How Credible Is MMT? (Modern Monetary Theory)

??? The economy has not been stagnant since the 80s dude.

It's wrong and misleading because you're starting from a high point for profit during the post WWII boom. If you extended the data back another 2 decades, then your data would have showed a huge trough during the Great Depression. The post WWII boom was the exception, not the rule.

No I don't think the rate of return on capital will grow like it did after the Great Depression, but I also think it will not fall significantly like you claimed. It has basically held steady for 35 years and show no sign of changing.
No sign of changing? What the fuck was 2007-2008 then?

Nice strawman, you literally just got done dismissing a 35 year timespan as "momentary' and now you're trying to argue a 2 year timespan is somehow indicative of long term change.
1. I called a 15-20 year timespan momentary in the context of an eighty year trend,
2. I'm not using the great recession as indication that there is long-term secular decline in the rate of profit, only as an example of a sign that profit can decline, something that you said did not exist.

1. I called a 15-20 year timespan momentary in the context of an eighty year trend,

It was a 36 year period during a 70 year timespan, stop lying.

2. I'm not using the great recession as indication that there is long-term secular decline in the rate of profit, only as an example of a sign that profit can decline, something that you said did not exist.

At no point did I ever claim this, stop lying.

This is what I said:

Gamesguy said:
No I don't think the rate of return on capital will grow like it did after the Great Depression, but I also think it will not fall significantly like you claimed. It has basically held steady for 35 years and show no sign of changing.

I was clearly talking about the long term trend. Even your own fucking source shows that profit has bounced back from the recession.

Moreover, you were talking about the long term trend this entire time and now suddenly you decided to talk about a temporary two year drop because you've lost this argument so it's time to start debating in bad faith.

It was a 36 year period during a 70 year timespan, stop lying.

At no point did I ever claim this, stop lying.

This is what I said:

I was clearly talking about the long term trend. Even your own fucking source shows that profit has bounced back from the recession.

Moreover, you were talking about the long term trend this entire time and now suddenly you decided to talk about a temporary two year drop because you've lost this argument so it's time to start debating in bad faith.
I can only go off of my source, which said that the post-1980s decline began in 1997. That's not a 36 year timespan, or a 35 year time span, since you can't seem to make up your mind.

You literally said there have been no signs of changing like, two posts ago.

I can only go off of my source, which said that the post-1980s decline began in 1997. That's not a 36 year timespan, or a 35 year time span, since you can't seem to make up your mind.

Your source is full of shit, even your first graph disagrees. And you've completely ignored the German counter-example I showed because apparently Germany, Marx's birthplace, doesn't count as an economy or something.
You literally said there have been no signs of changing like, two posts ago.

Yes, the 36 year trend of stagnation shows no trend of changing. It's interesting how you've suddenly developed an inability to comprehend things like context now that you've run out of arguments.

Your source is full of shit, even your first graph disagrees. And you've completely ignored the German counter-example I showed because apparently Germany, Marx's birthplace, doesn't count as an economy or something.

Yes, the 36 year trend of stagnation shows no trend of changing. It's interesting how you've suddenly developed an inability to comprehend things like context now that you've run out of arguments.
Germany is 5.93% of the world GDP, the US ranged from over a third to a quarter of world GDP over the time the graph covers. So yeah, while Germany counts as an economy, it's not like, representative.

You haven't addressed my source. You've just said it's shit, and offered no counter points worth the name.

Where the fuck are you getting this 36 year trend of stagnation? You haven't sourced this, so I have to assume you've made it up.

Germany is 5.93% of the world GDP, the US ranged from over a third to a quarter of world GDP over the time the graph covers. So yeah, while Germany counts as an economy, it's not like, representative.

In what way is the United States representative of the global economy?

You haven't addressed my source. You've just said it's shit, and offered no counter points worth the name.

Where the fuck are you getting this 36 year trend of stagnation? You haven't sourced this, so I have to assume you've made it up.

Stop pretending you have amnesia. I gave you multiple sources earlier in the thread and you cropped them out of your replies and pretended they didn't exist.

Now you're even pretending your own fucking source(red line) doesn't exist:
YOU said:
Numerous sources I provided:

In what way is the United States representative of the global economy?

Stop pretending you have amnesia. I gave you multiple sources earlier in the thread and you cropped them out of your replies and pretended they didn't exist.

Now you're even pretending your own fucking source(red line) doesn't exist:

Numerous sources I provided:

The US is more representative than Germany, I actually did talk about those graphs.

The US is more representative than Germany, I actually did talk about those graphs.
Oh look, you literally dropped your entire fucking argument to quibble over whether Germany is representative of what Marx thought to be a capitalist economy. Literally everything. You stopped arguing about whether profit is declining, you stopped arguing about charts and sources and timespans. Even though all I did was repost sources I've already posted and you ignored.

It has become very clear to me that you have zero intention of debating in good faith and want to just drag this out for as long as possible.

Back