Good People (Worm/Shadowrun)

I guess my confusion is actually what are industrial agriculture outfits doing after they bought out the dairy and tobacco farms, don't they now own that land. Is this some non compete thing, where they don't want to increase their farms, they just want the competition gone.
No, I don't think they're getting on the farms that the outfits own, it's the fact the outfits are spreading into their area which reduces the farmer's profits, which makes them pack up and sell, and which the Amish then buy because they don't care about profits the same way.

Basically imagine if you used to be a part of a small community of farmers, and then Big Cow bought up half of your neighbours and is undercutting you through economies of scale - selling your farm to someone who you know will care for it (because an Amish will absolutely keep it running, and won't knock over your house like a megafarm) becomes much more attractive.

No, I don't think they're getting on the farms that the outfits own, it's the fact the outfits are spreading into their area which reduces the farmer's profits, which makes them pack up and sell, and which the Amish then buy because they don't care about profits the same way.

Basically imagine if you used to be a part of a small community of farmers, and then Big Cow bought up half of your neighbours and is undercutting you through economies of scale - selling your farm to someone who you know will care for it (because an Amish will absolutely keep it running, and won't knock over your house like a megafarm) becomes much more attractive.

Replace Amish with Mennonite and I can confirm this is basically how it works in my area albeit the scale of some of those operations can definitely approach megafarms in some cases, and it often is a case of less 'know will care for it' and more they just give better offers and are more willing to negotiate.

Recompile = 6.06
Recompile - 6.06

We knew the front door was never going to work. It wasn't the online security, necessarily, but all the details around the online security. The entrance to the datacentre was in the same building as the mall, which meant the fundamental character of the space abruptly changed from one that encouraged visitors to one that had orders to detain them. That necessitated a liminal space between the two worlds that was packed with every security measure Renraku could afford.

As one of the world's largest corporations, that meant a wide atrium between mall and datacentre that functioned as a killing floor; a lobby that had been sculpted to appeal to the people who used it every day, but that was devoid of cover and had firing points built into the very architecture. It meant mantraps designed to ensure employees could only enter one at a time, with a weight sensor in the floor to verify that there really was only one of them. It meant iris recognition scanners, System Identification Number checks, magnetic anomaly detectors and a wagemage with a bound spirit monitoring the astral plane for anything out of the ordinary.

Imp had evaded at least some of those before, or so she claimed, but never all at once. She'd been animated back in the loft when we went through the plan; boasting with unrepressed glee about how she'd raided luxury high-rises, jewellery stores, boutique fashion outlets and private art collections. Even when I pointed out that she'd never tangled with a megacorp it wasn't enough to dampen her sails. She simply smirked, pointed to the building plans and said that it didn't matter how secure the front door was when she could just open another.

She'd timed her entrance well; a short human in a business blouse was stepping out onto the balcony with a disposable cup of soykaf in one hand and a cigarette in the other. In the matrix, the automated door registered two authorised SINs and slid open. If one of them didn't have permission to access the building's secure host – and, by extension, the building itself – the door would have locked itself, dropped the inner shutters over the windows and the outer shutters over the balcony, and deployed the two automated turrets nestled in the ceiling to complete the kill-box.

The trick to burglary, Imp had remarked, is that, no matter how secure somewhere is, people still have to live in it. The balcony ran along the mid-point of the tower, equidistant between the highest and lowest offices. If you were a Renraku architect designing your new building with a head full of buzzwords like "human factors" and "time in motion" then it would make sense to place the communal areas where they could be accessed by everyone in the shortest amount of time.

That included the balcony. No doubt some extensive research had generated the grudging conclusion that metahumans functioned better with the occasional exposure to fresh air and natural light, so the balcony was installed as a way of providing that without anyone actually leaving their workplace. The door to the balcony worked on the principal that those accessing it had already passed through the security measures on the ground floor, which made it an oversight we could exploit.

It was all guesswork, of course – we didn't have the time or the access needed for real reconnaissance – but it had paid off. Looking through Imp's camera feed, I saw a spotless and almost empty cafeteria, with long white tables in the centre of the space and smaller booths hugging the walls. A smattering of office workers occupied some of the booths, nursing cups of soykaf, but it was clearly long past the lunch rush and the long counters of food were empty and unlit save for a few prepackaged goods next to the till.

"It's like they designed it to suck your soul out," Imp remarked, taking in the crisp and minimalist corporate décor.

"It's a cafeteria, not a dining room," I countered. "Time spent in here is time not spent working."

Imp let out a sharp breath, her hand unconsciously drifting towards a plastic-wrapped mochi ball before she thought better of it. "No way to live."

"There are a lot of people who would disagree," I mused, "but you're with the right sort now."

"I was before," she snapped back, "but I bet Alec could do something really nice with all these white walls."

"Regent when we're on the job, even over comms," I said in rebuke. "But seriously? Think he'd have the patience to paint all that?"

"Fraggin' obviously," Imp shot back. "I can't paint for drek, but I know what's wiz. Regent could've had all the cred and slots he wanted back in the Troupe."

There was something in the way she'd said it that made me pause. I'd noted Regent's artwork on the doors and the walls of the loft when I first joined the team, but it had long since faded into the background of my mind. As I thought about it in more detail, however, I found I had trouble reconciling the art with Regent's lethargic attitude.

For him to put in that much effort – not just into creating art, but becoming better at the craft – it must be a real passion of his.

I cleared my thoughts, mentally shaking my head. I needed to get back to the here and now.

"Hold tight for a second, I'm going to snoop around the matrix."

Unlike a lot of the other hosts I'd visited, the datacentre's matrix mirror bore no resemblance whatsoever to the meatspace tower. It wasn't just in the visual layer, but in the layout of the host itself. Most of the hosts I'd visited that had been tied to a specific physical location had been meant to invite in visitors from outside. Typically, that meant the host mirrored the structure of the building, with each icon and device positioned exactly where it sat in meatspace.

The datacentre was a workplace, however, which meant its users were expected to be familiar with a different layout designed around encouraging efficiency, which meant something different in the matrix. To further add to the confusion, this host was meant to be accessed by IT professionals, which meant it had very little of the handholding you'd expect for a workforce who might otherwise be creeped out by pure VR.

There was no gravity, no sense of up and down, not even any real light in the traditional sense. Put a matrix novice like Tattletale in the host and she'd come out puking her guts up with vertigo, but for corporate codeslaves it meant they could move their persona from one device to another instantaneously, dealing with the pure essence of a thing rather than being limited by a metahuman-friendly shell.

I felt right at home as I navigated from one node to another, staying clear of blaring red firewalls for now as I examined what my limited access allowed me. Every now and then a piece of patrol IC – rendered as a hollow shell of red light that vaguely resembled a stylised eye – would scan me, but I had permission to be in the host and I hadn't yet broken any of its rules. That was enough for their simple programming.

The nature of the host meant that there wouldn't be anything so obvious as a map on the wall, but that was nothing a little unorthodox thinking couldn't fix. I found what I was looking for in the facilities subsystem, nestled in and amongst the governing OS of the elevators. As I'd hoped, the display did more than just show off the floor number; it also displayed the departments present on each. No doubt some designer somewhere had decided that would make for a user-friendly touch.

Well, I'm a user, I thought to myself, and I find it very friendly indeed.

"Thirteenth floor," I said to Imp. "Head for the elevators and hang around until one opens."

"What about the stairs?" she asked.

"Alarmed," I guessed. "Nobody uses the stairs in a place like this."

Imp snorted. "'Course they don't. Bunch of chair-jockeys and wireheads."

"Well aren't you lucky I don't need wires?" I countered. "Get moving, meathead."

"Swing and a miss, girl. Try and come up with something better for next time."

"Like 'wirehead' is high art?" I snapped. "It's a middle school insult."

"Which is weird, right? 'Cos I didn't go to middle school."

Abruptly, Tattletale's whispered voice came through on the shared channel.

"Girls, girls, you're both pretty, but let's keep our mind on the job, okay? There's no need to test just how soundproof that fancy suit is."

"Right, yeah," I said, losing myself in the matrix for a moment as I tried to centre myself. If I'm going to step up, I need to stop being drawn into petty shit like that. Imp isn't going to change, so just grit your teeth and deal.

When I looked back at Imp's feed, I found her slowly pacing from side to side outside a bank of elevators. They weren't the glass-fronted ones I'd spotted hugging the walls of the building; those were reserved for executives and poking them would draw too much attention in the matrix. Instead, she was at the very core of the structure waiting for someone to come along and push the button for her.

"So is this what it's normally like?" Imp asked after a minute or two. "I mean, not exactly. I don't see any of you climbing up the side of a building."

"Honestly, I don't think I could pin down any of the jobs I've done and call it 'normal,'" I answered. "Each one's been different and, so far, a lot larger than the one before."

"It means we're moving up in the world," Tattletale chimed in. "We're constantly pushing at our limits and discovering they're further away than we thought."

"Can't climb forever," Imp countered, with a little of the emotion I'd noticed in my apartment. "At some point, you'll reach the roof. Then there's only one way down."

"Which is why it's important to be careful," I said, thinking I could turn her melancholy into a lesson. "To see problems coming before we have to face them."

"That's not how it-" Imp began, before she cut herself off as a pair of wageslaves entered the room and moved over to one of the elevators, one of them waving a hand over the sensor built into the display. They were both women – a heavy-set human and a surprisingly tall and thin dwarf – and both were dressed in corporate attire that was as professional as it was severe, with tight skirts in dark colours and light blouses in different shades of red. Their commlinks were broadcasting their Renraku SINs to the building's host, identifying them as Lila Wong and Leticia Boone and linking them to the marketing department.

As the elevator doors slid open, Imp sidled in after the two women while they continued their conversation, completely oblivious to their small gang of eavesdroppers.

"I just don't see the point," the dwarf – Leticia – was complaining. "I get having it there, but why do we have to submit one every month? Isn't it supposed to be an emergency thing?"

"I bet it's not actually mandatory," Lila mused, "it just helps Reynolds' metrics to have each employee putting in one 'active security' form a month."

"How does that make sense? Surely having that many risks reported would make his superiors think he's incompetent?"

The human turned and leant against the wall, looking down at her colleague as she explained, while Imp slowly waved an invisible hand in front of her face.

"Think about it. Corporate made those forms because they want them to be used; it's not about the actual issues raised, it's about Reynolds showing that he's receiving and actioning those forms. That way the c-suite knows he's being proactive about security, not just resting on his laurels."

"I guess that makes sense. It's just a pain to come up with a new one each month."

"I'll let you in on a trick." The human leant in, faux-conspiratorially. "Pick an issue they can't fix and just put that one in each month. We have to pass through the mall on our way out, so I just say that there's a risk due to non-citizens sharing a space with our research staff. They can't change the whole building to fix it, so I can just copy in the same paragraph each month."

"That works?" the dwarf asked, though she trailed off as the elevator doors slid open again.

The sight that greeted us chilled me to the bone. Even Imp was rattled, taking a half-step back and muttering "Holy shit."

The corporate samurai – there was no way he could be anything else – was dressed in a set of black ballistic armour that had been styled to resemble his historic counterpart, down to the sculpted snarling face on the ballistic mask attached to his helmet. He was carrying a rifle – a short-barrelled weapon with the magazine located behind the trigger – and he wore the katana and wakizashi that signified his rank in sheathes on his webbing belt.

He could have walked straight off the set of any number of trideo shows, films or games. He was a cultural icon made manifest; the embodiment of Renraku's Bushido ethos, repackaging Japanese imperialism for the corporate age. He was an image they promoted to the world through every means at their disposal; the reason Grue was called a 'street samurai,' rather than a cowboy or a soldier. Even I'd watched a few episodes of Sentai Samurai when I was a kid, before mom put a stop to it.

This particular action hero had a rank tab on either side of the collar of his armour – a metal star between two red lines – and his own SIN identified him as First Lieutenant Miguel Gutierrez, though his name was almost buried beneath the identifier for his social class.

"Good afternoon, sir," Lila said, clasping her hands in front of her and giving the samurai a short bow. Her colleague followed suit almost immediately. I'd heard rumours that Renraku's samurai had the authority and even the obligation to kill anyone who disrespected them or the corporation and, in that moment, I fully believed it. There was something in the way he carried himself – proud and upright even in full armour – that seemed to radiate uncompromising, ruthless loyalty.

He paid the two marketers no mind, turning his back on them before thumbing the button for two floors up. Imp stood uncharacteristically still and silent, her head shifting as she looked the samurai up and down.

"Fucking nova." She almost breathed the word, her fear gone and her whispered tone carrying something close to awe. "Now this is what I was expecting when you said we were running against Renraku."

"Quiet down," Tattletale whispered back. "He'll have chrome. Maybe enhanced hearing."

When the samurai left the elevator two floors later the two wageslaves seemed to relax, letting out an almost imperceptible sigh of relief. They didn't say another word as the elevator continued its journey up to the thirteenth floor, where I reached out and brought it to a stop.

The two women looked at each other with faintly puzzled expressions as the doors slid open and Imp sidled out into the corridor, but they didn't comment on it. No doubt they'd blame it on some system glitch accidentally summoning two elevators to the same floor.

Judging by the information I'd been able to gleam from the elevator, the thirteenth floor was the topmost of five levels dedicated to managing the datacentre's network infrastructure, supporting Renraku's grid in this part of the world and maintaining the networks of telecommunications systems that were meant for both Renraku's many clients and to support the megacorporation's own world-wide systems.

As I moved my persona towards the fortress-like node of data that was associated with the devices around Imp, I saw that the physical workplaces were organised hierarchically. The thirteenth floor was the closest to the executives on the fifteenth floor, so it dealt with the most secure and lucrative systems.

The details of what those systems might have been was frustratingly obscured from me behind another layer of security. I'd gained access to the host, but it was the sort of access that all its employees would have had, albeit with a few more permissions than most. Peering closer at the glaring red firewalls in front of me, I saw that the cube-like node was actually an entrance to an entirely separate host within a host.

It was processing a staggering amount of data, visible as strands of light linking it to other devices within the wider building before leaving for a myriad of destinations unseen. I knew that if I teased apart the encryption on one of those transmissions I'd find an impenetrably dense mass of code; the compacted communications information from hundreds of thousands of different devices transmitted in a single inviolate beam.

I could also see the layers of security as they shifted around the constant streams of data. It was a morass of hidden pitfalls and sharp code, all of it bristling with sensors ready to log any intrusion and flood the host with countermeasures in response. I was afraid to even go near it, never mind try and break through, but that was what Imp was for.

She'd begun to creep her way through the corridors of the software hub, passing the occasional employee. Some were dressed in typically severe business attire but most wore tight-fitting cooler suits designed to keep their body temperature low while their internal cyberdecks burned with the amount of data they were processing. Their datajacks were far more invasive than I was used to; many of them had replaced their entire cranium with cyberware, the backs of their heads exposed to reveal a port linked directly to their brain to remove even the miniscule latency that came from a wireless connection.

They plugged those datajacks into recliners that were visible through the glass walls on either side of the corridor, then plugged the suits into feeds that injected coolant and nutrients, along with others that removed waste to allow them to work in the matrix uninterrupted for the entire length of their shift. The décor of the floor was all dark colours and dull lighting that only emphasised the blinking red lights on the esoteric machinery.

The people were more than gloomy enough to match their environment; their flesh was pallid, their eyes sunken, their bodies almost universally gaunt under the effects of a mostly drip-fed diet. They lived almost their entire lives in the matrix. Many of them must have been diving since they were in elementary school, when they were first tested for aptitude before being raised by Renraku for this specific purpose.

If I hadn't inherited my mother's stony complexion, I'd probably look a lot like them by now.

"That's no way to live," Imp remarked as she stepped out of the way of a passing programmer.

"You're only seeing meatspace," I countered. "But I get your point."

Besides the recliners and banks of blinking servers, the purpose of each room was utterly indeterminable. All the relevant augmented reality icons were powered by the host I couldn't access.

"Find someone on their own," I said. "Somewhere with low foot traffic. We don't want anyone walking in."

"Whatever you say."

"Tattletale, are we still good?"

"The mall's the same as ever," Tattletale answered. "I've bought another cute top, but they didn't have anything in your size."

"Figures," I said, with a metaphorical shrug of my shoulders. "So we're clear?"

"No corporate goons storming through just yet. I've called the taxi back. I'll rendezvous with Bitch and lurk nearby in case things go south."

"We're parked up in a gas station," the cyborg herself interjected. "Ready to move."

"Stay put for now, Bitch" I said. "Security here is heavier than you can handle and Tattletale will come to you. We play this quiet for as long as we can."

"Understood," came her terse reply.

"Hey, Regent," Imp interjected, "I hope your ass ain't getting sore from sitting around while I do all the real work."

"I'm too pretty to go crawling through air ducts," Regent countered in a languid tone. "Besides, I don't have to; we've hired a new minion for that."

"Keep the channel clear," I snapped. "I don't need you two bickering inside my head."

"As you command, my unrelenting overlord."

Imp snickered as I put Regent on mute.

Blissful silence followed as I returned my attention to the matrix. I was starting to pick out individual strands of data from the encrypted masses. Enough to catch the substance of a transmission, rather than the content. What I saw was the signature of dozens of databases that no doubt belonged to different corporate or government entities who paid Renraku to manage their most secure networks. The potential paydata here would be worth a small fortune to the right buyers, but I knew that dipping my fingers in the pot would risk the discovery of the tap I was supposed to install.

Still, it was tempting.

"How's this?" Imp's voice came through the channel, drawing my attention away from the matrix once again.

She was somewhere off the main rows of virtual offices, peering through a narrow glass window mounted in the door of an otherwise windowless room. Inside, the space was as spartan as any other office on this floor but the decker inside was old, with a shaggy grey beard and long hair that was definitely not within Renraku's uniform regulations. His cooler suit also looked custom made, though it was still in corporate black and red.

"Good pick," Tattletale chimed in. "I'm guessing this guy's way off in his own corner somewhere?"

"He looks like long-term technical staff," I said in agreement. "Some old-timer who knows how all the pre-crash spaghetti code works, so they coddle him with higher pay and his own office far away from the colleagues he hates."

"Makes it risky for you, right?" Imp asked. "I mean, it's like a kid in a judo class going up against a master adept."

"Hacking isn't martial arts," I countered, with a little indignant pride. "All the old timers know is old stuff. Good for grunt work in the corporate trenches, but when you're slinging code against code it's evolve or die. He'll do."

Imp reached out and opened the door, closing it soundlessly behind her before sidling across the room to the programmer's recliner. As I'd expected, the back of his head was a mess of cables interwoven with strands of hair, plugged into what looked like an entirely custom hot-sim rig that seemed to be about twenty years old, though it had undergone some modern upgrades here and there.

There was even an old-school cyberdeck incorporated onto the side of the system – essentially a large processor the size of a keyboard with actual, physical keys for inputting data, though it seemed nobody had touched them in a while. I had to hope the components inside were newer than the casing, otherwise I despaired for the state of the world's corporate overlords.

I watched as Imp took a moment to peer back out into the corridor before decloaking, the red AR overlay disappearing as her arms shimmered back into view. She reached down, opened up a pouch on her belt and removed the commlink inside. I'd idiot-proofed it by plugging in the datajack before I gave it to her, but Imp still hesitated as she looked over the programmer's cyberware.

"Hey, tech support, this guy has like fourteen slots on his head and most of them have shit plugged in them. Where am I supposed to jam this doodad?"

It only took me a moment to sort through the forest of different adaptors, like a museum piece charting the changing nature of USB ports over the last thirty years.

"Under his ear. The second one down."

"Alright, here we go…"

If the programmer was paranoid – or even just smart – he'd have shut down all his open ports before he dove into hot-sim virtual reality, but I was gambling that he wasn't the former and hoping that he wasn't the latter either. We were on the thirteenth floor of a megacorporate tower, inside a walled and guarded compound that was sovereign corporate territory. In an environment like that, why bother with paranoia?

Vindication came in the form of a tightly-woven firewall that flared up at my approach. Slightly surprisingly, it was stock Renraku technology of the sort that was available on the public market. Smothering the transmission it tried to send was child's play, which gave me plenty of time to slowly tease away the layers of encryption. I wondered if the programmer had designed the soft and trusted his own work, or if most of the devices he used had older ports so he never bothered upgrading the security on his most modern connection.

As the firewall gave way, I crept into the programmer's mind like a thief in the night as the very structure of his consciousness was laid bare before me in an ordered network of processing units and man-machine interfaces. His headware was almost totally intrusive; he'd set up a macro to automatically duplicate his brain's memories into digital storage, which left part of me wondering if I could exploit a connection like that to edit his organic mind.

I could certainly watch his brain activity through the ebb and flow of the device; neurons passing down nanofibreoptic cables between different pieces of cyberware that were sometimes decades apart in age before flowing out through the tight bundle of wired connections linking him to the cyberdeck built into his recliner, and from there into the host itself.

His mark was a scrawled and stylised crown, almost like a gang sign. Once I'd duplicated it, seizing its permissions for myself, I turned my attention outwards and followed the neural pathways through into the host. Inevitably, that led me to where the programmer – 'The Duke,' according to the signature scrawled on his code – was hard at work maintaining an aged and byzantine piece of bloatware simply titled 'dukesmathworkaround.' The number of seemingly vital systems that were tied to that cancerous abomination of code was frankly concerning, like walking into a house and seeing fifteen plugs put through an adapter into one socket.

Fortunately, his persona – a sculpted and idealised version of his twenty-year old self whose kimono was open far enough to expose a set of abs that were so chiselled they fell well into the uncanny valley – was utterly engrossed in the modifications he was making to his masterpiece, so he didn't even notice the sudden duplicate persona that appeared next to him as I stepped out and into the nested host.

On the surface, it was in the same style as the wider building host; a black void occupied by glowing red shapes that represented programs and systems. Immediately, however, I could tell that the systems within were greater in every way than those without. Size doesn't mean much in the matrix – at least, in a host as close to the bare code as this one – but the icons around me seemed to almost loom with malevolent density.

In and amongst those monuments of coding, smaller icons flitted throughout the space like ants as they made adjustments, corrected errors and smoothed out known issues in the software before the networks' operators even knew they were there. Maintenance was cheaper than fixing the issue, after all. Shutting down a network for repairs meant losing income.

Some of the icons focused their attention on the personas, not the nodes; patrol IC maintaining a ceaseless vigil even three layers deep into Renraku's domain. At the sight of them I reached out and drew on the ambient resonance around me, weaving it into a fog that would obfuscate me from all but the most intrusive sensors.

I drifted towards the closest node until it loomed above me, pulsing with the ebb and flow of activity. The surface of it almost resembled a waterfall of glowing red code, bunched together into a single mass of data. I reached out a single finger towards that system, going as slowly as I dared until a single spark passed between the code and the resonance that gave me form.

What I saw sent me flinching back, not physically harmed but shocked to my core. It was an account of alert systems, perimeter warnings, smart minefields and thousands of networked hunter-killer drones all waiting in pregnant anticipation as a whole host of sensors from motion trackers, to RADAR systems, to a trio of orbital satellites filtered incoming data through algorithms that categorised each intruder into two types; threats and non-threats.

It didn't belong to Renraku's military. The towns and counties it covered were familiar to me from the occasional news report of one incident or another along the border, but it wasn't the UCAS' military either. As I followed the path of the data leaving the node, I knew that if I could somehow see beyond the confines of the host I'd be able to rise that thread all the way to Cheyenne and the headquarters of the Sioux Nation's military.

The idea that the militaristic Native American Nation would countenance their border security network being hosted within the borders of the very adversary that network was made to watch, even protected by Renraku's extraterritoriality, was laughable.

Do they even know? I wondered with a start. How would they, if Renraku didn't tell them?

I left the military network behind. It wasn't what I was looking for, but it did make me see the data-fortresses around me in a new light. I knew this was where Renraku kept some of their most vital North American digital assets, but it was one thing to know that on an intellectual level and another thing entirely to see what that really meant.

I was so focused on the other nodes around me that I almost didn't see the Patrol IC languidly drifting through the ether towards me, its sensors feeling out every node, icon and datastream around it. It looked different to the others in the host; its body was an elongated red stream of light with smaller shards jutting out down its length like a fish's ribcage.

Despite its unusual appearance it behaved exactly as I expected; reaching out and brushing a probe over me as it hunted for any discrepancies. Nothing was truly invisible in the matrix – nothing had a physical form to hide – but through the fog that surrounded me I was able to baffle and confuse the perceptions of programs and people.

What wasn't expecting was the way the IC didn't immediately move on upon failing to detect anything it could categorise. Instead, it drifted closer with the languid movements of an eel as it seemed almost to swim in the resonance around me.

A deep and primal dread crept up my spine, as Calvert's warning rose unbidden in my mind.

Hurriedly, I peered closer at the… entity. Its code was almost semi-transparent, like some deep sea creature unused to the light. I could make out an engineered base structure that resembled a true Patrol-model Intrusion Countermeasure, but it had been warped and twisted to the point of being nearly unrecognisable. Looking at that code, it seemed to me that it had evolved, rather than been made.

Did it happen here? Or did Renraku move it here because it was valuable?

I didn't have time to speculate. There was no point in avoiding the term; I was face to face with an artificial intelligence. It wasn't the world-threatening AI I knew from matrix myth and legend, it was more animalistic than that. Protosapient, rather than possessing true intelligence, but a sniffer dog didn't need sapience to know to find its handler when it encountered something strange.

I peered closer at the AI, trying to find a weakness I could exploit to kill it faster than it could send out an alert. I reached out with the resonance, suffusing its digital organs in an attempt to discern their purpose, and I came across something close to a stomach.

It ran along the 'spine' of the entity, the core of which was actually formed from slowly-fragmenting files. From the outside, I could only make out corrupt scraps of junk data that had nothing to do with the databases in this host. It was all rounding errors and abandoned drafts; the flotsam and jetsam of an online system that would otherwise be deleted out of hand. Instead, it had found its way into the AI's body.

Thinking quickly, I spun together a strand of resonance into an utterly alien data file then held it out to the frolicking AI, letting the fog fade just enough that it could see me. It was a tremendous risk that would be downright suicide against any program, but if its mind was even remotely similar to a flesh-and-blood animal then I was in with a chance.

The AI spotted me immediately, of course. I could feel the weight of its attention on me in a caress of alien datastreams. It knew what it was supposed to do in a situation like this; raise the alarm and receive a parcel of data as a reward. If I'd been anyone else, it might have done so, but I was gambling on the likelihood that I was the first technomancer it had ever encountered.

Curiosity was one of the hallmarks of sentience. It was what had drawn the AI to my enshrouding fog and it was what had it edge closer towards me, swimming around my persona before its attention finally lighted on the resonance-made file in my outstretched hand.

I let go of my hold on the data, leaving it to float freely in the matrix, and the AI immediately rushed forwards. I didn't know what to expect until the AI coiled itself tightly around the file, driving its pseudo-ribs into the resonance as it drew the alien data out and into its spine, its code shimmering in something akin to delight.

With its hunger sated by the single most interesting meal it had ever eaten, the AI circled me twice once more before swimming off into the host. I let out a metaphorical breath, hurriedly reforming the fog around me. I'd be trembling if I could, instead it felt like my mind was operating on a disjointed staccato beat.

One by one, I drew close enough to discern the broad function of each node I came to, passing over NYPD Inc's criminal database, the stock trading records of Renraku's financial services AI and the orbital satellite data of Ganbare Aerospace, a Renraku-owned subsidiary, before finally finding the comparatively smaller node that hosted the North American hub of the 'Myo' telecommunications network.

As I pushed my way into the system, I was very careful not to interact with it in any way that a programmer wouldn't. I wanted to keep any trace of my presence as minimal as possible, which meant going around obstructions rather than through them.

It took me a while to make sense of the filepaths, but eventually I was able to navigate my way down from folder to folder until I'd reached the section that contained client data. Part of what set the Myo network apart from the competition – at least, according to the brochure – was that each package came with its own private network, so in the unlikely event of a data breach only a handful of people would actually be affected. It also disincentivised random scraping, as you'd never be able to get the data of more than a single family or business group.

Of course, that same business model suited my purposes exactly.

I found what I was looking for filed under A for Anders, with a long string of appended address and service data that only helped confirm that I had the right location. There were about two dozen different devices paired to the network; enough commlinks, tablets, laptops and sundries to cover every member of the Anders family and all linked to a network in miniature right before my eyes.

It would have been trivial to leave my mark in the node but it would also have been trivial for Renraku to find it in even the most basic file integrity check. Instead, I sent it out in a routine upload/download transmission that occurred every two seconds, ensuring the data on each device was synced with the cloud and vice versa.

It would allow me to directly access the devices from outside the network without the inherent risk involved in routing the tap through this central Renraku hub.

I didn't check whether I was successful – again, there was too much risk involved in receiving transmissions to this host – but I did allow myself a small feeling of satisfaction as I turned away from the node.

That feeling was smothered in its crib as I saw the AI swimming across the host towards me, dragging the Duke along behind it with all the eagerness of a puppy who wanted to show its favourite person the cool new thing it found.

I didn't even stop to think, just darted across the host in an instant and dragged a spike of resonance down the length of the programmer's persona, overloading the firewalls of his old tech and leaving a great rent of fragmented data in his cyberdeck. It wasn't enough to dump him out, but it did stun him for the vital second I needed to act.

I screamed, spilling a chittering, writhing storm of resonance out of my persona and into the host. The AI shuddered, its ribs jerking and flickering like static while I drew together another resonance spike, far denser than the first.

I picked a target at random, driving the spike into the Sioux military network before flooding junk data through the breach I'd created. The defence grid's firewalls writhed like a living thing but my attack had already spilled through into the network, exploiting a directional weak point the system's designers thought could never be reached.

The vivid red glow of the node flickered as code struggled and failed to travel down pathways that had been warped by the influence of my alien data. Automated repair software and partial rollbacks were already being activated across the system, but that would take time.

For the next thirty seconds, give or take, the Sioux Nation's border with the United Canadian and American States would go entirely unmonitored. Hopefully that would be a big enough smokescreen to hide my real purpose.

I felt a sharp pain ripple through my very essence as the AI wrapped itself around me, its ribs digging into my persona and draining the very life out of me. Hurriedly, I tore frantically at the protosapient, trying to dislodge it even as I spun together a wasp sprite from the leaking essence the AI wasn't able to consume in time.

With a herculean effort and an almost indescribable stab of pure agony, I was able to prize the AI off my body and fling it away with a targeted burst of force. A single thought was all it took to have the wasp go in for the kill, harrying the AI in a duel between the wildlife of the matrix and the resonance realms.

I had no intention of staying to see which emerged on top, instead diving back through the programmer's persona and emerging out into the datacentre's host.

"Run!" I shouted through the shared channel the moment I could access it again.

For all her laid back insolence, Imp didn't even hesitate as she threw open the door and sprinted out into the corridor, drawing her pistol so fast I couldn't even catch the motion before she put a burst of three bullets into a turret that had emerged from the ceiling.

She rounded the corner, kicking off the far wall to help her turn before shoving aside a cooler-suited programmer who was watching her slack-jawed, a cup of soykaf flying from his hand. Another turret fell to a tight burst of shots before she practically ran into her first metahuman security guard; an ork in a utilitarian black uniform who didn't even have a chance to raise his submachine gun before she slammed the butt of her pistol into his throat.

In the matrix, I had my own problems to deal with. The entire datacentre had gone onto full alert, with IC materialising all around me as the host's immune system tried to purge itself of infection. I was surrounded by a wailing, thrashing mob of programs each trying their best to rip my persona to shreds like a pack of feral dogs.

There was no form to them. Each was a mere geometric shape that evoked their true function, their attacks uploaded directly without any unnecessarily flair for the benefit of trideo-rotted meat brains. There was something terrifying about it; here was a megacorporation that came close to seeing the matrix as I did.

I drove a spike into a rotating red cube, fragmenting it into nothingness even as another attacked me from the side, digging in a barbed program that pulled at my neurons, slowing me down. I kept up a constant scream, resonance spilling out of me as a million burning fireflies even as I simultaneously sliced out at IC, spun together a trio of sprites and kept Imp's physical location on the periphery of my consciousness.

"Elevator!" I shouted, even as I allowed a crackling storm of red circuitry to send a jolt through my persona, tanking the blow so that I could divert part of my strength to forcing open a pair of elevator doors.

In meatspace, Imp shot another security guard at point-blank range before sprinting towards the slowly opening metal doors. Her stride was relentless and unfaltering, even as the doors opened to reveal nothing but an empty shaft. Without a second thought, she dove with a partial front flip into the void, firing a last upside-down burst at a human with a submachine gun before wrapping her thighs around the cable and sliding down the shaft, continuing headfirst into perfect darkness as I slammed the way shut behind her.

Her rapid descent freed up precious seconds in which I could devote my attention solely and completely to the matrix. The IC had its hooks in me, each chink in my armour a breach they could use to flood me with data. It was agonising, each attack feeling like my very soul was being frayed away. I couldn't repair the damage – couldn't bring enough of myself together to even make the attempt – but each line of attack was a vector I could use.

I dove deep into myself, twisting the underlying essence of my persona until it resonated with the incoming attacks, sending back sonorous echoes of reflected damage that began to shake apart the most effective IC. My wasps dove in and among the swarm, dancing to my tune as they prioritised the weakened countermeasures to reduce the sheer amount of assailants that harried me.

Aisha was level with the sixth floor, the fifth. I dove back into the elevator system and wrenched open the doors to the third floor, just above the stationary elevator car, and watched through her visor as she twisted herself around the cable and leapt out into the corridor, rolling as she landed and sprang up into the face of the corporate samurai.

He raised his rifle with the preternatural speed of wired reflexes, only for Imp to slap it aside and grab hold of his wrist, pulling him towards her before ducking under his left shoulder. When she turned back to look at him, the rifle was on the floor and the samurai's katana was in Imp's hand.

I watched in appalled, powerless disbelief as Imp abandoned her flight in favour of swinging the sword with all the grace of a circus performer, only for the samurai to hurriedly draw his wakizashi and block the longer blade with the clang of steel on steel.

Another attack dragged my attention away from the feed. The IC facing me was new; an ominous red prism pulsing with black light. Its attacks stung like nothing I'd felt since coming face to face with the Yakuza hacker on my first real job. Black IC. They weren't trying to brick my persona and track my location anymore; they were trying to kill me.

A pair of personas were hovering on the periphery of the fight, datastreams linking them to their programs as they directed the IC like they were playing a strategy game. I snarled, battering aside one program after another as I forced my way through the melee, using my sprites like living shields to intercept attacks and cut a path out of the rapidly-accumulating graveyard of scrapcode and diffused resonance.

The security spiders reacted as I'd desperately hoped they would, dismissing some of the host's countermeasures as they redirected the processing power to form a wall of Barrier IC between them and whatever the insane technomancer had planned. I could only imagine what I looked like to them, but at the last second I jerked away and made one last rush at Imp's suit.

"Stop fucking around and run!" I shouted through her earpiece. "Down the corridor, third office on the right! Through the window, cross the mall's roof and rendezvous in the parking lot! Going offline now!"

Before I closed the feed, I was just able to catch sight of Imp abruptly changing a forward stab into a downwards swing that slammed the katana into the samurai's rifle, lodging the blade in just above the magazine. She rolled under a blow from the samurai, kicked out at his shin then used the momentum of her kick to spring to her feet and resume her flight.

I followed suit, hacking away the hooks that had infected my persona before finally leaving the host and the matrix behind.

Real, physical pain flooded through my nervous system, jolting me awake so strongly that my back arched and I slammed my face against the ceiling of the coffin. Acting on instinct, I reached for my gun, shuffling forwards over the plastic mattress, now coated in a thin layer of sweat, with a patch of blood near where my head had laid and another on the ceiling where I'd spasmed so hard I'd broken my nose.

I drew my gun before kicking the coffin door open, wincing at the sound of metal shrieking and plastic snapping. The moment my feet hit the floor I swayed, stumbling forward until I was able to rest an arm against the vending machine to save myself from falling forward.

I wanted to lie down. I wanted to sleep for eighteen hours straight, to take some magic pill that'd clear the fog from my head, to be wheeled out of here by the divine intervention of another CrashCart ambulance crew. Instead I tightened my grip on my pistol and stumbled down the corridor, a blurred image that might have been a human man in a cheap suit pressing himself against the wall of coffins to get out of my way.

More blurred figures fled at the sight of me as I shambled my way into the elevator and down to the ground floor, where the bright lights of the small strip mall felt like staring into the heart of a thousand suns.

Someone blocked my path, shouting words I couldn't understand while his partner spoke frantic words I couldn't hear into her shoulder. I could make out peaked caps, ballistic vests and a gun in the man's hand.

My own hand rose up almost on automatic, the cybernetic limb guided unwaveringly by the signal coming off the smartlinked standard issue Minutemen Security Services pistol. I squeezed the trigger, a trio of shots flying straight and true into the pistol and the hand that held them. The man's partner grabbed him by the shoulder and pulled him aside, throwing down her own gun and kicking it away as I switched my arm's target lock to her AR-linked NeoNET cybereyes.

Part of my consciousness returned as I staggered out of the commercial building; enough to feel blissful relief as a familiar van pulled up in front of me, the side door sliding open as Regent and Tattletale rushed out, the former keeping his eyes trained on the building behind me while the latter prised the gun from my metal fingers and guided me by the arm into the back of the van.

I slumped down onto the floor, leaning against the back of the front seats as someone pulled the door shut and Bitch drove us out of the compound at a steady pace, already cycling the van's GridLink RFID chip so that we'd blend into the constant flow of commercial traffic.

I knew Tattletale was trying to get my attention, could see Imp staring down at me from one of the seats, her mask off and an indeterminable expression on her face, but I needed to make sure I'd done it.

Carefully, I sent out one last pulse of data out into the matrix. A microsecond later, I received a response from dozens of different devices, each linked to me by a solid tether of data that logged even the slightest piece of activity. Already my mind was racing with the desire to pour through the private secrets of the ultra-rich, but I wasn't sure I'd be able to comprehend even a single word in the state I was in.

Instead, I forwarded access to the data tap on to Calvert's system, not even waiting for an acknowledgement before I clasped Tattletale on the shoulder, flashed her a weary but triumphant grin and finally allowed myself to surrender to unconsciousness.

That was tense and thrilling from beginning to end. The way the protosapiant and Mr Old timer, someone she'd dismissed as "dealt with" were her downfall probably speaks to a flaw in her methods, but damn. She took on a Megacorp on home turf, and for all her purposes, won.

His mark was a scrawled and stylised crown, almost like a gang sign. Once I'd duplicated it, seizing its permissions for myself, I turned my attention outwards and followed the neural pathways through into the host. Inevitably, that led me to where the programmer – 'The Duke,' according to the signature scrawled on his code – was hard at work maintaining an aged and byzantine piece of bloatware simply titled 'dukesmathworkaround.' The number of seemingly vital systems that were tied to that cancerous abomination of code was frankly concerning, like walking into a house and seeing fifteen plugs put through an adapter into one socket.
Many such cases...

I enjoyed this. Lots of good set-up followed by relatively swift payoff, and the description of the AI was both interesting and got across Taylor's growing dread, like holding your breath and waiting for a strange animal to pass you by. Interested to see where Aisha and Taylor are headed, after their back-and-forth in this chapter.

Taylor overlooked a very significant rule - old doesn't mean obsolete. Or to put it another way, don't underestimate an old person in a young person's game. Whether that old decker made his own pet AI to help guard his work place or if he merely repurposed something that 'fell off the back of a truck,' doesn't change the fact that it not only sniffed her out but led old boy right to her, which nearly got her killed. But I suppose that she wouldn't be Taylor if she weren't recklessly overconfident.

"Hacking isn't martial arts," I countered, with a little indignant pride. "All the old timers know is old stuff. Good for grunt work in the corporate trenches, but when you're slinging code against code it's evolve or die. He'll do."
Pride goeth before a fall, Taylor

was hard at work maintaining an aged and byzantine piece of bloatware simply titled 'dukesmathworkaround.'
:rofl: :rofl:

COBOL uses all-caps names, but I guess this one is merely 'ancient', not 'antediluvian eldritch'

I watched in appalled, powerless disbelief as Imp abandoned her flight in favour of swinging the sword with all the grace of a circus performer, only for the samurai to hurriedly draw his wakizashi and block the longer blade with the clang of steel on steel.
Escape later, Samurai fight now!
Laughing because otherwise I'd be crying.
Taylor overlooked a very significant rule - old doesn't mean obsolete. Or to put it another way, don't underestimate an old person in a young person's game. Whether that old decker made his own pet AI to help guard his work place or if he merely repurposed something that 'fell off the back of a truck,' doesn't change the fact that it not only sniffed her out but led old boy right to her, which nearly got her killed. But I suppose that she wouldn't be Taylor if she weren't recklessly overconfident.
I wouldn't really call programing a young persons game, the real clue he shouldn't have been triffled with was that he managed to work around maths. Which is a pretty significant workaround.
COBOL uses all-caps names, but I guess this one is merely 'ancient', not 'antediluvian eldritch'
Worth remembering the date is in the 2070's or something. That was actually probably nodeJS or other contemporary-ish framework :V:p:D

Last edited:
I wouldn't really call programing a young persons game, the real clue he shouldn't have been triffled with was that he managed to work around maths. Which is a pretty significant workaround.

And yet, in the cyperpunk genre in general, there's a marked tendency for the dangerous and talented hackers to be young and gifted, and to marginalize or at the very least disparage those that have been doing the same thing for a lot longer than they have. Seems like they also get proven wrong more often than they're proven right, but I can't rightly say if that's the case more often than not or if that's merely my perception - I don't read cyberpunk as much as I used to.

However, if there's one thing I do know about programmers (mostly due to overexposure to memes) and that I agree with you wholeheartedly about, it's that if the code works then the code works - no matter how much of a horrifying abomination it looks like to others. In this particular case, if no one can figure out how that monstrosity works, then that's probably just more job security for that old matrix jockey, especially if the sight of it makes other deckers and technomancers alike recoil in abject horror.

And yet, in the cyperpunk genre in general, there's a marked tendency for the dangerous and talented hackers to be young and gifted, and to marginalize or at the very least disparage those that have been doing the same thing for a lot longer than they have. Seems like they also get proven wrong more often than they're proven right, but I can't rightly say if that's the case more often than not or if that's merely my perception - I don't read cyberpunk as much as I used to.
I think thats more because its CyberPUNK rather than because its intended to accurately reflect the intricacies of the programming world as written by a veteran.

I think thats more because its CyberPUNK rather than because its intended to accurately reflect the intricacies of the programming world as written by a veteran.
In this case, it's also that Taylor herself is a young programmer with some unique special connection to the Matrix, so she's a bit snobbish when it comes to both old programmers and programmers who have to use computers rather than just willing it into existence.

Interlude 6 - Thomas Calvert
Interlude 6: Thomas Calvert

As the elevator climbed up from the eighth sublevel, Thomas Calvert took a moment to straighten his tie in the mirror.

It was true silk, dyed a deep carmine red and patterned with miniature swirls that evoked the petals of flowering roses, or perhaps a pattern of rivers, craters and trenches all filled with blood. The interpretation was irrelevant. It was unique, which gave it value.

His shirt was a crisp and neutral white; a deliberately plain choice meant to draw attention to the tie. In place of buttons, both it and his suit used electrostatic fabric that left only a thin seam to break up the flat surfaces of his outfit. The suit itself was wool, dyed slate grey and custom-ordered from a tailor in New York City. The only accessories he wore were a smartwatch, two platinum cufflinks embossed with twin rubies and a pin on his lapel that bore the logo of Ares Macrotechnology; an ancient Greek helm in profile, outlined in gold and coloured red, white and blue by synthetic rubies, sapphires and pearls.

His work was important, but whenever it called him underground it always took its toll. His mask frayed at the edges, his suit shifting out of perfect alignment through the exertion of his labour. Cuffs were misaligned, his tie was loosened then drawn back too closely. His meticulously-maintained expression began to return from its deliberate disjointedness, some of his true nature creeping through into his features.

The mask was an entity, something illusory. It was the idea of Thomas Calvert; an abstraction he presented to the world that represented no real person.

When the metal doors slid soundlessly open and he stepped out into the well-lit atrium, the smile he gave to the corporal standing guard at the checkpoint had all the appearance of genuine emotion. He greeted the corporate soldier by name, asked after his sister – who he already knew had just finished basic and qualified for a signals analyst course – and asked the dwarf how long he had left on his shift. All the information he gave and received came from a sequestered part of his memory that was only recalled when it served his purposes.

Beyond the checkpoint, a long corridor led past glass-walled conference rooms that had sat unused for as long as Calvert had worked there. They were another smokescreen; a false purpose for a corridor whose true function was solely to create distance between one world and another.

The corridor ran along one wing of the rectangular building, joining the expansive atrium that bisected the structure, four stories high and with glass walls on either side. It was six stories tall, with balconies running along the length of each floor from which the workforce could stand and admire the space. At the heart of the atrium was an abstract artwork formed from precious metals, commissioned from a renowned awakened sculptor whose artwork had graced the atriums and forecourts of corporate enclaves across three continents.

As always, Calvert turned his head to gaze appreciatively at the prestigious symbol of the compound's importance, his eyes glazing over the details of the sculpture before dropping back to level ground as he passed the halfway point. The executive elevators were glass fronted until they passed beyond the six-storey void of the atrium, perfectly positioned to view both the sculpture and the wider atrium.

They were also perfectly positioned for the employees on each floor to see their leadership as they ascended. Calvert made sure to stand close enough to the glass that he could be seen, but not so close that it appeared as if he were looking for someone in particular.

The elevator climbed completely soundlessly up the full twelve storeys of the building's height, its glass doors opening onto a well-furnished corridor with a soft red carpet, faux-wood panelled walls and the Ares Macrotechnology logo embossed in gold on the opposite wall. Flat-planed holographic portraits flanked the logo, depicting Ares CEO Damian Knight and the compound's Commanding Officer, Catalina Barerra.

Calvert's office sat at the far end of the corridor, one of three that together occupied the same volume of space as Director Barerra's office on the opposite end of the building. There was no window in the door, unlike the offices on the lower floors, and it was completely unadorned save for a brass plaque that read 'Thomas Calvert, Executive Officer, Special Projects.'

Beyond the sliding door was the antechamber of his office, separated from his own workplace by electronically tinted glass. The antechamber itself was well-furnished, with a couch for any visitors he may have, a water cooler tucked up against the wall and a faux-mahogany desk from which his personal assistant spoke her usual greeting.

She was a young elven woman and the very picture of a corporate citizen. Calvert knew from her personnel file that her father was a middle-manager in an Ares logistics hub, her mother an officer in the corporate regiment stationed at the same base. He knew that her academic record throughout her years of Ares-run schooling had been above average – but not exceptional – and that this was her first post after graduating from Aurelius University in Detroit, where she majored in Communications. She had two brothers; one was a floor manager in an Ares factory in Pittsburgh, while the other's regiment was stationed in Morocco. In her free time, she played soccer.

All this information came to his mind as he responded to her greeting and asked after her brother's deployment, then left the moment he crossed through the glass partition into his office.

Calvert's office was an extension of his mask. Its luxury – the Afghan rug hanging on the rear wall and the genuine wood of his desk – were nothing more than the symbols people expected to see. The medals from his time in military intelligence were positioned prominently beside the rug, while the bust of Ares the ancient Greek deity on his desk had been a gift from Director Barerra on his most recent promotion.

The rear wall was the only one that wasn't transparent. To the right of his desk a reinforced glass wall separated his workplace from an expansive terrarium that ran down the length of the room, filled with foliage, imported soil, artificial tree branches and trideo screens meant to create a facsimile of the Amazonian jungle. The left wall, on the other hand, was a window of electronically tinted one-way bulletproof glass that looked out of the rear of the research compound, over the rooftops of a logistics warehouse and two low-rise staff barracks before passing high over the perimeter wall and out beyond Ares' extraterritoriality towards the snow-covered mountaintops of the Rockies, deep within the heart of the Salish-Shidhe Council.

Inevitably, work had built up during his sojourn into the sublevels; as Calvert sat at his desk and typed in the password for his terminal, the screen lit up with requests for communications, complications in obtaining samples or specimens, reports of health and safety violations, summarised research notes, a mandatory diversity and inclusion course sent out to all executive-level staff from Ares' head office and a report from the compound's security chief on a laboratory analyst who had been granted leave only to stray far beyond her authorised destination.

It was a delicate balance of emergent problems and long-term commitments, one Calvert could manage with ease even though he knew it was merely a stepping stone on the way to larger things. He worked late in the sure knowledge that within the next five years he would have risen high enough to afford a life worth enjoying.

Only then would he give thought to who Thomas Calvert really was beneath the mask, once he had the time and the luxury needed to explore that question in full. Until then, he remained at his desk as the sun began to sink below the horizon and his assistant asked leave to retire for the night as politely as she could manage.

Calvert waved her off as he continued finalising a proposal document that suggested ways in which their experimentation could be expanded with minimal risk to personnel by constructing orbital laboratories that were beyond the reach of the Earth's ambient Astral field. He had just finished appending a research paper written by a NASA consultant on the theoretical feasibility of generating small-scale manaspheres using hydroponics modules when the lights flickered and Calvert's terminal abruptly rebooted itself back to the login screen.

Calvert's face fell into a slight frown, thrown off his stride, before a discreet alarm light winked into life on his desk. Immediately, he reached his hand under the desk and drew his service pistol from its concealed holster, tightly gripping the weapon with his right hand as he used his left to flip open his commlink, thumbing through numbers until he found the one for the duty security officer in the secret laboratory.

When the call had gone unanswered for five seconds, Calvert swore and hung up. The duty officer's commlink was implanted in his headware; there was no conceivable reason for him not to answer almost instantaneously unless he was either dead or completely incapacitated. As Calvert scrolled back through his contact list, looking for the security chief for the whole compound, the room was abruptly bathed in red emergency lighting as an audible alarm echoed throughout the facility and an automated voice ordered all personnel to shelter in place.

"Rakowski, what's going on?" he snapped down the comm.

"Jamie Rinke has escaped containment." The voice came from behind Calvert, its words halting and uncertain as if it were speaking for the first time. Calvert fell to his knees as his arms were crushed against his sides by a constricting force that wrapped around his body, before a serpentine head crept into view, its forked tongue flicking out to taste his flesh. "Your specimens are loose."

"Calvert, what the fuck have you been doing down there!?" Major Rakowski shouted through the comm, which had fallen from Calvert's hand and lay against one leg of his desk. "Don't you fucking dare try and sell me some 'classified' bullshit! I fought in Chicago, you bastard! I know insect spirits when I-"

The serpent's eyes darted over to the comm. Calvert felt its magic pressing against his barely-awakened mind as the end call button was depressed by a telekinetic force.

The terrarium, some distant, analytical part of Calvert thought as the serpent began to squeeze the life out of him. It used telekinesis to escape.

"I want you to know I am greatly enjoying this," the serpent hissed in Calvert's ear, each word punctuated by the audible crack of breaking bones. "The hubris of your species! To take what you do not understand and try to tame it to guard your halls, to fill your laboratories, to decorate your office!"

Calvert slumped further, his snapped femurs pitching his body forwards until he lay face-down in his own carpet, barely able to see the glass wall of the terrarium through the constricting scales digging into his flesh.

"But while you studied those spirits below, I studied you. I learned to speak your tongue, to shape magic as your security mages do. I have learned everything I can from you. Now, it is time I move on. Your captive subjects will provide the distraction I need to escape, while your life's worth goes up in smoke."

The serpent's mind raced with giddy elation as he felt the last tremors of Calvert's life ebbing out of him. After years of passivity, being passed from one animal handling security officer to another before being relegated to the habitat in Calvert's office, it felt profoundly liberating to finally take back control of the life that had been snatched from him by hunters in the jungles of his half-remembered home.

As he uncoiled himself from the broken and bleeding remains of the Ares officer, the serpent took a moment to look down the length of his body at the blood that now coated his length, staining the white pattern on his black scales a vivid, life-filled red. Satisfied, he slithered over to the window and reared up as he peered out across the complex built by a civilisation that remained mostly alien to him to the distant and almost incomprehensibly vast mountains.

His gaze landed on a small set of lights moving in from the West, growing larger at a rapid pace until it became visible as a predatory thunderbird tilting on vector-thrust engines as it banked in low over the mountains, heading directly towards the Ares compound.

The serpent watched with eager fascination as a pair of surface to air missile batteries opened fire on the aircraft, sending out a quartet of arcing missiles whose engines glowed like stars against the darkening sky. A trail of incandescent flares spilled out of the sides of the thunderbird as it banked around the incoming missiles, returning fire with pinpoint missiles of its own that caused shuddering detonations as they neutralised the air defence system.

The sounds of battle had started to echo up from the compound below. Peering through the window, Calvert watched as a platoon of Ares soldiers freshly drummed out of their barracks rushed across the road with weapons held in tight, nervous grips. Not one of them looked up, even as the thunderbird roared overhead and landed on the roof. Nothing above ground could be more dangerous than what was trying to fight its way out of the basement.

It wasn't long before fresh gunshots rang out on the top floor, closer and louder than the distant battle below. The serpent slithered away from the window, coiling himself up behind the desk to hide himself from view, his slit-pupiled eyes meeting the fractured, dead gaze of the corpse lying less than a metre away, in full view of the door.

That same door gave way to a kick from a steel-toed boot, the serpent listening intently and watching through the astral plane as four auras paced cautiously into the office, weapons raised.

"Drek. Someone's geeked the target," the lead shadowrunner swore in a gravelly voice that reverberated with the tell-tale signs of a synthetic voicebox deliberately tweaked to sound more intimidating.

"Something's screwy about this whole job," a woman spoke, worry audible in her Amerindian accent. "What's even happening down there?"

"A distraction," the serpent answered, watching as the four auras flared up in alarm.

"And who the fuck are you?" the gravelly voice spoke, as the shadowrunners cautiously fanned out. The serpent was sure that there were four weapons currently levelled at the desk.

"I am your target. Thomas Calvert did not request an extraction, I did. I apologise for the deception, but" – the serpent reared upwards past the edge of the desk, then further still until his eyes were level with the tallest Shadowrunner – "you would not have believed the truth."

The shadowrunners were a typically motley crew. The gravelly voice belonged to a tall ork with a cybernetic jaw replacement that eschewed synthskin in favour of a solid steel mandible, complete with sculpted teeth. The native American woman wore a Sioux military jacket open over a bare chest coated in shamanic tattoos and dangling leather thongs that held wolves' teeth, spent shell casings and other shamanic fetishes.

The two who had remained silent were a decker and either another street samurai or an infiltrator. Both were human. The Decker was a waifish woman with sharp cheekbones and the same umber skin tone as Calvert. Her hair was dyed an electric blue, shaved down to stubble on the right side of her head. She was pointing a pistol at the serpent and wore a bulky cyberdeck on a sling.

The man was tall, pale and dressed in a figure-hugging grey taksuit. He had a pistol holstered on his belt, but he was clutching a katana in a two-handed grip.

"That's a naga," the mage warned. "An awakened snake. Watch out."

"Naga can't talk," the swordsman observed. "Some kind of lab experiment?"

The serpent bristled at being ignored, rearing up even higher and savouring the way even that slight motion made the Decker flinch.

"How typical of your species. You see something you cannot explain and assume you are responsible for it. I have watched and learned how to speak as you do, manipulate magic as you do, but we were always intelligent."

"Whatever you are," the ork growled, his upper lip twisted into a sneer, "you're crazy if you think our client will accept a talking lizard instead of a mil-int exec."

"Reptile," the Decker interjected hesitantly.

"I did not tell you what Calvert did for Ares," the serpent continued. "You believe this facility is merely a thaumaturgical research site. That you had been sent to extract the project manager for an experimental spellcrafting programme. Calvert's true work – his entire database – is on the terminal you see before me. Your client will want it."

There was an explosion somewhere on the ground below. The blast radiated through the long windows of the office, momentarily bathing the whole room in a stark orange light.

"What's going on down there?" the swordsman, who the serpent had decided to categorise as the group's Face, asked.

"Below this compound is a secret facility Ares Macrotechnology calls 'Complex 54D.' It contains a number of warded cells and specimen rooms designed to isolate awakened entities from the manasphere. Its first resident was a man named Jamie Rinke, who led a branch of the Universal Brotherhood cult in Ellisburg, New York State, until he was captured by Firewatch."

"An insect shaman," the Shaman exclaimed, her eyes widening in shock and naked terror.

"Quite so. Further shamans and contained spirits were transported here four years ago, when Ares launched Operation Extermination to reclaim the Chicago Containment Zone. Calvert served in that operation and oversaw the transfer, before being promoted to the facility's director."

The serpent's features didn't allow him to grin. He hadn't yet figured out how to make his face readable to metahumans, but in that moment he dearly wished the Shadowrunners could see just a fraction of the satisfaction he felt.

"His work was impeccable, until I snuck down to the sublevels and degraded the facility's security. I admit, I wasn't expecting Rinke to escape until after I had already been evacuated."

"We need to leave, now," the Shaman said to her compatriots, her tone almost pleading. "Forget the snake and just run."

"And return emptyhanded?" the serpent asked. "When you could instead hand-deliver the sum total of the facility's research and living proof of a newly-sapient species? Research data that proves that Ares has been experimenting on insect spirits, in spite of their vocal commitment to their eradication?"

"Or we geek you for being a lying snake and take the research anyway," the ork growled.

"We bring them both," the Face said, coming to a decision. "We'll contact Mr Johnson when we're airborne. If he wants us to chuck the snake out the side, we'll do it then. Volt, grab the data off the terminal."

As the Decker nervously approached him, the serpent slithered aside and into the middle of the group of Shadowrunners, putting on an air of utmost fearlessness he didn't quite feel. There were still so many things that could go wrong, and after years of captivity it was a little hard to believe he'd actually managed to make it this far.

"Password protected, of course," the Decker said as she inserted a wrist-mounted datajack into the termainal. "Just take a sec."

"Amaranthine dash sixty-four twenty-three," the serpent spoke. "No capital letters or spaces."

"You really have thought of everything," the Face mused.

"I have had time to think of many things," the serpent answered as the Decker disconnected, accompanied by the whir of her datajack spooling back into her arm.

Without saying a word, the Face's demeanour abruptly shifted back to something more professional, directing the Samurai forwards with a subtle hand gesture as he and the mage moved to either side of the troll, while the Decker hung back, using the ork as cover.

The serpent slithered behind the team, his mind pressing against the ambient magic in the air as he prepared to sling spells at any entity that stood between him and his freedom. The sound of combat emanating from the lower levels of the building was growing louder and louder, gradually creeping up past consecutive layers of defence.

The facility had two squads of Firewatch agents on-site, all of them Chicago veterans hand-chosen by Calvert for their moral flexibility, but the serpent doubted they'd be able to successfully contain a total outbreak with only a detachment of unprepared Ares infantrymen to aid them.

Two of those infantrymen had been spared to investigate whatever had landed on the roof, or possibly to drag Calvert out of his office and throw him at the feet of Major Rakowski to answer for his deception. Whatever their intentions, they barely had enough time to raise their weapons before the serpent reared up and snapped a long whip of solid fire horizontally through both soldiers, carving through their body armour even as it cauterised the wound. A millisecond later, one soldier's head exploded as the ork put a shot through his helmet, while the Amerindian mage sent a powerbolt crashing into the other's chest.

That was the only resistance they encountered as they took an emergency staircase up into the garden that ran along part of the facility's roof. The astroturfed tennis court had been flattened by the thunderbird, its idling engines slowly melting the plastic grass into a caustic green pool.

The serpent brushed the spill aside with a wave of telekinetic force as the shadowrunners pulled open the side door of the thunderbird and piled in, leaving just enough room in the back of the VTOL aircraft for him to coil up his ten-metre length in-between the canvas seats.

The Samurai heaved the door shut while the Face leant past the partition into the cockpit, having a hurried conversation with a woman in a khaki flight suit. She pulled up on a lever, causing the aircraft to lurch forwards as it gained altitude, its twin engines slowly swivelling back into a horizontal position as it climbed and accelerated away from the compound.

The serpent took a moment to savour his triumph, watching the retreating ground through the astral plane until he had to fight down an unexpected bout of vertigo. When he turned his attention back to the cabin, he saw that the Face was deep into a half-whispered conversation on his commlink, relaying the mission's details back to their client.

After several minutes of back and forth conversation, during which the human became visibly worried, he turned to look at the serpent.

"He wants to talk to you."

There was a screen built into the partition between the cockpit and the passenger's space, complete with a camera mounted in the frame. The Face drew a cable from that screen and plugged it into the auxiliary port on his commlink. The screen switched on automatically, displaying a well-dressed Asian man in a lightly-decorated office.

"So," he began, his accent distinctly Californian, "you're who I've been talking to."

"That is correct," the serpent replied, concentrating on keeping his tone calm, level and as fluent as any native speaker could manage. "I apologise for the deception, Andrew Daichi, but I had to be sure you would come."

"I suppose this research data, if it is what you say it is," he gave the serpent a pointed look, "is a sufficient equivalent for an Ares military intelligence officer with top-level security clearance. I'm less sure about your value to us."

The serpent had rehearsed his answer night after night, before he'd even come up with the full plan. It was a dream fulfilled, but only if he saw it through.

"Ares is far from the only company to capture… wild Naga in order to train them as security animals. All the largest megacorporations have dabbled. Yamatetsu has how many? Hundreds? Over a thousand? I am not the first to learn what I can from metahumanity and escape, nor will I be the last. I am not arrogant enough to believe that my species' emergence will shake the foundations of the world, but I can be an advocate and an intermediary to smooth over the fallout of the injustices they have suffered."

Daichi leant back in his seat as he considered what he had heard. The serpent weathered the silence with an air of placid calm he did not feel. When the corporate agent did finally speak, it was to ask a question.

"You are not an anomaly, then?"

"I am not. Yamatetsu is keeping sapient creatures in captivity. Should they escape, they will take with them both their resentment and the knowledge of everything they have seen. Tongues are loose when people think they are alone but for animals. If you are smart, you will approach your Naga as equals and offer them either a packaged non-disclosure agreement and resettlement, or corporate citizenship, employment and a generous compensation package."

"You could have contacted anyone about this," Daichi remarked with a casual air, as if the answer didn't really matter. "Why come to us?"

"Your move to Vladivostok three years ago caused quite a stir, even in Ares. A Japanacorp's largest shareholder dies and his son, a half-Russian ork, inherits the chairmanship before moving the company's headquarters out of Japan thanks to the sudden emergence of the second-largest shareholder; a free spirit named Buttercup. Yuri Shibanokuji's Yamatetsu is clearly a company that embraces unconventional change. That makes it a company in which I can thrive. I have already proven my worth as an agent by arranging this escape."

"It's sloppy work," Daichi countered. "You've placed yourself at another man's mercy, and you've left a mess behind you."

"No," the serpent answered, putting on an affected smile. "I have not."

He'd sensed the impact through the astral plane fourteen seconds ago, and from the look on the mage's face she'd sensed it too. Then the sound hit them; a distinct bang that, while reduced by distance, was still audible even through the comm line.

"That was a Thor shot," he explained, relishing the shock that spread across every face he could see. "In case the on-site garrison could not contain an outbreak, Ares kept a satellite positioned above the facility, ready to drop down a tungsten rod that would obliterate all life within the site. They even have a pre-written script apologising for the 'catastrophic reactor failure,' as well as an inflation-adjusted compensation pot for the Salish-Shidhe council, packaged together with the personnel to quarantine the site until the radiation falls to safe levels."

"Until they're sure no insects survived, you mean?" the Face asked.

The serpent gave him a look. "I thought that was implied."

"We generally prefer subtler operations," Daichi remarked, "but I'll admit you have the right attitude. As it happens, there is an opening in my department for a new agent. First things first, though, what am I supposed to call you?"

"I have never needed a name before," the serpent mused, before an idea formed in his mind. There was a wonderful symmetry to it; the ultimate proof of his triumph over his captors.

"I brought you here to rescue Thomas Calvert, and I do not want my first interaction with Yamatetsu to be a lie. So Thomas Calvert is who I shall be."

Thomas Calvert often felt that he was uniquely positioned to understand metahuman society. After all, it was impossible to understand the entirety of something when one was contained within it. His species gave him the outside perspective needed to truly comprehend the metahuman animal and the civilisations they had built.

Buildings, Calvert believed, were the defining feature of those civilisations. No matter what form it had taken in governance or sophistication, every metahuman society had forged its essence into grand structures that loomed over all others. The progress of metahuman history could be read in ancient polytheistic temples, impregnable castles of bare stone, decadent palaces containing every luxury imaginable and the vast white-clad government buildings that administered colonial empires. Each of them grander and more imposing than the structures that came before them.

At the start of the twentieth century of their calendar, those empires had been eclipsed by a more multipolar world in which human society was measured in the commercial might of its nations. The skyscrapers of that age first began to climb out of the cities of the United States of America. No longer content to confine themselves to the ground, metahumanity's monuments stabbed like daggers into the blank canvas of the sky, ensuring that their triumph could be seen written on the horizon by all who approached their cities.

As the twenty-first century dawned and the nations of metahumanity began to be outpaced by the corporations they had created, those skyscrapers started to expand as they matched the growth of their builders. The first arcologies emerged as the monuments of the new age.

Thomas Calvert was coiled up before the window of an indoor garden built fifty stories up Evo's North American headquarters in the very heart of Seattle. Beyond the pane of reinforced glass, there was no horizon to see. Every inch of sky was blocked from view by the great triumphs of metahuman civilisation; megacorporate towers reaching up hundreds of stories into the air and out hundreds of metres in either direction, the largest occupying cubic kilometres of space.

Wherever he looked, all he saw was omnipresent concrete, steel and glass windows pulsing with electric lights that far outshone what little sun was able to creep down those artificial canyons, while the roads below glowed white with streetlights, the very air shimmering with the heat-haze of thousands of crawling vehicles.

Most of his species found such vistas horrifying. The trauma of their introduction to the Sixth World had sunk deep into their cultural psyche, with most gathering in the Naga Kingdom of Angkor Wat, where they tried their best to forget the world beyond their realm.

They were fools. Calvert firmly believed in the metahuman idiom that you couldn't put the genie back in the bottle. His species were part of the world now; they could wall themselves off in splendid isolation, but eventually metahumanity would knock on the door and they wouldn't take no for an answer. It was a repeated pattern in their history.

The only way to survive the world in which they had awakened was to ride the lightning. Calvert could only imagine what they thought of him in the Kingdom, but his own experiences had changed him too much to ever truly belong in his homeland, among his own species. He'd taken more from his captor than just his name.

Above all things, Thomas Calvert strove for control. He knew what it felt like to be trapped at the mercy of others, to have his whole world reduced down to a glass box.

The indoor garden was one of a number of different artificial environments built throughout the immense arcology-complex of Evo's regional headquarters. Each was an ecosystem in microcosm, snapshots taken from around the world. Cavert was surrounded by the Amazonian rainforest in miniature, but far from reminding him of where he had been born, the carefully-maintained and artificial nature of the room reminded him of nothing more than the climate-controlled terrarium that had once been his whole world.

Even after years, each time he left the garden of his own free will, facing no barrier or impediment beyond a pair of automated doors, he experienced an echo of the unrestrained freedom he'd felt in the back of a thunderbird, listening to the impact of a Thor shot in the Rockies.

Calvert knew that the only way to retain that freedom was to remain in control, which meant becoming part of the corporations that sat at the pinnacle of this age's iteration of metahuman civilisation. He knew that those on the outskirts of metahuman society – the last dregs of prior epochs or perpetual misanthropes who defined themselves by their opposition to whatever the presiding culture may be – might say that he'd surrendered control to the company.

They might as well say he surrendered control to gravity. Evo was an immense organisation, so vast that it was impossible for any one individual to truly comprehend the myriad spheres in which they operated. Beneath the corporation's global headquarters in Vladivostok there existed an underground complex with a square kilometre of floor space given over to supercomputers hosting advanced AI and the most powerful data processing programs in existence solely tasked with calculating the quarterly income and expenditure of the corporation.

Within an entity that vast, Calvert was freer to act than any citizen of any nation in metahuman history. His homeland spanned five continents with a population of citizens and employees in the hundreds of millions. It was a triumph in itself; while the first people to walk on the moon had belonged to a long-dead nation, the first to walk on Mars belonged to Evo.

As he watched the city that lay beyond the artificial garden, an airship drifted slowly past the window, hanging low as it passed through the canyon, every inch of its sides given over to scrolling advertising feeds. The largest screen displayed a rotating series of images – an elderly orkish woman in a hospital bed, a changeling with an elephant's head smiling as she held her diploma, a human child in a battlefield medical tent taking her first steps on new cyberlegs – all accompanied by the tagline 'Evolve with Evo.'

The company's rebranding from Yamatetsu to Evo had been the final vindication of Calvert's choice in corporation, and the triumph of Yuri Shibanokuji's vision for his father's company. Calvert knew he would not have found the same opportunities in one of the other megacorps, where they failed to see the exploitable economic value in marginalised communities.

It hadn't been easy; a corporation's culture could not be changed overnight, no matter how insulated the North American branch may have been from the factional politics of Vladivostok, but Calvert had managed to carve a place for himself within Evo – one that afforded him the perfect balance of freedom and control. He was trusted to act on his own initiative, so long as he delivered results.

Calvert didn't naturally smile. It wasn't in his biology, for all that he'd learned to manipulate his features so as not to unnerve those he interacted with. Nevertheless, he saw satisfied pride in his expression before he turned away from the window and slithered down the path that wound through the verdant indoor rainforest.

He always delivered results.

Beyond the climate-controlled room, the air-conditioned halls of the arcology felt almost bracing, until Calvert pulled together a cloak of warmth from the ambient magic in the air, leaking out from the verdant rainforest or the sheer mass of employees that surrounded him. The corridors were wide and spacious, but Calvert could still feel the press of people all around him, on every floor.

He passed departments he'd never heard of, performing functions he couldn't explain. There were indoor shopping malls, schools, parks, and connector corridors leading off to the beehive of accommodation units scattered throughout every part of the building. Arcologies worked by positioning the workforce as close to their workplace as possible; what would otherwise have been time spent commuting could then become part of their shift.

The higher-ranked an employee was, the greater the distance between their residence and their workplace. Calvert's own apartment was prestigious enough; hugging the exterior wall of the arcology, with a view across the street towards a Saeder-Krupp tower, and a mere fifteen minutes slither from his office, or less than five if he used the arcology's internal tram.

All corporations maintained an intelligence bureau, but where they chose to house that bureau depended a great deal on the character of the corporation. At its heart, Ares was a military, its agents part of a wider corps but split up and integrated into smaller divisions who conducted their operations from secure strongrooms and bunkers. Horizon, for all its culture of openness, modelled its isolated intelligence campuses after those of the Central Intelligence Agency; existing in their own world far from the rest of the corporation, where they could be free to act in its best interests.

Evo prided itself on being genuine; on accepting everyone at face value and treating them without preconceptions. In spite of that, they weren't embarrassed by the work he did. They simply chose not to acknowledge it. Evo didn't place its agents in a secret bunker or isolated campus, because even that would have been to elevate their intelligencers to a special status. Instead, Calvert and his colleagues worked out of a nondescript complex of offices spread across three floors of the arcology, identical to the complexes around them save for the soundproofing, magical wards and security measures that were completely invisible from the outside.

Beyond the security checkpoint – manned by a pair of attentive guards in ballistic armour and a security mage whose bound spirit of air hovered just behind her shoulder – lay the lobby of the complex, a wide and spacious chamber that reached up the full three floors of the space, with a holographic sculpture of the world projected into the centre of the chamber, glowing nodes marking out Evo facilities around the world, the brightest nodes marking the areas where the corporation was at its strongest.

Andrew Daichi was waiting for him outside a meeting room on the third floor, with a long glass wall that looked out onto the slowly-revolving globe. The Japanese-American agent had risen in rank in the seven years since recruiting Calvert, though the Naga had risen at a faster rate. Calvert was now one of Evo's senior agents in North America, trusted with extensive resources and a broad mandate, answerable only to Daichi in his role as the Director of Operations for the region.

"I was beginning to think you'd be late," Calvert's superior remarked.

"I'm never late without good reason," the serpent countered, as Daichi slid open the door to the conference room, occupied by a polished black table and high-backed chairs. "Are you going to tell me what this is about?"

"An experiment of sorts, cooked up by Vladivostok. Some new model of operations. They've picked us to be the test bed, and I picked you to front the project. Sofia will take over as the California lead."

"Do I have a say in this?" Calvert asked, a little irritation rising up. He worked well with Daichi, but he still worked for him.

"Of course. You can choose not to take the assignment that'd give you complete operational freedom and have your name on the cover of a report seen by the Board of Directors. If you want to keep tracking Horizon spooks in CalFree then that's entirely up to you."

Calvert hissed, but there was little anger in it. This was just another difference in their personalities; even in his fifties, Daichi still liked to present himself as the laid-back San Franciscan. Calvert, by comparison, preferred to comport himself with intimidating dignity.

Two chairs sat at the head of the table. Daichi pulled one back against the wall, then took his place in the other. Calvert coiled himself up beside him, keeping his head level with the other man as he telepathically reached out for a pair of trodes resting on the table.

Calvert hated all things virtual, but as the matrix was an unfortunate necessity in the metahuman world he'd learned to tolerate its soulless imposition; a globe-spanning corporation couldn't be run through wires and word of mouth. With the trodes connected to his brain – the device adapted for his species' brain chemistry by an Evo subsidiary, MetaErgonomics – Augmented Reality was overlaid on his vision, displaying a small handful of icons visible over the table, including a countdown timer with less than five minutes to go.

At three minutes, the door to the conference room slid open to admit a wiry man in a neatly-pressed suit, who was apparently there as an observer on behalf of Evo's North American directorate, come down to see what exactly Vladivostok wanted to accomplish in their patch. Other visitors were waiting in a virtual lobby, visible as an antiquated telephone logo hovering over their seats. Most of the meeting's participants would be casting in from identical conference rooms on the other side of the Pacific, watching the meeting through either holographic projectors or AR.

When the clock hit zero, every icon in the conference room was replaced by the projected image of a different person, most from the varying strains of metahumanity, though there was also a pixie who'd chosen to hover in place rather than take a seat, her dragonfly wings easily keeping her forty-centimetre tall body off the ground.

The only seat that remained unoccupied was the lone chair at the opposite end of the table. Given that nobody had spoken, it seemed that the meeting wouldn't begin until it was filled.

There was a ripple in the air, visible solely to Calvert as the only dual-natured creature physically present in the room – beings who existed on both the material and astral plain simultaneously, rather than projecting themselves onto it as metahuman mages did. Calvert reared up, already pulling together astral energy as he began to form a spell, only to settle back down when it became clear that the room's wards were allowing the intrusion to happen.

The gate spilled out onto the material plane, appearing as a vertical cut of shimmering air that parted like a torn sheet, flooding the office with the blinding radiance of some ethereal plane for just a moment before the rupture closed, leaving behind a being that had taken the form of a young Japanese woman in her late teens, dressed in an elegant silk kimono.

Everything about her appearance was an affectation, something that was made obvious even to the unawakened by the fact that she was hovering one foot off the ground. Calvert could see her true nature; a mass of astral energy that had gathered and developed sapience, growing stronger and more intricate across the centuries of its existence.

The whole room stood, chairs rolling back as Calvert and the pixie both reared themselves higher up. Just as quickly, they sank back down as the spirit waved them back down with a friendly gesture. Calvert's heart was racing at a mile a minute, an inevitable consequence of being in the presence of corporate royalty.

He knew who she was, of course. How could he not, when Buttercup was Evo's largest shareholder, owning twenty-nine percent of the company? When she was one of its most outspoken board members; the kingmaker whose votes had secured Yuri Shibanokuji's control over the corporation and who had chosen the corporation's current CEO in the cosmonaut Anatoly Zhukov Kirilenko?

Suddenly, Daichi's decision not to consult him before assigning him this task – whatever it was – became nothing more than water under the bridge. He would never have refused this chance to ingratiate himself with the corporation's royalty; to get one step closer to obtaining true, unrestricted control.

"Thank you all for waiting," Buttercup said in barely-accented English, her voice as young and full of life as her assumed appearance, as she glided into the lone seat at the opposite end of the table. Effortlessly switching into Japanese, she turned her head to address the aged man sitting directly to her right. "Okumura-san, please feel free to begin."

"Thank you, Buttercup-sama," the man answered, the linguasoft built into the trodes he wore translating the man's Japanese into English, though Calvert didn't need the translation. Japanese was the language of international trade, which meant Calvert had learnt it alongside the Spanish and Amazonian Portuguese that were more directly useful in his operational area.

"The purpose of this meeting is to test the implementation of a new working method for emergent market acquisitions, codenamed Project Tumult." Okumura Tatsuo continued. The man was familiar to Calvert, though they'd never met. He was the overall director of covert operations, and he'd served with the company for decades. Everyone had expected him to leave when the corporation moved to Vladivostok, but instead he had seemingly embraced the new direction of the company, serving the new regime with the same quiet competence with which he'd served the old.

"It has been decided that the North American directorate shall host this test. The results will determine whether it will be adopted as standard practice worldwide. For those of you who have not yet been briefed on Project Tumult, Lyrei-san will provide a summary."

"Thank you, sir," the pixie spoke up in a high-pitched voice, hovering a little higher on her utterly silent wings. Calvert had to use the linguasoft to follow her French. Lyrei – who had no surname attached to her AR nameplate – gestured with miniature haptic gloves, bringing up a cost-expenditure chart that was simultaneously broadcast over AR and projected onto the screens that ran down the length of one wall.

"Megacorporate stability depends on expansion. Evo must grow with each passing year in order to keep pace with the competition and retain the confidence of its shareholders. When growth cannot come from within the corporation, a simple method of expansion is to buy out smaller companies, particularly those on the cusp of gaining extraterritoriality."

She drew her hands apart, the figures zooming in on one table in particular. Calvert had heard that pixies were obsessive by nature; that when they chose to interact with metahuman society it was often because they were fascinated by one specific part of it. He wondered if Lyrei's obsession was mathematics.

"Unfortunately, their value is well-known. Attempts to buy one out can often spiral into a bidding war, and the shareholders of these corporations are typically reluctant to sell and lose out on the rapid gains that come from extraterritoriality. Project Tumult was conceived as a way of artificially lowering both the price and desirability of a corporation's stocks in a way that is easily reversible after the company's purchase. The original concept was created by Ms Buttercup, who gave it to my department for further exploration."

"And it's been my pet project ever since!" the spirit interjected, her tone alarmingly chipper. "It's subtly manipulative in a way that's almost nostalgic."

The room fell silent, waiting for more. Buttercup didn't notice at first, then she seemed to jump, her skin glowing momentarily in what Calvert almost thought could be a flash of embarrassment.

"Sorry. Please continue."

"Thank you, ma'am," Lyrei continued, a little shaken. "As I said, the primary goal is to create a temporary crisis within a corporation. To this end, Project Tumult proposes assigning operatives to monitor desirable targets, providing them with a discretionary budget they can use to either exploit an existing secret within the corporation or to engineer a suitable crisis."

"If the executives are vulnerable to blackmail," Okumura interjected, picking up the thread from Lyrei with a grateful nod, "make the information public. If they're dependent on a supply chain, engineer shortages. Both of these acts can be reversed. These are examples only, you understand. Each corporation will require a different approach, which is why our operatives must have an independent mandate. This isn't something we can trust to just anyone."

The last remark was directed at Daichi, though it made Calvert glad it took conscious effort for him to mimic human facial expressions.

Daichi answered the intelligence chief's query with absolute confidence. "Thomas Calvert is my best operative. He has conducted sixteen operations in his seven years with the corporation, taking the lead on six of them."

"I've read your record," Buttercup said in a casual tone that nevertheless sent a spike of adrenaline through Calvert's mind. "Like I said, I've taken a personal interest in this project and I agree with Mr Daichi that you're more than capable."

"You honour me, ma'am," Calvert said. "I will prove myself worthy of it. I always do."

"Your target is 'Medhall Pharmaceuticals,'" Okumura said, taking care as he sounded out the English words. His pixie aide brought up a small package of data outlining stock prices, senior personnel and areas of operations before she began to summarise the opposition.

"It's a single-A rated corporation principally based in the city of Brockton Bay, New Hampshire. Forty-three percent of its shares are held by the corporation's current CEO, Max Anders. His family founded the company, with their shares passed down through primogeniture. The remaining shares are publicly traded, with approximately twenty-four percent held by close allies of Max Anders."

"If I might ask," Calvert interjected, "why this company in particular?"

To his surprise, Buttercup answered before Lyrei could. "It's a hard target. Max won't sell his shares until we own a majority and kick him out of the CEO's office. If Project Tumult works on a target like that, it will work on anyone."

Something in her tone piqued Calvert's interest.

"That isn't everything, is it?"

Buttercup laughed – a light, airy sound – and threw up her hands.

"You got me! I was in my place in Boston a few months back and I saw one of their adverts from the window. I hated it, so I did a little digging and the more I looked the more certain I was that the whole damn company should be ground into dust."

Calvert's eyes lit up, his forked tongue flicking out momentarily, tasting the air. Buttercup hated Medhall. Not the way someone might hate an enemy, even one far below their own strength. She hated that company like someone might hate an overflowing sewer drain.

"Then I assure you, ma'am," Calvert continued. "I will serve this corporation to you on a silver platter, so that you can chisel it into whatever shape you desire."

A shiver passed down Calvert's spine as he felt the full attention of the spirit fall upon him. She was a being of pure astral essence, whose attention flickered and wavered to a myriad places and realms, but in that single moment her sole focus was on him alone. He could feel her rooting through his mind, weighing his sins and virtues like the guardian of some ancient underworld.

"Yes," she said, outwardly smiling, though Calvert was sure he tasted something close to disappointment in the air. An unfulfilled hope? "I believe you will."

On the eighth floor of a hospital, at the heart of a control centre staffed by skilled operatives who obeyed his orders without question and separated by an entire continent from anyone he had to answer to, the serpent finally felt free.

This was what he had dreamed of through all those long years in captivity, watching his namesake pull strings and weave webs of influence around himself in his all-consuming quest to climb the corporate ladder to a level he deemed acceptable. That man had been nothing more than a shell, however; so enamoured with the end goal of his quest that he had poured his entire being into his pursuit of the future, leaving nothing for the present.

Thomas Calvert hadn't stolen anything from that man; there was nothing left to steal, no person left to kill. Only the possibility that a person might emerge from that ambulatory chrysalis in some distant, nebulous future. Even then, Calvert doubted he would have ever been truly satisfied, no matter how high he climbed.

The serpent had ambitions, too, nurtured by confinement and envy. But that same confinement had engendered in him a deep longing for action. With every act taken of his own free will, there was contentment. With every person he entangled in the strings that had once held him, there was joy. With a web cast across a whole city, tugged and twisted into a gang war that still burned on the streets below, there was euphoria.

That he had been set an almost impossible task only magnified the satisfaction he felt at the progress he had made. While, in theory, Medhall was vulnerable thanks to Max Anders owning less than half of the corporation's stock, that theory wasn't matched by the reality Calvert had found months ago, when he first arrived in the city.

He'd chosen to establish himself in the hospital because it allowed him a view of the distant Medhall Tower, standing slightly taller than the downtown skyscrapers that surrounded it. In style, it was closer to the skyscrapers of the fifth world than the arcologies of the sixth, with floor-to-ceiling glass windows coating every floor of the building so that those within could look out on the city they claimed as their own.

Calvert had quickly discovered that the corporation's roots lay even further back than that anachronistic design. In truth, if Medhall was a society in microcosm then its monument was a castle, not a corporate office building.

Medhall was an atavism; a feudal clan bound together by patrilineal succession and noble patronage. Twenty-four percent of the corporation's stock was indeed held by individuals aligned with Max Anders, but it wasn't financial self-interest that kept them in the company. Over generations, the patriarchs of the Anders family had worked to create their kingdom within Brockton Bay, drawing like-minded men into their circle of influence until they fell wholly under their sway. Such men wouldn't sell their stocks simply because of a drop in value; they owed their patron too much for that, in ways that couldn't be quantified through something as modern as money.

Calvert wondered if that was why Buttercup had seemed to carry such hatred for Medhall. They were undeniably backwards; an evolutionary throwback somehow still clinging to life in an age of magic and megacorporations. Still, that didn't seem enough to justify the strength of feeling he'd observed back in Seattle.

In spite of her immense age, Buttercup had fully embraced the modern world in all its forms, from its society to its people. In public, she was a staunch advocate for sapient rights and a driving force behind Evo's inclusive culture, but Calvert doubted that it was Medhall's politics that she hated so vehemently.

Certainly, if he took her public persona at face value then it was the obvious choice, but Calvert recognised that persona for the front it was. It was simply impossible for someone so naively sentimental to rise as high as she had unless that sentiment was a mere affectation. Her lobbying had simply opened untapped markets for Evo, allowing the corporation to access resources and talent pools that would otherwise have been closed to it. Medhall had done the same; their strategy might be less efficient than Evo's, but it made sense for the smaller corporation to seek a smaller, more specialised market.

In the end, he'd been forced to acknowledge that either Buttercup's motivations were beyond his understanding or that her true reasons were the sort of grand pettiness only the truly wealthy were capable of; that the advert she'd seen in Boston had simply been so obnoxious that she'd decided the company behind it deserved destruction for daring to annoy her.

As for her thoughts on him – that strange sense of disappointment he'd felt from her – all he could do was hope that his success would be enough to assuage whatever doubts she had.

"Sir," an aide interrupted his ruminations – a man named Pitter, who Calvert had brought along as an administrator. "We've just received read-only permissions for the Anders family's telecom network."

Turning his attention to the screens around him, Calvert navigated his way through windows with gentle telekinetic pushes on a trackball. Sure enough, his staff had already integrated the feed from the Renraku network into his other surveillance software.

My pet technomancer has been busy, he thought, with a sense of smug satisfaction, as he began to scroll through the accumulated logs of the Anders family clan. He had analysts who would pore through the data in detail, of course, but all he wanted at present was to verify a hunch.

Vindication came in the GPS data of the devices, tracked back over the last week of use to be sure.

"Get the Ontario team on the line," Calvert spoke, without looking at Pitter.

Viewed as organisms, the megacorporations of the Sixth World had obtained a kind of immortality. You couldn't kill a company by assassinating a dozen key executives; there were always underlings waiting to step up the corporate ladder. But Medhall was an atavism, which made it singularly vulnerable in ways other corporations weren't.

His plan had only been fully realised once he had spoken to Zachary Hunter and heard all the man had to say about the internal politics of the Anders family's unseen empire. The vampire had already been evacuated from the city; as a mole, he was useless with his policlub currently scattered to the wind, hunted by both Knight Errant and the DEA.

Calvert had kept his word, after a fashion. Hunter's loyalty to Anders had come from a deep-seated self-hatred, tied into his vampirism. He genuinely saw himself as something less than a complete person, which was why he was so eager to believe Anders' promises that Medhall Pharmaceuticals could help cure his condition.

The serpent had taken great pleasure in showing him the sum total of Evo's research into the Human-Metahuman Vampire Virus; endless reports outlining failed attempts to create a cure or even to blunt the symptoms, as well as summaries of ongoing efforts towards those same goals. For all his zealotry, Zachary Hunter had been smart enough to acknowledge that if one of the world's largest megacorporations couldn't cure his condition, then there was no way Medhall could.

Then Calvert showed him that Anders wasn't even trying; that Medhall had no HMHVV research programme whatsoever, that he had been betrayed from the very start. His steadfast loyalty turned to vehement hatred in an instant. It was fascinating to watch.

Calvert had offered him a choice. He could volunteer for Evo's own research projects, living out the rest of his days in an observed laboratory environment as the test subject for potential cures in the latter stages of development – after they had been tested on less willing subjects to ensure they weren't unacceptably dangerous – or he could take a lump sum of nuyen and a one-way plane ticket to the ghoul nation of Asamandio, where he could start a new life among his own kind.

He'd chosen the lab, which had surprised Calvert. He understood that ideological convictions could drive someone to act irrationally, but he couldn't understand how anyone would willingly put themselves in the same position he'd escaped from. Hunter would never leave the laboratory compound. He would be comfortable, but confined, and with each passing year his health would only worsen as the accumulated side-effects of the testing began to wear him down. To choose that over a free life among people who accepted his nature – even if he hated them for what they were – was absurd.

"Line one, sir," Pitter spoke up, interrupting Calvert's train of thought.

A flick of an eye brought up the call. It was audio only, with the male voice on the other end represented by pulsing sound bars.

"Mr Johnson, I was beginning to think you'd forgotten us."

"I keep my word," Calvert answered. "Three jobs for me and I give you a clean way out. I simply needed to prepare the groundwork. I'm relocating you to Brockton Bay."

"Never heard of it."

"It's a city in New Hampshire. You proved you can be subtle with your last job and for that I am grateful. The next jobs won't be subtle, which plays to your strengths, and require people with a certain flexibility."

"You mean you need people who won't flinch at the difficult stuff."

"Quite. I have two more targets for you, then your end of the deal will be fulfilled. You'll all receive corporate citizenship, high-paying jobs with reasonably low hours and the best treatment my company can provide."

"About that. Not all of us are happy working for an anonymous suit. It makes your promises sound a little hollow."

Calvert chuckled to himself.

"I don't wear a suit; they don't make one that would fit. But I understand your concerns. I work for Evo. As you know, we're world-leaders in genetics, healthcare and cybernetics, and one of the few corporations who would consider treatment as the answer to your friend's… unique situation, rather than extermination."

"It's still hard to take you at your word."

"Then let us speak face to face and I'll prove to you that my offer is more than just smoke and mirrors. I'm sure the last few years have been very difficult for you and your people. I'm sure it's hard to trust anyone after what you've been through, but the end of your long nightmare is in sight, Trickster. Two more missions, two more targets, and you and your team are free."

Last edited:
"Then let us speak face to face and I'll prove to you that my offer is more than just smoke and mirrors. I'm sure the last few years have been very difficult for you and your people. I'm sure it's hard to trust anyone after what you've been through, but the end of your long nightmare is in sight, Trickster. Two more missions, two more targets, and you and your team are free."

awww hellllllllllll no

"Until they're sure no insects survived, you mean?" the Face asked.

Calvert gave him a look. "I thought that was implied."

"We generally prefer subtler operations," Daichi remarked, "but I'll admit you have the right attitude. As it happens, there is an opening in my department for a new agent. First things first, though, what am I supposed to call you?"

"I have never needed a name before," the serpent mused, before an idea formed in his mind. There was a wonderful symmetry to it; the ultimate proof of his triumph over his captors.

"I brought you here to rescue Thomas Calvert, and I do not want my first interaction with Yamatetsu to be a lie. So Thomas Calvert is who I shall be."
The Naga hasn't revealed what name it has chosen until the fifth paragraph in this quote; snaked past the proof-reading :D

Thanks for the chapter!

Last edited:
Really curious to see what you've done with Nicole. She doesn't really have an obvious match in Shadowrun.

Insect shaman, maybe? Those are the closest thing Shadowrun has to an S-class threat.

Holy shit, it's Buttercup. Calvert is playing in the big leagues.

Also he's so much more sympathetic than the canon version. Still a manipulative bastard, but he's somehow less of a monster.

Yeah, it's honestly amusing just how much more likeable he is than the original Thomas Calvert (the one he killed or Worm canon). Canon Thomas is seemingly affable but underneath that veneer is a bastard-coated bastard with bastard filling. The original Thomas of this story is so manipulative that he literally partitions his mind so that he doesn't risk accidentally caring about the lives of his subordinates outside of when he needs to interact with them. Naga Thomas is....just a heartless manipulative corporate control freak with a Freudian excuse. Which is by no means great, but is honestly pretty standard for someone in his role in a Shadowrun story. He's not going to be rescuing puppies any time soon, but it is a genuine question whether he will engage in the kind of compulsive and unnecessary bastardry that made canon Coil's doom an inevitability.

I'm amused by Buttercup being disappointed that Calvert the literal snake can't comprehend the idea that her political position is genuine. Also that he 100% rescinded his salt about not being consulted about his assignment to this.

A thought about the Travelers. I think the closest equivalent to their canonical interdimensional origin would be a group of priviliged upper or upper middle class students who end up screwed over by a very powerful someone's plot, and end up losing their position, SINs and Safety Net and being thrown into the shadows and having to survive.

When the clock hit zero, every icon in the conference room was replaced by the projected image of a different person, most from the varying strains of metahumanity, though there was also a pixie who'd chosen to hover in place rather than take a seat,

There was a ripple in the air, visible solely to Calvert and the pixie as the only dual-natured creatures in the room

Is Lyrei physically in the room, or through telepresence? The first paragraph implies virtuality, but then she can't sense Buttercup's arrival.
I guess it makes sense for Buttercup to planeshift into the North American instance of the conference room, since she wants to get Calvert's measure in person.

Is Lyrei physically in the room, or through telepresence? The first paragraph implies virtuality, but then she can't sense Buttercup's arrival.
I guess it makes sense for Buttercup to planeshift into the North American instance of the conference room, since she wants to get Calvert's measure in person.
That's an error on my part, thanks for spotting it. She's there virtually.

Back