Horror Discussion and Recommendation Thread

WarShipper

I'm here to stay, alright?
I've been watching a lot of horror movies on netflix the past week, and I'm starting to itch for a way to fin some really good ones. Then I realized that there doesn't seem to be any kind of general thread for talking about horror stuff - for talking about how horror movies work, which ones are coming out, what to watch if you're bored for the night, so on and so forth.

I suppose I'll start with some of the better movies I've seen recently.

The Mimic Trilogy.
Mimic, 1, 2, 3 are a series of horror movies in a shared universe. A bunch of children begin to die off from a pandemic whose main carrier consists of cockroaches. An entomologist is brought in and given the job of creating a species of insect tailor made to kill off all of the cockroaches, thus preventing the pandemic from spreading any further. She succeeds, creating the "Judas" breed of insect, which is engineered to die off within a single generation. That's the opening to the first film.

Mimic 1 was an effective movie that genuinely managed to be scary, but I feel that some of the characters were superfluous, they revealed the appearance and nature of the antagonist too quickly, and the end was... well, it tied things up quite nicely, but it felt a little too certain. The "surprise monster reveal" at the end of horror movies may be a tired cliche, but cliches exist for a reason and having everything get wrapped up, neat as a bow, harmed the movie. I think. I still liked it.

Mimic 2, I consider the best movie of the trilogy. A little gimmicky in that the main character, an entomologist who teaches high school, uses her knowledge to almost too much effect against the enemy, but they still managed to keep tension up, the characters were interesting, and they worked with the fact that most audiences would already know what the bugs were extremely well. I especially liked how competent the characters were and the various nods to the previous movie. The very best part, however, was the end - it brought together a collection of seemingly meaningless details distributed over the course of the film into a trio of extremely well done ending scenes.

Mimic 3... to be perfectly honest, I barely watched it. It was just so boring. It was about some kind of voyeur hikkikomori crammed into an apartment and watching all the people around his house through a camera. And also he had a sister and there was some kind of burgler (?) or something? And it ends with the MC hiding inside a fridge to protect himself from an explosion that destroys the house and all of the Judas. I'll admit to only watching this movie over the screen of my laptop, but it was so boring, quiet, and generally un-interesting that there was nothing that ever actually drew my interest from the laptop and to the TV.

=-=-=

Oculus.
Over a decade ago, a brother and sister pairs' parents were killed - the mother by the father, the father by the brother. The brother was installed inside an asylum and the sister went on with her life. The movie starts as the brother is finally released from the asylum, whereupon he meets with his sister. His sister, however, reveals that she's spent all the time since preparing. What happened when they were kids, she says, is that the family bought a mirror known as the Lasser Glass which proceeded to drive everybody insane, murderous, and suicidal. She then reveals that she's acquired the mirror once more and set up a machiavellian "trap" for it - cameras, redundant lighting, alarms for everything including to remind them to eat, even having her fiance prepared to call the police if they don't check in with him regularly. The brother, however, is convinced that everything from their childhood was a delusion and that the "accepted" view is the correct one.

I enjoyed this movie greatly. The best parts are the dynamic between the brother and the sister, skeptical versus an almost fanatic belief, and the fact that throughout the movie flashbacks to when the pair were children - and the massacre then - is seamlessly integrated into the narrative. Later on you begin to question everything the protagonists see, hear, know - and oftentimes you question whether or not you're getting the correct view of things as well. In addition, a greatly contributing factor to enjoyment of the film is the mystery - are the supernatural elements of the movie genuine, or are you simply getting a look into the minds of an entire family plagued by insanity and self-destructing because of it?

=-=-=

Infini
In the distant future, pretty much everybody is in poverty and the only decent jobs are those that involve space mining, military, or exploration. Extremely dangerous jobs due both to the whole "space" part and because the only prevalent method of FTL has a fair potential for inducing "corruption," AKA madness in the people involved. Whit Carmichael, rookie on the job, ends up trapped on the Infini, a shitstorm from the past that's got a potentially world-ending infection of some sort floating around. A team of Search of Rescue operatives are given the mission to teleport to Infini, save Carmichael, and make certain the payload on Infini has no chance of getting to Earth.

What follows is like a mixture of 28 Days Later and Event Horizon.

I can't really describe too much of what goes on without dipping heavily into spoilers, but I really fucking enjoyed this movie. It's disorienting, confusing, and maddening - and it does all three of those things extremely well because we know that it's even worse for the characters, as they're driven into insanity and try to work out a way to get the fuck home. The characters are extremely sympathetic even as they turn into monsters, Whit Carmichael is an utter badass, and the ending manages to deliver a message that hits you right in the gut for how heartfelt it is. I would highly suggest you guys go watch it for yourselves.

=-=-=

So, got any movies you want to discuss, suggestions to make, shit you want to complain about?

I really liked Kim Jee-woon's Janghwa, Hongryeon, which is known in English as 'A Tale of Two Sisters.' It's by far my favourite horror movie. The American remake is trash, don't watch it.

The Babadook was a surprisingly effective movie despite its silly title and poster. A widowed mother is trying to reach a troubled child while working a shit job, and is steadily crumbling under stress, grief and denial. Then she finds what looks like a children's storybook but is way, way too dark to be any children's stories. From there, the character of the book seems to enter their lives - or her mind. It's psychological, open to interpretations to an extent, and pretty gripping.

Okay, Imma try and actually expand on my recommendations this time, since I'm preeeeeeeeeeeeetty sure just saying something's good isn't enough to convince people to watch it.

Okay, first rec. I'll try not to spoil too much while throwing in half assed attempts at humor along the way.

The Blob (1988): This 80's remake of the cheesy 1950's monster flick courtesy of Chuck Russel (director of the also really good A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors and, surprisingly, The Mask with Jim Carrey) centers around a fictional town in California beset by the titular acidic amorphous amoeba thingy thing that is pink as FUCK and has an insatiable appetite for pretty much everything that's made of delicious flesh and blood, most of all humans, of course, because we're just so goddamn tasty that to monsters we are to them what fucking White Castle is to Stoners.

Anyways, the Blob creeps and leaps and glides and slides across the town, through the doors and all around the sewers in its mad bid to eat as much goddamn people in a single night because there's a world record for that shit or something, while local rebel delinquent and local nice gal cheerleader try to stop its morbid mundane Monday morning feeding frenzy, eventually discovering the surprising origins of the giant killer wad of gluttonous angry bubble gum along the way...

Okay I'm gonna drop the pretentions, it's a fucking government experiment made for usage as a weapon in the Cold War, not an Alien as you'd expect if you knew dick about the original.

(It's a fuckin' 80's movie okay?)

The 1980's Blob is honestly a treat, I definitely recommend it. The acting is pretty good, the leads are likable, the effects hugely benefit from a bigger budget and the evolution of SFX over the three decades between the time this and the original were released, allowing the kills to be shown in detail and they're a joy to watch if you're not squeamish, although by today's standards they're kinda tame, mostly because it doesn't linger on the deaths TOO much, which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on who you are.

(Personally I think it's a good thing what with movies ala Saw beating you over the head with every death scene till after awhile they just blur together)

The script is simple, yet solid (unlike the titular antagonist huehuehue) AND it was definitely more gutsy than most horror flicks at the time and now, being pretty indiscriminate with who gets eaten and dissolved alive and (maybe) screaming by the ravenous murder jelly. It even slips in a little humor every now and then! Always a good thing, don't want to be TOO serious and become GRIMDARK MCGRIT.

Also in tandem with the SFX upgrade the Blob itself is given an upgrade, now it can move really fast, ambush people, sprout tentacles and hide in bodies of the deceased if the circumstances are right (Not sure if it can pull a Thing and accurately assimilate and mimic people down to their personality) It can also use its tentacles to break through steel doors and whatnot.

Oh and it ends on a (mostly) happy note, which in this day and age where every Horror film is obligated to end on a downer note, this is a fucking plus like you wouldn't believe.

Of course, it isn't a perfect movie, no movie is perfect, so Imma list some flaws so I don't come off as a total fanboy or anything.

First, why the fucking hell doesn't the Military have the means to stop The Blob on them? Did the head scientist withhold the Blob's weakness from them, making them think if they filled it with enough lead it'd die? Did the scientists just not bother to research a way to put the killer Jell-O down if it got out of hand?

Second, in spite of The Blob's "Fuck yo shit I kill whoever I want, whenever I want, BITCH" attitude, the aforementioned local nice gal cheerleader survived TWO goddamn encounters with the massacring amoeba, despite the Blob having ample time to kill her on both occasions, one in a hospital and one in a sewer, what was the Blob full? Did it feel like giving her a sporting chance? Compared to every one else in this movie that's practically Star Wars tier plot armor.

Third, the effects, good as they are, can be a little spotty at times.

Fourth, it got a sequel hook for a sequel that was never made because it failed at the box office, sadly.

Fifth, as good as the movie's cavalier approach to murdering everyone is, it DOES have a downside of killing off some characters maybe a little too quickly, I mean, they're surprising but they could still benefit from a little build up. Sort of a double edged sword I guess.

All in all I'd give it a solid 8 at the minimum.

Okay now for me to shut the fuck up about pink angry gel with an eating disorder and move onto another horror movie.

The Return of the Living Dead (1985): This 1980's horror comedy directed by Dan O'Bannon centers around three men, later accompanied by a gang of teenage punks, working at a medical supply warehouse in Louisville, Kentucky accidentally unleashing a horde of brain eating zombies onto the unsuspecting populace.

Now at first the three goofs try to cover up their blunder, but their first attempt at disposing of a zombie only leads to MORE zombies being made, because fuck you and your cremating bullshit, and this is where the punks come in since they were in the cemetery where most of the zombies rise after the infected gas from the cremated zombie come down as rain that's also infected. So like, precipitation or some shit mixed with acid rain.

From there on shit gets worse and worse from no end in sight, all from one fucking blunder because apparently someone in the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers was slackin' when they made the barrel with the STILL LIVING ZOMBIES IN IT.

(as a side note this isn't a sequel to Night of the Living Dead, although it is referred to as a cover up for an actual event caused by an experimental gas leak)

Okay first, the positives.

The Return of the Living Dead is excellent in what it does, unlike most horror comedies these days which eschew any horror in favor of lame, extremely shallow comedy, this one has both and manages a fair balance.

The characters are pretty memorable, such as, Suicide with his monologue about his way of life ("What do you think this, you think this is a fucking costume? This is a way of life!"), the grisly Tarman zombie, by now practically the mascot of the series, Frank and Freddy, the two employees who started this mess, Burt, their boss, who isn't afraid to knock a zombies block off with a bat if need be, and Ernie, Burt's friend from the mortuary across the street.

The script is good, it has a few little problems, but they're forgivable.

It has some genuinely funny bits, this one exchange in particular.

Burt: You said if we destroyed the Brain it'd stop moving!
Frank: IT WORKED IN THE MOVIE!
Burt: Well it ain't working now!
Freddy: YOU MEAN THE MOVIE LIED!?

Also the lead up to this part was hilarious, since the zombie they're trying to get rid of is a yellow, naked cadaver that was pinning Burt to the floor trying to eat his brain a minute ago, AFTER Frank opened the lock keeping the door closed and the Cadaver inside at Burt's behest.

The Zombies themselves are great, unlike most zombie flicks where you wonder how these slow eating shambling corpses could bring the World to its knees, these Zombies are damn near impossible to kill, headshots do diddly dick to them, they can run, and they're intelligent.

(The only surefire way to kill them is via cremation, which is not a good idea, or electricity, as the second movie shows, the ONLY reliable way to off the rotting bastards.)

The effects are also pretty good, most of the zombies are decaying and rotting, which is awesome.

Lastly, the opening scene is fantastic, with Frank telling Freddy about the whole story with Night of the Living Dead being a cover-up, and then taking him down to the basement to show him the bodies.

It's definitely worth checking out, if you aren't sick of zombies.

Okay, onto the less positive stuff.

First, WHY didn't the military go looking for the damn zombie canisters? Like, shipping mix up or not that's a big fucking deal!

Second, it ends on a double whammy of a downer note AND a sequel hook, with the town getting nuked and then at the end revealing that the nuke only spread the gas further, and the infected rain is pouring down onto another town which the President will be visiting soon.

Third, the effects, solid as they are mostly, can be a bit obvious at times.

Fourth, It IS a bit contrived that the canisters with the zombies in it just so HAPPEN to be in the same building the two protagonist's work at.

Fifth, and this is more a nitpick than anything, the hook for a sequel was crock since the sequel had next to nothing to do with the original, which sucks since the president in a zombie outbreak would be hilarious.

Overall I'd give it an 8.75 at the minimum.

Okay, third and last rec.

Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988): Evil Alien Klowns from outer space who drink human blood with swirly straws after encasing the humans they've caught in big cotton candy cocoons inside their big top spaceship? Holy shit what were the Chiodo Brothers on when they made this?

Okay I might as well summarize it.

Killer Klowns (yes that's clown spelled with a K you pedantic shit) from Outer Space arrive near a small fictional town in California (yes California again although unlike the Blob the filming was actually down in California, Watsonville to be exact, whereas The Blob was filmed in Abbeville, Louisiana) with the intents of harvesting the town and making them their food, while our heroes Mike and his Girlfriend Debbie, and her ex, Dave, who is a Cop, along with the help of Mike's friends, the oafish Terenzi brothers, who at the beginning of the movie were trying to get lots of money quick and pick up chicks in an ice cream truck. (They fail of course)

Honestly there's not a lot to say about this one, it's just an excuse to see evil alien Klowns terrorize a town in various ridiculous ways. Thankfully it knows this.

Good parts first.

For such a small budget, the Klowns look pretty good, same goes to the inside of their big top lair.

The performances are pretty good, everyone acts out their roles well enough.

It's a horror comedy, yes, but it's aware of how silly the premise is so it leans more towards comedy, but does have a few suspenseful scenes here and there.

It's actually funny, one highlight is the scene with the shortest Klown and the Biker gang, which ends with the Klown punching off the head of one member after he destroys the Klown's tricycle.

The characters were likable.

IT DOESN'T END ON A DOWNER NOTE!

Onto the more negative bits.

Fist, You can tell they had to re-use a lot of the props with the other "generic" Klowns at the end.

Second, It can get TOO silly depending on who you are and your tolerance for silly shit.

Third, The reveal of the Klown's weakness is a bit out of nowhere.

Fourth, John Vernon is underused, shame since his role as Mooney was entertaining.

Fifth, perhaps this is a side effect of the low budget, but it's a tad disappointing we didn't see more of the Klowns fucking up the town, I mean, sure we see a lot of it, but, at one point you hear someone on the phone mention the Klowns have taken his wife away using a balloon, I wanted to see that dammit!

All in all I'd give this one a 7 out of 10. Give it a watch, you might like it.

(Holy shit this post was a lot longer than I intended it to be)

Last edited:
I really liked Kim Jee-woon's Janghwa, Hongryeon, which is known in English as 'A Tale of Two Sisters.' It's by far my favourite horror movie. The American remake is trash, don't watch it.

If the remake is the movie I'm thinking of, I disagree. I thought it was a pretty good movie, albeit that's just my opinion.

The Babadook was a surprisingly effective movie despite its silly title and poster. A widowed mother is trying to reach a troubled child while working a shit job, and is steadily crumbling under stress, grief and denial. Then she finds what looks like a children's storybook but is way, way too dark to be any children's stories. From there, the character of the book seems to enter their lives - or her mind. It's psychological, open to interpretations to an extent, and pretty gripping.

I watched this and holy shit. Like spoilers, but this movie can be VERY, VERY uncomfortable to watch, especially if your familiar with abusive relationships, as it's one of the few movies to accurately depict a abusive parent-child relationship. Like it's a well made movie, hell, it's a great movie, it's just incredibly unpleasant to watch, to the point where I had to pause several times to cool down.

So, uh, tl;dr: Don't watch Babadook if child abuse triggers you, because that's like, he main source of the horror in this movie.

I still need to watch that.

Also have you watched Ju-On: The Grudge by any chance?

If the remake is the movie I'm thinking of, I disagree. I thought it was a pretty good movie, albeit that's just my opinion.
Can't be any worse than one missed call.

Here's an upcoming horror film that's been well-received at festivals and has a great premise.

New England, 1630. Upon threat of banishment by the church, an English farmer leaves his colonial plantation, relocating his wife and five children to a remote plot of land on the edge of an ominous forest—within which lurks an unknown evil. Strange and unsettling things begin to happen almost immediately—animals turn malevolent, crops fail, and one child disappears as another becomes seemingly possessed by an evil spirit. With suspicion and paranoia mounting, family members accuse teenage daughter Thomasin of witchcraft, charges she adamantly denies. As circumstances grow more treacherous, each family member's faith, loyalty and love become tested in shocking and unforgettable ways.

Well, I've been looking at some walkthroughs of horror games and...

well....

The most important thing within a horror game is suspense. You don't just want a ghost to leap out at you. You want many potential places a ghost can leap out, but there's only one ghost.

This keeps the player on their toes, and so makes good horror.

Another one is the usage of familiar settings. A haunted village in medieval times? Good fun.

A haunted house? an empty town? An office at night? A school that has ghosts? Much more scarier, since such places are so familiar to us. And so, we can much more easily imagine ourselves in the situation, and so is much more frightening.

Another one is the fact that you must not let the player have a clear view. The place must be dark, with no way of knowing what's happening. Keep the details more sparse.

The imagination creates the worst horrors, after all.

Well, I've been looking at some walkthroughs of horror games and...

well....

The most important thing within a horror game is suspense. You don't just want a ghost to leap out at you. You want many potential places a ghost can leap out, but there's only one ghost.

This keeps the player on their toes, and so makes good horror.

Another one is the usage of familiar settings. A haunted village in medieval times? Good fun.

A haunted house? an empty town? An office at night? A school that has ghosts? Much more scarier, since such places are so familiar to us. And so, we can much more easily imagine ourselves in the situation, and so is much more frightening.

Another one is the fact that you must not let the player have a clear view. The place must be dark, with no way of knowing what's happening. Keep the details more sparse.

The imagination creates the worst horrors, after all.

So which walkthrough of which game bring this to the forefront of your mind?

Here's an upcoming horror film that's been well-received at festivals and has a great premise.

I've yet to see that movie, is it any good?

So which walkthrough of which game bring this to the forefront of your mind?

I've yet to see that movie, is it any good?

It was good. Don't expect excessive gores or jump scares, it's all about the creepiness and tension of being a struggling, obsessively religious family in New England.

Edit: Also might want to watch with subtitles if you can.

It was good. Don't expect excessive gores or jump scares, it's all about the creepiness and tension of being a struggling, obsessively religious family in New England.

Edit: Also might want to watch with subtitles if you can.
That's hardly a problem, after all the OOOOO SPOOKY JUMP SCARE AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH BLOOD horror movies I've seen nowadays, a slow paced, tense horror film that relies on tension and suspense is a wonderful change of pace.

On that note, having things that force you to look a them, or else they would kill you, or move in sharp, jerky movements also help unnerve the player.
Really it's the weird growling noises from creatures the that creep me out.

Back