Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Saw the film earlier today, I thought it was good, not as good as GOTG 1 or 2 though.

High Evolutionary was one of the better MCU villain's in my opinion.

However, I hated how in the film, they didn't have the old Gamora come back somehow, or have the alternate version of Gamora gain the memories and experiences of her counterpart with help from Adam Warlock, who in the comics I believe does have powers tied into the Soul Stone.

The MCU as of late, has a lot of couples not getting happy endings, first it was Wanda with Vision, next it was Peter Parker and MJ, then it was Thor and Jane Foster. Can they not have one couple have a happy ending, plus the Peter/Gamora romance was one of my favourites in the entire MCU. That brings the film down a mark or two for me.

I give GOTG Vol 3 a 7 out of 10.

I feel that's a complete misunderstanding of Gamora and Quill's relationship.

The entire movie is about how this Gamora isn't the one from the old ones. Getting her back would very much undercut Infinity War's high points. The movie ends with Quill realizing that he has to let go, and matures from that, what with handing the reins to Rocket as leader of the Guardians, and Gamora having her own family with the Reavers.

I do think Warlock is a bit underused though.

The entire movie is about how this Gamora isn't the one from the old ones. Getting her back would very much undercut Infinity War's high points. The movie ends with Quill realizing that he has to let go, and matures from that, what with handing the reins to Rocket as leader of the Guardians, and Gamora having her own family with the Reavers.

Eh,
Gamora's death in Infinity War was more of a loew point than a high point.

I like what GOTG3 did with Gamora, but it was very much a "Making the best of something bad" situation

Ravagers not Reavers.

I disagree, what happened to Gamora in Infinity War, was a real low point, she was fridged, what Thanos did then, it wasn't love like the movie claimed.

They should've had the original Gamora come back and get back together with Quill, I would've liked to have seen that undercut from Infinity War.

Eh,
Gamora's death in Infinity War was more of a loew point than a high point.

I like what GOTG3 did with Gamora, but it was very much a "Making the best of something bad" situation
Yeah, it was a real low point in the film.

Should've just had the original Gamora brought back somehow, from what I've seen on Twitter, it's what fans wanted to see happen in GOTG Vol 3.

To me, this movie marks "the return of the MCU". This was great.

Phase 4 as a whole has been resounding... meh? A few gems, a few absolute trash, most just... fine. I think this will overtake No Way Home as my #1 of Phase 4, and is absolutely up with the best of the MCU period.

(I don't get the hate for Ant-Man... it was #3 on my list after Spiderman and Dr. Strange, moved to #4 after Guardians.)

I kind of love and hate Marvel for making me feel genuine emotions about a talking Racoon.

High Evolutionary was a good villain. Tied into a personal story for characters, some history established, and also tied into the theme of the movie well.

A small gripe is one i've shared with a few Phase 4 movies now is the lack of apparent connection to the Meta story. For me, that connectivity has been the best part of Marvel, and something that Phase 4 seems to be hit or miss on. Hell we only got introduced to Kang on the big screen in the previous movie! In this case, the movie was so good that I can ignore it.

I thought box office numbers remained strong even in the recession 15 years ago? IIRC, it was all the numbers on the production side (employment, production budgets, financing, etc.) that dropped.

Box Office is down just in general, we didn't have streaming 15 years ago like we do now.

People are already paying for streaming services and these movies tend to end up on them fairly quickly nowadays.

Should've just had the original Gamora brought back somehow, from what I've seen on Twitter, it's what fans wanted to see happen in GOTG Vol 3.

I'm usually all about fan service, but... no. That just cheapens everything. It makes the whole thing pointless.

Old Gamora is gone. Quill still has a chance with New Gamora, but they have to do it again.

Last edited:
To me, this movie marks "the return of the MCU". This was great.

Phase 4 as a whole has been resounding... meh? A few gems, a few absolute trash, most just... fine. I think this will overtake No Way Home as my #1 of Phase 4, and is absolutely up with the best of the MCU period.
Phase 4 ended with BP2. This and Ant-Man are Phase 5

Which I think is utterly insane, because it last like a year and a bit compared to how long it took Phase 1-3.

Phase 4 ended with BP2. This and Ant-Man are Phase 5

Oh I wasn't aware. I thought they did Phases based on Avengers movies.

I take it back then, Phase 5 is off to a pretty great start. Phase 4 was mostly a dude.

Which I think is utterly insane, because it last like a year and a bit compared to how long it took Phase 1-3.

Yeah but in all fairness, Phase 4 is the largest by hours, adding in the Disney+ shows. Phase 4 started with Black Widow though I believe in 2020 so it's been like.. 2 and half years.

Phase 4 was an absolute mess... with like... Multiverse you say? That's gonna be a big deal, right? For two movies. And then oh hey Elaine from Seinfeld is doing. A thing. Oh hey Kang was on a show.

Since I was thinking of Phase 4, note on GOTG 3 I just thought of
I really hope Rocket ACTUALLY saw Lyla, Teefs and Floor. We know at least a couple afterlifes exist.

Just because. Damn was that all sad.

variety.com

Box Office: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’ Stays Strong (For a Superhero Movie) With $60.5 Million, ‘Book Club 2’ Misses Mark

Disney’s “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3″ was victorious again at the domestic box office, adding $60.5 million in its second weekend of release. Ticket sales dropped by 49% from its de…
Ticket sales dropped by 49% from its debut, marking an impressive hold… at least for a superhero movie. Across more than 30 Marvel entries, only "Black Panther" (45%) and "Thor" (47%) have had stronger second weekend holds. By comparison, recent Marvel movies such as "Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania," "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness" and "Thor: Love and Thunder" declined by nearly 70% in their sophomore outings.

... In more good news, the pic crossed the $200 million mark domestically to finish Sunday with a cume of $213.2 million.

Overseas, "Guardians 3" took in another $91.9 million from 52 markets for a foreign tally of $315.6 million — including a pleasing $58.4 million from China — and $528.8 million globally.

Good word of mouth is important for these movies, Ant Man 3 had bad word of mouth, so it sank like a stone, whereas Guardians 3 had great word of mouth, and has stayed strong.

Ravagers not Reavers.

I disagree, what happened to Gamora in Infinity War, was a real low point, she was fridged, what Thanos did then, it wasn't love like the movie claimed.

They should've had the original Gamora come back and get back together with Quill, I would've liked to have seen that undercut from Infinity War.

That's not fridging - fridging is not "female character is killed", it's "(traditionally female) close to the protagonist is brutally murdered by the villain so as to motivate the hero on a vengeance quest".

The plot of Infinity War isn't about Quill avenging Thanos' killing of Gamora - he finds out he killed her like 2/3rds through the movie, and while it's definitely a dramatic turning point it's not like the singular moment which defines his entire arc, and Gamora is a fully developed character in her own right, so much so that she's practically a co-lead of Infinity War.

That's not fridging - fridging is not "female character is killed", it's "(traditionally female) close to the protagonist is brutally murdered by the villain so as to motivate the hero on a vengeance quest".

The plot of Infinity War isn't about Quill avenging Thanos' killing of Gamora - he finds out he killed her like 2/3rds through the movie, and while it's definitely a dramatic turning point it's not like the singular moment which defines his entire arc, and Gamora is a fully developed character in her own right, so much so that she's practically a co-lead of Infinity War.
I'm not sure if it's fridging, but it is a case of "Abuse survivor narrative ends with the survivor being murdered by their abuser so the abuser can have manpain about it "

Which is not great

In an attempt to not turn this into another Infinity War debate -

The running bit with Gamora and Nebula grunting at each other like a couple of dogs is peak sibling energy. Gunn nailed it.

Three things stood out to me about this movie:
  1. Chukwudi Iwuji absolutely nailed his role as the antagonist. Phenomenal acting on his part.
  2. Quill is far more tolerable than he was in previous movies, but half his interactions with female characters still made me physically cringe with secondhand embarrassment.
  3. The movie's Christian theming came across as bit out of place. It's mostly understated and vague, so it wasn't outright disruptive and certainly wasn't evangelical, but in my opinion it causes the movie to slightly fumble a few times.

Anyway, it's pretty good movie and it closes out the trilogy nicely. I give it five out of seven raccoons.

I absolutely did not see any of the Christian theming you're talking about.

I kinda liked this new, more violent Gamora more, it actually mader her sibling relationship with Nebula more funny.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it's fridging, but it is a case of "Abuse survivor narrative ends with the survivor being murdered by their abuser so the abuser can have manpain about it "

Which is not great

Not really.

Thanos did some pretty extreme "rules lawyering" there. I really don't think Thanos really all that torn up about killing Gamora. If anything Thanos was... disappointed.

At no point was the audience supposed to feel bad for Thanos.

I absolutely did not see any of the Christian theming you're talking about.
The movie's climax has an All Dogs Raccoons Cybernetically Enhanced Animals Go To Heaven moment which talks about God, although it uses vague terms for understandable reasons. There's definitely a religious element present, and given that there's a Sistine Chapel reference a few minutes later, it looks pretty Christian to me. But I was writing off the cuff there, so maybe "theming" is the wrong word for that.

I mean, it's not bad, especially as these things go. If you'd told me that a Marvel movie included:
  1. an evolutionary biologist as an the primary antagonist
  2. some religious symbolism
I would have gone "oh boy! here we go! again!" But the movie's doesn't get into that can of worms, thankfully.

Anyway, it's not really a criticism of the movie so much as a thing I noticed about it.

I don't think it's spoiler tag worthy, but I don't think there was any kind of heavy handed Christian theme going on. A few nods, and definitely a... spiritual undertone, but I don't think it was in any way the theme of the movie.

Although...

The Sistine Chapel-type scene threw me off. I kinda laughed... i'm not sure it was meant to be a funny scene... but I couldn't help it. Kinda the most ridiculous part of the movie.

but half his interactions with female characters still made me physically cringe with secondhand embarrassment.

Un-spoilering this too because it's not and goes for the previous movies too...

You're supposed to. The movies did their job. Quill is supposed to still be something of an anti-hero. He's alittle gross with women.

I actually applaud Marvel for sticking with that aspect of his character in 2023... it's an... unpopular stance to have, and makes the characterization all the better. Quill is an absolute dog. He was reigned in by Gamora for a bit, but then... reverted back to dog status in her absence. You can say it's a character flaw.

Let's not forget literally the beginning of the first Guardians... he goes on a big adventure and forgets he has a one night stand still on his ship.

I think Quill's dog-ness is well portrayed. It's cringey, yes, as it should be but it's also not... disrespectful?

I disagree what happened to Gamora in Infinity War was fridging.

It's something GOTG Vol 3, should've fixed in my own personal opinion, they could've had it Adam is able to restore the old Gamora's soul in the body of her younger self, could've had that lead to a scene with a nice montage of moments Gamora had with the Guardians in Vol 1 and 2, plus what happened in Infinity War, with the alternate Gamora experiencing all of that at once.

Be a good scene.

Might be a nod to the original Warlock comics by Starlin, too. It basically had Adam Warlock be Jesus, pretty much.

Those were the Roy Moore comics. Starlin went in an even weirder direction.

His were the comics that introduced Gamora, and for that matter, were the first rough attempt at the Infinity Stones storyline.

Watched it and liked it.

When Thanos is a better dad then you and has positive qualities you lack you dun fucked up.

Bravery,Concern and Respect are the qualities.

Back