Chapter 31 - Shadow Possession Jutsu
Rai sat cross-legged in his backyard, a feather in one hand and his other hand cupped beneath it. He focused his chakra, feeling the energy flow from his core and into his fingertips. With a steady hand, he released a small amount of chakra from each finger, aiming to maintain an even flow.

As he released the chakra, the feather began to lift off his hand, hovering just inches above his palm. He adjusted the flow of chakra in his fingers, tilting his hand slightly to keep the feather from falling or flying away. It required constant concentration and adjustment to maintain the feather's height and stability, as even the slightest fluctuation in chakra flow could cause the feather to become unbalanced.

He had been practicing the Feather Floatation Exercise for a week and a half, and he could already see the progress he had made. With each passing day, he had been able to release a more even flow of chakra from his fingertips, and the feather would stay afloat for longer periods of time.

Having devoted ample time to the exercise, Rai felt it was time to conclude the day's practice. He handled the feather with the utmost care, placing it back into the pouch. Following this, he allowed himself to sink into a state of serene meditation, his focus shifting to the rhythm of his breathing, allowing his chakra to replenish itself. Once he felt ready, he made his way towards the kitchen where his mother was preparing dinner.

"Hey, Mom," Rai greeted as he stepped into the kitchen. "I've been practicing the chakra control exercises from the scrolls you gave me. I believe I've managed to grasp the rudimentary stages of the Feather Floatation Exercise, although I am fully aware that my control needs more refinement."

His mother glanced at him, His mother glanced at him, "That's great to hear, Rai. But what about the Shadow Paralysis Jutsu?"

"That's precisely why I'm here," he responded, "I am certain that my hold over the jutsu has improved considerably. Can you help me out, Mom?"

She nodded, her hands busy giving the final touches to their meal. Once done, she turned to face her son fully, her focus shifting to his training. "Alright, let's do this. Show me what you've got."

Leading his mother into the spacious living room, Rai made sure to clear an adequate area for their practice session. "Alright, Mom, here it goes," Rai said, as he focused his gaze on his mother.

Rai took a deep breath and formed the Ne (rat) hand seal. "Shadow Paralysis Jutsu!" he exclaimed. His shadow surged forth, intertwining seamlessly with his mother's, rendering her immobile.

With a laser-focused concentration, Rai channeled his chakra, striving to sustain the jutsu as long as his energy would permit. His mother was now frozen in place, her expression stoic, her gaze unblinking as she willingly submitted to the effects of Rai's technique.

Rai felt the drain of his chakra, each passing second seemed to leech more energy from his body, yet he clung stubbornly to the jutsu. His teeth were clenched tightly, sweat accumulating on his brow, as he called upon every ounce of his strength.

Ultimately, the inevitability of his exhaustion couldn't be denied. As his chakra reserves hit a critical low, Rai was forced to release the jutsu. He sank to the floor, chest heaving as he attempted to regain his breath. "Held it... for 28 seconds," he said amidst labored breaths.

Even amidst the exhilaration of his efforts, the shadow of disappointment loomed large, as he had aspired to maintain the jutsu for a full 30 seconds. He cast his gaze downwards momentarily, letting himself feel the sting of disappointment. Regaining his composure after a few restorative breaths, he raised his eyes to meet his mother's, "Mom, would it be alright if I asked you for a favor?"

His mother regarded him with a raised eyebrow, interest piqued. "Absolutely, Rai. What do you need?"

Rai hesitated for a moment before speaking. "I was hoping for your permission to study the third scroll."

His mother regarded him with a contemplative gaze, taking a moment to ponder his request before giving her consent. "Very well, but I must insist on one condition. You must promise to abstain from practicing any technique from the scroll until you've sufficiently bolstered your chakra control. Rai, while I have faith in your judgement, I want to make sure that you understand the potential dangers of rushing into something you're not ready for."

Rai nodded eagerly. "I understand, Mom. I promise I won't try to practice the technique until I am ready. I just want to study the scroll and learn more about the techniques of our clan."

His mother's lips curled into a smile, her hand gently ruffling his hair. "Well then, let me retrieve the scroll for you." She then proceeded to fetch the scroll from a cabinet nearby and handed it over to Rai.

Rai took the scroll with a grateful smile and thanked his mother before making his way to the study. He settled himself at his desk in the study and eagerly began to read the contents of the third scroll.

Unfurling the scroll, Rai was greeted with the title of the technique: "Shadow Possession Jutsu." Yet, it wasn't this title that intrigued him. Rather, it was the verse inscribed just beneath it that held his attention.
"Much like a puppeteer with invisible threads,
Begins the master of shadowy dread.
He bends and twists, he breaks and shakes,
All within the shadow's dusky wake."

Without wasting any more time, Rai continued to read the scroll. As He read on, he discovered that the Shadow Possession Jutsu was actually an advanced form of the Shadow Paralysis Jutsu.

The scroll mentioned that in order to learn the Shadow Possession Jutsu, a shinobi must first attain a certain degree of mastery in the Shadow Paralysis Jutsu. The Shadow Possession Jutsu requires a deeper level of chakra control and manipulation than its predecessor, and the user must be able to maintain the paralysis for an extended period of time.

It also explicitly warned of severe repercussions should the Shadow Possession Jutsu be attempted without achieving complete mastery over the Shadow Paralysis Jutsu.

The Shadow Possession Jutsu, as it turned out, imposed a significant chakra expenditure that was much higher than that of its predecessor, the Shadow Paralysis Jutsu. It was clear that without meticulous chakra control, a user could easily exhaust their entire chakra reserve, resulting in severe physical debilitation.

As Rai delved deeper into the text, he found a comprehensive explanation of the Shadow Possession Jutsu. The manuscript indicated that this technique granted the user the ability to manipulate and elongate their shadow, allowing them to control an adversary's movements by forging a connection between their own shadow and that of their target.

Upon establishment of this connection, the target becomes entirely immobilized, forcibly mirroring the user's movements. The text went on to explain the tactical advantage of this, making it an exceptional technique for apprehending or restraining opponents.

The scroll underlined the necessity of mastering the Shadow Paralysis Jutsu as a prerequisite to learning the Shadow Possession Jutsu, given the similarity in their initial stages.

Moving forward, Rai found an intricate depiction of the procedure to enact the Shadow Possession Jutsu. The script described a precise order of three hand seals – Tatsu (Dragon), Hitsuji (Ram), and Ne (Rat) – that were integral to the successful execution of the technique. Any deviation from this sequence could result in either an unsuccessful attempt or unintended consequences.

The combination of these three hand seals - Tatsu, Hitsuji, and Ne - enabled the user to modify the properties of their extended shadow. The nature of the shadow would evolve from confining to imitating, thereby granting the user the ability to control their adversary's actions by mirroring their own movements.

Finally, it was mentioned that proficiency in the Shadow Possession Jutsu could pave the way for more sophisticated shadow techniques. This mastery would enable the practitioner to explore the myriad possibilities of shadow manipulation and uncover its secrets.

Upon concluding his reading, Rai rolled up the scroll and sunk into a moment of introspective silence, meditating upon the profound implications of the Shadow Possession Jutsu. An unease crept within him as he pondered the potential misuse of such a potent technique for malicious intent.

Exhaling deeply, Rai stood up from his desk and walked out of the study. He made his way towards the living room with a lost expression, still contemplating the potential uses and consequences of the Shadow Possession Jutsu. His mother, noticing his contemplative state, asked him about his thoughts.

Rai hesitated for a moment before answering, " "I can't help but think about what could go wrong with this jutsu," he finally admitted to his mother. "It's a powerful technique, but it could also be used for some horrendous things."

He met his mother's gaze, his eyes filled with a hint of unease, "And this is just one jutsu among many. What about the other clans? They must have their own techniques that are equally or even more hazardous." he continued, his tone carrying a sense of concern.

Yoshino nodded understandingly. "You're absolutely correct, Rai. The Shadow Possession Jutsu is just one of many techniques within our clan's repertoire, and the other clans undoubtedly possess their own formidable techniques. However, it is our responsibility as shinobi to wield our abilities with caution, always mindful of the consequences and the impact we have on others."

Placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder, She continued. "I know it can be overwhelming, but you know what..." She paused for a moment before continuing. "I originally didn't want to go, but the Chunin Exams are coming up and they will be held in the village arena.

Even though you are young, I believe it would be beneficial for you to witness the Chunin Exams. It is an opportunity to broaden your horizons and gain insight into the vast array of techniques and abilities possessed by other shinobi."

Rai's brow furrowed in confusion, " "What exactly are the Chunin Exams?" he asked, not quite sure what she was talking about.

Yoshino smiled at her son's curiosity and explained, "In the shinobi world, there exists a hierarchy based on three ranks: genin, chunin, and jonin. Upon graduating from the academy, shinobi are initially classified as genin. However, to ascend to the next rank of chunin, they must successfully navigate a rigorous examination known as the Chunin Exam. This test serves as a comprehensive evaluation of their skills, knowledge, and overall capabilities as a shinobi. As for jonin, you'll learn about that when the time comes."

Yoshino continued, "The Chunin Exams offer a great opportunity to witness the skills and talents of fellow shinobi from our village. It's going to be held three days from now, and we will attend as spectators. It will be a good chance for you to learn more about the different techniques and abilities used by other shinobi."

Yoshino smiled at Rai and said, "But for now, let's rest and get ready for dinner. It's almost time." She ruffled his hair affectionately before turning to leave the room.

You can read up to 10 chapters ahead on my patreon.

Chapter 32 - Finding a New Path
Rai smiled and bid his mother goodnight before entering his room. The moment the door latched behind him, however, the crushing weight of reality seemed to descend upon him. His breath hitched, turning sporadic and shallow as the onset of hyperventilation gripped him. Cold beads of sweat surfaced on his forehead while a sense of claustrophobia clawed at him, giving the illusion of the walls inching towards him.

In a desperate bid to regain control, Rai staggered towards the bedside table, intending to take a soothing sip of water. But as he reached for the glass, his hands, betraying his outward composure, trembled uncontrollably. The glass slipped from his shaky grasp, crashing to the floor and shattering into fragments

The resonating crash of the shattered glass amplified his spiraling anxiety, causing his internal turmoil to spin further out of control. He crumpled onto his bed, each gasping breath a battle, his mind racing with all the possibilities of danger and harm that could come his way as a shinobi.

His thoughts were a stormy sea of chaos as he struggled to calm himself down. "No, no, this isn't right...this was never part of the plan.," he thought to himself. "I can't let my fear control me like this. I can't do this." He tried to take deep breaths and calm himself down, but it seemed like a herculean task amidst his current state of disarray.

"This is not a fairytale," he thought. "This is a bloody nightmare." Vivid recollections from the day's events haunted him - the brutal sight of blood, the chilling acts of violence, the looming specter of danger It was overwhelming, too intense for him to digest. He struggled to suppress these ghastly images, yet they invaded his thoughts, unbidden and insistent.

He tried to remind himself of his training and the guidance of his mother and father, but it all felt hollow in the face of the brutality he had witnessed. The world he lived in was harsh and unforgiving, and he wondered if he had what it took to survive in it.

He berated himself, thinking, "How could I have been so naïve? How could I have failed to recognize the gravity of my actions? I was training to become a shinobi, a warrior capable of taking lives. But I never truly considered the ramifications of such a path."

He felt overwhelmed with guilt and fear, wondering if he was capable of such violence and if he could handle the weight of taking someone's life. The thought alone made him feel sick to his stomach.

The intensity of the violence he had borne witness to in the Chunin exams left an indelible imprint on Rai's conscience. It bewildered him to see even youngsters, barely older than him, display such ferocity. "If such was the norm amongst my peers, what of the adults? What about the jonin? I...I can't take this. Why was I brought into this world? What purpose do I serve as a shinobi?" His spirit was in disarray, his sense of direction adrift.

His thoughts threatened to engulf him, and in the face of the surging emotional tide, his defenses crumbled. Tears welled up, tracing hot paths down his cheeks. He acknowledged the futility of just sitting idly, he couldn't just sit there and wallow in despair.

Rai, gathering his composure, wiped his tear-streaked face, thinking, "There has to be something I can do." The notion of surrendering to this grim fate was intolerable. But could he genuinely embrace the life of a shinobi? The allure of learning martial arts or jutsu was undeniable, but to be coerced into the act of killing, that's a hard pass."

Rai was well aware of his roots and heritage as a member of a shinobi clan; abandoning this identity was out of the question. Simultaneously, the concept of taking lives as an integral part of his duty was something he found impossible to swallow. He needed to find a way to reconcile his beliefs with his reality.

As his thoughts continued to churn, a realization hit him. He didn't have to become a shinobi that takes lives; he could become a shinobi that saves lives. Rai's frantic heart gradually steadied, and his breathing normalized. "A medical-nin," he murmured to himself, his voice barely above a whisper. "That seems the most suitable path."

As Rai came to a decision, he knew the first thing he needed to do was talk to his parents about it. Yet, he found himself wrestling with the uncertainty of how to broach this subject. He devoted the remainder of the sleepless night, crafting and recrafting the conversation in his mind.

He didn't want to go against the traditions and expectations of his shinobi clan, but he also couldn't ignore his own beliefs and values.

He mentally rehearsed various dialogues, searching for the right words that would express his feelings without causing conflict. The progression of the night saw Rai's energy waning, yet his determination held steadfast. He was aware that his decision carried far-reaching implications for his life's path. In the early morning, after a long battle with his thoughts, he eventually surrendered to fatigue, drifting off into a restless sleep.

Yoshino woke up the next morning, feeling a sense of unease. She had noticed that Rai had been acting strangely the night before, and she couldn't shake off the feeling that something was wrong. Opting to give him some privacy, she chose not to intrude, allowing him to sort through his thoughts independently.

Yet as the morning hours passed, her concern amplified. Rai was typically the early bird, up before the rest, enthusiastic for training, but today, he was nowhere to be seen. His room remained quiet and untouched. She approached, gently rapping on his door, but no response came.

POV Yoshino:

I slowly pushed open the door to Rai's room and as I entered the room, I found him sprawled haphazardly across his bed, still clad in the same outfit from yesterday's Chunin Exams.

I approached him cautiously, trying not to wake him up. However, as I drew nearer, I could see that his face looked pale and was creased with worry, and I knew that something must be seriously bothering him. Gently touching his shoulder, I softly called out, "Rai? Is everything alright?"

His movements were sluggish as he roused, his eyes opening slowly. "Mom?" he mumbled, his voice hoarse from what I assumed was lack of sleep. "What's the time

"It's late," I responded gently. "You missed your training this morning. Are you feeling okay?"

He ran a hand over his face and gradually rose to a seated position, his features baring a worn-out expression. "I'm alright," he managed to voice out, almost too soft to hear. "Just had a restless night."

Sensing that there lay a deeper layer beneath his response, I refrained from prying. Instead, I mustered a tender smile and pressed a loving kiss to his forehead, assuring him to take all the time he needed to gather himself.

Suppressing any undue concerns, I resolved to not dwell excessively on Rai's apparent distress. I had faith that he would approach me in due course, when he felt ready to share his worries. For now, I needed to trust in his resilience and reassure myself that he would eventually find solace.

POV Normal:

As Yoshino departed the room, Rai lingered for a brief moment, collecting himself and inhaling deep breaths in an attempt to regain composure. He acknowledged that the time for concealing his inner turmoil had reached its limit. With resolute determination, he committed to sharing his burdens with his mother.

Changing swiftly into fresh attire, he made his way to the kitchen where the aroma of breakfast wafted through the air. His voice trembled slightly with nerves as he approached Yoshino. "Mom," he began, his tone betraying a mix of apprehension and vulnerability. "There's something I need to talk to you about,"

Yoshino turned to face him, concern etched on her face. "Of course, Rai. Is everything alright?" she inquired, setting aside the spatula and affording him her undivided attention.

Rai hesitated, his conscience pricking with guilt as he prepared to deceive his mother. However, the necessity of this conversation overshadowed his worries. Lowering his gaze briefly, he inhaled deeply, summoning his resolve before meeting her eyes once more. "Mom, I want to be a medical-nin," he said, his voice steady and resolute.

Yoshino's eyes widened in surprise, but she quickly regained her composure. "A medical-nin?" she repeated, curious. "What brought this on?"

Rai drew a deep breath, carefully recounting his observations during the Chunin Exams, the impact of the violence on his psyche, and his newfound desire to bring about change by preserving lives instead of ending them.

"I understand," Yoshino responded, her hand tenderly resting upon Rai's cheek as she offered a reassuring smile "Rai, I'm proud of you for thinking about this. Becoming a medical-nin is a noble goal, and I'm sure your father and I will support you every step of the way.

She continued, her voice filled with encouragement, "In fact, you may possess a unique advantage in this field. While the Nara clan may not traditionally specialize in medical ninjutsu, our lineage has cultivated an extensive history of expertise in medicine and the healing arts."

Rai regarded his mother with a perplexed expression, his confusion etched onto his features. "Aren't healing arts and medical ninjutsu essentially the same?" he questioned

"In a sense, they share a connection," Yoshino clarified, "however, medical ninjutsu primarily revolves around utilizing chakra to mend wounds and address ailments, whereas healing arts often encompass non-chakra-based methods such as herbal remedies, poultices, and other forms of treatment. Each holds its own significance, and having a foundation in healing arts can undoubtedly complement your journey as a medical-nin."

She continued, "As a member of the Nara clan, you possess access to a wealth of advanced medical knowledge and techniques. Coupled with your intellect and dedication, I have complete faith that you will thrive and become an exceptional medical-nin."

Rai's countenance brightened, the burden he had carried dissipating as a smile bloomed upon his lips. "Thank you, Mom," he expressed sincerely, the relief evident in his voice. "I feel better already. I'm glad I could talk to you about this."

Yoshino reciprocated the smile, her hand finding solace upon his shoulder. "Of course, Rai. I'm always here for you. Whatever path you choose, our unwavering support will be with you every step of the way."

Yoshino then turned serious and added, "But I want you to know that the path of a medical-nin is not an easy one. It requires an extensive amount of study, training, and dedication.

If you genuinely choose this path, Rai, then it demands your utmost dedication. Merely being an average medical-nin is insufficient when lives hang in the balance," she stressed. "You will bear the weight of your comrades' well-being and survival, and that is an immense responsibility"

Rai looked at his mother with his eyes filled with resolve and determination. "I understand, Mom. I will work much, much harder than I already do. I want to make a difference and save lives. I won't let you down," he said firmly.

Yoshino smiled, proud of her son's determination. "I know you won't, Rai," she said. "We'll have to make some changes to your training schedule to accommodate your new goal, but for now, let's have breakfast." She turned back to the stove and began serving up some eggs and bacon onto their plates.

Rai felt a sense of relief wash over him, knowing that his mother was supportive of his decision. He ate his breakfast with newfound energy and determination, ready to embark on a new path and make a difference as a medical-nin.

Chapter 33 - A New Beginning
Year 62 (After Konohoa was established).

Yoshino fussed over Rai's clothes, adjusting his collar and straightening out his shirt. "Are you sure you don't need anything? Do you have everything packed? Your books and writing materials?" she asked, checking his backpack. "And don't forget your lunch, did you pack it?"

Rai gave a soft chuckle, amused by his mother's attentiveness. "Yes, Mom, I have everything. You've already checked my bag twice," he said, the corners of his eyes crinkling with amusement.

Yoshino exhaled gently, her gaze growing distant as she looked at Rai. "Yes, I know, I'm just...You grew up too soon, and your father is not here to see you off. He wouldn't have missed this day for the world, but..." she trailed off, her voice catching in her throat.

Rai could see the sadness in his mother's eyes and felt a pang of guilt. He knew his father's absence was a sore subject for her, but there was nothing he could do about it. Instead, he hugged her tightly and said, "It's okay, Mom. I know Dad would be proud of me, and I know you are, too..

"I should go now, or I'll be late for my first day. I'll catch up with you in the evening," he said with a smile before grabbing his backpack and heading inside the academy.

POV Rai:
I walked up to the entrance of the Leaf Shinobi Academy, taking in the sight of the massive building in front of me. I could see other kids milling about, some chatting excitedly while others looked nervous.

The entrance was bustling with activity, with older students hurrying to their classes and instructors calling for the first-year students to gather inside the playground of the academy.

I made my way through the crowd and followed the other first-year students to the playground.

There were around 50 students gathered in the ground, most of them looking confused or scared. Some were talking to what seemed like their friends, trying to calm each other down. I took a spot near the edge of the group.

An instructor came to the playground, dressed in a black and green outfit. He wore a stern expression on his face, as if he was used to dealing with unruly students.

He had high cheekbones, a straight nose, and a strong jawline. His dark hair was pulled back into a neat bun at the nape of his neck. His eyes were a deep brown, and they seemed to bore into each and every one of us as he spoke. His stance was rigid, and I could tell that he wasn't someone to be messed with.

He called out for everyone's attention and instructed us to quiet down and line up.

I followed the instructor's directions and lined up with the other students. As we formed a line, I found myself in the middle of the group. I glanced around at the other students, most of whom were still fidgeting and whispering nervously to their neighbors.

I couldn't help but feel a bit out of place among them. While I was certainly nervous, it did help that I was around 29 years old now if I took into account my age from my previous life.

The instructor cleared his throat and spoke out loud. "Welcome, students, to the Leaf Shinobi Academy," he said in a deep, commanding voice.

"We have gathered out here to wait for the Hokage, who will be arriving shortly," the instructor continued. "He will be here to impart some words of wisdom to our newest students. But before that, let me introduce myself. My name is Hiroshi Nakamura, and I will be your homeroom teacher for the duration of your time here at the academy."

Hiroshi 's voice was stern, but there was a hint of kindness in his tone that made me feel at ease. He then continued, "I expect everyone to be silent and respectful in the presence of the Hokage. Any misbehavior or disobedience will not be tolerated and will result in punishment."

Just then, a voice came from the side, "Now, now, Hiroshi. They are just kids."

POV normal:

The voice belonged to an older man with a with a wise and experienced aura. His face bore the lines and wrinkles that come with age, yet his sharp, dark eyes gleamed with intelligence and determination. He was dressed in a red and white robe and a hat with the symbol of the Leaf Village on it. His white, spiky hair was tucked under his hat and his chin was adorned with a distinctive goatee that gave him a distinguished appearance.

It was none other than Hiruzen Sarutobi, the Third Hokage of the Hidden Leaf Village. He walked up to the front and stood beside Hiroshi.

Hiroshi bowed respectfully to the Hokage and greeted him, "Lord Hokage, it's an honor to have you here with us today." The Third Hokage gave a small smile and returned the greeting.

Hiruzen then turned his attention to the first-year students, who were gazing at him in awe. He regarded them with a warm and gentle smile before beginning to speak.

"Young shinobi of the Hidden Leaf Village, it is a pleasure to be here with you today. You stand at the threshold of a remarkable journey. As you embark on your path to becoming fully-fledged shinobi, you'll encounter trials and tribulations, but you'll also experience great joy and achievement.

During your time here, you will face innumerable challenges and hardships. Your bodies and minds will be pushed to their limits, and at times, you may even question the path you have chosen. However, it is in the face of adversity that we truly discover who we are and what we are capable of achieving. Do not shy away from these obstacles; instead, face them head-on, and let them forge you into the exceptional shinobi that I know you can become.

Remember that you are the future of the Leaf Village. You carry the hopes and dreams of your families, your friends, and all those who have come before you. Your strength, your wisdom, and your commitment will determine the course of our village's future.

As you train and grow, never forget the bonds that connect you to your comrades. In the world of shinobi, teamwork is essential. Your successes and failures will not be yours alone, but shared with those who stand beside you. Cherish and protect each other, for in doing so, you will find strength beyond measure.

Lastly, always strive for greatness, but do not forget the importance of humility and compassion. These qualities are the foundation of a true shinobi's heart.

I have complete faith that each and every one of you possesses the potential to achieve greatness, to leave an indelible mark on our world, and to become beacons of hope for generations to come. So, as you venture forth into this new chapter of your lives, remember the values and principles that define the Hidden Leaf Village. Carry them with you, and you will not only become exceptional shinobi but extraordinary human beings as well."

As Hiruzen concluded his speech, the faces of everyone around Rai were flushed red, and their eyes sparkled with awe and admiration. The powerful words of the Third Hokage had stirred a profound sense of pride and determination within each and every one of them. They stood tall, shoulders squared, and hearts filled with a burning passion to embrace the path that lay before them.

Meanwhile, Rai wore a funny expression on his face as he observed the reactions of those around him. He couldn't help but compare the situation to his previous world, where five-year-olds would have started to fall asleep by now, simply because they wouldn't understand the complexity of such a speech. This contrast between the two worlds amused him and made him realize just how different his current environment was from the one he had known before.

The Hokage noticed the varied reactions among the children and chuckled softly. "Alright, I won't bore you any further," he said with a warm smile. "I'll leave you in the capable hands of your sensei, who will guide you through your training and help you become skilled shinobi. Remember, the journey may be tough, but with hard work and dedication, you can achieve greatness. Good luck!" With that, he nodded to the Hiroshi and made his way out of the training area.

Hiroshi, sensing the anticipation and excitement among the students, motioned for them to gather around. "Alright, everyone," he called out in a firm yet friendly tone. "Please follow me to our classroom." With that, he turned and started to walk towards the building, the eager young students following closely behind.

Upon reaching their destination, Hiroshi stopped in front of a door with the label "Classroom 1-A" inscribed on it. He swung the door open, revealing a spacious room with rows of desks and a chalkboard at the front. Natural sunlight filtered in through the large windows, creating a warm and inviting atmosphere.

"Welcome to Classroom 1-A," he announced, gesturing for the students to enter. The young shinobi eagerly filed into the room, their eyes taking in every detail of their new learning environment.

Hiroshi looked around at the students, "Alright, everyone, please find a seat and make yourselves comfortable."

The young shinobi quickly scanned the room for an empty desk, excitedly chattering with one another as they found their places and settled in for their first day of class.

Rai's eyes were drawn to a vacant seat near the back of the classroom, right beside the window. He made his way through the room, careful not to bump into anyone, and slid into the seat. The view of the courtyard and the sky beyond provided a calming background, and he thought it would be a perfect spot to observe both the class and the outside world during lessons.

Once all the students had found their seats and settled down, Hiroshi began to distribute their class schedules. He moved from desk to desk, handing each student a neatly printed timetable detailing their lessons and activities for the upcoming weeks. As the students eagerly scanned their schedules, their sensei patiently waited for everyone to become familiar with their new routine.

As Rai looked over his schedule, he noticed that it was exactly as he had expected. There were no shinobi-related subjects listed. Instead, the timetable consisted of mundane subjects like history, science, mathematics, and geography.

The realization hit Rai that he would have to attend the academy despite having already studied all of these subjects and being surrounded by hyperactive children wasn't going to make the experience any less challenging for Rai. Their boundless energy and excitement seemed to be in stark contrast with his more mature mindset.

As Rai wallowed in despair, a voice called out to him from the seat next to him. "Hey, are you alright?" The concern in the voice snapped Rai back to reality, and he turned to see a friendly face looking at him.

The voice belonged to a young boy with spiky black hair and gentle onyx eyes that seemed to be filled with wisdom beyond his years.

Chapter 34 - Shisui Uchiha
The voice belonged to a young boy with spiky black hair and gentle onyx eyes that seemed to be filled with wisdom beyond his years. His fair skin contrasted with the dark color of his hair and he wore a simple dark blue shirt and matching shorts. The most striking feature about him was the deep red Uchiha crest emblazoned on the back of his shirt.

The boy noticed Rai's curious gaze and extended his hand with a friendly smile. "Hi, my name is Shisui Uchiha. Nice to meet you," he said warmly.

Rai hesitated for a few moments, taking in the boy's friendly demeanor and genuine smile. Then, deciding to return the gesture, he extended his own hand and shook Shisui's firmly. "Hi, I'm Shikarai Nara. It's nice to meet you too," he replied, offering a small smile of his own.

"Are you okay? I noticed earlier that you were looking around a bit...weirdly. Is something bothering you?" Shisui asked.

Rai hesitated for a moment, not quite sure how to explain his feelings. He then offered a small smile and replied, "It's nothing, really. I'm fine."

Before their conversation could proceed any further, their sensei called out to the class, "Alright, everyone, I would like each of you to come to the front row one by one to introduce yourselves. This will help us all get to know each other better."

He then proceeded to lead by example, standing at the front of the class and saying, "As I mentioned earlier, my name is Hiroshi Nakamura. I have been a shinobi for many years, and I am honored to be your homeroom teacher this year. I look forward to helping you grow and learn as we work together."

With that, Hiroshi continued, "My dream has always been to serve our village in the best way I can. As a teacher, I hope to pass on my knowledge and experience to the next generation of shinobi, so that you can protect and uphold the values of the Hidden Leaf Village."

He then gestured for the first student to step forward and begin their introduction. The students watched attentively as their classmates took turns sharing their names and a little bit about themselves, including their dreams and aspirations.

The students' introductions varied widely; some were shy, barely managing to get their words out, while others were loud and brash, seemingly craving attention. The classroom atmosphere shifted with each new speaker, reflecting the diverse personalities of the young shinobi.

Finally, it was Shisui's turn to introduce himself. He stepped forward confidently, his demeanor calm and composed.

Shisui stood at the front of the class, his eyes radiating determination. "Hello everyone, my name is Shisui Uchiha. I am six years old," he said, his voice steady and clear. "My dream is to become a true shinobi of the Hidden Leaf Village, to protect our home and the people within it."

After finishing his introduction, Shisui looked around at his classmates with a warm smile. "Let's all get along and support each other during our time here at the academy," he said, his tone encouraging and friendly. With that, he gave a slight bow to the sensei and the class before returning to his seat next to Rai.

Following Shisui's introduction, it was now Rai's turn to share his information with the class. He got up from his seat, feeling a bit lazy and unhurried, and slowly made his way to the front of the classroom.

Keeping his introduction short and precise, he said, "Hi, my name is Shikarai Nara. I'm five years old." He paused for a moment, considering what else to say before continuing, "My dream is to become a medical-nin and help save lives. Let's all work hard together."

After completing his introduction, Rai offered a lazy smile to his classmates. He then turned around and casually made his way back to his seat beside Shisui, settling in for the remainder of the class introductions.

As the remaining students took turns introducing themselves, the atmosphere in the classroom grew livelier.

After the last student had finished, Hiroshi stood up and addressed the class. "Alright, everyone, we will begin our first class in five minutes. I need to step out for a moment, but I expect you all to remain seated and not cause any fuss in the classroom. When I return, we will start our journey as aspiring shinobi. Understood?"

The students responded with a chorus of "Yes, sensei!" before Hiroshi exited the room, leaving them to their own devices.

Despite their sensei's warning, the room quickly filled with excited chatter and laughter as the students eagerly discussed their introductions, dreams, and expectations for the upcoming lessons. Rai and Shisui, however, remained relatively quiet, exchanging only a few words as they waited patiently for their sensei to return.

Soon enough, Hiroshi returned to the classroom, and the excited chatter died down as the students eagerly anticipated their first lesson. Hiroshi clapped his hands to get their attention, and with a firm yet gentle voice, he announced, "Alright, everyone, let's begin our first class.

He proceeded to explain the timetable, saying, "We will have three classes from morning until lunchtime. After lunch, we will have two more classes. This will be our daily schedule, so please make sure you're prepared and ready to learn."

As the day progressed, the students attended the rest of their morning classes, covering a variety of topics such as mathematics, history, and geography.

Rai found himself struggling to stay focused and alert during these lessons. He had to try really hard not to fall asleep, stifling yawns and occasionally pinching himself to stay awake.

Fortunately, lunchtime arrived soon enough, providing the students with a much-needed break. They had an hour to eat, relax, and socialize with their classmates before resuming their afternoon classes.

While most of their classmates excitedly left the classroom for the playground, Rai and Shisui remained at their desks. Rai, feeling exhausted from trying to stay awake during the morning classes, decided to take advantage of the break to catch up on some much-needed rest. He leaned back in his chair, closed his eyes, and drifted off to sleep.

Shisui, on the other hand, seemed content to stay at his desk as well. He used the time to quietly review some notes from the morning's lessons, occasionally glancing over at the slumbering Rai with a small, understanding smile. The classroom was unusually peaceful, with the sounds of laughter and play from the playground faintly echoing in the background.

A few minutes into Rai's nap, he suddenly stirred awake with a start, realizing that he had been drooling in his sleep. He quickly wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, feeling slightly embarrassed. As he looked around to see if anyone had noticed, he caught Shisui's eye.

Shisui grinned playfully and said, "Looks like you really needed that nap, huh?"

"Honestly, I was bored out of my mind." Rai said, rubbing his eyes.

He then glanced over at Shisui, who seemed to be working on something quietly at his desk, and asked, "Why aren't you playing outside with the rest of the kids?"

Shisui looked up from his work and replied, "I just wanted to get a head start on some of the assignments we were given. Besides, I like the peace and quiet in here."

He then gestured to the empty classroom and added, "Plus, it's not often we get the chance to enjoy the classroom like this without all the noise and chaos."

Shisui then turned the question back on Rai, asking, "What about you? Why didn't you go outside to play with the others?"

Rai thought for a moment before answering, "Well, I was really tired, and I thought I could use the time to catch up on some sleep. But now that I'm awake, I guess I'll just enjoy the peace and quiet too."

Both Rai and Shisui took out their bentos and began to eat in silence, enjoying the calm atmosphere of the empty classroom. They quietly savored their lunches, appreciating the break from the lively chaos of their fellow students playing outside.

As they continued to eat, Shisui glanced at Rai and asked, "I noticed you didn't seem very interested in class earlier. Is everything alright?"

Rai looked at Shisui and thought for an answer. Finally, he sighed and told him, "Well, the truth is, I've already studied all the mundane subjects offered at the academy. I guess I just didn't find the lessons very engaging since I'm already familiar with the material."

Shisui raised an eyebrow and asked, "Have you ever considered applying to skip grades? If you already know the material, it might be more challenging and engaging for you to advance to a higher level."

Rai's eyes widened in surprise, and he asked Shisui, "Wait, can we actually do that? I didn't know that was an option here at the academy."

Shisui nodded in confirmation, explaining that skipping grades was indeed possible for students who demonstrated exceptional knowledge and abilities.

Shisui continued, "Since the entire first year is filled with mundane studies, you can just apply to skip grade one and move to grade two, where the shinobi-related classes are introduced. If you can prove that you have a solid grasp of the basic subjects, the academy might consider letting you advance to the next grade."

Rai, eager to take advantage of the opportunity, asked Shisui, "Can I take the exam as soon as tomorrow, or is there a specific time when it's held?"

Shisui thought for a moment before responding, "I'm not sure about the exact schedule, but you should be able to talk to our sensei about it. He should have all the information you need and can guide you through the process."

Rai nodded thoughtfully, considering Shisui's advice. "I think I'll consult my parents first and see what they think about it."

Shisui agreed, "That would be for the best."

He then looked down for a moment, clearly embarrassed, before hesitantly asking Rai, "Um, what are you planning to do after school today?"

Rai was taken aback for a moment before he responded, "Oh, I don't have any special plans. I'll just be going home after school."

Shisui, still appearing a bit embarrassed, hesitantly asked, "Would you... maybe want to hang out after school? We could do some training together or just relax, whatever you prefer."

Rai, seeing Shisui's hesitance, responded enthusiastically, "How about we meet at training ground three? That way, we can do some training together and relax afterwards if we want to."

Shisui's face lit up with a broad smile, clearly excited by Rai's positive response. "Great! I'll be there around 4. Looking forward to it," he said, his enthusiasm evident in his voice.

After finalizing their plans, Rai and Shisui engaged in casual conversation, discussing mundane topics and getting to know each other better. They chatted amiably until their afternoon classes began, signaling the end of their lunch break.

Chapter 35 - The Spark of a New Rivalry
Rai and his mother were strolling down the familiar path back home, the academy's buildings gradually fading into the distance behind them. Her gentle hand securely held Rai's as they walked in comfortable silence, enjoying the peaceful ambiance of their village during the late afternoon.

Rai was clearly distracted, fidgeting with the hem of his shirt and casting sidelong glances at his mother. Despite the tranquil ambiance, his mind seemed to be elsewhere, tangled in some thought or concern that made him unusually restless.

As they arrived home, Yoshino turned to Rai, her eyes filled with concern. "Rai, what's the matter?" she asked gently. "You've been fidgeting all the way home. It's clear you have something on your mind. Want to talk about it?"

Yoshino gave Rai a moment to collect his thoughts, observing him with a patient and understanding gaze. After a few seconds, she prompted, "Did something happen in class today, Rai?"

"No, no, nothing of the sort," Rai quickly reassured her. "It's just that we received our schedule for the year today and it only included all the mundane subjects." Rai's voice trailed off, his tone expressing his clear disappointment.

Rai continued, his gaze meeting his mother's. "I already have a good grasp of all the subjects. Nishimura-sensei taught me well. I was really bored in class today," he admitted.

He let out a sigh, running a hand through his hair. "I couldn't do anything but fall asleep today, and I'm certain it's going to be the same for the rest of the year. It's all too simple, nothing challenging," Rai expressed his concern, his words hinting at his craving for more stimulating learning.

"Go on, Rai. There's clearly more on your mind," Yoshino urged.

Rai hesitated for a moment, then continued, "Well, I kind of spoke with a classmate of mine today. He told me that students can apply to skip grades by taking early exams." His voice trailed off, as if uncertain about how his mother would react to this information.

Yoshino sighed softly and replied, "Yes, Rai, your father and I are aware of that option. But there's a reason we didn't suggest it or push you towards skipping grades."

She continued, "The sooner you graduate, the sooner you'll be involved in the ongoing war. Even if you become a medical-nin, you'll still be part of a three-man cell and could be sent to the front lines. This isn't something we want for you, not at such a young age."

At his mother's words, Rai's face turned pale. Rai's mind was a whirlwind of thoughts, but one stood out clearly above the rest. This was the reality he had been trying so hard to avoid. He didn't want to become a part of the war, he just wanted to be a medical-nin and save lives, not be a part of taking them.

Seeing the worry etched on Rai's face, Yoshino laid a comforting hand on his shoulder. "But there is a solution, Rai," she said gently, her voice breaking through his turbulent thoughts.

"Here's what we can do," Yoshino continued, "You can skip your first year at the academy. You've already grasped the basics, there's no need to waste time re-learning them. However, you will stay at the academy for the remaining years, as planned. This way, you can move forward at your own pace without rushing into the battlefield."

Rai's face lit up at his mother's words. It was a solution that he hadn't considered, and it brought him a great deal of relief. His eyes sparkled with newfound enthusiasm, a stark contrast to the worry that had been clouding his expression just moments ago.

Just as Rai was about to respond, Yoshino held up a hand to stop him. "Before you get too excited, I need to discuss this with your father," she cautioned. "This isn't a decision I can make on my own. I will write him a letter regarding this matter. Depending on when his reply comes, you'll have to continue attending the academy as a first-year student until then."

Finding his mother's proposal acceptable, Rai couldn't help but express his gratitude. He reached out and gave his mother a heartfelt hug, his young face beaming with relief and appreciation. "Thank you, mom," he said sincerely, his arms tightening around her in a warm embrace.

Yoshino returned the hug, smiling at her son. After a moment, she pulled back and gave Rai a gentle push in the direction of the kitchen. "Go on, get something to eat," she said warmly, "And remember, whatever happens, we're doing this for your best interest."

As Rai was about to head towards the kitchen, he paused and turned back to his mother, "Oh, mom," he started, "I forgot to tell you. I made plans to meet Shisui at training ground three around four. Can you reserve it for us?"

As Rai started to leave the room, Yoshino called after him, "Wait, Rai. Who's this Shisui?" Her eyebrows furrowed slightly in confusion.

Turning back towards his mother, Rai replied, "Shisui is the one who told me about the option to skip a year. His full name is Shisui Uchiha. He's a classmate from the Academy."

Yoshino's eyes widened as she processed Rai's words, before a bright smile spread across her face. Suddenly, she rushed towards her son, pulling him into an exuberant hug. "My little Rai, you've finally made a friend your age!" She exclaimed, cartoonish tears streaming down her face in an exaggerated display of joy. Rai could only blush in embarrassment at his mother's dramatic reaction.

Despite the sudden outburst of emotion, Rai managed to pull away slightly, his cheeks glowing a light pink. "Mom, he's not... he's not a friend, just a classmate," Rai tried to clarify.

Yoshino chuckled softly, "Sure, sure, whatever you say," she said playfully. "Now, go on, get something to eat. You don't want to be late. I'll make sure to reserve the timeslot for you."

As Shisui moved towards the training ground, he couldn't help but feel a surge of happiness. He had always been somewhat solitary, not because he didn't want companionship, but because making friends had always seemed like a puzzle that he could never quite solve.

While there were children of similar age within his clan, Shisui found it challenging to truly connect with them. They often struck him as immature, their worldviews limited and their concerns trivial. Their incessant chatter and childish antics felt alien to him, a stark contrast to his own, more mature disposition.

The thought of Shikarai Nara brought a hopeful glimmer to Shisui's thoughts. He found Rai different from the rest; he didn't possess the typical childish demeanor that was so common among their peers. There was a sense of maturity and understanding in Rai that Shisui found refreshing and intriguing. He felt a spark of connection, a sense of camaraderie that he hadn't felt with the other children in his clan.

As Shisui entered the training ground, his eyes landed on Rai, who was deeply engrossed in practicing the feather floatation exercise. His eyebrows shot up in surprise as he noticed not one, but two feathers floating in the air, each gently swaying above one of Rai's palms.

Shisui was taken aback by the sight. Even though he was hailed as a prodigy within his clan, controlling even a single feather was a challenge for him. He had managed to master the skill, yes, but it required significant concentration, and he definitely couldn't handle two at once with the same ease as Rai.

This revelation about Rai's exceptional chakra control was a bit shocking, but also intriguing. It made Shisui realize that Rai was not just another ordinary student at the academy. Despite his laid-back appearance, he clearly had a level of skill and control that was far beyond the average student's. This only added to Shisui's interest in getting to know Rai better.

On top of Rai's outstanding chakra control, Shisui also realized that Rai was the only other student in their class who was from a well-known shinobi clan like himself. This fact made Rai stand out even more in his eyes.

The shinobi clans of Konoha were known for their unique abilities and techniques, and the Nara clan, to which Rai belonged, was no exception. Shisui found himself curious about Rai's abilities and how they compared to his own.

Not wanting to disturb Rai, Shisui tread lightly, making sure to minimize his noise as he moved further into the training ground. He found a spot a fair distance away and started stretching to warm up his muscles.

Once he finished stretching, Shisui took a deep breath and reached into his pocket, pulling out a small, soft feather. He placed it on the palm of his hand, focusing his chakra to his hand. His brow furrowed in concentration as he tried to imitate Rai's control, trying to get the feather to float.

Shisui was known as a prodigy in his clan, but even he found the exercise difficult. He could only float one feather at a time and that too with considerable effort.

Both boys continued their solitary practice for several minutes, each engrossed in their own world of focus and control. Rai's concentration was so intense that he didn't even notice Shisui's arrival until he decided to take a break.

Slowly, Rai opened his eyes, the sensation of floating feathers gradually fading. He was pleasantly surprised to see Shisui there, practicing the same feather flotation exercise.

Rai quietly observed Shisui, not wanting to disrupt his concentration. He watched as Shisui continued to practice the feather flotation exercise. Once Shisui finally finished, Rai decided to make his presence known.

"Hey, Shisui," Rai greeted, How long have you been practicing?"

"I've only been here for a few minutes. I saw you practicing and didn't want to disturb you." Shisui responded.

"Are you done with the feather flotation exercise?" Rai asked

"Yes, I just finished," Shisui replied, a hint of curiosity in his voice. "Why do you ask?"

Rai's eyes sparkled with excitement as he asked, "Would you like to spar? It could be a good way for us to learn from each other."

Shisui hesitated, only looking at Rai but not giving an answer. It seemed like he was contemplating the offer, perhaps unsure of whether or not to accept it.

Observing Shisui's hesitation, Rai quickly added, "We'll only use taijutsu, nothing else. Just a friendly match to learn from each other."

Snapping out of his thoughts, Shisui gave Rai a small nod, "Sure, I'd be happy to spar with you."

The reason for his initial hesitation wasn't fear or reluctance, but rather surprise. As someone considered a prodigy within the Uchiha clan, Shisui rarely found others his age who could match his abilities, much less spar with him.

"All right then, let's not hold back," Rai declared, a gleam of anticipation in his eyes. The two of them stepped back, creating ample space between them as they adopted their respective fighting stances, ready to begin their spar.

Chapter 36 - Duel of Prodigies
Rai launched himself forward, his fist streaking towards Shisui's face. Shisui, however, narrowly dodged the attack, swaying his head to the side just in time, his response swift and precise.

Capitalizing on the momentum, Shisui lashed out with a swift counter-attack, his leg sweeping out in a low arc aimed at Rai's legs. But Rai was quick on his feet, deftly hopping over the sweep and retaliating with a roundhouse kick.

Shisui crouched low, just in time to evade the whirling kick. Seeing his chance, he moved in closer, his fists a blur as they came swinging towards Rai. The latter was no less fast, his arms working like a shield, deflecting and countering Shisui's rapid strikes.

Rai lunged for another punch, aiming for Shisui's face. But Shisui twisted his body with an uncanny agility, making Rai's fist fly over his shoulder. In a quick turnaround, Shisui closed in on Rai, his elbow targeting Rai's chest. Rai reacted quickly, leaning back just in time, his own fist flying towards Shisui's face. But Shisui was just as quick, ducking under the punch and aiming a low kick at Rai's waist.

Rai, showing an impressive level of flexibility, bent his body in an almost impossible angle, narrowly avoiding Shisui's kick. Straightening himself quickly, he stepped into Shisui's guard, the palm of his hand thrusting forward like a spear. It hit Shisui square in the chest, sending him skidding backwards.

Shisui managed to catch himself before he could fall, his feet digging into the ground, creating furrows in the dirt. His eyes widened in surprise as he looked at Rai, clearly impressed.

He had barely a moment to steady himself before Rai was upon him again, an almost unceasing storm of punches. Backhand, fronthand, jabs - they came at him in a relentless flurry, each one as unpredictable and quick as a lightning strike. Shisui was left to defend, a constant battle to block each strike as they came.

Though Shisui was quick, the relentless assault from Rai began to wear him down. He was fast, but Rai was faster, his attacks a constant stream that left Shisui no room to breathe. Sweat trickled down his face, his breaths came in ragged gasps.

Suddenly, Rai feigned a punch, causing Shisui to raise his guard. Capitalizing on Shisui's momentary distraction, Rai shifted his weight low, and with a surge of power coursing through his leg, unleashed a ferocious kick to Shisui's unprotected chest.

Rai's kick connected solidly with Shisui's chest, the impact so strong that it lifted Shisui off the ground. Shisui's eyes widened in surprise as he felt his feet leave the earth, and the next moment, he was hurtling backward through the air.

He collided with the earth with a gut-wrenching thud, a cloud of dust billowing around him as he skidded across the floor. His body tumbled, rolling over and over in the dirt, the momentum from Rai's ferocious kick forcing him to roll uncontrollably until he finally came to a halt.

For a moment, Shisui laid there, his body sprawled out and unmoving. His chest rose and fell rapidly as he fought to draw breath back into his lungs, his eyes closed as he battled the waves of pain rolling over him. But he couldn't afford to stay down. Ignoring the burning pain in his chest, he forced himself to roll onto his stomach and push up from the ground, determination burning in his eyes.

Gritting his teeth, Shisui hauled himself onto his hands and knees. He stayed there for a moment, swaying slightly as he fought against the lingering dizziness. He willed his legs to support him, his muscles trembling slightly as he rose.

Rai watched as Shisui got up, a look of surprise on his face. He hadn't expected Shisui to recover so quickly, but he was impressed by his determination.

Wiping the sweat from his brow, Shisui settled back into his fighting stance, his eyes never leaving Rai. He managed to crack a small grin, his voice coming out in a ragged breath. "That was a good kick, Rai," he said, "But don't think you've won just yet."

Shisui charged towards Rai, His right leg snapped up, a lightning-fast kick aimed straight for Rai's head. But Rai was quicker. He dropped into a split, his body just inches from the path of Shisui's kick, and then using his hands for balance, he flipped his body upside down in one swift, fluid motion.

Rai's legs spun around in a powerful roundhouse kick. Shisui, still recovering from his missed attack, didn't have time to dodge. Rai's foot connected with his face, sending him flying backwards once again.

Shisui landed hard on his back, the impact leaving him dazed. He groaned, clutching his throbbing face.

"You..." Shisui groaned, sitting up and cradling his throbbing face with one hand. He blinked a few times to clear his vision, then looked at Rai, eyes narrowing in confusion. "What the hell was that?" He demanded, trying to sound angry despite the ringing in his ears.

Rai just grinned at him, a sparkle of triumph in his eyes. "Just a little something I've been working on," he replied, looking quite pleased with himself. "You okay?"

Shisui grumbled something under his breath, too quiet for Rai to hear, but he slowly pushed himself back to his feet. He was still a bit wobbly, and there was a visible bruise forming on his face. Yet, despite the pain, his resolve seemed unbroken, his spirit as fiery as ever. After all, he was an Uchiha.

The air around them seemed to hum with tension as Rai locked his gaze on Shisui. "It's time to end this," Rai declared, his voice ringing clear and resonant in the stillness.

And with that, Rai bolted. His legs were a blur as he sprinted towards Shisui, the distance between them closing in mere moments. When he was just a few feet away, Rai exploded upwards, his body twisting in mid-air.

His leg shot out, connecting with Shisui's chest once, twice, and then a third time in rapid succession, his foot hitting with the force of a sledgehammer. Each kick was delivered with such precision and power that it sent Shisui hurtling backwards, skidding across the ground until he was a crumpled heap of limbs in the dirt.

Rai landed on his feet with the grace of a cat, a satisfied grin spreading across his face. He stood there for a moment, his chest heaving as he drank in the sight of his opponent. A rush of emotion welled up inside him - relief, pride, and a newfound confidence. For once, he wasn't the one on the receiving end of a beating.

Ever since Rai had discovered the truth about this world, he had been seeking out Gai for frequent sparring sessions. He had felt a desperate need to improve, to grow stronger. His reality had been shattered, and he needed something to hold onto. The martial arts, the sweaty, bruising spars with Gai – they grounded him, gave him a sense of control when everything else seemed to be spinning out of his grasp.

Those sparring sessions had been brutal, Gai showing no mercy as he taught Rai the hard truths of combat. But Rai had welcomed the pain, the exhaustion. It meant he was growing, improving. And now, as he looked at Shisui on the ground, Rai realized just how far he'd come.

For the first time, he wasn't the one being picked up off the ground. Today, he was the one standing tall. He couldn't help but wonder if this was a turning point, a sign of things to come.

Rai's brief moment of triumph faded as he realized the reality of the situation. The person he had just beaten was Shisui, a child barely six years old. A sense of unease washed over him, replacing the triumphant feelings he had just experienced.

He remembered his recent sparring sessions with Gai. Every time they sparred, Gai had taken him down easily, even when he wasn't going all out. The memories of those defeats were still fresh in his mind. The bruises had faded, but the lessons remained. He knew he had a long way to go before he could truly compete against the likes of Gai.

Sure, today he had won, but it was against a child. He couldn't let this victory go to his head. Instead, he should use it as a stepping stone, a reminder of how far he still had to go.

He glanced over at Shisui, who was still laying on the ground, clutching his face. Rai felt a pang of guilt. He knew he had to get stronger, but he didn't want to hurt his friends in the process. He made a mental note to go easier on Shisui next time.

With a deep sigh, Rai walked over to Shisui, who was still on the ground. He extended a hand to help Shisui up, a soft smile playing on his lips. "You alright, Shisui?" he asked, his voice full of genuine concern.

POV Shisui:

I stared across the training ground at Shikarai, my heart pounding in my chest. I knew he was good, but I hadn't expected him to be this good. Every move he made was calculated, his strikes were precise and powerful, and his speed... It was like nothing I had ever seen before. I felt a rush of adrenaline as we began to spar, my own skills being pushed to their limit.

He came at me with a flurry of attacks, each one faster and more powerful than the last. I tried to keep up, but he was always one step ahead. Just when I thought I had him figured out, he would switch tactics and catch me off guard. It was like trying to catch a leaf in the wind.

I managed to land a few hits, but they were nothing compared to what he was dishing out. Each blow he landed sent a jolt of pain through my body, and I could tell that he wasn't even going all out.

His movements were fluid and precise, each one carefully calculated to deliver the maximum amount of force. The way he was able to twist and contort his body to avoid my attacks was nothing short of amazing. I had never seen anything like it.

I couldn't help but feel a pang of envy mixed with admiration. Finally, there was someone my own age that I couldn't even remotely compare to. I've always prided myself on being one of the best in the Uchiha clan for my age. The elders would often compliment me on my skills and potential. But Rai, he was something else entirely.

The fight had been a wake-up call. I was no longer the best. Not when Rai was around. For the first time, I found myself in the shadow of another, and it was a feeling I didn't particularly enjoy.

But, rather than dampen my spirits, this realization ignited a spark within me. A spark of competitiveness, of determination, of a drive to better myself. I would rise to this challenge. I would not allow myself to be left behind. I would work harder, train longer, push myself further.

Just as I was lost in my thoughts, I felt a shadow fall over me. Looking up, I saw Rai standing there, a concerned look on his face. "You alright, Shisui?" he asked.

I was momentarily taken aback by his question. After our intense spar, I had expected him to be triumphant, maybe even a little smug. But instead, he was looking at me with worry in his eyes. I couldn't help but feel a little touched by his concern. "Yeah, I'm good, Rai," I assured him, managing a small smile. "Just need a moment to catch my breath."

As I lay there, catching my breath and looking up at Rai, I felt something I hadn't felt with my clan mates. It was a sense of camaraderie, a bond that extended beyond the rigid structure of the clan. It felt... different.

For the first time in my life, I felt like I had found someone who could truly understand me, someone who saw me as more than just the best of my age in the clan. Rai saw me as Shisui, nothing more. And that was something I hadn't realized I was missing until now.

Chapter 37 - The Leap Forward
It had been approximately two weeks since Rai had his first spar with Shisui. Over that time, Rai's strict daily routine hadn't wavered. Every morning he would rise with the sun for endurance and taijutsu training. After several hours of practice, he would then attend the academy. In the evenings, he would once again immerse himself in training, focusing on agility, balance, and chakra control.

In these two weeks, Rai had sparred with Shisui once more. The result was strikingly similar to their first match, Rai having a landslide victory. Shisui, despite being an exceptional shinobi for his age, was no match for Rai's unique fighting style and unparalleled control over his body.

Life at the academy proved to be a difficult adjustment for Rai. The classroom lessons were far too simple, and he found himself bored and unchallenged. To pass the time, Rai took to sleeping during class.

His teachers, noticing his disinterest, tried to engage him by asking questions. However, each time they did, Rai answered promptly and correctly, leaving them with no reason to reprimand him. Seeing that he was not disrupting the class in any way, they eventually ceased to bother him.

It was just another day, and Rai was returning home from the academy. His mother had initially insisted on picking him up after school for the first three days, but Rai had assured her that he was capable of getting home on his own. Recognizing her son's maturity, she reluctantly agreed to let him be. And so, Rai made his way home on his own each day, navigating through the bustling village streets.

As Rai reached home after another uneventful day at the academy, he began to look around for his mother. "Mom?" There was no immediate response, so he called out again as he took off his shoes. Usually, she would be in the kitchen preparing dinner, or in the living room tidying up. But today, the house seemed unusually quiet.

He made his way to the kitchen first, his eyes scanning the space, but his mother was nowhere to be found. He could see that the ingredients for dinner were already laid out, but there was no sign of his mother.

Rai's worry was just beginning to nudge at his calm exterior when he turned the corner into the living room. There, he found his mother. She was seated on the couch, a letter in her hands. Her eyes were focused on the paper, her expression unreadable.

"Mom?" Rai called out again, this time louder. His mother finally looked up from the letter, her eyes meeting his. Rai took a step towards her, his brow furrowed in concern. "Are you alright?" he asked, his eyes studying her face carefully for any signs of distress.

"Oh, Rai," Yoshino said, looking a bit startled. "When did you get home? I'm sorry, I was so engrossed in this letter from your father." She waved the letter slightly to indicate it.

Curiosity piqued, Rai moved closer, peering at the letter in Yoshino's hands. "What did he say?" he asked, his eyes scanning the familiar handwriting of his father.

"The usual, about the war and everything," she began, "but there is something new. Your father said that it's fine for you to skip a year ahead at the academy."

Rai finally heaved a sigh of relief, his body visibly relaxing. "Finally," he said, a hint of exasperation in his voice. "Any more of that and I would've..." He trailed off, not quite sure how to finish the sentence, but the sentiment was clear. The monotonous routine at the academy had been wearing on him.

His mother smiled at him, understanding his frustration. "I'll go with you to the academy tomorrow," she told him. "We'll schedule a test for you so they can evaluate your skills and determine if you're ready to move up a year."

"Even though I know you'll pass," Yoshino said, "don't be overconfident. You should still review your studies. It never hurts to be prepared."

Rai nodded in agreement and reassured his mother, "Don't worry, Mom. I'll make sure to review everything. There's no need for you to worry about me."

Three Days later:

Rai emerged from one of the testing rooms in the academy, his body heavy with exhaustion. His usually bright eyes were clouded with fatigue, and his footsteps were a tad slower than usual.

He had spent a grueling five hours in the examination room, answering questions on a variety of subjects. From basic geography village history and mathematics. Exhausted from the hours spent in the examination room, Rai's mind was a whirlwind of numbers, historical dates, and geographical facts.

The exam itself wasn't too difficult for him, but the sheer volume and variety of questions had tested his endurance. It was a mental marathon, one that left him feeling drained. But now, finally, it was over. Rai stepped out of the room, a sigh of relief escaping his lips as he felt the tension drain from his body.

Instead of heading to the training ground as he usually would, he decided to give himself a break. Today had been a day of intellectual battle, and his body and mind both craved rest.

His house welcomed him with the comforting familiarity of home. He kicked off his sandals at the entrance, trudging towards his room with heavy steps. His bed looked inviting, promising the comfort and rest he so desperately needed.

Without bothering to change, he fell onto his bed, his body sinking into the soft mattress. His eyes fluttered closed almost immediately, the exhaustion pulling him towards sleep.

The next day, Rai woke up feeling refreshed and rejuvenated after a well-deserved rest. With renewed energy, he prepared himself for the day ahead and headed straight to the academy.

Upon reaching the academy, Rai made his way directly towards the staff room, bypassing the busy corridors filled with students.

The staff room was bustling with activity as the teachers prepared for the day's classes. Navigating through the crowd, he located his sensei and received his results, discovering that he passed with flying colors.

Not wasting any time, his sensei gestured for Rai to follow him. They weaved their way through the academy, eventually arriving at a classroom filled with second-year students. The murmur of conversations ceased as they entered, all eyes turning to the new arrival.

His sensei stepped forward, capturing the attention of the students. "Good morning, everyone. I'd like to introduce a new member to your class. This is Shikarai Nara, and he will be joining you from today onwards."

Just as Hiroshi finished his introduction, another teacher walked through the classroom door. She had a kind-looking face, adorned with a warm smile that instantly put the students at ease. Her gentle eyes scanned the room, taking in the curious gazes of the students.

Hiroshi greeted her warmly, addressing her as "Miwa-san." He informed her that Rai would be joining her class, as they had discussed earlier.

Hiroshi turned to Rai, offering a pat on his shoulder. "Good luck, child. I know you'll do well in Miwa-san's class. Work hard and make the most of your time here," he encouraged before turning to leave the room.

Just as Hiroshi left the room, Miwa stepped forward and introduced herself to Rai with a warm smile. I'm Miwa Hirano, your teacher for this year. Welcome to our class. Before we begin, I'd like you to introduce yourself to your new classmates."

Rai took a deep breath and stepped forward, "Hello, everyone. My name is Shikarai Nara. It's a pleasure to meet all of you. I'm excited to be a part of this class and I look forward to learning and growing together."

As he finished introducing himself, Rai glanced around the room and noticed an empty seat towards the back. It was the third bench on the right, and the only occupant was a kid wearing a high-collared shirt that covered his mouth, along with a peculiar-looking cloak with the hood up. The mysterious student also sported black-colored glasses, adding an air of intrigue to his appearance.

Curiosity piqued, Rai made his way towards the empty seat. He took his place, offering a polite smile as he settled in. The boy glanced at him briefly before returning his attention to his studies, seemingly uninterested in engaging in conversation.

As Rai settled into his seat, their sensei, Miwa Hirano, approached him with a kind smile. "Shikarai, during lunch break, please come and collect your schedule from me. I'll make sure you have all the necessary information for your classes and activities," she informed him.

Rai nodded in acknowledgment, grateful for the guidance. "Thank you, Sensei. I'll make sure to come and get it during lunch," he replied politely.

With that, Miwa returned to the front of the classroom to continue the day's lessons.

Rai found himself engrossed in the lessons as the subjects delved into the intricacies of being a shinobi. Science class involved elements of physics, where the trajectory of kunai was taught, along with the principles of momentum and force.

In basic chakra theory, the teacher explained the fundamentals of chakra manipulation, its flow, and its importance in executing ninjutsu techniques.

During lunch break, Rai made his way to Sensei's desk to collect his schedule for the year. She handed him a neatly printed sheet of paper. Rai glanced over the schedule, taking note of the subjects, timings, and locations of each class.

As he scanned through the details, he realized that the practical training sessions would commence in fifteen days. Until then, the focus would be on theoretical knowledge and foundational concepts.

Rai realized that he had to make the most of the remaining time to study and catch up on the syllabus. He would need to dedicate extra effort to cover the two weeks of missed classes, ensuring he was well-prepared for the practical training to come.

After collecting his schedule and making a mental note of his study plan, Rai headed back to the classroom to have his lunch. He entered the room and found a seat at his desk, unpacking his lunchbox and taking a moment to relax before diving into his meal.

As Rai unpacked his lunchbox, he couldn't help but feel a pang of nostalgia. He had grown accustomed to Shisui's company. Without him around, the room felt quieter and a bit emptier.

The day went by, filled with classes and the completion of various assignments. Rai continued to observe his classmates from afar, noting their interactions and dynamics.

As the final bell rang, signaling the end of the day, Rai gathered his belongings and prepared to leave.

As he walked home, He realized that the schedule and routine he had experienced today would likely continue for the foreseeable year. The classes, the subjects, the assignments—everything seemed to fall into a predictable pattern. Rai understood that he would have to adjust and find his rhythm within this structure.

But, in the ever-shifting tapestry of existence, our plans are but feeble threads in the face of an unknown future, where destiny weaves its intricate pattern with merciless uncertainty.

Chapter 38 - Dedication and Neglect
A month had passed since Rai joined the second-year students, but his daily schedule had fallen into a monotonous routine. Each day followed a predictable pattern, with Rai engaging in the same activities over and over again.

Mornings began with rigorous endurance and taijutsu training. Rai would push himself to the limits, honing his physical strength and combat skills. After the morning training session, Rai would attend the academy, where he would spend the majority of his day.

While the academic curriculum was necessary for his growth as a ninja, it had become a mundane routine that failed to captivate Rai's interest. The repetition of the same subjects and teaching methods made the days blur together, stifling his enthusiasm.

His evenings were dedicated to agility and chakra control practice. Although these practices were essential for his overall development, the lack of variety made them feel like a repetitive chore.

Amidst Rai's otherwise mundane daily schedule, there was one glimmer of excitement and progress: the discovery of a new taijutsu kata called "Sōshūden" Kata, the Hidden Leaf's Dance of Essence. This technique, the basic foundation taught at the Leaf Shinobi Academy, provided a much-needed respite from the monotonous routine.

While Rai's integration of the "Sōshūden" Kata into his usual taijutsu techniques was a work in progress, he was making remarkable strides. His fighting style underwent a remarkable transformation. The integration of this new technique into his repertoire allowed Rai to refine his movements and elevate his overall combat proficiency, however, it also presented Rai with a new challenge: he had surpassed his classmates in skill.

Despite his recent sparring sessions and practical classes, Rai found that none of his peers could match his abilities. Not even Shisui, who had recently been promoted.

In theoretical classes, Rai quickly grasped the foundational concepts and principles being taught. The basic nature of the curriculum provided little intellectual stimulation for Rai, leaving him yearning for more in-depth and advanced knowledge.

Unfortunately, this longing for intellectual stimulation and his rapid progress had unintended consequences, leading him to become somewhat of a pariah in his class.

Rai's remarkable abilities and advanced understanding of the material made his classmates feel inadequate in comparison. Some students became envious of his progress, resenting the gap between their own abilities and his. The feelings of jealousy further isolated Rai, as his peers distanced themselves and avoided interactions with him.

Additionally, the sheer magnitude of Rai's talent intimidated many of his classmates. They were apprehensive about engaging with someone whose abilities surpassed their own. Fear of appearing inferior or saying something wrong stifled their willingness to approach Rai, creating an unintended barrier between him and his peers.

Amidst this isolation, Shisui remained the sole person who maintained a genuine connection with Rai. Shisui's clan held high expectations and strict traditions, which often placed considerable pressure on him to conform and prioritize clan duties over personal relationships.

However, Shisui saw beyond these constraints and recognized the value of genuine connections and meaningful friendships. Despite the pressure from his own clan, Shisui's loyalty and friendship remained steadfast, making him the one person Rai could truly call a friend.

But, Rai's class wasn't the only place where he was receiving attention. Despite his isolation within the class, Rai's exceptional abilities and dedication to his training had caught the eye of several influential individuals within the village.

"My lord, the rumors are indeed true," Yuudai spoke, "The Nara boy has shown exceptional abilities when it comes to taijutsu. His skills surpass those of his peers by a significant margin."

The other individual nodded, acknowledging the information. "Not only that, but his intellectual abilities also seem to be far beyond what is expected of his age. It's truly remarkable. What's even more astonishing is that I've heard he has sparred with Shisui Uchiha, the prodigy of the Uchiha clan, on multiple occasions, and has always come out on top with ease."

The lord leaned back in his seat, "Fascinating. To possess both exceptional physical abilities and a keen intellect is a rare combination indeed. Especially for a Nara."

The lord's expression grew serious as he leaned forward. "We need to take action swiftly, Yuudai. If the Nara boy continues to grow and develop at such a remarkable pace, we may soon find ourselves unable to enact our plan as intended."

Yuudai bowed deeply. "As you command, my lord. I will ensure that all necessary preparations are made promptly.

The lord regarded Yuudai with a piercing gaze, his voice taking on a menacing undertone. "I trust in your capabilities, Yuudai. But remember this: failure is not an option. You see, I have a theory that needs confirmation, and the Nara boy is an essential piece of that puzzle."

Yuudai's eyes widened, sensing the weight of the lord's warning. "I understand, my lord. I assure you, I will do everything in my power to ensure success. The consequences of failure are not lost on me."

The lord leaned forward, his eyes narrowing with intensity. "Good. I would hate to think of the repercussions should our plans falter."

Yuudai felt a chill run down his spine, "Rest assured, my lord, I will dedicate myself fully to this task. I understand the gravity of the situation, and I will not disappoint you."

"See that you don't, Yuudai. The consequences will be severe, both for you and your wife."

Yuudai swallowed hard, "I will not waver, my lord," he said firmly. With that, he bowed deeply and turned to leave.

Meanwhile, our protagonist, deep in thought, sat in his father's study. Unfurled in front of him was a scroll on anesthetics. Ever since Rai had made the decision to become an iryo-nin, he had been actively seeking knowledge on various topics related to the field.

The scroll on anesthetics was just one of the many resources he had acquired to broaden his understanding. While he hadn't yet been able to study under the guidance of a mentor or instructor, his father's study provided an abundance of material for him to cover before he could embark on his actual training.

With dedication and discipline, Rai diligently worked his way through the materials available to him. He delved into scrolls on anatomy, studying the intricacies of the human body, its systems, and its vulnerabilities. He familiarized himself with the fundamentals of diagnosis, understanding how to assess injuries and ailments accurately.

The shelves in his father's study were lined with scrolls on herbal medicine, traditional remedies, and advanced medical techniques. Rai dove into these texts, immersing himself in the properties and uses of different herbs, learning how to create healing salves, poultices, and antidotes.

But, Rai soon realized that the collection lacked specific scrolls on iryo-ninjutsu and the advanced techniques associated with medical ninja. Such scrolls, it seemed, were reserved for a select few individuals with specialized training and entrusted only to those deemed worthy by the village's medical authorities.

While the absence of specific scrolls on iryo-ninjutsu posed a challenge, Rai remained undeterred. He understood that true expertise in the field required guidance and training from experienced mentors. However, he believed that the foundation he was building through his studies in herbal medicine and traditional remedies would serve as a valuable complement to his future medical training.

Beyond his father's study, Rai discovered an opportunity to expand his understanding of medical practices. Within his clan's laboratory, where medicines were created and experiments conducted, Rai was granted permission to observe the skilled individuals at work.

Although he was not yet permitted to participate in practical tasks, Rai relished the chance to witness the intricacies of the laboratory's operations. He observed the meticulous process of extracting medicinal properties from various plants, the careful measurements of ingredients, and the precise mixing and formulation of medicines.

Under the watchful eyes of the laboratory members, Rai learned about the importance of quality control, the significance of sterile environments, and the protocols for handling potent substances. The researchers patiently explained the theories and methodologies behind their work, providing him with a glimpse into the realm of advanced medical practices.

While he yearned to take a more active role, Rai recognized the value of observation. Every moment spent in the laboratory allowed him to absorb the knowledge and techniques employed by the skilled professionals. He observed their attention to detail, their collaborative approach to problem-solving, and their dedication to improving medical treatments.

Rai recognized that his privilege to observe the laboratory operations was primarily due to his position as the clan heir. That is why he approached his interactions with the skilled professionals in the laboratory with a profound sense of respect.

He understood the significance of their work and the expertise they brought to their tasks. With this in mind, Rai always ensured that he spoke to everyone with the utmost respect, patiently waiting for them to finish their work before approaching them with his questions.

In his quest for knowledge and advancement as an iryo-nin, Rai sought guidance not only from the laboratory professionals but also from his mother. During a conversation, she revealed that starting from his third year, they would be offered elective courses, allowing Rai to choose the basics of iryo-ninjutsu as a means to establish a strong foundation for his future as a medical ninja.

As he prepared for the elective courses, he remained focused on developing his chakra control—a crucial skill for any iryo-nin.

Rai had recognized early on that chakra control was paramount to his path as a medical ninja. He understood that precise control over his chakra would allow him to perform delicate medical procedures, enhance his healing abilities, and execute complex medical ninjutsu with precision.

In his pursuit of mastering chakra control, Rai had achieved a significant milestone. He had successfully held his mother under the Shadow Paralysis Jutsu for more than 30 seconds.

While his accomplishments in chakra control were commendable, Rai had inadvertently neglected his ninjutsu training due to his sole focus on becoming an iryo-nin. The rigorous dedication he had applied to his medical studies and chakra control had left little time for the development of other ninjutsu skills, including the shadow possession jutsu.

Despite his qualification to begin practicing the shadow possession jutsu, Rai had yet to fully integrate it into his repertoire. The limited attention he had given to his ninjutsu training had resulted in an inability to effectively execute the jutsu.

The consequences of his decisions and his cowardice would soon come to haunt him in the future. Because, in the realm of shinobi, hesitation births regret, and cowardice begets an ocean of remorse. The path untraveled, the skills unmastered, yield a harvest of regret that consumes the soul.

Back