Greg Veder vs The World (Worm x The Gamer)

"Succinct answer," was Well's response, the man nodding along. "There would be certain important factors to consider; costume design, physical fitness, development of secondary sexual characteristics, inherent facial symmetry…"

Is this guy for real? Greg blinked unbelievingly. As the doctor continued to drone on, Greg echoed his thoughts out loud a moment later: "Are you for real?"

"Yes." Wells nodded again, taking Greg's statement at face value. The man stretched a large hand back and grabbed a few sheets of paper from the desk behind him and layered it over the notes he was currently taking on the clipboard. "Allow me to think over this."

Greg's mouth snapped shut as he did his best to repress a laugh. "You do that."
This exchange had me actually wheezing with laughter.

The one in his room was permanently solved on one side - the white face - because he'd read online somewhere that that was the one to start with.
Uh Greg you might want to check where you read that because it likely has some ties to the E88.

Doctor Wells simply shook his head and turned his attention back to the panel. "I'd recommend that you keep your eyes closed until I ask you to open them. The scanners are very bright and I'd rather you not risk temporary damage to your retinas."

Greg did as he asked, shutting his eyelids tight.
Silly Greg, letting yourself get flash binded could have trained a resistance or something!

Uh Greg you might want to check where you read that because it likely has some ties to the E88.
That's actually how you solve a Rubik's cube though. The faces of the cube tend to be colored white, red, blue, orange, green and yellow. The official site lists the process in stages: the first of which is to solve the White Cross, then the White Corners(to complete the White face of the cube), then the middle layer, followed by the top face, and end with the final layer.

Nothing racist about it.

That's actually how you solve a Rubik's cube though. The faces of the cube tend to be colored white, red, blue, orange, green and yellow. The official site lists the process in stages: the first of which is to solve the White Cross, then the White Corners(to complete the White face of the cube), then the middle layer, followed by the top face, and end with the final layer.

Nothing racist about it.
One of these days I'll learn not to try to be funny on the internet.

That exchange between Colin and Greg really gave me the feels. Especially the bit where Greg says he's just messing with Colin about hanging out... because I had the impression that while he was, he also wasn't, if you get what I mean. Greg could do with a decent father/uncle figure (and Colin could do with having his mental horizons widened).

That exchange between Colin and Greg really gave me the feels. Especially the bit where Greg says he's just messing with Colin about hanging out... because I had the impression that while he was, he also wasn't, if you get what I mean. Greg could do with a decent father/uncle figure (and Colin could do with having his mental horizons widened).
The World Ends With You and all that?

She has mecha-dragon bodies/suits, which is something Alexandria will never have.

Alexandria could easily have a mecha suit, she could literally drop into any Tinker's workshop and commission one, then get other Tinkers to make it better.

It would just be pointless, because titanium alloy is softer than her skin, and powered suits would slow her down.

Not too familiar with the game. Can you explain further, please?
The main idea is that everyone is a world in and of themselves, and that other world's(people) run on different logic, and are thus Incomprehensible. But a world with nothing but you is a sad and lonely existence, so to not be alone you need to expand your world by trying to understand others. So your World ends when you decide to stop pushing and trying to understand others.

The main idea is that everyone is a world in and of themselves, and that other world's(people) run on different logic, and are thus Incomprehensible. But a world with nothing but you is a sad and lonely existence, so to not be alone you need to expand your world by trying to understand others. So your World ends when you decide to stop pushing and trying to understand others.

Huh, I never really played past the third cutscene with Beat and Note, so I never got that but I loved the game regardless.

Aggro 4.15
Aggro 4.15

– o – o – o – o – o – o – o –​

April 12, 2011

7:39 PM

The blond stared down at the collection of foods on his plate, his appetite nonexistent as he continued doing what he had been doing for the last five minutes. His spoon, held lazily between two fingers, drifted over to the mound of peas on his plate and a few of the green orbs found themselves trapped in his utensil, a thick spoonful of mashed potatoes holding them fast.

"...Could you pass the potatoes, sweetie?"

Without looking, Greg reached over with one hand to the bowl of potatoes just to his right and lifted them over the table as he handed it to his mother sitting opposite him.

"What's the matter, Greg?"

Greg blinked, his name catching his attention.

"You've been so quiet since we got home. Something wrong?"

Greg glanced up at his mother, his lips pursed slightly as he stared at the easy smile on her face. The teen leaned forward on the table, his elbow resting on the hardwood while his other hand lazily dangled a spoonful of leftover mashed potatoes precariously between his finger and thumb. "Hmm?"

"Greg," her smile wavered slightly as Greg inexpertly avoided the question. "You haven't said a word in a while. You feeling okay? I thought you'd be happy that the PRT cleared up the whole nonsense about you having powers."

Greg's lips quirked upwards as he nodded, giving his mother just the barest hint of a smile before he dropped his head again, going back to moving food around his plate.

Susan let out an audible sigh, her face screwing up slightly as Greg didn't even look up from his plate at the sound. She repeated it, exhaling louder and heavier as she tapped her utensil against her plate. This time, her pursed lips became an actual frown and she dropped her spoon onto her plate in a huff. "Greg!"

The young blond raised his head, staring into his mother's eyes as she mock-glared at him. "Huh?"

"How many times do I have to beg before...," Susan shot her son an expectant smile as he looked up at her, a slight huff escaping her, "before you'll talk to me, Greg? You've been all moody since we came back home."

Greg blew air out of his mouth, half-lidded eyes glancing up at his mom. After a few moments, he muttered something under his breath. Whatever it was, Susan didn't catch it, but she didn't press the issue, simply raising one eyebrow at her child.

"I didn't wanna bug you," he finally replied, still using his spoon to decorate his mound of mashed potatoes with ornaments of peas and tiny slivers of broiled chicken. "That's pretty much it."

"Well, come on, it's not like that's ever stopped you before, sweetheart." She said the sentence with a smile and a soft laugh, obviously expecting Greg to join in. It wasn't long before her laughter trailed away to nothing and the smile on her face began to fade as Greg went back to his food, the teenage boy slowly moving the same spoonful of mashed potatoes around on his plate.

"I just… don't know what to say right now." He gave a slight sigh, rolling his eyes. "Okay?"

"Come on, Greg," Susan snorted, rolling her own eyes at her son's absurd statement. "What have I said about lies in this house?"

Blue eyes rapidly blinked in confusion, Greg shaking his head as if trying to get rid of a persistent thought. "Lies don't…" The teen began, only to pause and stare up at his mother with an oddly serious expression. "Lies don't belong in a loving family."

"And don't you forget it." Susan smiled at him before turning back to her food.

"Mom?" There was a lightness to his voice, his tone bearing a fragility to it that hadn't been present in over a month.

"Yeah, swe-mpffee?" Her voice was muffled halfway through as she placed a thick slice of chicken in her mouth, her cheeks bulging slightly as she chewed. Her face was slightly comical and only grew more so the more Susan chewed, the chicken a bit too thick and far too dry for her to eat it comfortably, but Greg's blank expression didn't change much.

"How come you get to break the rule about lying?"

"Wha-" Susan tried to answer back through a mouthful of chicken but quickly found it pointless. Struggling to wash down the somewhat dry chicken with a gulp of water, Greg's mother blinked a few tears from her eyes as she cleared her throat with a stammering cough. As she wiped her mouth with a napkin, Susan turned back to her son, a forced and shaky smile on her face. "Wh- wh- wha…"

Her words were breathy and awkward, more gasps than anything else and as Greg simply looked at her, Susan seemed to only get more discombobulated.

There was a tense silence between the two of them that stretched on, Susan trying to conjure up something to say while Greg just stared at her, waiting for his mother to respond. Holding up a hand, Susan grabbed her glass and began to take another long draft of water, seemingly to give herself time to think. As she continued to gulp down the tall glass, her eyes never left her son's, his face bearing an uncharacteristically tired expression.

The entire glass empty, her trembling hands set it down on the table with a soft clink, forgoing the coaster entirely. She looked over at her son again, fake smile weaker than ever. "I d-don't understand what you m… what you're talking about, sweetie."

Greg's eyes narrowed a little, his lips pursing. "Second time."

Susan blinked. "Wh-what?"

"That's the second time you've lied to me today," his lips turned further downwards as he paused, glancing down at his uneaten plate, "At least, I think so. I'm not really sure anymore."

"G-greg!" Her voice jumped, slightly shrill as she gave him a stricken look. "I-I-I would never…"

"Third." He blinked slowly, a bitter smile growing at the edge of his mouth. "Wow, you're on a roll, Mom."

Susan's mouth snapped shut with an audible click, the woman simply staring at her son with a shocked expression. "...Sweetie, It's n-not like th-"

"The first time," Greg began, cutting his mother off as he recounted his memories, "was when I asked you if you called the PRT on me."

"I- I…" Susan shook her head, her face screwing up as she tried to force out words that refused to leave. "I don't…"

"You said no. That was a lie," Greg almost bit the word out, his eyes narrowing as he fixed his mother with a weak glare. "You lied to me, Mom. You hate lies."

You have gained 1 WIS.

"That's n… I didn't…. But… " Susan shook her head rapidly, her gaze fixed on her son. Her face flushed red, hands tight in front of her. "They said they w-wouldn't tell you."

"They didn't." Greg's fists clenched on the table, the teen wincing as his suspicions suddenly became an uncomfortable reality. His glare focused in intensity, actual anger starting to bolster it. "They didn't tell me anything, Mom. I figured it out myself. It was kinda obvious in the first place."

The teenager shook his head just the tiniest bit, biting back a cough as he stared at his mother. "I mean, who else? I literally have a friend -singular- and even if he thought I was a cape, he'd never rat me out to the government." Blue eyes narrowed again. "Because, unlike my own mother, Sparky actually trusts me."

You have gained 1 CHA.

His mother visibly flinched at that, her face contorting for a moment before she recovered. Her skin seemed to be getting redder and redder with each passing moment as she avoided her son's gaze. Visibly trembling, Susan raised her head to look at her son again.

"S… sweetheart, you don't understand," Susan brought her hands towards her face, nearly resting her head on her palms. "Things were happening to you! You were changing so fast. I was worried!"

"That doesn't matter, Mom!" Greg jumped up from his seat, shouting his anger at the top of his lungs. "You're my Mom! You're supposed to talk to me, not treat me like a criminal and rat me out to the government because you think I can shoot fire out of my eyes or something!"

"Gr… sweetie, I-" His mother paused, frowning for a moment before finally retorting with, "I thought you had powers, Greg! I didn't know what to do! The PRT, they're trained to help kids with powers, sweetie! I'm not!"

"Really, mom?" Greg huffed, beginning to pace back and forth furiously. Words flew from his mouth, angry and bitter thoughts that he would never have given voice too before."You didn't know what to do?"

"No! I d-"

Greg didn't give her a chance, rushing over his Mom's attempt to speak. "You couldn't ask me if I had powers or anything. Was that just too much for you? That's good to know. So, if I ever see you with blood on your hands, I'll just lock myself in the bathroom, call the cops and tell them you're a murderer?" Greg spat, throwing his hands in the air again. "Forget asking questions! Forget trying to help! I'll just let the government deal with you! That seems fair, right?"

Greg's arms fell to his sides as he took in deep, angry breaths, his fists clenched tightly as he stared at his mother. Even as he stared at her, the woman was obviously fighting tears, her mouth moving up and down as she struggled to find words. "But that would be alright because I thought you were a serial killer and the government is trained to deal with serial killers, right?"

You have gained 1 CHA.

"Greg!"

"No!" Greg interrupted again. "You would have shoved me off into the Wards and made me do whatever you wanted and acted like we were both happy about it, Mom! You know that's what would have happened!" The blond let out a scream of frustration, throwing his hands out again as he turned his back to his mother. "You still treat me like I'm still five, Mom, and you do stuff like this all time!"

"Th… that's not true!" Susan shouted in response, slamming her hands down on the table. Greg turned back around to face his mother as her spoon and fork clattered to the ground, scattering peas and mashed potatoes on the hardwood floor but neither of them bothered to glance at it, mother and son too busy glaring at each other in a way that was wholly new to the both of them.

"Really?" Greg let out an angry huff, stepping closer to his mother again. "Because you freaked out when I started hanging out with Sparky the first time!"

Susan clammed up again, her face becoming an entirely new shade of red. Greg watched his mother as she nervously adjusted her hair, brushing loose strands out of her face as she shook her head.

"My birthday's in a couple of months and you won't even talk to me about teaching me how to drive!" Greg continued, too caught up to stop now. "I brought it up last month and you said you'd get me a new bike, Mom! When I tried to talk to you about it, you freaked out and asked me to go play my games! You do this all the time, you know!

"You overreact and then you try to brush it over later like nothing just happened. All the time, Mom!" The teen shook his head, turning away from his mother with a tired expression on his face. "And now, you overreact and go to the PRT. How am I supposed to feel about that, Mom? You literally turned me over to the government."

"I was worried about you!" Susan repeated, face screwed up as she brought her hands down onto the table in anger. "Sneaking out of the house before five in the morning, your body changing out of nowhere, and you've been spending so much more time outside…"

"At my friend's house?!"

"Don't even try that, Greg!" His mother screamed back, tears starting to stream down her face. "I remember that redheaded girl you brought into this house! Changing your hair, wearing your father's cologne, dressing up every weekend to run out of the house and acting like I don't see any of this! Do you think I'm blind?"

Greg scowled, just now realizing how much his mother had paid attention to. Annoyance fueling him, he bit back. "No, but I think you overreact all the time! I think you don't want me to be like other kids. I think you hate me not needing you for everything. I think you hate the idea of me actually having a girlfriend and I don't even know why!"

"What are you talking about?" Susan replied, falling back into her chair. Her hands came up to wipe tears from her eyes, one napkin already stained with makeup. "I don't even know what you m-mean."

"Come on, Mom!" Greg replied, groaning as he thrust his hands into the air. He stepped away from the dinner table, shuffling his feet in barely repressed annoyance. "You freaked out when Emma was over the one time. Yeah, it looked bad, but you didn't have to act crazy, Mom!"

"Crazy?" Susan shot back, almost reeling at Greg's words. "Crazy? You think I'm crazy because I want what's best for you? Because I want to keep you safe?"

"No, I don't," Greg shook his head, gesturing wildly in front of him with a single hand. "I think it's crazy that you don't give me any space. I think it's crazy that you expect me to be inside the house all the time and I think it's crazy that you won't let me do anything without freaking out!"

"... You know what? Fine." Susan slammed her hands down on the table, tears openly falling down her face now. She sniffed, drawing the back of her blouse arm across her nose. "You're right! I'm wrong! You're growing up! You should be able to do whatever you want and go wherever you want."

Greg sighed at his mom's tone, the sarcasm evident. "Mom, come on."

"No, go ahead. Who's stopping you, Greg? Join the football team and run around with as many sluts that'll have you. You already have one," she hissed, her own hands in fists now. "Why stop there? You'll get bored of her before you know it! You always do!"

Me? Greg blinked in confusion, stunned by his mom's crying rant as much as what she was actually saying. "Mo-"

"And when you turn into your father, you can leave me and go spend the rest of your life whoring, drinking and gambling with a man who barely even looked at you while you grew up!"

"Don't compare me to him!" Greg shouted back, knuckles white as he clenched his fists tight. His father was a sore spot for both of them, his mother more than him, but it still stung to have that thrown in his face like that. "I'm not Dad!"

"Then stop acting like it, Greg! Stop acting like it!"

"I'm nothing like him," Greg fumed, his voice lowered to a tired mutter. He thrust his hands in his pockets and stared at the wooden floor, following the whorls and patterns with his eyes. "You don't know what you're talking about."

Susan let out a sort of sobbing laugh, the sound lacking any sort of real joy. "Oh, I spent over a decade married to that man. I think I know what he's like. He's heartless, uncaring, greedy and he only ever thinks about himself and the money in his pocket. He never loved anyone! Not his own parents, not his wife and certainly not his own son!"

There was silence between the two of them as Susan seemingly dropped a verbal bomb on the entire conversation. Mother and son continued staring at each other, unsure of what to say next.

Greg let out a breath after a few moments, the teen shrugging his shoulders as he looked back at his mom.

"Y- y… you know, Mom," Greg began, folding his arms together. He shook his head at his mother. "As bad as Dad was, I could never see him calling the PRT on me. Not without even talking to me, at least. I think… I think… I'd call that love."

You have gained 1 CHA.

Another silence filled the dining room, Greg's words their own bomb. Susan's expression seemed to crack the longer Greg stared at her as she sat there, her face shifting from anger to a painful sadness, as tears began to flow in earnest.

"... I didn't…" Greg licked his lips, his mouth suddenly dry. Greg stepped forward, trying to reach his mother with an outstretched hand. "Mom, I d.. I didn't mean it like th-"

Before he could so much as touch her, Susan stood up from the table and turned her face away from her son. Tears dripped from her face as she fled the table, leaving Greg behind with his hand out, a regretful expression on his face.

The teen dropped himself back into his seat at the table, leaning back with an exasperated sigh as his mother ran up the stairs, every single footstep loud enough for Greg to hear. Her angry footfalls continued as loud as ever until she finally reached her room, and the angry slam of a door was heard throughout the house.

The blond sat up a moment later, his face falling forward to rest on his open palms. I could have let it go. I should have let it go. I didn't need to tell her I knew. Greg couldn't help the thoughts creeping up on him, used to excusing away his mother's faults as simply "love." This time, however, those same thoughts were countered by other, less appreciative ones. She lied to me, though. She always talks about how lying is bad and evil and destroys families and she lied to me. She called the PRT on me. What kinda mom does that?

Greg growled, the teen gritting his teeth as he slammed his fists down on the dining table. The sound of shaking plates and utensils met his ear in a din but the blond paid it no mind, slamming his fists down one more time with an angry stream of curses.

The two of them had gotten annoyed with each other before, as family members often do, but to the point of both of them screaming and yelling? Never. Greg couldn't recall ever screaming at his mother like that and he knew she could say the same.

Whatever it was that had just happened between him and his mother was almost historic. I yelled at her. He sighed, rubbing his forehead with one palm. I screamed at her. Called her crazy.

Bitter feelings crept back up again, Greg fighting back the guilty thoughts as he remembered what his mom had said. She called Emma a slut, though. She doesn't even know her. She said I was like dad. She called me heartless, greedy, a monster. What kind of mom does that?

Guilt and bitterness continued waging a war inside his mind as Greg let out a quiet groan, sinking down further into his seat. "Something has to be wrong with me."

Greg already knew that, though. When the results were basically shoved right in his face, what else could he do but accept them?

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Three Hours Ago
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – –​

The teenager sat atop the futuristic exam table as he faced Doctor Wells. He was silent, as he had been since the doctor had informed him the scan was complete just a few minutes ago.

A few minutes ago.

Greg blinked, a slight undercurrent of nervousness working its way up his chest as he continued watching the man with a silent intensity. He had spent more time simply waiting in here than he had taking the test, nearly a full five minutes of raw, nervous silence as the doctor read screen after screen.

Part of him wanted to shout, just to startle the man enough to make him say something. The rest of him really wished this moment would last forever, where he was still just some normal kid to the PRT, someone they'd have no reason to care about.

Realistically, he knew that wouldn't work out. He knew what the doctor was seeing on those results and he knew what was going to happen next. Sighing, Greg muttered to himself, "Let's just get this shit over with."

"Doctor."

The man looked over the screens, the pair of glasses on his nose tipping forward ever so slightly with his movement. "Yes?"

"The results." Greg paused to lick his lips and raised the back of his hand up to his face, brushing the space between his lip and nose simply to scratch an itch. "It's been almost five minutes and… well, you've been real quiet."

The doctor nodded at Greg, raising one hand to scratch at his thick beard as he did so. "I have been, yes. I was just looking over the results to get a detailed understanding of your situation."

"And?" Greg asked, not in the mood to drag things out. If he was going to get exposed, better it happen quick like a band-aid than torture himself by having it be stretched out forever. "What did it say?"

Doctor Wells looked at Greg over the brim of his glasses, his expression unreadable. "You're asking if you're a cape, you mean?"

The teen nodded slowly, gulping slightly as the doctor narrowed his eyes at him before casting another glance back at the screen. "Yeah, that's what… what I want to know."

Wells mouth turned down into a frown, the sight of it barely visible through his thicket of a beard. His hands clasped behind his back, the man pulling himself to his full height. "Mr. Veder, according to the scans, I truly can't say. The results are at best inconclusive."

"...What?" The teen blinked at the man, less in confusion and more from the sheer shock of what his words meant. "I d-don't…" Licking his lips again, Greg continued. "I'm not sure what you mean."

The doctor shook his head slightly, muttering something under his breath as he rubbed the bridge of his nose. "First, let me explain something," he began, rather loudly, "the overwhelming majority of parahumans possess a formation in their brain called the Corona Pollentia as well as another lesser portion called the Gemma located somewhere between the frontal and parietal lobes.

"Roughly eight percent of these growths are so oddly placed or shaped that they cannot be detected using a traditional MRI. However, this device," the doctor paused, his teeth gritted for some odd reason, "is designed to surpass the function of any conventional method of scanning the human body, with a very thin margin of error."

Greg sat back listening to the doctor explain the situation with nothing but a blank expression on his face, well aware that the only reason he wasn't outright grinning was because he had the foresight to bite his lip. "So, what you're saying is that I'm within that margin of error?"

"What I'm saying is that officially, the H.I.I.D. could not detect the presence of either a Corona Pollentia or Gemma within your body. That presents us with two options. Either you fall within the very slimmargin of error of the H.I.I.D. or you have no potential at all to be a parahuman at all. As your body displays a few minor… oddities," Wells took a breath, rubbing his nose again, "I'd assume it was simply the first. However, none of these differences are necessarily out of human possibility. So…"

Greg raised an eyebrow. "So?"

"I have to ask," Wells stepped around from the screen, his arms folded across his chest, "have you come into contact with any Tinker-derived substances?"

"You mean Tinker drugs, right?"

Wells nodded stiffly.

"Not that I can remember, doc," Greg said with a shrug. "Besides, cool kids don't do drugs."

"That's… that's good to hear." Wells told him, the man's large hands holding onto his clipboard with a tight grip. "Unfortunately, this officially means that you are not a parahuman, in the legal sense."

"Mmm." Greg closed his eyes, nodding slowly. "Tragic."

"Indeed."

"Sooooo, now that the big mystery is cleared up," Greg raised his eyebrows as he pointed to the door, "mind if I get on out of here?"

"Actually, there's something I'd like to discuss with you first." Wells dropped the clipboard at the terminal next to him, crossing his arms in front of him again. "I'd rather you hear this before you leave."

"Come on, doc," Greg sighed, glancing sidelong at the doctor as he kept one eye on the door. "Is it really that important?"

"I'd like to think it is," Wells replied, in his blunt, measured tone. "It's something I have some level of experience with at least."

"Of course it is," Greg murmured to himself, letting out a slight groan. Shaking his head, he continued. "Okay, what is it?"

The doctor was quiet for a long moment, the odd silence seeming to stretch as he kept his gaze locked on Greg.

"Doc?" Greg asked, leaning back slightly from the man's intense stare.

"Tell me. Have you ever heard of Aspergers?"
Ambiguous Disorder Diagnosed:

Asperger's Syndrome

Ever since you were a little kid, you've always been a little bit off. Impulsive, obsessive, socially obtuse and emotionally needy, you're a bit of a weirdo. You now know that you have Asperger's Syndrome. Thanks to the help of a PRT doctor with good advice, you're now more aware of your own mental state. (-70% reduction to overall WIS, 90% reduction to overall CHA.)

Now

Bip-bip-bip
Bip-bip-bip
Bip-bip-bip
Bip-bip-bip
Bip-bip-bip
Bip-bip-bip
Bip-bip-bip

Blue eyes blinked slowly, Greg raising his head from his palms as an annoyingly familiar noise hit his ears. As he felt the vibration in his jeans, Greg quickly realized what that vaguely annoying sound was. Reaching into his trouser pockets, he pulled out his candy blue flip phone and stared at the caller ID of the person texting him. A smile slowly crept across his face, replacing his forlorn expression.

"Huh. Emma. Wonder what's up?"

– o – o – o – o – o – o – o –
Greg Lucas Veder

Student

Level 19

Title:
Ninja - In Training

XP: 2510/32000

HP: 1447/1447

MP: 480/480

Will: 486/486

STR: 61

SPD: 62 (+2 [64])

VIT: 82

INT: 50

WIS: 17 ((-11.9) [5])

CHA:
22 ((+9) (-27.9) [3])

Unspent Stat Points: 21

Unspent Perk Points: 3

Cash: $20,068.57

Nerd-Geek Hybrid: Your obsession with video gaming, computers, fantasy/sci-fi literature and 80's/90's pop culture has left you in the rare middle of two circles; the obsessive fandom-loving geek and the intelligent, knowledge seeking nerd. Sadly, your hobbies have left you with an aversion to physical exertion. (50% bonus to INT gains, -50% penalty to STR, SPD & VIT gains.)

Asperger's Syndrome:
Ever since you were a little kid, you've always been a little bit off. Impulsive, obsessive, socially obtuse and emotionally needy, you're a bit of a weirdo. You now know that you have Asperger's Syndrome. Thanks to the help of a PRT doctor with good advice, you're now more aware of your own mental state. (-70% reduction to overall WIS, -90% reduction to overall CHA.)

Casanova Bloodline:
As a Veder man, you have a great smile, natural charm and a confident approach to life that draws the ladies in like a moth to a flame. Your great cheekbones don't hurt either. It's how your dad got your mom to go out with him while dating at least three other girls and sleeping with two others, at least that's what he always told you - even when you didn't ask - all the time. (+ 9 CHA)

Dragon-Blooded

Fire and fury flows through your veins, blood of the dragon.
The mythical hero Siegfried was baptized in the blood of a magical dragon and became nigh-invulnerable, immune to nearly all forms of damage. You, on the other hand, were splattered in the blood of a not-so-magical dragon. (+ 250 HP, + 10 STR, + 10 SPD)

Dragon-Souled

For some, baptism by fire tends to be a symbolic term. Not for you, though.
Facing the heat of Lung's flames head-on has purified the strength of your will and the power of your soul. The beginnings of draconic power grow throughout your being. (+250 MP, +250 Will, +10 INT, +10 VIT)

Peak Human
What is peak human, anyway?
Somehow, you have surpassed the physical threshold of humanity, surpassing those inherent limits man is beholden to. (Unlocks perks for STR, SPD, VIT and INT once a stat crosses a benchmark of 50 pts)

Baby Steps (1/3) [Ranked Skill]
With Catlike Tread...
Allows very light movement across surfaces, allowing you to move or stand on surfaces that would normally not support your weight.

Bulwark
Facing off against an opponent who far outclassed you has given you an ability to withstand impossible pain in the face of impossible odds.
Takes 50% less damage from opponents over five times your level.

Danger Sense (4/10) [Ranked Skill]
My common sense is tingling.
You gain a sixth sense that allows you to sense the presence of incoming danger.

Developed Mind (1/10) [Ranked Ability]
I like to think of myself as enlightened.
Every time you gain a level, you gain an additional 5 MP for each rank of this perk.

Dragon Blood's Gift
What is a knight without armor? A dragon without scales? A lion without teeth?
All equipped armor and gear is self-repairing at a rate of 1% a minute, so long as it is constantly being fed mana or will in some manner.

Fire Dragon's Aura (1/10) [Ranked Skill]
"Bathed in Dragon Fire and Blood, I shall fear no flame"
At a rate of 1 MP per second per rank, draw upon your pyrokinesis to generate an aura of fire. Your equipment and body are immune to the heat, of it and anything cooler than it. It is, however, actual fire, so try not to burn down your house. In addition, you can literally breathe fire instead of air while this is active.

Growing Will (1/10) [Ranked Ability]
Some people say you're rather willful.
Every time you gain a level, you gain an additional 5 Will for each rank of this perk.

Lifegiver (5/10) [Ranked Ability]

Health is more than just not getting sick.
Every time you gain a level, you gain an additional 5 HP for each rank of this perk.

Not Quite Dead
People die when they are killed… usually.
Survive after your HP sinks below 0 and a harmful status effect is active.
10% Chance to recover with full health when HP drops to 0.

Quick Healer
Don't worry, it won't scar.
You heal rather fast, at a rate of a tenth of your VIT every fifteen seconds.

Surefooted
I don't trip.
Allows perfect traction over any solid ground, eliminating the chance of slipping and falling over your own feet.

Toughened Body
Charles Atlas would be proud.
Simply put, you're already tougher than most people. Now, well, look at the title of this perk. All physical damage is reduced by half your level number, in addition to all other damage reduction.

Transformation Sequence (1/3) [Ranked Skill]
"It's Morphin' Time!"
By willing yourself to transform, you can equip any full outfit within your inventory, transforming in a flash of blue light, mana glitter and/or a whirlwind of aerokinesis obscuring you.

Gamer's Body (Passive) Lv. MAX
Allows you to live life as if were a game.
Sleeping restores HP, MP, Will and removes most negative status effects.

Gamer's Mind (Passive) Lv. MAX
Grants immunity to mental status effects, emotional and mental trauma and severely dangerous emotional states.

Basic Aerokinesis Lv 12

"Winds, guard me!"
Exert the force of your air control over a range of 35 meters. (140 mph)
Cost:
20 mp per second of sustained use at max range & power.

Basic Pyrokinesis Lv 3
Burn, baby, burn!
Generate flames and control them up to a range of 3 meters.
Cost: 20 MP per second of sustained use at max range.

Dash Straight Lv 11 (XP: 35%)
Force equals Mass times Acceleration.
You may suck at physics, but you know that much.

Through reinforcing the body, you smash your fist into a target while moving at high speed. Damage scales based on distance moved. (1.5x Damage Cap)
Damage: 165
Cost: 25 Will + 2 Will for every meter power sprinted

Mana Glitter Lv 4 (XP: 65%)
Sparkle like the pretty bishounen you were always meant to be. Or a princess. Or a pedophilic slightly-rapey vampire. Who's judging you?
Release particles of mana from your body in the form of iridescent sapphire sparkles. Max Range increases by 25% with each level. (2.5 meters)
Cost:
1 MP per second

Mana Platform Lv 1
I call it walking on air.
Using raw mana, you create semi-solid platforms under your feet that last only as long as you remain still. (.25 m)
Cost:
1 MP per 2 seconds

Observe Lv 9 (XP: 5%)
A skill to find out basic information relating to the chosen object.
Cost: 1 MP

Raging Combo Lv 13 (XP: 15%)
A blistering barrage of belligerent blows built to batter baddies.
By repeatedly using weaker forms of Angry Straight, you pummel your target with raw frustration and anger. (36 Hits)
Damage:
Cost: 65 Will

Reinforcement (Apprentice) Lv 13 (XP: 15%)
A discount version of the Kaio-Ken for the squishy wizard.
Increases your effective strength, speed and health by 5% per level with this technique from a base of 50%. Does not increase actual points of vitality or willpower. Improved control means that weaker usages of Reinforcement is within your grasp for lower costs. (110%)
Cost:
5 Will every 2 seconds
Warning: Overuse will lead to HP damage.

Subskill: Burst
Cast from hit points. Yeah, it's one of those skills.
  • A short, yet extremely concentrated and focused burst of reinforcement applied to the extremities for an insane burst of ability lasting 1 second
  • (x 2.5 top Reinforced SPD/STR
Cost: 20 Will, 40 HP
Subskill: Layer Reinforcement
  • Increases the quality of non-living items, increasing their sharpness, durability, and hardness.
  • This form of reinforcement can be used on non-living substances for a base quality increase of 250% Each level improves this by 25%.
  • (550%)
Cost: 2 Will every 5 seconds.
Surface Adhesion Lv 9 (XP: 35%)
You ever wanted to be Spider-Man? Don't lie. Of course you did.
This skill allows you to stick to walls and hang on to ceilings and vertical surfaces without a risk of falling. While not denying gravity, this allows you to adhere to surfaces unaided.
Cost: 2 MP per second

Structural Analysis Lv 5 (XP: 35%)
Judging the concept of creation, Hypothesizing the basic structure...
Grants the ability to gain a rudimentary understanding of the internal structure and functional design of simple, non-living objects.
Cost: 2 mp per square half-meter of object.

Weapon Charge Lv 17 (XP: 75%)
Conceptually do twice as much damage with a weapon. Broken?
What's that mean?

Boosts weapon damage x 2.
Length of charge increases by 1/2 second for every level. (8.5 sec)
Cost:
8 MP

Acrobatics Lv 21 (XP: 35%)
Parkour!
An ability that enables you to pull off backflips, frontflips and any manner of jumping-based ground-movement technique with greater ease.

Awareness: Mana Lv 8 (XP: 25%)
Mana, magic energy, magicka, prana, ether, thaum, spiritual energy, magatsuhi or even chakra… Call it what you want. It's all the same in the end.
You have gained awareness of Mana, the spiritual energy found within the human mind and soul. Gaining awareness of your magical energy has given you some semblance of control over it.

Awareness: Willpower Lv 6 (XP: 15%)
Willpower, ki, chi, qi, stamina, aura, mantra, physical energy, life energy, od, or even hamon… Call it what you want. It's all the same in the end.
You have gained awareness of your Willpower, the physical energy found within all living organisms. Gaining awareness of your physical energy has given you some semblance of control over it.

Ballroom Dancing Lv 1
I wouldn't call it dancing yet. More like a full-body dry heave set to music.
Represents your skill in the art of dancing in a fancy, romantic manner when with a partner.

Basic Anatomy Lvl 5 (XP: 85%)
Anatomy is to physiology as geography is to history.
Gain a basic understanding of the human body.
Increases [Critical Hit] damage by 10% per level. (50%)

Beginner Combat Lvl 5 (XP: 15%)
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
The next level of combat, Beginner Combat is a fusion of fighting and footwork into the ability to learn new styles of combat, fusing them into a novice martial combat capability.
Increased bare-handed damage by 2% per level. (10%)

Blunt Weaponry Lv 5 (XP: 4%)

Carry a big stick. Speaking softly is optional.
Measures your skill with using a blunt weapon.
Increases damage with a blunt weapon by 2% per level. (20%)

Breath-Holding Lv 13 (XP: 15%)
Asphyxiation is a terrible way to die.
Increases time able to stay conscious without air by 30 seconds per level. (6.5 min)

Bullshitting Lv 6 (XP: 15%)
First, you tell a lie; then you believe it; then you become it.
Increases chances that any lie you tell is successful by 2% with every level. (12%)

Disarm Lv 3 (XP: 55%)
Take their weapon from their warm, living hands.
Increases chance of disarming the enemy by 2% with every level. (6%)

Driving Lv 4 (XP: 25%)

NASCAR, here we come.
Measures your skill at operating a four-wheeled motorized vehicle.

Gunplay: Rifles Lv 3 (XP: 35%)

Slightly better than a stormtrooper.
Improves aim/accuracy/stability with a rifle by 5% per level. (15%)
Improves damage with a rife by 2% per level. (6%)

Kissing Lv 5 (XP: 75%)
Looks like practicing on a peach actually paid off.
Represents your skill in the art of smooching.

Language: Japanese Lv 7 (5%)

Gratuitous Japanese indeed.
Reflects your speaking skill, and understanding of, the Japanese language.

Meditation Lvl 10 (XP: 30%)
Breathe in the good shit. Breathe out the bullshit.
By finding your inner focus, you push out all earthly distractions and enter a state of mental and physical harmony, allowing a greater understanding of your mind and body. While meditating, your Mana and Will recover at a rate of 10% faster per level into this ability. You retain this bonus for a period of ten minutes post-Meditation. (100%)

Parry Lv 8 (XP: 60%)
To deflect an attack is a double-edged sword;
Risking more damage for the chance to inflict the same.
Increases the effectiveness of any attempt to divert or deflect a physical attack by 2% with every level. (16%)

Reflexes Lv 14 (XP: 15%)
DODGE!
Increases your innate reaction speed by 10% per level. (140%)

Resistance: Blunt Force Lv. 56 (XP: 25%)
Going from punching yourself in the face to actual self-mutilation?
Bold move, Veder. Let's see if it pays off.

Reduce all blunt force damage by 0.75% with every level from attacks less than 100% of your health. (42%)

Resistance: Cold Lv 6 (XP: 80%)

The cold never stopped bothering you.
Increases resistance to cold temperature by 1% with every level from attacks less than 100% of your health. (6%)

Resistance: Electricity Lv 8 (XP: 25%)

Everyone knows electrocution is harmless.
Increases resistance to electrical damage by 1% with every level from attacks less than 100% of your health. (8%)

Resistance: Heat Lv 46 (XP: 75%)
"You have to respect anything that can just stand there, on fire."
Increases resistance to heat damage by 1% with every level from attacks less than 100% of your health. (46%)

Resistance: Piercing Lv 21 (XP: 50%)
The thrust or stab is risky because it can kill and yet not stop
Reduces piercing or stabbing damage by 0.75% with every level from attacks less than 100% of your health. (15.75%)

Resistance: Poison Lv 3 (XP: 15%)

I wonder what counts as a poison...
Reduces damage and effects caused by poison by 1% every level that will cause damage less than 100% of your health, in any way, shape or form. (3%)

Resistance: Slashing Lv 9 (XP: 90%)
The cut will stop but not kill.
Reduces slashing or cutting damage by 0.75% with every level from attacks less than 100% of your health. (6.75%)

Seduction Lv 1 (XP: 5%)
I didn't mean to turn you on… or did I?
Manage to draw the attention of a member of the opposite sex using your innate attraction skills. Increases chance of [Critical Hits] on enemies by .5% every level. (.5%)

Singing Lv 2 (XP: 30%)

Stick to doing musicals in the shower for now.
Represents your ability to hit the correct notes, harmonize and anything to do with the art of vocals.

Sneaking Lv 11 (XP: 20%)
Ugh… stealth missions suck.
Allows for 2% quieter movement per level while trying not to be heard. (22%)

Stamina Lvl 11 (XP: 15%)
Whatever I lack in talent I have in stamina.
Increase Will by + 5 with every level. (55 Will)

Swordplay: Single Blade Lv 25

All swords are the same.
Represents your martial skill with the art of a single blade.
Increases damage with a blade by 2% per level. (50%)

Taunt Lv 10 (XP: 10%)
"And this! Is when I taunt you!"
Draw the attention of a target through nonsensical, idiotic, but occasionally piercing, verbal attacks. Increases chance of Critical Hits on enemies by 2% with every level. (20%)

Thrown Weapons Lv 4 (XP: 75%)
Throwing your sword always works. Except, you know, when it doesn't.
Increases the skill, range and force by which items and weapons can be thrown by 2% with every level. (8%)

Last edited:
This is where you went way too far.

DO NOT TALK TO HER ABOUT YOUR FAMILY ISSUES!!!

I feel like Emma's betrayal about family issues was causes by Sofia .since Greg has physically beaten Sofia he can't be a sheep, so it wouldn't do any good to try to force him into a wolf .he already is one . That's the insidious nature of Emma's betrayal. It was cauched in the guise of "doing the right thing" -- hueting Taylor to help her. But that isn't super applicable here.

Damn. Heavy stuff. How're you gonna make things right greg?
I mean, even if he did go a bit overboard with the comment about his father, his mother definitely came off looking worse. He is both young and has aspergers, so emotional immaturity is par for the course. She's a grown woman, so that kind of emotional instability is much less so.
Overall, a slight apology from him wouldn't be bad but it certainly seems more like she should be the one apologizing.

Well done; that dinner scene was excellent. Really captured (see below) a tension-filled parent-teenager confrontation after some serious trust-breaking events, in my opinion.

This is where you went way too far.

To be fair, parents and children do have those kinds of vicious arguments. Especially when the child is a teenager.

(A bit of psychological rambling below - not a professional, mind you, so just my own view)

It's easy to look at something like that and point to his mother's reaction as proof that she does love him - enough that she was willing to go against her revulsion of lying* to try and help him (as she saw it); so Greg's implication that she didn't love him is pretty clearly wrong... and, to be honest, he probably knows it. He just... needs to express his frustration to her somehow and doesn't know a better way than to attack.

Granted, it's been a long while (decades) since I had such a parent-teenager confrontation, but from what I remember, there's this urge to go on the offense in a certain way. It's not just about trying to lash out and hurt someone who hurt you though. You believe that your parent doesn't get it, and in not in an "you don't understand me" way, but in a Very Serious Way. They're not listening, not willing to acknowledge the injustice they're inflicting on you. So you want to... well, almost slap some sense into them; specifically, you want to signal "you've done something so bad to me that I now think you don't love me".

And really, you do know they love you. But you want to frighten them, make them stop and think, shock them into retreating. You want them to realize just what they're doing to you.

And in this case... well, his mother does have something very wrong going on. His father's interactions with her really damaged her ability to interact with her son - she's completely petrified that Greg'll grow up to be just like his father. That he'll no longer love her, that he'll leave her. Him having a girlfriend she doesn't already know well? Instantly turns into him preparing to string along maybe even dozens of girls. That girlfriend being attractive? Only shows that she's a hussy (like the other women his father were involved with). Him working out/getting fit? He's motivated by the desire to womanize. Him becoming more confident? He's growing into his father.

She looks for a reason for his 'changing', thinking it's happening too fast, and fastens on the in-setting cause of at least some such differences. He's turned into a parahuman - and since he wouldn't admit it to her, now he's a confirmed liar... just like his father.

Even the talk about how the Wards would be the "safest" place for him has another layer - safest also for her and her determination that he not become his father. After all, the government would surely keep an eye on him, prevent him from doing anything salacious (to protect their image, if nothing else) and the effectively-mandatory part-time job would keep him too busy to spend time with paramours.

She's this mixture of pathologically afraid of what Greg might become and pathologically afraid of anything happening to him.

He's wrong, of course. His father (assuming he's as his mother claims) would probably not try and force Greg into the Wards not necessarily out of love, but because he probably wouldn't care. And his mother does love him... but she feels like she has rather more in common with Brandish than a more well-adjusted parent.

* And this is where she went "way too far" herself. She didn't just betray his trust by trying to turn him in to a government that he is quite suspicious of, but then lied to him about it. Which wouldn't have changed him having to go down to the station, as it were, but was an attempt to get him to not hate her for it afterwards. Not a very well-thought-out one, of course; as Greg points out, there aren't exactly very many suspects for a tip.

EDIT:

"No, go ahead. Who's stopping you, Greg? Join the football team and run around with as many sluts that'll have you. You already have one," she hissed, her own hands in fists now. "Why stop there? You'll get bored of her before you know it! You always do!"

Me? Greg blinked in confusion, stunned by his mom's crying rant as much as what she was actually saying. "Mo-"

Oh yeah - definitely this is a deep-rooted fear. Actually... I'm now wondering if this isn't the first time she's blended Greg and his father together in her mind. She puts rules around him that she wasn't able to put around his father, she keeps him close like she couldn't his father...

Yeah, definitely not healthy.

Last edited:
Back