Fairy Quest: Your Very Own Alfheim Adventure!

No unlimited flight? So this would be before the Fairy Dance arc. The question then is if the whole debacle with Kayaba is still going on or not. Either way, we have some time to experiment and familiarize ourselves with everything IC before "canon", or what would be left of it now that we're here, starts.

@Thurhame, as for the song magic you can try basing it on the song magic in the Ar Tonelico games. Or you can go watch Ordinal Scale and find out how Yuna does it.

[X] Ask the Imp what's bothering her

I'm hoping for this to be Yuuki, but that's probably a long shot.
Sugou was arrested already

Sugou was arrested already
That's meta-knowledge, so it may or may not have happened yet. This fic is at least partially inspired by the quest Puella Magi Adfligo Systema, in that the main character knows everything you guys know.

@ThurhameI'm hoping for this to be Yuuki, but that's probably a long shot.
Sorry; I mentioned her ponytail specifically to differentiate her from Yuuki. The encounter roll wasn't high enough to justify having you guys meet any really major characters right off the bat.
With that said, Yuuki's one of my favorite characters too, so you'll probably meet her sooner or later.

Spriggan: Affinity for illusion magic. Apparently popular with soloers and mercenaries (why???).

This isn't really explained because nothing in the Fairy Dance arc is explained tbh, but I have a plausible idea; all the races are color coded for your convenience, so having automatic access to the ability to change colors means you can match whoever hired you or the dominant race in a given area you're soloing, reducing the chances of people stabbing you. Because nobody likes being stabbed. People can still tell you're not an ally when they get close enough to see your arrow, but if you're wearing bright red those Salamander pvpers flying overhead on the way to join the raid won't swoop down and gank you in the butt.

I've got a busy schedule this week, so I'll probably write the next segment sometime Sunday or Monday. Voting will remain open until then.
Adhoc vote count started by Thurhame on Feb 16, 2018 at 1:02 AM, finished with 32 posts and 6 votes.

Adhoc vote count started by Thurhame on Feb 19, 2018 at 2:49 PM, finished with 36 posts and 8 votes.

This isn't really explained because nothing in the Fairy Dance arc is explained tbh, but I have a plausible idea; all the races are color coded for your convenience, so having automatic access to the ability to change colors means you can match whoever hired you or the dominant race in a given area you're soloing, reducing the chances of people stabbing you. Because nobody likes being stabbed. People can still tell you're not an ally when they get close enough to see your arrow, but if you're wearing bright red those Salamander pvpers flying overhead on the way to join the raid won't swoop down and gank you in the butt.
I don't see what that has to do with Spriggans? Besides, wearing different clothes can't disguise the color of your wings.
You'd expect soloers to gravitate to Undine (heal yourself) or Cait Sith (have a pet to tank for you).

Illusion magic probably can temporarily change wing color, and "not getting stabbed by overlevelled and over geared PVP twinks when I'm fucking farming" probably has some appeal to it.

3 - Meeting People
Diplomacy roll = 9. Girl's reaction roll = 1. Whoops.

[X] Ask the Imp what's bothering her

The girl doesn't seem to notice your approach until you settle yourself on the bench next to her. Startled, she shifts to get more distance and eyes you suspiciously. "What's wrong?" you ask in your best attempt at a placating tone. Based on the girl's expression, it doesn't seem to have worked.

"N-nothing," she replies, standing up hurriedly. "I was just about to go meet up with a friend." She runs off almost before she's done speaking.

You stare after her blankly for a few seconds. Was it something you said? Or maybe she has an irrational fear of blonds? Or-

"Hey man, if you wanna hit on girls you gotta be a bit less pushy. Maybe compliment her a bit. Ease into things. You go straight for the score, you're gonna scare them off every time." The catboy approaches with an easy grin, looking none the worse for his collision with a tree.

Or maybe she thought you were just a creepy guy trying to hit on her. Come to think of it you really could have handled that better.

[X] Give the Cait Sith some flying tips

"Its not like that! She just looked a bit down and I wanted to ask what was wrong, maybe see if I could help..." you trail off as the guy's knowing grin makes it clear he doesn't believe your excuses. "Besides, I don't want to hear it from someone who flew into a tree!"

"Hey, that's not my fault!" he replies. "That tree just popped up right in front of me!" A beat passes. You both look at each other, and suddenly start laughing.

After you calm down, you offer to help him with his flying, and the two of you spend an hour or so practicing takeoffs and landings. The guy is just as bad as you would have guessed from his first impression, and you have to reexplain the controls more than once, but by the end he is showing some progress.

Eventually he excuses himself to go look for his RL friends, but before leaving he sends you a friend request.

[ ] Accept
[ ] Decline

[ ] Write-in what to do next

[X] Accept

[X] Figure out flight without the controller.

Er... Ugh, that could have gone better. Damnit dice gods! Why hath thou forsaken thee!?

Anyway,

[X] Accept

Why not?

-[X] Whether you succeed or not, try to find something in the outskirts of town later to test your skills on.

Flying is a decent way to pass the time, but we really should figure out how we are at fighting if we ever hope to explore out on our own. Or if not on our own, find a decent party and not be a dead weight.

[X] Accept
-[X] Whether you succeed or not, try to find something in the outskirts of town later to test your skills on.

[X] Accept

[X] Accept

You tap the accept button on the prompt, which is replaced by a notification that Sasamaru has been added to your Friends list. The two of you exchange goodbyes, and shortly you are alone in the park. You grin. Working with Sasamaru gave you plenty of chances to feel how your wings work, and you think you're ready to try Voluntary Flight again. Focusing on the muscles in your back, you -

Wait a minute.

Swiping open your menu, you quickly navigate to your friends list. No mistake; the name staring back at you is 'Sasamaru'. You know that name. And he definitely shouldn't be here in ALO.

[ ] What.
- [ ] WHAT.
- [ ] Try to figure out the mystery.
- - [ ] How?
- [ ] Go back to figuring out voluntary flight.
[ ] Ignore it, it's just a coincidence.
- [ ] Go back to figuring out voluntary flight.
[ ] Drop kick the QM.
[ ] Write-in.

[X] What.
-[X] Go back to figuring out voluntary flight.

We have absolutely no way of finding out if this person is the same dude or not. Not unless we can hack our way into the servers, and I highly doubt we have an ability like that.

[JK] Drop kick the QM.

[X] Ignore it, it's just a coincidence.
- [X] Go back to figuring out voluntary flight.

It's an RPG and there doesn't seem to be anything in place concerning picking the same name as other players. Plus, the name sounds cool!

[X] What.
-[X] Go back to figuring out voluntary flight.

Pushing Sasamaru's name to the back of your mind, you return to your experiment. You focus on the muscles in your back, trying to move them in the same way you felt them move with when you were flying with the controller. It's not an intuitive process, but since you already know how it feels you can tell instantly when you hit the right rhythm for takeoff. A grin blooms on your face as your feet leave the ground - you're doing it! You're flying under your own power-

The slight shift in posture from your excitement is all it takes to throw you off balance. Oops, is all you have time to think before your over-correction sends you crashing into the ground. Of course it wouldn't be that easy, given how rare it's supposed to be; but you're not going to give up, darn it! Determinedly, you stand up to try again.

And again. And again. It really isn't that easy. But you think you're getting the hang of it - Nope, crashed again. By the time your wings go dark, you can reliably take off and land, but attempting to move around still throws you off.

You get the feeling you might be overthinking the whole thing; it might be a good idea to take a break. Maybe find some monsters to fight?

[ ] Shopping! Pick a weapon. Maybe a second skill too.
[ ] Wing it! You just want to have fun; agonizing over builds is for Those Guys.
[ ] Something else (write-in).

[X] Wing it! You just want to have fun; agonizing over builds is for ThoseGuys.

Flight will come later, it seems. For now, let's just wing it.

Back