Gundam Quest [Title Pending]

So this quest came to me after watching Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans, and well I ended up hitting a bit of writers block in my previous quest. The main influence for the quest would be the 08th​ MS Team, and the film Fury.

While Mars is the main setting of IBO, this quest will be an entirely original work that has no connection to the current running anime so don't really expect any characters to show up, but that doesn't mean you won't see familiar faces.

The basic outline of my setting is that Mars has gone from a small insurgency to exploding into a full scale rebellion pushing Earths' forces to the last remaining mass driver in the territory that they control. The player character is a rookie pilot in the Interplanetary Expedition Forces (IEF) shipped to hold off the encroaching martian rebellion while SIGurD attempts to ensure a number of projects are secured from enemy hands.

Earth Federation
Governing bodies
  • PASC (Pan-American Space Coalition)
  • EUREG (EuroRussian Economic Group)
  • ISJD (Imperial Sino-Japanese Dominion)

Military/Intelligence
  • IEF (Interplanetary Expedition Force)
  • SIGurD (Special Intelligence Division)
  • IOFSX (International Organization for Space Exploration)

Red Stone Monarchy
Governing body
  • High King Mikhael Sakala
  • Lady Camila Sakala nee Kouri
  • Princess Aila Sakala

Military/Intelligence
  • ARM (Aresian Royal Miltia)
  • GCMA (Glorious Civilian Martyrs Army)
  • TSSF (Tharsis Special Strike Forces)

As for the player character. They can be of either gender, and their appearance is entirely in the hands of the player. He has no set personality, and the choices you make will determine how the world views you.

Additonally, in the beginning of the quest you don't have any real choice in the matter of what Mobile Suit you pilot. The suits will be from the UC timeline from the late 70's to early 80's. But, depending on how well you handle yourself you can end up getting higher class suits, and possibly end up a test pilot.

A majority of your actions will be determined by dice rolls. Your stats and traits will modify how well or poorly you do on a roll. Rolls work on an adversarial system, with the higher roll determining the victor.

Piloting: How well you handle your Mobile Suit.
  • Transitioning into a new Mobile Suit places a penalty towards this stat
  • Cutting edge units have an additional penalty stacked on
  • Familiarity gives a bonus towards the stat
  • The stat can be raised by piloting in simulators
Perception: How well you interpret the world around you.
  • The more you pilot, the higher it gets
  • The stat can be raised by simulators
  • Negative status effects affect your perception (Drunk, Fearful, Shell-Shocked)
Respect: How people view you as a pilot and person.
  • Becoming an ace has benefits
  • Gain friends who can help you in battle
  • Enemies who will hunt you to their last breath
Luck: Well everybody at least needs some of it to survive.
  • Depends greatly on the environment you're in
  • Drunk night on the town has a lower requirement of success when luck stat is activated
  • In the heat of battle has a higher requirement of success when activated

This is largely what I got so far. I'm still working on a number of things to fill out, but it would be great to get some opening feedback.

Largely the timeline still isn't set, but I was thinking of setting it in the mid-2200's as I build up how Earth expanded into space. How all the factions came to power. And, where the split between Earth and Mars happened.

Last edited:
I can actually accept a Sino-Japanese alliance in the future - putting aside historical differences, there are geopolitical incentives for both states to actually work with each other if they can get past their chain of spite - but I am at least a little amused as to how they have become an "imperial dominion". I don't want to discourage you from it if you have something in mind, but I would caution that casting the world beyond North America and Western Europe as places prone to falling into some sort of dictatorship or empire - thus with the implication that North America and Western Europe are the great bastions of capitalism and democracy while everywhere else is backwards and regressive - is a pretty common Euro-American-centric trope that can be a bit troubling if you don't pull it off right. ^_^;

I'm sort of curious as to how "Special Intelligence Division" managed to become "SIGurD", unless the explanation was "the budgeting office required a cool acronym to ratify it". ^_^;

Lastly, I wonder what sort of themes you're aiming for, and it is with that question that I regard Mars with a bit of wariness. While I accept that having a space aristocracy is a very common theme in Gundam and other shows derived from it (such as Aldnoah.Zero), I profess a degree of caution when you have groups in the Martian faction that include the "Glorious Civilian Martyrs Army", which sounds like something that came out of North Korea and indicates to me that you are not aiming for a Gray Versus Grey conflict. This itself is okay, but I would be cautious about how far you take it if the Red Stone Monarchy is basically supposed to be Space Nazis; you'd certainly be taking inspiration from the Principality of Zeon, but I suppose that would also take away from the nuance from which you might be able to portray this conflict. ^_^;

I think SB has a dice rolling app built in. If you'd like some help with the game mechanics I'd be willing to lend some aid. Also, I'd totally be down to play.

I think SB has a dice rolling app built in. If you'd like some help with the game mechanics I'd be willing to lend some aid. Also, I'd totally be down to play.

Thanks, right now I'm going to be going back to rebuilding some of the setting after looking at the criticisms of @Kei. I do want to keep it Grey vs. Grey, but I overcompensated a little bit because I didn't want people to jump to the other side right away.

Really what I want to portray is that Mars has a number of valid justifications for wanting to break away. Whether its a series of surveillance system that makes the NSA's mouth water. Mass incarceration was used as a means of disenfranchising a number of people on Mars. And, Megacorps have basically flocked to the planet because health, environmental, and business regulations concerning non-earth planets hasn't caught up with society.

Back to the drawing board.

Thanks, right now I'm going to be going back to rebuilding some of the setting after looking at the criticisms of @Kei. I do want to keep it Grey vs. Grey, but I overcompensated a little bit because I didn't want people to jump to the other side right away.

Really what I want to portray is that Mars has a number of valid justifications for wanting to break away. Whether its a series of surveillance system that makes the NSA's mouth water. Mass incarceration was used as a means of disenfranchising a number of people on Mars. And, Megacorps have basically flocked to the planet because health, environmental, and business regulations concerning non-earth planets hasn't caught up with society.

Back to the drawing board.

Cool. I have stuff going on tonight, but if you need some help just hit me up. Especially for the crunch.

I'm thinking about changing Mars faction now that I thought about it. Prince/princesses and monarchies seems done far too much.

NMR (New Mars Republic)

A theme I want to build throughout all the leader of the organizations is that power corrupts.

Sakala is a retired colonel from the IEF and was one of the founding members of the Republic.

During the early days of the insurgency it often got routed, and was on its last legs. As a result the founding members thrust him in the role of Emergency Appointed Dictator as a means of giving him free reign to direct all the resources of the fledgling republic for the war effort and unify the insurgency under one command.

I'm thinking about changing Mars faction now that I thought about it. Prince/princesses and monarchies seems done far too much.

NMR (New Mars Republic)

A theme I want to build throughout all the leader of the organizations is that power corrupts.

Sakala is a retired colonel from the IEF and was one of the founding members of the Republic.

During the early days of the insurgency it often got routed, and was on its last legs. As a result the founding members thrust him in the role of Emergency Appointed Dictator as a means of giving him free reign to direct all the resources of the fledgling republic for the war effort and unify the insurgency under one command.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Monarchies in Sci-Fi are so over played.

I can actually accept a Sino-Japanese alliance in the future - putting aside historical differences, there are geopolitical incentives for both states to actually work with each other if they can get past their chain of spite - but I am at least a little amused as to how they have become an "imperial dominion". I don't want to discourage you from it if you have something in mind, but I would caution that casting the world beyond North America and Western Europe as places prone to falling into some sort of dictatorship or empire - thus with the implication that North America and Western Europe are the great bastions of capitalism and democracy while everywhere else is backwards and regressive - is a pretty common Euro-American-centric trope that can be a bit troubling if you don't pull it off right. ^_^;
I find this a little amusing, given that there's nothing saying that another area being a dictatorship or a empire can't still inherently be a better place to live then America or Europe. It depends how the nation itself is presented.

Back