House of the Dragon premiering August 21

watchersonthewall.com

House of the Dragon Makes its Debut on August 21st on HBO | Watchers on the Wall | A Game of Thrones Community 2014 - 2023

A Game of Thrones Community for Breaking News, Casting, and Commentary

Daemon:

All the other cast photos at the link.

Along with the poster above, they have released new photos featuring Paddy Considine as Viserys Targaryen, Matt Smith as Daemon Targaryen, Emma D'Arcy as Rhaenyra Targaryen, Olivia Cooke as Alicent Hightower, Rhys Ifans as Otto Hightower, Steve Toussaint as Corlys Velaryon and Eve Best as Rhaenys Velaryon, Milly Alcock as young Rhaenyra and Emily Carey as young Alicent, Fabien Frankel as Ser Criston Cole, and Sonoya Mizuno as Mysaria

It's very interesting to see how people are reacting to this: some hopeful, many disgusted. They really need to hit it out of the park with this.

The sheer bad taste and legacy of the show, and I'm not just talking S8 here, the show in general is momentous. GOT went from a show everyone memed and brought up to being something almost tabboo. Hell, I still recall watching Karate Kid and have a character referencing the Wildlings. It has not aged well, despite being a pretty good joke.

It's very interesting to see how people are reacting to this: some hopeful, many disgusted. They really need to hit it out of the park with this.

The sheer bad taste and legacy of the show, and I'm not just talking S8 here, the show in general is momentous. GOT went from a show everyone memed and brought up to being something almost tabboo. Hell, I still recall watching Karate Kid and have a character referencing the Wildlings. It has not aged well, despite being a pretty good joke.

The people who are disgusted with a new show which has nothing to do with the original (apart from sharing the 'universe') honestly have something wrong with them IMO. The insane over-reaction to S8 being disappointing was already an absolute tour-de-force in toxic fandom run absolutely fucking amok (think the freefolk reddit - ughhhhh) and anyone transplanting it over to a new show with new showrunners and writers is probably one of them.

I don't want to rehash S8 discussions but this is very much a PR problem. People still haven't forgiven HBO and the show runners for letting GoT gone the way it did. It's completely valid for people to be mistrusting of this show.

Now it could be good, even better than the original, and I hope so - but that's a pretty high bar to clear.

They're really gonna have to work hard if they want to make me interested in this after S8 retroactively burned GoT from the public's memory, like I already have a HBO Max account but would rather rewatch Chernobyl.

Not helping this their second attempt at a GoT prequel show, with the first one set in the Age of Heroes only getting a pilot that got hard cancelled by HBO and buried where no one will ever find it.

On a flip side, with the expectation this low, a merely decent show would still be received well.

Not helping this their second attempt at a GoT prequel show, with the first one set in the Age of Heroes only getting a pilot that got hard cancelled by HBO and buried where no one will ever find it.

I think that's a good thing. It shows HBO is not willing to release shit, and will only put something in front of an audience if they think it's good. Everyone thought that prequel idea sounded bad sight unseen.

Last edited:
It's being put up against Amazon's LOTR series, though (September 2 premiere), so even "merely decent" might be snowed under "not as good as that other show" criticisms.
Yes, but from the looks of it, LOTR series is going to be more controversial and judged by higher standards, and HotD can benefit from that.

Game of Thrones was pretty bad by the end but it only become hated by the wider audience in Season 8 because 'the ending sucked.' The show will do fine because people eat up the political stuff which the Dance of Dragons is all about. Whether it can recapture Game of Thrones numbers is a different question.

Paddy Considine in an HBO show that isn't similar to any of his previous work feels surreal. He's a very good actor and they all seem to be, which is a big step up on Game of Thrones' predominantly younger cast.

The show will do fine because people eat up the political stuff which the Dance of Dragons is all about.
It depends on what the showrunners focus on, though. Is it the political stuff (which, IIRC, was underbaked even in Fire and Blood)? Is it the Targaryen Soap Opera, which is distinct from political stuff? Or is rail-shooter Panzer Dragoon, except in Westeros with 21st-century CGI?

Game of Thrones was pretty bad by the end but it only become hated by the wider audience in Season 8 because 'the ending sucked.' The show will do fine because people eat up the political stuff which the Dance of Dragons is all about. Whether it can recapture Game of Thrones numbers is a different question.

DoD has a strong benefit of not (I mean probably) having a fantasy plotline the showrunners hated and shit on despite it being the most compelling plotline in the show by the end of it.

It depends on what the showrunners focus on, though. Is it the political stuff (which, IIRC, was underbaked even in Fire and Blood)? Is it the Targaryen Soap Opera, which is distinct from political stuff? Or is rail-shooter Panzer Dragoon, except in Westeros with 21st-century CGI?

Its the Dance of Dragons, so yeah Fire and Blood.

Daemon's armor looks amazing.

watchersonthewall.com

New House of the Dragon interviews, cover shoot, and more from EW! | Watchers on the Wall | A Game of Thrones Community 2014 - 2023

A Game of Thrones Community for Breaking News, Casting, and Commentary

Daemon vs Criston Cole (obviously a tourney)

Great Council of Harrenhal, which is how the show will begin:

Article:

ew.com

How 'Game of Thrones' enters a new age with 'House of the Dragon'

The cast and creators of 'Game of Thrones' prequel 'House of the Dragon' go back to the heyday of the Targaryen empire in Westeros... and the civil war that tore it all down.

As always, talking about the reaction to the disappointment of GOT:

For better or worse, everyone had (and still has) something to say about how Thrones series creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss ended the final season of their adaptation of Martin's core novels. The most barbarous critics suggested it ruined their entire Thrones experience, which Paddy Considine — who plays King Viserys I on House of the Dragon — can understand, even if he doesn't wholly agree. "When you live with something for so many years and watch those characters on that adventure, I think people start to write their own endings," says the Peaky Blinders alum. "I feel like a bit of that probably happened. And I was probably one of them, as well."

"People are always going to have something to say about the way a beloved thing comes to an end," adds co-showrunner Ryan Condal (Colony, Rampage), who co-created House of the Dragon with Martin. "What they say doesn't really affect the way we approach this. We have this huge legacy to carry forward. [And we want to] do that in the best way that honors what came before, but also doesn't do the thing that I think a lot of sequels do: Here's [what] you love wrapped up in a different packaging."

Also:

(The events building up to and during the war span decades, according to Martin's text. House of the Dragon will play out linearly over those decades, with Milly Alcock and Emily Carey playing Rhaenyra and Alicent as young girls before Emma D'Arcy and Olivia Cooke take over the roles as adults.)

Last edited:
I'm disappointed they're not taking the opportunity to fix the poor kingsguard costuming from GoT despite putting the effort back into the other costumes. Like I understand that's the look of it in the visualcanon but I think they should have ignored it because it stands out as visually distinct.

I'm disappointed they're not taking the opportunity to fix the poor kingsguard costuming from GoT despite putting the effort back into the other costumes. Like I understand that's the look of it in the visualcanon but I think they should have ignored it because it stands out as visually distinct.

Do you mean it looks 'wrong' compared to other armor they've used in the show?

Huh, didn't think they'd go that far back. The lighting on this bugs me because it makes everyone look, sweaty I think.

Now that you've said that I can't unsee it. I'd imagine the show will look different, production stills always look kind of different to the finished product.

Back