Created
Status
Complete
Watchers
Recent readers

How the war in 5 Years on Titan started
Full story
One. Two. One. Two. A female People's Liberation Army of Titan (PLAT) Tomb Guard counts the steps she has taken in her mind as she patrols the Tomb of Unknown Sailors. She stops on the 23rd step, about turns, then marches again. She has been marching from noon to evening, back and forth, for four years. Another tomb guard, a Staff Sgt, approaches from the left. Both guards meet in the center. They salute each other, then the inspection begins. The staff Sgt grabs the ceremonial Type 63 assault rifle and checks if it's appropriately maintained.

"Excellent work as always, Cpl Sya." The Staff Sgt whispers as she puts the rifle to order arms. Sya marches away to a building across from her post. After closing the metal door behind her, she lets out a relieved sigh as her stomach growls for food. She walks out of the building after changing and heads towards a restaurant a few blocks away. As she walks, Sya ponders how the dominos fell.

The city she lives in, Bei Yang, is the capital of the PRCT (the People's Republic of China on Titan). Titan was a contingency plan in case of WW3 on Earth, which developed organically into SEAL's (South East Asia League) most prized colony both economically and militarily. Their reunion started out fine, but things quickly deteriorated to the point where war seemed inevitable.

Three armored trucks drive past Sya. Curfew is happening in an hour.

The fear of going home with an empty stomach propels her forward, and it doesn't take long for her to arrive at her favorite restaurant, a small eatery that serves Shan Xi cuisine. She sits at one of many empty tables and orders a bowl of Tomato Egg Noodles.

"I'm telling you! SEAL is trying to exert control over us. First, they walk in and demand that we contribute 20% of our GDP to feed their economy. Then, they demand us to transfer the technology and facilities for water extraction to Europa. Now, they want us to cut our military and merge what they want into their armed forces," an office worker bangs the table in anger, "What's next? Send us out to Charon at gunpoint?"

"Look, I know all the actions SEAL is taking look drastic and draconian, but the fact is, SEAL is the reason we are here. If they didn't tighten their bootstraps and give us the starting infrastructure and habitable atmosphere, we wouldn't be here thriving!" His co-work shakes his hand, signaling his coworker to pipe down. The noise, unfortunately, attracts the attention of the restaurant owner, who is initially observing from afar. He joins the conversation, arguing against SEAL. Meanwhile, the television inside the restaurant displays an endless string of protests, riots, and military personnel setting up checkpoints in major cities. Sya hastily finishes her meal and dashes out of the restaurant towards her apartment, not wanting to be eventually caught up in a political debate. Upon returning home, Sya crashes onto her bed, exhausted from mental stress.

BZZZ BZZZ. The piercing buzz breaks down Sya's dream world. She lazily rolls out of bed and lands on the ground, then crawls towards her wardrobe like a worm. She turns on the TV after making herself breakfast. The separatists are denouncing SEAL for massacring 20 protesters last night. SEAL's representatives come forwards as well, blaming Titan separatists for fanning the flame which caused last night's tragedy.

Due to the violent protests last night, additional security precautions are put in place. There is another tomb guard standing guard with Sya, a Pvt name Zhou Shao. In addition, they now don urban camo uniforms and carry live ammunition. Sya, begrudgingly, replaces her prized ceremonial rifle for a QBZ - 191, an assault rifle for the reserves.

"We won't be here for long. SEAL is going to put us on checkpoint duty." Zhou sits down in front of the tomb, smoking a cigarette.

"What about this place? Also, stand up! Perform your duty, Pvt Zhou!" Sya marches over to Zhou and yanks her up by the collar. She then tosses the cigarette away.

"There is no one here to watch us. Anyways, SEAL plans to move this graveyard to the eastern sector. They have a large memorial built there; for all the sailors in SEAL and Titan. It will be guarded by their tomb guards, not us. I have friends higher up. That's what they heard."

"There will be massive upheaval if SEAL follows through on it!" Sya freezes in place, horrified.

"I know. They probably want to create a crisis to declare a national emergency, or they made a blunder." Zhou shakes her head in frustration.

Sya leans against the Tomb of Unknown Sailors, defeated, staring at buildings in the distance blankly. A tear drops, then a couple more. It didn't take long for the emotionless facade to crumble away, leaving behind a confused, scared and mentally broken young girl pounding a limestone block with her fist in agony.

"We will be rotated to garrison duty in a few days. I need you to deliver something to the Bei Yang Train Station. Our bargaining chip is there." Zhou lifts Sya up, then stuffs a blue star into Sya's hands. "A single spark kindles a large fire." The distraught way Sya shakes her head tells Zhou everything. She isn't ready.

"It's best for you to choose what to do." Zhou pats Sya on her shoulder, then walks away. Sya quickly follows behind, still making sense of what Zhou told her.

Sya would witness what Zhou predicted the next day. A SEAL combat engineering battalion approaches the graveyard. The battalion commander shakes hands with the honor guard's leader and respectfully informs her of orders from the top. Sya's commander orders all the honor guards to assemble in front of the graveyard. Sya stares blankly at the tomb as she's carried away in a truck to the southern sector of the city.

Her new job is to defend a checkpoint south of the SEAL embassy. Every day, she holds back waves of angry pro and anti-SEAL protestors from approaching the embassy. The sickening smell of CS gas and burning tires makes Sya feel nauseous. The waves of angry protesters coughing their throats out make her wince. The omnipresent fear that she will be ordered to fire on civilians keeps her up at night in a pool of cold sweat. She tries to suppress the dread by talking tough and attempting to gaslight herself into a stereotypical military policewoman with no feelings.

Fate, unfortunately, tears away her facade once again. A radical Titan infantry platoon seized control of the embassy, demanding SEAL back down. SEAL quickly surrounded the embassy with a tank company and a few dozen soldiers. Sya personally lifts the gates for the tanks to pass, thinking their presence will eventually lead to a peaceful resolution. The tanks line up on the highway in a single file and point their barrels at the embassy. The tank commander betrays Sya's trust and orders his tanks to open fire. HE shell detonates against the embassy's white granite wall one after another. Sya collapses to her knees; guilt, regret, and anger overwhelm her. A hostile takeover is beyond the horizon, and she started it by doing nothing.

The broadcast later that night confirms her fear. SEAL declares a state of emergency and martial law across the whole of Titan, then order a complete encirclement of Bei Yang by a heavy armored brigade. Titan commanders are ordered to stand down and comply with the investigation against 'potential radicals.' The streets of Bei Yang are burning. Bei Yang's police department desperately tries to maintain order as rioters break into shops and torch public buildings.

"You committing?" Zhou asks Sya through the intercom late one night.

"Yeah... I'm done being a railbird ." Sya replies lifelessly as she reconciles with reality.

"You came around just in time. They have arrived." The transmission ends.

Sya first excuses herself from her post, explaining that she needs to head to the washroom. Using this opportunity, she sneaks away from a back alley and runs south; past the burning buses, trucks and IFVs; past the military personnel gunning down violent protestors; past the SEAL search parties looking for soldiers who have gone AWOL; until finally, she reaches the station and sees the 'bargaining chips,' a full strength medium armored battalion. The sentry pulled her in for questioning, unsure of her allegiance until she showed them the blue star. The package, a USB, is delivered. The commander orders his medium armored battalion to march on the capital.

Fate chuckles at the sight of Sya's commitment. It then asks SEAL and Titan whether they will hold or hit. Both gamblers hit and bust with 22 points in their hand. The explosive blast of their failed bet can be felt across the solar system for decades to come.

Authors notes:
Hello, viewers from 5 Years on Titan. I hope you all enjoy this prelude to the Titan SEAL war. I know it looks very short (bc the word limit was 1250), but hey, good things come in small packages, and I worked my ass off to fulfill that statement.

Collision course (the other one shot I'm working on) is about 25% done, realistic space combat is hard to write.

The backstory blurb you posted on SV Discord has me thinking that the solar system was in a real powder keg situation. Watched!

Back