaturity"; they all have memories and a personally history stretching back into however long their memories last. Among them there's no such thing as truly new people, much less "incomplete" ones. To them we're the Backwards People, who start out with what to them looks like massive brain damage and then get better instead of worse. And the fact that we have a "start" will be weird on its own.

Back