Chapter 8
A breeze blew through the trees, carrying with it the salty scent of the ocean. Melissa took a deep breath, hoping to enjoy the scent of the sea.

Melissa gagged, immediately.

"Something wrong?" Talith asked, moving his riding drake closer to Melissa. Talith, who had no nose, could only frown in concern.

Melissa leaned down over her horse and fought desperately not to retch, despite having just inhaled the scent of rotten fish and raw sewage.

"...Breathe through your mouth," Talith suggested, watching from astride his riding drake. "That's what Lonna always does, when we're in the city."

"...Thanks…" Melissa straightened, wiping a little spittle from her lips. "Surprised you care."

"And what's that supposed to mean?" Talith asked, monobrow dipping at the center as the Laspi furrowed his brow.

"Nothing. You just… haven't been that welcoming, since I got here. I was starting to think you hated me, or something."

Talith opened his mouth, to reply, and then paused. He turned toward the bushes, and a moment later Melissa heard why: a rustling sound.

Two dark hands shot out from the nearest bush, pushing aside the foliage to reveal a small, green cloaked figure. Lonna, returning from her mission.

"Where's your horse?" asked Talith, first.

"Those bastards at the gate charged me an entry fee for it! I wasn't paying twice, so I stabled the damn thing at the our inn, the Dancing Kraken."

Talith grunted acknowledgement, then frowned. "Where'd you get the coin?"

"Easy. I stole your coin purse." Saying this, Lonna casually reached into her cloak and pulled out a half empty bag. It was little more than a piece of burlap, tied together with some string, but the moment Talith saw it his hand shot down to his loincloth.

"Trees take you, Lonna! When did you grab that!?"

"When you were helping me onto my horse, earlier." Lonna grinned. "We'll be needing it to get inside; and to pay for the heroine's shopping trip. A new riding corset is expensive, you know."

Talith scowled, in response. "It looks light. Couldn't you have at least filled it, while you were out? And why are we paying for Melissa's clothes, anyway? Isn't it about time Mister Heroine pulled his own damn weight?"

"She doesn't have money…" Melissa interjected, scratching at the back of her head. "...I just think we should keep in practice using she and her, so we don't mess up? Also, she isn't comfortable with stealing."

"You were comfortable enough with stealing that horse," Lonna pointed out, lifting an eyebrow.

"That was different," Melissa protested, blushing faintly. "We were in clear and present danger, and we only stole from a government that was trying to kill us, anyway."

"Well, everyone's in a clear and present danger with Sorissa about," Lonna pointed out. "And I only steal from rich people, who - trust me - can afford it, anyway."

"...Even if that's all true, I'm supposed to be the Heroine, aren't I? So shouldn't I be standing up for some sort of moral code? How can I just steal, knowing that it's wrong, and that it's only for my own benefit, anyway?"

"It's for everyone's benefit that Sorissa be killed!" Lonna protested, her voice raising an octave from frustration.

"Then give them a choice," Melissa countered. "We can tell the shopkeep I'm the heroine, and let her choose whether to outfit me or…"

"Or turn you in?" Lonna asked, raising an eyebrow. "No way. I'll spend every copper cap Talith has before I put you in danger like that."

"Hey!" Talith complained, maneuvering his riding drake between Lonna and Melissa. "That's enough useless arguing. Melissa, if you want to avoid Lonna stealing, then come up with another way. Lonna, if you want to go steal anything, go steal the toll money - then it'll be stealing from the government again, and Melissa should be fine with it. Right, Melissa?"

"...That's not really the point I was trying to make, but I guess it's better… What if I traded in my current clothes, for a new outfit? I bet you guys don't have anything like sweatpants in this world - you probably don't even have elastic waistbands. Maybe that means it'll sell well?"

Lonna frowned. "I guess that could sell for a little, as a novelty. If it doesn't work, though, I'm definitely robbing the gate's coin box. In fact, I might rob it on the way out anyway. Teach them a lesson about charging me for my horse!"

Talith simply sighed, and got off his drake. Picking Lonna up in his clay hands, he deposited her on top of the riding drake, before getting up behind her.

"We can discuss it after we settle in at the inn, tonight," Talith said, lightly tapping the side of his steed with one foot. "For now, we should focus on getting into the city."

"I'm telling you," Lonna promised. "It'll be a piece of cake. They didn't have her warning poster anywhere in sight!"

Despite nodding, Melissa couldn't help the knot in her stomach, as she rode out of the forest and toward the city.

After an hour of waiting in line, Melissa underwent only a brief examination at the city gates, in which her image was compared to the various wanted posters on the wall. After that, Melissa was charged a silver helm for herself, and two copper caps for her horse, before the guards allowed her to enter the city.

"I got an inkling of this from the intact wall," Melissa began, "but… This place looks a lot better than Ife did."

The buildings were largely clean, and many were painted. People lined the streets, walking between shops and window-shopping. The buildings even had colorful signs. Most of these were adorned with pictures and words, but a few had only pictures. Melissa didn't see any with words alone.

The only thing this place had in common with the city of Ife was a stench: here, the rotten smell of fish and the taste of salt in the air, combined with the unfiltered scent of unwashed masses to create a nigh-physical force that pummeled Melissa's nostrils. She had to constantly remind herself to breathe through her mouth, and even then she could still catch an occasional whiff of it.

A major part of that stench was beneath their feet, even now: a channel had been dug into the middle of the street, with a steel grate over it. Similar channels were on every street they passed. A sewer system, of sorts? What wasn't collected by tanners, for leather, or farmers for fertilizer probably ended up in the ocean.

Lonna didn't seem to be affected by the stench - her eyes weren't watering from it, like Melissa's were. They instead studied each building they passed.

Eventually, Lonna stopped and pointed to a sign, one with a white pair of pants. There were characters underneath the sign, though Melissa had no idea what they said.

"The White Trousers," Lonna declared, as if predicting Melissa's question.

"Sounds expensive," Talith complained. "And you still haven't given me back my coin purse."

"A place like this is more likely to pay for new materials, and clothing designs," Lonna insisted. "We'll have a better chance of trading clothes for crowns here than anywhere else I've seen."

"...if you put it that way…" Talith sighed.

"I do," Lonna promised, slipping down from her the drake. Before Talith could do the same, Lonna tossed his coin purse up to him.

"Use that to stable our mounts, would you? Melissa and I can handle the rest of this on our own."

Talith fumbled with the bag of coins, having to use both of his hands to get a solid grip on the small sack. By the time he had gotten the bag secure, Lonna had already darted down the street, through the crowd, and into The White Trousers.

Talith stared at the space she had been for a moment, and then turned to glower at Melissa, who flinched back on her horse.

"What are you waiting for?" Talith grumbled, after a moment of glaring. "Get off your horse, and go after her. There's no telling what sort of trouble she'll get into on her own."

"...R-Right…" Melissa looped a bit of hair nervously between her fingers, tugging lightly to draw it taut. It still felt a little weird, having hair so long; only when she was trying to tug it, though. Honestly, the weight had grown to feel surprisingly natural.

"I… Um…" Talith was still glaring at Melissa, who had yet to dismount her horse. "Is she always like this?"

"...Like what?" Talith asked, arching his monobrow.

"Like. A twister on two legs? I mean, I guess I should have figured, when she - you know, recruited me, but… Is she always like this?"

Talith shrugged, heavy stone joints rising,and then falling, with a heavy sigh. "You get used to it."

"You… do?" Melissa asked, finally moving to get off her horse.

"Or die. But isn't it that way with everything, though?"

"...Maybe?"

Melissa sighed, feet finally hitting solid ground. She passed her reins to Talith, with a small smile, and then glanced back at the shop. "I hope I get used to her."

"Good luck with that. Better men then you have tried." Talith nudged his riding drake forward, moving through the crowd with Melissa's horse in tow.

Melissa hesitated for a moment, and then moved toward the shop.

Pushing the white painted door open, she was relieved to see nothing was on fire. Lonna was standing patiently by the wall, near the entrance.

When Melissa entered, Lonna turned to her with a bright grin. "Took you long enough. I could have robbed this place and been a whole building over by now. Didn't Talith tell you to keep an eye on me?"

"I think if you wanted to do any of that, me being here wouldn't stop you," Melissa replied, looking about the shop. It was entirely unlike the clothing stores back home - there were no rows of uniform clothes, folded together or held on hangers. Instead, there were about eight different mannequins, each in a different style of dress, with the main part of the shop's space being devoted to bolts of fabric. Probably to give customers options for what their outfit would be made of.

The shopkeep, currently slithering toward them, was a lamia. Much like the one who had accosted them in the streets of Ife, her snake half was covered in green scales. Her upper half, however, was that of a blonde woman. Despite the small smile on her face, her yellow eyes held no warmth.

"Can I help you?" she asked, stopping a few feet in front of Lonna. The way her eyes looked over Lonna's dirty, tattered green cloak, before sweeping over Melissa's obviously ill-fitted outfit, seemed to say that she thought they were beyond helping.

"We're looking for some new clothing," Lonna declared, speaking before Melissa had the chance to. "A riding corset, a few nice blouses, and a good pair of trousers. I missing anything, Melissa?"

"Um… New boots would be nice…?"

"You'll need a cobbler for the boots," the shopkeep declared, with a small smile. "But I can certainly manage the outfit - assuming you can pay up front? From what you've said, we're looking at a minimum of three crowns."

"How about you give us three crowns, and the outfit, free of charge," Lonna suggested, a grin spreading across her face. "And in return, we give you something the Countess of Koleff herself would be thrilled to wear - tell me, have you ever heard of 'sweatpants'?"

"Sweatpants?" The woman frowned, curious now. "No, I can't say I ever have - but if it's those gray slacks your friend is wearing, I can't say that I'm very…" The woman, having reached out to pluck at Melissa's sweats, paused to rub the cloth between her forefinger and thumb. Tugging it, lightly, and watching it snap back, she let out a little "Hmmm" of fascination, before walking around Melissa. "The rest of your outfit seems useless; the shirt looks like it's about ready to burst at the seams, and is stained besides. The shoes might get some vague interest from a cobbler, though… I suppose I could take them off your hands, along with the sweatpants, as a package deal - and in return, give you three golden crowns… worth of clothes, that is."

"Uh-huh. Throw in two golden crowns worth of actual money, and I'll consider it.:"

Lonna was grinning, now.

The shopkeeper, however, put a hand on her chest, and started opening and closing her mouth as if trying to catch a fly in it.

"Are you trying to rob me, madames?" she asked, glancing between Lonna and Melissa. "I have a daughter to feed. I'll give you a helm, for your time, and the clothes you asked for; no more."

"Have I mentioned the elastic waistband?" Lonna asked, despite never having heard the term before.

"Elastic…?" the lamia frowned, but reached out a hand to pluck at Melissa's waistband. When she realized how it stretched out, and snapped back, she let out a little squeal of delight - then coughed, and tried to cover her faux pas.

"Hm… Hmmm…., It's not really worth much, though, is it? I mean, perhaps we can sell it as a one off to some rich customer - after washing it thoroughly, of course - but it's not as if we can reproduce this fabric… Wherever did you get it, in any case?"

"From outside Resperan," Lonna said, interceding before Melissa could even think up an excuse. "There's a small town, on the northern coast of Auroris. They produce this stuff using a strange mix of plants and magic. It's traveled a long way, just to come to your shop - the one and only shop in Resperan that can be said to have this…"

"Oh, very well…" the lamia sighed, unable to hide a glimmer of greed in her eyes. "Three blouses, a riding corset, a pair of trousers - and one crown. It's really the best I can do, right now…"

"Two crowns, and a letter of recommendation to a good cobbler," countered Lonna, an easy smile on her lips. She was obviously at home here.

"Maybe I should go look at the clothes a bit?" Melissa suggested. "Pick out some fabric I like for the blouses while you two argue it out?"

"Oh, do whatever you like, my dear," the lamia offered with a smile. "Be sure to check out the blue cloth we keep toward the back of the shop."

"Oh, so that you can eat into my profits by saying we picked out too expensive a fabric? I'm onto your tricks," Lonna accused, with a glare. "Melissa, check out whatever you want, but do not even think about that blue cloth."

"I don't think blue's really my color, anyway, but sure," Melissa promised, moving further into the shop, amid the bolts of cloth, until she was in fact at the back of the shop. Melissa wasn't here to look at the cloth, though; she'd just wanted to get away from Lonna's haggling, before any more guilt-inducing lies came to the fore.

Despite that… since she was there, she saw no point in not looking about. The blue fabric that the shopkeep had mentioned was in fact there, a small bolt of shimmering fabric that probably cost a fortune to make anything out of. There was also a red bolt, and even a pink one. What caught Melissa's eye, however, was not a bolt of cloth at all, but a carved wooden mannequin which had been laid against the corner.

It was wearing a green dress.

The design was simple, bordering on basic. It was nothing more than a tube of green fabric, cinched at the waist, with a low v-cut neckline.

Yet, still, Melissa found herself staring at it.

"I can sell you that one cheap, if you want," came a voice, and Melissa spun to find a miniaturized version of the shopkeeper, standing behind her.

Or. No. She wasn't just smaller - she was younger, looking to be in her early twenties, and her face was subtly different: a little rounder in the cheek bones, and a little softer around the eyes, and definitively more chubby around the stomach. Perhaps the shopkeeper's daughter?

"It's ripped," the girl continued, gesturing to a tiny tear at the hem. "Mom says that we can't display anything with a rip, so I'm supposed to cut it up after making a new one… but I think that's just too sad a fate for it. Don't you?"

"I… Guess. I mean. It's pretty - and the tear's really small…"

"Right? You get it, right? Mom says dresses don't feel, and maybe she's right, but I just think it's too cruel. Dresses are made to be worn! They carry their maker's will inside them! And I made that dress, so let me tell you now - it wants to be worn. By you.

"Why don't you try it on?" the girl asked, gesturing to a small curtained off area, in the corner of the store. "Try it on, and I bet you'll never want to take it off again."

"I...I don't think I should," Melissa muttered, glancing back toward the front of the store. Melissa and the shopkeep were still arguing, from the sound of it. "I might mess up my friend's bargaining, if I end up wanting more clothes…"

"It's cheap," the girl promised. "Won't cost more than a helm. Just try it on - try it on, and if you don't like it, you don't have to buy it."

Melissa hesitated a moment, glancing toward the little covered off area. She didn't want to disappoint the girl, but honestly - should she really be putting on a dress? She was a guy, really, after all. She was trying to get back to being a guy, too. Should she really be playing dress up?

"Did I mention we have a mirror? You can see how pretty you look in it, for yourself, before making any decisions."

"A mirror…?" Melissa murmured. She hadn't seen a mirror, since coming here, actually.

"...Alright. I'll do it." If only to see what she looked like in a mirror.

The lamia grinned, in response, quickly tugging the dress off its mannequin, and shoving it at Melissa.

Melissa stared for a moment at the fabric, at the dress she'd just agreed to put on, and then walked into the changing area. The curtains closed behind her, offering some small bit of privacy.

A mirror stood in front of Melissa. It was the first reflective surface she'd come across since coming here, and part of Melissa wanted to look into it immediately.

Another part of her desperately wanted not to, though. She knew what she'd see after all: a man, in too tight clothing.

Oh, she'd probably look like a woman on the outside, thanks to the spell, but… There was no escaping what was going on inside, was there?

Melissa decided not to look into the mirror, just yet. Instead, she stripped herself of her too tight pink shirt, and her too small but suddenly valuable shoes and sweats. She left herself in her too tight bra, and boxers, not having anything else to wear.

Then she slipped on the dress.

The fabric was surprisingly soft, and cool to the touch. The dress itself was actually a surprisingly good fit, despite her large frame. A little tight, but not so much she was popping out of it. She thought it settled nicely on her.

Of course, with the dress going on so smoothly, there was no longer anything to keep Melissa from what she dreaded most. In fact, she had more reason than ever to look into the mirror.

She didn't want to.

She had to.

Taking a deep breath, Melissa closed her eyes, and turned toward her reflection. Then, slowly, she cracked open her eyelids to get her first peek at her new form.

A woman stared back at her. Muscular, tall, but undeniably feminine, with round cheeks and soft brown eyes; wearing a green dress that hugged her figure, with tight green sleeves that did nothing to hide her musculature.

Staring at her reflection, Melissa didn't see one hint of the man she'd always assumed herself to be.

Unsure how to process this, unsure what to make of this, Melissa took one step back, and then a second, before turning and fleeing from both the curtained area, and the lamia who'd cajoled her into entering it.

"Lonna!?" she called, heading back to the front of the store. "Lonna, we need to get out of here. Make whatever deal, or grab whatever coin purse you want, we just have to get out of… here…"

Standing at the front of the store were three heavily armored men, each of them wearing a sword at their side. Emblazoned on the front of their maille was what looked to be a silver squid, on a blue field - azure, a kraken argent.

One of the guards had taken Lonna by the arms, and was forcefully holding her still, while she glowered.

The other two were advancing toward Melissa.

"Don't resist," suggested the one still holding Lonna. "We have orders to bring you in alive, but we'll still hurt you if you resist."

"Lonna?" Melissa called, nervously, as one of the guards took her by the wrists.

"Just do what they say," Lonna said, her whispered voice holding barely contained rage. "They've already got Talith, or I'd have burned them to the ground already."

"Hmph. You'd be welcome to try," said the guard holding Lonna, with a small smile. "But never fear: we mean you no harm, your Highness. In fact, you can consider this a formal invitation: the Countess of Koleff wishes to see the Princess Lonna."

Melissa's head twisted about to Lonna, her mouth opening and closing. She had so much she wanted to say, and there was so much she didn't understand, but one thing obviously demanded more attention than the rest.

"Lonna… Why did he call you a princess?"

Chapter 9
Hood thrown back to show her face, dark skin and red hair on proud display, Lonna stomped her way out of the clothing shop and into the streets.

Behind her walked a confused Melissa driven forward by three armed men and one brown furred rabbit Sapphi, who'd apparently been keeping watch out front. The silver krakens on blue indicated their fealty to the countess of Koleff. That, combined with the quality of their plate, said they probably served the countess's manor directly rather than the city as a whole. It was likely they had each had detailed pedigrees, dating back through generations of service - and knights sworn to them, who they'd bring to Koleff's defense in war.

Their blood would run red as any others', though, if anyone dared touch so much as a clod of Talith's clay.

"Lonna?" Melissa called out to her, voice hesitant, eyes wide. "Why did he call you a princess?" The same question Melissa had asked in the store.

As before, Lonna chose to ignore it.

The people around her were less inclined to do so. Already, Lonna could hear the whispers spreading through the populace. Snippets of conversation, including "Princess Lonna?" and "The runaway?"

It made her grind her teeth near to dust.

At least they were all smart enough to get out of her way. In fact, they were all but rushing to clear the streets, pressing themselves up against the store fronts so that Lonna could stomp forward.

Mere seconds after Lonna passed by an area, the cityfolk would slam into the space she'd occupied, and begin to whisper among themselves. As such, Melissa and the guards had little choice but to follow closely in Lonna's wake.

Not that Lonna actually knew where she was going. She'd never actually visited the countess's manor, as a princess - or if she had, she must have been too young to remember it. Sorissa had marched her out of the castle, occasionally, if only for carefully curated events.

The rest of the time she'd been kept behind walls, so that she wouldn't learn of Sorissa's villainy.

Not that she could tell Melissa that. It wasn't as if Melissa would understand, or even care. All she'd hear was that Lonna was Sorissa's daughter. That she was Sorissa's heir. Just like everyone else did.

There were only three people who'd ever accepted her for herself: her dead mother, her captive brother, and…

Well, Vellos was probably fine, but still.

"Lonna?" Melissa repeated, yet again. "Please. I can't understand if you don't talk to me."

"There's nothing to understand," Lonna replied, finally turning to glare at Melissa. For some reason, Melissa's tall and muscular visage looked blurry to Lonna. She blinked her eyes, a few times, and things seemed to clear.

"There's nothing to understand," Lonna repeated. "I'm the princess. The queen's daughter. The rightful heir. It's just like you heard. I'm the runaway princess! The tree-forsaken daughter of a dragon and the tyrant queen, the epitome of all that is wicked and rotten in this world! Everything you, the heroine, are meant to destroy - all right here, in one tiny little package! Maybe after you take on Sorissa, you can have me for your damn dessert!"

Lonna wasn't sure when her feet had started moving. She only knew that she was now standing directly in front of Melissa, glaring up at the heroine. Her vision was blurry again, for some reason, and her cheeks were wet.

"Lonna… You're crying?"

Lonna looked up at the heroine, mouth opening and closing, unable to respond with grace. After a moment, she snapped her jaw shut, wiped the tears from her eyes, and turned to glare at the guards.

"Well!? You were ordered to take me to the countess, weren't you? Do so!"

The four guards exchanged glances. Only one stepped forward; the lapine Sapphi. She bowed her head to Lonna, briefly, and led the way forward.

Lonna followed, a silent Melissa in tow.

Melissa stood, shifting nervously from foot to foot, in front of a large desk.

On the desk was a small, polished, wooden box, a sheaf of papers, a writing quill, and an inkwell.

Sitting behind the desk was a woman. Her short blonde hair was cut right at the nape of her neck; she had deep green eyes. A sword, hilted with a large squid with tentacles for quillons, was sheathed and belted to her waist. Her eyes shifted continuously between Lonna and Melissa, studying them with the intensity of a bird of prey eyeing its dinner.

Lonna, meanwhile, was staring not at the sitting countess, but at the brunette maid standing behind her. Melissa wasn't sure if it was some sort of power play, or what, but the maid was clearly nervous from the attention. She kept fidgeting and the smile on her face was under growing strain.

"If you have something to say to my maid," the countess declared at last, "perhaps you'd like to discuss it aloud? That way we can all be privy to the conversation." The woman smiled sweetly as she spoke, but her gaze was hard.

"I have nothing to say to her," Lonna replied, finally shifting her gaze to the noblewoman before her.

There was a squeak from the maid, at that, which caused the countess to lift an eyebrow. "I admit that when Tabitha said she knew the runaway princess, I had my doubts. And when she insisted you'd definitely be the one accompanying our 'heroine…' Well. I'm ashamed to say I might have questioned her sanity."

The countess chuckled, faintly, to herself. "I'll have to make it up to her, later."

"I'm sure you will." Lonna scowled as she spoke, her gaze still almost boring a hole through Tabitha.

"Of course, I assume you do have proof that you're the true princess?" The countess lifted an eyebrow as she spoke.

"Why should I prove anything to you?" Lonna demanded, turning her glower to the countess. "I'm not doing a tree-forsaken thing until I know my brother is safe."

"Your brother. The Lapsi, you mean?" The countess frowned for a moment, then shook her head. "He is well and good, I assure you; you will be free to join him shortly. But first, I really must insist that you prove yourself to me.

"Otherwise, I fear I will have no choice but to dispose of the seditious heroine, and the imposter princess. I will promise not to hurt the Lapsi, though, if it'll make you more cooperative. He's of no use or worth to me, regardless."

Lonna glared at the countess for a moment longer. Then, slowly, she reached a hand up to her head, and undid the twine from one of her hair buns.

Beneath the frizzy red hair was a small horn - a small, brown protrusion, smooth at the base but broken and jagged at the tip.

"Satisfied?" Lonna snapped, quickly tying her hair back into a bun.

"...A dragon's antlers are usually gold. Yet yours are as dark as a dryad's tree. You truly are the child of those monsters, aren't you?" The countess smiled as she spoke, but it didn't reach her stony green eyes, and her voice was cold enough to send chills down Melissa's spine.

Which made it all the more shocking when the countess stood, and bowed stiffly to the waist.

"I am Liliath, the countess of Koleff. Loyal servant to the queendom of Resperan." Straightening with those words, she turned her cold gaze to Melissa. "Now tell me: what in the world are you doing with the heroine?"

"...Sorissa always told me, as a child, that she'd be with me until the heroine herself took her away from me. So I summoned the heroine to do just that." Lonna jutted her chin out as she spoke, as if daring the countess to speak against her.

Liliath smiled in response, eyes still lingering on Melissa even as she spoke to Lonna. "A loyal subject would bring you to your mother and have your royal behind spanked for such comments about our queen. After seeing to the heroine's death, that is."

Melissa swallowed, hard.

Lonna glared at the countess. "Are you a loyal subject, then?"

"I am loyal to the queendom of Resperan," Liliath responded, smoothly. "Long has it stood, and long may it stand yet."

"And the queen who rules Resperan?" Lonna pressed, placing her hands on the desk and leaning forward.

Liliath glanced at the small hands on her desk, and smiled faintly. "The queen's word is meant to represent the queendom."

"You know it doesn't…" Lonna snarled back. "Unless you think it was the will of the kingdom for your brother to die?"

Liliath's hand darted to her sword, a clear threat. Smoke was curling from Lonna's lips.

"May I say something?" Melissa asked, voice soft, and a little scared, but trying to keep firm.

"No." Lonna's eyes snapped to Melissa with that word.

The countess, however, took a step back from the desk and removed her hand from her sword.

"Speak," Liliath commanded. "I would hear what the heroine has to say before condemning her to death."

"...I'm no heroine…" Melissa said, voice quiet. She kept her eyes on the table, not looking at either woman, but she could imagine their reactions: Liliath, eyes wide, staring. Lonna, glaring with all her might.

"I'm really not the heroine," Melissa repeated. "I'm not… I'm not even really a girl. My real name's... I mean… I was born male, and. I just…"

Melissa sighed.

"I got summoned into this world, in this body. So. I went along with it? I asked everyone to call me Melissa, made them all use she and her pronouns. Played at the idea that I could actually rescue people… But I'm not the heroine.

"I'm not even a girl. I'm just… I'm just a guy, trying to get home. I'm only even trying to defeat Sorissa, so I can use her library to find a spell that'll take me back. And give me my proper body.

"I just…" Taking a deep breath, Melissa finally lifted her eyes to meet Liliath's steely gaze. "I'm just a guy. Not the heroine."

"Why would you reveal this to me?" Liliath asked, voice soft, gaze hard.

"Because if I'm honest about this… Maybe you'll believe I'm being honest about something else: That from what I've seen, the queen isn't representing this land at all. From what I've seen, the queendom would be better off without her. From what I've seen… I think you all could do better."

"I see…" Liliath murmured, a dark chuckle rising from her throat. "Tell me, my self-proclaimed good man. What does it feel like, being in that body? Compared to your old one, I mean."

"It's… Lighter?" Melissa offered, blinking in confusion. "I mean, I'm a lot stronger, so. Everything feels… lighter. And smoother. And soft, and nice? Like… Like it's… I don't know. Like it's right. Even though it isn't."

"I see," the countess repeated, a small smile on her features. "Guards!"

The moment she called, the door opened, revealing the rabbit Sapphi that had guarded them earlier.

The countess smiled, sweetly. "Please, take the heroine to her guest chambers. And get her properly dressed.

"We'll be dining together, tonight. Tell me, Melissa. Have you ever had goose?"

"I… I don't think so…" Melissa admitted, a little confused.

"Then let tonight be the first time. Now, if you'd please go with my bannerlords? I have a few things to discuss with my Princess."

Melissa shot Lonna a look, but her companion's eyes were only for the countess.

After a moment of uncertainty, Melissa nodded her head, and then headed out with the Sapphi guard.

Lonna stared into the countess's eyes, full of resentment. Resentment over Talith. Resentment over Melissa's refusal to accept the role of heroine.

Resentment that the tree-forsaken countess was still standing, too. Lonna's neck was aching and stiff, raised towards a woman who towered over her. Not that she ever let that stop her when it came to Melissa or Talith. She'd let the trees take her before she let go of a staring match against someone only a hand and two fingers taller than she was!

"You seem to be taking this as a personal grudge…" Liliath murmured, shaking her head, breaking eye contact. She dropped back down in her chair.

"Tabitha. Bring Lonna a chair, would you?"

Tabitha bowed, and scurried out of the room, leaving the two women staring at each other once more.

Once again, it was the countess who broke the silence.

"If the queen of Resperan falls, the queendom will fall into the same chaos as the rest of Auroris. What are your plans to prevent that?"

"E-Excuse me?" Lonna demanded, taken aback by the sudden line of questioning. "I… The people will-"

"Without a proper line of succession, the queendom will fall to infighting among nobles. From there, it's only a matter of time before the outlaws outside our border try and worm their way in for a slice of the apple.

"Sorissa has made the border towns dependent on the warm bodies she provides - loyal to her, and no one else. They keep the chaos at bay for her alone. Who will they listen to when Sorissa is gone? Who can keep them untied?"

"I… I don't know…" Lonna whispered, finally looking away from the countess. "I don't know."

"Even Sorissa is better than chaos," Liliath declared, her voice flat and hard as steel. "But there is a third option."

"A… What?" Lonna asked, attention now raptly focused on the countess.

"Despite being known as the runaway princess, you are still Sorissa's one and only heir. The only child born of a handfasting between the dragon and the false queen."

"The dragon princess had no more right to rule than Sorissa, though," Lonna pointed out.

"Does any queen? Sorissa founded her rule on Arasitelle's right to all of Auroris. It was Arasitelle who officially annexed Resperan, and gave it to Sorissa, for all that she had already conquered it herself.

"You are their child. You are their heir. A decision Sorissa has not, to this day, undone. Every house that is pledged to Sorissa will lawfully and rightfully pass to you. By laws Sorissa legislated.

"Which means those who respect her law will in turn respect your claim. Not that you won't have to work to keep it, of course - we'll have a lot of work ahead of us, even after Sorissa's gone, if we want to keep ahead of things."

"But…" Lonna felt like she'd dunked her head into a stream and came up dry. Nothing was making sense. "The people. The people will never accept me! Not after everything Sorissa's done!"

"No?" Liliath chuckled. "But they will accept the heroine."

Lonna's eyes widened in shock. "The… The heroine?"

"The one who deposed Sorissa. If she were to wed you, and the two of you ruled together as Queen and Princess-Consort, then the people and the nobles both would bend a knee."

"Melissa would never agree to that," Lonna protested. "She wants to go back home. She doesn't even believe she's the heroine. She…"

Lonna sighed, looking down at the floor. "She isn't even a girl."

"Yet you still call her one in your head, do you not?" Liliath asked.

"She just asked me to use she and her, so…" Lonna frowned, uncertain. "I mean, you can be one thing and call yourself another, I do that all the time, so…"

"...As you say, dear."

Liliath was still smirking when the door opened, and Tabith came in carrying a cushioned chair. She deposited it quickly behind Lonna, and attempted to scurry back to her position behind Liliath, only for Liliath to raise her hand.

"Take Lonna to her bedroom, would you dear? Her brother is waiting there. I'm sure they'll want to be reunited, while I have my dinner with Melissa."

"...Yes, my Countess," Tabitha said, tugging her skirts up. "If you'll follow me please."

Without so much as meeting Lonna's gaze, she walked toward the hallway.

Lonna spared the countess a frown, but quickly followed after Tabitha, catching up just in time to catch her as she turned down a hallway.

"What are you trying to do?" Lonna complained. "Get me lost in here?"

"I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem if you got lost, Princess," Tabitha responded, her voice pitched low enough that no maids they passed might hear them. "You'd simply have to find another servant to guide you."

"Well, maybe I don't want another servant to guide me," Lonna declared, picking up her pace to try and keep up with Tabitha's longer stride. "Maybe I want to have a little conversation with this maid."

"And what conversation would that be?" Tabitha asked, voice dripping with all the sweetness of poisoned honey.

"Oh, you know. About how the guards knew I'd be with the heroine? Because it's funny - back in Ife, Melissa's poster didn't mention me."

Lonna picked up her pace until she was side by side with the maid. "You're the only outsider I told about my plans to, Tabitha. The only one I kept in contact with after leaving for Ife."

"I…" Tabitha's footsteps faltered, though only for a moment. "Fine, it was me. Is that what you wish to hear? The countess has been… The countess has been very kind to me, offering me a job here despite my inexperience... and I saw a chance to prove myself."

"You saw a chance to prove yourself?" Lonna's voice broke a little, mid sentence, drawing the gaze of an errant blonde maid as Lonna and Tabitha walked through the hallway. "After everything we went through? I thought we had something-"

"Shhhhhhhh!" whispered Tabitha, desperately, gesturing with her hands for Lonna to lower her voice. "You know how maids talk…"

"...Are you ashamed of me?" Lonna demanded.

Tabitha came to a dead stop, before turning around with a quizzical expression on her face.

"Well. Yes. I thought that was obvious. I mean, Lonna - you're the runaway dragon princess. Who wouldn't be ashamed of having slept with you?"

Lonna stared into Tabitha's eyes for a long moment.

Everything made sense again. Everything was exactly the way she'd always expected it to be.

"...Your room's here," Tabitha said, pushing the door open.

Lonna nodded, without a word, and walked right in.

Is it bad that I want to hug my own character over something I wrote?

With this, Lonna's full heritage is on the table. Her (unofficial) species designation is 'dragon fruit.'

Last edited:
Chapter 10
Melissa walked behind her guard in silence, largely staring at the ground as the dark furred rabbit guided her down a series of hallways. The guard, who looked menacing with a spear in their hands, eventually came to a stop in front of an unadorned wooden door. It was when the guard reached for the doorknob that Melissa noticed something that had escaped notice thus far.

"You have thumbs."

The rabbit glanced back at Melissa, and tilted their head to the side. "Why wouldn't I have thumbs?"

Despite the lupine looks, the rabbit's voice came out as smoothly as any human's, and with a definitively feminine ring.

"Are you… A girl?"

The rabbit gave a small nod. "Yup yup. I'm Joanie. Nice to meet you, heroine."

"It's… Melissa. Actually." Melissa rubbed the back of her head as she spoke, but Joanie only gestured to the open door.

"You're supposed to wait in there, Miss Melissa."

"Until dinner?" Melissa asked, voice trembling from nerves. "By myself? Why are they separating me from my friends?"

"Wouldn't know. Guess the countess has taken a special interest in you." Joanie shrugged as she spoke, then gestured toward the doorway again.

"The room won't eat you, or anything," Joanie promised. "Bed looks pretty comfortable."

"Will you… be guarding the door?" Melissa asked. She had the vague thought that maybe she could go looking for Lonna and Talith.

That was dashed when Joanie nodded her head. "I'll keep you safe, yup yup. Me and Lucinda." She thumped the butt of her spear as she spoke, drawing Melissa's attention back to the weapon.

"Is your weapon… Named Lucinda?" Melissa asked, a little taken aback. "Is it a sentient weapon, or something?"

"...Nope nope. Just a six foot redwood shaft and an iron point. You'll find fifty like her in the armory - none half as pretty."

So far, it had been difficult to read Joanie's emotions; her head mimicked that of an oversized rabbit, after all. When she spoke of her spear, though, her blue eyes seemed to sparkle, and her voice was filled with affection.

"You. Must really like her. To have named her and all."

Joanie eyed Melissa for a moment. She looked strangely wary. "Wait inside. Countess Koleff might get mad, otherwise."

"Mad that you're talking to me? Or mad that I'm not in my room?"

The rabbit shifted uneasily, looking up and down the hallway. "The countess likes things just so. Said you wait in the room, while I guard the door."

Melissa frowned for a moment, then walked past the threshold of the door and turned back around. "So. What if we do it like this? With the door open? That way we could talk while we wait."

"..." Joanie hesitated for a moment, clearly torn. Then, slowly, she shook her head back and forth. "Nope nope. Sorry Miss Melissa. You're interesting, but if I'm following the countess's orders to the letter, door definitely has to be closed."

"But-"

Joanie didn't wait for Melissa to finish her sentence, but instead slammed the door shut on Melissa, who stared blankly at the wooden surface for a moment.

"...Miss Melissa, huh?" she whispered to herself after a moment. "Maybe I should have told her the truth, too…"

Sighing, Melissa turned to look about the room that she was effectively trapped in. There was a large mattress, on a frame with four wooden posts. Each post was carved to resemble a large squid, with the curved pointed head being the top of the post, and the tentacles clinging to the length of the wood. When Melissa pressed a hand down on the bed, she found it remarkably soft. She was sure if she laid her head down on it, she would be asleep in no time.

Melissa hadn't even realized it, before, but the meeting with the countess had left her exceptionally tired. The idea of putting her head down on the bed and sleeping was incredibly tempting.

Instead, she took another look around the room, looking for something to distract herself with until dinner. Being in a strange house, locked away from the only people in this world she knew… it didn't seem like the proper time to sleep.

The only other things in the room, however, were a writing desk, a floor length mirror, and a window - not quite large enough to fit through - currently letting in the light of a late day sun. She peered out of it for a moment, looking over carefully trimmed hedges, before turning her attention to the mirror.

It was the second time Melissa had seen her reflection since coming to this world.

She looked fairly similar to the wanted poster. Not exactly right: her eyes had been a little closer together in the poster, and her nose had been a touch too big. Still, the artwork had done a good job capturing the softness of her face, the roundness of her cheeks.

It hadn't captured her long eyelashes, or the vibrant green of her eyes, of course. No more than it had captured the fullness of her lips.

Melissa reached up to touch a finger to her cheeks, feeling the soft smooth skin. The mirror image of her did the same.

Melissa reached out toward the mirror, next, fingers touching the cool glass. The image in the mirror reached out as well.

"It really is me…" Melissa whispered. "I look like… Like a girl…"

A half-forgotten memory stirred, as Melissa looked at herself in the mirror. It had been Halloween. She'd wanted to go as a cheerleader. Some of the more popular kids in school had gone in drag the previous Halloween, and it had been a big hit.

Her mom said they'd only pulled it off because they were popular. That Melissa would just get beaten up if she tried, and had outright refused to buy the costume.

Which was why Melissa had saved up her allowance so that she could buy the costume herself.

It had taken months. She'd been… What? Thirteen? And the allowance she'd gotten for her chores had only been about five dollars a week.

She'd managed it, though. She's gotten the costume. Put it on as a test. Stood in front of the mirror.

She had known she'd look funny. A guy, with a few stray hairs on his chin and a lot on his legs, dressed in a too tight skirt and a too small top, wearing a badly made blonde wig.

She'd expected to look ridiculous.

What she hadn't expected was for it to hurt. Looking into the mirror, and seeing a man in woman's clothing.

She'd just broken down crying, on the floor. Where she stayed until her mother found her.

Her mother confiscated the costume. Said that she wouldn't see her son bullied or beaten up.

Melissa hadn't argued.

She'd never put on feminine clothes again.

This was just another costume. Just a really good costume. One that would come off, when this adventure ended. One that she'd never get to put on again.

A tear slipped down Melissa's cheek; then another. She didn't know why she was crying. She'd known all along that this would one day come to an end. She was going to transform back, go back home, and put this entire crazy adventure to an end. She was going to watch television, and read books, and know better than to dream of a fantasy land.

She was going to go back to how things used to be.

Why was she crying?

Melissa didn't understand. She couldn't comprehend where all these tears were coming from. Did she want to stay so badly? Did she want to live in a fantasy world, in a fantasy body, nursing this fantasy? Of being the heroine, being a girl?

Being Melissa?

Unsure of the answers, Melissa wiped away her tears.

She was still wearing the green dress, with the tiny little tear. She had barely even processed, until now, that she was wearing feminine clothing again. The realization only drove her deeper into confusion, though, and soon she was forced to wipe her tears away all over again.

Eventually, she stopped crying. She wasn't sure how much time had passed. The sun was a lot further down, though, and the room had started to darken. It would probably be dinner, soon.

As if on cue, the door to the bedroom opened. On the other side was Joanie. With her was a familiar figure: a slightly chubby lamia, with blonde hair and blue eyes. The shopkeeper's daughter.

Melissa stared at her for a moment, completely nonplussed to be meeting her again, in the countess's mansion. "What… What are you doing here?"

The lamia, meanwhile, slithered into the room as if it was the most natural thing in the world to be here. She was holding something in her hands: a white piece of cloth, marked with symbols and lines. Melissa wasn't sure what it was for, and she took an uncertain step back from the girl.

The lamia only tilted her head to the side, though, as if confused. "What do you mean what am I doing here? I'm here to take your measurements, so mom can try and get through that emergency order on your wardrobe."

"Emergency order…?" Melissa asked, numbly.

The lamia nodded, firmly. "Yeah. Ten pairs of trousers, ten blouses, three dresses, and a riding corset? In two days? Mom nearly screamed. She's going to have to get outside help, even with me casting spells…" There was obvious worry on the lamia's face but when she saw Melissa noticing, she put on a broad smile.

"I'm Clattara, by the way. It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Heroine." Saying so, she gripped the white strip of fabric she'd been holding between both hands, and pulled it taut. Between what she'd said, and the markings…

"Is that a measuring tape?" Melissa guessed.

"Uh-hm. Like I said, I can't do a thing until we have your measurements and we never got around to that during your last visit. Mom's busy readying the fabric and getting people to help, so she had to send me." There was an easy grin on Clattara's face as she slithered toward Melissa. "Put your arms out, please."

Melissa glanced at Joanie, her guard.

Joanie shrugged, and closed the door.

"Arms please!" Clatarra repeated, more firmly. "If I'm going to pull an all nighter on your clothes, the least you can do is make the measuring easy."

"S-Sorry…" Melissa muttered, spreading out her arms.

Clattara calmly began to take Melissa's measurements, humming faintly under her breath as she did so. She measured Melissa's chest, waist, hips, and more, each time whispering the number out loud before continuing to the next. She did not, however, write a single measurement down.

"Are you going to be able to remember all this?" Melissa asked, frowning. She didn't want to imagine how the clothes might misfit if the girl forgot anything.

"Don't insult my memory," Clattara scoffed. "Now. Off with the dress, if you'd please."

"W-What?" Melissa shying away from the girl.

"What? I need to get a measurement on your bust for the riding corset. Don't tell me you're shy about that sort of thing?"

"Yeah… A little…" Melisa admitted, wrapping a little bit of hair around her finger and tugging softly.

"Seriously?" the girl shook her head, then pursed her lips. "Tell you what - I don't have time to argue with your modesty right now, so if you're a good girl and do everything I say I'll give you a handy little spell to get rid of that voyeur curse on your friend."

"Voyeur… Curse?" Melissa asked, frowning faintly. "What are you talking about?"

"You know, the spying spell someone slapped on the princess! You couldn't feel that?" Clattara frowned. "Felt like spiders crawling up my spine."

"I… I didn't think there was such a thing as spying spells, though?" Lonna had said there weren't any, at least.

Clattara just shrugged, though. "Believe me or don't. I mean, considering which of the two of us comes from a Root with sight-based magic, I know which of us I'd bet the ox on, but. Up to you."

Melissa frowned for a moment, before reaching down and pulling her dress over her head. That left her in only a pair of boxers and a too small bra.

"You'll need to take the breastband off, too," Clattara insisted.

"...Fine." Melissa knew she was being stubborn. She'd allowed Lonna to see her naked, just a few days prior.

Lonna had known Melissa to be a guy, though. Clatarra was looking at her entirely as a girl. It made Melissa feel both guilty, and entirely too self conscious.

The measurements went quickly from there, though, with Clattara thankfully remaining professional throughout. Before long, the bra was back in place - with Clattara's help - and the dress went back on after.

"That's everything I need," Clattara declared, before slithering toward the writing desk.

Pulling open a drawer, she pulled out a quill, an inkwell, and a piece of parchment. Moving with swift assuredness, Clattara drew a series of symbols, before bisecting them with a circle.

"Just have your friend Breathe through that," Clattara told her. "I don't know how the spell is anchored to her, so this is just a one day shielding spell. Should make it impossible for the spell to connect, as long as she casts it daily!"

"Thanks," Melissa said, reverently taking the paper in her hands.

"Don't lose it!" Clattara commanded, moving toward the door. "It'll be worth a lot, once I'm a famous magic user! One of Clattara's originals!" She pulled open the door, then turned and waved goodbye, before sliding out.

Melissa waved goodbye herself, and then turned to stare at the paper. She didn't have pockets anymore, so after a moment's hesitation she folded up the parchment and tucked it into her cleavage.

Then she sat on the bed, wondering how much time was left before dinner.

She didn't have long to wait.

Last edited:
Oof the second hand dysphoria in this chapter huuuurts.

Personally, I'm torn between "Yes, good, I wrote it right" and "*Bawling my eyes out*" >,> I'm tempted to release the next chapter early, in fact - it's meant to act as a balm after chapters 9 and 10, and it's really much better to read both together.

Chapter 11
Warning: This chapter includes allusions to suicide.

(As a side note, this is the second chapter I'm releasing today. Chapter 10 is sort of... Oof? And I feel like chapter 11 acts as a bit of a balm, even while adding another layer to said "Oof.")

Sitting in the massive dining room, at the upper right hand side of a very long dining table, Melissa couldn't help but feel out of place. From the four different forks, to the sommelier in black and white currently pouring her a cup of wine, everything about this dinner felt too rich for her blood.

It didn't help that the dining table, large enough to fit twenty, had only two chairs: one for Melissa, who was sitting dead still from nerves, and the other for the dark skinned countess, who sat with a faint smile on her lips.

Once the servant was done pouring, he bowed his head stiffly to Melissa, bowed at the waist to the countess, and then left the room. Melissa was now alone with the countess.

Liliath, for her part, took a small sip of her wine, before picking up one of her forks and a knife, and cutting into the bounty on her plate: goose breast and asparagus, with a white sauce, on a bed of aromatic white rice.

After reciting one prayer for grains and another for miscellaneous foods, Melissa did her best to pick the fork that matched Liliath's. She was fairly sure she'd messed it up, but the countess didn't so much as raise an eyebrow. She only took the food to her lips, chewed, and swallowed, before moving for the next bite.

Compared to the quiet grace with which the countess ate, Melissa couldn't help but feel her own attempts at cutting into the bird were clumsy. Liliath had cut into it without a sound, but Melissa's knife clacked jarringly every time it hit the plate. By the time Melissa got her first bite done, the countess was on her third.

Still, Liliath waited until Melissa had finished her first bite before speaking.

"I hope that you're enjoying dinner, Melissa. I understand that soirees like this aren't always comfortable, for those unused to them. That's most of why I had the servants leave. I had hoped that you would relax with no one watching."

"Thank you, uh -" she suddenly realized she had blanked on the term of address.Which the Countess seemed to sense. "Lady Liliath will do," she said, chuckling.Melissa sighed. "Thank you, Lady Liliath. But I'd like a lot better if Lonna and Talith were here."

"Is that so?" the countess smiled, faintly. "You seem quite attached to Lonna. You said something about being summoned? Does that mean you came from another world?"

"I… I guess so…" Melissa admitted, staring down at her goose breast. "I'm from a place called Earth?"

"You will have to be more specific," Liliath said, smiling, taking another bite of her own meal. "Earth is a common name for a world. But perhaps you will tell me about it one day. Though we have more pressing matters to discuss, first…"

"We do?" Melissa asked, confused. "I'm. I mean, I don't really get why you even wanted to have dinner with me. I'm not a princess, like I guess Lonna is? And I'm not really the heroine, so…"

"Tell me, Melissa: do you know how I came to know Sorissa?"

"Um… no?" Melissa frowned, uncertain how to process the change in subject.

"I was thirteen. The runaway princess had yet to run away, and the Queen was discussing with my parents an event where she would come to visit.

"I was… Very different back then," Liliath smiled, faintly. "Unkempt. Wild. My hair a shaggy mess, because I'd refused to let anyone cut it. My trousers constantly torn, and myself often muddied and dirtied. The result of getting a little too rough with my sword training."

The countess stopped talking, for a moment, to cut another bite sized piece of goose, and bring it to her mouth. After chewing, and swallowing, she continued.

"I was born to a commoner. My father loved her dearly. Enough to hold a quiet bonding ceremony - do you know what a bonding ceremony is, Melissa?"

Melissa shook her head.

"It's a religious ceremony. A pledging of love. Quite unlike the political handfastings we nobles use, when merging bloodlines through our heirs.

"Being born of a bonding ceremony, instead of a handfasting, means being born outside the noble line. I was well taken care of, given anything I desired - but I had no status. My blood was seen to be as common as my mother's. Only my father's love kept us in the house. When he died, it was likely that we would have been shown out to the streets."

Liliath took another bite of goose, chewing slowly.

Melissa leaned forward, her own dinner forgotten. "What changed?"

"...I was chasing after a particularly fascinating insect, in the gardens, when Sorissa called out to me. I had no idea who she was, but her fancy dress made clear to me that she was important. So of course, not wanting to be punished, I came when she called."

"And she… Made you a countess?" Melissa asked, frowning.

"In a way. I'm wataba, you see. Sorissa was the first person to see it."

"Wataba?" Melissa asked, lips pulling into a puzzled frown.

"I was born into the wrong body. Born masculine." The countess took another sip of wine, as Melissa stared.

"I was raised as a boy," the countess continued, "and to Sorissa, it was plain as day that my form was wrong. As such, she offered to design a spell for me, that would give me whatever form I desired. I accepted - and was transformed."

"And… You've been transformed ever since?" Melissa suggested.

"I've been myself, ever since," the countess corrected, a small smile on her face. "Sorissa was right - I am wataba: an individual born in the wrong body."

"You're transgender?" Melissa knew the word, and the concept, even if she'd never actually met a trans person before. Wataba sounded like a similar, if more restrictive, concept.

"Is that the word for it, where you're from?" Liliath asked. "Apt." A small smile touched her lips, for a moment, before dropping off.

"Of course, Sorissa wasn't done. She asked me next if it would be okay to talk to my family. To reintroduce me, as their daughter. I hadn't even picked out a new name, yet - but Sorissa insisted that it be done while she was present."

The countess cut into her goose breast, again, but this time did not lift the poultry to her lips.

"...She took me in front of my family. I still didn't know who Sorissa was. I didn't know why my family was bowing. I only knew I was scared. Terrified of how my family would react to the new me. But when Sorissa told them that I was wataba, my commoner mother, my count father, and even his handfasted wife, who'd so far never bothered with me - they all bowed their heads as one.

"So did my half brother. But he sniggered."

Liliana lifted the bite of goose shed precut to her mouth, chewing methodically. Swallowing.

"Is that… Is that when she killed him?" Melissa asked, softly.

"She melted his head clean off his neck."

Melissa dropped her fork, as the Countess took a forkful of rice.

"Then she turned to my family and ordered my father adopt me into the noble line. She said that they had all best get used to the future countess, or that she would be back for them as well. And simply walked out the door."

The countess reached for her wine glass, emptying it in one long sip.

"...I heard you've hated Sorissa ever since. Is that true?" Melissa asked.

"Hate isn't complex enough to describe what I feel for her. The anger, the despair, and the knowledge that my life turned on a whim of the Queen. They all exist, in ever shifting measures."

"How did she know?" Melissa asked. Her voice felt dry. Her throat parched.

"I expect she used a spell. One that gave her the ability to look into the depths of my being.

"Now ask me how I knew."

"How… How did you know?" Melissa's heart was beating fast. Her fingers clenched in her lap, meal long forgotten.

"It just felt right."

The words hung heavily in the air, for a moment.

Then, a small strangled cry escaped from Melissa's lips, and the silverware clattered down to her plate. All at once she was sobbing into her hands.

Liliath stood, walked over to Melissa, and gently stroked her back, a small smile on her features. "It's okay. None will mock you here."

"I… I'm…"

"Shhh…" the countess whispered, rubbing Melissa's back again. "It's fine. It'll be okay. Rebirth is a painful process, I know. I know it better than most."

She put her hands on Melissa's shoulders. "You can say it. To me first. And then to your friends. We can say it together, if you'd like. Or you can go it alone. But why don't we practice first."

The countess backed up a few steps, and then smiled. "My name is Liliath Koleff, a countess and a woman. And you are?"

Smiling through the tears, Melissa looked up at the other woman. "M-Melissa…. Drewski… I'm Melissa Drewski, and I'm… the heroine."

"Lonna. How long are you going to lay there?"

Lonna made a noise between a grunt and a groan, containing no words whatsoever, but she trusted Talith to receive the intended meaning.

"Lonna. You walk in. You throw your cloak on the floor. You kick off your boots. You collapse into bed. And you don't move for five tree-forsaken hours! At the very least, you could tell me what happened?"

Lonna rolled onto her side, just long enough to glare at Talith, before sliding back onto her stomach.

"Come on, Lonna. Did the countess do something? Did something happen to Melissa? Give me a clue here! Even if it's just a name."

"....Tabitha." That was all Lonna said.

"Tabitha!?" Talith demanded, pressing his knuckles to the ground and swinging himself forward. "What the fuck is Tabitha doing here!?"

Lonna kept her mouth shut, face plastered against her pillow.

"...Wait… Your contact…? Don't tell me your contact was Tabitha?"

A curl of smoke rose from between Lonna's lips in response, a bit of fire formed in her mouth and rapidly extinguished.

"Of all the burning - in what tree-forsaken world did you think it would be a good idea to trust Tabitha!?"

Lonna shifted so that she was on her side, again, and facing toward Talith. "Thought we had something."

"Had…" Talith stared for a moment, clay mouth sealed shut, glowing red dots boring into his sister. "Lonna. You're talking about a girl who broke your damn antler off!"

"So? I broke them off all over again when we had to go back to Ife…" It had taken a lot of courage, and a lot of alcohol, but she'd done it by her own two hands. All so that she could slip into the castle, and get the heroine summoning spell.

"I really thought I could change the world," Lonna muttered, mostly talking to herself. "I thought I could summon the heroine, and she'd defeat Sorissa, and everything would be great. But I can't even convince Melissa she's the heroine… how am I supposed to do something as impossible as making her marry me?"

"Marry… Lonna. Why the hell would you want to marry someone you barely know!? You're a gynophile, for goodness sakes, and she's a-"

"Don't say it," Lonna whined, clutching the pillow against her ears. "I don't want to hear it."

"Lonna…" Talith's gravely voice held concern, as he slowly walked toward his sister. "What's going on? I know you're attracted to how she looks, but you can't tell me you're actually falling for him."

"Her, Talith." Lonna turned her head to glare at her brother. "Melissa asked that we keep to she and her."

"Yeah. To keep herself from getting noticed. As if there aren't plenty of wataba who don't have access to a transformation spell."

"It's what she wants…"

"But why!?" Talith demanded, voice growing in anger. "Why does she want to be called Melissa? Why does she want to be called she and her? Why would a guy want any of these things?"

"That's not our place to question… People are free to have any gender expression they want. If you start questioning-"

"You start invalidating," Talith finished, shaking his head. "You sound just like Vellos."

"He did teach me half the things I know," Lonna pointed out, propping herself on one arm. "Especially about gender expression. And being born in the wrong body."

"And about being a thief," Talith reminded her. "Damn man's going to get himself caught one day."

"Not if you make an honest man of him, first," Lonna countered, smiling faintly. "I mean, assuming he forgives you for abandoning him and coming with me to Ife…"

"He'll still be ranting about it when he's old, and wrinkly, and every last feather's fallen out," Talith predicted, a small smile on his face. "How I cared about my sister more than him."

"Even though you really just didn't want him in danger…" Lonna pointed out.

Talith shrugged. "Don't want you in danger, either. That's why I followed you. Though if you're going to pull something as stupid as trusting in Tabitha, it'll all be for naught."

Lonna scowled, and let herself drop back down on the bed.

This only lasted for a moment, before she straightened up.

"Why do you hate Melissa so much?" Lonna asked.

"...What makes you think I hate her?" Talith asked, not quite meeting Lonna's gaze.

"I mean. You try to push her away at every opportunity you get? You used to do it with anyone I got interested in the village, but…"

"You mean the ones who bullied you, threw rocks at you, and called you names?" Talith responded, voice taking on a menacing growl. "What a mystery as to why I didn't want you dating them."

"That was when we were kids. And I'll remind you that you let them do it, when we first moved out there."

"...I was… I didn't…" Talith's gaze sank to the floor.

"We were kids." Lonna shrugged, dismissing it with that.

"I was fifteen. I should have known better." Talith's voice was heavy.

"You barely knew me. You just saw a stuck up, half dragon princess who'd run away from home. Someone who put you and mom in danger, and caused you to relocate to a remote farming village. Which everyone was terrified was going to get wiped off the map, when Sorissa came looking after me!

"Kids make mistakes. Then they grow up and make new ones. Like sleeping with Tabitha. Or thinking I had something special with Tabitha. Or thinking I could have something special with anyone, when I'm just a half dragon, runaway princess…"

"Lonna…" Talith started, reaching out a hand.

Lonna slapped it away, glaring up at her brother. "Tell me why you hate Melissa."

"I don't… Hate… Melissa. I just don't think she's any good for you."

"What, like, romantically? I mean, I'm not going to date anyone who isn't a girl, so-"

"No. I mean. To be around…It's just..." Talith sighed, lifted up a hand, opened his mouth, and then let the hand drop and his mouth close.

"What?" Lonna asked, leaning forward.

"She makes you think you can do this. She makes you think you can take on Sorissa, and fight her. She gives you hope - even though she isn't the heroine, isn't a girl, isn't even capable of fighting. She makes you want to keep going. That's why I don't like her, Lonna.

"Because I think she's dangerous."

Lonna stared at Talith. "...You think I can't take on Sorissa?"

"I think she's your mother, and you shouldn't have to. And… also that… You've never been able to figure out how to kill her, other than the heroine. Which Melissa isn't. So.

"Yeah. I think you can't take on Sorissa."

Lonna stared at Talith for a moment longer, not sure what to say.

"...I…" Talith started, only to stop when a knock came on the door. "I'll… Get your cloak."

"Don't bother," Lonna muttered, putting her feet on the floor and standing up. "Everyone knows what I am already. What's the point in hiding it?"

Melissa stood awkwardly in front of the door. She was flanked, on either side, by Joanie the rabbit sapphi, and a human guard who insisted on looking straight ahead at all times. Joanie, too, was staring straight ahead, but in her own words it was to give Melissa "a little privacy."

A very little privacy.

Still, Melissa had gathered her courage, and knocked on the door. After which, she'd heard muffled conversation, footsteps. It was only a moment before the door opened, but considering the news she had that moment felt like eternity.

When the door actually swung open, though, Melissa simply stood and stared for a moment at the girl on the other side.

"Lonna you're…"

"Not wearing my cloak?" Lonna muttered, crossing her arms. "Go ahead and stare if you want. I'll even do a spin."

Lonna turned about, and walked back into the room, leaving Melissa staring.

Of course she was staring. Lonna had wings. Small, dull red, leathery wings, with a thin membrane stretched out over a bony framework, and a tail; small, thick, reptilian, colored red like her wings.

Not to mention the fact that her feet looked like a cross between roots and talons, with elongated toes that ended in claws.

Melissa couldn't help but stare at her, for a moment, before hurrying in. "I'm… I'm sorry. I mean, I guess if your moms are a dragon and a dryad, that means you're not human? But I didn't know…"

"That I looked like a freak?" Lonna suggested, back still turned to Melissa. "That I'm an ugly chimera, with horrible dragon traits?"

"...Actually, I think you look beautiful…" Melissa admitted, shrugging her shoulders. "I mean. You're part dragon! And I've always loved dragons, so-"

"In what tree-forsaken world would someone love dragons!?" Lonna demanded, spinning around to face Melissa at last. "Maybe that's fine in your confusing little world, where guys want to be treated like girls, but here? In Mistina? Dragons are bad. They're horrible. They're evil. And I'm descended from them! Okay? It's not beautiful, it's not…"

"Lonna…" Melissa hesitated for a moment, before getting onto her knees. Now at eye level with Lonna, she reached out a hand to gingerly brush away the tears that were starting to form in the corner of Lonna's eyes.

"Lonna. You're beautiful. Okay? You're gorgeous. I don't want you to ever doubt that."

Lonna stared at Melissa for a moment. Then, without warning, she leaned forward to press her lips against Melissa's.

Melissa's eyes widened in surprise, but she didn't pull away. It honestly felt nice - like a warm tingling spreading from her lips, down throughout her body.

After a moment, Lonna parted, looking down at the ground. "S-Sorry…" She muttered. "I uh… shouldn't have done that. I don't even like guys, so-"

"I'm not a guy."

"...What?" Lonna asked, voice barely more than a whisper.

"I'm not a guy," Melissa repeated, a small smile on her lips. "My name is Melissa Drewski. I'm a girl. And I guess that means I really am the heroine."

A soft groan of frustration could be heard from Talith, in the background. Melissa didn't turn to face it, though, too happy to care.

"You're…" Lonna whispered. "You're a girl?"

Melissa nodded, in response, a happy smile on her face.

Though she still couldn't help but asking… "Um. Lonna. About that kiss?"

Sorissa sat on her throne, a small smile on her features.

Before her were three feminine figures - a young woman with blonde pigtails, blue eyes, and a manic grin upon her face. A rotund woman, dressed in layers of colorful silk clothing. And a slightly more mature, rakish woman whose head was decorated with cat ears. All three of them were kneeling before their queen, as was proper.

"It seems my daughter is after the Scale of Mount Drogone. I want you all to go after them - and ensure they do not get it."

Two of the subjects remained silent. The blonde, however, lifted her head, revealing a faint scar that ran from her scalp to her right eye, and from beneath her right eye down her cheek.

"Thank you for entrusting me with this, mother," she said. "I won't fail you."

"...Tell me, Kylee. What have I told you about calling me mother outside of designated events?"

"N-Not to do it…?" Kylee muttered, looking back down at the floor.

"Correct. And what have I told you about Lonna?"

"That she's… better than me. In every way." Kylee was gritting her teeth as she spoke, the anger evident on her usually manically happy features.

"Of course she is. She was grown with a seed from my tree, within my dear departed wife's body. There is not a single piece of her that would lose to you. That's why I'm putting Dame Belinda in charge of the mission."

A feline pair of ears twitched at the mention of their owner's name. "It will be my pleasure to serve," Belinda said, her voice and gestures deferential.

"Of course it will. Or I'll have Maeve, here, pin your heart until you're practically begging me for a torture session. Now. Off with the three of you."

The three bowed their heads, then stood and filed out of the room.

Sorissa smiled as she watched them leave, but the moment they filed out the door the smile dropped from her features.

"An abandoned toy, a scheming knight, and my personal inquisitor. I know I didn't want to make things too difficult, but I do hope this isn't going too far in the other direction… If I don't challenge Lonna properly, I don't expect she'll ever grow." A small smile touched the corners of Sorissa's lips, then dropped away.

"Being a parent is hard, Arasitelle. Making the people of Respiran hate me - that's easy. And fun. But making Lonna despise me…"

A small sigh escaped Sorissa's lips. "Losing Nadell hardened my heart. Losing you shattered it. And now it's like someone is stomping on the pieces."

Sorissa shook her head, forcing a smile back onto her lips. "Ah, well. An immortal queen does what she must, for the chance to join her loved ones.

"Not that I believe in the Valley, of course. But if it truly is a place where all our mortal mistakes are forgiven… I hope to see you both soon, my loves.

"I hope to see you very soon, indeed."

I realized, writing this chapter, that Sorissa had become more complicated than I originally intended. I even feel for her a bit. ...She's still evil, though. In fact, my goal for her will always be "Cool backstory. Still murder, though."

Anyway, I happen to have art of Kylee and Belinda, so maybe I'll share tomorrow~

Great, even more emotions!
(At least they're good ones this time <3)

honestly when I first understood the plot I was 50/50 that Melissa would end up dating what would turn out to be the not-so-evil queen.

Just wanted to let you know that I am enjoying this story, also Chapter 9 does not have a threadmark.

Chapter 12
Lonna lay on her stomach, small wings folded forward up and under her chest, her stubby red tail lashing side to side. She kept turning the events of the night over and over in her head.

Melissa had called her beautiful. Even despite her being a half dragon, a runaway princess, and an all around mess… Melissa had called her beautiful.

So Lonna had kissed her.

And then Melissa had said she was a girl, and it felt like everything clicked into place. It felt like everything was exactly the way it was supposed to be…

Except Melissa didn't feel the same way. The moment Melissa asked about that kiss, Lonna knew that Melissa didn't feel it. Didn't want it. Didn't understand it.

Lonna loved Melissa. She'd been drawn to the heroine the moment she arrived, and only thinking Melissa was a man had stopped her from pursuing it. Now she knew Melissa was a woman.

She also knew that Melissa didn't feel the same way- she just saw Lonna as a friend. If that. Maybe she only saw Lonna as the one who dragged her into this mess. Maybe she even hated Lonna…

Except Melissa wasn't like that, was she? Unless she was, and Lonna was wrong, and… And she was hated.

Lonna sighed, shaking her head. She was getting nowhere, thinking like this. She needed to take a walk. She needed to clear her head.

Decision made, she rolled out of bed and onto her feet. Talith turned to face her, as she did so, opening his mouth to speak, but she held up a hand.

"Don't want to hear it."

"...I haven't said anything yet," Talith muttered, crossing his arms.

"I can hear it all, already. You think I'm being dumb. You think I definitely should stay put. And most of all, you think I should stop pining over someone who doesn't want me."

"I think anyone who doesn't want you is an idiot," Talith corrected. "...But maybe I was a bit… Harsh. On Melissa."

Lonna stared at him, hard, while Talith shrugged his shoulders.

"I still don't think she's the heroine. And I don't think anything good will come out of you two fighting your mother."

"Don't call her that," Lonna demanded, glaring at her brother. "There's only one woman I'll ever consider my mother."

"No," Talith insisted, shaking his head slowly. "Sorissa did a lot to you. But she raised you for even longer than Maiar did. You can't erase that."

"I had only one mother! One! Not two, not three, one. And Sorissa killed her."

Talith stared at Lonna for a moment, opening and closing his mouth. Then he lowered his head, staring at the ground. "Maiar wouldn't want you to act out of revenge."

"It's not revenge. It's for the well being of every person on this whole forsaken continent that Sorissa's reign ends. You know that as well as I do."

"What I know is that you're the only family I have left. What I know is that family is important. What I know is that you shouldn't have to take the lead in killing your own mother - whether or not you see her as your mom."

"...I tried running away, Talith. I tried telling myself it didn't need to be me. That someone else could summon the heroine, and take care of the threat. That it wasn't my responsibility, just because I benefited from everything she did. But that was when I was thirteen. I'm twenty one, now, Talith - and I'm the only one who can lead the heroine to victory. So. I'm done running."

Saying so, Lonna grabbed her cloak off the floor, slipping out the door and walking down the hallway. She passed Melissa's room without stopping, simply slipping on her cloak and moving toward the manor's front door.

She was done running. She really, truly was done with it. ...So long as she was only talking about Sorissa. If the conversation turned to Melissa, however - she couldn't stop the kiss from flashing through her mind, again. The kiss, and Melissa's confused words right afterward.

She needed a breath of fresh air. She needed to get out of the manor. And honestly, she needed a bite to eat. She hadn't been invited to dinner with the countess, after all. Of course, the servants would have brought her food if she'd asked but then she'd have had to eat under Talith's watchful stare. She wanted to be alone for a bit.

Unfortunately, Lonna didn't have much in the way of coinage. Talith had always handled that...

As a blacksmith, he'd made some decent money in their old life. By contrast, Lonna had still been living at home with their mother, doing little more to earn her keep than mending torn clothes. Not that it hadn't been appreciated - lapsi, like her mother and brother, were notoriously bad with needlework, or indeed anything that required a delicate touch.

Part of why she valued the cloak her mother had made so much was because it had taken Maiar so many tries to get it right. Her adoptive mother had refused all help, though. She'd wasted so much fabric, too. It was really a good thing that Lonna was the only one in the family that needed to eat, because they did not have much money to spare that month…

Remembering just how many times she'd been forced to eat potatoes during that period brought a small smile to Lonna's lips. It had been the same month she'd met Vellos, who went on to teach her how to sneak and steal.

Even back then, at barely fourteen years of age, she'd been thinking of how best to escape the castle if her mother ever came for her. Of how to survive, if she was abandoned. Of how to make sure she could stay alive, no matter what came. That was why she'd asked Vellos to teach her. She could only imagine what he'd seen in her eyes, to convince him to say yes.

Who'd have thought her first big mission would be sneaking into the castle, though? Stealing the summoning scroll. Bringing out the heroine. She'd done so many things her younger self never could have imagined.

She wondered if her adoptive mother would be proud, seeing her daughter like this… Or if, like Talith claimed, she'd have wanted Lonna to stay safe.

Not that it mattered. Her mother was dead. And soon enough, Sorissa would follow.

Then Lonna really would be an orphan…

Lonna shook the thought off, as she heard footsteps coming down the hallway. Pressing herself against the wall, she peeked around the corner, to see two guards walking down the hall. Likely on patrol.

What were their orders, regarding Lonna? Were they meant to keep her here? Was she free to come and go as she pleased? Lonna wasn't sure she wanted to know. They were coming right toward her, though.

Looking about, Lonna's eyes locked on a small vase, standing on a pedestal. More importantly, she locked eyes on the shadow cast by that pedestal, and darted toward it. Wedging herself into the corner, between hallway and vase, she focused on draining all light from the area, until the spot was all but pitch black. Then, she bent the light around herself, making herself invisible - at the cost of not being able to see, for the duration.

With a double layer of protection, all she had to do was wait until the guards walked past her. It was a trick she'd employed in the castle, letting patrol after patrol pass her by as she snuck toward the library. She was convinced it would work.

So she was quite surprised when a set of footsteps walked straight up the alcove, and stopped.

"Funny," came a dry, familiar voice. "I don't remember this alcove having quite so dark a shadow."

Lonna cursed under her breath, letting her magic fade so that she could glare up at the countess.

The countess responded with a smile, green eyes flicking across Lonna's countenance. "Your power to hide is impressive, Princess Lonna. But you went a little too far with the shadow work."

"I'll keep that in mind," Lonna replied, rising up from a crouch to her full, somewhat unimpressive, height. "What are you doing out this late at night?"

"The guards alerted me the moment your door opened, Princess. I thought if I hurried, I might be able to catch you before you ran off into the night."

"I'm not running," Lonna told the woman, glaring now. "I'm just having a walk."

"Considering your brother isn't with you, I can only hope that's true," Liliath murmured. "That said - you are a guest in my home, and not a prisoner. So while I'd appreciate knowing your whereabouts, it's hardly a requirement - you are, of course, free to go outside. Though I imagine there's talk of the princess all up and down the street, at this point."

"Good thing I don't look like much of a princess, then," Lonna retorted, with a small shrug.

In truth, Liliath had a point. She could hide her wings, her tail, and her horns - but not her yellow eyes, or sharp canines. Even if she wore a hood, there might be people who'd recognize her.

It wasn't like she was in danger, though. The smart ones would be too scared of what her mother would do, and the stupid ones…

Well. She could take care of herself.

"I imagine you can take care of yourself," Liliath laughed, as if reading Lonna's mind. "I would ask you to go easy on my people, though, if trouble were to arise."

"...You really care about them?" Lonna asked, frowning. "I always thought nobles were too busy living it up to care about what happened to the people on their lands."

"Perhaps some are," Liliath answered, shrugging her shoulders. "I always thought it was foolish to ignore the needs of those who feed us. Which is why I'll ask you again to go easy on them."

"Fine. If that's all? I kind of wanted to go out a bit." She glanced toward the end of the hallway, where the guards had stopped to gape. When Liliath's own eyes flicked to them they snapped to attention, and a small smile touched Liliath's face.

"Not quite all," Liliath informed Lonna, reaching for her belt. Lonna tensed as Liliath's fingers brushed past her sword hilt, but that wasn't what she grabbed. Instead, she pulled from her belt a small pouch, which she tossed to Lonna.

It was surprisingly heavy, when Lonna caught it. "This is…?"

"Coin. Fifty crowns to be precise - it should be more than enough to try a few of the local delicacies."

"It should be enough to buy a local house," Lonna replied, staring at the bag. "Why, by the trees, are you giving me all this?"

"...The guards informed me that you were haggling for clothes when they found you."

"Yeah. And?"

"If you're to be seen as the queen, at the end of all this, you need to present yourself as one now," Liliath explained. "The people who see you as the princess, as you walk down the street - they should see you as a figure of wealth and power. They should not remember you as the girl who couldn't even afford a nice dress."

"Sorry to break it to you, but I'm not exactly the type that exudes royal presence." Not that this stopped this from slipping the pouch under her cloak, and into a pocket.

"It's never too late to learn," was Liliath's response, a small smile on her lips. "Now - I believe we both had somewhere to go?"

Lonna nodded, slowly, walking past the guards, down the hallway, and out the door.

There were another two guards outside, who glanced at her curiously at Lonna as she exited, but otherwise said nothing.

"...Guess slipping out unnoticed was never going to happen," Lonna muttered to herself, walking down the steps of the manor, and toward the town.

"Tell me what these are called again?" Lonna asked, staring suspiciously at the plate of food the tavern keeper had given her.

"Kraken balls," the man responded, for the third time that evening. A tall man, whose thickset arms were covered in hair, he glared down at the cloaked figure who'd taken up a stool at the bar and ordered a plate of his "finest food."

"But they're not actually… you know… Testicles, right?" Lonna asked. "You promise, right? Because I will eat most things, but even I have some standards."

"Like I could afford to serve a set of those," the man snorted, shaking his head. "Look. Eat them or don't. I have other customers to see to."

Lonna responded by poking one of the lightly breaded balls with her finger. Then, with a bit of hesitation, she popped it into her mouth.

It was delicious. Juicy and warm, and more than filling, by the time she'd finished eating the first she was already reaching for the second. By the time she had finished the fifth, she had already ordered a second plate. It was only after eating her third that she finally slipped out of the tavern, belly full and belt pouch… not at all lighter. In fact, since she'd received change in helms and caps, it was actually a bit heavier than when she'd entered.

"What am I supposed to do with this sort of money, anyway?" she groused to herself, shaking her head as she walked down the road. She supposed she should be saving it for the journey. She did hope to avoid going into too many more towns, but it wasn't like they could avoid people altogether during the journey. Money might very well come in handy. Even if they hunted their own food, and built their own shelter, there was a chance of their clothes getting torn beyond repair or one of them falling sick and needing medicine, or just… Anything, really.

She was lost in thought, thinking of all the potential uses for her coin, when she bumped into a figure even smaller than she was, sending them sprawling across the ground.

Instantly, another figure stepped out of the shadows, this one just ever so slightly taller than Lonna herself. "What do you think you're doing, walking without looking where you're going?" the new person demanded. "If you've hurt my brother - I'll… I'll report you to the authorities! I'll make you pay for his medical bills! I'll-"

"Relax," Lonna interrupted, rolling her eyes at the tirade. The girl giving it to her couldn't have been more than thirteen. She was dirty, filthy really, and her clothes were so covered in patchwork that it was impossible to tell what color the original clothes had been. Her cheeks were gaunt, seeming to indicate she'd gone a while without food.

Her brother, lying on the floor, looked almost the same. A touch less thin, perhaps. Most likely the girl was doing her best to keep him fed, at cost to herself. He was also moaning, faintly, and clutching at his arm. "It hurts…" he whispered. "It hurts…"

Lonna did not speak, choosing instead to study the boy. She did know a simple healing spell. It wasn't much, but it would work on minor injuries. She could use it on the boy… but speedy healing took it out of a person, and it didn't seem like he had much to give.

Besides which, as someone who'd undergone quite a bit of pain herself, it was pretty obvious to Lonna that the boy was faking.

"So what's the plan?" Lonna asked, eyes flicking to the girl. "Talk up how much trouble I'll get in with the guards, and then demand I hand over some coins to keep your silence? Or maybe he was supposed to steal my purse when I bent down to give him a look over?"

"I-I don't know what you're talking about!" the girl insisted, but her voice cracked ever so faintly.

Lonna smiled, in response. "Tell your brother to get up. I'll pay for you two to get a bath, and some food in you, but that's it. I don't respond to extortion."

The boy had stopped moaning at some point. Now he was staring fearfully up at Lonna, while his big sister walked cautiously around Lonna to reach her brother.

"Who are you?" the girl demanded after a moment. "If - if you really think we're trying to cheat you, why are you helping us?"

"Because I feel like it," was Lonna's blithe answer, rolling her eyes as she did so. She wasn't going to say it was because they looked too pathetic to ignore. "Also, you seriously need to work on your con artistry. What if I didn't even have any coin on me? What if I refused to pay? Did you even have a backup plan?"

"I… I'm not admitting to anything," was the girl's response. She lifted her chin as she spoke, staring defiantly. "I'm not going to let you trick me into-"

"Yes, yes, whatever you say," Lonna interrupted, rolling her eyes again. "For now, we're getting you to a bath. And then some food..."

"The public baths are closed," the girl replied, in return, frowning. "They closed hours ago."

"...Fine then. I didn't want to do this, but…" The girl flinched back at Lonna's words, but all Lonna did was crouch on the ground and start to etch some symbols onto the road with a piece of chalk. "Relax, would you? It's a basic cleaning spell. I use it on myself all the time." Saying so, she regarded the symbols she had drawn for a moment, gave a firm nod, and then bisected the symbols with a circle.

`"Stand in here," Lonna ordered, but the girl only stared back at her with defiance in her eyes. "For the love of the Majesty Trees, do I need to show you it's safe?" she demanded, stepping into the circle herself. Bending down to touch the first symbol she had drawn, she poured energy through the drawn lines, causing a flash of light.

When the light cleared, every speck of dirt that Lonna had picked up during her travels had disappeared from her, leaving her clean and refreshed.

"Now you," Lonna insisted, stepping out of the circle.

"...Why would you do this for us?" the girl asked, for the second time.

"Just get in the circle, before I change my mind."

The girl glanced at her brother, who was still laying on the ground. Her brother looked back, fear and wonder lighting up his eyes in equal measure. After a moment's hesitation, the girl stepped into the circle, and Lonna lit it up again.

When the light cleared, the girl's dress was still a patchwork but her skin was clear and her brown hair was no longer matted and filthy. She looked at herself, wonder in her eyes for a moment, before giving her brother and a firm nod.

Soon both of them were clean. Which meant now Lonna only had to deal with the fact that they were starving.

"Now that you're clean, it should be easy enough to get you fed," Lonna declared, turning away from them and gesturing for them to follow her. Although her back was to them, she could still sense their presence with magic, and knew they were standing stock still.

The boy was the first to break, getting to his feet and starting after Lonna.

"Bek…" the girl protested.

"I'm hungry, Travi," Bek responded. "I know you don't trust strangers, but… I don't think she's a bad person…"

Travi hesitated a moment, but then she jogged up to grab Lonna's hand. "Please," she begged. "Slow down? Bek can't walk very fast…"

"Fiiiiine," Lonna sighed, slowing her pace and resisting the urge to smile. "But only because we're not going very far."

Their destination was an inn, right next to the tavern from earlier. The innkeeper had been getting ready for bed, from the nightgown she was wearing, but her scowl turned into a smile when Lonna held up a crown and asked for a room with two beds, and some food.

Soon, Travi was poking at her own kraken ball with a finger, sniffing it suspiciously, and then popping it into her mouth. Only after chewing and swallowing did she finally nod to Bek, who eagerly bit into his without a single complaint or worry.

He probably didn't even realize his sister had been checking for poison.

"So how'd you two end up living on the streets?" Lonna asked, after the siblings had eaten enough to fill their shrunken bellies. "Town seems prosperous enough - does the countess not have an orphanage?"

"No, there is one," Bec told her.

Travi shot her brother a glare, and then sighed. "There is one," she confirmed. "But it's only for citizens. Our mother was a traveling merchant - she died of illness, while visiting the city. She left us some money - but it ran out quickly…"

"We don't even have enough to pay the entrance fee if we leave the city," Bek added, ignoring his sister's glare as he volunteered more information.

"So in other words you're stuck," Lonna murmured. "Not enough money to get anywhere, and if you even try you won't be able to get into town again. That right?"

The siblings nodded as one.

Lonna sighed. "I know a farming village - in the Mirra Valley. Your mom ever take you out that way?"

Travi and Bek exchanged glances, both shrugging haplessly.

"...Guess not. It's pretty small. But. If you can find your way there, I'm sure the villagers would help you out. If no one else will, you could find someone named Vellos - mention my name, and he'll take you in."

"Thanks," the girl murmured, "But I don't even know how we'd get there."

"You'll need to book passage, of course," Lonna responded, shrugging her shoulders. "I'll leave you a few gold coins. Enough for the trip."

"...Why?" Travi asked, suspicion evident in her voice. "And don't tell me it's-"

"Because I feel like it?" Lonna suggested, cracking a small smile. "Maybe I just know what it's like to be hungry and alone. You're doing a good job looking after your brother… but it shouldn't all be up to you. You're a kid, too, you know."

"Am not," Travi protested. "I'm thirteen."

"Yeah?" Lonna asked, pursing her lips. "Well then, miss thirteen year old, you should know enough about the world to know you never turn down a helping hand when it's offered."

"I know enough to know nothing's free," Travi replied, eyes stubbornly locked on Lonna's. "What do you want from us?"

"...Someone took me in, once, when I was thirteen and alone. Maybe I'm just returning the favor, the best I can." The response was more honest than Lonna had intended, and she found herself averting her gaze from the girl.

The suspicion in the girl's eyes seemed to grow worse, from that, and after a moment Lonna sighed. "How about this, then: I want to know about the runaway princess."

"The… runaway princess?" Travi asked, blinking in surprise. "You mean Princess Lonna?"

"That's the one," Lonna confirmed, a small smile on her lips. "I heard she's in town."

"I heard rumors," Travi admitted, "but…"

"I hear she eats children," Bec whispered, voice low. "I hear she swoops in through windows on dragon wings and eats children who don't listen to their mothers…"

"She does not," Travi insisted, but her voice shook faintly. "I heard she is part dragon, though… She sounds terrifying."

"Not the sort of person you'd want to meet on a dark night, huh?" Lonna asked.

Both siblings shook their heads.

"Why do you want to know about her?" Travi asked.

"I don't know. Guess I just…"

"Felt like it?" Travi suggested.

"Yeah. Something like that." Lonna gave back an easy grin. "Anyway. Mirra Village, in the Mirra Valley. Book yourself passage with a merchant heading that way - and tell them…" Lonna hesitated, here. She'd said to give her name, but after that conversation…

"Tell them L with the red hair sent you," she decided, at last.

"Ell?" Travi asked, a little suspicious. Slowly, though, she nodded. "And you'll really leave us coin for the trip? Just because you feel like it?"

"And in return for what you know about the princess," Lonna reminded her. "I want to hear everything you have to say about her."

As it turned out, Travi had a lot to say about Princess Lonna. Stories about how she'd eat children notwithstanding, there were tales about she could burn people to a crisp with her breath, and how her bloodcurdling scream announced certain death. Not to mention the stories that she'd only run away so that she could sneak about as Sorissa's eyes and ears.

Lonna listened to them all, burning into her mind just how people saw her. Just what she was up against, if she did become queen.

Eventually, Bek let out a yawn, and Lonna held out a hand. "That's.. Enough stories for tonight," she told them, a small, strained, smile on her lips. "You should get some rest."

Travi nodded, stifling her own yawn.

Despite the room having two beds, the children curled up on a single mattress.

Lonna, for her part, blew out the lantern before moving toward the door. In the doorway, though, she hesitated, remembering her promise to leave them coin. She wasn't sure how much was needed for the journey, though. "...Trees forsake it. I never was good with money…" she muttered to herself, before sighing and reaching into her cloak.

Not knowing how much they'd need, she withdrew a handful of crowns from the bag.

The rest of the purse, she left for the children.

Almost caught up with what I've got written. I'm on chapter 15, which is undergoing editing right now. Chapter 16 still needs to be written and... I might be writing it a bit longer.

Chapter 13
Melissa lay in bed, staring at the ceiling. The events of the last day kept shifting through her mind. Discovering her identity as a girl had felt more like a revelation than a true surprise - a puzzle piece she'd always known was missing had simply clicked into place.

Realizing she was the heroine… She was still trying to process what that meant, exactly. In a way, it didn't change anything at all. Her goal was still to defeat Sorissa; to do so, she still had to gather the Lunargent Scale, and the mythical weapon known as Quecaw.

Everything had changed, though. If Melissa was the heroine, then she couldn't afford to rely on the power of her companions as she had so far. She needed to learn how to fight, how to use magic, and how to stand on her own two legs. Otherwise, she'd never be able to take Sorissa's head.

Can I really kill someone, though? Melissa asked herself. She'd pledged herself toward Lonna's cause, knowing full well Lonna wanted from her. Although she'd tried her hardest not to dwell on it, she'd known from the start that her mission was to kill someone.

The problem was that the queen was no longer just an abstract figure in Melissa's mind. She was a mother. Lonna's mother. How could Melissa kill Lonna's mom? Even if Lonna herself seemed to want it, Melissa was scared that Lonna would change her mind once she saw her parent's bloody corpse.

Melissa had chosen to fight Sorissa for four reasons.

The first was to get back her old body, now a moot point.

The second reason was that she'd wanted to go back home - but while Melissa hadn't exactly stopped yearning for the safety and comfort of her old world, she wasn't sure that going back in her current body was really an option. She had no identification, for one thing. No way to explain where she'd been. It was possible her fingerprints had remained the same but, even if she managed to convince people that she and David were one and the same, she'd be hard pressed to explain how her body had changed so drastically. If she wasn't willing to turn back, then going home might be out of the question.

The third reason she'd had for taking this mission was to save this queendom from its ruler. That desire hadn't changed. She'd seen what the town of Ife had been reduced to under Sorissa's reign, and while she understood that Liliath's feelings toward Sorissa were mixed, nothing in the countess's story had convinced Melissa that Sorissa was a good ruler. She needed to be deposed.

Did she need to be killed, though? If she could be defeated, if she could be made to abdicate, if the throne could be passed to someone else… Wouldn't that be enough?

The fourth reason Melissa had accepted this mission was because she'd wanted to see Lonna's smile.

It wasn't enough to make the queendom safe for people at large. While she did want this to be a world where people could laugh, Melissa really and truly wanted it to be a place where Lonna could hum. Sing, even, if she wanted to.

Melissa knew she was missing a lot of information. She didn't know what had driven Lonna to stand against her own mother. She recognized that Lonna was hated, but she didn't really know why. Because of her mother? Because she was half dragon? Perhaps both.

Regardless, Melissa could tell that Lonna had suffered. Yet still she stood against her mother. Whatever she had or hadn't done to deserve the people's hate, she was standing with them against her own mom. Melissa didn't want to trample on that sacrifice, but... She didn't want Lonna to sacrifice her own smile for the sake of everyone else's

There's too much I don't know… Melissa complained, internally, to herself. What drove Sorissa toward evil? What caused the rift between the princess and the queen? Would the people be satisfied with Sorissa's imprisonment, or was her head on a pike truly the only option before them? The only one who could give her clarity was Lonna. There was no point in turning things over and over in her head without asking Lonna what she thought. Melissa knew that.

Really, she should go to Lonna's room and ask the girl directly. That was the only way she'd be able to put the questions to rest. Melissa knew that, too.

Melissa also knew that she wasn't ready to face the girl again, just yet. Not so soon after that kiss.

She could still feel the sensation of Lonna's lips against hers. Soft and sweet, yet filled with so much desperate need. It had felt nice, but at the same time it had terrified Melissa beyond belief.

Melissa had only just found out that she was a girl. She didn't know Lonna that well, didn't know herself that well, and she was apparently on a mission to kill Lonna's mother. There was a lot she needed to sort out and she really hadn't been expecting the kiss. It wasn't as if she hadn't enjoyed it, and she'd definitely appreciated it, but she wasn't sure she was ready for a romantic relationship. With anyone. Not yet.

The moment she'd tried to express that, though, Lonna had shut down. The feeling of rejection had been clearly written in her eyes. The pain and hurt on her features had caused Melissa to stutter and stammer as she tried to explain, and though Lonna had claimed everything was fine when they parted, Melissa knew that wasn't really the case.

It didn't change things. Everything Melissa had said was true. She really wasn't ready for a relationship. She really was interested in getting to know Lonna a bit better. Maybe they could even go on a date, if Melissa truly did end up sticking around. But a kiss? This early? She wasn't ready.

She wasn't.

"So much for protecting Lonna's smile, though..." Melissa sighed, flopping onto her side without lifting her head from her hands.

She stayed in that position until she fell asleep.

Using one hand to rub the sleep from her eyes, Lonna stretched her other arm toward the ceiling. It was a slow, lazy awakening, reminiscent of days long gone. That, and the sheer softness of the bed, brought back memories Lonna wished would stay buried.

"You slept in," Talith remarked. He was by the room's only exit, with one heavy clay hand directly pressed against the wooden door as if to keep it from being opened. Actually, Lonna was pretty sure that was exactly what he had in mind.

"Sorry for making you keep watch," Lonna said. While her brother didn't need sleep, that didn't mean he wouldn't grow bored keeping an eye on her all night. "You could have woken me up, though."

"I would have, if anyone actually bothered coming to the door," Talith admitted, shrugging one of his round, rock-like shoulder joints. "Guess the countess didn't mind you sleeping in."

"Princess perk," Lonna responded, dryly. "Or maybe the servants are still arguing over who has to deal with the dragon."

"Someone's bitter," Talith remarked, raising one side of his monobrow. "Your night out went badly?"

"I wouldn't say it went badly, exactly…" Lonna admitted, scratching at the back of her neck. "I got a good reminder of how the world sees me, is all."

Between Tabitha and the orphans, the last twenty four hours had really driven home what the denizens of this world thought of her, and it wasn't pretty.

The runaway princess. The half-dragon disaster. If she was only Sorissa's daughter, there might have been some hope of changing public opinion. It might have been possible to convince the masses to judge her as a separate person. But nobody was going to trust a half-dragon. Nobody was going to give a chance to one of those beasts, who had once enslaved all the sapient species of this continent.

Well. What of it? Lonna thought to herself. At the end of the day, none of this was news to Lonna. Yes, it was a bit hard seeing her inner thoughts so brutally confirmed, but it was nothing she hadn't already known. She could handle it.

"So it went that bad?" Talith asked, removing his hand from the door and walking toward Lonna. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"I told you, it wasn't… all bad," Lonna muttered, reaching down to the floor to grab her green cloak. "I talked to a couple kids. Found out how people are talking about me. Apparently I eat naughty children, among other things."

"Lonna…" Talith lifted a hand toward her, but then hesitated, unsure of what to say.

"It's fine, Talith. I'm used to it. I'm 'the runaway princess' after all." She flashed Talith a smile, reaching into her cloak as she did so and drawing out two bits of twine. These she used to tie her red hair into two buns, forming one around each of the two brown antler-nubs that marked her dragon heritage.

"...I'm going to go see Melissa," Lonna declared, walking past Talith and toward the door. "Assuming I can get someone to show me the way, anyhow."

"Really?" Talith again lifted one side of his monobrow. "You aren't going to try and kiss her again, are you?"

"Of course not," Lonna denied. "She's made it pretty damn clear she isn't into me, after all."

That wasn't exactly what Melissa had said, and Lonna knew it. It was only that Melissa wasn't quite ready to think about romance, not that she had no romantic interest in Lonna. Still, it was of cold comfort to Lonna, who knew that Melissa intended to leave this world behind.

Talith, for his part, looked as if he wanted to say something. His mouth opened, and closed, but, in the end, the only thing that escaped his throat was a sigh.

"...Don't look at me like that," Lonna muttered, pulling the door open. "I'm fine. Honest."

Talith looked like he wanted to argue, more, but stopped himself when he saw the maid standing in front of their door.

She was a harpy; specifically one with brown hawk wings stretching behind her back. She had black hair, cut at shoulder length, and golden eyes that seemed as cold as the metal they resembled. She was standing in front of the door as if she'd been waiting there for it to open, and she lowered herself into a curtsy the moment it did so.

"Princess Lonna," the maid said, dropping her black skirts and straightening stiffly upright. "Countess Liliath would like to formally request your presence for breakfast. Also invited is the heroine, known as Melissa."

"Sorry, but I make a habit of skipping any meals my brother isn't invited to," Lonna informed the maid.

"Your.. brother?" The maid glanced at Talith, still inside the room, then nodded. "Then if the countess were to include another place at the table, you would come?"

"Maybe," Lonna agreed. "Why don't you go ask your mistress, while I go see the heroine? Meet me there in, say, twenty minutes?"

"I am supposed to take you directly to the countess," the maid protested. "I'm sure if your brother were to follow, however-"

"Are maids really supposed to be making those kinds of decisions?" Lonna interrupted, cocking an eyebrow. "You might get in trouble with the countess if you don't do everything by the book, you know."

"My mistress cares for results first and foremost," the maid declared, with confidence in her voice. "If the two of you would kindly follow me?"

Lonna glanced at Talith, who only shrugged his broad shoulders. It didn't seem like the lapsi had any ideas on how to get out of this. Or maybe he simply saw no reason to get out of it? The countess wasn't asking for anything unreasonable, and going along with her wishes was probably the easiest way to meet up with Melissa. With that in mind, it was actually pretty obvious what Lonna needed to do.

"Sorry," she declared, without the slightest hint of guilt in her voice, "but I'm going to have to turn you down. I want to have a private talk with the heroine before breakfast. How about you lead me there, and we'll head to the countess together after a little chat?"

Lonna had no reason for going against the countess. She had plenty of reason to follow the countess, actually. Whether it was to meet up with Melissa, to avoid offense, or just for the sake of securing the countess's good mood, there were a lot of merits to doing what the maid asked.

Still, Lonna refused to do what was asked. She didn't have a single good reason for doing so, but she did have a single, overwhelming, bad reason for her decision: she was in a horrible mood, and she felt like being contrary.

Faced with this needless needling, the maid stared at Lonna for several moments before dropping into another curtsy.

"If that is what the princess wishes," the maid declared, "then it will be my honor to see to it. Shall I lead you to the heroine?"

"Quickly, if you don't mind." Lonna lazily laced her fingers behind her head as she spoke, a languid smile on her lips. "We wouldn't wanna keep the countess waiting too long, after all."

"Of course, Princess. I will be sure to let my mistress know of your concern for her schedule." The maid curtsied, again, and turned. Without so much as a glance behind her shoulder, she started to walk swiftly down the hallway.

Lonna hurried after. Hurried being a keyword, as the maid's long legs allowed her to set a fast pace without seeming the slightest bit rushed, herself. Lonna, struggling to keep up on her shorter legs, stubbornly refused to ask the maid to slow down. In her mind, she had entered a sort of battle with the harpy maid and it could only end in either utter victory or crushing defeat.

Eventually, after leading Lonna through a series of hallways, the maid came to a halt. Lonna, who'd practically been forced to start jogging in order to keep up with the woman's walking pace, stopped as well. Somewhat grateful for the break, but trying not to show it, Lonna took a moment to study the area they'd found themselves in.

They were some distance away from Lonna's room. She was pretty sure the maid had made the route needlessly complicated, either to keep Lonna from memorizing the route or to sadistically force Lonna into walking a longer distance. Perhaps both? Lonna couldn't rule anything out. The fact that her room wasn't next door to Melissa's in the first place was suspicious, too.

It was possible that the countess was simply treating them differently due to their different stations. It wouldn't have technically been inappropriate for the countess to stuff Melissa in a servant's quarters, or some such. The lush brown carpet under their feet, the fancy vase against the wall, and the painting of a former count set between two nearby doors, seemed to indicate that this area was at least as fancy as the area where Lonna was housed, though. If not more so…

So why were Lonna and Melissa separated? Perhaps to keep them from slipping away, together, during the night? Lonna knew that the countess didn't get along with Sorissa, but she couldn't help but be suspicious of the woman's motivations all the same. She still remembered what the countess had said, when they first arrived, after all. If Liliath became convinced that Lonna and Melissa were more a threat to the populace than Sorissa, herself, they'd be turned over to the queen in a heartbeat. Lonna was sure of it.

If she found out that Melissa had turned down Lonna's initial attempt at romance, would that shift the countess's thinking? Would she realize that the future she wanted, with Lonna as the queen and Melissa as her princess consort, was too far fetched to come about? Would she turn on them? If so, they might be in trouble. Lonna still wasn't at full capacity when it came to her magic - she had gathered maybe a third of her Breath back, thanks to food and sunlight.

That was more than enough to blow the manor to smithereens, but doing so while also protecting Talith and Melissa from the flames would be a bit of a stretch. If she had a better grasp of spellcraft, she'd have more options - custom, written spells were by far the most efficient way to use one one's Breath, after all… But wishing for what couldn't be was pointless. Lonna had only raw power at her disposal, not intricate spell weavings.

With that in mind, Lonna's power was probably best kept as a deterrent, at least until she'd gotten more of her Breath back. Actually, if things got bad enough that they needed to escape in a rush, wouldn't it be best to just destroy walls in a straight line until they found their way out? In which case she didn't really need to worry about memorizing the layout of this place.

Though. Come to think of it…

"Why'd we stop?" Lonna asked her guide. She'd assumed they were at the destination, or practically so, but the maid had yet to indicate a room. In fact, she had been standing stock still for the last minute or so, arms at her side, palms flat against her thighs, a patient expression on her face.

"I thought that you would wish to regain your composure, after the long walk here, before greeting the heroine," the maid explained. "It wouldn't do if a potential suitor saw you flustered and out of breath, Princess."

"You…" Lonna's teeth ground against each other, a physical representation of Lonna's self restraint. If her lips were closed, she could neither breathe fire nor utter a spell. She could still gather light, of course, but she tried very hard not to think about blasting super-concentrated light at the woman who'd put her in this position before expressing concern. Was her love life just a joke to the people in this manor?

"You seem to have murder in your eyes, Princess." The maid tilted her head to one side as she spoke, and she tapped a finger against the upper corner of her mouth. "Are you the sort to take it out on me? Perhaps you'll ask to have me tormented on the dinner table? I have been wondering how many of your mother's proclivities you share…"

"Do not call that woman my mother!" Lonna snapped. For a moment, the room grew noticeably dimmer, as bright light gathered in Lonna's hands. Then, slowly, the light began to fade again. "I am not Sorissa."

"...So you're fine with being accused of vile behaviors, but being compared to the queen is a line too far? You certainly are troublesome, aren't you, Princess?"

"Yeah, I get it. I'm the tiny terror who's going to gnaw off your limbs and burn your bones, right? Think of me you wish. But whatever crimes you think I've committed, or will commit, they belong to me and me alone. They're completely separate from Sorissa being my… Creator." Lonna looked away as she spoke the last word, not quite able to meet the maid's eyes. She knew as well as anyone that she couldn't separate herself entirely from Sorissa. All the same, she didn't want to recognize the woman as her mother.

"I see, I see," the maid murmured, before dropping into another curtsy. "It was rude of me to test you like that. My father often told me that I mustn't judge people on their parentage, but considering the nature of your parents I had to wonder just what sort of daughter they had managed to raise. I'm sure they'd be disappointed to know they didn't raise a monster."

"I can't tell if you're complimenting me, or trying to get me to rip your throat out," Lonna complained, gnashing her teeth together. "Who the hell do you even think you are?"

"Ah. Perhaps I should have led with that? My father is Lord Schmell, a baron. I am his first daughter, Marindell, but since I was born of a commitment ceremony I am sadly bereft of titles. Hence my placement in this manor as a maid, as it would happen."

"Lord Schmell?" Lonna tried to remember if she'd ever been to the man's estate. Her life had been a flurry of visits to various estates, back then, but baron's were low enough in the pecking order that they likely hadn't warranted a direct visit. Even if they had, they wouldn't have bothered to introduce Lonna to this girl, who'd been born outside a proper noble marriage contract.

"We've never met, Princess," Marindell said, as if reading Lonna's mind. "My father has done his best to keep out of your - out of Sorissa's sight."

"Seems a shame to undo all that work by putting yourself on my bad side," Lonna pointed out.

"But you are not the queen, Princess," Marindell countered. "And I can't help but think it'll be a blessing, being known by you. If not now, then one day."

"Known for being a thorn in my side, you mean," Lonna groused. "Fine. You've made sure I'll remember Lord Schmell's name. And you've given me time to catch my breath. Now tell me how to get to Melissa?"

"It's just around this corner," Marindell promised, leading Lonna around the corner.

Lonna stared after her a moment, memorizing every detail of the girl from behind, before following. She would remember Lord Schmell - but only through his connection to Marindell.

It wasn't every day Lonna met a girl with so little fear.

Melissa woke, stirred by a gentle beam of light that shone through her unshuttered window. She moved quickly, from there, swinging her feet down off the bed and reaching for her shoes.

The dirty white sneakers were the only clothes left to her from before the transformation, and Melissa took a moment to appreciate the fact that her shoe size hadn't changed too much in the transformation. She wasn't strictly opposed to getting a good pair of boots, but she was fairly sure that medieval footwear wouldn't have the same level of arch support as her own sneakers.

Well, feet were the one thing Clatarra hadn't measured, so Melissa was fairly sure it wasn't a problem. Though, thinking of Clatarra, hadn't the girl given her something? Something for Lonna…?

"That's right…" Melissa murmured. "The spell. To stop Lonna's mom from… spying… on her…" A slow flush crept across Melissa's cheeks, upon realizing she'd forgotten something so important. She hadn't had pockets, so if memory served…

Blushing, faintly, Melissa reached into her cleavage, and pulled out a folded piece of parchment. The spell was written on it, multiple symbols connected by a circle of ink. Melissa wasn't really sure how to read it, but Clatarra had claimed it would shield Lonna from spying for a day, each time she cast it. Considering Lonna didn't even think it was possible for her to be spied on, didn't that make this a really precious piece of parchment?

"And I just stuck it in my cleavage like it was nothing…" Melissa rubbed the back of her head, trying to hide her embarrassment. There was really nothing to be done for it, though. Between realizing she was a girl, and getting kissed, it had totally slipped from her thoughts.

"W-well, guess I better tell Lonna about it…" Attempting to laugh off her mistake, Melissa reached for the doorknob, and pulled the door open.

Standing on the other side was Lonna, her fist raised as if to knock. Melissa and her blinked in surprise at each other, both of them taking a hurried step back upon making eye contact, and glancing away from each other. If they'd bothered to look at one another's faces, they might have noticed that they were both blushing.

After a few moments of awkward fidgeting, during which Melissa wound hair around her finger while Lonna squeezed lightly at her own arm, it was Melissa who broke the silence.

"Lonna… About the kiss, I-"

"It's fine," Lonna interrupted. "I just got caught up in the moment."

"Are you sure?" Melissa tried to search Lonna's eyes, but Lonna stubbornly refused to meet her gaze. "Lonna. I wasn't trying to reject you. You know that, right? I just need some time to sort out what I'm feeling."

"I said I get it, alright?" she did meet Melissa's gaze with those words. There was anger in her eyes, and hurt.

Melissa knew she had caused that hurt. She wasn't sure what she could do to get rid of it, though. She simply, truly, wasn 't ready to start dating as a girl yet.

"I get it," Lonna muttered, again, looking at the ground. "I understand. So I need you to understand that getting turned down is gonna hurt for a while, alright? And having you walk on eggshells around me is just gonna hurt more. So… Just… pretend like nothing's the matter, for a while, would you?"

"Just… Pretend?" Melissa parroted back.

"That's right," Lonna confirmed. "Just until we can put things behind us for real. It's not like we can stop spending time together, or wait it out. The only thing we can do is pretend it doesn't bother us until it really doesn't. And by then, who knows? Maybe you'll be back on your world!"

"I'm… Not sure I want to go back to my old world, actually…" Melissa looked away from Lonna as she admitted this, choosing to study the brown carpet beneath their feet. "I don't want to change my body, anymore, which means it would be kind of complicated to go back… I do still want to defeat Sorissa, for everyone's sake - and I want to use her library to look into how to send a letter home. But. I don't think I want to go back myself…"

"Is that so?" It was difficult to read the emotions in Lonna's voice. Her face was a carefully composed mask of neutrality, as well.

"I… After everything is done. I was hoping we could go on a date," Melissa admitted, scratching at the back of her neck. "If that's something you still want, I mean?"

"...You should be careful about giving people false hopes, you know," Lonna warned. There was a lonely wistfulness in her voice, an ache that caused Melissa to unconsciously reach toward Lonna, before dropping her hand. There was nothing she could do. Nothing she could say, beyond what she'd already said. It was the only offer she had to make, and if Lonna didn't believe it was possible, then…

To Melissa's surprise, however, Lonna looked up at her with a bright smile on her lips. It didn't seem fake, at least to Melissa.

"Alright," Lonna declared. "I'll work you to the bone to make that future a reality! Me and you, kissing beneath the moonlight. Keep that goal in mind and keep working hard!"

"A-alright," Melissa promised. "I'll work hard for a future where you can smile like that, all the time."

"Uh-huh. As long as you're working to beat Sorissa, I guess I don't have any complaints. Your promise isn't what I came here to collect, though - the countess wants to see us both."

"Liliath wants to see me?" Melissa asked, surprised.

"...Liliath, huh?" Lonna narrowed her eyes, faintly. "You're getting pretty close to her, aren't you? I thought you were of common birth, but you don't seem to think anything about getting close to royalty."

"Well, we didn't really have much in the way of royalty where I'm from," Melissa admitted. "So I guess I just don't take the whole thing that seriously? I can try to be more formal, if you want. Princess."

"Don't call me that," Lonna warned, scowling. "It makes me see like I'm nothing more than my title. Which I didn't exactly ask for, for the record."

"Sorry," Melissa apologized, nervously wrapping a bit of hair around her index finger. "I'm… Honestly, I'm still not entirely sure what to make of everything," she admitted. "There's so much I don't know about you. I can tell that things must have been hard on you, but other than that… Everything is a mystery."

"Well, maybe I can remove some of that mystery after breakfast," Lonna suggested. "When we don't have anyone waiting. And when we hopefully have less of an audience…"

"An audience?" Melissa asked. She hadn't been aware of anyone but the two of them.

At the question, however, Lona sighed and pushed the door further open. Behind her were a black haired harpy maid, and Joanie the rabbit sapphi.

"Yup yup," Joanie interjected. "I'll be guiding you to the countess's chamber this morning. Guard and guide, I'm earning my keep this week. If you'll follow me?"

"I, as well, will be guiding you," the maid declared, dropping into a curtsy. "My name is Marindell; a pleasure to meet you, heroine."

"Wait a second," Melissa protested, holding up a hand. "I just got up. My brain's not even fully functional, yet. And…" Wasn't she forgetting something? That's right! "I had something to give to Lonna!"

"Something to give me?" Lonna frowned faintly at this news, glancing behind her at the company who'd come with them. "Is it okay to talk about in front of company?"

"Well… I don't think waiting is a great idea," Melissa confessed. "It's uh… It's sort of. A spell?" Melissa explained, holding out the parchment. "Clatarra - that is, the tailor's daughter? - she told me it would shield you from a spying spell? Which is apparently on you. ...She gave it to me, yesterday, actually, but after everything that happened I kind of forgot about it."

"A spying spell?" Lonna asked, skeptically. "Give it here."

Since Melissa was still holding onto the spell, she simply lifted the parchment up for Lonna to take. Lonna did so, taking it somewhat brusquely and unfolding the parchment.

Scanning the spell, Lonna turned the square of paper from side to side. As she did so, the annoyed scowl slipped from her face, replaced by a look of abject horror.

Finally, after returning the parchment to its original position, Lonna slammed the spell against the door. The topmost symbol on the circle lit up, as she did so, the light traveling through the circle of ink to ignite every other symbol on the page. When the last symbol lit up, and the circle completed, there was a flash of light so bright that Melissa was forced to look away.

This process repeated itself four more times, before Lonna eventually folded up the paper, and put it in her pouch. "That tree-forsaken…" Lonna muttered to herself. "She better not have been spying on me last night, or… branch and root, I'll kill her myself!"

"What happened last night?" Joanie asked, curious.

"None of your business," Lonna snapped, before seeming to think better of it. "I mean… It was something personal, is all." Melissa was sure of it, this time: Lonna was blushing.

Melissa decided not to comment on it, though, since she was blushing, too. She'd just realized that Sorissa might have seen their kiss.

"Well," Lonna declared, "now that that little issue is taken care of - shall we go see what the countess wants?"

"Taken care of?" Melissa repeated, barely able to believe what she was hearing. "Isn't it really bad if Sorissa was spying on us this whole time? Like. Won't she know what we're after? And where we are right now? And… Everything?"

"You don't need to tell me what it means," Lonna grumbled, glaring at Melissa. "If this is real, every bit of freedom I've ever had was just some sick joke from Sorissa. When I think about the fact that she might have been watching me, all this time… It makes my skin crawl. It makes it feel like everything I've ever done was just some bit of naughtiness Sorissa let me get away with… Which is why I don't believe for a second that this so-called spying spell spell is real. I mean, I've never even heard of a spell like that, before, and some woman you randomly met happened to know of it? No way."

"Then why'd you cast the spell?" Melissa asked, confused.

"Because it's harmless to take precautions," Lonna told her. "...I mean, as long as you didn't pay for it. You didn't pay for that, did you?"

"I didn't pay for it," Melissa confirmed. "She uh. Also said it's only good for a day? So you'll need to recast it tomorrow."

"Hah. You'll be lucky if I'm not taking this spell out hourly. The idea of being watched is so horrifying I want to crawl in a hole and die. But if Sorissa could spy on me, there's no way any of us would be free right now. So it's probably fine."

"I… Guess that makes sense," Melissa admitted, idly tugging at the hair she'd wrapped around her finger. "Clatarra seemed pretty convincing, though."

"Uh-huh. Well, I'll say this much - the spellcraft on this thing is good. I saw runes from the sapphi, the lamia, the magi, and the dragons on this thing. Not that I know what most of them mean, but… Just looking at it, it's practically on par with Sorissa's work. Are you sure the girl who did this was just a tailor's daughter?"

"Pretty sure, yeah," Melissa confirmed. "I mean, the only reason she even did this was so that I'd let her take my measurements."

"...Seriously?" Lonna shook her head. "Well, whatever. A polished turd is still crap, in the end. Now come on, the countess is waiting."

Lonna smiled brightly as she spoke, but Melissa couldn't help but notice Lonna's hand slipping back into the pouch. Melissa pretended not to see the flash of light that emanated from Lonna's bag right after, though.

Caught back up on this. Lonna's sweet. Sorissa's an asshat. Yes, still murder. Woman has fun making everyone homicidally hateful of her so she can 'join her loved ones.' Bitch, you could have been not unapologetically evil and instead trusted/convinced people to euthanize you—but nooo. Rampant kidnapping, torture, mindbreak, murder.

rip Lonna, that is some bloodline to be a part of.

Thanks for writing!

Chapter 14
Countess Liliath rose as Lonna entered her study. The instant after the countess left the chair, before the backs of her knees could strike against the wood, the maid smoothly pulled the large seat back. Melissa could tell that the maid must have practiced that maneuver countless times to achieve such precise timing. By rising like that, Liliath showed her respect for Lonna's station while simultaneously broadcasting her tight control over this manor.

"Princess Lonna," Liliath murmured, bowing her head. "Melissa, the heroine." Liliath gave Melissa a small nod, and a smile of encouragement, before turning her attention to the final member of their party. "And of course the princess's…. bodyguard?"

"He wishes," Lonna muttered, crossing her arms in front of her chest. "He's my brother."

"Your brother," Liliath repeated. Her voice was flat as an ironing board, and Melissa couldn't help but notice that the countess was looking over Talith more carefully now. "Adopted, I assume?"

"That's right," Lonna confirmed, narrowing her eyes. "Is that a problem?"

"Of course not," Liliath denied. "But you must realize that being family to a princess is no small matter. People will no doubt try to use your brother to get to you after you've taken charge. Are you prepared for that?"

"I'm not prepared for any of this," Lonna told her, scowling. "I haven't dealt with nobles since I was thirteen."

"The basics have remained the same, I assure you," Liliath replied, answering Lonna's scowl with a faint smile. "And if you need help reacclimating to nobility, I would be proud to give you some lessons. But I fear all that will have to wait until after you've taken the throne."

"...Sorissa knows we're here. Doesn't she?" Despite phrasing it as a question, there was no doubt on Lonna's face. "When is she coming? Or is she just sending her army?"

"Actually, Sorissa hasn't said a thing about you," Liliath said. Despite those words, there was a faint frown on the countess's lips. "Officially she's sending a small envoy to Dorith, and she's simply requested that I house them for a day or two before sending them on their way. But I doubt there's a soul in the city who doesn't know you're here. Once they arrive, they'll ask about the rumors of your presence, and from there, an investigation will be launched."

"Will you be alright?" Melissa asked, unable to keep the worry from her voice.

"I'll be fine," Liliath promised, turning her gaze to Melissa. "It's hardly illegal to meet with the princess of one's queendom. It's not as if Lonna was ever officially declared a rebel and a traitor, after all."

That was news to Melissa, who shot a glance toward Lonna. The glower on the other woman's face was enough to discourage her from asking any questions, though.

"How long do we have?" Melissa asked, turning her attention to Liliath instead. "Until we have to leave, I mean."

"The sooner you're gone the better, alas," Liliath admitted. "In fact, I'm hoping to have you out within the hour. I called you here to settle the last few details before you leave."

"Details like what?" Talith asked, stepping forward to stand next to Lonna. His brow was furrowed, and the sockets that housed his glowing red eyes were narrowed in suspicion.

"It's nothing you need to concern yourself with," Liliath promised. "Certainly nothing that would cause your sister harm. Or Melissa, of course." Liliath gave Melissa a small smile of encouragement at the end, but it didn't do anything to help with Melissa's nerves.

"Then what?" Lonna pressed, placing her hands on Liliath's desk. "Sorissa's people could be coming at any moment. She probably sent them right after the messenger. So tell me - what's worth risking everything for?"

"It would seem that you're in a bad mood," Liliath commented, apparently unphased by Lonna's ferocity. "Should I ask what happened?"

"Maybe it has something to do with your maid," Talith muttered, pointing a thick finger toward the brunette woman standing behind Liliath. It was the same woman who'd attended Liliath during their first visit. So far she'd attended to her mistress with a serene smile on her lips, but when Talith pointed her out she paled.

Countess Liliath lifted an eyebrow at the accusation, looking between Lonna, Talith, and the maid. "I invited Tabitha to serve me today because I understood she had a positive relationship with Princess Lonna. If that is not the case, then I can certainly request a different maid."

"It's fine," Lonna insisted, shaking her head. "If Sorissa's people are on the way, we don't have time to spare on stuff like this. You should have had me halfway out the door the moment you got that message from her."

"An abundance of caution is better than none, but too much and you'll simply wear yourself out," Liliath warned Lonna, frowning. "I sincerely doubt Sorissa wants you captured. Unless you think it's merely an oversight that's kept her from putting a bounty on you all these years?"

"But she did put out posters for Melissa," Lonna pointed out. "And everyone in town knows you're holding her. Unless you have a way of wriggling out from under that accusation, too?"

"I'll simply say I remanded her to the custody of the princess."

"And they'll believe that?" Melissa asked, incredulous.

"Of course not," Lonna scoffed, pushing up off the desk and crossing her arms again. "...But it's a good excuse. And even Sorissa can't afford to press the countess too far. Isn't that right, countess?"

"More or less," Liliath agreed. "I have the support of my people, and control over the seaport. Sorissa will need to carefully consider how far she's willing to press me - though there's always the risk that she'll simply kill me and be done with it."

"Which makes me question again what's so important," Lonna said, turning her gaze back to Liliath. "Why are we here and not fleeing the city?"

"You're here for this," Liliath replied, opening a drawer in her desk and pulling out a small wooden box. Removing the lid, Liliath lifted a small glass orb from the box. "I trust you know what this is, princess?"

Lonna studied the orb, seeming confused at first. Melissa could tell the exact moment that recognition dawned on her, though; a small smile appeared on Lonna's lips, but it disappeared quickly.

"Yeah, I recognize it," Lonna confirmed. "It's a breathstone."

"Correct," Liliath confirmed, before turning her eyes toward Melissa. "There's a spell inscribed upon it - you see, here?" Liliath tapped her thumb against an etched design, featuring several runes bisected by a circle. "All you need do is touch the inscription, while I hold the orb. It will probe your breath capacity and light up relative to your total potential."

"Breath capacity refers to how much magic you can wield," Lonna translated. "The more magic you can wield, the brighter the thing gets. Commoners usually get it done in a church, but generally only once, when they turn thirteen."

"So I'll finally find out my capacity?" Melissa asked, excited. The idea of magic had always been enticing to her, even back in her own world. Spells that let you transform, magical swords that let you fight to protect what was right, enchanted shields that would defend against injustice. A lot of it had been nothing more than childhood fantasy, looking back at it, but she still wanted to know the real deal. If not for the dire circumstances of her summoning, she would have immersed herself in studying magic first thing.

"That's the idea," Liliath confirmed, holding out the orb. "Just place your finger within the circle, and we'll know what we have to work with."

Melissa nodded eagerly, reaching out to press her finger against the smooth surface of the glass orb. It was warm beneath her finger, and she imagined that she could feel the power pulsing within it.

"Ready when you are," Melissa declared, grinning up at Liliath.

Liliath didn't answer. Her eyes were focused purely on the orb, and there was a faint frown on her lips. After a long moment, she let out a small sigh. "Exactly what I was afraid of…"

"What you were… What do you mean?" Melissa asked, worried. Even as she asked the question, though, the gears were already turning in her head. The frown on Liliath's face. The faint rumbling sigh that emanated from Talith as he looked on. The way Lonna was glaring daggers at the glass ball as if it had personally offended her. And the orb itself, as dim as ever.

"...I don't have any magic, do I?" Melissa whispered, softly.

"...I'm afraid not," Liliath confirmed. Her tone was gentle, and she showed no trace of the disappointment Melissa herself was feeling. "It's a setback, but nothing that can't be overcome."

"Wait, wait, wait," Lonna protested, holding up a hand. "Not that I don't trust you, but there's no way that the heroine has no magic. I mean… she's the heroine."

"A position we know nearly nothing about," Liliath countered. "The only thing we know is that the heroine is destined to kill Sorissa. If she doesn't have magic, we must assume that she'll find some other way of accomplishing the feat."

"But… No magic at all?" Lonna's eyes shifted from the countess to Melissa, who was still staring at the orb. Seeing the forlorn expression on Melissa's face, Lonna's own countenance hardened, and she reached out to snatch the orb from the countess.

"Here, one more time," she insisted, holding it out to Melissa. "I'll be the one activating it this time"

"Now who's wasting time?" Liliath demanded, rolling her eyes. She did not try to take the orb back, though, instead gesturing for them to continue.

Melissa hesitated a moment, then slowly reached out to tap her finger against the orb once more.

There was no response.

"...It's gotta be broken," Lonna insisted, next, shifting her own thumb to touch the circle. Instantly, the room was bathed in light so bright that Melissa's eyes began to tear. She squeezed them shut, but it still felt as if the glow was penetrating her eyelids.

A loud crack ended the light show, and when Melissa blinked the spots from her eyes she saw that the orb had broken apart into three distinct pieces.

"If you're quite finished breaking valuable magic tools," the countess murmured, "perhaps we can turn our attention toward viable solutions, instead?"

"Solutions like what?" Lonna demanded, placing the broken orb on the Countess's desk. "How is Melissa supposed to face the most powerful being in the world when she can't even use magic?"

"With cunning, strength, and a good weapon," Liliath answered, calmly, before turning her attention to Melissa. "I have not asked after Lonna's specific plans, because it is for the best that I do not know them. But I assume that training you in weaponry is among them, no?"

"I… Guess so?" Melissa floundered, glancing at Lonna. There was definitely talk about a legendary weapon, but they hadn't really discussed how Melissa would learn to use it.

"Talith can teach Melissa how to fight," Lonna interceded, gesturing to her brother.

Talith's eyes widened faintly in surprise as if this was news to him, but he quickly covered his surprise and let out a small grunt of affirmation. Crossing his arms in front of him, he looked to Melissa as if he were daring Liliath to argue with his qualifications.

"I'm sure he can fight," Liliath admitted, shooting Talith a quick glance before turning her attention to Lonna. "But it seems to me that your brother shaped his body with an eye toward brute force."

"And so what if I did?" Talith demanded, lowering his hands to the ground in order to swing his body forward, a step closer toward the countess.

"Can you wield a sword?" Liliath asked, turning her gaze to Talith. "Or a spear? Without snapping it?"

"...Not exactly…" Talith confessed, in a low grumble. If Talith had teeth, Melissa thought he'd be grinding them together with that answer. "But I know the right grips, and I make for a durable sparring partner."

"But you can't actually show her those grips, can you?" Liliath pressed, narrowing her eyes. "And even if you could, your form is hardly suited for showing her proper stances."

"Do you have a point?" Lonna demanded, placing her hands on her hips and glaring at the countess.

"I do, actually." The countess met Lonna's harsh gaze with a small smile. "I want you to take one of my guards with you. Her name is Joanie - I believe you're already acquainted with her, Melissa?" Liliath's eyes didn't waver from Lonna's as she spoke, even as she brought up the heroine's name.

"You mean the rabbit sapphi?" Melissa asked. "Wait. Is that why you've had her guarding me?"

"You've been planning this all along, haven't you?" Lonna accused, pointing a finger toward the countess.

"I have," the countess confessed. She was still smiling, but there seemed to be an edge to it now as if it were merely an excuse to bare her teeth. "Even before our first meeting, actually - from the moment I saw you walking up the path to my manor. I could tell at a glance that our heroine wasn't a warrior. And it's become more and more obvious that neither of you has the right temperament or ability to teach her how to fight." She turned her gaze toward Melissa, and her smile seemed to soften a little. "You have a sharp mind, Melissa, and a strong build. There's a lot you can accomplish if you have the right teacher. You might learn to take down opponents even your friend Talith can't beat."

"And you think Joanie can teach me?" Melissa asked. Lonna looked like she wanted to say something, but kept her mouth shut after a single glance at Melissa. Perhaps because of the resolute look on the heroine's face.

Despite the confidence that she'd shown throughout the meeting, Liliath seemed to hesitate here. "...She's the most accomplished master I have at my disposal," was what she eventually said, but her eyes didn't quite meet Melissa's.

"What aren't you telling me?" Melissa demanded, trying to catch Liliath's gaze again.

The countess hesitated a moment more, and then let out a small sigh, shaking her head softly. "Joanie can teach you how to wield any weapon you can imagine. She's shown so much natural talent that it's almost maddening - the sword, the lance, the bow, even a bladed fan - I had her trained in each, and she mastered them all."

"So what's the problem?" Melissa inquired, tilting her head to the side. So far, Joanie sounded like the best teacher she could ask for, but all the same, something was making Liliath hesitate.

"She only learned those weapons so that I'd stop insisting she train in them. When it comes to actual combat, she's infuriatingly stubborn in her weapon of choice. No matter what the situation, she'll only enter combat with… Lucinda."

"Lucinda?" Lonna interjected, arching an eyebrow. "Who or what is Lucinda?"

"That's what she calls her spear," Melissa replied, recalling the conversation she had with Joanie. "Is that why you're so hesitant? Because she's so attached to her spear?"

"Attached doesn't even begin to describe it," Liliath warned. "She held a commoner's handfasting with it."

Lonna let out a short bark of laughter at that, and even Talith chuckled a little. Melissa, however, only frowned.

"A commoner's handfasting?" Melissa, she echoed back. "That's like marriage, right?"

"It's a type of marriage, yes," Liliath confirmed. "It's not legally binding, like the contracts we nobles use for our handfasting arrangements. There's rarely even a written record of the event. But in the eyes of the majesty trees, it's quite sacred. Joanie truly has married herself to that weapon."

"If that's all it is, I don't have a problem with it," Melissa promised, idly wrapping a strand of hair about her index finger. "No offense to Talith, but I might learn faster with someone who can show me what to do."

"I'm not convinced," Talith protested. "This whole mission is insane enough already, we don't need a branch with loose leaves."

"That's quite the harsh evaluation," Liliath remarked, arching a thin blonde eyebrow at Talith. "But if you have a problem with my judgment, you're certainly free to pick among my guards for yourself."

"But we're bringing someone with us no matter what, right?" Lonna said, narrowing her eyes at the countess.

The right corner of Liliath's lips pulled ever so slightly upward in response, but she didn't say a word.

"I think it's fine," Melissa declared, deciding to interrupt before things could get more heated.

The interjection caused Lonna's eyes to widen in surprise. Her lips pressed against each other to form a thin line, and it was obvious she wasn't thrilled about Melissa interfering, but she only nodded for Melissa to continue.

"I like Joanie," Melissa explained. "She's sort of… weird, I admit. But I have a good feeling about her. And I trust Liliath."

"Wonderful," Liliath declared, even as Lonna opened her mouth to argue. "If the heroine is on board then I see no further need to delay here. Joanie is waiting for you in front of the manor, alongside your horses. I took the liberty of providing you with some supplies, money, and a few good weapons - I'm sure you'll find everything in order when you make camp tonight."

"Just like that?" Lonna complained. "You get what you want and we're out the door?"

"You were the one who pointed out how tight time is, Princess Lonna," Liliath reminded her. "We have no way of knowing when Sorissa's people will arrive. And I'd rather not have to rush you out the back door."

"...Fine. We're leaving." Lonna spun on her heel with those words, practically stomping her way toward the door.

"Oh, but I do have something to discuss with Melissa," Liliath added, just as Lonna was pulling open the door. "I trust you won't mind if she stays behind a few minutes?"

"Discuss whatever you want," Lonna snapped back. "I clearly have nothing to contribute, anyways."

Lonna was out the door before the countess could argue. Talith hesitated a moment, then silently moved to walk out the door as well, closing the door behind him.

"...Why are you being so mean to Lonna?" Melissa asked the moment she and the countess were alone.

"Because she's the princess," Liliath responded as if it were the most obvious answer in the world. "She is going to be in charge of all of Resperan. With luck, she may even reunite Auroris as a whole."

"And that makes it a good idea to get on her bad side?" Melissa asked, confused and more than a little exasperated. "Is it because Sorissa's her mom? Or because she's half-dragon? Because neither of those things is her fault."

"None of this is her fault," Liliath agreed, softly. "But all of it is on her shoulders. She is the only one who can unite this broken world. The only one who can fix things."

"Then why are you so mean to her?" Melissa asked, again, stepping closer to the desk. She placed her hands on the cool wood, wrapping her thumbs about the edge of the desk and tightly squeezing. "Even if you hate her, for whatever stupid reason, shouldn't you be trying to get on her good side?"

"I don't hate her," Liliath said, laughing softly. "I don't even judge her. As you said, her parentage is hardly her fault."

"Then why?" Melissa asked, for the third time, staring into Liliath's green eyes.

The countess returned the gaze without flinching, a sad smile on her lips. "Because she can't let it get to her."

"What do you mean?"

"Exactly what I said," Liliath said, sighing. "Her role is to be the queen of our continent. Her duty is to heal our broken world. It's a hard, harsh task that lies before her. One that she never asked for. One that she's imminently unqualified for. And one that will set her against people far crueler than I. She needs to learn how to control her temper, or she'll never succeed."

"So… what? You were testing her?" Melissa asked. "...Did she pass?"

"She did not," Liliath confessed, with a sad shake of her head. "But she didn't fail, either. She simply has a long way to go. And you, I fear, are the only one who can take her there."

"...Me?" Melissa demanded, nonplussed. "What do you mean? What am I supposed to do?"

"Be with her," Liliath answered, softly. "Even if it's only as her friend. That girl needs to feel like there's someone truly in her corner."

"Then why couldn't it be you?" Melissa asked. "If you were nicer to her, then-"

"My job is not to be nice to royalty," Liliath interrupted. "My job is to watch out for my people. To that end, I am willing to use her, abuse her, or even betray her - whatever it takes. Something she understands."

Melissa opened her mouth to protest, but then closed it, unsure what to say. Liliath's gaze softened faintly in response, and when she spoke next it was in a softer tone.

"The princess needs you, Melissa. She needs someone in her life who's there from choice, and affection, rather than necessity or political guile."

"She has Talith for that, though," Melissa pointed out.

Liliath just shook her head. "The sort of love she craves is not something a sibling can provide."

"...Oh." Melissa wrapped another strand of hair around her finger, giving it a nervous tug. "And if I can't give her what she needs, either?"

"Then we might have nearly as much trouble with our next queen as our current one," Liliath warned. "But I didn't ask you to stay behind so that I could talk about Lonna. I wanted to talk about you."

Melissa gestured to herself, blinking in surprise, and the countess nodded with a faint smile.

"You're disappointed about not having magic, aren't you?" she asked, cutting straight to the point.

"...A little," Melissa admitted, surprised at the question. "I mean. I didn't even think magic was real a few days ago, and now it is - but I still can't use it."

"And on top of that," Liliath added, "you have to fight someone who can. It must be quite distressing."

"...I don't suppose you asked me to stay because you have a way around it?" Melissa asked, a faintly bitter smile on her lips.

As expected, the countess gave another shake of her head. "I do not."

"Then… Then what am I supposed to do?" Melissa asked, her voice barely a whisper. "How am I supposed to win?"

"By entrusting your all to those who have put their faith in you," Liliath responded, pulling open a drawer to her desk. She pulled out a dagger with a silver hilt and a pure black sheath. When she turned the hilt toward Melissa, Melissa noticed the inscription of a kraken on the pommel.

"This blade bears my family crest," Liliath explained, speaking softly. "By carrying it with you, you'll be making your connection to me official. Simply revealing it will be enough to prove that you have the backing of my house."

"Isn't that dangerous?" Melissa protested. "The queen-"

"Will likely have me locked up, depending on the scenario in which this comes into play," Liliath admitted. "Perhaps worse. But if your need is ever great enough, I want you to have the option."

Melissa stared at the blade for a long moment. "Why are you so nice to me?" she asked, at last, turning her eyes from the blade to the woman who offered it.

"Because the fate of my world lies in your hands," Liliath replied, meeting Melissa's gaze. "It doesn't belong in them. This is our problem, which you simply got drawn into. Yet here you are, all the same, with our burden in your hands."

Melissa stared at the dagger for a long moment, before finally reaching out to take it. "Thank you. I still think you should be nicer to Lonna, though. If she's really going to be queen one day, then she's going to need people around her who she can trust - people who know how politics work."

"I'm aware of that, yes," Liliath agreed. "Have I done something to make her distrust me?"

"It doesn't matter if she trusts you if she can't stand being around you."

"...I'll keep that in mind," Countess Liliath murmured, after a long moment.

Melissa nodded, slowly, before turning toward the door and the princess on the other side.

Chapter 15 is still getting edited, so it'll be a while until the next post - might share my last bit of artwork in the meantime. It's a sketch of Joanie, but I did my best to ink it in and color it. (The inking it in part was the problem.)

Just caught up and loving it! Melissa's cracking was brief and to the point which was enjoyable, it gets some of the denial angst outta the way after we've seen enough to establish she hadn't figured out she was trans yet... Speaking of having this world have a word for being trans is some nice worldbuilding, a touch you didn't need to include but it made the story richer for it. Also, having Melissa be open about how she's feeling in most situations to fix misunderstandings quickly is a nice character trait to include, and maybe I'm protecting but those bits of forgetfulness make me wonder if she's got a touch of ADHD as well cause the way you phase it in her thoughts is quite relatable...

Just caught up and loving it! Melissa's cracking was brief and to the point which was enjoyable, it gets some of the denial angst outta the way after we've seen enough to establish she hadn't figured out she was trans yet... Speaking of having this world have a word for being trans is some nice worldbuilding, a touch you didn't need to include but it made the story richer for it. Also, having Melissa be open about how she's feeling in most situations to fix misunderstandings quickly is a nice character trait to include, and maybe I'm protecting but those bits of forgetfulness make me wonder if she's got a touch of ADHD as well cause the way you phase it in her thoughts is quite relatable...

Glad you're enjoying!

In my mind, the word Wataba isn't 1:1 with trans, but it's certainly related! The text will eventually explain it more, so I'm not sure whether it's appropriate to get into it, but the world of Mistina views gender a bit differently than we do?

As far as ADHD goes... Well, I don't know about Melissa, but I'm ADHD, and I think it's one of those things that leak through into your characters.

Back